PDA

View Full Version : Between the Lines 1/1 R (Completed)

Joy
15th November 2003, 00:45
Between the Lines 1/1
R/slightly AU
The (hopefully) long awaited sequel to Puppets, inspired by the oh-so-hot/cool scenes in Magnetic!
Archive? Go for it!
Spoiler: Magnetic, and other season 3 episodes is fair game.

Between the Lines

“I’ll protect you.”

The words echoed in Chloe’s ears as she typed at her laptop, though her mind still with the meeting with Lex. It seemed like years ago when she was so confident in telling Lex that she knew what she was doing, and that she could play his father’s game and get out of it alive...

“Still working?”

Chloe looked up as Lex entered the room. “Have you read everything?”

Lex nodded. “I have to wonder how a high school reporter can get all the information that a team of highly priced detectives couldn’t even get a hold of.”

Chloe shrugged. “That’s for me to know and you to find out.”

The young Luthor accepted her answer as he stared at her. “I’m surprised that you’re working here alone at this time of the night knowing exactly what my father can do to you.”

“I’m not afraid.”

Lex smirked. “Say that again with more conviction and I may just believe you.”

Chloe rolled her eyes, but refused to give Lex the satisfaction of acknowledging that he was right. ‘you told me that you would protect me.”

Lex’s eyes hardened. “I gave you my word, Chloe. I intend to keep it.”

“My father?”

“Of course.” Lex replied without hesitation. “I would never let anything happen to you or Gabe.”

Chloe nodded. “Thank you.”

“Do you regret it?”

Chloe looked away from Lex as she began to gather the papers around her desk and started filing them in folders. “Regret what?”

“Selling your soul to the devil for a column for the Daily Planet.”

Lex watched as Chloe’s hands froze for a moment, even if her face remained impassive as she looked at him. “I sold my soul in anger, as much as I hate to admit it, I’m as petty as your average teenager when it comes to broken hearts.”

“That doesn’t answer my question.”

Chloe looked at Lex straight in the eye. “Sometimes. I’ve always wanted to write for the Daily Planet, now I am. I’m also paying the price, but I’m sure as hell will make sure that my father doesn’t.”

“Like I said. Your father is in my protection now, Chloe.”

“What’s your plan now?”

Lex smirked. “You’ll just have to trust me on that.”

“You really don’t think I’ll hand all the information I have on your father and just let you do all the work…”

“You have more?” Lex asked, while completely surprised that Chloe had more stories to tell, his voice and his face hid his reaction.

“I’m not about to fight the devil empty handed.” Chloe answered, insulted that he thought the file she handed him was all that she got. “Of course I have more.”

Lex stared intently at Chloe. “You do realise you wouldn’t be in this position if you listened to me before.”

Chloe snorted. “Please Lex, I was already involved even before you came to me that night. Listening to you wouldn’t have changed anything. Your father would still have threatened my dad, and I still would be digging all this dirt…”

“Which would have been completely unnecessary if you really knew what you were getting into, as you so articulately informed me that night.”

“I made a mistake Lex. If you want to be childish with the whole ‘I told you so’, why don’t you just stick out your tongue as well…”

“I’d rather stick it elsewhere.”

Chloe pretended not to hear, but Lex was still equally blessed with a blush, and a muttered ‘I bet you do’

“Look at it this way Lex, you said so yourself. I manage to find information on your dad you never managed to find. From your point of view, this whole thing would be a blessing. I’m giving you crumbs of what you can use to bring down your father.”

“As heartless as I may want to be Chloe, I’d rather keep the body count into a minimum when I bring my father down. You saw for yourself what he did to his own man. Don’t think he won’t do the same to you.”

“With you on my side, what do I have to fear?”

Lex ignored the sarcasm as he stood up. “I’ll take that as a compliment.” He leaned closer and shook her hand, his face close to hers, to an observer, it would look as if he was kissing her. “Would that be enough for him?”

Chloe moved her face even closer. “Enough for him to make his next move.”

Lex smirked, not moving away. “How long before you knew you were being watched?”

“A few days after you came by…”

Lex moved away and made sure they can be both seen by the camera. “I’ll be in touch.”

Chloe nodded as she watched Lex walked away. The game has begun, and they were now all playing each other. Lex is the lesser of two evils, and as much as she knows that she can trust him now, there was nothing to say what will happen in the future, and she’s also aware that Lex thinks the same of her.
They both needed each other, so today, they would be allies.

The stakes have gone higher, Chloe realised as she prepared to leave the Torch office, it was now all or nothing for her. If Lionel Luthor had enough strings to get her into the Daily Planet, the he also had the same capability to keep her from working ever. With a determined stride to the door, she turned off the lights and walked out. She got herself into this mess, and she would get out of it. Whatever the outcome, Chloe Sullivan will never go down without a fight.

End

So, what’s the verdict?? Good or bad, let me know!

If Lexana happens, I will SWEAR. I will deny watching Smallville…. I will cry at the injustice of it all. I am currently in fear for an eppy that will feature Lex and Blana in the same area…. Arrrgghhh! No more Pinky Binky! Watched the Chlex clips that was uploaded, and wow!!!!! I love the fact that AM is so capable of all those expressions, from surprised to worried to bluff-confident to worry again. I can feel the tension!!! Long live Chlex!!!

hfce
15th November 2003, 00:53
This was good...... :chlexsign2:

Hope ;)

WolviesLover
15th November 2003, 02:37
Good? Naw. It was great! I insist on more! *tugs at*

Impress
15th November 2003, 05:00
that was good.

autumngold
15th November 2003, 09:08
I agree with you, Lex and Lana together is just sooo wrong!! :tease: I think we should all boycott Smallville if that happens!! Your story is great! I love the interaction between Lex and Chloe! But, I think it needs a sequel! :biggrin: :chlexsign3:

Susie Q
15th November 2003, 12:29
Yay, we finally badgered....er....got you to grant our humble request for a sequel!

And the verdict is in....http://www.angelfire.com/emo2/emoticons0/images/GreatSmiles.gif

The only thing I was confused about was the the 'E', the 'n', and the 'd' strung together near the bottom. I mean what was that all about? Probably just a typo. Yeah, I'm sure it was just a typo. You should go on and delete that so that you don't mislead readers into thinking that was the end of the story. http://www.angelfire.com/emo2/emoticons0/images/yes.gif

happy bunny
15th November 2003, 22:51
Great story! Really loved it, especially this bit:

“I made a mistake Lex. If you want to be childish with the whole ‘I told you so’, why don’t you just stick out your tongue as well…”
Chloe pretended not to hear, but Lex was still equally blessed with a blush, and a muttered ‘I bet you do’
:lol:

Though, I have to agree with Susie, this one line confused me:

End
What is this end you speak of?? Surely this is just the beginning. You couldn't possibly be cruel enough to just leave it there.

SinnerSaint
16th November 2003, 03:53
This story is too good to not have a sequel. There must be a sequel . :biggrin:

Blaire023
16th November 2003, 04:36
Okay, we should make it illegal to even put the word Lexana or the initials L/L anywhere on this site.

If they do go through with the ickieness that would revolt us all, I'll burn every single smallville episode i've taped then feed it to the neighbor dog that keeps crapping in my pansies.

oh onto the review, i loved it. play on playas!

~B

georgee5
16th November 2003, 08:45
You end it there? I require more, else I don't know how I fill get my Chlex fix!

:huh:

sydsvaughn
18th November 2003, 07:41
I'm with the 'what do you mean the 'end' crew?' This was a lovely piece and it does scream sequel. Really, it does. Trust me. I wouldnt' lie to you about Chlex! :)

Nicely done!

SaraC

Ainur
31st October 2004, 02:12
Great job!! Chloe is so brave and she doesn't back down. Love her for that. :chlexsign2:

lexchloe
31st October 2004, 03:57
good job but :puppyeyes: we really want more please.

Rae
3rd November 2004, 02:26

Heehee, naughty!

Loved the fic, especially the verbal judo they were engaged in. I demand more stories, Joy. More, I say! :chlexsign3:

starmoon
29th April 2005, 23:09
perfect loved how strong chloe is.

arkakitty
16th July 2005, 10:00
It is perfect. Love it :)

Ami Rose
17th March 2018, 11:00
That was great