Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Life Unplanned (PG-13) 11/17/09

NS Full Member

Life Unplanned (PG-13) 11/17/09

Life Unplanned

Author: Cy Panache
    Rating: PG-13
    Category: Dark/Angst
    Timeline: This is set in the alternate timeline set up by Season Five's "Reckoning" where Lana did die. Just assume Clark didn't or couldn't reset time and we go from there.
    Disclaimer: Someone else's sandbox. I just play here because other people have all the best toys.

Author's Note: *Looks around wonderingly* So this is the board . . . Okay, so many reasons why I shouldn't be doing this (namely two unfinished stories), but equally as many reasons why I should. I'd been trying to get myself back into the groove of writing, and I got a little inspired by the November challenge, but the whole thing melded with other ideas I had been kicking around for awhile and got away from me (as is typical), and I went wildly off theme and over word limit. So we are posting it here. So as I said, trying to get back into the groove, think I accomplished it, but any interest is always appreciated and would help my momentum immensely.

- + - + - + - + -

She's had her life planned for as long as she can remember, and if she had to guess, she would bet Lex has, too. They're strangely similar that way. The planners whose plans never quite work out.

This certainly wasn't anywhere in the cards.

But then neither was he.

God, he so wasn't in the cards.

As crazy as it sounds, she'd just never thought of him that way. Which she realizes puts her in a class of about one. But its true. Lex had always been the dark shadow to Clark Kent's sunlight. You don't see a shadow when you're busy staring at the sun.

But you don't expect to wake up one day and find the sun gone either.

She'd made the mistake of thinking of Clark as forever, confusing his physical invulnerability for a permanency she realizes in retrospect he had never shown. Now she gets it, understands that she was hero-worshipping a fantasy, that between the two of them Clark was never the brave one, never the strong one. That for all the fantastic things he did, he couldn't figure out how to survive the everyday, the simple terror of human existence.

Which is why two months after Lana's death in a car crash on the side of a darkened road, she's standing here amidst stained glass and mahogany, rather than rough-hewn planks and open sky.

Because when Clark ran away from the pain, it was like they'd lost their gravitational pull, the thing keeping them in orbit—separate, parallel—and in his absence they were free to go off course, to crash into each other with a fierceness she doesn't think either of them could have predicted.

---

She doesn't look up when he comes to stand beside her at the graveside, doesn't need to. Clark left days ago without so much as a note on her pillow, and even if he hadn't, well she only knows one person who would ruin italian leather shoes in four inches of snow.

She blames him for Lana's death because Clark does, because he cried in her arms and screamed Lex's name like a curse. There are a million things she wants to say to him, to scream at him. But standing here staring at Lana's name etched in stone, none of them come.

So they don't say anything, just stand there in silent vigil. Waiting for God knows what.

It's only when she's gotten tired of waiting, has started the slow trudge to her car, that Lex finally breaks the silence.

"Can he fly?"

The question stops her cold. "Don't you ever stop?"

Apparently, he doesn't. "I've seen most of it first hand, worked out some of the rest . . . the speed, the strength, the invulnerability, but the flying, that's the one I just can't decide."

Whirling around, she hisses, "What is wrong with you?! Lana's dead. Isn't that enough? Just let it go."

"I can't."

"Why?" She's unbearably tired all of the sudden. “How could it possibly matter now?”

"It matters
    because Lana is dead. Because she died protecting this great and terrible secret that nobody will talk about but we all know is there.” He hasn’t looked at her, his entire being focused on the headstone, but suddenly he looks up, and she sees it, the gaping hole in his implacable façade. “So tell me, was it worth it? Did the world make a good deal?"

Chloe doesn't have an answer for him, not anymore. And God knows he’s the last person entitled to one, but his eyes are a raw unbandaged wound and she’s lost her taste for salt.

So she gives him the one answer she does have.

“No one can fly, Lex.”

It's the last time they ever talk about Clark.

---

He’s looking up at her expectantly, has been for God knows how long. He must know she’s here for a reason, the air is charged with it, electric with expectation. But he sits waiting, letting her come to the words in her own time.

She wishes they wouldn’t have to come at all.

But they do come, like a burst of gun fire, abrupt and unwanted and life-altering.

“I’m pregnant.”

Lex sets down his pen.

---

She comes to drop off Lana's things only to find Lex already there, sitting awkwardly at the kitchen table as Nell sobs over a cup of coffee. They both stay longer than they meant to, and when he slides into the passenger seat of her car, she doesn't say anything.

Chloe doesn't want to drive back to Smallville alone either.

He doesn’t invite her in, but somehow she winds up standing in the middle of the library all the same. And when he goes to pour himself a drink, she’s not surprised when he returns with one for her, too.

She’s even less surprised when two drinks and thirty minutes later he’s pressing her into the leather cushions of the couch with his body.

It’s been that kind of week.

When its over, they don’t say anything because there’s nothing to be said. Neither has any illusions about what this was, and more so exactly what it wasn’t. Chloe simply rebuttons her shirt with matter-a-fact efficiency. Lex goes to get another drink. For once, she gets to be the one who leaves without a goodbye.

The action would be more satisfying if she’d left someone who cares.

---

Chloe thought she’d prepared herself for every possible reaction. Denials of paternity; demands she terminate the pregnancy; legal settlements and hush money; even some ridiculously chilvaric, but ultimately empty offer of marriage, she’s given careful consideration to them all, decided exactly how she’d react.

But she never prepared for Lex coming around from behind his desk to place a gentle hand on the curve of her stomach with something close to awe in his eyes.

Two months she’s been waiting to find the good in Lana’s death, in Clark’s exit, to discover the meaning behind a tragedy that is ultimately meaningless.

This can’t be it. It just can’t be.

It can’t be them.

---

He’s taken to haunting the Talon like a ghost. Until Lois is making threats under her breath to turn him into a real one, and even Mrs. Kent’s ever-present patience seems worn to the breaking point. And she tells herself it doesn’t matter. Tells herself she only cares because she wants to enjoy her coffee in peace. Tells herself she’s intercepted him in the back hallway because she just doesn’t want her cousin fired, because Martha Kent shouldn’t have to keep looking at the man responsible for the death of her would-be daughter-in-law.

The moment she gets him out into the alley Chloe forgets all of that, and gives him a hard shove. “What the hell is your problem?! You don’t get to do this!”

“Don’t get to enjoy the fruits of my investment?”

“You don’t get to keep vigil. She’s not yours to mourn. She was never yours, and you don’t get her now.”

“But you get Clark? Last time I checked he wasn’t even dead.”

The words land like a stinging slap and she turns away in an effort to hide the pain. “I’m not doing this with you.”

“Of course you are. Or do you get to keep vigil?”

She whirls around without thinking. “They’re my friends!”

The moment the words are out of her mouth she realizes her mistake, the tacit admission that yes she’s mourning Clark as much as Lana, that she’s just a guilty of clinging to fantasy as him, of taking comfort in the artificial closeness grief affords her. Its all there, writ large across his face, the triumphant expression that can’t quite mask that flicker of something close to regret at his inability to claim the same.

Suddenly it’s all too much. She’s tired of doing this alone, of being the only one left behind. Tired of walking on eggshells around Lana’s memory and pretending its not about Clark. She’s just so damn tired.

To her horror she can feel weeks of unshed tears threatening to overwhelm her, and she has to do something because she can’t cry in front of Lex, she just can’t.

And then Lex does the worst thing possible . . . he stops fighting. "Chloe-"

Her mouth crashes against his, cutting off his words before she knows what she’s doing. She doesn't know what he's about to say, but she can't hear it. Won't let him take this, him, away from her. She needs it too much, needs to fight with him and yell at him and blame him. The only way for her to be Chloe again, even for a moment, is for him to be Lex, and Lex Luthor does not apologize.

But he does fuck.

There’s nothing gentle about it. It’s raw and clumsy, teeth and tongues and fingernails digging into flesh. But its something, something different to feel other than grief. And it doesn’t even matter that she knows he’s not seeing her when he closes his eyes.

She’s not seeing him either.

---

When did it stop being about Clark and Lana?

The question tumbles over and over in her head, but she can’t find the answer. Until now, she wasn’t aware that it had. They have been defined by their lack of definition. Their couplings more random chance than need, more need than affection. She can’t even remember the day she moved into the mansion, just that one day she stopped leaving.

And still there is nothing remotely domestic about them. They sleep in separate rooms, plan days without consulting each other, eat meals together by coincidence. They’re each other’s halfway house, the temporary stopover before they rejoin the real world.

So why does his hand over their child feel permanent?

Unconsciously she lets herself lean against him, drops her forehead to his shoulder and sighs an admission, “It wasn’t supposed to be you.”

Without missing a beat, he whispers back, “I know," then adds, "But I can be a better father.”

What else can she ask for? After all it wasn’t supposed to be her either.

---

Because they’re still them there’s no celebratory dinner, no dreamy discussions of futures and first Christmases. Lex has merger negotiations in Shanghai. She has a deadline. Their sole concession to this polar shift is the note to the staff to order decaf coffee, the scheduling of a pre-natal visit, and Lex’s repeat of his earlier promise when, for the first time, he calls to say goodbye.

She doesn’t think about it much after she hangs up, has almost put it entirely from her mind by the time she gets home. But that evening when she goes up to her room she finds something waiting for her on her bed.

It’s a medical file. Lex’s medical file. She reaches for it with a vague foreboding that coalesces into horror as she reads the highlighted passage.

“Patient sterile. Suspected complication of meteor rock infection.”

And suddenly Lex’s words earlier today make an awful kind of sense. She’d thought he was talking about his father or himself, promising not to repeat the shortcomings of his own upbringing, to improve upon his own nature for the sake of their child.

But he wasn't.

Because it’s not their child at all.

It’s hers.

And Clark’s.

Clark who came to her in the wake of Lana’s death looking for solace, who cried in her arms, and took comfort in her body all the while cursing Lex’s name.

Clark who she’d sworn in her heart to protect until her dying breath.

Clark who left with the dawn and never looked back.

She had never even stopped to consider the possibility, just assumed . . .

But Lex knew, had known since the moment she uttered the words that it wasn’t his child and by default whose it was. Knew exactly who he was promising to be better than. Was that the reason for his reaction? Not wonder at what they had created but at the prospect of watching Clark’s child first hand?

Everything she thought she knew, every realization of this day, it’s all gone, shattered, leaving her sick in a way that has nothing to do with her condition.

She has to get out of here.

Panicky and shaking she hauls out two duffels and starts emptying drawers into them. There’s no thought to the process, just a frantic daze of movement, as she tries to get away from this place as fast as possible.

It’s only when she gets down to grab her shoes from underneath the bed that she sees it. There on a single slip of paper that must have fluttered to the floor when she picked up the medical file.

Baby names.

In Lex’s handwriting.

The sight stops her cold. Numbly she picks up the piece of paper, and sits down on the floor to read.

There are some she expected—Julian, Lillian, Lana—and some she didn’t—Edward, for her grandfather, Jonathan, for the baby’s, and Duncan for reasons she can’t fathom.

She sits there for a long time, doesn’t sleep, doesn’t pack, just sits. There’ll be time to run if she wants it. She gets that now.

So she sits and thinks about Clark, about his powers and his secret and his burden. Thinks about what he’d do if he knew he had a son, about what a good father he could be if he were here.

And she thinks about Lex, thinks about the his hand on her stomach, thinks about everything she wasn’t saying when she told him it wasn’t supposed to be him, thinks about his insistence on knowing whether Clark can fly and his promise to be the better father, about this little list of potential names, none of which are right.

When dawn comes, Chloe’s made her decision, and for the first time since Lana died, she starts to do what she does best . . .

She makes plans.

- + - + - + - + - + -
    Last edited by cypanache; 17th November 2009 at 17:34.

Re: Life Unplanned (PG-13) 11/17/09

wow. this is great!

Happy-ending addict Senior Member lexie's Avatar

Great comeback, Cy. I truly enjoyed it and the twist at the end was really wicked.
    Thxs to beeej for the avi

A MASTER LIST OF ALL MY COMPLETED WORKS & WIPs w/PDFs

"PERMANENT" WIPs (UNLESS MY CHLEX MUSE AWAKENS AGAIN AND I GET A LONG-NEEDED CLONE OF MYSELF)

"Choices"May 30 '11

"At Second Sight" August 21 '11

PODFIC REQUESTS

INTERVIEW

VIDEOS

An Accused Heretic Senior Member Kit Merlot's Avatar

This was just lovely!

I like that you have Chloe not sugar-coating Lex's motives about being a good father to the Chlark baby--excellent work
    KATHY

"Don't quote me to me!" Detective Danny "Danno" WIlliams, Hawaii Five-0, episode 1.8 Mana'o

"This could barely fill up Thumbelina!" SALIGIA by westwingwolf

My Fanfic Master List

My livejournal: An Accused Heretic

NS Senior Member Senior Member

So many questions for what happens next. So many different ways this could go. If Lex had wanted to be the father of the baby just to get a first hand look at the powers, he wouldn't have left that medical file for Chloe to know he wasn't the father. He was giving her a choice, allowing her to decide if she wanted to stay and laying it all out in the open so they were on equal ground knowing the paternity. While I don't doubt that a part of Lex would get joy out of knowing he was raising Clark's child and sticking it to him in that way; I also think this could be something he really wants in a kind of 'normal, this could be my only chance' way.

Unless of course, he wanted her to think he was being honorable so she'd let her guard down and agree to him raising the child with her, and then have free reign to explore the kid's powers. Really, with Lex's manipulativeness it could go either way.

I'm eager to know what Chloe plans to do.

I love the honesty in this fic, these two do not love each other. They just sort of need each other right now. That doesn't mean I won't spend the entire time hoping they could love each other, I am a romantic Chlex fan after all, but I fully accept that this is who they are and is honest to the characters.

And I preparing myself for more angst.
    Last edited by westwingwolf; 18th November 2009 at 01:26.

Julie's Soul Sister

That.. cannot be it!

There is a second piece coming soon, right? lol

It was dark, yet so realistic. I can see Lex being that cold and yet wanting to be a father, even if it isn't his. We all know that beign a father has been something important for Lex on the show. As for Chloe, I can see that under the pressure of losing Lana AND mainly Clark, she could get colder than she ever was. And with Lex, it's hard to get back to be 'happy-go-lucky' as she once used to be.

Hence why I want to know what are her plans

Nice short!

Members

hi
    jus want to say great job i loved it

looking for updates Senior Member somethingeasy's Avatar

Oh NO, Cy! You just have to torture me with yet another one of your fics that I want more of?! Why do you do these things to me?!? Ahem… onto the review…

The planners whose plans never quite work out.
    I loved this line! I thought it was a perfect way to sum up both Chloe’s and Lex’s personalities, destinies and lives… as well as draw up a connection between the two of them, first thing into the fic Brilliant!

As crazy as it sounds, she'd just never thought of him that way. Which she realizes puts her in a class of about one. But its true. Lex had always been the dark shadow to Clark Kent's sunlight. You don't see a shadow when you're busy staring at the sun.

wow! That was heartbreaking and beautiful both at the same time. It was really tragic seeing Chloe’s self-admitted worship for Clark laid bare for our inspection, knowing that it’s based on unreciprocated love. It was also heartbreaking getting a glimpse about how lost, alone and cold Chloe feels now that her ‘sun’ is gone.

VERY nicely summed up, Cy! You did the perfect job in setting up Chloe as alone, vulnerable, grief-stricken and lost at the very beginning of the fic… so the readers know exactly what kind of mind-set she was in when she turned to Lex for a twisted kind of solace.

She doesn't look up when he comes to stand beside her at the graveside, doesn't need to. Clark left days ago without so much as a note on her pillow, and even if he hadn't, well she only knows one person who would ruin italian leather shoes in four inches of snow.
    heh… I liked the way that you suggested the idea of Clark and Chloe being temporary lovers from here, Cy! The ‘note on the pillow’ could have been a metaphorical reference, but it could also have been meant that Clark literally left Chloe, without word or warning, after spending the night sleeping with her.

I also thought it was perfect and fitting that Lex and Chloe reacquainted themselves with each other, and started off this twisted new ‘thing’ between them at a graveyard. I think it’s a very suitable setting for the beginning of this Chlex relationship… something that was born of death, grief, loneliness and perhaps also rage about being abandoned?

Chloe doesn't have an answer for him, not anymore. And God knows he’s the last person entitled to one, but his eyes are a raw unbandaged wound and she’s lost her taste for salt.

So she gives him the one answer she does have.

“No one can fly, Lex.”

It's the last time they ever talk about Clark.
    oooh, very, VERY nice! I loved the idea that Lex and Chloe reached some kind of unspoken truce on this day about Clark and his secrets. Chloe answered Lex’s one question sincerely and truthfully, and Lex accepted it as closure. In many ways this really WAS the perfect beginning to their relationship… where it’s all about Clark, but at the same time, has nothing to do with him. What a delightful paradox!

But they do come, like a burst of gun fire, abrupt and unwanted and life-altering.

“I’m pregnant.”

Lex sets down his pen.
    *blinks in shock* Holy… *^£^$

I really don’t know whether I’m ecstatic about this, or really, really frightened!

She’s even less surprised when two drinks and thirty minutes later he’s pressing her into the leather cushions of the couch with his body.
    ooooh, HOT!

When its over, they don’t say anything because there’s nothing to be said. Neither has any illusions about what this was, and more so exactly what it wasn’t. Chloe simply rebuttons her shirt with matter-a-fact efficiency. Lex goes to get another drink. For once, she gets to be the one who leaves without a goodbye.

The action would be more satisfying if she’d left someone who cares.
    ouch! Did I say hot? I meant to say fricken, freezing cold! I guess the graveyard really was the best place to start a ‘cold comfort’ type of relationship like this one.

But I still have hopes that it will grow into something warmer… in time… after an appropriate amount of angst and suffering of course.

Chloe thought she’d prepared herself for every possible reaction. Denials of paternity; demands she terminate the pregnancy; legal settlements and hush money; even some ridiculously chilvaric, but ultimately empty offer of marriage, she’s given careful consideration to them all, decided exactly how she’d react.

But she never prepared for Lex coming around from behind his desk to place a gentle hand on the curve of her stomach with something close to awe in his eyes.
    squeee! And here we have the suggestion of the upcoming warmth that I was hoping for… unless, it’s actually obsessive, scientific fascination that’s posing as awed warmth of course *shudder* Considering that it’s Lex we’re talking about over here, it can be both at the same time. Ain’t Luthors’ paradoxical personality patterns fun?

“Of course you are. Or do you get to keep vigil?”

She whirls around without thinking. “They’re my friends!”

The moment the words are out of her mouth she realizes her mistake, the tacit admission that yes she’s mourning Clark as much as Lana, that she’s just a guilty of clinging to fantasy as him, of taking comfort in the artificial closeness grief affords her. Its all there, writ large across his face, the triumphant expression that can’t quite mask that flicker of something close to regret at his inability to claim the same.
    wow! This was amazingly written intense Chlex conversation. I loved the way that the two of them went straight for the verbal jugular, searching for a weak spot and honing in on it with expert ease. Amazing! I also loved the idea that although Lex managed to find Chloe sore, vulnerable spot, he hurt himself as much as he hurt her with his jibe comment. I think that kind of verbal sparring fits in perfectly with Lex’s self-destructive tendencies… where he tends to inflict as much damage on himself as he does on his opponents with his words and actions.

AND, I also loved the idea that a great part of Lex was envious and grief-stricken over the fact that he couldn’t claim Lana and Clark as his friends… not anymore at least. It’s always amazing seeing Lex exposing his deepest regrets… especially to Chloe.

And then Lex does the worst thing possible . . . he stops fighting. "Chloe-"

Her mouth crashes against his, cutting off his words before she knows what she’s doing. She doesn't know what he's about to say, but she can't hear it. Won't let him take this, him, away from her. She needs it too much, needs to fight with him and yell at him and blame him. The only way for her to be Chloe again, even for a moment, is for him to be Lex, and Lex Luthor does not apologize.

But he does fuck.
    I loved the idea that Chloe needed Lex to remain her enemy in order to cope with her losses. She’s been set lost and adrift with everything that was stable in her life stripped away from her, so it makes sense that she would cling to Lex as an enemy, even when there’s no real cause for enmity between them anymore.

Heh… I loved the irony that Lex was willing to let go of the grudge and hostility between the two of them, but Chloe was the one who pushed him into continuing the hostilities. I wonder whether Lex simply realized the futility of the enmity, and decided to try and move forward… OR whether he just realized that Chloe would be much more desirable as an ally and companion rather than an antagonist…?

Or perhaps it was just his typical, chivalry coming through. He’s always been a sucker for female tears, and falls apart trying to provide comfort to any lady to start weeping in his presence, LOL!

There’s nothing gentle about it. It’s raw and clumsy, teeth and tongues and fingernails digging into flesh. But its something, something different to feel other than grief. And it doesn’t even matter that she knows he’s not seeing her when he closes his eyes.

She’s not seeing him either.
    wow! This leaves me both hot and cold at the same time. I don’t know how you managed to create smut like this, Cy, but it’s amazing to read! I loved how the sex was raw, intense and so powerful in it’s intimacy… but also how the two of them managed to maintain the distance during this kind of intense sex.

Heh… that kind of distance is not going to last for very long though. Chloe is quite honestly incapable of emotionally distancing herself from anything (much less sexual relations), and even Lex is far too desperate for emotional connections to allow the sex to remain meaningless for too long.

And let’s not forget that this is the Chlex we’re talking about… and we all know that this is an irresistible match that cannot be denied

When did it stop being about Clark and Lana?

The question tumbles over and over in her head, but she can’t find the answer. Until now, she wasn’t aware that it had. They have been defined by their lack of definition. Their couplings more random chance than need, more need than affection. She can’t even remember the day she moved into the mansion, just that one day she stopped leaving.
    LOL! Ah-HAH! I knew the distance wouldn’t be maintained for too long. I imagine that it was only a couple of months of ‘meaningless fucking’ later that they both started becoming co-dependants.

Without missing a beat, he whispers back, “I know," then adds, "But I can be a better father.”

What else can she ask for? After all it wasn’t supposed to be her either.
    squeee! I loved how the ambiguity of this statement set up the plot for the perfect twist that came later! Masterfully done, Cy!

It’s a medical file. Lex’s medical file. She reaches for it with a vague foreboding that coalesces into horror as she reads the highlighted passage.

“Patient sterile. Suspected complication of meteor rock infection.”

And suddenly Lex’s words earlier today make an awful kind of sense. She’d thought he was talking about his father or himself, promising not to repeat the shortcomings of his own upbringing, to improve upon his own nature for the sake of their child.

But he wasn't.

Because it’s not their child at all.
    omigosh! This was mindblowing for a whole variety of reasons!! First of all, the revelation that it was Clark’s kid rather than Lex’s seriously twisted my brain. And then I realized that it was a HUGE deal for Lex to have laid the file down on Chloe’s bed with the relevant sections highlighted for her easy reading!!

Lex could have kept the true paternity of the child a secret from Chloe right up till the day of the birth, and she would never have suspected otherwise. Instead, he lets her know the truth… AND he lets her know the truth in a very unobtrusive and even gentle manner, where he just allows her to read, deduct and react at her own comfortable pace.

Clark who came to her in the wake of Lana’s death looking for solace, who cried in her arms, and took comfort in her body all the while cursing Lex’s name.

Clark who she’d sworn in her heart to protect until her dying breath.

Clark who left with the dawn and never looked back.
    That bastard! If you ever choose to continue this fic, Cy, I really hope you devise some kind of suitable punishment for Clark for this kind of behaviour. Yes, I know he was grieving and all, but this was his best friend that he bedded and abandoned, the self-centered bastard jerk!

Panicky and shaking she hauls out two duffels and starts emptying drawers into them. There’s no thought to the process, just a frantic daze of movement, as she tries to get away from this place as fast as possible.
    This is the point where I fully acknowledged my appreciative awe at the gutsy move that Lex had made when he deposited that file on Chloe’s bed. He undoubtedly knew that this would be the most likely reaction, and yet he still decided to let Chloe in on the truth, and make her own decisions without hovering over her trying to convince her otherwise.

In Lex’s handwriting.

The sight stops her cold. Numbly she picks up the piece of paper, and sits down on the floor to read.

There are some she expected—Julian, Lillian, Lana—and some she didn’t—Edward, for her grandfather, Jonathan, for the baby’s, and Duncan for reasons she can’t fathom.
    This was a brilliant way to change the tone of Chloe’s mind-set, Cy! It was subtle, but so powerful! It was a fantastic way to show that Lex is not actually interested in the Chlark baby as a scientific experiment, but that he genuinely wants the child to love, adore and raise as a his son. Of course… considering that this is Lex we’re talking about, he’s probably going to adore his beloved son as his obsessive science experiment

BUT, I will say that the list of baby names is a great indication that, although Lex might not be able to resist running the occasional test on the kid, he’s ALSO going dedicate his life to protecting the child and raising it as safe from harm as Luthorly possible… which is pretty substantial.

And she thinks about Lex, thinks about the his hand on her stomach, thinks about everything she wasn’t saying when she told him it wasn’t supposed to be him, thinks about his insistence on knowing whether Clark can fly and his promise to be the better father, about this little list of potential names, none of which are right.

When dawn comes, Chloe’s made her decision, and for the first time since Lana died, she starts to do what she does best . . .

She makes plans.
    aaargh!!! Oh, Cy! I didn’t know whether to cheer enthusiastically or cry out in despair at your ending. I both love and hate how open-ended it is, because I desperately want to know the exact nature and eventual execution of Chloe’s plans… but I also like the idea of the plans being left open to my imagination.

Actually… I really want to know what are Chloe’s thoughts and plans at this point. Oh please continue this fic. I desperately want to know what happens next!

NS Senior Member Senior Member autumngold's Avatar

Exclamation Re: Life Unplanned (PG-13) 11/17/09

Fabulous story! I love that Lex, even though he might have sinister reasons, is willing to be the baby's father. Something that Clark, because he runs away whenever things get rough, would never really be able to do. I just hope that Chloe's plans include Lex. They are so good for each other! Thank you for this story!

walking with cavemen Senior Member Zannie's Avatar

Ooh, very nice! As always, the Chlex interaction in your story is excellent - really sharp and believable. I totally wasn't expecting that twist in the end. What a convoluted and heartbreaking situation they've gotten themselves into.

And I just love this bit here . . .

Quote Originally Posted by cypanache View Post
    Lex had always been the dark shadow to Clark Kent's sunlight. You don't see a shadow when you're busy staring at the sun.

Is the story really over? It could certainly work as ending there, but think about all the potential you have for more!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information