PDA

View Full Version : [Completed] The Reluctant Queen (R)

ruafair
3rd March 2003, 21:40
Ok forgot this last time, the Rating is R.
Disclaimer: Smallville, its characters, all belong to someone else. (Sigh) I’m just borrowing them.

The entire fanfiction can be found HERE (https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5-61ujNh6N-a3JaZC1vaG1YcG8/view?usp=sharing)
~ Jules

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi all, I can't remember the last chapter posted but I think it was 39, in case it wasn't I'm posting it again, along with chapters 40 and 41

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Chapter Thirty Nine – Father and Son Talk

Lex, Lionel and Lillian all watched with amusement as Chloe helped herself to a rather large second helping of dinner. “What?” she said when she saw them all staring at her, “I’m hungry.”

“That is going to be one healthy child if you continue to eat like that,” commented Lionel. Chloe just rolled her eyes at everyone and continued with her dinner.

Lillian gently nudged Lionel with her elbow and when he looked at her she glanced over at Lex and gave a slight tilt of her head towards the door. “Subtle as always Lillian,” he murmured.

“Lex,” turning to his son, “if you are finished I would like to talk with you in private.”

“Is everything ok?” asked Lex.

“It’s fine,” replied the king, “I just need to speak with you in private.”

“Well I am ready now if you want to talk,” said Lex as she stood up. He kissed Chloe’s cheek and followed his father out of the room.

“What is all that about?” asked Chloe when the two men had left the room.

“Lex will tell you all about it later,” said Lillian with a smile. “Now we have things to discuss, like the official announcement of your pregnancy, and also I think I have the perfect room for the nursery.”

Chloe laughed as she and the queen discussed the baby.

--------------------------------------------------

Lex and his father walked in silence to the throne room. When they got there Lionel dismissed the guards or servants that where currently there. When the last one had left Lex turned to his father, “ok what is going on?”

Lionel smiled, “I remember seeing you sitting on my throne, oh you must have been about seven or eight, you were holding my crown on with both hands because it kept falling off. I stood watching as you pretended to send I think it was pirates to be executed, because they dared to threaten Metropolis.”

Lex felt a slight blush colour his cheeks at his father words. “I never knew anyone saw me,” he said. “I use to watch you being *king* and when no-one was around I’d pretend I was you. I use to get the most awful pains in my neck from wearing your crown.”

The king laughed, “believe me son, it still gives me pains in my neck.”

“Lex, something has happened that has forced my hand. I hadn’t planned on doing something like this for a few years, but sometimes fate has a mind of her own.”

“Dad, I know you love being all cryptic but you have me completely lost.”

“Effective from the day of my birthday you will be my co-regent, I am going to start handing over certain royal duties to you.” He watched as the colour drained from Lex’s face.

“What? Why? Is there something wrong with you?” stammered Lex. “And did you say co-regent?”

“For awhile now I have been suffering these attacks of shortness of breath and slight chest pains,” began Lionel. “And in the last few months they have been getting more frequent. I had Toby check me out yesterday, well your mother had Toby check me out, and he says the added stress over the last few months on top of the stress of running the kingdom has put me in a slightly vulnerable position.”

“How vulnerable?”

“It’s not that serious at the moment, but it could quite easily escalate and be very serious, perhaps even fatal. Toby recommends things like a diet change and a reduction in my royal duties to help lower my stress levels.”

Lex rubbed a hand over his head as he tried to digest everything his father was saying. The king was sick; he was handing power over to him. “I need to sit down,” he murmured.

“I know this is a lot for you to take in Lex, and especially now with Chloe being pregnant.”

“Do you think I’m ready for this?” he asked. The one thing Lex was sure of was that his father would be completely honest with him, and part of him was slightly afraid of what his father’s answer might be.

Lionel took a deep breath. “You are not as ready as I would like you to be. But do you remember our conversation before you got married.” Lex nodded. “Well I do believe you are more ready now than you were then. Marriage has helped you and the fact you will be a father soon will only help you more. Lex, being king and ruling is a huge responsibility and for a long time I didn’t think you would ever handle responsibility. When your mother and I where discussing your marriage with Gabe I was the most vocal in saying I didn’t think it was a good idea.”

Lex gasped, he had always assumed that all three where in complete agreement about his marriage.

“When my marriage was arranged I had known your mother for awhile, we planned yours without you and Chloe ever meeting. And knowing what you were like with women I was reluctant to, well, drag Chloe into it. But I have to say the girl has impressed me since day one. When you told me about her slapping you my admiration for the girl just shot up. She is good for you and she will help you.”

Lex’s mind was in a whirl; he was going to jointly rule the kingdom with his father. ‘I am so not ready for this,’ he thought. ‘I’m only getting use to the fact that I’m going to be a father.’

“No you aren’t ready for this,” said Lionel as if he could read his son’s mind. “But I have complete faith that you will be able to handle it. You are my son after all.”

Lex grinned at his father for a moment. “I will do my best no to let you down,” he said, his tone serious.

“That’s all I want, and as I said before Lex, you could never let me down. We’ll be doing this together and my first piece of advice to you is let Chloe help. Don’t be afraid to talk things through with her, she’s got a good head on her shoulders and let her guide you. In the future it will be the two of you running the kingdom, I would have never gotten this far if it hadn’t of been for your mother. Her advice and support to me over the years has been invaluable.”

Lex nodded in agreement. “Will mom be saying anything about this to Chloe?”

“No,” he replied. “We both decided that should be left up to you. It is going to be hard, for the both of you and even more so with Chloe pregnant. When the official announcement is made about the baby there will also be one made about you being the co-regent. But the process will start immediately, tomorrow I will start going over with you the kind of duties I will be handing over first.”

Taking a deep breath Lex nodded at his father. “I guess I should go talk to Chloe now and let her know what’s going on.”

Lionel put his hand on Lex’s shoulder, “everything will work out fine.” With a smile Lex left his father and headed off to find his wife.

“How did it go?” asked Lillian as she entered the room.

“It went well,” he replied, “although I think I nearly gave him a heart attack when I told him. He’s gone to tell Chloe.”

“He will do fine,” she said, “they both will.”

“I know, I just wish I hadn’t been forced into handing over power so soon.”

Lex found Chloe in their room; she was lying on the bed. “Hey,” she said when she heard him come in. He sat down beside her. “What’s wrong Lex?”

“My father has just informed me that as of tomorrow I will be acting as co-regent with him, and that the official announcement will be made along with the one about your pregnancy.”

“Did you just say co-regent?”

Lex nodded. “Oh wow Lex that is amazing, what an incredible honour for you.”

He couldn’t help but smile; only Chloe would see the good side to it first. “My father has sort of been forced into doing this.” At her confused expression her went on to explain to her what his father had said.

“But it’s not serious,” she said when he had finished.

“No, but it could get serious which is why this is happening.”

Chloe wrapped her arms around Lex and hugged him tightly. “You will be fine Lex, and you know I will help you as much as I can.”

“I know you will my love, and believe me I will be depending on you.”

“There isn’t anything else I’d rather do,” she said before kissing him gently. They fell back onto the bed and curled up around each other. ‘I’ll get through this with Chloe,’ he thought.

Chapter Forty – A New Player in Town

“My lady I have some news,” said Justin as he rushed into Victoria Hardwick’s room.

“Well, out with it,” she snapped. She had been back in Metropolis a week and every day duke Kent and duke Ross had called by asking her the same questions about the day count Fordman had been killed.

“I don’t think you’re going to like it but here it is,” began Justin. “Next week on the king’s birthday two announcements will be made. The first is that Price Lex has been named co-regent, now I don’t know the reasons behind this but apparently the transfer over power has already started and next week is just the official announcement.”

“MMM so king Lionel is getting ready to hand the reins over to Lex,” murmured Victoria, “and the second announcement?”

Justin took a deep breath before answering. “The second announcement is that the princess is pregnant.”

“WHAT?” exclaimed Victoria. “Damn it, a royal pregnancy. They didn’t waste any time. Please tell me you have good news as well Justin.”

“Yes my lady,” he replied. “I have found the perfect person to carry out your *mission* and they are more than willing to do it.”

“Excellent, I was beginning to wonder if we would ever find anybody. Tell me everything and if I’m happy we’ll arrange the meeting.”

“Hello stranger,” grinned Clark as he and Pete strolled into the throne room. Lex looked up from a table littered with various royal decrees and announcements.

“That looks like fun,” commented Pete, as they got closer.

“I have seriously being considering abdicating,” muttered Lex. He couldn’t believe it; he had never realised the amount and scope of work his father did. The king looked after everything from the health and well being of the subjects, to settling disputes between neighbours, protecting Metropolis from attacks, residing over the court, both social and legal. And that was just the tip of the iceberg. Lex had been co-regent for almost two weeks and during that time he had spent hardly any time with his wife. They usually spoke in the evenings and by then Lex was too tired to do anything else.

“That bad,” asked Clark.

“I just never realised all the work that went into running a kingdom. My opinion of my father, and my mother has just gone through the roof. I mean they’ve been doing this for over twenty years.”

“And how has that lovely pregnant wife of yours being handling your absence?”

“Chloe has been just amazing as always,” said Lex with a smile. “She is just so understanding. I mean she’s pregnant, and not feeling great at the moment and yet she’s still there every evening staying up late so she can help me go through things.”

“So I guess there is no chance of dragging you away for a couple of hours,” said Pete.

“No chance,” answered Lex. “*If* I manage to get some free time I will be spending it with Chloe. Oh have you managed to get anything new out of Victoria?”

“Not a thing,” sighed Clark. “It’s been the same story every day. Ok it does sound rehearsed but she hasn’t changed it do there isn’t really anything else we can do. But like you said I do think she will slip up it’s just a matter of when.”

“And when she does we’ll be there to catch her out,” added Pete.

“Good, because I have a very nice spot in the dungeon all picked out for her,” said Lex.

“Lex you left these…” Chloe’s voice trailed off as she saw Clark and Pete in the room with Lex. “Hello gentlemen,” she said with a smile.

“Highness,” they both said with a bow. “How are you feeling these days?” asked Clark.

“Better some days,” she replied. “I’m enjoying my clothes fitting me at the moment, because that will all change soon.”

“Yes, I seem to remember overhearing my mother talking about arranging the dress makers to come in and make you some maternity clothes,” said Lex with a smirk.

“Great,” muttered Chloe, “because we all know how much I *love* the dress makers.”

“Well Lex if you’re busy we’ll leave you to it,” said Pete. “We’ll call back later.”

“Ok then, bye,” he said. Echoed by Chloe. The two men left the room.

“Anyway you left these upstairs,” said Chloe, handing some papers over to Lex. “Just what I needed, more work,” he said with a sigh.

With a smile Chloe sat on his lap. “You are doing fine Lex,” she said, wrapping her arms around his neck. “It’s going to take you time to get use to all this.”

Lex wrapped his arms around her waist. “I’m sorry I haven’t really been around,” he said, kissing her neck. He moved a hand to her stomach and rubbed it gently. “Don’t worry about it,” she whispered. He lifted his head and kissed her gently. “I love you,” he murmured against her lips.

“I love you too,” she murmured back, and the kiss became passionate. Their tongues duelled and Lex moved his hand to cup her breast through her dress causing her to moan softly into his mouth.

“I want to make love to you so badly,” he whispered when they parted. “Think you’d be missed if we disappeared for an hour,” she said with a grin.

“Probably,” he said with a groan as her hand found it’s way to the front of his pants. She rubbed him gently. “Well I am one of your subjects,” she said as she kissed his neck, “ and I need some very *personal* attention.”

Lex put his hand on the back of her neck and pulled her mouth back to his, their lips and tongues clashed. “Let’s get out of here,” he panted when they parted. Chloe jumped up from his lap and took his hand. As they left the throne room they bumped into one of the king’s advisors.

“Highness,” he said, “we need to go over…”

“Later,” snapped Lex, “I have something to take care of.” He brushed past him, dragging a laughing Chloe with him. They practically ran up the stairs. And the moment they got into their room Chloe gasped loudly as she felt her dress being pulled from her.

“At least an hour,” she moaned as Lex began kissing his way to her nipples.

“Maybe even three hours,” he muttered back.

“And you completely understand what is requested from you,” said Victoria.

“I *have* done this before,” the other person replied. “I know exactly what you want done. And you do understand that this is going to cost you big. We are talking about a crown prince and princess."

“Your fee is not a problem. And you are aware that the princess is pregnant.”

“Yes, and again that is not a problem. I have no qualms about killing a pregnant woman.”

“Perfect,” said Victoria clapping her hands together. “Now I would like this finished as soon as possible but you are the professional and I’m sure you work at your own pace.”

“I will need some of the money now. I need to get some things to help me *look* the part.”

“Justin will see that you get it, and also he is to be your contact if you should need anything else. And he is the person you will give your updates too.”

“I will make my appearance at the palace during the announcements on the king’s birthday. Believe me Lady Hardwick, the Luthors won’t know what hit them.”

“I’m counting on that *Lady* Helen Bryce,” replied Victoria, “I’m counting on it.”

Chapter Forty One – Bad Feelings

Helen Bryce stood towards the back of the crowd as the king made his speech. She glanced over the royal party standing on the platform. Her gaze lingered on the prince. She had never seen Lex before and she liked what she saw. ‘Very sexy,’ she thought. She moved her eyes to the princess who was standing close to him. Helen looked down to see the slight bump protruding from her dress indicating her pregnancy. ‘Pretty enough I suppose.’

She had heard a lot about the prince. Most of it came from Victoria Hardwick, but some for various people around Metropolis. She knew he had been very much the ladies man before getting married, but that he had definitely settled into the role of husband since then. She also learned that he was very popular among the people of the kingdom and that Chloe was as well.

She glanced around the area again taking note of the number of guards around the place. Since the abduction earlier of the princess, there had been an increase in security around the palace. Deep down Helen didn’t care about Victoria’s reasons for wanting revenge, this was a job to her and she was getting paid for it. And she was good at her job, because no one ever suspected her because she was a woman.

Lana watched the unfamiliar woman stare and the prince and princess, especially the prince. ‘I don’t like the look of her,’ she thought. Her attention was dragged back to the king who was explaining the duties Lex was taking over from him. Lana smiled as she looked at Chloe, she could hardly believe how things had changed since King Gabe had announced the marriage. Now the prince and princess were in love and expecting their first child.

‘And I’m a lady-in-waiting,’ she added to herself. She glanced around and caught Duke Kent’s eye. He smiled at her and she smiled shyly back. Since her *promotion* she had spent a bit of time with the handsome duke, just walks mainly, but she really enjoyed his company.

She glanced back at the mysterious woman and saw that she was still focussed on the prince. With a frown Lana decided to talk to the princess about it later.

“Thank the heavens that is over,” said Lex as he sat down.

“Not quite how you pictured it would be,” said Lionel with a smile. “Is it?”

“Not even close,” replied Lex. “I think I’d like it to be how I imagined it would be when I was seven.”

“You are doing very well Lex. I am very proud of you.” Lionel said sincerely.

Lex couldn’t help the smile that graced his face or the incredible feeling that flowed through his body at hearing those words come from his father. “Thank you,” he said. “That means a lot.”

“It’s the truth son. You have handled everything so well; you’ve made your own decisions and stood by them. You’ve managed to upset most of the advisors, which is always a good thing. I have to admit to deriving pleasure from upsetting them myself.”

“Yes there is a perverse sense of satisfaction is doing that,” agreed Lex, and both men started laughing. “How have you being feeling lately?” he asked his father.

“I feel great,” he replied. “I’ve been enjoying spending a lot more time with your mother and the increased talks and walks with your lovely wife. I am very much looking forward to becoming a grandfather.”

“Yes Chloe has said you’ve been taking a great interest in the baby.”

“I just want to make sure everything goes well,” replied Lionel with a smirk. “Anyway can’t let your mother have all the *fun* organising everything.”

“Am I been spoken about?” said Lillian as she came up beside her husband.

“It’s all good, so don’t worry mother.”

“I should hope so,” she replied with a grin.

“Sorry to disturb you majesty,” said a servant to Lionel. “But there is a Lady Helen Bryce asking to speak with you.”

“Never heard of her,” he said, a sentiment echoed by Lillian Lex. “Very well,” he said to the servant, “show here in.”

With a bow the servant left. “I wonder what this is all about,” commented Lionel to the others. “I guess we’ll find out soon enough,” replied Lex.

“Highness, may I have a word with you?” asked Lana.

“Sure Lana,” replied Chloe with a smile, “come on in.” Chloe sat up on the bed as the girl entered the room. “So what is it you want to talk about?”

“I’m not sure how to put this, or even if it needs to be said,” began Lana.

“Just tell me,” said Chloe gently, “and we’ll decide if it’s important.”

“Earlier today when the king was giving his speech I noticed a woman at the back of the crowd staring intently at the prince. I’ve never seen her before around the court but she was dressed like a lady.”

“My husband is very pleasing on the eye Lana, a lot of women stare at him,” replied Chloe with a grin.

“It’s not just that highness,” continued Lana. “She was staring at you as well, and I don’t know…I just thought there was something…odd about her. You think it’s silly.”

“I didn’t say that Lana, it does sound a little strange though. But I will mention it to Lex and see if anyone knows anything about her.”

“Thank you highness, I am sure it’s nothing. But after everything that happened lately…” she trailed off.

“I understand Lana and thank you for bringing it to my attention.”

“So Lady Bryce let me get this straight,” said Lex; “you are looking for…sanctuary, for want of a better word, until this man that killed your husband can be apprehended.”

The woman nodded. Lex sat back in his chair. She had come in asking for help. Her husband had been murdered and she was fleeing from the as yet unknown killer and wanted the protection of the palace. Apart from having serious doubts about her story, Lex didn’t like the woman; there was something about her that just didn’t sit right with him.

His caught his father’s eye and could see a similar expression of disbelief and distrust on his face. “Well Lady Bryce,” he said, turning his attention back to the woman in question, “we can offer you the use of one of the small houses on the palace estate if that is too your liking.”

“Oh highness that is most kind of you,” she said to him, injecting a flirty tone to her voice.

Just then the door opened and Chloe came in followed by Lana. The brunette spotted the woman sitting close to Lex. “Highness,” she whispered to Chloe, “that is the woman I was telling you about.”

Chloe said nothing and headed over to Lex and the others. “Hi,” said Lex with a smile. And Helen watched closely how Lex’s demeanour changed when his wife walked in. Chloe smiled at him and kissed him gently.

“Chloe, this is Lady Helen Bryce,” he said, introducing them.

“Highness,” she said, standing to curtsey.

“Lady Bryce,” said Chloe.

“Well,” said Lillian, and motioned to a guard to come over. “Please show Lady Bryce to the cottage around by the stables,” she said to him.

“Yes majesty,” he replied. “This way Lady Bryce,” he said, addressing the woman. With a few more very gracious expressions of thank you she left with the guard.

“I’ll tell you later,” said Lex to Chloe’s questioning expression.

“Good,” she replied, “because I want to discuss something with you as well.” She had only met the woman very briefly, but Chloe already had a very bad feeling about *Lady* Helen Bryce.

Signature removed

scifichick774
3rd March 2003, 22:12
Evil, evil Helen Bryce. Now Victoria AND Helen must be eaten by a dragon. Oh yes, I'm sure of it.

Julie
3rd March 2003, 23:25
Hey Fi, glad to see you are posting your stories over here, maybe I can catch up with some of them, but please,... disclaimer and rating. Post the rating here or PM me it, and I'll add it in.

Not An Addict
4th March 2003, 01:46
Originally posted by scifichick774@Mar 3 2003, 02:12 PM
Evil, evil Helen Bryce. *Now Victoria AND Helen must be eaten by a dragon. *Oh yes, I'm sure of it.
YEAH, eaten by a dragon! I have one just sitting around if anyone wants to use it . . . :devil:

Oh, Fi, I'm SO glad you're posting here! I've been going into serious Reluctant Queen withdrawal since the script has been down. Great couple of chapters here. Eeeeeevil Helen Bryce, grrr. Wants to kill our favorite characters, does she? I have a dragon here with one or two things to say about that . . .

"Apart from having serious doubts about her story, Lex didn’t like the woman; there was something about her that just didn’t sit right with him." Hee hee hee hee hee! So great. :D

:sign4:

SIGNATURE PEOPLE, DISABLE IT!

dsapiro
4th March 2003, 02:53
Yay, so glad you are posting here, I love the story so far. Can't wait for the dragon... :sign4:

petriebird18
4th March 2003, 21:09
i agree with Not an Addict, i was seriously suffering from withdrawl. i'm so glad that you got the next chapters up. hmmm, bad Victoria AND Helen, are you going to add Desiree in the mix soon? That would be an interesting twist too. :D i can't wait to read more!
~Deidre~

:love: Chlex :love:

ruafair
4th March 2003, 21:44
Thanks guys, glad you didn';t forget this...

Disclaimer: Smallville, its characters, all belong to someone else. (Sigh) I’m just borrowing them.

Chapter Forty Two – Agendas

Five weeks passed by without any incidents. Lady Bryce kept herself to the cottage that had been assigned to her. She knew she was under watch from the guards so had done nothing to warrant raising suspicion. Although she managed to get some messages out to Justin, and he had got some back to her. Mostly they were from Lady Hardwick wanting to know when the *job* would be finished.

‘Impatient woman,’ she thought as she took a walk to the stables. ‘Doesn’t she realise that a job like this needs to be done properly and for that to happen careful planning is needed. And that of course takes time.’

She reached the stables and saw Lex talking to the stable master. ‘Excellent,’ she thought. She hadn’t had a chance to speak to the prince alone since arriving; he always seemed to have someone, usually his wife around him.

She stood over to the side and waited for the other man to walk off. Seeing that Lex was remaining she made her way over to him.

“Good morning highness,” she said brightly.

Lex turned around quickly. “Lady Bryce,” he replied.

As with every time she took a walk, Helen dressed carefully in hope of running into the prince. He maybe devoted to his wife, but he was still a man. She noticed, that he looked her over, the low cut dress showing off her cleavage and small waist.

She moved closer to him. “Is the princess not with you?”

“She’s not feeling well at the moment, and is keeping to bed.”

“I hope it’s nothing serious,” she said, injecting concern into her voice.

“No, just morning sickness. Was there something in particular you wanted to discuss with me Lady Bryce?”

“No, not at all your highness, I was just taking a walk as I do most days. And please call me Helen,” she smiled at him.

“Well Helen, I’d like to stay and *chat* but I have to get back. I need to check on Chloe and my advisors need more of my time.”

“I understand you’re busy,” she said.

As they both moved to head out the door, Helen lunged forward as if she tripped. On reflex Lex reached out and caught her. She found herself in his arms, looking up at him and rested her hands on his chest. Deciding to test the waters she leaned towards his lips. Upon realising her intent Lex stepped back, releasing her. She had to catch herself before actually falling this time. ‘Damn,’ she thought.

“Lady Bryce,” he said his tone icy. “I don’t know what *games* you are playing. But if I were you I would be very, very careful about abusing my generosity in letting you stay within the protection of the palace. Don’t presume that you can take *any* advantages.”

“I’m sorry highness,” she said, lowering her head as if embarrassed. “I don’t know what came over me, I know you’re married…I’m sorry…”

Lex walked out of the stables and turned back to her. “It’s nothing to do with me being married Lady Bryce, you aren’t my type anyway.” And with that he left with a smirk on his face.

“Son of a bitch,” she muttered when he was gone. “Not his type. Who the hell does he think he is? Arrogant bastard.” Her anger now riled she headed back to the cottage to get a message to Victoria; it was time to move things along. “He will pay for that,” she said.

Lex was still smiling to himself when he got back to the palace. Bypassing the throne room he headed straight for hid bedroom. When he entered the room, Chloe was still asleep in the bed. He sat on the edge beside her. Her stomach protruded slightly through the covers and he laid a hand gently on it.

Chloe’s eyelids fluttered open and she smiled when she saw him.

“Sorry I didn’t mean to wake you,” he said softly.

“It’s ok I think I’ve slept enough,” she replied and sat up. When she was sitting, Lex’s hand once again returned to rest on her stomach. “How are you feeling?” he asked.

“Much better. The sickness has passed. I should probably get up and get dressed,” she said.

“Chloe it might be better to stay in bed,” he said, his voice full of concern.

“Lex I’m fine, the baby is fine, and it’s just a normal pregnancy symptom.”

“I suppose, if you say so.” Lex remained silent for a moment, trying to decide whether or not to tell her about his *encounter* with Lady Bryce.

“Tell me Lex,” she said. “You have that ‘should I, shouldn’t I’ look on your face,” she clarified when he looked at her in surprise.

“You know me too well,” he grinned before kissing her gently.

“So what’s on your mind?”

“I was in the stables earlier and Lady Bryce came in,” he began. “We talked briefly and she asked where you were. As we were leaving she *appeared* to trip, I caught her, and then she moved to kiss me.”

“She WHAT?” exclaimed Chloe. “I’ll kill her,” she muttered, “how dare she? You’re MY husband.”

Lex couldn’t help but grin at the extremely possessive tone in Chloe’s voice. “Nothing happened Chloe, and I had a few words with her. But I think you’re right about her having a hidden agenda.”

“Maybe that agenda is to seduce you,” offered Chloe.

“Well she will fail miserably,” he stated. “I love you Chloe, you are all I will ever want. No other woman even comes close.”

“Even though I’m getting fat,” she said with a grin.

“You look incredibly sexy pregnant,” he whispered in her ear. His hand slipped under her nightgown and rubbed her stomach.

“As much as I would love to continue this Lex, we do need to figure out why she is really here.”

“Later,” he murmured, as his other hand made light work of the ribbons holding her nightgown closed. As the hand on her stomach moved lower all thoughts of Lady Helen Bryce and her hidden agenda flew from Chloe’s mind and she gave her body over to Lex’s touch. Her own hands began to make light work of his pants.

“Majesty,” said one of the advisors, “the prince is not here yet, and we cannot proceed without him.”

Lionel rolled his eyes, he knew exactly where Lex was, the same place he’d been for the last two hours, in bed with Chloe. ‘I thought with Chloe being pregnant they’d of clamed down a bit,’ he added silently, ‘but obviously not.’

Just then the door opened and Lex walked in. “I’m sorry,” he said sheepishly to his father. “Time ran away with me.”

“Well shall we get started,” said Lionel, grinning at his son.

Clark and Lana were walking around the grounds. AS they walked past the stables, Clark noticed a figure heading towards the back gate.

“He looks familiar,” he muttered.

“Who?” asked Lana, looking around.

Clark pointed over to the figure getting on a horse. He glanced back and when he saw Clark and Lana his egged his horse on.

“I’ve seen him before as well,” said Lana. “Isn’t he lady Hardwick’s servant?”

“That’s where I’ve seen him,” exclaimed Clark. “Now what the hell was he doing here?”

Chapter Forty Three – Time for a Talk

Lex watched as Pete, Clark and a few guards headed off towards the Hardwick estate. When Clark had told him about seeing Justin leaving the palace grounds Lex had wanted to head out to see Victoria immediately. But Chloe and his father managed to convince him to leave it for a week as not to arouse suspicion. And now they were heading off to speak to her and he couldn’t go. He had to stay and go over palace business with the advisors. ‘Damn,’ he thought.

“I know you want to go with them,” said Chloe, coming up behind him.

“I’ll definitely miss the *gallivanting* off with Clark and Pete,” he said with a sigh, “but I suppose that is not really the behaviour of a co-regent.”

Chloe wrapped an arm around his waist and leaned her head on his shoulder. “Well personally I kind of prefer not having you gallivanting off,” she said, “less chance of you getting hurt having you here.”

Lex smiled and wrapped an arm around her shoulders. “Worry about me; do you?”

“Well, you know there is a baby on the way, not really wanting to do all that by myself,” she said with a grin.

“Ah so you only want me around for my parenting skills Chloe.”

“Pretty much so, I mean what other uses have you?”

Lex pulled her closer and smirked. “I’m very talented at getting you to scream my name over and over. I know exactly where to touch you to really make you let go.”

Chloe turned and wrapped both her arms around him, resting her head on his chest. Lex wrapped his own around her. He sighed contently as he felt her swollen stomach press against him. “I suppose you do have *other* uses,” she said with a laugh.

“Well I must have done something right,” he murmured back as he manoeuvred a hand to rub her stomach. “Have you thought about any names yet?”

“I have actually,” she said, lifting her head to look at him. “I was thinking Katie for a girl and Stephen for a boy. What do you think?”

“Stephen Luthor, Katie Luthor,” he said. “They do seem to have a nice ring to them. And Katie was my grandmother’s name.”

“Really,” she exclaimed, “I never knew I just like the name.”

“My father will be delighted with that name it was his mother’s,” he replied. “I like both of them, good choices.” He kissed her gently.

“Has Lady Bryce made anymore *seduction* attempts since that first one?” she asked when they parted.

“No, in fact I haven’t seen her since then. She has been spending all her time in the cottage.”

“Lex, do you think Lady Hardwick’s servant was here to see her? Could she and Lady Bryce know each other?”

“I’ve been thinking the same thing and I voiced my concerns to both Clark and Pete before they left.”

“Highnesses,” a nervous voice sounded behind them. They both turned around to see one of the advisors.

“Yes, what is it?” asked Lex.

“Apologies highness, but your father is ready for the meeting and your attendance is required.”

“Very well,” sighed Lex, “I will be along shortly.” The other man bowed at them both and hurried off again.

“Duty calls,” said Chloe. “Have fun.”

“Oh yes my dear, going over the state of the palace’s treasury is always top on my list of exciting things to do.” Lex kissed her gently again and headed off.

‘I think I’ll pay a visit to Lady Bryce,’ thought Chloe, and headed off to find Lana.

“Lady Hardwick, Duke Kent and Duke Ross are hear to speak with you,” said the maid.

“Very well Anne you may show them in,” replied Victoria. She watched as the maid hurried off. Justin had informed her that he’d been spotted leaving the palace grounds. But he had only been seen heading towards the gates behind the stables; they had not seen him leave the cottage where Helen Bryce was staying.

Taking a deep breath she waited for them to be shown in. She had learnt her lesson after the debacle with Whitney Fordman and it was survival of the fittest. If the dukes didn’t believe her reasons for Justin being on the palace estate she had no qualms about dropping him in it. He may have been her most loyal servant but she was looking after number one.

Her thoughts were disturbed by the arrival of Clark and Pete. “That will be all Anne,” she said to the servant. With a curtsey the maid left the three of them alone.

“Duke Kent, Duke Ross, to what do I owe the pleasure of your visit?”

“This is not a social call Lady Hardwick,” said Pete. “We are here on business.”

“Lady Hardwick, your servant was spotted leaving the palace grounds last week. He was seen leaving via the gates behind the stables,” said Clark. “Why was he there? You were not around and the palace received no official request that he would be there.”

Victoria took a deep breath. “My apologies, I had heard that a Lady Bryce was staying within the palace grounds and I heard about her unfortunate circumstances and the murder of her husband. So as a courtesy call I sent my servant to extend my welcome and offer my friendship.”

“And why didn’t you just make an official visit?” asked Pete. “Do you normally just dispatch your servants to wander the grounds of the palace? I would have thought it only polite to make your intentions known to the king and queen.”

‘How dare he speak to me like that?’ she thought. “No, it is not common practice for me to just *send* servants. I do realise it was something I should have done and I apologise for it.”

“So how exactly did you hear of her being at the palace and of her circumstances?”

“Well Duke Kent you know how servants talk,” she replied. “One says something to another and pretty soon it gets around to them all.”

“But the servants at the palace are under strict instructions not to discuss any business within the grounds with anybody else. I will need to talk to your other servants to trace back to find out who in the palace started this spread of gossip. They will need to be punished,” said Pete, watching her closely.

‘Damn,’ she thought. “I wouldn’t want to get anyone into trouble Duke Ross, but feel free to interview the servants.”

“And you don’t know Lady Bryce at all?” asked Clark.

“No I’ve never met her,” she lied.

“Thank you for you time Lady Hardwick,” said Clark, “we’ll be touch about talking to your servants so we can find out where this gossiper is.”

“Of course, you know I like to help in any way.”

“That is very gracious of you Lady Hardwick,” said Pete.

A few moments later the two men and the guards headed back towards the palace. “She’s lying,” said Clark. “I agree,” said Pete. “We just need to catch her and Lady Bryce together.”

“We’ll get extra guards watching the cottage,” said Clark, and they headed quickly back to the palace.

Justin hurried into Victoria’s room as soon as the coast was clear. When he got there he found her in a really bad mood. “You screwed up Justin,” she said. “Neither Duke believed my excuse and now they want to interview everyone to find out who spread the news. I want you to get a message to our guard friend at the palace and tell him to take care of that kitchen maid who got the information to us.”

“Yes my lady,” he said and turned to leave the room.

“Oh and Justin,” she waited till he faced her again, “don’t get caught this time or it will be your head on the line.”

“Yes my lady,” and he left.

Chloe and Lana made their way to Lady Bryce’s cottage.

“Highness, you really should tell the prince where you are going,” said Lana for about the fifth time.

“Lana, the prince is busy with other things,” she replied. “Anyway I’m just going to have a chat with Lady Bryce.”

Lana sighed but said nothing else. When they got to the cottage she knocked on the door. A few moments later a servant opened it. “Highness,” he said with a bow when he saw Chloe.

“Is Lady Bryce in?” she asked.

“She is highness, please come in.” He stood back and the two women stepped by him. He led them to the room Helen was in.

“Princess Chloe and her lady-in-waiting,” he announced. The other woman stood up and curtsied as Chloe walked into the room; she couldn’t quite manage to cover the look of surprise on her face.

“Highness what a surprise, I wasn’t expecting you,” she said.

“I just thought Lady Bryce that we should have a chat,” replied Chloe.

“But of course, please take a seat.”

Chloe sat in the chair opposite Helen, while Lana took the one to the side of the princess. When everyone was seated Chloe spoke up. “Lady Bryce, are you here to seduce my husband?”

Signature removed

Not An Addict
4th March 2003, 22:28
Oooh, that little wench! Trying to put the moves on Lex. DEATH BY DRAGON!! *ahem* Sorry about that. Great chapters here. :D Mwah hah hah hah, it's only a matter of time before Victoria slips up, and then it's adios, chica! Although I worry about Chloe, going to an assassin's house with only Lana with her. And pregnant, to boot! I just hope Helen realizes that Chloe, Lex, and their baby are under the protection of the Smallville Dragon Corps. Can't wait for the next chapter!

dsapiro
5th March 2003, 02:19
Great chapter. Will Helen try to do something to Chloe while she is there? Can't wait for more. :ilove:

Warunee
5th March 2003, 02:24
WTF? Victoria and Helen? This is too much! Too much! *faints*

Now, I hate Helen even more. That b*tch! And Vic! Guh! Kill her already!

Other than that, I love yor story. It's still amazing!

Queen Of Tact
5th March 2003, 02:59
I'm so happy that you are still working on this story! I love it. And now we have an evil Helen and Victoria :devil: Oh I so hate those two!

What was Chloe think going with only Lana. I hope that little B doesn't try to do anying thing to Chloe... Please please let nothing bad happen to Chloe or the baby.... I also hape that you will post again sooooon

CC :sign3:

Signature removed

lauren
5th March 2003, 03:28
:D HI!

Yay! Finally I'm able to read my fav fics! Argh, I hate those evil B-#%$! Victoria and Helen Eww! Great ch!
:love:

Lauren/everYours

drina
5th March 2003, 05:03
HI
Where else do u post ur fic? I read this fic on Malu's fic n it stopped at chapter 35. so where can i find 36-38?
drina

ruafair
5th March 2003, 21:53
Hey all, here are chapters 44 and 45.....Fiona

--------------------------------------------------------------

---------------------------------------------------------------Chapter Forty Four – Royal Plans

Even with her own excellent control Helen couldn’t prevent the gasp of shock that flew from her lips, she never would have guessed that the prince would tell his wife about what happened. She had never expected the princess to be so *blunt* with her questions. ‘Think Helen,’ she thought.

“H-H-highness,” she said, making herself stammer for effect, “how could you think such a thing? I would never…”

“Don’t take me for a fool lady Bryce,” interrupted Chloe, her tone like ice. “My husband told me of your little *encounter* in the stables.”

“That was an accident highness, I tripped and the prince caught me. I got caught up in the moment, your husband is a very attractive man,” she said. “I don’t know what came over me.”

“Indeed, but that was still hardly appropriate behaviour for a woman, a lady at that who has just lost her husband, especially in such tragic circumstances.”

Lana watched in amusement, as Chloe seemed to tie the other woman in knots. She also made a silent vow to herself never to do anything to warrant the princess to verbally abuse her like that.

‘I should kill you now,’ thought Helen. “I have nothing else to say but sorry highness, it was inexcusable what I did, and I promise you nothing like it will ever happen again.”

“I don’t like you Lady Bryce and I fully believe you aren’t telling us the truth about why you are really here,” said Chloe as she stood up. “But if I see you even *looking* at my husband in a manner that displeases me I *will* order your execution myself. Do I make myself clear Lady Bryce?”

“Perfectly highness,” said the other woman. “And I can insure you that there is no hidden agenda to me being here. My husband was murdered and the killer is after me.”

“I don’t believe you, but until your story is disproved…” she trailed off, but the threat was clear to Helen.

“I won’t do anything to upset you highness,” said Helen. ‘Well for the time being anyway,’ she added silently.

“Good, I’m glad we understand each other,” replied Chloe. “Well I shall leave you to whatever it is you do during the day.”

“Highness,” said Helen through gritted teeth, as she curtsied.

Chloe turned and left the room quickly followed by Lana who had to cover her mouth with her hand to prevent herself from laughing out loud.

Helen waited till she heard the front door being closed before screaming out in her anger. “How dare that *teenager* speak to me like that?” she said. “So what if she’s a princess, the nerve of her.” She paced around the room a few times till she managed to calm herself down. “The sooner I get the job finished here the better,” she murmured. “And I can’t wait to kill the princess.”

“Highness, I think you made Lady Bryce very angry,” said Lana with a smile as they made their way back to the palace.

“Well that was the general plan,” replied Chloe with a smile of her own. “I don’t trust her Lana, but people like her always slip up. I just hope it’s sooner rather than later.”

“And is there nothing you can do till then?” asked Lana

“Not really, than keep a closer eye on her. I do think after out little *chat* she won’t try anything else with my husband,” replied Chloe. “I just wish I knew why she was really here.”

The two women fell into silence as they reached the palace. “Lana, have the servants currently tending to Lady Bryce replaced with ones picked by you.”

“Yes highness,” replied the brunette. “I take it you want specific servants, ones from your own staff sent to her.”

“That’s exactly what I want, thank you Lana.”

With a curtsey Lana hurried off to carry out the princess’ orders. When she was gone Chloe went to find Clark and Pete.

“Are you really going to interview all of Lady Hardwick’s staff?” asked Pete.

“Not all of them,” replied Clark. “Just a few here and there to see if it scares anybody into talking. We just need to find out who in the palace has been talking.”

Pete was prevented from replying by the appearance of a maid announcing the princess’ arrival. “Highness,” said Clark, when Chloe walked in, “you look radiant.”

“Pregnancy seems to agree with you,” added Pete.

“Flattery gentlemen will get you everywhere,” she replied with a grin.

“Is there something we can do for you?” asked Clark.

Chloe took a seat and gestured for the two men to do the same. When all three were seated Chloe began to speak. “Lex told me about your trip to see Lady Hardwick and how she was as elusive as usual. Well I’ve just been to see Lady Bryce and I’m beginning to think the two women have been taking the same lessons. I’m not convinced of the validity of Lady Bryce’s story and I want you Pete to do a little job for me.”

“Of course highness, what do you want me to do?”

“I want you to travel to Carter Town and find out all you can about Helen Bryce and her husband. Say you are willing to pay for information; coins tend to loosen people’s tongues. Just find out everything you can, I don’t care how trivial it may seem, it all might lead to something.”

“It shall be done highness, I will leave immediately,” he said.

“Clark you continue with Lady Hardwick. I have this niggling feeling that the two *ladies* are more acquainted than they would lead us to believe.”

“Very well highness,” replied Clark.

“Thank you gentlemen,” said Chloe with a smile. “Now all I have to do is tell Lex what is going on.”

“Good luck highness,” said both men, knowing quite well that the prince wasn’t going to be too impressed at having been left out of the plotting and planning.

“I think I’ll need it,” muttered Chloe and headed off to find her husband, leaving two laughing dukes behind.

Lex leaned back in his chair and closed his eyes. He rubbed his temples, trying to relieve some of the tension. He jumped slightly when he felt a pair of small hands join his.

“Headache,” asked Chloe.

“Sort of,” he replied. He dropped his own hands and moaned softly as she massaged his head. After a few minutes she removed her hands and kissed his head gently. Lex pushed his chair away from the table and Chloe sat on his lap.

“You look tired my love,” she commented as she wrapped her arms around his neck.

“I’m fine,” he replied. “How are you two doing?” he asked, one hand resting on her stomach.

“Missing you,” she replied. “What time did you get to bed at?”

“Late,” he murmured as he nuzzled her neck.

“Lex, I went to see Helen Bryce earlier.”

“What?” he exclaimed, lifting his head. “Why did you do that?”

“I wanted to ask her if she was here to seduce you,” she said.

Lex closed his eyes and shook his head for a moment. “And you just asked her straight out didn’t you?”

Chloe nodded and Lex couldn’t help but laugh. Only his wife would be that blunt. “And I take it her answer was no.”

“Of course, but there is something else going on. I’ve asked Pete to pay a visit to Carter Town to find out what he can about her, and Clark is going to continue to work on Lady Hardwick.”

“Chloe I agree with you that lady Bryce is lying and I haven’t believed anything Victoria has said since the Whitney Fordman incident. But it’s dangerous for you to be doing this.”

“Don’t give me that Lex, you would be doing the same thing yourself if you could. I know you are busy, so I took the initiative. Anyway you know I was never going to be the quite little wife,” she added with a grin.

“Well, one could *never* call you quiet,” he said with a smirk, “in fact I feel like making you scream. But seriously Chloe, be careful in trying to catch out Ladies Bryce and Hardwick, and keep me up to date with whatever you find out.”

“Of course,” she replied. “Now I do believe you said something about making me *scream*.”

Lex grinned at his wife before capturing her mouth in a passionate kiss. She moaned loudly as his tongue drew her own into his mouth, where he sucked on it gently.

“Lock the door,” he whispered when they parted. Chloe quickly got up and locked the door. She turned to find Lex stalking over to her. Heat coursed through her body and the lust she saw in his eyes. “Make me scream Lex,” she breathed.

‘God I love this woman,’ he thought as he pushed her against the door and kissed her hard.

Outside the room blushing servants went about their business doing their best to ignore the moans and groans coming from inside the other side of the door.

Chapter Forty Five – The Truth about Helen Bryce

It had taken two days of hard travelling for Pete to reach Carters Town. When he got there he stayed in the most expensive inn he could, making sure that the people around knew he had money. It was a small quaint town, about a third the size of Smallville. The highest-ranking member of society was a Count who lived in a smallish castle in the heart of the town. After getting himself settled in Pete called upon the count.

He walked the short distance from the inn to the castle and announced himself to the guard on the gate. After a wait of about five minutes he was escorted to the castle.

“Duke Ross, how nice of you to visit,” said count Reynolds when Pete entered the main room of the castle.

“Count,” said Pete, “thank you for seeing me without an official appointment.”

“Its no problem, we don’t tend to get many visitors from Metropolis here,” replied the older man. “Please have a seat.”

Pete took a seat offered and found himself facing the count.

“I am getting the impression Duke Ross that this is *not* a social call.”

“Call me Pete please. And yes you’re right it’s not a social call as such.”

“Very well Pete, call me John. Now tell me what has brought you to Carters Town?”

“Lady Helen Bryce,” said Pete and noted the gasp that flew from the count’s mouth at the mention of her name. “I take it you’ve heard of her,” he commented when the older man composed himself.

“We have, and I have to say we were glad to see the back of her, she was nothing but trouble while she was here.”

“Well she’s turned up in Metropolis looking for sanctuary,” said Pete. “The king has give her a cottage on the palace grounds. She says she is fleeing her husband’s killer and that he is after her and wants to feel *safe* until he has been captured. But the prince and princess aren’t too convinced of the validity of her story.”

“Bryce isn’t her marriage name, when she first arrived here she was already Lady Helen Bryce and was married to a lord Kwan, we never did find out exactly where he was from. But they hadn't being married long and had purchased a property on the outskirts of town. Rumours soon started of various indiscretions around town between the *lady* and certain men. In fact during one dinner party here at the castle she made an attempt to seduce myself.”

“Well that habit hasn’t changed,” retorted Pete. “There was an incident like that with the prince not too long ago. What was the story around her husband’s death?”

“That in itself is a mystery. He pretty much kept himself to himself while they were here. He was friendly enough but tended to go out of his way not to mix with people. Although I would be surprised if he was ignorant to the carrying on of his wife, but you never know. Then one morning the maid entered his room with his breakfast and found him dead in the bed, his throat had been slit. According to statements taken from their staff most heard nothing but a couple attested to seeing a cloaked figure riding away from the house. Lady Bryce ran the full range of emotions of the devastated wife. She claimed to have been asleep in her own room and heard nothing until the screams of the maid woke her. Of course we carried out an investigation but it was to no avail. A few weeks after Lord Kwan’s death, Lady Bryce packed up and left, telling no one where she was headed too.”

“And did she say anything else during her questioning other than she heard nothing?” asked Pete.

“Not really. She said she wasn’t aware of any enemies that her husband may have had. I brought up the question of could the murderer of been a jealous lover. To which she replied that would be impossible, that she was completely faithful to her husband. How she managed to make a statement with a straight face will forever be a mystery to me.”

“What are your thoughts on the murder?”

“Honestly Pete, I think she killed him and was very good at covering her tracks. But I have to say her leaving came as a surprise. She had said she would stay in Carters Town for a while, and then one day she just upped and left. I do know she received a message the day before leaving so maybe that had something to do with it but I never did see the message myself.”

Pete sat back in his chair and thought over what the count had said.

“I’m sorry I couldn’t have been more help,” said Reynolds.

“You have been very helpful,” replied Pete. “Believe me this is more information than we had. I was wondering was any of Lady Bryce’s staff still in town?”

“The only one I can think of is a maid, what was here name now?” He paused for a moment, trying to recollect the name. “Greer, Tina Greer that’s it. She is working at the inn you’re staying in.”

“Excellent,” said Pete, “I’ll have a word with her as well. Thank you for your time John it is most appreciated.”

“Glad to help, would you like to stay for dinner before heading back to the inn?”

“That would be nice, thanks.”

A few hours later Pete made his way back to the inn. When he got there he enquired after Tina Greer and discovered she was working in the kitchen. After making introductions he arranged to meet with her in an hour.

As he sat in his room waiting for her he went over his conversation with count Reynolds. There was definitely a darker side to Helen Bryce. ‘I wonder if she’s in Metropolis to murder again,’ he thought. ‘And if she is I’d put money on her target being either Lex or Chloe, or maybe even both. But why them? Had someone hired her? Was Lady Hardwick involved?’ He hoped this maid might be able to give him a little more information.

He was interrupted from his thoughts by a knock on the room. “Come in,” he said. A slightly nervous looking young woman entered the room.

“Duke Ross,” she said with a curtsey.

“Tina, thank you for coming to speak with me,” he said, “please have a seat.” She took the seat opposite him.

“I want to ask you a few questions about Lady Helen Bryce,” he asked when she was seated. He noticed the look of fear that crossed the girl’s face at the mention of Helen’s name.

“I don’t know much,” she said, “I only worked for a little while.”

“Where you there when lord Kwan was murdered?”

She nodded, “but I didn’t see anything and I told that to the count when I was questioned.”

“Tina, why are you afraid of her? The moment I mentioned her name a look of fear appeared on your face.”

The girl remained silent, staring at her hands that were clasped in her lap.

“Tina,” he asked again.

“She said she would kill me if I said anything,” she whispered. “And even though she is gone I think she has spies around the town.”

“I won’t let anything happen to you,” said Pete. “I can give you money to get away from this town. Please tell me what you know.”

Tina took a deep shuddering breath and lifted her head to look at Pete. “She killed her husband, I saw it myself, I was…I was her husband’s mistress. I had just left him when I saw her enter the room, a while later she came out and I looked in and he…he was dead, there was blood everywhere.” She covered her face with her hands and began crying.

“It’s ok,” said Pete soothingly. He waited a few minutes till the girl composed herself again.

“A few weeks after his death she received a message, immediately after getting it she announced she was leaving Carters Town. She came to see me before she left and warned me not to say anything or she would have me killed.”

Pete reached for a pouch on the table beside him and handed it to the girl. She opened it and gasped when she saw the gold coins inside. “Thank you,” she whispered.

“Leave here,” he said, “go somewhere safe.”

She got up quickly and headed for the door, “oh Tina, you don’t know who the message came from do you?”

She turned to face him again. “I don’t know who sent it,” she said. “But I did here her dispatching another message to someone in Metropolis called Justin. Does that help?”

‘Justin,’ thought Pete. ‘Victoria’s servant.’ “Oh yes, it helps very much. Thank you again.”

With a smile and a curtsey the girl hurried away.

“Yes,” exclaimed Pete. “We’ve got Victoria.”

gravelgerdie
5th March 2003, 22:53
Love Love Love it Fi:D

Suzanne

Signature removed

Queen Of Tact
5th March 2003, 23:22
Yeah another ch so soon!!!! I love it... I still can't wait to read more.... Hehehe remind me never to piss Chloe off.....

drina
6th March 2003, 08:21
hi fiona
thanx 4 sending the chapters that i requested. i've enjoyed this story so far. great work. :sign4:

Not An Addict
6th March 2003, 09:14
Hee hee! Oh, Victoria is SO dead now! *dances* Proof that she knows Helen, and they'll figure out Helen's assignment (hopefully before anything bad happens), and they'll both get fed to the dragon. :D Great chapter as always. I love how you keep bringing in the other characters! I couldn't stop laughing when they mentioned 'Count Reynolds'. :partyhat:

scifichick774
6th March 2003, 20:05
I can't believe I missed so many updates. I really need to get better about checking this section.
I'm so thrilled to see Victoria and Helen about to die - at least that's what I'm hoping for.
Please let Pete get back in time to tell Lex & Chloe.

ruafair
6th March 2003, 21:44
Thank you so much for the reviews. Here Chapter 46....Fiona.

Chapter Forty Six – Put The Clues Together

Pete stayed in Carters Town for one more night. He had gone looking or Tina Greer the following morning but he had been informed that she left town. He paid one last visit to Count Reynolds to thank him for his help and then started off for Metropolis.

He had spent the best part of the night going over in his mind everything Reynolds and Tina had told him. And now matter how many times he pieced things together; he always came up with the same result. Victoria Hardwick, for reasons know only to her, hired Lady Helen Bryce to kill Lex and Chloe. Pete knew Victoria was jealous of the prince’s marriage but resorting to murder was taking things a little too far.

As the coach hurried along Pete wondered how Helen was going to strike. She could hardly kill them like she did her husband, and even more disturbing to him was the fact that the princess was pregnant and still that didn’t seem like a deterrent to her carrying out her *assignment*.

‘That is one evil woman,’ he thought. A clap of thunder startled Pete from his thoughts. He lifted the curtain covering the window of the coach and saw that it was raining very heavily outside. The coach bounced around as the horses galloped along. An inner voice told Pete he should probably stop and wait for the worst of the rain to pass, but all Pete could focus on was getting back to the palace and stopping Helen Bryce. Lex was, along with Clark, his best friend and since she had married Lex, Pete had come to count on the princess as a friend as well. He cared for them both and would never let anything happen to either of them.

“Has there been any word from Pete?” asked Chloe when Clark walked into the room.

“Not yet highness,” he replied. “But it has only been five days, and it would take at least three or four days to actually get to Carters Town.”

“I suppose,” said Chloe with a sigh.

“Have you had any luck interviewing Lady Hardwick’s staff?” asked Lex.

“Not really, they are all either very loyal to her or very scared of her,” he said. “Which means none of them are talking. I’ve even offered bribes but still they aren’t budging.”

“What about the servants here?” piped up Lana.

All three turned to look at the brunette and she blushed. “What I mean is, if Lady Hardwick’s staff aren't talking because of the reasons Clark gave maybe whomever here in the palace that is working for her will.”

“That could work,” said Chloe. “If they are here Victoria’s influence wouldn’t be as strong and might be more inclined to talk. Excellent idea Lana.”

The other woman beamed and caught Clark’s eye. He smiled back.

“It would take forever to interview every member of staff in the palace,” said Lex, “so we need to narrow the field down somewhat. Start with any servants that were hired in and around the time of the wedding.”

“Also talk to the guards who were on duty when Dominic was here,” said Chloe. She paused for a moment and shuddered slightly as memories of her time captured flooded her mind at the mention of Dominic’s name. Sensing her unease, Lex took her hand and squeezed it gently.

“Very well highness,” said Clark. “And as usual I’ll use guards I trust to help me with the interviewing.”

“There has been no news from the new servants now tending to Lady Bryce,” said Lana. “They all say she’s been spending most of her time in her rooms and hasn’t received any visitors or messages since you *visited* highness,” she directed at Chloe.

“So there isn’t really a lot we can do until either Clark comes with something or Pete comes back with something,” said Lex.

“Or Lady Bryce decides to make a move,” added Chloe.

“Well I’ll go and start talking to the staff here in palace,” said Clark. “I will report back if I come up with anything. Lana do you want to come along, you would know the staff that were hired coming up to the wedding?”

“Sure,” said the brunette standing up, “unless of course the princess needs me for something.”

“No you go ahead Lana,” said Chloe with a smile, knowing the two wanted to spend time together.

With a bow and curtsey from both they left the room. Lex let out a sigh when they were gone. “What’s wrong?” asked Chloe.

“I don’t like this not knowing what’s going to happen,” he said. “It means we can be caught by surprise because we don’t know the exact plan. And on top of that my father has been handing more and more duties over to me. If this continues *I’ll* be running the kingdom soon.”

“But that would have happened anyway,” replied Chloe. “You *are* going to be king someday and I think it would be nice if your father didn’t have to die for that to happen.”

“I know, it’s just I don’t get to spend as much time with you now,” he said. “And especially with the baby on the way I wanted to be around more.”

“You are around enough my love,” she said. “You are going to be king, and that means I will be queen, it’s something I’ve come to accept, and when it does happen our time will be even less our own.”

“MMM so we’ll have to sneak off every now and then to be *together*,” he said with a smirk.

“We do that anyway,” she replied with a laugh.

He pulled her into his arms and kissed her gently. “I wouldn’t have been able to get through this without you,” he whispered.

She was about to answer but a gasp flew from her lips instead and her hand went quickly to her stomach. “What’s wrong?” asked a concerned Lex. “Is there something wrong with the baby?”

She grabbed his hand and placed it on her swollen stomach. There was nothing for a moment and then he felt it, a faint movement. He looked up into Chloe’s eyes, an expression of wonder on both their faces. Although both knew there was a baby on the way, feeling it move sort of made it more real for them.

“Our baby,” he whispered. Chloe smiled at him and kissed him. “See you were around when it mattered,” she whispered back.

Lady Bryce paced around her room. Since all the servants where replaced she hadn’t been able to get a message in or out of the palace. And also there had been an increase in the number of guards watching her.

She wanted to leave Metropolis, but she wouldn’t get her money until the prince and princess had been taken care of. ‘I think it’s time to move things along,’ she thought. She headed to the front door and the guard stationed there.

“I wish to go into town,” she said to him. “Would that be possible?”

“It is my lady,” he replied. “I will organise a carriage for you immediately. My name is Sean, and I’m acquainted with Lady Hardwick.”

Helen smiled at the man. “I think you and I should have a chat on our way,” she said.

From his hidden position Clark watched as Sean and Lady Bryce left the cottage. Lex had his suspicions about Sean since Dominic’s death and had been looking for an opportunity to test him. So Clark had suggested putting him on guard duty outside Helen’s cottage.

He followed them to the stables and saw that they took a carriage and headed towards the main gate. Clark made his way to his horse and followed them, making sure he was out of sight the entire time.

‘Now let’s see who you are going to meet Lady Bryce,’ he thought.

scifichick774
6th March 2003, 21:58
Really bad grrr at Helen. Is death so much to ask Fiona? Is it?

Not An Addict
6th March 2003, 22:07
Oooh, that little weasel Sean. I'm glad that everyone's suspicious now. Be on your toes, people! Those two rotten wenches are not to be trusted. *growl* Great chapter. :D So cute with the baby moving. Hee! Can't wait for more.

Gemini
6th March 2003, 22:55
Fi, I love the new chapters! Mmmmm... you have indeed restored my faith in AU's. :partyhat:

Queen Of Tact
7th March 2003, 00:24
Fiona you know I luv ya right. Posting new ch so soon, but not knowing what those 2 Little B**** opps I mean "Ladies" are up too is driving me crazy!! Please please post again soon the waiting is killing me...

dsapiro
7th March 2003, 05:12
I love the new chapters. I can't wait to aee the genius way that I'm sure you have come up with to kill Helen and Victoria. :devil:

ruafair
7th March 2003, 21:13
Glad to see Helen and Victoria are still loved.... :eyebrows: Anyway here is Chapters 47 and 48, and there is a smut scene, I couldn't resist...hope you enjoy them......Fiona

------------------------------------------------------------------

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Chapter Forty Seven – Disaster Strikes

“Somebody up there doesn’t like me,” muttered Pete. After managing not to get themselves killed in the rain, they then had to stop because one of the horses lost a shoe. After an hour’s delay they finally got going again. The rain had stopped but the roads were all muddy and the pace of the horses wasn’t as fast as before.

Although it had taken a few days to get to Carters Town Pete intended on making it back to Metropolis in less than two. He wouldn’t be stopping to stay anywhere. Somewhere in the back of his mind he felt like he was racing against time. And time was running out on him.

“Let me get there before anything bad happens,” he muttered.

Clark caught up with the carriage just as it was pulling into the Hardwick estate. ‘I knew it,’ he thought. He looked around trying to figure out a way to get to the house and maybe even to hear what was going on.

He directed his horse around the back and dismounted, leaving his horse to graze hidden among a small patch of trees. The back door was open as servants passed in and out.

Sensing an opening Clark quickly made his way into the house. With stealth he managed to get to Victoria’s room without being spotted. Clark knew this wasn’t the best plan he’d ever come up with but he needed to know what was going on. He got into Lord Hardwick’s room closing the door behind him, knowing the man was away on business, and moved to the door that joined the room with his *wife’s* bedroom. This was a close as he could get without actually going into Victoria’s room.

He placed his ear against the door and could just make out the voices inside.

Lady Bryce took her seat and Victoria took the one opposite her. Sean and Justin stood to the side.

“I’ve been worried because I hadn’t heard from you,” said Victoria.

“My apologies but *something* happened and as a result there was an increase in security around the cottage where I am staying,” she replied.

“And what was this *something*?”

“I made a pass at the prince,” said Helen with a grin. “He wasn’t impressed and pretty much told me so. And then that *wife* of his came to see me and practically told me to stay away from her husband. Who does she think she is?”

“Yes I’ve heard that the little *kitten* has claws,” laughed Victoria. “Was seducing the prince part of your plan?”

“Not initially,” replied Helen. “But when I saw him I thought it would be an added bonus, he’s very attractive. I underestimated his *devotion* to his wife.”

“We *all* underestimated that,” muttered Victoria. Even before Lex fell for his wife he had stopped coming to see her, and then he had the *nerve* to fall in love with her. “I *hate* the princess,” said Victoria. “And Lex.”

“Maybe so, but I bet you anything you’d take back to your bed in a heartbeat,” retorted Helen.

“Well *Lady* Bryce that’s not going to be an option, so I’d rather we discussed your plan,” said Victoria, her leaving no doubt that the subject was closed. “So what is your next move going to be?”

“I’m tired of the games,” said Helen as she stood up and began pacing the room. “And I have never been spoken to the way the princess spoke to me. It took all my control not to kill her there and then. Actually I probably would have if her lady-in-waiting had of been there. I want to get the two of them together, so I’ve been thinking poison. Quick acting, completely fatal poison.”

“Have you got the poison?”

“I *always* carry a supply with me, one never knows when it will be needed. I’m going to strike in a couple of days. Between now and then I will get everything ready for my departure from Metropolis, which will include the rest of my fee from you.”

“I have that all ready for you,” replied Victoria. “It’s just waiting for you to complete your task. And it needs to be finished now; it should have never dragged on this long anyway. It should have been sorted when the princess was abducted but that plan failed miserably.”

Clark covered his mouth with his hand to prevent a gasp escaping as he listened to the plotting of the two women and Victoria’s admission of being involved in the princess’ abduction. ‘She’s going to poison them,’ he thought. He knew Victoria had never accepted Lex’s marriage but she must have really lost her mind to organise having them murdered.

‘I need to get back to palace,’ he thought. ‘The others need to be warned and we have to arrange the arrest of Victoria and the others.’

He moved away from the door joining the two rooms carefully and headed to main door. He placed his ear against it and when he was satisfied the coast was clear he opened the door.

“Going somewhere Duke Kent?” said Justin, holding a sword to Clark’s chest. “Take his sword,” he said to Sean when Clark remained silent.

The guard Clark’s sword quickly and hurried back to stand beside Justin. “Turn around,” said Justin, “and keep your hands up.” Clark turned around slowly; when his back was to the men he felt the point of the sword dig into his shoulder blade. “Move,” said Justin.

Clark headed towards the door and Sean moved ahead to open it. The two women gasped in surprise as they saw Clark walking into the room, closely followed by Justin.

“How much did you hear?” Helen asked after finding her voice. But still Clark kept his tongue. He glanced around the room trying to find an avenue of escape.

“She asked you a question,” said Justin, putting pressure on the blade. Clark gave a cry of pain as he felt the blade.

“I heard everything,” he said.

“And I suppose you were rushing back to the palace to let them all now,” said Victoria.

“You just couldn’t accept being second best,” said Clark. “I mean, honestly did you think Lex would of made *you* his wife?”

“I really don’t think you want to make me angry duke,” snapped Victoria.

“Truth hurts doesn’t it Victoria,” he said. She crossed the room and slapped Clark hard across the face.

“What are we going to do with him?” asked a very nervous Sean.

“He’s going to have a very unfortunate accident,” said Helen and nodded at Justin. Before Clark had time to react Justin hit him over the head and everything became black as he slumped to the floor unconscious.

All four stood around Clark’s unmoving body. “Dump him in the ravine at the back of the estate,” said Victoria. Justin nodded and called for help to carry Clark out of the room.

“I think I should be heading back to the palace,” said Helen. “Make arrangements for my money and passage out of Metropolis. On Saturday I will poison the prince and princess, make sure all is ready.

Victoria nodded and Helen and Sean left the room. “Soon it will be over,” muttered Victoria when they had gone.

Justin stood over the ravine looking at the body of Duke Clark Kent lying at the bottom. It was a particularly deep ravine but the fall would be enough to break bones, and Justin was satisfied that Kent’s neck was broken. Especially due to the awkward angle he was lying at. With one last glance he headed back to his horse.

Helen made it back to the palace and settled herself into her cottage. Locking herself away in her room she set about preparing the poison that she would need.

Outside the cottage a very sick-looking Sean stood. His mind was going over and over everything that had happened. ‘I’ve gotten too involved,’ he said. ‘It will be the death penalty for me if I’m caught.’

Lana stood on the palace steps watching for Clark. She had seen him since earlier and he had said he would be around later to go for a walk.

She breathed a sigh of relief as she saw a horse in the distance. “This must be him now,” she murmured. As the horse drew nearer she noticed it had no rider. ‘Strange,’ she thought.

“Oh my that’s Clark’s horse,” she gasped. “But where is he?” Fearing something was wrong she ran inside to get the prince.

Chapter Forty Eight – The Missing Duke

“Why are we slowing down?” asked Pete, sticking his head out of the coach.

“Apologies duke,” said the driver, “but the bridge is out.”

“This is so not happening,” muttered Pete as the coach came to a stop. He got out and surveyed the damage. The middle section of the bridge was indeed gone. “Is there anyway we can cross with having to ride onto the next bridge?” he asked.

“I’m not sure, although about a half a mile further up, there use to be a small public bridge and water there isn’t as deep,” replied the driver. “If it is still like that we could wade across with the coach.”

“Let’s head for there,” said Pete, climbing back in. He threw his eyes towards the heavens as the coach set off again, “I know you like to test us God, but now is not the time. Not with my best friend and his wife’s lives on the line.” He leaned back in his seat and sighed, they where still a day from Metropolis. ‘If the pace didn’t start to pick up again the next couple of hours I’ll just take a horse and ride the rest of the way myself,’ thought Pete.

Chloe pushed her head against the pillows and arched her back as Lex slowly kissed his way down her body. With all the palace business finished for the day, Lex and Chloe wasted no time in getting upstairs to their bedroom.

After lavishing her breasts Lex moved his mouth lower. He placed soft kisses on her swollen stomach. “Lex,” she moaned, her hand resting on his head. Lex glanced up to see her head thrown back, her chest pushed out, her taut nipples standing out like hard points. He shifted in the bed and spread her legs a little wider before settling between them. He licked and kissed her inner thighs, causing her to whimper.

Lex moved closer to her centre and kissed around it. “Lex please,” she moaned, trying to press closer.

“Patience my love,” he chuckled against her leg. He moved closer and took one slow lick of her centre. “Oh yes,” she groaned. Lex loved this, Chloe’s body laid out like this for him. He touched his tongue to her again and her taste exploded on his tongue. Her whimpers and moans were driving him crazy and his own body was begging him to be inside her.

“Make love to me Lex,” she breathed her voice husky with desire. He tasted her once more and then climbed back up her body. Bracing his arms either side of her head he slowly slid into her. Both groaned at the feeling. “I love you so much,” he whispered. “I love you too,” she replied. He began slow even strokes; Chloe arched her body to meet his movements. Lex groaned loudly as he felt her stomach rub against his.

His pace picked up as he felt her clench around him and he lowered his head to kiss her. Chloe sucked on his tongue in time with his thrusts. He slowed down again and Chloe wrapped her legs tighter around him, pulling him deeper into her.

“So good,” he moaned. He pulled himself up on his knees taking her with him; he was still buried inside her. Chloe gasped as she felt him slip deeper. She placed her hands on his shoulders and began moving herself up and down on him.

That did it for Lex with a roar he exploded in her, the sensation sending Chloe into her own climax. Moans greeted each pulse of their release until they collapsed back onto the bed. Chloe lifted her head from his neck and kissed him gently. He wrapped his arms around her pulling her close.

“MMM now this is the royal duty I love,” he said when he got his voice back.

“Good,” murmured Chloe, “because it’s one I will be expecting you to continue to lavish on me.”

“With pleasure,” he replied, “with pleasure.”

A very agitated Lana ran into the throne room to see the king and queen but no sign of Lex and Chloe.

“Lana my dear,” exclaimed the queen, “what’s wrong?”

Lana began babbling and Lillian and Lionel managed to understand some words. Clark…Late…Horse…Alone.

“Lana please slow down we can’t understand you,” said Lionel.

The brunette took a deep breath. “Clark was suppose to met me for a walk today. He was late so I went out to the main door to wait for him. Then he horse appeared, rider-less, and there is no sigh of Clark.”

“Have you any idea where he was going?” asked Lillian, concern in her voice.

“He was keeping an eye on Lady Bryce, he said something about not trusting the guard he had assigned to her and wanted to see if anything happened.”

Lionel called a servant over and told him to get the guard currently stationed at Lady Bryce’s cottage to come to the palace and to organise another guard to take his place. The servant bowed and hurried off.

“I’ll get Lex and Chloe,” said Lillian, hurrying out of the room.

“I’m sure he is fine,” said Lionel, although he didn’t sound too convinced himself.

Lillian knocked loudly on the bedroom door. After a moment a rather dishevelled looking Chloe clad in only a sheet opened the door. “Majesty, what’s wrong?” she gasped when she took in the queen’s distressed state.

“It’s Clark, he seems to be missing,” she said.

By now Lex had got out of bed and stood behind his wife. “We’ll be down immediately,” he said. Lillian nodded and headed back to the throne room.

Lillian was only back in the throne room when Lex and Chloe came in. Both looking like they had dressed in haste. “Ok tell me what happened?” asked Lex.

Lana repeated what she had told the king and queen. “I’ve asked for the guard to come here,” said Lionel, when Lana had finished speaking. Chloe went over to the brunette and took her hand. “Thank you highness,” whispered a grateful Lana. Chloe just smiled at her.

The door open and a very nervous looking Sean stepped into the room. He glanced around to see the king, queen, prince and princess all present. ‘This is not good,’ he thought. The door closed behind him and two guards stood in front of it. ‘Not good at all.’

“You wanted to see me majesty,” said Sean to the king.

“You were on guard outside Lady Bryce's cottage, have you been there all day?”

“She wanted to go into town earlier,” he replied. “I accompanied her, we were gone a couple of hours.”

“And where did you go?” asked Lillian

“Just around the markets majesty, she bought some fabrics.”

“Did you happen to see Duke Kent at all?” asked Lex.

Sean flinched at the mention of Clark’s name. "No, no highness, I haven’t seen him since he told me I was to watch Lady Bryce’s cottage. I there…is there something wrong?”

“What did you say Lady Bryce bought in town?” asked Lex.

“She didn’t buy, she visited a friend,” said Sean.

“But I thought you said she bought fabrics,” said Chloe.

‘Damn,’ thought Sean. “I...I mean she bought them and then visited a friend,” he stammered.

“Whom did she visit? I wasn’t aware Lady Bryce had any friends in town,” said Lex.

Sean opened his mouth to speak but nothing would come out. He closed it again and glanced at the two guards who had suddenly moved closer to him. “Where is Clark?” asked Lex as he approached him. “It might make things easier for you if you tell the truth.”

Sean fell to knees, “please highness forgive me, I never meant for things to go this far.”

“Where is Clark?” repeated Lex.

“Dead,” said Sean, “or as good as.”

lauren
7th March 2003, 21:28
I know I should feel sad that Clark might be dead...but I don't. After all, he's been a jerk to my Chloe. Besides, Clark has power in this fic too...right? I wouldn't mind if he really died, then Lana would remain an old maid for the rest of her life!!! :devil:

Lauren

Queen Of Tact
7th March 2003, 21:30
OMG! Poor Clark... Please tell me he's not dead.... I hope Pete get's there in time to save Chloe and Lex... Please please post again soon...

CC

petriebird18
7th March 2003, 21:31
Oohhh, sean's in sooooo much trouble!!!!! :o Is Clark actually going to live? i can't wait to read more! i'm soooo addicted to this fic! :D
~Deidre~

ruafair
7th March 2003, 21:49
Originally posted by lauren@Mar 7 2003, 07:28 PM
I know I should feel sad that Clark might be dead...but I don't. After all, he's been a jerk to my Chloe. Besides, Clark has power in this fic too...right? I wouldn't mind if he really died, then Lana would remain an old maid for the rest of her life!!! :devil:

Lauren
Hey Lauren, no in this Clark is just ordinary human, no powers at all.....

Glad you like it....

Not An Addict
7th March 2003, 23:39
Yipes! Ok, first thing, that smut scene: *wipes sweat from forehead* Wow. :eyebrows: Second thing: Clark can't be dead! See, this is how good you are--I actually want Lana to be happy. Who'd have thought? Great job; you have me waiting on the edge of my seat to find out what happens next. More soon, please!

scifichick774
8th March 2003, 00:04
Stupid Sean. He needs to die. But not before he rats out Victoria and Helen and they get the death penalty for what they've done.
And Clark - eh - mixed feelings. I don't mind him in this fic, so I kind of feel bad; but at the same time - he's kind of turned into a jerk instead of a friend to Chloe on the show and I can't help my emotions about that seeping into it. But, I'm sure you wouldn't kill him off after all the matchmaking you've been doing with him and Lana.
Please write more soon.

drina
8th March 2003, 05:13
Oh no! clark can't die... :(

but it seems most likely he is, esp wif ur ominous description...

ruafair
8th March 2003, 21:24
Ok my dears Chapter 49 of the fic that just won't end...... :tongue: ..Fiona

-----------------------------------------------------------
------------------------------------------------------------

Chapter Forty Nine – Sean Talks

“Dead,” whispered Lex. “He can’t be, not Clark.” The room fell silent and Chloe couldn’t help the tears that now flooded her eyes. She glanced at Lana and Lillian and noticed they were crying themselves.

“What exactly happened?” asked Lex.

“Please highness, it wasn’t me I just….” Stammered Sean.

“Tell me what happened?” shouted Lex, “or I swear I will execute you myself right here and now.”

Sean flinched and struggled to get up from his knees. The look in Lex’s eye scared Sean more than anything hew had ever seen before, and didn’t doubt that the prince would indeed execute him here in the throne room.

“I…I escorted Lady Bryce to visit Lady Hardwick,” he began. The mention of Victoria’s name caused everyone in the room to gasp. “While we were there, Lady Hardwick’s servant Justin and myself came upon Duke Kent listening in on the conversation. We escorted him to where the ladies were and after a brief conversation Justin knocked the duke out. On Lady Hardwick’s instructions he was thrown into the ravine at the back of the Hardwick estate. I can’t confirm if he is dead, but…but the way his body landed and the fact there was no movement would seem to indicate that he was dead.”

Chloe released Lana’s hand and hurried over to Lex. She wrapped her arm around his waist. “Take a few men with you and go search the ravine he is talking about,” she said to one of the guards. He bowed and quickly left the room. “You, take a contingent of guards with you and go arrest Lady Victoria and her servant,” she said to the other guard. He followed his companion quickly out of the room.

Despite what they had just heard and the fact that Clark might be dead Chloe couldn’t help the happy feeling that coursed through her body when she told the guard to arrest Victoria.

More guards entered the throne room. Two of them hauled Sean off the floor. “Ride out and see if you can meet Duke’s Ross’ coach I don’t know if he is in danger as well, but I’d rather not take any chances,” said Lex to one of them. “And the rest of you head out to Lady Bryce’s cottage and make sure she doesn’t leave.”

The throne room was a flurry of commotion as guards rushed around.

“What else aren’t you telling us?” asked Chloe as she faced Sean again.

The young man closed his eyes for a moment. ‘Might as well tell them,’ and inner voice spoke up, ‘it’s not going to make any difference now keeping it to yourself.’ He opened his eyes again and focussed his gaze on the princess.

“I helped kill Dominic,” he said. “He wasn’t trying to escape, Lady Hardwick had everything organised. He thought I was helping him to escape but when we got to the main door, Justin was waiting and he killed him. Also it was never Count Fordman who gave the over for you to be hurt princess, it was Lady Hardwick who told Dominic he could…he could do whatever he wanted to you.”

“So it’s always been Victoria,” said Lionel, shaking his head. “She has been the cause of all this.”

“I will kill her myself,” said Lex, “there will be no mercy.” Chloe tightened her grip on Lex’s waist and he leaned into her.

“Is that everything,” said Lillian to Sean, “or do you have more tales of treachery and treason to tell us?”

Sean took a deep breath and turned to face the queen. “Lady…Lady Bryce was *hired* by Lady Hardwick to…to kill the prince and princess. I am so, so sorry majesty I never thought things would get this bad…but…but Lady Hardwick she is…she is mad.”

“Take him away,” said Lionel. “We will talk to him again later.”

When Sean and all the guards left the room a silence descended on everyone. Each lost in their own thoughts over what had transpired. Lex wrapped his arms around Chloe and hugged her tight. “I love you,” he murmured in her ear. “I love you too,” she replied softly.

Chloe glanced over at Lana and saw that the poor girl was as white as a ghost and looked ready to faint. Lillian noticed this as well and made her way over to the brunette. “Take a seat my dear,” she said to her.

Suddenly two guards burst into the room.

“Apologies majesties,” said one very out of breath guard, “but Lady Bryce is gone. And the guard watching her is dead. We’ve searched the surrounding areas but there is no sign of her.”

“Have you got word to the gates to make sure she hasn’t got through?” asked Lionel.

“Yes majesty, and they have been closed. We currently have guards all over the grounds looking for her.”

“I’ll help look for her,” said Lex.

“No,” exclaimed Chloe. “Lex, she’s here to kill us you have to stay here.”

“Chloe is right,” said Lionel. “The two of you need to stay within the palace until she has been apprehended. That’s an order Lex.”

“Yes sir,” mumbled Lex, and Chloe breathed a sigh of relief and buried herself in Lex’s arms again.

“Chloe you look like you should go and lie down my dear,” said Lionel.

“I will soon,” she replied. “I want to hear how Clark is first.”

Before anyone could answer the door opened again and another guard came in. “Majesties we found duke Kent, he’s...he’s not dead.”

A collective sigh of relief sounded around the room. “But,” continued the guard, “he is badly injured. He had a nasty head wound and his leg is broken. We have him in a coach and it’s on the way back. The physician has been notified.”

“Thank you,” said Lionel, the guard bowed and left the room.

“I’m going to wait for him,” said Lana, “and make sure the room is ready.”

“Yes my dear you go,” said Lillian with a smile. Lana smiled weakly at them all and left the room.

“I want to be present when the bring Victoria in and you talk to her,” said Chloe, drawing gaps from Lex and Lionel.

“I don’t think so sweetheart,” said Lex.

“I DO think so,” she replied. “Lex, please I *need* to be there I have to be there. Please.”

Lex looked into her hazel eyes that were currently pleading with him. He cupped her cheek, “ok,” he relented. “Thank you,” she whispered.

“Your father and I will be there as well Lex,” said Lillian, her tone indicating that there would be no further discussion on her statement.

“So Lady Hardwick will be hit with the full force of the Luthor royal family,” said Lionel with a smile, “and the Sullivan-Luthor,” he added, smiling at Chloe.

The others smiled back Lionel, grateful for the lightening of the mood. The four of them left the throne room, closely followed by guards. They were stopped as they headed towards the room Clark was being put into. “Majesties, highnesses," said a guard. “We have Lady Hardwick and her servant is custody. They are both currently in the dungeons. Also there has still been no sigh of Lady Bryce.”

“Thank you,” said Lex. “Let them stew in there for a while.” He smirked at the thought of Victoria languishing in a dungeon. ‘Good enough for her,’ he thought.

The guard left and they continued to see Clark. When they got there Clark was lying unconscious on the bed, Lana was seated beside him, holding his hand and Toby was hovering over him.

“Poor Clark,” whispered Chloe.

“Chloe now that you’ve seen Clark, please go and lie down,” said Lillian. “You look quite exhausted. You too Lex.”

With a sigh Chloe nodded. She took Lex’s hand and they made their way upstairs to their bedroom. They lay on the bed and wrapped themselves around each other.

“We’ll get her,” said Lex softly and he felt Chloe nod against his chest. He closed his eyes and tightened his arms around her, and both fell into a light sleep.

Tandy
8th March 2003, 22:09
Yay! Clark is alive. You have to forgive me for not reviewing sooner but I've kind of been a lurker since before the fanfiction script went down! Well, I'm here now, and your fic kicks ass! You are my goddess for updating daily! :heart:

Tandy

dsapiro
8th March 2003, 23:16
OMG, this is such a great fic!! :love: Clark is not dead, yay! Vitoria is going to be fed to the dragon!!! Can't wait to read more! :sign2: :sign3:

petriebird18
8th March 2003, 23:27
Yay!!!! Victoria's gonna die!!!! Hmmmm, but where is Helen? And who will she try and kill, Lex and Chloe, or Victoria, Justin and Sean? I can't wait to read more!!! :D
~Deidre~

scifichick774
8th March 2003, 23:50
Victoria's gonna die, Victoria's gonna die. :love: You can't hear my taunting chant, but it's lovely, really. Now, they just need to find Helen and kill her too.

Queen Of Tact
9th March 2003, 00:19
Oh I can't wait to see Vic get what's comming to her! Then Helen is going to get her's. Oh this is so great! They need to die that all I have to say about them..

Awww you just have to love Chloe and Lex together...
They are so great for each other...

I'm even happy for Lana that Clark is alive. I know it's hard to believe but i really like Clark and Lana in this story..

CC

Not An Addict
9th March 2003, 10:08
Yay! Non-dead Clark, lovey Chloe and Lex, and dragon-chow Victoria. Now we just have to round up Helen, and we'll be set. Grrrr, Helen. Must not stab . . . must leave that to Lex . . . :) And Toby! Yay for peripheral characters! :D Can't wait for more.

ruafair
9th March 2003, 16:31
Thanks for the reviews, you'll be happy to know that there aren't many chapters left. So here is chapter 50, (and yes I can't beleive I've written a 50 chapter fic and that people are still reading)...Fiona

-------------------------------------------------------------

-------------------------------------------------------------

Chapter Fifty – Just Desserts

It was the second kick that woke Lex up. He blinked a few times to clear the sleep from his head. He glanced down to his hand resting on Chloe’s stomach. He smiled as he felt the baby move under his hand. Chloe shifted in her sleep and rolled onto her back. When she had settled down again Lex once more rested his hand on her stomach.

He glanced up into Chloe’s face her mouth was slightly parted. With his other hand Lex brushed her hair from her face. Lex’s mind drifted back to his first meeting with Chloe and he smiled as he remembered her slapping him for kissing her. ‘Now look at us,’ he thought, ‘soon to be parents.’

‘Victoria and Lady Bryce, and anyone else involved in their plans will suffer,’ he decided. They were *not* going to get away with what they had done. For Chloe’s abduction, for their attempted murder of Clark and for plotting to kill him, Chloe and their unborn child, Lex would make sure they were all executed.

He leaned forward and kissed Chloe’s mouth gently. Her eyes fluttered open and she smiled sleepily at him. “It’s wasn’t all a bad dream, was it?” she whispered.

“Unfortunately my love it wasn’t. Victoria is in the dungeons and Helen Bryce is still at large.”

“Someone is restless,” she said as she felt the baby move. Lex smiled and kissed her stomach gently before rubbing it. “Are you sure you want to talk to Victoria with me?” he asked.

“Very sure Lex,” she replied. “Very sure.”

“It will all be over soon,” he whispered as he pulled her closer. “Soon.”

Clark opened his eyes and then closed them quickly again. He raised a hand to his head and whimpered softly in pain as he felt the large bump. He moved slightly on the bed and cried out loud in pain as he jarred his broken leg.

“Clark,” a concerned voice spoke.

He opened his eyes once more and saw Lana hovering over him. “Lex and Chloe,” he gasped.

“They are fine,” she said. “They are both asleep at the moment.”

“Victoria and Lady Bryce, where are they?”

“Lady Hardwick is currently in the dungeons, but Lady Bryce is missing.”

Clark tried to sit up but Lana easily pushed him back down. “The physician says you are not to move,” she said.

“I need to talk to Lex,” he panted. “Helen’s plan…poison. She is going to poison them.”

Lana went to the door and, told one of the guards positioned outside to fetch the king immediately. He hurried off and Lana returned to Clark’s side. She took his hand in hers and squeezed it gently. “I have sent for the king,” she said.

Clark smiled gently and closed his eyes again.

LATER THAT NIGHT

Pete will be here in the morning,” said Lillian as she read the message. “He has been informed of what has happened. He said he found out that Lady Bryce’s husband died under suspicious circumstances and that he found a witness who said she murdered him.”

Lex nodded, “that doesn’t surprise me.” He had got come back from speaking with Clark. He had told him of Helen’s plans to poison them. And that Victoria had completely agreed with the plan. Lex hadn’t stayed long with Clark; the dark-haired duke needed his rest. Lana refused to leave Clark’s side and when Lex had left she once again positioned herself on the side of the bed, with Clark’s hand in hers.

Lex ran a hand over his head as he pictured his bruised and battered friend. “Duke Kent is *very* lucky to be alive,” Toby had said. ‘I nearly lost my best friend,’ thought Lex. ‘And if Helen Bruce isn’t found soon I could lose my wife and child.’

“The guard, Sean, confirmed Clark’s story about the poison,” said Lionel. “Security in the palace has been increased three-fold. Also the guards around the grounds and perimeter have been increased.”

“I think she, Lady Bryce, is still on the palace grounds,” said Chloe. The others all turned to look at her. “She will want to finish off the job,” she continued. “So she won’t have gone far. She still intends to strike, I don’t know if she’ll go ahead with her plan to poison us, but she will still try to kill us.”

“Maybe the two of you should leave Metropolis for a while,” said Lillian. “You could go and visit your father Chloe.”

“No,” said Lex. “I will not be driven from my own home.” “I agree,’” said Chloe and she moved to stand beside Lex. His took her hand and kissed it gently.

Lillian smiled, “it was just a suggestion. Deep down I didn’t think either of you would go for it.”

“Are you going to talk to Victoria now?” asked Lionel.

Lex nodded.

“Your mother an I will stay here,” he said. He glanced at Lillian when she was about to protest. “It’s better if just Lex and Chloe go my dear,” he said. Reluctantly Lillian agreed.

“Ready your highnesses,” said a guard. “Lead on,” said Lex. Tightening his grip on Chloe’s hand the made their way to the dungeon.

Despite everything that had happened, Victoria managed to keep her cool exterior. She continued to complain to the guards, asking them did then know who she was and how dare they treat her like this. For their part, the guards just ignored her.

She wondered where Helen was. She knew Justin was in one of the cells, but there had been no mention of Lady Bryce. And anytime she tried to ask a guard they refused to speak to her.

Suddenly the door to her cell opened and two guards stepped in. Victoria stood up and faced them, wondering what was going on. The guards moved to the side and Victoria gasped when she saw Lex and Chloe standing there.

“Sorry to disappoint you Victoria,” said Chloe, “but as you can see the *three* of us are still alive.” Lex wrapped an arm around her waist and pulled her closer.

Victoria quickly gathered her composure and turned to Lex. “What is the meaning of this? Why am I being held here?” she demanded.

“Shut up,” said Lex, his voice dripping with anger. “You have no rights here. We have spoken to Sean and he was very informative. Also *Clark* was extremely helpful.”

“He’s dead,” Victoria blurted out, and then clamped a hand over her mouth as she realised what she had done.

“He’s not,” replied Chloe, “despite *your* best efforts we found him and he is recovering.”

“What happens now?” she asked.

“You will be executed tomorrow,” said Lex. “And if I could I would behead you myself.”

“Executed…tomorrow…please Lex, you can’t,” she pleaded.

“You don’t get to ask for anything. After everything you’ve done did you honestly think you wouldn’t be punished? You plotted with Whitney Fordman to arrange the abduction of Chloe and then organised to have Dominic killed so you wouldn’t be implemented. And then…then you hire someone to kill Chloe and me. What did you think you’d get? A reward…”

“But…but you can’t kill me,” stammered Victoria.

“Oh but it’s ok for you to arrange for us to be killed,” said Chloe. She walked right up to Victoria. “What gave you the right to decide that if you couldn’t have Lex no one could? Execution is still too light a punishment for you.” She slapped the other woman hard across the face and walked back over to Lex.

“Victoria Hardwick, you and your servant Justin will be beheaded tomorrow,” said Lex, and with that he and Chloe left the room. The cell door was shut on a screaming Victoria, as she begged and pleaded for mercy. But her cries fell on deaf ears.

Catheryne
9th March 2003, 17:05
Ohhh crime SO does not pay... *shakes head*

*g* I adore your Chlex. They're just so perfect together. And Lex is turning out to be such a sappy daddy heehee

drina
9th March 2003, 17:09
does it make me a bad person if i jump at the joy of someone bering executed?:badboy:
i don't think so, coz victoria is the devil.

so glad that clark didn't die.

dsapiro
9th March 2003, 21:38
Originally posted by drina@Mar 9 2003, 03:09 PM
does it make me a bad person if i jump at the joy of someone bering executed?:badboy:
i don't think so, coz victoria is the devil.

so glad that clark didn't die.
If that was what it took to make someone a bad person, then we all would be.

Yay!! Victoria is gonna die!! And Helen will be caught soon, right?
:ilove: :sign4: :sign3: :sign2:

Not An Addict
9th March 2003, 21:45
You know, I'm very anti-capital punishment in real life, but the more I think about this story, the more I feel like screaming "OFF WITH HER HEAD!!" Heh. Lex is just completely adorable in this story. Man, that kid is going to be doted on like none other. :D Yay for Chlexy goodness and happy endings! (Whenever they may come. :) )

petriebird18
9th March 2003, 23:24
HAHAHAHAHA! Victoria's gonna die!!! Now how will they catch Helen...hmmmmm? Ohhhh this is soooo good, i can't wait to read how Victoria acts tomorrow, at her beheadding. Ohhh i just love that, Chloe and Lex- Happy, Clark and Lana- almost happy(they still gotta realize they love eachother) Victoria, Justin, and hopefully Helen soon-DEAD!!!! i love it!
~Deidre~

malugargula
10th March 2003, 06:29
Oh Fi...
This fic is so great... I wish it could never have to end
;)
:sign3:

darlc
10th March 2003, 08:52
im quite ambivalent about them catching victoria & helen.. cause that means this story gonna end soon........i dont want it to end. I Love this story...but then i wanna see them die a slow & painful death for what they put lex & chloe thru :ilove:

gravelgerdie
10th March 2003, 10:22
Mawhahahahahahaha.. Victoria is going to lose her head...snicker....

Loved it Fi.. so good

Suzanne

ruafair
10th March 2003, 16:07
Ok here is chapter 51, this is dedicated to all the Victoria haters especially Not an Addict and scfichick who have been presidents of the 'Hate Victoria' club since I started this fic............Fiona

------------------------------------------------------------------

Chapter Fifty One – Heads Roll

Helen Bryce stretched; trying to undo some of the knots her muscles were in, due to the uncomfortable way she had slept. When she saw the guards dragging Sean off she knew something was up. Grabbing what she had needed she slit the guard’s throat before he knew what was happening.

She had moved through the palace grounds as the guards searched for her. She moved into places they had already checked and stayed there for a while until they returned to check again. When they brought Clark back to the palace, alive, she knew that everything had failed. Even Victoria and her servant had been arrested. And now the entire palace guard where looking for her. Deep down Helen knew she should be doing her best to get out of Metropolis, but she couldn’t leave yet. She would make sure Lex and Chloe were dead before she moved on.

‘I should have never taken this assignment,’ she thought. But to kill a crown prince and princess, the pull was too great to resist. The poison idea was now no good; it would have to be the more direct approach. Either a sword to the heart or the slitting of their throats would be the way. She took as deep breath and stretched her arms and legs, whimpering softly as her muscles protested.

Suddenly she heard a noise. She had spent the night in the small house the king and queen had given the princess for her birthday. Moving silently she made her way over to the window. She heard the muffled voices of two people speaking. Very carefully Helen opened the window a little to hear better what they were discussing.

“And it’s going to happen today,” said one servant.

“Yes,” replied the other. “Apparently at 12.00.”

‘What’s going to happen?’ thought Helen.

“Does the husband know?” asked the first servant.

“I think the king went to see him earlier. Poor man.”

“Well if you ask me *Lady* Victoria Hardwick deserves to be executed for what she did and what she was plotting to do.”

“At 12.00 you’ll get to see it happen. She’s being executed then.”

Helen stumbled back from the window. ‘She’s being executed,’ she thought. ‘They are actually going to go ahead with it.’ She began to panic. What to do? Leave or stay? Finish the job or not?

‘Victoria is going to be executed…today,’ a voice in her head screamed. ‘If you stay the very same will happen to you.’

Falling to her knees Helen tried to decide what to do, and also she needed to move somewhere else.

“You don’t look so good,” joked Pete as he looked at Clark.

The dark-haired man managed a weak smile back at his friend. “I don’t feel too good either,” he said. “I have a headache that doesn’t seem to want to go away and my leg is killing me.”

“Ah yes, but you also have the lovely Miss Lang fussing over you,” said Pete with a grin.

“The one and only good point,” replied Clark with a smile as he thought about the brunette girl.

“But seriously my friend, that was one *very* close call.”

“I know Pete, believe me for a moment I did think it was all over for me.”

“Can’t keep a good man down,” grinned Pete as he squeezed his friend’s shoulder.

Chloe stood staring out the window. She was thinking over Pete’s story of how Lady Bryce’s husband had been killed. Unconsciously Chloe moved her hand to her throat. Lady Hardwick was being executed soon, but Helen had still not been found.

“I want this to be over,” she whispered to herself.

“It will be,” said Lex, coming up behind her. He wrapped his arms around her waist and she leaned back against him.

“I can’t help but think Lex, that everything that has happened has been…my fault.”

“Your fault,” exclaimed Lex, turning her in his arms so that she faced him. “How on earth is this your fault?”

“If you and I had never of gotten married, none of this would have happened. Victoria and Whitney would have never joined up to kidnap me. Victoria would have never hire Helen Bryce. Don’t you see Lex it’s my fault?" Tears filled Chloe’s eyes and began to run down her cheeks.

“Sweetheart, please tell this is not what you really think? If you want to place the blame on someone, blame me. I was the one who got involved with Victoria in the first place,” he said, gently brushing the tears from her face.

“But if you and I hadn’t of…” she began.

“If you and I hadn’t of met Chloe, my life would be incomplete. I love you; I love you more than anything. I could never imagine my life without you. Meeting and marrying you has been the best thing that ever happened to me. And despite everything that has gone on, I wouldn’t change a single thing. It’s not your fault; it’s not my fault. It’s all the fault of one deranged Victoria Hardwick, who at 12.00 today will finally get what she deserves.”

Chloe wrapped her arms around Lex and buried her head in his chest and cried. He rubbed his hand up and down her back, murmuring words of comfort as he did. She needed to do this; she needed to let it all out.

After a few minutes the cries stopped. She lifted her head to look at him. “I’m being silly aren’t I?” she said with a weak smile.

“Well, you did marry me…” he trailed of with a smirk, echoing a conversation they had when they first got married.

“And it was the best thing that ever happened to me,” she said. “And I wouldn’t change a thing. I love you Lex.”

He kissed her forehead and held her close again. “Lex I don’t want to see the execution, I know earlier I said I did but now…”

“I understand, let’s go to the house till it’s over,” he said and felt Chloe nod in agreement against his chest.

“Poor Lord Hardwick,” said Lillian as they made their way to the courtyard. “My heart goes out to the poor man.”

“He was quite devastated,” said Lionel, “I thought he was going to have a heart attack. He left Metropolis almost immediately to stay with his daughter form his first marriage. Personally I don’t think he’ll return.”

“Lex and Chloe aren’t going to be present. Lex said Chloe didn’t feel up to it. They’ve gone to the summer house until later.”

“I think that is for the best,” said Lionel. They entered the courtyard and took their places. The executioner stood ready and Victoria’s servant was led out first.

‘This is just to scare me,’ thought Victoria as the guards came for her. ‘They won’t really go ahead with it. They just want me to tell them where Helen is.’ Four guards surrounded her as they walked into the courtyard.

She glanced up and saw the executioner, his axe by his side. Looking around she saw the king and queen, but there was no sign of Lex. She began to panic and found her legs wouldn’t move. A guard behind her pushed her and on shaky legs she began to walk again. She was led up the steps and placed in front of the block.

The king stood up. “Victoria Hardwick, you have been charged and found guilty of treason against the crown, punishable by beheading. Have you anything to say?”

“I don’t know where Helen Bryce is,” she shouted, her voice a strange combination of anger and fear. “You can stop this charade.” The king nodded at the guards and he sat back down again, taking Lillian’s hand in his.

Victoria felt hands on her shoulders pushing her to her knees. She glanced down in to the basket on the other side of the block and began screaming when she saw Justin’s head. She tried to get up but the hands kept her down.

“I hate this part of being king,” murmured Lionel as he watched Victoria’s head being placed on the block. “Even when they do deserve it.”

“This is not happening,” she screamed, “he was mine, she took him away from me” she tried to struggle.

Lionel raised his head, held it for a moment and then dropped it. The executioner raised his axe and brought it down quickly. Victoria Hardwick’s head was severed from her body, as she was in mid-scream. Lillian lifted her head from Lionel’s shoulder and opened her eyes.

“One down” she said softly. “One to go.” Lionel squeezed her hand gently.

Chloe snuggled closer to Lex on the large couch. They had spent the last few hours talking about how the nursery was to be decorated and who would be the godparents. She knew the execution had taken place and that Victoria was now dead. But she refused to dwell too much on it. She was here, in Lex’s arms and that was al that mattered.

“Chloe stop wriggling or this couch may get a second christening,” he said with a smirk.

“Is that a *threat* your highness,” she replied with a smirk of her own. She moved slightly so that she was on top of him. Lex moved his hands to her waist and pressed her down onto his groin, causing both to groan. “No, it’s a *promise* your highness.”

With a laugh she kissed him. But soon mouths opened and tongues tangled. Soft moans filled the room as they kissed.

“Well isn’t this cosy,” a voice sounded.

Lex and Chloe sprang apart to see Helen Bryce standing in the doorway, a sword in one hand and a dagger in the other.

“Time to finish the job,” she said, “It’s time to finish it.”

scifichick774
10th March 2003, 16:46
Ooh, damn you Fiona! You give me a wonderful excution scene by finally getting rid of Victoria - many thanks for that by the way - and then you end the chapter with Horrible Helen Bryce trying to kill off my ship. UGH!!!

I implore you (oh no - you've got me talking like the characters in your fic - that can't be good) - please, please update again soon.

Pretty please?

Catheryne
10th March 2003, 18:35
OUCH! That had to have hurt. Actually winced at that scene. Am I gutless or what... *sigh*

But hee.. Chlex smut interrupted by Helen?

I actually like Victoria and hate Helen, so you know where I wld vote for this to go... lol

Not An Addict
10th March 2003, 21:29
DEATH BY DRAGON! *dragon swoops down and eats Helen*

Wishful thinking? Yeah, I figured.

Even so . . . VICTORIA'S DEAD! Dead dead dead dead dead. *dances* Ok . . . wow . . . I'm not really bloodthirsty in real life. Honest. But--hee! Unfortunately, we still have this snippy little WENCH trying to kill off our favorite couple. This just won't do. And she interrupted a smut scene, too! For this her death must be slow and painful. Thank you for the execution!! :D

petriebird18
10th March 2003, 22:20
Ok, where are the guards that are sopposed to protect Lex and Chloe??? ohhhh, please don't leave us hanging like this, i need more!!! :D Helen must die :devil:
~Deidre~

Queen Of Tact
11th March 2003, 00:35
Fiona, my god girl do you know what your doing to us by stopping like that!!!

<doing the happy dance> dingdong the B is dead <lol. stops dancing when she gets strange looks>

Fi I think you should add a dragon in to the story to kill Hellen just for Not An Addict and Sci......

Please post again soon...

CC

Tandy
11th March 2003, 01:29
Yes&#33; Victoria is dead&#33;&#33;&#33; And the execution scene was great&#33; No that evil Helen has to pay... Will her death be as colorful as victoria&#39;s? I hope it will :devil:

cnl2003
11th March 2003, 03:16
Is there anywhere I can find the earlier chapters? I really love this fic, but I really hate coming in half-way through...OH, and I&#39;d like to take a moment to say how wonderful you Chlex fan fic writers are, I&#39;m totally addicted to Chlex fic and I&#39;ve NEVER seen the show&#33; I&#39;m a huge DOOL Chloe/Brady fan, and I ran across a Chlex fic by accident...and I&#39;ve been hooked ever since&#33; Thanks to all you authors for writing such wonderful stories....and speaking of wonderful stories..about those back chapters?

dsapiro
11th March 2003, 06:42
Wow, that was an amazing chapter. Victoria is dead, yay&#33;&#33;&#33; :D Now, for Helen...
:sign3: :sign2:

ruafair
11th March 2003, 11:16
You will all be happy to know there is only 2 chapters and an epilogue to go after this one.......Fiona

PS: Thank for the review.
---------------------------------------------------------------------

Chapter Fifty Two – Resolutions

It took them a moment to get over the shock of seeing her standing there. But when they did Lex eased Chloe off of him and they sat side by side on the couch. “Don’t move too far,” said Helen as she got closer. “And don’t bother calling for the guards, they are currently…incapacitated.”

Chloe grabbed Lex’s hand and squeezed it hard.

“Nothing to say for yourselves, I find that hard to believe coming from the two of you,” said Helen with a sneer. “You always seem to have something to say about everything.”

“We are not going to beg and plead if that’s what you want,” said Lex.

“Ah, I love it when victims beg. My husband pleaded with me to spare him, in fact he was still pleading with me as I slit his throat.”

Out of the corner of his eye Lex saw his own sword on the table at the other side of the room. But at the moment Helen stood in the way of him getting to it. He had no doubt that he could overpower the woman but he didn’t want to risk anything happening to Chloe. Helen had the distance advantage at the moment and any sudden rush by him could result in Chloe being hurt.

“Why are you doing this?” asked Chloe.

“I was hired to do a job,” replied Helen. “Things may have completely gone askew but never let it be said that Helen Bryce doesn’t finish what she was hired to do.”

“You’ll never get a way with it, you’ll be executed like Victoria was,” snapped Lex.

“Maybe,” she replied. “But the two of you will still be dead.”

“Ok why are you really doing this?” said Chloe. “You’ve given us the *official* line about doing your job, but what’s the real reason. Bad childhood? Didn’t get the breaks in life? Jealous of anyone who has made good?” Chloe knew she was goading the other woman and that it probably wasn’t her best idea, but she was sure that Lex had something planned. She had seen his sword on the table as well and knew he couldn’t make a move yet; she needed to draw Helen away from his path to the table.

“I’d be *very* careful of how you speak to me *highness*,” said Helen, her voice laced with anger. “Things might get nasty if you continue.”

“*Might* get nasty,” snapped Chloe. “What conversation are you currently having? Hey you are going to kill us anyway, I really don’t think *my* tone of voice is going to make any difference.”

Lex just about managed to keep the smile off his face at Chloe’s response. Even in this dire situation she couldn’t help but be sarcastic. And judging by the expression on Helen’s face she was quite surprised with Chloe’s attitude.

“No but your tone of voice might dictate who is going to die first,” retorted Helen when she got her composure back.

“You like throwing threats and words around, don’t you *Lady* Bryce? So come on make your grand speech.”

Helen moved a little further away from the table, her attention now mainly focussed on Chloe. “You know nothing of my life, you were born a princess you’ve never had to worry about anything.”

“Oh of course not,” retorted Chloe. “My mother dying when I was five, my father working hard to keep the kingdom of Smallville running and his subjects happy they were all a walk in the park. I may have been born into privilege but I have never *once* taken it for granted. And you are a bigger fool than I thought if you’re blaming your circumstances on why you became what you are now.”

“I worked as a maid for years, tidying up after people like you.”

Chloe rolled her eyes, “poor you. My lady-in-waiting Lana started as a maid. Her parents died when she was 4 and she worked as a maid for years as well. Did she resent her life and turn in to a killer? No, she went on with her job and as a result was made a lady-in-waiting. You make the best of your circumstances you don’t use them as an excuse for the way your life has turned out.”

“How will it feel princess watching your husband die? Or maybe you die first, slowly and he can watch as you and your *child* die.” Helen was really angry now and tightened her grip on her sword. She held it out in front of her and moved closer to Chloe.

Lex squeezed Chloe’s hand once and then released it. Chloe took a deep breath and Lex moved quickly but not quick enough. Helen was caught off guard momentarily. She saw Lex move past her as if in slow motion. She threw her dagger and it landed in Lex’s left shoulder causing him to fall to the ground.

“LEX,” screamed Chloe, getting up from the coach.

“Don’t. Move,” said Helen, holding the sword at Chloe’s neck.

Lex lay on the floor moaning in pain. Chloe could see the blood seep out and spread over his shirt. He managed to reach behind him and pull the dagger out; it fell on the ground. Chloe watched wide-eyed as the blood began flow faster.

“So I guess he gets to watch you die first,” said Helen. She pressed on the sword and it nicked Chloe’s neck. She gave a cry of pain and felt blood trickle down her neck. “Stand up,” shouted Helen.

Chloe stood up and Helen began backing her towards the window. While this was happening Lex managed to turn around and see what was going on. He blinked a few times to clear his vision that was blurred form the pain. “Chloe,” he whispered as he tried to move.

Chloe stopped when she felt the windowsill behind her. She shivered slightly at the evil grin that suddenly appeared on Helen’s face. Before she knew what was happening the woman had dropped the sword and wrapped her hands around Chloe’s neck.

She gasped and coughed as Helen squeezed tighter. She tried frantically to pull the woman’s hands from her neck. Black spots appeared before Chloe’s eyes and she felt light-headed as breathing became harder and harder. She lashed out with her legs, catching Helen’s knee.

Helen gave a small cry and her grip on Chloe’s neck loosened slightly. With strength she didn’t know she had Chloe managed to pull the hands from her neck. She coughed as she tried to fill her lungs with oxygen.

“Bitch,” hissed Helen and lunged at Chloe again. Chloe managed to move out of the way and Helen headed for the window. Lex placed his hands on her back and pushed hard, crying out as pain exploded in his shoulder.

With a scream Helen went headfirst out the window, smashing through the glass. Lex feel forward as well with the force but Chloe managed to grab him before he followed Helen out of the window. She hit the ground with a thud, breaking her neck instantly.

“Oh God,” exclaimed Chloe as she held onto Lex. “Are you ok?” he gasped.

“I’m fine. Oh Lex your shoulder.”

“LEX. CHLOE,” Pete’s voice rang out.

They looked out the window to see Pete standing over Helen’s body. “Pete,” cried Chloe, “get the physician, Lex is hurt.”

With a nod Pete barked the order at a guard and he ran off to fetch Toby.

Lex slumped to the floor again and Chloe followed him. She held him close the blood from his shoulder staining her dress. She felt the baby move and placed her hand on her stomach. “It’s ok, everything is ok,” she said softly, rubbing her stomach. She knew it was silly, the baby couldn’t hear her but something inside of her wanted to reassure their baby that it’s parents were fine.

The door burst open and Pete entered the room. He gasped at the blood covering Chloe’s dress and Lex’s shirt.

“It’s Lex’s,” she said. “He was stabbed in the shoulder.” She looked down to see Lex had fallen into unconsciousness. “Is…is she dead?”

Pete nodded and moved over to her, flanked by two guards. “Toby is on his way,” he said. And they moved Lex from the floor and Chloe’s lap to the coach. Pete held out his hand and helped Chloe up.

“Are you ok?” he asked. Chloe nodded and headed over to Lex.

Toby rushed in and headed straight for her. “I’m fine,” she said, “its Lex who is hurt.”

Pete brought a chair over for Chloe and she sat down as Toby worked on Lex. “It’s over now highness,” said Pete, resting his hand on her shoulder.

“Over,” whispered Chloe.

drina
11th March 2003, 15:40
“It’s over now highness,” said Pete, resting his hand on her shoulder.

“Over,” whispered Chloe.

can&#39;t believe that this story almost over. :D

been a fun ride n thanx 4 sharing ur inspiration wif us. i hope to read more fics fr u :eyebrows:

Queen Of Tact
11th March 2003, 23:01
I love this story.. It can&#39;t be almost over.... it has to go on and on(lol) Yeah I&#39;m so happy that Hellen is dead<happy Dance>
Fiona this a a great story.. Please post more soon...

CC

petriebird18
11th March 2003, 23:16
Ding dong the witch is dead&#33;&#33;&#33; :biggrin: Yay&#33;&#33; I don&#39;t know whether to be happy that she&#39;s dead, or sad because it&#39;ll be ending soon.
~Deidre~

ruafair
11th March 2003, 23:54
Ok next chapter. This fic is nearly finished, (Fi, does the dance of joy.) This part is pure fluff, pure undiluted fluff (I think it was needed after the last couple of chapters....)....Fiona

-----------------------------------------------------------

Chapter Fifty Three – Good News and Good News

“Well highness, everyone seems to be well,” said Toby as he finished examining Chloe.

“Thank heavens that’s over with,” muttered Chloe.

It had been nearly five weeks since the Helen Bryce/Victoria Hardwick incident and slowly the palace and royal household were getting back to normal. Lex had recovered from his injury and Clark was almost back to himself. Also no one seemed to talk about it, everyone just wanted to forget it and get on with their lives.

Lex and Chloe had gone to Smallville to spend a couple of weeks with her father. They had both needed to get out of Metropolis for a while. They had been back almost two weeks and up till now Chloe had managed to avoid Toby. But he had finally tracked her down and subjected her to a check up.

“Would you like the good news highness?” he asked with a smile.

“What are you talking about Toby?” asked Chloe warily, “what good news?”

Toby grinned at her for a few seconds. “Why highness, the news that you are expecting twins.”

“TWINS,” gasped Chloe. Her hands rested on her now very swollen stomach. In the back of her mind she had thought the baby was overly active considering how it moved around so much. But twins.

“Are you sure?”

“Very sure highness,” he replied. “I can hear the two heartbeats. It is twins. And if everything goes according to plan you are due to give birth in six to seven weeks.”

“Oh wow,” she mumbled. “I have to tell Lex.”

Toby smiled as he watched a very excited princess leave the room. After all the recent unpleasantness they and the entire palace needed some good news. He continued to chuckle to himself as he put his things away.

As she approached the throne room Chloe saw Lana and Lillian standing outside the main door.

“What’s going on?” she asked as she made her way to them.

“Clark is asking the king’s permission to marry Lana,” said Lillian. As Lana was a member of the king’s household and the fact her father wasn’t alive it was to Lionel that Clark would ask.

“Oh Lana,” exclaimed Chloe as she hugged the other girl. “I am so, so happy for you.” Lana hugged Chloe back. “Thank you highness,” she whispered.

“Nonsense, call me Chloe now,” she replied. “You will be a duchess. And,” she added a mischievous grin on her face. “The queen will have another wedding to get involved in.”

“I don’t know what you mean,” said Lillian with a grin.

“This is great news,” smiled Chloe. “Actually I have some news myself.”

“And what is it high…Chloe,” said Lana

“I will tell all when Lex is present,” replied a smug Chloe.

Before Lana or Lillian could answer the door opened and a beaming Clark walked out. “Everything is fine,” he said, kissing Lana’s hand.

“Clark, I am so happy for you,” said Chloe, giving the dark-haired duke a hug.

Lillian smiled at the younger members of the court they so needed this. “Come on everyone,” she said. “Let’s get inside so Chloe can tell us her news.”

They all entered the throne room and Chloe headed straight for Lex. “How did everything go with Toby?” he asked.

“That’s what I want to tell everyone about,” she said.

“Is there something wrong?” asked Lex, a slight panic in his voice. Chloe grabbed his hand and they headed over to the others.

“I had a check up with the physician today,” she began. She looked around at the faces of the king and queen, Clark, Lana and Pete that were watching her with anticipation. “And it seems that I am expecting twins.”

There was silence for a moment, and then everyone began talking at one. “Twins,” whispered Lex, and Chloe just barely heard him over the noise of the others.

“Are you happy?” she asked.

“Happy doesn’t come close to describing how I feel my love. This is incredible news.” He pulled her into a hug. “Twins,” he whispered again into her ear.

“Two children running around that are a mixture of Lex and Chloe,” said Lionel with a grin. “The palace will never be the same again.”

“Is your father coming to Metropolis for the birth?” asked Pete.

“He is Pete. Toby says I’m due in six to seven weeks so I will send him a message to arrive in five weeks time. He will never forgive me if I go early and he’s not here.”

“An up and coming wedding, twins on the way,” said Lillian, “at last good news.”

“Now all we need is to find a wife for Pete and things will really be good,” said Lex with a smile.

“I don’t think so,” said Pete. “I can find a wife by myself.”

“But where is the fun in that,” laughed Clark, wrapping his arm around Lana’s waist.

“No,” said Pete. “I mean it. I don’t need any help. Anyway I don’t want to get married yet.”

“Sometimes you don’t get a chance,” said Lex, smirking at Chloe.

“Be careful Alexander,” said Chloe, “heavily pregnant woman not responsible for her actions standing close to you.”

“I know this a cause for celebration but the queen and I need to talk to Lex and Chloe for a moment,” said Lionel. The others left and when the door had closed Lionel turned to his son and daughter in law. Lillian stood next to him and took his hand in hers.

“After the birth of your *children*,” he said with a smile. “And when things have settled down, the queen and I will be stepping down to let you and Chloe become king and queen.”

“WHAT?” exclaimed Lex and Chloe as the same time.

“Since I started handing over the duties to you Lex I have never felt better. The plan was always that I would step down. You have done brilliantly since taking over, I am so proud of you. I am so proud of the two of you, after everything with Helen and Victoria you still managed to keep things running smoothly. I have no qualms about handing over the kingdom to the two of you. Anyway I want to spend lots of time with my grandchildren.”

“I’m not ready to be queen,” said Chloe. “I’m barely ready to be a mother.”

“Chloe it is all instinct,” said Lillian. “Being a mother, being a queen, you will be perfect doing both.”

Lex was speechless, he knew he should say something but he couldn’t form the words at the moment.

“I know this is a lot to take in,” said Lionel. “We’ll discuss it in more later in a few days when things have sank in. Now let’s get the others back in so we can celebrate Clark and Lana’s engagement.”

“This has been one surreal day,” said Chloe as she sat on the bed. “I think my father does things like this to keep me on my toes,” said Lex. He knelt down on the floor in front of her. Chloe spread her legs slightly and Lex moved in, resting his hands on her stomach.

“Well this will keep the two of us on our toes,” she said with a smile.

“Are we ready?” he whispered.

“Probably not Lex, but as your mother said it’s instinct. How prepared where you parents or mine when it happened to them?”

“As always my love you are right,” he replied, kissing her stomach gently.

“Can I get that in writing for the next time you don’t agree with me?” she replied with a grin.

“But Chloe, you love it when we argue.”

“I love it when we make up Lex.”

He grinned at her and slowly began to lift her nightgown up. He pushed it up almost around her waist, and began to caress her inner thighs softly. “We are going to be king and queen much sooner than we thought,” he said, “and on top of that we’ll be parents of twins.” He pushed her nightgown further and kissed her bare stomach. “A *lot* has happened in less than a year.”

“Added to me being kidnapped, and the both of us almost being killed by a crazed assassin hired by an even crazier woman,” said Chloe, “I think we’ve lived a few lifetimes in the time we’ve been married.” She lifted her arms and Lex pulled the garment off her. He stood up and disrobed himself. He let his gaze travel over his wife’s naked body and lay down beside her. They lay side by side staring in each other’s eyes.

“But I wouldn’t change a thing,” he said. “Neither would I,” she replied.

“King Lex and Queen Chloe, it has nice ring to it,” he said, nuzzling her neck. Chloe smiled and tugged at his head till their lips met. “I love you,” she whispered. “I love you too,” he replied before capturing her mouth in a passionate kiss.

scifichick774
12th March 2003, 00:00
She&#39;s dead&#33;&#33;&#33; *dances*
I&#39;m so happy you killed her off. So damned happy. Thank you&#33;

scifichick774
12th March 2003, 00:04
LOL&#33; You posted again right after I reviewed the last chapter. Loved this chapter, but I&#39;m so sad to see this fic winding down. Still, I know whatever you come up with next will be wonderful.

trenchtown
12th March 2003, 00:21
Hey Fi&#33;

I&#39;ve been following this fic since you started it but have only now submitted a review. Again another wonderful addition to your collection of stories. I like that you&#39;ve taken the characters out of their normal environment and yet, they still seem the same. Even Clark and Lana. I particularly liked seeing the parents.

I am sorry to see this fic end but look forward to your next story.

Nadia

petriebird18
12th March 2003, 00:25
TWINS&#33;&#33;&#33; ::happy dance, happy dance:: And Lionel handing over the reigns to Lex, (that&#39;s something you&#39;ll never see on the show) Ohhhh, i can&#39;t wait for the next part, i just love this fic and i&#39;ll be sooooo upset when it&#39;s over. Of course, i think Chlex fans would like another one of your brilliant fics posted as soon as you finish this one :biggrin: (yes, i am obsessed, addicted, and impatient when it comes to Chlex)
~Deidre~

:chlexsign3:

Tandy
12th March 2003, 00:29
Yes, Helen and Victoria died and Chloe and Lex are having twins&#33; Could this fic get any better? Ooh, only the epilogue left. I&#39;m kind of sad to see it end. Well, that only means that you&#39;ll write another great fic soon...right? Please&#33;

Tandy

Not An Addict
12th March 2003, 01:40
*sniff* Aww, it&#39;s almost completely over. Just an epilogue left. *sigh* Ok, twins, Clark and Lana getting married, Helen finally DEAD (^_^). Could it get any better? Answer: YES&#33; Because I think my favorite part was when Lionel told Lex he was proud of him. That was just so wonderful. Great job on this fic, Fi. It&#39;s been one hell of a ride. ^_~

dsapiro
12th March 2003, 03:36
Wow, this is a great fic, I&#39;ll be sorry to see it end, but what a way to go: Helen dead and twins&#33; Great job&#33;

Queen Of Tact
12th March 2003, 06:16
Fi, this has been a wonderful wonderful fic. I have loved reading every min of it. And now there is only one ch left :(

But I have to say that you guys have turned my mind into a chlexy smutty mind because when I read
"He knelt down on the floor in front of her. Chloe spread her legs slightly and Lex moved in," I went :goof: lol but as they say a dirty mind is a terrible thing to waist....

CC

ruafair
12th March 2003, 12:11
This is the last chapter. (sniff) There will be an Epilogue posted hopefully later on today. Again this is fluff....Fiona

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Chapter Fifty Four – Marriage and Births

A Few Weeks Later - Marriage

“Dad,” exclaimed Chloe as she threw herself at her father and hugged him tight. “Hello sweetheart,” he said and he hugged her back. After a moment he released her and smiled. “Chloe you look…blooming,” he said. Gabe hadn’t planned on coming to Metropolis for another couple of weeks but with the wedding of Clark and Lana taking place before Chloe was due to give birth and the fact that Lana has asked him to give her away all conspired to get him here quicker.

“Thank you for doing this for Lana,” said Chloe as she took his arm and the headed up the steps.

“Lana has been part of the household since she was a child, I feel very honoured that she asked me,” he replied. “Can you believe it, she’s marrying a duke?”

“And I’ve *really* enjoyed watching someone else get poked and prodded by dressmakers,” added Chloe with a grin.

“So, how are you feeling?”

“Fat,” she replied. “Very fat. I’ve forgotten what my feet look like.”

Gabe laughed out loud. “You look beautiful,” he said after a moment.

“I keep telling her that,” said Lex as he met them at the door, "but as usual she doesn’t listen to me."

“Hello Lex,” said Gabe with a smile, pulling his son-in-law into a hug. Lex hugged the older man back.

“Let’s get you settled in Gabe,” he said. Chloe took Lex’s arm and all three headed inside.

“I’m so nervous,” whispered Lana, as she finished getting dressed.

“You’ll be fine,” said Chloe. “Hey at least you got the chance to get to know Clark before marrying him.”

Lana laughed softly. “Thank you Chloe.”

“Are you ladies ready?” came Gabe’s voice form the other side of the door.

“Come in dad.”

“Lana you look beautiful,” said Gabe as he entered the room. The brunette blushed.

“I’m going to find my husband,” said Chloe. “I will see both of you at the church.” She kissed Lana’s cheek; “enjoy the day,” she whispered to her before leaving.

“What a day,” said Chloe with a yawn as she flopped back on the bed. “Well weddings usually are,” said Lex. “Clark Kent married, I never thought I’d see the day.”

“I bet he said the same about you,” came Chloe’s tired reply. “Take it easy,” she muttered, laying her hands on her stomach. “Sleep.”

Lex chuckled and placed his hands over hers. He could feel the twins moving. “Chloe,” he called softly. There was no answer; he looked up to see that she had fallen asleep. “Rest my love,” he whispered, “and you two rest as well,” he added before placing two light kisses on her stomach.

Two Weeks Later - Births

“A walk my dear,” said Lionel with a smile as he held out his hand.

Lillian smiled back and took it and the pair began to make their way around the grounds. “Where are Lex and Chloe?” she asked.

“Lex,” said Lionel with a grin, “is trying to sort out some land feud. While Chloe is supervising the nursery.”

Chloe was due to give birth any day now and Lionel marvelled how she still moved around the palace despite her size. Gabe was out hunting with Pete, and the newlyweds Clark and Lana where assisting Chloe.

“Any day now we’ll be grandparents,” gushed Lillian. “I can’t wait.”

Lionel smiled at his wife as Chloe got closer and closer to her time Lillian got more and more excited. He had to admit that he was looking forward to it as well. And now with the reins being handed over to his son, he would have much more time to spend with his grandchildren.

“Aren’t you glad I pushed for Chloe Sullivan to be our son’s bride?” she announced, a slight smug tone to her voice.

“Lillian, this is not an occasion for taking the credit for,” he replied with a smirk.

“Of course not Lionel, and if it had of been *your* idea there is no way that you would have gloated about it.”

“Please Lillian, you are a queen, you are above this kind of nonsense. And beside you’re going to be a *grandmother* please start acting your age.”

“MY AGE&#33;” exclaimed Lillian.

Covering a laugh Lionel walked away from his wife. “Lionel Luthor, you get back here and explain what you mean by that statement.”

“I just mean it’s not dignified to carry on the way you do, at least not now,” he said, still with his back to her.

Lillian was about to explode and caught the slight movement of his shoulders as he laughed. “You are the *most* annoying man in the world,” she said as she approached him. “Not dignified,” she muttered. “I’ll show you not dignified.” She grabbed him and kissed him passionately, Lionel’s shock soon gave way and he returned the kiss with as much passion.

When they parted Lionel had a slightly stunned expression on his face. “Is that not dignified enough for you?” she asked with a smile.

He brushed her lips with his own, “don’t ever change my love,” he whispered.

“I don’t plan too,” she replied and they kissed gently.

“So are you two planning a honeymoon at all?” asked Chloe.

“We are going to take a break after you’ve given birth,” said Clark.

“Way to put no pressure on me,” muttered Chloe. “Everyone is waiting for me to give birth. How did you all plan your lives before I got pregnant?”

Both Lana and Clark laughed. “It’s not funny,” exclaimed Chloe. “For the last week every time I *moved* in the bed, Lex was ‘is everything ok? Do I need to get Toby?’ it’s really getting on my nerves.”

The other just continued to laugh. Chloe was about to speak again when a pain ripped through her. She clutched her stomach and gasped.

“Chloe, are you ok?” asked Clark, his tone now serious.

She suddenly felt wetness between her legs, “get Lex,” she gasped.

“Highness, don’t push yet,” said Toby, as he and the midwife hovered around her.

Chloe squeezed Lex’s hand tighter and gritted her teeth.

Outside the room, Lionel, Lillian and Gabe paced up and down.

“Please,” she gasped, as another contraction hit her. “Ok, now highness, push.”

With a cry Chloe pushed, beads of sweat matted her brow. “This is all your fault Lex,” she panted. Lex just smirked, “you didn’t complain at the time.”

She glared as best she could and pushed again. “That’s it highness, I can see the head, one more.”

With a loud cry she gave one final push and almost broke Lex’s hand in the process. Toby took the baby and cut the cord before handing it to the midwife. A moment later a baby’s cry filled the room. Lex watched in awe as the midwife carried the baby over to him, “your daughter highness,” she said handing her to Lex.

Lex took the tiny bundle in his arms and smiled. “She’s beautiful,” he whispered. He kissed Chloe’s forehead, “a girl sweetheart,” he said.

Chloe smiled weakly. The midwife took the baby for a moment. “Ready to go again highness?" asked Toby.

“No,” said Chloe and then gasped.

Tears welled in Lex’s eyes as Chloe puffed and panted her way through giving birth to their second child. Again with one final push Chloe’s head collapsed against the pillow. After a few moments a second cry was heard and the midwife handed the baby to Lex. “And your son highness,” she said.

She handed the baby girl to Chloe who burst into tears.

“Silly girl,” said Lex softly through his own tears and kissed Chloe gently.

Toby left the room to be confronted with three very anxious faces.

“Well,” demanded Lionel when he didn’t speak.

“A boy and girl,” he said. “And everyone is fine. The princess is quite exhausted but fine.”

Lillian started to cry; “can we see them?”

Toby smiled and stood from the door. They entered the room to see Chloe sitting up in the bed, an exhausted but very happy look on her face holding one child, while Lex sat beside her holding the other.

“Meet Katie,” said Lex. “And meet Stephen,” said Chloe.

All three moved closer to the bed. “Oh sweetie,” said Gabe, kissing Chloe on the cheek, “they are beautiful.”

Both Lionel and Lillian followed and suit. And after the two men shook hands with Lex, Lillian pulled her son into a hug.

“Thank you for picking Chloe,” whispered Lex into his mother’s ear. Lillian just hugged him tighter.

Lex stood staring into the two tiny bassinets at the foot of their bed. The two babies were sleeping soundly. He gently ran his hand over their heads. “*My* son and daughter,” he whispered, his voice filled with awe. He kissed them both gently and climbed into bed beside Chloe.

“You are amazing,” he said to her. She smiled sleepily back at him. “You’re pretty amazing yourself.”

“*We* are parents,” he said. “Good,” she replied with a smile. “I’d hate to think the last nine months were a waste of time.”

Lex smiled and pulled her gently close to him. She yawned loudly and snuggled into him. “You are exhausted my love you should sleep.”

Chloe kissed him gently. “I love you,” she murmured and laid her head on his chest.

“I love you too,” he replied. He heard her breathing change, indicating she was asleep. With a contented sigh Lex closed his eyes and thanked God for bringing Chloe into his life.

Catheryne
12th March 2003, 13:41
Oh wow. That just gave me all the Chlex I&#39;ll need for another season&#33; :)))

crazygirl
12th March 2003, 15:01
That was just what I needed, a bit of Chlex goodiness. Thanks a lot :chlexsign3:

ruafair
12th March 2003, 16:24
Well here it is the last part (I decided to post the last chapter and this fairly close together). This has a little smut scene and is once again fairly fluff filled. I want to thank everyone who has read and reviewed. Especially those that have been there from the start. I can&#39;t believe it&#39;s finially finished, and I am very happy that people liked it............Fiona

Epilogue

“Stephen, stop pulling your sister’s hair,” said Lex.

“But she pinched me first,” complained the six year old.

Lex glanced from his son’s forlorn face into the mischievous one of his daughter. Katie was so like Chloe it was scary. “Katie,” he began.

“I’m sorry daddy,” she said, looking up at him through her lashes. Lex rolled his eyes, “it’s quite simple,” he said. “You don’t pinch Stephen and he doesn’t pull your hair. Ok?”

“Ok,” they both said. Lex was about to speak again when the door opened.

“Grandpa,” exclaimed the pair as Lionel came unto the room.

Lionel smiled and held his arms out for them. Lillian came in behind her husband holding the hand of three-year-old Lucas who was chattering away to her about the horses. This was his latest obsession, horses; last week it was Lex’s throne. They nearly had to get him one of his own he wouldn’t leave it, but now it was horses.

Lex smiled to himself, as he watched his children. Six months after the twins had been born Lionel stepped down as king. Within a few weeks of that announcement Lex was crowned king and Chloe queen. It had been tough at the start, especially for Chloe, but things had settled down.

Lionel was a new man after handing the kingdom over to Lex; he suffered no more attacks. And he and Lillian spent most of their days with the twins. On Katie and Stephen’s third birthday Chloe announced she was pregnant again and told Lex she’d leave him if it were twins again. And she was actually half-serious about it. On the same day Clark and Lana announced they were expecting their first child.

Nine months later Lana had a girl and they called her Marie, in memory of Chloe’s mother. And Chloe gave birth to Lucas. While the twins looks wise and particularly temperament wise where very much like Chloe, little Lucas was all Lex. He had Lex’s blue-grey eyes and at times had this pensive look on his face that made him look very serious for a three-year-old.

A pair of arms snaking around his waist startled Lex from his memories. He turned around and kissed Chloe gently.

“What were you thinking about?” she asked.

“You, me, the kids,” he said with a smile.

“And what about us?”

“How lucky am I to have you all.”

Chloe wrapped her arms tighter around his waist and laid her head against his chest. “We are lucky to have you,” she whispered.

Lex held her close as he watched his parents with their grandchildren. Lucas spotted them and toddled over to his parents. He held his arms out to Lex and he released Chloe and picked him up.

“Daddy, why me the baby?” he asked.

Chloe smirked at his question. “It’s because you are the smallest,” replied Lex. Lucas thought about this for a moment. “But Katie said…”

“What did Katie say?” asked Chloe.

“I said he’ll always be the baby,” came Katie’s matter-of-fact reply as she crossed the room.

“I don’t like being the baby,” said Lucas.

“Well mommy and daddy could have another baby, and then you wouldn’t be,” said Lillian with a grin. She couldn’t get enough of her grandchildren and wanted lots more of them.

“Mother,” warned Lex.

“Yes, a baby,” said Lucas, bouncing in Lex’s arms. “Have a baby.”

“Yes mommy,” piped up Katie, “a new baby.”

“Thank you Lillian,” said Chloe through slightly gritted teeth.

“Oh I don’t know Chloe, “ said Lex with a smirk, “another baby sounds like a *really* good idea.”

“I’d be very careful about whose side you take in this Lex,” she whispered to him, “or you might find yourself sleeping alone.”

“If you don’t want another baby mommy, then you don’t have too,” said Stephen, taking Chloe’s hand. Chloe smiled down at her son, Stephen always sided with her, no matter what the discussion was. Whatever Chloe said, Stephen always agreed with her. “Thank you sweetheart,” she said, kissing his cheek.

“But mommy,” said Lucas, his bottom lip trembling as if he was going to cry.

“You know Lex, *your* daughter is quite a troublemaker,” grinned Chloe.

“Takes after *her* mother,” he retorted.

“Lucas sweetie, we’ll have another baby, but not just yet,” replied Chloe, taking her youngest child into her arms. “Anyway I like that you are my baby, it makes you special.”

“Really,” he sniffled.

“Really,” she replied, kissing his nose.

Lucas buried his head in his mother’s shoulder. “Love you,” he said softly. “Love you too sweetie,” she replied.

“Like how you avoided that crises Chloe,” said Lionel with a smile.

“Being queen of Metropolis is a lot easier than handling this lot,” she replied. All the adults laughed, and although not understanding what was so funny, Kate and Stephen laughed as well.

A maid entered the room, “apologies Majesties, but the advisors are waiting for you.”

“Thank you,” said Lex, “we’ll be along soon.” The maid curtsied and left the room.

Lionel took Lucas from Chloe’s arms, and Lillian took Stephen and Katie’s hands. “Let’s go for a walk,” she said.

“To the horses,” piped up Lucas. “Yes the horses,” said Lionel.

“Let’s get this over with,” said Lex, taking Chloe’s hand.

“Clark and Lana are coming over tomorrow, they are bringing Marie,” said Chloe as she slipped into bed.

Lex pulled her close and buried his face in the crook of her neck. “That’s nice,” he muttered. “I was thinking that maybe we’d get a start on the next baby.” He slipped his hand between her thighs.

“I said not just yet,” she replied, although she parted her legs for him.

“Well a little practise wouldn’t hurt,” he said, moving his lips to hers as he fingers stroked her gently, feeling her getting wetter.

Chloe moaned into his mouth as she pressed against his fingers. She drew his tongue into her mouth and sucked on it gently. Lex manoeuvred himself on top of her without breaking the kiss and slowly replaced his fingers with his cock. “Lex,” she groaned as he slid fully into her.

Seven years of marriage, three children and she still felt as good as she did the first time that they made love. He began a slow teasing rhythm. He stared into Chloe eyes as they made love. “Please Lex,” she panted, “faster my love.”

Lex hooked her legs higher around his waist and sped up his thrusts. He hands kneaded and caressed her breasts and she ran her nails up and down his back and over his head. She grabbed his head and kissed him hungrily, their tongues sliding against each other’s.

Their movements became more and more erratic as they reached their climax. With a cry of her name Lex came, quickly followed by Chloe. “Oh my love,” he groaned, and moved to get his weight off her. “Stay,” she panted, tightening her arms and legs around him.

A cool breeze blew into the room, cooling their heated bodies. After a few minutes Lex kissed her gently and eased off her. Chloe lay her head on his chest, “I so love *practising* with you,” she said with a laugh.

Lex ran his hand though her hair and laughed softly. “Although I think you and I are experts now,” he replied.

“I think three children is a testament to that,” she said sleepily. Lex chuckled and held her close. They chatted for a while before falling asleep.

A FEW MONTHS LATER

“Tell me again why we agreed to this,” said Lex, above the noise of 250 screaming children.
“Because you are a great king and your people love you,” replied Chloe. This was something Lex and Chloe had started when the twins were born. Every year they threw a huge party on in the palace for all the children under the age of twelve. Every child was invited, if didn’t matter if they were members of royalty or society or the sons and daughters of the people who worked in the palace, all children were invited.

“Mommy, daddy,” came Katie’s voice. They watched her approach dragging a boy of about her age along by the hand. Chloe recognised him as the grandson of Kyle the stable master.

“What is it honey?” said Lex.

“Daddy, Mark says that because I am a princess and he’s not a prince we can’t get married,” she stated, “tell him it doesn’t matter because you are king and can make it ok.”

Chloe covered her mouth with her hand to hide her smile. Katie had her ‘serious’ face on and Chloe knew she’d be upset if she laughed.

“And do you want to marry my daughter?” said Lex to the other six year old.

The young boy paled, “well, I…maybe…no…yes,” he stammered.

“Daddy,” said Katie, “say it doesn’t matter.”

“It doesn’t matter Katie,” said Lex, trying not to laugh.

“See, I told you so,” she said smugly to Mark. “Katie sweetie, can you get your brothers and grandparents and bring them over to me and your daddy?” asked Chloe.

“Sure mommy,” she said, waltzing off, still dragging Mark.

When she was out of earshot both Lex and Chloe started laughing. “Oh I pity the man she marries,” said Lex.

“Can you believe how things have work out?” said Chloe. “I mean I went on hunger strike for a few days when my dad told me my marriage was arranged.”

“And slapped my face for kissing you,” he said, he loved bringing that up.

“Do you ever think how your life would have turned out if our parents hadn’t arranged our marriage?”

“I shudder to think what my life would be like without you in it,” he replied.

“Good,” she replied, “but I feel the same.”

He took her in his arms and kissed her gently. “Mommy and daddy kissing,” sang Lucas. “I want kisses from mommy.” Chloe left Lex’s arms and picked Lucas up raining kisses all over his face. He giggled loudly.

“You wanted to see us Chloe,” said Gabe.

“I have something to say,” she began, “and it will make you very happy,” she said to Lucas.

“Well mommy what is it?” asked Stephen.

“I’m going to have another baby,” she said. “Not the baby, not the baby anymore,” sang Lucas bouncing in her arms. “Oh sweetheart,” said Lex, leaning over and kissing her. “More kisses,” said Lucas. Lex released Chloe’s mouth and kissed Lucas’ cheek.

“Oh mommy,” said Stephen, hugging and kissing her, quickly followed by Katie.

“Congratulations,” said a beaming Lillian, embracing both of them. Lionel and Gabe followed suit. “More grandchildren,” said a very happy Gabe.

“We’ll need to get the picture added too,” said Lex. Chloe followed his gaze to the large portrait on the far wall. It was of the two of them, the twins and Lucas.

“Love you,” she said.

“Love you too,” he replied.

The End

apple_eye
12th March 2003, 16:41
hey&#33; OMG&#33; i can&#39;t believe that you finished it&#33; i never thought it would be done&#33; can&#39;t wait for more of your stories

trenchtown
12th March 2003, 17:02
Fi,

I think I&#39;m going to be comatose that was so sweet. :drool:
But it was a lovely way to end with the slice of life. I think you have missed your calling. :blinkkiss:
Maybe you should quit your day job.

I don&#39;t quite know what to do with myself now that it&#39;s over, but I will find a way.

Waiting for your next fic.

Nadia

Catheryne
12th March 2003, 18:03
Such a sweet, amazing, fluffy, heartwarming... I don&#39;t have enough words to say how much I enjoyed reaDING this&#33;

crazygirl
12th March 2003, 18:09
Hi, I really liked your ending, with Chloe having twins and Clark and Lana getting married. But could you also tell me where I can find the first chapters, because everytime you refer to something that happened before chapter fourty-something, I&#39;m at a loss. Help&#33;

By the way, I can hardly wait for your next fic, please post it soon.

Queen Of Tact
12th March 2003, 20:15
Wow is all I can say.. I have been reading this fic from day one and it&#39;s only got better with each new ch. Fi you are a truly talented and wonderful writer. I look forward to your next stories...

CC :chlexsign2:

scifichick774
12th March 2003, 20:25
Mush&#33; That was sweet and mushy and... *sigh* I can&#39;t believe this fic is actually over now. I think I might cry. Please come up with something new soon. :)

petriebird18
12th March 2003, 21:39
(gasp) That was sooooo beautiful&#33;&#33;&#33; :biggrin: What a wonderful ending to a fabulous fic&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;
~Deidre~

roslyn
12th March 2003, 21:53
I can&#39;t believe you finished this fic...i&#39;ve been following it since you first started, and i still can&#39;t get over it. i loved the ending, it was perfect. i look foward to reading many more of your fics...

~Roslyn

p.s. you should think of getting the producers of smallville fired and taking over. i think you&#39;d do a better joob then them anyday of the week.

dsapiro
13th March 2003, 01:00
Wow, the ending was just as great as the rest of it, except that now it is over. I hope to see you start a new story soon. :chlexsign1:

Not An Addict
13th March 2003, 01:53
Aww&#33; Sugar shock, but in such a good way. ^_^ *contented sigh* I can&#39;t believe it&#39;s really over. Wow. Fifty-some chapters. And it seems like only yeterday that I first asked for Victoria to die a slow, dragony death. Well, now that this one is finished . . . you have more time to work on a new one. ^_~

drina
13th March 2003, 04:59
i think i&#39;m suffering from sugar overload :drool: lol.

this is a great piece of work, fiona. don&#39;t know how u managed to write a 50plus chapters story in a relatively short time. you absolutely rock and this story rocks too&#33;

malugargula
13th March 2003, 07:37
Hey Fi...
What a wonderful end to a wonderful fic...
:)
It&#39;s just perfect.
I loved this story and I can&#39;t help being sad that it&#39;s over... I hope you write new fics soon.
:chlexsign1:
Malu

gravelgerdie
13th March 2003, 10:11
Fi
loved it... this was a great story.. can&#39;t wait to see what you come up with next

Suzanne

Gemini
13th March 2003, 22:32
Aw&#33; Fi, you really know what perfect endings are all about;) This has to be my most favorite fic of yours&#33;

staysixkid
1st June 2003, 04:02
This quesiton has prolly been asked already, and answered too, however, I&#39;ll ask it (again? truly hope it&#39;s not. but if it is. Sorry :blush: ). Where can I find the chapters before so I can understand where I am.

fee :huh:

hfce
1st June 2003, 19:35
Originally posted by staysixkid@Jun 1 2003, 03:02 AM
This quesiton has prolly been asked already, and answered too, however, I&#39;ll ask it (again? truly hope it&#39;s not. but if it is. Sorry :blush: ). Where can I find the chapters before so I can understand where I am.

fee :huh:
You can find it here:

http://planeta.terra.com.br/lazer/malufanf...uctantqueen.htm (http://planeta.terra.com.br/lazer/malufanfics/thereluctantqueen.htm)

Hope :)

summer_enchanted
13th April 2005, 21:05
Loved this fic. Read it a few times. :love2::love2::love2:

welshy
2nd July 2005, 21:24
I was wondering where could I could the start of the story, please :)

Marcjana
4th July 2005, 09:11
I would be eternally greatfull if somebody could show me where's first part of this story. I tried the link from Hfce but it's not working. Please!

darkangel
16th July 2005, 02:11
I love this fic.

buddyfozzy
16th July 2005, 16:26
I would be eternally greatfull if somebody could show me where's first part of this story. I tried the link from Hfce but it's not working. Please!

Yeah, what she said. Is there anywhere else to find this story, other than the link given? :P

ruafair
16th July 2005, 16:31
Hey all... I've had a few messages from people looking for the beginning of this story, you can find it in it's entirety here:

http://www.mystifyingdreams.com/Smallville/Fiona/SmallvilleStoryList.htm (Story)

teb85
12th January 2006, 17:52
I read this fic on your site and i loved it ! It has everything and is definatly one of my favourites !!

bluelila
6th February 2006, 20:39
It has been a long time since I have read this fic. I must say that it is my favorite. I would really like to read it again but the link doesn't work for me.

Imcristiel
6th February 2006, 23:53
I was wondering why this story starts at chapter 39? None of the links work for me either...

chloedreamer
7th February 2006, 05:18
I've read this story I a few times as well and I have to say it's great.

chloedreamer
21st April 2006, 01:38
Where can I find the first 30 some chapters to this fic at?
I know it was on some other websites but their both down now.

SianUrsula
27th June 2006, 22:39
Yeah where can we find the first bits??? Really really really want to read!!!

Julie
16th July 2006, 17:11
The first chapters will be posted soon ;) I'll add in a link to it in the first post later when I've posted the chapters.

Tanschana
13th May 2008, 23:53
Different from the stories I usually like to read, but I really like it. Thank you for the enjoyable read!

starmoon
22nd May 2008, 01:24
i love this story more and more everytime i read it!!!

blackheart_me
14th August 2008, 18:19
LOVED THIS STORY!! The plot was great! I love how you got into it, Helen and Victoria...oh evil evil women!!:D I actually also enjoyed your Lana and the Clana here, and Pete as their friend was great! Love your writing and this story ;)

musicangel585
5th April 2011, 08:01
This is definitely one of my favorite fics that you've written. I love the time period and how all the characters fit in. I definitely like the role that all Lex's evil exes play.

jaab
6th April 2011, 14:01
Loved this story, can read it over and over again.

Shane77
5th March 2013, 00:32
Hi!^^ Does anyone has the beginning of this fic? the link is not working anypore^^' Thanks in advance!

lexie
5th March 2013, 16:32
Hi!^^ Does anyone has the beginning of this fic? the link is not working anypore^^' Thanks in advance!

I sent the complete fic to Julie a few weeks ago. I imagine you'll have to have a little patience. I'm sure she'll repost all the complete stories I've sent her when she has the time.

Sarah77
11th August 2013, 06:37
I'm glad they got their happy ending.

kiri88
5th April 2014, 23:49
I sent the complete fic to Julie a few weeks ago. I imagine you'll have to have a little patience. I'm sure she'll repost all the complete stories I've sent her when she has the time.
could you please send me the beginning of this story? I really really want to read.
I am curious about how this fic started.
This fic is awesome

lexie
6th April 2014, 08:37
could you please send me the beginning of this story? I really really want to read.
I am curious about how this fic started.
This fic is awesome

Check out your inbox. ;)

Heaveninabasket1
31st March 2016, 03:25
hey could you please tell me where the first half of reluctant queen is please.

lexie
31st March 2016, 23:15
hey could you please tell me where the first half of reluctant queen is please.

If you go back to the first post and click on the word HERE in bold, you'll be redirected to a PDF version I've just uploaded.

Enjoy!

Ami Rose
23rd February 2018, 11:18
Love love loved this one! Amazing plot and great ending! Thank you for a great read!