PDA

View Full Version : [Christmas] His Christmas Angel (Secret Fanfiction Santa: Skauble) - G/PG

Ultra
22nd December 2009, 14:57
Part 1 of 2

~ ~ ~ 18th December 2002 ~ ~ ~

“So with my grandparents coming over for Christmas we’re gonna be a pretty full house too,” explained Clark as he sat in the Talon with Chloe, discussing their plans for the festive season.

“Makes me and my Dad look pretty lonely,” shrugged the blonde, though the smile did not shift from her face even when Clark looked apologetic and guilty for what he’d said, “It’s fine, Clark, it’s how I like my Christmas,” she told him, “It’s been just the two of us doing our own thing since I was five years old, pretty much anyway. There were a couple of years when my Uncle Sam took pity on us but he’s not exactly big in the Christmas spirit.”

“So long as you’re happy,” Clark told her as he sipped his coffee, “You have your Dad, Lana will be with her Aunt, Pete has a huge family... that just leaves Lex to worry about.”

Chloe nodded her agreement to that. She hadn’t really thought about it much until Clark just mentioned it, but Lex had to be lonely, not just now but all the time. One man practically alone in that huge house. Money and power were all well and good but they were no substitute for friends and family, of which the young Mr Luthor was severely lacking.

“I guess it’d be awkward if you wanted to invite him to join in at the Kent family Christmas,” she sighed, knowing all too well how Mr Kent judged Lex on his father’s actions of the past.

Reputation was everything to some people, and Chloe honestly didn’t get it. She’d spent some time with Lex, not a lot but enough that she knew she liked him. He was a decent man, he talked to her like she was a person and not some dumb kid, and for the devil spawn title he’d been given by the press and the gossips, he seemed nice enough to her.

“My Dad would go crazy if I even suggested Lex come over for Christmas,” agreed Clark, looking like someone had kicked his puppy, “And then there’s his father to think about...”

“Yeah, Lionel Luthor is like a squirrel in your Christmas tree,” said Chloe with a nod, taking a long drink from her frappucino as Clark looked at her like she was a crazy person, a deep frown crossing his features, “Disturbingly furry and unwelcome at holiday gatherings,” the blonde explained with a twinkle in her eye that would’ve made Clark smile were it not for the fact he was now looking over Chloe’s head at who was standing there.

“Given the theme of the analogy I’m surprised you didn’t also add that he’s a little nuts,” said Lex smoothly, making Chloe almost choke on the coffee she hadn’t quite swallowed down.

“Oh my God,” she gasped as shock went through her, and she tried to recover before she turned around to look up at him, “Mr Luthor, hi. I had no idea you were there.”

“That much is evident, Miss Sullivan,” he said with a good-natured smile that eased her worries just a little, “but honestly, there’s no need to feel self-conscious or concern yourself with offending me,” he told her, as Clark moved over and offered Lex to sit beside him, “I have to say you’re description of my father was oddly accurate.”

“She was just kidding,” said Clark quick to defend one friend to the other, despite the fact no offence seemed to have been taken.

Chloe was red in the face and fighting desperately against it as her brain moved at a mile a minute, trying to think of anything else to say.

“Um, so... we were talking about how we’ll be spending Christmas this year,” she said after a moment of awkward silence, “Do you have any plans, Mr Luthor?”

“You know, Miss Sullivan, that I feel a little too like my father every time you use such a formal name for me,” he told her, pausing a moment to ask the waitress for another order of coffees for his friends and one for himself, “And since I have no wish to end up being cast as a small furry animal living in your Christmas tree...”

“Fair enough, Lex,” she amended quickly, mindful of his causing her to blush all over again, although the way he was smiling at her seemed to be doing that all on its own apparently, “If you could just change the subject and drop the formalities too, that’d be great,” she said quickly as Clark watched the two of them with amusement.

Lex liked to call the battle of wits he and Chloe so enjoyed their verbal judo, and Clark was always amazed by the pair of them and their newly invented sport. In some ways he thought they’d make betters friends to each other than he could to either of them, but he didn’t say anything about it.

“In answer to your earlier question, Chloe,” said Lex at length, “Christmas has become just another day of the year for me,” he shrugged his shoulders, “I have no family to speak of, only my father who will still be away on his business trip over this years holiday season,” he explained, “So I’ll most likely be catching up on paperwork, perhaps taking a break to re-watch It’s A Wonderful Life, and enjoying my own company.”

“That’s not right, Lex,” said Clark with a shake of his head, “Nobody should spend Christmas all alone.”

The look on Chloe’s face showed she agreed with that, but Lex barely glanced her way. After all, he knew what he expected to see on her features, that awful look of pity that made him feel ill. Clark was wearing a similar expression and so Lex’s eyes flitted everywhere but at the people surrounding him when he explained himself.

“It’s fine, Clark, I’m used to it,” he assured his friend, “When I was a child, my mother made a bigger deal out of events like Christmas and Birthdays, and perhaps I missed it when she first died but I’m all grown up now,” he forced a smile as he dared to glance Clark’s way, then focused back on his coffee, taking a long drink.

“Even adults celebrate Christmas, Lex,” said Chloe, looking stunned by his attitude, “Hell, even people of different religions go in for the tree and the gifts and everything, just to enjoy the festivities, spread the love.”

“Very few people would have love to spare for a Luthor, Chloe,” he answered her smoothly, “Besides, I’m not bitter. My friends have families of their own to spend the holidays with. The same can be said of my staff. I’m fine with the arrangement,” he assured them, a complete lie but no-one would ever tell.

“Well, I’m not,” the blonde before him seemed to be incensed at the idea of anyone spending what should be a happy occasion all alone, “Lex, why don’t you come over to my house for Christmas?” she offered without really thinking about it, “I know my Dad wouldn’t mind, and hey, if the whole day stuck in a house with me and my father doesn’t thrill you, at least come for dinner?” she laughed off the fact he seemed less than enthused by her offer, but that was not the case at all.

“Chloe, you’re very gracious and kind,” he said looking her way with such sincerity she didn’t doubt him a moment, “I really do appreciate the kind offer, but I couldn’t possibly invade your family Christmas like that. I wouldn’t do that to anybody,” he shook his head definitely, looking between the two young people and their awkward expressions.

This was what Lex had hoped to avoid, the pity looks and offers of forced friendship. Lex didn’t doubt that Chloe meant to be kind. For all her brashness and such, she was one of the few genuine people Lex knew. She said what she meant to say, no holds barred, and she would not have made her offer if she hadn’t truly meant it. Still, he would never accept, not a chance. He meant what he said too, and invading the Sullivan family Christmas was not something he was prepared to do, anymore than he would try to get an invite to the Kent farm.

“I really should be going,” he said a moment later, gulping down the last of his coffee in an attempt to get away, “I swear the only person working harder than me right now is Santa Claus himself,” he smiled briefly before getting up and quickly walking away, leaving Clark and Chloe alone, staring after him.

“Clark, we can’t let him spend Christmas like that,” she insisted as she faced her friend with one of her most determined looks.

“He said he wants to, Chloe,” he shook his head in response, knowing Lex was as stubborn as anyone else he knew, “Besides, you made him a offer, he said no. There’s nothing else we can do,” he said, moving away with apologies when he spotted Lana across the room.

Chloe watched him go, then turned her head to see the door swing closed behind Lex Luthor’s retreating form. She hated the idea of anyone spending the Holidays all alone. She could be as lonely and cold about it as Lex, after all she lost her mother too, in a different way but she was still gone. She didn’t exactly have an abundance of friends, and her family was literally her and her Dad. Still, she was determined to make each Christmas bright and merry just because she refused to be miserable for misery’s sake.

“I don’t give up that easy,” she said to herself, a plan already forming in her mind.

~ ~ ~ 25th December 2002, 11.30am ~ ~ ~

Lex Luthor’s Christmas Day was very much like every other day, only worse. A time that should be filled with the warmth and laughter of family and fun was instead cold and dark, and more lonely than even a regular working day. The staff had families to spend the holidays with, Lex didn’t bother to ask them to work. He had skeleton security staff, those that would work 365 days of the year just to earn a few extra bucks, and Lex presumed some that didn’t celebrate this time of year for whatever reason. Other than that he was entirely alone, the house undecorated save for the front entrance and foyer that held a large tree and such just to welcome any guests that dropped by. His dinner would be whatever he could throw together in the kitchen, and Lex would go to bed as quiet and lonely as he had gotten up this morning, or so he thought.

There was a buzzing from the desk and Lex shifted his gaze from the window he was stood by to see his cell hopping across the table-top. He wrongly assumed that Clark was calling to wish him a Merry Christmas, or perhaps his father was hoping to make him feel even worse about the holidays than he already did. The Unknown Number display confused him as he picked up the phone and answered it anyway.

“Lex Luthor,” he said sharply out of habit more than anything else.

“Geez, Lex, how long does a person have to hammer on your front door before you let them in?” asked Chloe, clearly out-of-breath from some kind of exertion and not at all happy at being left on his doorstep.

Why she was on his doorstep on Christmas morning, Lex could only wonder, but realised he needn’t ask as heading straight for the front door to let her in would solve both their problems.

“Just a minute,” he said into the phone before hanging up and moving quickly from his office, through the house to the door.

Chloe was certain a person could never look as shocked as when Lex opened the door to her and her father, but then he probably would’ve agreed that he’d never felt so shocked either. There they were, Mr and Miss Sullivan, bundled up against the elements in coats, hats, and gloves, carrying all manner of Christmas items in their arms. From here, Lex could see Christmas decorations and tinsel, plus Tupperware contains of all kinds of dinner foods and snacks. It was like an entire family Christmas had been packed up at one house and brought to another, as far as Lex could tell anyway, he really didn’t have much experience of these things to go on...

“Y’know the phrase ‘everything but the kitchen sink’?” said Chloe with a grin, “Well, this is every Christmas thing but the tree... and it looks as if you have one of those anyway,” she noted as she squeezed in through the door and spotted the over-sized spruce in the corner, covered in every kind of expensively bejewelled ornament.

“I’m so sorry to disturb you, Mr Luthor, Lex,” said Gabe as he practically fell in the door behind his daughter, correcting himself the moment he remembered Lex’s instruction to always used his first name outside of business hours, “but Chloe insisted you’d appreciate the company”

“And I was right,” said the blonde with determination as she dumped her bags and boxes in the hallway, “Forgive the mismatched religious reference, but if Mohammed won’t come to Christmas, then Christmas shall come to Mohammed,” she smiled brightly, in such a way that Lex was sure the whole entrance way filled with light just because of her.

It brought an usually unseen smile to his own face that only seemed to make her happier somehow.

“Chloe, Gabe, this was a very kind thought,” said Lex gratefully and genuinely, “but do you really want to spend your special day with me?”

“Only if we’re not intruding,” his employee and possible friend apparentely said as he sent a look of mock-severity his daughter’s way.

“Of course not,” Lex assured them, amazed that anyone wanted to do this for him still as he looked between father and daughter and marvelled at their genuine kindness towards him, “Um, here, let me help with these,” he said, shaking himself out of a moments warmth and light as he scooped up a bag that Chloe had been carrying and lightened Gabe’s load as well, taking all the Christmas things through to the office-cum-living room.

“Oh, thank God, heat!,” Chloe declared the moment they cleared the doors, running at the fireplace and rubbing her hands together by the blaze, “Seriously, I don’t think we’re in Kansas anymore,” she declared, “I swear we got blown to the Arctic Circle over night”

“My daughter does have a wonderful imagination and a superb knack for exaggeration,” Gabe rolled his eyes making Lex chuckle with his words.

He resisted the urge to reply, for fear of saying the wrong thing. That wasn’t the kind of thing that usually bothered a Luthor, but Lex felt entirely out of his depth in this situation, albeit in the best possible way. He was ill at ease with a happy family situation, though for years he craved to be a part of it. Clark and Martha Kent liked to make him feel at home at the farm, but there was always the underlying tension brought by Jonathan’s presence. He would never completely like Lex or welcome him into his home with open arms. In contrast it seemed the Sullivans were so determined to share Christmas with Lex that they would move their entire day into his house when he refused an offer to attend at their own home. Far from the sad and lonely day Lex Luthor had expected to have, it seemed today might be one of the best days of his life.

To Be Continued... (hopefully tomorrow!)

lexie
22nd December 2009, 19:07
How smart of Chloe to take Christmas to Lex´s house! I´m eagerly awaiting Christmas Dinner and the unwrapping of presents.:grin3:

daria_103
22nd December 2009, 23:35
I can't wait for the next chapter, the first part was excellent. How sweet of Chloe to take Christmas to Lex when he wouldn't take up her offer to come over.

westwingwolf
22nd December 2009, 23:52
Good on Chloe for refusing to let Lex spend the holiday alone, and I'm glad Gabe agreed to join the plan. Now Lex can have a sense of how family is supposed to be.

superag
23rd December 2009, 00:04
Love the fact that Chloe forced Lex into her Christmas. It's so neat to see that Gabe is involved as well.

Kit Merlot
23rd December 2009, 01:18
Good for Chloe for being so determined to help Lex have a nice Christmas. And I love that Gabe's tagging along--awesome:grin3:

Can't wait for the second part.

MelBee1985
23rd December 2009, 04:41
Lex in 2002 was like.. 22? He's playing the older adult because of his education and the responsibilities he have, but like everyone else, he needed a little piece of christmas ;)

"Yeah, Lionel Luthor is like a squirrel in your Christmas tree,"

This made me laugh so much, lol

Nice 1st part and thanks for your participation :)

autumngold
23rd December 2009, 09:44
I think Lionel would die if he heard that Chloe described him as a squirrel. Actually, the probably would have her killed! :) Thank you for having Chloe care enough to help Lex celebrate Christmas! I can't wait to read what will happen next! ;)

Ultra
23rd December 2009, 20:50
A/N: Thanx to lexie, daria, Mindy, super, Kit, Mel, and autumngold for all your lovely comments. I shall admit that the line Mel and autumngold picked out as a favourite was not mine, but actually the prompt I received from skauble ;) I really hope she likes this when she finds and reads it...

Part 2 of 2

~ ~ ~ 25th December 2002, 1.00pm ~ ~ ~

In the absence of Lex’s usual chef and cooking staff, the Sullivans took over his kitchen and even managed to get him involved too. Chloe found it highly amusing when he offered his assistance and almost immediately her father had the billionaire in an apron helping to peel vegetables. As Gabe hurried off then to find some forgotten ingredient left in the car, Chloe let out a giggle she had been trying to hold in.

“Something amusing you, Chloe?” asked Lex as he heard her sniggering from her place at the hob, stirring sauce in a pan.

“Not really” she replied, looking back at him, “I guess I just never thought about you doing such menial tasks as this” she shrugged, innocent in her comment.

“Believe it or not, this isn’t the first time I’ve helped make dinner” Lex surprised her with those words and it showed on her face as they glanced at each other in between concentrating on the jobs at hand, “When my mother was still alive...” he began, finding himself feeling a little too emotional right now to think about her too much, “Things used to be very different, especially at Christmas” he said quietly, not quite all he’d meant to say as explanation, but all he could deal with right now.

Too much sympathy or worse pity for the poor little rich boy might cause him to break, today of all days. Chloe and Gabe were already being so kind to him, when Lex wasn’t quite sure what he’d done to deserve it. There was only so much he could take in this situation that made him feel oddly out of his depth, and at the same time more warm, comfortable, and almost loved than he had in a very long time.

“I know what it’s like, Lex” said Chloe kindly, “I mean, I know my Mom chose to leave and yours didn’t, but it still hurts just the same”

They shared a look then, a friendly smile of understanding and support somehow. Chloe was at least lucky to have a father that loved her to no end, whilst Lex was stuck with the evil tyrant that was Lionel Luthor. It was really no surprise to her that Lex wasn’t a huge fan of Christmas right now, but she really did hope to change that this year.

“Here we go” said Gabe, interrupting their moment as he strolled back in with a bottle in his hand, “Can’t have brandy sauce without the brandy” he smiled.

“Gabe, you know I have a cellar full of wines and spirits” Lex shook his head, wondering at his employee and friend’s behaviour.

“This is our gift to you, Lex” Chloe pointed out, taking the bottle from her father and adding a slug of its contents to the pan she’d been stirring, “We want to do this” she smiled.

It was the weirdest feeling for Lex Luthor, and yet also perhaps the nicest and warmest sensation to realise that Gabe and Chloe were being so selfless, and all for him. They planned their Christmas together, and yet were prepared to alter everything, move it all into his home so he might be included in what passed for a family scene. He honestly couldn’t remember a Christmas Day quite like this before. His mother made an effort when he was small but his father never did. The memories were hazy and painfully vague to Lex these days, but it seemed at last their might be one more Christmas worth remembering.

~ ~ ~ 25th December 2002, 4.00pm ~ ~ ~

“Oh my God!” gasped Chloe as she leaned back in the dining room chair, one hand going straight to her full stomach, the other pushing a scraped dish away from her that used to contain a large helping of pudding and cream, “That was the best, but I think I might actually die if I have to move... ever!” she declared in over-dramatic fashion, making both her father and Lex chuckle.

“Well, I’m sure I can ask the staff to clean around you for a few days, if necessary” said Lex, sipping at his wine, the smile on his face making Chloe grin just the same.

She loved to see him like this, relaxed and happy. It was a rare occurrence, but every time it happened it gave Chloe a warm feeling inside.

Lex’s life had been far from easy, despite his power and riches, she knew. So much cold and lonely time spent, she was so happy to be able to give him at least this one Merry Christmas. Still, in her heart, she knew this day was as much for herself as for him, and was making her just as happy as she was sure Lex was.

“I have to say, I think we proved ourselves worthy as master chefs” joked Gabe as he leaned back in similar fashion to his daughter, feeling as stuffed as the turkey had been, “Good work, kiddo” he said, reaching out to ruffle Chloe’s hair and making her complain.

Lex watched the pair and smiled. They were the perfect father-daughter pair, so very close, he was almost jealous. After all, he’d lost his mother too, and in a much more final way than even Chloe had, yet it had not made him and Lionel closer, only driven an even bigger wedge between them. He wouldn’t even get a phone call today to say Merry Christmas, Lex doubted Lionel was even aware of the specialness today ought to bring. No matter, he had a make-shift family here who cared enough to spend their day with him, and for that he was truly grateful.

“A toast” he said, catching the attention of his guests albeit uninvited in the first instance, “To family and very good friends” he said as he looked from Chloe to Gabe and back, sincerity written on every feature.

“Family and friends” Chloe echoed lifting her barely-permitted small glass of wine, as her father did the same with his own drink.

Three glasses clinked together and a bond was sealed somehow. There had been no physical gifts shared today. Chloe and Gabe had exchanged presents at their own home, and token gifts amongst Chloe, Lex, Clark, Lana, and Pete had already been shared the day before. Still, Lex Luthor felt as if he were living a gift, being brought into a family like this for one day. It was Christmas and not Thanksgiving but he had never been so grateful in all his life, to have such efforts made for him. It made even such a rich and powerful man feel very humble indeed.

~ ~ ~ 25th December 2002, 9.30pm ~ ~ ~

Lex put his empty brandy glass on the table, laughing heartily at the story Gabe had just told. For a man unaccustomed to sharing so openly and being so at ease, this situation might feel awkward to him, and yet it wasn’t. Perhaps the wine had helped, and the glasses of Christmas cheer that followed, as he and Chloe sat either end of the couch and Gabe took the armchair opposite. They talked of memories, old times, only the happiest and most amusing of tales were told. For a while it was as if the bad events, the pain and heartache, had never occurred.

“Oh, would you look at that” said Gabe suddenly as he peered out of the window across the room and noticed it was all but dark outside, “Geez, Lex, why didn’t you tell us we were imposing? It’s way past the time we should be going” he said, attempting to lever himself out of the comfortable armchair and finding it harder than he should.

Too much good food and alcohol made his body feel heavy, as did the sheer amount of comfort he’d felt, sat there in the huge soft chair, just enjoying the company of his beloved daughter and a good friend. Not many could or would ever think such a thing about anyone who bore the name Luthor, but Gabe Sullivan was glad he’d let Chloe get her way today and convince him to come here and share his Christmas with a lonely but entirely decent young man.

“Wow, where did the day go?” asked Chloe as she looked over her shoulder at the clock on the mantle and yawned heartily a moment later.

Lex smiled at how sweet she looked all curled up in the corner of his couch like a cat, and apparently quite ready to drift off to sleep right there. He’d be happy with that. In fact, Lex knew he would be more than happy if Chloe would stay forever here in his home, keeping him company and brightening his days. She was a very special young woman, and he hoped she knew that.

“You should stay” he found himself saying, turning to Gabe as the older man moved to get up, “Honestly, it wouldn’t be a problem at all. I have more rooms here than I could ever use, and you’re welcome to take any two you wanted” he told the pair, who shared a look.

Chloe knew her father would be concerned about imposing, but she would be quite happy to trespass on Lex’s hospitality. It had been a great day but also long, and she was so comfortable, she really didn’t want to get bundled up and set off in the cold headed to her home.

“Lex, that’s very kind of you...” began Gabe, despite the fact he was tempted.

“Dad, you can’t drive with all the drinks you’ve had” his daughter quickly cut in, “So we’d have to pay a cab, and you know you hate trusting others when it comes to driving in the dark” she reminded him, looking to Lex then when she added, “He barely even lets me be in charge of a car when it looks anywhere close to sundown”

“Then it’s settled, you can stay here” agreed Lex with a smile, “Call it a Christmas gift if it would make you feel better, Gabe, saving you the trouble and stress of getting home tonight”

Gabe looked between Lex and Chloe and sighed. He was fighting a losing battle with the pair of them and himself.

“Thank you, Lex” he said at last, “We’ll take you up on your very kind offer”

~ ~ ~ 25th December 2002, 11.30pm ~ ~ ~

It was late in the evening, almost midnight according to the clock, and yet Lex couldn’t even contemplate going to bed, nevermind sleeping. His mind buzzed with the days events, mundane and boring to most he was sure, but so very special to him. He was supposed to be a monster, cold as ice, and completely without feeling, but that was so far from the truth. Today had been about nothing but warmth and acceptance, all he ever really craved, both man and boy.

Though he was alone now in the living room save for the small but sparkling Christmas tree the Sullivans had brought, and a mug of hot chocolate in his hands, Lex’s mood was far from as dark as the night sky he stared out at. Christmas had brought such a black mood upon him in the past, but today his heart was as light a feather, the last twelve hours a magical experience he would not exchange for anything else in the whole world.

“What did I do to deserve this?” he softly asked the dark sky beyond the window, obviously not expecting any kind of answer, and therefore just a little startled when he heard a voice behind him give a reply.

“Why do you do that?” asked Chloe as he turned and spotted her in the doorway and she padded in, wearing only her borrowed pyjamas and a frown, “Why do you assume you’re not good enough, Lex?” she shook her head, as she wandered over to join him, rubbing one eye as she did so, “Does your father tell you that?” she asked, sure she was right when his eyes left her and returned to the window.

“Frequently” he said flatly, breaking Chloe’s heart for him just a little bit more than it already was.

“It’s not true” she said easily, not expecting a reaction to her words and not really getting one as she kept her eyes trained on the night sky, even when Lex spared her a glance.

A few moments strangely comfortable silence passed, no sound at all, and the only movement from the twinkling lights on the Christmas tree. There was no awkwardness here, not between these two, despite the fact they were from different worlds in a lot of ways. They also had a lot in common, more than perhaps either had ever realised until today.

Chloe shivered involuntarily then, the chill of the night catching up to her even in the warm house. Pyjamas only protected against so much, especially when stood by a cold dark window. Without a word, Lex moved to grab the throw from the back of the couch, wrapping it around Chloe’s shoulders as she smiled gratefully up at him.

“What are you doing up so late?” he asked her then, turning away one more time to pour her a mug of the hot chocolate he’d been drinking himself.

“I don’t know” she sighed, “I was so tired but I just couldn’t sleep, and I hate that” she complained, thanking Lex as she took the steaming mug from him, “Call me psychic but I had a feeling you’d still be up” she smirked in similar fashion to the way he usually did, knowing she’d just proven she knew him way better than he ever thought.

Lex didn’t say anything, he wouldn’t know where to begin if he wanted to. Chloe Sullivan was a very special young woman, he had known it on some level from the first day they met, perhaps even before that when he heard so many tales about her from Gabe. Still, she had proven beyond any reasonable doubt today that although he had never been wrong in his assessment of her, she could still surprise him. Clark was a very good friend, but Chloe had gone beyond the call of her friend-of-a-friend duties today and that Lex would never forget. He hoped it meant he and Chloe were better friends than he ever thought before, because honestly, he would love to have her forever in his life like this.

“I want to thank you for today, Chloe” he said, glancing down at her, “it was... it’s the best Christmas present anybody could’ve given me” he smiled, as genuine as she had ever seen him in all the time they’d known each other.

“Wow, Lex Luthor does sentimental. Who knew?” she teased him, unable to help herself, perhaps only because if this moment got any more serious one of them at least was going to end today in tears.

“And Chloe Sullivan does sarcastic” he countered with a smirk, “Not quite the surprise it could’ve been”

That got a laugh out of her as he was certain it would, and earned him a swipe across the arm that came a little more unexpected. It was fine, more than that even, it was the perfect ending to a perfect day as they stood together in the window and she leant her head against his shoulder, like it was the most natural thing in the world.

“Merry Christmas, Chloe” he said softly, one arm daring to hold her close, the other offering his hot chocolate like some kind of mini-toast, “May it be the first of many”

“Merry Christmas, Lex” she replied in kind, a smile on her lips as she clinked her mug against his own, “I promise it will be”

~ The End ~

A/N2: Merry Christmas to all! :D

daria_103
23rd December 2009, 22:30
Aw what a great ending, you painted such a lovely picture of a perfect Christmas day and a wonderful friendship between Lex and Chloe. Great job, Merry Christmas :)

westwingwolf
23rd December 2009, 23:35
That was so great that Lex got the chance to have a Merry Christmas with friends. The best present he could have ever gotten. They should definitely make this an a tradition.

Kit Merlot
24th December 2009, 05:55
This was a lovely ending to a great story! I like that Lex was able to relax and have such a Merry Christmas with Chloe and her dad;)

autumngold
24th December 2009, 08:24
Thank you so much for the fabulous ending! Thank you for having them share such a beautiful holiday together. Hopefully they were right and it will be the first of many. I really enjoyed reading your wonderful story! ;) Hope you have a very happy holdiay!

skauble
3rd January 2010, 05:06
I’m sorry it’s taken me so long to reply to this wonderful Secret Santa gift, but the holidays were slightly hectic. But I want you to know how much I absolutely adore this story!

Chloe nodded her agreement to that. She hadn’t really thought about it much until Clark just mentioned it, but Lex had to be lonely, not just now but all the time. One man practically alone in that huge house. Money and power were all well and good but they were no substitute for friends and family, of which the young Mr Luthor was severely lacking.

I love this because it really sums Chloe up. Even though she and Lex aren’t really close, she has an empathy that extends beyond just the people that she knows. That was always a rarity in SV.

“Yeah, Lionel Luthor is like a squirrel in your Christmas tree,” said Chloe with a nod, taking a long drink from her frappucino as Clark looked at her like she was a crazy person, a deep frown crossing his features, “Disturbingly furry and unwelcome at holiday gatherings,” the blonde explained with a twinkle in her eye that would’ve made Clark smile were it not for the fact he was now looking over Chloe’s head at who was standing there.

“Given the theme of the analogy I’m surprised you didn’t also add that he’s a little nuts,” said Lex smoothly, making Chloe almost choke on the coffee she hadn’t quite swallowed down.

Squee! You worked it in perfectly. Better than I would have because you followed it up with Lex hearing it and continuing the theme. LMAO!

“You know, Miss Sullivan, that I feel a little too like my father every time you use such a formal name for me,” he told her, pausing a moment to ask the waitress for another order of coffees for his friends and one for himself, “And since I have no wish to end up being cast as a small furry animal living in your Christmas tree...”

ROTFLMAO! Lex is wise to beware both Chloe’s angry and her sharp tongue.

“It’s fine, Clark, I’m used to it,” he assured his friend, “When I was a child, my mother made a bigger deal out of events like Christmas and Birthdays, and perhaps I missed it when she first died but I’m all grown up now,” he forced a smile as he dared to glance Clark’s way, then focused back on his coffee, taking a long drink.

Awww, this was so sad. And it’s always worse to think about how he lost his mother when you remember that he was left with Lionel.

“Well, I’m not,” the blonde before him seemed to be incensed at the idea of anyone spending what should be a happy occasion all alone, “Lex, why don’t you come over to my house for Christmas?” she offered without really thinking about it, “I know my Dad wouldn’t mind, and hey, if the whole day stuck in a house with me and my father doesn’t thrill you, at least come for dinner?” she laughed off the fact he seemed less than enthused by her offer, but that was not the case at all.

This rang so true to how Chloe would act in this situation. After all, this is the girl who opened her home to Lana. So I think that she’d have no problem sharing her holiday with Lex.

This was what Lex had hoped to avoid, the pity looks and offers of forced friendship. Lex didn’t doubt that Chloe meant to be kind. For all her brashness and such, she was one of the few genuine people Lex knew. She said what she meant to say, no holds barred, and she would not have made her offer if she hadn’t truly meant it. Still, he would never accept, not a chance. He meant what he said too, and invading the Sullivan family Christmas was not something he was prepared to do, anymore than he would try to get an invite to the Kent farm.

I always felt bad for Lex because he never seemed to be able to understand that people could empathize with him and want to help make things better without pitying him. Just because they want to help didn’t make him weak…

I blame Lionel.

“He said he wants to, Chloe,” he shook his head in response, knowing Lex was as stubborn as anyone else he knew, “Besides, you made him a offer, he said no. There’s nothing else we can do,” he said, moving away with apologies when he spotted Lana across the room.

No wonder Clark never gets anything done without Chloe. Even now in season nine when he’s being a jerk to Chloe he still needs her help all the time. You’re a frinkin’ reporter Clark, do some things your damn self.

Okay, I got kind of sidetracked there. lolol

“I don’t give up that easy,” she said to herself, a plan already forming in her mind.

Of course you don’t. You go with your proactive self!

Lex Luthor’s Christmas Day was very much like every other day, only worse. A time that should be filled with the warmth and laughter of family and fun was instead cold and dark, and more lonely than even a regular working day. The staff had families to spend the holidays with, Lex didn’t bother to ask them to work. He had skeleton security staff, those that would work 365 days of the year just to earn a few extra bucks, and Lex presumed some that didn’t celebrate this time of year for whatever reason. Other than that he was entirely alone, the house undecorated save for the front entrance and foyer that held a large tree and such just to welcome any guests that dropped by. His dinner would be whatever he could throw together in the kitchen, and Lex would go to bed as quiet and lonely as he had gotten up this morning, or so he thought.

Aww, this was just heartbreaking. Poor Lex.

“I’m so sorry to disturb you, Mr Luthor, Lex,” said Gabe as he practically fell in the door behind his daughter, correcting himself the moment he remembered Lex’s instruction to always used his first name outside of business hours, “but Chloe insisted you’d appreciate the company”

LMAO Poor Gabe. He’s just learned that it’s best to go along with what Chloe wants instead of fighting it…and still ending up doing what she wants. lol :rofl:

He resisted the urge to reply, for fear of saying the wrong thing. That wasn’t the kind of thing that usually bothered a Luthor, but Lex felt entirely out of his depth in this situation, albeit in the best possible way. He was ill at ease with a happy family situation, though for years he craved to be a part of it. Clark and Martha Kent liked to make him feel at home at the farm, but there was always the underlying tension brought by Jonathan’s presence. He would never completely like Lex or welcome him into his home with open arms. In contrast it seemed the Sullivans were so determined to share Christmas with Lex that they would move their entire day into his house when he refused an offer to attend at their own home. Far from the sad and lonely day Lex Luthor had expected to have, it seemed today might be one of the best days of his life.

I was so happy to see Lex letting himself be open to this! And I think that this really is a time in the show where he would have been able to accept this kind of gesture.

In the absence of Lex’s usual chef and cooking staff, the Sullivans took over his kitchen and even managed to get him involved too. Chloe found it highly amusing when he offered his assistance and almost immediately her father had the billionaire in an apron helping to peel vegetables. As Gabe hurried off then to find some forgotten ingredient left in the car, Chloe let out a giggle she had been trying to hold in.

Apparently there’s no point in fighting against either Sullivan. lololol

“I know what it’s like, Lex” said Chloe kindly, “I mean, I know my Mom chose to leave and yours didn’t, but it still hurts just the same”

They shared a look then, a friendly smile of understanding and support somehow. Chloe was at least lucky to have a father that loved her to no end, whilst Lex was stuck with the evil tyrant that was Lionel Luthor. It was really no surprise to her that Lex wasn’t a huge fan of Christmas right now, but she really did hope to change that this year.

I loved seeing this moment of bonding between them. I do think that they share a similar pain because Lex hurts because his mother is gone permanently, but Chloe probably hurts just as badly thinking that her mom’s gone just because she didn’t want her. Those are both such terrible pain for children.

It was the weirdest feeling for Lex Luthor, and yet also perhaps the nicest and warmest sensation to realise that Gabe and Chloe were being so selfless, and all for him. They planned their Christmas together, and yet were prepared to alter everything, move it all into his home so he might be included in what passed for a family scene. He honestly couldn’t remember a Christmas Day quite like this before. His mother made an effort when he was small but his father never did. The memories were hazy and painfully vague to Lex these days, but it seemed at last their might be one more Christmas worth remembering.

I absolutely loved the way that you showed the wonder that Lex felt every time that he realized that this was being done for him, because these people wanted to be with him and cared about him. He’s starting to see the difference between caring and pity and I think that you did a magnificent job showing how that comes about.

“Oh my God!” gasped Chloe as she leaned back in the dining room chair, one hand going straight to her full stomach, the other pushing a scraped dish away from her that used to contain a large helping of pudding and cream, “That was the best, but I think I might actually die if I have to move... ever!” she declared in over-dramatic fashion, making both her father and Lex chuckle.

“Well, I’m sure I can ask the staff to clean around you for a few days, if necessary” said Lex, sipping at his wine, the smile on his face making Chloe grin just the same.

ROTFL! Clearly I need a staff after the holidays for just this reason.

She loved to see him like this, relaxed and happy. It was a rare occurrence, but every time it happened it gave Chloe a warm feeling inside.

I loved this because I think that it highlights why Lex usually thinks these kinds of gesture are pity – because he doesn’t understand that, for some people, this kind of feeling is its own reward. He’s just, sadly, never been around enough people that felt this way.

Great job showing us how Chloe can be the person to help Lex shift this perception of his.

Lex put his empty brandy glass on the table, laughing heartily at the story Gabe had just told. For a man unaccustomed to sharing so openly and being so at ease, this situation might feel awkward to him, and yet it wasn’t. Perhaps the wine had helped, and the glasses of Christmas cheer that followed, as he and Chloe sat either end of the couch and Gabe took the armchair opposite. They talked of memories, old times, only the happiest and most amusing of tales were told. For a while it was as if the bad events, the pain and heartache, had never occurred.

OMG I loved this part! I loved seeing Lex learn that family and friends don’t necessarily make bad things never happen, but the joy and comfort that they bring is a refuge from those things.

Lex smiled at how sweet she looked all curled up in the corner of his couch like a cat, and apparently quite ready to drift off to sleep right there. He’d be happy with that. In fact, Lex knew he would be more than happy if Chloe would stay forever here in his home, keeping him company and brightening his days. She was a very special young woman, and he hoped she knew that.

This was so beautiful! Love seeing Lex seeing how amazing Chloe is and how she seems to brighten everything around her. And it really was true on the show. Somehow scenes with everyone else always had this undertone of drama. But just a few seconds of Chloe on screen could lighten the atmosphere.

“What did I do to deserve this?” he softly asked the dark sky beyond the window, obviously not expecting any kind of answer, and therefore just a little startled when he heard a voice behind him give a reply.

Poor Lex because her really believes this.

“Why do you do that?” asked Chloe as he turned and spotted her in the doorway and she padded in, wearing only her borrowed pyjamas and a frown, “Why do you assume you’re not good enough, Lex?” she shook her head, as she wandered over to join him, rubbing one eye as she did so, “Does your father tell you that?” she asked, sure she was right when his eyes left her and returned to the window.

And yay for Chloe for overhearing him! If anyone can set him straight it will be her. She always was good at that. It’s probably one of the reasons that they kept them apart on the show – because Chloe would have actually intervened when Lex started getting off course and put him right. lol

Lex didn’t say anything, he wouldn’t know where to begin if he wanted to. Chloe Sullivan was a very special young woman, he had known it on some level from the first day they met, perhaps even before that when he heard so many tales about her from Gabe. Still, she had proven beyond any reasonable doubt today that although he had never been wrong in his assessment of her, she could still surprise him. Clark was a very good friend, but Chloe had gone beyond the call of her friend-of-a-friend duties today and that Lex would never forget. He hoped it meant he and Chloe were better friends than he ever thought before, because honestly, he would love to have her forever in his life like this.

This is such a beautiful sentiment from Lex. I was just beautiful to see him finally have something that he could really appreciate in his life that he had never expected to have. Wonderful job in giving Lex these revelations about how his life doesn’t have to be what his father said it would!

“Wow, Lex Luthor does sentimental. Who knew?” she teased him, unable to help herself, perhaps only because if this moment got any more serious one of them at least was going to end today in tears.

“And Chloe Sullivan does sarcastic” he countered with a smirk, “Not quite the surprise it could’ve been”

ROTFLMAO! Love their teasing banter here. lol

“Merry Christmas, Chloe” he said softly, one arm daring to hold her close, the other offering his hot chocolate like some kind of mini-toast, “May it be the first of many”

“Merry Christmas, Lex” she replied in kind, a smile on her lips as she clinked her mug against his own, “I promise it will be”

What a beautiful ending; so full of hope for the future.

This was such a wonderful Christmas story. I loved it to pieces.

I just want you to know that this was a kind of exhausting Christmas, because my dad died earlier this year and suddenly my brother decided to be “deal with my grief now” guy – because the man wouldn’t have good timing if he was made out of clocks. :rolleyes: This story was such a wonderful break from all of that. It was so happy and such a positive and joyful take on Christmas and the joy that comes with the season that it was like a little oasis, just for me. I read it a number of times and it always made me smile. Nothing like happy shipping to give a person a boost.

So thanks so much for the lovely Christmas present. It was a great gift! :)

~Sarah~

Ultra
3rd January 2010, 12:11
This was such a wonderful Christmas story. I loved it to pieces.

I just want you to know that this was a kind of exhausting Christmas, because my dad died earlier this year and suddenly my brother decided to be “deal with my grief now” guy – because the man wouldn’t have good timing if he was made out of clocks. :rolleyes: This story was such a wonderful break from all of that. It was so happy and such a positive and joyful take on Christmas and the joy that comes with the season that it was like a little oasis, just for me. I read it a number of times and it always made me smile. Nothing like happy shipping to give a person a boost.

So thanks so much for the lovely Christmas present. It was a great gift! :)

~Sarah~

I'm really glad you liked this, skauble :D I will admit to being a little disappointed that you didn't seem to have seen/read it, but did remind myself that the holidays are a busy time for everyone. I guess I'm just impatient sometimes :P

I'm sorry about your Dad and all :( I lost my Grandad on Christmas Day 2007 so you can imagine how myself and my family feel about Christmas now - its a time of decidely mixed feelings from one end of the spectrum to the other.

On a happier note, thank you for all the feedback and I'm so pleased I managed to brighten up your Christmas for you :)

I have to say, I was quite proud of myself for the way I incorporated your prompt line in - it gave me a good laugh ;) I was concerned about over-doing the fluffy sweetness but I think in the end it came out okay, and it seems you agree so yay! :D

hfce
4th January 2010, 01:23
That was beautiful. I am so glad she didn't listen. :D

donhisiewen
30th September 2010, 16:59
That was just adorable! I'm reading this again on Christmas.

linnie
6th October 2010, 01:20
Great Story!!! Really enjoyed this holiday fic!

starmoon
8th November 2010, 05:25
i love this story it brought a smile to my face.

Ami Rose
4th November 2013, 15:49
Cute