+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bewitched, Bothered, and Bewildered, PG (Cy's Chlex Request fic)

Bewitched, Bothered, and Bewildered, PG (Cy's Chlex Request fic)

Summary: Does anything in Lex's life ever go completely as planned?
    Disclaimer: Smallville stole my soul from Doctor Who. Unfortunately, it didn't come with any rights of ownership.
    Author’s Note: Because I was evil enough to request a shag or die fic on the Chlex By Request thread, Cy decided to come up with an appropriate retaliation and requested this one. I think I have been well and truly punished now.

Author's Note, the second: Everyone shall bow before Cy and thank her for fixing all my grammar errors and all that jazz. In other words, she beta'd (yes, her own request fic *gasps at the horror!*).

@~~~

"So will you help me?"

"Whatever you need, Chloe, the full extent of my resources will be at your disposal."

Famous last words? More like exceedingly shortsighted and foolish ones.

Leave it to Chloe to come up with something so mind-blowingly ludicrous it can only be described as inane. And yet, somehow, still manage to wrap it up in a perfectly reasonable and convincing package.

Leave it to Lex to be beguiled into helping her.

@~~~

It's the little things, the minor irritations of her elaborate scheme that begin to endear her to him. The meticulous planning and enthusiastic execution of every last detail. The unwarranted phone calls and visits at all hours of the day to discuss strategy with all due seriousness.

She treats it like it's a business venture, not some sophomoric attempt to attract the attention of a nameless, faceless boy who can't see what's staring him right in the face.

Corporate takeovers were never this much work.

"Don't forget to have them sent--"

"At precisely two o'clock," he interrupts her, eyes skimming the pad of legal paper he's taken to having always at the ready, "At the Daily Planet. A dozen long-stemmed red roses, in a crystal vase, with a smattering of Baby's Breath. Really, Chloe, can you possibly be more clichéd?"

The barb doesn't quite hit the mark. Either that, or she's so high on infatuation (at least it isn't Clark this time), that she lets it roll right off her. "Oh, and make sure they address it from 'your secret admirer'."

This arrangement is only getting more preposterous as time wears on.

"I thought I was supposed to be your boyfriend. Not some hormone riddled science nerd making trite proclamations of love with daddy's credit card."

He can hear her muffled shriek of frustration on the other end of the line; the one that she tries, and fails, to suppress. A reaction that more than makes up for his previous failure in provoking her.

"You're very infuriating, you know that?"

"What else would you expect when dealing with a Luthor?"

"A little cooperation would be nice. It might make this, you know, simpler."

And that's the kicker, isn't it? Because even doing a seemingly innocent favor for a friend ends up more complicated than it has any right to be.

"I can assure you, Chloe, nothing in my life is ever simple."

@~~~

Eventually he has to admit, if not out loud, then at least to himself, that she's growing on him. That all her planning and scheming has succeeded in one respect, even if it's not the result she was aiming for.

Even if the attention she's attracted isn't exactly from the suitor she was hoping for.

"Remember, we're in love, not about to get married. You do know the difference, right?"

Her good-natured teasing is very nearly lost on him, but he fights the haze of unease that's been plaguing him since this whole thing started and manages to smile appropriately before arousing her suspicions. "I'm pretty sure I'll be able to act the part to your specifications."

Except that, is it really an act when his feelings for her are changing? Into what, he's not entirely sure yet, but it's a marked difference from the cautious regard he's held her in since the day they first met.

"Okay then, ready to bring me to the ball, Prince Charming?"

"Well, when you put it that way..." Their arms link together in a way that he tries to convince himself doesn't remind him of the flawless melding of instruments in a concerto, a pièce de résistance.

They enter the Talon like that; side-by-side, her leg brushing against his with every step, the warmth of her body dispersing the very last of his resolve.

Lately, it's getting harder and harder to maintain that pretense.

@~~~

Everything feels different tonight. She feels different.

Instead of her typical vivacious temperament, she's quiet and contemplative, almost subdued. After six weeks of her constantly effervescent personality, it's disconcerting to say the least.

Especially when, despite all of his attempts, he can't quite figure her out.

If there's one thing Lex has always prided himself on, it's his ability to read people, to know what they're thinking, what their deepest desires are, even if they haven't a clue themselves. It's what has made him the business man he is today.

And it's never failed him before, not until now.

"Are you alright?"

"Yeah. Yeah, I'm just a little tired is all." And she looks it, but for some indefinable reason he knows she isn't being completely honest.

"Chloe?"

The sound of shushing behind them brings a twinkle to her eyes, a bit of the spark he's so used to seeing. "Careful, Lex, I think you're making the natives restless."

He lets it drop. Because she isn't going to give him a straight answer. Because the movie is about to begin, and as overly sentimental as it might be, he happens to actually like Gone with the Wind.

When this whole thing first started, the romantic overtures felt foreign, almost alien to him. Holding hands and sappy love letters were never his style, mutual betrayals and botched murder attempts were. But somewhere between then and now things changed, and sprawled out on a blanket in an open field watching a movie on a large sheet, with dozens of other young lovers surrounding them, it no longer feels artificial.

It feels more natural than it has any right to be.

@~~~

It's the kiss that's the coup de grâce.

It's also the first time they've really touched each other since this whole debacle began.

Standing outside the Daily Planet, work week drones milling past, Lex wonders where he is. Where this unknown rival might be hidden, with front row seats to whatever contrivance Chloe has in mind this time.

Then none of it really matters because she's taking his face between her palms and kissing him.

He knows it should be awkward--her pining for someone else, him pining for her--but it's not. There's no fumbling, no uncertainties; just him and her and their lips pressed together in a kiss. It's her hands settling on his chest and his griping her arms, holding her in place. It's tentative, but not timid. And it feels so right.

Maybe sometimes his life can be simple after all.

When they finally pull away, breathless from intensity, she's smiling up at him and something in her eyes--something devious and oh so Chloe--gives him pause. And suddenly, it's all so very clear.

"There isn't really someone else, Chloe, is there?"

"No, there isn't." Surprisingly, she doesn't look the least bit guilty, but then again, she's always taken what she wanted from him without remorse.

"So this was just a ruse to get me to fall for you?"

"Not exactly." He'd be angry but for the lilt to her voice--two parts teasing, one part something else entirely. "There was someone. And I did want to make him jealous but..."

"But what?"

She doesn't answer at first. Just smiles up at him in that way that reaches her eyes and lights up her face. It's the first thing he ever noticed about her, the one thing that has always stuck with him, and all of a sudden he's taking a stroll down memory lane, remembering all the times he's experienced that smile before. All the times (as few and far between as they may be) that she sent one of them careening in his direction.
    It leaves him feeling a little lightheaded.

Then she's leaning towards him, standing on tiptoes to brush her lips against his ear, whispering on a breath,

"I found a better offer."
    Last edited by momdaegmorgan; 6th February 2010 at 07:00.

Happy-ending addict Senior Member lexie's Avatar

Re: Bewitched, Bothered, and Bewildered, PG (Cy's Chlex Request fic)

And you said you could no longer write fluffy. This was a sweet little piece. I loved scheming Chloe, making Lex fall into his own trap. Found a better offer? I bet.
    Last edited by lexie; 6th February 2010 at 08:18.
    Thxs to beeej for the avi

A MASTER LIST OF ALL MY COMPLETED WORKS & WIPs w/PDFs

"PERMANENT" WIPs (UNLESS MY CHLEX MUSE AWAKENS AGAIN AND I GET A LONG-NEEDED CLONE OF MYSELF)

"Choices"May 30 '11

"At Second Sight" August 21 '11

PODFIC REQUESTS

INTERVIEW

VIDEOS

Spunky Chick Senior Member hfce's Avatar

Oh my God that was cute! It took me a second to figure out she was going after him. I am glad I was right.
    "Everyone seems normal until you get to know them. "

looking for updates Senior Member somethingeasy's Avatar

I didn’t think it was possible, but you made the old cliché of a ‘fake romance’ sparkle and snap with originality, morgan. It was a fantastic read, and I loved every second of it. LOL! Best of all, it was exactly the kind of ‘fluff’ that I enjoy reading… something sweet and heartwarming, but with just enough suffering in it to make it interesting, LOL!

Leave it to Chloe to come up with something so mind-blowingly ludicrous it can only be described as inane. And yet, somehow, still manage to wrap it up in a perfectly reasonable and convincing package.

Leave it to Lex to be beguiled into helping her.
    ROTFLMAO! I loved the opening lines hinting at something dark and serious… with Lex pledging his loyalty to Chloe… only to have it turn out that she has plans to use her amazing Luthor resources in the most inane plan possible… and Lex went along with it, despite it’s ridiculousness.

ROTFL! Only Chloe could have convinced Lex to go along with something so ridiculous and frivolous… and that should have been his first clue on the inevitable turn this plan was going to take later, LOL!

This arrangement is only getting more preposterous as time wears on.

"I thought I was supposed to be your boyfriend. Not some hormone riddled science nerd making trite proclamations of love with daddy's credit card."

He can hear her muffled shriek of frustration on the other end of the line; the one that she tries, and fails, to suppress. A reaction that more than makes up for his previous failure in provoking her.
    ROTFL! I truly find it amazing that neither Chloe nor Lex, both such brilliant people with amazing insights into human nature, could not see how this whole scheme was actually going to turn out… with the two of them hopelessly in love with each other. Perhaps it’s only obvious from the outside perspective…?

I loved the way that Lex is obvious having so much fun with this scheme. Yes, it’s a ridiculous waste of time, but I think it satisfies his inner child who never got enough (worthwhile) playmates or games while growing up… and it also satisfies the grown Luthor’s love for sneaky, manipulative games…. AND it certainly doesn’t hurt that his playmate happens to be bright, vivacious, fascinating and so much damned FUN to be around!

All in all, I was delighted to see Lex’s seldom seen playful nature come out in full force. LOL! Look at him fine-tuning all the little details in this performance… just like any kid playing imaginative costumed games, LOL!

Even if the attention she's attracted isn't exactly from the suitor she was hoping for.
    LOL! I loved the ironic sense of despair Lex puts into this observation of his. Squeee! I loved, LOVED this line! It shows how effectively well Chloe’s plan is turning out… and also how it’s going all tremendously awry at the same time.

Except that, is it really an act when his feelings for her are changing? Into what, he's not entirely sure yet, but it's a marked difference from the cautious regard he's held her in since the day they first met.
    This was fantastic! I loved seeing how Lex’s attitude towards this performance has changed from a gleeful sense of playfulness to something bewildered and a little fearful. It’s delightful fun seeing Lex’s feelings slowly change as realization of the danger he’s in begins to dawn.

Everything feels different tonight. She feels different.

Instead of her typical vivacious temperament, she's quiet and contemplative, almost subdued. After six weeks of her constantly effervescent personality, it's disconcerting to say the least.

Especially when, despite all of his attempts, he can't quite figure her out.
    heee! I can see it’s been bugging the HELL out of Lex to suddenly not be able to understand or read Chloe. Especially since I’m sure that, these past few weeks, Lex has become extremely sensitive to all of Chloe’s moods… almost like a weathervane waving around and adjusting his own behavior according to Chloe moods. That’s what Lex does when he falls in love… he becomes obsessed about that person’s happiness and well-being above all things… and works like a mad-thing making sure that all in perfect in the world for that one person.

When this whole thing first started, the romantic overtures felt foreign, almost alien to him. Holding hands and sappy love letters were never his style, mutual betrayals and botched murder attempts were. But somewhere between then and now things changed, and sprawled out on a blanket in an open field watching a movie on a large sheet, with dozens of other young lovers surrounding them, it no longer feels artificial.

It feels more natural than it has any right to be.
    LOL! I can see that Lex is suffering because he’s now fully admitted that he wants Chloe in his life in something more real than just a pretend romance. I can sense that he was actually horribly embarrassed about how much he enjoyed all those stupid, clichéd, sappy romantic gestures. It was all supposed to be an act that he went along with only because it amused him… he is far too sophisticated, cynical, realistic and world-weary to fall for such cheap clichés… except that he did end up falling for them, ROTFLMAO! I was in hysterics over Lex’s humiliation… and delighted to see that his embarrassment didn’t prevent him from taking pleasure in these clichés regardless.

He knows it should be awkward--her pining for someone else, him pining for her--but it's not. There's no fumbling, no uncertainties; just him and her and their lips pressed together in a kiss. It's her hands settling on his chest and his griping her arms, holding her in place. It's tentative, but not timid. And it feels so right.

Maybe sometimes his life can be simple after all.

When they finally pull away, breathless from intensity, she's smiling up at him and something in her eyes--something devious and oh so Chloe--gives him pause. And suddenly, it's all so very clear.

"There isn't really someone else, Chloe, is there?"
    squeee! Oh that was perfection!! I loved the idea that it was their first kiss that drove home the truth of the relationship to both Chloe and Lex… well, to Lex at least. I’m not sure exactly how long Chloe has known that this ‘fake romance’ was headed to this inevitable end.

LOL! I loved Lex’s matter-of-fact tone as he told Chloe that he knew that she had tricked him… without being the slightest bit angry about being played. And Chloe is not the least bit repentant about playing him in this manner. LOL!

"I found a better offer."
    Oh, OH!! That was beautiful, perfect and all things wonderful! I can’t imagine a better line to have ended this ficlet on!! I liked the idea that this ‘fake romance taking a turn for real’ was as much a surprise for Chloe as it was for Lex. While it would have been fun knowing that Chloe had played Lex from the beginning… there’s something even more delicious about knowing that both of them traveled on this journey of bewilderment and self-discovery together.

Thank you so much for the delightful fic, Morgan. I loved it… and I can’t wait to see what plans you have for the next ficlet (or epic… however it turns out)

Dealing w/ a Ship Change Senior Member

So cute with just enough turmoil. Loved it!

An Accused Heretic Senior Member Kit Merlot's Avatar

This was adorable and very sweet!

Good for Chloe for going after the man she wants

Great work.
    Last edited by Kit Merlot; 6th February 2010 at 16:17.
    KATHY

"Don't quote me to me!" Detective Danny "Danno" WIlliams, Hawaii Five-0, episode 1.8 Mana'o

"This could barely fill up Thumbelina!" SALIGIA by westwingwolf

My Fanfic Master List

My livejournal: An Accused Heretic

That was so cute and fun! I love that Chloe tricked Lex, who is usually the master trickster himself. I'm sure he will forgive her quite easily, of course. They are just so adorable!!

You don't think you can write fluff, momdaegmorgan? Well, I'm here to tell you that you most certainly can

You know my aversion to present tense fics, but of course I read this. Seeing it completed, I really do like it. It's cute and fun. Completely in character. Grr. I envy you.

Members

This was so cute.

NS Senior Member Senior Member

I love that Chloe manipulated Lex into helping with her manipulations and got what she wanted out of it that which Lex also wanted. Especially, because Lex probably figured he could manipulate the situation to get Chloe to fall for him instead of getting this other guy. Point being, there was a whole lot of manipulating going on and I loved it all!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information