PDA

View Full Version : [Christmas] Christmas Future? (Secret Fanfiction Santa: Ultra) --PG

Kit Merlot
23rd December 2009, 00:48
Title: Christmas Future?
Author: Kit Merlot
Spoilers: None, story takes place during an AU S5
Rating: PG
Summary: Lex helps Chloe have a happy Christmas.
AN: I went AU because I couldn't deal with the Lexana in S5, so as far as I'm concerned, it never happened:grin3:

Christmas Future?

Chloe Sullivan stood just outside of Lex's study, watching him with a concerned gaze. He was a Luthor, so he had his implacable mask on, but Chloe could see just how angry he was.

He was clenching his jaw in frustration before finally spitting out his words. "He's purposefully ruined it Chloe. Just like I knew he would!"

"Lex, it's not that bad. Maybe..."

But before she could get her thought out, Lex had already interrupted her. "If one more incident happens, I won't be responsible for my actions."

Chloe nodded in acceptance, "Okay Lex, if Lionel Luthor does one more nice, Christmasy thing, you have my permission to kill him."

Lex shot her a sour look, but he couldn't help smiling at her words. "Promise?"

When Lex had decided to host an open house Christmas Eve party at his mansion in Smallville, Chloe had jokingly asked him if he'd recently hit his head.

He resisted the urge to roll his eyes and instead just smiled at her. "I'm not suffering from a concussion Chloe. I just want to actually do something for Christmas Eve instead of going to yet another dull party in Metropolis."

Truthfully, his entire reason for hosting the open house was for Chloe's benefit.

Not that she was aware of it.

The Christmas season was usually one of Chloe's favorite times of the year, and when she arrived back in Smallville for the Thanksgiving holiday, she had been filled with fond nostalgia for the wreaths that adorned every door and for the old fashioned lights that decorated the store fronts and street lamps of the main street.

But her spirits dimmed slightly when her dad told her that he was going to have to work on Christmas Eve and Christmas Day. She still enjoyed their turkey and stuffing dinner, but there had been a lump in her throat when she realized that this was going to be the first time in her life that she and her dad wouldn't be celebrating Christmas together.

Her dad had finally found a new job as a dispatcher for a Luthorcorp trucking company in Grandville, and he was thrilled to finally be employed again. He was making good money and could start to rebuild Chloe's college fund and his own retirement savings.

And while she had a partial academic scholarship, a journalism grant, and her Daily Planet internship to help defray the cost of tuition, a college freshmen still needed money to have fun with. Hence, Gabe's wanting to replenish the college fund.

Of course, if Chloe was ever truly desperate for money, she could always ask her billionaire friend to help her, but Gabe knew that Chloe would never trade on their friendship that way.

And while he had been wary at first about his teen age daughter maintaining a friendship with a young man six years older then her, he'd been impressed by how deeply Lex respected Chloe as a person.

So while the Sullivans were thrilled that Gabe was gainfully employed, the major down size was that the job required Gabe to work holidays. And as the newest employee hired, he drew the shortest straw and had to cover all deliveries on Christmas Eve and Christmas Day.

It was in the first week of December that Lex had learned that Gabe wouldn't be spending Christmas in Smallville. He had tried his best to help get Gabe's schedule changed, but in the end, Chloe knew that she and her dad were just going to have to accept it and move on.

And right after that, Lex decided that he would have a party, and that Chloe had to help him organize it.
Chloe's last few weeks of her first semester at Metropolis University were filled with her studying for finals, writing papers, working at her internship at The Daily Planet, and now organizing Lex's party.

She had been put in charge of the guest list, sending out invites and keeping track of the R.S.V.P's. It seemed as if all of the residents of Smallville had been invited, and part of greater Metropolis.

And Lex also made a concentrated effort to keep the party very family oriented. He had apparently went with a Victorian theme and hired a man to play Father Christmas for all of the kids.

Chloe didn't have a spare moment to feel sorry for herself. Instead, all of her hard work forced her to count her own blessings and to see the true spirit of the holidays.

So when she arrived on his doorstep, which looked quite festive with it’s simply draped pine garland, she expected to see a calm and collected Lex Luthor.

Instead, she saw that he was trying to smile cheerfully, but it came out as a grimace. And before Chloe could even open her mouth, Lex choked out two words: "My father."

Lionel Luthor was not one of Chloe's favorite people, but she couldn't hold back a smile when she saw him standing next to the Christmas tree in Lex's vast entertainment room, wearing a bright red vest with candy canes and reindeers stitched on it, and singing carols.

He actually had a nice voice and could easily carry a tune, and he was gamefully trying to get the other guests to join in, but everyone in the vicinity had identical shocked looks on their faces.

Lex came up and stood next to her, leaning over so he could whisper in her ear. "He's been here all afternoon. He won't stop smiling, and my God, Chloe, the singing. He just won't stop!"

Chloe could see Lex's desperation, and she was as surprised as anyone at Lionel's actions, but she couldn't help the tiny part of her that enjoyed seeing the usual menacing senior Luthor have some holiday spirit and trying to connect with other people.

Just then Lionel spotted her and shouted out a welcome. "My dear Miss Sullivan, you've finally arrived! I'm so glad to see you. Now, maybe Lex will actually smile."

He then winked at his son, and to Lex's chagrin, some of the guests laughed.

Chloe could see that Lex was about to explode, so she quickly grabbed his arm and steered him out of the room. "Show me the rest of the house, Lex. I know you went overboard on decorating!"

He gave Chloe a mock glare before it dissolved into a genuinely grateful smile. Chloe, above anyone else of his acquaintance, knew of the difficult relationship he had with his dad.

But she was here now and he wasn't going to dwell on unpleasant matters. So he set about showing Chloe the rest of the house.

Chloe was right that Lex had gone overboard, but it was the way he'd done it that left her close to tears. Each room on the ground floor had a theme to it, and he'd chosen the themes from Chloe's favorite holiday memories.

Every year, she and her dad went to see the ballet The Nutcracker on December 26th, or as Chloe insisted on calling it, the Feast of St. Stephen's at Metropolis' Academy of Music. Lex had his conservatory designed to look like Clara's parlour and he had even hired three dancers from the Metropolis Ballet Company to perform.

A Christmas Carol was Chloe's favorite holiday movie, so the dining room had been decorated in a Victorian theme, even down to the food choices which included plum pudding, rum punch and a Christmas goose. He even had servers dressed in Victorian garb.

Chloe could feel her eyes starting to fill with tears, and she turned to look at her friend, overwhelmed by his thoughtfulness.

But being who she was, she couldn't stop herself from trying to lighten the mood. "You couldn't replicate Midnight Mass at St. Brigid's?"

Lex knew that St. Brigid's was Chloe's old parish when she lived in Metropolis with her parents, and her entire family--aunts, uncles, cousins and grandparents--would all attend Midnight Mass together on Christmas Eve.
'In happier times' her dad had always said, but the tradition was important to the Sullivans and Lex knew that Chloe hated missing it.

He shook his head at his irrepressible blonde, and answered, "No, I didn't have time to rebuild an alter in my study. Maybe next year."

Chloe grinned at his response, and then they stared at each other for a full minute before Chloe spoke again, simply saying, "Thank you, Lex. You have no idea how much this means to me."

He reached out his hand, and brushed his fingers across her cheek, wiping her tears away. "I think I do, and you're welcome."

She grabbed his hand before he could pull it away, and held it against her cheek. "Merry Christmas, Lex."

He covered her hand with his other one, and brought it up to his lips, kissing her fingertips softly. "Merry Christmas, Chloe."

Outside of the dining room, Lionel Luthor nodded approvingly, proud of his son for choosing a woman finally worthy of him.

He hated to interrupt their moment, but he was starving, and now was a good as time as ever to get Chloe used to the family. Lionel grabbed as many guests as he could before barging into the dining room.

"There you are, Lex my boy! And Chloe, I knew you'd be wherever Lex was."

But before he could continue, Lex stepped in front of Chloe, "That's enough Dad. I don't know what kind of game you're playing, but keep Chloe out of it!"

Lionel, however, would not be deterred. He stepped into the room, saying, "Lex, you misunderstand me. All I truly want is your happiness, and I think Chloe's continued presence in your life is the key to that."

But before either Chloe or Lex could respond to that, he walked over to the buffet table. "Now I need a piece of that goose before I wither away from hunger."

He waved over all of the guests he had dragged in with him, and gesturing to Lex and Chloe, announced, "Sit down, because we are going to have a nice friendly family-style Christmas, even if it kills us all!" And then he winked at Chloe and Lex.

"What the hell as gotten into him?!" Lex muttered. He looked at Chloe from the corner of his eye to see her reaction and he was relieved to see her smiling.

Chloe just shook her head at Lex's incredulous expression. "I think your dad actually means well, and I happen to agree with him."

And before Lex could answer her, Chloe stood up and faced everyone in the dining room. "Merry Christmas, and if I may quote Tiny Tim, 'God Bless us, everyone.'"

The End

westwingwolf
23rd December 2009, 01:17
That was so sweet of Lex to recreate some of Chloe's favorite Christmas moments. And the thought of Lionel as jolly is scary indeed, no wonder Lex was so unnerved.

lexie
23rd December 2009, 02:50
Loved the fact that Lex made everything in his power to give Chloe a Christmas to remember bringing a little of her past to her present.

Lionel Luthor dressed up in Christmas colours? That`s scary, although it'd have been much scarier to have him dressed as Santa- fortunately, you had a little mercy on poor Lex.:D

MelBee1985
23rd December 2009, 04:50
Cute story.

After reading www's story, it's funny yu mentionned christmas carol as Chloe's favorite movie :D I guess she did hit the right spot lol

It was nice to see Lionel making efforts which is believable in S5 anyway. Good for Chloe to give him a chance and have Lex do the same.

Thanks again for the participation!!

autumngold
23rd December 2009, 09:52
It's a Christmas miracle! Lionel is being nice! Now Christmas will be perfect, if only Lex can actually enjoy it. He should remember that it probably won't happen again until next year. I just wish that someone had sang with Lionel. Maybe Chloe should have joined him in singing a jolly holiday tune? What a cute story! Thanks so much for writing it!

Ultra
23rd December 2009, 20:20
Aaw, Kit, thank you so much this - its beautiful :) I mean seriously, Season 5 without the Lexana, thats perfect before we even start! :grin3:

Lionel being nice is always odd and creepy, but at this point in the series he was making efforts so it does make sense. The thought of him in such an outfit, and singing Christmas Carols, omg, that was almost too funny! :P lol

The Chlex was so very sweet. The way Lex decorated all those rooms just for Chloe and made Christmas special in spite of the fact Gabe couldn't be there. The really is just the sweetest guy :D

Thank you again, Kit, for a wonderful Christmas present :blinkkiss

daria_103
23rd December 2009, 23:49
Great fic, it was so sweet of Lex to recreate Chloe's favourite Christmas memories and I do love a Lionel that's making efforts with Lex and recognising how perfect Chloe is for his son :)

hfce
6th January 2010, 07:14
That was amazing, sweet, wonderful and great! ;)

Ami Rose
27th November 2011, 13:11
That was beautiful! I almost started to cry. This will be my 3rd Christmas with out my mom since she moved to another state. And its hard. But this Christmas I actually get to spend with my sister and niece for once!

But yah! Beautiful! Loved it!

starmoon
17th December 2011, 05:21
that was beautiful and sweet and i loved it.

Kit Merlot
18th December 2015, 01:53
I just realized I never said "Thank you" for all of the kind words and perhaps my saying thanks now will help revive more of these awesome Christmas Chlex stories, so THANKS!!!:D