+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Scofield Standard Time (R) COMPLETED

An Accused Heretic Senior Member Kit Merlot's Avatar

Re: Scofield Standard Time (R) Ch 6 3/13

A/N: This chapter is all about Chloe's mom, and what made her leave her family, and please be warned: this chapter includes a mention of violence against a child.

Chapter 6

Sarah Donovan sat inside the office of Dr. Bellick at the Fox River Sanitarium, and waited for her daughter to show up.

At first, she had been overjoyed when she recognized the beautiful young woman standing in the prison yard, as her now very grown up daughter, but that quickly turned to nausea when she realized that Chloe's presence in the asylum meant that she hadn't escaped the curse of mental illness that ran rampant through her family.

Dr. Bellick had been thrilled to discover who Chloe was, and she decided to stage an impromptu family reunion in the disguise of a therapy session.

So Sarah was forced to relive the last time she had seen her daughter's face.

Chloe had been five years old, and she was fast asleep. Sarah had stared down at Chloe's little face, and she could feel her own heart-breaking at the knowledge of what she had to do
    Sarah was going to have to leave her family.

She was going to have to walk away from the two people she loved the most in world, because Chloe was no longer safe in her care.

Sarah stood in Chloe's bedroom, and looked at her daughter, and knew, deep in her heart of hearts, that she was doing the right thing for her family. She was having the dreams again, and she would be damned if she let anyone, including herself, hurt a hair on that little girl's head.

From the minute that Sarah had first told Gabe that she was pregnant, strange things had begun to occur. She had the early pregnancy symptoms that most women had: morning sickness, excessive tiredness, moodiness.

Sarah's mood swings veered from her screaming at the top of her lungs, to her just as quickly dissolving into tears. Her doctor assured her that this was all perfectly normal.

But then she started seeing and hearing things, and her dreams became plagued by nightmares.

The majority of people who are mentally ill don't actually know that they are sick. But there is a small percentage who are fully aware that they are going insane, and Sarah Donovan Sullivan was one of those people.

There was a part of her that knew that what was happening to her was not normal, and that she was powerless to stop it.

People from her past that she knew full well were dead, would appear out of nowhere, and she could hear them talking. In fact, they were usually talking to her, offering her advice.

Sarah convinced herself that this was God's way of looking out for her--that they weren't ghosts or figments of her imagination, but that they were angels, sent by God, to watch over her family.

But at night, her dreams were full of shadows that always seemed vaguely threatening. She would wake up, her heart pounding in fear, but she was never exactly sure why she had been afraid.

This went on throughout her pregnancy, and the shadows became more and more sinister until Sarah became convinced that there was a black cloud of doom hanging over her baby's life.

And adding to that, Sarah continued to have her spectral visitors, but they had become a source of comfort for her. Perhaps the good spirits would be able to counteract the demonic ones, and she had her baby would both be safe from the darkness that was threatening them.

The part of Sarah's mind that was still sane knew that she should mention what was happening to her doctor, or her family. But she never told a soul about her fears for her baby, or herself,

It took a long time for Sarah to admit this to herself, but she realized that she was afraid that she really was crazy and she knew, beyond a doubt, that she would get locked up, and she would be separated from her child for the rest of her life.

The days leading up to Sarah's giving birth had been so hectic that she hadn't even realized that not a single dead relative had made an appearance. And she was finally getting a goodnight's sleep.

She closed her eyes, and breathed a silent prayer, and hoped that maybe the visitations and nightmares had stopped.

Sarah went into the hospital and, after ten hours of excruciating labor, gave birth to a six pound, seven once baby girl. The little girl was promptly named Chloe, and both mother and father burst into tears at the sight of their squealing infant.

Sarah had tried to get her emotions under control, but she couldn't seem to stop crying. Until that very moment, she hadn't realized how scared she had been that something was going to go wrong.

There could have been a problem while she was giving birth, or the even more terrifying thought, that the baby itself would come out with a horrible deformity.

Either way, Chloe Elizabeth Sullivan was now alive and well, with all her finger and toes accounted for, and all of her limbs attached, and Sarah knew that it was up to her and Gabe to keep her that way.

Sarah was able to keep her optimism until about the third week of Chloe's being born.

It was 2:36am, and Sarah was giving Chloe her fifth bath of the day. Gabe had come home early from work with a touch of the flu, and a couple hours later, Chloe had started throwing up.

So, Sarah was changing Chloe's sleeper and bedding yet again, and she felt like bursting into tears herself.

Either that, or screaming at the top of her lungs.

Instead, she looked at her daughter's little face, and noticed how pale she looked, and how her eyes looked glassy. She was about to reach for the thermometer to check to see if Chloe had a temperature when her grandmother appeared next to her at the tub.

Sarah didn't jump or even gasp in fear. Instead, she closed her eyes, and hugged her daughter to her chest, not even realizing that the baby was still soaked from her bath.

She didn't open her eyes again until her grandmother spoke, and when she heard what the old lady said, Sarah did gasp, and she clutched Chloe even tighter to her while she asked her grandmother to repeat herself.

The older lady looked at her granddaughter, and smiled. "I said you should drown her, and put that poor baby out of its misery. My God, what kind of life will she have with you as her mother?"

Sarah was broken out of her reverie by a knock at the door of Dr. Bellick's office. Miss Tancredi came in, and Sarah noticed that her face was set and she looked stern.

When Dr. Bellick heard what the nurse had to say, her face noticeably paled. She looked at Sarah, and said, "I'm sorry, but the reunion is going to have to wait. There's been another death in Ward B."
    Last edited by Kit Merlot; 7th June 2009 at 03:54.
    KATHY

"Don't quote me to me!" Detective Danny "Danno" WIlliams, Hawaii Five-0, episode 1.8 Mana'o

"This could barely fill up Thumbelina!" SALIGIA by westwingwolf

My Fanfic Master List

My livejournal: An Accused Heretic

NS Full Member

Let me just start off with...Whoot!!! An update, yay!!!

"I said you should drown her, and put that poor baby out of its misery. My God, what kind of life will she have with you as her mother?"
    Shocking, to say the least. An intense line...made me pause for a moment.

Wonderful insight into Chloe's mother, and I'm looking forward to their reunion and how they'll interact with one another. But alas...

"I'm sorry, but the reunion is going to have to wait. There's been another death in Ward B."
    ...you are cruel.

Yay! You updated. I liked the insight into what is going on in Sarah's head and why she left Chloe and Gabe. I think that Sarah may not be as crazy as everyone thinks...obviously she is a little, seeing dead people isn't exactly normal but she's more with it than I would have thought. Very interesting, I can't wait to read more!

Steph*

Spunky Chick Senior Member hfce's Avatar

That was interesting I can't wait to see what happens in the next update.

Hope
    "Everyone seems normal until you get to know them. "

walking with cavemen Senior Member Zannie's Avatar

Quite intriguing background, and excellent insights into Sarah's character. I'm really interested in the situation you've set up here, and I can't wait to see where you plan to take it. I like how it revolves around multiple relationships, not just Chloe and Lex.

Thanks for the update.

An Accused Heretic Senior Member Kit Merlot's Avatar

A/N: Inside the walls, more of Chloe and her mom in Fox River, and on the outside, a little bit of Clark helping Lex uncover more of Chloe's plan. Enjoy!

Chapter 7

There were only a few things in this world that Clark Kent was sure of, and Chloe's sanity was one of them.

When she had first approached him with her plan, he couldn't comprehend why she would want to fake being insane, and Chloe offered no explanation.

He tried to question her, but Chloe had told him not to worry about it, and that all she wanted him to do was make sure Lex knew about the cell phone.

At the time, Clark had agreed, but it was only after talking to Lois that he decided that Chloe needed him to intervene on her behalf.

So, when he and Lois went to talk to Lex, at Chloe's request, he decided to change the plan. Instead of delivering the message Chloe wanted him to, Clark decided to convince Lex to get Chloe out of the asylum.

But, inexplicably, the man had refused, and Clark and Lois had been thrown out of his mansion.

It wasn't until days later that Clark realized that Chloe was counting on him to help her, and that for some reason, she wanted Lex to be involved.

He realized that he was going to have to bite the bullet, and face the man who was once his friend, and who was Chloe's lifeline.

And that was the reason why Clark was standing outside of Lex's Luthorcorp office, with one of Chloe's shirts folded up in his hands.

For some reason, Chloe wanted Lex to come to Fox River, and bring her one of her shirts. And it just so happened that her cell phone was sewn into the inside lining.

~~~

Chloe had been around enough crime scenes to know that what was happening in Fox River was not normal.

It was certainly not police procedure for only two uniformed police officers from the Metropolis Police Department to show up to a crime scene, and the officers would not just take the statements of the nurse who reported the death and the orderly who found the prisoner's body.

Police procedure mandated that a crime scene unit be called in to gather evidence, take pictures and dust for fingerprints, especially when a fatality was involved. Not to mention that the prison staff themselves would be conducting their own investigation, and sharing that information with the police.

Instead, the cops just walked into the prison, talked to the staff, and then left.

And the prison officials weren't any better. Br. Bellick had rushed into the room right after Miss Tancredi reported the death, and she only talked to the nurse and the orderly.

She didn't pull any of the patients aside to ask what they saw, but then again, most of the women in Ward B were delusional so who knew what answers she might have gotten.

But on the other hand, Dr. Bellick didn't talk to any of the other staff. She just took Miss Tancredi's and the orderly's words for what happened to the poor unfortunate soul who died that night.

Chloe knew that she shouldn't be surprised by what she happening in the prison, but she was stunned by how quickly the patient's death was covered up.

Dr. Bellick examined the dead woman, pronounced that it was an accidental overdose, and went back to her office. In short order, the prisoner's room was quickly cleaned, and all of their personal effects were either pitched into the trash or given to other inmates.

No one waited for the Metropolis Medical Examiner to make the death official or for an autopsy to be done to find out the actual cause of death.

The prison was just planning on sweeping the death under the rug, and they seemed to have the city of Metropolis' full cooperation.

But the investigator in Chloe couldn't be silent, because through it all, she wanted to yell out that they should be preserving evidence, and waiting for the crime scene unit to arrive, but from the looks of how quickly the orderlies were moving, this must have been standard practice.

She knew from all of her research that Dr. Bellick was a kind and compassionate person, but her covering up the mysterious deaths just didn't track.

There was obviously more going on at the prison then even Chloe could have guessed at.

She took a deep breath, and tried to swallow down the hysteria that was threatening to overwhelm her. She knew that all was not well at Fox River, but she never could have predicted the blatant lawlessness that was actually happening.

After about a full minute of deep breathing, Chloe could tell that her panic attack was subsiding, and her old reporter's instinct were kicking back in.

She glanced around and quickly assessed the situation.

Ordinarily, she wouldn't have been able to get as close to Ward B as she was now, but the chaos of the "accidental" death made the staff lax, and Chloe was able to stand in the hallway that separated Ward B.

In fact, she was able to see right into their common room.

Chloe had expected that the prison would have gone into a lockdown, but the day was proceeding like any other.

She needed to get a better look at the crime scene, so she made her way to where the body was being loaded onto a gurney. There were still quite a few prisoners from both Wards standing together in the hall, so Chloe tried to blend with them so she didn't look too suspicious.

She heard one of the nurses say that the dead woman's name was Ann Scott. Chloe didn't know who the person was, but she was hoping to figure out why the prisoners in Ward B were the ones being targeted.

She was so intent on craning her neck to try to get a better look that she barely had time to react when she felt a hand grab her arm and yank her into an empty room.

Chloe opened up her mouth to scream when she recognized the person who had grabbed her. She quickly shut her mouth, but then opened it again to choke out one word.

"Mom?"

~~~

Sarah knew that she was taking a risk but she had to talk to Chloe while she had the chance.

When she saw her daughter standing outside of her ward, she knew that she wouldn't have an opportunity like this again.

She grabbed Chloe and hustled her into the first empty room that she could find, which just happened to be the supply room.

Sarah quickly locked the door, and then she turned to face her little girl.

She tried to speak, but she couldn't seem to get her voice past the lump that was suddenly lodged in her throat.

The two simply stared at each other for what seemed like a lifetime, but what was actually only a minute.

It was Chloe who took the initiative when she stepped towards the older woman, and reached out her hand, hesitantly asking, "Mom?"

At the sound of her daughter's voice, Sarah found that she could move, and she grasped her daughter's hand and pulled her into a tight hug, saying "Yes, Chloe-bug, it's me."

All Chloe needed to hear was her childhood nickname and she burst into tears, hugging her mom just as closely to her. Sarah murmured words of comfort to her daughter, and Chloe sobbed for all she was worth.

Finally, she managed to pull herself together, and to stop crying long enough to exchange a watery smile with her mom.

Sarah glanced around the supply room, and handed Chloe a roll of paper towels to dry her face off and blow her nose.

While Chloe ripped off a sheet, Sarah looked at her daughter seriously and said, "Chloe, what are you doing here?"

Chloe answered just as seriously, "I'm here to get you out."

But before Chloe could elaborate, the door to the supply room opened, and there stood Miss Tancredi.

"Well, well, well, what have we here?"
    Last edited by Kit Merlot; 7th June 2009 at 03:57.
    KATHY

"Don't quote me to me!" Detective Danny "Danno" WIlliams, Hawaii Five-0, episode 1.8 Mana'o

"This could barely fill up Thumbelina!" SALIGIA by westwingwolf

My Fanfic Master List

My livejournal: An Accused Heretic

NS Full Member

Re: Scofield Standard Time (R) Ch 7 3/27

Ooh, more interesting developments...and I'm even more intrigued. I wonder what Chloe's planning with the phone. And the death in ward B? Another mystery, yay. There's a lot going on, but I love the intricacies of the plot.

The mother-daughter reunion was sweet. Chloe-bug, awwww. I can't wait to see how their relationship develops. But the ending, ack! I hope you update soon!

Spunky Chick Senior Member hfce's Avatar

That was a great update but oh oh how will they get out of this mess they are in? EEK

Hope
    "Everyone seems normal until you get to know them. "

At least Clark seems to be getting it that he should just be going along with the plan instead of asking so many damn questions, heh. And Chloe finally got to see her mom! But with all the shady people lurking around that place I don't know how easy it's going to be to bust out of there. Great update!

Steph*

walking with cavemen Senior Member Zannie's Avatar

Finally got a chance to catch up on some updates. This was quite an intriguing chapter. I can't wait to find out what Chloe has planned in this.

I really liked how you wrote the first scene with Clark: from the punch in the first line to the matching punch in the last one. Clark himself seemed very in character--both realistic and sympathetic. I really liked it.

Chloe and her mother were very sweet and moving, but I can't believe you ended it like that.

Cliff-hangers are evil.

Heheh.

Can't wait for more.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information