PDA

View Full Version : [Completed] White Coffin (rating: pg)

basmas84
22nd April 2009, 22:58
White Coffin
Fandom: Smallville
Author: vodooman / boredlittlestudent
Rating: PG
Genre: Angst, Hurt, Comfort
Characters/Pairings: Chloe, Lois, Lex, Chlex implied.
Short summary: As she stood in the cold, she noticed that a warm hand was gripping hers.
Any warnings: depressive, character death… (no, not Chloe this time…)
Disclaimer: Smallville not mine… I only write ff…
A/N: Please note that this very short fic was prompted by a picture… below…

http://i524.photobucket.com/albums/cc327/basmas84/pic%20and%20story/chlex-funneral.jpg

As she stood in the cold, she noticed that a warm hand was gripping hers. Snow was falling, and she felt snow flakes fall and rest on her nose and hair. She didn’t blink when they fell on her face, and in her eye.

The cold of the winter was welcomed. It mirrored how she felt inside. She was numb and knew that nothing would ever be the same for her. She was alone now.

As she watched the men lower the small white casket down, she had to grip the hand with all her might, knowing if she let go now, she would only try to fling herself at the casket, demand that she would be buried with him. That she was his mother and that there was no way that she would leave her baby alone in the dark.

“He’s afraid of the dark!” she whispered.

Lois standing next to her hugged her shoulders awkwardly, knowing that nothing she would do would really help her. Instead she pulled Chloe’s hand and tried to finally get her to come with her. They had been standing here for the last two hours.

Two hours, with Chloe keeping guard over the white little casket, like she was waiting for her son to awake and throw open the lid… Two hours with Chloe refusing to let the casket be let down. Two hours with all the others having already long gone.

Lois watched her baby cousin as she turned slowly with her. All the while she couldn’t help but pity the once strong woman. And all the while her hate for the bastard that her Chloe had been married to grew, grew with the knowledge that he couldn’t even be bothered to come to his only child’s funeral.

They were heading to Lois car when Chloe suddenly stopped and turned around. She was looking around, like she was searching for someone. Lois felt another wave of agony for her cousin, wanted to tell her that what ever she imagined to have heard or seen wasn’t real. But instead only silently kept a tight hold on her hand.

“Come on Chloe, let’s get you home!” she said after a moment with another wave of pain and heartfelt sorrow for her cousin.

“I thought I saw him!” whispered Chloe, still looking around.

“He’s dead Chloe… We should really go home!” she repeated. Lois resisted the panicked urge to grip her by the shoulders and shake her. Shake her just because she couldn’t take it anymore. Her baby nephew had been just there a few minutes ago, and now he wasn’t. He had been playing, asking her when his daddy was arriving home, kissing his mommy on the cheek, and now he was laying still inside of a coffin. Would be buried under earth, and never see the sun light again. Never play in the opened air again. Never call her ‘aunty Lois’.

She tugged on Chloe’s hand again, and this time without much resistance from her cousin, she followed.

As they finally reached the car, Lois started cursing Lex Luthor for being just like his father, and for leaving his family behind. She hated him, and she was more than happy to make sure that he would never come within a mile radius of Chloe. She swore on her dead nephew’s grave that she would never again let Lex near Chloe again, never let him see her again.

What she didn’t know was that her self-made oath didn’t mean anything. Not to Lex or to Chloe. She wouldn’t know until some time later that Lex had been always there within reach watching over Chloe, waiting his time. And that in an act of desperation, Lex would try to resurrect his dead son, and try to continue the fairy tale family life he had always pictured he was having with Chloe.

No, Lois never did see Lex stand there hidden behind a tree and other grave stones. Never did know that he too had been standing there for two hours, or that he would continue to stand there for another six. Blaming himself, blaming everything around him. Hating everything and everyone but Chloe.

He too had watched the men lower the white coffin to the ground and beyond. Taking a part of his heart with him.

lexie
22nd April 2009, 23:14
This was a fantastic piece, basmas. Heart-wrenchingly beautiful and so Chlex. I knew he´d be there in the shadows and that he´d put the blame on himself. The fact that he´s considering cloning their baby is disturbing but so very Lex.

Congrats!:blinkkiss

basmas84
22nd April 2009, 23:18
I think if he actually cloned his brother... he wouldn't think twice about cloning his son... just to have him back...

I am actually very proud of how this turned out... I was considering just ending it with them going to the car and driving off... but then I was thinking... noooooo! it is much better if chloe actually felt someone watching them...
and what lois didnt know was that chloe wasnt refering to her son when she said she saw him! ... tumtum dom tum!

superag
23rd April 2009, 00:32
Really, really good. Too bad you don't want to continue it, but it is wonderful as a stand alone moment as well. Thanks for sharing

basmas84
23rd April 2009, 02:59
hehehe... happy that you like it! i love the haunted lex and sad ending fics that seem just perfect for this pairing!
I know taht some would want this to be longer... but I really have little time for time consuning fics... I've got like 5 major big fics that need update... desperatly! and then a new job, that i usually come home from very late... lol...
but I'll keep in mind to try and write a little longer short fic...

autumngold
23rd April 2009, 04:13
Poor Chloe and poor Lex!! I can't imagine anything worse than losing your child!! I really wish that Lex would have been there with Chloe, instead of Lois, but I can understand why he wouldn't want anyone to see his pain!! Great story, but so sad!!

basmas84
23rd April 2009, 20:27
I'm not sure that lex could have been there for chloe... if he blamed himself and all other peole... he might have thought that chloe would blame him too...
lois certainly did blame him to a degree too... so you can imagine that it wasnt a very easy chioce for lex... of what or what not to do!

ChloeLovesLex
23rd April 2009, 21:00
Am I sicko if I completely loved this?
Excellent work.

basmas84
23rd April 2009, 21:02
nooooooooo because then I'd be a sicko for writing this... and others would be one for reading this... lol!
thanx... happy you enjoyed reading it!

Ami Rose
7th January 2014, 17:31
Beautifully written and so sad!