Thread: Finding A Way Home (11/15-Complete!) PG-13

NS Senior Member Senior Member sydsvaughn's Avatar

Finding A Way Home (11/15-Complete!) PG-13

Title: Finding A Way Home
    Author: SaraC
    Rating: PG-13
    Spoilers: Season 2 of SV, Season 7 (so far) of SG-1
    Pairings: Chlex, Dan/Jan, Sam/Jack
    Archive: Where ever, just let me know please!
    Summary: Chloe's life is changed forever when her grandmother reveals a shocking secret- and two different worlds collide (spurred off of Imp's challenge on BT2 list)

Disclaimer: I own none of these characters! Again, that means they're not mine. Damn. (I'm a poor grad student so please don't sue!&#33

The challenge (as asked for by Imp):

Chloe's maternal grandmother is dying. As a final request, she asks to see Chloe, which puzzles her since her grandmother has never wanted to see her before. Of course her curious nature keeps her from denying her grandmother's request. Chloe soon discovers her grandmother needed to make a confession to Chloe's mom but since she hasn't spoken to her daughter in years, and having no way of contacting her, she chose instead to make her confession to Chloe.

It turns out that the man Chloe sort of knew as a grandfather, wasn't in fact her mom's real father. Chloe is able to get a name and occupation from her grandmother. A little research shows that Jacob Carter is still alive and working for the military. She also discovers that he has another daughter. Happy by the prospect of a potential family, (it is just her and her dad) she begins to do more research (not all above board) and stumbles across the Stargate program. A program her aunt. Major Samantha Carter, is a key figure in.

Where you take it from there is up to you. I do have a couple of requests though... I want Chloe to have a (tiny) crush on either Daniel or Teal'C. Even
    if you make it Chlexy.

Sam must have a real romance with either Jack, Daniel or Teal'C. Can be already established or Chloe can play matchmaker.

Chloe must go through the stargate.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Author Notes: This is a true labor of love for me, prompted by Imp's challenge, my love of developing and playing with a Chlex relationship and my recent acquired love for a rather popular archaeologist with the most adorable glasses and a second home in the infirmary. Yes, it's a "Smallville/SG-1" crossover, which means both shows will get the star treatment. That also means it's gonna be a long one. I've already got up to 70 pages written and I'm only halfway done. But the muse won't let me stop until it's over. Several people tell me they are anxiously awaiting this ... I hope it delivers. It's mainly a Chlex fic, with an emphasis (as Imp) wanted, on Chloe. However, the SG-1 crew and their complex relatioships get a turn as well as the story progresses. What I mean is that while it starts mainly Chlex, it will branch nicely (so I'm told) into Stargate.

But I apologize now for my own inner 'simbiote' that takes over whenever I write about Dr. Daniel Jackson. I just can't help myself- and when you put him and Lex in the same room... roooowwwwrrr!

Sorry, got a little sidetracked there. Anyhow, if you're unfamiliar with the Stargate: SG-1 plots... here's a site to get you caught up:

http://www.gateworld.net

I also must add a huge thanks to my wonderful beta team of Marty and Sheryl. Their support and encouragement is what's getting this story done. And their invaluable knowledge of SG-1 and Smallville/Superman cannon. And the fact they put up with two hours phone calls for me to obsess over what Lex and Danny would bond about, the goodness that is Danny himself, and how to write a believable Teal'c.

Again, this is going to be a long one, so settle in and enjoy the ride. And please, don't hesitate to tell me what you think!! I really need reviews to tell me if you like where this is going!

SaraC (who isn't sure whether to bless or curse Imp for getting her started on this crossover- but is leaning towards the former)

Chapter 1

~*~*~*~*~
    Smallville

It was a day like any other day in Smallville- but Chloe Sullivan had no idea that it was a day that would change the rest of her life. She was sitting in the Talon, pouring over an article on the latest changes being discussed for the Smallville High cheerleading squad's outfits. The article's author, a cheerleader herself, was a good writer, but the subject matter was still too fluffy for Chloe's taste. But, it would fill up the space she needed and at the moment, she was not going to complain.

"Chloe, you look like you could use another cup of coffee."

Smiling at Lana's words, she nodded her thanks as the brunette set a steaming mug in front of her.

"Thanks, Lana, I really need something to perk me up after reading this article on why the cheerleading squad should be allowed to wear shorter skirts." Her friend's burst of laughter made her smile.

"What's this about shorter skirts on our cheerleaders? Bring 'em on!" Both women turned at the enthusiastic voice of their friend, who plopped into a seat across from Chloe.

"Why am I not surprised you approve, Pete?" She deliberately made her tone wry, smiling as Pete shrugged and reached over to grab the article. His face brightened as he began reading and Chloe couldn't help but smile in amusement as Clark meandered over to join them, looking curiously at what his friend was reading.

"How about you Clark? Do you think our cheerleaders should have shorter skirts?" The slight blush that rose in his cheeks made her laugh and caused Pete to give his friend a knowing look.

"Of course he does. We males need something pretty to look at to inspire us, don't we?"

Neither Pete nor Chloe were surprised when Clark's eyes immediately went to Lana as he mumbled an affirmative answer.

Chloe sighed at the slight pang that hit as she watched her roommate smile back. While it still hurt to realize that Clark would never want her as he did Lana, she had finally realized she was ready to accept just being friends with Clark. Once she'd accepted that, it had become easier to watch the slow mating dance in which her two friends were participating. Still, she wouldn't complain about finding a man who looked at her the way Clark did Lana.

"You know, it takes a lot less effort to smile than to frown, Ms. Sullivan."

She whirled around at the amused voice that spoke suddenly in her ear, feeling flustered that she hadn't heard or registered Lex's approach. Sending a slight smile at the bald billionaire, she shrugged her shoulders and tried to look as if her body was not shivering from the feel of his breath washing across her soft skin.

"Well, Mr. Luthor, if you had to proofread the crap I've just muddled my way through, you'd be frowning too."

"Remember who you're talking too, Chloe." She shivered again at the way he stressed her name, turning it into three long drawn out syllables. "I own a crap factory so I'm used to it."

She couldn't help but laugh as he settled into the booth next to her. It was always such a delight to engage in their verbal judo. And over the past few months, their verbal battles had become more frequent as they'd become actual friends.

"Point taken, Lex." His smirk at her use of his first name broadened her grin. "So what do you think of Smallville High's cheerleaders showing a bit more leg during games?" The wry look he gave her made her smile larger.

"Well, I've always believed that too much of a good thing makes it less enjoyable." The way his eyes locked on hers as he spoke caused a funny feeling in the pit of her stomach. "A woman who is mysterious, sexy without being too forward can be much more interesting to watch."

Chloe hoped she wasn't blushing as her mind immediately began to wander down a dangerous path. One that involved the thought that maybe Lex was talking about her. But she quickly shoved that thought aside, realizing that he would never be interested in her that way. She refused to think why that jabbed at her.

"Interesting." She was grateful that Clark suddenly asked Lex a question, allowing her mind to wander a little more. Her thoughts were immediately brought back to the present when her cell phone rang. Wondering who could be calling her now, since most of her friends were here, she hit the button and muttered a hello.

"Is this Chloe?"

Chloe paled at the familiar voice she had not heard in years. A jumble of memories bombarded her like lightening bolts for a split second- a smiling face and comfortable lap, the scent of pipe tobacco as she dug for peppermints in a sweater pocket. Twinkling eyes and a deep voice that made everything seem better along with chocolate chip cookies that cured all childhood ills.

"Grandma?"

At the words, Lex, Clark, and Pete stopped all conversation and turned confused looks towards her.

"Hello, Chloe, it's been a long time."

Bitterness swelled inside her at the words as she felt again the sting of being shut out of her grandmother's life after her grandfather died and soon after when her mother left.

"Yes, it has. What do you want?" Her voice was sharp as she tried to ignore the concern now marring the features of her three companions.

"I know it's been too long, Chloe, and I know you probably hate me-"

"Can we get to the point? It's not about my mother is it? Because I gave up caring about what happened to her years ago when she left and you stopped calling." She knew it was abrupt, but she could feel all the old insecurities and anger she held for the woman who had given her life cropping up again. Obviously the emotions she'd thought she'd gotten over so long ago had only been simmering on the back burner.

"Chloe, your mother is dead."

The words should not have shocked her. After living without her mother for years, she'd convinced herself she didn't care. She and her father had done just fine on their own. More to the point, she didn't want the woman who had obviously not wanted her. But hearing her grandmother say those words, with very little emotion or warning had created a funny feeling inside her heart. If she thought about it, she might call it grief. But for the moment, she didn't want to think about it.

"What do you want me to say? I haven't seen or heard from her in years, why are you telling me now?" To her relief, her voice was calm and cool, nothing like the warring emotions she could feel pummeling her heart. Only her free hand clenched tightly into a fist in her lap gave any outward sign of her emotion.

Lex, however, caught it. Sitting next to her as he was, he noted the way her nails were digging into her palm, hidden from both Pete and Clark's concerned gazes. While he did not know much about Chloe's family history, he did know that her mother had left her at an early age. And neither she nor Gabe ever talked about any relatives which was why he found himself surprised to hear she had a grandmother.

Although Chloe herself looked surprised as well. But whatever was being said, and it was obviously something about her mother, was upsetting her. And for some reason, he found himself not liking seeing her so upset. Without thinking, simply following a newfound need to comfort her, his hand reached to cover her clenched fist, out of sight of the two sitting across from them.

What worried him more was that without hesitation, Chloe slowly unclenched her hand and turned it up until she had interlaced their fingers. He looked at her in confusion, noting she hadn't glanced his way and that her face wore the same stoic expression as she listened to whatever was being said. Again without thought, his thumb began stroking soothingly across her palm as he tried to pick up what he could from her side of the conversation.

Somewhere, in the recesses of her mind, Chloe was fully aware that she was holding hands with Lex Luthor. But the numbness that had seemed to take over her body from the moment she'd heard her grandmother's words pretty much blinded her to all else. Except the fact that the stroke of his thumb against her palm was soothing in a way she'd never felt before. Still, she couldn't give the sensation her full attention- she was too busy trying to process what she was being told.

"I know you haven't spoken to her. I hadn't heard from her until a few weeks ago. She was in therapy, trying to put her life back together- she was even thinking of trying to contact you-"

"Gee, how thoughtful of her after more than 10 years."

"Chloe, please, just hear me out, okay?"

Sighing, Chloe remained silent and her grandmother obviously took it for agreement.

"I was only beginning to get to know her again when she died. It was a bad form of pneumonia and years of drug use had weakened her system beyond repair. She passed away quietly, but her last thoughts were of you."

Chloe fought down the emotions trying to claw through the barrier she'd put up around memories of her mother. She hated the woman, didn't she? Then why was there a sudden feeling of emptiness in her heart? Why were tears threatening to fall unchecked down her cheeks? The woman had left her for crying out loud! She didn't deserve pity from the daughter, much less the family she'd willingly chosen to leave.

"Right. I'm supposed to be moved by this, grandma? Has it escaped your notice that we haven't spoken in years either? Ever since you pushed me and dad out of your life when she left and grandpa died?" The bitterness in her voice stunned her, and her friends if their concerned expressions were anything to go by. Unconsciously, Lex's hand tightened on hers as he gave her a speculative look.

"Chloe, I'm sorry. I couldn't handle it then. Losing them both- you were so like her. I couldn't stand to see you and the memories of her you brought. I was stupid and selfish and I cannot tell you how much I regret missing being a part of your life-"

"Right. And you've regretted it so much that you haven't bothered to contact me before now. Why do you think her death makes anything different? What makes you think I have anything left to say to you?" She tried to take a deep breath, hearing the hysteria in her rising voice. She was clinging tightly to Lex's hand now, uncaring if she squeezed the life out of it. Right now, that point of contact, his fingers against her palm, was the only thing keeping her from flying out of control.

"You might not have anything to say to me, Chloe, but I have something you need to hear. Something you need to know about your mother and about me."

Unsure of what to say or how to feel, Chloe again took a deep breath, trying to calm down and craft a focused, uncaring reply. She did not want to let her grandmother know how much this conversation was affecting her. And deep inside, curiosity was sparked at what could be so important that her grandmother had broken years of silence to tell her.

"So tell me, if it's that important?"

A long sigh on the other end was her only reply.

"I can't tell you on the phone. I need to see you."

Bitterness again took root in Chloe's reply. "You've had more than 10 years to see me and you haven't made the effort. Why should I make it now?"

"Chloe, I don't have long to live. Days, maybe weeks. But I cannot leave this life without telling you something that I've kept secret all these years."

Much as she hated to admit it, her curiosity was now thoroughly peaked. Not to mention another part of her heart felt a tug of emotion at the knowledge her grandmother was dying. Despite not hearing from the woman for years, she really was the only family, other than her father, that she had left. And they'd once been so close, albeit that was more than 10 years ago.

Despite her flip-flopping emotions, she was proud her voice sounded calm and collected as she managed to reply. "If it's so important, why wait until now to tell me?"

"Because I wasn't ready to face the consequences or the emotions that telling you, or your mother, would stir up."

A feeling of foreboding took root in her heart at the ominous words and for a moment, she wondered if she would be better off not knowing. But the curiosity would not die and despite her better judgment, she found herself wondering what it would be like to see her grandmother again after all this time.

"Chloe, please."

The words now sounded broken and emotions again began churning inside of her. She didn't want to open what she had a feeling would be Pandora's Box but then again, like the myth itself, she was now too curious not to find out what it held. And if she were honest with herself, she really wanted to see the woman who had meant so much to her at such a young age.

"Fine. Where do you want me to go?"

"I'm at a nursing home in Gotham. I won't be leaving it again. Please, Chloe, come soon?"

The pleading tone to the words stirred her heart again, although she forced herself to cut those emotions off before they overwhelmed her.

"I have to talk to dad, but I'll call you when I figure out how to get there." Keeping her tone neutral, she took down her grandmother's phone number and contact information. Several moments later, she hit the disconnect button on her phone and then sat staring at it. All the while, she kept her hand interlocked with Lex's.

"Chloe, you want to fill us in on what that was all about?" Clark's hesitant voice made her laugh harshly as she turned her gaze on him.

"That was my grandmother, whom I haven't heard from since Mom left. Apparently, my mother is dead and my grandmother is dying." She was pleased her words sounded emotionless, although her hand tightened again around Lex's. "Now it seems she has some long buried secret that she can't die without telling me. Right out of a movie, isn't it?"

Lex watched her in silence as Pete and Clark immediately began asking more questions. He knew very well the emotions battling under her calm surface. They were made more visible to him by the way her hand tightened on his. He also realized that if she did not get them out, they would eat her up alive. Experience had taught him that. He came back to reality as her words about finding a way to Gotham penetrated.

"I told her I'd go to Gotham and meet her, but I bet dad is going to have a fit. Either that or he'll want to go and I know he can't leave the plant at the moment." She turned her gaze to Lex who simply nodded. He had remained silent during it all, simply stroking her hand soothingly. For some reason, she took more comfort in that small action than any words Pete or Clark said.

"He's in the middle of reworking the shift responsibilities and he can't do that without being there. Although I can put it on hold for a few days if he wants to go with you-"

"No. I don't want to take him away for something that might not be all that important." She smiled and squeezed his hand, grateful that he had made the offer. The fact that she knew he meant it said more than any words of sympathy ever could.

"Chloe, I think your father would call this more important that work-"

"It's not, Lex." She looked at him as she tried to explain. "This is something that I have to do, although I can guarantee you, whatever she has to say won't do much to change my opinion on her or my Mom." She meant the words, but she needed him, and her friends, to understand.

"But, Chloe, you can't just go to Gotham by yourself!"

She frowned at Clark's words, bristling at the implication he seemed to be making. "You think I'm not mature enough to handle this alone?"

Clark immediately looked chagrined as he tried to explain. "It's not that Chloe, it's just, it's an emotional issue and I don't think you should face it alone."

"Clark's right. You need someone there to help you-"

"I can help myself, Pete, thank you very much." Her warring emotions made her reply more of a snap as she took her own anger out on her friends. "I'm a big girl and I can handle this. Although it means a lot to me that you're both so concerned." She softened her final words, hoping it would appease them enough to stop the interrogation. Her emotions were raw enough without being forced to dissect things further.

Lex felt his admiration for her grow as he watched her clamp down on her obviously volatile emotions and attempt to pacify her friends. He knew she was falling apart inside but felt helpless to do anything about it. Not that he had any right, being as that they had only recently begun forming a friendship not based around their mutual interaction with Clark.

Still, she was probably going to break a few bones if she didn't stop squeezing his hand to relieve the frustration.

"Chloe, how about I drive you over to the plant, assuming you want to talk to your father now?" He wasn't even sure why he made the offer, just knowing she needed to get away from the concerned questions of her friends. The grateful look she shot him was all the thanks he needed.

"That would be nice, Lex. Thank you." Chloe smiled as she finally released his hand, surprised to feel a lingering sense of loss as the warm grip was removed. Turning back to Pete and Clark, she reassured them that she would be fine and would call them later. Waving good-bye to their concerned expressions, she shot Lana a weak grin and motioned for her to get the information from Pete and Clark.

She breathed deeply of the afternoon air when she stepped outside the Talon's doors, feeling a slight bit better at being out in the open. Following Lex over to his Ferrari, she smiled as he walked over and opened the passenger door for her.

"A gentleman to the last, Lex. Who would have known?"

Lex smiled, glad to hear the lighter tone to her voice. Slipping into the driver's seat, he started the car and pulled out of his parking space, taking care to go slower than normal, seeing as he had a passenger. Her amused chuckle made him grin a few moments later.

"I won't break, Lex. You can drive a little faster, and while you're at it, open the sunroof please? I need fresh air." The relief that swept over her as he complied made her feel marginally better. Closing her eyes, she took a deep, soothing breath and let her body try and relax.

"Better?" His deep voice brought her eyes open and she turned to him with a small smile.

"Much. Thank you for getting me out of there. Much as I love those guys, they were beginning to make me hyperventilate." His low laughter sent a small tingle down her spine.

"I know. You nearly broke a few bones in my hand." He risked a glance at her as he spoke, hoping she took the words in the joking way he'd meant them. Her small smile reassured him she had.

"Well, it was better than breaking mine by hitting that table as hard as I could." Glad her tone was lighter, she gave him a small smile, remembering for a moment the comforting feel of his hand in hers. "By the way, thanks."

Lex simply nodded, knowing exactly what she was trying to say. "Not a problem, glad I could help."

For a while then, they sat in a comfortable silence. Chloe found her frayed nerves soothed by the fresh air and strangely enough, Lex's presence next to her. Almost without thinking, she began to speak.

"I don't have a lot of good memories of my mother- she was always rather flighty, at least what I can remember of her. But my grandfather- her dad- was a wonderful man and he always made sure I knew how special I was to him."

Lex remained quiet, knowing she needed to talk and to his surprise, curious about what she would say. He had a feeling these were things she had never told anyone- and the thought that she felt comfortable enough to tell him gave him a strange, yet not unpleasant, feeling.

"I spent a lot of time with my grandparents and I can still remember the wonderful stories my grandfather would tell. Listening to him spin a fantastic tale was almost like seeing a movie."

She smiled as several of those tales came to mind and in her head, she could clearly hear the deep, soothing voice reading them to her.

"So I take it I have him to thank for your intense, if somewhat dangerous, desire to become a hard-nosed reporter?" Lex made the comment in a teasing tone, glad to see it got a laugh. She really was beautiful when she smiled.

"I suppose so. I wish he'd written some of those stories down before he died, they would have made wonderful books." She could only imagine generations of young children growing up with those stories of danger, adventure and many times, the supernatural.

"Chloe, what happened?"

She looked over at Lex and sighed, twisting her hands together in her lap. "He had cancer. It was very quick and sudden. I don't remember much, I was too young, but I remember how helpless my grandmother looked as she sat by his bedside. He died several months later, peacefully, thank goodness, in his sleep."

Lex remained silent, leaving Chloe to her memories. After a few moments, however, curiosity got the best of him. Wondering if it would, as the saying went, kill the cat, he decided the risk was worth it.

"Chloe, what was your grandmother like?"

She stiffened at the words but after a few moments, relaxed back against the seat. Trying to put together her jumbled thoughts and emotions about her grandmother was even more difficult.

"She was a beautiful woman who seemed to spend her every day devoted to making her husband happy. I never saw her without knowing grandpa was close by. She made wonderful cookies too- although there was always something a little sad about her eyes whenever I would catch her alone in the kitchen baking."

Chloe bit her lip in a way that clued Lex into the fact that she was thinking hard about something. It was a rather endearing little habit he'd noticed about her from their first meeting.

"What's going through that head of yours, Chloe?"

She sighed. "I used to love visiting her and grandpa- cookies and stories and lots of peppermints that my grandfather would put in his sweater pockets." She smiled at his look. "I know, it's completely old fashioned and cliched but that was my grandfather- and I loved every minute of it!"

Lex smiled, glad to see her looking a little happier again. But as the smile faded from her face, he knew it was time to ask the question he'd been wondering about since she'd picked up the phone.

"Chloe, what happened between you and your grandmother?"

She bit her lip again and remained quiet for a moment before speaking.

"Right after grandpa died, Mom began disappearing. She'd leave for days on end, not telling dad where she was going. It was terrible, watching him go through that-" she trailed off at the memories of her father's sad face as he sat up waiting for her mother night after night.

Lex sensed her pain and without taking his eyes from the road reached over and gave her hand a quick squeeze. He felt a funny tingle around his heart as she again interlaced their fingers and continued.

"During that time, grandma began pulling away from us. Mom wasn't contacting her either and I think her grief over grandpa was making her more depressed." Taking a deep breath, Chloe forced herself to continue in a monotone voice. "Mom finally disappeared one night and that's the last I heard of her. I tried to call my grandmother, desperate for anything, but she told me she couldn't talk and couldn't handle seeing me or my father."

Lex tightened his grip on her hand, knowing she needed to get it all out.

"When I finally realized that grandpa was gone and grandma with him, I vowed to put them all behind me. My mother obviously didn't want us enough to stay, either did my grandmother. Soon after, dad moved us here to Smallville. I kept that vow and haven't talked to my grandmother since, until her call tonight."

Lex was silent a moment. "Chloe, what do you think is so important she needs to contact you now, after all these years?"

She bit her lip again before giving him a helpless look. "I don't know, Lex. I mean, she's dying and I guess everyone has last wishes, but still, I just don't know if I could handle seeing her again."

"Then the question is- just how important is it to you to honor her last wishes and find out what she wants you to know?"

Chloe remained silent as she tried to form an answer. "Part of me doesn't want to know because I thought I put that part of my past behind me."

"But?"

She sighed as Lex's question. "But a larger part of me, the part you all say will probably one day be my downfall, is curious to know what's so important. I don't know if it's that curiosity or the gut instinct I have that whatever she wants to tell me is going to change everything."

Lex kept a tight grip on her hand, remaining silent, knowing Chloe had to figure it out on her own. Turning into the plant parking lot, he found himself reluctant to let her hand go, but knew he must.

"Chloe, we're here."

She tried to smile at him as he pulled into the spot marked "Reserved" and heard the engine turn off. Something blossomed inside her as Lex remained seated next to her, obviously in no rush to move. Reaching over once more to take his hand, she squeezed it as his gaze met hers.

"Thank you, Lex."

"For what?"

She smiled at him. "For listening and not judging or trying to tell me what to do or how to feel."

He smiled. "I should know, I have too many people around me who do just that and I understand how frustrating that can be." It was his turn to squeeze her hand now, even as he tried again to ignore the feel of her smooth skin against his.

"Well, thanks anyhow. I know what I have to do." His only sign of curiosity was his raised brow, though he remained silent. After a few moments, he smiled.

"Are you going to tell me or leave me wondering?"

She laughed.

"I'm going to talk to my father and persuade him to let me see her. I have to do it, I have to know. I'll deal with the consequences if and when they arise." She felt better at the understanding and acceptance she read clearly in his eyes.

"I'll be there to help you, Chloe. All you have to do is ask." The soft smile she gave him stirred something around his heart he'd never felt before.

"That means more to me than you know, Lex." Before she realized what she was doing, she leaned over and brushed her lips across his. The feel of his soft skin, not to mention the intimacy of the action sent a tingle down her spine. Pulling back before he could do more than give her a stunned expression, she quickly jumped from the car. She did not want to analyze the emotions suddenly clamoring for her attention.

"I'll talk to you later, let you know how it goes with my dad." With that, hoping she sounded breezy and unaffected by her impromptu kiss, she bolted inside. She would have found it interesting to note, had she looked back, that the impenetrable Lex Luthor wore a stunned expression on his handsome face. Even more noteworthy- the fact he did not move from the car until a good five minutes later, a contemplative expression on his usually unexpressive face.

~*~*~*~*~*~

Chapter 2

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Lex told himself he wasn't going to read anything more into Chloe's sudden kiss. She was grateful, that was all. Still, he found himself dwelling more on the feeling of her lips against his than his work.

Not to mention he'd promised himself he wasn't going to eavesdrop near Gabe's open office door. He simply needed to pass the office to get to the copy machine. And if he were moving slowly, it was only because he was trying to read the document he intended to copy.

All pretense of ignoring whatever might be going on in his plant managers office went out the window, however, as he clearly heard the loud voices coming through the half open door. Unabashedly stopping to listen, he found himself intrigued at the father/daughter argument, or as Chloe would probably call it, 'heated conversation.'

"Dad, please! I know it's been years but I want to see Grandma. I have to know what's so important she needs to tell me on her death bed!"

"Chloe, you haven't seen the woman in years. And don't forget, I saw what her withdrawal from your life did to you. I will not let you go through that again!"

Lex could hear the worry and concern in Gabe's voice and he felt a sharp pang in his chest, wondering if his father had ever been that concerned about him.

"It's not like I want to start the relationship again. She blew her chance with me a long time ago. But Dad, she's dying, so it's not like she's going to be all 'grandma-ish' again."

"Chloe, you don't know if she's really dying. You don't know anything about her except that she says she is and that she has something important to tell you. How can you be sure-"

"What? You think she's got some diabolical plot to hurt me? Make me come all the way to Gotham to do me in? I don't think so, Dad. Besides, I'm her granddaughter, even if she's never earned the right to call me that."

Lex had to smile at the 'diabolical' reference, it was pure Chloe. Still, Gabe's worries echoed a few of his own that he'd acted on as soon as he'd managed to drag himself from the car and into the plant. Which gave him the perfect opportunity to intrude on the conversation. Keeping his face neutral, he reached over and knocked on the door before peeking his head in at Gabe's "come in."

"Sorry, I couldn't help but overhear-"

"Right." Chloe cut him off with an amused, if exasperated smile. "You couldn't help but be standing right outside my Dad's office when you knew we'd be having this conversation."

"Chloe!" Gabe's horrified voice made Lex smile, an action that shut the elder Sullivan up quickly.

"Actually, Chloe, with the 'heated discussion' you were having at a very high decibel level, I wouldn't be surprised if half the people in a ten foot radius didn't hear you two." He smirked as the truth of his words registered in the pout on her face.

"Fine. So I tend to get a little loud, but, Lex, you know how important this is to me. Unless you were just saying that to pacify me." The hurt look in her eyes made something inside him actually squirm. It was an unusual feeling that unsettled him and he promised to analyze it more later. Right now though, he figured it would be prudent to explain how he could help the situation.

"Chloe, I know how important this is to you, which is why I made a few calls myself while you and your father were talking." He hid his smile at the way her eyebrows rose at his words. It was actually a pretty good imitation of the gesture he'd perfected.

"Calls? What kind of calls? The kind that Lex Luthor probably wouldn't want the world to know about because they mean he's interfering in everyone else's business?"

"Chloe-"

Both Lex and Chloe however seemed to be oblivious to Gabe's weary voice. Sighing, he sat back in his seat to observe the young people, realizing that if Lex were really offended, he would have said something by now. In all, it was rather an amusing dialogue to watch. He wondered if that should make him proud or worried since it was occurring between his 18 year old daughter and his 24 year old boss.

"Actually, I called a few people who were able to pull together some information on one Mary Amiee Carpenter." Lex kept his amusement in check as her eyebrows shot up to her hairline. However, the amusement dimmed a little as he continued.

"Turns out she is a resident of Gotham City Central Retirement Home and has an uncurable form of cancer. She's not expected to live much more than a few weeks."

Chloe was silent, trying to absorb the knowledge that her grandmother was really dying- and that Lex had gone out of his way to make sure this whole thing wasn't some huge joke. Something in her heart softened towards the bald billionaire even more and she had a feeling her little 'crush' on him was headed down a steep slope for a crash straight into love.

"Lex, you didn't have to do this, but I know my daughter, when she recovers her powers of speech, will thank you."

He turned to smile at Gabe's heartfelt words, seeing the relief in the older man's eyes. Nodding in reply, he turned back to a rather stunned Chloe. Although his heart did a funny little jump at what he could have sworn he saw in her eyes as she looked at him for a brief moment.

"It wasn't a problem, Gabe, and I think I might have an even better solution to this." He waited until he was sure he had both Sullivans' attention before continuing.

"I just received an email from Bruce Wayne-" He paused as Chloe's eyes lit up with curiosity, even as she bit her lip to keep from interrupting. "He wants me to come to Gotham for a meeting with him on some business we need to take care of. Since Chloe's grandmother is there, I thought maybe she could fly out with me on the jet and spend the day with her grandmother while Bruce and I conduct business and then we could fly back that night."

He waited while the elder Sullivan weighed his words, knowing from the eager look in Chloe's eyes that her answer would be a resounding yes. For a moment, he wondered if he were doing the right thing. A three hour flight with only Chloe as his companion was a little unsettling since he was just beginning to realize he might feel more for her than just friendship.

"Lex, I couldn't impose Chloe on you-"

"Dad, you know Lex doesn't make offers he doesn't mean. Please, he'll take good care of me and you won't have to worry!"

Lex kept his eyes on Gabe, refusing to let his mind wander down the path of just how good care of the man's daughter that he could take. There would definitely be cause for worry then.

Gabe wasn't sure what to say, Chloe's eager eyes weakening him, along with the almost incredible knowledge that Lex seemed serious. He was actually agreeing to spend time with his daughter- the cub reporter- as well as watch out for her. The connotations of why Lex would want such a thing- well, he really didn't want to think about them right now. Sighing, he looked once more between the two.

"All right, if Lex is really okay with it, I'll allow it. But I want you to call me as soon as you get there and before you leave, all right?"

Chloe jumped from the chair and ran around the desk to hug him tightly. Lex watched with a small smile, wondering once again when the last time was that Lionel had hugged him- and meant it. Probably never was the resounding depressing thought.

"Thank you, Daddy! I promise, it's going to be fine and who knows what I might learn about our family!"

Gabe looked at Lex over Chloe's shoulder, seeing the other man had a look of worry on his face as well. It was that concern that cemented the fact in his mind that Lex would indeed make sure nothing happened to his daughter.

"Okay, I need to breathe, Chloe." With that, she pulled away and turned now sparkling eyes to Lex.

"So, Lex, when do we go?"

He smiled at her enthusiasm. "I'll email Bruce and tell him Thursday works for me, if you're okay with that?"

Chloe felt the excitement building as she nodded. Suddenly though, she turned back to her father. "Dad, it's okay if I skip school for the day? I don't have any tests and the Torch won't need put to bed until Friday."

Gabe sighed and nodded wearily. "Go, I'll write you a note saying there was a family emergency or something."

Feeling a strange sense of anticipation and fear, she decided she had a lot to do before Thursday. Including some in depth research on her mother and grandmother- not to mention what business Lex could have with Bruce Wayne.

"Okay, I've got things to do so Dad, I'll see you later and Lex, call and let me know what time I need to be where, okay?"

At the amused nod she got from the billionaire, she walked quickly from the office, feeling Lex's eyes follow her the entire way. She stopped suddenly as she heard his amused voice behind her.

"Chloe, how are you going to get home?"

She felt a blush rise to her cheeks as she remembered Lex had driven her here. Her car was still in front of the Talon.

"Oh, well, Dad, can I take your car and I'll come back and pick you up later?" She turned back and saw her father's amused face mirrored the look Lex was wearing.

"That's fine, Chloe. I'll be done around 6."

"Good, I'll see you then! Bye Dad, bye Lex!" Deftly catching the keys her father tossed her way, she again left the office and headed for the parking lot. On the way, she suddenly realized what had eluded her earlier. She was going to spend a good three hours there and back in a plane with Lex Luthor.

While normally, the idea would thrill her simply for the possibility of the interview she might get, the newfound knowledge that she was attracted to him could put a whole different spin on things. Especially since the feeling of his soft lips against hers had remained foremost in her mind all day. She still wasn't sure what had made her kiss him but now that she had, she worried it might become addicting.

'Lord, what have I gotten myself into?' With those thoughts jumbled up in her head, she drove home in silence, trying not to think about the Pandora's box she'd just opened.

~*~*~*~*~*~

Chloe knew she was five minutes late but couldn't find it in herself to worry what Lex would think. She needed her morning coffee fix and heaven help her if she hadn't gotten it. Lex would not want to be cooped up for hours with a non-caffinated version of herself. Even she shuddered at the thought.

"Thank you," she offered as the limo driver pulled up to the small airfield behind the plant. She could see the LuthorCorp jet ready to go, and to her surprise, a smiling Lex standing at the doorway. Gathering the two coffees she held along with her purse, she carefully maneuvered herself from the limo as the driver held open the door.

"Why am I not surprised it would be coffee that would make Chloe Sullivan late?"

Lex's amused voice brought a smile to her own face as she carefully climbed the few steps into the plane. She gratefully surrendered one of the beverages to him as he reached out a hand to help her over the final step. The contact of skin on skin sent a sharp shiver through her body- a shiver he felt as well if the flash in his eyes was anything to go by.

"Hey, you wouldn't want to be stuck with me and no coffee this early in the morning. Trust me, you wouldn't like me very much."

Lex laughed, finding her humor refreshing. Not to mention the way her short denim skirt and low cut red tank top showed off her luscious figure. Forcing himself to remember who they were, he helped her settle into a seat before setting the cup of coffee next to her.

"Lex, you don't think I'd be so rude as to get one for me and not you? Especially since stopping by the Talon to get these made me a teensy bit late?" Smiling, she motioned to the cup he had just put down, feeling something warm spread through her veins at the smile that appeared on his face.

"You're too thoughtful, Chloe. Although the hardened businessman in me knows a bribe when I see one." He made sure the words were teasing and her light peel of laughter told him she'd taken them as he'd intended.

"Take it or leave it, Luthor. I'll happily drink it if you don't want it."

He smiled at her words and quickly took the cup, taking a tentative sip before a grin broke out over his face.

"I think for the first time in years, Lana finally got it right."

Chloe laughed at his expression, knowing how often Lana brought Lex the wrong coffee. She didn't want to think what it said that she had specifically told Lana how to make the coffee, knowing exactly how Lex preferred it.

"So, now that we're settled, care to tell me what you and Mr. Wayne, Gotham's resident billionaire, will be discussing today?"

Lex laughed as he felt the plane rise smoothly into the air. He'd expected Chloe to come out fighting so he wasn't surprised by her question.

"Actually, Ms. Sullivan, that is classified information." The annoyed look she gave him made her face screw up in the most adorable way.

"Interesting. Well, it wouldn't have to do with the rumors going around that Bruce Wayne and Lex Luthor are thinking of combining their resources into one company, would it?"

The startled expression that came over Lex's face almost made her laugh. She knew he was going to want to know how she'd dug up that little piece of information. True to form, the question was not long in coming.

"And do I even want to know where you heard that- rumor?"

She smiled at his suddenly closed expression. "A journalist never reveals her sources, Lex. Although don't worry, I don't intend to publish it or anything just yet. I'm just curious."

Lex watched her shrewdly, noting she'd held his gaze through the whole speech. He liked to think he'd become a good judge of character or at least an ability to tell when people lied to him. For all intents and purposes, it looked like Chloe was telling the truth. Something inside of him lightened a little at the thought.

"I believe you, although I can't stress enough how important it is that this be kept quiet." He cursed himself as her eyes lit up, knowing he'd revealed too much.

Chloe knew the rumors were true thanks to his little slip. Normally, she would be begging him to allow her to print it, but something in his voice made her aware how important it was to keep this quiet. Reaching over, she took his hand and squeezed.

"I won't say a word, Lex. Something tells me this is very important to you and I respect that." His small smile did something strange to her insides, although it was not anything unpleasant.

"Thank you. I promise when I can tell you what's going on, you will have the first interview." He didn't know what made him say it, but the joy that lit up her eyes was more than enough reward for him.

"I'm going to hold you to that, Lex."

Feeling a little better, she tried to focus on the story she'd write instead of the meeting looming before her. While she was truly curious about the business Lex and Bruce Wayne would be conducting, if she were honest, the meeting with her grandmother was making her more nervous than anything.

"Chloe, it's going to be all right. And I won't be more than a phone call away if you need me."

Turning at Lex's voice, she tried to keep the smile on her face. It faltered a bit at the concern and sympathy she saw reflected in his blue eyes. Swallowing hard, she simply squeezed his hand, noting absentmindedly that she'd never released it. This hand-holding was beginning to get to be a regular thing, not that she was complaining.

"Thanks." She gave him a small smile before turning her head to gaze once more outside the window as they drew closer to Gotham.

Lex watched her quietly, feeling no need to release the hand clasped so securely in his. He'd seen the flash of vulnerability in her eyes and knew she was wondering what this meeting with her grandmother would bring. He made a vow then and there that if anyone, or anything, tried to hurt Chloe, he would do whatever it took to destroy it.

The two sat in a comfortable silence the rest of the ride, Lex looking over papers and Chloe staring out the window, lost in her own confusing thoughts. Neither made any move to pull apart their joined hands, not even when the pilot announced their descent into Gotham.

Ten minutes later, Chloe found herself reluctantly freeing her grip from Lex, feeling a pang of loss at the contact that had grown familiar. Stretching, she smiled as Lex rose and grabbed their jackets from the seat behind them.

"You ready?"

Taking a deep breath, she looked straight into his eyes and nodded. Giving her a small smile and nod, he held out his hand and pulled her up with him. Neither said a word about their linked hands as he led her off the plane and into the limo waiting for them.

Once settled, Lex gave a set of clipped instructions to the driver before turning back to Chloe, who was looking at the passing scenery with interest.

"I've never been to Gotham before, it kinda looks a lot like Metropolis, only a little more garishly colored."

He smiled at her words, knowing she was trying to hide her nerves.

"Gotham is a strange city, Chloe. I hear it has lots of nocturnal residents."

She shot a raised eyebrow at him. "Like huge bats that seem to have a Clark Kent complex?"

Lex simply shrugged and gave her a mysterious smile. He was well aware of Batman- and his alter ego, just as he was aware of Clark and his strange powers.

"I swear, one day this Batman needs to meet Clark. Something tells me they'd hit it off great. And if Clark ever overcomes his fear of flying, who knows?"

Chloe exchanged another smile with Lex, knowing he understood completely what she was talking about. Clark had told all of them his secret a year ago and after the initial hurt of his keeping it from them for so long, they'd accepted it and moved on. Although the things Clark was capable of still amazed them both.

"The possibilities are endless I suppose."

Chloe knew he knew more than he was saying, but chose not to press him at the moment. The nerves were starting to come back. Turning back to the window, she was surprised to see the huge logo for Wayne Industries appear in front of her as the limo pulled to a stop at the front entrance.

"Lex?"

He smiled and reached for his briefcase. "Jaques is dropping me off first and then taking you to the nursing home. He'll wait until you're done there before bringing you back here."

She swallowed hard, knowing what Lex was doing. Providing her with a way out if she needed one. Unable to convey how thankful she was to him, she simply leaned over once again and brushed her lips across his.

Lex had been hoping, although not expecting, Chloe to make such a move. Without stopping to think, he reached out and pulled her closer, pressing their lips together as he lightly stroked his tongue over them. With a small moan, Chloe opened to him and the kiss became heated. Lex struggled for control, knowing things could go no further at the moment, but realizing just how much he wanted them to.

For what could have been moments or hours, Chloe lost herself in the wonder of truly kissing Lex. His lips were firm and strong and the probe of his tongue was making her knees weak. No one had ever kissed her like this before and she knew for a fact that no one ever would again.

When she finally pulled back for air, she found her breath coming in small pants as she stared into Lex's eyes, looking for any type of sign he regretted this. When she found only a heated desire reflected there, she managed a wry smile.

"What was that for?"

Lex smiled.

"Luck, maybe. Or to help you forget your worries for a moment or two." He smiled as he saw her small frown, thinking he'd done it out of pity. Reaching one fingertip to tilt her chin back up, he made sure her eyes were locked on his.

"Or it could have been because I've wanted to do that for months now." With that, he brushed another light kiss across her lips before slipping from the limo. He leaned back in a second later, not surprised to find her staring at him with a shocked expression. "Call me if you need anything. I'll keep my cell on." Slipping her a piece of paper with the number, he turned and walked into the building, whistling all the way.

~*~*~*~*~*~

Chapter 3

~*~*~*~*~

Chloe tried to calm her nerves as the nurse led her down a long hallway. She kept her eyes straight ahead, her mind focused on not reacting to the sight of her grandmother after so long. When they reached the end of the hallway, the nurse turned and entered a room, motioning Chloe to follow.

"Afternoon Mary, there's someone here to see you."

Taking a deep breath, Chloe walked into the room and found herself gazing at an old woman lying in a hospital bed. The woman there bore no resemblance to the one she'd known so many years ago, age and time having worn away at her appearance. Pasty white skin, thinning gray hair and frail hands and bones marked the signs of illness and old age. But when the woman opened her eyes and looked directly at her, she found herself staring into the familiar eyes of her grandmother.

"Chloe, I'm so glad you came."

Swallowing hard, she nodded as the nurse left with a smile. Moving carefully to the chair sitting next to the bed, she sank into it, trying to figure out what to say.

"I know this is difficult for you-"

"Yes, it is." Her words had a bitter tone although she tried to make them as normal as possible.

"I don't expect you to forgive me but I need you to hear me out. Maybe explaining why I shut you out and what I kept from you will give you some satisfaction." The plea in the words stirred something inside her although she kept her expression neutral. She nodded in reply as the old woman sighed before turning to gaze out the window into the sunny afternoon.

"I loved your grandfather more than I could ever say, which was why loosing him was so devastating. Your mother felt the same, only her way of dealing with the grief was to leave you and her family."

Chloe felt bitterness rising. "Grief, good excuse to dump your family. You raised her well." She ignored the flash of pain in the woman's eyes, hardening her heart.

"I suppose I deserved that, Lord knows your mother nor I have ever done right by you."

Chloe bit her lip at the words as her grandmother continued talking.

"Your grandfather and I had a wonderful relationship, although we did tend to argue and fight. Still, we always made up and the day I married him was the happiest of my life. Made more so because it came after one of the darkest periods in it."

Chloe's curiosity was growing as she tried to imagine what could have caused such problems for the couple she always remembered as smiling and happy.

"Right before we got engaged, your grandfather and I got into a terrible argument. I don't remember what it was about now, but it ended with him leaving for a business meeting out of town without anything resolved. Devastated and angry, I went to a bar that night, intending to drown my sorrows and forget about the man I loved."

Chloe felt a sinking sensation in her stomach, her mind already going in several different directions in which her grandmother's story might travel.

"While there, I met a young Air Force officer. He was in Metropolis on military business and was also going through a rough time with the woman he was dating. We found each other at that bar and started talking, and before I knew it- one thing led to another-"

"You slept with him?" Her words were accusing and she noted the wince that passed over her grandmother's face.

"Yes. It wasn't love, it was comfort. We both needed each other that night and it happened. And no matter what, I don't regret it. I'll never regret it."

The determination in her voice made Chloe uneasy. She was beginning to wonder if her overactive imagination was not so overactive after all. Almost dreading the answer, she knew she had to ask the question.

"Why?"

Her grandmother sighed but looked directly at her as she replied. "Your mother was conceived that night. And I'll always be grateful to Jacob for giving me her."

Chloe was trying to register the information through the whirling sensation that had taken over her mind. "You're saying that my grandfather, the man who I grew up loving more than life itself, was really not my grandfather? Someone night stand you had was the father of your child?"

The strength in the grip of the hand that shot out to cover her own startled her. Trying to pull away, she found herself unable to look away from the deep blue of her grandmother's eyes.

"Your grandfather loved you and your mother more than anything." The words were strong and sure and sent a chill down her spin. "He went to his grave thinking he was Amiee's father and in every way that counts, other than blood, he was. He also loved you more than life itself- that never changed. You always were and always will be his granddaughter."

Chloe finally managed to pull away from the strong grip, her mind still wanting to deny the facts. "You're sure that my mother was this man's child? They could have made a mistake-"

"Chloe, I had DNA tests done- there was no way Aimee could be my husband's. I kept that secret for years and was nearly ready to tell your mother when she passed away."

Chloe felt a small pang in her heart as her grandmother's eyes teared up. Anger immediately set in as she realized she did not want to feel anything involving her mother. Something of her feelings must have been given away in her expression because her grandmother's sigh was very loud.

"Chloe, you mother was a flighty, selfish woman, who in recent years, developed a serious drug problem. When she finally sought me out, asking for help, it was too late." The tear that slipped down the elderly woman's cheek made Chloe bite her tongue and try for an acerbic reply.

"Well, at least one mother and daughter mended fences. Obviously, she cared more for you than me." This time the words were meant to be bitter and she felt no guilt at saying them.

"Chloe, before she died, she wanted to talk to you. To apologize as best she could. She did love you, you know."

Harsh laughter seemed to be the only thing Chloe was capable of at the moment. "Right, she loved me so much she left and never once tried to contact me in more than 10 years. That's love all right."

Her grandmother's sigh did little to improve her mood.

"I know you don't believe me about your mother and I can accept that. But I needed to tell you my secret before I died."

"It's not a question of believing you," she said in frustration, "it's a question of me accepting the fact that after 10 years, my grandmother suddenly wants to start acting like one. How would you react?"

"Probably not as well as you seem to be." The shrewd voice had her turning her head back. "I deprived you of a grandmother- maybe knowing now about your true lineage will help you find a new family member or two."

"You want me to find a family? What makes you think I don't have one of my own." The anger was evident in her voice as she rose and began pacing. "Dad and I did just fine without Mom and we started a new life in Smallville. I've got friends and a surrogate mother. I don't need anyone else and I don't believe that you're trying to tell me I do!"

She finally calmed, noting her grandmother wore an agonized look although she had remained silent. Part of her wanted to strangle the woman- but another part could not help but be curious about what she'd learned and the repercussions it could have.

"Chloe, it was selfish of me to want to unburden myself, I know that, but I truly believe that someday, you might want to meet your biological grandfather's side of the family."

The words should have angered her more but instead, she found herself again sinking into the chair and staring in frustration at her grandmother. She hated feeling like she was giving into the woman's expectations but by now, she was curious about who her biological grandfather really was.

"Fine. Who is he?"

Her grandmother closed her eyes and sighed as Chloe tried not to squirm impatiently in the chair. She was startled however when the eyes opened again and a determined look appeared on her face.

"His name is Jacob Carter and I don't know where he is." She held up a frail hand as Chloe went to interrupt. "I never saw nor spoke to him after that night, he never knew about your mother. All I can tell you is that he was in the Air Force, flying classified missions he couldn't tell me much about."

Chloe frowned. "That's helpful. You want me to know my true grandfather, but you hardly know anything about him. And you slept with him based on that little information?"

The other woman sighed. "We were both emotional, one thing led to another and well, I wasn't proud of myself. But, Chloe, Jacob Carter is out there somewhere. It's your choice to find him or not, I've told you my secret and now I can die in peace."

She felt a sense of panic as her grandmother's eyes closed and she watched the heart rate monitor fall.

"Grandma?"

Against her will, her voice broke as she used the name she hadn't been able to in years. The tears that formed in the older woman's eyes made a lump appear in her throat, even though she didn't want to be moved.

"I know it's a lot to ask, your forgiveness for abandoning you and dropping all this on you so suddenly, but it means more to me than you'll ever know that you came here today, Chloe."

She bit her lip as she watched the frail woman lying in the bed smile. In it, she saw the love she'd unconsciously wanted from this woman for years. A tear slipped down her cheek against her will, even as her grandmother's eyes closed again. Still, she couldn't bring herself to say anything. Finally, when the silence had stretched on for longer than she could stand, she rose and wiped her cheeks.

"I think I'm going to go find a cup of coffee. Maybe when I find one, we can talk more about what you remember about Jacob Carter." The heartfelt smile she got in reply almost made her ashamed of feeling the need to leave.

"I'd like that." With the words, she closed her eyes again and sank back into the pillows, looking more tired and frail than she had before. Walking quietly from the room, Chloe tried to gather her thoughts as she went in search of a cafeteria. Finding one at the other end of the hallway, she sank into a chair, the steaming liquid in front of her.

After all these years, the one good memory of her childhood had now been stripped from her. She'd loved her grandfather, unconditionally. Her memories of him had gotten her through the pain of being abandoned by her mother and grandmother. He had been the one man, other than her father, that she could truly count on.

Now, it appeared that was all a lie. Her real grandfather was out there somewhere, completely unaware of her existence. Would he even want to know? Did she? What would it mean? Could she have cousins or aunts and uncles out there she didn't know about?

The questions were pounding her brain and she suddenly realized she needed to talk to her grandmother again. Maybe there was something she'd forgotten that would help her remember. Sighing, taking the coffee with her, she rose and headed back down the hall. A funny feeling hit her, however, as reached her grandmother's room and found two doctors and a nurse standing by the bed.

"Is she okay?"

The tears on the nurse's cheeks told her what she'd already figured out.

"I'm sorry. She passed away a few minutes ago."

The middle-aged doctor gave her a sympathetic smile before making a note on his chart and quietly excusing himself. Chloe walked over to look down at the peaceful figure of her grandmother. Part of her wanted to cry- but another part was numb.

There would be no more answers here. Once again, she was left alone to deal with a world uprooted. She had no real idea who she was, her family history or background, or anyone to tell her about it. The unfairness of the situation nearly made her knees buckle.

"I'm so sorry. But I know she was happier than I've seen her."

She simply nodded at the nurse, turning and walking from the room on autopilot. Making her way down the long hallway, it was almost a blessed relief to emerge into the hot sunlight. Closing her eyes, taking a deep breath of the stale air, she tried to relax. Opening her eyes a few minutes later, she noted that Lex's limo driver had pulled up in front of her and the man was getting out to open her door.

"Thanks, Jaques." The smile she got in return made her feel a little better.

"Back to Wayne Enterprises, Ms. Sullivan?"

She thought for a moment, looking at her watch and noting it was only 3pm. "Actually, can we just drive a little. I don't want to get there until at least 4. That should give Lex plenty of time to wrap things up."

"As you wish." With that, the door closed and she sank back into the plush leather, rubbing her temples to combat the headache she knew would only get worse.

'Okay, Chloe, pull it together! Sure your life just got more complicated but look at it as a mystery. You now have a past to uncover and if anyone can find this Jacob Carter, you can.'

Her little pep talk made her feel a bit better, but not much. The thought of finding all this out alone was a rather unappealing one. But she couldn't burden her father, not with the plant business needing his full attention. Pete, well, football took up too much time and research wasn't his forte. Clark, well, he was so involved in his Lana worship that he would only end up making things worse.

She wouldn't even allow herself to think of the one final option. Lex was far too busy with business, especially whatever was developing with Bruce Wayne, to take time to help her find a man who for all intents and purposes could be dead.

'Looks like you're on your own for this one Chloe-girl.'

Feeling even more despondent, she turned her gaze to the passing scenery and tried to tell herself that everything would work out all right.

~*~*~*~*~*~

TBC...

NS Full Member
    And i am the first to leave FB, yeah !! i love the way you write Chloe and Lex, i don't know, they seem so in character.
    And a SG1 crossover ? fantastic, but i wonder, with how secret the SG basis is, how Chloe will get access to it. Will she meet Samantha Carter first, or will Lex use his influence to get them there ?

Anyway, i was so pleased to see this fic posted so soon, i read your note about it only yesterday, but i wasn't expected it so soon. I hope you will post more soon, but i have to tell you something : you cost me a lot !! yeah, i am printing your fics (the crossover with the Pretender, and now this), and the ink for my printer !!! i won't say more, but i want to read it whenever i can, so i print my favorite fics.

You intend to finish "somebody save me", right ? despite this new fic ?

NS Full Member
    Oh, i forgot : if i am correct, Jacob Carter also has a son, who is married with children, but they don't get along well.
    Maybe you can mention him, but not really use him for this fic.
    And what about Lois ? is she still Chloe's cousin ? if Chloe's mother was a single child, it means that Lois's mother and Chloe's father are sister and brother. Yeah, well, i like that Lois and Chloe are cousins.

NS Full Member
    Oh wow, this is a really great idea hmy: I love it so far.

Chapter 4

(Note: For the purpose of this story, to clarify, Chloe and Lois aren't cousins. I kinda had to get rid of that to make the plot/premise work, so just figure Lois and Chloe aren't related... at least for this story&#33

~*~*~*~*~*~

Lex and Bruce were just wrapping up their business discussion when Bruce's secretary buzzed them that Chloe had arrived in the lobby.

"Send her up, Janet."

Bruce smiled in amazement as he watched his friend's expression change.

"I hope everything went all right. She was really nervous."

Gotham's resident billionaire hid his amusement as Lex's head inclined towards the door, a look he'd never seen on it before. That look, and Lex's words made Bruce even more determined to meet the woman who seemed to have his friend captivated. His smile widened as a few moments later a very pretty blonde walked into the room.

"Hope I'm not interrupting."

Chloe's eyes went immediately to Lex and something tugged inside her as she noted the concern on his expression. She fought back her tears and put on a brave face, knowing that last thing she could do was break down.

"Of course not, Bruce and I were just finishing up." Lex knew immediately that she was upset, although she was doing a good job of hiding it. Almost instinctively, he walked towards her and took her hand in his, squeezing it tightly as he pulled her forward. He saw her thankful smile and his heart did that funny little jump again.

Bruce watched the two quietly, amazed at what he was seeing. When the two did not seem inclined to break the stare, he cleared his throat, hoping to get their attention. His eyes twinkled as they both jumped as if startled before turning to face him.

"I assume you must be the Chloe Lex has been telling me about."

Chloe blushed, amazed she'd managed to forget who was in the room with them. She'd been too immersed in Lex's gaze. Turning her attention to the handsome man in front of her, she offered a genuine smile.

"I'm Chloe Sullivan and it's a pleasure to meet you Mr. Wayne."

Giving Lex's hand a grateful squeeze, she reluctantly released it and moved forward to shake the hand Bruce was holding out.

"The pleasure is mine Ms. Sullivan, might I call you Chloe?"

She smiled at his smooth voice, noting Lex tensed beside her. Amusement crept through her weary emotions as she wondered if Lex was jealous. Pushing the thought aside, she offered Bruce another smile.

"Only if I get to call you Bruce."

"Consider it done, would you like something to drink?" He motioned to the bar on one side of his office.

"No thanks, I'm fine."

Lex looked at her, able to sense the weariness in her voice. Uncaring that Bruce was watching, he slid a finger under her chin and pulled her face up to his.

"You're not fine, what happened?"

Chloe bit her lip, feeling the emotions surface despite her attempt to hold them back. She could only shake her head, not wanting to lose it in front of Bruce.

Lex shot his friend a look that Bruce knew well. Sighing, he rose from his chair.

"I'm going to leave you two to talk for a bit. Feel free to use the office as long as you want." He walked over and shook Chloe's hand again, before reaching for Lex's. "Lex, I'll send you those papers and we'll finalize what we talked about later next week."

"Thanks, Bruce. I'll call you tomorrow with the final details."

With a nod, the two men shook hands. Bruce took a look back at Chloe, feeling a slight bit of envy that she had met Lex before him.

"Chloe, I do hope you'll visit again. My home and hospitality are open to you whenever you would like."

The smile he got in reply seemed to brighten his office.

"I hope you know I'll take you up on that- as long as it involves an interview."

He laughed at the wry look Lex shot him, unable however to miss the warning in his friend's blue eyes. Shaking his head, he gave Lex a look that showed he was backing off.

"Get Lex to give you my number if you're in town again. It was a pleasure." With that, he reluctantly left the two to his office.

~*~*~*~*~

"He seems nice and I take it the meeting was a success?" Chloe knew she was stalling, but now that it was just the two of them, she remembered her earlier vow not to get Lex involved in her own personal hell.

"It was, but I want to hear what happened with you and your grandmother. What was the big revelation?"

He sat down next to her again and reached for her hand, heartened by the way she twined their fingers together.

"Well, it turns out my grandfather wasn't my grandfather." At his confused look, she took a deep breath and continued. "My grandmother had a one-night stand which produced my mother."

Lex sighed as he looked into her eyes, seeing the news had taken its toll. Remembering how much Chloe had loved the man she knew as her grandfather, he could only imagine what she was going through.

"She's sure?"

Chloe laughed harshly.

"She's sure. She never had the heart to tell anyone until now. My Mom died before she could and that I guess brought on he guilt complex. My grandmother had to tell me so she could die in peace."

The words struck a chord in Lex as he tightened his grip on her hand. "She died this afternoon, didn't she? Right after telling you this big secret?"

Chloe could only nod, finally allowing a tear to slip down her cheek. She closed her eyes as Lex lifted a palm to her face and his thumb brushed away the tear.

"It's okay to cry, Chloe. That's a pretty big bombshell to drop on your granddaughter before dying."

"B-but I shouldn't care!" The words were broken as she felt more hot tears slip down her cheeks. "I shouldn't care that she died after all she's put me through. I shouldn't care that a man I don't know is my biological grandfather. I shouldn't- but I do, Lex, and I hate it!"

With those words, she broke down into wracking sobs. Lex felt his heart go out to her and reached for her before he could think about his actions. Pulling her from her chair and into his lap, he wrapped his arms around her and pulled her head to his shoulder.

He stroked her hair lightly and whispered soothing, nonsense words as she sobbed, knowing she needed to get the grief and anger out and that this was the only way she would.

Chloe finally felt her sobs stop and with a small sniff, became aware she was being held tightly by a pair of strong arms. Sinking into Lex's embrace she didn't care if it was wrong. It felt too good to give up, especially with the turmoil her life had been thrown into.

"Chloe, you know the man you thought of as your grandfather will always be that to you."

His quiet voice had her nodding against his shoulder and he made a mental note of the fact that she made no move to pull away. Feeling strangely jubilant, he continued his soothing strokes on her hair as she relaxed against him.

"I know that. But what I hate even more is that now I'm curious." She sniffed as she raised her head to look into his eyes. "I want to know who my real grandfather is. I have to find out if I have family out there."

He looked at her and sighed. "Family has always been important to you, hasn't it?"

She looked at him for a moment before nodding. "I felt I had to try overly hard to make our family work when Mom left. Dad always told me we were fine on our own, but I've always wanted cousins or aunts and uncles."

He nodded, able to sympathize, having none himself. "If it helps, I think you've done a great job with your family. Both you and your father- and the family you've made in Smallville."

She smiled and snuggled a bit more comfortably on his lap. Glad he was not complaining, she continued.

"I do too, but now I have to find out more about this Jacob Carter. I won't be able to rest until I do."

Lex sighed before he turned to gaze at her. "Then I'll help you."

Chloe felt her heart leap with hope at his offer, knowing he meant it. Her heart fell again as she realized she could not accept.

"Lex, you've got a lot to worry about with the plant and your business with Bruce. I can't ask you to take time to do this with me-"

Lex stopped her with a finger placed gently over her lips. "I'll make the time. This is important to you so it's important to me. Besides, if we combine both our resources, we'll find this grandfather of yours even faster."

Chloe looked at him, unable to hide the hope in her eyes. "You're sure, Lex? Because I can do this alone- Pete and Clark are too busy and Lana wouldn't really understand-"

"You're not doing this alone. I'm with you all the way, Chloe. I wouldn't want it any other way."

Her heart healed a little at his words. Looking into his eyes, she knew he meant them. Smiling, she leaned up and brushed her lips against his. He responded immediately, flicking her lips with his tongue as she opened to him. The kiss deepened as their arms tightened around each other.

When the need for breath finally drew them apart, Chloe smiled at him. "A girl could get used to this." The words while delivered in a confident voice were bellied by the hesitancy in her eyes.

"So could a guy." Lex made the reply softly, giving her a smile in return. The look of happiness that lit up her face told him everything he needed to know for the moment. He knew they'd have to talk about whatever was developing between them soon, but it could wait a little longer. With a smile, he brushed a fingertip across her cheek.

"So, how would you feel about having dinner in Gotham before we head home?"

Chloe smiled. "It's exactly what I need to cheer me up. And maybe we can start planning our strategy for finding Jacob Carter."

He laughed as he slid her off his lap and rose as well. "I think that can be arranged. Your chariot awaits, Madame." Glad to hear her laugh, he linked their hands as they left the room.

~*~*~*~*~

Chloe smiled as she relaxed against Lex's shoulder as the jet brought them closer to home. He had taken her to a little Italian place in the center of town and they'd had a quiet dinner. At least, quiet on his part. She was surprised to learn how good a listener Lex could be and by the end of dinner, she'd filled him in on everything she'd learned.

On the way back to the jet, they'd been discussing ways to locate Jacob Carter and Lex, not to her surprise, had a wealth of contacts in the military. He'd promised to make some inquiries the next day and she planned to check with several of her more dubious contacts as backup. Now they were quietly relaxing, simply enjoying the others company.

Lex felt something he hadn't in a long time as Chloe relaxed against him- comfort. For some reason, this spitfire of a woman had the power to calm and soothe him like no other. Something remarkable especially after the day she'd had.

"What are you thinking?"

Her soft voice made him smile as his arm tightened around her. "Just that we make a pretty good team."

She smiled and looked up at him. "I have to agree. In several different ways." She held her breath, knowing she was taking a risk, but needing to know where they stood. It was a discussion they needed to have and the sooner the better. Before she did something stupid- like jumping him then and there.

Lex held her gaze, seeing the hesitancy in her beautiful eyes. Something in his heart shifted at that moment and he knew that no matter what, he was not going to let this opportunity pass.

"I agree wholeheartedly with that." Her relieved smile made him sigh in relief. Still, there were a few things they needed to discuss. His face sobered as he reached over and cupped her cheek in the palm of his hand.

"Chloe, this isn't going to be easy. People won't like the fact that we're, well-"

"Dating?" She smiled as he nodded. Placing a hand over his she made sure he could see she meant her next words. "Lex, I really don't care. Our true friends will support us and those that don't, well, we don't need them."

Her fire and determination made something inside him proud. Not to mention the fact that she obviously had no problems with the thought of dating him. Leaning over, he captured her lips in a gentle kiss.

Chloe sighed into the kiss, amazed at what he could make her feel from the simple action. She'd been kissed before but no one had ever made her feel like Lex did. And after the shake up she'd gotten today from her grandmother, it was wonderful to find something stable and solid in the midst of the chaos.

Lex lost himself in the taste of Chloe, delighted when she responded so sweetly to the kiss. He deliberately kept it gentle, not wanting to start something he knew could not be finished tonight. Still, it didn't mean he was adverse to kissing her as often as he could.

When they finally parted for breath, Chloe smiled and snuggled back against his side. Feeling content, he allowed his head to rest against hers as the rhythm of her breathing lulled him into a light sleep.

~*~*~*~*~

Chloe sipped her coffee and rubbed her eyes, which had begun to blur from staring at a computer screen for several hours. She'd been working non-stop to find anything she could about Jacob Carter. Lex's contacts were also working, although she had been warned it would take a few days to get through the red tape.

She'd given Clark, Pete and Lana an edited version of what had occurred, simply telling them what her grandmother had said about her grandfather and about the death. They'd been sympathetic and offered to help however they could. She's thanked them, but said she had it under control.

As for the change in her and Lex's relationship, well, they hadn't told anyone yet. They simply hadn't had time. Lex had been immersed in business with Bruce and she had to play catch up with her school work and the Torch. Still, he'd invited her over for dinner tonight and they planned a trip to the Talon after for coffee. If they ran into their friends, then so be it.

Forcing her attention back to the computer screen, she tried to focus on the latest search she'd done on Jacob Carter. Surprisingly, it had been easier and harder than she'd thought. Military records located and detailed three Jacob Carters' and she'd been trying to narrow them down for the past few hours.

So far, she'd managed to find that at least one of them was dead and had been for three years. There wasn't much information on him except that he had been single- and 30. Which immediately eliminated him as a candidate for her grandfather.

Searching through the latest round of sites, her eyes lit up as she found some information on a Jacob Carter who served in the military. Clicking on the site, she frowned as she saw herself facing a picture of a teenager. A quick check of the facts put him out of contention as well.

Which on the bright side, narrowed her search down to one. And he had to be her grandfather. He was the only possibility left. Sighing, she rubbed her forehead and went back to searching the military databases she'd managed to access. She winced when she thought of the favors she'd had to call in to get the codes and she could only hope that no one would stumble upon her while doing this.

"Interesting web site you're hacking."

She jumped at the low voice near her ear, smiling as she amended there was one person she didn't mind stumbling on her illegal activities. Leaning back into the hands he placed on her shoulders, she moaned softly as he began kneading her tense muscles.

"That feels wonderful, Lex. Don't stop."

His soft chuckle was low against her ear.

"Oh how I want to hear you say those words in a completely different context."

She blushed, even as heat swept through her body and she felt a low arousal begin to build. Truth was, either could she, but she really couldn't find the power to speak at the moment. His ministrations felt too good.

"So, your research turn up anything interesting on your grand- Jacob Carter?" He cursed at the slip as he felt her shoulders tense again. He kneaded a little harder, hoping she understood he hadn't meant it to hurt.

"It's okay, Lex. He is my grandfather, whomever he is. I have to accept that." She sighed as she clicked on another site, her eyes perking up at what she read. "Lex, I think I found something!"

He leaned over to read with her as she perused the article, reading various portions out loud in the empty office.

"Major Samantha Carter, noted astrophysicist and daughter of Retired Major General Jacob Carter was honored for her work on deep space radar telemetry. Her groundbreaking thesis is helping scientists and physicists learn new techniques of studying what just might be 'out there' in space. Major Carter currently works for the government and resides in Colorado Springs. Her father is retired, but works as a military liaison on various diplomatic missions."

"That's got to be him! There's hardly any information, he'd be the right age and though retired, he still works for the Air Force!"

Lex sighed, knowing how eager she was to find any information. And while he was tempted to agree with her about this, he didn't want her getting her hopes up to soon.

"Chloe, it's definitely a possibility, but don't get too excited until we check it out thoroughly-"

"But, Lex, don't you see? This Samantha Carter, she could be my aunt! And she's got to know what's up with her father. I could have an aunt and maybe another uncle or something in Colorado Springs!"

Chloe knew she was getting too excited but something told her she'd found her grandfather. Anxiously, she started searching for more information on Major Samantha Carter and much to her annoyance, came up with the same basic facts. That in and of itself struck her curiosity.

"Lex, does it strike you as odd that there's so little about a woman who seems to have done so much?"

Lex was not surprised she'd picked up on that fact as well. Chloe was a lot smarter than most people gave her credit for. Not that he'd ever underestimate her, mind you. And there was something else about this Samantha Carter, lingering at the back of his mind, although he couldn't place it yet.

"Extremely. Let me give this information to my contact with the military and see what he can find. Can you live with that for the moment before you go do something rash?" He gave her a raised eyebrow at her pretend hurt look.

"Rash? Me do something rash, Lex? I'm hurt."

Her words made him smile. "I only speak from experience, Chloe."

She remained silent, knowing he spoke the truth. Still, it didn't stop her from giving him a small smile.

"Point taken, but can you talk to your people today?"

He smiled and kissed her lightly on the lips as he pulled out his phone. "I'm already on it."

She smiled as she watched him talk quickly with someone on the other end for a few moments. When he'd finished, he shut the phone and held out a hand.

"Greg is working on it now. But until he finds something, there's not much we can do." At her groan of frustration he smiled and grabbed her hand. "But I do seem to recall something about inviting you to the mansion for a wonderful dinner and even better company."

Her laughter was lighter than it had been in days. Reaching up to brush a light kiss across his lips, she whispered her reply in his ear. "I hope you can live up to that statement."

With a laugh of his own, he led her from the room.

~*~*~*~*~*~

"You sure you want to do this?"

Chloe took a deep breath before tightening her grip on his hand. "Very sure. They'll have to find out sooner or later and I'd rather it be sooner."

Lex smiled at her as he brushed a light kiss over her lips. She still tasted of the wine they'd had at dinner and something unique that he'd been unable to describe except as simply "Chloe."

"Well, if it's any consolation, I'd say your father took the news pretty well."

Chloe winced at Lex's words, although he did have a point. They'd both sat Gabe down earlier tonight and carefully broached the subject. After a rather loud argument between father and daughter, then a quiet discussion between Lex and her father, which neither was willing to talk about, Gabe had agreed to let them date. She still wasn't sure what Lex had told her father, but she wasn't going to complain since it seemed to have worked. Now the challenge was their friends.

"All right then, damn the torpedoes."

Smiling, she allowed him to pull her into the building. Not letting go of his hand, she waved to Lana behind the counter. The expression of surprise on the brunette's face almost made her laugh.

Lex noted her amusement and turned his gaze to his co-owner, giving her an amused smile. "Our regular's Lana," he called to her as he led Chloe to what had become their booth.

"One down, two to go," he murmured in her ear as he settled in next to her.

"Yeah, and she's the one I think will be most accepting," Chloe said with a small laugh.

"Number two approaching."

At Lex's conspiratorial whisper, she turned to see Clark enter the Talon, his gaze immediately going to Lana. Obviously concerned about the expression Lana wore, he headed straight for her.

"Here we go," she muttered under her breath as Lex slid an arm around her shoulders and she snuggled closer as Clark's gaze turned their way. Both of them couldn't help but smile at the look that crossed the young man's face.

"Think he's a little surprised?"

Lex's grin turned evil. "If he's not, I'm sure he will be after I do this." Catching her amused expression, he leaned over and captured her lips with his. Opening immediately to him, she allowed her arms to wrap around his shoulders as he kissed her senseless, lips and tongues tangling in a sensual battle.

"Um- what's gotten into you two?"

Clark's stunned voice brought them both out of their haze. Turning to face him, Lex kept his arm around Chloe, a wary look in his eyes.

"Nothing's gotten into us, Clark. In fact, it's pretty simple. Chloe and I are dating."

He waited for the words to be absorbed, seeing the confusion appear in his friend's eyes.

"Dating? When? Where? Why?"

Chloe was a little annoyed that he seemed so put out. Sliding closer to Lex, she looked at him with a frown.

"Actually, we've only been dating for a few days and the why's and where's are none of your business. I hope you'll be happy for us though."

She held her breath as she waited for his reply. After a moment of obvious struggle, Clark sighed and sat down across from him, staring at them carefully.

"I don't know what to think." He ran a hand through his hair in a move that both Lex and Chloe knew reflected his confusion. "I mean, you two are my best friends and it's kinda weird-"

"Why is it weird, Clark? Chloe and I are people just like you, is it wrong for us to want to be together?"

Chloe raised her eyes at Lex and jabbed him lightly in the side. "Okay, I see where you're going but you have to admit, billionaire playboy and high school student isn't exactly normal. Not that I'm complaining," she said as he raised an eyebrow at her.

"I should hope not." Lex kissed her quickly again, glad to see her eyes glaze over. Turning his gaze back to Clark, he waited to see what his friend would say.

"I guess, it's just going to take a little getting used to. You guys seem happy though."

Lex felt a sense of relief, not wanting to admit how much he'd been depending on Clark's acceptance. Chloe too smiled at her friend, relieved that he was not going to oppose them. Turning to smile at Lex, she found his gaze relieved as well.

"Well, that's two down, although I can't wait to hear what Lana has to say-"

"Actually, I think she'd say she's a little surprised, but in a good way!"

All three turned as the brunette reached their table carrying three coffees. Chloe bit her lip as she waited for something else from her roommate.

"She's talking about herself in third person, is that good?"

Lex's amused voice broke the silence as Chloe burst into laughter and Clark and Lana smiled.

"Seriously, it's a little bit of a shock to see you two, but watching you, it just seems right."

Chloe gave Lana a heartfelt smile as she felt Lex's arm tighten on her shoulders.

"Well, now we've got one left, and he's headed this way."

Chloe turned at Lex's words to see Pete making his way towards them, a confused expression on his face. As he reached the table, he looked at them carefully. Sliding into the seat next to Clark, he focused his gaze on Chloe.

"Please tell me I'm hallucinating."

Chloe frowned as she felt Lex tense and tried to soothe him by placing her hand on his thigh. She had to ignore the fact that he tensed even more at her touch.

"You're not, Pete. Lex and I are dating and I hope you won't have a problem with it." She bit her lip again as her friend stared between them for a few moments.

"You're really happy with him?"

She nodded at his words, seeing his gaze focus on Lex.

"You hurt her Luthor and I'll have to hurt you."

Lex nodded, feeling something in his chest loosen at the nod he received from the young man.

With a sigh, Pete looked over to Lana.

"I need a coffee, black. Then I want to hear how this started." Pete gave Lana a pleading look and she smiled before disappearing behind the counter. Turning back to his friends, he sighed again. "Who wants to start?"

With a relieved smile at Lex, Chloe began to explain.

~*~*~*~*~

Chapter 5

~*~*~*~*~

Chloe was putting the finishing touches on an article about student views on the current situation in the Middle East when the Torch office phone rang. Absentmindedly reaching for the receiver she gave her automatic greeting.

"Torch office, this is Chloe, how can I help you?"

"Well, you could tell me what you're wearing right now, in exact and very sensual detail."

She blushed at Lex's low voice a stupid grin crossing her face as she shot back a reply.

"You sure you want to know- you know an older man like you has to watch his blood pressure. Wouldn't want it to skyrocket or anything."

Clark shot her a glance as she allowed Lex's laughter to wash over her. Pete simply rolled his eyes and pretended to plug his ears as he worked away on another computer in the room.

"Well, I think I can handle you, but I think you'll want to hear what I found out about Jacob and Samantha Carter-"

"Really? You already got some information?" She couldn't help the excitement that colored her voice, noting Pete and Clark had stopped what they were doing completely and were now looking at her curiously.

"Feel like stopping by the mansion when you're done? I'll have the cook make something for dinner and tell you what I found out."

"Sounds like a plan, I'll be there as soon as I finish this layout."

"I'll be waiting and, Chloe, I can't wait to see what you're really wearing."

His low chuckle sent a tingle down her spine as she hung up, turning to give her friends an excited look. "Lex found something out about my biological grandfather- the man works fast!"

"I'll say," Pete muttered under his breath, earning a wry look from Chloe. Holding up his hands, he tried to smile. "I'm trying, Chloe, give me that."

She nodded, turning to see an unusual expression on Clark's face. If she didn't know him so well, she'd almost have called it wistful.

"Clark, you okay?"

He started, then looked at her with a sheepish smile. "Sorry, I was just thinking how nice it must be to at least have an idea where you come from, even if it's a complete shock from what you were always told."

She nodded sympathetically at him, realizing the issues of his adoption- and his other worldly origins- still ran deep. Smiling she tried to lighten the mood.

"Well, all I can say is that I'm not too sure about this ready made family I might have found. There's more 'Top Secret' notations about them in my research than I've ever seen."

"That's not a bad thing, maybe they're part of some top secret military operation- you know, exploring unknown worlds, finding and using alien technology to build weapons to fight wars-"

Chloe and Clark looked at Pete with irritated expressions. The young man just shrugged. "Who knows, stranger things have happened- look at your wall, and a certain someone sitting in this room if you don't believe me. No offense, Clark."

Chloe bit her lip, realizing he had a point. Clark, if nothing else, was living proof that other worlds, even aliens, though he hated the term, existed. Someday, if she was lucky, she might be the one to uncover them. It was something to keep her going. But for the moment, she had other matters to worry about. Sighing, she turned back to her computer, determined now to finish quickly and head to Lex's.

~*~*~*~*~*~

"So from everything my investigator could find, it appears that the time frame of events your grandmother spoke about would fit with this Jacob Carter's life. I'd say there's a 99 percent chance we've found your biological grandfather- although no one seems to know where he is. The official word through the military is that he's on some top secret diplomatic assignment- even though he's retired."

Lex watched as Chloe absorbed everything he'd told her. They were sitting on the couch in his office, relaxing with after dinner coffee. He was not surprised to note the look of intense concentration on Chloe's face as she processed his words, trying to accept them.

The wealth of information Lex had turned up stunned Chloe, although she knew it shouldn't have. Lex had money and many means of getting information she'd rather not know about, but it was still a little awing to see actually happen. Taking a deep breath, knowing it was decision time, she turned to look at him.

"So how do you think my possible aunt would react to a call from me asking if her father remembered a one night stand that possibly produced her half-sister?"

Lex simply looked at her and she knew the question had only one answer. Unfortunately, it was the only option she could see and from his expression, she knew he agreed.

"So, I don't suppose your people found a contact number-"

She stopped as Lex held out a piece of paper. Looking into his eyes for a moment, she took the paper and turned her gaze to it. To her surprise, it was a dossier on one Major Samantha Carter, complete with biography, accomplishments, and more importantly, an address and phone number.

"Do I even want to know how you got this?"

Lex smiled at her wry tone, knowing she really didn't care but was simply speaking to ease her nerves.

"Probably not, but if you want to call, the phone's over there."

He remained silent as she obviously engaged in an inner battle with herself, the expressions crossing her lovely features telling him all too clearly how conflicted she was. His heart ached for her, knowing that whatever decision she made, her life would be irrevocably altered. He didn't envy her- but he would support her and do whatever she needed to get through this.

Chloe knew what she had to do, there really was no question. She just had to be brave enough to face facts. Looking up into Lex's understanding eyes, she reached over and grabbed his hand.

"Hold my hand while I do this?"

Her soft question brought a lump to his throat and he answered without words, using his eyes and the soft kiss he placed on her lips instead. Rising, he pulled her with him and over to the phone.

Smiling gratefully at him, she reached for the phone and before she could regret it, dialed the number. Her grip tightened on his hand when the receiver was picked up and she heard a 'hello' from the other end.

~*~*~*~*~

Colorado Springs: Major Sam Carter's Apartment

Major Samantha Carter hadn't known that when she'd woken up this morning, her life would be irrevocably altered by the end of the day.

She arose mid morning, amazed she'd slept in. SG-1 was on mandatory downtime for a few days while Daniel recovered from the latest injuries he'd suffered on their last mission to PX6-434. The archaeologist was like a brother to her but she still found herself annoyed at the fact that when Daniel got excited over an artifact, he tended to lose all thought of his safety.

Still, he was doing fine and all of SG-1, plus Janet and Cassie, had decided to get together for a cookout tonight. Since the kitchen of Jack's place was being remodeled- she'd opened her apartment to everyone. Which meant a day spent cleaning and stocking the kitchen with the Colonel's favorite brand of beer and plenty of sodas that she knew Cassie and Teal'c liked.

Putting on one of her favorite CD's she set about her task, singing along to the upbeat music. Several hours and two trips to the grocery store later, she was proud to say her place was ready for whatever her self-made family would do to it.

Noting that her guests would soon be arriving, she slipped into the shower and ten minutes later was ready to go. It was already a quarter after 5 and everyone was heading over around 5:30. Heading to the kitchen to make sure the dip she'd made was doing okay, singing along to the music blasting through her living room, she barely heard the ring of the phone.

Quickly moving to turn the stereo down, she grabbed the receiver and managed a breathless 'hello,' wondering which of her friends it might be.

"Um, hi. Is this Samantha Carter?"

The unfamiliar female voice made her frown, along with the fact that the person addressing her had not called her 'Major' which meant it probably was not anyone connected with work. And the polite, almost nervous tone sounded nothing like those annoying telemarketers.

"Yes, this is she, may I ask who's calling?"

"Hi. I'm Chloe Sullivan. I know you've never heard of me and maybe I'm way off base here, but um, well, I, uh-"

The nervousness of the voice to her surprise did not worry her. That in itself should have set off warning bells in her mind but instead it brought out a sympathetic side she usually kept well hidden from her colleagues.

"Hi, Chloe. What can I do for you?"

There was a strained pause, almost as if the woman was surprised at the calm reply. Waiting for an answer, Sam bit her lip, wondering at the strange feeling in her stomach as the silence dragged on. "Chloe?"

She thought she heard a deeper, lower voice say something in the background and heard a small intake of breath, almost as if the woman was gathering up her courage to speak.

"Ms. Carter, this is going to sound really strange and you probably won't believe me, but, um, I think you might be my aunt."

Sam didn't know what she'd been expecting, but it certainly wasn't that. Staring at the receiver for a moment, she tried to process a reply.

"Your aunt? I don't know about your family tree but I can tell you, I don't remember a Chloe in mine, no offense."

There was a long sigh on the other end of the line.

"I know. It's kinda a long story and probably sounds more like one of those TV mini-series to tell you the truth but I wonder if you'd at least hear me out before thinking I'm some lunatic."

Sam bit her lip, knowing she should just hang up, but finding something was keeping her on the line.

"Okay, I'm listening."

Another deep breath and then a flow of words that astonished her.

"My grandmother, Mary Spader, recently died and before she did, she told me that a one-night stand she'd had with an Air Force officer named Jacob Carter produced my mother, Aimee. I didn't believe her, especially since I truly loved the man who I believed was my grandfather. But my grandmother said she had records and samples of blood tests that proved it- although she died before I could ask where. My Mom also recently died and my grandmother was feeling guilty and she had to tell me before she died of this big secret she'd been keeping in hopes that I'd find Jacob Carter and maybe get to know my biological grandfather. I did some research and came up with your name and connection to Jacob Carter and well- I just thought I'd take the incredibly risky step of calling you, although now I'm not so sure it was a good idea-"

Sam stared at the phone in shock, amazed not only at what she'd just heard, but the fact that it had come out in one breath. Even Daniel wasn't that good, and the man could ramble with the best of them.

"Um, Major Carter?"

"I'm here, I just, well, I don't know what to say."

Which was the truth, she had no idea how to even process this girl's story. Her father and another woman? She knew, or had heard stories, of the rocky days before her parents actually got married but still, could he possibly have had a child with another woman and not known about it?

"I know it's weird and strange and I won't blame you if you don't believe me, heck I know I'd have a hard time taking it all in-"

"Well, you have to admit, it is rather a shock. Not to mention my dad never mentioned anyone he had been involved with other than my mother-"

"Oh, it wasn't while he was with your mother. According to my grandmother, it was before either of them were married but both were having a rough time with their significant others. To her, it was a night of comfort and a way to forget- although that sounds really bad as I say it out loud-"

"No, I've heard stories about my dad's wilder years before he and Mom got married but this- well, I just don't know what to think."

"I know it's presumptuous of me to ask, but is there any chance you could ask your father? I know I probably have no right to even ask that of you, but I just, well, I need to know, if you can understand-"

Sam sighed. "I do understand, Chloe. And for what it's worth, as bizarre as this all sounds, I don't blame you for wanting to know the truth. I'd like to ask my dad about this and see if there's any truth to it before I think more on what it could mean, if you understand that-"

"Of course. It could all be for nothing and I've just made a fool of myself in front of you, or at least on the phone to you, and I promise if there's nothing to it, I'll never bother you again-"

"It's okay, Chloe, but it's going to take a few days to contact my dad and talk to him. Could I maybe get your number and give you a call when I do?"

Sam heard a relieved sigh and reached for a pen to take down the name and number of one Chloe Sullivan. After saying an awkward good-bye, she put down the phone and started at it in silence. A moment later, she rose and walked over to a picture she kept on one of the living room tables. It was her Mom and dad, smiling and laughing- taken just a few days before she had died. They looked happy and in love, which was what made it all harder to imagine her father with someone else.

Still, the thought that she and her brother might have had a half-sister out there- not to mention if her father hadn't known he had another daughter- was enough to make her mind twist in crazy, unwelcome circles.

Then there was this Chloe herself. The girl sounded intelligent and she had to admit, gutsy. It took a lot to be able to call a virtual stranger and ask if she were her aunt. An aunt. Her mind boggled at that thought as well. She hardly saw her brother's children, simply because of work, and she very much regretted the fact that they were more casual acquaintances than family. But here was a girl, who she didn't know too much about, come to think of it, that could be her niece.

And she'd thought quantum physics was a challenge.

The knock on her front door startled her from her thoughts and she jumped, forcing her expression to even out. She would put this aside for tonight and enjoy her time with her friends. She'd get General Hammond to contact the Tok'ra tomorrow and arrange a meeting with her father as soon as possible. Feeling a little better, she opened the door with a wide smile to greet her friends.

~*~*~*~*~*~

Smallville: Luthor Mansion

"Well, that wasn't so bad, was it?"

Lex was trying to make his voice soothing as he watched Chloe pace in front of him. She'd been moving back and forth restlessly ever since hanging up the phone with Samantha Carter.

"Bad? It was terrible, Lex! She probably thinks I'm a nut case and will never call back in her lifetime!" She ran her hands through her hair, disgusted at how wimpy she'd sounded.

"Chloe-"

"I'm supposed to be this take no prisoners, show no fear journalist and I can barely make it through a phone conversation with a woman who has a degree in astrophysics? Who, not to mention, might be my aunt, if she believes her father had a one-night stand while dating her mother?"

Lex gave up, deciding she needed to rant. His heart ached a little more for her at seeing her usually bright and unshakable demeanor so rattled. He didn't like the unsure, questioning herself version of Chloe Sullivan he was being shown. It scared him in a way because he didn't like to think of her as unsure. Another part of him however was relieved to see she was able to show her fear and not act like the hard-nosed reporter she claimed she wanted to be.

"God, she'll probably never call and write me off as a flake. Which might be for the best because who would want a grown niece suddenly appearing out of the blue and wanting an aunt-"

"Chloe, if this proves true and she doesn't want to get to know you, you're better off without her." Lex saw her eyes spark at his words and he quickly held up a hand. "I'm not saying she won't want to get to know you, in fact, I think, from the background I've read on her, she's probably just as intrigued and confused as you are. And you've had longer to get used to the idea."

Chloe sighed, a bit of the tension in her easing at Lex's matter of fact attitude. She would be eternally grateful that he did not pull a Clark and assure her everything would turn out all right. He was being honest with her and listening to her without making judgments and that was worth more than she could ever tell him.

"You really believe that?"

The words were unsure and she hated how weak they sounded, but the look in Lex's eyes told her he didn't think any less of her.

"Come here." He whispered the words and held out his arms, glad to note she walked right into them, wrapping her arms tightly around his waist and burying her head against his shoulder.

"I promise you, Chloe. This will work out. And even if it doesn't, you've still got your father, your friends, and me. We're your family, Chloe, blood related or not."

Feeling tears threatening, she sniffed and pulled back to look him in the eye.

"You really mean that?"

His smile was reassurance enough as he leaned down to kiss her lightly.

"More than you'll ever know." With that, he pulled her tighter against him and closed his eyes, wondering how in the world he'd gotten so lucky as to find this woman. He was fast beginning to realize he did not want to ever let her go.

~*~*~*~*~*~

The Next Day: SGC Headquarters

"Dad, you're saying you remember this Mary Spader?"

Sam's voice, to her credit, was calm despite the seesawing emotions buffeting her body. Her father sat across from her inside one of the SGC briefing rooms, a strange look on his face. He'd come only a few hours after her call, much to her surprise.

"Mary, yes I do. It was an amazing night, one I've never forgotten although it was just that, one night." Jacob stopped as he noted her pained look. With a small sigh, he reached over and grabbed her hand.

"Sam, this happened before I married your Mom. She was having problems dealing with all the missions I had to fly and we'd argued terribly before I'd left." His eyes begged hers to understand and he could sense Selmac was listening intently as well.

"So you slept with another woman to get back at her?" She knew her voice was accusing but she couldn't help it. Her father had pretty much admitted he'd had sex with this Mary Spader person. Which mean it was probably true that Chloe's mother was her half-sister.

"It wasn't like that, Samantha." Her father's voice was resolute as he tried to explain. "Neither of us loved each other, we simply needed comfort, something we weren't getting at the moment from our significant others. Neither of us meant it to happen, it just did. That's all it was, however. We parted ways the next morning and never saw each other again, thinking it was just one night and there would be no consequences."

"There apparently were, Dad. A little girl named Aimee Carpenter who if this Chloe Sullivan is to be believed, was your daughter!"

Jacob felt something in his heart expand at the thought he might have had another child out there somewhere. Wonder at the fact however was mixed with a huge sense of guilt and a little anger at the fact that Mary had never told him about the child.

/It seems a normal reaction, Jacob. This woman kept a huge secret from you, although by your admission, neither of you wanted a relationship past that night./

/I know, Selmac. But if it is true, there is, or was, a little girl who grew up there with my blood in her veins and she never knew it. My child, Selmac!/

"Dad?"

Sam knew her father and Selmac were having a discussion and she really wanted to be a part of it. Sometimes, even though she hated to admit it, she felt a little jealous of the relationship the two shared, even though she knew it was unfounded.

"Sorry, Selmac was just trying to understand."

She sighed, turning her gaze to her clasped hands.

"So, do you think I should invite Chloe out? Do some blood work and see for sure if her grandmother was telling the truth? It sounds so heartless, especially when she could be my half-sister's child-"

"She must be as curious as you sweetheart. And from what you've told me, I gather she would welcome all the tests you want to prove if there is any truth to the story." Jacob watched as his daughter struggled with her emotions.

"Would you want to see her? I mean, would it be too awkward, especially since her mother died?"

Jacob rubbed his forehead, trying to sort through his emotions. The pain of knowing he could have possibly lost a daughter he hadn't even known he'd had was weighing his emotions- along with the more hopeful thought that her child, his granddaughter, could fill in a lot of blanks. There was also the worry however that he would be a horrible grandfather, looking at how he'd done so far with his other two children.

/Sam and your son love you, Jacob. You have had your problems but you are working them out. This Chloe could be another chance to do things differently from the start./

/Why do you always have to be right?/

Jacob frowned at his simbiote, noting Sam was watching him with a confused look. He suddenly realized he hadn't answered her question.

"I think I'd like to meet her, regardless of what the tests say. It takes a very brave person to make this step and reach out to the unknown, not that I am surprised. It's a trait I seem to notice in my own daughter."

Sam smiled as her father reached over to clasp her hand tightly. Strangely enough, she felt better about things, especially knowing her father wanted to meet Chloe as well.

"I'll call her back and see if she can come out sometime within the next few weeks, does that work with your schedule?"

Jacob nodded.

"Just summon me when she arrives and I will make sure to come back."

Sam nodded as they both rose and her father came over to give her a hard hug. "Selmac says we're both doing the right thing, if that helps any."

"Words from the wise, I suppose." Sam laughed with her father as the two walked arm and arm from the room. Smiling to herself, she made a mental note to call Chloe that evening.

~*~*~*~*~

TBC...

Spunky Chick Senior Member hfce's Avatar
    I the updates. Great job keep the chapters coming.

Hope :chlexsign2:
    "Everyone seems normal until you get to know them. "

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information