PDA

View Full Version : NS Monthly Fanfiction Challenges

Julie
1st June 2009, 09:36
The NS Monthly Fanfiction Challenges

In an effort to encourage new writers to take the plunge into fanfiction and to offer inspiration to our current writers here, we’re beginning a monthly fanfiction challenge!

So if you’ve ever thought of writing fanfiction, but have been to nervous to take the plunge, this is a fantastic way to start. Baby steps to see if you’d like to jump into larger fanfictions. And if you already write fanfictions, this can be a great way to get the creative juices flowing or entice the muses to come out and play.

And remember, that your participation can encourage other people to participate and then will be swimming in a sea of Chlex entertainment!

Every month there will be a new challenge posted and it's simple to participate:

A new theme will be posted on the 1st of every month. Your job will be to take that theme and write a story about it.

Stories are to be anywhere between 800 – 1000 words and have to be Chlex focused.

Once you finish your story, you PM (private message) it to skauble (http://forums.naughty-seduction.net/private.php?do=newpm&u=2648), she's the one handling this.

All stories must be submitted by the 21st of the month*. They will then be posted for voting and a winner will be declared shortly after the voting period is done.

Winners will receive a free one month of the Gold membership subscription (http://forums.naughty-seduction.net/showthread.php?t=6173) and a banner to use in their signature or to post other places such as their Live Journal, Dreamwidth, etc.

So join us in the Fanfiction Battle Arena (http://forums.naughty-seduction.net/forumdisplay.php?f=117) to check out the latest challenge and read the entries form previous competitions.

The official rules are below, but if you have any further questions, don't hesitate to ask! :)

The Rules

1) All entries must be rated no higher than PG-13. No exceptions.

2) All entries must be about the theme provided for the current month.

3) All entries must be Chlex-centric.

4) All entries must be between 800 and 1000 words.

5) All entries must be submitted by the 21st of the month*.

6) All entries must be written in proper English, NoT LikE tHiS.

7) Only one entry per person.

8) Entries are solely for the NS Fanfic Competition and are not to be posted at any other sites, any other forums, or any other boards here at NS.

Questions

Q: Will my username be visible when people are voting?
A: No, your username will only be visible to skauble at first. Should you win the challenge however, your username will be made public. This is done to create a more fair voting process.

The Process

When the challenge and theme is announced, write your story with 800-1000 words, give it a title if you'd like, PM it to skauble (http://forums.naughty-seduction.net/private.php?do=newpm&u=2648) with the subject for the PM being that month's name, and fanfiction challenge. For an example: "Fanfiction Challenge June 2009 entry". Then all you have to do is wait and vote on the other submissions if you'd like! :)

Have fun and good luck!

Big thanks to skauble for helping me set this up, and for writing this introduction :)

* There can be exceptions to this date.

somethingeasy
1st June 2009, 11:39
wow! What an awesome contest. I look forward to checking out the entries. I especially like the clever, brilliant idea of keeping all entries anonymous until the winner is announced. This way all writers stand an equal shot at critical success... even authors who have never posted Chlex before will be on equal footing with authors who are well-reputed in the forum :D VERY clever, Julie and Skauble.

Ultra
1st June 2009, 18:46
This sounds great, and should do wonders for my writers block when it creeps up on me! My only problem will be the word limit, as I generally suck at being succinct, but hey, this will probably help me improve on that so yay! :D

lexie
1st June 2009, 19:14
As I told you on Twitter, Julie, this is a fantastic idea.

I was going to ask you whether the rule of making the fic exclusive to this forum could be broken once the challenge was over and the award had been granted- say two or three months after the event. Now I see you´ve modified the rules since I last saw them.:D

Julie
1st June 2009, 19:32
As I told you on Twitter, Julie, this is a fantastic idea.

I was going to ask you whether the rule of making the fic exclusive to this forum could be broken once the challenge was over and the award had been granted- say two or three months after the event. Now I see you´ve modified the rules since I last saw them.:D

We're thinking of some way to archive the entries once a challenge is finished, so that those who want glory can get some glory ;)

lexie
1st June 2009, 19:51
We're thinking of some way to archive the entries once a challenge is finished, so that those who want glory can get some glory ;)

That´d be nice. Now, what I meant was that authors should be given the chance after a few months to repost their story on their LJ or elsewhere.:grin3:

ChloeLovesLex
1st June 2009, 20:05
Ooo, fun! Can't wait to see the first challenge. Great idea ladies!

lexie
1st June 2009, 20:40
8) Entries are solely for the NS Fanfic Competition and are not to be posted at any other sites, any other forums, or any other boards here at NS.

You´ve modified the thread to include the rule I was referring to in my previous posts. I´ve participated in several challenges on other forums and we were allowed to repost the fics on our LJs and other sites once the event was over and a few months had gone by after the awards were granted.

Wouldn´t you consider reformulating that rule, adding a time limit or something?

Ultra
1st June 2009, 20:55
You´ve modified the thread to include the rule I was referring to in my previous posts. I´ve participated in several challenges on other forums and we were allowed to repost the fics on our LJs and other sites once the event was over and a few months had gone by after the awards were granted.

Wouldn´t you consider reformulating that rule, adding a time limit or something?

Yes, I'm curious about this too. Surely when the competition is over its acceptable for the fics to be posted elsewhere?

Julie
1st June 2009, 21:50
Yes, I'm curious about this too. Surely when the competition is over its acceptable for the fics to be posted elsewhere?

Skauble added it, but I think she meant during the time of the challenge ;)

~*~Tasha~*~
14th September 2009, 04:46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultra View Post
Skauble added it, but I think she meant during the time of the challenge

I just wanted to make sure to get clarification on this. We can't post our challenge response story anywhere during the competition time or voting time. After that is all settled, we regain the rights to our stories again to post them on our own sites if we'd like?

Sincerely,
~*~Tasha~*~

lexie
14th September 2009, 04:50
Once the voting period is over and the winner´s been announced you can post it elsewhere, Tasha.

By the way, there are already three challenges over and the premise for the fourth is already up. You can find all completed challenges in the fanfiction forum (there´s a whole subforum (http://forums.naughty-seduction.net/forumdisplay.php?f=118) devoted to them) and the new topic can be found in the Fanfiction Discussion Forum (http://forums.naughty-seduction.net/showthread.php?t=7218). You have time till the 26th of this month to send your fic to skauble,:)

~*~Tasha~*~
14th September 2009, 05:12
Thanks Lexie. I saw that we were up to the September Challenge, but I wanted to make sure I had that point clarified before I thought of entering. I'm all for understanding that things need to be kept secret until after the voting, but I wasn't too keen on not being able to post my story to my own site later. LOL

lexie
14th September 2009, 05:15
Thanks Lexie. I saw that we were up to the September Challenge, but I wanted to make sure I had that point clarified before I thought of entering. I'm all for understanding that things need to be kept secret until after the voting, but I wasn't too keen on not being able to post my story to my own site later. LOL

No problem. What should be kept secret till the winner´s revealed is mainly who wrote what. You can even say what fic you voted for in the thread after casting your vote if you feel like it, though.