8 100.00%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 21 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Dreaming the Wolf, R, 10-23-09, Chapter 23 and Epilogue

Fishin' for brains Senior Member Avalanche's Avatar
    In the best state in this here Union, which is of course, Texas

Dreaming the Wolf, R, 10-23-09, Chapter 23 and Epilogue

Title: Dreaming the Wolf

Rating: So far this is going to be PG-13, but that could always change...mainly because I am a rather violent person

Category: Angst

Summary: After the events of Freak, Chloe finds herself changed more than she thought possible. A spin on the classic tale of girl becomes werewolf.

Spoilers: I haven't been actively watching SV for a long time now, so anything goes and I take liberties. This is set after the episode Freak and careens madly and gleefully towards AU.

Disclaimer: If I owned anything, then there would be no need for me to write fanfic or read it.

A/N- So after much needling, harrassing, pain and whining from regular shoutboxers, Eternia has been destroyed. I hope you people are happy!

A/N2- I darn you all (shoutboxers) to the very fiery pits of the skuzziest part of heck! Especially you, skauble!

Prologue

“The wolf changes his coat, but not his disposition.”

The wolf knows no complications. She only knows what she can do and what she cannot. She knows that she can leap over that log with ease. She knows that she can run for yards. She knows that she cannot survive the harsh winter alone. She knows that her survival is in her fangs, her speed, and her cunning. The line between living today and tomorrow was the spray of blood that mists in the wind as it leaves her prey. There can be no room in her for compassion. Her heart beats for her life alone.

This knowledge is in her bones. And will exist until her bones become a fine powder, indistinguishable from the soil under her paws. She feels the wind in fur. And the glorious exertion of muscle and bone as she moves swiftly. She tunes herself to the sounds and smells around her. She hears the scurry of the mice of the field and the rabbits in burrows. She smells the fear of her prey and the clean of the night. That is her reality and she considers nothing else.

The spark that still held the rational mind of Chloe inside the wolf body took a moment to feel the loss of her humanity. But then that spark to feel only the realities of the wolf, which at the moment was the blood scent of the rabbit she was hunting, subsumed her rational mind. Her body was tense. Her focus narrowed to a pin prick. Her desire and need all dedicated. She waited for her time. For when all her hard work would manifest. And there it was. Chloe gave chase and then there was only the crunch of bones and the burst of blood in her mouth. She had won.

Chloe lifted her muzzle to the night sky and howled her triumph. Tonight had been a good night and the part of her that was still human felt disgust. That part vowed that this time would truly be the last time. But in the harsh light of day when fur gave way to skin and the wild gave way to the rational, she knew it to be the lie that it was.

Chapter 1- Heart of the Wolf

By the time Chloe found herself in her apartment, she was panting heavily. The urge to be the wolf was still strong but she knew that she had to sleep at some point. She could control this. At least, that’s what she told her self. Lately it seemed as if she was just fooling herself. Chloe realized that she had waited too long to change. She knew because her dreams had been filled with the hunt and blood and the wolf. The myths, the legends, the hearsay…it was all wrong. She wasn’t chained to the moon. She was chained to her own strength, which offered little comfort since she couldn’t resist.

So here she was. Standing in her restroom and staring at her reflection in the mirror. The green eyes still flecked with gold. The still elongated canines. The ropy muscle of the wolf still evident in her frame. But she could control this. She had to. Chloe suddenly felt a spasm that was strong enough to bow her back. It was all she could do to not let loose a roar of pain. Her hands, still bent and curved with the claws of the wolf, gripped the sink with an inhuman strength. Distantly, she heard the groan as the porcelain cracked under her hands. She felt the jagged edges dig into her flesh and for a moment, Chloe was back in control.

“Easy. Easy. You can do this. It’s not so bad.”

Chloe could barely recognize her own voice. It was guttural and low. Hardly human. And that’s when Chloe decided that she had to tell someone. The only person she could realistically confide in was Clark, but Chloe was reluctant. In all the time that Chloe had known what Clark was, she had never thought of him as an alien…as some thing else. But since her first foray into wolfdom, every time she was around Clark the unmistakable scent of otherness clung to him. He was not of this world. His scent, his heartbeat, his very aura was something wholly wrong and she didn’t know how to deal with that knowledge. She didn’t know how to tame the wolf and only see Clark as she’d always seen him…as her crush, her confidante and her friend.

Clark was something her wolf knew it couldn’t kill. The wolf in her knew that it wouldn’t be able to defend itself against Clark’s superior strength and that terrified the wolf. Her wolf couldn’t stand him and so she was left with a dilemma: to tell the only person who could possibly understand and help her or to stay alone. Neither option was tenable to her. Her instincts, both human and wolf, told her she couldn’t do this alone…but the paranoia was getting to both aspects of her.

“I’m going nuts. It’s the only explanation.”

Chloe did the only thing she could do. She got into the shower and turned the heat as high as she could stand it. As the water pelted her bruised and scratched body, she came to a decision. “I’ll tell him. I’ll tell him tomorrow and we’ll figure out what happened to me. We’ll figure out what Luthor did and I’ll rip him apart myself.”

The last word ended as a sob and a pitiful whine. If Chloe had bothered to glance at the mirror as she left her restroom, she would’ve noticed the gold of her eyes. After drying herself and tending to her evening after shower ablutions, Chloe picked up her phone and dialed familiar numbers. Despite the fact that it was 3AM, she had to call Clark now or she’d chicken out. When he finally picked up the phone, it came as a shock to Chloe that he was fully awake. Maybe he somehow knew that she’d need him. It didn’t really matter though because she still felt uneasy and sick to her stomach at the thought that she’d have to talk to him. The wolf was so close now and it was making its displeasure known.

“Chloe, is something wrong?”

Chloe cleared her throat a few times and finally answered him, “No. Nothing’s wrong. I just need you to meet me tomorrow.”

“Sure. I’ll meet you at the Talon at--“

Chloe interrupted him. “Do you think we could meet at your place? It’s kinda private.”

Clark knew that something was wrong. And Chloe knew that Clark knew something was wrong. It was in the slight change in his voice intonation.

“Chloe, I need to meet Lois.”

Chloe really had no choice. She needed to tell him and if she delayed then she’d lose her resolve. The last thing she wanted right now was for Clark to come charging to her apartment. She couldn’t handle it. “Fine, Clark. I’ll meet you afternoon. Is 2 good for you?”

“Chloe, what’s really—“ For the second time that evening, Chloe found herself interrupting Clark.

“Clark, just meet me tomorrow. Is 2 good for you?” She couldn’t help but put more bite into her words than was called for.

“Sure, Chlo’. I’ll meet you at 2 at the Talon.” He was confused and slightly hurt. His voice told her so, but she couldn’t be moved to care. The wolf was nothing if not heartless.

“Good. See ya then.”

It was with much relief that Chloe hung up her phone. It took all of her willpower not to crush the damned thing in her hand. Five minutes later found Chloe hitting the mattress not as the human, but as the wolf. Despite the fact that it was only a little past 3AM, it was going to be a long night of restless sleep for her. There would be no relief tonight.
    Last edited by Avalanche; 23rd October 2009 at 19:54. Reason: formatting

Re: Dreaming the Wolf, PG-13, 11-20-07

Ooo, I love werewolf stories. And Chloe being one is definitely a twist in SV fandom. Most everyone makes Lex the wolf. I can't wait to read more. It was very well written, and interesting as hell.

looking for updates Senior Member somethingeasy's Avatar

ROTFLMAO! You’re blaming the poor denizens of the shoutbox for this fic? Actually, ‘blame’ is the wrong word… credit! Yes, I happily accept full credit for this lovely new fic

“The wolf changes his coat, but not his disposition.”

The wolf knows no complications. She only knows what she can do and what she cannot. She knows that she can leap over that log with ease. She knows that she can run for yards. She knows that she cannot survive the harsh winter alone. She knows that her survival is in her fangs, her speed, and her cunning. The line between living today and tomorrow was the spray of blood that mists in the wind as it leaves her prey. There can be no room in her for compassion. Her heart beats for her life alone. This knowledge is in her bones. And will exist until her bones become a fine powder, indistinguishable from the soil under her paws. She feels the wind in fur. And the glorious exertion of muscle and bone as she moves swiftly. She tunes herself to the sounds and smells around her. She hears the scurry of the mice of the field and the rabbits in burrows. She smells the fear of her prey and the clean of the night. That is her reality and she considers nothing else.
    I LOVED the beginning of this fic. First of all, I liked the premise of Chloe transforming into a wolf. It’s very different from everyone’s first thought of a SV werewolf story where LEX is the one to transform. This was an excellent, original take on an old cliché of a prmise. Very nice.

The beginning was GORGEOUS! I loved the description of Chloe losing herself in the visceral and rich sensations of being a wolf. It was incredible reading about how she was revelling in her muscles, movements, viciousness, teeth, claws, speed and strength. It was obvious that, more than being a ‘curse’ or a ‘condition’, this was an addiction to Chloe. She ENJOYS the feeling of immersing herself into a body that is run by pure, feral instinct. Magnificent writing, Ava.. I really felt the JOY that Wolf-Chloe feels when she’s transformed.

The spark that still held the rational mind of Chloe inside the wolf body took a moment to feel the loss of her humanity. But then that spark to feel only the realities of the wolf, which at the moment was the blood scent of the rabbit she was hunting, subsumed her rational mind. Her body was tense. Her focus narrowed to a pin prick. Her desire and need all dedicated. She waited for her time. For when all her hard work would manifest. And there it was. Chloe gave chase and then there was only the crunch of bones and the burst of blood in her mouth. She had won. Chloe lifted her muzzle to the night sky and howled her triumph. Tonight had been a good night and the part of her that was still human felt disgust. That part vowed that this time would truly be the last time. But in the harsh light of day when fur gave way to skin and the wild gave way to the rational, she knew it to be the lie that it was.
    heh, it’s very interesting that Chloe still regards her human form as her ‘true self’, when it’s so clear that BOTH of these physical forms are ‘true’… only very different from each other. It was incredible seeing her taking such joyous delight in the hunt and the kill. Human-Chloe has always valued her own passions, and Wolf-Chloe is no less passionate about HER priorities either.

Heh, it’s a pity that, as a human, Chloe finds everything about her wolf-self to be repulsive, dangerous and disgusting, and she’s trying to cut those instincts out of her. If only she can find a way to reconcile both halves of passions, perhaps she might find it easier to live with both of these lives?

She wasn’t chained to the moon. She was chained to her own strength, which offered little comfort since she couldn’t resist. So here she was. Standing in her restroom and staring at her reflection in the mirror. The green eyes still flecked with gold. The still elongated canines. The ropy muscle of the wolf still evident in her frame. But she could control this. She had to. Chloe suddenly felt a spasm that was strong enough to bow her back. It was all she could do to not let loose a roar of pain. Her hands, still bent and curved with the claws of the wolf, gripped the sink with an inhuman strength. Distantly, she heard the groan as the porcelain cracked under her hands. She felt the jagged edges dig into her flesh and for a moment, Chloe was back in control.
    ouch! This whole thing sounded SO painful. Is it like this all the time for her, or only when she’s trying to deny her Wolf half? There is obviously a lot of adjustment and self-negotiating required before Chloe can find balance and peace of mind… but she can’t function with the situation as it is right now.

He was not of this world. His scent, his heartbeat, his very aura was something wholly wrong and she didn’t know how to deal with that knowledge. She didn’t know how to tame the wolf and only see Clark as she’d always seen him…as her crush, her confidante and her friend. Clark was something her wolf knew it couldn’t kill. The wolf in her knew that it wouldn’t be able to defend itself against Clark’s superior strength and that terrified the wolf.
    oh WOW! I LOVED this part. I always thought it was so darned ‘convenient’ that Clark looked like such a beautiful boy when he was in fact NOT a human boy at ALL! That the reason why people could find it so easy to accept this ‘alien living in their midst’ was because this alien looked so human… not only human, but also such a good-looking clichéd version of ‘the boy next door’.

But THIS! I loved how Wolf-Chloe was able to pick up on the fact that Clark is fundamentally different and ‘not of this natural environment’. That she can finally ‘see’ the alieness of him, and be frightened on what he is and everything that the difference represents… I think she’s finally getting a glimpse of what Lex Luthor (SV version as well as canon comics) sees when HE gets so scared and paranoid about ‘alien invasion’ and ‘otherworldly tyrants’ coming in to take over the planet.

Wolf-Chloe sees Clark as a possible threat, something that she would never be able to fight or defend herself against if he ever turned his strength against her. Wow! She and Luthor can have a LOT in common to talk about, LOL!

Chloe did the only thing she could do. She got into the shower and turned the heat as high as she could stand it. As the water pelted her bruised and scratched body, she came to a decision. “I’ll tell him. I’ll tell him tomorrow and we’ll figure out what happened to me. We’ll figure out what Luthor did and I’ll rip him apart myself.”
    LOL! But then again, we must not forget that, underneath the fear, wariness and paranoia, Chloe still trusts and believes in Clark a great deal more than she could ever trust Lex.

Oooh, are we going to get a scene of Chloe ripping into Lex about what he did to her at any point? I’ll settle for either a verbal ripping session, or something literal involving teeth and claws, LOL!

Provided, of course, that he was left able to participate in make-up sex immediately afterwards

Clark knew that something was wrong. And Chloe knew that Clark knew something was wrong. It was in the slight change in his voice intonation.

“Chloe, I need to meet Lois.”
    WHAT?! One of your best friends is calling you up at 3am begging you to meet with her, and you say you have… what? …a DATE with her cousin? What the heck is he doing meeting with Lois at 3am anyway?

Oh well, I’m going to hold out hope that there was a genuinely good reason for Clark to blow off Chloe during her hour of need. I really, REALLY hope there was. I don’t like not being able to ‘like’ Clark when he behaves like a selfish, self-absorbed ass in SV and SV fanfic.

Excellent start to a very intriguing and beautifully written fic, Ava. Wonderful work, and I am SO glad that we pushed you into posting this up. I look forward to seeing how future chapters come through. Please update soon.

An Accused Heretic Senior Member Kit Merlot's Avatar

This is an excellent beginning, and I can't wait for more, but I have a question about this line:

So after much needling, harrassing, pain and whining from regular shoutboxers, Eternia has been destroyed.
    When you say Eternia, are you referring to the underground city in the Llantano Mountains on One Life to Live? That was one of my favorite soap storylines. Or is it something completely different?
    KATHY

"Don't quote me to me!" Detective Danny "Danno" WIlliams, Hawaii Five-0, episode 1.8 Mana'o

"This could barely fill up Thumbelina!" SALIGIA by westwingwolf

My Fanfic Master List

My livejournal: An Accused Heretic

Quote Originally Posted by Kit Merlot
    When you say Eternia, are you referring to the underground city in the Llantano Mountains on One Life to Live? That was one of my favorite soap storylines. Or is it something completely different?
    It's something completely different. So He-Man's alter ego is Prince Erik of Eternia. And I said that that is a terrible name for a city simply because it's like this huge neon sign to villains. If I were Skeletor or any villain I'd be like "Oh really? Eternia? All forces attack that one point!" So if anyone says something like "you'll never be able to get me to do', I say "You have named your city Eternia"...it's my way of saying the guantlet has been thrown. I threw the guantlet and they (shoutboxers) pounced like a pride of hungry lions on a wounded gazelle (me).

An Accused Heretic Senior Member Kit Merlot's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Avalanche View Post
    It's something completely different. So He-Man's alter ego is Prince Erik of Eternia. And I said that that is a terrible name for a city simply because it's like this huge neon sign to villains. If I were Skeletor or any villain I'd be like "Oh really? Eternia? All forces attack that one point!" So if anyone says something like "you'll never be able to get me to do', I say "You have named your city Eternia"...it's my way of saying the guantlet has been thrown. I threw the guantlet and they (shoutboxers) pounced like a pride of hungry lions on a wounded gazelle (me).

I understand now--thanks for the explanation. The Shout Box sounds like a pretty dangerous place....
    KATHY

"Don't quote me to me!" Detective Danny "Danno" WIlliams, Hawaii Five-0, episode 1.8 Mana'o

"This could barely fill up Thumbelina!" SALIGIA by westwingwolf

My Fanfic Master List

My livejournal: An Accused Heretic

Quote Originally Posted by Kit Merlot
    I understand now--thanks for the explanation. The Shout Box sounds like a pretty dangerous place....
    Heh. No problem, even the shouters let a big "what?!" when I first said made that reference. And yes, the shoutbox is a danger of the highest kind, but it's hilarious and you should shout with us.

Spunky Chick Senior Member hfce's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kit Merlot View Post
    This is an excellent beginning, and I can't wait for more, but I have a question about this line:

Oh my God that is what I was thinking to. I loved that story on One Life to Live.

This is an interesting start to the fic. I can't wait to see what you come up with next and how Lex fits into this.
    "Everyone seems normal until you get to know them. "

wow, what an exciting twist. Dagney

I absolutely love werewolf and vampire stories, and I also really love that Chloe is the werewolf and not Lex.

The beginning was amazing and wonderfully written...I'm so excited to read more...I really intrested to find out how Chloe became a werewolf.

Please update again soon!!!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information