+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 5 Ways Lex Observed Chloe, and 1 Way She Observed Him (Mild R) 3-26-2010

5 Ways Lex Observed Chloe, and 1 Way She Observed Him (Mild R) 3-26-2010

Title: 5 Ways Lex Observed Chloe, and 1 Way She Observed Him
    Author: sinecure
    Rating: Mild R
    Genre: Drama
    Summary: The mysterious complexities of human nature held more of a pull for Lex Luthor than anything else.
    Disclaimer: I don't own Smallville. If I did, Lana would've been a bit player, and Chloe and Lex would've had sex in every episode.

ONE

The mysterious complexities of human nature held more of a pull for Lex Luthor than anything else. More than the sweeping brush strokes of a painting or the statuesque grace of a piece of art shaped from copper or marble. More than the haunting strains of a composed symphony, or the depths of the most heart-filled poetry about love or war.

He was drawn to it more than any female body.

Human nature.

In his work, he studied it daily. At night, he mapped it out in his labs, hidden behind concrete walls and wires and electronics. The meteor-freaks of Smallville and the world at large held him in their thrall.

Why did they do the things they did? What compelled them?

Observing his fellow humans often left him with more questions than answers, but not this time.

Circling around his desk, he stared unwaveringly at the screen on the wall, watching Chloe Sullivan slip by his guards, leaving with a flash drive full of the petty little things he'd tempted her with.

It was in her nature to seek out the truth, to find answers, same as him, but her form of curiosity took a different avenue than his. No less valid, but certainly more easily manipulated. Letting her get away with what she thought was valuable was in Lex's nature because he wanted to see what she would do with the information.

Information about her.

TWO

Watching Chloe flip the flash drive over and over in her hands on the table in front of her, Lex sat back, tilting his laptop screen for a better viewing angle.

She flipped it again, and he didn't have to wonder what was driving her actions. She was scared and nervous, worried about what she was becoming. It was partly his fault; he'd only allowed her enough information to tease her, to whet her appetite for more.

To make her fear what was happening to her and what her abilities might lead her to do in the future.

Closing his laptop, he watched her toss money onto the table and slip the flash drive into her pocket. Leaving the restaurant at a safe pace behind her, he did what he did best.

He observed her.

She slipped into the darkness of the night, swallowed up by shadows and a crowd of people waiting to get into a club he used to frequent. Chloe went right past it, barely noticing the scantily clad females and the sharply dressed males lining the sidewalk. All her attention seemed to be on the path ahead.

Then she began to run.

He took a minute to return to his car and head along the street she'd disappeared down. He didn't spot her at first, but then he saw her and drew in a sharp breath.

It amazed him, the things humans did. The things Chloe Sullivan did. Putting herself out there in full danger just to stop a mugger. And somehow, she had.

Was her power beginning to manifest?

Watching through the windshield, Lex flipped open his cell phone and dialed 911. It wouldn't do to lose his subject just as she was coming into her own.

THREE

Chloe was clever; he'd give her that. She'd quickly made her way around all of his firewalls, sending his computer experts into a panic. There was a barrage of tech-speak shouted back and forth as they tried to keep up with the one woman in Metropolis they had reason to fear because she could quite easily, with the stroke of a key or two, get them fired.

Or worse.

But she was clueless about the power she held in her fingers beyond her own ends and means. Information; it's what she craved and what he didn't want to her have, not all at once.

He had a need to continue to taunt her, to drag things out as long as he could. It was bone deep and saturated his blood. Letting her have everything she wanted would be unsatisfying for him. He liked observing her. Liked tailing her and studying her responses to every roadblock he put in her way.

Stephens pushed his chair across to the far bank of computers. "She's bypassing the security measures in--"

"Not in my lifetime, she's not," Lester called triumphantly, rapidly tapping on the keyboard before smacking a button with finality.

For a few tense seconds, they all sat and waited.

Then all the screens went black and Lester violently shoved himself back in his chair, rolling a few inches. "Son of a bitch, she's good."

Smirking proudly at Chloe's skills, Lex straightened his tie and headed out of the room. "You're both fired."

FOUR

It was times like these when Lex enjoyed his obsession with human nature more than anything.

Chloe was broken.

It wasn't the first time, nor would it be the last.

Right now, she was on the floor, curled up and crying, and he had the urge to ask her why she put herself out there if it hurt this much. He'd stopped doing so years ago.

The pain he suspected she felt mirrored something in him.

She hadn't been to LuthorCorp in weeks and he'd... missed her. Her apartment didn't feel intimate enough for him. The hallways and rooms in it were alien. He'd only dared to slip in and walk around them once. They weren't alien to the man who'd thrown her across the living room and slammed her against the wall though.

Just another meteor-freak who'd followed her home after her late night activities. Like the ones she'd somehow managed to stop, this one was bent on death and destruction as well.

Lex's men were already there, breaking down the door, and it was interesting to note that the man who'd hurt Chloe thought he was indestructible. So many did. But his strength and speed were no match for the meteor-rock infused tazers and he dropped like a boulder to the floor.

Lex fisted his hands by his sides when he fell too near Chloe.

He'd thought it impossible, but he was beginning to feel things for his favorite subject. That hadn't happened in years. Not since--

Well, she was dead and gone now, years passed, and they'd all moved on.

FIVE

Sitting across from Chloe was a new experience.

He was used to the flatness of a screen between them, monitors and distorted sound.

Fighting crime agreed with her, there was a glow that the monitors couldn't capture, a sheen that gave her the look of a woman in love... happy. That fabled look that poets and songsters tried desperately to capture in verse, but rarely ever did.

Chloe was the embodiment of it.

"Those were your men," she told him, sliding the flash drive across the surface of the table. "You've been having me followed. What I want to know is, how long. Before or after I broke into LuthorCorp and found this?"

"Before," he conceded, playing his fingers over the object she'd spent so much time handling.

It was like she'd given him a part of her, a piece of her being. She'd held it, scoured its contents for hours and hours, even slept with it on the nightstand beside her.

"You've been breaking into my company, Chloe." Lifting the corner of his lips in a small smile, he took her in, seeing the beautiful woman she'd become, thanks, in part, to him.

She smirked, sitting back with a proud shrug. "Had to get your attention somehow."

"And now that you have it?"

The feel and taste of her body was so close he could already savor it, knew it was just a matter of time before he really did. She'd be writhing underneath him before the week was out. Screaming his name as he fucked her so hard that he'd learn the secrets of her soul.

"Well, now, that's the question," she murmured, biting her lip.

Her eyes were bright and shining; tempting him.

SIX

Chloe was curious. It was in her nature and she often found herself studying people as they passed, watching a couple as they talked intimately, or fought quietly in the corner of a restaurant.

She was drawn to people.

To the nature of humans and aliens alike.

In her work as Watchtower, she was able to study it daily. At night, she felt like she had a lab of her own, set up to study the reasoning and explanations for everything she'd ever wondered about.

Staring down at Lex as he slept, she studied the tilt of his lips as he drew in a breath and half turned toward her. Readjusting her head on her hand, she shifted her elbow and leaned closer, observing him.

Why did he do the things he did? What compelled him?

It was in his nature to seek out the truth, to find answers, same as her, but his form of curiosity took a different avenue than hers. No less valid, but certainly more easily manipulated. Letting him think he had the upper hand was in her nature because she wanted to see what he was like when no one else was around.

And, so, nearly every night now, since she'd discovered her new meteor power, she'd turned herself invisible--clothes and all--slipped into whatever room he happened to be in, and watched him.

Observed him.

Soon enough, she'd reveal herself to him. She knew he wanted her. Knew he fantasized about her. Knew he'd jacked off to images of her, taken in her apartment while he fantasized about taking her. There were images of her naked, stripping down for his pleasure, for his eyes. Videos of her masturbating to thoughts of him, thoughts of fucking him and learning his secrets.

For some time now, the observed had been watching the observer.
    Last edited by sinecure; 28th March 2010 at 05:37.

looking for updates Senior Member somethingeasy's Avatar

Re: 5 Ways Lex Observed Chloe, and 1 Way She Observed Him (Mild R) 3-26-2010

This was an amazing fic, Sinecure! I loved every second of it! First if all, I loved the opening sequence describing how Lex’s truthseeking tendencies is not geared towards power, alien knowledge and technological supremacy as much as knowledge (and therefore control) over basic human nature. This actually makes SENSE considering how modern-day DC Lex Luthor is depicted more as an entrepreneur and captain of industry rather than the classic ‘villainous evil scientist’ from the comic books of the 50’s. It makes SENSE that his obsession with knowledge, truth, domination and control is more focused on human nature rather than science, natural elements, alien worlds, etc.

So it was amazing seeing Lex’s focused interests, drive and curiousity explained in context of his overt business dealings and covert lab operations.

And I was beyond delighted to see Lex’s truthseeking obsessions about human nature leading him to focus on Chloe Sullivan above all humans That was so awesome!! Of all the people available in the world, Lex finds himself completely enthralled with this one person, who he simply cannot understand and fathom. In fact, I like the idea that the reason he’s so enthralled and mesmerized with her is because he can’t understand or fathom her actions, or predict her responses… ever!

squeee! I love it!

I loved, LOVED the ‘traps’ that he was carefully weaving around her. Where he ‘allowed’ her to get away from his lab with just enough information to get her hooked onto his sources (and him by proxy), and therefore keep coming back to him for more.

heh… in the beginning I’m sure Lex was aware that he was setting up a trap to try and create a situation where Chloe ended up dependant on him… not realizing that he’s only doing it because he wants her to be as focused and obsessed on him as he is on her. He’s essentially like a little boy pulling the pony-tail of the girl he likes, trying to get her attentions any way possible, look at me, notice me! Oh, Lex, you silly infatuated KID!

ooooh, but the way that he set the trap was definitely very thrilling, awesome and cool creepy! I loved the meticulous attention that he gave to watching her every move and action, guarding exactly how much information was given to her, and then carefully gauging her response; ready to pounce the moment the time was right.

Most of all, I loved, LOVED the way that, early on into the fic, Lex was confined in his own trap, because when Chloe ended up in danger while he was watching her, he couldn’t help but go to her aid, unable to tolerate the idea of [s]her being hurt[/I] losing his test subject.

LOL! Lex falling into a trap of his own making. Colour me completely unsurprised, LOL!

I was ROTFLMAO at the way that Lex’s computer techies were trying to keep Chloe out of their system. I especially loved that the way that it was clear that they knew exactly who was hacking into their systems. That it was a pretty, young college girl, who had absolutely no resources except for whatever she could scrounge up on her own junior reporting salary… and she was completely kicking their techie asses, LOL!

How humiliating it must have been for Stephens and Lester. All the more humiliating because she managed to bypass their security with such galling ease, while their boss was looking on… with an undoubted look of amusement, affection and pride on his face! I’m sure Lex must have told himself that he was probably maintaining a poker-face while Chloe levelled his digital defences, but I’m VERY sure that there was plenty of his real emotions peaking through his mask.

I think I’m really fond of Stephens and Lester, and I’d LOVE to see a ficlet from their point of view Pretty please, Sinecure? Just a short ficlet…?

heee, the fourth section showcasing Lex observing Chloe’s breaking was amazing. I loved the deluded way that Lex tried to tell himself that he was enjoying seeing Chloe huddled on the floor, crying and broken… but it was so obvious that he was sharing in her pain. He wanted to comfort her, and ask her why she persisted in engaging in such activities that resulted in such pain… why she didn’t allow him to (overtly) protect her 24/7 as he was covertly doing.

And most of all, he wanted to ask he why she wasn’t messing with his business anymore. ROTFL! Awww, the poor infatuated little kid is wondering why his girlfriend isn’t chasing him around the playground anymore, screaming obscenities at him. ROTFLMAO!

I loved, LOVED this portrait you created of Lex Luthor, Sinecure! It’s so much damned FUN to see him acting like a obsessed, creepy stalker… yet also an adoring, lonely little boy underneath that.

The fifth section, finally showing the two of them together was awesome! I could see that Lex was practically vibrating with the thrill of finally being face to face with his beloved obsession his subject. And perhaps it was just my Chlexy goggles, but I could also sense some amount of anxiety, trepidation and nervousness to Lex, something akin to what a young pre-teen would feel once he got out on his first date with the girl of his dreams. He was damned nervous and desperate to Make. This. Work!!!

But, perhaps that’s just my Chlexy tendencies colouring everything a certain way…?

The feel and taste of her body was so close he could already savor it, knew it was just a matter of time before he really did. She'd be writhing underneath him before the week was out. Screaming his name as he fucked her so hard that he learn the secrets of her soul.
    heh… but I’m making fun of Lex comparing him to a pre-teen on his first date. He was most definitely revealed to be a sexy, lustful MAN with his smutty fantasies about Chloe… as well as his sense of assurance that he will now FINALLY have her the way that he’s been fantasizing for all this time.

I loved how even his smutty fantasies were wrapped around his truthseeking obsession to discover about Chloe basic human nature; what made her tick, what makes her cry, scream, laugh, sigh… and love. He wanted to know everything about Chloe Sullivan, and he was hoping that connecting with her on such an intimate level would reveal a little more about her, so satisfy his visceral needs. I loved that!!

The sixth section was the BEST one!!! It contained a completely unexpected twist that took my by shock as well as by hilarious delight! So all this time, Lex as been assured that he’s been spying unencumbered and unnoticed by Chloe, when it face it was completely the opposite? ROTFLMAO! I loved that!!!

It was beyond amazing seeing the final section of this fic as a mirror of the first section, revealing how very similar Chloe’s own obsessions have been to Lex, and how she has always been so much better at satisfying her obsessions as compared to his amateurish attempts, LOL!

The funniest thing is that I’m pretty sure that Lex wouldn’t be able to help himself from feeling pride and amusement at being completely outclassed by Chloe, even at his own game. He’s love her all the more for it, just like he loves her for outstripping the performance of his employees, hired goons and spies at every given turn.

Thank you so much for this GREAT fic this morning, Sinecure. It was a lovely way to start the day. I look forward to more of your writing… coming up soon…?

Spunky Chick Senior Member hfce's Avatar

Wow that was twisted but good. They crack me up because they each think they have one up on one another. In reality they are on the same plane.
    "Everyone seems normal until you get to know them. "

An Accused Heretic Senior Member Kit Merlot's Avatar

This may sound strange, but I kind of enjoy seeing Lex in creepy-stalker mode but I think I really love that Chloe turned the tables on him and that he doesn't even know it--good for her
    KATHY

"Don't quote me to me!" Detective Danny "Danno" WIlliams, Hawaii Five-0, episode 1.8 Mana'o

"This could barely fill up Thumbelina!" SALIGIA by westwingwolf

My Fanfic Master List

My livejournal: An Accused Heretic

NS Senior Member Senior Member

I like that this story gets right to the nature of Lex and Chloe. Awesome that she turned the tables around on him!

Members

Amazing fic. Very interesting.

NS Junior Member

Has to be one of my favorites! Fantastic story!

walking with cavemen Senior Member Zannie's Avatar

I just clicked on this thread because it had such an odd name for a short story - but I'm really glad I did. This is great! I love the quick cuts and the bare-bones narrative of this, and it's a fantastic look into Lex's obsessive mind.

And this . . .

Quote Originally Posted by sinecure View Post
    Screaming his name as he fucked her so hard that he'd learn the secrets of her soul.
    . . . is a brilliant line. It really captures Lex's perspective completely (and viscerally) in just a few words.

Thanks for posting this!

NS Senior Member Senior Member Ami Rose's Avatar

Wow
    *Coffee Break 9:00 to 5:00 Daily.
    *Heaven doesn't want me and hell is afraid I'll take over.
    *Are you crazy?
    *From zero to insane in 1.5 seconds!
    *If I agree with you, then we'd both be wrong!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information