+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Mistake (R/NC-17 start ch 14)

looking for updates Senior Member somethingeasy's Avatar

Re: The Mistake (R for adult situations) updated 8/1/07

This was a lovely chapter. Hee hee, I guessed right, it WAS indeed a boy. I really enjoyed the bonding going on between Julian and Lex now. And I appreciated how Lex stocked up on all kinds of baby supplies, toys and furniture even before he was absolutely sure that the baby was his offspring. He was ready to commit from the very start, he just needed the little nudge to get him to start spending some quality time with his son.

I also liked finding out that the reason Lex had delegated his son’s initial care to his staff was not (only) because he was wary of forming an emotional attachment to ‘Child X’, but also because he didn’t want to ‘taint’ the child with his ‘Luthorness’. Oh, and by the way, I got shivers down my spine from the thought of some cold, callous, heartless mother keeping her child named ‘X’ for the first three months of his life. The poor boy! I hope to heaven that he doesn’t remember any of this, because he’s going to have serious abandonment issues. Hopefully Lex will make up for whatever loneliness and neglect the child suffered during the first few months after being born. I really liked how Lex was willing to stay up all night just ‘holding’ the child because it wanted some attention. That’s beautiful.

I thought it was cute that Lex approached Martha and Jonathan for help on raising the kid. It figures that he would desperately latch onto them as his ‘model parents’ to help train him while he’s adjusting into a father role. LOL at the thought of Lex tackling fatherhood like one of his business training programs… find the model to follow, hire some consultants, attend lectures to learn how to follow the model as efficiently as possible.

My son, my responsibility, mine to screw up.
    This line really hit me hard, and it struck me as typical ‘Lex think’ in the sense that he would immediately think that that being Lex’s son and being a Luthor would be enough to guarantee that Julian would be screwed. I hope that Lex gains a little more confidence in his skills as a father…. Otherwise his fears will lead him to making mistakes, like a self-fulfilling prophecy.

Dealing w/ a Ship Change Senior Member

Re: The Mistake (R for adult situations) updated 8/1/07

A/N - Ok, my muse is back and I feel like updating this fic. I love this story - hope you do to. Disclaimer in first post. Still pretty tame but will intensify.

The Investigative Reporter’s Inquest – Chapter 6

Chloe walked loudly down the hall to the office of the mansion and met Lex halfway down the hall telling her to hush. “Sorry, I haven’t exactly been around a lot of babies.”

As they continued back into the office, Lex leaned over and whispered, “Oh yeah, and this happens to me all the time.” She sat down on the couch and observed Lex. He had the same pressed pants but what looked like an older pullover shirt on. Looking around the room, she noticed that the piano had been pushed further in the corner and a very expensive playpen had been set up.

“Where did you get it?” she asked pointing at the playpen.

“From the basement; it was mine. As for my father’s incessant need to get rid of everything that reminded him of Julian, the baby items never got thrown away – just packed away out of sight. Carmen was down in the basement looking for something and noticed the old highchair and started digging. Anyway,” Lex turned and gently put his hand on her arm. “What have you found out?”

“Not much since you basically gave me nothing to go on. How about we start with what I have found out and then you can answer some questions. And Lex,” she glared at him with a suspect look, “you can’t feed me a bunch of crap and expect for me to help you – so just answer the questions. Ok?”

“As long as these things are kept between us – this isn’t an article, not yet. What do you have?” She watched as Lex took a deep breath and waited.

“One question that will help me in my search – and remember you said you will answer.” She paused for him to back out of his promise. “If you can remember their names, who have you…you know…had relations with like the last 10-14 months ago?”

Lex leaned back on the couch and bit his lip as a half smile came across his face. “First, are you having an issue with the word sex? I didn’t think there was anything that could embarrass you but apparently I was wrong. And now I know your Achilles Heel, besides Clark of course.” He stopped when Chloe’s face became more angry and irritated. Seeing her pull her purse close to her and start shoving her pad back in her it, he grabbed her hand and stopped her.

“Look, I told you my terms for helping you – as much as you are evidently doing a good job as a father, I’m not putting up with this typical Luthor escapade. Either you’re straight with me or I leave. I already have my story and I could use it to bury you – you know that.” She finished and ripped her hand out from under his.

Backing up on the couch, he spoke softly, “I’m sorry.” She slowly pulled the pad out of her purse again and sat back. “No personal judgments please. Here goes - Shannon Bell – she’s in a mental health facility for that little attempt on my life, Eve Andrews – she’s dead, Gabrielle Vaughn – my physician but I’ve seen her since and she was never,”

“Wait – your doctor? Are you kidding me? No offense but if you contract anything,” Chloe stopped at the obvious irritation she had caused. “Ok, no judgments. Go on.” Chloe couldn’t believe that she was about to leave her first hand in counting his escapades, and he was only supposed to be counting four months.

“Leandra Michaels – I met her at a dinner and haven’t seen her since – she didn’t even want the money, just the, never mind, and Catherine James – she was an intern and…” Lex trailed off.

Chloe watched his expression change and knew he head pinpointed the moment it happened. “Lex? What about her?”

“She was an intern in my father’s attorney pool, and I was using her for information. It was more for payment and comfort I guess. I felt like a little part of me was getting back at him. She fed me information to use against him in his trial – things his lawyers weren’t surrendering as evidence etc. Anyway, she disappeared a few months after I put you in hiding and never heard from her again.” Chloe watched as Lex moved across the room and tucked the blanket around Julian and turned back around with his eyes closed. “She was scared the last time I talked to her.”

“How long ago was that?”

Lex thought and rubbed his forehead. Chloe observed as Lex paced and counted back mentally when their last fated day had been. “Seven months ago. She just said she was leaving. What’s funny is that was the first person that I actually had any interest in a long time, at least past the physical. And she knew exactly why we were together and didn’t care. She’s got to be it.”

Chloe walked over and looked at Julian. Almost whispering, “Are you sure?” She waited as he turned and looked at Julian again.

“Yes.” Chloe took his hand and led him to the couch.

“My turn.” Sitting down on the couch, he took a deep breath. “I found out that the card that she wrote the note on is only available at this stationary store in Central City. After some prodding, the manager looked up the buy and said the woman only bought one card and envelope. Here’s the signature of the purchase.” Chloe handed the copy of the handwritten receipt to him as he traced his fingers over the completely unreadable signature. “Lex, that card was bought on the day your father died. I have a strange feeling that her being pregnant may not have been the only reason that she left.”

She watched as Lex paced in the office, him either eyeing the signature or his bar. He turned and looked at her. “Amazing how everything I get involved in goes so badly. I failed at hiding you, I failed at staying friends with Clark, and now Catherine.” Chloe got up and walked over to him.

“Look, you don’t know that. I mean, Julian’s here, and there’s proof of her signature – she could still be out there and regardless of what she said, your father is gone and you two could,”

“What? Become a happy little family?” Lex turned and took Chloe by the shoulders. “Have you met me?” he smirked.

“Seriously, we should at least try to find her.” Lex exhaled and let go of Chloe and leaned on the playpen, looking at Julian. He felt Chloe walk up and lean against him. “If we find a dead end, at least you tried. I have never known you to give up on anything. Two days ago you were paying people to look for her and now you just quit?”

“Two days ago I didn’t realize that my father probably had a hand in her disappearance. My looking for her could put her in more danger.”

Chloe reversed Lex’s role and grabbed him by the arms, “Look, your father is dead. You saw him die – you watched him take his last breath from the other side of a prison cell, you had his DNA checked to make sure it was him and not some incredible imposter. His chief minion mysteriously ended up committing suicide in Suicide Slums three days ago and rest of his league of villainous friends have taken to running. So, I think if you look for her now, she’ll be ok.” Chloe let go of him, somewhat pushing him back as a jolt. Grabbing her purse, she headed for the office door, “I’m going to find her. She at least deserves to know that what she wanted for Julian is happening.”

“Chloe.” Turning around, she waited. “Hang on, I need to get the nanny in here and we’ll go.” Chloe stopped in her tracks. She sat back down on the couch and waited as Lex made a phone call. After speaking to the nanny, he picked up his coat and tapped Chloe on the shoulder. “Have you ever been in a private jet?”

There Was an Old Woman – Chapter 7

Chloe gazed out the window while Lex continued to stare at the signature from the store that Catherine had visited. He wasn’t quite sure how this one little piece of paper was going to get them anywhere, but he had nothing to lose. Besides, he thought, Chloe was with him and that was the most adult comfort he had in a long time. He stared out at the clouds racing by and unconsciously put his hand on Chloe’s knee. Slightly jumping, she noticed his grip tighten when the plane hit a patch of turbulence. She thought about speaking but saw his concentration somewhere else. She leaned back in the chair and closed her eyes as he continued to lightly tap his thumb nervously on her thigh. She gulped down the fire building in her from his touch. This is business and he’s looking for another woman and I don’t even like him, she tried to convince herself.

Chloe followed Lex into the small store that she had been just a couple of days ago. Lex walked up to the counter and laid the small receipt down. “Excuse me, I need to know if you remember the woman that bought this. What did she look like?”

The older woman stared at him in awe, curling up her lip partially disgruntled. Looking back down at the receipt, she noticed a crisp one hundred dollar bill slipped under it. “Take that back,” she stated as she tossed his money back. “Come.” She motioned for the two to follow her to behind the building. “Your friend here only asked about the card, so I didn’t think anything of it. However, if you’re looking for her, there’s obviously more to it.” The woman stuck a key in a door on the outside of the back of her building. “Here. Maybe you can find out when she’s going to pay her rent too.”

“How much does she owe?” Lex pulled his wallet out and looked at the woman.

“You wouldn’t have enough.” The old woman nodded her head, turned up her nose, and waved in disgust.

“Try me.”

“Five months rent and midwife – try $5000. I’m about to lose my store and that little woman promised payment. Said she had a rich boyfriend – guess you’re here. Too little – too late. She left me a note, which I don’t know and frankly don’t care about. Especially if she was in cahoots with you – I wish you and your father would just stay the hell out of Central City. We got enough problems without you rich boys making more trouble.”

Lex handed her a check for $10000 and watched her mouth drop open. “I assure you that won’t bounce. And you never saw us here. What did you mean by my father? I assure you I have very rarely been here except for an occasional business meeting.”

The woman held the check up to the sky and checked the watermark before shoving it her pocket. She walked back over and went into the small apartment. “I mean his little weird workers came around three months ago and trashed the place while she was atmy place, in labor. We got back a couple days later and that was on the wall.” The woman pointed at the living room wall, which Chloe was already gawking at.

'Hush little baby, don’t say a word
    Papa’s going to buy you a mockingbird
    And if that mockingbird don’t sing
    Papa’s going to buy you a diamond ring…

As Lex continued reading he felt Chloe’s hand grasp his and he put his arm around her.

… And if that horse and cart fall down,
    He’ll still be the deadest little baby in town.'

Chloe gulped as she felt Lex tighten his grip around her and suddenly let go. “Have they been back?”

“She hasn’t been here since that day. She took that child and left but gave me this.” She leaned over and pulled a piece of paper out of her sock and handed it to Lex. “I didn’t trust them so I kept it on me. No one hit my house – guess his expensive staff didn’t want to mess with an old woman, a rifle, and a pit bull.” The old woman laughed as she slapped Lex in the shoulder. “She showed up the day of your dad’s so unfortunate demise, good freaking riddance I say, and bought the card. That’s it. Here, you lock up.” The woman handed Chloe the lock and key and left.

Lex looked at Chloe and opened the paper. Reading the scratched print, he looked at Chloe who was now digging though the mess on the floor. “What’s it say?”

“It’s random, but if she left it with that woman it meant something. ‘On the coast of somewhere beautiful.’ What do you make of it?”

Chloe read through the stack of papers and flipped though a couple of books as Lex started going through the drawers of the chest. Picking up a picture, he stared at it sadly. Chloe looked over his shoulder and at him. “She was smart and inquisitive, we actually talked.” He took a big sigh and handed the picture to Chloe.

Chloe stared at the picture of the young woman with a swollen belly on the beach, holding shells in her hand and attempting to smile. She looked somewhat sad. It was dated four months earlier. The woman had a simple complexion and shoulder length sandy blonde hair. She glanced at Lex quizzically while he continued around the small apartment. She felt a small fire building inside of her, realizing the strange resemblance. Refocusing her thoughts, she looked at the background of the picture, seeing a sign in on the left side. “Lex, what’s that say in the background?”

Lex took the picture back and squinted. “You think you have something that might enlarge it a little?”

“We can try; let’s go.” He looked around the dank apartment that he had led the woman to live in and closed the door behind them. Locking the door, he looked almost sad. Chloe took him by the arm, “We’ll find her.” The two walked back though the store and thanked the old woman one more time.

TBC

Re: The Mistake (R for adult situations) updated 8/5/07

This was an excellent update. I really enjoyed how Chloe and Lex are working together finding the pieces of this mystery and putting them together to form a coherent whole picture. I suppose I shouldn’t have been surprised that things are progressing to quickly, but it honestly seems like this woman didn’t bother covering her tracks at all. Chloe and Lex already seem to be within of hair-breadth of finding her.

Heh, I liked the part where Chloe covered over all the women that Lex has slept with during the time of Julian’s conception. Heavens! He’s quite a man-slut, isn’t he? Hmph, it was rather foolish of him to be taking pot-shots at Chloe right then… he should have known better than to have pissed her off when he needed her help. I’m glad that she stood up for herself, and forced him to apologize for his snideness.

That was quite an impressive list of women, but I liked how Chloe’s coaxing and a little retracing of his memory was able to bring up the correct name and association. AND it seems like this woman wasn’t one of those nasty, vapid, society witches… this chapter gave the impression of her being a sweet, naïve young girl, who just happened to get involved and impregnated by the wrong man. Poor thing.

It was an interesting assumption that Lionel was the one who pressured the girl to go into hiding during the pregnancy, but it seems to fit the circumstances. I like the way the clues came together.

The poem was super-creepy… and it was the PERFECT way to warn a frightened mother to keep her mouth shut. Very nicely done.

“She was smart and inquisitive, we actually talked.” He took a big sigh and handed the picture to Chloe.
    I found this to be a poignant moment in the fic. It was beautiful and tragic. I can see that Lex had genuine fondness and affection for this young lady, and something good and permanent could have come out of their relationship, if only Lionel hadn’t interfered.

Why DID he interfere? Why did Lionel not approve of this pregnancy, and why did he try to keep Lex away from this woman carrying the latest Luthor? Pure spite? Or did he think this woman to be ‘unsuitable’ in some way to be the mother to his legitimate grandchild?

I know it’s a Chlex fic, but now I really feel like the RIGHT thing to do would be for Lex to try and make things work with this woman rather than getting together with Chloe.

Excellent update, and I look forward to seeing how future chapters turn out.

NS Senior Member Senior Member lj715's Avatar

Great update.

A/N - trying to finish updates before school starts....PLease keep reviewing...I love it!

Getting in Deeper– Chapter 8

Lex sat in silence on the entire trip back to Metropolis. From the moment he was in the apartment and seeing what Catherine looked like and reminded him of, he realized why he had tried to keep Lana at bay. He wasn’t wanting to be alone; he just wanted something more. He knew now Catherine was Chloe all grown up.

Chloe watched as he continued to stare at the picture. She wondered what he could be thinking. Apparently she couldn’t hide what her thoughts were. “You know you can ask instead of trying to guess.”

Chloe sat and smiled, not saying anything. Looking out the window, he gently spoke, “For years I dated, screwed over women that reminded me of my mother. People thought I never noticed the resemblances of my dates to her, but I’m not that blind. Just Freud’s best subject.” Lex somewhat smirked as he looked at Chloe. “Then I, out of what I thought was necessity, started charming Catherine and found that I may have been chasing the wrong type all along. I found out that I liked the challenge that she was. Trade this touch for that tidbit of information.” He stopped and got up from the chair across the aisle from Chloe. She watched as he opened two waters and sat down in the chair directly across from her. “Her banter and argument reminded me of you; she was just older and little better at it I guess from her law school training. But I never pictured her making it in that cutthroat world. If my father could break her that easily.” Lex paused and covered his mouth in disgust.

One of the last times she had talked to him, she told him the small slip up during her and her mentor attorney's interview. Lionel had been under treatment for his liver and was admittingly woosy and very unlike himself, talking in almost incoherent sentences. She heard him slip; his attorney ignored it, blaming it on the drugs. His story in his state had changed from the tale of his parents dying in the tenement fire to his arranging it. She had immediately passed the tidbit onto Lex and subsequetly put herself into position to testify against her mentor's client. The day she was sent to Lionel alone, he calmly retraced his steps and casually mentioned how her future would be 'taken care of.'

He sat and stared out the window. His heart raced; his father had learned about the pregnancy and was either going to take care of killing her or wait and kill Julian to punish him.

“Lex, you…”

Cutting her off, “I’m sorry Chloe,” he closed his eyes and nodded in frustration. “I’m sorry for almost getting you killed. I’m sorry for keeping you from your family and friends.” Setting his water down, he took a single one of her hands and held it. She watched as his sad yet emotionless gaze met hers and then moved to watch the fingers of his other hand graze over her hand. She could just feel the sparks from his light touch. Taking a deep breath, he choked out, “I’m mostly sorry about avoiding you out of fear for you. I never hated you, but I knew what my father…”

Chloe rubbed the palm of her hand along his jaw gently, “I know. It was easier to hate you than miss you too.” Lex dipped his head but Chloe still caught the smile. “Lex, you know I’m not your dad or a client – you can smile in front of me. Or laugh, or cry.” She again touched his jaw and lifted his head up to look at her. Leaning into him, she balanced her forehead against his and smiled back even bigger. She suddenly felt flush and dropped her hand from his face, moving back slightly.

Lex returned the gesture, gently caressing her cheek and jaw in his hand. He could feel her skin warm to his touch and he closed his eyes, trying to keep his composure. He moved his hand around to the nape of her neck and pulled her closer. Chloe didn’t hesitate to close her eyes and take a deep breath as she could feel his warm breath preceding his lips.

“Sir, we’re about to land,” the pilot said over the intercom. Chloe sat up quickly, thinking someone had come into the cabin. Lex let go of her and turned back to the window. Closing his eyes, he bit slightly on his thumb before buckling his seatbelt.

Chloe tried to catch her breath. She couldn’t think – she couldn’t speak – she couldn’t react. She did up her seatbelt and looked around the plane and then at Lex, who was now looking straight at her. “Apparently the apologies are to continue,” he said trying a half laugh. Chloe opened her mouth to respond, but Lex cut her off. “No, don’t; it was just a moment of weakness.”

Chloe sat confused and flushed, but then had a slight smile that Lex didn’t even notice. She realized all those interviews, all those judo matches, all those meetings about his father. I’m your weakness Lex Luthor; I always have been.

Chloe and Lex walked into the Daily Planet as everyone stopped. Leaning over, he whispered, “I don’t think this was a scene they were expecting today.” Chloe didn’t return a comment but sat down at her desk. Putting the picture up on the scanner, she waited as the photo blew up larger. Lex pulled an errant chair up beside her and glared at the photo. “Is that the best?”

“No, we can get it bigger and then try to look up the location. You have no idea where she might have gone. She ever mention a relative that lived on the coast?” Chloe turned around to see him shake his head no. She continued cropping and enlarging the photo shot of the sign as Lex answered his phone.

“Hello?...Just turn on the CD that’s in the player in his room – I found that particular one soothes him…I need you to stay, I’m in the middle of something…Thank you.” Lex hung up the phone and turned back to the computer.

“You can go if you need to.”

“No, we’re going to get this taken care of,” he stated vapidly while putting his hand on Chloe’s shoulder. Chloe glanced up and gently smiled at him, feeling his grip tighten in response to her smile. “What does that say?” The two leaned closer to the screen and tried to read the pixilated words. “Hunting Island?”

Chloe pulled up a search engine and typed in the name. Clicking on the first couple of names that came up, she finally found the answer. “She either was or is in South Carolina.” Chloe turned around and looked at Lex. “What do you want to do?”

Lex leaned back in the chair and looked up over her head, “Not tell him what we’re doing.”

Chloe looked up and saw Clark smirking at the two of them as Lex finally remembered to release his hand from Chloe’s shoulder. “Clark, what a surprise to see you in Metropolis today, a school day.” Chloe glared at him, hoping he would realize that both he and Lex needed to come up with real good excuses real quick for being there.

“So what are you doing in Metropolis Clark?” Clark crossed his arms in disgust at the tone that Lex took with him.

“If you must know, I was going to make a delivery to your home and suddenly my mother chimed in and said she would be happy to go instead and my father went with her. To your home. Seeing that kind of strange, I drove out here to see of Chloe knew why my parents suddenly went crazy on me. Your turn.”

“I’ll have to thank your parents for dropping in. I’m sure they will find everything in order, and there’s no reason to suspect anything. As for me,” Lex paused as Chloe clicked a folder and opened one of her school papers. He somewhat smiled at what he saw. “I’m her helping Chloe on her history paper on Alexander the Great.”

“Your namesake, how surprising, but I don’t picture Chloe writing on such topics.” Clark pulled up a chair and sat down. This conversation was going nowhere and Chloe could tell that Lex was ready to leave.

“Clark, you don’t know everything about me.” She turned the screen around so that Clark could see the actual paper. She quickly turned it back around, knowing she had minimized the search on Hunting Island. “I am really on a school deadline here – can we meet some other time after you call first?”

Lex sat back and smirked, remembering that being his line for Clark. Feeling empowered by Chloe’s defensive remark, he added, “By the way, how is that doctorial thesis on the caves going? What is this - a couple of years now?” Chloe looked at him and shook her head. She tried not to laugh but knew that Lex had hit a nerve. She felt strange being in between the two. For years she had nothing but eyes for Clark but had learned some new things about Lex in the last few days that made her rethink her relationship to each.

“Clark, he didn’t mean it.” She motioned for Lex to wait as Clark pushed the chair back under the empty desk and walked off. Chloe followed him and turned him around. Lex watched as she seemed to put him in his place. “He’s helping me with school. That’s it.” She hated lying to him, but after all the lies that she had to come with for Clark, one for Lex wasn’t bad.

“Come on. There’s more going on. And the thing with my mom.”

“Clark, go home and talk to your folks about their jaunt to the Luthor mansion. I’m sure it’s nothing. They needed to ride into town and your father just went to save an extra trip or something. I will talk to you soon. And Lex, I can handle him. Don’t worry.” Chloe walked him up the stairs and to the elevator. Walking back to her desk, she sighed and looked at Lex.

“Everything ok?”

“As awkward as ever. He thinks he has to rescue everyone.”

“Yeah, from me apparently. Let’s get this and get going. I would really like to be back and have this resolved.” Lex picked up Chloe’s jacket and helped her into it while the rest of the newsroom watched. They walked up and disappeared into the elevator as the editor peeked out of his window that looked down on the main levels of the Planet.

On the Coast of Somewhere Beautiful – Chapter 9

The two had virtually spoken not two words to each other the entire trip out to South Carolina. Just passing glances and stares. Chloe watched as Lex continued researching the island that they were headed to. Occasionally, she could feel his stare penetrate her as she watched the world go by below the clouds.

“We’re preparing to land.” Lex leaned over and closed his laptop. Leaning back in the chair, he sighed. “I didn’t mean for you to lie to Clark today.”

“It’s ok, after all the times he’s done things to me, he had it coming.” Chloe halfway smiled and somewhat jumped at the plane hitting the ground. “That was kind of a rough landing.”

“Well, landing on a private airstrip is usually not maintained as well.” Lex got up and grabbed his things, “Let’s go check out Catherine’s place.” Chloe took his hand and felt another spark. It wasn’t the time or the place to feel it – they were on assignment of sorts and if he found her – she would be all but forgotten anyway.

At the bottom of the stairs, a man from the island met them. “I have heard that you have information for me on this woman.” Lex handed the man the picture as he pointed them in the direction of a car. Entering the car, the man sat back.

“She came to us and moved in about four months ago. She paid cash for her stay up to nine months. We haven’t seen her around lately though. She stayed some time while she was obviously ready to give birth. She returned with a baby and had us set up a nursery for it but never spoke about it. We are under the impression that she left a week and half ago. We haven’t seen her since; at least she hasn’t needed anything from us. That’s it. I’m sorry I can’t help you anymore.”

“So you don’t know if she could be there or not?”

“No sir. From the few people on the beach, they said they haven’t seen any activity from that particular house in the month. Here are the keys.” The manager of the properties handed Lex the keys and exited the car at the real estate office. “Please just let us know if you need anything or when you are ready to leave.”

Lex shook his head as the manager closed the car door. The driver continued down the small path and stopped at the end of the driveway. Chloe and Lex looked at each other and knew it was time to find out the truth. Opening the door, Lex helped her out of the car and looked at the two bedroom beach house that his son had lived in for the first three months of his life. “Here goes nothing,” Chloe broke the silence.

The two walked up the steps of the house and watched the car pull away from the driveway. Lex set their two bags down. He had taken Chloe by Lois’ to pick up some things in case they didn’t make it back in time for nightfall. Chloe had secretly adjusted her thoughts when he suggested that they may have to spend the night together. She sighed in relief when she found that the beach house was two bedrooms.

Lex opened the door and looked around. It was the typical beach house with some nautical decorations adorning the walls. He passed through the living room and found the nursery that was still set up in a dining room. Chloe followed him in and looked at the pictures on the wall. Catherine and his son on the beach. It was something that Lex had never pictured seeing. She was peaceful. Closing his eyes, Chloe observed a soft smile creep across his face as he thought of being there with her.

Leaving the room, Chloe sat down on the couch and was sure if he found her that anything she had started feeling for him would be defeated. “What happened to you?” he asked coming back into the room.

“I just thought you needed a moment.” She looked at him and noticed all the pictures from the wall were in his hand. Taking them from his hands, she put them in his bag. She watched him walk into the kitchen and fumble through the drawers and cabinets. Nothing, except for the typical kitchen utensils and a couple of ready to eat meals. The place was so perfectly clean.

Lex walked into the bedroom that opened to the beach. He went through all the drawers and closets to no avail. There was no sign of her. The trail was dead cold. “Find anything?”

“A few dresses, bar of soap. That’s it. Everything else is gone; there’s no sign any one was here lately.” He walked out on the balcony and gripped the handrail, shifting his weight forward and back in frustration. Chloe walked up behind him and rubbed her hand down his back to comfort him. Not directly talking to her, he went on, “I was sure she wanted me to find her. Why would someone leave all the clues and the card if they didn’t want to be found?”

“Maybe she changed her mind.” Chloe looked into his eyes. He was confused. “Lex, maybe we should just let it drop. I know I led you on this chase, but maybe she was right and just wanted you to give your son a better life.”

Lex shifted his weight quickly from her, almost angrily. Raising his voice, “Ok, then explain how someone who supposedly wants to give her child up to me because I can give him a better life, so she thinks, can afford to pay for a place like this. Chloe, this place runs a cool 2000 a week. She paid for nine months. She wasn’t exactly without means.”

“Ok, let’s try this from another angle. What did you find out when you got her bank files?”

Lex walked back through the bedroom and into the living room. Turning on the computer, he sat back and let Chloe obviously do what she was best at. She could break into his computer; he knew she was better at hacking into some bank records. He paced the floor of the living room and waited. Chloe tried to calm him by explaining that things take time, and he needed to calm down. She wasn’t used to this. Clark was the person that had ever been around when Lex lost it; she was almost afraid if she didn’t find something, what he would do to her.

She watched as he disappeared back into the bedroom, obviously to vent silently to himself instead of continuing the scene in front of her. “Damn it,” she said softly as she was continually locked out of the bank system. She continued trying her software program that she had hijacked from a computer friend, but it didn’t work. The bank was covering their track quickly and as soon as she broke a code, it changed.

Lex leaned back on the banister and looked lazily inside the house, trying to figure what could have happened to her in just a week. Looking in the reflection of the sliding glass door, something caught his attention. A figure coming out of the corner of the reflection of the glass. He could tell she had stopped, noticing him. Lex didn’t turn around; he was afraid she would run. “Chloe, I’m going downstairs,” he called to the other room.

She heard him call her name but had no idea what he had said after that, so she walked into the bedroom. She went out on the balcony and saw his coat lying on a lone chair. Looking out over the banister, she watched as he descended the stairs. She finally noticed the woman at the other end of the beach, who was now walking away. Catherine. Her blonde hair and long flowing skirt blew in the wind as she turned away when she saw Lex.

Chloe descended the stairs and followed suit without Lex noticing her. The sand was incredibly thick in parts and she opted to lose her shoes. She briefly realized how difficult this was for Lex to move in his clothing. Looking up, Lex was running after the woman who was now plodding on the hard padded sand, but he was catching up to her quickly.

“Catherine, stop!” He called out to her as the woman insisted on running. Reaching out, he almost had her skirt tail.

Turning her head slightly, “You were supposed to leave me alone; that’s all I asked of you.” She turned back around just to feel arms grab her around the body and immobilize her.

“Stop. Just tell me why it has to be this way. I just came here to help – you wouldn’t leave the trail if you didn’t want the help.” Lex was fighting her movements with all of his strength. She continued to flail her arms and feet every time he picked her off the ground.

“What trail? I tried to disappear but you’re so damn insistent in making sure you know every detail about everything, you couldn’t just resist. I wanted him to have a good life and,” she stopped moving and Lex let her go, hoping he would never have to run like that again.

Leaning over and balancing his hands on his knees he panted, “And what?”

“To be left alone.” She turned and now walked slowly up the beach, coughing and panting, as Chloe continued to now slowly plod up the wet sand.

Stopping where Lex was Chloe breathed, “I need your exercise regime.” Lex motioned for her to follow him. They slowly stood up and followed Catherine. Catching up to her, they wanted to both know why the disappearing act.

“Here’s your answer. I wanted our son to be safe and happy. At first, I was going to keep him here with me. It was peaceful but too expensive. Your father had told me in no uncertain terms that I was going to die because he knew I was feeding you information. When I found out I was pregnant, I tried to avoid you and your father in the courtrooms, but they sent me to see him once for the internship. You and I hadn’t spoken for a month of that time and found it not an issue; you had moved on to someone else. When I got there, though, he had pictures of my sonogram.” She stopped and turned to face the two.

“I was terrified. He told me he knew it was yours, and after your family’s strange past and your father’s obvious anger, I disappeared. I decided that you would never know out of fear for our son’s life. My life. You could handle your father, but I was just a student.” She started walking again as Lex and Chloe looked at each other. Chloe started feeling like this was a little personal.

“I’m going to head back,” Chloe said as she patted Lex on the back and walked away. Catherine and Lex looked at each other, knowing why she was leaving.

“But why leave him with me now? My father’s dead, and no one’s going to be looking for you. I’m thrilled and sometimes scared that I’m a father, but you can be with us now.”

Catherine took his hand in hers and continued down the beach. “No, I can’t. I can’t do this to you and …”

“Julian.”

“Of course, Julian.” She turned and looked at him. She had fallen in love with him during their few months together. She knew he had used her, but she had fallen for his charm nonetheless. Money never had anything to do with it; they had commonalities that made them match. Her parents had passed in her teenage years, and her grandmother had raised her in Central City until she got frustrated with Luthor politics and sent her to the family summer home. She asked him not to look for her, but he did. This would just make it harder, especially knowing his background.

“Do what?” Lex stopped her and looked down into her eyes. Running the back of his hand down her face, he felt a tear hit it. Leaning in closer, “What?”

She closed her eyes and bit her lip. She nodded and looked up over his shoulder. “Look, the views better from up there.” Lex shook his head and let the issue drop momentarily. Following her slowly up the winding stairs, he almost became dizzy after the impromptu jog from earlier. Opening the door, she spun around on the small platform. “It’s beautiful up here. I come here every night.”

“I think it’s actually closed.”

Walking around to the side, she leaned over and said, “My great uncle is the ranger. I have the key to lock up when we leave.” She walked around the platform of the lighthouse as Lex stood and watched. He was torn. It had been so long since he had seen her and yet there was still the hint of attraction. But every other time he seemed to glance at her, he thought of the other vivacious woman back at the beach house. “I know what you’re thinking.”

“What?” He halfway smiled.

“You’re thinking about what we could have been if your father hadn’t screwed up your life yet again.”

“Maybe.” She loved how he lowered his head and just looked up with his eyes; she thought she wouldn’t make it through the conversation. Reaching out, she took one of his hands in hers.

“But then again, you keep glancing back in the direction of the house.” Lex’s head popped up at her observation. “Don’t give me that ‘not me’ look. I can read you.” Swaying her hand in his, she kept on, “You don’t love her, maybe not yet. But you will.”

She let go of his hand and leaned up against the rail. “Lex, I saw the way you looked at her in the courtroom when she was on the stand. There was more than an appreciation for her helping with your father. I know she was too young then, and I know that you have changed, grown up maybe. But you and she belong together; I can see it in your eyes.”

“I think you’re confused. I came back for you.” Lex pulled her into him. She pushed away from him and grabbed the hand rail, frustrated.

“No.” She was crying now, and Lex couldn’t look at her for fear he would too. She stood and watched the water for a few minutes and then whispered over the surf, “You need her – she completes you. She will keep you from becoming your father.” She spoke as if she was pleading with him. She turned to face Lex and paused. “And I’m dying.”

TBC

Re: The Mistake (R for adult situations) updated 8/7/07

I KNEW IT!!!! I KNEW IT!!!!! I just knew Catherine was dying. Love how she realized Lex's feelings for CHloe. So good, more please.

An Accused Heretic Senior Member Kit Merlot's Avatar

Thus far, this is my favorite part of the story: Lex realizes that he fell for Catherine because she reminded him of Chloe. And Catherine seems like a lovely person--she and Lex could have been happy together.

Great worl
    KATHY

"Don't quote me to me!" Detective Danny "Danno" WIlliams, Hawaii Five-0, episode 1.8 Mana'o

"This could barely fill up Thumbelina!" SALIGIA by westwingwolf

My Fanfic Master List

My livejournal: An Accused Heretic

Disclaimer 'Reason for It All' by Alison Krauss

Catherine – Chapter 10

She descended the winding stairs and locked the lighthouse behind them without uttering another word to him. She saw his face as the words rolled off her tongue. She wondered if he had the same glazed over sad look covering his face when his mother told him she was dying. She never meant for him to know. She had warned him to not look for her. He brought this upon himself; he wouldn’t let it go until he knew. Now he knew, and she knew that it killed him inside.

He followed behind her back up the beach as the sun went down. He watched as she pulled something out of skirt pocket. He was vaguely familiar with the inhaler that she used on more than one occasion on the walk back. He stopped briefly, watching her pick up shells in silence. He pulled out his phone and called.

“Lex, what’s going on?”

“It’s a long story. Is there anything you might be able to make for dinner?” he could hear Chloe poking through the cabinets.

“There’s a little, but not much.”

Lex heard another voice and looked up, “My uncle has to come pick up the key; he’ll be there in about an hour.”

“There’s going to be four of us.” He paused not able to come up with the right words. “Are you ok?” Catherine looked up at him as he asked.

“I’m fine.” No, I’m not – I’m crushed, she thought. “I just wondered if everything is ok?”

“I’ll talk to you when we get back.” Lex hung up the phone and looked at Catherine, who had gone back to collecting shells. She would pick up some and throw them back in the surf. “Why do you do that?”

“Of course, the fancy businessman who studied the Art of War until he was blue in the face would know nothing of the more gentile lessons.” Lex walked up to her and saw what she held. “You’ve never heard the lesson the little boy gave the business man?”

“Why don’t you tell me.” She watched his almost smart-alecky response.

She stopped and picked up another. “There was this boy that picked these up and the business man thought he would be smart and teach the boy a lesson, kind of like you. He told the boy he was foolish to throw them back since there were too many to save. The boy told him that it wasn’t foolish because it made a difference to that one.” Lex looked at her as she looked at it in her palm. “You’re this one,” she whispered as she pointed at it and looked at him. He watched as she threw it back in the surf and continued to walk.

He just watched her. She was young, and yet so fragile. He could see it now. Her face was pale, and she seemed to pant for every breath since their walk up the lighthouse stairs. He wanted to ask about her disease; he could save her. He knew that wasn’t what she wanted though. Closing his eyes, he slipped his phone back in his pocket and removed his shoes.

“Why Lex Luthor, I never pegged you for one to enjoy the beach.” She smiled like she used to and turned back around.

He halfway laughed, “Yeah, I kind of gave up since the sand inside my shoes is rubbing my feet raw. You know if you hadn’t run down the beach, I wouldn’t have this problem.”

“Ahhh, and now we’re back to everything being about you.” Catherine giggled. “And I guess that means that those incredibly overpriced pants are going to be used for dust rags once back in Smallville.” Lex nodded in some affirmation, knowing she was probably close to correct.

He marveled at how similar she was to Chloe, down to the verbal judo and the amusing looks she gave him. He had been so focused on his own thoughts, he hadn’t felt her put her arm around him. Pulling something else out of her pocket, she put it in his free hand. “A sand dollar,” he stated pointedly.

“You know the legend?”

“Is this another lesson that I should know?”

“Yes.” He nodded at her smile and waited for her to explain the legend in her own words. He knew something of this one but was curious of her take on it. He watched as she took the sand dollar and broke it in his hand. She poured out the contents. “There. Five doves. They are for good will and peace.”

“Then they are probably going to burst into flames in my hands, according to most people now.” She slapped him on the shoulder and laughed.

“Come on, seriously.” She picked up the first set “The first dove is for Julian.” Lex sighed as she threw that one back in the water. She pointed. “The second, for your mother.” She took his shoes and set them down and put the second set in his hand. “Go on.” He exhaled and threw it in the surf.

“Is there a point?”

She ignored him and kept going. “The third set for your father. I know, before you say anything, but he was your father, your blood. And as much as you hate him right now, you will someday miss him in some way.” He took the third set and threw it in the surf as she waited.

Ok, maybe she’s a little more philosophical than Chloe. On the other hand, she’s dealing with something I can’t understand and I didn’t want to when dad went through it. I get it now. “Catherine, I am so…”

“No, no pity. We still have two left. This one is for Lucas.” Lex’s mouth dropped when she said his name. “I know; it was in one of the files at the office. I know you weren’t close, but still.” Lex picked up the fourth and threw it out in the surf. “There’s one more.”

He understood where this was going. He was supposed to make peace with all the tragedy in his life and move on, and she was trying to tell him that. “No, I’m not going to do this.” He folded his hand up over the last dove, picked up his shoes, and started down the beach. She plodded after him, grabbing her chest.

“Wait, stop.” He stopped. “Why not? I just want you to make peace with…”

“With your death? I’m not going to let you die; I can get you the finest doctors, I can …”

“What to prolong my life a few months. Look at me Lex. Really look at me.” She was hunched over, baiting for breath now. She pulled out the inhaler and took another puff. That was four times in the past hour.

“No, I’m not listening to this. We are going back to Metropolis and you’re going to get the best care there is.” He was starting to raise his voice and pace.

“Why? Why can’t you just let it go?” She yelled at him but couldn’t follow him anymore.

He couldn’t take this conversation. She was going to live, “Because I fell in love with you.” He bit his lip realizing he had said it out loud. He dropped his shoes and fell into the sand. He looked over at her; she was breathing heavier as she approached him.

Kneeling in front of him, she pulled his fist open and looked at the last little dove. She whispered, “Then let me go…please.” She released his hand and sat next to him. He looked over at her and noticed she was crying. He picked up the last small dove and gently rolled it between both hands. He gazed over at her and ran his fingers through her hair and down her back. He could feel the fluid in her chest moving about as he touched her. She could barely breathe. She looked over at him with another set of tears welling up and her lip quivering. “Please.”

He looked at his hand and exhaled before throwing the last dove in the surf. “What do you…”

“They call it Idiopathic Pulmonary Fibrosis. It’s basically where scarring builds up in my lungs until they basically give out. The medications are just to open up what parts haven’t been attacked yet. And there’s not a cure, just prolonged agony, which made giving birth a real fun 20 hours.”

Lex opened his mouth to apologize but couldn’t.

“Thanks for not saying anything. You didn’t know – no one did except for my family. I just went on with my treatments and had oxygen for the night. Actually I was afraid of having an attack everytime we had sex. That’s why I always left so quickly; I needed to medicate. Anyway, my grandfather had it so it was partly hereditary. So, I have an old person’s disease.” She smiled at him and giggled at her very bad joke.

“What have you planned?” Lex couldn’t believe he was actually thinking of arranging another funeral. He couldn’t look at her.

“My uncle and grandmother have everything taken care of.” She smiled over at him and tried to make a joke. “She said you made a nice donation to the funeral effort though.” He looked over at her.

“That old woman from the store that hated me?” Lex realized that he had been led astray by her grandmother.

She nodded, “She was just playing her part, not that it worked. I guess I left one too many clues – that picture you found wasn’t supposed to be there. I guess it dropped out of my things. Oh, in case you were wondering, the message on the wall was left by your father’s minions. That was not part of the set up, just made my leaving town more important.” They sat in silence for a few more minutes. Hooking her arm around his, she leaned up against his shoulder and calmly stated, “But I’m glad that you are here.”

He reached over and touched her hand. Sadness had engulfed him moments before but he could feel his emotionless strength returning. He knew she didn’t want him to feel sorry for her. “Hey, we better go; it’s getting late.” He pulled her up and watched her as she started off up to the house. Looking up at the house, he didn’t see Chloe but suspected her in the living room. Chloe. He couldn’t believe that this woman who bore his son was actually pushing him to Chloe. Amazing how she learned more about me than I learned about my father in those few months he thought.

Lex stood and watched her as she slowly made her way up through the heavier sand. She was slower it seemed every step. She stopped and weakly signaled for him to follow and then fell.

Lex ran up to her and caught her before she hit the sand. He felt his heart stop. “I…need…hmm…”

“Don’t talk.” He picked her up and started up toward the house as Chloe now watched from the balcony. Coming down the stairs to meet him, she noticed the sadness in his eyes. “Go get our stuff please.” Lex nodded back toward the stuff he had left on the beach in his hurry.

“Lex.”

“Just go, I got to get her inside.” Laying her down on the bed, he leaned over. “What can I do; where’s your medications or…”

“I don’t have them with me,” she whispered. She squeezed his hand and pressed her lips together. “Just let me rest; I promise I’ll come in and join you for dinner in a bit. The dunes were just too much after running from you.” She could barely get the words out but Lex just nodded in agreement as Chloe walked back through. She stopped and watched as he combed Catherine’s hair back and covered her up. She tried a smile in his direction when he looked up and walked back into the living room.

“We need to talk.” He sat down at the table and proceeded to stare at the food.

“That’s what there was; what’s going on?” Chloe tried to keep her voice down; she could tell Lex was truly bothered by something. She watched as he pushed the food around on his plate and then pushed the plate across the table.

“She’s dying, and I can’t do anything for her.”

Chloe tried to be optimistic. He had always put money and his ability to buy all happiness for anyone above anything. “Lex,” she took his arm, “you can help her.”

He nodded, “She doesn’t want it; she refuses.” Lex got up from the table and locked himself in the bathroom. Chloe sat and stared into the bedroom where she could only see the woman’s tiny legs and feet. She could hear her breathing from the other room. She couldn’t imagine what Lex was going through. Why does everything awful always happen to him? This isn’t fair to him.

Hearing a front door bell, Chloe got up to open the front door to see an older man in a park ranger uniform staring at her. “Can I help you?”

“Yes. I’m here to pick up the key from Catherine. Are you the two people that she said might be visiting?”

“I’m Chloe. Who she said might visit?” Chloe opened the door wider as the older man walked in.

“Catherine’s my niece. She said that she thought a man and possibly a woman would be looking for her this week. Guess you found her.” The man wiped his hands on his pants. “My name is Robert,” he said as he shook hands with Chloe.

“Uncle Rob. I’ll got get your key.” Catherine answered as she crossed over to the bathroom weakly. Chloe watched as her uncle observed her sliding across the floor carefully.

“She has always worked herself up too much, but she’s a fighter.” The man sat down in front of the plate that was Lex’s dinner and started eating. Chloe looked at him funny, pulling another two plates out of the cabinet and served two more places. Sitting down at the table, she watched as the man shoveled food in his face. “Thank you for making dinner tonight. She usually does but looks too tired for it tonight.”

Lex turned the corner with Catherine and sat down. “Hello sir. Here’s the keys. She wanted to take me up where I could see the view.”

“Magnificent isn’t it?” He spoke as he shoved another spoonful in his mouth. Lex watched as the man ate ferociously. Catherine giggled.

“He works up an appetite all the time.” She smiled at the entire table, signaling for everyone to enjoy their dinner and not worry about the problem on everyone’s minds. The three continued talking through dinner about inane topics of the island and Lex’s father’s trial. They watched carefully as Catherine pushed her chair back and headed to the bedroom. “Chloe, I could use your help.”

Chloe glanced at Lex and proceeded to the bedroom. She figured that the amount of past between her and Lex, he could have helped her change as well as she could. After Chloe entered the room, Catherine closed the door behind her. “What do you need?”

“I need you to take care of Lex and Julian.” Chloe stared at her.

“I don’t get it. Take care of him?”

“He’s falling in love with you, like he did me. He falls so fast it causes him to get hurt when things don’t work out.” Catherine stopped and watched as Chloe sat down on the edge of the bed and stared into space. Pulling up a chair, she took Chloe’s hands in hers. “You know what I’m saying is true.”

Chloe barely nodded. “I ummm.”

“I want him and Julian to be happy; I’m afraid he’ll turn into the monster his father was without you there. Please, don’t…leave…him.” Chloe looked up at her and shook her head. She backed up and pulled the bed back for her. Catherine stripped off the tank and skirt and slipped into a long nightgown. Crawling into bed, she smiled. “You were always his favorite; he talked about you all the time, and after seeing you and talking to you, I know why now.” Chloe took her hand and squeezed it.

“Get some rest.” She closed the door and walked back into the living room. “Where did Ranger Rick go?”

“Funny, he gave me his number in case of anything and took off.” Chloe stood across the living room and watched Lex do dishes. He saw her stare and raised a finger. “Not one word.”

“I didn’t say anything; I’m going to get my night clothes on.” Chloe picked up bag and headed into the bathroom. She returned several minutes later after a needed shower and noticed Lex on the computer. “Anything interesting?”

“Nah, you finished?” He disappeared as Chloe laid back on the couch and looked over the website he had opened. Obviously not interested in the Japanese Market, she put her head back and closed her eyes. “Hey, take the other room and get some sleep.”

Chloe got up and started across the living room and started to pass him. He grabbed her arm and held her. Looking down in her eyes, he finally smiled for the first time it seemed that day. “Thank you,” he whispered. Chloe smiled at him and thought he would let go. She continued to gaze into his eyes. Leaning over he placed his lips lightly on hers and she closed her eyes as he kissed her.

Letting go her arm, he walked back over to the couch and went back to work. Chloe turned and looked at him, but he didn’t look back up. Her lips were on fire as she turned away, covered her mouth, and went into the other bedroom. Shutting the door, she sunk into the floor against the door and cried. She was falling for him too.

Chloe scooted across the living room and noticed out of her blurred morning vision that the couch had been slept on. Lex, you could have shared a bed. She continued into the master bedroom and noticed the door cracked open. “Lex,” she whispered. She rubbed her eyes and saw his face, covered in tears. His hands wrapped around one of Catherine’s. “Oh, God.”

Lex held out his arm to her and Chloe fell on her knees next to him. He placed Catherine’s hand back on the bed and slid off the chair and into Chloe’s arms. She just held him in silence. She felt his body go limp in her arms and tried to hold him up. “Everyone’s gone,” he whispered. He sniffled and buried himself further into her chest.

She rocked him slightly. He’s going to have another mental break. Chloe tried to catch herself and think of what to do for him. “I’m not.” She thought about Catherine’s words from the previous night. Don’t…leave…him…She gripped him tighter, “I’ll always be here. And Julian, he’s waiting for you at home. Lex, she loved you, and she wants you to continue that love.”

Lex sat up and wiped his face, trying to get some composure. “I didn’t cry for my father; I wasn’t allowed to cry for my brother or my mother, and didn’t care to for Lucas. Chloe, you can’t.”

“It is not a sign of weakness to cry Lex, but for you, what just happened won’t ever leave this room, I promise.” She raised his head up and wiped his face off with her fingers. Lex stood up and helped Chloe up off the floor.

“She passed away about an hour ago. Robert gave me instructions last night.”

“Meaning?”

“We’re leaving today, so we have to get ready.” Lex turned on his Luthoresque pose and started sifting through papers that had been in Catherine’s desk. He walked over and dropped them on the dining table. He looked back at Chloe and disappeared into the bathroom.

“Wait, we’re not staying?” She said though the door.

Lex sounded frustrated but Chloe couldn’t believe he wouldn’t at least stay for a funeral. That was even callous for him. “No, not exactly. She’s being buried later this week. We’re leaving right after they come and take her.” Chloe took a deep sigh of relief and continued to stand there. Lex looked at her irritated when he came out of the bathroom. “Go get ready, please.” Chloe nodded and disappeared into the bedroom.

By the time she returned, a group of gentlemen were carrying her body out of the house as Lex watched in stoic silence. He broke and glanced back at her. Walking up to him, Lex put his arm around Chloe and followed the men out the door and down the walkway. He signed a few papers from the mortician and slid into the taxi next to Chloe. She held his hand and looked out the opposite window. Please, don’t…leave…him, Chloe thought again. She glanced at his blank stare out the other window. I won’t; I promise he won’t be alone through this.

‘I've seen hard times and I've been told
    There isn't any wonder that I fall
    Why do we suffer, crossing off the years
    There must be a reason for it all’

Re: The Mistake (R for adult situations) updated 8/8/07

OH..MY...GOD!!!! How sad. I'm glad Catherine went pretty peacefully...she did go peacefully didn't she. Loved the talk between Catherine & Chloe & am so glad Chloe won;t leave Lex. I LOVE THIS STORY & am very glad you updated so quickly. More please.

Re: The Mistake (R for adult situations) updated 8/8/07

oh, that was really such a sad ending to quite an exciting and intriguing fic. I liked Catherine, and it's really quite a pity that she had been diagnosed and sentenced and death practically the moment she came on-screen. I did like how Lex told her that he had been in love with her... although I feel like it was partly a lie he told her because he felt such overwhelming sorrow and pity about the situation.

It was very sweet that Catherine kind of 'passed the torch' to Chloe, asking her to take care of Lex. But I really don't think this is the time to rush into a Chlex relationship... not while Lex is grieving and getting over the loss of the mother of his child.

I look forward to the next update.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information