+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Separation (NC-17) Completed 2nd September 2014

NS Senior Member Senior Member HotCrossedBunny's Avatar

Separation (NC-17) Completed 2nd September 2014

Separation

Rating: NC-17
    Disclaimer: I don’t own Smallville, hence the lack of Chlex action in the series.
    Spoilers: I don’t think so.
    Summary: Lex needs help.

A/N: Yes, I am aware that I have two other stories on this board which are unfinished and that my second original novel hasn’t got passed the first four chapters but the plot bunny was insistent so here it is.

Chapter One

The crisp autumn sunshine bore down on the city of Metropolis, glinting off the LuthorCorp sky scraper. It filled the penthouse apartment, a sleek luxury abode filled with thousands upon thousands of dollars of art and antiques … most of which were now strewn across the floor. Most of them damaged if not completely destroyed. In short, the apartment is in chaos.

In the centre of the warzone stood a tall man with a forbidding expression etched onto his features. His normally pristine dark slacks were wrinkled and bore signs of spilled liquid, his shirt was rumpled, the sleeves up rolled up around his forearms and his jacket long since discarded.

In an obvious attempt to reign in his fury, he took a deep breath before pursing his lips attempting to reign in his fury. It wasn’t an entirely convincing expression. Even if it had, the redness creeping up his exposed neck would have been a dead giveaway. The normally composed businessman stared the room’s other inhabitant down.

She returned his gaze, apparently unimpressed by his towering size, his impervious expression or the warning glint in his eyes. She was his heart. She was absolutely gorgeous. Her long blonde hair hung messily around her face, but it couldn’t disguise her blue/green eyes or her will of iron.

“I am not in the habit of taking no for an answer”. He gave her the look which had sent older if not wiser people than she, ones who had been hardened by years of business battles, for the hills.

“No”. The word was screamed loudly enough for the entire city to hear. If either of them had torn their gaze away from the staring match in which they were engaged, they would have seen the pigeons who had been resting on the balcony taking flight.

He was a little shocked by the vehemence of her reaction but refused to let it show. “I will repeat myself”, he spoke slowly and clearly, “one more time”, it was more than anyone else would have got. He received another “no” for his troubles, along with a cacophony of “’ hate you’s”, screamed at him as she tore out of the living-room she had destroyed towards her bedroom.

“Lillian Luthor you come back here right now”, his tone brooked no disobedience, yet disobey she did. Lex Luthor, one of the most revered and feared men in the world, was met with a mahogany door slamming in his face and a shrill proclamation that she would never forgive him, “Not ever”.

Lex followed hot on her heels, his hand on the doorknob ready to rip the door of its hinges. He would not be locked out of a room in his own home and he certainly would not be spoken to like that. She was going to come out, talk about this and then clean up the mess. Then … He froze; through the door he could hear the unmistakable sound of muffled sobs.

“Fuck”, he swore, hopefully not loudly enough for his daughter to hear. Suddenly feeling about a hundred years old, with a head which weighed more or less the same as the state of Kansas, he leant forwards. The feel of the hard wood against his forehead did little to cool him down. He could still hear her, her breath catching in her tiny body. He gripped the door knob. Pride be damned; he had to go to her. He had made her so unhappy.

He straightened, turned around, made his way to the settee, brushed aside a few of the objects now strewn over it, and sank down. He surveyed the apartment and the incredible levels of damage which his progeny had wreaked. Nothing had been spared. His eyes travelled from his broken laptop, his destroyed documents, and his ancestor’s portraits now besmirched with crayon across the toy laden floor to his expensive decanter of whiskey which she had smashed. Heaving himself up, he made his way through the obstacle course of expensive, smashed toys and family heirlooms to the kitchen.

He was faced with the shattered remnants of porcelain and the hunk of broccoli stuck to the wall, which had actually started the whole meltdown. With a suppressed growl, he flung one of the cabinets open and grabbed a bottle of scotch, ripping its top off in one quick movement. He leant back against the kitchen counter top, ignoring the sensation that something was sticking to his rumpled shirt that shouldn’t be, as he swigged directly from the bottle.

How the fuck had he ended up like this? He closed his eyes and pinched the bridge of his nose. His head was throbbing and he was convinced that he could still hear the sound of his child in pain. “What the fuck am I supposed to do?” He asked the deserted room. Unsurprisingly, no answer was forth coming. The broccoli which remained stubbornly affixed to his wall, seemed to be mocking him.

He had no idea what he had done wrong. That day had been planned out like a military campaign - it was to be their first day together after all. He had arrived early to pick her up, giving him time to collect his bearings and make sure that he was looking his best with a big smile and a new pink pony cuddly toy under his arm. He had not got the huge hug he had been hoping for (and expecting), in fact she had seemed shy around him at first but he had hoped and trusted that she would open up once she had settled in.

The apartment had been done up since she had last seen it, and he had ensured that her bedroom was a little princess’ dream. It must have worked as she had seemed fine, if a little subdued, and had spent the rest of the morning at the coffee table in the living room colouring in as he worked on his laptop. He had planned to take her to the park after lunch, which had been nutritious and carefully thought out, but which had also proved to be her undoing. He had only suggested that she try some of the broccoli when she had erupted.

He was sure that she had liked broccoli, but even if she hadn’t her reaction had been completely unwarranted. There could be no excuse for the way that she had destroyed his laptop, his phone or his iPad. If it hadn’t happened in front of his very eyes he would have never believed it. It had reminded him of that Gremlins movie he had once seen at Prep school, his sweet little angel transforming into a monster. What was more, a monster of surprising speed. He couldn’t believe how quickly she had sped around, destruction in her wake, somehow managing to slip right through his fingers twice.

His bedroom was the scene of the next show down. He finally cornered her there, where she was attacking his passport with a pair of scissors she had found on his desk. She must have been possessed by the devil, that was the only explanation – a devil who had given her super speed. The second that he had released her, to place the scissors out of her reach, she had taken off once again, smashing, throwing or kicking everything in her path. If getting to his most prized painting hadn’t necessitated the arduous task of climbing up onto the mantelpiece, he doubted that he could have caught her again.

Lillian’s small body had been wrenched from the fireplace and tucked under his arm as he strode back across the room before, before being plonked down in the centre of the room a safe distance from anything that could potentially hurt her. He had been seething. Not only had she been rude, disrespectful, disobedient, made it impossible for him to continue with his work, and not eaten her broccoli, she had put herself in danger. She knew better than to go near the fireplace, climb on things and go near alcohol or broken glass.

He swore again as he began to pace, remembering the complete hash that he had made of everything. He hadn’t the faintest idea what to do and the mess (literal as well as figurative) was driving him crazy. At least one of them could be easily fixed. He ordered his staff in, and told them curtly to have the place spotless within twenty minutes before heading to his own suite of rooms (next to his daughter’s).

In his safe sat several emergency laptops, phones, tablets and copies of any and all important documents. He should have got straight back to work, but he stood there staring out of the window at the city which stretched out before him. All of this he could control, but one little girl had proved to be his undoing.

With no small degree of effort, he forced himself to calm down slightly; he was in no fit state to face her as he was. He went to shower and change his clothes, removing all evidence of her disobedience from his attire. Then he checked his reflection in the mirror, he was pleased to see looked more like himself. He was, once more, the slick, ruthless businessman who was feared all over the country.

“Back into the valley of the beast”, he said, his voice deceptively calm. He had decided to be polite and calm whatever happened. He marched out of his room and over to Lillian’s, noticing as he went that his orders had been carried out and that the place was not sparkling with what could be salvaged of her toys neatly stacked, all evidence of the tantrum removed and his prized painting covered up. He tapped on the door and took the muffled, “Go away”, as an invitation to enter.

“Lillian”, he started calmly, as he closed the door after himself. “I have come to talk to you and I hoped that this time we could have a mature and sensible conversation”.

He swallowed as he got his first good look at the room. The sea of pink was just as he had left it with only one small exception, there was tiny ball underneath the bed clothes and a unicorn’s horn sticking out of the top.

“Now”, he continued prosaically, making his way over to the bed. He considered sitting down on it for a second but then decided that that seemed too intrusive, he thought about remaining standing but didn’t want to tower over her, so he dragged a nearby, unfortunately child sized chair over, and did his best to be seated on it whilst maintaining the correct air of calm and patient authority.

“You know that your behaviour out there was not acceptable”, he continued giving her the opportunity to turn to face him properly. She appeared disinclined to do so. “And”, he tried to continue but stopped again, disconcerted. He was finding this hard enough without not being able to see her face; she might not even have been listening to him for all he knew. “Come on, sit up I can’t talk to you like this”.

“Don’t care”, she sniffled into her pillow, her voice still mulish and broken. The ball in his grew so large that he couldn’t swallow around it, he could barely breath. He supposed that he should have been happy for a proof that she hadn’t been ignoring him, but her obvious pain cut him to the quick.

“Lillian”, he repeated her name, “this is not going to work. We need to be able to talk about this to get to the bottom of the matter and start to forge a relationship”, apparently the book he had read the night before had had more of an effect than he had thought.

“Don’t care, hate you. Never want to speak to you again. Never going to forgive you. Want to go home!” Her normally eloquent (for her age) speech was garbled, the words either running into each other or punctuated with hiccups but Lex understood her.

“No baby, don’t say that”, he leaped up and reached over to the corner of the bed where she was hiding, and tried to pull her into his arms but she resisted, clinging to the bed with all of her might. “Princess, baby”, he tried again but met with the same reaction and, fearing that he might actually hurt her, he placed her back on the bed.

“Okay Lillian, you are clearly still upset. I will give you some time to calm down and then we will talk and try to put this all behind us”. ‘Put the mess behind them’, he snorted, that was code for ‘Please forgive me, I’ll forget about everything you did wrong, all of the naughtiness and let you get away with anything you want if you will just stop crying. If you stop hating me too, I will buy you a real pony to boot’.

He strove to remind himself that sometimes children needed time alone and that you weren’t supposed to give in to their every demand. That was what all of the books said. He forced himself to leave the room and wait for a whole hour – staring intently at his watch, just outside her bedroom door – before re-entering, but he had no more luck the second time around.

She still refused to even look at him. He tried to remain calm and not cave. Half an hour after that he returned with oranges, thinking that she needed to at least eat something but was met with stony silence. Twenty-five minutes later, he tried with bananas with the same result. Twenty minutes later, it was apples. Fifteen minutes after that, raspberries. Both were met with the same lack of response. By the time that he got it down to one minute intervals he had given up all thoughts of discipline, remaining calm and not negotiating. He was openly begging her to eat something, anything, and trying to sneak chocolate buttons into her.

Still she refused.

He retreated and grabbed his last hope, the house phone. He punched in the number he still remembered so well and held his breath as it rang once, twice and then he got the connection. In one breath, he let go of every last vestige of pride he possessed, “Chloe, I know that this is not a good time, and that I have no right to just call you up but I need you”.

A/N: If you would like me to continue with this story, please review so that I know. Also, feedback on what you think about Lex and the potential age of the child would be much appreciated (along with anything else of course). I know her age, but as witnessed before, the kids I know seem to be a bit smarter than the average ones.
    Last edited by HotCrossedBunny; 2nd September 2014 at 20:27.

Members

Re: Separation (NC-17) Posted 17th January 2014

Very good start! I am hoping chloe is the mother...? I would estimate the child to be 5/6?

This is an interesting start, I can't wait to read Chloe's introduction to the story and how she reacts to the chaos.

I love the idea of Lex and his own Luthor hellion progeny. I can't wait to see how Chloe plays into this story.
    Last edited by tatie87; 20th January 2014 at 06:13.

Members

Great start, can't wait for more.

NS Full Member

interesting.can't wait to see when chloe gets introduced

NS Full Member

Hmm, great beginning. Can't wait to see how Chloe will handle Lily.

Members

Great start.

Thank-you to all of my lovely reviewers.

Trinna: Thank-you, I hope that you will continue to read.

Trckyrcky: Yay, hope that it won't dissapoint.

Cbrunberg: She is going to be introduced right now!

Tyrarose: Yay! Thanks for reviewing.

Tatie87: Oh Lilly is going to be so much worse than Lex. Hint for a couple of chapter's time: Lilly has Lionel wrapped around her little finger.

Welshy: He he Thank-you for reviewing, update coming in a few minutes.

Kaw: Aren' you clever.

A/N: And here it is, the next chapter.

Chapter Two

Chloe was antsy. There was no reason why she should be: it was a beautiful day in Metropolis, she was with a handsome man, and was strolling along the sidewalk towards a lovely lunch, however she couldn’t rid herself of the nervous tension which had been plaguing her all day.

She was so tense that she almost jumped out of her skin when her phone sounded. “Sorry”, she shot her date an apologetic smile as she rummaged around in her bag, furious with herself for not having worn something with pockets. This was the last time that she was going to try to look good for a date.

“Don’t worry about it, I understand”, he smiled at her gently, supporting her bag to aid her frantic search.

As her fingers closed around her treasure she glanced up at him, and was struck by a warm, fuzzy feeling she had not experienced for quite a while. He was really quite handsome, not exactly tall but hardly short, with a reasonable physic and auburn curly hair, green eyes and an enthusiastic, heart-felt smile. He reminded her of a puppy dog. These pleasant thoughts disappeared as she flipped open her cell and felt her heart freeze: “Chloe, I know that this is not a good time, that I have no right to just call you up but I need you”.

Panic rose up through her, and she demanded, “What the hell is wrong Luthor?” without consideration for those passing-by.

“I need you”, his voice cracked with desperation but even had it not, she knew what it cost him to utter those words. He sounded exhausted, and more defeated than she had thought possible. He hadn’t sounded that bad when his father had taken everything from him.

“Are you both alright?” She got the question out somehow, fearing the worse.

“Yes”. Chloe breathed a sigh of relief as he uttered that one word. “I know that I don’t have the right but …”

“We’ll be there in five minutes”, she calculated the distance as she stuck her hand out to summon a taxi.

Even through his relief (which was by no means inconsiderable), Lex had noticed the ‘we’ and had been about to inquire about that when she hung up. He took a deep breath as he placed the phone back in its cradle and stuck his head back around his daughter’s bedroom. There was no change there; she was still huddled up with the covers over her head, flatly refusing to come out or to eat anything.

He hated feeling impotent. It was just typical that the two people he cared about most in the world were the only two that he could not bend to his will. He cleared his throat to signal that he was back and then asked if she would like something but was met with the same silence. He was not used to being ignored, anyone else he would have forced them to look at and speak to him – and give him the answers he wanted – but he couldn’t do that to his baby. He couldn’t risk hurting her.

In a much shorter time than had been indicated the door burst open. He turned just in time to see Chloe marching in, with a man in her wake. He had no idea whether security had recognised her or if they had just been too petrified to try to stop her. He felt a little nervous himself and was glad that he had had everything cleaned up.

“Chloe, I can explain”, he started, as he came out of the bedroom into the living room. She was every bit as gorgeous as in his dreams, her blonde hair was windswept, her cheeks pink and her eyes glinting with fury. Had he not been so concerned about his daughter, he would have felt himself stirring as he always did when she was angry.

“Where is she?” Chloe inquired in clipped tones, never directly looking at him.

“She’s through here, in her -”, he didn’t get out the word bedroom (thus being denied the opportunity to demonstrate that he had made provision for her), as he was pushed out of the way as soon as she found out the right direction. He narrowly avoided hitting the door jamb as she forged ahead.

Lex caught a brief glimpse of his rival making himself comfortable on his several thousand dollar sofa as he turned and followed Chloe inside, making a point of closing the door behind him.

Chloe scanned the spacious bedroom – it was about the size of the house she had grown up in and was filled with toys and various shades of pink, she wasn’t surprised, especially not after having glimpsed the pile of new toys in the sitting room – until she discovered the little lump under the bedspread with a unicorn horn that she recognised from that morning sticking out of the top.

“Baby”, she cried out, and Lex realised that Lillian came by her super speed honestly as Chloe bolted across the room. She failed to stop in time and ended up crashing into the bed clambering for the bump. Lex got a rather nice view of her bottom clad in her ‘bring men to their knees go to’ wrap around green dress, as she crawled across the enormous bed to scoop up the bump.

It was the kind of intrusion that Lex had hesitated to make, all things considered, but Lillian didn’t appear to mind. “Mommy”, she cried out, finally immerging as she wouldn’t for him and flinging her arms around Chloe, burying her face in her neck.

“It’s okay sweetie pie, I’m here, I’m here”, Chloe was almost pulled over by the little girl, but by reaching around to hitch her up with one arm and using the other to push herself back against the headboard and straightening her legs she managed to keep herself from falling forwards and crushing her.

Chloe bounced her up and down slightly and patted her back as if she were still a new-born, as fresh tears burbled up from the little girl.

Lex’s throat and chest constricted at the sight. He was so completely and utterly helpless. The bright light pouring in through the window highlighted just how terribly unhappy his angel was and that Chloe, as beautiful as ever, looked thinner than he would have liked, tired and upset too. He wanted to wrap his arms around both of them but that wasn’t his job anymore – his thoughts went back to the man he was dimly aware was waiting in his living room but he found him fairly easy to ignore.

“Does she need medicine?” He asked, as he perched on the bed, opposite Chloe as she whispered, “Sh, sh, it’s going to be alright. It’s all going to be alright”.

“Medicine? Why would she need medicine? She was fine this morning”, Chloe’s eyes snapped up to his face, in alarm, for the first time that day. She checked her daughter’s temperature with the back of her hand, only to find that she wasn’t overly hot considering how much crying she had been doing.

“She hasn’t been acting like herself”, Lex explained, reaching out his hand to stroke her long, blonde hair. Lillian clung even more desperately to her mother and Lex received a look, over his daughter’s head which stated that she had better get an explanation quickly and that it had better be the right one or she was quite capable of ripping his balls off and shoving them down his throat.

“Chloe, you can’t think that I hurt her”, he barked out in protest.

“I don’t think that you hit her, that is not quite the same thing”, Chloe muttered.

The ball of pain and guilt which had previously formed in his throat was now larger than said column, he was hot all over and sure that he was going a few seconds away from death. He actually felt slightly dizzy. His hands twisted in the coverlet to keep from throwing himself on both of them and trying to hold them, he felt a chocolate button beginning to melt under his hand and flicked it away. He felt Chloe’s questioning eyes upon him.

“She wouldn’t eat so I had to do something”, he explained, or at least, he tried to.

“Letting her eat buttons in bed?” Reproach only touched upon her tone.

“No, she wouldn’t eat them”, he sounded genuinely dismayed. “I was trying to get them under the covers”, prove position that he was a man at his wit’s end.

In spite of herself, she rolled her eyes. “That isn’t going to work”.

“Yeah, I worked that out”, he snapped.

There were both on edge, their daughter’s pain palpable and until she calmed down enough to speak there was nothing that they could do to help.

“She wouldn’t eat and then went berserk”, he offered by way of explanation.

“Thanks, that’s very helpful”, she snipped, and then closed her eyes. Great, that was the last thing that she should be doing. She couldn’t let her fear and anxiety for her daughter and her heartbreak over Lex lead her into acting improperly. Lex was the father of her most beloved child, and she wouldn’t be guilty of the impropriety of arguing with him in front of her. “Look”, she said, with a heavy sigh in her voice, “this”, she indicated to their seating arrangement, “doesn’t seem to be getting us anywhere. We have established that there is a problem, but not what it is and Lilly isn’t getting any calmer. Maybe you could wait outside?”

Lex blinked at her. Had she really just turfed him out of one of the rooms in his own home? His first through was to refuse but then he looked down at his baby, still crying and obviously wasn’t going to stop until he left. “As you wish”, he heaved himself up, a granite mask taking hold of his features.

Chloe felt her heart about to break all over again, she called out after him, “We will be out in a little while”.

He didn’t look back as he left, taking great pain to close the door softly. He felt as if he had just run a gauntlet, and then been rolled over by a pantechnicon truck. He was ready to sink into the arms of his constant companion, alcohol when he saw the man still sitting on his sofa.

“How’s Lilly?” He asked before Lex could open his mouth.

“I think that that is a family matter”, Lex snapped, “Jimmy, isn’t it?”

“It is”, the young man affirmed, apparently having no intention of leaving without Chloe. Lex scowled at the man who would probably end up raising his daughter, who he had seen with his arms around Chloe even back when they were supposed to be happily married.

The impertinent pup continued, “It might well be a family matter but Chloe and Lilly are both my friends and I would like to know if there is something seriously wrong with her”.

The concern in his eyes underlined the speech and Lex huffed. He couldn’t let anyone who cared about his child – however much he might hate him – suffer.

“We don’t know what is wrong with her yet. She wouldn’t eat her lunch so I am assuming the worst, I am considering calling the hospital just as a safety measure”.

“She might just not have liked it”, Jimmy suggested, “what was it?”

Lex shook his head, “It was roast chicken, potatoes, carrots and broccoli”. He watched as Jimmy’s face screwed up, and explained. “Lilly loves broccoli, strange I know but she really does”.

“No, she doesn’t”.

“Yes”, he stressed the word, “she does”.

“No”, he did a good impression of Lex, “she doesn’t. She used to like it until her third week of school when John Roberts threw up a load of broccoli right next to where she was sitting”.

“What? I never heard that”, Lex barked, still not sure that that explained the melt down but furious that no one had bothered to inform him of such an upsetting moment of his daughter’s life. He needed to be in possession of all of the facts, especially if random other people knew about them. Who the hell did they think that they were to keep information about his daughter from him?

A nagging voice in the back of his mind reminded him that he and Chloe had still been together then, that they had all been living in the same house. He sighed. He hadn’t had a business trip that week; Lilly should have told him herself. “Why wasn’t I told?”

Jimmy shrugged, “I don’t know. You were working, I presume. You were out of the country what, twenty-four, twenty-five weeks of last year?”

Lex’s teeth ground together for a second, before he answered in a dangerous voice, “Some of us have to work. I was here that week and when I wasn’t I called … I should have been told”. His words halted as he did the maths.

He had been away from home a lot last year and had not been too happy about it but it had been necessary he kept reminding himself. And when he had been in Metropolis he had had to work long hours, often from before Lilly woke up to after she went to sleep meaning that at least four or five days a week they hadn’t had any contact, he had gone entire weeks without having a conversation with his wife either. And when he had been away he hadn’t managed to call every single day. But it had all been necessary. It had just a temporary situation, once the business deal was over they would go back to being a happy family, or that had been the plan. It had never occurred to him that Chloe would leave him and take their daughter with her.

Over the last week since the separation had been decided upon, he had worked, plotted and drank a lot, but he had never managed to work out where it had all gone wrong. He hadn’t realised until that moment how separated he had become from his little family.

He felt sick … and like throwing something across the room. He guessed that he knew from whence Lillian had inherited that particular trait. He probably would have followed through on that desire had his ladies not been in the adjoining room.

“Come on now sweetie pie”, Chloe raised her daughter’s head, “you have to tell me what is going on. You are really starting to scare me and Daddy”.

She shook her little tear stained face.

“Daddy and I aren’t worried?” Chloe inquired, an eyebrow raised. She was not used to her daughter arguing with her. “Because I really thought that I was”.

“Not Daddy”, she managed to get out.

“Of course Daddy was worried, didn’t you see how scared he was?” Chloe had rarely seen Lex looking so genuinely terrified.

Lilly wasn’t having any of it. She informed Chloe of Lex’s long list of sins from that day which all proved that he didn’t love her and so she hated him. Her little chin wobbled. Lex’s future looked very painful in deed as Chloe began to mop up her baby and tried to convince her that it would all be alright.

Lex jumped to attention as his ladies reappeared. “Are you feeling better now Lillian?” He tried to sound composed and hoped that he looked business-like.

Lillian attempted to hide from him again, behind her mother’s leg. She was angry with him, furious in fact, but she wasn’t sure that she would survive another prove of his ambivalence towards her.

A flash of pain shot across his features and Chloe felt her heart lurch. She pretended not to notice her daughter’s attempts to hide and asked enthusiastically, “Would you mind keeping Uncle Jimmy company while I talk to Daddy for a moment, sweetie pie?”

“Uncle Jimmy?” Her head popped out, she spied him apparently for the first time and bolted to him, grinning and arms outstretched with a cry of delight. Chloe swallowed, wondering for a moment why she had thought that that would help diffusing matters.

“Hello there bright eyes, how it my most favourite-ist girl in the world?”

She giggled and planted a big kiss on his cheek as he scooped her up, but was apparently not so enamoured that she could refrain from correcting him. “Favourite-ist is not a word”.

“Are you sure about that?”

“Yes”.

He made a show of scratching his chin thoughtfully, a gesture which she copied, “What about pretty-ful most gorgeous-ist?”

“Nope”.

“Well that’s a shame”.

Lex, his heat ready to break in two, had been about snatch his daughter away from such a terrible influence and tell him to speak properly and then get out when he felt Chloe’s hand on his arm, pulling him, none to gently, into the corner.

Jimmy’s fascination was not great enough to keep Lilly from watching with interest, tinged with concern. They didn’t seem to be arguing but her parents never argued (at least as far as she knew) but something seemed off. She was just about to go over an investigate and demand that her mommy took her home when they appeared to end the conversation and head back over but then, Chloe stopped him. Lilly struggled to get out of Jimmy’s arms, straining to hear but was unsuccessful catching only the words “alcohol”, “baby”, “ balls off”. She wrinkled her forehead in confusion alla Lex. That made no sense, Daddy didn’t have any balls of fun things to play with but it seemed to make sense to him as he paled and looked about to apologise but Chloe wasn’t listening. She was marching back over to the settee and sat down next to Jimmy and Lilly, who was still sitting in his lap.

Lex swallowed, Chloe’s words ringing in his ears. Shit, he had fucked up royally once again. Had he been anyone else in the world he would have sat down and cried at that moment, begging for forgiveness and for them to come back to him. He would do anything that they wanted but he was a Luthor before anything else and so he forced himself to walk forwards calmly. He put his hands in his pockets, so that the ladies wouldn’t see the fists he was making, as he watched as Jimmy kissed Chloe on the cheek and then repeated the process on Lilly and added a hair ruffle. Lex scowled, especially as he stood up indicating that he was about to leave – he didn’t want Chloe and Lilly to leave with him – but then, blessedly, with a nod to Lex he left.

“Right”, Lex clapped his hands together, regaining everyone’s attention, and taking control of the situation, “now that he has gone we can get down to business”. He walked over to them and sat down on the coffee table, so that he wasn’t towering over either of them, “now hopefully we can sit down and talk about this like sensible adults”.

“I’m not an adult”, Lillian pointed out, apparently forgetting everything else in her need to correct.

Chloe glanced worriedly between the two of them.

He smiled at her fondly, “I know that. Now I’m not saying that I approve of your behaviour this morning or the fact that you refused to sit down so that we could resolve the problem but when I said acting like an adult I meant myself”.

He thought that he heard a sigh of relief coming from Chloe’s direction, but he couldn’t take his eyes off his baby even for her. His baby did not look convinced.

“You don’t like broccoli”, he stated simply.

She shook her head, although under his serious gaze she attempted to hide at least half of her face behind Chloe’s arm once more.

“I thought that you did”, he explained, feebly.

“No”, she proceeded to explain why and Lex nodded understandingly. “That must have been very traumatic for you”.

“It was”, she said, as if vindicated after some people (a school teacher) had said that it was time she got over it. She wouldn’t say that now that Daddy agreed with her.

“I bet that you would have liked to discuss such a terrible experience with your Daddy”, he suggested.

She nodded.

“But I wasn’t around enough”.

She shook her head.

“And then we all left our house and went to live in different accommodation. That must have been very hard”, he really should have been flogged as his father had suggested upon hearing of the break in the family.

She teared up a little and attempted burrow herself completely behind Chloe.

“And today didn’t go very well, did it?” He reached out and tugged her little foot, desperate for some contact. He liked her patent shoes, they were very nice. He figured that he should probably have told her as much. “I think that I have quite a good idea as to why, but I would like to hear it from you”. That absolutely wasn’t true, he didn’t want to hear (he wanted to stick his fingers in his ears and sing la la la repeatedly to avoid hearing how badly he had hurt his child) but he knew that it was the only way to forge ahead. He was not losing his daughter as well as his wife.

His heart ached as he watched her getting shy and scrambling into Chloe’s lap and burying her head again, once she had worked out that Chloe wouldn’t let her hide behind her from her father. He swallowed and moved over to sit on the settee next to them and reached out to stroke her back and felt her tremble, “Please sweetie”.

“Go on”, Chloe encouraged.

“Sweetheart”, Lex continued to stroke her hair, “would you tell me what happened, please? That is all that I want, that’s all that I have been trying to do since lunchtime. I want to understand”.

This met with no response.

“Please baby, I love you so much I need to understand”. He was beyond desperate now.

Chloe felt sick, dying to embrace the man who was technically still her husband and leant over to try to offer him some form of comfort when she was prevented from doing to by her daughter; Lex’s words finally sparked a reaction, although not the one he had been hoping for.

A garbled torrent of vehemence abounded and once again he was reminded forcefully of Chloe, ending in, “You don’t love me”.

“Yes I do baby, of course I do. You know that I do, I …” He realised that he had handed things badly but she couldn’t really believe that.

“You don’t love me and you don’t love Mommy and you are a bad man and I hate you and I hate broccoli and I will never forgive you”, she got out in one breath.

“Baby no”, he cried out, looking around ready to break, “you can’t really believe that. I love you both so much, more than you could ever realise. You have to know that”. He looked at Chloe in distress only to find her staring at him in complete and utter shock. She couldn’t help but remember how they had broken up.

As he looked from one angelic face to the other he realised that neither of them believed him. They both genuinely believed that he didn’t them.

His features settled into a hard, cold mask.

A/N: If you got this far down, thanks for reading now please review. Question for the chapter: what do you think of how both sides are handling the problem? Is Lilly naughty or just misunderstood?

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information