+ Reply to Thread
Page 19 of 80 FirstFirst ... 917181920212969 ... LastLast

Thread: Time Warp (R-NC17)

^

I don't remember reading anything about a death scene. Nope. No sirree. *shakes head*

After all, this is Chloe. She's fallen out of windows before. Remember? Hmm.

If what Scifi says is true... Lex is going to flip a shit. He really, really is.

And that is one Luthor I don't even want to be within a 50 mile radius of.

Michelle
    Just a Guest!
    For the love of god, I will give you my first born, a years supply of chocolate, all my money, my brother, my computer, JUST PLEEEEASSE CONTINUE PLEASE NOW RIGHT NOW PLEASE!!! Phew, sorry. That was my alter ego, Jed. As you can tell, he's the smart one. You should listen to him. This was a great great chapter, I felt bad for Chloe. But I'm glad you didn't make Wendy believe her straight away, that wouldn't have made sense. Beautiful job, as usual. Please listen to Jed, he really knows what he's talking about .

Hugs, Michelle.

LarkLuthor
    Just a Guest!
    May we please have an update soon? PLEASE! PLEASE!!! :worship2: :worship2:

Hi Jed! I just love meeting people's alter-igos, muses, and evil twins. Anyway, I have a question. If you're going to trade your computer for an update how will you read the update?

Lark

see spot snark Senior Member happy bunny's Avatar
    You really are going to make us beg for more, aren't you?

I'll do it; I have no pride. *begs shamelessly for an update*

I know you've got it there somewhere. Come on, copy and paste is your friend. :biggrin:

Just... sometime soon, please? I'm loving this story and I really need to find out what happens.

NS Full Member
    where's the update.... come on u kno u wanna update... yea, no one answered my question about the fountain pen thing.. :crygreen: WUT DOES IT MEAN?!?!?!?!??!?!?! the FOUNTAIN PEN!!!!!! it's drivin me nuts... sumone answer!

katspell
    Just a Guest!
    happily joins update chant.

Miss Innocent-Or? 2005 Senior Member ColumbiaBlue's Avatar
    AAAAAHHHHHH! Update! Update now! You're killing me! You have to update and make everything better cause she just CAN'T go like that! *Slinks back into a corner, balls up, and starts rocking back and forth* Nononononononononononononono! NO!

*ahem*

Um... Update? Please? :biggrin:

~Manda :

God this is just amazing. Normally I don't get into the otherwordly stories, but you are great. The younger Lex is so real, so much anger and need. And Chloe... perfect. I love all the characters especially Corrine. Please update... you just can't leave it there, it read twenty something freakin' chapters and I need closure.... UPDATE soooooooon. :crygreen: :crygreen: I need more!!!

A/N: You wanted it, you got it. Hope ya'll like it. It's been stirring in my head for ages and finally got purged on paper. I hope it meets with approval.
    Also, brownie points to the first person who can tell me the fountain pen reference from the last chapter.

Thanks: Thanks to Kris, Sabby, and Mitch. I love you guy ad you are such huge helps.

Reviewlease please please please leave me a review. I want to know what everyone thinks. PLEASE! THANK YOU!

Chapter 29 - ...Of The End

By the time Wendy made it to Winchester Hall the crowd was already starting to disperse. She cursed under her breath as she pushed her way through the remnants of the crowd to the line of police tape and remaining spectators. When she came to the front she was standing right next to Corinne.

The goth was standing, shell shocked, staring at the bloodstained grass and mulling police.

"Corinne, what happened?"

Black painted lips opened, closed, and then opened again. They closed once more as Corinne swallowed in an attempt to speak. "She fell."

"She fell?" Wendy stared at the taller girl. "Who fell? Corinne, what's going on?"

"She fell. And they...tried. Vice Principal Trendle got a call on her cell a few minutes ago from the hospital. She died before they could even get her there. Dead on arrival."

Died? Wendy was beginning to seriously worry. Someone had died? What was going on here? "Who died?"

"Sullivan." Corinne said, still looking shell-shocked. "It was Sullivan.

"No."

"Miller, I- " Corinne started but she was cut off.

"No!" Wendy screamed. She started to run towards the building but a policeman caught her. "It wasn't her! How dare you!" She struggled to get herself free of the cop's strong grip. "Let me go, goddamn it!"

"You were friends weren't you? With Miss Sullivan?" he asked, his voice filled with sympathy and pity. "I'm sorry for your loss." His grip on her arms loosened as he spoke.

"No," she whispered, her eyes darting over to Corinne. She still looked shell shocked but was able to meet her gaze and nod in confirmation. A single black tinted tear rolled down the goth's face. "NO!"

Wendy jerked free of the cop's weak grip and tore off into the building. She raced up the stairs six flights of stairs and into her dorm room.

Jesus, it was cold. The window was gone, nothing but bits of glass still valiantly clinging to the window frame. And freezing February wind blew into the room dropping the temperature.

Wendy looked at Chloe's made bed, which she hadn't slept in it the night before, and her messy closet. It was as though at any moment her friend would walk through the door and start talking about classes or Lex.

"Oh god." Wendy breathed at the thought. "Lex." She looked frantically around, desperately seeking answers. "What am I going to tell Lex?"

~*~*~

The whole campus was buzzing. Someone had fallen. The cops were here. The word "died" was floating around and people had gathered near Winchester Hall.

Lex found out before he ever made it back to his dorm and took off towards the dormitory. He needed to check on Chloe and Wendy. He needed to be sure

When he got there, police tape was everywhere and there was a small crowd watching the police mull around.

Lex worked his way to the front of the crowd. There was blood in the grass, turning brown as it dried.

"Do you know what happened here?" Lex asked a tall, heavyset boy who stood near him.

"Some girl fell through a window on the top floor. I heard she died." He said as he shivered in the icy February weather. "It's really awful, man."

Lex didn't wait to hear more. He quietly worked his way through the crowd and moved around to the entrance of the building. He snuck easily inside and climbed up the stairs to Chloe's floor.

He wasn't exactly sure what he'd been expecting to see when he opened the door to the dorm but Wendy sitting on Chloe's bed trying to stop her tears was not it. "Wendy?"

"Lex, I..."her voice broke on a sob.

"Wendy?"

Wendy looked wildly around the room. "There's been an accident."

"What kind of accident?" Lex asked, trying his best to remain calm. "Wendy, where is Chloe?"

"She fell.”

“What do you mean she fell?”

“She must have tripped or something,“ Wendy said, sounding slightly hysterical as she pointed to the broken window.

Lex blinked, unwilling to believe what he was hearing. This was a dream. A nightmare. And he was certain that if he waited long enough, he would wake up and Chloe would still be here. He would find that none of this was real. None of it.

"Wendy, I think you're confused. You must have heard wrong. Because she can't be dead. I just saw her a few hours ago.” He gestured wildly towards the window, angry at her lying to him like this. How dare she, of all people, try to pull this bullshit with him? “The cops have to have seen the window. It's just vandalism."

Wendy had to be wrong she had to be.

"Lex," her lower lip trembled and a fresh flood of tears poured down her face. "Lex, please…look at the window. Listen to the police. If you have to…go down and look at the…the blood. Corinne saw…she saw…" She stopped as her voice hiccupped on a sob. "She's gone, Lex. She's really…oh, God."

“She is not gone! She’s not…” Lex trailed off. Pain ripped through his chest. The same pain he'd felt with his mother had died.

Wendy was still crying, on the verge of hyperventilating. "Lex, she saw, Chloe. Corinne saw her bo-," Wendy couldn't even say the word out loud. "When she fell. I'm so sorry. I'm sorry."

And then he could see it. In the way Wendy was sitting curled up in a ball, in the look on her face, in the tears in her eyes. It was real.

"No."

Lex took in a shuddering breath. It wasn't fair. Every time he loved someone, they were torn away from him. God, why Chloe? Why? Goddamn it, this was not fair! She was so vibrant and bright. And with the reality of the situation sinking in, he felt like all the color was draining from his world.

"No."

"Lex." Wendy said, her words broken by sobs. "I'm…Lex, I'm sorry."

"Get out."

"Please, Lex, I lost her too."

"Get. The. Fuck. Out."

He didn't hear Wendy run out of the room, crying. He didn't hear the door slam shut. He just heard a rush of white noise that blocked everything else out.

Like a zombie, Lex moved to through her room. Her pictures, her books, her clothes, everything was as she'd left it. His fingers touching everything she'd once touch, trying to capture a piece of her that still reminded in the cold room.

He was completely numb, as if he were a stranger in his own body. And whatever was running the rest of him moved him to lie down on her bed. He could smell the scent of her hair in the fabric of her pillowcase.

A rush of images of Chloe assailed him. Her eyes, her smile, her laugh, her smart mouth. The first time he saw her comet tattoo. He saw her in his boxers and Metallica shirt, claiming the garments and his heart as her own. He could taste her in his mouth and smell her around him. He could feel her in his arms. He could see the faint bruises on her hips left by his fingers from their lovemaking.

She was so vibrant. So beautiful. How could she be gone?

God, he couldn't do this. He couldn't imagine facing the world without her. How was he supposed to keep going?

It was all too much. He just broke. He tucked his knees up to his chest as his body was racked with harsh sobs, his face buried in her pillow. And he lay there until he heard the footsteps of policemen thumping down the hall to her room sometime later to finish their investigation.

~*~*~

Wally was sitting at home when the phone rang. His boss was on vacation so he'd cut out of work an hour early and was home in time to catch a rerun of the Simpsons. Using his speed he muted the TV and grabbed the phone, answering before the first wring tone was done.

He tucked the headset in the crook of his neck before speaking. "Y'ello?"

"Wally?"

He sat up at the sound of Wendy's voice. Usually this was the point where he would have smiled at getting her phone call and made a cocky innuendo. But this time her voice was wavering and shaky. "Wen?"

"She's dead. Jesus Wally, she's dead. And Lex has locked himself in his room, and Corinne's disappeared, and I just need you right now."

She always went so fast. It was hard for him to keep up with her sometimes. "Whoa, baby, slow down. Slow down. Lets take this from the top. Who is dead?"

"Chloe, my friend Chloe."

More than a regular run-of-the-mill around-campus friend, Wally surmised from the utterly broken quality of Wendy's voice. "This girl, she's your best friend isn't she, babe?"

Wendy didn't answer him. Instead she whispered. "She fell."

A mental image of splattered internal organs made Wally wince. "Jesus, baby, I am so sorry." Wally suddenly realized that it had been over a month since he'd held her. And he suddenly wanted nothing more than to have her in his arms, safe.

"Lex is having a melt down. I tried. I tried everything. But he won’t...he won’t let me help him." God, she sounded so hopeless. "It's like he's dying inside. Like he's dying with her."

Lex. Lex Luthor. That name Wally recognized. He was one of Wendy's close friends and from the sound of it he was Chloe's significant other as well. Jesus Christ on a crutch, this must be hard for him. But for some reason, it bothered him more that Lex's grief was hurting Wendy than that the man was in pain itself. "At least he knows you're there for him."

"He doesn't. He's shut me out. And...I can't go to Chloe for advice about it because-because...Wally?"

Wally swallowed hard around the lump in his throat. "Yeah, baby?"

"How soon can you be here? I just," She sighed heavily. "I need to see you. Please."

His heart tightened in his chest at the sound of her, so small and sad. It was so different from his Wendy: strong, spunky, and full of spark.

"Where are you?"

"Hampton Prep."

"I can be there fifteen minutes." Lie. He could be there in fifteen seconds but that would be a wee bit suspicious.

"Please. I need you."

"Coming, baby."

He made it to his car, a sleek black number built like him- for speed, in less than a second. And it only took him ten minutes to get to Hampton Prep. Wendy was waiting for him in the visitor parking lot.

He was out of his car and had her in his arms in the blink of an eye. And then he heard her crying. She was sobbing, heartbroken into his rumbled shirt. He hugged her tighter as her hands fisted in the fabric and her sobs reached a plateau and became a soft keening cry.

Wally kissed the crown of her head and soothed her hair. He rubbed her back with gentle hands. He let her cry herself out. He let her do anything to help her deal with the pain. "I know it hurts, baby. I'm here, Wendy."

She chuckled on hitching breath. She'd cried so hard she'd started hyperventilating. But she was calming now. "Thanks, Wally. I wouldn't have known you were here if you hadn't told me just now."

Wally could tell she was joking when she kissed him. He could tell she was still hurting when she shoved him into the back seat of his car, clutching at him and needing to feel alive. And Wally knew she would heal when, in the afterglow, she told him about how she'd met her best friend, Chloe.

~*~*~

Gary Noble and Francis Humfrey were both on their way to being well and truly shitfaced. And after watching a girl, bleeding internally and in critical condition, grow transparent and then disappear into thin fucking air both men felt they were entitled.

"Weird shit,” Humfrey muttered for the umpteenth time before downing another shot of Jack.

"Very,” Noble agreed for the same numbered time.

Both were experienced EMTs, Noble had been working for seven years and Humfrey for five. So both men had seem some freaky things before, including a guy who managed to get a live hamster stuck in a very embarrassing place. But that was nothing compared to today.

They'd been a little over ten minutes from Sacred Heart when she'd faded out like a specter in a ghost movie. Panicked and confused, they'd called Gary's uncle. People always gave Noble shit for being the nephew of the hospital administrator. But he'd gotten his job on the sweat of his brow. He just had a higher power to call on with the shit hit the fan.

Hal Noble had put his nephew on hold for three minutes as he speed dialed the hospital's leading benefactor. Mr. Luthor's advice had been succinct and very helpful. After receiving his instructions, Noble had contacted his nephew, instructing him to pull up to the morgue entrance. No sense in stopping up ER traffic with a body that wasn't there.

Neither knew that Hal had then called Hampton Prep's Vice Principal's direct cell phone to deliver the "bad news." The body used in her stead, a Jane Doe suicide, had been exhumed from the morgue. Within twenty-four hours "Chloe Sullivan" had been buried in a small grave in Harbor Cemetery. They did know that the girl had been marked as dead on arrival.

Gary Noble and Francis Humfrey went, once, to visit the grave, about two days after the false body was buried. Gary thought it was nice of Humfrey to have brought the girl flowers. And as he watched his friend lay the white lilies under the simple words Rest in Peace on a plain headstone with no date only her name, Noble wondered where she was.

~*~*~

"Alex are you ok?" Julian asked looking at his brother. He'd been in the same sprawled position on his bed with the same CD on repeat for days.

Corinne had called him at school. She hadn't called him, per say. She'd just left 27, and he'd counted, messages on his machine. And when he'd finally gotten in touch with his sort-of girlfriend later that evening, he'd fallen flat on his ass at the news

As soon as he'd pulled himself off the floor, he'd gone to the dean of students, explained that his "sister-in-law" had just died and his brother would need him. He'd gotten his reading assignments from his professors up through the next three weeks(most of which he'd already finished) and was on a train to Boston the next day.

He'd talked to Wendy and Corinne (who had needed what she called a 'funeral fuck' first, which had involved her pretending not to cry into his shoulder as they made love) and they'd told him the situation.

Lex was not speaking to either of them anymore. Apparently once the reality of the situation had sunk in, Lex had sort of lost it. That was nearly a month ago and Julian was starting to worry and Lex was starting to smell.

"No." Came the deadpan reply. But it was better than nothing. It was the first time in weeks Lex had said anything to anyone.

Jules sighed and admitted to himself that it had been a really stupid question to ask. His brother had just lost the most important person in his world.

"Can I do anything?"

"Julian, shut the fuck up and go away. And if you tell Dad about any of this, I will beat you so hard, you won't be able to walk for a month." Lex growled.

"You would have to get up to do that. And I haven't seen you move in three days." Julian answered smiling slightly.

"Go to hell, Wonder Boy."

"I can't. You look like a skeleton, Alex. You haven't eaten in a week. You haven't slept in almost two weeks. All you do is lay there, starring at the fucking ceiling, and listening to her CDs. You'll burn them out at this rate you know," Julian said, hoping to get a rise out of him. Despite the situation, he couldn’t help but notice that Corinne's cursing was rubbing off on him.

"I made copies," Lex said not moving a muscle.

Julian grabbed him by the front of his Metallica shirt and jerked him out of bed. Lex's legs, weak from disuse, gave out and he crumpled to the floor.

"You are a disgusting mess. At least change your shirt for Christ's sake," Julian said, looking down at his older brother.

"Yeah and you are an annoying, geeky, oversized rodent." Lex sighed and leaned his head back on the edge of his bed. "She took my clothes when she left, after we made love. She wore a pair of my boxers and this shirt even though it was freezing out. She didn't give them back. She wore them more in the month she had them then I did in a year," Lex said quietly. "Sometimes I think I still smell her scent in the fabric."

He could feel the pain of loss rip through his chest. He wanted her back. He needed her back. But all his money and power and connections couldn't bring back the dead. Just like none of it could give him back his mother or his baby sister.

"Alex," was all Julian could manage at that. He sank down on the floor next to his brother. He didn't touch him, knowing there was no way in hell Lex would accept it, but his closeness offering support anyway. And for once, Lex took what he offered.

"I was always better when I was with her. She changed me, made me feel alive. And I can't stop loving her even through she isn't here and missing her is killing me inside." He chuckled sadly. "I can't believe I just said that to you of all people."

"I won't exploit the fact that you're in mourning. You have to know that. And you know she wouldn't want you to hurt. She did everything she did to make you happy; and now you're here wasting away from pain. Try to let go." Julian said softly.

"Remember what it was like when we lost Mom and Lena?" Lex asked him in that same dead voice he'd been using through the whole conversation.

I remember you, Jules thought. I remember you angry, hateful, and reclusive. I remember hearing you crying through the door of your locked room. Don't hide from me like you did then. But he didn't say all that. He simply said, "Yes."

"Did the pain ever go away for you, Jules?"

Julian sighed heavily. He wasn't one to lie when asked a direct question. "No"

"Then you have a vague idea of what I'm living in right now. This..."Lex gestured at the room to indicate the almost visible despair that filled the room, "is never going to go away. And despite what people say, the ache never eases up. You just grow accustomed to it. When I'm used to it, I'll be back to my old asshole self. And I'm sure you’ll be ecstatic."

"For what its worth Alex, I'm here for you."

"I know Jules, now get out."

"You getting back in bed?" Julian asked before he headed out of Lex's room.

"Yeah, but I think I'm going to shower first."

Julian shook his head and left the room. Lex would be all right. He always was. He had to be.

~*~*~

Chloe woke with a gasp. Her eyes darted around, desperate for something solid.

"Chloe? Calm down, Sweetheart. It's all right. You're all right."

"Dad?" Chloe stared stupidly at her father. Her father was standing next to her bed, stroking her hand. "What are you doing here?"

Gabe smiled at her. "You got hit by a car. A truck actually. You're lucky to be alive, let alone so healthy. It's a miracle." Her father kissed her hand. "Clark brought you to the hospital."

"I missed you Daddy,” Chloe said softly. And she had. But she still had to be sure of what was happening. "What's the date?"

Her father smiled indulgently at her. "October twenty-third. You've only lost two days. You were so very lucky, Chloe. "

"The date, Daddy. With the year." Something felt different. Things were different. Hell her father was standing right in front of her.

Gabe looked down at his only child with concern but indulged her. "June 23, 2002."

She was back. She could practically hear Christopher Lloyd yelling 'back to the future!' Which meant she had hadn't had a chance to tell Lex, to tell anyone what was happening. This was not good. Not good at all. "Oh shit."

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

Eternal thanks to Becky for manipulating the pic!

Willy Wonka: Everything here is eatable. I'm eatable, but that my children is called cannibalism and it is frowned upon in most societies.

NS Full Member
    Yeah an update. I can't wait until she see's Lex again. That should be an interesting conversation.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information