+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Life's Lessons Learned (R) 2-06-10

Life's Lessons Learned (R) 2-06-10

Title: Life's Lessons Learned
    Author: sinecure
    Character/Pairing: Chloe/Lex
    Rating: R
    Genre: Drama
    Summary: It takes a few years, but Chloe learns to be who she is.
    Disclaimer: I don't own Smallville. If I did, Lana would've been a bit player, and Chloe and Lex would've had sex in every episode.
    Thanks: to momdaegmorgan for the beta. I asked for a prompt to challenge me to write in this tense, which I really don't like. She gave me Stairway to Heaven and this fic formed.

Need. It's a word Chloe's familiar with. All her life, she's been riddled with it in one way or another. For truth, for Clark, for doing what's right... until she discovers that what's right doesn't always mean what's best.

That year, her world is turned upside down and her life becomes forfeit.

Lex saves her, and life goes on, but she's lost her innocence.

She discovers that evil comes in more packages than billionaires who murder their parents. It also masquerades as a friend and then forgets you when your usefulness ends. Forgetting Lex is as easy as pouring her feelings back into the boy she's loved since coming to Smallville.

Clark saves her, and life goes on, but she's lost her hope.

Wrapped up in soap opera style romances and keeping Clark's secret, Chloe finds that work is more than merely dialing the phone and filing folders. Keeping Lex from finding out what she knows is exhausting and she considers running for the first time in her life. It worked for Pete.

Lionel saves her, and life goes on, but she's lost her will.

Friends, old and new, flit in and out of her life, and she discovers she's a freak, one of the very people she's been fighting for years now. Insanity holds little worry for her now due to this newest wrinkle in her life.

She saves Lois, and life goes on, but she's lost her drive.

Lana's absence in Lex's life makes him darker, more determined to do what's wrong. And Chloe's more determined to stop him. Two men in her life lose the one woman they both love, and neither realizes she's lost Lana as well; her best friend, her confidant, the person she's come to think of as a sister.

Lex doesn't care. Clark drags himself around like a moping catastrophe on wings, devouring all that's evil and chewing it up and spitting it out in his own image; his own morals.

Chloe goes along for the ride for a time, wanting what he gives her in spirit and hugs, but they're empty and desolate. She comes to realize that Clark is moving past her, climbing the stone stairs to another level of becoming who he's meant to be.

She breaks into LuthorCorp more times than is safe and barely makes it out again without being caught. Disks full of plans and locations make it into her hands and her head, if not her hard drive. She's never given enough to time.

Lex knows it's her; he sends minions her way and steals back the information before she can use it against him.

She's beginning to like the game.

She discovers that he's building an army of men and women, pumped full of Kryptonite. They're sent out to small countries to train while Clark is kept busy with freaks of all kinds, human and not, meteor-infected and not. Some try to kill him, others try to kill his support group. The ones that try to take over the world are becoming more and more common.

Lex's information in her head, swallowed up by whatever ability she has now, tells her what he's doing. That he's trying to save the planet from the same people Clark is fighting, but he's going about it the wrong way.

Her sense of right and wrong are still straight and narrow, but she's beginning to understand Lex more than Clark.

How can a man with so much darkness see the dangers better than the man whose job it's becoming to fight it back? Because he's a part of that darkness.

She cuts corners and takes routes she never would've considered just a few years ago.

Life goes on.

Lex comes to her one night, instead of sending one of his minions. She thinks it's because he knows how she's beginning to see the world. His smile is tight, his eyes dark, and his fingers slide into her without much fanfare. As he fucks her, she thinks it's something that would've happened years ago if he hadn't been so blinded by Clark and Lana.

She doesn't care about him or the fairytale life he paints as his cock slides into her. Life without danger doesn't exist, even in her world, and he can't make it happen no matter how hard he tries.

Clark and Lois peel off into a single, justice-seeking clump of hormones and sweat equity, neither one noticing that she's absent more than she's there. Lex's shaping of the world is more acceptable and attainable than their perfect vision of truth and justice and the American Way.

His cock is more real than their words, spread in ink on a few papers across the city.

When she grows to need Lex, her life becomes a strange, winding road of paths she's never intended to take.

She saves Lex, and life goes on, but she's a little less clear on what's wrong and what's not. It doesn't matter, because she's found her purpose in the world and it doesn't include Superman, just the gray areas in between perfect and acceptable. Clark never learned that, but Lex is a good teacher.

Re: Life's Lessons Learned (R) 2-06-10

I have to say, if this is the sort of story you come up with when frustrated about your writing, I almost want to keep you in a constant state of anger. *ducks* Kidding! Kidding!

Seriously though, I know you hate persent tense but this is gorgeous. I love the imagery, the rhythm, the everything. The emotional impact in it, the way Chloe eventually comes to the conclusion that maybe what she always believed in (Clark) wasn't as right as she always thought, that maybe what she always thought was wrong (Lex) wasn't quite so wrong after all, that the grey area is the better place to be, is just...wow.

I'd make a request for more fics in this fashion but I have a feeling you might hurt me.

Spunky Chick Senior Member hfce's Avatar

This story is all kinds of gray. What I got from it is Chloe see Lex is way is not that bad. She tried it Clark's way and it seems Lex way is the right fit. This was a good fic.
    "Everyone seems normal until you get to know them. "

looking for updates Senior Member somethingeasy's Avatar

This was a fantastic ficlet, Sinecure. It was an emotional rollercoaster compacted together into a brief punch of a story. Wow! I really enjoyed seeing Chloe slow evolution down the years, showing how her basic needs and desires were growing, changing, evolving from one form to another. And change itself felt completely natural and inevitable… so the end felt like the most obvious foregone conclusion. Perfect!

I liked the way that Chloe’s growth covered how heavily her life has been influenced by mostly by powerful, needy men who kept making demands on her. First Lionel’s demands that she acquiesce to his wishes… and then Lex’s softer demands that she trust in him completely to save her… and Clark’s demands that she acquiesce completely to him and his needs for a sidekick.

I found it interesting seeing how every person exhausted Chloe and sucked her dry… all the while not even noticing her needs. It was actually heart wrenching seeing Chloe constantly giving and giving bits and pieces of herself all the time… and not getting even a smidgeon of the support, comfort, solace and simple affection that she needed in return.

I loved the sick, twisted turn that Chloe’s needs took eventually. Since she wasn’t able to get attention in the form of comfort, affection from Clark, Lois, Lana and all of her ‘friends’… she turned to craving a different and darker kind of attention from her enemy. I loved the irony of that! In fact, she started craving the darkness so much that she actually found herself preferring it to the ‘light’ that is represented by Clark.

I wonder what Lex needed and craved when he came to Chloe…?

Anyhow... this was a great fic. Filled with very deep, twisted characterizations and character-growth. I loved how the ending was unclear on whether this Chlex relationship was healthy or not. It was only clear that the relationship was something intense and compelling, which is probably enough to make Chloe and Lex happy actually.

Thanks for the great fic. Feel free to write some more!

NS Senior Member Senior Member

I loved the way Chloe's experiences have shaped her thinking. I think this is so in keeping with Lex and Chloe understanding the darkness; Lex using it to control, Chloe using it to fight against the bigger evils. Whereas Clark and Lois rail against it and refuse to admit that it is a part of everyone's lives and you can't stop force it out completely. I love people who admit the world is shades of grey and work within that world. Awesome character description of Chloe and I like where her life is heading.

Members

Great fic!

Woahhhh, I really don't know what to say other than: Damnnnnnnnnn!

-emms14

Wow!

I love how Clark slowly became the bad guy in Chloe's eyes, or at least not the saintly figure he used to portray. Lovely story.

NS Senior Member Senior Member Ami Rose's Avatar

Wow very interesting
    *Coffee Break 9:00 to 5:00 Daily.
    *Heaven doesn't want me and hell is afraid I'll take over.
    *Are you crazy?
    *From zero to insane in 1.5 seconds!
    *If I agree with you, then we'd both be wrong!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information