+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Shadows of the Past (R )

Spunky Chick Senior Member hfce's Avatar
    Oh this is getting good....

Hope
    "Everyone seems normal until you get to know them. "

An Accused Heretic Senior Member Kit Merlot's Avatar
    A/N: This chapter is kind of fluffy, there’s some plot development, and the romance heats up a bit. Thanks for all the great reviews.

Chapter 7

“I often wonder why Daniel was given everything, and I have nothing. He came back from the war a hero, and I came back a cripple. He walked into a good job with the railroad, where he met his pretty wife. And, I’m left here, stuck in this room, listening to the howling…”

~~~

The problem with investigating an eighty-year-old crime was the supreme lack of evidence. Any leads would not only be cold, but also dead and buried. Chloe was determined to keep an optimistic outlook, and not get discouraged. When she looked at the file, she could feel her heart start to sink. No, this did not look good at all.

The file on the murders of Megan and Emma Todd was practically non-existent. The Smallville Courthouse had Daniel Todd’s arrest warrant on file, and the findings of the Inquest, but there was no record of an arraignment, or a trial.

Chloe soon discovered why. Among the papers were the death certificates for Megan and Emma, with descriptions of their wounds. There was also a death certificate for Daniel Todd. She quickly read the document, and sat back, stunned by the turn of events.

A prison guard found Daniel Todd the morning of his arraignment. He had hung himself in his cell, using his belt. He didn’t leave a note, but the night watch noted in their log that “Mr. Todd seemed agitated,” so the guard decided to check on him twice an hour. The last check had been at 4:30am. and Daniel was still alive. The guard on the morning shift did his first rounds at 5:15am, and he discovered Daniel’s body.

Chloe closed the file, made the copies she needed, and left the file room. She needed time to process what she had just discovered. Daniel’s suicide did not bode well for his innocence. The press never reported his death, and everyone involved in the case kept silent. Daniel’s father must have paid to have it ignored by the papers, and he probably used the Smallville Police’s incompetence to force them to also keep mum. After all, the death of a prisoner in his jail cell didn’t inspire confidence with the taxpayers.

Chloe was to meet Lex at the Talon to go over their findings. She was glad to have someone else to run her discoveries by, particularly someone with a genius level IQ. Chloe had grown accustomed to the butterflies in her stomach whenever she thought of Lex.

But then again, what girl wouldn’t swoon if she knew that a suave, smooth, devilishly handsome billionaire had dreamt of being married to her? She couldn’t react all girly when she was with him, but just thinking about his confession caused her to grin broadly.

She looked at her watch and saw that she was two hours early for their date. Wait, when did this get together become a date? ‘When you started thinking about being Lex’s wife, and all the perks that come with it,’ a little voice whispered in her head. Chloe shook her head, determined to ignore her sudden attraction to her friend.

Again, the little voice spoke up. ‘Sudden attraction? Who are you trying to kid, you always thought Lex was a damn sexy man.’ Chloe sighed in resignation at the truth of the words. She had been drawn to him from the first, attracted to his wit and intelligence.

She liked that he had taken her seriously from their first meeting in the Torch office. But what had cemented her attraction to him was their first interview. He had flirted with her, calling their sparing verbal judo, and that was when Chloe first started falling for him.

But, that was three years ago, and they were actual friends now, and not just acquaintances thorough Clark. She decided that she valued Lex’s friendship and she was not going to ruin their closeness by admitting she had a crush on him.

That decided, Chloe headed towards the Talon early. She would stake out a table in one of the more inconspicuous areas of the coffeehouse, so they could talk privately.

Lex pulled into an empty parking space, and checked his watch. He was right on time for his date with Chloe. He felt his step falter for just a second, but he kept walking forward. Since when had a meeting with his friend, become a date?

Yes, he admitted to himself that Chloe was a young and beautiful woman, but the key word being young. For the past two years, he forced himself to think of Chloe as being untouchable, because she was Clark’s friend, and she was underage.

But then last year, when she was seventeen, they had worked together to bring his father down, and that was when Chloe became his friend, and he realized that he had earned her trust. Unfortunately, that was also around the time when he realized that he had more than friendly feelings for her.

But he pushed them to the back of his mind, trying for once to be noble. She was young and vulnerable, and he wouldn’t take advantage of her by seducing her.

Now, Chloe was eighteen, and he could pursue his interest in her. The only problem was he didn’t want to take the chance that she would reject him, and then ruin his friendship with her. He shook his head in disgust with his own behavior.

Who would ever see the day that Lex Luthor was afraid to go after what he wanted?

He sighed, and headed towards the coffeehouse. He had information for Chloe about the Todd family that she would find infinitely more interesting than any declaration of his feelings. He promised to help her discover who killed Megan and Emma, and he would keep his word. She didn’t need his spilling his guts to her, and complicating her life.

He would be her friend, but he guessed that sooner or later, he would cross the “friend” line. He wondered how Chloe would handle it.

He walked into the Talon, and looked around for Chloe, and immediately spotted her at a side table, sitting with Lana. Lex groaned inwardly, knowing that Chloe was getting an earful about Lana’s tortured love life.

He tried not to roll his eyes, but Lana was really very predictable. Her life starts to fall apart, and instead of fixing it herself, she looks around for someone to do it for her.

Lex approached the girls, and was unsurprised when Lana stood up to leave. She deliberately turned her back on Lex, and spoke to Chloe in an unnecessarily loud voice. “Thanks for listening to me, Chloe. You’re a good friend.” She then swept past Lex, and didn’t spare him a second glance.

Lex tired not to grin at Lana’s over-dramatic display, but he couldn’t resist smirking. “I take it you heard about Jason’s being fired and my part in it.”

Chloe nodded. “Lana thinks you’re threatened by her relationship with Jason, and that’s why you got him fired. I told her you probably had a bigger motivation than jealousy.” Chloe winced at the uncertain tone in her voice, but her old insecurities refused to die.

Lex sighed in irritation. “I told her that I thought a relationship between a coach and a high school girl was highly inappropriate. I know she thinks she’s mature, but carrying on a secret affair in a high school is not how adults behave.”

“I think you’re right about a relationship being conducted in secret is doomed to failure.” Chloe agreed, “but getting Jason fired seems a bit over the top.”

Lex shrugged. “They both knew that what they were doing was wrong, and they did it anyway. Lana is being whispered about in an unflattering way, and Jason needs to find a new job. They weren’t put in stocks, and pelted with rotted food. Neither one is actually suffering. They just have to face the consequences of their actions.”

Chloe smiled sardonically. “Just like actual adults have to.”

Lex smiled back at her, but his mood turned serious. “I can’t stop thinking about Daniel and Megan, and how they had the kind of love that I want someday. They loved and respected each other, and he obviously wanted what was best for her.”

Lex paused a moment before he spoke again. Suddenly, he wanted Chloe to know how he felt. He hoped she would understand what he was trying to say. “A man would want the world to know about his feelings for the woman he loves. He wouldn’t want it conducted in secret.”

“But sometimes relationships have to be taken slowly, because one person might not know how the other feels,” Chloe argued, frowning slightly, hoping she didn’t misunderstand Lex’s words.

Lex saw the frown that creased her forehead, and he yearned to smooth it out. “The woman probably doesn’t know how the man feels about her, because the man isn’t ready for her to know. There might be circumstances standing in their way.” Lex took a deep breath before he spoke next. “Age for example. Or the young woman in question might still be in high school.”

Chloe smiled happily when she heard what Lex had to say. Her feelings were returned but she was surprised at the reason behind his reluctance to start a relationship with her, though. “The young woman is underage?” Chloe asked archly.

Lex grinned, thrilled that Chloe understood what he was trying to convey. “No the young woman’s 18th birthday was just in November. But she’s still in high school.”

Chloe tried not to smile too smugly. “Tell the man in question that she graduates in May, 2005. That’s six months away. Can he wait that long until he has her?” Chloe couldn’t resist teasing Lex a little.

Lex fought back a groan at her teasing words. “The man has to wait a whole six months?! I’m afraid that’s just impossible.”

Chloe tried not to look alarmed, but maybe she had misunderstood what Lex was saying. She opened her mouth to speak, but Lex stopped her. He pulled her from her chair to sit in his lap.

Chloe started to giggle in surprise, but the laughter stopped when she saw the look on Lex’s face. He moved towards her slowly, giving her plenty of time to move away from him. Chloe stayed where she was, and smiled at him.

Lex finally relaxed, and gently brushed his lips against hers. He felt her sigh, and he wrapped his arms around her, holding her tightly to him. Chloe returned the kiss just as gently, and felt herself melt against him.

“By all rights, the railroad job and the house in Smallville should have been mine. MEGAN should have been mine. Other things stood in the way, but mostly, what was keeping Megan from being mine, was that brat, Emma. Something has to be done about her…”
    Last edited by Kit Merlot; 7th June 2009 at 04:24.
    KATHY

"Don't quote me to me!" Detective Danny "Danno" WIlliams, Hawaii Five-0, episode 1.8 Mana'o

"This could barely fill up Thumbelina!" SALIGIA by westwingwolf

My Fanfic Master List

My livejournal: An Accused Heretic

lexodus
    Just a Guest!
    This is getting good. I love Chloe and Lex together and I love how they just threw their insecurities out the window. This is taking a very interesting turn, the killer's-or who I'm assuming to be the killer- mind set this time.

Originally posted by Kit Merlot@Dec 3 2004, 02:51 PM

‘Sudden attraction? Who are you trying to kid, you always thought Lex was a damn sexy man.’
    Yeah, all of us do.

Spunky Chick Senior Member hfce's Avatar
    Aww they are so cute. I love murder mysteries. I can't wait to see how they solve this.

Hope
    "Everyone seems normal until you get to know them. "

NS Senior Member Senior Member autumngold's Avatar
    I really like how you have Lex explain his getting Jason fired!! :yay: Much better than jealousy!! And yay :yay: smoochies!! This story is incredible!! Love the update so much!! Please post more!! :chlexsign4:

NS Senior Member Senior Member Ami Rose's Avatar
    Originally posted by Kit Merlot@Dec 3 2004, 05:51 AM
    “I often wonder why Daniel was given everything, and I have nothing. He came back from the war a hero, and I came back a cripple. He walked into a good job with the railroad, where he met his pretty wife. And, I’m left here, stuck in this room, listening to the howling…”
    “By all rights, the railroad job and the house in Smallville should have been mine. MEGAN should have been mine. Other things stood in the way, but mostly, what was keeping Megan from being mine, was that brat, Emma. Something has to be done about her…”
    I love it! They finally give in! Yay! :yay:
    *Coffee Break 9:00 to 5:00 Daily.
    *Heaven doesn't want me and hell is afraid I'll take over.
    *Are you crazy?
    *From zero to insane in 1.5 seconds!
    *If I agree with you, then we'd both be wrong!

estrellalily
    Just a Guest!
    YAY! chlex! now they will put figure out this whole murder thing, then have great celebritory sex. hmmmmmm yes, that would be very nice.
    :
    ~estrellalily

Luthor's Power Senior Member Sab_Luthor's Avatar
    Lex fought back a groan at her teasing words. “The man has to wait a whole six months?! I’m afraid that’s just impossible.”

Chloe tried not to look alarmed, but maybe she had misunderstood what Lex was saying. She opened her mouth to speak, but Lex stopped her. He pulled her from her chair to sit in his lap.

Chloe started to giggle in surprise, but the laughter stopped when she saw the look on Lex’s face. He moved towards her slowly, giving her plenty of time to move away from him. Chloe stayed where she was, and smiled at him.

Lex finally relaxed, and gently brushed his lips against hers. He felt her sigh, and he wrapped his arms around her, holding her tightly to him. Chloe returned the kiss just as gently, and felt herself melt against him.
    awww i loved it that was so cute more please

Demented Detective Senior Member newbatgirl's Avatar
    Fifty lashes with a wet noodle to me for not leaving more FB but this is GREAT!
    I love the mystery and I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the convo between Chloe and Lex and the end of the chapter!

NS Senior Member Senior Member carebear72884's Avatar
    I love this fic, I didn't like the movie the Grudge, but this fic is much better. Your story development is much beter, cause there is one! great job, keep it coming. more soon!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information