+ Reply to Thread
Page 66 of 80 FirstFirst ... 1656646566676876 ... LastLast

Thread: The Lesser of Two Evils - NC-17, Chapter 56 (May 27, 2016)

looking for updates Senior Member somethingeasy's Avatar

Re: The Lesser of Two Evils - NC-17, Chapter 38 (Sept. 19, 2011)

Chapter Thirty-Eight

They were in a private room in an empty ward, only a few nurses coming over from Acute Care on the same floor. The nurses couldn't stay, but they would answer pages and check up on their patient. A doctor had seen Lionel in the ER, and admitted him discreetly after making him comfortable for the night. No one had told her anything directly, but she had heard 'internal bleeding' and 'CT' mentioned. He seemed disturbingly healthy, but maybe it was just Lionel's brave front.
    Heh… there’s a part of me that’s deeply, deeply satisfied and even happy at the idea of Lionel suffering from the agonies of internal bleeding. It’s only fair, considering that I’m certain that HE did significant damage to Chloe’s own internals before she was ‘rescued’ by Morgan Edge. Anyhow, it makes me very happy to imagine Lionel in severe damage and pain… and it also gives me tremendous satisfaction imagining him being held as a hostage right alongside Chloe.

It’s unfortunate that Lionel would still be probably be considered the more powerful and less ‘disposable’ in Morgan’s eyes though. Even in this situation, Chloe and Lionel are STILL not on the same level.

The woman took no offence, probably telling herself he was one difficult patient in the many she would treat. It didn't hurt that Lionel was a VIP in Metropolis. He could have had a suite for dignitaries with a huge floor plan and multiple guest sofas, but Edge had a whispered conversation with a doctor and they had all been led up to a more typical room. There was barely space for the two guards, Edge, Chloe and Lionel's bed, but the nurses squeezed past knees and elbows without suggesting anyone had to leave. It was past midnight, and any hope of being kicked out for visiting hours was gone.
    Just another infuriating fact to Chloe’s world… the rich, powerful and brutal get all the privileges and advantages… while little ‘nobody plebeians’ like Chloe herself only get to be victims. Even when Lionel’s being held hostage by a thug, he’s STILL treated with intimidated fear and respect… whilst Chloe is only casually and discreetly ignored. I rather liked the suggestion that Chloe is showing a measure of indignation about the inherent unfairness of the situation.

Only a measure of indignation though… mostly, she just seems resigned to the cynical reality that power, advantages and victories more often go to the bad guys rather than the good guys.

“That would be great, thanks,” Chloe said blankly. She turned fully toward the nurse and realized this was a person who had trained to help people. Edge had brought his guards, but they were playing nice. Maybe this was her moment to get away. “Actually -”

Everyone in the room looked at her. Edge did nothing, but Lionel's eyes lit up like he was anticipating her next words. Behind the nurse's back, one of the guards pulled his jacket away from his holster and put both hands meaningfully down as if to draw.

She wondered how she looked to the nurse. She felt battered, but her clothes covered most of it. She was so tired she felt flat. Her body was off balance and sluggish. She couldn't stop thinking – but she was barely able to breathe. She didn't know if any plan would be clever enough when she felt so terrible. This woman might well die trying to help, and it would be for nothing.
    VERY nice, Nonky. I really liked the suggestion that Chloe was feeling like an invisible nobody for a few minutes, while Lionel and Morgan practically sucked all the attention to themselves… only to realize that she’s not invisible to everyone… nope… she’s only invisible only to the people who might possibly be able or motivated to help her. As for the people who wish her harm, injury, blood and death… oh yeah… she’s VERY much the center of their attention *shudder*

She didn't know quite what to make of that. What kind of messenger would Morgan Edge have? God had angels, beer companies had blimps sailing over baseball games, and evil men should have demons; twisted, diseased heaps of flesh with eyes that spoiled everything they saw. There should be a warning before a man like Edge or Lionel had you, an omen to give a normal person a fair shot.

Upon their first meeting, she had been wary and upset. Her skin had bristled when he walked past her. Chloe had seen Lionel Luthor for a soulless moneybag. She had wanted to take his funds and use them to power her newspaper. He couldn't make her spy on her friends. She had thought then that her work was more important than her life. Snubbing Lionel seemed like a good plan – what could he really do to a minor? It had all been so underhanded and she hadn't signed anything. He had to go after her personal life because there was no legitimate deal to be made with an underage reporter for dirt on a local farmboy. It hurt to think how she'd outsmarted herself.
    Oh, Chloe! This was heartbreaking… and also amazing! I actually LOVED hearing Chloe passing recrimination on herself for not being able to recognize the kind of danger that Lionel was all along. As if it would be anywhere near normal for a sheltered teenagers to be able to truly comprehend and foretell the depths of evil that Lionel was capable of.

I loved the bitterness in Chloe’s musings as she thought about how men like Lionel should come with SOME kind of warning sign, before you started dealing with them. Otherwise, how is someone ‘normal’ supposed to have a fair chance?!? Brilliant writing and characterization, Nonky. It not only told me so much about Chloe’s views about Lionel and Morgan right now, but ALSO let me learn a lot about how Chloe viewed Lionel before this situation escalated into such horrific madness… when she still believed him to be a reasonable and ‘normal’ human being… with some limits and boundaries to the atrocities that he’s capable of committing.

I also love how Chloe’s entanglement with Lionel has now left her so much more bitter, and yet also wiser and more savvy about dealing with ‘people like that’. Which is precisely why she’s regarding Morgan Edge with such a cautious, wary, resigned attitude. Her dealings with Lionel have actually schooled her to having a more accurate idea on dealing with Edge as well. It’s unfortunate, that this kind of wisdom and knowledge if the kind that erodes away courage and the initiative to act. Speaking of which…

Adults had praised her ambition from her first days at preschool. They were somehow unable to expect her short body could hold focus and ingenuity. She was the shortest kid at day camp, and the first to figure out how to climb up to the forbidden treats cupboard. Bravery wasn't natural to her – she did too much thinking for that – but she could fake it until she accomplished her goals. What was bravery on one occasion became silly delusion. Lionel had her cornered before he'd even asked. He was working on levels she was still surprised to find existed, to say nothing of trying to get her feet underneath her to make countermoves.
    Brilliant, Nonky! I also loved the idea that Chloe’s newfound savvy knowledge about the real workings of an evil mind make her feel as if her strength, courage and ambition have all been leeched away from her. I really can’t blame her for worrying about her own sense of courage and initiative. Quite honestly, being still, silent, submissive, meek and passive might actually be Chloe’s best way of surviving through her time in the company of these two evil, EVIL men.

“I wasn't trying to find out your past,” she said quietly. “I needed something on him.”

On the bed, Lionel's eyes glowed with some appreciation she was sure she wouldn't like. He smiled fondly and folded his hands peacefully. Her best attempt at getting him in prison amused him, and Chloe swallowed the urge to scream obscenities at him. He had heard it all before, and the loss of control would waste her energy.

“I understand you were defending yourself,” Edge said pleasantly. “And it does my heart good to see a little blonde David up against old, overgrown Goliath there. I'm not averse your living your whole life, Miss Sullivan.”
    Squeee! Oh, this was such a wonderful, reassuring relief. After all that thought about Chloe’s courage perhaps deserting her… we find out that Chloe has NOT actually been rendered as gutless as she feared.

AND, this was perhaps the first time that we got to see Morgan actually talking with Chloe like a human being, rather than a victim, pawn and hostage. I was delighted to actually get a sense of respect from Morgan for Chloe. Of course, it could have just been faked, since we all know that Morgan lies more easily than he tells the truth… BUT, somehow, I feel that Morgan’s respect for Chloe might actually have been genuine and sincere… when he referred to her as ‘David’ tackling ‘Goliath’.

Heeee! And I have to admit, a part of me even preened at the idea of Lionel ALSO looking at Chloe with something akin to wonder and admiration. Granted, Chloe is right that it’s rather offensive that Lionel appears more amused and entertained by Chloe’s attempts to imprison him rather than frightened or intimidated. BUT, Lionel is exactly the kind of twisted f*ck, who would consider it a great compliment to Chloe to admire the kind of knife that she’s using to try and kill him.

“What do I have to do?”

Her morality adjusted every split second, an exercise in humility. She didn't want to be hurt, but if it meant not dying . . . She didn't want to hurt others, but she could justify it for her self defense. Lionel had taught her a lot, most of it dark and ugly.

“It's not up to you, but we'll have a decision soon,” Edge smoothed his collar and stood up to help the returning nurse with a tray. “Ah, thank you. I was just reassuring the young lady. Did you know a lot of people are afraid of hospitals?”

The nurse responded warmly to his banter, and Chloe looked down at her hands. She would make a deal if it set her free, but even that power was out of her reach.
    Oh, Chloe! It’s just amazing seeing the layers and levels of ways that Nonky makes Chloe suffer… just a little bit more! It’s not enough that Chloe has just realized that sacrificing and selling her ethics and morals for her freedom would be worth it, but then she also discovers that her morals are NOT actually worth as much coinage as she initially thought. Ouch! I don’t think there would have been any more effective way to drive the point home to Chloe… that she has nothing to bargain with!!

His shirt stuck with clammy sweat under a creased jacket. Lex could feel an overall greasy anxiety making him ugly and uncertain. He had meant his words to Lois Lane, but it was different walking into danger without any support. His guards were standing down or protecting the penthouse. When he had Chloe, Lex knew he would need a safe place to shelter her until she could go home.

He thought about calling the FBI agents, but they couldn't arrest his father until they could find him. Endangering Chloe wasn't an option. Lionel was probably not palling around with Morgan Edge for old time's sake, and saving one might mean saving the other.

He would pay a hell of a lot to save Chloe, even if it meant keeping Lionel around longer, too.
    Eep! I think it was a huge mistake to NOT inform the FBI or anyone about this ransom. Lex is essentially walking straight into danger, without so much as his own hired bodyguard to keep him safe. Lionel and Morgan have their own guards and thugs with them to act as enforcers ALL THE TIME. You would have thought that Lex would have at least considered those odds, before just rushing in for the rescue.

But, we already know that Lex has huge trust-issues… plus, there’s always the possibility, that some members of the FBI are in Morgan Edge’s pay. After all, how else would Edge have learned about the charges being gathered up against him in the first place? How else would he have learned about Chloe’s name?!? Perhaps Lex was right in his deduction that he couldn’t’ trust anyone.

A gangster was giving her a philosophy lecture, though it had evolved into some algebra as well. Chloe sat in the visitor's chair next to Lionel's bed and blinked as Morgan Edge calmly laid out her odds of living through the night.

“One death is an accident, but more than one becomes an event – something people notice, remark upon, remember. One death is anonymous and commonplace. Everyone knows of a single death. Problems arise when it becomes something conspicuous.”

So he's probably not going to splatter me all over the walls, she thought bleakly. Good to know at least one of my kidnappers has finesse.
    I know that Morgan is speaking in a reasonable, smooth and even amiable tone of voice here… but I know threatening intimidation tactics when I hear them. Morgan is giving the illusion of being ‘a nice intellectually bent gentleman’, while ALSO letting Chloe know about how brutal he can be, when needed. Scary bastard!

Edge nodded, busy watching his guard button his coat over his weapon and hurry out. Chloe didn't care about being ignored. It was the best thing that had happened to her that day. If Edge didn't care, and Lex paid for her freedom, she could go home. Her fears could turn to the raw, damaged feeling in her soul, and hiding it from her poor, innocent father.

She might live. She might live and she had no idea how to feel happy about it.
    Aaaaargh! You leave it off here, Nonky?! Come back and update NOW!
    Heh… actually, I honestly do like getting small chapters, a little piece of the story at a time. It’s actually fun getting little bits of progress that I can analyse thoroughly and completely. BUT… it also leaves you frustrated and wanting for more at the end… every time. … To be fair… I’d probably be equally frustrated, even if it was a longer chapter

Oh well… just please update soon, Nonky!

Poor Chloe! I hope Lex can get her far away from Lionel and Edge!
    Thanks for the update!

An Accused Heretic Senior Member Kit Merlot's Avatar

This was both lovely and heartbreaking--lovely that you updated and heartbreaking watching the hell Chloe is living through.

I can't imagine how absolutely horrible Chloe must feel, and yet despite what she thinks, she is as brave and clever as always. I'm slightly worried at Lex's reaction to finding out about Lionel's raping Chloe--I just want Lex to take Chloe away and back to safety.

Excellent work on this story.
    Last edited by Kit Merlot; 24th September 2011 at 02:30.
    KATHY

"Don't quote me to me!" Detective Danny "Danno" WIlliams, Hawaii Five-0, episode 1.8 Mana'o

"This could barely fill up Thumbelina!" SALIGIA by westwingwolf

My Fanfic Master List

My livejournal: An Accused Heretic

NS Full Member

i can't wait to see what happens when lex gets there.he not going to be happy about lionel raping chloe.interested to see how lex gets chloe way from lionel and morgan.

Members

Wow, this story is amazing. I was a little unsure about reading it, especially after how devastating the first chapter was for Chloe. The desperation in the story makes it so edgy and tragic. I'm fascinated by your depiction of Lex as both the reason for Chloe's trauma and the one trying to heal her. Lex as both a damage character and a healing force is an interesting choice. I can't wait to see how this goes. Thanks for updating this!

Jehye

I always get so excited to see updates of this story! It's been such an intense ride, and I feel it could be an actual storyline had Smallville been on something like F/X- and the writers not been OBSESSED with Lana Lang.

Na-No-Wri-Mo-ing!

Re: The Lesser of Two Evils - NC-17, Chapter 28 (July 15, 2007)

Chapter Thirty-Nine

It had all the coiled civility of a set mousetrap.

Lex couldn't help but feel it was too neat, too perfect for the misery he felt on Chloe's behalf and the guilt that was all his own. He was being given all the privacy and space he could ever ask to step calmly into the open.

The man who'd crossed the lobby was impeccably turned out, with a suit that was easily a match to Lex's own. His shoes, tie and shirt were less exclusive, but of the appropriate materials and audaciously new. His steps echoed crisply with his confident strides, and the jacket slipped back just enough to display the butt of a gun. This neat, stylish man was one of Chloe's captors, and he was momentarily in charge of Lex's future. He could shoot, or he could show the billionaire upstairs to make a deal.

Frankly, he could shoot anyway, take the money, and make his own deal with Morgan Edge's praise as currency. Lex's own employees had demonstrated that 'stab in the back, wag tail at supervisor' behaviour often enough to send tension down to his stance. He braced to run, though running was his absolute final move. Everything he could do for Chloe had to be done.

“Mr. Luthor,” the man greeted. “I'll need to check your case and then we can go join the others.”

His curt gesture was jerky with resentment, but Lex walked to a bench and put the case down. He stood back after the latch was opened, and waited while the other man flicked through the stacks of bills.

“How much?”

“A million and a half in cash, and half a million in bond certificates,” Lex said. “My banker did the best he could, but I had to pull the money without getting noticed. More can be arranged with a longer deadline.”

He nearly cringed at his own wording. This might be a deadline in the literal sense, and he had yet to see proof anyone had survived the invasion to the country house. In a real negotiation he would name a top figure, the highest he would go if the price was more than he'd offered. He couldn't imagine doing that and living with it later, so he waited.

There was no answer, but the case was patted and sussed out to the guard's satisfaction, then closed firmly. Lex picked it up and followed as he was led to the elevators. His shoulder tore with the weight, but he reminded himself of his circumstances. The money was all the control he had, and his composure was vital.

It seemed odd nobody was wondering about Morgan Edge, Lex Luthor and Lionel Luthor in the same building at the same time. It was safest to assume no outside help would notice and care. Edge was never stingy with bribes or threats. It was likely better no one interfered.

“The young lady with Mr. Luthor; did she require a doctor?”

“Just Mr. Luthor,” came the laconic reply. “He has some internal injuries from a fall.”

It brushed his psyche with the smallest flutter of relief. If Chloe wasn't injured, they had a chance of simply walking away. Lex put the case down in the elevator, and flexed his hand. He watched as the other man pressed five, and then flicked his gaze to the numbers above the door.

A lower floor would be easier to escape from, but he was still aiming for a ransom. He and Morgan Edge had never crossed paths before, and there was no reason this had to become a lasting feud. Even if the man had killed his grandparents, Lex couldn't take vengeance for people he'd never known. If they were like his father and destitute as well, maybe it was a mercy his childhood hadn't had several drunk bullies.

He followed silently as they got out in a deserted hallway. A placard on the wall said it was a infection ward, though Lionel Luthor would never be shoved in with contagious patients. More likely it was their only completely empty area, which assured the privacy Morgan Edge would want for this sordid business.

They walked for a full minute, through double doors and half-lit corridors. There were signs of life, but no one around. It was cold, even for a hospital. He didn't want to breathe too deeply, because it made the back of his mouth taste like strong cleaners. Lex tried to count doorways, but nothing made an impression other than the rare signs giving directions to elevators or stairwells. He only needed to know the way out, anyway. He and Chloe would be leaving within minutes, he told himself firmly.

The guard stopped and gestured into a patient room, tipping the door open with his foot. “Go ahead,” he said.

Lex knew better than to argue, though every tendon in his neck balked at turning his back on the man. He walked inside with a smooth, even step, holding the case with barely the smallest swing.

“Ah, there you are. Hello, Lex.”

Morgan Edge rose from a visitor's chair, but Lex was momentarily struck dumb by the sight of his father in a hospital bed. The man who'd raised him was pale and almost slight. He was sitting up, but it was clear he was in pain. An IV was strung from one hand, the tape holding the tube showing a stain of blood underneath.

“Hello son,” Lionel sneered.

The usual judgement was carried by the simple greeting, and the contempt that had begun without any cause when Lex turned ten and failed somehow to be a Luthor. The unspoken jibe was too much, and Lex spun around to find Edge taking his hand to shake. He resisted the urge to pull away. Outrage would set them visibly at odds, and he had to think of this as dispassionately as he could.

“Mr. Edge,” Lex murmured. He ended the handshake as quickly as possible. His eyes went to the other chair, where a blond head of mussed hair was showing above a blanket-swathed form. “Chloe.” His exhale of relief made it a breathless kind of exclamation, and he cleared his throat. “I was told we could discuss terms.”

He tried to look at Edge and make himself unmoved, but he wanted to stare at Chloe as if her existence depended on his gaze.

“And we can, but please, I can see you want to check on Miss Sullivan. Come inside and we'll close the door for privacy,” Edge said pleasantly. He stood back, and Lex brushed past him to the chair next to Chloe. The guard who had met him in the lobby came in and shut the door with a pronounced clatter of the latch.

She didn't look up, but the set of her shoulders was too high and awkward for her to be asleep. He shoved the case under his seat and touched her gently. Chloe shivered, and her chin lifted just enough to convince Lex she wasn't drugged.

“Lex-” she whispered. Her eyes were damp and glittery with panic. The claustrophobic room was pouring heat, and she seemed to need the blanket just to keep from shaking.

“I know,” he said, even as the dread set in his gut that no one could know the malevolence she'd faced. He could save her life, but he was the last person to claim any ability to heal her trust. “We're leaving soon, okay? I promise, I'm not leaving here until you're free.”

She nodded, and a tiny spark of a smile tried to form on her mouth. It fell off immediately, but the trace of gratitude made it necessary to Lex that he do this right. Her dulled, tangled hair was still the colour of midday sun, framing a fresh bruise blooming crimson and purple on her chin. She sat up taller, shifting her legs with the suggestion of pain on her face. He felt his teeth grit on rage, and repulsed it from his mind. Anger had no focus, and he'd always cultivated his obsessive side to be focused on his goals. His goal today was to free Chloe, if it cost his life, his father's life, his fortune and his reputation.

“What are your terms,” Lex asked tersely, standing up and putting himself in front of Chloe pointedly.

The gesture wasn't unnoticed, but Edge simply nodded with a satisfied grin. From the corner of his eye, Lex had seen the crime boss get a whispered bit of information from his guard; probably a confirmation that Lex had brought money.

“Of course. I was – concerned a few weeks ago when a gentleman took a tour of my neighbourhood, asking about my feckless youth. The man was hired by you, Mr. Luthor, and he wanted to know how to put your father in prison. He found out a few unfortunate events I consider deeply mortifying, but was unable to bring that information back to you as he met with an accident,” Edge said.

His implication was murder, but no court would ever accept such a glancing reference as a confession. Lex would have to wrangle his investigators and find out who was missing. He filed that away and inclined his chin a single time. It was not agreement.

“I fail to see what Miss Sullivan has to do with all this,” he bluffed. He could feel her tension double behind his back, and sensed he'd misstepped.

“Miss Sullivan was working with you, and she found a record of my association with Lionel. I don't know exactly what her grudge is, but I can guess a few possibilities. At any rate, I have no personal issue with the young lady. I happened to surprise her in my urgency to meet with your father, and she was naturally invited along to sort this out. I don't really mind if Lionel should go to prison, but I would mind if I were to be locked away. I like my life now, and see no reason to revisit the mistakes of the past.”

Lex got the message; they could lay this to rest with Lionel's sacrifice. If his father took the blame for his grandparents' deaths without implicating Edge, Lex and Chloe were beside the point. He wanted to look over his shoulder at her, and quashed the impulse.

“I wanted him in prison. I won't apologize for that, though my investigation veered unintentionally in your direction, Mr. Edge,” he said plainly. “Miss Sullivan has her own reasons, but no problem with you. He kidnapped her. I can call my FBI contact and have my father serving a life term one way or the other. There would be no need to dig into a decades old incident that might have been an accident when there is an open-and-closed felony charge waiting to be filed.”

The bargain was a fair one. Lionel would be locked up and away from all of them, Morgan Edge would continue his business, Lex would be out of his father's long shadow, and Chloe could recover. He was willing to ransom her regardless, but this way it benefited Edge to have all of them leave that hospital room alive. He was a businessman, and had to weigh murder carefully against his larger interests. It couldn't be for mere convenience or anger.

The two guards had positioned next to the door, and were standing with arms folded behind their backs. Lex didn't fool himself about getting past them. He wasn't sure Chloe was able to run, and he couldn't go without her.

“You're not incorrect,” Edge drawled. “A jury would fall over itself to defend poor Miss Sullivan from a brute like Lionel. But I don't like that idea. A good lawyer works wonders, and doubt is powerful. I think if Lionel were dead, no one would have any profit in sniffing out his crimes. It would make me feel better to have this finished. I am willing to do you the favour of getting rid of your father for you.”

The death creeping up on his father would fall on him today, and Lex couldn't celebrate. He wanted the bastard dead, wanted freedom from Lionel's will and manipulations, but he couldn't take it on himself. His head must have shaken back and forth in an unconscious negation, to echo Chloe's shocked gasp.

“You said-” she mumbled, then her voice came clearer. “You said death was messy and suspicious.”

Inside the cold of his chest, Lex felt a burst of warm solidarity. Chloe hated his father, but she recognized the impairment he would suffer putting his own father to death. She was defending Lionel's life because Lex knew it was what he should do. He just couldn't get the words out.

“The unexpected death of a young, healthy person is complicated, but Lionel is essentially an old, sick man. He had a nasty fall just today, and sometimes it's the littlest things that break down a strong man.” Edge smiled his empty, implacable baring of teeth. “Between the money you brought and the assurance my old friend Lionel won't be able to whisper any secrets about me, I would be glad for you and the young lady to walk away free and clear. ”

Lex croaked, “What if I can't . . .”

“Then I'm afraid I would have a personal issue with you and Miss Sullivan. The solution would be unpleasant for all of us, but more for you and she, Mr. Luthor. No compromise is perfect, but let's all agree this is the least innocent blood we're likely to shed,” Edge said frankly. He stood back to let Lex see his father in the hospital bed, staring back with utter calm.

“I always knew you didn't have what it takes to make the hard cuts,” Lionel said, his voice sounding dry. “Come here, son.”

Tenderness lived in Lex for the barest hint of acceptance from his father. It starved and starved over the years, but didn't die. He felt the tug as he turned around and helped Chloe to her feet. She staggered a bit, but was able to walk normally after a moment. Lex kept her hand and pulled her behind as he walked over to the bed. Her fingers were icy in his, but she held on as strongly as his fierce grip.

“Dad,” he began. His chest hurt, his head hurt, and he knew all of this was the illusion of a choice. Either Lionel died or they all did. It didn't make giving in any lighter.

“I'm not interested in a disgraceful display, Lex,” Lionel said sternly. “I'm ready for my end, but you have to run the company. I won't have LuthorCorp crumbling as my legacy. You keep the company strong for my heir.”

The deep hazel gaze went beyond Lex to Chloe's belly, and she moved with a jerky start. Lex realized it had all happened according to Lionel's plan, and even now she might be pregnant. He stared down at his father and all the rage came back amplified with that curious admiration Chloe inspired. Lex hadn't known positive feelings could feed negative ones, but the more he saw of her goodness threw his own family's evil into knife-edged shadows. He leaned in and his hand curled over his father's shoulder with hard pressure.

“I used to think there was something that had made you hard and despicable, but I know now it was just your own choices. I'm sorry to have wasted my pity. You deserved everything that's happened to you, including what's going to happen once I get Chloe out of here,” Lex whispered. “Most of my life I wanted to be like you in some ways; I'm ashamed now to think I might have done it.”

Lionel didn't even blink, simply craned his neck to better see Chloe at the end of Lex's other arm.

“My dear, take care of my boy,” he said, smiling as if he wasn't about to die. He made it clear he wasn't referring to Lex or Lucas. She shuddered, and looked away. “I'd get a move on, Lex. Morgan is not known for his patience.”

There were thousands of things left to be said, and no goodbye would ever encapsulate the regrets and anger Lex was feeling. He backed away from the bed and nudged Chloe in front of his body. A glance at Morgan Edge showed the man casually buttoning his suit jacket, and smoothing it with long motions down his chest. At the mobster's nod, one of his guards pulled the door and held it open. Lex stared as Edge walked toward the bed.

Lex had the irrational urge to scream for help and fight all three of them. He felt Chloe shiver and knew he had to put her safety first. He tried not to push her, but they needed to go fast. Once they were at a safe distance, they could process the last day. He had the feeling it would take years to really understand all that had happened, and why.

Lex was almost certain he'd never really understand.
    Her soul is senstive like a finely made tuning fork. It vibrates and resonates with every little hint of trauma, evil and monstrosity that might be humming in the air, and channels it into expressions of fiction... or recomended websites - somethingeasy

Thanks for the update.

So glad that Lex was able to get Chloe out of there, even if it means he had to willingly allow the murder of his bastard of a father. Lionel finally gets what is coming to him, and even though he knows he is about to die he still has to be an ass towards Lex.

I hope Lex can come to terms with Lionel's end b/c there is really not much he could have done to save Chloe and himself. I'm really interested to see what happens B/T Chloe and Lex now. Can't wait to read more!

NS Full Member

glad lionel is gone.and yes lionel was a jerk to lex.can't wait to see what happens between chloe and lex.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information