+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Divided Devotions (R) 09/18/07 (complete)

Divided Devotions (R) 09/18/07 (complete)

Disclaimer: I own nothing.
    Title: Divided Devotions
    Rating: R
    Spoiler: Season 4 Episode 4 'Devoted'. From there completely AU.
    AN: I just wanted to take another approach to the episode that gave chlexers such a cringe worthy moment (i.e. the jersey scene), I figured I can try and rewrite SV history. So that's what I'm doing. But I did base some of the scenes from the actual episode transcripts. Thanks a bunch to lj715! She encouraged me to post this new story.

Divided Devotions

Chapter 1

“So please enjoy the new uniforms.” Lex Luthor concluded as he kept his gaze on his friend.

There was some mild applause in the locker room but not a single acknowledgment from Clark Kent. Lex kept himself from showing any sign of disappointment and proceeded to walk out.

“I know what you’re doing. But you can’t buy my friendship.” Clark declared quietly as he passed by him.

Lex just looked at him and kept on walking.

As he exited the stifling locker room he wondered briefly why he was so intent in keeping Clark as his friend. Then of course he was reminded by the numerous times that the younger man had rescued him and the fact that Clark was the only one who was willing to give him a chance when he first arrived in Smallville. He wasn’t about to give up on the one friendship that mattered to him.

“I’m sorry. You know, my priorities.” he looked up from his deep thoughts as he heard a very familiar voice.

Chloe Sullivan was repeating the words over and over, in a slightly mocking tone. So intent in her impersonation of whoever incurred her wrath that she would have walked straight into him. Luckily for her he was watching where he was going.

“Ms. Sullivan.” he uttered quietly. His amusement at having caught her talking to herself was fully evident and he knew it.

Chloe looked up at him and checked the urge to roll her eyes at his greeting. “Mr. Luthor.” she retorted in the same tone.

“I believe Clark will be out in just a moment.” he commented offhandedly, knowing instinctively that she was headed for the boy’s locker room, probably in search of the new quarterback.

“Contrary to popular belief my world doesn’t revolve around Clark. I’m actually on my way to see Coach Teague.” she glared at him as she tried to walk past him.

“Interview?” Lex couldn’t help the question.

This time she actually rolled her eyes at him, not bothering with an answer.

“So the intrepid girl reporter lives on. Nothing like death could possibly stifle your ambition.” Lex was baiting her, hoping for the revival of their old patterns. They traded barbs, that was just their way. The summer before should not get in the way of their routine. At least he hoped that it wouldn’t.

“Death will rue the day that he tries to keep me from becoming a star reporter at the Daily Planet.” she gave him a irrepressible smile.

“Dully noted. I shall leave you to your…musings.” Lex rejoined, referring to her rant before his interruption.

“Oh and I should probably write a side note about your generous donation to the football team.” Chloe called out to him as he started walking towards the doors.

Lex turned back to face her and saw the look she was giving him. It was a mixture of exasperation and understanding.

“You have to earn it back. Just from someone who‘s been there.” she gave him a meaningful look before walking away.

Lex watched her as she disappeared from his view. Chloe always knew what to say to him. He had to make sure for a moment that he was still sporting the ever reliable Luthor mask. Knew for a fact that he was. It was disconcerting to know that a slip of a girl could know him so well.

Chloe huffed impatiently.

The day just kept getting worse. First her two reporters were late. One of them had stated in no uncertain terms that she wanted out of Smallville. The other was reprioritizing, which meant that he would be cutting his time from the Torch. It meant only one thing for her: more work. And while she had a supreme passion for journalism, she was not under any illusions that she could publish a paper by herself. She needed minions for that.

‘Wonder if Lex would let me borrow some of his.’ she smiled at the thought. Lex Luthor would probably have a hard time sharing anything.

The momentary distraction didn‘t do anything to alleviate her mood. She was annoyed that Coach Teague was not being receptive to her journalistic inquiries. She watched as he walked over to the entire cheerleading squad and got himself a drink. The cheerleaders were looking on as he took a sip of his drink. Part of Chloe was suspicious at their overly interested stares. Then again they might just be hot for the new assistant coach. Personally she didn’t find him all that attractive. She leaned more towards the tall, dark and handsome type. ‘Hair optional.’ she smiled at the thought.

Before she can fully assess the situation with the suspicious cheerleader she saw Clark as he jogged towards her.

“Hey, Clark! Hi. I know you're not exactly journalistically inclined right now, but I was just-”

“This isn’t a good time Chloe.” Clark told her as he continued running to the field.

“Right. Priorities.” she practically sneered as she repeated the words. She dropped her notepad on the cooler as she grabbed a plastic cup, filled it to the brim with the green Gatorade.

She took a sip of her drink and proceeded to watch the action on the field. Her gaze was focused on Clark.

Chloe smiled brightly as she watched him start the play. “Clark.”

“I know! He’s like the hottest man in like the entire universe.” one of the cheerleaders declared loudly.

Chloe couldn’t help but overhear the conversation. She took another sip of her drink as she listened in on the talk between the bimbos.

“Oh when I saw him leaving I can’t help but stare at his ass. Oh the things I would do to Lex Luthor!” another cheerleader uttered breathlessly.

She smiled at what she heard. “Lex…”

Chloe entered the Torch and she practically beamed in the delight at the sight that greeted her.

“Hello! Uh, look, I'm gonna need you to run with that psycho quarterback story. You might want to interview his girlfriend Mandy. She's a cheerleader.” she told Lois cheerfully as she handed her the notepad.

“Hi, I'm busy trying to get out of Mayberry.” Lois told her pointedly.

“That's fine. Do whatever you want. You're in charge now. I'm quitting the Torch.” she smiled widely.

“Whoa! Wait. Quitting? Why?” Lois looked shocked at her announcement.

Chloe rolled her eyes as though Lois was being idiotic by asking her such a question. “I finally realize that I could devote my time to better things.”

Lois’ brows furrowed at her answer. “What better things?”

“Wouldn’t you like to know?” Chloe’s smile turned sly. “Besides if I continue burrowing myself in this stupid school newspaper then I’ll never be able to devote myself completely to Clark and-”

“Chloe you’re talking crazy here. You can‘t quit the Torch, you love this stupid school newspaper. And Clark is not even worth it. How many anvils are you gonna let this guy drop on you?” Lois blurted out indecorously.

She glowered at her cousin upon hearing the words, “I thought you of all people would be glad for me, especially now that I know how I can finally be happy. Why are you getting in my way Lois?” the question held a dangerous note to it.

“Look Chlo-” Chloe just glared at Lois in return, her stare was unwavering.

“Fine. Looks like I’m gonna be covering the pom-pom beat.” Lois said in a defeated tone, she knew the Sullivan stubbornness was difficult to fight.

And just like that Chloe was cheerful again. She waved and yelled her thanks as she headed for the door.
    TBC
    Last edited by toryjhay; 18th September 2007 at 19:27. Reason: Updated

Members

Re: Divided Devotions (R) 04/01/2007

Well you've got me hooked. This is a great start and I look forward to lots more chapters but please tell me Chloe quitting The Torch is only temporary insanity.

NS Senior Member Senior Member lj715's Avatar

HA!!!! I guess I have my answer to when you'll post this story. I love it! My favorite line was Chloe telling Lex he had to earn Clark's friendship/trust & to take it from someone who has been there. Gives them something in common. Clark's such a dink. Well, can't wait for more. Great job!

NS Senior Member Senior Member

I love the idea of rewriting history. So is Chloe going to be devoted to both Clark and Lex? Because that'd be difficult to master even if they weren't on opposite sides. Poor girl is probably going to be giving so many mixed signals it will send everyone into a tailspin and I can't wait to see it. Particularly interested in seeing how Lex will handle all of this.

ETA: I should pay more attention to titles, they prove most helpful in answering some questions.

looking for updates Senior Member somethingeasy's Avatar

This was an interesting start to an intriguing plot line. I was quite confused by Chloe's about-face attitude. Telling Lex that she would only surrender the torch when 'Death's cold embrace' pried the newspaper away from her fingers, and then suddenly announcing that she was quitting.

I suppose everyone has their breaking point. Chloe's was having all the people she depended on quit on her with the offensive phrase 'we have different priorities' a.k.a 'The Torch (and you, Chloe) are a meaningless, unimportant waste of our previous time'. I guess she decided if she couldn't drum up support for her 'unimportant priorities' it was time to give up?

It doesn't sound like a Chloe-thing to do, but then again... I ALSO noticed that her sudden attitude change came after she consumed GREEN gatorade, You would have thought Chloe, of all people, would have learned the dangers of consuming, inhaling, touching and coming near anything with a greenish tinge in Smallville.

I look forward to the next chapter. Whether Chloe has been meteorite infected, or whether she's genuinely facing a mid-teen crises, it would be interesting to see what her 'new priorities' would be, and how she goes about achieving them.

interesting start. now more please

huMMM??? What???? She quited???

It was the drink wasn't it??? Tell me it was the drink!!!

Ohh lets see what happens.

An Accused Heretic Senior Member Kit Merlot's Avatar

This is an intersting beginning! I can't wait to see where you go with it.
    KATHY

"Don't quote me to me!" Detective Danny "Danno" WIlliams, Hawaii Five-0, episode 1.8 Mana'o

"This could barely fill up Thumbelina!" SALIGIA by westwingwolf

My Fanfic Master List

My livejournal: An Accused Heretic

Ooooo this is sooo exciting!! I'm already really liking this beginning hehe

Whoa. You definitely have something going here. Do continue! I wanna see what Devoted!Chloe does to Lex.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information