PDA

View Full Version : [Completed] "Mirror" (Companion piece to "From Afar"): PG-13/15

lexie
11th May 2009, 04:44
A/N: This short fic is an accompanying piece to my short one-shot “From Afar” (http://forums.naughty-seduction.net/showthread.php?t=7019)- which I suggest you read before this piece- and it touches briefly on a couple of major events from the current season of Smallville seen from Chloe´s point of view.

SUMMARY: Sometimes looking at yourself in the mirror can reveal things you haven´t expected to see.

SPOILERS: Bride and Stiletto

AUTHOR: Lexie

RATING: PG-13/15

PAIRING: Chlex

“MIRROR”

Ever since her return from Black Creek her life´s been spiralling out of control, to the point that she´s no longer in the driving seat. She´s become this faceless non-entity whose life´s been taken over while she´s on the fringes observing. She can´t remember when she became this complacent, when she lost the will to fight for what she wanted the most, when she compromised and let things happen that she knew would never make her happy. Her life´s no longer hers; her dream career as a reporter is now her cousin´s and so is the young man for whom she´s sold her soul to the devil twice.

This year she´s turned twenty-two and has taken a man´s life for the first time. It doesn´t matter that she´s tried to convince Oliver as much as herself that it was Brainiac the one to commit it; she knows it was her hand the one to end Sebastian´s life and she´s aware of the reason behind her decision. Just like Lex, who killed for the first time at twenty-two when he pulled the trigger and murdered Nixon, she did it to protect Clark.

She loves the farm boy not the way she used to when she was a dreamy teenager, but as a young woman that has looked at darkness in the eye and embraced it because of him- first to hurt him and then to protect him and keep him from getting tainted. There´s innocence and a gullibility in him that makes him dear to her, that enables her to find in him what she now knows she´ll never see in the mirror. Now she understands HIM and his need to preserve and fight for his friendship with Clark. She and Lex are a lot more alike than she´s ever been able to imagine; or maybe she´s been deceiving herself, maybe she´s always known it and that´s the reason she´s fought him because it´s so damn difficult to look at yourself in the mirror.

It´s ironical, really; Lex became her obsession four years ago when he inexplicably shunned her after the trial and she made it her mission in life to bring him down only to end up following in his footsteps. At twenty- two, just like him, she not only took someone´s life for Clark; she married for the first time and divorced just as quickly, even fell under an out-worldly spell that she is now waking out of. She, who used to pride herself on her crusade for truth and justice, is now lying to those closest to her like a true-born Luthor. She, who used to accuse him of using questionable methods and of making morally-questionable choices, has fallen into that grey area that has always been the realm of a Luthor.

Today she´s crossed a line she never thought she´d cross. Today she´s not just decided to aid and abet a serial killer; she´s finally seen blood in her hands and realised Clark will never be able to see her and accept her just as she is. He´ll never understand that sometimes you have to bend the rules and make the hard choices for the greater good. No, Clark will never be able to look at darkness in the face and embrace it or accept it as part of life because he just hasn´t been made that way.

Crimson has smeared her hands and she looks at them trembling. Scalding tears burn in her eyes as it dawns on her she´s alone, that the one person who could understand her, the one man she could turn to is dead, buried somewhere in the Arctic. With a sob she slides down to the pavement in the back alley of The Talon and feels the salty tears roll down her cheeks as she realises she really stopped caring the day she came out of the Brainiac-induced coma, the day Lex met his death in the Fortress of Solitude. It hurts to realise she wasted so much energy in trying to destroy him when she´s always needed him to define her and to feel accepted for whom she really is. He might have been given to lies and secrets but there is one thing she knows for certain, she wouldn´t have had to lie to him the way she is lying to Clark and Lois now.

Chloe wipes the tears away with the heels of her hands and raises her emerald eyes with a puzzled look. She turns her face towards the back door of The Talon, which she has left ajar, expecting to see Davis at the threshold, but no one´s there. Strange; she could have sworn someone was observing her. She stands up on wobbly legs and takes a deep breath and, before she can stop herself, four words are whispered in a raspy voice she barely recognises as her own: Wish you were here.

He replays the video on his laptop on board the jet while he nurses a drink. For the umpteenth time, he zooms in on her face and feels a tightening in his chest. Not everything´s lost.

THE END

Read the sequel: "Lean on Me" (http://forums.naughty-seduction.net/showthread.php?t=7058) (One-shot)

Find a downloadable PDF version on my master list (http://forums.naughty-seduction.net/showthread.php/7631-Lexie-s-Fanfiction-List-W-PDF-%28Feb-27th-2011%29).

autumngold
11th May 2009, 05:18
Please, please don't be the end!! I love that Lex is coming back!! He just has to save Chloe from herself!! I really, really hope you have a sequel planned for this story!! ;)

Thank you so much for giving us Chloe's point-of-view!! It is so sad how, in his own way, Clark has ruined both Lex and Chloe's lives?!! Thank you so much for writing such a great story!!

Fouzia
11th May 2009, 06:41
Thank you for your story!!!
It would be great if Lex come back mut thank you to make mirror!!!!

chlexgirl24
11th May 2009, 06:46
Please post more of this story, its so great!!

itsjustXchar
11th May 2009, 08:35
Oh, they are so close, yet so far! I think you've got me hooked on angst now.

Great job!

hfce
11th May 2009, 15:04
That was great. I hope there is another part to this? :D

lexie
11th May 2009, 21:33
Thanks again to let yourselves be seduced by the angst section. I´m glad I didn´t diappoint and... I certainly don´t rule out a sequel in the future.:D

daria_103
13th May 2009, 19:43
Great companion piece to From Afar, seems like the two of them are making their way back to each other, maybe a little reunion sequel is in the future? :)

Wonderful piece as always.

lexie
14th May 2009, 00:27
Great companion piece to From Afar, seems like the two of them are making their way back to each other, maybe a little reunion sequel is in the future? :)

Their reunion is certainly going to happen. Either in a one-shot or a longer fic- whatever strikes my muse. I´ll only have to wait until this Lexless season´s over :puppydog: and my muse truly reawakens.

Wonderful piece as always.

:hug:

Kit Merlot
14th May 2009, 23:46
I like that you had Chloe being able to sense Lex's watching her--nice:D

lexie
15th May 2009, 05:45
I like that you had Chloe being able to sense Lex's watching her--nice:D

Lex is too intense a man for his presence not to be felt even through the lens of a camera.:D I´m glad you´ve appreciated it, Kit.

purplemoon123
15th May 2009, 23:23
Wow. That was amazing!!

Poor Chloe has been through a horrible year.

She stands up on wobbly legs and takes a deep breath and, before she can stop herself, four words are whispered in a raspy voice she barely recognises as her own: Wish you were here.

Love!!!

dagney
16th May 2009, 13:55
Once again I'm blown away with the poignant expression of emotions you are not only able to identify but write. This piece and Afar are fantastic. Looking forward to more.

Dagney

superag
16th May 2009, 14:26
Really nice descriptions of the murders and how they are affecting her psyche. Good job!

MelBee1985
16th May 2009, 18:19
Hehe Love the parallels between Lex and Chloe... When you think about it, they made her this year less ethical and mre dark (which I hate because they chse THIS year and not last year uggggh) and it culd have opened to a less yet still evil form of Lex, hehe. Poor Chloe.... Had a rough year... I always knew Davis wasn't worth it.. hehe

Nice story. :D

lexie
17th May 2009, 02:07
She stands up on wobbly legs and takes a deep breath and, before she can stop herself, four words are whispered in a raspy voice she barely recognises as her own: Wish you were here.
Love!!!

That and the last lines were my favourite parts, too.:D

Once again I'm blown away with the poignant expression of emotions you are not only able to identify but write.

You´ve made me blush, Sherry. It´s certainly a great compliment to know I´ve been able to move someone with my attempt at giving some sense to what they´ve done with Chloe this season.

Really nice descriptions of the murders and how they are affecting her psyche. Good job!

Thanks, Mary. It was satisfying to be able to show what Chloe was experiencing without having to be gory about it.

Hehe Love the parallels between Lex and Chloe...

I couldn´t help but notice this striking parallelism between both characters´ lives- they lived through similar stuff when they were 22.:P

When you think about it, they made her this year less ethical and mre dark (which I hate because they chse THIS year and not last year uggggh) and it culd have opened to a less yet still evil form of Lex, hehe.

Yeah, dark Chlex would have been a hell of a lot more interesting than what they put on screen. Although seeing what they´ve done with what they got I´m happy they didn´t mess with our dream story line. I´d much rather read it in fanfics than see it slaughtered by SV´s scriptwriters.

Poor Chloe.... Had a rough year... I always knew Davis wasn't worth it.. hehe

Chlavis Fans on these boards will kill us both but I couldn´t agree more.:D

MelBee1985
17th May 2009, 05:21
Chlavis Fans on these boards will kill us both but I couldn´t agree more.:D

Hehe.. I don't want to sound harsh, but I couldn't care less of what Chlavis fans think. It's a Chlex board here. It's the only thing that really matter when it comes to shipping in this website.

If people are allowed here to bash Lois regardless there are people here who like her (I do), well, I'm allowed to bash Davis or Chalvis. And I do.. hehe.

Doesn't mean I'm attacking the people who says them... :D

lexie
17th May 2009, 08:03
Hehe.. I don't want to sound harsh, but I couldn't care less of what Chlavis fans think. It's a Chlex board here. It's the only thing that really matter when it comes to shipping in this website.

To each his own.:grin3: I have a formed opinion on Davis and Chlavis but the diplomat in me tries not to offend the sensibility of those who are such faithful readers of mine and who also happen to ship this new pairing:D

If people are allowed here to bash Lois regardless there are people here who like her (I do), well, I'm allowed to bash Davis or Chalvis. And I do.. hehe.

Oh, I do like Lois as a character and she tends to be the only non-Chlex character I feel comfortable writing! I´ve had a ball penning her scenes in Crossing Paths, Rebuilding and The Countdown.:P

lexie
18th May 2009, 19:03
If you´ve enjoyed this ficlet, you can go ahead and read the sequel I´ve just posted: "Lean on Me" (http://forums.naughty-seduction.net/showthread.php?t=7058)(One-shot)

starmoon
7th June 2009, 05:00
that was amazing and i just loved it. poor chloe she never seem to be happy.

lexie
7th June 2009, 21:37
Yes, I´d so love to see someone (insert bald billionaire´s name here) to really "see" her and make her happy unlike all those other freaks and self-involved young men she´s come across in her life.::/:

Thanks for reading and reviewing. I hope you´ll like the third piece as much.:blinkkiss

malugargula
29th June 2009, 22:03
Amazing sequel
I`m so curious how it`ll end
:)

lexie
30th June 2009, 00:40
Amazing sequel
I`m so curious how it`ll end
:)

I hope the ending won´t disappoint you. I know "Lean on Me" can be considered a beginning of sorts, but I decided to leave it there.;) Well, you´ll see it for yourself.

Ami Rose
5th August 2010, 10:13
That was great! I'm headed over to read Lean on Me now!!!!

lexie
9th August 2010, 01:21
Thanks for reading an reviewing this one. This trilogy helped me give short fics a try once again. I'd always preferred multi-chaptered fics because I felt more comfortable with them- or, at least, I didn't feel mature enough as a writer to go for it.

donhisiewen
26th September 2010, 11:30
Great follow up to From Afar. My favorite parts were when Chloe said "wish you were here" and then the scene where we see Lex zooming in on her face.