PDA

View Full Version : [Completed] Are We There Yet? (PG-13 Completed)

Gemkat5
4th October 2003, 21:43
TITLE: Are We There Yet?
AUTHOR: ~Kat~
E-MAIL: gemkat5@yahoo.com
DISCLAIMER: The 'only' thing I claim to own is the insane idea that formed this story. Everything else is borrowed.
SPOILERS: none
SUMMARY: Lex takes Chloe to an island for her to investigate the effects of a meteor shower there... and nothing goes as expected!
PAIRING: CHLEX
RATING: PG-13

Are We There Yet?

"Are we almost there yet?" Chloe asked for the tenth time in as many minutes.

"Chloe," Lex chuckled. "We'll be there when we land." His grin remained on his face at her perturbed expression.

Chloe had stumbled on an old article about meteor rocks landing on an island in the south pacific the same night Smallville was hit and wouldn't stop talking about it. She tried to no avail to find more information and the reporter who wrote the story died of a heart attack several years after printing his article. But Chloe wouldn't let it drop and was driving everyone in her life, and even those who weren't, crazy.

To appease the blonde Lex offered to take her to the island so she could investigate it first hand and hopefully let everyone go on with life in peace. Chloe had been so over-joyed at Lex's offer that she bound into his arms, jumping up and down with exuberant excitement.

Looking across the helicopter cabin at her now Lex couldn't help admire the young
woman. She was usually so mature in manner, matching wits with him at any given moment, and going out and getting what she wanted with no fear. Yet, there were moments when being seventeen just gave way and burst out of control. Like the overwhelming hug she had given him in response to his offer.

The action had been innocent in her mind, Lex was sure, but the effect of her body
pressed against his, even momentarily, and her arms around his neck was far from innocent in Lex's perspective. He had welcomed the chance to slip out of the Talon unnoticed to hide the physical effect she had on him. Oddly enough it was the girlishness in her behavior that he found most refreshing at times.

"Are we almost..." she started to ask again then saw the expression on Lex's face and let it die into nothing turning back to look out the window.

She couldn't help being so excited. This was an opportunity she never would have had without Lex. But second to her excitement was nervousness. Lex's frequent glances her way, the slight grin that would appear on his face were unnerving her to the core. She never denied that she found Lex to be attractive and that maybe, just maybe, her hugging him like she had was a bad idea. But her arms were around his neck before she realized what she was doing. More to the point, 'who', she was doing it to.

She had turned her overwhelmed excitement to Pete, hugging him instead, then Lana, and Clark, and anyone else who happened to be within arms reach of her at that moment. When she finally brought herself down to controllable she found Lex had left and felt a stab of disappointment. She wanted to go over the details of the trip with him. When would they leave, how would they get there? But she had a feeling her outburst insulted him so she had impatiently waited for him to contact her.

"Chloe!" Lex called over the noise of the chopper. He gestured out his window when she looked at him. In one swift motion she was practically on his lap leaning over him to see the island not too far off below.

"Is that it?" she asked with more excitement. Lex nodded while fighting the urge to to kiss those lips that were so close to his own.

The chopper dropped altitude flying closer to sea level as they approached land. It jolted suddenly making Chloe crash into Lex full bodily.

"You need to sit down and put the strap on!" Lex said loud enough for her to hear him. She nodded and moved back to her seat when the chopper jolted again tossing Chloe to the floor. She quickly scrambled up and got into her seat, putting the safety strap on. "Pilot, is everything ok?"

"I'm having trouble maneuvering! But I should be able to land without..." the chopper jolted again with more force than before. "Mr. Luthor!" the pilot yelled. "I think something is trying to prevent us from landing!"

"What do you mean?" shifting in his seat to first look out one window than the other.

"I mean, every time I try to bring her down..." the chopper jolted once more rocking fiercely in the air. "See?! 'That's' what I mean!"

"But there's nothing out there!" Lex replied peering out the window. "How can anyone prevent us from landing?"

"Ah, Lex?" Chloe chimed. "I think you better see this." She had her face to the glass looking as straight up as possible. Lex moved to the floor by Chloe and looked up to see something with an incredible wing span circling above the helicopter.

"That's impossible." Lex breathed.

"Not if meteor rocks were involved its not." Chloe replied with distraction.

"Pilot, try flying closer inland. See if you can land."

"Yes Mr. Luthor." The pilot replied not sounding hopeful.

The chopper barely reached the surf when it was hit again from below, jolting everyone on board.

"Something tells me that we're not dealing with an oversized chicken."

"Worse." Chloe voiced. "I think it's a bat."

"A bat? It can't be. Bats don't normally fly in the daylight."

"Does 'that' look normal to you, Lex?! I don't think we have a basis for comparison
here!"

"Sir, what do you want me to do?" the pilot called back.

"How low can you get to land before it hits us?"

"About twenty feet."

Lex looked over at Chloe, his eyes bright with an idea as he slid the door open.

"No!" Chloe yelled. "No! I am 'not' jumping out of this helicopter!"

"Think of it as a risk for a reporter!" he smirked at her. "Pilot, get us down to ten feet and get out of here as soon as we jump."

"I can't let you do that! If I fly out of here, I am taking you with me!"

"If you don't let us drop then the only thing you'll ever fly again will be a kite on a string when I get done with you!"

"Is that ridge ok?" The pilot compensated. "Maybe if I fly inland without dropping
altitude that thing won't notice the ground rising beneath us."

"Try it!" Lex ordered.

"Lex! Are you sure you want to do this? We have no idea what else might be bigger than life down there!" Chloe had some serious misgivings this all of a sudden.

"You're not the only one with a pension for curiosity, Miss Sullivan!" he grinned at her before sliding open the door again. "Give me the bags." Chloe found herself handing over the backpacks and duffle bags with supplies. Lex tossed them out as they flew over some undergrowth then turned and reached for Chloe herself. "Are you ready?" he asked with a sardonic smirk.

"You're out of your fucking mind, Luthor!" pulling her hand back.

"Sir, if you're going to jump I'd do it now!" the pilot yelled back to them hovering over a high point. "So far it hasn't followed us inland!"

"You 'know' you'll regret not doing this if we turn back now, Chloe!" Lex shouted at her above the noise of propellers and rushing air. "There are unanswered questions down there waiting for you to find them!"

"That is 'so' unfair!" she yelled back, but she knew he was right and put her hand in his stepping closer to the open door next to him.

"Come back for us in three days!" Lex said to the pilot grabbing Chloe around the waist and before she could change her mind Lex heaved them both the several feet to the ground.

End 1/10

A/N: O-Kay... does anyone want more or should I scrap it? Please let me know!
~Kat~

tigerbaby
4th October 2003, 21:48
Jurassic Chloe and Lex. Love the idea and now that you've posted the first part, you definitely have to finish.

But her arms were around his neck before she realized what she was doing. More to the point, 'who', she was doing it to.

This line brought out the dirty grrl in me :devil:

airria
4th October 2003, 21:49
Haha. I just love this fic. I already read all of it at the BT2.
How about a sequel.*hint,hint*
:yay2: :yay2: :yay2: :yay2:

happy bunny
4th October 2003, 21:54
Really interesting idea. and Hell yes! You should contininue! Lex and Chloe alone on an island. :eyebrows: I think you catch my drift.

Sab_Luthor
4th October 2003, 23:08
yaeh great story
i love it
an update soon please

asharnanae
4th October 2003, 23:48
:biggrin: hehe, I can just see the possibilitys now, lex and chloe in skimpy torn clothing all hot a bothered by the steamy climate(in more ways than one!)!!!!!! oh it would be criminal not to carry this on!!! please update soon!!!

Tandy
4th October 2003, 23:55
that was so cool! Can't wait to read more! Wonderful job!

Tandy

hfce
5th October 2003, 05:37
More :clap:

Hope

Nicki
5th October 2003, 08:29
I think you should do more, and soon. It's really good :yay:

lunaluthor
5th October 2003, 18:59
Go on with it girl :yay:

Brittany
6th October 2003, 06:25
:biggrin: Great story! I can't wait to see what happens next, so update soon!!!

gina
6th October 2003, 07:45
I like it a lot, you should definitely continue! :biggrin:

Gemkat5
6th October 2003, 07:55
OK, Kiddies!!! Here is part two since you asked so nicely... :biggrin:

Please see heading/disclaimer in first chapter.

Are We There Yet?- Part 2

After the helicopter flew out of sight, Lex and Chloe brushed themselves off and began their decent into a lush green undergrowth. The area reminded them of a jungle with tall trees and thick vines. The sounds of wildlife could be heard all around them, none of which sounded familiar.

"I would 'really' like to know what part of your brain deemed this as a good idea." Chloe half complained as she fixed the straps on a backpack to slip it on her back, Lex already bearing the other one they had found in the brush. "I thought you hired a survival team to meet us here, where are they?"

"The same part as your brain that took my hand in the helicopter, curiosity," he answered, casually looking around. "As for the team I hired, I have no idea where they are. I'm wondering if they had the same problem as we did for landing but didn't have such an accommodating pilot as we did."

"Maybe they weren't stupid enough to jump like we did." He turned with a bored
expression, he was fast getting weary of her complaining. "Lex, I'm a city girl. I am 'not' used to this roughing-it stuff!" she huffed indignantly. "I was fully prepared to give up the idea of running hot water and a private bathroom, but this is ridiculous!" She slapped at a bug that landed on her. "I want bug spray, Lex! I want a tent! I want 'people'! I want..."

Lex walked to stand very close in front of her, making her step back and look up at him to meet his stare. "I want you to 'not' make me regret bringing you here." He said pointedly. "Now help me find the other supply packs."

Chloe watched him walk away letting out the breath she had been holding. For a minute, she thought he was going to kiss her the way he approached her. His blue-grey eyes were so captivating, his posture so commanding, the authoritative air radiating from him.

In Smallville, she had always pooled on the 'what's he going to do?' scenario knowing he wouldn't do anything to her in front of others. But here on this island, there was no one to stop him from doing whatever he wanted to her. Something she hadn't taken into consideration until just then. She was all alone with Lex Luthor. Watching his back as he lumbered away, she realized that she was all right with that idea.

"Are you coming?" He called back to her when he realized she wasn't right behind him.

"Yeah!" she answered quickly and scrambled to catch up to him.

He watched her closely as she hurriedly caught up to him and giving him a bright smile when she had done so. He shook his head to dismiss any thoughts of trying to figure her out at the moment. She had obviously come to some decision with herself and for the time being he was content to let it drop. The last thing he expected to discover about Chloe Sullivan was that she was a whining complaining woman.

~

"You have to put the poles together first, then you slip the canvas on." Chloe said picking up two pieces of the pole to help set the tent up. They found a nice little area near running water with enough space to set up a camp.

"Chloe," Lex voiced irritably. "I am not that pampered that I don't know how to set up a simple tent."

'Uh oh.' Chloe thought freezing like a deer in headlights. Chloe had grown up around Pete Ross and his brothers, Clark Kent, and predominately her own father to know when she hit the male ego. It was almost comforting to know Lex had one, but she still didn't want any part of it. "Ok. I was just trying to help." She replied amicably with a little smile. "How about I look around while you do that?"

"Good idea. Take your camera with you." He agreed, trading the camera for the tent poles.

With an accommodating smile she took the camera and went to explore the area. 'Just because I'm rich, people think I can't do anything!' Lex thought to himself irritably. He shoved the two poles together, forcibly pinching his finger in the process. "God dammit!" he yelled, shaking his hand painfully and then sucking on the puckered spot. "Where the hell is that fucking survival team?'

Chloe turned around with mild curiosity and relief at hearing Lex's explanative. 'He'll beat the shit out of himself putting that thing together.' With a knowing grin, she continued on her way. 'It seems Lex Luthor is a typical male after all.'

~

After a dozen bruises and completely losing his temper at least twice, Lex finally got the tent set up. He laid out the sleeping bags, and with the help of a lighter, got a nice fire started. He stood back and surveyed his accomplishments with a satisfied grin.

Turning around, he became aware that Chloe hadn't returned yet. Mentally kicking himself in the ass, he went to go look for her. He gave her credit for leaving him alone with his task, but she was gone far too long. The thought of something happening to her hit him like a brick and he picked up his pace. His worry was short lived when he saw her coming toward him not far from their camp.

"Don't wander too far from now on, Chloe." Lex dictated.

"Your concern is overwhelming, Luthor, but we have bigger problems than giant bats."

Lex looked at her questioningly, ignoring her sarcasm.

"I just fell into a footprint," she stated, putting her hands on her hips, "and if you had of bothered to come look for me sooner, you could have helped me out of it!" she accused. "I was calling for you, you know!"

Lex felt a stab of guilt. She could've been hurt and he never would have known it he was so involved with that damn tent. "Looks like you got out just fine without my help." He shrugged indifferently, hiding his true feelings. "What kind of footprint was it?"

She stared at him with exasperation for a full minute, not believing his indifference. "A big one!" she snapped. "Other than that I have no idea." Pushing past Lex , she headed back to camp. "This just emphasizes my point of how stupid this idea was. We never should have jumped from the helicopter. And why exactly are we here by ourselves? Where is the survival team you said would be here?" turning flaring eyes on him.

"I don't know," he answered, sounding less than pleased while taking the lead and
bending under a low hanging branch.

"You mean you didn't lie about the survival team?" she inquired before ducking under the branch to catch up with him.

For some reason, her accusation hurt, letting Lex know exactly how much she didn't trust him. "What reason would I have to lie about it, Chloe?"

"Gee, I don't know, Lex." Her tone dripped of sarcasm. "Maybe it was because you already knew about this place? Or could it be that you used my interest as an excuse for you to come here yourself? Or better yet, how about your insistence that this wasn't a pleasure trip, isn't that what you told Clark? How would I know what kind of scheme you've got going on in your head?"

Lex spun on his heels to face her. "Then why did you agree to come if you already had doubts concerning my intentions?"

Chloe hesitated, backing up a step. She hadn't meant to piss him off. She also didn't want to admit that coming here with him was an excuse to get away from Clark. Lex's refusal to let Clark come along was a welcomed escape from him and his obsession with Lana for a few days. Chloe raised her chin and looked at Lex indignantly. "And pass up the opportunity to prove my theories about meteor rocks? No way!" she shoved past him hoping he would be satisfied with that answer and let the matter drop.

He let it drop though he knew better than to believe her. Lex knew that by not inviting Clark it would guarantee Chloe not backing out from taking this trip with him, no matter what she found out before they left. Little did she know that he was honestly as curious about this place as she was.

"Wow." She exclaimed reaching the camp, looking around with obvious surprise.

"Hard to believe that the billionaire's son got his hands dirty, isn't it Chloe?" he snipped at her as he walked past her.

"I... no, I..." she stammered. 'Oh dammit to hell!' "Ok, so I'm surprised." She admitted. "But believe me; it has nothing to do with you being rich or anything. I would've been equally surprised if Clark..."

Lex looked back at her when she didn't finish her sentence. She stood with her eyes closed, her face held a pained expression. She obviously hadn't meant to say Clark's name, possibly not think of Clark at all, and regretted the slip.

"It doesn't matter. You got it set up and I for one appreciate it 'a lot'!" she complimented him.

His eyes followed her as she went to the tent, expecting her to bitch about the two sleeping bags that lay side by side. He was relieved when she quietly took one of the supply bags and started rummaging in it. Most likely it was to just keep herself busy for the moment. He turned his attention to the fire.

"Lex?" she said tentatively from behind him a couple minutes later. He looked over his shoulder at her noticing she held the first aide kit in her hands. "I was wonder if you need... well, whenever my dad does 'manly' things," she changed her approached. "He always ends up with cuts and bruises, and he knows what he's doing. Not that you don't know what you're doing!" she added quickly with urgency. "But if you got cut or ripped off a fingernail or something that involved bleeding you might want to... or if you want me to...Oh, here!" giving up trying to tiptoe around and shoved the kit at him.

"Chloe." He called her back with a smile. "I'd appreciate the help." Holding out the kit to her.

She took it and sat down next to him on the ground to tend his cuts. When she was done cleaning the few on his hands, he rolled up the sleeves on his shirt to show her the scratches on his forearms.

"How the hell did you get those?" pulling his arm closer to inspect the scratches more closely.

"Lets just say I had an argument with a dead tree." He grinned despite the slight sting of the disinfectant she applied to his skin.

"Well I hope you won." She grinned up at him.

"Oh I definitely won." He assured her, glancing toward the wood burning in the fire.

Chloe laughed and lightly put some salve on his cuts.

"I found a small pool not too far from here." She informed him. "I think the water is coming from under the ground. It's warm water, Lex."

"A hot spring," he surmised, sounding impressed. "Are you inviting me or informing me of where you're going?"

Chloe laughed nervously. "Why don't we see how sharing the tent for a night works out first? I heard about your expertise at skinny dipping and I'm not sure I'm ready for that yet."

"I shouldn't be surprised that Lana told you about that."

"Are you kidding? I had to use blackmail to get the full story out of her after she slipped a hint by accident!"

"Blackmail? On Lana Lang? I didn't think such a thing existed." He joked.

'And I didn't think it was possible for me to like you so much.' She thought.

"Chloe?"

She shook her head and blinked with a laugh. "Well everyone has a skeleton in their closet. Even Lana Lang." She smirked knowingly. "I won't be gone too long. I want to be back before it gets dark."

He listened to her retreat into the underbrush wondering at her brief reverie. 'Mention Lana, Clark isn't far behind.' He surmised to himself. 'Good going, Lex.' Throwing a twig into the fire in frustration. After a few minutes he got up and followed in the direction Chloe had taken.

End 2/10

Queen Of Tact
6th October 2003, 08:34
Good ch... Hehe I can't wait to see if they get any visits in the night.... i can't wait to read more....

CC

gina
6th October 2003, 08:44
Loved this part! I like how you portray Lex and Chloe's developing relationship. :wub:

More please :biggrin:

tigerbaby
6th October 2003, 13:51
The snark was excellent. Now go post more. ;)

Sab_Luthor
6th October 2003, 14:50
hilarious
excellent
i love the banter between the two of them
update soon

happy bunny
6th October 2003, 21:02
Wonderful. :biggrin: Can't wait for more.

And did you really post so quickly simply because we asked? Because if that's the case then, POST MORE SOON PLEASE!!

asharnanae
6th October 2003, 21:53
:biggrin: Loven it loven it loven it!! were loven like that!

Fantastic chappy!! and chloe falling into a foot print was classic! more soon!

slayer44
6th October 2003, 23:17
I can't believe you even had to ask us if we wanted you to go on...of course we do!

Brittany
7th October 2003, 06:38
:biggrin: Loved it, it was super cute! Can't wait to see what happens when they get back to the tent ;) !!! Please update soon!

Gemkat5
7th October 2003, 07:42
I want to say thank you for all the feedback, and to all of you who are reading my story!!!! "Thank you!!" :biggrin:

Oh, and by the way, if I'm posting the chapters too soon...just let me know, ok? and I'll slow it down a few days... (hee hee hee! :devil: )

Please enjoy part 3 of 'Are We There Yet?'

~Kat~

*Disclaimer and Heading can be found in Chapter 1*

Are We There Yet- Part 3

The water was absolutely exquisite. Chloe had no idea how deep it was but it definitely got hotter the deeper she swam. Coming back up to the surface for air she let her hair wash back over her head, wiping the water from her eyes.

The whole area smelled of a sweet and pleasant scent that reminded Chloe of honeysuckles. She breathed it in deeply and felt light headed. 'Whoa, no more diving for sure. The water must be hotter than I thought.'

After clearing her mind she swam leisurely around the pool enjoying the solitude and peacefulness. Her eyes suddenly became very heavy. She felt like letting herself sink into the depths of the pool and just go to sleep. Raising her arm for another stroke seemed like an effort. 'Must get out of the water.' She thought drowsily, her arms and legs feeling sluggish and heavy.

Lex moved some branches out of his way and instantly caught sight of Chloe. He diverted his eyes at first for propriety's sake then said fuck it and looked on appreciatively. 'God, she's beautiful,' he thought, letting his eyes roam the length of her as she swam.

She briefly sunk under water, coughing up water when she resurfaced, making Lex pay closer attention to her swimming and not her form. She moved her arms too slowly and her head dipped again under water before her hand reached a rock. She grabbed at it with both arms and tried to pull herself up, but they gave out and she sunk.

"Chloe!" he yelled and dove into the pool from his vantage point.

She saw the rock and headed for it. Something was wrong, she couldn't breathe. Then she realized she was under water again. Breaking the surface she grabbed onto the rock but she wasn't strong enough to pull herself up. Slowly she sunk into the water; her eyes closing as she went under.

'Lex,' she thought she heard his voice call her name. With the last of her strength, she pulled herself to the surface, managing to fill her lungs with air for the last time. Lex couldn't help her. She told him to stay away and being the proper gentleman, he would listen. He would never know what happened to her. Or that he was the last thing she thought of.

Lex broke the surface from his dive. "Chloe!" he cried out, not knowing where she went under. Then she broke the surface with a loud rush for breath. He quickly swam to her using every muscle he ever toned to reach her before she went under again. Grabbing her around the shoulders he turned her face up in the water and headed for the rocks. Even close to the land there was no ground for footing underneath. The pool was literally an endless chasm into the island itself. Hoisting her up to the rock as gently as possible Lex grabbed on pulling himself out. He pulled Chloe the rest of the way out of the water and carried her to solid ground.

"Come on, Chloe, breathe." He gave her mouth to mouth and she spurted some water up, coughing as her lungs filled with air, but she didn't open her eyes. He checked her pulse and her breathing. Both were fine. "Chloe!" he
shouted at her, checking her head and body for injuries but not finding any. He grabbed her face with both hands and kissed her solid on her lips. "Come on, Chloe, wake up." He breathed over her becoming light headed.

He sat back on his heels shaking his head against the dizziness. Rubbing his hand over his face he smelled the fragrant scent of sweet flowers which made his head hurt. Looking blankly at his hand he took a tentative sniff and felt the reaction to his brain.

"Oh god, it's the water," he mused almost panic stricken. "Chloe!" he shouted. "Don't you quit on me!" He picked her up and carried her away from the pool. Not wanting to stop, he headed for the camp. As he continued on, his legs started to feel like lead. Shaking his head, he couldn't understand why the effect wasn't wearing off as they got away from the hot spring.

He fell to his knees, making sure she didn't get hurt, and weakly laid his head at her shoulder. His head started swimming dreamily, his eyes getting heavy. "No!" he breathed shaking his head fiercely. His head cleared enough for him to realize he could still smell the effecting fragrance. She was soaked in it, and so was he from diving in after her. With a new resolve, he picked her up and trod in the direction of the beach. He needed to get them washed off. He needed the ocean and fast. He all but staggered into the surf, sinking to his knees in the sand holding Chloe tightly against him. The next wave came in and splashed them both. The pure coolness of the salt water helped clear his head a little. He crawled out further with Chloe in his arms, the next wave knocking him off balance.

Chloe took a sudden deep breath.

"That's it. Come on, Chloe, wake up." He breathed breathless. "Wake up!" He shouted at her as another wave crashed over their heads, submerging them under water for a few seconds before the tide receded. He regained his balance on his knees.

Chloe started coughing and spurting opening her eyes. "I swear you're trying to kill me, Lex." She coughed wrapping an arm around his neck.

"If I am." He breathed. "You're taking me with you." He held her with one arm around her waist and grabbed the back of her neck with the other one. Pulling her to him, he crushed her lips with his in a kiss of desperation. "You really scared me, Chloe."

She was beyond shocked but somehow found a response. "I scared myself," She breathed staring up at him. "Lucky for me that you followed me anyway." She paused before adding in a whispered voice. "Kiss me again?"

He moved them both back to shore just enough that they could lay on the sand but still get wet from the incoming waves. He wanted to make sure they were thoroughly washed free of the tainted water. Laying her on her back in the sand, he gave her another kiss, this time not as rushed, not as harsh, and definitely not chaste.

She wrapped her arms over his shoulders as he kissed and nipped at her neck, his hands sliding down the length of her bared skin. She opened her eyes with the intention of taking off his shirt then froze.

"Lex," she whispered, her tone alarming him to danger immediately. He looked at her to see her staring straight up. "I think we better get off the beach."

He followed her gaze to see the creature that attacked the helicopter soaring above them. "I think you're right. Let's go. Take it nice and easy. That's not a bat; it's a bird of prey of some sort." Slowly they made their way to the bushes, neither of them taking their eyes off the soaring thing above.

~

"Did you hear that?" she asked fearfully.

"No." he replied with is eyes closed. If she got any closer to his back they would be in the same sleeping bag. Which Lex wouldn't mind at all personally. If nothing else, having sex with her would distract her from hearing noises. But after returning to their camp, she shied away from him when he attempted to finish what they started on the beach so, separate sleeping bags it was.

"I 'swear' I heard something try to land on the tent. Are you 'sure' you didn't hear anything?"

"I'm positive."

She laid back down clutching the down material in her fists, making sure she could touch Lex with a slight movement of her elbow, and stared wide eyed up at the ceiling of the tent. The dwindling fire outside the tent was casting weird shadows that had Chloe jumping in her skin.

"Lex?"

"What?" he sighed trying to hold his patience. If she asked him one more time if he'd heard anything he was going to scream, and 'really' scare the shit out her! They'd been laying there for over an hour. He was tired, the canned food was awful, and he still sported a hard on from her close contact. All he wanted at that point was for her to go to sleep!

"You're not mad because I wouldn't have sex with you, are you?"

He cringed inwardly. 'Why does she have to bring that up now?' "No," he muttered, keeping his tone neutral. "I'm used to it."

"What do you mean, 'You're used to it'?"

If her tone wasn't laced with genuine curiosity, he would've ignored her. "I often have women come on to me that refuse to follow through when they find out that I can't be bought, bribed, or blackmailed. Or that they won't get any of my money for the simple act of sharing my bed."

She looked at his bare back with a horrified expression on her face. "That's not why I told you no," she whispered, turning on her side. She reached her hand out to touch him on his shoulder but thought better of it and pulled her hand back. "It's just that..."

"You don't have to explain, Chloe. I'm fully aware that having sex with you would be a mistake."

"A mistake?" she asked indignantly.

He rolled half onto his back to look at her. "We both know I'm not the one you want, Chloe, so let's not pretend otherwise." He rolled back to his side. "Now could you please go to sleep?"

"I want you to know that I didn't sleep with you because I just don't want to have sex with you!" she shouted heatedly. "It has nothing to do with..." Something outside rushed past the tent at her raised voice, knocking over some of the supplies that had been piled nearby. "Now tell me you 'didn't' hear that?!" She grabbed a flashlight and unzipped the flap to step outside.

"What are you doing?" he asked calmly without moving, although he already knew the answer.

"I'm investigating! I can't lay here not knowing what's going on around me!" she reached back inside the tent and grabbed her sleeping bag. "And I'm taking this with me!" She closed the flap in a huff.

Lex laid inside laughing quietly to himself. 'Chloe, you truly are an exasperating delight.'

He purposely waited at least a half hour before emerging from the tent carrying his own sleeping bag with him. "Is there room for one more out here?" he asked as a peace offering. Despite her mood, he couldn't let her sleep outside alone even if she did have the fire a roaring blaze and seemed determined to stay up all night to keep it going.

"Suit yourself." She shrugged. "But I don't need you to come out here and baby sit me."

He laid his sleeping bag across from her on the other side of the fire. "Baby sitting you is the last thing I would do." He paused to look at her. "I kept hearing noises in there and felt it was safer out here." He shrugged with an amused grin.

"Go ahead, make fun of me. But I was right, there 'was' something out here and you just ignored me."

"I apologize for that." He said sincerely. He already came to terms that if he had of checked outside the first time she said she heard something, he would've scared away whatever it was and they'd probably be asleep by now. "I also apologize for the comment I made about having sex with you."

"Why? You think I'll change my mind? Well I won't."

"I wouldn't expect you to. Believe me, I'm well aware of how stubborn you get once your mind is made up." He settled half into the sleeping bag and got comfortable. He watched her for a few minutes.

Every once in a while her head snapped up at attention at hearing something. Her eyes would roam the line of firelight, all her senses fully alert.

"Do you regret coming here, Chloe?"

She looked at him thoughtfully. "Oddly enough, no, not really. I mean I expected to find 'some' weirdness when we got here. I just didn't count on it being so 'big' and alive. I want to take some of that water to be analyzed. And I found the shed skin from something reptilian. Maybe tomorrow we can climb higher and see if we can find the nest for our soaring bird."

"You realize we'll be meat if it catches us."

"Well how else am I going to get any proof for my story if I don't stick my neck out?"

'When 'don't' you stick your neck out?' He thought wryly, wisely keeping it to himself. "Point taken." He chuckled out loud.

"What about you? Do you regret coming here, Lex?"

"It's had its ups and downs. So far there's nothing for me here."

"What are you looking for?"

"I'll tell you some other time, when you're not in reporter mode."

~

Chloe had finally fallen asleep letting the fire die down low. Rolling over, she woke up from a pain in her side. Reaching beneath the sleeping bag, she found the offending rock. She was about to toss it aside when some movement caught her attention.

Blinking her eyes into focus, she saw a mosquito the size of a large dog standing over Lex getting ready to pierce him with its needle nose. "Lex!" she screamed sitting up in one motion and threw the rock at the insect.

He jumped into a sitting position as the rock hit the mosquito in the eye making it fly off into the darkness. He looked over at Chloe with astonishment. "Tell me that wasn't a giant mosquito."

"That's exactly what it was," she replied gruffly getting to her feet. She grabbed more of the wood she had stacked and threw some of it onto the fire, stirring the embers to make the flames catch faster. Returning to her sleeping bag she picked up the pillow end and dragged it around the fire to position it next to Lex. "Like it or not, I'm sleeping next to you from now on."

"It might be safer in the tent."

"No. I want to be near the fire," she stated, lying down in front of him. "You'll stay out here with me, won't you?" she asked, turning pleading eyes on him.

He snaked his arm in her sleeping bag and wrapped it around her waist. "Close your eyes and go to sleep. I'm not going anywhere." he promised.

"Thank you." she whispered, rolling over to rest her head at his shoulder, his arm around her back, her hand at his neck.

"I should thank you," he whispered back in her ear. "From the size of that thing it would've killed me. Your aim is commendable."

"I had lots of practice." She shifted in his arms to look up at him. "Pete told me once that guys hate it when a girl can beat him at a game, particularly sports, and...well, I don't play sports all that much but I love carnival games. You know the ones that give prizes?" He nodded. "I got 'really' good at the ring toss and I can knock all the bottles down with one shot. And you know what, Lex?" She smiled at him proudly. He prompted her with a raised eyebrow. "Pete was right. Boys hate it when girls can win the prize!"

He stared at her for a long moment before laying his head down and stared at the fire from over her head. "I never partook in those things growing up." He admitted demurely.

She didn't like his tone, it was so sad, and not Luthor-like at all. "What?" She smirked at him. "You never bought a carnival and rode all the rides yourself?" She joked and was relieved when she felt him chuckle.

"No, but if I do I'll make sure they have plenty of games for you to win prizes."

It was close to dawn when Lex got up to add more wood to the fire then settled back down next to Chloe who had finally fallen asleep after they talked themselves hoarse. Holding her in his arms was becoming more natural to him every time she snuggled against his chest. Which was an improvement as far as Lex was concerned. Before this trip, he could've held his breath in the time frame she normally spent in his company. Most of those times with air to spare.

She wanted to know why he came to this island. How could he possibly admit that the only reason for this entire trip was lying in his arms?

End 3/10

Nicki
7th October 2003, 08:47
now when they get off the island they have to go to one. maybe he might win her one to. I love how you are quick with the next chapter so keep it up. i love this story :yay: :worship2:

tigerbaby
7th October 2003, 13:46
That was just an extremely sweet chapter :wub:

but *shudders* I would've been freaky to get back inside the tent after that mosquito incident. We have a love hate relationship, I can't stand the little buggers but they love me.

Val
7th October 2003, 16:58
That was cute!!
And keep updating like this! :biggrin:

Sab_Luthor
7th October 2003, 19:03
awww that so nice
i love it
more definitely more

Béatrice
7th October 2003, 20:06
I like this fic about strange things in this island.
I can't wait for an update!!! :yay2: :yay2:

Gemkat5
8th October 2003, 06:21
To keep up with my regularly posting of this piece....here is Chapter 4. Thanks for continuing to read and I hope you enjoy!

~Kat~

Are We There Yet- Part 4

When Chloe woke up, the first thing she became aware of was the urgency to relieve herself. Twice she had woken up with the urge to pee but ignored it not wanting to break free from Lex to hide in the bushes somewhere. But necessity called and she couldn't ignore it any longer.

She ran her hand over his bare bicep, admiring the muscle tone he kept hidden so well. His arm disappeared under the cover of her sleeping bag and, with a slight shift of her position; she quickly discovered that his hand rested comfortably on her breast. She blushed at the simple fact alone and slowly moved his hand. He took a deep rousing breath and moaned in protest at her moving away from him. She would have subdued him to go back to sleep but she 'really' had to go!

Rushing into the undergrowth to take care of business, Chloe hoped that he didn't wake up while she was gone. That would be the most embarrassing thing imaginable. To have Lex Luthor find her with her panties around her ankles in a squat position. She turned ten shades red just thinking about it!

Not for the first time she mentally thanked whoever packed the TP in Lex's bags. Sure, he would need it himself on occasion, but Chloe needed it a lot more! Fixing her clothes, she dug a little hole with the toe of her boot and buried the tissue with a disgusted expression. 'God, I hate camping!'

She heard a rustling behind her and turned around just as a huge reptilian head poked through some leaves and snapped at her. She cried out in surprise, backing up with quick reflexes then turning on her heels to run while hearing the creature rushing behind her. "Leeeex!" she screamed dragging his name out for an entire breath.

She jumped over some vines and squeezed easily through some trees that were close together, giving her some distance from the pursuing creature when it had to go around these obstacles. She broke through the foliage into a small clearing of about twelve feet in diameter when she felt teeth rip at her shirt on her back.

Panicking, she leaped forward to avoid the teeth from reaching her skin only to trip. She didn't fall down but it slowed her enough that the creature rushed past her to skid to a halt in front of her. Chloe choppily came to a stop within a foot of it as it snapped at her face. She jumped back in time to avoid injury.

It was a lizard of some sort. Standing on its hind legs it had to be at least seven feet tall. Its build was very lean with a thin whip like tail, a narrow head, and an orange-red flap around its neck that flared up around its head when it snapped at her. Its forearms were long, not stumpy like a T-Rex, and the claws looked needle sharp, as were its teeth.

She slowly backed away from it with her hands palm out in front of her. The lizard shifted its weight and bunching up its hind legs jumped high in the air with Chloe being its landing target.

~

Lex rolled onto his back after she slipped away from him, folding his hands behind his head. Her light caress on his skin was all it took to wake him up. Deciding to remain still he let her have her secret moment of admiration. 'You can touch and admire me in your secret way all you want, Chloe,' he thought with a pleased smirk on his lips. 'I can be a very patient man. Now that I know I got your attention, I aim to keep it.'

He lazily glanced over at the dwindled fire thinking he should add more wood to it then told himself it could wait. Thoughts of her unclothed body in his arms on the beach were more pressing at the moment. So pressing in fact that he had to get up anyway to go relieve some tension. He no sooner got to his feet when he heard her scream his name in a terrified voice.

Without hesitation, he was on the move heading in the direction her voice came from. He easily found her boot prints, especially after she started running; the prints were deeper and easier to follow. He also found the tracks of what was chasing her and a pit formed in his stomach. He quickened his pace to a full run using his instincts and the larger deeper tracks as his guides.

He came to a sudden sliding stop when he saw the lizard looking creature spring into the air. His breath caught in his throat, preventing him from so much as calling out as it leaped toward her!

~

She stood frozen with fear as the lizard leaped into the air to attack her. Suddenly there was another lizard, which was bigger, taller, and just as fast. It bodily slammed the smaller one in mid air, knocking it to the ground to land on its side. They were obviously male and female, the female being the one that chased Chloe. She roared loudly and scrambled to her feet, making barking noises at the male. With a calm turn of his head he made some sort of guttural gurgling sound that made the female stand down to all fours.

The male turned his attention to Chloe, moving forward just enough to stretch out his neck and sniff at her from head to toe. He stood back to his full height of at least eight feet and made a coughing sound at her. Chloe had a feeling this was not good. The female lizard hissed at the male. The male gurgled at her again and she quieted.

"Don't move, Chloe." Lex's voice said from behind her with a serious calm. He was relieved beyond words at the other lizard arriving when he did. Now he simply had to figure out the next step of surviving this, making sure that Chloe got away first.

"I don't plan to," she replied terrified. She almost cried with relief at hearing his voice behind her. She probably would have if she hadn't been so terrified. Then he was directly behind her, putting his hand on her shoulder to let her know he was close.

The male lizard raised himself up on his toes, stretching his neck high to see behind Chloe as Lex emerged from the undergrowth. The male lizard hissed and the fan around his neck went up in his agitation when he appeared and went to her.

The female also raised herself high on her hind legs, stretched her neck to catch his scent and made a coughing noise at him.

The male turned on the female, snapping at her to get back.

She roared at him and turned her attention back to Lex making another coughing sound.

The male roared and went after the female. The female backed up but snapped at her mate the whole time.

"I think this is our cue to get the hell out of here," Lex whispered in Chloe's ear. Taking her by the arm, he pulled her with him as they slowly backed into the foliage. Once they were out of sight from the arguing lizards, they ran as quietly as possible back to their camp.

"Chloe," he called. "Help me with this."

She turned around to see him grabbing hold of a broken piece of a tree trunk. She took the other end without any pause or questions. They were going to need a bigger fire.

~

"Are you all right?" he asked her awhile later.

She sat between his knees with his arms around her, her hands clutching his wrists firmly though not as tight as before. Her head rested back against his chest as she stared at the flames in front of her.

They had returned to the camp without further incident carrying the tree trunk between them. They built up the fire but only to a normal flame. They wanted to save the bigger wood for during the night. Scavenging the perimeter of their camp, they found several larger pieces of wood and made a pile close to their sleeping bags.

"I have never been so terrified in my entire life." Her voice sounded numb and held a monotone. "She was going to kill me!" she added with disbelief. "I could smell her breath when she snapped at me! And those teeth!"

"Shh..." he soothed, feeling her tense up again. "You were a threat to her mate, Chloe, that's all."

"Why didn't the male go after you?"

"The female didn't give him a chance or I'm sure he would have."

"I hate it here. I want to go home, Lex. I'm not moving from this spot until the helicopter comes back for us!"

"Come on, Chloe, you've been up against worse back in Smallville," he consoled.

She shifted slightly to look up at him. "We're stuck here, aren't we?" she stated more than asked. "You already tried calling to get us out of here, didn't you?"

"Yes, as soon as you fell asleep last night," he admitted reluctantly. "The cell phones won't work on the island. There's some sort of interference blocking the signal."

"And you didn't think to check this 'before' we jumped from a fucking helicopter." she accused in a threateningly calm tone.

He turned his head as though he had been slapped, diverting his eyes from her not knowing what to say and not willing to admit she was right.

She stared at him for a long minute before resettling herself in his arms letting her head rest against his chest. "It's just us then," she stated softly. "We'll just have to watch each other's backs at all times." She sighed deeply resting deeper against Lex. "Its time to get our hands dirty," she asserted with vindication, "because I for one refuse to be lunch for some insecure lizard bitch!"

"What happened to you're 'not moving until the chopper shows up'?" he asked lightly, trying to put her in a better mood.

"Are you paying attention to the conversation, Luthor?" she asked, shooting him an agitated look. "I 'said' its time to get our hands dirty." She leaned back into him again with a huff.

Admiration for her filled him. He liked the way she turned things around making herself the hunter instead of the prey. Though he wasn't so sure it would work in their current circumstances as he surveyed their surroundings. They haven't even begun to find what was on the island and he had a feeling that what they've discovered so far was mild in comparison to bigger things.

~

It didn't take long after she made up her mind for Chloe to want to be on the move again. Following through with her desire to find the bird's nest, they packed lightly to head for higher ground to look for it.

With the sun beating down on them unmercifully, he allowed her to talk him into wearing a bandana on his head.

"Think of it this way," she cajoled, tying it around his head for him. "It'll prevent you from getting sunburn 'and' help keep the sweat out of your bluey eyes!" She had smirked, causing him to laugh.

"Bluey eyes?" He questioned her grammar with a laugh.

"Well, yeah. They change color too much from blue to a blue-grey. So, ...bluey!" She shrugged simply grinning at him. She stepped back to admire her handy work. "I like it."

He rolled his eyes at her then picked up the backpack.

"No seriously, I do. In fact, I think you should wear it with jeans, boots, and a leather jacket," she said with a gleam in her eyes. "That would 'really' freak people out in Smallville!" She raised her brows knowingly.

"And what would 'your' reaction be, Miss Sullivan?" He asked, cupping her face in his palm.

She met his gaze with a mischievous grin, her eyes dancing. "That would depend on if you wore a shirt under the jacket or not, Mr. Luthor." She ran her fingertip down his chest before stepping back from him with a broad smile. "I think we should get started. I want to be back before dark," she directed; her mind switching back to the task at hand.

He fell into step behind her as she took the lead, a sly grin on his lips at her daring touch. It didn't matter that she was being facetious. She was becoming more comfortable around him and Lex liked that idea.

They leisurely made their way to higher ground, noticing how the trees and vegetation gave way to rocks and hard dirt.

"Stay there a minute." he called back to Chloe, who was several feet behind him, slipping the backpack from his shoulders to the ground. "The ground doesn't feel right. Let me make sure it's..." The spot he was standing on caved in, taking him with it.

"Lex!" She screamed and scrambled practically on hands and knees to where he disappeared. "Lex!" she yelled down into the darkness of the hole. She heard a lot of commotion in the dark below, high pitched screeching and the sound of flapping wings on top of him yelling at her to get back from the hole so she wouldn't fall in too.

He hit the ground a lot sooner than he thought he would, knocking the breath out of him from the impact. He no sooner landed when he was surrounded by a flurry of movement, getting hit repeatedly from things flying all around him. By the high pitched squealing, he surmised they were bats, fairly large but not mutated in size. He looked back up to the opening he fell through yelling for her to get back.

"I'll get the rope! I'll be right back!" she called down to him.

"Hurry! It's full of bats down here and they're...ouch...in a frenzy from my fall!"

"Are you hurt?"

"No, it's only about a fifteen foot drop," he called back getting hit again from a flapping wing. Another bat caught him in the shoulder, knocking him off balance to his knees. "Chloe! Get the rope!" He yelled wrapping his arms around his head.

She ran all the way back to the camp while Lex was bombarded by the hurtful attacks of bat wings as they flew around him in a frenzy.

He put himself into a human ball as they battered against him, knocking him over repeatedly, there were just too many of them to fight off. 'Chloe, please hurry!' he thought just before he was hit full force in the head, knocking him out completely.

~

Things were much quieter in the darkness below when Chloe returned to the hole that Lex fell into. A little too quiet she thought. "Lex!" she called out in a stage whisper. He didn't answer her but she could hear the slight stirring of the bats from her voice. She looked around and found a suitable rock nearby to tie the rope around. That done, she went back to the bag and pulled out the flashlight. Turning it on, she laid on her stomach to shine the light into the hole. She saw him laying unconscious directly below with bats climbing all over him. She screamed in a very loud, very high pitched shriek, causing the bats to go into another frenzy, most of them flying off of his prone form. She slung the bag over her shoulders, put the string of the flashlight between her teeth and swung over the edge to hoist herself down the rope. 'Thank god for gym class!'

By the time she reached the bottom, she was almost gagging from the smell. She forced herself to ignore it as she bent down over him. Using the flashlight to first ward off the bats, she then gave her full attention to Lex. He was not only covered with grime and bat droppings, but she found multiple bruises and scratches all over his arms, head, and back when she rolled him to his side. Luckily none of them seemed too serious and she laid him on his back again. "Lex." She wiped his face with her shirt and called him again. By the fourth time of calling his name, her eyes were watery with worry. She didn't know why he was unconscious, but he was breathing and that was all she needed at the moment.

She was hit yet again by the wing of a bat as it fly too close, this time hurting enough to make her wince and cower low over his chest. The bruise stung for a full minute as though she had been lashed. Looking at his closed eyes, she then understood why he was unconscious. If he was hit repeatedly like that, the pain alone would've been enough to knock him out. Even if he was Lex Luthor.

~

Lex opened his eyes to a darkening sky above him and a cool breeze on his skin. "Chloe." He roused himself and tried to move.

Chloe put her hand on his chest to keep him still. "Stay still. I'm almost done," she said, putting her hand on his chest. His bare chest he realized. Looking down at himself, he saw all the scratches on his arms and body. He laid back to let her finish cleaning them.

"How did you get me out?" he asked, trying to work the saliva in his dry mouth to talk.

"I used the rope and pulled you up," she answered simply enough.

"You...you went down there after me?" he asked as she finished cleaning the last cut on his arm.

She met his gaze. His tone and expression were of total disbelief. "No, Lex, I lassoed you around the neck and heave-hoed!" She snapped, misinterpreting him completely. "Now, if you can move, I'd like to get back to the camp before it gets dark."

"Chloe!" He grabbed her arm before she could move away from him. "That's not what I meant!" he searched her eyes for some understanding but didn't find any. She was too hurt and pissed off from misinterpreting him. "Most people would've just left me there," he said softly, letting his head drop back to the ground. "I was just surprised you actually risked going down there for me." He swallowed hard after his admission, wondering what the hell was wrong with him to admit such a thing!

Chloe was fairly wondering the same thing. He was reaching out to her in a way that 'had' to be considered weak by Luthor standards. "I had to go down there to get you," she said in almost a whisper. "You weren't moving, and you had bats crawling all over you, I couldn't tell if you were even breathing or not." Her voice, even though softly spoken, betrayed her true feelings. She had truly been afraid on his behalf. "We have to get back to camp, Lex." She stated roughly after clearing her throat and walking away to put some distance between them.

He stiffly rose to his feet, his back protesting the movement loud and clear. He must have hurt it when he fell. Looking over at her, he saw her brush at her cheek with the back of her hand as she put the backpack over her shoulders. Slinging the duffle bag across her chest from her right shoulder she went over to him and ducked under his left arm to give him support as they slowly made their way back to camp.

End 4/10

Who wants more? Anyone? (yes, I have a needy Muse who thrives on feedback!) :blush:

hfce
8th October 2003, 07:03
More please..... ;)

Hope :cool:

Nicki
8th October 2003, 08:17
please more and soon if you can it's really great

Queen Of Tact
8th October 2003, 08:22
Great ch..... I'm so loving this story..... I can't wait to read more........ I'm so goign to have to watch JP now...............

CC

Tandy
8th October 2003, 08:54
More... I beg of you... :worship2: :worship2:

Tandy

Sab_Luthor
8th October 2003, 10:15
I WANT MORE
I ALWAYS WANT MORE
EXCUSE ME BUT ITS A STUPID QUESTION

Béatrice
8th October 2003, 15:12
VERY GOOD!
I can't wait for the next chapter. :yay: :yay:

tigerbaby
8th October 2003, 15:39
OMG, this chapter kind of freaked me too!

I can't stand reptiles and I had to read between fingers. *shudders*

I need a really hot shower now.

Gemkat5
9th October 2003, 07:52
N.S. seemed to be having some trouble today (Wednesday) so I figured I'd post the next chap as an award for finally being able to get into Naughty Seduction! :biggrin:

Ok, so that's a crock, I was going to post anyway. But I thought that kinda sounded good! ;)

I hope you continue to enjoy!
~Kat~

Are We There Yet- Part 5

They returned to the camp to find it completely ransacked. The tent had been torn apart, their supplies strewn all over the ground, and their sleeping bags were nothing but shreds of fluff.

"It wasn't like this when I came back for the rope, Lex. What could have done this?"

"I don't know. But I wouldn't rule out our pair of lizards from this morning. Whatever it was seemed to want the food and it looks like they found it," he assessed, surveying the site. "We have to move," he stated with urgency. "Grab what you can carry."

"Why? They already cleaned us out and the remaining supplies don't look broken."

"Because whatever did this will most likely come back looking for more food. At that point, Chloe, 'we' would be the food. Do you still want to stay?"

"No. Point taken," she conceded, stooping to pick up some supplies to add to the pack. "But you don't have to be so sarcastic about it," she complained under her breath.

"Oh? And I suppose your comment about lassoing my neck and...how did you phrase that? Oh, right, 'heave-hoed' was justified?"

"I hate how you do that," she snapped, though her words had no meaning behind them.

"Do what?"

"How you say things that aren't supposed to be funny and yet you make me laugh."

"You're wrong. I've seen you laugh and right now you are definitely not laughing."

"That's only because I'm too scared to fully appreciate the humor. I 'know' you got hurt, Lex, and I know you're trying to hide it. But in all honesty that's what's scaring me the most because you have damn good control and I can see that you're in pain anyway, which tells me you are 'really' hurt."

"Try to find at least one of the cell phones," he said quietly blatantly changing the subject. "Maybe they'll work from a different location on the island."

She stared at him with a hurt expression before turning to do his bidding to find a cell phone.

He watched her busy herself thinking how this trip was definitely a bad idea. Not much of anything had turned out the way he expected. He hadn't expected oversized wild life, he hadn't expected the water to be tainted, he hadn't expected the cell phones not to work, but most of all he hadn't expected to have to rely on Chloe just to survive. How could he successfully gain her affections away from Clark when she was constantly saving his ass from unnatural disasters?

"Lex?" His eyes slid to meet hers. "Are you ok?" She asked; her eyes full of concern.

'See?' He mused to himself. 'She never would have asked me that in Smallville.' Aloud, he replied, "I was thinking how things have a way of not turning out the way you'd expect sometimes."

She had a feeling he wasn't just referring to the camp being ransacked. She watched him as he ran his hand over his head and slowly turned to gently ease himself down to squat over a pile of supplies. She bit her lip as the setting sun reflected an orange-red glow across his bared back. It had taken a lot of control not to kiss every scratch when she was cleaning him up. He had been so helpless while unconscious. Helpless and yet more intimidating than he'd ever been before.

She glanced down at her hands, wincing slightly at the rope burns on her palms and the broken blisters on her fingers. She was glad he didn't insist on details of how she got him out of the cavern. The first thing she discovered was that he weighs more than he looks, causing her to almost drop him, twice, before she figured out how to wrap the rope around her arm and waist for ballast as she pulled him up hand over hand.

By the time she got him near the top her hands were raw and stung so bad she actually cried from the pain. She's not exactly sure how she managed to pull him over to solid ground. What she was sure of, however, was that while she sat there with him lying in her arms, with his head resting at her chest, that she would protect him with everything she had until he was able to defend himself again.

She fully agreed with him. She never would have expected to think of Lex Luthor as anything other than the billionaire's son worth getting an interview from. That is, until they came on this trip together. The most unexpected realization was that here was Lex Luthor: intimidating, cunning, devious at times, and definitely not someone to contend with. And yet she was finding him to be more touchable than Clark Kent ever had been.

She watched him try to pull the other backpack over his shoulders, letting the pack drop twice before she went over and took it from him, slinging it over her arm.

"I can carry that," he stated defensively with an edge to his voice.

She turned, focusing her knowing eyes on him. "I'm sure you can, but you'll hurt yourself even more and I won't let you do that to yourself." She stepped up close to him. "Put your ego away, Lex. I'm not in the mood to pacify it right now."

~

It was fully dark when they were forced to stop and make the best of the situation. With the help of a salvaged Bic lighter Lex started a fire while Chloe dragged a large piece of wood over to the flames, stubbornly not letting him help her.

She threw one more broken branch into the fire and moved to sit in front of him as he lounged on his side with his hand holding up his head. He wrapped his arm around her and pulled her down against his chest as he rolled more comfortably onto his back. She laid her head at his shoulder and let her hand rest at his neck. Within minutes, her breathing became even and steady.

They hadn't spoken since leaving the old campsite. He felt put out by her insistence to carry everything herself. She was irritated because of his attitude. It didn't matter to him that she had been right. He would have hurt his back more by carrying the bags, what mattered to him was the feeling of helplessness.

He let his hand run down her back not being very pleased with himself, when she flinched against his hand. Curious, he raised her shirt to find a large welt mark running down her otherwise flawless skin. With his concern instigated, he checked her body as much as possible from their current position, finding a few scratches on her upper arms, the knee of her pants had blood stains in it, and there was a thin scratch that ran down her neck under her hair. He rested his head back down with a regretful sigh. 'None of this was supposed to happen.'

Closing his eyes, he took her hand in his only for her to moan painfully and pull it away from him. She shifted slightly, burying her hands between their bodies in a protective gesture. He waited a few minutes for her to settle back into deep sleep before retrieving her hand by her wrist. He stared at the visible rope burns and raw blisters for a long while. He wasn't sure how to feel about this. He knew she got them by pulling him out of the cavern.

His emotions went into autopilot and he became agitated with her for not telling him she was hurt, not to mention for letting herself get hurt to begin with. He rebuked himself because it was all his fault. After a few minutes, he slipped away from her and got the medical kit. Returning to her sleeping form, he began cleaning her cuts and put burn cream on her hands.

"Whatcha you doing?" she mumbled sleepily when he touched her sores with the antibacterial lotion.

"I'm taking care of you. Go back to sleep." He placed a kiss at her temple. "Thank you for saving me from the bats." He whispered softly into her ear.

"Thang you ...saving me from Clark." She whispered back dreamily.

He tilted his head to look at her face to find that she had already fallen back to sleep. A troubled expression creased his features. 'I don't feel the hero, Chloe, but it seems I'm doing something right.'

~

"What's bothering you, Lex?" She finally asked the next morning while idly tossing a twig into the fire.

"Why do you think something's bothering me?" She didn't seem to remember him cleaning her cuts or what she had said to him the night before though he had to admit he felt better this morning than he had previously. Even his back didn't hurt half as much. But he was still bothered by many things about this trip.

"Ah, maybe because you're literally sulking."

"I feel I owe you an apology," he replied quietly. "I didn't expect any of this to happen."

"I already figured that out, Lex. Apologies aren't necessary."

"They are when I repeatedly let you down."

"Excuse me? How could you possibly think that?" she asked, raising her voice. "I'd be dead if it weren't for you. I wouldn't have survived the first day. I would have..."

"Chloe," he interrupted. "I saw your hands. You have blood on your clothes, you have welts on your back, and they're all my fault."

"Oh. Those," she identified with a subdued tone of voice. "You noticed those huh?"

"I was curious as to why you would flinch at my touch. Why didn't you tell me?"

"Because you felt bad enough about me having to help you in the first place." She shrugged. "I didn't want you to know that I got hurt in the process."

"How did you get me out of the cavern, Chloe?"

"It wasn't easy. Let's just leave it at that."

"Did you drop me, Chloe?"

"No!" She replied quickly with wide eyes. "I wouldn't let you!" He reached out and took her hands gently in his, turning them palm up as she continued. "I didn't let you hit the ground! The rope slipped but I didn't drop you!" tears swelling in her eyes. "I swear I held on! I didn't hurt you!"

"Shh, shh, shh.' He took her face in his hands. "Calm down. I believe you." He pulled her to him and wrapped his arms around her shoulders.

"I didn't drop you." She cried into his neck, letting him comfort her.

"The first thing I'm going to do when we get home is take you to the medical center," he promised when she calmed down.

"The first thing I'm going to do when we get home is take a long hot shower and eat everything that's in the fridge."

He laughed in agreement. "Then I think you should come to the mansion. The food can be prepared while we clean up. I'll make sure you have clean clothes brought over for you."

"I like that idea." She smiled up at him.

He wiped a stray tear from her cheek. "I thought you might." He grinned and leaned forward to kiss her lips tenderly. He pulled back to see her reaction. She met his eyes directly.

"I still won't have sex with you though." Noticing how he tried to hide his disappointment, she requested. "But I wouldn't mind another kiss."

He smirked at her with a gleam in his eyes. 'That's all I'll need for you to change your mind.' He thought as he took her lips in his. Taking her bottom lip in his teeth he licked at it with the tip of his tongue. Her intake of breath allowed him to explore her mouth intimately.

Suddenly they both broke apart to look at each other with astonished and disbelieving eyes.

"Do you hear that?" Chloe asked.

"It's a plane!" Lex exclaimed.

Simultaneously they jumped to their feet and ran for the beach hoping they reached it in time to flag down whatever aircraft happened to be flying nearby.

End 5/10

tigerbaby
9th October 2003, 13:31
That chapter was just sweetness in itself. I loved Chloe's adamantness at not being the cause of Lex's injuries. It's probably just shock, fear, whatever, but it was really sweet. :wub:

I want them rescued, but damn you for iterrupting that tender moment :tease:

Sab_Luthor
9th October 2003, 13:32
awww they are so cute
MORE PLEASE

hfce
9th October 2003, 17:50
More please.... ;)

randa
10th October 2003, 00:45
aww, its just so sweet. And a plane!! will they be rescued?
i wanna know so update, please?

randa

happy bunny
10th October 2003, 01:25
Great job with this! You manage to have something exciting in every chapter. Can't wait for more!

And that last bit :tease: Tease

Gemkat5
10th October 2003, 08:55
Continuous thank-you's for all the FB! :worship2:

and now, on with the story...

Are We There Yet- Part 6
SUMMARY: Lex and Chloe return home to find that they had gotten used to each other more-so than they thought!
PG-13
Disclaimers in Chapter 1

Are We There Yet- Part 6

The seaplane landed easily and anchored just off the cost. The pilot rowed to shore in a rubber raft.

"What happened to the helicopter?" Lex asked the pilot when he reached the beach.

"I ran into a problem after I dropped you off. Somebody declared this entire area restricted as soon as I touched down. Someone with a lot of money and a lot of pull also canceled the survival team you hired to meet you, leaving you stranded out here by yourselves."

"Your father." "My father." Both Chloe and Lex stated simultaneously in dry accusing tones.

"I don't know who it was. I'm just glad to find you both alive. But we have to clear out as soon as possible. I have to get the plane back before they realize I took a wrong turn."

"Well, we don't have as much stuff to take back as we did getting here if that helps," she chimed cheerfully. "We have a camp set up that way." She pointed in the general direction of the forest.

"By all means, lead the way." The pilot gestured with his hand for her to go first.

Lex put a restraining hand on the man's arm after she stepped out of the way. "You can be my pilot anytime."

The pilot smiled, shaking Lex's hand. "I hope you mean that. I just might need to take you up on that after all this is over."

"Oh I mean it. Just call my office and tell them you're the pilot to the island. I'll make sure they contact me immediately."

Within the hour, they loaded their sparse supplies onto the raft and rowed out to the plane. Shortly thereafter, they were skipping over the water for take off.

She looked back nostalgically before slumping in her seat.

"Don't tell me you'll miss it there?" Lex quipped lightly.

"You're kidding right?" She asked indignantly. "Giant mosquitoes, huge lizards, tainted water, mutated vegetation, and god knows what else? No Thanks!"

Lex was going to ask why she seemed so sullen then, but decided against it. He wouldn't get the answer he wanted to hear anyway.

"There is one thing I'm going to miss though." She said after a few minutes and looked over at Lex. "I got used to the sleeping arrangements."

"I think that was the most normal part of the entire trip." He smiled at her. She returned his smile with obvious relief, telling Lex how nervous she had been about her admission. "Though I'm not sure how we're going to get our relationship back to the way it was, Miss Sullivan."

Her smile faded. Normally when he called her that, it was almost endearing. But now, it just sounded funny to her ears. "I don't want to pretend that we didn't become friends, Lex." She paused unable to read his expression. "But if that's what you want then sure, we can..."

"No." reaching over to cup her chin with his fingers. "We became more than just friends, Chloe; I don't want you to pretend about anything that happened between us. I'll fly us to an isolated beach every night if that's what you want to do."

"Really?" she asked, the light coming back into her greenish hazel eyes as she smiled at him hopefully.

"Really," he whispered and kissed her softly on her lips.

~

They arrived back in Smallville late in the afternoon. Lex was true to his word and let Chloe shower, eat, and then pass out with exhaustion in a guest room only for her to wake up in the middle of the night too restless to fall back to sleep.

Wandering down the hall, she found Lex in his office working on his laptop. "We never did find the other cell phone." She stated quietly to announce her presence.

"That's all right." He grinned leaning back in his chair. "I like to think it's in the stomach of an eight foot lizard. I call it every few minutes to make it vibrate just to give the bastard indigestion."

She laughed at his humor. "Do you mind if I stay in here with you? I couldn't fall back to sleep."

"Hearing noises?" He smirked with humor.

"No, that's just it." She frowned. "It's too quiet. There's no rustling sounds, no night birds, no waves, no breeze."

"I get the idea, Chloe. Why do you think I'm sitting here in the middle of the night myself?" rising from his desk. "We'll sit over here," he added, walking toward a couple of chairs near the fireplace.

"If you ask me to get wood for that, I swear I'll drop you on your ass."

He chuckled seating himself comfortably. "You already had your chance to do that, and passed it up."

"That's ok. I don't regret it," she assured him, moving to slide onto his lap. "How's your back feeling?"

"Much better. I had my masseuse come in for an emergency massage." He replied wrapping his arms around her. "I was going to add you to her list but you were already asleep." His whispered against her ear before nuzzling her neck.

"I'm still not going to have sex with you." She said, baring her neck to him for more.

He pulled his head back to look at her. "Are you telling me or yourself, Chloe? Because it seems to me that every time I kiss you, you feel the need to make that point."

"I just don't want you to get the wrong idea."

"Chloe, when you decide you want to have sex with me, I am more than confident that there will be no doubt in my mind of what you want."

"You're really sure of yourself, aren't you Luthor?"

He chuckled. Her calling him by his last name meant one of two things. He either pissed her off, which he knew he hadn't, or he was closer to the truth than she wanted to admit, which he knew to be true in this particular case. "Are you saying I'm wrong?" he teased.

"I'm saying I want to try and get some more sleep," she replied firmly and snuggled down against him to rest her head at his shoulder.

He quietly held a small grin on his face as she slowly relaxed to fall asleep. "I think we should put another log on the fire. We might be attacked by servants in the morning."

"If they come bearing food and the liquid of the gods, I don't care." She yawned at him.

"Do you want me to send the spring water to the lab tomorrow to be analyzed?"

"I'll give you your own sample of it. When the results come back I'll show you mine and you can show me yours." Her head popped up almost a full minute later. "That 'so' didn't sound right!"

"Go to sleep, Chloe." He chuckled and laid her head back to his shoulder.

"By any chance, did you find any meteor rocks? I don't remember seeing any, yet the island was reaming with proof of its effect."

"You know, 'every' night you do this. I want to go to sleep and you want to talk. What is with that?"

"You didn't find any either, did you?" he smirked knowingly.

"As a matter of fact," she told him, stifling another yawn. "I did. The island was covered with it. There must have been a volcanic eruption melting the meteor rock into a liquid and mixing it with the lava. When everything hardened the meteor rock hardened with it. It was in the walls of the cavern you fell into and I found some around the pool. I brought back some samples along with some leaves, sand, dirt, some roots, a couple of interesting looking rocks, shed skin of some sort, and... oh yeah, the water."

"When did you collect all these samples?"

"Obviously when you weren't looking." She grinned at him. "I just picked them up randomly here and there."

"We were lugging all of it around with us in the backpack, weren't we?"

"Well you don't think I was going to leave it behind, do you?" She yawned again, covering her mouth to be polite. "Can I go to sleep now?"

"Not just yet. Let me up, I want to get something first."

While he was gone, she added another piece of wood to the fire. Mostly just to have something to do until Lex came back. A few minutes later, he returned with an armful of blankets and a small box.

"Here. Add this to your sample collection." He said handing her the box.

He moved the chairs out of the way to lay the blankets on the floor, doubling them over for more cushioning against the hardwood floor. Chloe looked at the box curiously. It was as long as a shoebox but only a quarter deep. Opening it she found a big gray and white feather inside.

"Oh, Lex, is this what I think it is?"

"I would think so. We can't say for sure that there was only one of those birds just because we saw only one at a time. I found that on the beach and thought you'd want it."

"Lex? Did you find this before or after we went looking for the nest?"

The lie was on the tip of his tongue ready to roll off smooth as silk until he looked at her waiting expression. "Before." He shrugged with honesty. "Don't ask me the next question, Chloe. I don't have an answer for you."

Her jaw snapped shut. She put the feather back in the box and closed it, putting it aside. Crawling over to the blankets to join Lex she placed her hand square in the center of his chest and pushed him onto his back, moving up to cover him with her body.

"I'm still not going to have sex with you," she reiterated with a slight grin. Though Lex knew she wasn't kidding. "But I like the way you kiss." She eased down to meet her lips with his.

'Chloe,' he thought to himself as he responded to her mouth on his. 'You are going to pay dearly for this when you finally give in.'

~

"So how was the trip?" Pete asked from her bedroom doorway.

"Well," she replied turning off her monitor and turning around. "We were attacked by a giant mosquito, a bird that was bigger than the chopper, we couldn't drink the water, the survival team never showed up and I got to spend four days alone with Lex Luthor."

"So which one was the bad part?" he wondered, trying to be facetious.

"I think that would be the seven foot lizard."

"He touched you, didn't he?" Pete accused heatedly. "I'll kill the son of a bitch! I 'knew' there was something funny about that whole trip thing! I bet there weren't even any meteor rocks, were there?"

"Pete, chill out!" She yelled to make him stop. "Lex didn't lay a hand on me. At least not in the way you're thinking. We were too busy trying to stay alive. I'm telling you, look at these pictures, that island has more weird shit on it than we've ever seen here in Smallville!" she paused thoughtfully. "Ok, well maybe we've seen weirder. But that's not my point!"

Pete glanced at her pictures then met her gaze. "So nothing happened between you and Luthor?"

"Not anything 'you're' thinking of! Oh, and by the way, it's nice to see you again too!"

"Now you know I'm tripping when I pass up a hug opportunity!" He laughed and hugged her. "You know I was worried about you."

"Well, this time you had reason to, but not for the one you were thinking."

"Ok. So tell me about Monster Island!" He exclaimed, settling on the edge of her bed as she told him about her trip and the island of weird, leaving a lot of in-between information unmentioned.

~

"Lex! I didn't expect you to return so soon." Lionel exclaimed with mild surprise as Lex walked into his father's office in Metropolis.

"I can't imagine why. I said I would be back in time to attend the board meeting."

"Yes, well, it's been canceled. I heard you had some trouble on your trip and thought you would need the extra day to get resettled."

"Always the doting father, aren't you, Dad?" Lex practically sneered. "It's a shame you didn't inform 'me' of the cancellation."

"I didn't?" he said with feigned shock. "I could have sworn I left a message for you on your cell phone."

Lex laughed humorlessly. "Well it doesn't matter. You see, I called the board members this morning and verified with your secretary as I just came in. All the board members are here in your conference room waiting for the meeting to begin. So, I'll see you in the meeting, Dad." He said smugly and left the office.

~

Chloe paced her room restlessly. The day was uneventful yet tiresome. She must have told at least twenty people the 'highlights' of her trip with Lex. By noon she simply replied with, "It was interesting." And left it at that.

She went to her nightstand and grabbed her cell phone to call Lex. "I can't sleep." She said when he answered. "Would you settle for a porch swing instead of blankets on the floor?" she heard him chuckle lightly on the other end.

"I'll be right there."

~

Lana came downstairs to get something from the kitchen before going to bed. Passing the front door she saw Chloe standing outside in her pajamas and robe.

"Chloe?" Lana inquired, stepping outside. "Are you all right?"

"Yeah , I'm fine." Chloe reassured her with a friendly smile while hoping Lana would just go away. She was so tired and knowing Lex was on his way, Chloe simply didn't want Lana around to possibly ruin her time alone with him. "I just can't sleep."

Lana suspected there was more to Chloe's story than she was telling people and she had a feeling it had to do with a certain debonair rich man. "If you want to talk..," she offered leaving her sentence unfinished.

"I really just want to be left alone," Chloe replied with an apologetic smile. "But if you're still willing to listen tomorrow we can talk then?"

Lana smiled. "It's a deal. Good night, Chloe."

"Good night."

Lana went back into the house as Chloe sat on the cushioned porch swing, pulling her robe tighter around herself from the chill in the night air.

A few minutes later Lex's Ferrari pulled up in the driveway. He stepped up to the porch and eased himself onto the swing putting his legs up in a laid-back position using the pillow Chloe handed him for his back against the arm.

Chloe laid down half next to him, half on top of him, and snuggled deeper as he put his arms around her back. She settled down with her head at his shoulder and her hand at his neck.

"My dad is still at the plant, you know?" She stated quietly.

"I know. That's where I was when you called," he replied sounding tired.

"Is it a big problem?"

"Gabe has it under control. One of the processors shut down. It's simply machinery bullshit."

She chuckled at his unintentional pun. "You knew what I meant." He chuckled gruffly poking her in the ribs making her squeal and wriggle at being tickled before settling back down.

"It's going to be interesting when Gabe returns home to find me laying on his porch swing with his daughter."

"I told him everything, Lex," she admitted, raising her face to look at him.

"I got that impression earlier at the plant. However, I just got done ordering him around as his boss. I don't look forward to the tables being turned when he uses his authority as your father."

"We're fully clothed and outside on the porch. There isn't much room for anything to happen. Plus Lana is in the house."

"How did that turn out?" He decided to ask instead of pointing out that there was plenty of room for 'something' to happen in their current position. "Or didn't you talk with her yet?"

"I just want to go to sleep, Lex," she half complained, stifling a yawn. "I'll talk to Lana tomorrow."

"What about Clark?"

"She can have him. Now would you shut up?"

A pleased smile came to his lips as she snuggled deeper against his chest. He closed his eyes and tightened his arms around her. 'Almost there, Chloe. You're almost there.'

Lana slowly backed away from the wall near the door. She was heading back to her room with a cup of tea when she saw Lex come up onto the porch. She hadn't meant to eavesdrop but found herself completely enthralled with Chloe and Lex's behavior toward one another. Lana witnessed a side of Lex Luthor that very few people have seen and yet it made sense somehow that it was Chloe who brought it out in him. A warm smile graced her lips as she made her way to her room. She was happy for Chloe that her friend found something special in Lex that no other woman could touch, just like she had with Clark. For the first time in a long while everything seemed to be working out for the better.

~

Lex heard the springs on the screen door and opened his eyes to see Gabe's car parked behind his Ferrari, blocking him in the driveway. His brow creased slightly with bewilderment. There's no way the man didn't see them on his way into the house. Lex's car alone spoke loudly sitting in the Sullivan's driveway. He looked down at Chloe noting their slight change in position. He had rolled more to his back in his sleep, Chloe adjusting herself accordingly by laying more on top of him, her arm halfway around his neck and her bended knee over his legs. 'No wonder she's so exasperating.' He thought. 'She gets it from her father.' Pushing all further thoughts from his mind Lex closed his eyes and went back to sleep.

End 6/10

tigerbaby
10th October 2003, 16:00
That was just :wub: . I love it that he understands her need for closeness and I could swear that discussion about not having sex was taken right out of a day in my life. :biggrin:

asharnanae
10th October 2003, 18:53
:chlexsign3: :love: oh that was fantastic!! love the escape and the porchswing! hope ya can post up more soon!

kirt30
10th October 2003, 22:21
more more more

gina
11th October 2003, 10:28
Aw, they're so cute :wub:

More please :)

Brittany
11th October 2003, 11:56
:biggrin: I love it!!! I can't believe I had so many chapters to catch up on but they were all so great! The sleeping arrangments were so romantic! I can't wait for the next chapter, so don't make me wait too long! I'm addicted to this fic :worship2: ! This is such a cute story!!!

Gemkat5
11th October 2003, 16:54
Hi Everyone!

Somehow I get the feeling I am spoiling you all by posting this so quickly, but I can't help it... I hope you enjoy!
~Kat~

TITLE: Are We There Yet- Part 7
SUMMARY: Lex gets a lesson on what it means to be Chloe's friend!
Other disclaimers in part 1

Are We There Yet- Part 7

"I can send someone over to take care of those if you like," Lex offered from the kitchen table, gesturing to the pile of dishes in the sink.

"Don't you dare!" Chloe exclaimed, "My dad would have a fit! Besides me and Lana have a system about the house chores."

"And that is?" He queried, quirking an eyebrow curiously.

"We clean on an as needed basis," she replied informatively with a shrug.

"Chloe?" Lana called, skipping down the steps. "Do you know where my..." She froze at the kitchen doorway. "Lex... uhm, good morning," she stammered uncomfortably.

"Good morning, Lana," Lex replied with a smile.

Lana crossed over to Chloe whispering in her ear. "Thanks for the warning, this is weird!"

Chloe grinned at her mischievously. "You think? Well then it's a good thing you came down when you did because I was about to make him help with the dishes."

Lana physically blanched at the idea making Chloe laugh. "I'm kidding! My dad blocked Lex's car in last night so he's staying for breakfast."

"Why don't you just move your dad's car for him?"

"Trying to get rid of me, Lana?" Lex grinned at her.

"No!" she said hurriedly facing Lex and blushing slightly. "It's just that... well you probably...I have to find my hair clip."

"Oh," Chloe called. "It's right here." She picked up the hair clip and held it out for Lana with a smug expression.

"Thanks." She smiled weakly. "I'll be right back to help with breakfast."

"You wouldn't by any chance be having too much fun at my expense, would you?" Lex asked Chloe after Lana had left the room.

"Me?" she asked innocently. "No, I'm like that with Lana 'all' the time." She exaggerated with a grin.

"Right." He scoffed, obviously not believing her.

She had the pots and pans cleaned and was making some pancake batter when Lana returned and joined her by the sink to start washing the dishes.

He took the opportunity to talk to Lana about the Talon while they cleaned and prepared breakfast. He knew his presence was making Lana very uncomfortable and decided that by talking about the Talon it would put her in a more familiar frame of mind where he was concerned and ease her nervousness. It worked like a charm. He also found Chloe's change in attitude very interesting.

His business partner seemed oblivious to the frequent glares and huffs of agitation from Chloe as she filled Lex in on some needed minor repairs and the loss of some supplies when the storage room flooded again.

"Could you clean faster and talk less?" Chloe all but snapped at Lana. "You 'know' my dad comes down as soon as he smells food!"

"We're only discussing business, Chloe." Lana pointed out in her soft toned voice, handing Chloe a plate for the hotcakes before turning to set the table. She understood exactly why Chloe was being so uptight and it had nothing to do with Mr. Sullivan.

"Good morning, girls." Gabe announced his voice still groggy. He sat down across from Lex as Chloe put the plate of hotcakes on the table.

"Morning, Daddy." "Morning, Mr. Sullivan." The girls chimed pleasantly in unison, Lana placing a cup of coffee each in front of both men. He took a sip from his cup before looking across at Lex.

"Lex." He nodded in greeting.

"Gabe," he replied easily, taking a sip from his own mug. "Everything back to normal at the plant?"

"Smooth as clock work."

"Why do you turn every conversation into a business meeting?" Chloe asked Lex slightly annoyed.

"Chloe, mind your manners," Gabe instructed absently as he reached for some hotcakes.

"I'm a businessman, Chloe," Lex replied smoothly. "I get my feedback whenever the opportunity presents itself."

"Well this is not a business opportunity. This is breakfast. And if you utter one more word about anything business then this meal becomes a business expense! And trust me, I have all the receipts too!" she sat down with a satisfied smirk while Lana and Gabe stared at her in astonishment.

Lex's eyes were filled with amusement while he chewed some food.

"Uhm, Chloe." Lana voiced tentatively. "I think Lex has the right to talk about whatever he wants. He 'is' our guest." 'Not to mention boss and business partner!' she added to herself.

"Sorry, Lana," Gabe countered. "I think Chloe's right considering Lex is here for personal reasons, wouldn't you agree Lex?"

"Absolutely," he conceded graciously.

With a satisfied grin, Chloe went back to the stove to help Lana finish cooking breakfast while the men ate in silence, covertly looking at each other between bites. After a couple of minutes, Lana leaned closer to Chloe.

"Now we have nothing to talk about!" She whispered real low.

Chloe looked at her and opened her mouth to say something snide then thought better of it. Turning back to the frying pan, she addressed her dad instead.

"Daddy. I'll probably be late getting home tonight. I have to go to Metropolis to see a friend."

"Which one?" he asked casually.

"Ben. I want him to check out the samples I brought back from the island."

"Just don't make it too late, Chloe. I want you at least on the porch by midnight," he directed, looking blatantly at Lex as he said it.

Lex sat slightly straighter in his chair, meeting Gabe's stare head on. "I thought you already had the samples tested?" He asked Chloe letting his gaze lazily slide in her direction.

"I changed my mind." She answered bringing the pan to the table to add some eggs to her dad's plate. "I want Ben to look at them. He's good at finding things that others overlook. Plus he knows me and will give me results right away. I should have them to bring home with me tonight. Do you want some eggs?"

"Please," he requested; his tone suddenly neutral. He waywardly glanced at Gabe while Chloe walked around the table. Gabe was staring at him knowingly but didn't say anything.

A knock came to the front door.

"It's open!" Chloe and Lana both yelled knowing it was Clark coming to pick Lana up.

"Pass the butter, please?" Gabe said to Lex. Lex picked it up to oblige only to have Chloe take it out of his hand.

"He's not allowed to have that." She whispered to Lex while looking at her dad accusingly. "And not even 'you' can over rule me on that one."

"Lana? Chloe?" Clark called, letting himself in.

"In the kitchen!" Lana called.

"Are there health problems I should know about?" Lex asked Gabe.

Chloe glared at him for going into 'boss' mode.

"Isn't that Lex's car?" Clark wondered as he walked into the kitchen half backwards gesturing back toward the door then turned around to see Lex sitting at the table. "Lex..." he said with astonishment. He looked at Chloe questioningly then glanced back to Lex as he pieced it together. His eyes becoming guarded.

"Morning, Clark." Lex said easily.

"Good morning, Clark." Gabe added, reaching across the table for the butter himself.

"Good morning, Mr. Sullivan. Hi, Lex." Clark replied in a monotone voice. "I didn't know you could cook," he said lightly to Chloe trying to get a handle on what was going on.

"You never asked," Chloe quipped, walking past him to add an egg to her own plate before getting the sausage and bacon off the stove. Clark looked at Lana for help.

"I'll be ready in a minute," Lana said before leaving the kitchen. It was good to know that she wasn't the only one who was uncomfortable at Lex being in the house although she hoped that she handled it better than Clark.

"To answer your question, Lex, no, my daughter just thinks I should have a diet."

"Oh, Lex," Clark piped up, remembering something. "My Mom wants to know how much produce you want to order this week."

Lex sat back fully in his chair and looked at Chloe who was staring at Clark with hands on hips and an incredulous expression on her face.

Clark followed Lex's gaze with confusion.

Even Gabe was waiting for his daughter's reaction.

"I give up!" she exclaimed, suddenly shaking her head and throwing her hands in the air. "It's impossible! I'm surprised your cell phone hasn't been ringing."

"I turned it off before I came in the house," he cracked with a sly grin showing his amusement. Gabe couldn't help the chuckle that escaped his lips and tried to hide it by drinking his coffee.

"Daddy! I thought you agreed with me?"

"Did I miss something?" Clark asked, looking from one person to another.

"I have to get to work," Gabe announced, clearing his throat and stood from the table. "Lex, can I talk to you privately please? Outside?"

"Sure." He took a last bite of food and washed it down then stood to follow Gabe out. "Tell your mom, the usual," Lex said to Clark as he passed him. "Chloe, call me with any information."

Clark watched them leave then turned back to Chloe still confused. "Was it something I said?"

Chloe plopped down in a chair and put her elbows on the table to prop her forehead in her palms. "I just wanted a nice breakfast without any talk about business." She pushed the chair back suddenly, letting it screech on the linoleum floor. "Apparently that was too much to ask for!" she snapped and rushed from the kitchen.

Lana passed Chloe near the doorway as she rushed by and watched her run upstairs, not understanding what was going on. "What was that about?" she asked Clark.

"I'm not sure. I asked Lex how much produce he wanted to order from my mom and all hell broke loose."

"Oh. Where 'is' Lex anyway?"

"Outside talking with Gabe. Are you ready?"

"Yes." She perked up with a smile.

"Maybe you can explain a few things on the way?"

"I can try." Lana said.

~

"I need to talk to you concerning Chloe," Gabe told Lex once they stepped outside.

"I haven't touched your daughter, Gabe," he assured the other.

"You have no idea how relieved I am to hear that, Lex. But if you 'think' for one minute that you haven't touched her in some way then why the hell were you on my porch last night?"

Lex met Gabe's eyes then let them drop slightly. How could he possibly admit to his head foreman that he dropped everything to be with Chloe just because she called? "I don't have an answer for you," He stated, meeting Gabe's gaze once more.

"You know damn well you would never accept an answer like that from me or anyone else who works for you." Gabe accused. "This is my 'daughter' we're talking about dammit!" Gabe took a calming breath, realizing he was starting to shout and continued in a more controlled tone. "Lex, the next time you're in my house, I'll expect a better answer to my question." He turned and went to his car driving away without hesitation.

Lex went to his own car and got behind the wheel. His lips curled with renewed admiration for Gabe Sullivan. 'He's right. I would never accept such a lame response. Trouble is, how can I give him an answer to what I haven't admitted to myself yet?' Lex backed out of the driveway and headed for the mansion.

~

"Ok, Luthor," Chloe said with agitation, stepping up behind Lex in the Talon. "You've been avoiding me for the past two days and I'd like to know why."

Lex turned to see her standing with her hands on her hips looking at him expectantly. "I haven't been avoiding you. I just returned from Metropolis this morning."

"Then I'll give you some advice at how a friendship works. When a friend calls you, it's customary to call them back, even if it's to say that you're busy and can't talk!" She threw her bag over her shoulder and turned to leave. "One of you, tell my dad that I'll be home late again," she added over her shoulder as Lana came to the counter.

"Where are you going?" They both asked simultaneously.

She spun on her heel to look at Lex. "If you had of returned my calls, you'd already know that answer. Lana, I'll explain later. I have to go."

He turned to Lana after Chloe left. "Is there something I should know about the Sullivan household? Gabe's mood wasn't much better when I saw him at the plant earlier.

Lana looked at him uncomfortably. She knew what was going on but didn't want to get involved. "I think you need to figure this out yourself, Lex."

He leaned on his elbows across the counter to bring his face closer to Lana's. "Surely you could give me a small hint, Lana, from a business partner perspective that is," he cajoled smoothly.

She hated it when he pulled out the charm. He really could be very irresistible when he wanted to be. But to use their partnership too...that was just underhanded. She decided to use it to her best advantage. "That's the problem, 'Business Partner'," she replied, stressing their partnership.

His thoughtful gaze turned questioning when he couldn't piece it together. "What does our business partnership have to do with Chloe?"

"That's just it, Lex. Nothing. You have business ties with more than half this town including myself, Mr. Sullivan, and the Kent's. We pretty much know where we stand with you at any given time. Chloe doesn't have that."

"I'm sure Chloe knows where she stands with me." He replied confidently.

"She was here yesterday when you returned my call, Lex. She knows that you called me 'right' back." She informed him. "Excuse me, I have tables to wait on."

~

Lex walked into the barn inhaling the sweet scent of fresh hay and saw dust. Sometimes he really missed his mother's ranch in Montana. He thought about making the current owners an offer they couldn't refuse to get it back, but it wouldn't be the same without his mother so he didn't bother. Which was, for another reason, he now found himself in the Kent's barn. Things weren't the same with Chloe since their trip together.

On the island everything seemed to just work out somehow. Even when Chloe was angry with him for whatever reason she still stayed by him, they remained close. She had tried to hold on to that when they returned to Smallville but Lex messed it up. Now he needed to turn to the only person he 'could' turn to. Lucky for Lex, Clark was a good friend to Chloe as well.

"Lex?" Clark called from his loft.

"Yeah!" he exclaimed, picking up his pace to climb the steps. "I was hoping to catch you at home," he added, reaching the top step. "How'd the date with Lana go?"

"It was nice." Clark smiled. "But I'm sure you didn't drive all the way over here to ask me about my date with Lana."

"And you'd be right." He half laughed busying himself with looking at Clark's book collection as an excuse to not have to look at him. "I was wondering if you could shed some light on the exotic creature known as Chloe Sullivan." Now it was safe to turn around.

"That depends on what you want, Lex."

"I want her to consider me as a friend." He admitted, sitting on the other side of the sofa.

Clark laughed, "It's not easy being Chloe's friend, but it's definitely worth it."

"Clark, I'm not asking for all the details. I'm more than willing to figure those out for myself. I'm simply curious as to how to get back in her good graces. What works? Flowers? Jewelry? Coffee?" He grinned at the last suggestion.

"Well, first of all it's always a good idea to call her back."

"I've already figured that out," he moaned, leaning forward resting his elbows on his knees.

"I'm serious, Lex," he asserted, his tone matching his words. "Knowing Chloe the way I do you can't always be sure of why she's calling, especially when you don't know where she is or what she's up to. She could be in trouble and need help, which happens a lot."

Lex looked at Clark, the weight of his very last words setting in. "Trouble does seem to follow her, doesn't it?"

"Follow her? She usually goes chasing after it," Clark declared with bright eyes. "Hey why don't you offer her the interview she's always wanted?"

"I have. She turned it down."

Clark looked shocked. "You're kidding? Did she say why?"

"Something about my lying in a previous interview." He shrugged.

"Oh right. I remember that. She had proof and everything to disprove your entire interview. I'm surprised she told you about it."

"Which interview was that, Clark?" Lex asked with intent interest.

"She 'didn't' tell you about it." Clark realized too late.

"She didn't tell me she disproved it." Lex could tell by the expression on Clark's face that he didn't want to say anything else about it. "You're not going to tell me anything are you?"

"I saw your name on a fax sheet before she snatched it out of my hands. When I asked her about it she told me it was proof disclaiming one of your interviews. That's all know."

Lex sat back on the sofa, resting his ankle over his knee comfortably. He could tell that Clark was telling him the truth, it was written all over his face. His dilemma now was what to think about Chloe digging up information about him, what kind of information, and what she found out that caused her to refuse to share it with Clark.

"See what I mean about her chasing after trouble?" Clark joked trying to lighten the mood in the loft.

Lex stood up and went to the steps. "Do you know where she went today that would make her get home late?" Clark didn't want to tell him anything and Lex honestly didn't blame him. Nodding with understanding at Clark's silence Lex headed down the steps.

"Lex. That interview she disproved was over a year ago," Clark told him, trying to cover up his slip. "If she didn't tell 'me' about it, she never told anyone." Then Clark's tone changed. "Don't hurt her, Lex." He threatened.

Lex half turned to look up at Clark and was suddenly filled with envy at how these friends protect each other. Then a loneliness at not being a part of that friendship seeped through him. He was about to silently turn away and leave when the vivid image of Chloe's rope burned palms flashed in his mind. He paused. 'She went into that hole after me. Why? Why did she do that?' Lex met Clark's now suspicious gaze.

"Clark, if you fell into a dark cavern full of bats and was rendered unconscious, would Chloe try to save you?"

Clark was completely taken aback by Lex's unexpected question. "I don't know, Lex. I guess that would depend on a few things."

"Hypothetically speaking," he prompted. "It's just the two of you, you're miles from help, and she had rope and found a way to get to you. Would she pull you out?" he was freaking the boy out and he knew it. But he 'had' to know!

Clark surmised that Lex's question was obviously remnant to something that happened on the island that Chloe hadn't told anyone. It was something that still bothered Lex a great deal.

Clark's mind went into overdrive to come up with an answer. "Well, ...first of all, if I was unconscious she wouldn't be able to move me, she's not strong enough. Second to that, she's deathly afraid of bats so unless I was getting eaten alive I'd say she wouldn't climb in. She would most likely scream herself hoarse to wake me up and find something to tie the rope around for me to get myself out when I came to."

Lex half smiled. "If you truly believe that, Clark, then you highly underestimate her and what she's capable of." He turned and finished down the steps to leave.

Clark's eyes went wide with realization. He thought Lex had saved Chloe not the other way around. He better understood Lex's question now. "Lex." He called just as his friend was at the door. "She went to Metropolis. Something happened to the lab where she took the samples to be analyzed. And Lex?" he skipped down the steps to see Lex looking back at him. "You were the one she called for help. Not me, and not Pete."

End 7/10

tigerbaby
11th October 2003, 17:10
Stupid Lex :hammer: How like a man. Avoidance is never the way to go if you want to win the lady dum-dum. Some grovelling is definitely in order.

I just loved Lex's fishing trip for information. Looks like he got the answer he was looking for.

p.s. you can never have too much of a good thing, so if you want to spoil us, I, for one, certainly won't stop you.

kirt30
11th October 2003, 21:42
oh come on keep it coming this is a really good fic

asharnanae
11th October 2003, 22:13
:tease: stupid lex for not calling!!!! but great chappy!!!!! loved every word! :worship2:

Queen Of Tact
12th October 2003, 00:54
Great ch... I'm so loving this story..... I can't wait for more..... Lex so better call or go talk to chloe......

CC

happy bunny
12th October 2003, 03:53
Great chappy, I loved it. :biggrin: Can't wait to see Lex get his act together.

And don't worry, I like being spoiled. *g*

Val
12th October 2003, 04:29
That was great! And damn Lex!!
More soon please????

Gemkat5
12th October 2003, 07:32
Hi Everyone!!!!!

Please enjoy this next little bit of my story... :blinkkiss:
~Kat~

TITLE: Are We There Yet- Part 8
SUMMARY: Lex confronts Gabe, and Chloe proves she can get into trouble without trying!
Disclaimers in chapter 1

Are We There Yet- Part 8

Lex pulled into the driveway, parking behind Gabe's car. Chloe's car was nowhere in sight. He knocked at the door for Gabe to answer it himself.

"Lex," he greeted thin lipped with a nod. "Is this business or pleasure?"

Lex half smiled to hide how uncomfortable the question made him feel. "Pleasure."

"What can I do for you?" He asked, his voice changing slightly to a defensive tone.

"You could give me the chance to spend more time with your daughter," Lex replied pleasantly, but matter of factly.

Gabe was used to Lex's various styles of communication and ignored the seeming sternness of his tone. "Spend time with her how? As in 'dating' her or freezing your tails off on the front porch in the middle of the night?"

Lex hadn't realized how much that had bothered the man until that very moment. He could feel his resolve slipping. He wasn't used to having to ask for what he wanted and briefly thought of walking away but he couldn't do that either. He chuckled lightly to himself, the sound reminding him of his own father. Lex made a mental note to think about that later. He squared his shoulders and looked Gabe Sullivan directly in the eyes.

"Gabe, I think your daughter is completely exasperating. She argues with me when no one else would dare. She wants proof for everything I tell her. She ends up in the most precarious predicaments and then complains when I help her out of them. And on top of all that, she drinks too much damn coffee."

He stepped just a little closer to the screen door lowering his voice to just above a whisper. "But despite all that, or even because of it, I know with absolute certainty that she's someone I can trust. She's not interested in my money, she doesn't want to use my connections, she's definitely not in my father's pocket, and she doesn't give a rat's ass about what I've got or what I can give her. And believe me, I intend to give her whatever she wants." He finished with finality.

Gabe stared at Lex through the screen for a full minute, noticing with acute awareness the uncertainty emanating from the young man in front of him. Never, in all the years he's worked for Lex had he ever seen him look so vulnerable. And yet a new respect sprouted in his favor because he knew how much it took him to admit everything he just said.

"Are you done?" Gabe asked, keeping his tone firm.

Lex's expression changed ever so slightly to surprise for a split second before he hid it and nodded quietly waiting patiently for Gabe's reply.

"Well then by all means come in." Gabe opened the screen door for Lex to enter the house. 'This is definitely going to be interesting.' Gabe thought knowing his daughter very well and Lex fairly well. 'Interesting indeed.'

~

Chloe pulled up to the curb and saw the Porsche in the driveway. She got out of her car and went into the house. Hearing them talking in the kitchen, she headed in that direction.

"Chloe..." Lex announced with a smile on his face and a beer in his hand as he leaned against the kitchen counter. His smile faded quickly after getting a good look at her. "What happened?" he asked seriously putting the beer down to go to her. She backed away from him refusing to meet his eyes.

"Ben's dead," she whispered miserably.

"What happened, Chloe?" Gabe asked going to his daughter to take her in his arms, all but pushing Lex out of the way in the process.

"There was an explosion in his lab," she said tearfully going to her dad for comfort. "And it was my fault."

"That's nonsense. How could it have been you're fault?" he cooed.

"He found something in the samples I gave him. He wouldn't tell me what it was, he said he wanted to run more tests and that he would call me." She looked up at her dad with tears running freely down her cheeks. "I didn't think anything of it when he didn't call. Everything was destroyed when I got there. His house, his lab, everything."

"That doesn't mean he was inside when it..."

"I had to identify the body, Dad!" Chloe bellowed, losing her last bit of reserve. "It was him!"

Lex wasn't sure what to do as Chloe heart wrenchingly sobbed into Gabe's chest but he was sure about finding out what happened to her friend. He knew chemists, and although accidents happened in labs, Lex had a feeling this wasn't an accident.

"I'll find out what happened, Chloe," he stated quietly just as his cell phone went off. Lex pulled the phone from his pocket just as the Sullivan's house phone started to ring.

Gabe, Chloe, and Lex exchanged glances before Lex answered his phone and Gabe answered theirs.

Chloe slumped into a chair at the table, numb with dread that this wasn't over yet.

Lex finished his call first. "There was an accident at my lab as well." he told Chloe. "The island samples were lost along with all the data and the chemists that were working on it."

Gabe hung up the phone and turned around, his expression not reassuring. "There's a problem at the plant." Looking more than a little worried. "They found a bomb under the main reactor."

"Evacuate immediately," Lex ordered, taking full control. "Tell them not to touch anything, don't so much as turn off a light switch!" he headed for the door making a call on his cell with Gabe right behind him. Chloe following on their heels.

"It's already in progress. Luckily, it's the night shift so there's only a quarter crew on duty. It should take them three minutes to completely evacuate."

Lex turned and looked at Gabe, lowering his cell phone as realization came to him. "Chloe, did Ben have a private lab?"

"Uhm...Yeah." She replied blinkingly at his sudden question. "It was an extension on his house. He built it specifically as a lab."

"Somehow I don't think this is coincidence," Lex muttered and putting the phone to his ear headed to his car.

"Chloe, stay here. I don't want you anywhere near the plant right now." Gabe told her walking out the door.

"No, you can't do that!" she complained pleadingly reaching the porch. "You 'can't' leave me here by myself!"

"Chloe, now's not the time to argue!" Gabe yelled reaching his car.

Lex turned back around still talking into the cell and took Chloe by the arm. Ending his call he looked directly at Gabe as he lead a willing Chloe to the Porsche. "I don't want her left alone for one minute until this is over." He stated authoritively. "I'll keep her with me for the time being."

Gabe was about to argue the point as Chloe's father, then decided not to. Chloe would most likely follow them anyway and Lex was, not surprisingly, taking complete control of the situation. With all things considered, it was probably the best way to keep her safe. 'I hope you know what you're doing, Lex.' Gabe thought getting into his own car. 'Chloe won't always agree with you. Trust me, it's bound to happen.' Gabe backed out of the driveway after Lex pulled out, letting him have the lead as he sped down the street. 'I seriously hope she's wearing the seatbelt.'

"You're not always going to get away with that, you know," Chloe said once they were on the street.

Lex spared a glance at her between watching the road and dialing another number on his phone. "We both know you would've followed us anyway, Chloe," he stated matter of factly. "I want to know where you are and being with me is the easiest way to do that."

She stared at him incredulously. "Oh all of a sudden I'm so important that you can't have me out of your sight but yesterday I couldn't even get you to call me back!"

"Here. Take this." Ignoring her ranting as he handed her his cell phone. "I want you to call the first three numbers in the autodial while I handle what's going on at the plant."

"I am 'not' your lackey!" she argued heatedly refusing to take the phone.

"Chloe," he said with a frightening calm. "I can't handle both situations at the same time. I have a feeling the bomb at the plant is only a decoy to distract me from finding out what happened at the labs. I've never asked anyone in my life to handle my business, Chloe, I need you to call these numbers and handle the investigations while I handle the plant business."

"What do you want me to tell them?" she asked quietly taking the cell from his hand. She couldn't believe what he was asking her to do. He was actually involving her in his devious private life and she was overwhelmed by it. But he was right. He needed to get on the investigation before the trail got cold, if it wasn't already too late. She listened intently as he instructed her at what to say and to whom.

"Stay in the car, Chloe." He said as he got out when they arrived at the plant a few minutes later. She nodded agreeably and started making the calls he asked her to make.

Gabe arrived a few minutes later, pulling his car up next to the Porsche. He gave Chloe a curious look as he got out. The last place he expected to see her was sitting in the car on the phone rapidly speaking with someone. Turning his attention to the problem at hand he hurried to join Lex and the authorities at the plant entrance.

~

Chloe sat sullenly in the Porsche trying to absorb everything one of Lex's investigator's just told her when suddenly the driver's side door opened. It wasn't Lex who got in.

"Wha...What are you doing?" Chloe asked, trying to get a grip on her emotions.

"You don't seem surprised to see me, Chloe," he said closing the door.

Chloe reached for the door handle but he grabbed her arm. Screaming she smacked him in the face with her elbow. He cried out but grabbed her again holding a knife at her throat.

"Don't fight me, Chloe. I want Luthor, not you. Now behave yourself and call him over here." Chloe started to roll down the window. "Use the cell phone, Chloe," he sneered adding pressure to her neck.

"He doesn't have it with him," she explained. He lightened up on her skin and she continued rolling the window down. He lithely climbed into the back space of the Porsche while the point of the knife never left her neck under her jaw.

After a few times of Chloe shouting for Lex, someone heard her and got his attention for her. Looking over at his car he noticed someone in the back. With a casual stride he headed to his car making sure he passed Gabe along the way. "Don't turn around or you're fired," he stated matter of factly. "She got herself in trouble waiting in the car." His tone showing his disbelief.

Gabe nodded and headed inside the plant. It took all the control he possessed not to turn around to look for his daughter. He knew Lex wouldn't fire him if he had, but whatever trouble she was in, Lex was obviously trying to keep it unnoticed.

"Well, if it isn't the infamous Lex Luthor himself!" The man sneered from the back seat when Lex leaned on the car next to Chloe. "Come around to the driver's side. I'd like to take a ride in your nice car," he said, making sure Lex saw the knife at Chloe's neck.

"And you are?" he asked with a calm he didn't feel.

"Benjamin Shultz," he replied, sounding hurt that Lex didn't know who he was. "Get in the car!" he yelled.

Lex briefly met Chloe's eyes before he walked around and got in behind the wheel. They had been cold and calculating. He'd never seen that in her eyes before, and considering all they've been through together, he knew it wasn't good. He started the car and peeled out, burning rubber as he did so.

"Whoa! Speed Racer! You pull another stunt like that and she's going to get seriously hurt!"

"I thought you were dead, Ben." Lex stated.

"Ha! Yeah, that was a great cover up! I guess that prosthetic dummy looked more real than I thought, eh Chloe?"

Lex glanced at Chloe to see a small prick mark of blood on her neck, her jaw was clenched tight, and her eyes were diverted out the side window. "Let me pull over and let her out."

"No way! Keep driving! Make a left up here at the road!"

Lex stole another glance at Chloe peripherally. There was no change in her. He looked in the rearview mirror to see Ben looking at Chloe with a worried expression on his face. 'He knows there's something wrong too.' Lex thought.

"Chloe," Lex voiced.

"Don't! Just don't talk to me!" she snapped harshly looking at him. 'Wait in the car.' You said! 'Sit right here.' You said! Do you see where that got me?" she yelled leaning slightly forward with each accusation making Ben have to pull back the knife so as not to cut her.

Lex had a feeling he knew what she was up to. "Chloe, don't..."

"Oh shut up!" she yelled heatedly.

"Take your own advice and sit back," Ben said, his lips curled with amusement at Chloe's temper and relaxing a little bit because of it.

She flopped back like a pouting child just as Lex made the left turn with skidding tires and hard pressed brakes. She hit the door with her shoulder, falling forward with the momentum as the car screeched to a stop. She braced herself with her right hand on the dashboard as Ben was thrown forward between the seats with the knife aiming harmlessly toward the floor. She looked over her shoulder to see Ben and smashed her left elbow in his face again, this time breaking his nose.

He fell backward crying out in pain, holding his face as blood streamed through his fingers. Lex jumped from the car and reached back inside to grab the son of a bitch. Dragging him out of the back seat he delivered his own punch to Ben's face before forcibly slamming him against the car.

"Who paid you off?" Lex hissed in his ear.

He started chuckling despite his throbbing nose and having his arm twisted behind his back. "Lionel Luthor."

"Well then I hope for your sake that's your sense of humor and not the truth." Lex grinned.

"Why, can't stand that your 'daddy' is better than you are?" Ben scoffed.

"No. It's just that anyone who has failed him isn't alive to tell about it." Lex whispered in Ben's ear.

"Bullshit!" Ben laughed nervously, trying to look back at Lex.

Lex laughed without humor as the police approached. "You're right, Ben, I'm sure you'll be just fine," he said with feigned reassurance, turning him over to the police.

~

"Are you sure you're all right?" Lex asked Chloe as he drove them to the mansion.

"Would you stop asking me that?!" she snapped, getting irritated. "I'm fine!"

He spared her a glance from the road. She wasn't fine and he knew it, but he wasn't going to push her. She would tell him in her own time, if ever.

"Just take me home, Lex," she said, suddenly sounding tired.

"The mansion's closer," he offered trying to be helpful.

"Why can't you just take me home?!" she yelled at him. "I want to go home! I don't want to be around you! I don't want to be around people! I just want to be alone!"

She turned away from him but he heard her sniffle in the dark. Normally, Lex would have brushed off the hurt her words caused him, he would have ignored her silent tears, and he would have continued driving as though nothing was wrong. But acting 'normally' hadn't done him a damn bit of good in the past. He slammed his foot on the brakes and got out of the car.

"What are you doing?" she called after him. He moved around the car so fast she didn't have a chance to wipe the tears she didn't want him to see.

"Let's go," he said sternly opening her door and reaching inside for her arm.

Clumsily she got out of the car, his hand on her forearm. "What are you doing?" she repeated once she was on her feet, pulling her arm from his grasp. He reached out and grabbed her arm again, a grimacing expression on his face. "Lex!" she said indignantly, trying to pull back from him. "What the hell is your problem?!"

He claimed both her wrists to hold them at chest level and pinned her between himself and his car. He remained silent and unmoving letting her rant and rave and throw empty threats at him. Eventually she quieted, let her shoulders slump and rested her head on his chest.

"Why are you doing this?" She implored in a whispered voice.

He let go of one wrist to open the car door, swinging it wide. Then led her with him as he sat inside leaving his right leg outside the car. "Come here," he coaxed tugging ever so gently at her wrist.

She sat sideways on his lap letting him wrap his arms around her. The feeling of him holding her felt so good. She laid her head on his shoulder and relaxed against him, closing her eyes. For a long time she listened to his steady breathing thinking how ornery he was. Who else but Lex Luthor would hold her to him when she was fighting so hard to get away?

"You're parked in the middle of the road, Lex," she reminded him quietly sounding content.

A warm smile graced his lips as he shrugged. "They'll just have to tow it because I'm not moving." He liked the feel of her snuggled against him. He hadn't realized how much he had gotten used to her being near him, and how much he missed her when she wasn't. Reaching behind Chloe he stretched his arm to grab his cell phone and pushed a button.

"It's Lex. I need you to come get me. I'm in the middle of route 43 about twenty minutes west from the castle. No, I just don't feel like driving home."

"I don't believe you just did that!" Chloe laughed with awe in her voice as she looked up at him.

"Trust me, he's getting paid well enough for it. But some things are just priceless," he said tightening his arms around.

She smiled up at him, her cheeks warmed at his words. Then slowly her expression became serious. "I'm glad you can't be bought, bribed, or blackmailed," she whispered.

He returned her serious gaze, finally understanding what had been bothering her. So much had happened to her within the past week it could have been anything. Her friend's betrayal was obviously the last straw.

She slipped her hand behind his head to draw him closer and softly touched her lips to his. She pulled back again and looked like she was going to say something but focused on his lips instead. This time when her lips met his there was no mistake in Lex's mind of what she wanted.

End 8/10

flower
12th October 2003, 13:52
AHHHHHHH! COME BACK HERE AND UPDATE!!
PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE!

I just LOVE this fic :biggrin:

F

tigerbaby
12th October 2003, 16:10
Poor Chloe. What can I say, she's just got the most absolute horrible luck when it comes to choosing friends. *sigh* Thank god was Lex went out of his way to comfort her. Now with that buildup we all now what's coming...at least there'd better be! :blush:

asharnanae
12th October 2003, 16:42
:huh: wha????? ...... ?...... Hey!! get back hear and give us the rest!!!!! damn you with the excelent cliffhangers!! Ohhhhhh!! Please, more soon, this is just to good!!!!

happy bunny
12th October 2003, 17:08
Great chappy. Poor Chloe, but I'm sure Lex'll make it better. :blinkkiss:

Can't wait for more.

kirt30
12th October 2003, 17:24
love it keep it coming

Tandy
13th October 2003, 02:35
Moreeeeeeeeeeeeeeee! Please more!!!!!

Tandy

Queen Of Tact
13th October 2003, 03:49
I love this story..... Question did u post this some place else? Cause i keep getting the feeling I've read some of this before.....

CC

Gemkat5
13th October 2003, 06:10
Hi All!

This is a pre-post to let everyone know that the next chapter is going to be NC-17. (or at least "R" at any rate.) :biggrin:

~Kat~

Calliope
13th October 2003, 06:14
Well, get to posting it! ;)

Gemkat5
13th October 2003, 06:56
I hope I gave sufficient warning for this chapter's rating! Now please, Go! ... Read!... Enjoy! :chlexsign2:
~Kat~

TITLE: Are We There Yet- Part 9
SUMMARY: Chlex. One very long limo ride!
RATING: R/NC-17!

Are We There Yet?- Part 9

The limo pulled up alongside of Lex's Porsche and stopped. After escorting Chloe to the other car Lex slipped behind the wheel of the Porsche and parked it off to the side of the road.

"Don't bother telling me when we arrive at the castle," Lex said to the chauffeur. "In fact, feel free to take the long way back." He added as he ducked inside.

"Yes, sir." The man said dutifully and closed the door after Lex got in.

"This thing is huge," Chloe stated when Lex joined her.

Lex shrugged taking a wayward look around the interior. "I guess," he replied non-committally. "I'd rather talk about your green eyes," he said smoothly, easing himself on the seat to lay Chloe down beneath him.

"My eyes are hazel and not at all interesting."

"Right now they're green and very interesting," he answered while nuzzling her neck.

Chloe giggled and shrugged her shoulder at the tickling sensation on her neck making Lex move back. She was biting her lip as she looked up at him.

'She changed her mind,' he thought looking down at her. 'Dammit.' He turned his head to kiss the other side of her neck instead, resigning himself to heavy kissing, light touching, and her falling asleep in his arms while he...

"Lex?"

"Hmm?" not bothering to stop his attentions at her neck. She placed her hands at his shoulders and pushed at him to move back. 'what now?' he thought with mild exasperation. He held his upper body up by his arms to look down at her questioningly. 'If she tells me that she doesn't want to have sex with me, I swear...'

"I need to ask you something." Reaching between his arms to undo a button on his shirt, her eyes focused on what she was doing. "I'm not sure if I 'should' ask." She undid the next button. "But its been bothering me for awhile." Another button. "And I'd really like to know." The next button was undone and she pulled his shirt from his pants. "before I run out of buttons." Second to the last button... bye-bye. She slowly and admiringly ran her eyes up his bared chest to meet his gaze. His eyes were smoldering with desire. They were so blue they were stunning!

He wanted to plunge into her so bad it hurt. He momentarily couldn't say one damn word. He swallowed and even that took too much effort. He closed his eyes. He had to so he could regain his control. When he opened them again he caught the tail end of her smirk.

"What's your question, Chloe?" he asked, suddenly not having any problem finding his voice.

Dropping her gaze to her hands she said, "When will you stop having a doubt in your mind," She popped the last button open. "That I want you?" She trailed both her hands and eyes up his chest. Her hands sliding his shirt off his shoulders. Her eyes meeting his.

"My doubt wasn't that you wanted me, Chloe, it was if you were ready for me."

She wrapped her arms around his neck, still amazed at his arrogance but liking it, and pulled him down to kiss him, her tongue slipping between his lips to meet his. He bore his weight down on her, crushing her with his body, his mouth ravaging hers with pure abandon. Nipping her bottom lip he moved to trail his tongue under her jaw and down her neck.

"Fuck me, Lex." She breathed into his ear.

"Oh I'm going to, Chloe, believe me." he whispered back. "I'm going to make you want me more than you ever thought possible." He noticed the uncertain fear that flashed in her eyes just before he claimed her mouth. "Trust me, you'll enjoy it." he said against her lips.

His hands adeptly worked at her clothes. His lips and tongue keeping her mind free from all thought. Once she was free of her clothes he shucked off his pants and pulled her into his arms, moving into a sitting position with her on his lap. She looked down at him with glazed eyes, running her fingers over his shoulders and chest. Her face was flushed, her breathing erratic, and he could feel how hot and wet she was.

He dipped his head and took a nipple into his mouth, making her take a sharp breath. Holding the nipple captive with his teeth, he flicked the tip of his tongue over it teasingly.

She cried out his name, throwing her head back, thrusting her hips into him, her hands clutching him by the back of his head. He shifted to favor the other nipple.

She actually screamed from the pure thrill of it. She practically panted as he laid her on her back, freely running his hands over her soft skin. He ran his tongue down her stomach to just inside her hip causing her to writhe slightly at the sensation. His hand firmly cupping her between her thighs, he continued lower with light strokes of his tongue stopping when she moaned and bent her knee. Turning his wrist, he slipped a finger inside. She was so wet, so hot.

"Lex! Please!" she pleaded, grinding into his finger.

Lex stretched out above her, taking her lips in his once more. Easing himself down on top of her, he briefly held his breath as she wrapped her thighs around his hips savoring the feel of it. He wasn't sure if he would hurt her or not. She was quite simply exasperating to the very end. There were many things she responded to him with familiarity, but there were just as many that made her tense up before relaxing for him again.

"Chloe, I need to know if you're a virgin."

"No, but he wasn't as big as you are. And it was just that one time."

'Exasperating to the end,' he thought cynically and rolled onto his back taking her with him. "Fuck me, Chloe." He purred in her ear before she sat up. She stared at him for a few seconds before a pleased grin crossed her lips.

She shifted lower to straddle his hips. Leaning over him on her hands and knees she licked at his nipple.

He took a sharp breath and closed his eyes. "Chloe, not now." His voice sounded strained. He opened his eyes to show how impassioned he was. His jaw clenched tight for control.

Chloe took him in her hand, his eyes sliding closed, and positioned his cock at her nether lips. She was more than wet and he slipped inside easily. She slowly lowered herself, closing her eyes at the feel of him filling her. Rising herself back up she breathed in a deep breath not believing the sensation of it. She started easing down again when he placed his hands on her hips. She opened her eyes to find him looking at her.

"You're beautiful. You know that?"

If he hadn't moved himself slightly deeper into her, she would've started to cry at his sentiment. Luckily, she enjoyed this and wanted to feel more. With the help of his hands at her hips, she took him fully inside her, starting to move into him with slow thrusts, reveling in it. Lex didn't have to prompt her to move it along. Once she had him fully she found the momentum all on her own, sliding the length of him faster and harder with each thrust.

"Lex!"

He grabbed her ass, meeting her thrusts with his own to finally pull her forcibly down onto him and hold her as he came with a loud grunting growl. Chloe's own shout escaping her lips at the same time.

She doubled in half to rest her forehead on his chest, breathing hard and sweaty. Lex catching his own breath while running his hands up and down Chloe's back.

"Are you all right?" Lex asked after their breathing returned to almost normal. The only movement from her had been her hands idly kneading his toned biceps.

"That was absolutely amazing," she whispered, still slightly breathless before picking her head up. "Why didn't you make me have sex with you sooner?"

"If you recall, you were fairly adamant about 'not' wanting to have sex with me. I do many things, Chloe, rape is not one of them."

"But that was so good!" she argued. "You could have changed my mind if you wanted to, why didn't you?"

"I was respecting your wishes." His eyes filled with amusement at her arguing with him about this.

"Well then I'm giving you a wish upfront. I wish for you to not listen to me if I ever tell you no again!" "For the sex!" she added quickly as his brows raised questioningly. "That only applies to the sex, nothing else."

"Duly noted," he sighed and closed his eyes. "Chloe?"

"Hmm?" half laying on him again.

"I'm not done with you yet."

She raised herself to rest on her forearms on his chest, constricting her inner muscles that were still surrounding him, as she met his gaze mischievously.

His eyes widened slightly with pleasurable surprise. "Where, may I ask, did you learn that?"

"I read it in a magazine. You like it?" she asked with a gleam in her eyes.

"Need you ask?" shifting his hips.

She grinned at feeling him harden within her and leaned down to lick at his nipple, keeping her eye contact with him. "It doesn't take much to get you aroused, does it Mr. Luthor?" she teased at feeling his reaction to her tongue on his skin.

"That all depends on who the seductress is." he answered barely above a whisper, his voice deep and husky. Sitting up he shifted her legs carefully around his waist.

"Me? A seductress?" she laughed. Her muscles tightened slightly at her laugh, hugging his cock firmly inside her.

With passion filled eyes Lex wrapped his arms around her back, drawing her body fully against his and claimed her mouth hungrily. They were both breathless when they parted. Lex slid his hands down her back to cup her ass cheeks, kneading them fully with palm and fingers. Chloe closed her eyes at the feel of it and tilted her head to nip/lick at his neck, mildly noting which spots made him draw a sharp breath.

She bent her knees and began moving on him, sliding the length of him slowly, watching the expression on his face when he closed his eyes with a clenched jaw, his lips parting in pleasure. She wrapped her arms around his head and ran the tip of her tongue just above his ear. His fingers clenched her ass tighter, pulling her forcibly onto him with a hard thrust of his hips to meet her.

"I want you, Lex." She breathed into his ear. "Make me... come."

That wasn't what she was going to say, but caught herself at the last second. Lex told her once that he could make her love him, she had laughed, not believing him at the time. But now she wasn't so sure.

He growled deep in his throat and rolled them both to the floor of the limo, raising above her only long enough to thrust back down hard and deep. Chloe moaned at the guttural sound from his throat, touching something primal within her. She clawed at his back, nipping gently at his shoulder when he lowered himself deeply into her. She was rewarded with another deep throated rumble as he slammed himself into the back wall of her core.

"Lex! Now! Oh God! Now!" she cried out passionately with her head thrown back, her nails digging into his shoulders before she felt herself burst with hot juices and blinding ecstasy. "Lex!"

Lex barely heard her outbursts, despite her being quite loud. He had waited so long to hear her say that she wanted him, dreamt of it, wished for it, patiently worked at making it happen that when she finally spoke those words into his ear he lost all control of himself.

He had ravaged her almost brutally. Nothing existed but the feel of her surrounding him, tight and pulsating. A slight pain in his shoulder brought him back, making him realize she was clawing at him in a fevered frenzy, meeting him thrust for thrust and wanting more.

He shifted slightly higher above her as he sunk into her as deeply as he could go. She welcomed him with a fiery heat, exploding around him while screaming his name. He followed her orgasm with his own, shouting out in a roar of release before collapsing on top of her with breathless exhaustion.

After a few minutes he picked her up and moved to the cushions of the limo, making room for her to settle down in from of him on the seat after he laid down. She assumed the position against him that had become so familiar to both of them, his arm easily going around her shoulders as her head rested on his chest.

"Where do we go from here, Chloe?" he asked in the silence. Lex knew it was a double edged question, but he was curious to see what her answer would be.

"Hmm?" she sounded dreamily then picked up her head to look at him. "You 'always' do that!" she exclaimed, her voice barely a whisper. "Why do you insist on waiting until I'm almost asleep before you want to talk?"

He chuckled lightly, a broad smile on his face. "Because this is when you're the most amicable."

"Oh 'really'?" she replied with feigned indignance. She stared into his eyes for a moment before laying her head back down. "Then don't ever stop. I like laying with you like this." She raised her face to him once more. "I like knowing that no matter what happens during the day, I can have your arms around me when I go to sleep."

She raised herself slightly to kiss him fully on his lips. It wasn't a sensual kiss, or provocative either for that matter, but it told Lex how her feelings had changed toward him since they had returned home from the island.

'God, you're so close, Chloe.' Lex thought with her lips on his. 'Not quite there yet, but almost.' She pulled back to looked at him with her eyes brimming with her fondness for him. "You didn't answer my question." he stated aloud. "Where do we go from here, Chloe?" he repeated at her questioning look.

"Nowhere." she smiled, her eyes dancing. "I like it right here." She dipped her head to nip gently at his neck. Licking a spot just right, a pleased smile forming on her lips when Lex inhaled sharply then moaned with pleasure.

He shifted his body slightly and stretch his arm to hit the intercom button. "Driver. You might as well go home. Come back for the car in the morning."

"Yes, Mr. Luthor. Have a nice night, sir."

"Thank you, I will!" Chloe said lightly into the speaker. They heard the man chuckle knowingly as Lex turned off the intercom.

Lex brought his arm down around Chloe. "Now, where were we?" he asked with a grin.

"I believe we were somewhere between here..." she nip/licked at his neck again, getting the desired reaction from him. "...And here." Reaching down to take hold of his cock in her hand.

"I thought you wanted to go to sleep?" he teased, his breathing suddenly heavy.

"I'm being amicable." She grinned at him. "You should take advantage of it."

He groaned, wrapping his arms tightly around her, and rolled them to the floor for more room. "As you wish," he said, nuzzling her neck.

End 9/10

tigerbaby
13th October 2003, 07:10
Originally posted by Gemkat5@Oct 13 2003, 12:56 AM
'Exasperating to the end,' he thought cynically and rolled onto his back taking her with him.

"But that was so good!" she argued. "You could have changed my mind if you wanted to, why didn't you?"

"Well then I'm giving you a wish upfront. I wish for you to not listen to me if I ever tell you no again!"

These lines had me cracking up. Even in the middle of consumating their relationship, they won't let go of the banter. If I had me some naked Lex, I wouldn't be able to think let alone form a coherent sentence. :blush:

"Hmm?" she sounded dreamily then picked up her head to look at him. "You 'always' do that!" she exclaimed, her voice barely a whisper. "Why do you insist on waiting until I'm almost asleep before you want to talk?"

And this is so true. My ex used to want to hold 'meaningful' conversations just as I was about to fall asleep. Why don't you want to talk when I'm awake???

Gemkat5
13th October 2003, 07:43
Tigerbaby,

Isn't that the truth though?!?! My Ex did the same thing!

But Lex is cute when he does it...so, I for one can forgive him some sleeplessness! :sunny:

I'm glad you like the story!

~Kat~

Sab_Luthor
13th October 2003, 11:28
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
COME BACK
MORE
COME BACK
MORE
UPDATE
PLEASE
SOON

asharnanae
13th October 2003, 19:58
:biggrin: Fantastical!!!!! :worship2:

happy bunny
13th October 2003, 21:15
That was adorable! :biggrin: I especially loved the end.

kirt30
14th October 2003, 00:10
i absouloutly love this fic can't wait to see the last chapter

Gemkat5
14th October 2003, 05:28
Ok, Kiddies!!! This chapter wraps up the 'Are We There Yet' series. I want to thank you all for continuing to read it, and I hope you've enjoyed the fun, tears, suspense, and whatever else I threw into it as much as I did writing it. But all good things must come to an end. This ending is a cliffhanger, and there is no forthcoming sequel in the works. (please consider yourself forewarned) Thank you SO MUCH for all the feed back! I hope everyone has enjoyed this piece, and I hope you continue to read my future posts! :chlexsign2:

~Kat~

Are We There Yet- Part 10
DISCLAIMER: The 'only' thing I claim to own is the insane idea that formed this story. Everything else is borrowed! Including a scene I 'borrowed' from the movie 'Two Weeks Notice'.
SUMMARY: Chloe and Lex admit their feelings for each other, a carnival comes to SV, and Lionel gets a taste of his own medicine.

Are We There Yet- Part 10

A sharp rapping on the tinted window of the limo startled them both from the content quiet they were sharing in each others arms.

"Lex!" Lionel Luthor's voice rang out along with more rapping on the window. "Lex, you step out of there this instant!"

Chloe sprang into motion faster than Lex could stop her to grab at her clothes and frantically pull them on.

"He can't see you," Lex assured her, catching his trousers in mid air as she threw them in his direction.

"And he's not going to either!" she whispered in an urgent rushed voice.

He donned his pants with a casual ease, watching how Chloe completely dressed herself in a matter of seconds. "I have never seen a woman get dressed that quickly in my life," he chuckled good-naturedly. His smile faded though when she turned fearful eyes on him, her face flushed with anxiety.

"Lex! I know you're in there! I can't believe you would hide yourself in the limo just to avoid meeting with me! Now step out from there?!" Lionel bellowed.

Lex moved forward and gathered Chloe in his arms, pulling her back against his bared chest to position her between his knees with his arms around her. "My father doesn't hold a candle to two overgrown lizards, wouldn't you say?" he asked in her ear, helping her straighten her shirt.

"His teeth are just as sharp, Lex," she whispered fearfully. "He's worse than anything that happened to us on that island."

"Maybe," he conceded thoughtfully, resting his chin on her shoulder.

"Fine, Lex," Lionel said with finality. "Have it your way, if you don't want to discuss this misunderstanding you have concerning my involvement with your recent track of bad luck, then so be it, but I am appalled at this cowardice from you!" Lionel stated, smacking the window one last time.

"Do you remember asking me what I was looking for while we were on the island?" Lex asked softly in her ear, completely ignoring his father.

"Yes," she replied softly. "You told me there wasn't anything there for you," she said, and turned in his arms to look back at him curiously.

"I arranged the entire trip as a way to get you alone," he explained, uncertain of what her reaction would be; if admitting his intentions was even a good idea.

"What?" she voiced low and threateningly. "Are you telling me that there never was a survival team? That you knew how dangerous it was and you took us there anyway?!" she half yelled incredulously.

"No, that was my father's doing. I had no idea that it was so dangerous or I would have never taken you."

"Why are you telling me this?" she whispered with uncertainty.

He could feel her pulling away from him, though physically she hadn't moved. But he wanted her to know the truth; he was just having a hard time getting it out. He took a deep breath and resigned himself to lose her completely with what he planned to tell her next.

"I've played a small part in Clark's decision concerning Lana. He's come to me asking for advice and I've steered him away from you, not knowing how much you would be hurt in the process. By the time I realized this, everything was set in motion."

"So all of this was your guilt trip?" she asked, the hurt showing in her eyes and voice. "None of this meant anything to you except to make yourself feel better?"

"No, Chloe, quite the opposite. I wanted you for myself."

She sat back on her heels and simply stared at him. A month ago she would have laughed in his face. She would have been beyond infuriated. She would have told him to go to hell and distance herself from him as much as possible. But they had been through so much together. They had become reliant on each other, at least on the island, and she could deny it all she wanted, but she knew she was falling in love with him.

"What are you trying to say, Lex?" she asked quietly, her expression guarded but hopeful.

He was suddenly overwhelmed with having to face his feelings and admit them aloud. Every part of his being screamed 'don't say it'. His mind went into automatic defense mode, closing his heart from the uncertainty, the fear of seeming weak, the possibility of being rejected.

He met her gaze. Her eyes were filled with hopeful anxiety as they searched his, waiting for him to answer her. He watched as they became guarded, shutting him out when he took too long to reply.

"I want you..." he said in a rush, then paused, fighting with indecision to tell her how much he wanted her, how much he cared for her, how much she became a part of his life.

She smiled warmly at him, her shoulders relaxing, her eyes becoming soft as she gazed at him. "Well, they're not the three words I'd like to hear right now, but I'll take them."

She moved to him, straddling his hips as she took his face in her hands. "Maybe someday you'll get there, and you'll be able to tell me how you really feel, but for now I'll admit that I want you too."

"Almost there, Chloe, almost...," he said in a whispered breath as she closed her lips over his to kiss him deeply.

~

The group of friends entered the restaurant and waved cheerfully at seeing the couple already seated at a table.

"May I help you?" the maître d' asked, stepping before them when they moved to enter without an escort.

"We're with the Luthor party," Clark replied.

The maître d' turned to see Lex acknowledge his consent with a nod, then proceeded to show them to the table. "Right this way, please."

They greeted each other as they reached the table, Lex standing to give Lana a friendly peck on the cheek, while Clark pulled her chair out for her.

"You look very nice," he complimented.

"Hey thanks," Pete quipped with humor. "It's not Sunday best, but I was told no jeans so..." he shrugged with a grin. "This is my girlfriend, Gina," he said introducing the young lady by his side, as he pulled out a chair for her to sit down.

"I already know everyone, Pete," Gina laughed. "We all go to the same school, remember? And I've worked at the Talon for three months now."

"I know that, I was just being polite."

"He just likes introducing you as his girlfriend, Gina, don't let him tell you anything different!" Chloe said with a laugh.

"So, what's the special occasion?" Clark asked, glancing from Lex to Chloe.

"Do we need a special occasion for friends to meet for lunch?" Lex countered lightly.

"When it involves fancy clothes, a limo ride, and a five star restaurant in Metropolis?" Pete replied. "Yea, I'd say it was a special occasion."

Chloe and Lex chuckled, glancing at each other knowingly.

"I think I liked it better when Pete didn't talk to me," Lex joked.

"That can be arranged, Luthor!" Pete joked back laughingly.

"This wouldn't have anything to do with the two of you being together for six months, would it?" Lana asked suggestively.

"Six months?" Clark chimed. "Has it been that long?"

"As a matter of fact, it has," Chloe beamed.

"You're not pregnant, are you?" Pete asked Chloe.

"Pete!" the others exclaimed disbelievingly.

"What? I'm simply asking a question!"

"No, I am not pregnant." Chloe replied pointedly.

The waiter came to the table to serve the salads Lex preordered, placed a basket of warm rolls on the table and asked if they were ready to order. As though they forgot where they were, everyone picked up their menus and placed their orders with quick decisiveness.

"To alleviate the suspense," Lex stated after the waiter left. "We are 'partially' celebrating our being together for six months. We know that we've shocked most of you when we openly started seeing each other, and that it hasn't been easy for you, as our friends, to put up with us."

Everyone at the table paused at eating their salads to watch as Chloe and Lex casually picked things from each others plates while Lex spoke. Chloe swapped her onions for Lex's cucumbers, Lex tossed his croutons onto Chloe's plate with his fingers and picked up her olives.

"That's an understatement," Pete mumbled distractedly, meaning to make a joke but was too engrossed at what they were doing to deliver the full punch.

"So we're really celebrating you guys still being our friends more so than us still being together," Chloe continued, ignoring Pete with accustomed ease as she dug out a missed olive, poked Lex with her elbow, and put it in his mouth with her fork.

"So this is our way of saying, 'thanks'," Lex finished explaining, while chewing, then glanced around the table. "Is something wrong?" he asked at seeing how they stared at them.

Chloe looked up curiously as a round of no's quietly went around the table, each of their friends shaking their heads, and suddenly paying too much attention to their food. Lex and Chloe glanced at each other questioningly, then shrugged before continuing to eat.

"I heard a rumor that we might have a carnival in Smallville," Lana said, and glanced around the table. "Does anyone know if it's true or not?"

"As a matter of fact," Lex replied. "It is true."

"Oh my god, a carnival!" Gina boomed with excitement. "When is it? Are there going to be rides? And cotton candy?"

"Oh, and funnel cake?" Lana added dreamily.

Lex chuckled, "It doesn't take much to get them excited does it?" he asked rhetorically, looking at Pete and Clark.

"I think I should warn you," Pete stated lightly, looking at Lex. "That Chloe's very competitive when it comes to carnival games!"

"So I've heard," Lex replied with a smirk, his eyes bright as he looked at Chloe.

"Lex and I have a bet," Chloe said with a daring smirk. "If I win fifty prizes to donate to the children's hospital in Metropolis, then Lex will tell me what he's been planning as retribution against his father for stranding us on that island."

"Wow, talk about competitive," Clark voiced with a low whistle.

"I hate to say it, Chloe," Pete breathed. "But I think you've met your match where it comes to being competitive!"

"Oh I don't know," Lana added whimsically. "Knowing Chloe the way I do, she won't quit until she makes him eat every word. I hope you're ready to fess up, Lex." Lex laughed as he forked more food into his mouth.

"I hope 'we' get to hear this devious plan too," Clark said. "If she wins that is."

"Well, I could always extend the bet to include the rest of you, if you like," Lex challenged good-naturedly.

"No thank you," Lana laughed. "You can count me out! That's why I like having big strong boyfriends. To win the prizes for me," she said, smiling coyly up at Clark.

"Oh, that is just so... 'pink', Lana!" Chloe exclaimed.

"Pink?" Lana voiced questioningly. "What does that mean?"

Everyone at the table smirked or chuckled under their breath, wiping their mouths with their napkins.

"It means you're being you," Clark said in a complimentary fashion and kissed her on her cheek. Leaving Lana to wonder if it was truly a compliment or not.

~

"So, is everyone having fun?" Lex asked as he and Chloe approached the two couples who were standing in line for more funnel cake.

"This is great, Lex!" Pete boomed. "You 'have' to check out the Tempest! That ride rocks!"

"I think I'll pass," he replied with a smile, pulling Chloe closer to his side with his arm over her shoulders.

"Hey, how's the bet going?" Clark asked.

"I had to literally pull her away to take a break!" Lex laughed.

"I'm up to thirty-four, and I am 'not' done yet!" Chloe said with determination. "Though I have to admit, my arm needed the rest." She smiled up at Lex and gladly met his lips with hers when he leaned toward her.

"Thirty-four? That's it?" Pete asked. "Sounds like you're getting soft, Chloe."

"No, I just keep getting distracted," she answered, smiling at Lex. "We're heading over to the Ferris Wheel, anyone want to join us?"

"Ooh, the Ferris Wheel," the friends chimed knowingly, smiling at each other.

"What's wrong with the ferris-wheel?" Lex asked warily.

"You don't 'know' about the Ferris Wheel?" Pete asked unbelievingly.

"Look at his background, Pete," Chloe said, in Lex's defense. "So, no, he 'doesn't' know about the Ferris Wheel." She stated, her tone more than a little suggestive that she didn't want him to find out yet.

"Oh, right," Pete quipped, getting her message. "The Ferris Wheel is great, Lex, you'll love it!"

"On that happy note, let's go!" Chloe said in a rush and tried to move Lex away from their friends.

"No, wait. What is 'wrong' with the Ferris Wheel?" he insisted.

"Nothing is wrong with it, Lex," Clark explained. "It's a ride that couples like to go on so you can make out when you get stuck at the top."

"Stuck at the top?"

Realization came to Clark and he looked at Chloe. Who was shooting daggers at him with her eyes. "Oh, you didn't want him to know that." He looked back at Lex. "It really is a cool ride though, Lex. I'm afraid of heights and even I go on it. That's how safe it is."

"See?" Chloe voiced. "Now will you go on it with me?"

Lex looked at her and could tell it was important to her for him to do this, whatever her reason. "Lead the way."

Clark breathed a sigh of relief after they walked away.

"If you think Chloe is going to let you slide for that big mouth of yours, you're nuts!" Pete exclaimed. "And since 'when' are you 'not' afraid to go on the Ferris Wheel?"

"Clark? Did you just lie to Lex?" Lana asked with an intrigued grin at seeing Clark's uncomfortable expression.

Clark looked at Lana shyly and shrugged. "Well if it helped Chloe to get him on the ride, I figured it wouldn't hurt."

~

"You don't have to do this if you don't want to, Lex," Chloe said as they approached the ride.

"No, I'm game," he replied looking straight up at the top seat as it swung back and forth high above his head. "Besides, I'm fully aware that Clark just lied through his teeth," he said returning his gaze to Chloe. "Which tells me how important this it to you."

"Clark never could lie very well. Are you ready? Our chariot awaits!" she joked, taking his hand to lead him up the ramp.

Lex took another look up at the top seat. "Yea," he replied, sounding uncertain. He met Chloe's eyes and gave her a feigned confident smile, then walked with her to get on the ride.

~

"How many is she up to?" Pete asked, stepping up behind Lex.

"Forty-seven," he answered over his shoulder before turning around. "Where's Gina?"

"I had to take her home, she got sick from going on too many rides."

"I'm sure the carnival food didn't have anything to do with that either," Lex laughed cynically,

"How was your ride on the Ferris Wheel?"

A sly grin formed on Lex's lips. "It was well worth Clark lying for." then he turned his attention back towards Chloe. "How do I get her to quit?" Lex asked after they stood and watched her for a few minutes. She was tired and they both could see it, her aim was way off and they knew her arm had to be killing her.

"I warned you that she was highly competitive," Pete replied.

"Unfortunately your advice came a little too late. She 'knows' I'll tell her what I've been planning, and yet she became unreasonably irate when I suggested she stop."

"How many did she win while she was pissed?" Pete asked with a chuckle.

"Eight," he replied, realizing yet again how well these friends knew each other.

"It's not about whether you'll tell her or not, Lex," Pete stated seriously. "It's about her proving that she can do it. Next time you make a bet with her, lessen the odds so she doesn't kill herself. In the meantime, I think I can help."

Lex watched as Pete casually lumbered up behind Chloe and whispered something in her ear. The incredulous expression that came over her face was priceless. Lex actually thought she was going to hit her friend. Instead, she grabbed another softball and slammed it dead center of the milk bottles, knocking them off the table, and winning another prize.

Pete let out a whooping laugh, Lex could hear the sarcasm in it from way back where he stood. Chloe turned and shoved at him for his facetiousness, then repeated her perfect aim three more times.

Lex walked up to Chloe as Pete laughingly backed away and said good night. He gave Lex a wink as he walked by with a smile.

"That makes fifty," he said casually, stepping up behind her.

"Fifty-one actually," she countered, reaching for the stuffed animals the girl at the stand handed her and put them into a box to be delivered to Metropolis.

"Then you get to keep one," he joked, smiling at her.

"Oh, gee, what I've always wanted, 'another' stuffed animal that I won for myself."

"Chloe..."

"It's ok," she said, cutting him off. "I'm used to it!" she added, looking up at him with a bright smile.

He saw through that smile as though it were made of glass. Something inside her wanted to cry. He didn't understand what it was, and he wasn't about to try, but he wanted to soothe that hurt.

He motioned for the girl at the stand to hand him a ball. He played with it in his hands for a minute to get the feel of it before pulling back his arm and throwing it, knocking down all three milk bottles.

"I thought you said you never played these games," Chloe accused him lightly, her face full of awe.

"I haven't," he replied with a grin. He pointed to the stuffed prize he wanted and turned to hand it to Chloe.

"Its customary for the girl to pick which prize she wants," she said with an amused smirk.

Lex looked at the stuffed T-Rex in his hand and shrugged. "I want you to have the lizard," he quipped. "It should hold some sentimental value for you, shouldn't it?"

She stepped up to him and wrapped her arms around his neck, raising herself up on her tiptoes. "It does, thank you," she whispered emotionally and then kissed him fully on his lips. She returned her feet flat to the ground and took the dinosaur from his hand. "I think I'll put a pocket in the stomach," she beamed, looking up at him. "and put my cell phone in it."

"Funny you should mention that," he stated casually, wrapping his arm around her to lead her to the car. "Wait until I tell you what I have planned for my father."

"Is it something devious and shrewd?" she asked with a hopeful glint in her eyes. "Overtaking his company, maybe? Leaving him penniless?"

"Better than that," he beamed at her. He stopped suddenly and pulled her into his arms, kissing her deeply until they were both breathless. He took her face gently in his hands and met her eyes with serious intenseness. "I feel as though I'm where I belong when I'm with you, Chloe."

Her heart melted as she stared into his eyes. His words touched her more deeply than if he had just said what she knew he meant. She pressed herself close against him, his arms wrapping firmly around her.

"Right now, I'm where I always want to be," she replied, and met him halfway for another searing kiss.

~

"This is ludicrous!" Lionel Luthor yelled at the top of his voice. The helicopter jolting severely once again in mid-air. "I demand that you turn around at once!"

"I can't do that, Mr. Luthor!" the pilot yelled back to his passenger. "The only way to avoid this thing is to fly over the island itself! Trust me, I've done this before!"

The pilot turned the chopper inland and kept a steady altitude as he flew toward the higher land mass. Hovering over the peek of the mesa he shifted the controls, making the chopper rock precariously and pushed a button under his seat.

"We've sustained damage, Sir!" the pilot yelled as black smoke billowed around the helicopter. "You'll have to jump! I don't know if I can land it safely!"

"You are out of your mind if you think I'm going to..."

The chopper was hit suddenly with a jolting thud, Lionel caught a glimpse of something huge flying past his window from the outside.

"It's trying to take us down! You must jump now!"

Lionel grabbed the door handle and pulled it open, filling the cabin with black smoke that smelled of petrol. He focused on the ground below, and surmised that they were about twenty feet in the air. Glancing skyward, he saw what looked like an overgrown bird of prey circling above them. He took a deep breath and jumped out the helicopter to land on his feet then roll on the hard surface of rock.

The pilot glanced out his window and saw the man getting to his feet, brushing himself off with an indignant arrogance. He reached over to the seat next to him and grabbed a duffle bag to toss it out the opened door. He repeated the motion with the second bag before pulling up to a higher altitude and flying out over the ocean.

He pushed the button under his seat once more, the black smoke ceasing at once. "Have a nice trip, Mr. Lionel Luthor!" the pilot laughed with absolute enjoyment. "I'll see you in a couple days! If you survive that is!"

Lionel adeptly dodged the packs being thrown down at him, swearing the pilot was 'trying' to hit him on purpose. He watched from his vantage point as the chopper flew off, trailing a black billowing cloud of smoke behind it. He thought for sure it was going to crash into the water when the smoke suddenly ceased and the machine raised in altitude, continuing on its way and leaving him stranded on the island.

"Lex, I swear to all that's holy, you will pay for this!" he swore under his breath just as a large shadow blocked out the sun above him.

~THE END~

Val
14th October 2003, 06:11
That was great! Loved the stuffed animal scene! :D

autumngold
14th October 2003, 07:19
I just found your story today and love it!! :wub: Thank you for leaving Lionel on the island at the end! That was perfect! Great story :chlexsign1:

Queen Of Tact
14th October 2003, 09:37
I loved it..... The story was sweet and wonderful........ I can't wait to read what u have next for us.....

CC

tigerbaby
14th October 2003, 15:05
MWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

That was excellent Kat. The ending was just fabulous. FABULOUS.

hfce
14th October 2003, 15:09
That was great :clap:

Hope ;)

Sab_Luthor
14th October 2003, 17:08
great ending for a great fic
congrat :clap: :clap: :clap:

jaded-swan
14th October 2003, 20:32
Oh my wow! Haha... that was brillant! Having Lionel trapped on that island is the perfect revenge... would really like to know what Pete told Chloe to get her all worked up though... :blinkkiss:

kirt30
14th October 2003, 22:59
i loved this fic hope you do a sequal to it

asharnanae
15th October 2003, 01:29
:biggrin: HEHEHEHEH!!!!! that was a great story!! love the ending a nd lionels comeupance! loveit!!!!!

buffiy18
15th October 2003, 05:23
Jurassic Chlex… I love it :wub:. This fic had all the elements of a great story… humor, romance, action, suspense, oversized lizards with big teeth, and sweet revenge against Lionel. Loved it :wub: . I'm very glad I stumbled upon it. :chlexsign3:

gina
15th October 2003, 10:05
That was a lovely fic. :wub:

I hope to read more Chlex stories by you :)

deessedelune
15th October 2003, 13:14
This was a great fic. I can't believe I waited so long to read it.

Great job!

ghostwriter
17th October 2003, 00:12
Oh yeah Oh yeah. Up yours Lionel :devil: mwahahahahah

sylvia
30th October 2003, 16:29
"That's all right." He grinned leaning back in his chair. "I like to think it's in the stomach of an eight foot lizard. I call it every few minutes to make it vibrate just to give the bastard indigestion."

I just love that line! It's so Lex. The plot's a little surreal, but it did manage to sustain my interest, and I like the way you wrote the conversations between Chloe and Lex. Nice work ;)

SinnerSaint
4th November 2003, 06:20
I laughed so hard when you left Lionel on the island ! That was just great . The whole story was great . Plus I love a competitive Chloe . Comedy, romance and danger ... this story had it all !

Sab_Luthor
4th November 2003, 13:55
that was so hilarious
i read it x times and like the first time i was dead and i :pclol: (each time) and the story between lex and chloe was so lovely
thanks for a great fic

peepsRfun2eat
5th November 2003, 07:12
that was a great fic. but when they were talking about chloe and lex eating off one another salad's plates, and lex was eating onions and olives. all i could think was bad breath, sorry probably just me. :goof: any who loved the story and plot and it had so many great lines that had me LMAO.

Shay
20th December 2003, 19:57
What a great story! I loved it.

katspell
21st December 2003, 18:19
:biggrin: I loved it, especialy the part with the stuffed lizard. Just because a girl can do something for herself doesn't always mean she wants too. It was sooo sweet!!!! :wub:

Death to Lionel!!!!!

krissilee06
22nd December 2003, 23:23
I loved your story! Great job, I hope you write more! I especially loved the part when lex said the thing about calling his cell phone because he likes to think that its in the lizards stomach and it gives him indigestion, hehe, so funny! Oh yeah, I really liked how you ended it w/ lionel on the island......I hope he gets chased and eaten.....a screaming lionel, running from giant lizards.....wow! thats funny to imagine! :biggrin:

Ainur
27th November 2004, 06:07
It was very entertaining. Great job!!!

chril1
28th November 2004, 16:05
i laughed the whole way through.

anyone else hear sequal? unless you've done one already as you did write it over a year ago.

love lea
xxx

meeaz
14th June 2005, 21:40
yay for you story! thank goodness you left lionel on the island. good job!

arkakitty
17th June 2005, 13:08
The end was great. Just what Lionel needed. Loved it :)

darkangel
9th July 2005, 09:38
This was a very funny fic. I really liked it.

ggdoll18
19th July 2005, 03:14
loved it!!!!

elitekat
12th July 2006, 02:41
I'm a lil sad to know that this story is at an end. I feel like there should be a sequel. I enjoyed the way you got Lex and Chloe together. Their chemistry is outstanding and relationship development was gradual and believable. Thanks for sharing your gem with us. :)

Esther25jm
12th July 2006, 07:44
OMG, sweetie, that was fantastic!! I love the idea of Chlex getting stranded on an island together and surviving through it, love the limo scene (yummy), and that ender....oh man, the MB deserved it. Great job!!

~*~Tasha~*~
14th July 2006, 08:34
ROFL!! Oh my gosh. I laughed at the way things ended. That was funny. Good story, and I wonder if he'll make it. LOL. Good Chloe/Lex interaction. The scene at the restaurant with Gina, Pete, Lana and Clark was a good one too. I liked Lex's confession in the limo as well.

Kit Merlot
1st March 2010, 20:15
I loved every minute of this story!

The Chlex banter was witty and sexy, the action/adventure moments were exciting, scary and highlighted just how brave Chloe and Lex are, and the romance was developed extremely well.

Wonderful work:D

elementia
6th March 2010, 05:22
hilarious!!!
the phone in the giant lizards belly was a nice touch.
I wonder if it had the same ringtone as the phone in jurassic Park.
:)

Ami Rose
5th February 2013, 17:52
Lmao amazing