PDA

View Full Version : NS Christmas Cards Exchange 2009!

Julie
21st November 2009, 20:14
Me and Scorch (who's on the event team for this years Advent Calendar) were talking about exchanging Christmas cards. Those that are interested in getting a Christmas card from somewhere (in the world) sign up with their full name and address, then they get a random member who also signed up, to send a Christmas card to.

If that sounds like something fun, and something you wouldn't mind joining in on, please send me a PM with your full name (or whatever is on your mailbox) and full address (also include the country name).

* Only I will know everyone's addresses and names, and then only the one getting you as their card recipient will know your address and name. After the Christmas Card Exchange is finished, all information about full names and addresses will be deleted! Your information will in no way be sold or given to other parties (except the one (1) member you get assigned to).

By sending me your full name and address you agree to have your full name and address given to one other random person (other than me) who also signed up in the exhange, and you are also agreeing that you WILL send a Christmas card to the person you get in the exchange!

If you have any questions, concerns or anything, just ask me! :)

Deadlines:

Names will be assigned as soon as possible after December 5th.
Send your card by December 10th the latest to allow for international postage.

MelBee1985
21st November 2009, 20:18
I'm in! Going to give you my infos in a bit. Though question: Around when people should send the cards? I'm asking because I'll be at my mother's around December 23rd until January 4th and then I may give that email adress if it's going to be a late-in-the-month sending. :)

Julie
21st November 2009, 20:23
Well, I saw the mail company "Posten" in Norway recommended people to have sent their Christmas cards by the latest on December 16th to ensure they get to their recipient in time, so maybe by around December 15th the latest, to allow for international postage :)

How about a deadline to sign up at the latest December 5th? Then people can write and send their cards by the latest December 15th. It shouldn't take THAT long to get a small card half around the world! :)

Julie
21st November 2009, 22:51
Just a quick update:

So far 11 people have signed up, so sign up if you're interested!

As an alternative, if you don't wish to give your address to a complete stranger, but still would like to receive a Christmas card, send me a PM with your full name and address and clearly write that you don't wish to join in on the exchange, but that you really want a Christmas card. Then you'll get a Christmas card from me! :) How does that sound? Just make sure you clearly write that you don't wish to join the exchange, otherwise your information will end up on the exchange list ;)

MelBee1985
21st November 2009, 22:54
Just a quick update:

So far 4 people have signed up, so sign up if you're interested!

As an alternative, if you don't wish to give your address to a complete stranger, but still would like to receive a Christmas card, send me a PM with your full name and address and clearly write that you don't wish to join in on the exchange, but that you really want a Christmas card. Then you'll get a Christmas card from me! :) How does that sound? Just make sure you clearly write that you don't wish to join the exchange, otherwise your information will end up on the exchange list ;)

And what if we want to send you one? :p

Julie
21st November 2009, 22:56
And what if we want to send you one? :p

Hehe, then specify that you want to send me one in the PM! ;)

Kit Merlot
21st November 2009, 23:06
I think this is a lovely and Christmasy idea :D

And it will keep postal workers employed--great work:P

Fouzia
21st November 2009, 23:15
Hi!! I am in france can I play!!!

Julie
21st November 2009, 23:15
I think this is a lovely and Christmasy idea :D

And it will keep postal workers employed--great work:P

Haha, indeed! Since the invention of e-mail, I bet postal work has gone down quite a bit! And there's something special about receiving a hand written card or letter in the mail :D

Julie
21st November 2009, 23:16
Hi!! I am in france can I play!!!

Of course! Just know that by signing up to the exchange, you will have to send some one a card from yourself, and that person can be in America, or even Asia! So you will have to be prepared to pay for the postage to the other side of the world ;)

Julie
22nd November 2009, 18:02
Just updated the date for when you should have sent your card, December 10th. At least I (from Norway) will have to send the cards at the latest at December 10th. According to the postal office, that's the date they recommend if sending cards to USA.

MelBee1985
22nd November 2009, 19:24
For Canada, it depends of the country:

Mailing to...
Africa: November 23
Asia: December 1
Australia: December 1
Caribbean: December 1
Central/South America: November 23
Europe: December 1
Middle East: December 1
New Zealand: December 1
USA: December 14

There are other dates, where I may have to pay an extra, but basically, you may receive a letter from me later than earlier if you're nt in USA and mostly if you're in Africa/Central and South America. ::/:

As for USA, it looks like it's about Dec 4th or 11th, but I'm not sure (americans might tell better), if it's a normal sent-by-mail letter or if you have to pay a small extra...

Do we need to wait until Dec 5th to get al the adresses? I would think by next week, we might have time to get as much people as we can?

Everyone who participates should look about their own deadlines and perhaps post it here, just so we are safe. :)

westwingwolf
22nd November 2009, 20:50
From the US to:

US: Dec. 21
Africa: Dec. 4
Asia: Dec. 11
Australia: Dec. 11
Canada: Dec. 11
Caribbean: Dec. 11
Central & South America: Dec. 4
Mexico: Dec. 11
Europe: Dec. 11
Middle East: Dec. 11

All these dates are for First Class Mail.

Julie
22nd November 2009, 20:55
Well, I can start assigning names ASAP, beginning with those who've already sent in :)

Julie
24th November 2009, 00:38
So far 14 people have signed up, which is awesome! It's still not too late if you're interested in joining up!

Julie
24th November 2009, 16:28
Alright! Those of you who've already signed up has now received a PM from me with their exchange recipient!

Have fun, and try and get your cards out as soon as possible to allow for international postage!

It's still not too late to sign up if you're interested! I'll assign names from now on as soon as they enter, so don't worry! If you want to get a Christmas card from somewhere in the world, sign up! :)

And a BIG thanks to all of you who've signed up already, it's people like you who makes this community so great! :D

MelBee1985
24th November 2009, 18:57
Awesome!

We should all post a picture of the card we received here (well in picture thread?). That'd be awesome to see who received a card from who and see if there is a 'cultural' touch to it or 'personal' touch. :D

Julie
25th November 2009, 00:58
Awesome!

We should all post a picture of the card we received here (well in picture thread?). That'd be awesome to see who received a card from who and see if there is a 'cultural' touch to it or 'personal' touch. :D

I agree! Those who wish to share their card, please do post them up for the rest of us to see! You can post them in this thread :)

On other notes, I went out and bought Christmas cards today, to send off! :D Will get started on writing the card tomorrow hopefully!

lkedino
26th November 2009, 14:04
I am in. I think would be great

Julie
4th December 2009, 23:32
Hey guys! Just a little reminder, -- Have you sent your cards yet? ;)

And don't be shy to post up a picture your cards here once they arrive (if you feel like sharing) :D

MelBee1985
5th December 2009, 01:39
Yep. Mine were sent Tuesday. Someone already received one of them :D

Speaking of Julie, don't you have a pic to post then? ;)

Julie
5th December 2009, 01:47
Yep. Mine were sent Tuesday. Someone already received one of them :D

Speaking of Julie, don't you have a pic to post then? ;)

Hehehe, I will, I will :D Just want to take a better picture than what I uploaded to my blog! :D And I've been a bit busy you know ;)

Kit Merlot
5th December 2009, 03:21
Hey guys! Just a little reminder, -- Have you sent your cards yet? ;)

And don't be shy to post up a picture your cards here once they arrive (if you feel like sharing) :D

I already sent my cards, but I will not be able to put up a picture of my card--once I receive it of course--because I basically have no clue how to post pictures:grin3:

lexie
5th December 2009, 05:28
I already sent my cards, but I will not be able to put up a picture of my card--once I receive it of course--because I basically have no clue how to post pictures:grin3:

YouŽd need a scanner for that. YouŽd have to scan the card, upload the file to some hosting service on the net such as Imageshack or Photobucket and then copy and paste the link here.

MelBee1985
5th December 2009, 05:35
YouŽd need a scanner for that. YouŽd have to scan the card, upload the file to some hosting service on the net such as Imageshack or Photobucket and then copy and paste the link here.

Hmm or easier: Take a picture with a numeric camera and upload on laptop, then host it on a site like lexie suggested.

:)

MelBee1985
11th December 2009, 17:43
Thanks Mindy for the funny card!

I'll post a picture of it sometimes this weekend ;)

Booksketeer
11th December 2009, 18:34
Oh, I was a dork-I forgot to put my NS username on the card I sent; so when the person receives it and puts it up here, I'll let her know it's from me.

westwingwolf
11th December 2009, 20:28
Thanks Mindy for the funny card!

I'll post a picture of it sometimes this weekend ;)

Oh good, you got it, that is one less worry on my mind. FYI Mel, my mother also thought it was funny when I showed it to her.

My mother has informed me that I got a card in the mail so when I get home, hopefully by Sunday, I'll put it up.

Julie
11th December 2009, 20:49
I keep forgetting to take a (proper) picture of the card MelBee sent me, so here's the iPhone photo!

http://www.juliehoaas.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/12/p_1600_1200_D95C7FDC-EA8F-4A92-A407-9A48D910F78D.jpeg

I also got a sweet card from Kit_Merlot here, will see if I can't snap a shot of it soon and edit it in! :D

MelBee1985
11th December 2009, 22:41
Here's the card westwingwolf (Mindy) gave me:

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2714/4177461604_96109a7637.jpg

And here is the rest of the story ;)

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2773/4177464442_991a457eed.jpg

Julie
11th December 2009, 23:10
Hahaha, wicked card!! :D

Scorch
12th December 2009, 22:36
So, so sorry I missed being a part of this, but my computer got a nasty worm and though the important parts are fine, I'm still trying to recover a lot of other things.

Amm looking forward to seeing some unique Christmas rhymes!

Augustine86
15th December 2009, 16:39
I sent my card, but I have yet to receive one. I can't wait though :D!

westwingwolf
19th December 2009, 05:54
So sorry that I waited this long to post. I was lazy. Thanks to Mel for this cool card and for translating the French for me. I totally understood it...after it was translated of course, but I did recognize how the translation worked so that totally counts.

http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j167/westwingwolf/th_scan0002.jpg (http://s80.photobucket.com/albums/j167/westwingwolf/?action=view&current=scan0002.jpg)

http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j167/westwingwolf/th_scan0004.jpg (http://s80.photobucket.com/albums/j167/westwingwolf/?action=view&current=scan0004.jpg)

Julie
20th December 2009, 16:50
Sorry it took me so long, but there's the card I got from Kit! :D

http://s3.amazonaws.com/twitpic/photos/full/50976437.jpg?AWSAccessKeyId=0ZRYP5X5F6FSMBCCSE82&Expires=1261864520&Signature=IdoNEY9QSN5aLz94TtBfhIKc7l8%3D

Julie
26th December 2009, 23:54
I hope everyone who participated have received their cards! :) If this was fun, and something you would like to see again next December, let me know! :)

westwingwolf
27th December 2009, 00:35
I liked this, Julie I can't see the pic you put up but I don't know if that's just me.

Julie
27th December 2009, 01:03
I liked this, Julie I can't see the pic you put up but I don't know if that's just me.

I edited the post earlier, and I can see the picture now...

westwingwolf
27th December 2009, 03:33
I still can't see it so it must be me. Oh well.

Kit Merlot
27th December 2009, 05:22
I still can't see it so it must be me. Oh well.

I know I sent the card, Julie, but I can't see the pic either;)

And I thought this Christmas Card Exchange was fabulous, and I hope this will be a new tradition on NS.

Julie
27th December 2009, 11:27
That is odd :S

Hm, how about here: http://twitpic.com/uclo5 or here http://twitpic.com/ucli4 ?

Kit Merlot
27th December 2009, 21:27
Yeah, I saw the twitpic:grin3:

And what a lovely card it is:P

Augustine86
30th December 2009, 17:04
I finally got my card!!! And it's from so far away and soooo pretty! And it came in a big red envelope, which I loved for some weird reason. Here it is:

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y38/Augustine86/DSC04072.jpg

Thanks a lot, Tanschana, for the awesome Chlexmas card. I hope you have a fabulous 2010 too.

Julie
1st January 2010, 16:27
I finally got my card!!! And it's from so far away and soooo pretty! And it came in a big red envelope, which I loved for some weird reason. Here it is:

[...]

Thanks a lot, Tanschana, for the awesome Chlexmas card. I hope you have a fabulous 2010 too.

Pretty card! :D