PDA

View Full Version : [Completed] Monthly Fanfiction Challenge #2 - "The Safe House" - July 2009 - Winner: lexie

skauble
23rd July 2009, 11:57
Hello, all, and welcome to the voting for the July challenge. This month's challenge was "The Safe House".

First of all, thanks to all of the fantastic NS writers that participated in this month's challenge. You guys seriously rock!

There was a lot of discussion about the way voting is going to be handled and now that our fearless leader Jules has returned I'd like that that discussion to be ongoing with her input. So, the system we're trying out this month is this - we're going to have a poll. That means that everyone only gets to vote for their favorite and not their top two this month. I think it's for the best that before we figure out which voting method works best we give just a basic version of polling like this a try.

So, everyone please vote! It is anonymous to do so, so even our shyest of Chlexers can participate. :) Voting will end at 11:59 pm on July 31st.

Thanks!

Direct links to the stories:

Story One (http://forums.naughty-seduction.net/showthread.php?p=249572#post249572)

Story Two (http://forums.naughty-seduction.net/showthread.php?p=249573#post249573)

Story Three (http://forums.naughty-seduction.net/showthread.php?p=249574#post249574)

Story Four (http://forums.naughty-seduction.net/showthread.php?p=249575#post249575)

Story Five (http://forums.naughty-seduction.net/showthread.php?p=249576#post249576)

~Sarah~

skauble
23rd July 2009, 12:01
STORY ONE

TITLE: “On a Day Just like Today...”

CHALLENGE: July ´09- Challenge #2- The Safe House

RATING: PG

WORD COUNT: 1,000

Today she was turning twenty-two and still, she felt as if she´d lived a lot longer. Five years ago she´d been full of dreams and projects- an idealist who believed the world could be changed by the power of her pen and her unquenchable thirst for the truth. She wasn’t that gullible girl any more.

As she looked at the Metropolis skyline from the balcony of the Ace of Clubs- away from the loud music and the inane talking and laughing she couldn´t find the heart to join in tonight- she found herself reminiscing that summer, the summer that had changed it all.

The green-eyed monster can make you do the most foolish and reckless things, and she´d fallen prey to it at seventeen. She´d been lured by the most cunning of devils and let herself be trapped in a mirage which almost cost her and her dad their lives.
Salvation had come from the most unexpected knight in dented armour, and she´d let herself be rescued only to be trapped in a different way. Two strong-willed and independent souls had come together under the oddest of circumstances and a strange alliance had been forged to slay the dragon which was threatening them both.

Her oppressive dungeon was changed for a secluded safe house on the beach and her dangerous jailor for a young man whose purpose in life had always been to break out of his own prison- a destructive iron maiden forged in the same hellish foundry as her cage.

The traffic was slimming down and yet, the sound of blaring sirens and distant shootings- so ubiquitous in a criminal-infested city like Metropolis- pierced her ears and made her wish she could obliterate the world around her and go back to that beach.

“If only there could be an invention that bottled up a memory, like scent. And it never faded, and it never got stale. And then, when one wanted it, the bottle could be uncorked, and it would be like living the moment all over again,” she remembered quoting one very special sunset- the last one they´d shared sitting side by side barefoot on the sand.

“I didn´t know you were so fond of Du Maurier,” he´d told her after a long pregnant silence.

“I´m not, but I ran out of books to read... And that passage for some reason kind of stuck in my mind.”

“You should have told me the last time I came. I thought the box I´d brought you a fortnight ago would last you until the end of the month.”

“So did I, but I haven´t been able to sleep much lately,” she´d confessed, staring at the horizon, too overwhelmed by emotion to look him in the eye.

“It´ll soon be over, Chloe,” he´d said softly, covering one of her hands with his as she wrapped her arms around her bended legs and rested her chin on her knees.

“I know, “ she´d whispered in a strangled voice, wondering if those words meant what she hoped.

“The trial´ll be over the day after tomorrow and he´ll be put away for life. He won´t hurt you, Chloe. I won´t let him,” he´d promised fiercely, fighting the urge to thread his fingers through her hair and bring her closer to him.

“I know,” she´d said, feeling the tears well up when she realised he hadn´t meant his words that way.

“Chloe, “ he´d said, resting his hand on her back only to feel her tremble. “Come. You´re cold; we should be getting back to the house.”

“No!” she´d exclaimed, pulling him down by the hand.” I´m fine. Let´s just stay for a while longer... until the sun sets. I want to remember this moment.”

“Are you sure everything´s all right?” he´d asked, wanting nothing more than to embrace her and never let go. “Chloe?” he´d insisted.

“I´m a year older today. Seventeen,” she sighed, trying to keep her lips from trembling.

“I know. I got you a present. I was going to give it to you before I left.”

“You were?”

“I am.”

“Will I like it?” she´d asked softly, blinking away some treacherous tears.

“I think you will. I wish I could give you more, but...” he´d begun responding.

“So let´s go and see what you got me, Mr Luthor,” she´d scrambled to her feet, cutting him off before he could say something that might make her heart ache deeper.

“Chloe,” he´d called, trying to catch up with her, his bare feet sinking in the sand of the dune on his way up.

“So... where is it? I want to unwrap my present,” she´d told Lex on crossing the threshold, her eyes unnaturally bright, feigning a cheerfulness she was far from feeling.

“I´ve left it on the coffee table,” he´d said quietly, cursing Lionel Luthor and fate for bringing them together much too soon.

“Tales of the Weird and the Unexpected,” she´d read aloud.

“There´s an inscription inside,” he´d told her, putting his hands deep in his pockets.

“Let there always be a mystery to solve and a story to write.”

“You OK?” asked Oliver´s voice, bringing her back to the present.

“Yeah. Birthdays make me a little reflective. What´s that?”

“I´m sorry to say it isn´t mine. Clark must have left it on my desk when he visited LuthorCorp this morning. Aren´t you going to open it?”

`Tales of the Weird and the Unexpected´ read the cover of the book she unwrapped.

“Isn´t there a dedication on the first page?”

“Yes,” she answered softly.

Happy birthday, Chloe. Here´s what I wish I could have said that summer: Will you wait for me?

“Someone´s told me you´re the birthday, girl,” Zatanna, a gorgeous woman in a top hat, told Chloe.
“Make a wish. Ready? Blow the candle on the cupcake, then.”

Take me back to that summer. I won´t let him leave the safe house this time.

“Do you like it, Chloe?”

“Tell me the words you really meant to write, Lex.”

THE END

A/N:

Chloe´s quotation in her conversation with Lex in the flashback corresponds to Daphne Du Maurier´s “Rebecca”.

The first two lines of her conversation with Oliver are taken almost verbatim from “Hex” (8x17)

skauble
23rd July 2009, 12:02
STORY TWO

"Playing to Get a Better Hand"

One. “I”

Two. “De-“

Three. “-clare”

Four. “War!”

“Yes!” Chloe shouted enthusiastically when her top card featuring the Seven of Hearts beat Lex’s Six of Clubs thus ending an amazing round which finished with an unlikely triple war and claimed the last of his cards.

There was no shame as she did a mini dance of joy while sitting cross-legged on the sofa in the living room of the safe house where she was forced to spend her time for the summer. Lex offered a small, yet genuine smile as she basked in her triumph, but he couldn’t let think that she had bested him completely. “Very well, you are obviously very lucky in games of chance, but the next game will require skill.”

Chloe gave him a quick eye roll before asking, “What like some tiresome game such as ‘Monopoly’ where the only real winner is the last one to give into the boredom before declaring the game a wash?”

Lex had to laugh at her accurate assessment of said game. “Actually, I tend to steer away from games that resemble my real life too closely.”

“So no to ‘Operation’ then?” She teased before he could finish his thought.

Giving her the stare, he finished “I think both of us would be done with hospitals but if you want to play ‘Doctor’…” He should feel guilty that he managed to make the seventeen year old blush. Guilty and dirty, but honestly he couldn’t muster those emotions around her. Besides if Chloe felt he was crossing a line, she’d be the first tell him.

As soon as she felt the flush in her cheeks lessen, she stated, “Moving on, what game did you have in mind?”

“How about a game that matches our equal skill…‘Scrabble.’” At her nod, he went to the chest where various games were piled. He brought the chest and games with him the day after he’d been released from the hospital. He knew she had her computer but there wasn’t much she could do with it without a connection to the internet. And Spider Solitaire lost its allure after winning several games in a row.

Still he worried it wasn’t enough. Her only viable opponents were him and her father as the guards could not have any distractions. Try as he might, there was only so much interest a father, even a good one like Gabe, could manage when it came to board games, especially when Chloe had finally learned how to best him at Chinese Checkers at ten.
So that left Lex as her sole companion for fun around here and unfortunately he couldn’t be around as often as he liked or else risk alerting Lionel’s minions to her presence. But he managed to see her at least once a week, no matter what his schedule, no matter how much back-tracking he had to accomplish in order to throw off the enforcers.

As they went about setting up the board and preparing the tiles, Lex figured it was a good enough time to mention that he hadn’t found Clark yet. He knew Chloe hated trying to find casual ways to ask, and it wasn’t right to make her wait too long for a report even if that report hadn’t changed at all sense the day their friend disappeared.

At the stilted news, Chloe’s happy nature was once again downcast. She got up from the sofa and paced behind it frustrated that due to her safety protection there couldn’t even be a window to look out. “I think if I was able to help, I might find something.” She pleaded with Lex.

He didn’t know whether to smile at her persistence or frown at the risk she was willing to take when she was already swimming in trouble. “I can’t deny how good you are with a computer, but this is different Chloe. There is literally no trace, and Martha isn’t being forthcoming.” He stood up to stop her pacing and made her look at him. “We both know how good Clark is at saving people. I’m sure if he’s in any trouble, he’ll be fine. Until then, we just have to wait. And Clark will never forgive me if I let something happen to you. I’m already in enough trouble with him as it is.” When she acquiesced to his reason with a nod, he dropped his hands from her shoulders and walked back to his spot around the table.

Truth of the matter was that while he wanted Clark’s friendship, when it came to Chloe, Clark didn’t even come to close to the list of reasons he wanted her protected. From the beginning of their partnership, even the advantage of finally being rid of his father was slipping farther down that list.

“Thank you.” He looked up from the tiles he was flipping over (Chloe had insisted that picking the tiles from a pile allowed for more choice that picking from the bag.) to see that she had returned to her seat, and was now staring at him with honest gratitude. “Not just for believing me when I first came to speak to you about your father or continuing to hide me, but thank you for coming to see me. And for talking me down from the proverbial ledge.”

She took a deep soothing breath before continuing, “I just feel like sometimes even though Lionel’s the one in jail, I’m the one stuck in the cage. And I know it won’t be forever and I just have to wait, but it’s hard to remember that sometimes. So I’m glad you’re here. And I’m glad that I came to you months ago.” She reached across the table to take his hand in a foreign show of affection that somehow didn’t feel that odd. “And not just because you got me out of that mess. I’m glad because it allowed for us to be closer friends.”

Since he was a teenager, Lex had done his best to never show true emotions but at this moment he didn’t care. He gently squeezed her hand before answering with a smile, “I’m happy for that too.” After a shared smile, they dropped their hands to pick their tiles.

Chloe had become very important to him in the short span of time that they worked together. He swore to do everything in his power to protect her from Lionel and anyone else that could cause her harm. And if he didn’t have the power, then he would find a way to get it.

The End.

skauble
23rd July 2009, 12:03
STORY THREE

In Another Life

Once upon a time, in another life, Lex Luthor and Chloe Sullivan fell madly in love, and when they were asked when their romance began they would always smile at each other and say: "The Safe House."

The safe house was the first time in the year that they were working together to stop his father that Lex had truly feared for Chloe's life.

And it was in that fear that he understood the depth of his feelings for the blonde reporter.

So in typical Lex Luthor thinking, he tried to emotionally pull away from his feelings, but Chloe wouldn't let him.

"Lex, what the hell do you think you're doing?"

Lex had looked up startled at Chloe's angry tone, and felt his own temper snapping back. "Trying to keep you safe."

Chloe, not in the least bit intimidated, stared him down. "From your father, or from you?"

When Lex didn't answer, Chloe had rolled her eyes in exasperation. "Lex, don't even try to say that you're anything like Lionel Luthor. If you were, you would have left me and my dad to fend for ourselves. You're a good person and don't ever forget it."

He hadn't believed her at first, but slowly, through his weekly visits, Lex had begun to understand that Chloe truly trusted him with her life and the life of her father.

They didn't have long drawn out conversations on the subject, but Chloe would give Lex the letters she'd written to her dad, knowing that he would see to it that they were delivered.

That had humbled him to his very core, and he carried the duty out faithfully.

When the danger passed and Chloe and Gabe were allowed to return to Smallville, Lex had again tried to pull away, and again, Chloe stopped him.

She would show up unexpectedly at the Mansion or his office at the crap factory, and she'd hand him a letter she's written, but this time it would be addressed to him.

The letters wouldn't be overly sappy, but rather, they would be just like the letters she'd written in the safe house: full of the mundane aspects of life, but it was Chloe's way of letting him know she was alive and well.

And because Chloe was writing it, the letters were witty and full of life, and Lex treasured them all.

They communicated by hand written letters for most of Chloe's senior year until the day of her graduation, when Lex finally realized that he wanted more and asked her out on a date.

She'd refused, and it wasn't until he sent her an engraved invitation to dinner that she'd accepted a date with him.

The only person who understood why Chloe and Lex would leave each other long, hand written letters was Gabe.

The letters were Chloe and Lex's way of remembering all that they might have lost and all that they had found in each other.

Present Day

Lex Luthor stared at Chloe Sullivan through the plexiglass of the Metropolis jail.

His trial was starting tomorrow, and the only interview he granted was to The Daily Planet’s star reporter, Chloe Sullivan.

His lawyer questioned the wisdom in Lex’s speaking to the woman whose expose on his crimes against humanity was what lead to the investigation into his projects and experiments, which in turn lead to his being arrested.

But he couldn’t hate her. She had always been a resourceful investigator and formidable opponent, who never gave up until the truth was revealed.

She covered Metropolis’ crime beat, and her investigations usually involved reporting on corruption in the city’s political structure, she also uncovered Luthorcorp’s and their competitors unsavory business deals.

Unlike the dynamic duo of Lane and Kent, Chloe didn’t target Lex and his company because he was an easy victim, rather she went after him when she had proof that he’d done something illegal.

Lois and Clark, on the other hand, wrote articles based on hearsay and innuendo about all of his alleged evil doings without a shred of proof.

Lex would then sue Lois and Clark and the Daily Planet for libel and defamation of character, and it happened enough times that Lane and Kent were made laughing stocks of in the journalism world.

But it was Chloe, through years of quietly and meticulously gathering evidence on 33. 1 and Black Creek, who managed in a series of articles, to destroy Lex’s benevolent businessman facade and show the world his dangerous obsession with meteor freaks.

She also gave the Daily Planet back it’s credibility.

Chloe stared back at Lex and waited for him to speak, noting with a slight twinge of conscience, that he looked exhausted.

Finally, he broke the silence. “Chloe, do you remember the safe house?”

Chloe was startled by this opening topic, but she answered gamely. “Yes, I remember it well. You still had your humanity then.”

He didn’t flinch, but he couldn’t hide the flicker of pain that crossed his face at her words. “That was before I knew how dangerous meteor freaks could be.”

He paused briefly before adding, “Present company excluded of course.”

Chloe’s smiled bitterly through her sarcasm.. “Thanks ever so much.”

She looked wearily around the visitors room before asking, “Why are you asking me about the safe house? That was a million years ago.”

“Sometimes I feel like it was yesterday,” he answered softly. “I still have all of those letters you wrote me.”

“I burned mine the day after graduation when you asked Lana Lang on a date” she retorted sharply.

Lex winced, knowing that had been his crucial error, and the minute it all started going wrong for him. He’d chosen the wrong woman, and lived to regret it.

He tried again, wanting Chloe to understand what he was trying to tell her. “Do you ever think, in another life...” He broke off, not quite sure what to say.

But Chloe surprised him by whispering, so low he wasn’t quite sure he heard her correctly, “Everyday.”

skauble
23rd July 2009, 12:04
STORY FOUR

Helicopters whirled overhead and Chloe pressed her earpiece tighter into her ear. They had appeared when a journalist from the Daily Planet had asked Lex a question on witness intimidation. A neat trick by Lex to destroy any footage they might take of his impromptu press conference on the steps of City Hall.

He hadn’t noticed her and she supposed that that was the only advantage she would get today. “Mr Luthor, sources inside of Judge Whelan’s office say he is looking closely at the suggestion that LexCorps employees were involved in the assault of Mrs Rhys.” This time someone from The Inquisitor. Lex turned slowly at the voice and said easily, “I don’t comment on idle speculation”’

“Jackass” Chloe murmured under her breath but was already running in the direction of his waiting limousine whilst he answered one final question. And the Gods smiled upon her, as at the moment she got to the car someone hurled a lit torch at the vehicle, missing it but distracting Mercy long enough for Chloe to slip inside. She turned her recorder on and waited.

Lex never stayed long, it really was mostly to check that she was still alive. And this lack of confidence in his security team really should have been troubling to Chloe considering what later happened. Clark, always rescuing her, even when she was dead.

The first time he came she had been in the shower and he had gone by the time she had got out. A note left on her computer, Just checking, L. Checking what? she thought as she saw the laptop opened slightly higher than she remembered leaving it. There was not much to do with the long days and short nights. She had transported her Wall of Weird with her but it did not provide her with the comfort she had wanted from it. She wrote a couple of articles for the Torch on things she picked up from the local papers but spent most of the days reading pre-trial documents that she had requested from Lex.

The second time he came she was sitting by the window chewing her lip, lost in reflection. He appeared wordlessly behind her and she jumped, catching the scream in her throat. Maybe she was more on edge than she had thought.

“You should be more alert. I could have been anyone”

“Nice to see you too” she replied rolling her eyes.

“The lawyer wants to meet you to go over your testimony. Is tomorrow ok?”

“Let me check my schedule.” She made a show of looking into her blank notebook

“It will soon be over Chloe, just a few more weeks”

“Easy for you to say, you’re in the land of the living. All I have for company is that potted plant over there, the internet and my wild imagination.”

“You’d be surprised what could be accomplished with those with a bit of application” was all Lex said and Chloe again wondered about Lex’s misspent youth. Or well spent youth, depending.

The third time was also the last time and Chloe had many years to think about it. She had spent the afternoon looking at old photos of her, Clark and Pete. Especially her and Clark. She wondered how much he was mourning, and part of her hoped, a lot. This time she had the advantage of the light from the kitchen illuminating the window in front of her so she could see Lex reflected behind her and was prepared when he walked soundlessly towards her. She turned to him with a knife in hand and a raised eyebrow.

“You need to be aiming it here to cause any real damage” he said, grasping her hand and re-directing the angle of the knife.

“You know, one day, I actually will catch you off guard. I’ll surprise you”

Lex looked at her strangely “You already surprise me” he was still holding her wrist and he lowered her hand and took the knife with his other hand, dropping it into the sink. He rubbed her wrist with his thumb and she flushed.

“Do I make you uncomfortable Chloe?”

“No.” Yes

“Are you sure?”

“You’re not the Luthor I’m afraid of” and then his cellphone rang and the moment was broken.

Chloe snatched her hand back and Lex looked at her a moment before taking the call. Now, with a few years experience behind her Chloe recognized that moment for what it was. A subtle imperceptible come-on and she really had never known what to do with that information. The next time they met was at court and it was like nothing had ever happened, and she guessed nothing actually had.

“What the -- ?” Lex turned in his seat seeing her

“Genuine emotion Lex? I’m shocked!”

“I could have you arrested for trespassing”

“Trespassing in a car? That would be a new one”

Lex seemed to compose himself. “What can I do for you Chloe?”

“Someone who is trying to compromise my journalistic integrity, and at the moment my list of suspects is narrowed down to just one, is spreading a story saying that I had an illicit affair with Lex Luthor when I was 17 and the exposés I am currently running are a form of misguided revenge for a love affair gone desperately wrong.”

“And what makes you think it’s me?”
“I’m close Lex. So close I can smell the drying blood on your victims. You know it and I know it, so you’re fighting low and dirty. Make it go away”

“And hypothetically speaking, if it doesn’t stop?”

“Then you will be the second Luthor I will put away”

She let herself out at a red light and breathed deeply thinking back to that summer, the people they were and the people they had become, and really this had always been the only outcome.

skauble
23rd July 2009, 12:05
STORY FIVE

Field Mice and Aged Wine
One shot: Safe house Challenge
Pairing: Chlex
Category: AU, Romance
Rating: PG:13
Summary: There were field mice in the wine cellar.

Chloe paced the large expanse of the “safe house.” Well, if you could call it a safe house. It was more like a huge mansion with a living room as big as her whole house. When Lex had said safe house, Chole had imagined a small space with nothing but the bare necessities.

But when Lex, has said safe house, Chloe should have known better. It was a huge eight bedroom home in the middle of no where USA. The town was so unknown that she could barely remember its name. But still…

The house was huge and it had everything one could want. A whole entertainment system, a top of the line computer system, good food. Lex had certainly gone all out, making sure she was as comfortable as possible for her stay at Casa de Safe house.

Yes, she was comfortable. That much was true, but she was also lonely. So very lonely.
She and her dad had to have been separated, at Lex’s orders of coursing explaining that it would be safer for the both of them if they were split up. Chloe understood. She really did.

But it didn’t suck any less though.

She wasn’t allowed to speak to him on the account of not being able to have a cell phone. However, she was able to e-mail him, but that wasn’t any fun on the account of having to practically speak in code.

She still was trying to figure out what he meant by saying the “The Money in the mattress.” She whished she hadn’t given him that code talk for dummies book for Christmas two years ago. But anyway, it sucked that she hadn’t had any real human interaction for a whole month save for the creepy hired bodyguard who only ever says
“I’m just checking the perimeter.” At least three times ago. She’s given up trying to engage him in conversation whenever she sees him on the account that he always gives her this creepy look.

She doesn’t even know where he sleeps at night. If he does sleep at all.

But Anyway, back to the pacing. She had been In hiding for exactly forty four days today. How long was she going to be stuck here? Six months? A year? Years? Chloe wasn’t sure especially now that she was officially “dead.” The thought made her utterly depressed. Well more depressed than she already was.

Shaking her depressive thoughts, she made her way from the living room and into the kitchen. She didn’t want to watch TV anymore. Nor did she want to surf the net or read anymore books.

She was bored and anyone who knew her knew that a bored Chloe was a dangerous Chloe. Of course, because of her curious nature she had already explored the house from top to bottom. Except one room, which was locked.

“Not for long.” She mutter out loud. She made her way into the kitchen and quickly reached for a knife. She jogged down toward the end of a hall and quickly went to work. She stuck the knife in between the lock and the door. She bit her lip as she wriggled it once then twice. She narrowed her eyes and pushed hard.

The knife slid in between the lock and the door slid open, banging against the door loudly. She reached over and switched on the light switch. She didn’t know what she was really expecting.

“Stairs.” She said softly. She stared down at the narrow stairs. “Should I walk down there?” She asked. She nodded once. “Yes.”

It was a wine cellar.

Chloe didn’t really know what to expect when she had walked down those stairs. Maybe Lex’s deepest darkest secrets. Maybe some dead bodies. Not wine.

She sighed and placed her hands onto her hips. Rows and rows of wine bottles lined one wall and Chloe idly wondered why he had so many if he wouldn’t bother to drink them. She stared at them for a long moment before she reached for one bottle.

“Cayuga White,” she read. “1904.” She opened the bottle and sniffed. She shrugged. “Bottoms up.” She said before taking a swig. Her eyes widened and she gagged. “Blah!” She said. She shook her head. “That’s awesome.” She said and took another drink.

She was dizzy.

Not room spinning dizzy, but the good kind. She had already sampled four bottles of wine and she was beginning to become a connoisseur of wine. She giggled to herself. “Connoisseur.” She said. She had settled on a forty year old Chardonnay and was halfway through the bottle before she heard it.

It was a squeaky sound. She lowered the bottle and glanced down with a frown when she heard the squeaky sound again. She slowly blinked when she saw a little grey creature run across her feet.

It took her exactly five seconds to realize that the little gray creature was not a hallucination. It took her another two seconds to realize that the little grey creature was a little grey mouse.

Chloe has done more dangerous things than the average girl. She faced more dangerous people than the average person. But she hated mice.

She did the only thing she could think of. She screamed.

Lex frowned as he moved from room to room in search of Chloe. “Chloe?” He called as he moved from the kitchen. He made his way down the hall. He paused in front of the whine cellar doorway. His eyes widened as he heard a scream. He reached and drew his gun.

“Chloe!”

She was standing on top of a table.

“Chloe!”

She yelped as she turned to face Lex. She yelped again as she noticed the gun he was currently pointing in her direction. She lifted her hands and the wine sloshed out from the bottle and down her wrist.

“Lex!” She said.

He frowned and lowered the gun. “Chloe?” He glanced around, his brow furrowing in confusion.

“Why are you pointing a gun?” She asked.

“I heard you scream.” He answered. He put his gun away and glanced at the open wine bottles. “Chloe, why are-” He trailed off as his arms were suddenly filled with Chloe.

“There are mice down here!” She muttered. She buried her face in his neck.

He stumbled backwards as he tried to shift his weight. “Chloe, you have to get-”

“No!” She whimpered. She held both the wine bottle and his neck in a death grip. “I’m afraid.”

He sighed loudly and adjusted her weight. “Where is Connor?” He asked as he slowly made his way up the stairs.

“Who’s Connor?” She asked.

“Your Bodyguard.” He answered.

She was quiet for a moment then. “So that’s his name.”

He set her down onto her feet when he reached the top of the stairs.

“Thanks.” Chloe smiled up at him. She lifted the bottle of chardonnay. “Wine?”

Lex’s frown returned. “Chloe, you aren’t suppose to be-” he trailed off at her expression. With a small sigh he reached over and plucked the bottle from her hands. “This was a five thousand dollar bottle.”

Her eyes widened slightly. “I knew I tasted money.” she said with a small shake of her head. She tried to move around him, but noticed her world seemed to tilt in a strange way if she moved too much. “I think,” She started. “I’m drunk.”

She fainted.

She woke up five hours later.

She groaned as she sat up in bed. She glanced about her darkened bedroom with a small frown.

Her head pounded with a headache and she groaned again. “I didn’t even drink that much.” She groaned.

“It’s very aged wine.”

She nearly jumped out of her skin and turned at the sound of Lex’s voice. He was sitting on the floor beside her bed.

He glanced up at her. “There’s water and two aspirin on the night stand.”

She reached over and switched on the lamp. She blinked against the sudden brightness and reached for the two pills and water. She quickly downed them and swallowed the water. It was almost instantaneous the way the headache faded. She sighed, her shoulders relaxing. “Thanks.”

Chloe sighed as she slid from the bed and sat next to him. “Hi.”

He smiled. “Hi.” He said. “You know your dad asked me to let him know how you’re holding up. I guess I shouldn’t tell him about the drinking huh?”

She smiled. “No, I guess not.” She looked down feeling embarrassed. “I was bored.” She explained. “I haven’t been around anyone for a whole month.”

Lex was giving her that look again. That I’m sorry my father is a crazy asshole look. But there was no need for it really. She should have known better than to get involved with Lionel Luthor. Now she and her dad were both paying the price for her stupidity.

“I would come by more Chloe, but it would-”

“Make things look suspicious I get it.” She sighed. “It’s okay Lex. It’s just how long-”

“Not long.” he cut in very softly.

She perked up at this. “Really? How do you know? Was there a break in-”

“My father is dying.”

She stared at him with surprise. She should have felt ashamed for her initial feeling of elation but she wasn’t. She could only stare at Lex, not knowing what to say.

Lex sighed. “You the messed up thing is I actually feel bad.”

“Well he’s your dad.” She said quietly.

He sighed. “I keep thinking the same thing, but I don’t know what that means.”

Chloe did the only thing she could think of. She reached for his hand. “You’re a good man Lex.” She smiled. “You just don’t know it yet.”

Lex stared down at their joined hands before glancing back up at her.

Chloe hadn’t expected him to kiss her and she certainly hadn’t been expecting herself to kiss him back.

Her hand wrapped around his neck as the kiss deepened. She sighed as his tongue brushed against her own.

Lex quickly pulled away his eyes surprised. “Sorry.” He muttered.

She stared at him, dazed. “Sorry?” She tightened her hold on his hand and slid next to him. She lied hr hand on his shoulder. “I should compliment you more.”

END

Ultra
23rd July 2009, 18:50
That was a really tough decision! I got totally stuck trying to choose between two fics in particular... almost resorted to eeny, meeny, miney, mo! :P

westwingwolf
23rd July 2009, 19:33
All good, in story 1: I like the use of the Rebecca quote and the use of Hex so Chloe good go back and do it all over again. In story 2: I like the idea of Lex playing actual games. In story 3: I like the idea of keeping with the writing of letters. In story 4: I like that Chloe managed to surprise Lex. In story 5: I liked the moment of when Lex found Chloe in the cellar.

All worthy entries!

somethingeasy
23rd July 2009, 19:57
This was a really tough choice. In the end, I went for the fic that had me giggling at laughing at the really silly, cute visuals... or Chloe getting drunk in a dark cellar on a five thousand dollar bottle of wine... before shrieking and jumping on a table.

(erm... that's fic number five, in case that's not clear! LOL!)

LOL! And it was even funnier when Lex came in on the scene to enjoy it too, ROTFL! What a ridiculous, hilarious situation... AND it was the perfect, delicious moment for them to have their first kiss!!

Whoever wrote that one... beautiful work! So funny!

And my appreciation to all the people who participated. All the ficlets were amazing reads, and it was TRULY hard to pick only one of them.

ChloeLovesLex
23rd July 2009, 20:55
Excellent work from everyone again this month. I truly enjoyed them all. I had a hard time between two of them again. I honestly just chose one because I had to, but they were a totally tie for me. Then I felt all bad because the one I voted for already had votes and the other did not. *sigh* Now I have guilt - LOL!

malugargula
23rd July 2009, 21:15
Wow... Great fics, it`s really hard to choose... But the "Hex" got me
;)

Kit Merlot
24th July 2009, 02:49
I love how wonderfully different all of these great fics are, but I have to say that the one based on Hex was damn haunting, especially where Chloe wished to be back at the safe house.

I also wish that Zatanna could send Chloe back in time:grin3:

Wonderful work all around on July's challenge!

toryjhay
24th July 2009, 16:26
Yet another great groups of stories. I also had a hard time picking the one I liked the best. But I have to say the fourth story totally got me. Great job as always guys!!!

lexie
24th July 2009, 23:10
Just thought I should remind you that even when you make your choice explicit in a post, you mustn´t forget to cast your vote in the poll that you´ll find at the top of the thread. :P

I´m telling you this because I´ve noticed one of you forgot to click your choice in the poll after posting your comment.:D

Kit Merlot
25th July 2009, 00:10
Just thought I should remember you that even when you make your choice explicit in a post, you mustn´t forget to cast your vote in the poll that you´ll find at the top of the thread. :P

I´m telling you this because I´ve noticed one of you forgot to click your choice in the poll after posting your comment.:D

I have to ask this: how can you tell that someone forgot to click a choice in the poll after they left their feedback? Seven people left feedback, but 23 votes have been cast, and the votes are anonymous, so how do you know?

Not trying to cause problems, just wondering;)

lexie
25th July 2009, 00:13
I have to ask this: how can you tell that someone forgot to click a choice in the poll after they left their feedback? Seven people left feedback, but 23 votes have been cast, and the votes are anonymous, so how do you know?

Not trying to cause problems, just wondering;)

By the way, I should have said "remind" and not "remember". This polar cold must have frozen my brain cells! lol

If you happen to have the poll open to see the tally and someone leaves a comment (which sort of suggests which story he/she would choose to vote, or even no choice but a comment telling he/she´s voted) and the tally results are unchanged when the person leaves the thread, you know he/she´s forgotten to cast the vote in the poll.;)

Avalanche
25th July 2009, 05:27
Thanks to all the brave souls that submitted a fic! I had a blast reading them!

hfce
26th July 2009, 04:29
I chose #5. That was pure Chlex for me old school Chlex. :)

micah_luther
26th July 2009, 06:10
Man! All of those stories were amazing! I had to read through them twice before I could make a decision. Even so, amazing job to all the writers.

daria_103
27th July 2009, 23:55
Five great stories all very different but equally brilliant, it took me so long choose which one to vote for, great job to everyone who wrote them.

Julie
29th July 2009, 14:46
Seems like the anonymous poll is working nicely, looks like more people have voted this time around :)

Then comes the question, should the author of the story be able to give their one vote to themselves? Because they technically can now, because the poll is anonymous... Now, I can see who's voted what, but that's because I'm the admin.

IF the author has voted for their own story, should that one vote be removed?

Most probably wouldn't vote for themselves, but some might :)

Ultra
29th July 2009, 18:26
I don't suppose it really matters if the author votes from themselves. Personally, I couldn't do it because I personally would feel I'd cheated the system, but I suppose if you genuinely think your fic is better than everyone elses you could vote for it and it wouldn't really matter. Thats just my opinion :)

Booksketeer
29th July 2009, 20:40
Well, I don't think it shouldn't be allowed, but I'd consider it kinda tacky for someone to vote for their own story, just because the author is bound to be a little biased- that's my opinion. On another note- I think everyone did a great job this time around! I'm really impressed with the quality of the stories submitted, even though there wern't as many submissions as last time. Lovely job, guys!

kimbo
29th July 2009, 21:16
why wouldn't one vote for their own story? that's like running for president and then not voting for yourself. All of the stories are great, but i see nothing wrong with voting for yourself.

westwingwolf
29th July 2009, 21:41
I think the vote should count regardless of whatever the person is thinking when they vote, we don't judge other voters on why they voted for what they voted for so why should we judge an author who voted for their own story.

ChloeLovesLex
29th July 2009, 21:52
While I don't believe I would ever vote for my own fic I certainly don't see a problem with an author voting for their own fiction. Nothing wrong with a little shameless self promotion. ;)

lexie
29th July 2009, 22:28
To make things fairer next time, I think a rule should be included before launching the voting not to allow those who have submitted a story to vote. Since this time nothing was said from the beginning, I believe they should be allowed to vote for whichever fic they wanted or even to abstain themselves altogether if they chose to do so.;)

westwingwolf
30th July 2009, 02:36
To make things fairer next time, I think a rule should be included before launching the voting not to allow those who have submitted a story to vote. Since this time nothing was said from the beginning, I believe they should be allowed to vote for whichever fic they wanted or even to abstain themselves altogether if they chose to do so.;)

Do you mean that next time submitting authors don't vote at all because I don't think that's fair. I like reading the other authors stories and I want to show my support in which fic I thought deserved a vote (even if the author may never know I voted for them.) I don't want to be left out of the voting process just because I also chose to contribute.

So you choose to vote for your own fic, if someone doesn't think that's fair, there are other ways to rig voting by asking friends to vote for your fic, and there is no way to determine what's going through a person's mind when they vote (save for asking and that doesn't guarantee an honest answer), so then we'll never honestly know the fairness of the win, we just have to trust that everyone is voting for the fic they truly believe deserves to win. It's that or do away with the Challenge all together and no one wants that.

The point of the anonymous voting was to encourage people to vote if for whatever reason they didn't want to out their choice and we have to accept that the voters know what they want and accept the outcome. We can't ask people to explain their choices to ensure some sense of honesty because it defeats the purpose of the anonymous vote.

lexie
30th July 2009, 02:57
Do you mean that next time submitting authors don't vote at all because I don't think that's fair.

Well, it was a suggestion. It´s common practice in contests for participants not to be allowed to vote.

I like reading the other authors stories and I want to show my support in which fic I thought deserved a vote (even if the author may never know I voted for them.) I don't want to be left out of the voting process just because I also chose to contribute.

I´d much rather have the right to vote even when participating than not, I agree. Last time I contributed a fic (so have I this second time around) and, even though the vote wasn´t anonymous and I could have very well refrained from casting a vote, I DID vote for the two stories other than mine which I enjoyed.

So you choose to vote for your own fic, if someone doesn't think that's fair, there are other ways to rig voting by asking friends to vote for your fic, and there is no way to determine what's going through a person's mind when they vote (save for asking), so then we'll never honestly know the fairness of the win, we just have to trust that everyone is voting for the fic they truly believe deserves to win. It's that or do away with the Challenge all together and no one wants that.

We all know that there are ways to cheat even in the best- organised event in the world and here we´re just dealing with an amateur just-for-fun contest.So... trust in what others will do is the only thing we have, yes.

The point of the anonymous voting was to encourage people to vote if for whatever reason they didn't want to out their choice and we have to accept that the voters know what they want and accept the outcome. We can't ask people to explain their choices to ensure some sense of honesty because it defeats the purpose of the anonymous vote.

I myself suggested the anonymous voting and the poll, Mindy, so I can´t very well say I´m against it, can I? Because I´m certainly not. I believe it has boosted participation amongst voters.

Who´s said anything about asking anyone to explain their choice? So far those who have voted this time have decided whether to make their choice overt, to just leave feedback on all fics like you did, to abstain or simply to tick their choice on the poll.

Julie
30th July 2009, 13:25
Seems like most find it OK that an author can vote for their own story if they feel like it, so we'll keep it that way - An author CAN vote for their own story if they want to.

Also, authors who have sent in a submission may participate in the voting.

Thanks for a good discussion on the topic you guys! :)

skauble
1st August 2009, 09:46
Thank you so much to everyone who participated in this month's challenge!

To the writers - Awesome stories, guys. The quality is wonderful, yet again.

To the voters - Thanks so much for taking the time to read the entries and cast your vote so that the writers know that people are out there appreciating their hard work.

This month's winner is...

Story number one, written by lexie!!!

Congratulations, lexie; great work! :)

Be sure to check the Fanfiction Battle Arena later today when the next challenge will be announced.

westwingwolf
1st August 2009, 10:14
Congrats lexie! Excellent story!

Julie
1st August 2009, 11:45
Nicely done Lexie! :D

lexie
1st August 2009, 16:50
Thanks for the congrats, Mindy and Julie. It was a really close win and all the entries were very enjoyable.

Considering how close the voting count was between my fic and #5 throughout the process- there were many occassions when the score was a technical tie- the result could have gone either way.

I wonder what would happen if two stories had the same number of votes by the deadline in the future. Would both authors be granted an award? I believe it´d be fair. Wouldn´t it be a good idea to make this an explicit rule as part of the regulations for future challenges? It could be included alongside the decision that was reached concerning the authors´right to vote for their own stories.

I´m really pleased my ideas to include a poll and to grant voters anonymity worked so well. The number of people that cast a vote was almost three times larger!

I´m looking forward to the following challenge and hope more authors and voters join in the fun.

Congratulations to everyone who submitted a fic this time and thanks to all those who helped me win!:blinkkiss

A big cheer to #5´s author, too! Considering the writer´s style, I´d say it must be Kimbo? Or is it Mindy? Or am I completely off the mark?:D

Ultra
1st August 2009, 18:20
IMO, the best fic one. Congrats, lexie :D I was so torn between your story and #5 (also curious to know who wrote that one...) Well done to all the authors, and thanx for five fantastic reads :)

Kit Merlot
1st August 2009, 18:48
Congratulations, Lexie:D

I would also like to thank everyone who voted for my fic, Story #3, In Another Life--I appreciate it:D

And now I need to know who wrote #2, #4 and #5, which were all equally wonderful fics:grin3:

lexie
1st August 2009, 18:55
Congratulations, Lexie:D

Thanks, Kit.;)

I would also like to thank everyone who voted for my fic, Story #3, In Another Life--I appreciate it:D

I really enjoyed your piece and its bittersweetness.

And now I need to know who wrote #2, #4 and #5, which were all equally wonderful fics:grin3:

So do I. Let´s see if they come forward and unveil the mystery soon.:P

Avalanche
1st August 2009, 19:00
Congrats, Lexie! And to Kit and everyone else who submitted a fic...I enjoyed them all and look forward to the next challenge.

kimbo
1st August 2009, 19:11
Congrats Lexie. Good story :) Yes. Five was the one i wrote.

ChloeLovesLex
1st August 2009, 20:37
Congrats Lexie! YAY!

Now I can reveal the other one I could not decide between...#2

Excellent work on all of these. They were all a great read and I really enjoyed them.

westwingwolf
1st August 2009, 22:01
I wrote # 2. I had a feeling lexie wrote number 1 as the Rebecca quote tipped me off, very nice and the changing time, liked that too! And #5 just felt like kimbo for some reason, very old school pre-angst Chlex that I still love so much.

lexie
1st August 2009, 22:18
Thanks for your congrats, Adele. :)

I wrote # 2.

I really enjoyed the way you painted a relaxed and, at times, playful Lex around Chloe.:grin3:

and I had a feeling lexie wrote number 1 as the Rebecca quote tipped me off, very nice and the changing time, liked that too!

So Du Maurier gave me away! Dare I ask why you thought I would quote such a writer? (*ponders*) Is it the fact Rebecca´s a thriller? Or that I´ve got a soft spot for everything British? Or...? OK. I give up.:P

And #5 just felt like kimbo for some reason, very old school pre-angst Chlex that I still love so much.

Yes, I had that very strong feeling too. This shows we do know who´s who on NS.:D

westwingwolf
1st August 2009, 22:30
So Du Maurier gave me away! Dare I ask why you thought I would quote such a writer? (*ponders*) Is it the fact Rebecca´s a thriller? Or that I´ve got a sweet spot for everything British? Or...? OK. I give up.:P

Actually it goes back to when I mentioned in my interview that I watched Rebecca and couldn't stop thinking of Lex & Lana for Maxim & Rebecca, then you mentioned how much you loved the novel and such. While I know there are other writers who might have used the quote just that and the fact that I knew you were still watching Smallville to be able to incorporate "Hex" gave me a pretty strong gut feeling. My brain chooses to remember random things and I don't know that I have until the connection is brought up.

lexie
1st August 2009, 22:44
Actually it goes back to when I mentioned in my interview that I watched Rebecca and couldn't stop thinking of Lex & Lana for Maxim & Rebecca, then you mentioned how much you loved the novel and such.

Oh, yes! Now I remember saying even I started writing a fic inspired on it but that I couldn´t make the second wife into Chloe- at least not as it was painted in the novel because Lana (minus the annoying traits) suited the character a lot better. The story is still lying unfinished in some notebook.

and the fact that I knew you were still watching Smallville to be able to incorporate "Hex" gave me a pretty strong gut feeling.

Torturing myself with it, you mean. Yeah, the show died for me when MR and JG left but I´ve got a moral duty to at least fastforward it on the net because of the three MR forums I co-administrate. It sucks, but I want to have tools to defend my stance against those who are still watching and sometimes choose to berate Lex in absentia- mainly. Besides, out of all the bull I´ve got some interesting ideas to write what should have been.

My brain chooses to remember random things and I don't know that I have until the connection is brought up.

Kudos. I´ve got a great visual memory, but I forgot saying that in my feedback to your interview. Oh, well, I´ll put the blame on my endless ramblings!:D

ETA: By the way, I meant "soft" spot not "sweet"!

malugargula
2nd August 2009, 00:18
Congratulations Guille
:)

lexie
2nd August 2009, 20:32
IMO, the best fic one. Congrats, lexie :D

A belated thank you, Ultra. Sorry I skipped you when I thanked the other girls. I´m looking forward to reading an entry of yours this month.:blinkkiss

Congratulations Guille
:)

Thanks, Malu.Glad that the "Hex" hooked you.:D

hfce
2nd August 2009, 21:18
Congrats Lexie!! So who wrote #4? :D

lexie
3rd August 2009, 01:06
Congrats Lexie!! So who wrote #4? :D

Thank you, Hope. And I agree, I´m curious about #4 too. Will the author come forward and unveil the mystery?:D