PDA

View Full Version : [Completed] From Afar (PG-13/15)

lexie
30th April 2009, 06:24
A/N: I have never felt really comfortable writing one-shots, maybe because of my verbose nature when it comes to writing. However, an idea´s been bugging me since last week and I just felt the urge to put pen to paper.

To my regular readers, I promise there´ll be more multi-chapter stories from me in due time- I´ve got three in the works but my muse has been really stressed out lately.

This short fic is a post-Arctic piece and it touches briefly on a couple of major events from the current season of Smallville seen from Lex´s point of view.

SUMMARY: Sometimes distance can make you feel things closer

SPOILERS: Bride and Stiletto

AUTHOR: Lexie

“FROM AFAR”

From afar things were so much clearer and, at the same time, so much closer. He´d always found that keeping his distance was the best way to shelter himself from pain, heartache and disillusionment. Masks and armours had helped him survive the death and abandonment of those closest and dearest to him. Masks and armours had made him appear strong, resilient and untouchable in a hostile world which had never shown any mercy to Lionel´s first-born. However, that safety net was of no use now for this distance was unlike any he´d known in his twenty-eight years. There was no comfort, no refuge, to be found in being far- not when being far meant having everything so near, when reality could be magnified just by pushing a button.

Months had gone by since that alien ice fortress in the Arctic became his tomb in the eyes of the world. Long painful weeks during which his immune system fought to bring him back to consciousness, excruciating days of physiotherapy and avant-garde surgery to help him walk again. Hundreds of hours he had spent in that hideous orthopaedic bed watching through the artificial eye of a camera as the life that should have been his kept passing by. And the heart which had always found strength in distance broke into a million pieces when witnessing from afar the smile that had once been his addressed to a green boy who would never love her the way he did- without bounds, without bottom, without end, beyond hatred, beyond resentment, beyond pain, beyond the self-imposed distance they´d silently agreed to put between them four years ago... a lifetime ago. There was no balm in distance when he saw the mouth of another graze the lips he craved to taste again, lips that had said the words he had never been able to articulate, words he had yearn to hear addressed to him all of his life.

The boy had come to him and had served his purpose to misdirect the obnoxious cousin. In his juvenile naïveté the kid had believed his impassioned plea had helped save her, when in reality she´d always been safe. He´d for ever keep her safe. The world always expected the worst from Lex - even the petite blonde; and he couldn´t blame her, considering the way he´d treated her the last few years. Where there once was love and trust, he´d planted hate and suspicion. It´d been the hardest decision he´d had to make and it was now making his heart bleed from afar. He´d saved her and, yet, sometimes he hated himself for it, for having brought about such a change in her. He´d seen the glint in her beautiful emerald eyes grow dimmer, the brightness of her luminous smile get cynical and the warmth of her sociable being turn colder. Distance had shaped both him and her; it had turned what used to be common ground into a chasm that he was now experiencing as an abyss from afar.

He saw her get married while immobile in his bed- incapable of barging into that barn he used to frequent in the days of old, when he and Clark were still friends, when all the lies and the misunderstandings didn´t stand in their way. He´d have climbed up those wooden stairs, which he´d sworn never to step on again, just to save her again and to save his soul in the process because he knew the boy would never make her happy just as he was convinced she was the only one who could help him keep little Alexander alive. He´d have opened up to her, stripped his soul bare and put his heart on the line one more time. He´d have told her he´d never stopped loving her. He´d have told her he loved her using the words he´d never been able to utter since the day Lillian passed away. All this he would have done if he weren´t who he was, and if keeping his distance weren´t the only way to keep alive whatever innocence in her the Luthors hadn´t managed to tarnish. There was safety in distance, it was what had kept her alive. And, still, there was no comfort for him in looking from afar.

This morning he walked without the aid of crutches for the first time in months. This morning he watched her once again at a distance and felt guilty at the brief jolt of happiness he experienced when he zoomed in the video taken in the back alley behind The Talon and saw her look at her hands. Crimson tainted the long-fingered hands his body remembered so well, blood that he knew she could have never drawn herself; and he saw her tears and the despair painted on her face as it dawned on her she´d crossed a line she´d never thought herself capable of crossing. And he saw his old self in her at that moment and realised distance was no longer an option. He´d let the hero defeat the Beast while Lex´d be there for her because he understood- he was the only one that could- and he knew that she knew she needed him for neither the farm boy nor the photographer could look at darkness in the eye and accept it the way he did. He was all and everything she had left. And maybe, maybe if God was merciful with him, despite the blood that runs through his veins, she would learn to trust him again.

THE END

Read the sequels: "Mirror" (One-Shot) (http://forums.naughty-seduction.net/showthread.php?t=7041) and "Lean on Me" (http://forums.naughty-seduction.net/showthread.php?t=7058) (One-shot)

Find a downloadable PDF version on my master list (http://forums.naughty-seduction.net/showthread.php/7631-Lexie-s-Fanfiction-List-W-PDF-%28Feb-27th-2011%29).

chlexgirl24
30th April 2009, 06:58
That was great lexie!!!
I loved it!!

ChloeLovesLex
30th April 2009, 07:06
This was good Lexie. I totally know what you mean when you say you just gotta get something out.

Maybe you will revist this and turn it into more chapters, but as a stand alone it is still quite nice.

Thanks for sharing :)

Fouzia
30th April 2009, 07:27
Hi!!!! I really love this story and I hope a update!!!!

Linda
30th April 2009, 08:59
That was good!
Thanks for posting :))

superag
30th April 2009, 14:20
Really good explanation of how and why Lex was watching Chloe marry that other person. Enjoyed the descriptions. Hope that all the longer stories will find their muse soon.

mrmanhoman213
30th April 2009, 15:11
I am new to this forum glad I fuond you guys.
think am going to enjoy it here. The story from Lex´s point of view
is really enjoyable. Not a writer myself but perhaps I will start
To put some ideas on paper may just maybe I cold produce something
Half as good as lexie thanks again lexie

daria_103
1st May 2009, 00:13
Very well written, a better take on Smallville's horrible way of keeping and MR-less Lex in the show!

lexie
1st May 2009, 04:07
I was missing having a new fic up.Thank you all for your lovely feedback, girls. I´m pleased you´ve enjoyed it, despite its not being the kind of stuff I usually write.

As regards what you said, Adele, about the potential of this one as a starting point for a multi-chapter story- I agree. One of the fics I´ve been working on is a post-Arctic piece but with a different spin, and it has Lex present in Season 8. We´ll have to wait and see what my muse comes up with.:P

autumngold
1st May 2009, 04:15
Thank you for writing another Chlex story!! I love the way you were able to give those episodes of Smallville a small Chlex twist!! Great story!! I can't wait to read more of your fabulous work!! Hint, hint!! ;)

lexie
1st May 2009, 08:19
I love the way you were able to give those episodes of Smallville a small Chlex twist!!

The only way I can live with the idea of a Lexless season and improve a Chloe storyline I´m utterly disappointed with is to create my own backstage.

Great story!! I can't wait to read more of your fabulous work!! Hint, hint!! ;)

Thanks for the encouragement. Let´s keep our fingers crossed for my muse to stir back to life soon.:grin3:

MelBee1985
1st May 2009, 17:40
Really good. I always enjoy a backstage story, since Smallville never explains offscreen anyway. :grin3:

It's sad for Lex though. But you know, this could turn into a fic.. *cough*

Just saying :D

lexie
2nd May 2009, 02:06
Really good. I always enjoy a backstage story, since Smallville never explains offscreen anyway. :grin3:

Imagining my own off-screen is the only thing that has kept me happy since MR and JG´s desertion. I just can´t put up with the story lines the show´s writers are coming up with.:grin3:

ChloeLovesLex
2nd May 2009, 03:34
Imagining my own off-screen is the only thing that has kept me happy since MR and JG´s desertion. I just can´t put up with the story lines the show´s writers are coming up with.:grin3:

Can I get an amen???

*shrug*

Amen.

purplemoon123
2nd May 2009, 04:42
That was amazing!!

Loved how you used that scene from Stiletto.

lexie
2nd May 2009, 07:20
That was amazing!!

Loved how you used that scene from Stiletto.

I´m glad you liked my twist to that story line. Actually, it was that particular scene what prompted me to write this one-shot.:grin3:

hfce
4th May 2009, 06:25
I never read in the angst section but I glad I did this time. It was really good. :)

toryjhay
4th May 2009, 08:06
well, that was some amazing angst!!!! that just broke my heart. lex watching from afar, so heartbreaking!!!! i can't help but root for him to come out of his hiding and console chloe. he was just so spot on, no one else could understand what chloe was going through, not clark and definitely not jimmy. just...wow. great work as always!!!!

lexie
4th May 2009, 19:36
Thanks, Hope, for daring to have a peek at this section; I´m glad you weren´t disappointed or run away.:D

I appreciate your warm words a lot, Ally. And yes, there´s no one left on the show who could understand her better than Lex.

Nimmie
4th May 2009, 22:58
Thank you lexie! this was so good and sooo sad:( I loved it :)

Cheers
N

Kit Merlot
5th May 2009, 02:18
I do like the idea of Lex watching Chloe from afar--it's romantic but also a bit obsessive--just like Lex:D

Good job!

lexie
5th May 2009, 05:37
Thank you for reading and reviewing, Nimmie. I´m happy you liked it.:)

I do like the idea of Lex watching Chloe from afar--it's romantic but also a bit obsessive--just like Lex:D

Good job!

Yes, it´s so Lex, isn´t it? As usual SV´s left that story line hanging- or will they explain anything in the Season Finale? Somehow, I doubt it. What was the deal with Lex watching Chloe´s wedding from afar? He had to be really interested in her. I don´t give a damn if they make it all about Davis in the end- in my mind it´ll remain tied with Lex and Chloe, and Stiletto simply provided me with further ammunition.

Thanks for reading, despite my posting it in the angst section.:P

chlexous_punk
6th May 2009, 06:30
very well written indeed.That was really great Lexie!

lexie
6th May 2009, 20:01
Thanks for your praise, darling. I truly appreciate your leaving me feedback.:grin3:

itsjustXchar
11th May 2009, 08:33
Great story, it was very intriguing! Now i'm off to read "Mirror" =D

lexie
12th May 2009, 17:18
I´m pleased you´ve dared access this section to read this ficlet and that it didn´t disappoint.

To those of you who have read this one-shot, I remind you the sequel´s already up: "Mirror" (http://forums.naughty-seduction.net/showthread.php?t=7041) :blinkkiss

Booksketeer
24th June 2009, 18:52
Oooh, I loved this little ficlet! Sweet and scary. Loved the way you included the scene where Chloe stares at her blood covered hands-and Lex's take on it. Wonderful!

lexie
24th June 2009, 19:16
Oooh, I loved this little ficlet! Sweet and scary. Loved the way you included the scene where Chloe stares at her blood covered hands-and Lex's take on it. Wonderful!

I´m glad you dared take a peek into this section that usually scares people away. :D I´m happy you enjoyed the way I gave it a Lexy/Chlexy spin and hope you´ll enjoy its sequels "Mirror" and "Lean on Me" as much.:blinkkiss

malugargula
29th June 2009, 21:57
Wonderful fic
Man, this is what should have happened in Smallville
I`ll read Mirror now
:)

lexie
30th June 2009, 00:38
I´m glad Alice took her first nap and let you catch up with your reading.:D

Wonderful fic
Man, this is what should have happened in Smallville

I couldn´t agree more. That´s why I needed to write it. I hope you´ll enjoy Mirror as much.

Ami Rose
5th August 2010, 10:02
Wow! That was awesome!

lexie
10th August 2010, 03:42
Thanks for reading and taking the time to leave your impression on this ficlet. I'm glad you enjoyed the sequels as much.

donhisiewen
26th September 2010, 11:23
I think I've read this five times already but I always forget to leave a comment. *hangs head in shame*

Anyway, this is really beautiful. It's sad and heartbreaking to see Lex like that, especially being someone so proud and strong. I really love how you set up the atmosphere and how you describe the emotions and their actions of the characters. They actually say so much more than the dialogue.

lexie
26th September 2010, 18:26
I think I've read this five times already but I always forget to leave a comment. *hangs head in shame*

Oh, shame on you! ROTFL Glad you enjoyed it so much to re-read it multiple times and, of course, thanks for remembering to leave feedback this once.

Anyway, this is really beautiful. It's sad and heartbreaking to see Lex like that, especially being someone so proud and strong. I really love how you set up the atmosphere and how you describe the emotions and their actions of the characters. They actually say so much more than the dialogue.

I'm of the mind that an image or even a gesture can say more than a thousand words. so I'm pleased to know you felt this ficlet accomplished that.

LexGirl
15th November 2010, 07:24
That is really, really good, Lexie! I can't believe I've missed this one, but it is really good! :) I loved it! :)