+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Friday February 13th (PG) one-shot

Dealing w/ a Ship Change Senior Member

Friday February 13th (PG) one-shot

Title: Friday February 13th
    Author: Superag
    Rating: PG
    Summary: Around fourth season, everyone is all still friendly, no Jason etc…just something to relive my last week of real life.

Lex strolled into the Talon and nodded his head at the continual awkward ballet between Lana and Clark. The two seriously just needed to find a part of the Kent’s hayloft and do the deed. Then decide how they felt. Stopping one of the waitresses, he whispered something to her and she disappeared behind the counter.

Gazing over all the patrons in the small coffee house he half owned, he noticed blonde hair sticking out from behind one of the tall cushioned chairs. Walking over to the corner, he was sure he would startle her and she would call him for being rude and invading her privacy.

Lex leaned on the back side of the chair and saw her hands resting gently on the keyboard but not typing…anything. He watched her chest rise and fall and gently pushed the laptop screen back slightly to notice that it wasn’t a story at all. He looked at the stacks of papers that covered the couch her feet were propped up on.

“Thanks,” he smiled gently at the waitress and pointed at Chloe’s empty cup. “Go easy on it; nothing really strong.”

He pulled another chair over and stared at her until she stirred, kicking up her feet slightly and sending several papers flying to the floor. Lex caught two and looked at what she was trying to accomplish. “You know that Valentine’s Day is this Saturday and that this isn’t exactly your area. Favor for Lana?”

Chloe rubbed her eyes as Lex picked up more of the papers from the floor, noticing the ones that x’s and others had checks on them. “Thanks for the vote of confidence. Actually, I volunteered to do the Sweetheart Dance this year as a fundraiser for the Torch. Close your mouth Lex, I’m not asking for a hand out. But dumb me, I guess I figured the other team members on the paper would help, but since someone obviously already knows who he’s going with, it doesn’t matter what it will look like.”

“I like this one,” Lex smirked handing her the sheet back. The plastic blowup cupid decoration was an asthmatics dream, six feet with one airhole to blow through.

Grabbing the sheet out of Lex’s hand, Chloe rolled her eyes. “What the hell was I thinking? I have sold tickets for half the school at lunch…my lunch that I haven’t had in three weeks. These decorations are going to cost an arm and a leg since I have to rush order them and they are freaking childish. Half of this damn town doesn’t even know what the hell semi-formal means anyway. ‘Does that mean I wear my good jeans?’ And then to think that actually thought I would get help. And…”

Lex leaned over and touched her leg and startled her out of her continuous rant. “Take a breath. Drink.”

“Please tell me you poisoned it and I’ll be in the hospital until Sunday.” Chloe half smiled as she took the coffee and sipped. She looked back at Lex. “This isn’t what I order.”

“I think you need to make a change.” Chloe couldn’t exactly read what he meant by the statement but it was obviously going deeper than just the coffee, or she was tired and reading more into than she should.

Looking back over his shoulder, Lex honestly wondered what he paid the little girl for. She was going to rub a whole in the counter if she rubbed the same place anymore. Turning back at Chloe, he wanted to help the pencil in her mouth out from the pain of the teeth marks it was receiving. “So, you thought this would be a nice little fundraiser and would get you some Clark time.” Chloe’s eyes shot up and glared in Lex’s direction. “I’m not trying to make you angry Chloe. You knew in the back of your mind how it would turn out. You can’t do everything alone either. Come on, go over what you got solidified so far.”

Chloe watched as Lex stood up carefully and pushed the chair around to her side before sitting back down again. He went through the stacks of papers that already had checks and made some notes of his own. “Thank you.”

“I usually pay people to do this for me, for good reason. What’s your budget, including the profit you want after paying for everything?” Chloe pulled out some sheets she had worked on. Lex looked over the sheets and slid his head back slightly to look at her. “These are really good.”

“Dad made me take accounting this semester. No offense, but snore.” Chloe smiled slightly and almost thought she heard Lex chuckle under his breath as he stared at the numbers.

“Come on. Pull this stuff together and come with me.” Lex leaned forward and started stacking up the folders and papers she had scattered about. The two walked up to the counter and bade Lana and Clark, still talking, goodbye for the evening.

As the two walked out, Clark watched and saw Lex’s hand drop to the small of Chloe’s back. “What’s going on there?”

“No idea.”

Chloe dumped her bags into her trunk and followed Lex on foot another block. Watching him stop on the corner, she looked up the building that he was staring at. “The roof is in good shape, the bathrooms work, just needs some TLC and creative thinking.”

“Lex, you saw my budget sheet. I can’t buy a building.”

Lex waved a finger at her. “No, but you can rent one. For the weekend, it’s $100. I know a crew that will clean on the cheap and then decorate.”

“Lex, I know you threw Lana parties and such but I want to do this for me. I know doing it to get Clark’s attention was a waste but now I want it to be something I feel proud of.”

“Good, then shall we look inside and picture how proud you will be when you can make it work.” Lex pulled out a key and opened the lock. Looking back over his shoulder, he signaled her Chloe to enter first. He could see her stunned look and smiled. “We were already in the process of cleaning it up. It’s going to be the new senior center for the town. A little give back project, but it seems someone needs to rent it for something this weekend. She’s got a lot of work ahead.”

Lex stood silently as Chloe walked around the old brick building. It had dated from the original buildings in Smallville and some of the senior citizens had even remembered having barn raising dances there when they were younger. She had heard that someone bought the building to rehab, but had never pictured Lex putting more roots in the strange town.

She ran her hand along the wall and wiped the dust off the heavy wallpaper that was old but still in decent condition. She looked back over in Lex’s direction as he stared up that ceiling looking at something before writing something in a small notebook. “Thank you?”

Lex looked back in her direction. Walking over to her, he handed her a card. “Call this number for the clean up crew. Call that number for the decorator. I think you’ll be pleased. This hall used to be a community center until the owner died ten years ago. It’s been tied up in litigation…”

“Until one well to do businessman swooped in and paid more than it was worth with a cause.”

“I do not swoop. Saunter maybe. But yes; my offer was better than tax payers putting more money into paying for a dead man’s legal issues. Let me know what else I can do.” Lex patted her gently on the shoulder and exited the building, leaving the keys on the window sill by the door.

Chloe closed her eyes and wondered if the smell of mold actually could go away in a week.

Clark walked across the floor to the DJ booth with a smile from ear to ear. “Chloe!”

Looking up from the stacks of cd’s that were laid out in the order of playing, she smiled back at Clark and noticed a particular brunette wasn’t tied to him. “You did an awesome job. I can’t believe Lex paid for all of this.”

Chloe frowned. “He didn’t. It was simply suggestions. This is all Torch money.” She moved around the table and smiled at the DJ who still had his headphones on. Clark wrapped his arm around her shoulders and she suddenly felt odd. Pulling out of his arms, she smiled. “I’m glad you like it. I couldn’t have done it without Lex though, even if none of it was his money.”

“Chloe, we helped.”

“Yeah, notice those paper hearts are...well, not hanging up.” Chloe walked away as Lana approached and headed to the restrooms in the back of the hall. The sweethearts had been announced a few minutes before and she thanked her stars that Lana and Clark didn’t win. Hosting a party by yourself on Valentine’s Day without a date was humiliating, regardless of the number of compliments.

Chloe held her head that now seemed to throb with the music. Only one more hour to go, she thought. Then she would sink into a tub of bubbles until the water became cold and she pruned. Maybe drink some even though her father wouldn’t approve; he wasn’t even in town for the weekend. Slinking down in the last stall in the bathroom that amazingly even smelled like roses, she leaned her head against the toilet seat and closed her eyes.

“Lex, I thought it was semi-formal and a high school dance.” Clark walked up and spoke half jokingly to his on again friend.

“This is the low end tux and I wanted to check on my investment. Seems that we going to definitely have to tone down the red some afterwards, but Chloe really brought out the original style of the place.”

“Yeah, she interviewed some of the townspeople that remembered the old look.”

Lex smiled at the fact she hadn’t really changed anything. Besides the discoball hanging from the ceiling and the columns covered in red tulle, the rest was renovated from the original. She had stayed true to herself, simple and elegant. “Any idea where she is?”

After Clark pointed off in the direction of the bathrooms, Lex knocked on the ladies room. Not getting a response, he pushed the door open and heard a slight sigh. He saw legs sticking out from under a stall. And then a lurch. Stopping in front of the sink, he wet two paper towels. Pushing the stall door open, he bent down beside her. He took the clip from her hair and pulled it further from her face to clip it.

“Put this on your head. I see my little firecracker ran out of powder.”

Chloe looked up at him. Her face was paler than the walls now. “Your firecracker?” she barely got out before lurching for the toilet again. She felt Lex’s hand on her back and her head.

“I think it’s time the host made her early exit. You have chaperones here right?”

Chloe just nodded and couldn’t say anything. She watched as Lex pulled out his phone. “Yeah, bring the car around to the back of the building.” He clicked another button, “Yes Gabe Sullivan please. Gabe, I’m sending George into finish the meetings up on Monday; I think Chloe may have outdone herself this time.” Chloe watched as Lex tried to talk her father down from his worry and wanted to giggle, but movement meant being sick all over again.

After Lex put the phone back in his pocket, he wrapped his arm around her and carried her out to the car. “Sullivan residence,” he ordered the driver.

Chloe could barely smell the wonderful fragrance of just being near Lex. She wondered silently why all her so called dates turned out badly, even the ones she never planned on showing up. It wasn’t like he was there for her; he was checking on his investment. “Why did you come?”

“I own the place.”

“And you just happen to be looking for me?” Chloe leaned over and felt her head hit his lap. Lying down was the only option to not vomiting in his limo.

“I wanted to congratulate you, but dancing with you tonight didn’t seem like a viable option. You’re going to bed when you get home.” Lex ran his fingers through her hair gently as the limo stopped. Sitting her up, he noticed the look on her face and opened the car door quickly before she lurched again. She hadn’t apparently eaten anything all day. “Come on,” he whispered as she leaned back against the car sweating now.

Lex gathered her up in his arms and carried her upstairs after his driver fished out the house keys from her purse. “Go and get some 7Up and Saltines and come back.” Lex closed the door and went back up to the bed where he had left Chloe. She hadn’t moved.

“You ache?”

“Everywhere,” she barely mumbled. He slipped her shoes off and pulled back the covers. Chloe started fumbling for the zipper on the dress.

Lex took her hands that quivered and pulled them down. “Just rest. Your dad’s on his way. I’ll be downstairs. You need to sleep…a lot.”

The next morning Chloe walked down the stairs in sweats and could feel her body begging for food. “Good morning dad.”

“You look much better than Lex described you two nights ago.”

Chloe sat down at the small counter where her father placed a 7Up and a piece of toast in front of her. “He stayed here? Wait, you said two nights ago?”

“Yeah, he was napping on the couch under the Lincoln biography when I walked in. But he said your dance was a roaring success and he left he accounting sheets and school deposit on the table in the living room for you. And yes, you have been either asleep or hovered over the toilet for a day.”

“I slept through Valentine’s day?”

“Pretty much. All your other gifts are on the table, except for the food items.”

Chloe stared at the clear drink in front of her and shook her head. “Dad?”

“Doctor’s orders.” Gabe laid the small note down on the counter next to a box of Saltines wrapped in a bow and left the room. Chloe picked up the note and smiled. Simply read, no caffeine, coffee, or chocolate for you. Rest. Happy Valentine’s Day. Lex.

FIN

Re: Friday February 13th (PG) one-shot

That is adorable, sweet, and perfect! Thank you for making me smile with another beautiful story, super! Lex is such a sweetheart and Chloe did so well at setting up for the dance... I love it

This piece was terrific, showing a caring considerate Lex, Like how lex commented about Lana being a little girl. How much he respects Chloe and sees her as capable. Charging into the bathroom, calling her his little firecracker. So adorable. Thanks for a story that juxtaposed the illusion and often unreasonable expectations about V day with a meaningful and realistic outcome about caring and affection between two people instead.

Dagney

NS Senior Member Senior Member

Aww Lex was so sweet to take care of her. Despite the sickness, I think that was a pretty good Friday the 13th to be looked after by Lex. Now if we could just send a kryptonite-ax wielding Jason after Clark.

Happy-ending addict Senior Member lexie's Avatar

I miss the old seasons a lot, so this was a very cute and welcome Valentine´s gift- even for those of us, who like Chloe, have yet to find theirs. She´s one lucky girl to have a thoughtful friend such as Lex.

Quote Originally Posted by superag View Post
    “Yeah, he was napping on the couch under the Lincoln biography when I walked in....”
    This line made me smile. Did you know that MR´s favourite reads are late American Presidents´ biographies?

My fics:

COMPLETE FICS

Second Chances
    Payback Time
    The Love of Two Men
    Hope and Happiness
    The Countdown
    Shadows from the Past
    Finding the Way Back
    The Real Thing
    The Christmas Gift
    Addicted
    The Naked Truth
    Crossing Paths and its sequel
    Rebuilding
    Thxs to beeej for the avi

A MASTER LIST OF ALL MY COMPLETED WORKS & WIPs w/PDFs

"PERMANENT" WIPs (UNLESS MY CHLEX MUSE AWAKENS AGAIN AND I GET A LONG-NEEDED CLONE OF MYSELF)

"Choices"May 30 '11

"At Second Sight" August 21 '11

PODFIC REQUESTS

INTERVIEW

VIDEOS

Spunky Chick Senior Member hfce's Avatar

Oh my gosh that was so sweet and cute.
    "Everyone seems normal until you get to know them. "

Aww...Lex is just sweet! And poor Chloe, spending the Valentine's Day all sick. Although, she at least had Lex taking care of her. Truly nice to read!

An Accused Heretic Senior Member Kit Merlot's Avatar

This was an adorably sweet story!

Good for Lex for taking such great care of Chloe, and for helping her with the dance. Lord knows that Clark and Lana couldn't be bothered
    KATHY

"Don't quote me to me!" Detective Danny "Danno" WIlliams, Hawaii Five-0, episode 1.8 Mana'o

"This could barely fill up Thumbelina!" SALIGIA by westwingwolf

My Fanfic Master List

My livejournal: An Accused Heretic

Julie's Soul Sister

Aww Adorable.... and based on a true story, hehe I wish I had my Lex yesterday!

Sweet!!! Love how Lex helped Chloe and took care of her.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information