+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: NS Advent Calendar 2010 - Married for Christmas

looking for updates Senior Member somethingeasy's Avatar

Re: NS Advent Calendar 2010 - Married for Christmas

heee! This was a excellent chapter. First of all, I was so pleased that Lex was finally getting out of his villa to enjoy the sights. It might be a beautiful, luxurious villa that breathtaking to behold… but it’s not much fun if you’re treating it like a prison.

And it was really fun and funny to imagine that one of the main reasons why Lex decided to come along was because he was paranoid about the too handsome ranger putting the moves on Chloe, LOL! I’m sure Lex was ‘slightly’ embarrassed about the display he put on last night, but that doesn’t stop him from feeling mighty suspicious of the ranger’s intentions towards Chloe. I was pleased to see that he apologised to Chloe for implying that she would be unfaithful. He even made a point of mentioning that it was the ranger he didn’t trust, and not her.

“Oh.” She stared at him silently for a moment, trying to figure it out. She was ridiculously pleased with the decision, but she was afraid she knew the reason. “I’m not going to sneak off in the bush and screw the game ranger, you know.”

“I know you aren’t. I’m sorry I implied otherwise last night.” The words were mild but sounded genuine.

“Oh. Thank you. I guess.” Then she added, “So why are you going? I thought you were trying to keep a low profile.”
    I mentioned earlier that Chloe needed to scold Lex about his behaviour… so I was delighted to see that she did. However, I also remember mentioning that the scolding shouldn’t be [I]too[I] severe, considering how lovely and self-sacrificing he had been throughout the morning… so I was glad to see that she forgave him relatively quickly. It probably helped that Lex looked truly sorry and chagrined about his behaviour last night.

Now they’ve cleared the air, and can enjoy a lovely day out together Excellent!

“Our goal this morning is to spot a leopard,” Michael said.

“Those are my favorite,” Chloe explained, looking up at Lex, who was riding in the seat beside her.

“I know that. You told me, remember?”

She had told him—when they were watching the documentary. For no good reason, she flushed a little. “Oh. Right.”
    heh.. I’m sure Chloe probably told herself that it doesn’t mean anything. Lex has an extraordinary mind with an incredible memory (possible photographic memory no less). So it’s no big deal that he remembered a comment he heard her making several days ago.

Except that Chloe doesn’t appreciate how Lex hoards and cherishes everything she’s ever said, either to him, or in general. I’m absolutely certain that there’s a special category in Lex’s mind labelled ‘Chloe’, and every minute detail about her goes right into the mind-vault there.

Lex watched with interest as well, but his absolute composure made her a little self-conscious about her own enthusiasm. She didn’t want him to think she was silly for getting so excited about baby elephants.
    This was a bit of a shame. I’m sure Lex would have LOVED to have seen the full extent of Chloe’s exuberance and excitement for the African outdoors. It’s one of the main reason he came on this tour after all. Not to look so much at the animals, but to see Chloe’s reaction to the animals. Well, that and be the hero and find Chloe’s leopard for her, lol!

She moved next to him and looked through his binoculars. He helped direct them for her and then casually kept a hand on her shoulder.

She was delighted by the sight of the odd-looking, spotted cat and after a few minutes, she said, “Lex, come see!”

While Lex obviously could see without the binoculars, he would see much better with them. So she handed them to him, and he took a look—edging Michael away from Chloe as he did.
    LOL! When Michael put his arm around Chloe’s shoulders (in a move that might or might not have been completely innocent), I KNEW that Lex was silently snarling behind them, just barely restraining himself from knocking Michael’s arm off from HIS wife’s shoulder. LOL! Lex could not resist, however, marking his territory when given the opportunity; nudging Chloe away from Michael when he had the chance. LOL! Nicely done Lex. Smooth move… although not smooth enough since I’m sure that Chloe noticed, lol!

By the way, I looked up pictures for a serval. It’s such a delightful looking cat! Very similar to a cheetah (which is MY favourite big cat) but with the most adorable huge pointy ears anyone can imagine!! Squeee! So cute!!

After a while, she felt Lex shift against her. Then felt his breath against her head. He was really close and seemed to have been nuzzling her hair.
    omigosh! WOW! I wanted to leap with joy and swoon at this image of Lex indulging in some PDA with Chloe. He’s usually so guarded about showing affection in public, even when in fics where he’s actually openly in love with Chloe.

She arched her neck and whispered in his ear, “He’s not coming on to me.”

“He wants to,” Lex whispered back.

“He does not. He’s just friendly.”

“Not to me, he isn’t. Besides, we’re supposed to be newlyweds. If we act too unusual, he’ll start to wonder and maybe raise questions about us.”

That actually made a little sense. And it disappointed Chloe a little. If this was just for an act, then Lex’s warm, strong body and familiar scent didn’t feel quite as good.
    Dammit! It made me grit my teeth and nearly curse in frustration that Chloe wans’t able to appreciate Lex’s demonstrations of affection as [I]genuine[I] like I was. She thought it was all a big show he was putting on… and it only made her a feel sick rather than happy and warmed. That’s so very, VERY wrong *cries a little*

heh… but, at the very least, I was glad to see Lex realized that he can actually use his ‘fake’ marriage to start initiating some intimate touches with Chloe, at least when they’re out in public and he can claim that they’re putting on a show for others. Perhaps he’ll be able to up the ante on his demonstrations and start openly and brazenly groping Chloe while kissing and dancing with her… all the while claiming that it’s for ‘verisimilitude’, LOL!

She glanced down at her rings—the too-big Renaissance merchant ring and the antique wedding band. And she felt a sharp pang in her chest.

But she remembered all too well what had happened the last time she had let herself believe that Lex’s fond eyes and warm touch were real and lasting.

She wasn’t going to be a fool again.
    ouch! At least now I have an idea on what went wrong and broke up the Chlex relationship when Chloe was seventeen. Lex was an idiot, and probably dumped her in some abrupt, callous manner… leading her to believe that he was only enjoying a bit of physical fun and pleasure between the two of them.

This revelation that Lex broke Chloe’s heart once made me realize that he’s going to have to put some serious work into winning her trust and love again. He really has his work cut out for him. And, quite honestly, I don’t know whether he’s doing a good job wooing Chloe right now. He’s set an amazing stage to woo her, marrying her and taking her on whirlwind, breathtaking trips… but he’s NOT being honest with her at all… and actually spending as much time neglecting and ignoring her as seeing to her needs.

heh… Like I said, the stage is set. But perhaps Lex just needs to change his tactics a bit. This is assuming that Lex’s main plan all along was to woo Chloe into a permanent marriage and not just [I]protect her[I] from Lionel with a fake, temporary marriage…?

Great chapter, Zannie. Thanks for the update. I look forward to tomorrow!

walking with cavemen Senior Member Zannie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by somethingeasy View Post
    By the way, I looked up pictures for a serval. It’s such a delightful looking cat! Very similar to a cheetah (which is MY favourite big cat) but with the most adorable huge pointy ears anyone can imagine!! Squeee! So cute!!
    Yes, the servals make me laugh! Those ears are hilarious! I just had to work them into one of Chloe and Lex's game rides.

ouch! At least now I have an idea on what went wrong and broke up the Chlex relationship when Chloe was seventeen. Lex was an idiot, and probably dumped her in some abrupt, callous manner… leading her to believe that he was only enjoying a bit of physical fun and pleasure between the two of them.
    Very good guess as to what happened in their previous relationship! We'll get a flashback of the dumping scene coming up in one of the next chapters - either tomorrow's or the next day's (can't remember off the top of my head).

This revelation that Lex broke Chloe’s heart once made me realize that he’s going to have to put some serious work into winning her trust and love again. He really has his work cut out for him. And, quite honestly, I don’t know whether he’s doing a good job wooing Chloe right now. He’s set an amazing stage to woo her, marrying her and taking her on whirlwind, breathtaking trips… but he’s NOT being honest with her at all… and actually spending as much time neglecting and ignoring her as seeing to her needs.
    Yes, I don't think he's doing a great job wooing her either. He might want to (maybe!) but he's not equipped in the basics of relationship building and there's a lot still holding him back at this point. But he has a whole month to get it together!

Thanks for the great reviews, Sabrina!

NS Senior Member Senior Member lj715's Avatar

I love this fic, another great chapter!

looking for updates Senior Member somethingeasy's Avatar

This was an excellent chapter which answered a LOT of questions I had about the Chlex relationship in the past, specifically, how that relationship ended. Actually, it wasn’t nearly as traumatic as I feared it would be. The break-up can be considered as much a simple, silly misunderstanding between the couple as much as a tragic, heartbreaking divide between the two.

But more on that in a but, onto the review first…

I was really pleased to see that Chloe was relaxing a little bit about her hang-up over spending Lex’s money on new clothes for herself. I can understand her reasoning, since it obviously wouldn’t make Chloe comfortable to be taking advantage of Lex’s amazing resources to protect her; receiving luxury vacation trips from him, AND start spending his money too. It would make her feel like she was getting more than she was giving in this ‘alliance’ between the two of them. She’d end up feeling like a leech or something.

But, Lex is right that he really wouldn’t miss or even notice the money that Chloe spent on herself in order to clothe and feed herself. That’s only a drop in the ocean compared to the millions he’s probably spending on keeping them both hidden from Lionel’s gaze.

“Whatever you would spend would barely register on my accounts.”

“I know that. But still. It’s the principle of the thing. If we were married for real, it would be different.”

Something odd reflected in Lex’s eyes, but she couldn’t quite understand it. “We are married for real. We have the certificate and the rings to prove it.”
    I really liked how Chloe made a point of telling Lex how it ‘would have been different’ if they had been ‘married for real’, and then Chloe would have felt a lot more comfortable using her husband’s money for shopping and such. Because he’s her husband, therefore, as his life partner, she would feel a lot more comfortably entitled to a share of his resources and possessions.

But Chloe doesn’t really feel married to Lex, and therefore feels like she owes him more than she’s giving whenever she takes money from him. I really appreciated this explanation into her mind-set, Zannie.

But, more than that, I LOVED the ‘odd look’ that Lex gave to her when she told him that she’s not ‘really married’ to him. I imagine that Lex was hiding away a slight ache in himself at the thought that Chloe didn’t consider their marriage even the tiniest bit real or genuine. I imagine that Lex has been losing himself into the fantasy of their ‘marriage’, just a little bit… and he was probably rather devastated to realize how Chloe has not been thinking of this marriage as even the slightest bit genuine.

Since he was still rubbing his head, despite his dry words, Chloe leaned over to peer at his forehead. There was a red spot where their skulls had impacted. “Oh,” she murmured, reaching over to brush her fingers over the spot. “I hope it doesn’t bruise.”

“It’s fine. What about yours?” Lex gently removed her hand from his head and then reached over to stroke her hair away from her forehead.

Their eyes met and Chloe was overwhelmed by attraction, by emotion, by need. It suddenly felt like she was seventeen-years-old again and Lex was visiting her in the safe house.

She wanted to embrace him. She wanted to kiss him. She wanted to give herself to him completely.
    squeee! That was amazing writing, Zannie. I loved how an innocuous, cute, silly and random action between Chloe and Lex led to such an intense, hot and overwhelming moment… for both of them! I love the idea that it truly doesn’t take much to trigger off their memories and intense emotional connection for each other. They’re honestly on a hair-trigger when it comes to their feelings for one another… and now it’s only a matter of time before some kind of hot and heavy smut action ensues

She pulled back just enough to look up into his face. His features were tense, and his eyes were deep and conflicted. She stretched up to kiss him, her lips brushing against his gently at first, then clinging to them more hungrily.

He returned the kiss with a low groan in his throat, and his fingers tangled in her hair to curl around the back of her skull. But he pulled away, much sooner than normal.
    I think I’m getting quite a clear picture of what’s going on over here. Lex obviously cares for Chloe deeply. In fact, he might even be consciously aware of being madly in love with her. Chloe returns at least some of that love. BUT, the two of them are in the dark as to the depth of each other’s feelings.

And now we have Lex, obviously demonstrating intense attraction and desire for Chloe… but also confusing Chloe because he’s acting cool, aloof and distanced from her. I can see why the emotionally insecure teenager that Chloe is right now would ignore the emotional conflict and intensity of desire and Lex is exhibiting, and only focus on the fact that he’s pulling away from her… and assume that Lex has has his fill of her. It’s painfully obvious to anyone and everyone that Lex is crazy about her… but Chloe doesn’t see that.

“I’ve had a good time this summer. You’ve been . . . great.” His voice wasn’t exactly cold, but there was no trace of real feeling in it—at least, no feeling except vague reluctance.

As if he was taking care of an unpleasant duty.

“Thanks,” she managed to say. “I’ve had a good time.” She had to look away from him, since it was starting to hurt so bad.
    ouch! This was a awful, hurtful, heartbreaking and devastating moment for both Chloe and Lex. It’s so obvious! Chloe’s heartbreak is very overt and obvious to the reader, who is getting her POV. But I’d say that even Lex’s heartbreak is apparent to the reader.

Yes, Chloe is devastated because Lex is acting as if this break-up is some kind of ‘unpleasant duty’ that he needs to get out of the way before going onto focusing on more important things in his life. I can see why she would feel disposable and dismissed.

BUT, Chloe is also maintaining a pretence that she doesn’t care either about this relationship. She’s calling it a good time and thanking Lex… as if he gave her a scenic route ride in his flashy car or something. I have no doubt that Lex ALSO feel hurt about being dismissed and disregarded as something ‘fun’ that Chloe did to pass the time. He probably feels just like Chloe does… forgettable and superfluous! Something [I]unnecessary[I] to the other’s life.

I’ll call it a misunderstanding between the two… although I will say it’s a bit more Lex’s fault than Chloe’s fault. After all, Lex was the one who initiated the distancing and the break-up… all for stupid pseudo-noble reasons no doubt. The idiot! He deserves to be yelled at for being a stupid, foolish MORON later when Chleo discovers the truth… that he was madly in love with her all along, but that he dumped her to ‘protect her’. *snort* moron!

It would be so easy to let things happen as they had before. They’d sort of melt together—enjoying the closeness and the humor and the mutual support. It wasn’t like he was setting out to use her or take advantage of her – but she didn’t mean as much to him as he would mean to her. He liked her. And he was a man—he wouldn’t turn down a willing woman he generally liked.

And, when it was over, she’d be wrenched apart from him again.

Her heart would be broken again.
    I discovered that the break-up wasn’t as harsh and cruel as it might have been. For example, the break-up between Lex and Chloe in Irrevocable as pretty cruel from Lex’s end. Chloe was nearly broken by that! But, in this case, the break-up was a lot easier and less traumatic.

I’m not trivializing Chloe’s pain here, but I am saying that she wasn’t as hurt or damaged as Irrevocable-Chloe was. She should be able to recover a little quicker… provided that Lex truly exerts himself in winning over her trust… and apologising most profusely for being a short-sighted idiot!

Fantastic chapter, Zannie. Thanks for the excellent update. heee! New chapter tomorrow. I can’t wait!

walking with cavemen Senior Member Zannie's Avatar

I’ll call it a misunderstanding between the two… although I will say it’s a bit more Lex’s fault than Chloe’s fault. After all, Lex was the one who initiated the distancing and the break-up… all for stupid pseudo-noble reasons no doubt. The idiot! He deserves to be yelled at for being a stupid, foolish MORON later when Chleo discovers the truth… that he was madly in love with her all along, but that he dumped her to ‘protect her’. *snort* moron!
    I don't know if I'd call it just a misunderstanding - because Lex weighed options and came to an intentional decision to break up with Chloe (regardless of how she might have felt for him). I think more of this will become clear as the story progresses. But I think you're exactly right about how neither necessarily realizes the depth of the other's feelings. This will definitely be explored more later in the story.

I’m not trivializing Chloe’s pain here, but I am saying that she wasn’t as hurt or damaged as Irrevocable-Chloe was. She should be able to recover a little quicker… provided that Lex truly exerts himself in winning over her trust… and apologising most profusely for being a short-sighted idiot!
    Yes! This is a really good insight. Irrevocable-Chlex was damaged well before the "break-up," so the actually dumping was far more painful and difficult to overcome for Chloe. And, of course, both had to heal in other ways as they were coming together again. Fortunately for those wary of angst, Married-Chlex don't have the psychological damage to overcome as they get back together. It's mostly realization and understanding of the other's feelings, ability to express those feelings, and rebuilding of trust that those feelings are real. It will be much easier for that to happen with this version of Chlex, so this story won't have nearly as much angst.

There will be some angst - and one major angsty blow-up. But the angst will be overcome relatively quickly because the foundation isn't so cracked to begin with.

The emotions in chapter nine really got to me Zannie. If I had to use one word to describe your writing it would be moving, this chapter just proves why. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Zannie View Post
    I don't know if I'd call it just a misunderstanding - because Lex weighed options and came to an intentional decision to break up with Chloe (regardless of how she might have felt for him). I think more of this will become clear as the story progresses. But I think you're exactly right about how neither necessarily realizes the depth of the other's feelings. This will definitely be explored more later in the story.
    Hm. I'm glad you mentioned it will be clearer -- I've been killing myself all day wondering what was going through Lex's head both before and now. I can think of several good reasons why Lex might break up with her before: 17 is awfully young, he has a complicated life, etc., What I'm struggling with is if he broke up with her for some "for the greater good" reason like that, what is he doing now? It seems to me that he is making some sort of attempt to re-create the circumstances of that summer without realizing how emotionally wrenching that might be for her.

Of course, it might be emotionally wrenching for him, too, but because we're not getting his pov we don't know that.

NS Senior Member Senior Member lj715's Avatar

This chapter was so sad. I hope they can overcome past heartaches & start a better relationship.

Hi! Loving your story, as always

The last chapter was so sad, but it went a long way in letting us know why things are the way are with Chloe and Lex. I thought that both of them are a bit 'broken'? Chloe is insecure and Lex is so darned 'cerebral' about things - it's no wonder they get their lines crossed.

Can't wait for the next installment!

I was on the verge of screaming "where's the proactive Chloe I know, and who's this mopey woman," but then the pool scene...

Forgive me for doubting you. This is fantastic.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information