+ Reply to Thread

Thread: The Balance, R, October 4, 2009

Na-No-Wri-Mo-ing!

The Balance, R, October 4, 2009

Spoilers: Spoilers for the early years of SV's treatment of Lex's family life.

Disclaimer: I make no money, infringe on no one, and claim only to entertain.

This is an ADULT story, there will not be anything resembling happiness, nor will there be closure. There is graphic depiction of childbirth and death. You have been warned.

Chloe swallowed back a scream as the burning spread seemingly up through her spine. She pushed, hard, not caring anymore how exposed she was. There was movement, progress. Her hand found its way off the bed and she forced it to keep moving until it lay trembling on her thigh.

Something brushed her knuckles. Not her own body. Part of the baby - she was too afraid to look in the mirror the midwife had put down - was sticking out of her. The stretch was unbearable, and she could feel Lex urging her on.

His hand neared her back, seeking connection to this birth he'd lowered them both to creating. She didn't have the energy to push him away. The midwife was there to do it for her, but Chloe shook her head. "No, it's his baby, too. He should see. Can I - have water?"

The midwife turned away, and Lex met Chloe's eyes. He was wide-eyed, but his mouth had a soft quiver. He was grateful; he thought this was forgiveness. She smiled as the burn intensified again. Soon she would be empty of him. Chloe dropped her head to push, her shoulders hunching. The midwife turned back to check on her, but didn't interfere. "Water," Chloe whined. "Please!"

She let out a formless grunt of effort, but the head was out. Her hand drifted along the damp, fine hair. She couldn't see it, but it could be blond or red. Maybe it was brown, confounding Lex entirely with any random Clark Kent similarities. Her fingers walked the baby's cheek, finding the face she'd known was growing inside her for months. Even soft and fleshy, it had the lean feel of Lex's. She heard him fall to his knees next to the bed - looking in wonder no doubt - at his child. She ignored the urge to push and leaned on one elbow.

"Give me your hand," she gasped. " I don't want to drop him."

Lex cupped the back of her head. "Him? It's a boy," he asked tenderly. "You knew all this time?”

She figured out she hated Lex for more than his shoddy condom handling long before she realized why she'd dumped him and fled. She wasn't atoning for her own lapse, was not even atoning for one of Lex's.

Chloe's hand pulled on his wrist, brought his stiffened fingers between her legs. She held herself up on her knees so he could get the full effect; milk-strained breasts, bulged belly visibly jerking in motions she didn't let carry down to send the shoulders out, shadowed mound where he'd spent only a short time to such detriment. And when he got the whole view of her maternal splendor, a tiny, massive head protruding in bloody primacy. His son being born, since there was no one else left to claim him.

Lex stumbled toward her. He leaned his chest on the mattress and followed her hand to stroke the baby's head. She could feel the vibration of him shaking, but he was terribly gentle. "Julian Alexander," she whispered joyfully, feeling the connection for one long moment in time she gave to memorialize how wrong it had all gone.

But the contractions were harder than ever, and she was tired. Her hand pressed Lex's to the baby and she felt it push the shoulders back up a little. Her sharp cry made the midwife jump for a monitor of some sort, and Chloe acted while no one but she and Lex were watching. Julian's little eyes were glued shut. She fixed her mouth into a toothy grin, braced her knees, and twisted Lex's wrist hard. He reacted by flinching, and the tiny neck just nudging out of her cunt snapped.

"NO! NO LEX! OH GOD, what did you do!"

She reeled to her back, literally kicking and screaming as the midwife climbed up to hold her still. The contractions came hard and Chloe pushed. The little corpse flopped on her leg and she shook it off as she continued fleeing from Lex. In the end it had been so easy. Lex hadn't made a sound, but he was still there, a howling silence.

The midwife was pushing on her chest, making Chloe stay where she was. Everything below her shoulders felt ragged, so Chloe stayed. She screamed out a few more accusations, just to make sure her hysteria was recorded for posterity.

Her womb was still working to drive out his pollution, and Chloe tried to keep pushing. She felt thick fluid and a strange jiggling sensation sliding down. Afterbirth, her mind provided. You're still attached. You have to make sure the bleeding stops or you'll die, too. She watched as the midwife cupped her hands under the baby, holding his face up to the light. She fussed frantically, but the little head lolled sickeningly. Newborns were sometimes a little blue in the face, but this one was grey mottled. He was broken.

Chloe was surprised to feel a tug as the baby was moved. She hadn't known the connection was actual, physical. The cord probably would have allowed her to understand the panic and bursting brightness the baby felt.

An idle curiousity struck her, and she reached down. The weeping midwife gathered the baby up and handed him along. When he was resting on her stomach, Chloe couldn't help but remember all the times he had been inside and shifting around like an alien experiment. Lex should have known better. You couldn't undo past tragedies, least of all with the kind of obscenity he had done to her. He had wanted his brother back, and she had given him precisely what he asked for. His months of pleading for the pregnancy to continue would reward him with a horror so large it blotted out the real Julian's memory.

"Nuoh!" Lex yanked him from Chloe's hands, and he moved back too quickly for the midwife to touch him.

The cord was long but it pulled taut and ripped at Chloe's insides. She rolled to her side and pressed her legs together. The idiot midwife was fighting her to open them again, calling her name and yelling for anyone in the hospital. There was serious bleeding, and the pain that had faded with triumph was doubled. She was hurt, Lex had hurt her, but he was feeling more than she was. She didn't think he'd ever recover. It was better than any juvenile revenge she could enact.

Chloe slapped the midwife off and crammed her hands to stop the blood. It was hot and plentiful. She wondered if this was her poetic death coming to take her away. Her face turned to look at Lex's stunned profile. He was standing beside her bed, where he had coached her through labour. His hands were filled with fat, greasy looking rolls of greying flesh. Julian would have been a plump baby if he had lived. She was glad not to have to try to breast feed that.

The umbilical cord dangled over the bed and hung on his wrist, but Lex was barely aware of anything. He stared at the baby with sunken eyes. His face was damp, but she couldn't tell if it was sweat or tears. His mouth was hanging open and making a low, choked groan. It was as if he was stuck on the beginning of a scream and couldn't find even that relief.

Chloe opened her eyes and felt time had slipped by her. She wasn't entirely unhappy about that. She didn't hurt anymore, and her hand slid over her much flatter belly. She was rid of both of them. Now was the time to solidify her plan. Very litle was left, and then she could sleep away the torn up echo of a stranger's child feeding off her body. She turned and licked her lips, seeing a nurse's scrubs by her bed. "He-he killed my baby," she sobbed. "Oh, Julian!"
    Her soul is senstive like a finely made tuning fork. It vibrates and resonates with every little hint of trauma, evil and monstrosity that might be humming in the air, and channels it into expressions of fiction... or recomended websites - somethingeasy

Fishin' for brains Senior Member Avalanche's Avatar
    In the best state in this here Union, which is of course, Texas

Re: The Balance, R, October 4, 2009

Wow, ok, you were not kidding! This is some pretty potent brew, kitten.

Quote Originally Posted by kitten
    The midwife turned away, and Lex met Chloe's eyes. He was wide-eyed, but his mouth had a soft quiver. He was grateful; he thought this was forgiveness. She smiled as the burn intensified again. Soon she would be empty of him. Chloe dropped her head to push, her shoulders hunching. The midwife turned back to check on her, but didn't interfere. "Water," Chloe whined. "Please!"
    This was my favorite part because you so clearly show Lex's hope; but in the next breath you show that Chloe is calculating some kind of revenge. You show that there is something deep and ugly in what should be a wonderful thing. I also like that this illustrates that Chloe feels a very real violation and that this is not a gift. It isn't simply a mother wanting the ordeal over. It reads like a victim about to be done with the ordeal and exact some kind of punishment. Then, of course, you follow through on this implication.

In short, bravo! The tension and general foreboding slowly escalates and coalesces into Chloe's endgame and Lex's breaking. I enjoyed this!
    Fanfiction Master List

“I have the simplest tastes. I am always satisfied with the best.”
    Oscar Wilde

My milkshake bringeth all ye gentlefolk to the yard, and they're like it's better than thine, verily its better than thine, I could teach you but I must levy a fee...

"I'm selfish, impatient, and a little insecure. I make mistakes. I am out of control; and, at times, hard to handle. But if you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best.
    Marilyn Monroe

An Accused Heretic Senior Member Kit Merlot's Avatar

This was a very dark and disturbing story.

I think I'm still in shock at the lengths Chloe would go to in order to get revenge on Lex. Excellent work on a very powerful story.
    KATHY

"Don't quote me to me!" Detective Danny "Danno" WIlliams, Hawaii Five-0, episode 1.8 Mana'o

"This could barely fill up Thumbelina!" SALIGIA by westwingwolf

My Fanfic Master List

My livejournal: An Accused Heretic

Spunky Chick Senior Member hfce's Avatar

Wow Uhm that was dark and scary.
    "Everyone seems normal until you get to know them. "

NS Full Member

Wow....just wow... dark, intense and very good.

looking for updates Senior Member somethingeasy's Avatar

I'm so glad that you posted this ficlet on the forum for everyone's reading pleasure, Kitten Granted, several people have probably been traumatized, but I'd ALSO like to believe that several people have been brought over to appreciate the lure of 'the dark side'.

I've already sent Kitten a review as a PM... which I unfortunately didn't save onto my hard-drive. So, Kitten, will you settle for a quick 'I LOVED it' on this thread, and go back to re-reading the PM I sent you

Thanks for posting. Feel free to post more work similar to this one... whenever you want.

NS Senior Member Senior Member malugargula's Avatar

Dark and scary fic.
    But interesting because if there are characters that could come to this would be Chloe and Lex.
    Great job
    Malu

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information