+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Remembrances of Christmas Eve's Past (PG-13) - Complete

NS Full Member

Remembrances of Christmas Eve's Past (PG-13) - Complete

Sorry I was a bit late with this piece---my muse wanted it to be practically perfect. And my practicially perfect muse also decided we should throw out the New Years Eve piece and create something better. That will be coming later---if I stop her from looking at Flack and Angell and get the head in the game. <g> Don't you just love HSM references. <bg> Enjoy.

Title: "Remembrances of Christmas Eve's Past"

Author: PMD

e-mail: mary.davidson@sympatico.ca

Rating: PG-13 (slight language and slight suggestive situations)

Category: Friendship, Chlex, Christmas Fic, Chloe's POV, AU

Spoilers: Anything is fair game up to season 6 (and only Jimmy, when season 6 is mentioned) and nothing beyond.

Summary: Chloe waits for Lex and remembers Christmas Eve's past.

Disclaimer: To whomever owns Smallville, its characters, Mr. Scrooge, The Thin Man, the song lyrics to The Very Thought of You and But Baby It's Cold Outside, I'm just borrowing them, will give them back, not making any money off of them, so don't sue me.

Archive: At BAFsFF, BT2, Electricchlex, N.S. Forums, and SPP for the time being. If anybody else wants it, all they have to do is ask.

Author Notes: Thanks to Esther for asking me to do a story where The Very Thought Of You lyrics are used. Hope you like it, sweetie. Enjoy, everybody.

"Remembrances of Christmas Eve's Past" - by PMD

Present - Christmas Eve

He's late---where is he---not at work. I tried that first---not at the Kents. Clark offered to look around but I said it's okay---spend time with your parents and Lana---or you never know when somebody might scream out for his help. Big old overgrown boy scout that he is.

I sit by the fire, getting worried by the minute. Maybe I should take Clark up on his offer. But before I do, my phone rings. I pick it up, looking at who's calling me, and let out a sigh of relief, before I answer it.

"Lex, where are you?"

'In a car, driving home---to a very peeved woman?'

I snort. "I'm just worried."

'I love you too, Sweetheart. I'm sorry I'm late.'

"Wait----let me guess---you had last minute Christmas shopping to do---for me?"

'You know I don't like to go into the malls two weeks before Christmas.'

"Not even for me?"

'All right, I would for you.'

I smile. "So, when are you going to get here?"

'As soon as I can. I better get off the phone and concentrate on my driving. You want me home in one piece, right?'

"Yes, I do."

'All right---see you later, Chloe.'

"Love you."

'Love you too---bye.'

He hangs up and I close my cell, placing it down on the table beside the couch.

I lay back and close my eyes, smiling. He seldom is late for anything but Christmas Eve---he loses his watch and just takes his own sweet time.

I laugh, remembering some memorable moments in our past in regards to this statement. Then I sigh once more and am left to those thoughts.

~

First Christmas Eve Together - Chloe's 15th Year

"Daddy, are you here?" I ask as I open the door to his office in the factory.

I look around and sigh. Nope, not at the moment---might as well stay here until he comes back. And noooooo snooping, young lady.

I walk in, closing the door after me, and go over to the couch nearby, plopping myself down.

A few minutes later, there's a knock at the door.

"Come in," I say in my best imitation of my father.

It opens and in walks my father's boss. Oops.

"Gabe?"

He closes the door and looks around, finally alighting on me sitting on the couch.

"Sorry---thought it was somebody else."

"Other then the boss---you think I'll fire him for you pulling this on me?" he asks, with a smirk.

I get up and walk over, angry. "You do and you'll face a suit that'll---"

"Hey, back off, Hazel Fury---I was kidding."

"Oh," I state. "Sorry," I add.

"Its okay---I'm used to people thinking the worse of me."

"But not from me," I add.

"I seem to have heard a rumor of you being jealous of me because of my spending so much time with Clark."

I groan. "Pete? No---Lana?"

"No, just talk around. But you'll be happy to know I'm not spending Christmas Eve with his family."

"Mr. Kent bolted the door from the inside?"

He laughs. "No---I wasn't invited."

"Same thing," I sigh.

He sighs. "Yes, same thing. So what are you doing here?"

"Waiting for my father. Seems his employer, Mr. Scrooge, is keeping him here later than he should."

"For the record---I told him to go home and I'm here to tell him to go home, again."

"Oh---sorry again."

I walk over to the couch, dejected by my mistrusting him twice in less then five minutes. I sit, looking down at my hands. Then I sense movement in the air, and look up at him standing by the couch.

He gestures I move over and then smiles at me. "So, I'll tell him go home."

I smile back at him. "We'll have to drag him kicking and screaming to the car."

"We?" he asks me.

"Sure---you think I'm strong enough to do it on my own."

"Yes."

"Gee thanks---not only am I everybody's little sister but I'm also a work horse too."

He give me a chagrinned little smile. "I'm sorry."

"Its okay---I was kidding about the work horse thing."

He laughs and then looks ahead, sighing.

"So, what are you doing Christmas Eve?" I ask.

He looks at me. "Working here and tomorrow too."

"Ah---didn't anybody tell you its Christmas tomorrow."

"No plans---may as well work."

"Well, you do now. You are coming to our home tonight and staying over for Christmas Day---I insist."

"I would listen to her, Lex. When she gets this way, she won't take no for an answer."

We both look to see the door is open and my father is standing there, watching us.

Lex looks at him and than back at me. "You sure?"

I nod yes and he pats my hand.

"Okay---I'll meet you there."

"You promise?"

"I promise," he states, getting up and walking over to my father.

"Gabe---go home and get ready for your company."

"All right---I know when I'm licked. Come on, Honey. I'll race you to the cars."

I smirk at him, getting up and walking to the men. "I'll give you a head start, Daddy."

He moves to his desk, picking up his brief case and I use this moment to look at Lex. "You don't have to bring anything but yourself---and clothing. Although---that could be optional."

"Chloe!" my father admonishes.

"Kidding, Daddy. Kidding."

~

Two Hours Later

"Where is he, Daddy? He's late."

"He had to pick out an ensemble that would make you proud?" he quips.

"Oh please."

He smiles knowingly, coming over to sit beside me. "You like him."

"Gee, what gave you that idea? The fact that I invited him over for the holidays?" I snark.

"That and you're worried about him. Guess it's a good idea I decided to give you something to give to him."

"What?" I ask him, wonderingly.

He gets up and goes over to the desk, opening it up. He pulls out a box that I recognize.

"Papa's old watch?"

He nods, walking over and sitting beside me again.

I open it up and finger the old time piece, passed down from son to son in our family. I had already received Nanny's necklace---a deep purple stone that warded off bad dreams when placed by the bed.

I close the box and put it down.

I sigh and look at Daddy. "Why?"

"Well, because I've come to like him and you like him. And I've always said I would give it to somebody who truly appreciates you. And Clark just isn't it, Honey."

"I know," I gulp, fighting the tears.

He pulls me in for a hug. "Honey, Lex may or may not be the one for you either. But he really does appreciate you. He likes how you verbal with him---keeps him on his toes---and that's the kind of man that deserves something like this."

"That and the fact that it might actually get him to appointments on time too," I quip.

He laughs. "Well, he's never late for work---but for social things, it just might."

There's a knock at the door and my dad backs away. "You get it or me?"

"I'll get it!" I state, getting up and running for the door.

I open it to a man thrusting daisies in my face.

"What---no horse shoes?" I ask, as I back away to let him in.

"What is it with you and horse analogies today, Sullivan?" he asks, putting his suitcase down and staring at the flowers in his hand. "You want them or do you have a nice little filly in the garage that needs some nourishment?"

I take them gladly and kiss him on the cheek. "Thanks---now, what did you do to bring them?"

"I was late."

I snort. "What else is new."

I turn around and walk away, hearing, "Hey, I'm not always late to our meetings."

"True," I throw back, turning around again. "Sorry about that."

He stands there, staring at me. "What?" I ask.

"Nothing," he says, walking over to the closet and putting his coat in.

He then walks back. "My suitcase?"

"Just leave it there---you can take it up later."

"But it has a few presents for you and your dad."

My eyes gleam. "Okay---you can get them out and bring them---and leave the rest."

I turn back around and walk into the room, a snort heard in the distance.

Soon after he joins us as my father brings in the drinks and nourishment, after taking the flowers and putting them in water.

After we ate, we sat on the couch, enjoying the tree and the few presents under it---his to us nestling among the others.

"So, this is all you do on Christmas Eve?" he laughs.

We both turn to look at him. "We also open a present but maybe not for you this year."

"Oh, Honey. Give him a break. He doesn't know the Suliquette for this night."

"Suliquette?" he asks.

"It's like netiquette but towards the Sullivans."

"Oh---so what is it?"

"I just told you, Luthor. We open a present," I quip.

He laughs. "Sounds like fun---so does a non-Sullivan get in on this deal?"

"I think so---if he's been a good little boy all year," I quip.

"Semi-good count?"

I nod, getting up and going over to the tree. I spy the box that my dad had given to me to give to him. Course, I'm not going to tell Daddy that I already had a present for Lex---hidden among ours. A nice little something---why spoil his surprise of this wonderful heirloom that he's about to give to a wonderful man and a great boss.

I pick up the box and say:

"Present for A Mr. Lex Luthor," I state, as I turn around.

He stares at the box. "It's not wrapped and doesn't seem to have a tag---how do you know it's for me?"

I walk over and sit beside him on the couch, my father on the other side of the man. "Trust me---I know."

I give it to him and he smirks. "What is it---a tiny bomb?"

I snort. "You really think I want to clean up after a tiny bomb. No---it's not lethal."

He opens it and gasps. "A---Gabe---this is---"

"---the heirloom watch I showed you---yes."

He looks at him and then me. "Why?"

I pat his arm. "Because he admires and trusts you with it and his greatest achievement."

"And that is?"

"Me, of course. Lex---you like it right?"

He nods and I see a tear in his eye. I lean in and hug his arm. Then I see a smile, as I back away and look at him.

"Gabe?"

"Yes, Lex?"

"This is the nicest time piece I have ever gotten since my mother gave me the Alexander watch. Thank you."

My father gives him a quick hug and then smiles. "You're welcome. Now enough with the sentimentality---let's give out a couple more gifts and then to bed. Christmas comes early here."

~

Back to the Present

I open my eyes, sighing. Dad's right---Christmas comes early here---and Christmas Eve is our favorite time together before the craziness of Christmas.

I smile, remembering another Christmas Eve near and dear to my heart---the Christmas Eve that we became more to each other and sang so sweetly--But Baby It's Cold Outside.

I close my eyes and find myself in our past once more.

~

Christmas Eve Past - Chloe's 18th Year On Earth

"James?"

Lex's manservant walks into his study. "Yes, Miss?"

"Has Lex fallen asleep upstairs?"

"I believe he is wrapping your Christmas present, Miss."

"Oh---must be big."

He smirks at me. "I'm not telling."

Before I can say another word, I hear a slight noise outside.

"Was that a tree branch?" I ask him.

"Damn ice storm."

I sigh, feeling a tear in my eyes. "I guess I won't be going home tonight."

He walks over to me and pulls me into his arms. "Miss, if it helps, I'll be the father to your duo tonight."

I back away and give him a kiss on his cheek. "Thanks."

Then I sigh and he smiles. "Tell him."

"Who?"

"Master Lex---he needs to know how you feel."

I give him a smile. "But I don't have the right hair color to attract him."

"Or the hair color to eventually repel him. Just tell him."

"Tell who what?"

James turns around to look at his boss standing there. "Sir---the storm is getting worse," he states, saving the day for me.

He walks in, a sad look on his face. "I'm sorry about that, Chloe. Your father---"

"Oh God, my father. I forgot to call him to say I got here okay."

I take out my cell and open it. I listen to the dial tone until:

'Chloe!'

"Dad, I'm---"

'You said you would call when you got there. I thought you were in an accident, young lady.'

"I'm sorry---I got distracted---by Lex's legs."

I hear a snort from the man and I give him an apologetic smile. Then I'm back to the phone and laughter on the other end.

'Well, that's understandable---I get distracted by them too.'

I snort. "Daddy!"

He laughs again and then sobers up with:

'Honey, I'm sorry I won't be there tonight or you, here. Just remember sometimes you have to change traditions because of outside influences. Besides, with me not there, you can tell him how you really feel.'

I sigh. How is it that the two older men in my life can see how I feel and not Lex? Experience, I guess.

"Okay, I'll tell him. Daddy, take care. And I'll be there as soon as I can."

'Just hope you cuddle with him tonight because---Baby its cold outside.'

I laugh. "Daddy!"

'Night honey--give my love to the others.'

I sniffle. "I will, Daddy. I love you. Night."

'I love you too, my sweet baby. And Merry Christmas.'

"Merry Christmas," I state, before I close off our conversation.

I put my cell in my pocket and then feel his arms around me. I start to sob again and he leads me to the couch. I don't even know that James has left until a few minutes later and I look at the doorway and nobody is there. Now's the time.

"Lex?" I ask, as I look straight at him.

"Yes?"

"Have you ever thought of getting a girlfriend who can keep up with you?"

"Hmmm---what's the fun in that. I love to drop them after a couple of weeks."

I roll my eyes to his laughter.

"Seriously."

"Seriously---well, it is getting old really fast, isn't it."

"You think!"

"And I am tired of women trying to kill me."

"True."

"Got anybody in mind?"

"You got anybody in mind?"

"How about Lana?" he asks.

"Lex---please. Don't make me up chuck. She's okay---but more Clark's speed, not yours. You weren't serious, right?"

He smirks and then smiles. "So, you have anybody in mind?"

"Maybe."

"Your cousin?"

"No---too much drama there."

"Well, there is the new waitress at the Talon."

"She's got a boyfriend."

"Hmmmmm---you know, I was thinking about this new secretary at Luthorcorp."

"Lex---a workplace romance---seldom works for you. I seem to recall another secretary that threw an important contract in the shredder after you dumped her."

"True---well, I think I've run out of possibilities."

I sigh. "Yeah, me too. Maybe you and I are destined to be alone."

His eyes sparkle with mirth and I give him an angry look. "You think that's funny?"

"I think it's funny that you've taken the one person out of the equation that is perfect for me---why are you?"

"I don't know what you're talking about."

He moves closer to me and lightly kisses my lips. He backs away and whispers:

"Be my girl."

I smirk at him. "I'll think about it."

He laughs and pulls me in close with a one armed hug. I start to hum, happy finally. Then I say:

"I really can't stay."

He adds:

"Baby its cold outside---"

I smile, singing the next line, giving him a nudge in the side. Just a way of saying, I will be his girl, in Chlexy fashion. Like it's ever easy with the both of us, in any arena.

~

Back To the Present

Somebody is shaking me and I come back, opening my eyes.

"Sorry to wake you, Miss, but he's on the phone for you."

James hands me my cell and leaves the room.

"Lex?"

'Were you expecting somebody else?' he quips.

"I thought you would be here by now."

'I had to stop for gas. I'll be there in a bit, I promise.'

I smile. "I know."

'So, while I'm waiting---what are you wearing?'

I snort. "Lex, now is not the time for sex talk over the phone."

'It'll keep me warm.'

"Hurry home and I'll really help you work up a sweat."

'Promises, promises. So, what are you wearing?'

Okay, Buster, you asked for it.

"I'm wearing my favorite flannel pj's."

'Chloe!'

"Well, I am," I state, looking down at the purple nightie set I'm really wearing.

'Liar!'

"Well, maybe I am; maybe I'm not. You'll have to find out when you get home, won't you."

'You're an evil woman---you know that.'

"I learned from the best. Lex?"

'Yes?'

"Drive carefully---drive slowly."

'I will. I'm all filled up and raring to go.'

"And the car is too, I take it."

I hear him laugh and then sigh. 'I love you, Chloe.'

"Love you too. See you in a while."

'Yes you will. Bye, Chloe.'

"Bye, Lex."

I hear a dial tone. I place my cell on the table in front of me and then close my eyes once more to another Christmas Eve in my past.

~

Christmas Eve - Chloe's 21st Year on this Earth

"Daddy---is he here yet?"

My father comes back into the living room. "No, Honey, he's not. Don't worry---he'll be here soon."

I let out a quiet sigh. "But I am worried. Not really about him being late---more like---"

He comes over and sits beside me. "About him and Lionel?"

"Yeah. I mean I think this is finally it. His father has gone away---out of the State. He's gone---really gone. He never wants to see him again. And I know it's what he wants but he still wanted his love."

"But he never will."

I nod.

"Well, Lionel's loss then. And our gain."

I smile at him. "Yeah."

I get up and walk to the front door, looking out the window and then my eyes widen. I open the door.

At the end of the walkway is a horse drawn sleigh.

"Oh---wow!"

"Well, he does know how to do it up in style," I hear my father say, as he joins me.

"Yes, Daddy, he does," I state, sighing. "Such a romantic."

He pats my arm and then pulls me back, as I try to leave the house.

"Coat and boots, young lady."

"Ooops---thanks, Daddy."

Before I can move further into the house to get them, I watch as Lex gets out of the sleigh and walks towards us. As he moves closer, I can sense his admiration at what I chose to wear tonight.

It's purple, of course. His favorite color and mine. It's long---romantic is long for me and him. Happened after we had watched The Thin Man, for the umpteenth time---this need for the long and romantic length of dress once in a while. Course, he's the rich one, not me. But we'll let that slide. And it's long sleeved and hugs my curves---like his arms will be hugging them tonight.

"Sullivan?"

"Yes?"

He moves up the steps and stands before me. I offer him my hand and he kisses it---then winks at me.

"You are more beautiful than I've ever seen you be before, Chloe."

"Ahhem."

He looks beyond me and smiles. "You don't look half bad yourself tonight, Gabe."

My father laughs. "You don't look bad either, Lex. Now, I think I'll leave you two alone---oh, Honey, please don't forget your outerwear."

I nod, still staring into the azure eyes of the man before me. I then sigh.

"What's wrong?"

"Lex, it's okay to feel like you've lost something," I state, turning around and moving into the house, towards the closet.

I open it and put on my coat and boots. Then I turn around to him standing there in front of a closed door.

"Am I losing you, Chloe?"

"No, not me. Your father."

He walks towards me.

"My father isn't worth one more tear from me---one more thought from me---one more action done to get back at him, from me."

"Lex, I know how much it took you to tell me that all you wanted from your father was his love. And how sad your eyes were, when you said you would never get it."

His hand reaches out and touches my cheek. "Chloe, that was in the past. What would destroy me now is---I never want to lose you."

I lean into the simple touch. "You never will. We're friends and so much more, Lex. Still, we're not family and that's what you’re missing right now---your father is gone---he's not coming back. You have to deal with it."

"I have and I will in the future. But not now. Now is the time for a ride in the snow."

"All right---if we must."

He offers me his arm and we walk to the front door, calling out goodbye to my father. Then he moves away and opens the door, with a bow to his lady.

We join again and walk out, him closing the door behind.

We walk slowly to the sleigh, a soft crunch here and there, from some errant snow, finding its way to the walkway.

The driver nods to us and then Lex helps me up on the sleigh, joining me soon after.

He whispers to the driver, as I sit and pull the down coverlet over me.

He sits down and I place his half over him. We snuggle together in the warmth as the ride starts.

He sighs and I look at him. "What?"

"Sorry I was late tonight."

"That's okay---you probably had to wait for the horses to eat their dinner."

He laughs. "Close---I had to wait for something though."

"Your courage to enter the cold world outside to pick me up?" I quip.

He shakes his head.

"Lana called you with a problem and you had to wait for her to finish?" I quip again.

"No problems---except for how long it will take for Clark to ask her to marry him."

"Yeah, Clark is really slow on the uptake sometimes, isn't he?" I ponder.

"She's a patient woman," he answers.

"A woman in love will wait only so long."

"Hence why I was so late."

"Eh?" I ask, a quizzical look in my face.

Before we are headed out into the country and no lights, he pulls away and comes back, with a small box. I take it from him.

"For me?"

He laughs. "No---it's for the horses up there. After all---they do eat them."

I open it and gasp. "Lex?"

"Well, it does have carets."

I stare at the most amazing ring I have ever seen. Its stone is a light blue in color and it's in a setting of gold that gleams in a street light. It's of medium size---not to over the top. It's perfect---he's perfect---he's waiting for an answer.

I take it out and hand it to him. He frowns at me.

"No?"

"Yes---but you have to put it on."

He smiles and places it on the ring finger and then pulls me in for a kiss.

This man---seen as cutthroat in the business world---never taking prisoners---taking down his father to the point that the father gave up and walked away---this man---this man is the man I love.

This man is a hidden romantic---who always wanted somebody who loved him for him. And I do.

"I love you, Lex."

"I love you too, Chloe," he states, before he kisses me again.

Finally we back away and hear music. The driver has a radio in the seat beside him and it's playing not Christmas music but the starting strings of a very romantic song I recognize.

"You picked this for us, didn't you?" I ask Lex.

"Maybe."

I snuggle close to him as we listen:

"The very thought of you and I forget to do
    The little ordinary things that everyone ought to do
    I'm living in a kind of daydream
    I'm happy as a king
    And foolish though it may seem
    To me that's everything

The mere idea of you, the longing here for you
    You'll never know how slow the moments go till I'm near to you
    I see your face in every flower
    Your eyes in stars above
    It's just the thought of you
    The very thought of you, my love

The mere idea of you, the longing here for you
    You'll never know how slow the moments go till I'm near to you
    I see your face in every flower
    Your eyes in stars above
    It's just the thought of you
    The very thought of you, my love"

~

Back To The Present - Chloe's 24th Year on Earth

"Chloe?"

I open my eyes to the present once more and smile.

"You're late."

He gives me a smirk and sits beside me, pulling me close.

"I'm sorry."

"It's okay," I state, with a smile.

He backs away and looks at my smile. "What's going on---you aren't angry?"

"Nope."

"Why?"

"Because I'm late too."

"Eh?"

He looks at me, questioningly.

"How can you be late if you were here all the time?"

"Lex---I'm late. You know----LATE!"

He stares at me and then it dawns on him. "Really?"

"Yes, Dear. Your Christmas present this Christmas Eve is that you are going to be a Daddy."

His eyes light up and I have to grin even more. This man---who fought against all odds to not be his father---never will be his father. And though he wonders once in a while if he will be, I think that light in his eyes speak out the truth that he never will.

Remembrances of Christmas Eve's past might be enjoyable to remember but right here, right now, is where I want to be, making new memories with my husband, Lex Luthor.

The End.

Spunky Chick Senior Member hfce's Avatar

Re: Remembrances of Christmas Eve's Past (PG-13)

That was just beautiful. I loved it. I love how you went back in time on how they got together. I can't wait for your next installment.
    "Everyone seems normal until you get to know them. "

Thumbs up Re: Remembrances of Christmas Eve's Past (PG-13)

love this story sequel please.....

storie girl Senior Member starmoon's Avatar

Re: Remembrances of Christmas Eve's Past (PG-13) - Complete

very sweet i just love it. i know they will make great parents.

NS Senior Member Senior Member Ami Rose's Avatar

Re: Remembrances of Christmas Eve's Past (PG-13) - Complete

That was very sweet and beautifully written!
    *Coffee Break 9:00 to 5:00 Daily.
    *Heaven doesn't want me and hell is afraid I'll take over.
    *Are you crazy?
    *From zero to insane in 1.5 seconds!
    *If I agree with you, then we'd both be wrong!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information