+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast

Thread: The Great Deception (NC17) Updated 6th November 2015

NS Senior Member Senior Member HotCrossedBunny's Avatar

Re: The Great Deception (NC17) Posted 18th October 2014

A/N: Sorry it look so long.

Chapter Twenty-Eight

“Fine, Lex barked. “Benson, send someone over to the Kent’s to inform Gabe of the change in sleeping arrangement and get everything else sorted out. He felt sick that Chloe was in some sense losing her home. And even more sick that he was actually grateful to his father that he was keeping Chloe close - even if it was unknowingly.

He looked over at Lana and Clark who were both standing there looking nervous, a decided contrast from Lionel (who was smirking) and Chloe (who was standing next to Lex, snarling at Lionel).

“Clark”, he addressed him, “keep Chloe company until I get back?”

“Of course”, Clark had strode over to the petite blonde and wrapped his arm around her shoulders.

“Honestly, son, it might be slightly less obvious if you actually said: keep Dad’s hands off her”, he smirked, “And I doubt that Miss Sullivan will appreciate your cave man attitude. Positively neolithic!”

“She’ll get used to it”, Lex snapped before slinking over to his father and making him move into another room. With elegance, grace, and mockery Lionel consented.

“Was there something that I can do you for son?” He inquired placidly.

“What do you want Dad?” Lex demanded in a no nonsense tone of voice.

“Why to spend time with you, of course”, Lionel replied with considerably less candour.

“Cut the crap Dad”, he snorted, as he crossed his arms.

“I shouldn’t have let you drop elocution lessons so soon”, Lionel tisked, surveying his son’s crossed arms. Insolent little pup.

“Dad, both of our businesses have flourished in the last few years because the battles between us have simmered down. What is it that you want?” Lex repeated his question.

Lionel studied his son as if he were actually considering the matter. “What is your relationship with Miss Sullivan?”

Lex’s eyes narrowed, his arms unfolded and he took on large, menacing step towards his father. “If you touch her. They won’t find enough of your body to identify the corpse”.

“Son, I’m hurt”.

“Not yet”.

Finally he was able to deliver a threat which was believable. Lionel smiled. She’s done him the world of good. He whistled a jaunty tune as he returned to the inhabited room.

~*~

Lionel sank back into the leather chair, stretching his legs out in front of him onto the pouf with a contented sigh. He didn’t know why he stayed away from the castle so much. It was really rather comfortable now that he was here.

He rolled his head from one side to the other before opening his newspaper and seeing what was going on in the world that day. This was something that he normally did first thing in the morning over breakfast, a cup of good coffee and a croissant. In fact, that was what he had been doing when his detective had come in and shown him the most recent images of his son and Chloe.

It had been with a groan that he had forgone his preferred nourishment to see what his offspring was up to now. Chloe was certainly a better choice than any of the women who had come before her but he still liked to know what was going on. The news that Gabe had come back was concerning. A tumble in the hay was one thing, meeting (or re-meeting as they case might be) the parents was another matter entirely.

Still, he had not expected quite so much entertainment. Even as he was reading his paper he found it dropping down just enough for him to witness everything going on about him. It was even more interesting than the business section.

Trio sat huddle in the corner. Chloe, Clark and Lana were gathered onto one sofa with Clark in the middle, a protective arm around each girl as if he thought that Lionel would actually swoop down and ravage one of them. Little did he know that if Lionel wanted a woman, he could make them come to him with one long, seductive look. It was a gift.

He hadn’t thought that Lex would ever leave him alone in the same room with Chloe again, he probably wouldn’t have without her flannel covered protector. At least his son had better fashion sense than that. More savvy too.

Lionel peered over his paper and in spite of his knowledge of the farm boy he still found it difficult to believe that he didn’t seem to be enjoying himself surrounded by such beauty. Had it been him in that position at that age both girls would have been flat on their backs. It was true what they said: youth was wasted on the young.

There wasn’t much chance of that any more, not with his back the way that it was. He was going to have to get better seats on that helicopter. Ones with more lumbar support. Had it not been that he didn’t want to show weakness then he would have stood up and stretched it out. As it was, he concentrated on the show.

Lana was resolutely avoiding looking at him while apparently all of the farm boy’s charms couldn’t distract Chloe from her need to bore into Lionel. He was rather enjoying the attention, until Lex walked back in and her eyes immediately trained on him. She looked like she was about to go over to him but Lex gave a tiny, almost imperceptible shake of his head and Chloe stopped. Waiting where she was.

Lionel’s interest was peaked. So someone had some measure of control over the little spitfire? He wondered what was going on.

He continued to wonder as he watched his son return and Lana hurry over to his son and fawned all over him. If looks could kill, Lana would have been six feet under, from three directions.

~*~

“I’m really sorry that you got dragged into this”, Chloe said to Clark, making sure that her voice was low enough that only he could hear her. She really did, she shouldn't have been messing around with his life. She had only brought him into a difficult situation.

“Don’t be silly”, Clark chided her gently, reaching around to pull her into a one armed hug. “You didn’t drag me into anything and I want to be here for you and for Lex”.

Chloe looked up at him. “You really are a big old softie, aren’t you?”

He smiled self-depreciatingly, “I’m nothing special”.

“Only you could say and think that”, she whispered with a shake of the head.

“What’s going on with Lex and his Dad?” Clark wondered.

“I don’t know and to be honesty, I don’t want to think about it. At least not until I can actually talk to Lex about it”, Chloe rested her head on his large, warm shoulder.

“Yeah, hopefully Lana can think of something to say to make him feel better”, Clark looked over at the pair.

“Yeah”, Chloe replied, feeling oddly upset that Lana was there with Lex instead of her. She knew that he preferred the brunette to her. Everyone did. And in Lex’s case - like most men in Kansas - he was in love with her. It didn’t bother her normally, she just wanted him to be happy but sometimes .... Sometimes she just wished that things could be different although she wasn’t exactly sure how.

“It’ll be okay”, Clark assured her, with the gentlest of squeezes.

“I hope you’re right”, she sighed. “Don’t you just wish sometimes that things could go back to being simpler?”

“Since when has life ever been simple with you around Sullivan?” Clark laughed.

“Hey”, she complained, pretending to elbow him in the ribs, “I don’t always cause trouble”.

“Sure you don’t”, he continued to chuckle at her and squeezed her in a fortifying manner.

“Remember when we were in Junior High?” She had been angelic then.

“I remember going to school one day to be told that I was showing you around, by you I might add”, he added. “Not the teacher”.

“Well”, she admitted with a laugh, “I thought that you looked nice and when you want something you have to go for it”.

“And boy did you”, Clark smiled at the memory. “You then peppered me with about a million questions until you found that I lived on a farm and thought that I was Amish. You then invited yourself over”.

“That is a lie”, Chloe protested. “I did not invite myself over. I was raised right. I waited to be invited”.

“Oh please, you looked at me with those huge green eyes and infectious smile and told me”, he raised his voice to a poor falsetto, “‘You know Clark, I’ve never seen a farm. I bet that it would be really cool to look around’”.

“How was that forcing you?” Chloe asked blushing and covering it up with a smack on his huge forearm. She didn’t know that he had ever thought of her like that.

“Well, you left me with no choice but to invite you over. That is force, he said decidedly.

“Nah, coercion at best/most”, she had a finally tuned sense for these things after all of her years as an inspiring investigative reporter.

“Sure”, he said unbelievingly, “then you laid one on me”.

“There was some stuff in between”, Chloe protested.

“I know, but those are the three parts of the day that I really remember”, he replied with a smile and a blush.

“I’m sure that you do you big old horn dog”, she gave him another nudge.

“Hey, a man always remembers his first kiss”. Clark went bright red.

Chloe just smiled. “But, kissing aside, it was a simpler time”.

“You still got into a fair amount of trouble with your stories”, he burst her bubble.

“Come on, you don’t remember going to my house and watching TV and doing homework because my Dad was away so we could watch TV and do homework?” Martha, although lovely in many ways, would never have allowed them to watch TV until after every single maths problem was done. “Or Pete’s to play video games post homework?” His mom had been strict too.

“Yeah, I remember. They were good times”, he acknowledged.

She smiled nostalgically, “I thought that Uni would be a bit more like that. Fewer Meteor Freaks and stuff like that”.

“I’m sure that you still found a way to get into trouble”, Clark grinned at her knowingly.

She shrugged, “Well I’m not going to lie”, then paused.

“What is it?” Clark rubbed her shoulder encouragingly.

“Clark”, she started, staring down at her hands. “Do you remember that night you called me?”

“I know that we weren’t always the best correspondent, but I am fairly certain that I called you more than once in your entire college career”, he teased.

“Yes”, Chloe felt her throat growing tighter and wanted to drop the entire subject but then she looked up at Lana and Lex. She couldn’t be a coward any more. “I mean that one night”. Cautiously, she glanced up at him, “After the last time that you and Lana broke up”, she stipulated.

He paused and she could feel him tense up. “Yeah, vaguely”. His answer seemed so non-committal that she didn’t say anything more. “Why?” He sounded almost nervous but that couldn’t be. The man who faced meteor freaks and aliens without batting an eyelid couldn’t be fazed by one phone call.

“I just thought about that phone call more recently”, she replied with a shrug, heartily wishing that she had never brought up the subject to start with. What had she expected him to say? “Of course I remember it, I’ve never been able to get that call out of my head. Take me now!”

“Why?”

Chloe blinked at him. Oh right, she had asked him about that hadn’t she. “I don’t know”, she shrugged it off. “I guess that it is just being back here being around you guys again. I wonder if maybe I didn’t give you the best advice then.”

“Chloe, I really don’t remember that night that well”, he admitted bashfully, “so I don’t know. I’m sure that you did the right thing. You always do”.

“Right. Do you ...” She paused uncomfortably, “Do you wish that it had gone differently?”

“I suppose, I mean I certainly wish that Lana and I were still together but like I said, I don’t remember anything passed that point”, Clark said slowly, studying her face as he spoke.

“Right”. She didn’t know what had happened to him that night exactly or why he couldn't remember but she wished that it was that easy for her to forget. His voice, strained and lonely still echoed in her mind telling her that he was a stupid fool for falling for someone who had never cared about him. And that he shouldn’t be with Lana, but with someone like Chloe.

Chloe had been too shocked and gun shy from past attempts to answer at the time. Now she wondered what would have happened if she had had the courage to go for what she really wanted.

~*~

Lionel watched Clark and Chloe’s interaction and the fact that Lex kept looking over Lana’s head to glower at Clark.

“Not exactly subtle son”, he thought to himself.

He then observed Chloe’s eyes travelling over to Lex and Lana with increasingly regularity.

“Subtly is apparently a lost art for both genders”, he pondered to himself.

Finally, Lionel abandoned all pretence and closed his paper and put it away. He folded his hands in lap and just studied the group. It was at this moment that Benson came in and ruined all of his fun by announcing that the transfer had been made and that the guest house was ready for him to occupy.

“Right, thank-you Benson”, Lex said before checking his watch. “It’s late, I’m sorry to have kept you two so long. Clark, I’m sure that you are anxious to carry on your evening with Lana”, he said as if he were unaware that they had not been on a date.

Clark and Chloe got up and walked over to him, “Are you going to be alright?” Clark asked.

“Yeah, don’t worry about it. Just have a nice night”, Lex responded civilly.

“You know that you can always call me if you need anything”, Lana said, placing her hand on his arm before Clark encouraged her to depart.

Lionel also got to his feet, smiling at their retreating figures. “Well, I’ll be off then. I’ll see you both tomorrow”, he strode over to the door where he turned around and called out, “and Lex my boy, don’t be a pussy all your life”.

A/N: I appologise for Lionel's bad language.

NS Senior Member Senior Member malugargula's Avatar

lol
    never apologize for Lionel's bad language
    He cracks me up
    Malu

NS Full Member

i agree with maligargula don't apologize for lionel's bad manguage.lionel right lex & and chloe are not subtle.don't like lana.can't wait to see what happens next

Chapter Twenty-Nine

Lex blinked slowly as he woke up. He always woke up at the same time, five o’clock on the dot. It had been this way since his school days. A few hours of sleep per night had always been enough for him but for some reason today he didn’t want to get up just yet. He felt oddly tired. He would like to have blamed his age, his workload, or his father but the truth was that it was Chloe. He had been more scared than he had thought possible when he had considered the possibility of her moving away. He was a selfish, selfish man.

He knew that he should have pushed her away earlier. If he were a better man he would have done so. He should have done anything necessary to protect her. And he would ... Anything except losing her. He sucked.

He was the worst man in the world. No, the worst was staying in the guest house. But he wasn’t far behind. He was ...

There was a knock at the door.

He lifted his head up from the pillow, a confused expression on his face. What the hell was anyone doing knocking on his door at this time? Was the house on fire?

“Can I come in?” An extremely familiar voice called.

“Chloe?”

“Yes, it’s me”, her blonde head popped around the corner of his door, so that he could confirm her identity - although her eyes were closed, “are you decent?”

“Not in the slightest”, he replied with a wicked grin, “in any sense of the word”. His tension eased as he realised that although odd, this wasn’t in any way worrying - at least not as far as Chloe was concerned. She was smiling, even though her eyes were still closed.

“Give me a second”, he slipped out of bed and grabbed a pair of boxers and slipped them on.

“Come on Lex, hurry up it’s just me. No need to do your make up”, she urged him.

He laughed and slipped back into bed, he had planned on getting dressed but if she wasn’t going to wait that long then she would just have to deal with his state of unreadiness, “I am now covered”.

“The jury’s still out on the decent part?” She grinned, opening her eyes.

“That depends on what you are doing here at this time in the morning”, he wriggled an eyebrow at her.

“Oh, I’m going to rock your world”, she assured him, closing the door behind her and bouncing over to him. Lex watched her, with a smile on his face. Chloe had clearly not been up for very long. She was still in her pyjamas - eminently comfortable ones, adorned with cows jumping over moons -, fluffy socks, her hair was in a messy ponytail, with bits sticking up all over the place, without a scrap of make-up to obscure her features.

The only signs that he wasn’t her visit of the morning were the notepad in one hand and the large mug in the other. She placed the latter on the night-stand furthest away from him, before scrambling up onto the bed and under the covers.

Lex was surprised but did his best not to show it. He merely moved over to make space for her to be comfortable.

His efforts were unappreciated, “Hey were are you going?” Chloe complained, following him.

“I’m giving you space”, he explained.

“Don’t be silly”, Chloe made him stay where he was and snuggled close to him, nestled down and then looked up at him over her shoulder, “Are you going to be alright?”

“Yeah, you aren’t squashing me that much”, Lex deliberately misunderstood her question.

“Hey”, she gave him a nudge, and was about to demand a proper answer when he responded in a most improper way. The evil genius in Lex’s character urged him to tickle her. The squeal which she emitted urged him even further.

She tried to wriggle away from him but he slithered after her, easily pinning her to the mattress with one hand, leaving the other free to continue its torture. She flayed but was unable regain possession of her arms to retaliate.

“Stop”, she protested at his treatment through peels of laughter.

“What will you give me?” Lex demanded ruthlessly, his fingers continuing to torment her.

“What do you want?” She asked, breathlessly.

“I’ll take your coffee”, he decided evilly.

“No, not my coffee!” She expostulated, even as Lex released her and leant over to retrieve the beverage. “Nooo!” She protested throwing herself sideways only to find herself being pinned back down, this time on her front.

“Hey”, he warned as he gave up reaching for the cup, “stop wriggling. I can’t get the cup with your wiggling around like an eel”. Chloe continued her ill advised attempts to prevent his caffeine acquisition, and received a pat on the rump for her trouble.

“Hey”, she complained and he rubbed the afflicted area.

“Better?”

“Yes, rubbing good smacking bad”, she muttered into the pillow she was still being pressed into.

“Vanilla”, he teased her, good naturedly considering that he hadn’t had any coffee yet.

She craned her neck around enough for him to appreciate the fact that she was sticking her tongue out at him.

“Did that vulgar expression do anything to relieve your spleen?” He asked, doing his best to sound stern.

“A little”.

“Glad to hear it”, he grinned at her and patted her once again. “Now, settle down. I can’t have coffee if you are moving about”. He wasn’t going to risk her getting scalded.

“Fine, but let me up first”, Chloe huffed.

A small smile played around the corner of his lips, Chloe hated to lose. Even over the small things. They were very alike in that respect. “Alright”, he assented removing his hand from in between her shoulder blades and helping her to roll over before leaning over her, grabbing her coffee cup and draining it in one long draft.

“You know that I don’t like you very much at this moment?” Chloe inquired.

“Should have brought me one then too”, he smirked.

“You are confusing me with your maid”, Chloe snorted.

“Never”, he assured, with an amused look at her. She was clearly a snuggler by nature; she was already cuddled back up in the duvet. “Especially not in this position”.

“I would have brought you one”, she conceded, getting comfortable, “but I wasn’t going to visit you. Then I was going past your door and ...”

“You thought that you give me the honour of your company?” He asked, leaning on one arm so that he was still higher than her, the duvet falling down to reveal his lean, bare torso. He pretended not to notice when Chloe’s eyes flickered down, just for a second. It was a perfectly natural human reaction after all.

“Exactly”, Chloe tried to cover up her lapse in control and avoid going into any more detail about her unexpected morning visit.

“Chloe”, he fixed her with his ‘I’m going to find out’ look and tone.

“Ah doing the eyebrow thing again. And the stern voice”, Chloe attempted to distract him. It couldn’t work if she knew what he was doing.

“Chloe”, he repeated her name in an even more gravelly tone.

“Yeah”, she swallowed, “that’s the one”.

“Is it going to work?” He inquired leaning in, thinking that it probably would however hard she tried to be strong.

“No”, she pouted.

“I think that it might”, he said even as he abandoned that strategy and lowered himself down to her level and pulled her to him. He pressed his face into the side of her neck. “I know that you don’t like to get up this early so tell me what is going on?” His large hand came up over the side of her face, brushing hair out of her face. “What are you worrying about?”

She took a deep breath.

“Chloe”, he whispered her name gently.

She turned her head to stare at him, gnawing her lower lip for a moment before answering quietly, “You”.

“You don’t need to be”, he promised her, kissing her temple automatically. “Lionel isn’t going to break me”.

“What about grind you down?”

“Not that either”, he smiled. He had never had someone care about him like this before, he would die if he ever lost her.

“Get to you?” Chloe persisted.

“I can’t promise you that”, he answered honestly, “but that’s nothing for you to worry about”.

“But”, she turned over and leant over him, “I do worry about you”. She traced a finger over his smooth cheek and appeared lost in thought before saying, “You would look really weird with wrinkles”.

“Good to know that that is the only thing that you are concerned about”, he grasped her finger and kissed it. He didn’t know why. It just felt right.

“Really, I would still love you but you would look weird”, she informed him, matter-of-factly.

“That’s good to know. Just in case I was considering getting wrinkles. Now I will think better of it”, he sought desperately to appear nonchalant and to play off the huge grin which suffused his features. He had never had such a good friend before.

“Good”, she slipped back into a recumbent position.

“You are sure that nothing else is bothering you? Nothing about your Dad?” He checked.

“No, he is fine and is going home in a few days”, she related the information.

“Work?”

“No, that’s going great too”, she patted his chest.

“Alright then”, he said as he settled for just cuddling her. Still feeling that there was something she wasn’t telling him. Oddly he didn’t mind her popping in on him like this first thing in the morning, getting into his bed and cuddling him although he found it strange, but it still didn’t feel like it was a normal thing for her to do. Was this a normal thing for friends to do? “So, what are we going to discuss next? Politics? Finance? Pollution?”

“How are we going to get Clark and Lana together?”

“I might have guessed!” Lex shook his head.

“I don’t give up that easily”, she reminded him.

“I had noticed”, he resisted the urge to tickle her again. “And I suppose that it would be useless for me to point out the previous failures and their lack of chemistry?”

“Completely and utterly”, she agreed with a smile.

“Then all that remains to be asked is: what are we going to do next?” He inquired.

“Simple”, she turned over to see him more clearly, “Have you noticed that they both get jealous of the other one very easily?”

“Yes”, it was rather hard to miss.

“Well, then I suggest that we play with that”.

“How?” Was she going to stage another elaborate multi-tiered plan?

“Well, I’m hot and you are”, she studied him, “well, I don’t get it personally but some women find you attractive. Apparently”.

“You noticed that, did you?” He jostled her.

“Hmmmm”, she pursed her lips, causing him to smirk. “I suggest that we both do our best to spend time with one of them”, Chloe continued.

“Me and Clark? You and Lana?” He joked.

She shot him a look.“This is no laughing matter”

“Really? Because I’m finding it utterly hilarious”, he tittered.

She rolled her eyes.

“Fine, you and Clark, me and Lana”, he conceded, although privately thinking that she and Lana would be a hell of a lot more interesting to both him and Clark. The farm boy had to have some testosterone. He had enormous feet, after all.

“Yes, so we play on that jealousy”, Chloe continued to strategize.

“And when that doesn’t work?” He felt that he had to point out the most obvious outcome of her meddling.

“Then we give up being altruistic and I’ll snag Clark and you can have Lana”.

“Welcome to the dark side”.

Chapter Thirty

Chloe giggled and snuggled up next to him. Lex thought that this was rather odd behaviour. He knew that she had come to check on him but her insistence on being so close to him made him think that there was something troubling her. Ever since Chloe Sullivan had come back into his life he had been plagued by this annoying need to protect and care for her. The thought that she could be anxious about something gave him an uncomfortable feeling in the pit of his stomach.

He could hardly let her keep being upset and as trying to get it out of her in the normal way had not worked, so he opted to remain silent until she felt ready to confide in him about whatever was on her mind. It went against the grain and required far more self control than he would have thought.

“Lex?” Chloe finally broke the silence.

“Chloe”, he replied placidly.

“Can I ask you a question?” She posed quietly.

He resisted the childish impulse to point out that she just had. “Sure”.

“Why do you want to be with her?”

“Hmmm?” It might have been lack of sleep, or lack of adequate coffee, or the strange position he was in - he was not naturally a cuddler - but that seemed to be completely out of left field to him and not to make much sense.

“Lana”, Chloe clarified in a quiet voice. “Why do you want to be with her?”

He sighed, realising what it might be that had Chloe upset. It was only natural that old insecurities from High School would start to bubble to the surface.

“Don’t deny it. You’ve had a crush on her for ages and I see the way that you look at her and ... I mean I know why all of the boys like her because she is pretty, and smart but not in-your-face about it, and - as much as I hate to admit it - fairly sweet too, and is popular, she was a cheerleader, she was well off ...”

“Those do all sound like good reasons to me”, Lex said, jokingly. Trying to ignore the bruised note in her tone.

“But you are a millionaire”, she continued, resting her head against his chest, hiding her face from him.

“Billionaire”, he corrected her.

“Billionaire”, she amended, “and you have been all over the world.”

“I have”, she agreed, his hand rubbing her back subconsciously.

“You’ve met hundreds of gorgeous model type women”, she continued on with her line of thought.

“Thousands”, he elaborated.

“You’ve had sexual escapes which made it into the tabloids”, she muttered into his chest.

“Some of those were hype”, he stroked her back a bit more.

“The one about the chandelier?” Her head popped up. Her desire for knowledge getting the better of her once more.

“No, that one was real”. It hadn’t been that much fun though and had required a rather astonishing quantity of illegal party drugs.

“You could be with one of the girls on the front of the men’s magazines if you wanted”, she persisted.

“And have been”, he didn’t add several times or in varying combinations.

“So why Lana?”

He winced. “Maybe I just need a girl from Kansas?”

“Lex”, she poked him in the chest, “I’m being serious”.

“I know”. He sighed. “She is like something out of a story book”.

“Out of a storybook?” She sounded distinctly unimpressed.

“Yes, a fairytale. Snow white probably”, he pondered. “Sweet, sensitive, beautiful, a damsel in distress who looks up at you with those big, vulnerable eyes”.

“What’s what guys really want?” Chloe questioned.

Lex smiled and reached up to stroke her hair away from her face, “The smart ones? No. The others? Yes. Most of us are in the latter category”.

“Good to know”, she replied and then paused before asking, “Do you think that you can seduce her. I mean, if it comes to that?”

“Yes”.

“Cocky”, she poked him in the ribs, “Why are you so confident?”

~*~

Six months ago ...

Lex sauntered into The Talon, a folder in his hand. He always made a point of brining in the paperwork for the business when he was in town and it wasn’t for the coffee. Nor for the amusement he still felt when people scuttled out of his way. His eyes locked on the raven haired beauty behind the counter and she smiled at him.

“Good morning Lana”, he greeted her with a suave smile.

“Hello Lex, I didn’t know that you were coming back into town so soon?” She greeted him with a pleasant hostess’ smile.

“You call six months soon? I’m hurt”, he shot her a wounded look.

“Well”, she considered, “for you, recently, yes”.

“You wound me”, his expression belied the sentiment of his words.

“We were beginning to think that it was something that we had done”, Lana continued sunnily.

“We were?” He laid stress on pronoun.

“I was”, she corrected herself moving back over so that she was standing behind the golden coffee maker.

“I’ve just had a lot of work to do. In fact, I was in Paris scrolling along the Champs-Élysées and decided that I missed the fresh Kansas air”, he shot her a winning smile.

“The fresh Kansas air?”

“Well, maybe not the air exactly”, he flirted, mainly because that was what he did with all attractive women.

“Sure”, Lana gave him a knowing look. On anyone else it would have seemed arrogant, rather than charming.

“Or maybe just a good cup of coffee?” He asked.

“Because Paris is completely without coffee”, she didn’t sound entirely convinced.

“Yes, it a crime”, he smirked.

“Yes, lack of caffeinated beverages is what really sits in the mind about Paris”, she teased him.

“That’s right”, he leant in, “you were there, right?”

“Right”, she got an odd expression.

“Do you regret coming back?” He asked after a second.

“No”.

He raised an eyebrow

“Sometimes”, she gave a one shouldered shrug. “This just isn’t how I thought my life would be. Is this how you thought life, would be for you?”

“Pretty much. That is rather pitiful, isn’t it?” He leant in closer to ensure that she was the only one who could hear him.

“No ... Only a little bit”, she smiled, a little sadly. “It was just really really hard”.

“Living in Paris?”

“Yes. Dealing with the language differences. The cultural problems. Getting around the city. Not being able to find my preferred shampoo”, she added that last one with a note of shame. “Now who sounds pathetic?”

“No, you don’t”, he reached out to hold her hand, “honestly. Culture shock is a huge deal. They say that you shouldn’t make a decision about a place until you have been there 18 months”.

“18 months?” She exclaimed, “I barely managed three!”

He shrugged. He had always expected her to have problems, but it didn’t stop it form being a shame. “You were young. Just because you didn’t do it at the time, it doesn’t mean that you never can again. Maybe start out with a quick holiday this time though?”

“That sounds like a good idea”, she smiled, “thanks for the pep talk coach. Now, what can I do for you?”

“Any time. A coffee and this”, he held up the documents.

“That I can do”, she beamed and got to work on the coffee machine. “Black right?”

“Right”.

“Are you sure that I can’t talk you into one of our more adventurous beverages?” Lana prodded, mischievously.

“Dare I ask?”

“Tiramisu latte. Caramel flan latte. Tiramisu cappucino. Caramel Micchiato. Cinamon Dolce Latte”, Lana recited the list from memory.

“Why Miss Lang, do you own shares in a local dentist’s surgery?” He teased her, noticing the way that her eyes sparkled when she was happy.

“No”, she laughed, “just trying to add a little sophistication to the small town”.

“I think that you might be confusing Star Bucks and sophistication”, he suggested.

“Hey you won’t be complaining when I start charging their prices”, Lana grabbed a cup for him and started to fill it.

“More likely you would price yourself right out of the market”. Smallville could hardly support such a business.

“Here”, she handed over his black coffee. “Would you rather that we discussed the paper work upstairs?”

“Sure”. That would be more convenient with fewer distractions ... Or so he had thought. They had barely been inside two minutes when the phone rang and the answering machine picked up to hear a strained message from Clark.

Lex’s eyes fixed on Lana’s exquisite features. Her full lips were tight. “I’m not normally the kind of man who likes to prod or ask questions but ... Do you need to talk?”

Her face only tightened further.

“Or would it have been more polite for me to have pretended that I didn’t hear that? Because I still could”, he offered kindly.

“No, it’s fine”, she smiled, as she fluttered into a settee and crossed her legs towards where he was clearly intended to sit. He complied willingly.

He didn’t have to say anything to prompt her to talk.

“Things between Clark and I just haven’t been right lately”, Lana confided with a heavy sigh.

“Relationships can be hard”, he sympathised, without revealing anything.

“I know. It’s just ... I want someone who will fight for me. Take my hand. Show me the world”. She stared at him with those huge, doe like eyes. It was not exactly subtle. He didn’t know why he didn’t lean over and kiss her. He should have.

~*~

“Interesting”, Chloe murmured.

“Not what you were hoping to hear?”

“I wanted the truth. So I’m happy”, she said evasively.

“But ...” There was always more to it with Chloe.

“I thought that it would take more than a sigh and big eyes to bring down Lex Luthor”, she replied with a shrug.

“Yeah, I suppose that I was quite easy”, he said ruminatively.

“Yeah, you big man slut you”, she taunted him.

He cuddled her with a laugh. “So, what about you?”

“What about me?”

“You and Clark. When did you decide that you just couldn’t live without the big flannel covered farm boy? A man who even the Ivy League couldn’t displace from your throbbing little teenaged heart?”

“Shhhh. Good pillows don’t talk.” She patted him and closed her eyes. Effectively avoiding the issue entirely.

~*~

Lex reclined in a wing backed chair, looking out onto the garden from the morning room, his laptop in his lap. His gaze fixed not on the spread sheet before him but on the goings on on his lawn.

His vivacious blonde was fawning all over Clark. He wasn’t sure what reason she had given for getting him over there, but it had worked. Chloe was flicking her hair, staring up at him from under her long lashes and touching his biceps.

And Clark was standing there as if she were the twelve year old he had first met.

“Did you ever think that he might be gay?” A ruminative voice broke through Lex’s thoughts.

“What?” His head snapped up.

“Don’t say what, say pardon son”, Lionel smiled down at him, “and you were either completely enthralled or you’re getting slow in your old age”.

“I’m just watching out for Chloe”, Lex replied mulishly.

“Sure you were”, Lionel sat down in the arm chair next to him. “So, did you think that he could be gay?”

“No”, Lex answered simply.

“Stupid?” Lionel proposed another theory.

“Oh definitely”.

“It seems to be a contagious problem in this part of Kansas”. Lionel’s observation only succeeded in earning him a disapproving look from his son. It didn’t appear to effect him in the slightest.

Lex shot him a look.

“If it weren’t for my bad back I would be over there”, he indicated in Chloe’s general direction, “what’s your excuse?”

“Dad that’s sick”, Lex cringed and turned his attention back to the couple.

“Only if you tell me that she is going to be my daughter-in-law”, Lionel replied with a wicked grin.

“Dad, it’s not like that”, Lex explained, tension starting to coil within him.

“Then you are as big of an idiot as Clark”, Lionel chuckled, “and I know that you didn’t get that from me”.

“No Dad, the willingness to destroy someone’s life if it suits me. That I got from you”. He answered in a whisper, not taking his eyes of Chloe.

A/N: And here it is. Setting up for the next bit. As always, let me know what you think!

NS Full Member

can't wait to see what happpen next

A/N: And the updating continues.

Chapter Thirty-One

“Lex?”

“Ummm?” He murmured non-committally, the hazes of sleep wrapped around him like a warm comforter.

“Lex”, the soft purr came again, this time accompanied by lips, warm and teasing against his ear.

“Umm”, there was a little more energy behind the syllable this time as two small and feminine hands stroked over his shoulders and down his arms. A pair of lips pressed against his skull, drawing a low groan from him and his eyes fluttered open. Still drowsy he enjoyed the sensations enveloping him. He was surrounded by soft comfort of a female form: soft breasts pressed against his back, her body wrapped around him, and her fingers tangled with his. The odd intimacy of the gesture sent a jolt of electricity through him.

“Lex?” She breathed against the delicate shell of his ear.

“Chloe?” He shook himself, it couldn’t be. He was imagining things. He stretched out, disengaging his fingers from the woman’s, to turn on his lamp. He had spent so many years in a drugged up stupor with females in his bed, in his sleep it hadn’t seemed odd. But it couldn’t ...

Lex turned back around, half lying, half trying to sit up, ending up propped up on his elbows. Hardly the position of authority he had been hoping but better than lying flat on his back, at her mercy.

He opened his mouth to tell whoever it was that he wasn’t in the mood - he couldn’t even remember going back to his old ways, but apparently he had - just as his eyes began to focus. His breath caught in his throat.

A sensual angel sat there, her cotton clad form rising out of the lake of his satin sheets. Her ivory skin shimmering. Her golden hair ablaze.

“Chloe”, he finally chocked out.

He was going insane. It was the soft light which was responsible. He had probably misunderstood what had just happened. He had been half asleep. That was why he hadn’t jumped to attention; Chloe’s presence was always soothing.

“Lex”, she repeated his name once more, this time filled with so much need that his heart lurched.

“What’s wrong?” He demanded, heaving himself onto his knees so that he could embrace her. He pulled her to him allowing all of her weight to rest on him.

“I’m fine”, she whispered, closing her eyes and burrowing her face in his neck.

Lex groaned as she unwittingly nuzzled him. His arms were filled with her nubile warmth and as he tried to sooth her, he felt the thin cotton of her nightdress slipping against warm skin beneath his hands. It was one of the most intimate/arousing experiences of his life.

“I’m fine”, she repeated. It wasn’t any more convincing for the repetition.

“Chloe”, he sighed and smoothed his hands up her back so that one could rub her shoulder and the other could nestle in her hair, forcing her to look at him. “Tell me”, he demanded and tried to concentrate on her words rather than the feel of her. He had known that something wasn’t right that morning.

“I’m scared”, she whispered, shivering. He knew that it was sometimes as difficult for her to admit weakness as it was for him.

“Of what?” He demanded, a little too roughly he supposed, judging by the way that her eyes dipped down and colour touched her cheeks.

“No, not be afraid of ashamed”, he winced, shouldn't have even used that word, “You know that you can tell me anything. Chloe, you know that I will do anything to protect you”. He felt her tense up and began to massage the back of her scalp. “To keep you safe and happy”, he continued and he meant it. She was the most important thing in his life.

“Do you mean it?” She met his gaze once more, her voice tremulous, her eyes sparkling with the threat of tears.

“You know that I do!” He crushed her against him once more. Another jolt passed through him as felt her chest pressing into his, separated only by incredibly thin cotton. His hands grasped her hips and he felt his fingers pressing into the soft skin.

Chloe responded, with equal sincerity and need but less passion. She clung to him, his shoulders, his back, her faced buried against him. He felt the trickle of moisture against his throat. His jaw tightened, the cool liquid branding him with her unhappiness.

“I couldn’t bear it if I lost you”, her voice was muffled against his flesh but he knew what she had said.

“You will never lose me”, he vowed, thickly.

“Promise”, she continued to cling to him.

“I promise”, he said roughly, as he grasped her by the shoulders and forced her away from him just enough to stare into her green eyes when he demanded, “Who or what do you think that is going to take me away from you?”

Her chin trembled. Her eyes blinked convulsively to prevent tears. She swallowed. Then she finally uttered one word: “Lionel”.

“I can deal with Lionel. I already told you that”, he answered abruptly. He could sense her fear, her desperation. She must have been up worrying about this, imagined her lying lonely in her bed, before she had come to him. It must have been serious for her to disturb him like this. It made him angry that things could penetrate these walls and hurt her. It was even worse that they were feelings rather than physical demons he could slay/take an axe to.

“I know”, her reply was quite, nervous, and almost apologetic.

“Tell me what you think is going to happen”, he coached, as he took her head between his hands. “What is it exactly that you think is going to happen? That he is going to kill me? I am his only son. His only heir.”

“Not physically, no”, her lips trembled even as she pronounced the words.

“Oh”, he had a glimmer of comprehension.

“I know what you were like before I came back into your life. You had no friends. No real family. No one. Just scotch. If Lionel starts his games again, if ... if ...” The thought was apparently too terrible for her to articulate for her jaw clamped shut. Tightly. Trying to hold it all in.

“Baby”, the endearment slipped out without him even realising it, “come here”. Once more he took her into his arms. “Calm down. That won’t happen. I promise. I am not going to get involved in another bout of one up-manship with my father. I have far too much to lose now and I don’t just mean the company”, his hands roamed over her back and through her hair, delighting in the different textures.

“For the first time in my life I feel alive. Happy even. I have a back up plan, the money my mother left me. If the worst came to the worst I would give everything up to my Dad and go and live on that. Most people can get by on a billion dollars, right?”

That got the giggle he had been hoping for, even if it was a rather watery one.

“I used to fight for his acceptance. His respect. His love. Because these were things that mattered to me, not because I couldn't survive without the money or the power. Those things, they don’t matter any more”.

He peeled her away from him once more, unwillingly on both parts but he needed to see her face. He needed to be sure that she understood what he was saying. “I won’t do anything that would make you think badly of me. That would take you from me. I won’t get involved with Lionel again”.

Her tear stained face was sad but hopeful. He brushed his thumbs under her puffy eyes and along her pink cheeks. She was the most beautiful creature he had ever seen. He could detect the ‘imperfections’ in her face. Her eyelashes, unadorned with mascara. The faint trace of pores on her nose. The smattering of freckles. Her quivering chin. He wasn’t blind to her flaws, he just loved every single one of hers.

She was lovely. Gorgeous. Perfect.

He felt like a boy in a tale who, trekking through a mystical forest, came across an angel or a fairy princess or ... He didn’t know. But she couldn’t be human. Nothing as simple as a woman could make him feel like this.

He breathed in deeply. The scent of fruity shampoo, Dove soap, vanilla moisturiser and something else that was pure Chloe tantalised him. He was drawn forwards.

“I love you”. The words were an honest, unconsidered expression of his feelings.

Her pouting lips fell apart. She was not trying to seduce him, she was merely dazed. He knew this and yet it didn’t alter the effect. She was magnetic and slowly drawing him in. His eyelids closed and his lips pressed against hers. So soft. So warm. It was like sinking into a warm bath of love. Like nothing he had ever known before.

He tilted his head to the side, and kissed her again. And again. Passion growing with each caress. Her responses changed from innocent to ravenous. He captured her mouth finally, gliding his tongue across her lower lip before sliding it past her perfect white teeth.

It took only a few seconds for his restraint to brake and he hoisted her into his arms fully. Her legs and arms wrapped around him automatically as their tongues danced. She returned his ardour with interest. Chloe’s hips began to grind against his. He groaned and she bit his lower lip.

He squeezed the soft pliant flesh of her hips for a few seconds before the last of his restraint ebbed. He lay her on her back, keeping his body melded to hers as they went. He couldn’t bear to be separated from her for a second. It was only his fear of crushing her that forced him to place his weight on his forearms rather than continuing to embracing her.

For several long moments, he just stared at her. Their breathes mingling as he did so. Her large, beautiful green eyes. Her pouting, pink lips. Her hair was rumpled and sexy. He kissed her again. And again. And once again it turned into an onslaught. He couldn't help himself and apparently Chloe couldn’t either judging by the way that her hands ran all over him. His scalp. His neck. His shoulders. His back. If she went any further he was going to lose his mind.

The idea was extraordinarily appealing. To forget about everything else, give into his most primitive desires and just make love to her until her teeth rattled, but he couldn’t. He removed his lips from her, but hers sought out the smooth skin of his jaw and up to his ear where she began to nibble.

He growled.

She giggled.

“Chloe”, he stroked her cheek, moving her face back to stare at him, “baby. Tell me that you want this”.

He needed to know. Needed to hear it.

“I want you”, she whispered, breathlessly.

He grinned.

“I need you”, she promised him.

His face almost split in two.

She giggled at him, pulling him down those last, vital, few inches until they were kissing once more. For several delicious moments she did her best to devour him, bringing him to the brink of ecstasy until she broke away from him and he felt his heart breaking.

His Adam’s apple was quivering. His chest was on the verge of ripping apart. But he would be a man about it. He wouldn’t break. He began to ease himself off her. He wouldn’t force her or even press her.

“Hey, where do you think that you are going?” Chloe demanded.

“I’m not going to force you”, he promised her.

“Of course you’re not”. She smiled, bringing him back down to her, “I just wanted to tell you something”.

He blinked.

“I think that it is really important that you know before we go any further ...” She started.

“What is it?” He asked, apprehension knotting his guts. She was going to kill him at this rate.

“I love you!”

“What?”

“I think that you mean pardon”, she teased him, kissing him on the nose. “I. Love. You.”

The second time he got it. She loved him! She loved him! She loved him! Her heard the words even through the choir of angels ringing in his ears. That one moment would have made him a believer even if he had been raised as an atheist. Everything that had ever happened in his life was washed away in that second. Everything was perfect.

He kissed her. Again and again. His desperation for her could not be quelled. He needed her more than oxygen. More than life. She was everything.

The feel of her beneath him. Her mouth. Her soft breath. Her even softer sighs in his ears. She was branding him as her own.

Lex was spurred on. His hands developed a life of their own. And schizophrenia. The same digits which were worshipful of her, ripped at her clothes, tearing the cotton and revealing her to his hungry gaze.

“Lex”, she protested out of modesty as she covered her breasts, blushing furiously.

“Don’t”, he took her hands, kissed them then all of the way up her arms. Whispering endearments as he went. “My angel. My Darling. My love”.

He worked his way back up to her blushing face. “You have nothing to be embarrassed about. Absolutely nothing”, he assured her. He placed searing kisses on every available inch of flesh between her jaw to her breasts, warming her up to the idea. He cupped the milky white orbs, eliciting gasps and moans from her.

Lex smirked wickedly and rubbed tight circles around her nipples with his thumbs, causing her to arch her back with a groan of contentment. The delight with which each new exploration was met, egged him on as much as his desire to touch her. He teased her, tasted, tickled, nipped and suckled every inch of her delicious salty flesh until she was writhing and begging beneath him, her hands balled in the duvet covers.

“I love you so much baby”, he purred, “let me please you”.

He took the strangled mewing noises in her throat as acquiescence. He supposed that if he wanted a more precise answer he should have stopped massaging her as he asked, but he didn’t feel like it. “As you wish”, he answered before burying his head between her legs.

The room rang with the sounds of her pleasure, gasps and moans before he was even finished paying dutiful homage to her.

~*~

Lex work up grinning like a fool. Actually, he was giving fools all over the world a bad name. This sheets were tangled around his legs and there was a damp patch but he felt wonderful. He stretched and gave a huge yawn, before looking over at the space next to him on the bed. “Chloe?”

His brown furrowed and he lifted up the silk sheet as if she could be hiding under there. “Chloe, where are you baby? Are you in the bathroom?”

He got up and padded into the en suite. “Baby, are you okay?” He searched around the room but couldn’t find her.

“What on earth is going on here?” He wondered, slipping into his robe before going in search of his beloved. He didn’t have to go far. He was only halfway down the hallway when he discovered her skipping along happily.

“There you are”, he beamed at her and wrapped an around arm her. He was about to lean down for a kiss when she noted cheerfully: “Hey, you’re up late. Are you okay?”

“I’m great”, he purred, “and I think that you know why I am up a little later than normal”.

“I do?” She regarded him innocently.

“I think that you might”, he responded to what he thought was her teasing.

“Oh, because of me visiting you yesterday morning? You think that it screwed up your sleep patterns?” She asked.

“Yesterday morning?” He repeated, a horrible doubt starting to creep into his mind.

“Yes, don’t you remember?”

“Yes, of course”, he shook his head, “I didn’t sleep that well last night. You wouldn’t know anything about that, would you?” There, that was good. If they had slept together, she would just think that he was teasing her.

“No, I sleep like a baby. My new bed is great”.

“Good”. He swallowed. “I should probably go back into my bedroom and get dressed”.

“Alright. I’ll see you later”, she patted his shoulder and continued along her way, Lex’s eyes following her as she went.

“Oh fuck no!”

Members

More soon please.

A/N: Thanks Trinna.

Chapter Thirty-Two

Lex sat in his office where he had been all morning. Locked in with the instructions not to be disturbed for any reason. He was ‘on an important business call’ by which he meant that he was hiding from Chloe. He would have laughed if it weren’t quite so pathetic.
    He didn’t know when this had happened but at some point - since Chloe’s return - he had gone from a hardened business tycoon to someone who not only had a friend but who also stopped work at five o’clock on the dot. Or else. Oh, and apparently allowed himself to be threatened by a tiny blonde imp. And snuggled by the same. He was pussy whipped and he wasn’t even getting any. At this rate he would be thoroughly domesticated by the end of the month. He should be fighting against it tooth and nail and pushing her out of his life as quickly as possible, yet the thought of letting her go as like a knife in the guts.
    He couldn't lose her. It would kill him. She was his friend. But last night he had crossed that line, if only in his imagination. He had told dream Chloe that he loved her and now that the words were out there he couldn’t deny them. He did love her, with all of his heart, and not just as a friend. He wanted to wake up beside her, go to bed with her and spend as many of the moments in between with her as humanly possible.
    God he had it bad.
    The thought of her with another man made him homicidal. Under normal circumstances it would have been a very easy problem to overcome. He would simply have seduced her. Wed her. Bed her. And kept her to himself forever. But then he thought of his mother.
    He stared up at her portrait where it sat above the fireplace in his study. She looked so beautiful there. It had been done just before she had got married to Lionel and it was of a woman that he had never met. The long dark hair, willowy figure and porcelain skin were familiar but there was a sparkle in her eyes, a genuine smile on her lips that he had never witnessed. They had both been crushed long before he had even been born.
    Maybe it would be different with them. Lex tried to reason. He wasn’t his father. He had tried so hard not to be. And Chloe was strong, confident and he loved her. They would be fine. There was no reason why a relationship between them couldn’t work.
    ~*~
    Lex let out a long and gusty sigh as he reached the penthouse. He was greeted as always by his butler and exchanged his briefcase for a scotch and two aspirin. As he was downing the contents with a skill born of long practice the ever-faithful retainer surreptitiously squirted him with Febreeze and reminded him of the gala opening that night.

“Hell, I had forgotten that”, Lex cursed. “Has Mrs Luthor already left?”

“No, Sir. I believe that she is waiting for you in the bedroom”, the butler said, and Lex was sure that he could read censure in the man’s stony expression. He could hardly blame him. Lex went and poured himself another measure of scotch before heading for his chamber.

The more successful he got, the larger the property he brought. His current penthouse was the size of an entire block and had been created just for him. He had never even visited three quarters of it and he found having to walk quite so far between the only three rooms he actually used quite galling but it was a status symbol. He was the most powerful man in the Midwest and he would have the trappings that went with it - even if he didn’t enjoy them.

When he finally reached the bedroom, he pushed the door open to be faced with a soulless sea of white, gold brocade and marble. The cavernous room was decorated with several large pieces of furniture which were oddly spaced out. Neither he nor his wife had been involved in the decorating of the apartment, it hadn’t been home it had just been another Luthorian symbol of power.

Once upon a time his young wife would have been able to fill a room, even as big as with one, with her sunny laughter and blinding smile but now she sat like a statute in a wing-backed leather chair which seemed to swallow her whole.

“Good evening Chloe”, he greeted her politely.

“Alexander”, she replied with similar composure. She had stopped abbreviating his name years ago, around the same time that she had stopped allowing anything but measured English to fall from her lips as part of her transformation into the perfect wife and hostess.

She was exquisitely beautiful. Neither tall nor short, with a bird like figure and appetite to match and skin more delicate than porcelain. She was the darling of the society pages and a role model for all aspiring débutantes. Draped as she always was now in the finest, handmade haute couture, that this woman had once been a slightly chubby teen who was a little insecure of herself was beyond credulity.
    The self-discipline and motivation which had once directed towards achieving her lofty journalistic aspirations, was now dedicated to complete and utter self-control. She never put a foot wrong. Never said a wrong word. Never let an emotion show through.

“You needn’t have waited for me”, he told her as he always did as he made his way over to his dressing table.

“We should always arrive at these events together. It gives the impression of a happy, stable couple and that it what you need to continue to succeed in business, is it not?” She answered formally, rising her to her feet gracefully.

“For as long as I am doing business was oil barons with very strict conservative ideas, yes”, he acknowledged, shrugging himself out of one suit coat and into another. He did not bother to alter his attire much for such occasions any more.

“Then we need to arrive together”, she summed up. He kept his back to her but he could feel her approaching him. A few years ago he would have described her manner as cautious but that was no longer appropriate. She no longer displayed any emotions, certainly not fear or trepidation but there was something about her manner or rather her air which indicated that she would rather not be doing what she was about to.

She moved, noiselessly, towards him until she was standing only a few feet behind him and he felt her spot and stiffen. He knew that there was no trace of lipstick on his collar for her to detect, he wasn’t that much of an amateur. Maybe it was something else. A sensation of dread in the pit of his stomach he turned to look at her and was hit by the inescapable realisation that she knew.

Her expression had not altered. It was as if by marrying him she had inherited the Luthor mask. She was calm and poised but she knew.

For a second he felt a jolt of excitement. This might be it. This might jolt her out of her stony revere. She might fire up. She might be angry. She might slap him. She might still love him. He stared at her, long and hard waiting for something but was only met with silence. He could read nothing into her expression.

Lex could stand it no longer. He brushed passed her and set about altering his tie in the full length mirror a few feet away. He didn’t need the aid of a looking glass to dress himself properly, he had been wearing a silken noose since he was four years old but he couldn’t bear to be faced with her and yet he couldn’t prevent himself from seeking her out in the mirror.

She stood, stock still, her back half turned to him.

He had aired out his clothes on the way home, his man had squirted him with Febreeze and he hadn’t thought that the woman’s scent had been overwhelming but still, women always seemed to turn into bloodhounds when it came to sniffing out infidelity. He looked at her and knew that somehow she could smell it on him.

As if in penance he kept his eyes trained on her. She wasn’t tall. She wasn’t a brunette. But other than that she was the wife that he had always dreamed that he would have. The perfect society wife dedicated solely to him and his business aims. It killed him to look at her.

Lex hadn’t planned on things ending up like this. He had tried to be a good husband to her. Caring. Loving. Attentive. For a year it had worked like a dream. Then he had woken up.

It hadn’t been a sudden jolt. Just one bad decision followed by another one and another one. It had just been business. Nothing more. There had been a toxic leak from one of his father’s old experiments and it had had to be cleaned up. He should have reported it, but the press would have crucified him. People would have swarmed all over his factories putting an end to production if the government hadn’t. He would have survived the loss, in some ways it might actually have been a blessing as the factories were barely breaking even but it would have put at least five thousand people out of work. Since the economic downturn most of those people were the only wage earner in their families. No other sources of employment. Nowhere to go. No one to buy there houses. To close the factories would have been to consign thousands of families to penury. That was to say nothing of the other businesses in the surrounding areas that depended on the income of the workers for their own merger survival. No, Lex could never allow that to happen.

He had hushed it up, bribing and/or threatening everyone who was involved. When he had come home that night he had not wanted to burden his wife with his problems, just sink into her arms and allow her to unknowingly comfort him. That had been the beginning of the slippery slope. It seemed that his father’s legacy was doomed to plague him, every time he silenced one scandal, another one reared its ugly, craggy, smirking head.

Lex had reacted to every single one. With growing forcefulness. He had forged links with the same terrible men his father had used as they were the only ones who could deal with the problems. If he had confided in Chloe then, things would have been different. But he hadn’t. He was too much his father’s son to allow anyone to help him or see that he was struggling. And so it was that he slipped slowly into the darkness.

Soon he had ended up at the head of several cartels, all apparently legitimate having to do with retail not drugs but far from the man he had always hoped to be. When one of his right hand men had betrayed him, he had silenced him without so much as a twinge of conscience. Even then he could have turned back. Had he come clean to his wife then, things would have been different but he hadn’t. He had taken her to bed and fucked her until she saw stars never dreaming that his former colleague had slipped a note to her before his untimely, and extremely bloody, death.

He couldn’t lay all of the blame on the weasel, Chloe being Chloe was sure to have noticed something eventually. For almost a year they had danced around the issue but then she had come across incontrovertible proof against him. The image of her face as she had confronted him was etched into his memory. Tears had streamed down her face and he had tried to comfort her and devise a believable story but she hadn’t brought it. Lying to her had only hurt her worse.

That fateful evening, as he had watched her walking away from him he had made the worst mistake of his life. The one that had sealed his doom.

He knew that he was evil. That he had hurt her and would again. That the right thing to do was to let her go. But he couldn't do it. He never could. Every night he told her that the following morning he would give her her freedom but as the sun rose the next morning, he only held on tighter.

As Chloe’s hand had reached for the door knob he had opened his mouth and he had threatened her. Subtly. But she had got the message. She had stood there, frozen for several long minutes before lowering her hand to her side and turning back around to face him. The tear tracks on her cheeks were still evident. As was the distinctive hue of her cheeks and her trembling chin but all trace of affection and the Chloe he had once known and loved was gone from her eyes.

It was the same way that she now regarded him and everything else in life.

It sickened him. He didn’t even know if he still loved her as she was. Although the memory of her glistened ever more brightly, almost an image to be worship like his mother. He only knew that he could not live without her.

He busied himself with retying his tie even as his eyes remained trained on her in the mirror. She opened her mouth and he raised an eyebrow. “Is there something that I can do for your Chloe?”

“The dark blue tie will go better with what I’m wearing”, she stated simply.

He paused his tying

“If you want to look like my husband, that is”, she continued, coolly.

He deftly unknotted it and then pulled the silk between his fingers slowly as if considering the matter before placing it over his chair and striding over to get a different one. “Does this one meet with your satisfaction?”

Chloe followed him, regarded the proffered garment and then nodded.

Lex continued getting ready and Chloe drifted over to her own full length mirror. He wasn’t sure if she actually wished to check her reflection or if it was just an excuse to shut him out. If it were the latter, it didn’t work. From where he stood he could just make our her expression in the mirror’s reflection.

While she was ostensibly checking her hair, her guard dropped just for a second. The a pang Lex realised that it was the first time that he had seen that in over five years. He longed to see something happy there, or even something angry, what he saw was complete and utter sadness.

Apparently on the verge of tears she touched her hair, and then her nose before allowing her hands to travel down her increasingly slender sides. His heart lurched and he took a step forward, his arms going out to her. She was wondering if she was no longer attractive to him. If he no longer loved her. Why it was that he was having affair after affair. He wished he knew the answer.

Lex stopped himself just before he touched her. He didn’t want to damage her any more.

“We need to get going”.

~*~
    There was a gnawing sense of guilt at the pit of his stomach. He couldn’t be that selfish. He would destroy her little by little. No one in the world could ever deserve her but he wouldn’t allow her to end up with a man who would ruin her life. Her happiness was paramount.
    Lex stared up at the image of his mother and saw, stretching out before him, a life of mystery and loneliness. But it would be worth it if it made Chloe happy. Before he could change his mine, Lex rose to his feet and headed for the door.

Members

I'm so glad this story has continued. Took me a while to see the notices of updates, then I had to re-read from beginning. Rather new at the fanfic sites; wasn't "around" back when the show was actually airing, but this is by far my favorite site! I can't imagine what brings Lex & Chloe to the point where this story starts, but I am riveted to the development of their beautiful friendship & to finding out what will ultimately lead to the devastation they appeared to reach. Poor Lex, realizing he wants Chloe, NOT [#*%!] Lana, but not knowing how to handle that & even feeling like he needs to protect Chloe's from his deeper feelings for her. Please update soon! I know how to follow the notice back to the story now, lol.
    Last edited by zulucnjy; 21st April 2015 at 05:07. Reason: missed the whole last chapter, had to rephrase comment

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information