PDA

View Full Version : [Christmas] How Chloe Saved Christmas ( NS Advent Calendar 2009 PG-13)

kimbo
27th December 2009, 23:06
How Chloe Saved Christmas

Advent Calendar 2009

Pairing: Chlex

Rating: PG-13, Humor, Romance, Holiday

Summary: I am not alone at all, I thought. I was never alone at all. And that, of course, is the message of Christmas.

Pre-lude

He remembered Every Christmas. He remembered his earlier years when his mother was alive and healthy. Those were his good Christmases. Then there were the Christmases post accident. The Christmases when his mother was sick both mentally and physically. He remembered the disappointments. The loneliness. His father’s subtle cruelty. Those were the worst. They were the worst because he always hoped. He always hoped that the next Christmas would be better than the last. It never was. So now he was bitter and annoyed and angry. Lex Luthor hated Christmas.

Chloe knew Lex hated Christmas. She just didn’t know why. Maybe it’s because his childhood sucked. Maybe it was a Luthor thing and it was a rule that holiday cheer was not in their vocabulary. All whys aside, Lex was generally not a happy person, but he wasn’t mean, and she knew that deep down inside there had to be someone who had at least a little bit of holiday cheer. Chloe loved Christmas and this Christmas was going to be a good one. She didn’t care how much Lex hated Christmas. It was her destiny to make him enjoy it. This month, Chloe Sullivan was going to save Christmas!

12/01

Part 1

“Good morning Metropolis! It’s December first and Christmas day is just a few weeks away. Don’t you love Christmas in Metropolis Mike?”

“I sure do dave. We’re going to be Ho Ho Hoing it up this month and i-“

Crash!

The very expensive alarm clock suddenly smashed against the wall. Lex stared up at the ceiling silently, a migraine slowly beginning to crawl it’s way to the frontal lobe of his brain. It was December. December, which meant tacky decorations, fat men in red suits and all around holiday cheer.

He hated this shit.

He glanced at his nightstand as his cell phone began to vibrate. It was Chloe. He sighed and turned, pulling the covers over his head as he did. He wasn’t in the mood. He should just stay in bed. Not go in. He was the owner of the company; he could do anything he wanted.

Maybe, just maybe he could sleep until January.

He couldn’t sleep until January.

After two more calls from Chloe and three more calls from his executive assistant, he figured staying in bed was not possible. Of course he knew the moment he walked into Luthorcorp Towers it was a mistake.

The first thing he noticed was the cheerful rendition of Jingle bells softly playing over the lobby’s speakers. His eyes strayed to the decorations of garland and tacky tinsel hanging everywhere. He glanced over at the crew who was putting up the giant Christmas Tree.

He sighed and made a hasty retreat toward the elevators.

“Goodmorning Mr. Luthor.”

He grunted at all of his employees as he walked past check in desk and made his way inside of the elevator.

The elevator ride up to the 110th floor was no better what with the same holiday music playing softly inside the elevator.

Maybe he should just cancel and Bann Christmas for all of Luthorcorp. Yeah. That’s what he’ll do. He drowned the music out as he contemplated all of the scenarios of how he could get rid of Christmas for Luthorcrop, or maybe even the world.

He could feel a smirk forming on his face as he imagined burning every Christmas Paraphernalia that existed.

Yes. That would be grand.

The elevator dinged, signaling his stop and he shook his thoughts. That would be bad. That would certainly bring on a certain hate from his Employees and he had worked hard to erase the stigma that every Luthor was an asshole.

As soon as he walked off of the elevator, he was greeted by Marcy, his Executive Assistant.

“Goodmorning Lex.”

His eyes strayed to the Christmas tree earings hanging from her ears and the snowman pin attached to her jacket. Why did he hire her again?

He walked from the elevator toward his office. “Morning Marcy.”

“Mr. Marsh called and he said that he will be faxing over the appropriate paperwork for your signature.”

“Good.” Lex said.

“Motomato industries takeover paperwork has been drafted and it needs to be reviewed by our legal department. “

“Fine. Have Max give me a copy so I can review it myself as well.”

She nodded as she handed him a folder. She hesitated as she said her next words. “We also have to discuss the staff’s Christmas pa-“

He slammed the door in her face.

Lex leaned against the door of his office and let out a deep sigh. He moved across the office toward his desk, he needed a drink.

“Hey Lex.”

He nearly jumped out of his skin at the sound of that cheery familiar voice that greeted him.

He turned, suspired to see Chloe sitting on this couch a bright smile on her face.

“Chloe.” He greeted. He placed his briefcase down and sat down at his desk. “How’d you get in here?”

She shrugged. “Marcy.”

He sighed. Why did he hire her again? “What you are you doing here?”

She smiled as she stood up and made her way over toward him. “I called you three times this morning and you’ve ignored my calls.”

Lex raised an eyebrow. “So?” He asked. He asked. “What do you want?”

She raised an eyebrow. “Someone woke up on the wrong side of the bed this morning.”

He glared at her. “Chloe.”

She held her hands up. “Fine. Geez You usually don’t get annoyed with me so quickly.”

He raised an eyebrow. “I usually don’t show it. Now what do you want?”

Chloe smiled sweetly at him as she stood up from her seat and made her way over toward him. “Lex, We’ve been friends for what? Ten years? Eleven?”

“Eleven and a half.” He answered, his tone flat.

She grinned. “So we are friends?”

He sighed. “Chloe.” He said with warning.

“Okay okay. I sort of have proposition for you.”

“No.” He said.

She frowned down at him. “You don’t even know what it was I was going to say.”

He shook his head. “It doesn’t matter,” he said. “I can already tell it’s going to be something I don’t like.”

She sat on the edge of his desk. “Will you just hear me out?” She asked. “Please.” She said in the sweetest tone.

She was doing that tone again. The one where he couldn’t say no to. “Fine.” He said.

“Explain.”

“Okay.” She said. “I know how you hate Christmas, but I have the best idea to make you love it!”

He blinked. Then blinked again. “No.”

Her smile faded and a frown took place. “Come on Lex. This is a great idea. Each year Christmas comes and you turn into this angry thing of a man.”

He frowned. “That doesn’t even make sense.”

She shrugged. “It’s the only way to describe it. You hate Christmas. You literally snarl at people during Christmas season. You and I both know that deep deep way deep down inside that Luthor personality and body of yours there’s a little Lex just crying to come out and enjoy Christmas.”

He began checking e-mails on his computer. “You’re definitely not persuading me with this pitch of yours.”

Chloe was silent for a long moment before speaking again. “I know it’s true Lex. You pretend you’re a scrooge, but you aren’t. I know you aren’t.”

He ignored her, opting to reply to his e-mails instead.

“I know you gave over two hundred grand in money and two grand in gifts to the Metropolis’s children’s group home last year.”

He snorted. “Luthorcorp always gives donations during the holidays it’s good publicity.”

Chloe raised an eyebrow. “I’m talking about the anonymous donation someone gave. Someone meaning you.”

Lex paused in his typing and slowly glanced back at Chloe. He eyed her suspiciously. “How did you-“

She smiled. “I’m an investigative reporter Lex.” She shrugged. “Snooping and digging for info is my job.”

His left eye twitched. He turned back to his computer. “It still doesn’t mean I’ll let you do whatever it is you plan on doing.”

She pouted. “Come on Lex! Don’t be a sad sack. I’m sure whatever trauma you suffered as a child during Christmas time can easily be remedied now as an adult.”

He glared at her. “First of all I hate the term sad sack. Secondly, how can you possibly know or understand what I went through during my childhood?”

She rolled her eyes. “Because you are Lionel Luthor’s son hello? Did you forget that we’ve been friends for eleven years?”

“Eleven and a half.” He corrected.

She slowly grinned at him. “This is the part where you say yes.”

He glared at her smile. “No.”

“Yes.”

“No.”

“Say it. Yes.”

……

“Pleaseeeee. Lex. Please say yes.”

There was that tone again. “What do I get out of this exactly?”

“Christmas spirit!”

He knew he was going to regret this. He knew it. But, he also knew that once Chloe put her mind to something she would never stop. She would try and do it anyway even if he said no. He let out a loud resigned sigh. “Fine.”

“Yay!” She yelled.

He glared harder. “But if I don’t like what you’re doing then it’s done.”

Chloe grinned and held up two fingers. “Chloe’s honor.”

He knew he was going to definitely regret this.

Part 2

12/02

Lex paused in front of the tree park entrance with a deep scowl on his face.

Chloe sidled up beside him with a bright smile. “Here we are.” She said brightly.

Lex scowled as a giggling child ran in between them. “Yes.” He said. “Here we are.”

Chloe grinned as she tightened her scarf around her neck. “Don’t you just smell the pine?” She asked.

Lex gave her an odd look. “And that’s a good thing how?”

Chloe glanced up at him. “Of course!” She glanced back out at the lot. “Now we have to find the perfect tree. Nothing too small or too big.” She reached for his hand and dragged him inside. “They put the good ones in the middle. Come on!”

Lex let himself be dragged into the lot. They stopped in front of a row of tiny trees. He glanced about the tree lot and watched as children ran in and out between trees. “How is this going to get me into the spirit of Christmas again?”

She gave him a funny look. “Buying the tree yourself is the best part.”

Lex crossed his arms in front of his chest. “Couldn’t we have just ordered one of these things over the phone or on the internet?” He stepped back as another child ran past him, nearly stepping on his expensive leather shoes. “There are so many children and people.”

Chloe just laughed and shot him an amused glance. She wasn’t used to seeing Lex like this. So self conscious. He was always able to adapt, no matter what the situation, but she knew all of this holly jolliness was throwing him for a serious loop.

“Poor you.” She said as she wrapped her hands around his arm and pulled him toward a tree. It was a fifteen foot tree with full pine needles. “This is it.”

Lex glanced at the tree in and raised an eyebrow. “It’s small.”

She grinned. “It’s perfect.”

This was a nightmare. Lex was sure of it. This was a never ending nightmare that he couldn’t pull himself out of. This nightmare was pure hell.

It was Walmart.

“Come on,” Chloe said softly. “Grab a cart and lets go.”

Lex looked at her as though she had two heads. “Me? Grab a cart?”

She raised an eyebrow. “You’re the snobbiest person in history Lex Luthor.”

He shrugged. “I’m fine with that.”

She rolled her eyes and reached for the cart. “Come on grumpy.”

Lex glanced suspiciously around the store for the fourth time as he followed Chloe down the isle. He glanced up as she tossed another set of lights into the cart.

“Don’t you think you should be looking at what you’re buying before just throwing it into the cart.”

Chloe snorted. “No. I already have a game plan in mind.” she glanced over her shoulder at him. “I am trying to move as fast I can for your sake.”

“Oh thank you.” he said sarcastically. He pushed the cart forward, hitting the back of her legs as he did.

Chloe yelped and whirled on him with a frown. “Ouch! Lex!”

He hid his smirk. “Sorry.”

She narrowed her eyes at him. “I’m suspicious that you did that on purpose.”

Lex just shrugged. “I’ve never pushed a cart before.”

She ignored him and continued on down the isle. “Lets see. Where is it? Where-ahha!”

Lex watched as she turned, holding a large sized Santa. “What is that?”

Chloe just smiled and pressed the red button.

Lex’s eyes widened as the song Jingle Bell Rock began to emanate from the Santa and the Santa began to dance, shaking his hips left and right. “No.”

She frowned. “But-”

“No.” He said with a glare. “Either no or I call this whole thing off.”

“Fine.” She huffed placing the Santa back on the shelf. “Fun ruiner.” She pouted at him. “That would have been amusing.”

“I thought you were suppose to desensitize me, not murder me.”

Chloe shook her head. “You’re so dramatic.” She held out her hand with a smile. “Credit Card please.”

“I’m sure I’m going to be in Daily Planet gossip column tomorrow morning.” Lex announced as he held the ladder Chloe was currently standing on.

“Well you were in Wal-Mart.” she said. She adjusted the red garland once more.

“I can’t get over the fact that you don’t think its weird that that store sells clothing and food in the same building.”

“I didn’t say that.” She said with a laugh. “There. How does that look?”

Lex eyed the strange decoration. “Cheerful.” He answered.

She grinned as she stepped down the ladder. She smiled as he helped her off of the last rung. She frowned at him when she noticed he was barely through his popcorn on a string project. “Really?”

Lex glanced down at the discarded string. He shrugged. “Sorry?”

Chloe only raised her eyebrow and moved around him. “I guess I have to supervise you don’t I?” She asked as she reached for the string and the bowl of popcorn.

Lex sat beside her and reached for his end of the string. “I know I said this earlier,” he started as he pushed a popcorn through the needle and onto the string. “but this is extremely tacky.”

“You did mention it,” Chloe said with a bright smile. “Thanks for reiterating that you jerk.”

Lex smirked as they continued working in silence.

“There.” Chloe said after a moment “Lets wrap it around the tree.”

Lex half listened to her instructions for him. His thoughts were currently floating toward the past. Truth be told, he had done this before. Many years ago. With his mother. It had been their last Christmas together. He could clearly remember how happy his mother had been as she helped him wrapped the popcorn string around the tree. His father had been away on business, but he didn’t mind. That was usual. He could vaguely remember feeling happy. Well as happy as a child could on Christmas. He hadn’t felt that way in well forever.

He could feel sudden melancholy kick in at the realization that he would probably never feel that way again.

“…your piece.” Chloe finished. “Lex? Hand me your piece so I could tie it.” She paused.

“Lex?” She frowned as she moved from behind the tree. She was surprised to see him standing there, the string he held dangling from his fingers, an empty expression on his face.

“Lex?” She called cautiously. She knew that look. That was the ,I’m in my deep depressing memories look and may freak out any minute. She immediately reached for his hand and squeezed. “Hey.”

Lex blinked once, then twice before slowly looking down at her.

She smiled up at him. “Welcome back.” She tilted her head to the side. “You okay?”
Lex didn’t answer, only silently lifted the string so she could take it. Chloe took the string from him and quickly tied their strings together. She would not push the issue for his sudden silence. She knew it would only annoy him. She knew he would share with her eventually.

She moved from around the tree with a bright smile. “Time for the reveal.” She said excitedly. She leaned down and plugged the tree in.

Lex blinked as the tree brightened, illuminating white, bright green and red. It was beautiful. He looked down as Chloe wrapped her hands around his arm. She grinned up at him.

“What do you think?” She asked.

Lex glanced up at crystal star sitting on top of the tree. “It’s….nice.” He answered.

Chloe squeezed his arm and nodded. “I’d say we’re off to a good start.”

The next morning Lex went into work, the same dancing Santa he had said no to, was sitting on his desk.

12/03

Part 3

Lex discovered he wasn’t as annoyed with the office’s Christmas cheer and decorum as he had been the day before. He was, however, quite annoyed with his executive assistant who had pushed the dancing Santa button the second she walked into his office.
Lex eyed her incredulously as she began to clap her hands and laugh as the Santa began to dance to the tunes jingle bell rock, once again shaking his hips to and fro.

“Oh,” Marcy said happily. “That’s wonderful. It’s so good to see you getting into the Christmas Spirit Lex!”

He blinked at her. “Uh,” He started. “ Yeah.” How the hell did Chloe get into his office anyway? Lex had a sneaking suspicion that his executive assistant had something to do with it.

He narrowed his eyes at her suspiciously and just as he opened his mouth to accuse her she laid a folder in front of him.

“What’s this?”

Marcy smiled at him. “The proposal for the Christmas Party we need your signature.”

Lex sighed as he opened the folder and reached for his pen. “Do I have to read it?” He asked, glancing up at her.

She smiled at him. “Huh? Uh, no. No reading. Just sign your approval for the cost and decorations.”

Lex, still suspicious narrowed his eyes for a moment. “I’d like a copy of this.” he said. “So I can read it myself.” He signed both forms.

Marcy smiled. “Of course.” She took the folder from him and stood up. “Don’t forget you have a teleconference at three.”

Lex watched her go, suspicious as to her strange behavior. Just as he was about to say something, his cell phone rang distracting him.

He didn’t have to look at it to see who it was. “I’m not talking to you.”

“I see you received my gift.” Chloe said softly.

“How did you do it?” Lex asked annoyed . “How did you even get it to stick to my desk that way?”

Chloe laughed. “It’s a secret. I can practically see you pouting over the phone. Plus you shouldn’t furrow your brow so much, it’ll stay that way.”

Almost without trying, Lex felt his face relax. “You do know you’re going to regret this right?”

Chloe laughed again. “Oh Lex come on. It was either the dancing Santa or to have your whole office decorated. I didn’t think you’d appreciate that.”

Lex glanced at the dancing Santa with a sigh. “I guess.”

“See,” she said. “That wasn’t so bad was it?”

….

“Lex?”

“I hate you.”

Lex could only stare at Chloe, who was currently standing in the doorway, a DVD and a box of popcorn in her hand.

“You want me to watch what with you?”

She grinned and walked around him and into the foyer. “You’re going to watch Rudolph the Red nose Reindeer.”

Lex took a deep breath as he closed the front door. “I don’t really have time for this Chlo,” He said as he followed her toward living room. “I have a lot of reports to go over.” he paused in the doorway, watching as she slid her coat, hat and gloves off.

“You can always go over your reports tomorrow at work.” She replied with a grin.

He sighed. “Chloe-”

“Lex,” She cut in. “Remember our deal?” She smiled sweetly at him. “Remember?” she repeated.

He let out an irritated sigh. “Fine.” He murmured.

Chloe smiled. “You know I’m starting to associate that look and that annoyed sigh you keep giving with me.”

Lex smirked at her. “You’re smarter than you look.”

She stuck her tongue out at him. “You get the wine and put the movie on and I’ll pop the popcorn.” She slipped her shoes off and made her way her him toward the kitchen.

Lex stared down at Rudolph who was smiling happily up at him from the DVD cover. “Hey Chloe! Did you buy this move?” Lex asked.

“Yes I did,” Chloe answered as she made her way back into the living room. “I’ve owned it for years actually.”

“That’s sad.” Lex said and she frowned up at him.

“So says the man who owns every Warrior angel comic and movie?”

His smile turned into a frown. “Those are collectibles.”

She smiled sweetly up at him. “Mmhmm. Put the movie in.”

“I would destroy every last one of them.” Lex commented as he watched the other reindeer laugh at Rudolph.

Chloe giggled as she stuffed popcorn into her mouth. “I know what you mean. They’re so mean to him. He only has a red nose.”

“Yes a red nose which makes him incredibly better and more useful than any of those idiots.”

Chloe laughed again. “Lex you’re really taking this to heart huh?”

He took his own handful of popcorn. “Yes, well I do have some experience with Rudolph’s feelings.”

Chloe paused, the glass halfway to her mouth. “I understand.” She said. “Sorry.”

Lex snorted. “For what? It’s only a cartoon. I’m not that PTSD.”

Katara finished off her third glass of wine. “I think you are.” He lied her head down against his shoulder.

“I can’t believe how Marxist this movie is.”

Chloe raised a curious eyebrow. “Oh? And here I thought it was just a story about a reindeer and an elf trying to reach social acceptance.”

Lex shook his head. “No. This story is about the economy of Christmas as much as anything else. The songs the narrator sings are obviously linked to Christmas economy with the monetary system.”

“Mmm.” she said sleepily. “How insightful.”

Lex nodded. “Thank you.”

Lex watched the rest of the movie silently. He snorted to himself as everyone was happily reunited around the Christmas tree.

“Well,” He said as the movie ended. “That was interesting.” He glanced down at Chloe, surprised to see her sound asleep, snoring softly, head resting on his shoulder. He smiled, wine always made her fall asleep.

He stood up and leaned down to pick her up. He made the short walk down the hall toward the guest bedroom. He gently lied her down, and tucked the covers up over her careful not to disturb her.

Her eyes fluttered open. “Mmm,” She said sleepily. “You’re tucking me in.”

Lex sat on the edge of the bed. “Don’t get used to it.” He said quietly.

She grinned. “Wasn’t going to.” She smiled and reached for his hand. “Did you enjoy the movie?”

He shrugged. “It was okay.”

She smiled. “I’ll take that. Wasn’t as painful as you thought it’d be.”

Lex felt an odd familiar twinge when she smiled at him, but he shook it off. “Get some sleep.”

Chloe lifted her hand and caressed his cheek. “You’re my best friend Lex.” She turned onto her side. “Too much wine.”

Lex lifted the covers over her shoulders. “Night drunky.”

Part 4

12/04

“Ha! It says here that you’re go to give a speech.”

Lex rolled his eyes. “Don’t you have somewhere to be?”

“Nope.” Chloe stretched against his couch as she continued to read the Christmas Party proposal. “Ooo they’re going to have Crab cakes for appetizers. Am I invited to this party?”

“Of course.” He smiled. “You can take my place.”

Chloe eyed him strangely. “Lex you have to go to the Christmas Party. You own the company. It’ll be good in the long run. It’s good for employee morale.”

He frowned at her. “I thought that’s what their holiday bonuses were for.”

“Lex,” She said as she slid off of his couch and made her way toward his desk. “Remember that new thing you’re trying with me. You know? Getting in the holiday spirit. That includes participating in the Luthorcorp holiday party.”

Lex sagged in his chair. “You’re unfair.” He complained. “You know it’s been two days and I still hate Christmas.”

Chloe sat on the edge of his desk. “Give it time my friend. Give it time.”

“I’m frightened.” Lex commented.

“You should be.” She said, she reached over and picked up a fancy invitation. She gaspe “What’s this?” She looked up at him. “Do you know what this is?”

Lex looked up from the report he was reading. “Uh, a piece of paper?”

She rolled her eyes. “It’s an invitation to the Metropolis’s Christmas Charity dinner!”

He blinked at her. “Oh yeah.”

“Lex! Only the Metropolis elite will be there. We have to go!”

He frowned at her. “We?”

She nodded. “Yes! You and me. I want to be hobnobbing it with the VIP of Metropolis.”

His frown deepened. “Did you just use the word hobnobbing?”

Her eyes were glistening as she spoke. “I can already see the next issue of my column.” She looked at him with a smile. “Lex, you have to take me!”

Lex, who was going to ask Chloe to accompany him anyway, pretended to consider her words. “Hmm, I don’t know. I was going to ask Chanel if she wanted to go.”

Chloe glared at him. “Chanel? You’re still dating that brainless..” She trailed off and shook her head. “Look, you can always take her to the opera or some such crap. C’mon Lex, don’t make me beg.”

Lex slowly smiled at her. He sure wouldn’t mind seeing Chloe beg.

Chloe narrowed her eyes at him. She knew that look. “Lex!” She growled. “You owe me!”

He gave her a confused look. “Owe you for what?”

She crossed her arms in front of her chest. “Well, I don’t know yet, but I’ll think of something.”

He rolled his eyes.

She huffed. “C’mon Lex!”

He sat back in his chair and smiled. “Say please and I’ll let you attend.”

She pursed her lips. “Say yes and I won’t have to ruin my dress by sneaking through a window.”

He sighed. “Fine.”

She grinned down at him. “Thanks! That wasn’t so hard was it?”

Lex smiled despite himself. “Do you know how impossible you are?”

She patted his shoulder and hopped off of his desk. “No, but I’m sure you will tell me when we watch A Charlie Brown Christmas tonight.”

He frowned confused. “Huh?”

She pushed the dancing Santa button and grinned as It began to sing and dance. “See you tonight!” She called over her shoulder.

….Jingle bell rock.

Lex sighed and glared at the dancing Santa. “I hate you.”

There was something to be said for Lex’s odd enjoyment of A Charlie Brown Christmas. Of course he wouldn’t let Chloe know that he was actually enjoying it on principal alone.

“I hope,” Chloe started as she lied her head down in his lap. “that you understand the symbolism of us watching a Charlie brown Christmas.”

Lex frowned down at her. “Is it because Charlie Brown is bald?”

“No.” she said softly. “Not because of that and besides he’s not completely bald, he has this little tuft of hair in the front that-” she trailed off and shook her head. “Charlie Brown is depressed because Christmas lacks meaning to him.”

“Hmm.” Lex said. “I get it. He’s disgusted by how commercial the Holiday has become.” He glanced down at her. “First of all, I’m not depressed. Secondly, Christmas is a commercial Holiday.”

Chloe just smiled and patted his knee. “If you say so.”

For some reason, Lex bristled at her sarcastic tone. He distractedly played with her hair.

“Pay attention.” She said suddenly. “This is the best part.”

Lex stayed quiet as the two of them watched Linus Van Pelt give his speech on what Christmas was all about.

“….Glory to god in the highest, on earth peace, good will toward men. That’s what christ is all about, Charlie Brown.”

“Linus is very insightful for a kid with a blanket.” Lex commented after the film ended. Chloe sat up and switched the movie off with a smile. She turned to face Lex with a smile.

“So,” she said softly. “You enjoyed that.”

Lex scoffed. “No.”

She raised an eyebrow and moved closer toward him. She poked him in the chest. “Yeah you did. I felt you chuckle more than three times. You liked it. Admit it.”

Lex made a grab for her finger, but she was quick. She poked his stomach and he gave an unmanly shriek. “Chloe!” He said with a gasp when she poked him again. “You’re invading my personal face.”

She laughed and poked him in the stomach again. “Lex we’ve been friends for eleven years I’ve always invaded your personal space.”

“Eleven and a half.” He corrected. He grabbed her wrists. “Ch-”

She kissed him.

Lex stiffened as her lips touched his own. His eyes widened for a brief moment.

Chloe pulled away from his mouth with a soft laugh. They both stared at each other for a long moment.

She looked away from him. “Like incest.” She muttered to herself. She stood up and slipped into her shoes. “I better go.”

Lex silently watched her go. “Chloe?” He called.

She smiled briefly at him. “Tomorrow Lex.”

Chloe closed the door to Lex’s penthouse and leaned against it. Tears pooled into her eyes.

Part 5

12/05

“I honestly don’t get your relationship with him.”

Chloe’s narrowed into the phone. “We’re friends.” She said softly. “Lex is my best friend.”

Lois frowned at her. “I thought Clark was your best friend.”

Chloe raised an eyebrow as she hurried around her apartment. “He’s your best friend.” She shook her head. “He’s your husband remember. Look why are we having this conversation again?”

“This is my monthly, Lex is evil speech.” Lois reminded her.

Chloe rolled her eyes. “You’re just upset that he won’t grant you an interview. Ever. Give it up Lois.” She looked p at the knock on her door. “I have to go. See you at the party.”

She grinned as she opened to door, unsurprised to see the annoyed expression on Lex’s face.

“Your elevator is broken.” He said as he walked further into her two bedroom apartment. “Again.” He glanced around her living room, noting the loud Christmas decorations she had up. A sparsely decorated tree stood in the corner. He frowned.

She smiled at him. “Sorry I forgot to tell you. How was the six flight walk up?”

Lex ignored her, instead opting to take in the red dress she was wearing. “You look…nice.”

She raised an eyebrow at him. “That’s it?” she asked. “Just nice? I scrubbed extra hard behind my ear so I could look at least beautiful.”

“Alright.” Lex said grudgingly. “You look beautiful.” He smirked at her. “Now how do I look?”

She took in the tux he was wearing. “You look nice.” She held out her arm. “Shall we?”

It’s beginning to look a lot like Christmas. Played loudly through out the ballroom.

They had only been there for forty minutes and Lex was ready to go. There was a man dressed up as Santa that Chloe insisted they sit next to. He was pretty sure she had done that on purpose. He was thankful, however for her keeping him away from Lois Lane, who sat beside her husband three tables away. It wasn’t as though he were afraid of Lois, he just wasn’t in the mood to witness her pathetic attempts at roping him into an interview.

He was, however amused at how easily Chloe charmed those around her, trapping them in her web of interviewing. It amazed him how easy it was for her. It amazed him even more that she didn’t need a recorder or pen and pad. She retained every detail, all information and memorized it word for word. She was like a human computer.

He watched as she conversed animatedly with “Santa”, giggling at something he whispered into her ear.

“You know Lex, Bridman Industries has done quite well this quarter, and we’re looking for new buyers.”

Lex glanced over at Harvey Bridman, a small frown on his face. “With respect Mr. Bridman, I’m in no mood to discuss business.”

Harvey raised an eyebrow. “A Luthor not in the mood to discuss business. Well the rumors are true, you are nothing like your father.”

Lex could hear the subtle sneer in his tone and he sighed softly. He turned to respond, ready to cut down Bridman with a quick barb, but Chloe interrupted him.

“You’re right Mr. Bridman, he is nothing like his father.” She smiled sweetly at him before glancing over at Lex. “Did you know that the Santa I’ve been talking to the whole time was the former Mayor?”

Lex smiled. “Interesting.”

“Yes,” Bridman said. “Interesting.” He grasped Chloe’s hand. “Harvey Bridman. And you are Ms-”

Lex felt his eyes narrow when she gave a girlish giggle.

“Sullivan. Chloe Sullivan.”

“Well Ms. Sullivan, I was wondering if you care to dance.”

Lex was sure she was going to decline and was surprised when she stood up, grasping the hand of Bridman and allowing him to sweep her onto the dance floor.

Chest nuts roasting on an open fire.

Lex watched the two them, feeling strange. He watched as Bridman whispered something into her ear and she laughed, throwing her head back with a joyful smile. His fist clenched in his lap. She was suppose to be laughing at his jokes, well if he made jokes. The longer he watched the two of them the angrier he became. He knew, something had changed, but he couldn’t put his finger on as to what.

“Damnit!” The Santa Claus said beside him. “And here I was going to ask her for a dance.”

Lex glared at the pervy Santa Claus before looking back at Chloe. It was time to go.

“I have a month’s worth of columns to write because of that party.” Chloe said excitedly as she and Lex made the six flight trek up to her apartment.

“Hmm.” He grunted.

“Beside that, the food was great and the music. I enjoyed speaking to Mr. Claus. He was very amusing.” They finally reached her floor and she paused to slip out of her shoes. They made their way down the hall toward her door.

“That’s not all you seemed to enjoy.” The words slipped out before he could stop them.

Chloe unlocked her door and slowly turned to look at him. “What’s that suppose to mean?”

“Bridman.” He bit out as he followed her inside. He closed the door behind him. “He was all over you and you-” He trailed off when she giggled. His eyes narrowed. “What’s so funny.”

She didn’t answer right away and he watched as she moved about the room, flicking on lamps. She bent down to plug in the Christmas tree, smiling as it lit up.

“You’re Jealous.” She finally said.

“What?” Lex scoffed. “I am not.” He crossed his arms in front of his chest as she walked further toward him.

“Are too.” She said. She lifted her finger to poke him, but he stopped her. “You are jealous. Admit it.”

He didn’t admit anything. “You could’ve danced with me.” He said instead.

“You didn’t ask me.” she countered. She turned away from him and walked toward her television. She switched it on and turned to the Holiday sounds channel. ‘Have yourself a merry little Christmas.’ Sounded over the speakers. She turned and made her way back toward Lex. She reached for his hands and wrapped both around her waist. She wrapped her own arms around his neck and rested her head on his chest.

They both swayed to the soft music and Lex couldn’t help but feel a bit chagrined at his outburst. The music had ended all too soon and Lex couldn’t help but feel a loss when she pulled away.

They both stared up at each other.

“Lex?” She said quietly.

He swallowed. “Yes?” He said just as quietly.

She smiled coyly up at him. “Will you-” She trailed off.

His hands tightened on her waist. “Yes?” He urged.

“Will you-help me decorate my tree?” She asked with a smile.

Lex gave her a confused frown. “What?”

She moved out of his embrace an moved to pick up three boxes of Candy canes. “You can take the fruity ones since I always end up eating them. I’ll take the peppermint.” She moved around toward her tree and glanced over at him. “Well come on. We had a deal remember.”

Lex blinked at her, the box of Candy Canes hanging limply from his fingers.

Part 6

12/06

There was a fresh blanket of snow outside Luthor Manor.

“What were Alexander the Great’s strength as a military leader?”

Lex wasn’t listening. He was too busy staring out at the window watching as the staff member’s children played in the snow. How he wished his eight year old self could go and join them, but he knew he wasn’t allowed to. He brought his hand up and touched the glass, a small smile coming onto his face as he wistfully watched the other children.

He nearly jumped out of his skin when a hand reached out and clamped over his shoulder. He stiffened when Lionel was suddenly by his ear.

“I asked you a question Lex. Didn’t you hear me?”

His heart pounded at the annoyed tone in his father’s voice. “I-”

“Lex,” His father tsked. “You and I both know that it isn’t proper for a Luthor to affiliate the with the help.”

It was on the tip of Lex’s tongue to start begging, but his shoulders slumped at the look on his Father’s face. “Of course not.” He said and Lionel nodded in approval.

He sighed as his father closed the curtain and his hope for fun.

“Now,” Lionel said handing Lex a piece of paper. “I want a fifty word essay on the question I just asked you.”

Lex swallowed the lump of sadness he felt rise in his throat. “Yes Dad.”

Lionel stared at Lex for a long moment. “I’m only doing this for you Alexander. You’re a Luthor and as a Luthor you must hold a certain standard.”

Lex couldn’t quite understand what it meant when his father said those words, but he nodded his head anyway.

It was twelve in the afternoon when Lex opened his eyes the next day. After his frustratingly odd night he had spent with Chloe, he had arrived home to drink himself unconscious.

Something had changed.

He just wasn’t quite sure what that something was. Although, he was sure that Chloe confused him. It was more than the usual confusion he suffered from when around Chloe. It was a different type. He stared up at the ceiling, the odd feeling starting low in his stomach as his thoughts drifted toward the kiss planted on him out of nowhere.

As shocked as he had been he couldn’t help but think that it was kind of nice. He smirked to himself. He couldn’t help but think, what if?

His smirk turned into a frown. What was he thinking? It was Chloe for goodness sake. She was probably just teasing him and he was not going to ruin their friendship with his weird obsessive stupidity. He turned onto his side and sighed heavily. He hoped Chloe gave him a day off from this Christmas Spirit crap.

He knew he thought too soon when he heard the front door open and slam closed. “Lex!”

“Lex don’t you have any warmer pants than these?” Chloe asked, her voice muffled from being deep in his huge closet.

Lex ducked as a sweater went flying past his head. “Why are you going through my personal belongings again?” He asked.

Chloe emerged from his closet, carrying an armful of clothes. “Because, it’s snowing.” She dumped the clothing onto his bed.

Lex fought the strong urge to lose his mind at the state of his room. Clothes were everywhere. He loathed to face his cleaning lady, Helka, later on. “Snowing?” he repeated. “And?”

Chloe paused in her clothes sorting project and slowly turned to face him. She slowly smiled and placed her hands onto his hips. “You’ve never played in the snow have you?”

Lex stared at her blankly. “I’m sorry?”

She grinned at him. “Snow. Playing. Snow angels? Snowmen? Snow fights and sledding?”

Alarms started to go off inside Lex’s mind as he stared at Chloe. “Uh-” He trailed off as she turned her back to him and started rummaging through the clothes again.

“Eight inches of snow fell last night into the afternoon and more is going to come. I figured if we can hit the hill before dark we’ll be fine.”

He blinked at her. “Huh?”

She held up a thick turtle neck and black pants. “This looks warm enough.” She walked toward him and handed him both items. “Now hurry because we have to get a good spot for sledding.”

His eyes widened. “Sledding? Chloe what does--playing in the snow have to with Christmas Spirit?”

Chloe looked at him as if he had two heads. “It has Everything to do with Christmas spirit.”

It took Chloe a full hour to try and convince Lex to go out and enjoy the snow. It wasn’t as hard she thought it would be once she turned on the huge pleading eyes that she knew he didn’t have the strength to resist.

She glanced over at him as they made their way toward their destination. He hadn’t said a word since they entered her truck and she could tell he was annoyed. “Just so you know, we’re going to this place called The Hills. It’s just outside of Metropolis suburbs. I used to go there when I was a kid. They have the best hills and snow banks.”

Lex only grunted in reply. He had no desire to go gallivanting in the snow. He had no idea how Chloe talked him into these things. He crossed his arms in front of his chest feeling petulant.

They lapsed into an uncomfortable silence. Chloe stared straight ahead at the road in front of her, wondering at the fact that this was the first time this has happened between them in years.

After a twenty minute ride, they pulled up in front of what was called the hills. Chloe grinned as she caught sight of more than twenty kids already sledding down the hill.

“No.” Lex said finally.

Chloe pouted as she looked at him. “C’mon Lex. I promise it’ll be fun.”

Lex glared at her. “If I remember correctly, You agreed with me that if I didn’t like something I’m calling this whole thing off.”

Chloe smiled sweetly at him. “I remember.” She said. “But you already agreed to this.”

Lex glowered at her when she batted her eyelashes at him. He sighed.“Chlo-” He trailed off.

She smiled. “Come on Lex.” She urged. “One time down the hill and if you don’t’ like it we’ll go.”

Lex glanced back out the window, watching as the kids played together. He sighed. “Fine.”

Chloe placed a hand on his arm. “You’ll love this. I promise.” She said with a nod. “Lets-oh wait!” she reached into her coat pocket and pulled out a black wool cap. She placed it onto her head and pulled it down over his ears. “So your head won’t get cold.”

Lex glared at her. “Lets just get this over with.”

“Why couldn’t you choose something for us to do in doors?” Lex complained as he carried his sled alongside Chloe.

“You know you really need to learn how to live a little.” Chloe teased. She shifted her sled in her arms. “What’s wrong with sledding anyway? I did it a lot back when I was a kid.”

He snorted. “I’m marveling at the point that you’re missing the keyword. Kids do this. Look around Chloe. We’re the only adults here. When was the last time you did this anyway?”

“Honestly? When I was sixteen.” They paused at the base of the hill, dropping his sled as Chloe did the same. Making sure they stayed clear of those going down. “Clark, Pete and I did all the time back in Smallville.”

“Heh,” Lex grunted, not particularly caring. He pulled the wool cap down lower over his cold ears. “Lets get this over with so I can go back into the warmth of my home.”

“Last one to the top sucks!” Chloe cried, taking off up the hill. Lex followed her at a more leisure pace, not caring much about sucking.

Finally making it to the top, he stood beside her. He dropped the string of his slay and looked expectantly at her.

“Now what you want to do is-”

“I’m aware of the psychics.” Lex interrupted.

Chloe laughed and hopped into her sled. She pushed off on her own. “Meet you at the bottom!”

Lex watched her and sighed before following her down the hill. Lex’s eyes widened slightly as he went flying down the hill. The wind whipped against his face and he could feel his sled turning slightly to the right and he glared at Chloe as the kids gave him a cheer when he came to a stop.

“Fun huh?” Chloe asked as he stood up on shaky legs.

Lex looked at her, feeling that strange tingle as he noted her bright smile and red cheeks. “We could go again.” He said.

Chloe’s grin widened and she rushed past him, pulling her sled as she went. Lex watched her for a long moment before following her.

Lex wouldn’t admit that he enjoyed going down the second time. Or even the third. But he knew he couldn’t hide the fact that he was grinning after his fifth time. There was something freeing about sledding down a giant snow hill at full speed. He sat down on his sled after the sixth time, content on watching Chloe race the kids down the hill. He nearly jumped as he felt something cold hit the back of his head. He turned and frowned at the young boy who was grinning at him.

“Did you just-” He was cut off as another snowball hit him on the side of the head. He turned to see Chloe standing next to a little girl, giggling. His eyes narrowed. He bent down and quickly made a snowball. He threw it in Chloe’s direction, growling low in his throat when she ducked.

“You need to work on your aim.” The boy who threw the snowball at him commented. Lex glowered down at him and the boy cowered.

“Way to scare the kid Lex.” Chloe commented as she dragged her sled over toward him.

“You hit me with a snowball.” He said.

She grinned sheepishly at him. “You were-” She trailed off as a snowball suddenly hit her in the face. “Hey!”

Lex glanced down at the boy who he had sneered at, surprised to see him grinning.

“You have to aim right for the head. It’s the easiest target.” The boy explained, handing him a snowball.

Chloe gasped and backed up as Lex slowly came at her. “Hey!” she said. “That’s cheating. It’s-” She was cut off as Lex’s perfectly aimed snowball hit her in the head.

Lex laughed as she glared playfully at him.

She rushed him. “You are so dead.” She jumped on him, knocking them both down. She picked up a handful of snow and pushed it into his face.

“Snow fight!!” The young boy yelled and the snowballs went flying.

Chloe laughed and sputtered when Lex put a handful of snow in her face. She screeched when he suddenly rolled over on top of her. Lex sat up and opened his mouth to say something, but a snowball to the head prevented that. He turned unsurprised to see a young girl grinning at him.

“Get them!” Someone yelled and numerous snowballs were hauled at both Chloe and Lex. “Run!” Another yelled when Lex suddenly stood up.

Chloe gripped Lex’s arm as he went in pursuit of the children, stopping him. He glanced down at her, unsurprised to see her giggling, her face red. He smiled down at her.

“Having fun yet?” She asked.

He lied next to her. “Yeah.” He admitted quietly.

She smiled. “Good.” She started moving her arms and legs.

Lex glanced sideways at her. He frowned. “What are you doing?”

“Making a snow angel.” She said.

Lex watched her for a long moment before mirroring her movements. Once finished they both stood up to look at their work.

Chloe wrapped her hands around his arm. “Those are some good looking Snow angels.”

Lex nodded, feeling strangely relaxed. “I have snow in my pants.”

She grinned up at him. “Hot chocolate?” She asked. She leaned down and picked up her sled.

Lex nodded and picked up his sled. “I get extra marshmallows in mine.”

She snorted. “You do know your obsession with marshmallows is top notch news right?”

“Shut up.”

Part 7

12/07

“We also have to discuss your speech for the Christmas Party.”

Lex had been so pre-occupied with figuring out ways on how to get rid of that dancing Santa that he hadn’t been paying attention. “Huh?”

Marcy blinked at him. “The Company Christmas Party. You agreed to make a speech.”

He blinked. “Oh. About that-” He trailed off as she stared at him expectantly. “I’ll get right on that.”

Marcy smiled wide. “Great! You know Lex I just want to say that I think it’s great you’re doing this. I know you aren’t a huge fan of the Holidays.”

Lex waved his hand. “It’s not big deal.” He said feeling embarrassed. His eyes strayed toward the Reindeer broach she had on her green sweater. “Really.”

Marcy just smiled at him and placed a folder in front of him. “It really is.” She said and left.

His computer beeped alerting him that he had an e-mail. He clicked it when he noticed it was Chloe. He frowned when a Christmas tree popped up and the song Oh come all ye faithful played from the speakers.

TO: LxLuthor@Luthorcorp.com

Subject: FWD FWD FWD Christmas Time!!

Christmas time is always the best. Especially if I can spend it with a friend like you. Send this to ten friends and you’ll have the best Christmas!

He frowned at the E-mail. He Didn’t have ten friends. He picked his cell phone up as it began to ring. “I hate that you just sent me a chain letter.”

“Hello to you too.” Chloe replied. “Don’t forget to forward it.”

He snorted. “I’m not participating in something so stupid.”

“Yeah,” she agreed. “It was pretty stupid. But, the message is true.”

He ignored her and changed the subject. “You know I think I’ve been good enough for you to remove the dancing Santa from my desk. Whenever one of my employees come into my office they give me a funny look.”

“That’s just because you’re seeming more human to them. I have a question for you.”

“No.”

She ignored him. “I was wondering if you wanted to go for a ride with me after work.”

He paused before answering. “Where to?”

“Bridgemont.”

He frowned. “That’s forty minutes outside of Metropolis. Why are you going there?”

“We are going there because there’s a festival going on. A Christmas Festival.”

Lex sighed heavily. “I’m not going to be able to get out of this one huh?”

“Now you’re getting it. See you later. You’re driving so pick me up at five thirty.”

“Chlo-”

“Bye!”

Lex stared at his cell phone with a frown. He could take down giant corporations with the blink of an eye, but for some reason he could not say no to Chloe.

He sighed heavily.

“Turn left here.” Chloe instructed pointing to an entrance of a parking lot.

Lex did as instructed, noting that the small town they were was heavily decorated in Christmas theme. “It looks like someone vomited Christmas here.”

She grinned. “Isn’t it great?” She stepped out of the car. “I can’t wait to taste their apple cider.”

“How do you know about this festival?” He asked.

“My dad is from Bridgemont you know. After my mom got put in the hospital, he brought me here during this festival. It was so much fun that we made it a tradition to go every other year.” She glanced up at him. “Hadn’t been here for years though.”

Lex actually didn’t know that. She rarely ever mentioned anything about her mother and he knew it bothered her when she did. “Well I hope it’s as fun as you say it is.” The further they made their way into the town, the more the sound of a band playing Christmas songs can be heard.

She grinned up at him. “Oh it will be fun.” She grabbed his hand and pulled him toward the first booth. “Lets get a candy Cane.” She smiled at the woman behind the booth. “Hi.” She greeted. She glanced at the selection. “What flavor do you want Lex?”

He shrugged. “Peppermint?”

Chloe gave him a strange look.

“What?” He asked confused.

She rolled her eyes and glanced back at the woman behind the booth. “Peppermint is boring.” She said, “One blueberry and one Peppermint please.”

The woman handed her two thick candy canes and Chloe handed her the dollar. She handed Lex his peppermint. “Way to be exciting.”

Lex smirked as he unwrapped his treat. “I’m an exciting kind of guy.”

She rolled her eyes and unwrapped her own treat. She tasted her candy and sighed happily.

Lex eyed her distractedly. Swallowing at the way her tongue snaked out to lick her treat. “Where are we going next?”

She grinned. “Free Eggnog.”

The Eggnog was delicious. Almost as good as his mother’s. he could taste the cinnamon and it had just the right amount of sweetness. He was already on his third cup and he half listened as Chloe recounted a story about Lois getting arrested again for trespassing.

“..I’d never thought I say this, but I’m so glad I’m not in the field anymore. I always felt as though she were competing with me.”

“You write good columns.” He commented after a long moment.

Chloe smiled and reached for her second cup of Eggnog. “You like the Eggnog.”

He smiled softly. “Thanks for pointing out the obvious.” He sighed as he finished off his third cup. “It tastes like my Mom used to make.”

Chloe raised a surprised eyebrow. “Really?” She wanted to hear more, but didn’t want to push.

He nodded. “She would make Eggnog every night the week before Christmas. I would drink so much that I’d get a stomach ache.” Those were good times. Times he hadn’t thought about in years. Lex found that thinking and talking about it didn’t bring on the usual bout of depression he usually got. He looked down when Chloe placed her hand on his arm.

“You miss her.” She said softly and he nodded.

“Always.”

After the eggnog, they sat through an hour long Christmas cat pageant that Chloe forced him through, they had walked through the hall of lights. Lex couldn’t help but feel amazed by the shape that those lights took. Now they sat down to eat dinner and they were sharing the table with an older couple.

“I think the cat dressed up as Santa should’ve won hands down.” Chloe said.

Lex shook his head. “No. I think Mrs. Claus was the right winner. She was-exciting.”

She laughed. He smiled at her and took a bite of the dessert he was eating.

“How long have you two been together?”

They both looked up at the older woman and Chloe choked on the piece of cake she swallowed. Lex reached over and patted her on the back.

The older woman smiled at them, patiently waiting for an answer.

“Uh,” Chloe started. “We aren’t-”

“We’ve been together for years.” Lex interrupted. “We’re engaged.”

Chloe eyed him as if he had two heads. “I-”

“Come on honey.” Lex said with a smirk. “Don’t be shy.”

The older woman nodded with a smile. “That’s wonderful! But if you don’t mind me asking, where is the ring?”

Chloe blushed and glared at Lex, frightened that they were going to be caught lying.

“I’ve been saving up for a special ring.” Lex lied easily. “I’ve been fortunate enough to meet someone where money isn’t an issue.” He smiled and reached for Chloe’s hand.

“Yes.” Chloe agreed. “I don’t need a ring.”

The older woman grinned. “That’s so sweet. Isn’t that Henry?” She asked her husband who just grunted in return. “I’m dolly.” she said introducing herself. “This is my husband Henry.” Her husband grunted again.

“I’m Chloe.” she said. “This is Lex.”

“Chloe?” Henry finally said. “Like the song.”

Chloe grinned. “Exactly. I was named after that song.”

Dolly smiled. “How did you two meet?”

Chloe glanced at Lex, surprised at the expression on his face. “He saved my life.” She said softly.

Dolly grinned at the two of them. “Oh you two are just too cute. I have to take a picture for the scrap book.” She pulled a camera out of nowhere. “Come on. Kiss her.” She said.

Chloe glanced over at Lex who suddenly looked like a deer in headlights. She elbowed him and he blinked.

He leaned over and kissed her cheek, blinking as the flash blinded him.

“Oh come now!” Henry said softly. “You can do better than that.”

“Yeah Lex,” Chloe said. “You can do way better than-” She was cut off by his mouth suddenly being pushed against her own.

Lex’s lips moved softly against her own. Her eyes slipped closed as his hand came up and rested against her cheek. The flash from the camera did not stop their kiss. Just as she felt his tongue brush against her lips, she pulled away.

They stared at each other dazedly.

“Well, that was nice. That’s gonna be a sweet picture.” Dolly said as she packed her camera away. She smiled at Chloe. “The Apple cider contest is coming up soon. I’d like you to be a guest judge.”

Chloe blinked and swallowed before turning to face Dolly.

“Okay.”

Dolly nodded and stood up.

“I didn’t know you were named after an Elton John song.” Lex said conversationally.

Chloe just glared at him and stood up from her seat.

Lex watched as she made her way to the judging table.

“You sure are lucky.” Henry said. “She’s a beauty.”

“Yeah.” Lex said as she watched Chloe speak animatedly with Dolly. “I guess she is.”

Part 8

12/08

He hadn’t seen nor heard from Chloe for two days. One part of him was happy about hat because that meant he had gotten a break from the Christmas spirit crap. The other part of him, well, missed his friend.

He frowned down at the report he was reading. He had called her four times already and each time his call went straight to voicemail. He wondered if she was angry at him, but he couldn’t pinpoint as to why she would be. She had been strangely quiet on the drive back from that festival two nights ago, and she had given him a curt goodnight.

He was confused and he despised confusion. His relationship with Chloe had taken a turn somewhere and he couldn’t figure out how or why. He wasn’t good with social cues. He couldn’t pick up as to why Chloe would be upset with him. He closed his folder with a growl, unable to concentrate.

He stood up from his chair and walked toward the window to stare at the view overlooking the city.

What was she doing? What did he do wrong? Was their friendship over? These were the things that Lex wondered as stared out at the city below. His fists clenched by his side as unmistakable panic began to set in. He and Chloe’s friendship had been the longest friendship he’d had his whole life. Now that he thought about it, Chloe had been the only true friend he had his entire life.

He turned abruptly and picked his phone up, dialing a number he thought he would never dial.

The person answered on the third ring. “Lois Lane.”

“Lois,” He said slowly. “Can you tell me if Chloe-”

“Who is this?” She cut in teasingly.

He sighed heavily. “It’s Lex.”

“Hmm.” she said. “Lex. Lex Luthor?”

He gritted his teeth. “Where is Chloe?”

Lois sighed heavily. “I thought you would know since you are her best friend.”

“No.” He said through gritted teeth. “I haven’t seen or heard from her in two days.”

“Oh.” Lois said, clearly not caring. “That’s odd. Well, not really considering-”

“Considering what?” Lex asked angrily. “Just tell me if she’s okay!”

“Fine.” Lois sighed. “She’s at home sick. She caught a bad cold.”

His eyes closed as the tension suddenly drained from his body. Perhaps their friendship wasn’t ruined.

“But I don’t think you go and see her. I don’t think she wants to see anyone.”

He response was simply hanging up on her. He had a sick friend to take care of.

She had planned on not seeing Lex for a least a week and getting this cold was the best excuse for that.

She had needed a small break from him. She was beginning to think that she had bitten off more than she could chew.

She shook her head and sneezed. No. she didn’t bite of more than she could chew. She was just being her usual Chloe self. Wanting something that she couldn’t have. She had thought she had long buried her school girl crush on Lex and placed him well and truly in the friend zone, but to no avail.

It was happening again. She had always been attracted to Lex. Will always be attracted to Lex, but she never felt this way. Showing Lex the spirit of Christmas. Seeing him actually enjoying himself. Seeing glimpses of his happiness. She couldn’t help but wonder. She couldn’t help but to get the fluttery feeling inside whenever he smiled.

That was one of the reasons she’d kissed him. He had been smiling. Genuinely happy and his lips had been- Her thoughts trailed off and she groaned, wincing as her groan turned into a loud coughing fit. She didn’t know what was more embarrassing. The fact that he didn’t kiss her back or the fact that she thought he would.

She shook her head and reached for another tissue. She blew her nose. She had cried about that. Then she had cured herself of her moment of weakness and buried the fact that she felt any type of romantic feelings for Lex. Then he had kissed her that night at the festival, drudging up everything.

She was pissed at him for that. Knowing Lex, he probably had no clue what he had done. Knowing Lex, he was probably pissed that she didn’t answer any of his phone calls and was on his way to her apartment right now.

Just as the thought passed through her mind, there was a knock on her door.

She glared at her door. “Shit!”

Lex lifted his fist to knock again, but trailed off when the door suddenly flung open. He lowered his fist as he took in her appearance. Her eyes and face were red. Her hair up in a haphazard ponytail. He noted the Candy Cane pajamas she sported. He repressed a smile.

“You look terrible.” He said.

She sneezed and blew her nose. “I feel terrible.” She coughed. “What are you doing here?”

He held up a bag. “I brought soup. Plus, you owe me a movie.”

Chloe stared at him for a long moment. “You’ll get sick.”

He glared at her. “I never get sick Chloe you know that.” He sighed heavily. “Are you going to let me in or what?”

She pouted. “Chicken noodle?”

“Of course.”

“And you’ll put all of the spices that I like in it?”

He smiled. “I always do.”

She nodded and moved to the side so that he could enter.

She was silent as she watched him move toward the kitchen and began pulling out the cans of chicken noodle soup.

“What movie did you want to see?”

He frowned at her as he easily moved around her kitchen. He pulled out a pot. “I bought a movie” He opened up the cans of soup and pour both into the pot before reaching into her cupboard for the cayenne pepper and soy sauce. “This is disgusting by the way.”

Her answer was a sneeze.

He placed the pot onto the stove and glanced over his shoulder. “You’re not giving up on me now are you?” He put the top onto the pot and made his way back into the living room. “We had a deal. A deal that I’m not really allowed to break.”

She sneezed again, then coughed.

He sighed and made his way back into the kitchen. He grabbed a glass and poured her some orange juice. He walked back into the living room. “If I’d known it only took a cold to shut you up I would have slipped you germs long ago.”

She giggled at that and he smiled. “I made you laugh.”

She sipped her juice. “The world is ending.” She answered. She sighed happily as the liquid helped her parch throat. “Thanks.” She said and he nodded. “What movie did you bring?”

He reached over for the bag he bought with him and pulled out the DVD. He held it up. “Gremlins.”

She choked on her juice as she laughed. “Gremlins?”

“What?” he said with a confused frown. “It’s Christmas themed.”

She laughed and nodded. “That is true.” She pointed to the TV. “Put it on.”

“Gizmo is so cute.” Chloe commented as she tasted her soup. She smiled. It was just the way she liked it. “This is really good.”

Lex gave her a sideways glance. “Well if I ever lose my company, I’ll have something to fall back on.”

She finished off her soup and placed the bowl onto the table. “I will personally endorse you.”

She snuggled up against him, folding her legs underneath herself. She smiled as Lex passed her a blanket. She frowned at the screen as the Gremlin’s began to form from their cocoons. “Gross.”

“Yeah.” He said with a grin. “That’s the best.”

She rolled her eyes and reached for the tea he had made her. “You’re such a guy. You do know this is the opposite of Christmas spirit?”

“No.” He disagreed. “There’s a cute fury animal with a Santa hat on as well as a Gremlin dressed as Santa. Plus the whole movie is set during the Christmas season.”

She blinked up at him. “You think Gizmo is cute?”

He turned away from her to look back at the screen. “Don’t tell anyone.”

She smiled at him. Her head felt stuffy and congested, but happy. “Thanks for taking care of me.”

He gave her an uncomfortable smile. “Yeah well, you’re my best friend.”

Her smile widened. “You never said that to me before.”

“Don’t tell anyone.” He said softly. He smiled. “Do you want more soup?”

“No.” She said. “I’m good.” She smiled and lied her head against his shoulder. Nothing was solved, and Chloe knew that Lex probably had a whole host of questions that she wasn’t ready to answer today. No. Right now she was going to enjoy her movie and ignore their lingering issues.

Part 9

12/9

“..Every time a bell rings, an Angel gets his wings.”

“Ugh!” Lex groaned and Chloe elbowed him.

“Lex! This film is a classic.”

“This film is torture.” He complained. “It’s depressing. Here you have a guy who sacrifices everything for people. Who plans on becoming all of these great things but becomes nothing when his wife secretly wishes him to stay and it comes true. Now he’s a nobody loan officer who is now depressed and suicidal.”

Chloe smiled. “Oh you’re so pessimistic.”

“I’m just a realist.”

She rolled her eyes. “So am I, but I can clearly see the meaning of this movie. It’s about finding happiness in your own back yard. It’s about even though you aren’t a very important person, you’re important to those who love you. It’s about understanding your worthiness.”

He raised an eyebrow at her and she sighed.

“fine, it is depressing.” She glared at him. “Way to ruin It’s a Wonderful Life’ Lex.”
He smiled triumphantly. “All in a days work.” He poured himself another glass of wine. He offered Chloe some and she shook her head. He reached over and switched the movie off as the credits rolled. “So…” He trailed off.

“Ice skating!” Chloe said suddenly.

He frowned. “Ice skating?”

She smiled as she stood up. “I almost forgot that Bowery Park opened up their skating rink this afternoon. Let’s go.”

Lex stared at her as if she had grown a third head. “Chloe,” He said slowly. “I’m not going ice skating with you. I already did ridiculous things in the snow with you. I’m not…” He trailed off at her expression. “But, I’m tired.”

She rolled her eyes. “C’mon.” she cajoled.

He tried for a different tactic. “I don’t have skates.”

She grinned. “We can rent them.”

He balked at the suggestion. “Rent? I’m not putting my feet in a place where someone else had their feet!”

She giggled and shook her head. “What are you going to do then Mr. Snob?”

“I’ll just call Jeffrey-”

“Jeffrey?” She asked. “You gave him the rest of the night off! C’mon!” She gripped his hand in her own and pulled him, protesting, out of her apartment.

“This is barbaric.” Lex complained as he tied the black skates he as forced to rent.

Chloe gave him a sideways glance. “So says the man who likes to eat tuna fish out of the can with a fork.”

His eyes widened as he looked around. “You said you would never mention such a thing out loud.”

Chloe rolled her eyes and stood up. “Do you know how to skate?” She asked.

He stood up. “Of course I do.”

He couldn’t skate.

Lex didn’t understand why he keeps letting Chloe put him through such embarrassment. Maybe it was because he wanted to prove to her that anything she came up with would not make him enjoy Christmas. It was all about the principal.

‘Or maybe it’s the fact that you’re actually enjoying yourself.’

He frowned at that. He certainly didn’t enjoy embarrassing the way he was currently doing right now.

“Left then right. If you lean forward a little you can gain a little momentum.”

Lex did as instructed, gripping her hands tightly in his own as he stumbled, nearly losing his balance. He glared at Chloe as she steadied him with a giggle.

“Whoa!” She said, skating backward. “Lets just pick up speed. So you can get a good momentum.”

He gritted his teeth. “If you mention the word momentum one more time.”

She ignored him. “You want to glide against the ice Lex. Not shuffle. Glide.”

“I’m am gliding!” He growled. He was shuffling. “You’re going too slow.” He complained.

“You’re squeezing my hands really hard.” she complained with a wince. “I won’t let you fall Lex.”

He loosened his grip at her words. “Sorry.” he muttered.

“It’s okay.” she smiled. “You’re getting a bit better at this.” She skated backwards.

“Am I?” he asked and she nodded.

“Yup. You haven’t fallen in a whole five minutes!” Just as she said that, a group of skaters quickly skated by, nearly knocking into the two of them. Lex stumbled forward and his arms wrapped around her waist, bringing them both down to the cold ice. They slid a few inches.

“Amateurs!” One of the kids yelled as they skated past.

Lex glared at the little punk and he tried to stand up to go after him, but slipped back down again. “Damn!” He glanced over at Chloe who lied next to him, her hands on her face. Her shoulders were shaking and for a moment he thought she was crying until he heard the faint giggle from behind her hands. “It’s not funny.”

“Oh it is!” She giggled. “He called us amateurs!” She laughed, holding her stomach. “Oh man.”

Lex glared at her then lifted his head to search for the little kid. “I’m gonna find out who that little shit was.”

Chloe sat up onto her elbows and shook her head. “He’s just a kid Lex.” She giggled. “You are an amateur you know.” She laughed again at the despondent look on his face.

“You’re impossible.” He said with a small laugh.

She laughed again. “I guess ice skating was a bad idea huh?”

“Worst idea ever.” He agreed. He slowly stood up from the ice, slipping slightly as he did. “Lets get out of here.” He held his hand out and she took it. They both slipped again. Lex sighed as he stared down at Chloe. “Remind me to thank you for this later.”

“…..All right, listen up guys. ‘Twas the night before Christmas, and all through the house, not a creature was stirring, except…the four assholes coming in the rear of standard two-by-two cover formation.”

“Why did I let you choose Die hard again?”

He sipped at his hot chocolate. “Because you owe me for making me go ice skating.”

“Oh yeah.” She said softly. “Well it is Christmas themed. Minus all of the murder and killing. I’m picking the movie next time.”

He only grinned.

“Why’d you kiss me?”

Chloe paused, the mug of hot chocolate halfway toward her mouth. She knew the question would come up sooner or later. Leave it to Lex to spring up the question at such a random time.

“Uh-what?”

“The other night.” He said. He sipped his hot chocolate. “You kissed me.”

“At the Festival or-”

“The first time.” He cut in.

She laughed. “Oh. That. Well I was-curious.”

He frowned at her. “Curious?” He asked softly. “I don’t understand.”

Chloe sighed heavily and paused the movie they were watching. “Look Lex. We’ve been friends for eleven years.”

“Eleven and a half.” He corrected automatically.

“I wanted to know what your lips felt like so I kissed you.” She shrugged and continued the movie.

Lex, unsatisfied with her answer, reached for the remote and paused the movie again. “You were upset with me the night I dropped you off after the festival. Why?”

She sighed. “I was not upset with you. I really wasn’t upset at all.”

“Hmm.” Was all he said.

Chloe looked at him, unsurprised to see him assessing her. She swallowed. “You kissed me at that festival.”

“You kissed me back.” He countered.

“Well I couldn’t help it. You said we were engaged.”

He shrugged. “I couldn’t let Dolly’s hopes down.” He glanced at her. “Chloe,” he said. “If I did anything to-make you upset or angry you’d tell me won’t you?”

She smiled at the earnest look on his face. “Of course Lex We’re friends.”

He smiled and nodded. He continued the movie. “It was a nice kiss.” He said after a long uncomfortable silence.

Chloe looked at him startled. “Uh, yeah. It was.” She sipped her hot chocolate, feeling a certain ache in her heart.

Part 10

12/10

“Luthors don’t hide Lex. Just because you look weak, doesn’t mean you have to be weak.”

The cruel words echoed through his mind as he hurried toward his hiding spot. He had to get away. He couldn’t take the stares and the whispers anymore.

“Alexander?”

‘Not Now.’ He thought desperately He closed his eyes and wrapped his arms around his legs. He didn’t want his mother to see him them way. He could hear her footsteps getting closer.

“Sweetheart?”

He knew she would find him. She always found him. He hastily wiped at his tears as the coat room door suddenly opened and the light switched on. “Lex?”

He kept his head bowed, face buried in his knees as Lillian sat next to him. He could smell the sweet scent of her perfume.

“I saw you leave sweetie. You looked upset.”

He didn’t respond and she sighed softly. “Do you want to talk about it?” She asked and he shook his head.

“No.” he said quietly. He tensed when she suddenly placed an arm around his shoulders. He slowly relaxed when she pulled him into her arms.

“My wonderful brave Alexander.” She said quietly. “I love you.”

He could feel his tears starting up again and he closed his eyes tightly. “Mom.” He wrapped both arms around her waist.

Lillian held her son as he cried softly. She stroked his bald head. “I will always love you.” She whispered quietly. “Never forgot that.”

He pulled away and wiped his tears. “I’m sorry for crying.”

She frowned at him. “Don’t be sorry Lex.” She wiped his remaining tears. “Never apologize for something you have no control over.” She placed her hand over his cheek. “I have a surprise for you.”

He perked up a bit. “What is it?”

Lillian smiled as she handed him a carefully wrapped gift.

Lex carefully unwrapped his gift and his eyes widened. “Mom!” He squeaked. It was the very first edition of Warrior Angel. He looked up at her. “How?”

She shrugged with a smile. “It wasn’t that hard. Do you like it?”

Lex laughed as he wrapped his arms around her. “This is great!” He grinned. “Can I read it?”

She laughed and placed her arm around his shoulders. “Of course.”

Lex carefully placed the Warrior Angel costume back into it’s sleeve with a small sigh. This had been the best Christmas gift he had received.

Christmas had been his mother’s favorite holiday. It had been his too.

He took a sip of the brandy he was nursing. He was fallen into another depression. He could feel it. He was quite familiar with the signs.

“You’re doing that, I’m depressed so I’m going to get drunk and stare into the fire all broodingly thing again.”

Lex nearly jumped out of his skin at the sudden sound of Chloe’s voice. He turned, surprised to see her standing in the doorway of his den. “How’d you get in here?”

She rolled her eyes. “You gave me a key like five years ago remember? When you finally stopped being secretly paranoid of me.”

He only turned away from her. “Well, go.” He said rudely. “I’m not in the mood tonight.”

She ignored him. “I think we should decorate in here.” She said instead.

If looks to kill she would be dead on the spot. Beside the bedroom, this was the only place in his penthouse that he could actually rest without being overwhelmed with Christmas crap. “No.”

She pouted and walked further into the room. “Lex-”

“Chloe, I really don’t want to be bothered.” He cut in. He took a sip of his drink. “Please go.”

She frowned at the back of his head. “Not until you tell me what’s bothering you.”

He didn’t respond.

She stepped closer toward him. “Lex?”

….

“Lex?”

….

“Fine.” She sighed. “Then I’ll just sit here in this chair, and hum until you tell me. Hmm, lets see. Oh! How about that dancing Santa’s favorite. Jingle bell rock.”

Lex gritted his teeth as she began to hum happily. “Chloe-” He trailed off as she hummed louder. “Damnit Chloe!”

She stopped humming and glared at him. “Yes?”

His eye twitched.

She sat forward. “If you could just tell me what’s wrong I-” She trailed off as she caught sight of the Warrior Angel comic. “Oh.”

“Yeah, oh.” He turned away from her. “You can go now.”

She frowned and stood up. “Just so you know,” She said. “You’ve hurt my feelings.”

Lex didn’t turn as she stalked from his den. Slamming the door closed as she went.

“At least I have my peace and quiet back.” He muttered, but he couldn’t shake the guilt that was steadily creeping up into his conscience. “Shit.” He hissed and stood from his chair. He yanked the door open, surprised to see Chloe standing in the doorway a small smile.

“I’m good at this guilt thing huh?”

He glared at her. “You’re evil.”

She grinned at him and held up a small Tupperware bowl. “I baked cookies.”

Lex blinked at her. Then blinked again before reaching for the bowl. He opened it and frowned. “Bloody spear heads?”

She rolled her eyes. “They’re Christmas trees! I didn’t have green frosting.”

Lex sampled her cookie and was surprised at how good they tasted. “It’s good.” He said and she grinned.

“Shortbread. I have to actually make a batch of sixty of them. You can help me!”

Lex sighed and didn’t bother resisting.

He burned the first ten cookies.

“You left them in too long.” Chloe explained with a patient smile. She tossed the cookies out. “Lets try again.” She handed him another freshly cut sheet. “Ten minutes.” She said carefully. Chloe continued to put the frosting on her batch, watching him silently. He barely said two words to her since they started to work. She hated when he got like this, but she understood. He was thinking about his mother and it never failed that he would fall into a funk when he did.

“Why are we making these cookies?” He suddenly asked as he sprinkled sugar on the frosted cookie she handed him.

“We’re having a Christmas pot luck lunch at work.”

He frowned. “What the hell is a pot luck?”

She laughed. “It’s where people bring in their own dishes.”

“Oh.” He said as he placed the cookie in the glass Tupperware she had brought with her. “Sounds thrilling.”

“I just hope Lois doesn’t bring anything. She can’t cook.”

He smiled at that and she grinned. Score one for her.

As fast as it happened, the smile was gone and he reached for the next cookie in silence.

They worked quietly for a few minutes.

“You miss her.” She said suddenly, unable to keep quiet for long.

He paused in his work, and for a second it looked as though he were going to snap at her, but thought better of it. “She-She always knew how to make me feel okay. No matter what the situation. She was so strong and loving and determined.” He turned and took his cookies out of the oven. He held them up to Chloe for inspection.

Chloe smiled. “They’re perfect.” He nodded and placed them onto the counter to cool.

He looked away from her. “You kind of remind me of her.”

Chloe looked at him clearly taken aback. “I wish I could’ve met her.”

He picked up another cookie to pour sugar over it. “She would like you.” He sighed. “Thank you Chloe.”

Chloe gave him another surprised look. “What for?”

He shrugged. “I think it’s better that I wasn’t alone. Encase you’ve forgotten, even though I’m way older, I can still be as destructive as ever.”

She smiled as she placed a hand on his shoulder. “How can I forget?” She asked. “Now put the next batch of Christmas tree cookies in the oven.”

Lex snorted. “Slave driver.”

Part 11

12/11

“So if I choose two songs then it’s five percent off of the final price.” Chloe asked as she took down notes. “Okay. Um, no. No I don’t think he’d sit for two songs. Okay do one song instead. Mmhm.” She looked up and waved as Lois sat down on the edge of her desk. “Yeah, don’t worry I’ve already spoken to management there they should be able to get in there with no trouble. Thanks!” She hung up.

“So let me guess,” Lois said. “Another surprise for Lex?”

Chloe grinned and she nodded. “I’ve hired a singing telegram to sing a nice Christmas tune to him.”

Lois shook her head. “I don’t know hi or why he deals with you.”

Chloe smiled sweetly at her cousin. “Because I’m easy to love. I mean, look at me. Can you ever get tired of a cute face such as this one?”

Lois snorted. “Yeah right.” She said. “I’m surprised he hadn’t called off your friendship altogether the way you’ve been torturing him.”

“I’m not torturing him.” Chloe said defensively. “And Lex wouldn’t do that.”

“Hmm.” Lois responded. “Why don’t you just tell him.”

“What?” Chloe said, a small frown on her face. “Tell him what?”

“How you feel.” She shook her head. “I mean it’s so obvious.”

“What’s so obvious?” Chloe asked nervously. “What are you talking about?”

Lois raised an eyebrow. “Seriously?” She laughed and shook her head. “You’re doing that thing again.”

Chloe shook her head. “What thing?”

“Denial. You’re so good at it.” Lois gave her a sideways glance. “So you two never--” She trailed off.

Chloe’s eyes widened. “Lois!”

Lois held her hands up. “I’m just saying. Being friends with someone like Lex for eleven years-”

“Eleven and a half.” Chloe corrected.

“And a half years and you two never? I mean not even--”

Chloe crossed her arms in front of her chest. “No Lois. Friends don’t do those type of things.”

Lois gave her a haughty look. “Friends with benefits do. Which is what Smallville and I were way before we started actually liking each other. My advice to you would be to get out of the friend zone before you ruin your life.”

Chloe glared at her cousin. “Ruin my life?”

Lois nodded. “Yes.”

“And how, pray tell would that ruin my life?”

Lois crossed her arms in front of her chest. “It’s already in motion. You haven’t seriously dated a guy in eight months. The last three serious boyfriends you had all broke up with you because you were weirdly close to Lex Luthor.”

Chloe shook her head. “That’s not true. Lex had nothing to do with that. It was-”

“It was what?” Lois cut in. She shook her head. “It was Lex. It is Lex. It will always be Lex.”

Chloe gaped at her.

“Look,” She said with a sigh. “You know Lex. You’re his only friend. His best friend, and he doesn’t seem like the type of guy to share easily. You can either get up the guts and tell him how you really feel or you can stay in the friend zone, be miserable and end up never having a healthy romantic relationship ever again.” At that she turned and walked away, leaving a speechless Chloe alone.

“…Had a very shiny nose!”

He was going to kill Chloe. This was the official end of their friendship.

“…Had a very shiny nose!”

Lex stood awkwardly in the lobby of Luthorcorp as his singing telegrams sang a jaunty tune of Rudolph the red nose reindeer. They were costumed in eighteenth century Christmas clothes. He looked around, noticing the crowd was slowly beginning to form around him. The glare he sported slid from his face as he realized the happy smiles on his co-workers faces.

He sighed and turned back to the singers.

“…you’ll go down in Hisstttorrrry! From your darling friend Chloe.”

He was going to kill her.

“Happy Holidays.”

“I’m going to kill you.”

She laughed. “Oh. You didn’t like my surprise?”

“I didn’t even know they did singing telegrams anymore.”

“Yeah me neither.” She said. “You wouldn’t believe the hours upon hours I put in on finding them.”

“You’re impossible.” He said.

“And you’re not really upset.” She cut in.

“It amazes me how you can guess what my feelings are.” He said with heavy sarcasm. “How did you even pay for that?”

“Umm. Well you actually paid for it with the card that I never gave back to you.”

“Why am I not surprised?” He asked.

“It was a surprise for you!” She softly. “I did it to make you happy.”

“Trying to run the guilt trip on me are you? Well it’s not going to work. I can easily ignore my guilty conscience when it comes to proving you wrong.”

“Fine.” She said with a sigh. “You didn’t like it just a little bit?”

“No.” He answered honestly. “My employers liked it.”

“See.” She said. “I bet you’ll be more endeared to them. You know, more human. Expect a lift in productivity.”

He snorted.

“I’m serious. They’ll see that someone else cares enough about you to do something special for you.”

“Tell that to my strange urge to kill you.”

She laughed. “Well at least you’ll have a way less depressing memory of Christmas season now.”

Lex paused for a moment. “I hadn’t thought of it that way.” He said. “I suppose when I think back on this I’ll cringe.”

She giggled. “I have to go and Lex?”

“What?”

“You’re welcome.”

Lex hung up without responding. He shook his head as he realized he was more amused than angry. He frowned as he realized his automatic responses to Christmas were starting to get all mixed up.

Chloe paced nervously around her apartment. Lois’s words from the other day echoing loudly In her mind.

Was she ruining her chance at a romantic relationship with another guy simply because she was unconsciously waiting for Lex? She and Lex are best friends. They spent a lot of time together and she could readily admit that some of her romantic relationships failed because of their friendship.

She couldn’t pinpoint how though. Every time she had gotten serious with a guy, Lex had always backed off. Well, whenever she allowed him to. Thinking back on her last relationship, she could remember inviting Lex over to dinner and the awkwardness that ensued for Greg, her boyfriend at the time, but she could clearly remember not caring.

She also remembered comparing the two against one another. Like the fact that Greg was a slob and Lex was a neat freak. But still, those things still didn’t explain why- Her thoughts came to a sudden halt. Wait a second.

It was her. Her eyes widened. She was the reason for the destruction of her relationships.

It was her own fault for not getting laid for the past six months. She was undeniably holding out hope for her best friend. She paused in her pacing and sat down. She put her head in her hands.

“Shit.”

She nearly jumped out of her skin as there was a sudden knock at her door. She quickly stood up and made her way toward the door. “Shit.” She muttered. She had forgot she invited Lex over for dinner.

She pulled the door open, surprised at the annoyed expression on his face.

“Your elevator is broken. Again.” He moved into her apartment and she noticed he had his briefcase and laptop with him.

“Hello to you to.” She said as she closed her door. “You brought work with you?”

“Sure did.” He said as he placed his briefcase down onto the coffee table and laptop bag onto the couch. “Because of certain distractions, I haven’t been able to keep up with my work.”

“Hmm.” she said as she moved around him. “I hope I’m not one of those distractions.”

Lex just smiled at her and she didn’t bother to deny the flutters his smile gave her. She cleared her throat and watched as he set up his little office space.

“I’m making lasagna.” It was his favorite. “You can help me make the fruit cake.”

Lex paused as he pulled out his papers. “I hate fruitcake.”

“That’s because you haven’t tasted my fruitcake. It has real dried fruit as opposed to that candied crap other people use. I use rum. You like alcohol.”

“You had me at Rum.” Lex replied as he began to review work contracts.

One serving of lasagna, two servings of Fruit cake, and five glasses of wine later found Chloe and Lex lounging lazily on her couch.

“That fruitcake was-” He trailed off. “Great.”

She giggled. “I think you poured too much rum in it.”

“That’s why it was great.” He said as he leaned back lazily. “The lasagna was good too.”

Chloe smiled at him over her glass of wine. “Yeah.” She said softly. She could tell by the lazy smile he sported that he was getting sleepy. “I have a question for you.”

He sighed. “Okay.”

She placed her glass down onto the table. “Okay.” She said quietly. She put down her glass of wine. “What if-” she trailed off at his groan. “What?”

“I’m too fuzzy to go through one of your what if scenarios Chloe.”

She frowned at him. “Fuzzy? Really?”

He sighed. “Fine. Go. What if?”

She grinned. “Okay. What if I met someone. A guy.”

His eyes were getting lower. “Uh huh.”

“And I fell in love with him and then married him. What do you think?”

…..

She turned to look at him, unsurprised that his eyes were closed. “Lex?”

He snored softly.

She sighed heavily as she watched him sleep. He had on his favorite colors. Black on Black and she found it highly attractive. She always did. She tilted her head as she watched him sleep. He looked peaceful, the usual frown lines now gone from his face. Her eyes strayed toward his lip. She felt the familiar flutter in her stomach as she remembered the texture of his lips. The way they moved against her own. The way her tongue touched his cut.

It was too late for her to realize what she was doing until her lips touched his own. She yanked back quickly and closed her eyes tightly.

“Chloe?”

She opened one eye, unsurprised to see Lex sleepily watching her.

They both stared at each other before moving, their mouths meeting each other halfway. Their lips moved against each other in a slow kiss. Chloe sighed as he placed his hands on either side of her face, deepening the kiss. Her own hands moved, fisting in his sweater as she pulled him closer. She felt his tongue brush against her lips and she opened her mouth, moaning as his tongue brushed against her own.

It had been way too long for Chloe.

She didn’t know how it could happen so fast, but one minute she was sitting up and the next she was on her back, Lex hovering above her, his mouth devouring her own. She wrapped her arms around his neck and pulled him closer.

Finally for what seemed an eternity of kissing, they broke apart. They stared at one another, panting heavily and Chloe swallowed nervously from the obvious lust in his eyes.

She bit her lip. “We should stop.” She whispered.

Lex looked away from her for a moment. He looked back down at her and she was surprised at how easy It was for him to collect himself. He moved off of her and she sat up.

They silently, awkwardly both sat next to one another.

“That was interesting.” Lex suddenly sat and she gave a small smile.

“That was beyond interesting.” She said. She gave him a sideway glance. “Maybe we’ve had too much to drink.” She said, giving him an easy out.

Lex returned her look. “Maybe you had too much to drink.” He corrected. He stood up. “I should go.”

Chloe stared up at Lex, trying to decipher what it was he was thinking, but he had that blank expression that she hated so much. “You’re driving?” She asked.

“No. I’ll call Jeffrey.” He answered quietly. He turned away from her. “You should go get some rest Chloe.”

Chloe glared at him, not liking the feeling of being dismissed in her own home. “Shouldn’t I wait with you.”

Lex glanced at her over his shoulder as he pulled out his phone. “No. You rest.” He gave her a strained smile. “Thanks for dinner.”

Chloe eyed him suspiciously. So they were just going to ignore what just occurred. Fine with her. “I’m still taking you ornament painting tomorrow.” She said as she turned to walk down the hall toward her bedroom.

“I’d expect no less.” Lex replied.

Chloe closed the door to her bedroom and leaned back against it. She couldn’t shake the feeling that something was not right

That was a hell of a kiss though, and she was definitely going to waste the rest of her sleeping time on fantasizing on how it could have gone further.

Part 12

12/12

Lex paced nervously in his living room as he thought about what happened between he and Chloe. It shouldn’t have happened. It was wrong. It was…It was great.

He groaned and sat down, placing his head in his hands. This was bad. He hadn’t meant for that to happen. But he couldn’t help himself. Her lips had been particular soft that night and he couldn’t stop himself.

He wanted her. He wanted Chloe. His best friend.

It was all wrong. Romance with Chloe would be a disaster because he was a disaster. Romance with Chloe would mean an irrevocable end to their friendship.

He couldn’t lose Chloe. What was he going to do?

Chloe had woken up the next morning in the best of moods. After a night full of fantasies and after she stopped feeling so pathetic for fantasying about Lex, she had decided not to live in denial much longer.

She wanted Lex. She wanted to be with him. She wanted everything. The only problem was she was too afraid to get what she wanted.

Lex liked Tall, skinny, brunettes. She was neither tall nor skinny nor brunette. She was just Chloe and she was quite familiar with rejection. She looked down at her hands as she thought of the certain pain she would feel from Lex rejecting her.

So it was settled for her then. She wouldn’t do anything out of the ordinary. She would act as if things we back to normal.

Even though they so obviously weren’t.

To say things were awkward between Chloe and Lex as they met up for their Ornament painting class was an understatement.

He could barely look at her and she couldn’t help but feel a little bit offended.

She tightened the belt around her coat as the cool night air rushed through her. “So-” She started after the long stretch of silence. “See any good movies lately?”

Lex huffed out a laugh and he glanced at Chloe for the first time that night. “Chloe-” He trailed off when she shook her head.

“Lets don’t.” She said softly. “It was a moment. The moment and when we look back on this later one we’ll both be able to laugh about this.”

Lex gave her a look that clearly said that he didn’t believe that, but she just grinned and wrapped her hands around his arm. “Oh look we’re here.”

Lex looked up at the community center building. “How’d you find out about this anyway?” He opened the door for her and she stepped through.

“I wrote a column about it three years ago. I always drag Lois along for a class every year.”

He followed her down the hall. “There won’t be, you know, people will there?”

Chloe laughed. “No. I made a special request. You’re a regular social butterfly huh?” They reached the class they were going to use.

Lex shrugged. “Well I try.”

A woman dressed in Christmas themed clothes from head to toe smiled as they entered a room. “Chloe!”

Chloe grinned as she pulled the older woman into a hug. “Anne. It’s great to see you.” She pulled away and indicted Lex. “This is-”

“I know who it is.” Anne cut in with a grin. She smiled. “It’s nice to have you here Lex.”

“Thank you.” Lex said, shifting uncomfortably.

“Is everything all set up?” Chloe asked as she moved toward a big table.

Anne nodded. “Of course.” She pointed toward all of the decorations. “Have at it. Just remember, Christmas is a special holiday so use your imagination.” She turned to go.

“Thanks!” Chloe called as she pulled out a chair and sat down. She grinned as Lex did the same. “Okay,” She said as she picked up one of the ornaments. “Just remember that no matter what your ornament comes out to look like-”

“Stop.” Lex cut in. “No sappy love quotes okay?”

She frowned at him. “I wasn’t.” She tried to hide her smile as she picked up a paintbrush. “I think you like my sappy love quotes.”

He snorted. “I think you say them on purpose just to annoy me. You and I both know you’re nowhere near sappy love.”

“How do you know?” She asked as she dipped her paintbrush in brown paint.

“I know enough.” He answered. He picked his paintbrush up and dipped it into red paint. “I know you.”

She bit her lip as she drew the body of her gingerbread man. “Know me how exactly?”

Lex didn’t answer her for a long time, instead opting to concentrate on painting his Santa Claus. “I know you.” He finally said in a tone she had never heard him use before.

Chloe paused in her painting to look at Lex. He wasn’t looking at her, only staring down at his ornament intently. She opened her mouth to ask what that meant, but thought better of it.

The two worked in silence for the next hour.

“Tada!” Chloe said holding up her finished ornament.

Lex glanced up from his work with a small frown. “It looks like a five year old painted that. What is that?”

She pouted. “It does not! It’s a gingerbread man and that’s his gingerbread house.” She pointed to the shakily drawn house. “See.”

He frowned. “Why are all the lines all squiggly?” He asked.

She frowned. “Thanks. Lets see yours.”

He held his up for inspection and her eyes widened. It was a perfectly drawn Santa, standing in the middle of the south pole. “How?”

Lex just shrugged. “It was easy.” He said. “I took painting classes at excelsior.”

She carefully took the ornament. “Lex this is amazing.” She breathed. She smiled. “I didn’t know you could paint.”

He shrugged feeling uncomfortable. “It was nothing.”

“Nothing?” She scoffed. “Do you see the way my ornament looks?”

He nodded. “It is pretty sad.” He sighed. “I actually kind of enjoyed this. It was-relaxing.”

Her grin widened. “That’s great!” She glanced around the classroom. “Do you want to paint another one or do you want to do something else?”

His only answer was his lips against her own.

Part 13

12/13

Lex pulled his mouth away to catch his breath.

Chloe lowered her head, feeling strangely coy in the brightness of the classroom. She tensed for a moment when she felt him tilt her head up so that she could look at him. He slowly moved toward her, giving her ample time to tell him no. But her lips only parted slightly and she gave a very faint sigh that sent a warm breath like a soft caress against his face.

His mouth pushed against hers and she wrapped her arms around his neck so she could pull him closer. Her mouth opened up to his and they both moaned as their tongues brushed against one another. Just as they were about to get into full on groping, someone cleared their throat.

Chloe pulled back with an embarrassing whimper. She and Lex turned to see Anne standing in the doorway, a small smile on her face.

“So I take it you two are finished?”

It was snowing harder when they left the community center in silence. Chloe could feel Lex glancing at her intermittently, but she ignored his stares and continued on down the street.

She could feel her stomach coiling with panic at the thought of not being able to get out of this one. Not being able to make an excuse as to why that kiss had happened.

“Chlo?”

“Why did he kiss her? What’s up with that?”

“Chloe?” He grabbed her arm.

“What?” She asked, her voice a high squeak.

“Where are we going?” He asked and she glanced around, realizing they were walking the wrong way. “Oh.”

“Come on.” Lex guided her the other way. “We need to get out of this snow.”

She dumbly followed him down the street and it took hr five minutes to realize they were heading back toward his apartment.

She paused. “Wait!” She said. “Why are we going to your place?” She asked suspiciously.

“Because I want to go home.” He said softly. He gave her a serious expression. “and I think we need to talk.”

“Talk?” She squeaked. “I- talk about what? I mean there’s nothing to talk about. Nothing. I mean-” She trailed off and smiled. “We could watch another movie! I think they’re showing scrooge on television. The Bill Murray version. We could-”

She was cut off when he swooped in and kissed her hard on the mouth.

She pushed his mouth away with a loud smack. “Stop doing that!”

“I can’t help it!” He said just as loudly.

She huffed and pulled her head lower down onto her head. “Maybe we need to talk.”

He nodded. “Good.” He grabbed her hand and pulled her down the street.

Chloe had practiced the speech she was going to make as she and Lex made their way toward his penthouse.

It was the holidays and they were both single and lonely. So it was natural to start to drift toward each other. It didn’t have to mean much of anything. Her friendship with Lex was important to her and she didn’t want to ruin it by doing something so stupid by having sex with him. As much as she wanted to. As much as she craved more than a sexual relationship with her best friend. She wouldn’t do it. She knew it would ruin their friendship.

So much for her letting nature take it’s course speech.

“Do you want something to drink?” Lex asked as he more or less guided her toward the living room.

She shook her head. “Uh uh. Look Lex-” She trailed off as he switched the lights on and her eyes widened in surprise at the sight that greeted them.

“Lex?”

Chanel the model, clad only a silk red robe and matching underwear. She smiled and stood up.

Chloe looked at Lex, who wore the same expression. She stepped back as Chanel came in between them.

“Chanel,” Lex said as she kissed his cheek. “I thought you were in Paris.”

She shook her head as she smiled and Chloe found it amazing that she didn’t seem at all uncomfortable. “No. I’m here early for the holidays. I’ve missed.” She kissed his cheek again before glancing at Chloe.

“Chloe.” she greeted coldly.

“Chanel.” Chloe greeted just as coldly. She swallowed down the ball of embarrassment she felt rising within her chest. She looked at Lex. “I should go.”

Lex shook his head. “Go?” He asked. “But we-” He trailed off as Chanel wrapped her arms around his waist.

“Lex,” Chanel asked. “What’s with these ridiculous Christmas decorations?”

Chloe back away, bumping into the coffee table as she did. She paused and moved around the table. “I’ll see you around Lex.” She quickly fled before he could say anything else.

“I’m so stupid!” Chloe cried as she blew her nose into a tissue.

Lois shook her head as she handed her another tissue. “I wouldn’t have left.” she said. “I would’ve handed that bitch her walking papers.”

“Now he’s with long leg bitch Chanel and I’m here, eating Christmas cookies with you.”

“Hey that’s not my fault you’re a chicken. You should’ve called me we could’ve jumped her. I could be in bed with my husband right now letting him-”

“I don’t need to hear that.” Chloe cut in. She glared at Lois. “You know if you hadn’t said that stupid speech I wouldn’t even be in this situation.”

Lois snorted. “Need I remind you that you kissed him way before I made that speech. You know I don’t even know why you’re in this situation in the first place. You kissed him. Then he kissed you. Then he kissed you again! How many more signs do you need exactly that he wants you?”

“That’s not the point.” Chloe sighed. “I do want Lex.”

Lois looked confused. “Not seeing the problem here.”

“I want Lex.” Chloe explained slowly. “I want everything and I-I know Lex is impulsive and he probably doesn’t even know why he kissed me.”

“He kissed you because he’s a man Chloe. Yes, he was a little, well a lot, slow on the uptake, but you kissing him has probably opened up some locked feelings. How would you know how he feels if you won’t even talk to him about it?”

Chloe looked away guiltily. “I’m scared.”

Lois nodded. “Mmhmm.”

“It will change everything.”

“Do you love him?”

Chloe rolled her eyes. “Of course I do!”

“No,” Lois corrected. “I mean love him.”

“Oh.” Chloe shrugged. “I don’t know.”

Lois sighed as she placed her arm around her cousin’s shoulders. “Haven’t you heard Chlo? Best friends make the best lovers.” She squeezed Chloe’s shoulders. “Besides it’s not like you two don’t already do things normal couples don’t do. The transition will be nice.”

Chloe looked up at Lois. “You think so?” She asked hopefully.

Lois nodded. “Now stop being a big baby and do something about this will yah?”

Chloe smiled. “Okay-” She trailed off at the soft knock at her door.

They both looked at each other with a frown.

“Maybe it’s Clark.” Lois said and she stood up. She opened the door, her eybrow raising as she stared at their visitor. “Well, hello Lex.”

Chloe looked up with wide eyes. “Lex?”

Lex merely nodded at Lois and moved around her. “Chloe, we need to talk.”

She stood up and nodded. “Okay.”

“I’m going to head out.” Lois announced. She reached for her coat. She gave the thumbs up sign to Chloe behind Lex’s back. “You owe me some of those Christmas cookies at work tomorrow.”

“You got it.” Chloe said as she stared at Lex.

They were both quiet when Lois left.

“So-” She started.

Lex smiled. “Seen any good movies lately?”

Part 14

12/14

Chloe smiled slightly. “Where’s Chanel?”

Lex moved and sat next to her on the couch. “I sent her home.” He gave her a worried look. “You left before I could tell you to stay.”

Chloe pouted. “She called our decorations ridiculous that swizzle stick.”

Lex laughed. “They aren’t ridiculous.” He said softly. “And I apologize for that.”

Chloe shook her head. “Don’t apologize for her.” She said softly.

“Chloe I like kissing you.” He blurted and she swallowed nervously.

“Yeah?” She asked. “Well I- quite enjoy kissing you too.” She said awkwardly.

Lex shook his head. “We sound like children.”

She smiled slightly. “Yeah.”

Lex gave her a look. “I don’t know what is it about you-” He trailed off and shook his head. “I’m usually more smooth than this, but you- I can’t be that way with you.”

She grinned. “You just called yourself smooth.”

He pursed his lips. “Well, it’s true.”

She knew it was true. She knew most times all Lex had to do is look at a woman and she was coming out of her clothes. “Okay.”

“You know everything about me.” He said quietly. “Everything.”

She smiled slightly. “It doesn’t mean it’s a bad thing.”

“I didn’t say it was.” He said. He looked at her seriously. “I want you Chloe. I don’t know how it happened, I suppose I’ve probably always wanted you but I-”

“Stuffed the want down so far you forgot about it?” She cut in.

He nodded, looking relieved. “And you?”

“Wasn’t it obvious from the first time I attacked you with my mouth?”

He laughed at that. “Not really. If we- Things will change Chloe.”

She smiled. “It doesn’t have to. I mean it’ll be the same just as it’s always been. The only difference will be more kissing and great sex.”

He laughed at that and shook his head. “Chloe, I’m-not an easy man to be with.”

She snorted. “Well you’re not an easy friend to have either, but I’ve survived eleven and a half years with you. You’re kind of past trying to save me from yourself.” She reached for his hand and squeezed.

Lex squeezed her hand back. “Does this mean we’re-”

“Dating?” She finished and he nodded. “I guess so.”

He swallowed. “We’ll have to take this slow.” He said.

“Well it took us this long to admit we have feelings for each other so I don’t think that will be a problem.” She joked, although she knew what Lex meant. He wasn’t really the take things slow kind of guy. She knew Lex had two kind of speeds fast and faster. All or nothing. She knew he had sworn off getting close to any woman after his last disaster of a marriage and the rest of his love life consisted of a slew of one night stands and unserious girlfriends.

Not wanting to think on it much longer, she raised her hand toward his cheek. She leaned over for a chaste kiss. “Just because of this new development doesn’t mean you’re getting out of our deal.”

Lex snapped his fingers. “Damn. And here I thought I’d weaseled my way out of it.”

She shook her head. “No.” She said softly. “Tomorrow there will be plenty of practice kissing under the mistletoe.” She kissed him again.

“Well in that case.” He said and he pulled another movie out of his coat pocket. “I got this on my way over here.”

Chloe frowned at the movie he picked out. “Turbulence?”

He shrugged. “It’s Christmas themed.”

She frowned. “Ray Liotta is in this. He plays the creepy murderer.”

Lex nodded. “That is true, but I reiterate, Christmas themed.”

She smiled. “You know, this is the last time I’m allowing you to pick the Christmas movies right?” She kissed him one more time and stood up. “You put the movie in and I’ll make us some hot chocolate.”

Lex did as she requested. “Do you have any of that fruitcake left?”

“Mr. Matso called and requested the meeting be moved to Thursday at 3pm.”

“That’s fine.” Lex said distractedly.

Marcy nodded. “Also, we have figured out a way to remove the dancing Santa from your desk without having to destroy it.”

Lex looked up at that. He waved his hand. “No. Just-leave it for now. We can remove it after Christmas.”

Marcy grinned. “So you’re getting the spirit of Christmas already?”

Lex snorted. “No.” He said. “I still dislike it, but I-” He trailed off at Marcy’s look. “What?”

“Nothing.” She said with a knowing smile. “I don’t know if you know or not, but the Russian Ballet is coming to Metropolis next week. They’re doing a performance of the Nutcracker all next week. I’m sure Ms. Sullivan would enjoy that quite a bit.”

Lex looked at Marcy with surprise, but she only smiled and quietly left his office. He didn’t know if she knew or not, but he was definitely going to give her a raise on top of her bonus.

Lex sat back in his chair, his thoughts turning. So he and Chloe were dating and he couldn’t begin to describe the pure terror he currently felt. He didn’t date. He just didn’t. But, Chloe was- She was Chloe. She was different.

He small smile faded a bit. He wouldn’t hurt her. He wouldn’t. It was something he kept telling himself because he knew he could hurt her.

“Sooo…you two didn’t have sex?”

Chloe rolled her eyes. “No.” She said softly. “We just admitted our feelings to each other. It’s going to take some getting used to. So, no. No sex.”

Lois sighed. “Well that’s boring.”

Chloe rolled her eyes and stood up, grabbing her coat. “I’ve got to go. I’ll be late for the Christmas BBQ.”

Lois frowned. “You’re still going to that thing!” She called.

“Every year!” Chloe answered.

The south side of Metropolis once again had their ten annual Christmas BBQ festival and Chloe was always happy to attend. She grinned and inhaled. “Do you smell the charcoal?”

Lex frowned down at her. “Who said barbequing during the winter time was a good idea?” He turned as he heard the loud sound of Santa Claus. “Is that Santa Claus glazing a ham?”

Chloe gasped and grasp his arm. “Christmas Ham!” She pulled him through the crowd. “C’mon we need to taste the samples.”

They ended up in front of Santa’s booth.

“Hi Santa.” Chloe greeted happily. Lex gave her a frightened look.

“HO HO HO! Little lady. What can Santa get for you today?”

Chloe grinned. “We’d like a piece of your famous Christmas ham Santa.”

“Well little lady! You’re in for a treat, I’ve just finished my first ham.” he handed her a small plate with a bit of tooth picked ham on it.

Lex stepped closer toward the booth, his eyes narrowed. This Santa was familiar. “Griswald?”

Santa turned to face Lex and his eyes widened. “Mr. Luthor!” He said in his Santa voice.

Chloe, who had the ham halfway toward her lips paused. “You know Santa?”

“He’s only the head of the Acquisitions department for Luthorcorp.” He frowned in confusion. This was odd considering the man seemed like an unhappy anti version of Santa. “This is a surprise.”

“Mr. Luthor,” Griswald Santa said. “Uh- hi. What brings you here?”

Lex gave an amused grin. “Well I’m here to taste your Christmas ham.”

“Here you go kind sir!” Griswald Santa said, slipping back into his Santa persona.

“Thanks.” Lex said as he took his sample. They both turned from the Christmas Ham booth. “That was strange. I didn’t know he spoke He always seems so ornery.”

Chloe just grinned. “Everyone loves Christmas.” She said, stuffing a piece of ham into her mouth. “Even Ornery people.” She said, her mouth full.

Lex frowned as he took a bite of his own ham. It was surprisingly delicious. Juicy and had the right amount of spices. “Delicious.”

“See.” She grinned. “I told you this would be fun. “See.”

He snorted. “I didn’t say I was having fun. I said ham was good. It doesn’t mean-” he trailed off. “Are those Apple Fritters?”

Chloe looked in the direction he was looking and she nodded. “Mmhmm. Your favorite. They put powdered sugar on it too.”

Lex was already making his way toward the booth before she could drag him along.

“There is nothing like watching an amateur play about the birth of Jesus.” Lex commented.

Chloe nodded. “It’s the Metropolis City players. They aren’t so bad.”

Lex frowned. “Not so bad? Joseph there forgot his line five times already.”

Chloe giggled.

“Shhh!” An older woman shushed them.

They both looked at each other with amused smiles.

“Oh Mary,” The actor playing Joseph said. “It’s our-” He trailed off clearly forgetting his line.

Lex groaned and Chloe burst out laughing again.

“Shhh!!” The older woman hissed at them.

Chloe’s laughter died down and she lied her head against his shoulder with a smile. “They’re showing A White Christmas on cable tonight. We should go watch it.”

Lex frowned. “Are you trying to murder me again?”

She laughed again. The older lady glared at her.

“Sorry.” Chloe whispered. She looked up at him. “You got me in trouble.” She whispered.

Lex wrapped his gloved hand around own with a small smirk. He leaned down for a small kiss. He pulled away and smiled at the wide grin she gave him. Just as he went in for another kiss, his phone rang.

He ignored the glare of the old woman as he answered his phone. “Luthor here. What?”

Chloe looked up with concern when he cursed quietly. “No. Let him up. I’ll be there soon.” He hung up his phone with a sigh.

“What is it?” Chloe asked.

“My father.” Lex said. “He’s here.”

Part 15

12/15

Lex was in a bad mood. It amazed Chloe how easily Lex’s mood dropped just from the knowledge that he would have to see his father in just a few minutes. He hadn’t said a word since they left the festival and it was a little disconcerting with how it seemed he was going to explode at any moment. Either that or crash any minute. He was driving so fast that she was bracing the door handle from pure fear. She glanced over at him, unsurprised to see an angry scowl on his face.

She reached over and put her hand on his leg. She gently squeezed. “Lex, Relax?”

He tensed for a moment before looking over at her. He eased up on the gas and his expression softened. “Sorry.”

She smiled. “I understand.” Her death grip on the door loosened and she rubbed his thigh in a comforting motion.

His own tight grip on the steering wheel loosened and he sighed heavily. “It’s like he can sense when I’m happy.”

Chloe tilted her head. “You were happy?” She asked.

He looked at her as if she had grown an extra head. “You couldn’t tell?”

She smiled slightly. “Well your happy face looks quite identical to your unhappy face.”
He shrugged. “I apologize for my low affect.” He glanced at her with a wry smile. “You know you don’t have to walk into the Lion’s den with me.”

She shrugged. “Naa I’ll go. It’s not like I haven’t stepped into the Lion’s Den before.”

“Hmm,” He said. “Is this going to be one of those, in the future we’re going to look back those and laugh kind of deals?”

She nodded. “Of course. I mean I always get a good guffaw in now and then when I think about Lionel trying to commit homicide on me. It gives me this little twinge.”

Lex gave her an amused smile. “Well us Luthors are known for leaving people with twinges.” He sighed as he pulled into the parking garage. “Are you sure you want to be here Chloe?”

“Yes.” She said. “I’m sure. Who else is going to be here to protect you?”

Lex’s only answer was to lean over for a lingering kiss. He pulled away. “Lets go.” He said breathlessly.

As they entered the Penthouse, Chloe was unsurprised to see Lionel sitting comfortably in one of Lex’s chairs, a drink in his hand. He looked flawless as usual. He was still sporting a thick long mane of hair, the only difference being was that it had silver streaks throughout it, the only indication of his aging. Other than that, he still looked like the devil incarnate.

“Lex, my boy.”

“Dad.” Lex greeted coldly. “What are you doing here?”

Lionel smiled. “Does a father have to explain why he comes to visit his son during the Holidays?”

Chloe could tell Lex was getting agitated when he placed his hands in his pockets. She could practically feel him vibrating with anger and annoyance and she was beginning to rethink this whole being here thing.

“When it’s your then yes.” Lex answered. “What do you want?”

Lionel raised an eyebrow and ignored him. Chloe felt the hairs rise on the back of her neck as Lionel’s steely gaze turned to her. She fought the urge to hide behind Lex.

“Ms. Sullivan.” Lionel greeted silkily. “Always a pleasure to see you.”

“Lionel.” Chloe greeted back flatly. “I wish I could say the same for you.”

Lionel chuckled and shook his head. “Oh. Your bravery always astounds me.” He looked at Lex. “It’s a wonder Lex, why you never married this one.”

Chloe felt her stomach tense from the lustful look Lionel didn’t bother to hide. Creepy old man look. She felt Lex move closer toward her. She once again fought the urge to hide behind him.

“You didn’t come here to give me advice on my love life Dad. I’ll repeat this one more time, what do you want?”

Lionel looked at his son, his expression turning grave. “I’d like to speak to you alone Lex.”

“No.” Lex said. “She stays. Now speak.”

Lionel raised an eyebrow and an amused glint entered his eye. “Very well.” he sighed. “As you know I’ve started Luthor industries five years ago-”

“I know the story dad,” Lex cut in. “Get to the point?”

Lionel glared. “We’re in the red.” He said gravely.

Chloe’s eyes widened in surprise and she looked up at Lex who didn’t look surprised at all.

Lionel stepped forward. “I’ve invested everything I have into that company. I have nothing left.”

Lex crossed his arms in front of his chest. “And?”

Lionel stared hard at his son. “You’ll leave your father to fend for himself?”

Lex laughed at that. “And you wouldn’t do it to me?” He shook his head. “I’m sorry Dad but I fail to see what this has to do with me?”

Lionel was silent for a long moment and Chloe knew things had to have been bad for him to come to Lex of all people.

The two men were quiet for a long time, each sizing up the other and Chloe was sure a bomb was going to go off any minute.

Lionel broke the eye contact first. He slowly smiled at Lex. “You know I knew it would come to this.” he said softly. “I’ve found your brother.” He started slowly. “It was quite easy actually. All I had to do was look under a rock and there he was. You should work on hiding him.” Lionel sighed as he brushed off imaginary dirt from his suit. “I still haven’t quite forgiven him for what he did the last time I saw him.”

Chloe’s eyes went wide again before narrowing dangerously. She knew Lucas was a weak spot for Lex. She knew how important Lucas was to Lex and she knew the depths he went through in protecting him, still, even after all these years. She didn’t quite understand it, but she never asked why he went through so much length at taking care of his careless younger brother, who was now an adult.

She looked up at Lex just in time to see the flash of worry cross his eyes. She reached for his arm.

“You’re a son of a bitch.” Lex whispered and Lionel just smiled.

Lionel handed him a card. “I’d expect twenty million forwarded to this account by morning.” Lionel said. He picked his briefcase up. “It’s been a pleasure doing business with you son.”

Lex snatched the card from his father. “Get out!” He growled.

Lionel just shook his head. “Ms. Sullivan. It’s been a pleasure.” he turned to go and paused. “By the way, nice decorations.”

Chloe let out the breath she had been holding and immediately wrapped her hands around Lex’s arm. “You aren’t going to-”

“I don’t have a choice.” Lex said quietly. She could feel him shaking with rage.

“And here I thought he was going to beg you for money.” Chloe shook her head. “I should’ve known he had something up his sleeve.” She watched as Lex walked across the room and leaned against the fireplace. “Lex?” She jumped when he suddenly swiped everything off of the mantle. She stepped back in shock as glass shattered onto the floor. Those were Christmas Vases! Her eyes widened as he picked up the wall mirror and threw that onto the floor and she yelped as it shattered into a million pieces.

He stopped at the mirror and Chloe silently watched as he stood in the middle of the chaos, his fist clenched at his sides.

“Lex?”

“I think you should go.”

She glared at his back. “No!”

He turned to look at her, an incredulous look on his face. “No? Chloe- did you just see what happened? I-” He trailed off and shook his head. “You shouldn’t have to be here for this.”

She rolled her eyes. “You’re so dramatic. First of all, this is something I’ve seen before Lex, I’m not-” She trailed off when he turned his back to her. “You’re being unfair.”

Lex turned back to look at her. “Are you-did you see what just happened?”

“So what.” She said. She stepped closer toward him and placed her hand on her shoulder. “You shouldn’t be alone tonight. Just incase you decide you want to do something stupid I can talk you out of it or if you want to brood. You shouldn’t have to brood alone.”

She put her hand on his shoulder and reached for his hand. “Come on Lex.” She guided him out of the broken glass mess and toward the couch. He went without a problem, his shoulders seemingly slumping as exhaustion seemed to suddenly creep in.

She let him recline back against the couch as she reached and switched the television on. “Hey look, frosty the snowman.” She looked down at Lex, surprised to see him watching her.

“I’m sorry I broke those vases.”

She shook her head. “They’re only vases.” She reclined against him on the couch. “Are you okay?”

He wrapped his arms around her waist. “No.” He admitted. “But I will be.”

She moved and kissed him, deepening the kiss as he pulled her closer. She moaned and pulled away.

“We can’t.” She breathed.

Lex nodded. “Okay. Sorry.”

She smiled and lied beside him. “Don’t be.”

They watched the rest of the movie in silence.

Part 16

12/16

“You want me to help you what?”

Chloe looked down at all the gifts at her feet. “Wrap these gifts?” She repeated. “I was suppose to do it weeks ago, but somehow I got distracted.” She looked at him innocently.

Lex crossed his arms in front of his chest. “I don’t know about this Chloe. There’s about twenty gifts here. Can’t we just hire a team of people to do this?”

“No.” She sighed. “Just try to be a normal person for once and help me wrap these twenty gifts.”

He sighed and grumbled something under his breath.

She frowned at him. “What was that?”

“I said I can’t wrap.” He said. “I don’t know how.”

She laughed and held up her hand as he glared at her. “No. I’m not laughing at you it’s just- that’s quite normal to not know how to wrap.” She patted the spot next to her.

Lex didn’t move. He was being stubborn.

“You know the other reason I asked you to help me is because I haven’t seen you all week. What with the planning of the takeover of your father’s company.” She smiled sweetly at him. “I’ve missed you.”

Lex shot her a withering look before carefully sitting next to her on the floor. “That was low.” He said softly.

She grinned. “I’m proud of you by the way. Did you hear from him yet?”

“No.” Lex answered. “Although I’m sure I’ll be hearing from him once he finds out he’s been locked out of his own company.”

Chloe grinned. “I wonder what he’ll do for money.”

Lex shook his head. “He still had money even when he came to me. It was more of a game to him really.”

Chloe merely shook her head. “I can’t believe he’s still playing these ridiculous games with you.”

“I’m not.” Lex answered. “I think he thinks he has to come into my life once and a while and shake things up. To see that I haven’t gotten lazy. I think he thinks he’s doing me a favor as a father in his twisted way of thinking.”

She grinned. “But you haven’t gotten lazy.”

He shook his head. “No. He’ll figure that out when he realizes the years it’s going to take for him to cut through all of the red tape just to get his company back. He’ll be busy for a while.”

Chloe’s grin widened. “I like it when you’re evil.”

He smiled. “Thanks. Lucas is back in Japan. I told him if he leaves I’ll murder him myself.”

She rolled her eyes. “Back to these gifts.”

“Why are we wrapping twenty gifts again?”

“Because I collected these toys for my choice of group home and I have to have these wrapped by tomorrow so we can drop them off.”

He raised an eyebrow. “We?”

She nodded. “Yes we. This is part of your-”

“Fine.” He cut in. He lifted a basketball. “How the hell do you wrap this?”

She snatched the basketball out of his hand and grabbed a small dollhouse box. “Let’s try this one first.” she placed the box onto the floor and grabbed some pretty wrapping paper. “Now keep In mind that this isn’t rocket science.”

“Hmm,” He said. “I think I gathered that.”

She nodded. “Now do you want me to explain or do you just want to watch me do it?”

He gave her a half smile. “I think I can get it just from watching you.”

She grinned and went to work. “You just have to make sure not to use no more than four pieces of tape.”

Lex nodded and watched as she expertly wrapped the gift. “How do you know which gift goes to whom?”

She picked up a list. “I have a list. See? Lisa, dollhouse. Just put their name and make sure you put from Santa.”

Lex grabbed another box. A telescope. “At least someone has a brain.” he muttered.

Chloe smiled as he wrapped the gift without much difficulty. “You caught on fast.”

“Uh huh.” Was all he said as he reached for the list and marker. He wrote the kids name down.

They worked mostly in silence and when they more than halfway through the gifts, Lex sat back with a sigh.

“This is torture.”

Chloe looked up from her third to last gift. “Yeah, this part isn’t so much fun. I don’t know what I was thinking.” She placed that gift to the side. “Maybe I should’ve taken you up on your offer.”

He glared at her. “Yeah, I know. Lets take a break.”

Chloe nodded. “So, what do you want to do now?” She asked coyly.

Lex grinned at her.

For Chloe, making out with Lex was always exciting and scary. The kiss was slow and passionate and she could barely follow him as he hungrily took her mouth, his teeth grazing her lip before pulling back with a gasp.

She smiled dazedly at him, too distracted by the flush on his cheeks and the way his mouth seemed swollen. “That was-” She was cut off as his mouth caught hers again. She moved, this time straddling his waist, moaning as his hands began to trail all over her body.

Her arms slipped around his neck and she pressed herself even closer, moaning as his fingers buried themselves in her hair. She moved closer, hooking a bare ankle behind Lex as she pressed her mouth against his with deep, needy kisses, and her tongue slipped expertly into his mouth. Her hips rocked against him once, then twice and Lex had to pull away with a loud gasp.

“Chloe.” He grasped her hips. “We can’t. We have to slow down.”

She groaned and placed her forehead against his shoulder. He was right, but she didn’t care! She didn’t want to slow down.

“Sorry.” He muttered. “You have no clue how hard this is.”

She slid off him with a raised eyebrow. “I don’t?” She pouted. “Why do you have to be a gentleman now?” She looked at him and was startled at the naked hunger in his eyes. She swallowed.

Lex suddenly moved, grasping her small hand in his much larger one. “We will eventually,” He said quietly. “But I just- want you to make sure this is what you want.”

She moved and kissed him chastely on the lips. “I know what I want.” She said. “But I’ll wait. I’ve already waited all of this time.” She admitted quietly. “What’s a little bit more time?”

Lex looked surprised at the admission. He pulled her down for another quick kiss. “Lets finish these gifts.” He glanced at her sideways. “Hey Chloe? How do you feel about the Nutcracker Ballet?”

Part 17

12/17

“I want to go to the Ballet.” Lois whined as she sat on the edge of Clark’s desk. She
glared at her husband. “Why don’t you ever take me to the ballet?”

Clark froze the bowtie donut halfway toward his mouth. “Uh… You don’t even like the ballet. You said it was boring….honey.”

Lois glared at her husband. “Well maybe if you weren’t off saving the world all the time, we’d be able to have more fun.” At that she flounced off, leaving a very confused Clark and a very amused Chloe in her wake.

Clark turned to look at Chloe a glare on his face. “Thanks a lot Chlo.”

She shrugged at him. “Sorry. It’s not my fault you don’t take your wife places.”

“Hey!” He said, offended. “I take her places. I mean, I always fly her places. We’ve been to Paris twice. I flew her there!” The last words ended on a hiss.

Chloe lifted her hands. “Calm down tiger.” She smiled. “Los is just being Lois. She wouldn’t be able to sit down for the ballet if we handcuffed her to the chair.”

Clark bit in his donut. “That’s what I’m saying.” He said, his mouth full.

“You know,” Chloe started. “I’ve bee waiting for you to give me the third degree, but so far you haven’t. So, I’m giving you the chance to start.”

Clark gave her a startled look. He sighed and placed his donut down. “Chloe, you already know how I feel about this. But, I can’t change your mind.” He sighed resignedly. “Do you love him?”

There was that question again. She shrugged. “I don’t know yet.”

Something akin to disbelief flashed in Clark’s face. He always wore his emotions so easily. “Are you-are you at least happy?”

Her grin widened. “Yes.” She answered. “I really am.”

He nodded. “Then I guess that’s all that matters.” He turned back to his computer. “Now if you’ll excuse me I have to figure out how I’m going get three hundred dollar ballet tickets.”

She smiled. “You could always use your Superman charm.”

He narrowed his eyes. “Very funny.”

“Are you sure this green looks okay?” Chloe asked as she brushed her hair for the third time.

“For the nine thousandth time, you look beautiful.” Lois answered. “Are you brushing your hair again?” Lois asked. “Wait a minute what’s that echo? Am I on speaker phone?”

“You sure are.” Chloe said and she grinned as a knock was sounded. “He’s here. I’ve got to go!”

“Okay. Have fun!” Lois called. “I’m jealous just so you know.”

Chloe smiled. “Thanks for telling me.” She hung up her cell phone and quickly left her bedroom to answer the door.

Lex, dressed in a tuxedo, stood there with a bouquet of tulips on his hand. “Hi.”

She smiled and stepped aside so he could enter. “Hi. Are those for me?” she asked.

He silently nodded and handed them to her. “You look beautiful.” He said as she leaned over for a kiss.

“Thanks! You look nice too.” She grabbed a vase. “Just let me put these in some water and then we can go.”

Lex swallowed nervously as he watched Chloe’s backside as she made her way into the kitchen. The green silk dress she wore clung perfectly to her soft curves. This was going to be a long night.

Chloe couldn’t swipe the silly smile from her face as she placed her beautiful flowers in their vase. She had already made up her mind, the moment she had slipped this green silk dress on.

She was going to seduce Lex.

“I’m excited.” Chloe admitted, breaking the silent limo ride.

Lex glanced at her with a wry smile. “I’m glad.”

She slid a little closer toward him and reached for his hand. “Did you ever see the nutcracker?”

“No.” He admitted and she looked at him as if he was crazy.

“Wow.” She said. “You’ve really been deprived.”

He snorted. “Excuse me for having a crappy childhood.” He was momentarily distracted by her finger drawing circles around his thumb.

“I’ve never seen the real live ballet before.” She admitted. “I know it’s going to be beautiful.”

Lex, still distracted by the simple carress of her fingers, nodded dumbly. “Uh huh.”

Chloe hugged Lex’s arm tightly in her hand as they maneuvered themselves through the lobby of the Performing arts center. She could feel eyes on the both of them. She could practically hear the shocked whispers as they settled themselves in a private corner.

“Why is everyone whispering and staring at us?”

Lex grabbed two glasses of champagne from a passing waiter and handed her one. “Apparently this is the social event of the season for the rich and successful. I never ever come to these things.”

“That makes sense.” She said softly. She sipped her champagne with a small smile. “There’s nothing like having the rich stare at you as if you’re an animal at the Zoo.”

Lex snorted at that. “It’s only because I’m the richest one here.”

She smiled. “Way to be humble.” She whispered. “There’s a piece of mistletoe above us.” She whispered.

He looked up surprised to see a a neatly tied piece of mistletoe hanging from the ceiling. “Huh.” He said as he glanced down at her. “Isn’t that something.”

She nodded. “I’m going to kiss you now.” She said before leaning over for a long deep kiss. She pulled away before ti could get too heavy.

Lex blinked stupidly down at her. “Uh-” He reached for her hand. “We should go get seated.”

Chloe’s eyes stayed glued to stage as she watched the Russian dancers perform the Russian dance, she glanced back at Lex who seemed to be falling asleep. She gently pinched him.

Lex’s eyes blinked open and his eyes flew to Chloe, who was glaring at him.

“Pay attention.” She whispered.

He glared back. “I was resting my eyes.”

She rolled her eyes and turned back to the stage.

This was torture for Lex. He couldn’t wait until this was over. He could feel his eyes drifting closed again. He hoped Chloe didn’t pinch him again.

He awoke to loud applauding. His head snapped up and he looked up at Chloe, who was standing up, clapping loudly. “Is it over?” He asked.

Chloe glanced back at him. “Yeah, you fell asleep on the second act.” she looked more amused than annoyed.

Lex nodded and stood up. “Good, lets go.” He gripped her hand in his own.

“That was beautiful.” Chloe admitted on the drive back to her apartment.

“Hmm.” Lex grunted. She was doing that thing with her fingers again.

“You know tried to do ballet when I was younger.” Her fingers danced on his thigh.

“Really?” Lex asked, still distracted.

She made circles around his knee as she nodded. “Mmmhmm. Didn’t work out though, I was to busy dreaming up stories as to why the other dancers were so thin.”

He laughed. “That sounds about right.” He swallowed when she kissed his cheek. Then the side of his neck.

“Chloe?” He said as her lips trailed up behind his ear.

“Hmm?” she asked, she gently bit his ear lobe before kissing it again.

He tensed and his hand squeezed her thigh. “What are you doing?”

Her tongue darted out briefly against his neck. “Seducing you.”

He looked at her. Really looked at her, surprised at the pure hunger he could see in her eyes. He looked away for a second. “Chlo-”

“I need you Lex.” She whispered quietly. It was the truth. “It’s been a really long time.” She admitted embarrassingly.

Lex didn’t need much more convincing. He was done the moment he saw her in that green dress. With a groan, he turned and enveloped her in his arms, pushing his mouth against hers in a hungry kiss.

Part 18

12/18

They had started kissing again as soon as they walked through the door. They’d even made it as far as her bedroom which was a major plus in Chloe’s books. They had stumbled into her bedroom, only pausing to divest Lex of his tuxedo jacket and shoes and Chloe’s stockings and shoes; before clinging back on to each other for deep hungry kisses.

When she finally pulled away, Chloe was breathless, eyes dazed as they looked at Lex.

“We’re really doing this?” She asked quietly, eyes searching. She could almost see the hesitation behind Lex’s eyes. She began to see how hard it was for him to hide from her.

“Y-yeah.” Lex agreed quickly. He smiled slightly and reached over to squeeze her hip.

“You do know as soon as I saw you in this dress it was over for me right?”

“Good.” She laughed faintly, flushing a little at the raw desire on his face. She sank down into the pillows then. Willing herself to relax. She reached over and cupped his cheek. “I was too distracted on thinking of ways to seduce you to notice.” She replied coyly. “What took us so long?”

“Maybe we unconsciously waited until the time was right?” He turned on his side too, facing Chloe with a wry grin. He leaned into her touch. “We’re stupid that way.”

Chloe shook her head. “Naa. Maybe this was the perfect time to get together. I’m really glad we finally decided.” She said, lying nose to nose on the shared pillow. She kissed his inviting mouth again, slow and soft but also demanding. It lingered for long minutes as she tasted him, testing him slowly as her fingers under the collar of Lex’s shirt. She undid the bowtie and slipped it from around his neck.

“Mm,” Lex shifted as her fingers moved toward the buttons of his shirt. He helped her, sliding the small discs through the holes. He kissed her back lazily, feeling it easier now to relax. “I’m glad we did too.” He untucked the shirt and pushed it off of his shoulders.

“I have to admit that I hated the way those men were staring at you tonight.”
She frowned as she kissed his bare shoulder. “Men were staring at me?”

“Yes,” Lex answered, a little dumbly distracted by the dance her lips were currently doing on his skin. “You didn’t see huh?” He shook his head with an amused smile. “You never see.” She lifted her mouth and he took the invitation, kissing her while climbing over her to straddle her hips. He broke from the kiss just long enough to gaze down her body, the small waist, soft curves and supple perfect breast. She was just so…soft and womanly.

“Chloe,” He breathed. “You’re really…wow.”

Chloe flushed and she blinked up at Lex with surprise at his words, at the…look he was giving her. No one had ever looked at her like that, and part of Chloe reveled in it. Amazed and thrilled in the way Lex’s eyes raked her body. All they did was kiss and already she was incredibly aroused. Her palms slid up his pant covered thighs. Her heart was racing, but her eyes were dark with lust as she looked up at him. It had been so long. Her body needed this. “I’ve been thinking about this all day.” She confided quietly. Her hands slid from his thighs up his bare chest.

Lex flushed, despite himself. “I’ve thought about it all the time.” He admitted quietly. “Especially in the beginning after we became really close friends. I couldn’t stand it when you’d get a boyfriend. I knew they couldn’t appreciate you.” He lowered his face, just enough to breathe against her ear. “I felt like you belong to me only.”

Chloe knew she should be taken aback with his possessiveness, but she wasn’t. She was slightly thrilled with the knowledge. She laughed quietly and lifted her arms, sliding them around his shoulders. “I do belong to you.” She whispered back, only partly teasing. She turned her head a little, inviting further attention from his warm lips. She sighed as his lips closed over one lobe and his teeth tugged gently. She lifted her chin so he could kiss her throat, moaning softly as he did. Her hands slid down his back, smoothing over firm muscle.

Lex carefully kissed where she silently urged him. He kissed her there, smiling as he felt the small vibrations from her moans.

Chloe silently had to wonder how she wasn’t turning to a puddle of goo already. The more Lex’s lips touched her skin the more she was sure she was going to go good any moment. Her eyes widened as she felt that hot hungry mouth began to suck her skin, marking her. She gave a loud long groan and shuddered, her nails gently raking down the skin of his back as she did. “Lex..”

She pulled his mouth down for a rough devouring kiss, her hands squeezing his shoulders, moving in time with the push and pull of his tongue against hers. She was surprised how easily he changed the pace of the kiss; even more surprised how easily she was able to keep up. They both lapped slow and hard inside each other’s mouths.

Lex felt as though he were losing control. He couldn’t control himself from devouring
Chloe’s mouth as if he were starved for it. With a quiet gasp he broke away, thighs shuddering as he sat up quickly. He looked down at Chloe for a long moment, reaching a hand out to slide up and down her stomach slowly. “How long?” He asked.

“Eight months.” She answered, already understanding the question.

Lex’s eyes closed softly and he shuddered. When he opened them again, she was startled to almost find his eyes were almost black pools. He slid off of her.

“This is it Chloe.” He said very quietly. “There’s no going back.”

Chloe slid off of the bed. “I know that.” She said just as quietly. She slid the straps off of her shoulders and let her silk dress slide quietly to the floor. “I’m okay with change.”

Lex was watching her sleep. It was corny, yes and maybe a little creepy, but he couldn’t help it. Her long hair was splayed across the pillow, which she was currently hugging close as she lied on her stomach. One leg stuck out of the blanket, dangling halfway off the side of the bed as she snored softly.

He smirked. It had been a long night and he couldn’t stop the grin from coming on at the thought of how…content he currently was. He ignored the doubts and the fearful whispers that were swirling around in his head, trying to break through the sappy, happy haze he felt. He wouldn’t let those overtake him and he could only hope, which sucked, considering he and hope were never close friends.

He sighed and shook off his dark thoughts, instead opting to concentrate on the beautiful blonde in front of him. He reached over and gently swept her long hair to the side so he could see her face properly. He only hoped she didn’t wake up, but of course his hopes were dashed when her eyes suddenly fluttered open.

“Mm,” She sighed as she looked at Lex. “Were you watching me sleep?” She asked.

“Yes.” He said, not bothering to lie. He watched as she sat up, the sheet slipping off of her bare body as she did. He licked his lips.

“What time is it?” She asked; her voice raspy from sleep.

“Three am.” Lex answered.

She stretched and slid from the bed. “I’m starving.” She said as she reached for her silk robe. She paused and leaned over for a small kiss before making her way toward the kitchen.

She emerged back from the kitchen, a plate of fresh fruit cake and two forks in hand. She sighed as she slid back under the covers, adjusting her pillow behind her as she did. She leaned against Lex, handing him a fork and she placed the plate on his knee.
“Did you make this?” He asked and she nodded.

She noticed for the firs time that he had the television on CNN. She frowned as the ticket take of the stock scrolled by. She gave him a wry smile. “Always working huh?” She asked. She plucked the remote from his fingers and changed the channel.

She settled the movie, A Christmas Story. “Oh, I love this.” She smiled.

“I know this movie.” Lex said with a nod. He took a fork full of fruit cake. “This is good.”

Chloe nodded as she took a bite of it herself. “Lois thinks I should sell it.”

“You should.” Lex agreed. “If it’s one thing I agree on with Lois Lane, it’s that. You’d make a huge profit.”

She smiled again. “It’s always the dollars with you.” He leaned over to kiss his cheek..

Lex was silent for a long moment before licking his lips. “I’d, like to take you some place for the weekend. It’s a surprise.”

She looked surprise. “Okay. I like surprises.”

“Good.” He said with a small nod.

They ate their fruitcake together in silence, laughing as they watched the boy get his tongue stuck on the frozen pole.

TBC

Part 19

12/19

“Mom, why doesn’t dad like Christmas?”

Lillian looked down at her son. She smiled softly as she reached for him. “Your father is a very complicated man Lex.”

Lex, not quite understanding, nodded as he snuggled up to his mother. It was just the two of them this Christmas, but he was fine with that. He was always fine with that. “We should move here.” He said after a long bout of silence between the two.

Lillian chuckled. “Our life is in Metropolis.”

‘But it can be here.’ He thought to himself, but didn’t say it aloud. Instead he just quietly enjoyed the safe loving arms of his mother.

“Well, we’re on his jet now.” Chloe said over her cell phone.

“Way to brag cousin.”

Chloe rolled her eyes. “I’m not bragging, I’m just answering a question you just asked me.”

“You know I’m starting to rethink this whole, ‘convince you that Lex is evil thing.’ I’ve never heard you this happy before. Do you know where you’re going?”

“No.” Chloe said softly. “He said it’s a surprise. Of course I keep bugging him, but he won’t budge.”

“Hmm,” Lois said softly. “Definitely evil. Well, I have to get going. I’m going to go play hide the mistletoe with my husband.”

“Too much info,” Chloe said. “have fun.”

“You too.”

She closed her phone and sat back in the comfortable leather seat with a happy sigh. Her thoughts drifted back to the few hours before they had left for their impromptu trip. They had made love two more times before slipping out of bed for the day ahead. She grinned to herself. He couldn’t keep his hands off of her and she couldn’t be any happier.

Things were practically perfect.

Her smile faltered. She and the concept of perfection was something she was not too familiar with. Her hand rubbed her left arm in a nervous gesture. What if things go wrong? What if he decides he didn’t want her? What if- Her thoughts trailed off as a glass of champagne was placed in her hand. She looked over at Lex as he settled in the chair across from her.

Her hand tightened around the glass. “Hi.”

He smiled. “Hi yourself. The pilot says we’ll be landing in thirty minutes.”

She nodded and took a sip of her drink. “Where are we going exactly?”

Lex gave her an amused smile. “You’ll see.” He said. “I’m starting to think you’re missing the point of a surprise.”

She placed the glass on the side table and stood up. She straddled his waist.

Lex gave a grunt of surprised as she settled onto him. “Chlo-”

“I know what surprises are.” She said quietly. She kissed him once. “I just want to spoil mine.”

Lex smiled and returned her kiss, wrapping his arms around her waist as he did. “You can wait thirty more minutes.” His tongue darted out against her lips asking entrance.

She sighed and her mouth slid open. Her tongue met his own halfway. She moaned, surprised at how quickly the kiss became passionate. He squeezed her waist, taking it upon himself to suck on her tongue obscenely.

This was Chloe’s new favorite past time, maybe she didn’t need to know the surprise. She found a new way to pass the time.

“Montana?” Chloe asked as she glanced at Lex. The truck they were in drove slowly over the snowy roads. “Why Montana?”

Lex smiled slightly. “My mother owned a ranch here when she was alive. She left all of the property to me when she passed.”

Chloe stared at him, knowing there was more to that story. Instead of asking more questions like she wanted to, she turned to look at the window, choosing to enjoy the snowy scenery. “I love snow.” she said softly.

Lex smiled. “I know.”

They drove through the property gates and Chloe didn’t bother to hide her awe at the sight of the huge ranch house. “That’s beautiful.”

Chloe couldn’t stop herself from gawking at everything like an idiot. The inside was beautiful, filled with ubiquitous dude ranch style furniture which consisted of chic meticulous leather wrapped armoires to petrified stone tables tops on fantastically curved juniper bases. She was awed at the huge river rock fireplace.

“Hello Mr. Luthor.”

Lex smiled at his house keeper. “Hello Esther. Has everything been prepared?”

She nodded. “Of course. Everything is done.” She handed him two keys. “It’s nice to see you’ve made it back here Mr. Luthor.”

Lex smiled. “It’s nice to be back Esther.”

Chloe sidled up to him as the house keeper turned to go. “She seemed nice.” she said.

Lex nodded. “She’s been the housekeeper since I was little.” he glanced at her and reached for her hand, I have something to show you.

Chloe followed him as he pulled her from the foyer and into a large sitting room. Her eyes widened as she stared up at the Christmas decorations. A large, but humble Christmas tree sat in the corner and to her delight it had- “Popcorn.” She grinned and glanced at him. “You had this done didn’t you? I knew I was rubbing off on you.”

Lex wrapped an arm around her waist. “Don’t tell anyone.” He grabbed her hand. “Let me show you upstairs.”

“So this was your room huh?” Chloe said as she noticed the childhood toys neatly placed inside a chest at the edge of the huge bed. Small toy cars littered the floor and her grin widened as she spotted the warrior angel bed spread. It was odd to her, so child like. It didn’t seem like it was a room a Luthor would own. Not even as a child. “It’s very, child like.”

Lex nodded as he walked up behind her. “This was the only place I was allowed to actually be a child.” He admitted. He wrapped both arms around her waist and kissed her neck. “I have a suggestion.”

She grinned as he whispered his suggestion into her ear. “I don’t know.” She said. She turned in his arms. “Are you sure you want to go this kinky?”

He chuckled and untied the sash from her sweater. He kissed her as he maneuvered her toward his old bed. “Oh yeah.”

Chloe let her sweater drop toward the floor and she wrapped her arms around his neck as their kiss deepened. She yelped as her legs hit the back of the bed, making her fall backward. She laughed Lex followed her. She stretched out of the Warrior Angel comforter with a sly grin. “I’m sure you’ll never look at warrior angel the same again.”

“No.” Lex chuckled. “I won’t.”

Somehow Chloe had once again convinced Lex to play out in the snow. The snow covered fields were beautiful and Chloe couldn’t resist in gallivanting in it. Now the two stood side by side as Chloe gave instructions on how to make a snowman.

Lex wouldn’t tell her that he already knew quite well on how to make a snowman, he was too busy enjoying the view every time she leaned over to roll a ball of snow.

“Hey, help me lift this will yah?” Chloe asked as she glanced over her shoulder.

Lex did as requested, lifting the last ball onto the snow man. He placed the hate he held onto the man’s head and handed her the scarf to wrap around his neck.

“There.” she said as she stuck two tree twigs into each side for arms. “Oh wait I forgot.” She pulled out six large buttons. Two for eyes. One for the nose, and the rest for the mouth. “There. Perfect.” She wrapped her arms around Lex with a huge smile. “What shall we name him?”

Lex gave her an odd look. “It’s snow.”

She rolled her eyes. “Yes, I’m quite aware that it’s snow, but-” She waved her hands for emphasis. “He also has clothing and a mouth. You should understand that it’s an honor to name a snowman.”

Lex rolled his eyes and sighed. “Fred.”

She shook her head. “I hate the name Fred.”

He looked at her incredulously. Fine. Lucious.”

“Lucious?” She put her finger to her lips in thought. She finally nodded. “Sophisticated. I like it.” She leaned up to kiss his cheek.

“Good,” Lex said. “Can we go inside now? I’m freezing and it’s getting dark.”

Lex stoked the fire as Chloe settled next to him. He glanced up as she handed him a mug filled with steaming hot chocolate. He frowned when she handed him a stick and placed a bag of marsh mellows between them.

“What’s the stick for?” He asked.

She gave him an odd look. “To roast the Marsh mellows.”

He looked at her as if she’d grown and extra head. “You want me to put a marsh
mellow on a dirty stick from outside?” He watched as she grabbed two marsh
mellows and stuck them down onto the stick. “What are you-” he trailed off as she stuck them into the fire.

“You know, it amazes me how you’ve done everything, but the simplest things.” She said with an amused smile. She pulled the stick from the fire and blew on the marsh mellow. She handed it to Lex. “Taste it. Go ahead.”

He shook his head. “No I’m not-” He trailed off when she shoved the stuck into his hand. He sighed heavily and took a small bite. His eyes widened in surprise as the marsh mellow melted into his mouth. He took a bigger bite and almost moaned from pleasure. “This is good.”

She grinned. “Told you.” She shook her head and reached for another stick to roast her marsh mellows. “You love marsh mellows.”

“I do.” he said softly.

Chloe smiled as she pulled her treats from the fire and blew onto them. “Thank you for bringing me here.” She said. “It’s beautiful and peaceful.”

Lex nodded. “Thank you for coming.”

She took a sip of her hot chocolate. “You said you used to come here with your mom?”

He nodded. “We spent our last Christmas here together. Well, the last Christmas before my accident.”

She nodded in understanding. “Were you- happy?”

“Yes.” He answered without hesitation. “It was just the two of us. I’d gotten so many gifts that year. We did so much together.” He trailed off and cleared his throat. “I wanted to move here. I thought I’d never feel that happy again.” He glanced at her. “Until now.”

Chloe paused and smiled at him. “Yeah?” She asked and he nodded.

“Oh yeah.” He leaned over to kiss her. “Chloe- I, may not seem like it, but I’m happy. For the first time in a long time. I am really truly happy.”

She sighed and kissed him again. “Scary isn’t it?”

He nodded. “Yes. But, I think-we’ll be okay.”

Chloe placed her drink down and turned to straddle his waist. “I think so too.” She said. She kissed him once before moving to whisper into his ear. “Lex, can we go sledding tomorrow?”

Part 20
12/20

Lex silently counted the freckles that dusted Chloe’s back and shoulders. His lips followed his counting, kissing each one, unable to resist. He pulled back when she shivered and sighed his name.

He reached over and placed another wood onto the fire. Instead of going up to the bedroom, they had decided to spend the rest of the night in front of the fire place.

They hadn’t done much sleeping. He grinned stupidly as his thoughts turned back to the previous night. He knew he should feel stupid for smiling so much and he’d never smiled so much before in his life but he couldn’t help it.

Chloe made him happy. He leaned down to kiss her milky white shoulder, pulling back when she shivered.

“Morning.” He murmured into her ear.

She sighed and turned, pulling the blanket over her shoulders as she did. “Morning.” She said sleepily. She smiled up at him and raised her hand to his cheek. “This is the most comfortable I’ve ever been sleeping on the floor after a night really vigorous sex.”

Lex chuckled. “I think its the fact that we’re sleeping on two very fluffy blankets.”

Chloe stretched with a small smile. “Did you just use he word fluffy?”

Lex moved, sliding on top of her as he did. “Don’t tell anyone.”

Chloe wrapped her arms around his neck. “Christmas is a few days away.” She said breathlessly.

Lex nodded and kissed down the side of her neck. “Are you excited?”

She moaned and tilted her head back. “I’m always excited.” She ran her fingers down his back. “I forgot to tell you. I’m having dinner at my dad’s tomorrow night. He invited you too.”

Lex paused in ministrations and he slowly lifted his head. “Dinner?” He asked and she nodded.

“I haven’t seen him in months.” She grinned at the look on his face. “Don’t look at me that way it’s only dinner.”

“Shall I wear a bullet proof vest?” He asked and she laughed.

“I would.” She advised as he lowered his head toward her neck.

He sucked gently on the skin directly under her jaw. “Well since I’m going to die tomorrow, I mind as well enjoy the time I have left on this earth.”

“This doesn’t look very safe.” Lex commented as he and Chloe settled onto the sled at the top of the large hill they had trekked up.

She leaned back against him, trying to get into a comfortable position. “Looks safe to me.” she glanced back at Lex. “Push off.”

Lex did as requested pushing off with his feet and hands. They teetered off of the top and Chloe leaned forward and they began to slide.

She laughed loudly as they slid down at a speed far more faster than normal. Lex’s arms tightened her waist as they continued sliding, long after they were off of the hill. They continued sliding. They continued sliding, until they bumped into a gate which stopped their momentum.

Chloe laughed loudly, trying to catch her breath as Lex helped her stand up.

“That was fun.” she breathed and glanced up at Lex. “Lets go again.”

He frowned at her. “Go again? It took us a whole eight minutes to walk up that giant hill. Not to mention-” He was cut off as she threw a snowball at him. He glared at her and wiped the snow from his face. “You’re dead.”

She held her hands up with a smile as she backed away. “No. Now Lex. Be sensible about this! Be- ahhhh!” She screamed as he lifted her up and carried her over toward a small snow drift. “No!” She screeched as he tossed her into the snow drift. She sputtered as flakes dusted onto her tongue. She playfully glared at him as he smiled triumphantly down at her. “No fair!” She whined.

“You deserved it.” he said crossing his arms in front of his chest. “That’s what happens when you mess with-” He was cut off as she grabbed one of his legs and tugged with all of her might.

He fell forward, headfirst into the show drift. He tried to stand up, but was stopped by her jumping on top of him. He turned onto his back and held his hands up in surrender as she sat above him with a snowball in her hands.

“You give?” She asked.

“N-” He was cut off by the snowball being shoved in his face.

She yelped as he suddenly bucked his hips and rolled over on top of her. They wrestled in the snow, battling for dominance. It was Lex who won and he pinned her arms above her head, smiling at the way she fought to free herself.

Chloe felt like Jello as she tried to squirm her way from underneath Lex’s heavy body. She giggled as she pathetically failed at the attempt. She could feel snow everywhere, seeping into her shirt and jeans. “I give!” She finally called.

“That’s better.” Lex said and released her. He watched as she continued to laugh with a soft smile. He leaned down and kissed her smiling mouth, once then twice. He pulled away, his expression softening by the minute. “Chloe?”

Chloe’s laughter tapered off at the expression on his face. “Lex?”

Lex blinked and swallowed. His eyes went wide as if he came onto a sudden epiphany. “Chloe, Chloe- I-”

“Bathroom!” She cut in eyes wide.

He frowned down at her. “Bathroom?” He repeated and she nodded, pushing at his shoulders.

“Yeah!” She squeaked and stood up. “I have to pee. Really bad and I- I can’t hold it!”

He frowned as he slowly stood up. “Okay. Chloe, are you alright?” He asked and she nodded her head.

“Yup.” She gave him a forced smile. “Uh- you grab the sleigh and I’ll use the bathroom.”

Lex watched as she quickly hurried toward the house, a deep worried frown on his face.

Part 21

12/21

“So you just stopped him?” Lois asked and Chloe felt back against her couch pillows.

“Yes.” She said. “I- I’d gotten scared. I panicked. I could see the words form in his mind before he said and I just- freaked out!”

Lois frowned and sat down next to her cousin. “So, let me get this straight. Lex, who has been your friend for eleven-”

“And a half.” She said, her voice muffled from the pillows.

“The same guy that you’ve been crushing on for god knows how long. You guys start dating, you have the amazing sex, he takes you on a romantic getaway and just as he’s about to tell you he’s in love with you; you stop him?”

“That sounds about right.” Chloe said and she sat up, looking at her cousin with deep frown. “What’s wrong with me?”

Lois reached over and plucked a candy cane from Chloe’s Christmas tree. “You got me.” She said softly. She unwrapped the spearmint treat and took a bite out of it. “I guess it’s just more of your usual Sullivan weirdness going on.” She crunched loudly on the candy.

Chloe put a hand to her head. She shook it gently. “I’m so stupid.”

Lois took another bite of her candy an chewed slowly. “Yup.”

Chloe’s shoulders dropped. “Its just- he’s- I mean once he says that for him its-Its all or nothing with Lex.” She looked at Lois. “Do you know what that means?”

“Uh-” Lois said. “Growing old together?”

Chloe sighed. “I’m afraid Lois. I mean we just got together. Aren’t things moving too fast?”

Lois frowned at her. “Too fast?” she asked. “As long as you two have been secretly wanting each other? Chloe if that’s how you define fast then you’re stupider than you’re acting.”

Chloe glared at her. “You’re suppose to be making me feel better.”

“Says who?” She shook her head. “Look Chloe, you’re acting stupid. You’re making excuses. Just because you’re afraid to let go and give in completely doesn’t mean you get to cop out.”

Chloe’s frown deepened and she buried her face into her couch pillow with a groan.

Lois tilted her head. “Do you love him?” She asked seriously.

Chloe thought for a long moment. The past few weeks had probably been the best weeks of her life. Even before she and Lex had admitted their feelings to each other. Spending this time with Lex, trying to get him to get into the spirit of Christmas, was probably the most fun she had in a long time. Then she thought about the relationship she was developing with Lex. How sweet he was being with her. The incredible sex. The way he made her feel inside by the mere thought of him. She sighed heavily.

Lois nodded. “There you go.” She said before grinning.

Chloe glanced up at Lois with a small smile. “I’m stupid.”

“Pretty much. But I’m sure you can fix the mistake you made.”

Chloe idly glanced over at Lex as they made their way over to her father’s. He had been strangely quiet when he had picked her up at her place. She knew she had probably hurt his feelings by cutting him off when he was right in the middle of claiming his love for her. He had been similarly quiet on their way from Montana.

She had promised herself the moment she saw him tonight, she would let him know her feelings. She would seal the deal. But, as soon as he appeared on her doorstep, she had clamed up. The timing just seemed off and it seemed wrong that she would say those words to him when he was going to say it first.

“So, how was work?” She winced at how lame that sounded.

“Fine.” He answered.

She glanced over at him. His expression was blank as he stared straight ahead. “Am I- still invited to the Holiday party?”

He frowned at her. “Of course.” He said. “Why wouldn’t you be?”

She let out the relieved breath she had been holding. Okay, so he wasn’t hating her. “I can’t wait you know?”

He smiled slightly. “Neither can I.” He said, sarcasm clearly in his tone.

She grinned, reaching over to rested her hand on his leg. “It’ll be fun.”

“Uh huh.” He said as he pulled onto the street her dad’s house was on.

“We’re here.” She perked up.

Lex sighed heavily. “Great.”

Gabe opened the door before Chloe could ring the bell. “My BusyBee!”

Chloe grinned. “Dad!” She greeted. They hugged and she laughed as he easily lifted her off of the ground.

“How’s my little girl?” Gabe asked when they pulled away. He held her hands in his own as he looked her up and down. “You look more beautiful than usual.”

Chloe grinned. “Dad.” She said embarrassingly. She glanced over toward her step mother and embraced her. “Hi Rachel.”

Rachel smiled as she returned Chloe’s hug. “Hello you. Your father’s right you know. You look gorgeous.”

Chloe grinned. “Thanks!” She glanced over her shoulder at Lex, who was standing awkwardly to the side. She rolled her eyes and reached for his hand. She pulled him closer.

Gabe’s eyes moved from his daughter’s toward Lex. He lifted his hand. “Hello Lex.”

Lex gripped the older man’s hand in his own. “Hello Gabe.” He said just as softly.

Chloe stred at the two as they continued to shake hands. She looked over at Rachel with wide eyes.

“Well!” Rachel said, breaking the spell between the two. “Lets get inside while dinner’s still hot hmm?”

Lex wasn’t surprised to see Gabe’s home similarly decorated in Christmas decorum the same way Chloe’s was. The Christmas tree itself was a direct replica of Chloe’s. He couldn’t surpress the smile.

He turned his attention back to the story Gabe was telling an embarrassing story about Chloe and a marble.

“She got the whole thing stuck up there. We had to take her to the emergency room!”

“Dad!” Chloe said, glancing at Lex with a red face.

Lex gave an amused smile. “You did that at twelve?”

She huffed. “I was writing an expose on the dangers of marbles for children.”

Rachel smiled. “It sounds interesting.”

Gabe nodded. “Even at twelve she was writing stories and getting into trouble.”

Lex smiled at her. “That sounds about right.”

Chloe stuck her tongue out at him.

Rachel and Gabe looked at each other.

“Uh, Chloe sweetie, why don’t you come into the kitchen with me so we can prepare dessert.”

Chloe looked up at Rachel, then at her father who was busy staring down at his glass of water. She glanced at Lex who smile bravely at her.

“Fine.” She sighed and stood up.

Chloe tried to put her ear against the kitchen door and nearly jumped out of her skin when Rachel put a hand on her arm.

“I wouldn’t listen.” Rachel advised softly. She guided Chloe away from the door. “Here, help me cut out pieces.”

Chloe nodded dumbly and took the knife she was handed. “What is my dad saying to him?” she asked.

Rachel smiled as she pulled the Apple pie from the oven. “Oh you know, he’s probably threatening Lex’s life. Giving him the third the degree.” Her grin widened at Chloe’s horrified look. “Don’t worry sweetie, I made him promise to go easy on your honey.”

Chloe sighed heavily. “Thanks.” She said.

Rachel grinned. “You know when you told your father about you and Lex finally getting together he was shocked.” She shook her head. “I mean you two were so close, it was bound to happen.”

Chloe nodded. “I guess.”

Rachel grinned. “I was so happy for the both of you. So, when’s the wedding?”

Chloe’s eyes widened in surprise. “I-what?”

Rachel’s smile widened. “Don’t tell me you don’t see the way he looks at you? I mean Chloe, stars practically shine in his eyes when he looks at you.”

Chloe rubbed the back of her neck in a nervous gestgure. “I didn’t notice.” She moved toward the cooling pie. She never noticed.

Rachel studied Chloe for a long moment. She placed a hand on the younger girl’s shoulder. “He loves you.” Rachel said softly. “Trust me on this.”

Chloe paused in her movements. Hearing those words slide from someone else’s mouth. It filled her with vigor. She smiled.

“Call me when you get home sweet heart.” Her father murmured as he wrapped his arms around her in a tight hug. “You’re going to be fine.” He whispered into her ear. “I’m glad you’re happy.”

Chloe pulled back with a smile. “Thanks dad. I love you.” She moved nad hugged Rachel goodbye. “Dinner was delicious.”

“Thank you sweetie.” She said, rubbing the younger girls back. “We’ll see you on Christmas Eve.”

Chloe nodded and turned to Lex, raising a surprised eyebrow when he reached to shake her father’s hand. The second handshake, she noted, was much more friendlier than the first.

“It was nice seeing you again Gabe.” He said and Gabe nodded with a small smile.

“Yes. And remember what I said.” He said with a small wink.

Chloe frowned. “About what?” She asked as Lex reached for her hand and pulled her toward the car. “See you on the twenty fourth!” She called.

They rode in silence for ten minutes before Chloe spoke. “So,” She said softly. “What did you and my dad talk about?”

He smiled. “Oh you know. He warned me not to hurt you. Threatened to murder me, the usual.”

She swallowed. “You didn’t, get angry did you?”

Lex shook his head. “No. I actually respect your father Chloe.”

She nodded. “I know.” She knew there had to be more said, but she also knew he was probably never going to tell her. She glanced at him, licking her lips with indecision. Rachel’s earlier words floated through her mind and she cleared her throat.

“Are you sleeping at my place tonight?” He asked. “Because I-”

“I love you.” She suddenly blurted and her eyes widened.

Lex pulled over onto the side and placed the car in park. He slowly turned to face Chloe. “What did you just say?”

She swallowed. “I love you?”

He frowned at her. “Are you asking me or telling me?”

She shook her head. “No I’m- I’m telling you. I love you.” She looked at him. “I’m in love with you Lex and I’m sorry I didn’t let you say it to me that day because you obviously were going to, but I got scared and panicked and-” she was cut off by his lips against her own.

They kissed softly, and Lex pulled away slowly.

“It’s okay.” He whispered. “I love you too.”

Hearing the words fall from his lips brought a joy to Chloe she didn’t think she’d feel. She grinned at him. “Okay.” She kissed him one more time. “Lets go home.”

Part 22

12/22

Chloe smiled against Lex’s mouth as her ankled wrapped around the back of his thigh. “Sapm ia again.” She mumbled.

He pulled away from her mouth with a raised eyebrow. “What was that?”

She laughed. “I said say it again.”

He sighed. “Chloe.” He grumbled.

She smiled sweetly up at him. “Just one more time.” She kissed his chin. “Pleaseee.”

He rolled his eyes. “I love you.”

She grinned and pulled him down for a long sweet kiss. She knew those words were hard for Lex to say so she was using up her persuasion points on the matter. She pulled him down for another kiss. “You havn’t a clue how hearing that makes me feel.”

He chuckled. “No? I think I have an idea from the way you keep asking me.”

She giggled. “Sorry.” She said. “I know I’m pushing it, but it’s the holiday season!”

Lex kissed behind her ear. “What excuse will you use, I wonder, when the holiday season is out.”

She laughed again. “Well, Martin Luther King, Jr day is right around the corner.”

Lex laughed loudly, his chest rumbling from the effort. He kissed her once. “You’re impossible.”

Chloe grinned, never before seeing such a happy expression on his face before. She put that there. “So, we played hookey from work.”

“You played hookey from work.” He corrected. “I own the company. I can do whatever I want. Besides that party is tomorrow and I want to avoid as much as I possibly can.”

She rolled her eyes. “Well, the reason why I asked you to play hookey with me is because I wanted this to be our Holiday Fun day.”

Lex gave her a funny look. “Chloe, Holiday fun day?”

She nodded with a sweet smile. “This is my big finish-” she trailed off when he suddenly rolled off of her. She sat up. “What?”

He breathed as he stared up at the ceiling.. “I thought you wanted to have sex all day.”

She giggled and clambered on top of him. “Well, yeah, but I figured we could watch a few movies, cuddle-”

“Cuddle?” He asked.

Chloe laughed again at the confused look on his face. “You’ve never cuddled before?”

“Not since I was eight.” He answered honestly. He wrapped his hands around her waist.

“But you cuddle with me all the time. Even before we started with the sex.”

“That was cuddling?” He asked, feigning stupidity.

“Ha ha very funny.” She bit her lip as his busy hands moved up and down her th ighs.

“Can we call it extreme groping?” He said.

She laughed again. “You can call it whatever you want so long as you-Oh!” She grinned.

Lex grinned up at her. “Sex first, holiday fun later?”

She smiled. “What do you think?”

“We’re going to watch Home alone 1 and 2?” Lex asked as Chloe placed the first home lone into the DVD player. “They lost that kid twice? Maybe they should put a leash on him.”

Chloe rolled her eyes. “Home alone one is a Christmas classic. One is better than two of course. We won’t discuss three and four. ”

She handed Lex a bowl of popcorn as the movie started.

“Why is the guy from Goodfellas in this?”

“Shh.” Chloe shushed him. He pursed his lips.

They watched the rest of the movie in relative silence.

“I hate his brother.” Lex commented.

“Me too.” Chloe said. “He’s disgusting.”

“Finally,” Lex sighed as the movie ended.

“You liked it.” Chloe teased. “I saw you laugh a few times.”

“I didn’t say I didn’t like it.” Lex said. “I enjoyed the violence.”

“Of course you did.” She said. “Want a break before I put the second movie?”

Lex glanced at her. “How long of a break?”

She grinned. “Stay right here. I’ll be back in eight minutes.”

Lex frowned as she flounced out of the living room. “Why eight minutes?” He called.

“Because, ten is too long!” She called over her shoulder.

He sat back against the couch pillows. He glanced up as he heard a bang and a loud curse. “Chlo?”

“Just a minute!” She said.

He shook his head, wondering what bizarre idea she concocted up next. He glanced at the time, seeing it was well past eight minutes. “Chloe?” He called. “Are you-” He trailed off as she emerged from the bedroom. His eyes widened.

She had on a candy striped mesh bikini top, garter and g-string with white marabou trim. The red stockings she had on added to the candy striped hotness topped off with ruby red shoes. He watched as she placed a santa hat on his head.

He swallowed. “Chloe?”

She grinned and gave him a little twirl. “Surprise!” She said with a small giggle. “You like it?”

He blinked at her. “You look-” He trailed off and swallowed again.

She smiled at his expression, noting the way his eyes were getting considerably darker. She moved and slid into his lap. “So, I kind of tricked you.”

He kissed her behind her ear. “Yeah?”

She nodded. “I wasn’t really planning on making you watch movies with me. I was actually planning on putting on this sexy candy cane getup. My last ditch effort at getting you into the Christmas spirit.” She lifted the santa hat off of her head and placed it on his own.

“Well,” Lex said. He stood up, Chloe in his arms. “I certaintly have a new appreciation for candy canes.”

Chloe grinned. “It’s a start.” She pointed down the hall. “On to the bedroom!”

Part 23

12/23

Chloe stood to the side, secretly smiling as she watched Lex schmooze with his employees. She knew he was probably uncomfortable, but he hid it well. She watched as he moved on from table to table, greeting his employees even stopping long enough to have a conversation with them. She knew they had to be surprised by this, even more surprise at the welcoming smile he was currently sporting. Chloe couldn’t be happier for him.

She also couldn’t be more happier because of the delicious crab cakes she couldn’t stop eating.

“Hey, you came!”

Chloe looked over at Marcy. She smiled. “Hi Marcy!” Chloe greeted as she hugged the older woman. “Everything looks beautiful.”

Marcy nodded as she glanced over at Lex. “Yeah it is. Lex seems to be in good spirits.”

“Yeah.” Chloe grinned.

Marcy glanced over at Chloe. “Everyone is just so relieved because he can be a real pain during the holiday season. Everyone has to avoid him.”

Chloe laughed. “I could only imagine.” She said.

Marcy nodded. “Yes.” She cleared her throat. “I’m sure you had something to do with it. I think it was great that you got him into the Christmas Spirit. It was a great idea.”

“Thanks.” Chloe said. “You know it wasn’t easy. Lex can be difficult.”

“Tell me about it.” Marcy said. “Every time I mentioned the Christmas party, he slammed his office door in my face.”

Chloe giggled. “That sounds about his right reaction.”

Marcy laughed as she nodded in agreement. “He has, however been much better these past few weeks.” She cleared her throat. “I must say that it’s great that you two are together finally after all this time.”

Chloe looked up startled before glancing back at Lex, who continued to greet his employees. “Yeah.” she said with a soft smile.

Chloe, who was busy having an intense conversation about the importance of a good seasoned ham with Griswald, who was dressed as Santa, glanced up as Lex slowly made his way toward her, an armful of wrapped gifts in his arms.

“You have gifts!” She said by way of greeting.

He nodded and silently handed his gifts off to one of the attendants to place it somewhere safe. He turned toward Chloe with a small smile. “Hi.”

She grinned at him. “Hi back.” She patted the seat next to her. “I saved you a seat. Did you enjoy schmoozing with your employees?”

He sat next to her, and grabbed the glass of wine she handed him. “It wasn’t as torturous as I thought it’d be.”

She smiled up at him. “That’s great! Santa here was just telling me the secrets on how to have a great seasoned ham for Christmas dinner.”

Santa Claus nodded. “Yes. The secret is lots of honey and cayenne pepper.”

Chloe smiled and Lex looked at her as if she’d grown a second head.

“Isn’t he great?” she asked.

“Amazing.” Lex said sarcastically. He glanced over at Griswald who had downed a glass of brandy. “Isn’t it odd that you sat next to Santa Claus at the Charity dinner a few weeks ago?”

Chloe paused, the glass of eggnog halfway toward her mouth. “Hey.” She said softly. “That’s right.” She smiled at him. “We’ve come full circle.”

Lex nodded. “Although I don’t remember the first Santa being quite this drunk.”

She grinned at Lex. “You’re right.” She said. “But it’s all the more amusing huh?”

Lex smiled and to Chloe’s surprise, leaned over for a small kiss.

“Excuse me? Everyone.” Marcy’s voice sounded over the loud speakers. She smiled as everyone looked up. “Welcome to the Luthorcorp staff Christmas party.” Everyone applauded. “Before we go back to dancing and eating, I want to give Mr. Luthor this microphone to say a few words.”

Chloe grinned at Lex as he sighed and stood up.

Lex grabbed the Microphone from Marcy with a smile. “Thank you all for coming. I hope you’re all enjoying yourselves.” He paused as everyone agreed with loud applauding. “I’m glad,” He said. “I just want to say thank for being wonderful employees. You all work so hard and the work you do makes this company such a great success. Keep up the great work.”

“Thank you!” Someone said, followed by a number of other thank yous. He smiled and turned to go, pausing when his secretary stopped him.

“Just a second Lex. We wanted to give you this first.” She handed him a giant card. “It’s signed by every employee here.”

Lex took the large card from her hands, a surprised expression his face. “Thank you.”

“We just want you to know that you’re a great boss. Ten times better than your father. No offense.” Everyone laughed and agreed.

Chloe grinned as Lex sat back down next to her. She hugged him. “You did great.” She pointed to the large card in his hand. “They gave you gifts and a card.” she winked at him. “They do like you.”

Even though he would probably never say it out loud he was touched. He knew his father’s employees couldn’t stand him when he ran Luthorcorp. He knew they feared him, but couldn’t stand him. He knew he much preferred the liking or fearing. A small smile came onto his face. “Yeah.” He said. “I guess they do.”

I’m dreaming of a white Christmas.

Lex glanced over at Chloe as couples began slow dancing on the dance floor. “Do you want to dance?” He asked, standing up.

Chloe smiled and placed her hand in his own. She let him lead her toward the dance floor and pull her close. She rested her head on his chest as they slowly swayed to the music.

“This is a great party Lex.” Chloe said, looking up at him.

He nodded. “It is. Did you get your fill of crab cakes?”

She laughed. “You know I did.” They kissed once.

“Good.” he said, feeling strangely elated. “Thank you Chloe.” He said. “For everything.”

Chloe smiled. “Oh you’re welcome.” She lied her head back against his chest. “You’re in the spirit.” she said. “I can feel it.”

Chloe leaned back into the couch cushions as Lex massaged her foot. “Oh god.”

Lex smiled as his thumb pressed the instep of her foot. “Good huh?”

She moaned. “You’re a man of many talents. Oh!” She said. “What was that?”

Lex smirked. “That was your liver.” He said as his fingers expertly touched her pressure points.

“Mmm,” she said pressing her other foot into his head. “Do my kidney again.”

He smiled. “Are your feet still sore?”

She nodded. “A little. Heels are evil.” She smiled as he kissed her foot.

“But they look so good on you.” He said. He reached for one of his gifts, but she stopped him.

“No.” She said. “You can’t open your gifts until Christmas Lex. Those are the rules.”

He sighed. “Fine.” He said with a shake of his head.

She smiled. “Speaking of gifts.” She said.

He shook his head. “No.” He said with a smile. “What makes you think I’d tell you what I bought you?”

She crossed her arms in front of her chest. “You’re no fair.”

He smiled. “You have to wait until Christmas. Those are the rules.”

She glared at him. “I guess you can wait for the nightie I was planning on showing you to-Ahhh!” She screeched as he suddenly picked her up.

“I’ll wear the Santa hat if you’ll show me the nightie.” He said.

Chloe thought for a moment. “Naked Lex in nothing but a Santa hat?” She nodded. “I’ll take it.”

Chapter 24

12/24

So this is it. The last chapter of the Advent Calendar. I just want to thank everyone for commenting and enjoying the story. It was extremely fun to write! Well, here we go, happy holidays!

Chloe glanced over Lex’s shoulder as he stood in front of the turkey. “What is it?”

He glanced at her. “You want me to stick my hand in that?”

She rolled her eyes. “You said you wanted to help so you can start by taking the guts out of the turkey.”

He frowned at her. “I meant help by having the party catered.”

Chloe rolled her eyes. “There’s the snob showing his face again.” She smiled sweetly at his glare. “Look all you have to do is stick your hand in there and pull out-”

“That’s disgusting Chloe.” He cut in. “It’s unsanitary- it’s hey!” he said as she grabbed his hand in her own and placed it inside the turkey.

She grinned up at him. “It’s fun. Just reach inside and pull out the guts.”

Lex winced as his hands touched slim. “You know I think you’re doing this to punish me.”

Chloe smiled as he placed the gunk into a bag. “A little.” she admitted. “I actually didn’t want to do that.” She smiled sweetly at his hard glare. She reached up and kissed his cheek. “But you love me and I know you’d do that for me.”

Lex’s glare slowly faded as he reached over the scrub his hands with antibiotic soap. He dried his hands and turned to face Chloe. “That was totally manipulative of you. It’s kind of a turn on.”

She kissed him. “One sexy amazing funny intelligent manipulative girlfriend all for you.”

He smirked and wrapped his arms around her waist for a deep kiss.

“Get a room you two.”

They both jumped back and turned to face Lois who had burst into the kitchen.

Lex rolled his eyes and glared at Chloe’s cousin, who smiled a the two of them.

“Lois!” Chloe admonished. “Shut up and you’re here early. I’m shocked.”

Lois shrugged. “Well since you said Lex was helping you cook, I couldn’t resist and miss this disaster.”

Lex only gave an annoyed sigh. “disaster would be something you would know a good deal about huh?”

Lois glared and opened her mouth to respond, but Chloe stopped her before she could.

“A few rules.” Chloe said softly. “While you’re here, you’ll keep the sarcasm down to zero. No sniping.” She said. She removed her hand.

Lois sighed. “Fine.”

Chloe nodded. “Good.” she turned and handed Chloe a bowl of string beans. “Snap those will you?”

Lois rolled her eyes and took the bowl from her. “Slave driver.” She muttered.

Chloe turned back to Lex and smiled. “You can help me season the turkey.”

They worked in relatively silence and Lois couldn’t help but watch the two. She watched the way they spoke quietly to each other. She watched the way they moved around in each other, almost in synch with one another. She could admit never seeing Lex Luthor so happy before. She shuddered at the creepiness. She could however, smile at the pure happiness her cousin had on her face. She knew Chloe had never had much luck in romance. She knew her cousin had become lonely. She had been tired of seeing her cousin so unhappy. She had been tired of seeing Chloe secretly holding out for her best friend without making one move.

As much as she hated to admit, she could tell by the way Lex was looking at her that he loved Chloe. That he would take care of her. That he would try and make her happy. As much as she loathed to admit it that Lex Luthor would soon be apart of her family.

She sighed to herself.

She was kind of okay with that.

“I’m going to call my dad and see if they’re bringing anything.” Chloe announced. She turned to leave the kitchen before pausing. “No fighting.” she said to the two of them before leaving.

Lois frowned. “I wasn’t-” She trailed off as Chloe left the kitchen. She sighed and glanced over at Lex who was busy cutting up a green pepper. “So-” She trailed off as he stopped cutting and his shoulders tensed. “I was just wondering when you two are getting married?”

Lex turned to face her, an unreadable expression on his face. “Excuse me?”

Lois rolled her eyes. “You know. Chloe, your beautiful girlfriend. My cousin. When are you going to marry her?”

Lex laughed a bit. “Not that it’s any of your business, but I don’t think we’re quite ready for that yet.”

“Hmm,” She said. “Maybe. Are you afraid she’ll turn homicidal because I know that’s what kind of always happens with you.”

He glared at her. “No. I’m not worried about that. I’m-” He trailed off and gave her an annoyed look. “It’s non of your business.”

Lois shrugged. “Whatever.” She cleared her throat. “I just want to say-thank you for making her happy.”

Lex turned, a surprised look on his face. “Uh-you’re welcome.”

Lois glared at him. “But if you hurt her I swear to you I’ll get superman to rip you in two.”

He sighed. “Keep your husband’s threats to yourself please.” He looked up at her surprised expression. “Don’t worry, your secret’s safe with me.”

Lois stared at him, pure panic in her eyes. “Chloe-”

“Didn’t tell me.” He said. “I’ve known for years Lois. The rest of Metropolis may be idiots, but I’m not.” He turned back to his chopping.

Lois didn’t know what to say. Her first instinct was the accuse him of what she didn’t know. Lex had known Clark was Superman for years. He hadn’t used that knowledge against either one of them. She sighed. “Fine.” She continued snapping her string beans. “Welcome to the family.”

Chloe smiled at her family as they complimented the meal. Lex sat beside her, eating his third fill of her fruitcake. Lois and Clark sat across from she and Lex and she couldn’t help but notice the suspicious looks Clark kept giving Lex every so often. Lois had told her that Lex knew who Clark was and she had been surprised. He’d never told her he had knew and she had a sneaking suspicion that he knew she probably knew.

Her father and Rachel sat at each end of the table.

“The food was really good Chloe.” Rachel complimented. “Especially the turkey.”

Chloe grinned. “Thanks.Lex cooked it.” she placed her hand on his knee.

“I’m surprised we’re all alive.” Clark commented.

“I watched him very closely.” Lois said with a grin. To everyone’s surprise, she winked at Lex.

Chloe smiled at her cousin before looking over at Lex who busy ignoring them.

“All talk of poisoning aside,” Gabe said. He raised his glass. “I’d like to propose a toast.”

Everyone raised their glass.

“To family,” He said. “Which is very important to all of us here, especially during the holidays.”

Everyone agreed.

“I’d also like to welcome Lex into the family. Welcome!”

Chloe smiled and leaned over to kiss his cheek.

Lex, who stared at Gabe with wide eyes. “Uh-thank you.”

“Yeah. Welcome.” Chloe said. “Now you finally have an excuse to act like a moron once in a while.”

Everyone laughed, except Lex, but he smiled when Chloe leaned over to kiss his cheek.

“Have you seen Lex?” Chloe asked as she handed Lois a cup of egg nogg.

Lois took the offered cup. “I saw him on the balcony. I think all of family holiday cheer was getting to him.”

Chloe nodded and made her way toward the balcony. She opened the doors, surprised to see Lex leaning against the brick balcony, overlooking the city. “Hey.” she said. “I‘ve been looking all over for you.”

He turned “Hey.”

She leaned against him. “Feeling stuffy in there?”

He nodded. “Needed a break from too much Clark glaring.”

Chloe giggled. “He’ll stop eventually. He’s just paranoid when someone finds out. He knows you won’t do anything.”

Lex nodded and glanced back out at the city. “I- uh- was doing something. About everything.”

She looked up at him. “Oh yeah?”

He nodded. “Yeah. I thought I’d never enjoy a Christmas again. I hated it. Loathed the season.” He glanced down at her. “But spending it with you and all you’ve done for me- I look forward to the next one.”

She smiled and kissed him softly. “That’s great!”

He returned her kiss. “I wanted to give you something.” He pulled out a small wrapped box.

Chloe took the carefully wrapped gift from his hands, her heart pounding. She began to panic. She hoped it wasn’t what she thought it was. She wasn’t ready for that. Not yet. They’d just gotten together. Lex always wanted to move so fast! She opened the box and frowned when it was empty. She looked up at him.

He grabbed her hand. “I know we’re still getting used to being together this way and yes, I do want to marry you. You know me Chloe, I’d already planned on asking you the day after we had sex.”

She laughed nervously at that. “Yeah.”

He nodded with an amused smiled “But I won’t ask you now. When I know you’re ready, I’ll ask you, but for now I’ll promise you that I promise to make you as happy as you’ve made me.”

Chloe felt herself getting misty eyed. “Lex.” She wrapped her arms around her neck.

He wrapped his own arms around her. “I know it won’t be perfect. But I promise to try as hard as I can.”

She kissed him softly. “My gift won’t top this.” She whispered softly.

He shrugged. “I already have what I need.”

She laughed. “You do know that this is an extremely happy ending to an otherwise strange holiday season?”

Lex shrugged again. “It seemed pretty normal to me.”

She laughed. “Liar.” She pulled away from him and reached for his hand. “What do you say we go in side and have some hot chocolate?”

He smiled as he led her inside. “Extra marsh mellows?”

She shook her head. “Of course silly. Lets just hope we can wrestle them from Lois.”

THE END

Fouzia
30th November 2010, 00:49
I follow this story last year and I still LOVE It^^^
thank you!!!!!!!

starmoon
20th December 2010, 00:10
i love this story the ending was so sweet and funny. good luck with getting the marsh mellows from lois.

HotCrossedBunny
25th May 2014, 21:01
This story was amazing and so sweet. I love that Chloe and Lex are such close friends before they even start realising their feelings for each other and that Chloe is determined to make him happy. I also love the way that they interact with each other, so comfortable, so brilliant. Now, as for Lionel. He wouldn't even go out to play in the snow with his own son? That no good self-indulgent bastard! Forget destroying his company, let me deal with him, he will never bother poor little Lex again! Grrrrr! Anyway, great story. I really enjoyed it.

Ami Rose
22nd December 2014, 22:22
Amazing holiday fic, loved it!