PDA

View Full Version : NS Secret Fanfiction Santa 2009!

Julie
21st November 2009, 22:02
This is a first on NS and we are hoping it will be a success!

So what is a Secret Fanfiction Santa? Well, it’s basically a gift, in the form of a fanfiction that you give to someone. This is done anonymously, so you don’t know who is going to write a fanfiction to you!

Because it is a Secret Santa Fanfiction, the story has to be ready around Christmas (see deadlines below). It can be a short story or a chapter or two of a fanfiction you intend to write. Do as you feel.

If you are interested in joining the Secret Fanfiction Santa project, PM MelBee1985 (http://forums.naughty-seduction.net/private.php?do=newpm&u=4138) and tell her that you're in and the specifications that you want.

There are only a few things you get to choose. Because it’s the first year we're having this event, we’re asking that you be not too specific. So here is what you can request:

*Season (Please give a range a top 3 of seasons. Some people may not have watched late or earlier seasons and might have trouble writing for it).
*Rating (State 2 ratings. Again, it is to avoid conflicts. Some people might not feel comfortable with NC-17, for example.).
*A line (Choose up to 3 lines that you would like to see included in the fanfiction and the member who gets you can pick the one that s/he wants).

For the line part, it can be said by a specific character or leave it up to the author. Examples of what a request could look like:

S5, PG13, Chloe: “Lex, you shouldn’t play with fire..”
S3, NC17, “You’re the one I want for Christmas”

Oh and… don’t tell anyone about your Secret Santa. There's a reason it’s called secret ;)

So overall:
1. Sign up if you are interested.
2. PM MelBee1985 (http://forums.naughty-seduction.net/private.php?do=newpm&u=4138) the information you want to be included in the fanfiction.
3. Receive an assignment.
4. Write the story.

Deadlines

Deadline for signing up and sending MelBee1985 your request (http://forums.naughty-seduction.net/private.php?do=newpm&u=4138): November 27th
Get assigned to someone as Secret Fanfiction Santa: November 30th
Stories posted: December 22nd-25th

Note that you will post your own fanfiction during December 22nd-25th. It shall be posted in the holiday fanfiction forum (http://forums.naughty-seduction.net/forumdisplay.php?f=67) and posted like this:

Title (Secret Fanfiction Santa: Who it's for) - Rating

Example:
A Christmas Encounter (Secret Fanfiction Santa: Skauble) - PG13

You don't have to include a date (as stated as required in the fanfiction posting rules) as this is a special occasion! :)

*Credit to DI and other random forums that helped us come up with this.

lexie
21st November 2009, 22:34
This is interesting but I really don´t know if my muse´s up to getting an assignment with a topic and specifications she hasn´t chosen herself right now (November and December are bedlam for teachers in my country).She´s too capricious right now to commit- hell, I don´t even know how she´s been cooperating with the challenges so far! And there I get to see the topic in advance and agree to jump in or not if I like the specs.

I´ve got a few questions, though:

1) Does everyone who enter this event have to both ask for a fic and respond someone´s request at the same time?

2) How will the assignments be allotted? Will all specs be posted anonymously for writers to choose from or will Julie/mods assign them? Will writers remain anonymous as well? If they´re supposed to create a thread themselves, fics will cease to be secret. Or do you mean only the name of the person that asked for the gift won´t be revealed? :confuse:

MelBee1985
21st November 2009, 22:42
I´ve got a few questions, though:

1) Does everyone who enter this event have to both ask for a fic and respond someone´s request at the same time?

2) How will the assignments be allotted? Will all specs be posted anonymously for writers to choose from or will Julie/mods assign them? Will writers remain anonymous as well? If they´re supposed to create a thread themselves, fics will cease to be secret. Or do you mean only the name of the person that asked for the gift won´t be revealed? :confuse:

1) If you request a fic, it goes both ways, meaning you will also have to write something. But it can be a short, no restrictions on length.

2) I will receive all the requests and I will PM everyone with a name and the request of this member. So you will know the name of who you are writing for. You keep it to yourself and write the fic and that person will find out you wrote for her around christmas. So basically, it's a secret for the person who made the request and for everyone else until the fic is posted ;)

*There is a possibility, if around December doesn't work for majority, that we extend for New year's Eve :)

If you have more questions don't hesitate!

Julie
21st November 2009, 22:44
[...] I´ve got a few questions, though:

1) Everyone who joins this will both get a fanfiction and write a fanfiction to send to someone. You will send in your requests first to MelBee1985, then after that you will be assigned a user, then you write the fanfiction according to their requests.

2) The members will be assigned to each other somewhat randomly. There's no first join up first serve mentality. We'll take random users, and try to assign them as best as possible according to the requests.

Requests will not be posted publicly no. MelBee1985 will receive all the requests, and be responsible for assigning the users with each other. So the writers/secret santas will remain anonymous until it's time to give the gift to your secret santa/aka post up the fanfiction :)

Some time will pass between when you receive the request, and when you need to post it up. So it will be secret during that time. The other user will only get to know their secret santa as soon as the fanfiction is posted up :)

Did that answer your questions lexie? If not, let me know and I'll try and explain it some more! :)

Edit: I see Mel answered before me :D Hey Mel, weren't you supposed to be studying? :P

westwingwolf
21st November 2009, 22:45
The idea behind a Secret Santa is that you don't know who will be giving you the gift until you receive it. Usually this means you get little gifts along the way and then on a final day, your Secret Santa is revealed, but I don't think that's plausible here. Your putting your wish for a fic in someone's hands and you don't know who until it is written and posted on the site.

So what I imagine is everyone who signs up is agreeing to write a fic in exchange for getting a fic, that way it's even and we don't have say 5 authors writing 3 stories each just so everyone who gave request got a story.

Julie
21st November 2009, 22:46
So what I imagine is everyone who signs up is agreeing to write a fic in exchange for getting a fic, that way it's even and we don't have say 5 authors writing 3 stories each just so everyone who gave request got a story.

Exactly! :)

lexie
21st November 2009, 22:46
It seems you both answered simultaneously. :P Thank you, girls, for clarifying any doubts I might have had.:grin3:

Julie
21st November 2009, 22:47
It seems you both answered simultaneously. :P Thank you, girls, for clarifying any doubts I might have had.:grin3:

Hehe, efficient (or shall I say NS addicted? :P) staff! :D

Booksketeer
21st November 2009, 23:50
Thank you Julie!!!!! Thank you thank you thank you!

westwingwolf
21st November 2009, 23:58
Hehe, efficient (or shall I say NS addicted? :P) staff! :D

It's entirely possible that I come to this site way too much since I have it as a homepage. Perhaps my week away from the internet next week is a good thing.

Julie
22nd November 2009, 00:02
It's entirely possible that I come to this site way too much since I have it as a homepage. Perhaps my week away from the internet next week is a good thing.

We love having your here Mindy! :D

You know you're an addict when you have to have a week away from internet :P

MelBee1985
22nd November 2009, 01:05
We are addicted sigh... Aren't we? lol

Oh, by the way, some folks PMed me already.. don't be shy to try this! :D

lexie
22nd November 2009, 01:14
I´d love to say yes, but I´d hate not to be able to deliver anything this once. Blame it on my muse and my overly tight schedule.::/:

Julie
22nd November 2009, 01:18
I´d love to say yes, but I´d hate not to be able to deliver anything this once. Blame it on my muse and my overly tight schedule.::/:

That's too bad Lexie! But, we can understand :) Hopefully your muse will get inspired in general before the deadline ;)

lexie
22nd November 2009, 01:26
That's too bad Lexie! But, we can understand :) Hopefully your muse will get inspired in general before the deadline ;)

I want for it to get inspired and let me finish the one fic I decided to post without having it ready on paper- a rule I meant never to break.

Good luck to those who enter the event!

Kit Merlot
22nd November 2009, 18:28
This is a very cool idea, and I hope a lot of our wonderfully creative writers get inspired:D

MelBee1985
22nd November 2009, 19:10
Yes, it is Kit Merlot ;)

Thanks for those who sent me requests. I already can't wait to read them what's going to come out of those stories!

There is still enough time for people to ponder to get in the SeSaFic, :)

Ultra
22nd November 2009, 19:16
I'm in! :) I think this is an awesome idea. I shall enjoy creating something special for a fellow member, and having something equally as special written just for me :D

MelBee1985
22nd November 2009, 23:01
You know, this event is also a good opportunity for new authors to try something and maybe an opportunity to end up getting a fic from one of your favorite Chlex author.

Just saying.

:D

biscuits
24th November 2009, 08:15
I noticed that while requesters can specify a season, a rating and a line, there isn't really any mention of the type of fic, e.g. dark and angsty vs. sweet and humorous.

Are we assuming that everyone should be pulling out the light and fluffy for the holiday season?

Ultra
24th November 2009, 08:30
Are we assuming that everyone should be pulling out the light and fluffy for the holiday season?

That is the assumption I have made...

Julie
24th November 2009, 09:44
I noticed that while requesters can specify a season, a rating and a line, there isn't really any mention of the type of fic, e.g. dark and angsty vs. sweet and humorous.

That is a good question, and thanks for bringing it up!

If we were to generalize the NS audience, I would guess most would prefer a light piece than a dark one :)

Also because it might be a little bit easier to write something light to someone you don't know the personal preferences of, than dark and angst-y for an example.

But, that's just my assumption. Do tell me if you think I'm wrong! :)

skauble
24th November 2009, 10:39
If we were to generalize the NS audience, I would guess most would prefer a light piece than a dark one :)

*cough*somethingeasy*cough* :D

Although I may slightly, sort of, if you squint lean towards the angsty end of the scale, I agree that most people will like fluffier stuff. Also, sometimes that's easier to write in a smaller piece because angst can often require more background or resolution.

However, I too would be interested in hearing from other people looking to participate. If we did add a category of type, we could always make the default fluff and the add a "will accept" part to it. So it would look like -

Type of story Fluff (indicate here if you would also accept angst).

I don't think that it could be made an either/or choice, because some people simply don't want to write something angsty during the holidays (although they would if they spent it with my family lol). But if the recipient added that they would be open to it if the writer felt like going that direction, then it would create a choice for the author as opposed to an obligation.

But I don't know if that's something we want to tackle now, partway into sign ups, or to possibly put out there next year, after we've had out maiden run here to work out the kinks instead.

Also, Secret Santa's rock and I'm super excited about this! It'll be like Christmas in December!!!

...Well, you guys know what I mean. :)

~Sarah~

Julie
24th November 2009, 10:45
Yup, it might be a good idea to go with "fluff" stories this year, and then maybe add a type of story for next years event :)

If you guys have any more ideas, comments, etc for this event, then just post them up or PM me or MelBee1985, and we'll take it into consideration!

MelBee1985
24th November 2009, 15:51
It is a good idea indeed. I hadn't seen it elsewhere when I looked, but thought about it. We know there are alot of angst fans here ;)

So I guess we stick with the fluff, though if you know well the author that you received (like you're already a big fan of her style and likes to write like that), I don't think it would be a bad thing to go in the direction of that preference. But like Jules said, if you don't know well the author, stick with the fluff :)

If there is anything, PM me ;)

PS: It is still time to participate! :D

lexie
24th November 2009, 18:17
We know there are alot of angst fans here ;)

You know, this is funny because the Completed Angst and Angst forums are #15 and #18 respectively amongst the most popular threads- numbers 5 and lower amongst the fanfiction threads. Could it be those who enjoy angst prefer the NC-17 forum? I know everytime that I write an angst fic and post it in the Angst forum that it won´t be read by many people. ::/: That´s why I tend to go for the SHORT STORY forum to give it a better chance.

MelBee1985
24th November 2009, 18:52
You know, this is funny because the Completed Angst and Angst forums are #15 and #18 respectively amongst the most popular threads- numbers 5 and lower amongst the fanfiction threads. Could it be those who enjoy angst prefer the NC-17 forum? I know everytime that I write an angst fic and post it in the Angst forum that it won´t be read by many people. ::/: That´s why I tend to go for the SHORT STORY forum to give it a better chance.

I'm sorry, I should have said "smutty dark fics", :P

Julie
26th November 2009, 14:10
Only two days remaining to enter a request guys, so be sure to send MelBee1985 a PM if you want to join in! Remember, it doesn't have to be long and very detailed, just a light fanfiction will do!

This is a great opportunity to test out your writing skills! And remember, by entering, you also get a fanfiction dedicated to you! ;)

So join up folks, send MelBee1985 a PM today! :)

Booksketeer
27th November 2009, 14:48
I'm sorry, I should have said "smutty dark fics", :P

Honestly, I think you could have removed the "dark fics" part of that sentence and still been correct.

westwingwolf
27th November 2009, 17:42
I don't care if an author writes a fluffy piece or angst piece for me but I think the lines I submitted lead to humor. Well, one could be used for dark humor which I would also love.

Ultra
27th November 2009, 20:04
I don't care if an author writes a fluffy piece or angst piece for me but I think the lines I submitted lead to humor. Well, one could be used for dark humor which I would also love.

Same here, www. One of my lines was definite humour, one total fluff, and the other headed for mildly dirty but also potentially funny. I'm not a fan of dark and angsty, especially not at Christmas!

MelBee1985
28th November 2009, 21:08
Hey guys!

The deadline to send a request was yesterday. I just finished sending PMs around to those who are participating. I took 2 hats and mixed names to do some mix and match. All worked out, hehe

So if you have any more questions PM me.

Sometime during the month, when the deadline to write will aproach, I'll send all of you a reminder to explain how to post it *for the title I mean*.

On this, thanks again for those who manifested interest. Can't wait to read you guys :D

MelBee1985
9th December 2009, 03:56
Hey guys! For those who are participating in the SeSaFic, I'm just letting you know that there is about 2 more weeks to write. If you have any questions or any problems, PM me directly (don't reply here).

Don't be shy ;)

Julie
22nd December 2009, 15:33
Since it's already december 22nd, I guess it will be all right if people started to post up their fanfictions :) Just remember to post it in the holiday section, indicate that it's the Secret Fanfiction Santa, and to whom you've written it to. And you don't have to add a date in the title, as it's exempt from that rule :)

If you have any questions, ask either myself or MelBee1985 here! :)

Happy holidays!

MelBee1985
22nd December 2009, 18:21
Awesome.. I see some people started to post their fics!!!

As of tonight after 7PM (In less than 8 hours), I'll be school free... I'll read them tonight.

Thanks again for everyone who participated!!

Julie
18th January 2010, 14:56
Hey guys!

First of all, thank you to everyone who participated!

Now that it is all wrapped up, I wanted to know if you guys had any opinions as to how this was done/handled. I would love to hear your opinions, so please send me a PM with your thoughts! :) It doesn't have to be bad comments, let me know if you loved it as well! :)

We'll most likely do this December 2010 as well, so it will be good for me and Melanie to know if there is something we should change, or if we should keep the same procedure! :)

Have a nice day everyone!