PDA

View Full Version : [Completed] Never Meant to Be - A Christmas Ficlet (PG) 12/22/08

superag
6th December 2008, 15:58
Title: Never Meant to Be - A Christmas Ficlet
Author: Superag
Rating: PG
Summary: A ficlet. A year has gone by for our little Chlex couple. How they celebrate their second Christmas as a couple. Sequel to Gift Exchange and Ring in the New
Disclaimer: I do not own Smallville, the CW, any of the characters ever created for Superman, etc. This is for personal entertainment only.

A/N - Christmas ficlet. Probably 3 parts like the ones last year. Italics is flashback. Thanks for feedback!

Chapter 1 – Getting Things Ready

Chloe and Lana walked into the small dorm room they shared at the university. Both threw their respective bags on the beds and plopped next to them as Clark followed Lana into the room.

“That biology test sucked. I was pretty sure that the professor is hoping to see all our faces again next year,” Lana sighed as she looked over in Clark’s direction and flashed a smile.

“No, they’ll be a major curve. The ‘grade my professors’ site said that his F’s magically turn into B’s. Something about tenure and his lack of interest in the students that only take the class to get out of freshmen classes.” Chloe leaned back in the pillows and looked over at her two friends that had stayed very much the item even though Lana moved to Metropolis University with Chloe and Clark remained in Smallville.

The last year had been almost surreal for the two couples. No one expected for Clark and Lana to end whatever was going on between them. They weren’t exactly a couple but they weren’t strangers. Lana dated other guys but quickly dropped them; Clark just pined in the wings until Lana came back. It was the same story as every other year that Chloe could remember.

Her life, however, was a little different. She and Lex were still very much a couple and took the whole strange relationship into the public’s eye as soon as high school was over. Lex had moved from Smallville and now permanently lived in the penthouse a few blocks from Luthorcorp. Chloe’s dad had been moved to the Metropolis location as well, something she knew Lex had done for her but would never admit it to her.

Chloe leaned back in the pillows and closed her eyes, realizing she had a good few hours to catch up on missed sleep before Lex picked her up. He had offered months before to get her and Lana an apartment, but they enjoyed the dorm life. With the screaming in the hall right outside, Chloe giggled at how much she wondered that apartment offer was still open.

Lana giggled and went to open the door just as one of the other girls in the hall went by holding a pair of underwear. Yelling back, she laughed, “Write your name on a pair of underwear. The fraternity boys are downstairs undressed down to their underwear’s singing carols.”

“But it’s ten degrees!” Chloe laughed as she looked out the window and caught the tail end, literally, of one of the obvious first year pledges in their altogether and singing as several others dressed in warm Santa outfits playfully whipping the ‘reindeer.’

Chloe grabbed a pair of her cotton panties and took a sharpie to it. Clark watched as his own girlfriend followed suit. “What would Lex think? Lana?!”

“Lex needs to relax if one of those obvious whipping boys decide to even try to call the fake numbers we’re writing down,” Chloe tried to calm Clark’s nerves as her and Lana took off down the hall. Walking out on the porch of the little dorm complex, they laughed with the rest of the girls as the group of about 40 young men froze as they sang another three carols before disappearing to another dorm.

“That was insane,” Lana laughed as she tried to catch her breath. “I guess that would be our official signal that Christmas break has started. Are you sure you’re going to be ok hanging out here until the dorms close. I know Lex offered for you to stay at the penthouse until he got back day after tomorrow. I’m sure they would let you in.”

Chloe opened the door to the dorm and saw Clark trying to ignore the show going on right outside the window while he read the obvious women’s magazine upside down. “Nice Clark. New talent? Anyway, I have a few things to take care of here anyway. And it’ll be nice once everyone empties out, it’ll be quiet and I can get some things done. Dad only lives one the other side of town. It’s not like I’m alone.”

Clark nodded as he threw down the magazine that supposedly told women what men really wanted. He wondered if Lana and Chloe actually tried any of the suggestions in it. “So, Chloe you want to join us tonight for dinner? Mom and dad are out shopping and we’re eating before we get back on the road to the farm.”

Chloe started filing away old books and folders from the semester that just finished up. She had somehow managed to maintain a grade point that would keep her small but personally important scholarship with the journalism department and her relationship with Lex.

The first couple months after announcing their relationship, Chloe was hounded wherever she walked. She finally agreed to a bodyguard until the paparazzi lost interest in the couple that seemed to never have a coarse word in public or risqué moment.

When Chloe started college, she noticed the strange looks from some students wondering what exact merits had gotten her into the school and the scholarship. Several even suggested that the money had to be Luthor backed, but Chloe took it in stride. She worked harder and proved all the critics wrong.

Personally, she still wore her promise ring from Lex. It was like a mark of his territory that she treasured. It was odd to feel like she did; if it had been any other person, including Clark with his football jacket, she would have refused. She loved Lex. That had happened only a month earlier at Thanksgiving.

Chloe sat on the bed and flipped through some notes as Lana had Clark pack some of her menial items together.

“Chloe, it’ll be fine. Just let me look at it.” Chloe peeked through the front of the oven and shook her head at the odd smell and puff of smoke that came from the oven when she cracked the door open. The smoke was at least still white, so she knew it wasn’t completely gone. Lex bumped her in the hip, pushing her to the side as he surveyed the damage before letting the smoke billow into her kitchen.

“It’s just a little dark,” he commented as he picked up the injection kit and shot the poor dried up bird with more juice form the bottom of the pan. “Just let it cool before we crack it.” Lex closed the door and turned the oven off before noticing Chloe.

Sitting in front of the rest of the dinner that she thought had been going so well for her first Thanksgiving, she sighed. “It’s all cold.”

Lex leaned down and wrapped his arms around her shoulders and kissed her on the cheek. “Most of the side dishes for Thanksgiving are traditionally. Don’t worry about it.” Chloe leaned her head to the side and begged for the kiss on the cheek that came next.

Lex let go and proceeded to help her finish up in the kitchen as she tried to get up the courage to serve the first Thanksgiving she made to her father. Lex was enduring but she felt bad for dad. He hadn’t had anyone cook for him on the holiday since her mom had taken off.

Chloe watched as Lex moved about the kitchen as if he glided. It was wondrous. “I love you,” she whispered as she held the bowl for the gravy, which caused Lex to almost drop the container he was pouring from.

Putting the bowl down, he leaned her back against the kitchen counter and tipped her head back where he could see her eyes. His body warmed to the words that he thought she had said, but he wanted to be sure. “Say it again,” he partially questioned.

“I love you Lex Luthor.” Chloe spoke firmly and smiled at the end of the statement that she had been wanting to say for awhile but never could find the perfect time, as if over gravy drippings was the right time. Lex nodded his head and Chloe watched the small smile break on his face.

“I love you too,” he whispered in her ear as her head leaned further back. Pulling her head back up slightly, he pressed his lips to hers and felt her shudder as they deepened the kiss.

“Chloe,” Gabe interrupted as he tried to delicately break up what seemed to be a relationship that was not nearly going away. “Your hair honey.”

Lex looked over her shoulder and quickly pulled her up where the back of her hair was now conditioned with the drippings in the bowl. Chloe shook her head and rolled her eyes, leaving the two gentlemen in the kitchen alone.

“Guess I get to finish the dinner after all. Come on, give me a hand.”

Chloe felt of her hair and remembered that the day after Thanksgiving when everyone else was trying to save a buck here and there, she was sitting in Metropolis’ swankiest salon courtesy of her own boyfriend’s guilt.

“Chloe?”

Coming back to earth, Chloe glanced up in Clark’s direction. “Oh, no. I’m meeting dad for dinner tonight before he heads to Edge City for a meeting the next couple of days.” She smiled at the couple as Clark picked up most of Lana’s bags and started out the door. Getting up off the bed, she hugged Lana and wished her well before locking the door behind her.

A few hours later, Chloe returned from dinner with her father and sat down at her desk and opened up her email. She felt partly bad about basically ignoring Lex for the past three weeks, but he understood. She giggled realizing that late night history exam study session didn’t exactly go the way it was supposed to when Lana walked in on the two of them in the middle of an obvious, and very naked, study break. Since, Lex stayed away from the dorm.

Pulling up the email, she almost giggled out loud at the email that simply stated at the top, “Only a few more days until we leave.” She smiled knowing he wouldn’t tell where they were going. She continued reading the email and shook her head when in between boring explanations of work, he sprinkled in other details of their trip. Reading the last line, her eyes grew. “Have you picked out your warmest coat?”

Chloe was beside herself with the little hints that Lex dropped in her emails. From the daily little writings, she had found out it was going to be cold, foreign, and not necessarily friendly all the time. Somehow, though, Lex assured her that she would enjoy it and have a fascinating time writing about it upon their return.

Chloe wandered around her dorm room trying to frantically stuff the last bit of her luggage together. Lex still gave her no indication of their romantic getaway for the holidays; she was just impressed her father was letting her go alone with Lex.

“Where’s the damn boots,” she cussed as she looked under the bed and then stopped. A wave of nausea rolled over her as she became dizzy and seemed to be grabbing for the wall. Covering her mouth, she shoved the bathroom door open and leaned her head over the toilet and vomited.

Leaning back against the wall, she felt suddenly warm and realized that she had been running on adrenalin and didn’t realize that she had the most horrid headache. Grabbing a washcloth, she propped herself up on her knees and ran it through cold water. She wasn’t going to be sick, she repeated to herself as she leaned between the toilet and the vanity.

Chloe balanced her now throbbing head on the corner of the small vanity as she waited to see if she would need the toilet again. Going through the list of possibilities, she axed pregnancy first because she had just finished her cycle. Going through the rest of her symptoms, she slipped deeper into the floor.

“Drugs, lots of drugs,” she told her herself as she strained to pull herself up. How does it come on so fast, she thought. Diseases suck was her last thought before falling to the floor in a sweat.

“Chloe? One of the girls let me up when you didn’t pick up. I figured we could get some…” Lex stopped as he pushed the door to the bathroom open and saw Chloe lying on the bathroom floor.

Grabbing the washcloth from her limp hand, he felt of her as he rinsed the cloth out again. “Honey?” Lex whispered as he slid down and sat on the floor next to her, pulling her body into his.

Chloe grabbed the washcloth from Lex as he gently ran his hand along her face and pushed back the sweaty hair from her eyes. “I think we’re staying home,” he whispered. Chloe’s face drew into a myriad of emotions that ended in disappointment before lunging for the toilet again.

TBC

Kit Merlot
6th December 2008, 16:35
This is an awesome beginning!

I guess the Chlex Christmas plans well involve Chloe trying not to get sick all over the place--poor thing:P

Can't wait to see what happens next.

lexie
6th December 2008, 19:29
What a lousy way to be robbed of a surprise Christmas destination for two! ::/:Still, I think having Lex all to you to nurse you back isn´t a bad thing, is it? :D The first thing that I thought of was an unplanned ¨pregnancy¨, but then you burst that bubble with Chloe´s own thoughts on the impossibility of that at that time of the month. Oh, well, I hope it´s nothing serious!:eek:

I´m looking forward to reading the second instalment.:blinkkiss

superag
12th December 2008, 06:42
Chapter 2 – Grounded

Lex sat in the small chair outside the waiting room of the doctor’s office that her father had insisted him take her to. Lex had offered his services but let Gabe make the last decision. She was still his daughter. Hitting several buttons on his phone, Lex carefully cancelled plans for their trip. No way would Chloe fly by tomorrow.

Chloe laid uncomfortably on the examining table, her head still pounding regardless of the overly powerful drugs that Lex had given her. He said don’t ask what it was, but it still didn’t do the job. She barely opened her eyes to the door that opened. “Well?” she groaned as the doctor sat on the stool in front of her.

“You have what we affectionately call the crud. Lots of rest, lots of fluids, and no Christmas parties.”

Chloe tried to sit up and rolled her eyes, “Can’t you just give me something to make it go away?”

“Not this. But give it about five days and you’ll be fine.” Chloe groaned. She hated her doctor for numerous reasons, but mainly because it was one of her dad’s old college friends. The thought that her dad’s old frat buddy looking at her partially naked and it not bothering her dad made her cringe.

Chloe slid off the table and trudged down the hall, pushing her entire weight against the enormous door into the waiting room. Lex looked up and caught her as her weight slid of the door and into his arms. “I’m sick.”

Lex let out a small chuckle as he wrapped her up in her coat and pulled her closer to him. Pulling open the door of the office, he put his arm around her. “No kidding.” Chloe looked up at her boyfriend and groaned as he put her in the car.

She couldn’t believe her luck. Two Christmases ruined. Her father had already left for her aunt’s place, trusting Lex would take care of his little girl on their first vacation alone. Now, she was to be the burden. “Just take me to dad’s. I’ll just rest.”

“Nonsense. You’re going back to the penthouse with me.” He reached over and took her clammy hand in his. “I am sure we can salvage something out of the holiday.”

Chloe leaned her head against the window of the car door. “But your help has all taken leave already. You could probably schedule some meetings or something.”

Lex felt sorry for her. She had been looking forward to the trip to where she didn’t know for weeks. He ran his hand down the side of her face and noticed that her fever was starting to return despite the medication. “So. I don’t always have to have people waiting on me. Besides, I think this calls for the personal touch.”

“I don’t want to get you sick.” Chloe gurgled through her moans of pain that were returning.

“I don’t get sick honey,” Lex traced his fingers down her face as she closed her eyes.

Chloe sat in the passenger seat in the parking garage underneath Lex’s apartment complex. She felt nauseated again from the drive. Lex moved around to the side of the car and opened the door. Pulling her seatbelt back, he knelt down beside her. “Turn and put your arms around me.”

“I can walk, just give me a minute.” Chloe turned her head in the seat and stared at the smirk that Lex gave her. He knew that she couldn’t possibly move from the car to the elevator.

Chloe succumbed and laid her head on his shoulder. His cologne smelled so warm and agreeing up against her. She let her arms and legs wrap around his body as the doorman opened the elevator access and rode up with his boss to open the penthouse door. Lex thanked him as he closed the door for him. Lex walked across the living room with her.

Chloe had her eyes open just barely. “The guest room is fine.”

Lex gently lowered her to the bed and smiled down at her. “Honey, I think we’ve spent more than enough evenings in this bedroom to not put your sick delicate body on the harder mattress.”

Chloe smiled and whispered, “I love you.”

Lex just shook his head at her as he pulled off her coat and shoes, laying them neatly by the foot of the bed. Chloe rolled slightly to help Lex get her under the covers. “Are you comfortable?”

He simply heard her respond with a small moan as her head disappeared under the covers. Disappearing into the bathroom, he reappeared and saw her face all contorted. “Headache,” she whimpered.

Placing the washcloth he knew she would already need on her head, he smiled. “I’ve got Charles running out for some medication that will make that go away, but you have to wait until you can eat to take it.” He watched Chloe’s face give him a disappointing glare. “Otherwise it’ll be at the bottom of a toilet honey. Just try to rest.”

Chloe buried herself in the covers, trying to understand why the most expensive sheets possible could possibly make someone ache. Closing her eyes, she fell asleep.

Lex stretched out on the couch in the living room and sighed. Things had been perfectly planned except for two things he couldn’t control, weather and illness. He knew that she was upset with herself but it wasn’t her fault. He had suggested she take it easier during finals and actually eat something during study breaks. Chloe had opted for the coffee diet and let herself run down.

Lex busied himself with work related tasks that he had previously left at his office. Their vacation was going to be a first for him; he was going to try to go without work for a few days and enjoy the scenery in a place he had never really seen when he went for work. He didn’t know if it would be possible for him.

He looked at the clock and realized that Chloe had been asleep for almost five hours. Hearing her phone ring, he searched her bag that seemed to be endless before finding it. He wondered how the two of them ever made anything work since how the two were so different. “Hello Gabe,” he answered looking at the incoming list.

“So how is she really?”

“Warm and sleeping. The flu bug caught up with her when she stopped running on adrenaline.”

“Sounds like her. Is everything there ok or do you need me to come back?” Gabe sounded concerned but it was nothing that he could do anything about. He knew Lex had been there for her for the last year, and he trusted him.

“I think we’ve got it. Just lots of rest and Tylenol. She’ll be herself when you get back. Have a good holiday and I’ll make sure she does.”

Gabe answered with a few more pleasantries before hanging up and Lex set the phone down. Looking over at the room Chloe slept in, he figured he would make due for her. He went into the kitchen and started moving about defrosting chicken and boiling water.

Chloe stirred in the bed and stretched, feeling the headache that she had before come back slightly as she heard her neck crack. Pulling back the sheets, she saw herself in the full mirror across the room and moaned. She didn’t want to be seen this way. She felt woefully unattractive.

She felt her stomach rumble and pulled herself out of the bed. Trudging across the bedroom, she leaned against the door frame and eyed Lex in the kitchen. She felt herself try to stifle a giggle as the man that seemed to run the world had his sleeves rolled up to his elbows and was tasting something on the stove. His back to her, she sneaked over and grabbed her phone, setting the camera mode and snapping a picture as he turned around.

“Good evening sleepy. You feeling better?” Lex cut through the bread on the counter and looked back up at Chloe as she slid her phone back in her purse.

She sat down at the bar area and watched as Lex had obviously been working on what he was doing for awhile. “A little, but I don’t think I’ll be quite ready for whatever you are making,” she commented looking at the piles of food. “What are you making I’m assuming for dinner?”

Lex turned and put the knife down, looking at her strangely. “Chicken soup with rice,” he uttered without a second glance and went back to chopping fresh shallots.

“You can get it in a can for a lot less.”

“Yes, and you can go without tasting anything since it’s mixed with preservatives and packaged months ahead. No thank you.” He scraped the last of the vegetables back into the pot and held a spoon of the liquid up for Chloe.

He watched her lips and tried to keep himself in check as her mouth wrapped around the spoon of warm liquid and her eyes closed. She made a soft moaning sound as she pulled the spoon from her lips and swallowed slowly. Rolling his eyes, he took the spoon from her, “Tease. And I better not find that picture of me cooking in any magazine or paper, domestic or business.”

“No, I thought maybe sending it to Martha Stewart and she could have a billionaires and their kitchens segment.” Chloe watched as Lex’s glare intensified and knew to drop it. “No, just for me then.”

“You are feeling better then. It’ll be a few minutes; go relax and I’ll come get you.” Chloe slid off the chair and smiled before disappearing into the bedroom to shower. She wasn’t going to sit down at dinner looking like she did.

Lex watched as Chloe sat and relished each spoonful. Feeling quite pleased with himself, he wasn’t about to tell her that he had one of his servants bring the ingredients to their best chicken soup over and tell him exactly what to do. Not that he couldn’t cook, but soup was never quite the meal to turn on a woman.

Sitting back in the chair, Chloe licked her lips once more and sat timidly. She waited for the wave of nausea to overtake her, but it never came. “That’s good. The nausea is gone. Maybe we can still make it out of town.”

Lex nodded as he cleaned the table. Chloe just gasped at the man doing what she would consider housework. Wanting to reach for her camera, she resisted hoping that as long as she and Lex remained together, he would continue showing that at least part of him was human.

“No can do. You are not going anywhere until the doctor clears you.” Lex came over and wrapped his arms around her neck as she slid into the corner of the couch. Kissing her on the side of the cheek, she turned and gazed into his eyes.

“What?” Lex looked beside himself and worried. “What?”

“You still have a fever honey.”

“But I feel better. Come on.” Chloe tried to beg but knew that Lex would have no part of it. He was only interested in getting her better. She liked him as a nurse. He didn’t lay on the orders to bed and to sleep like her father did and didn’t cram pills down her throat like the quack shack at the school.

She looked over as Lex sat next to her on the couch and sighed, pulling the computer up to check the overseas markets. There were some aspects of the man that would never change, but she would get used to it in order to stay with him. He was trying though. The dinner proved that. She looked past him and glanced all over the apartment and sighed.

“What’s wrong?” Lex leaned over and put the computer back on the side table as he put his other arm around Chloe’s neck. She looked upset and he wondered what he had done wrong. “Are you feeling ok? Was dinner ok?”

Chloe smiled halfway up at him, trying to not let on her disappointment. Lex followed her eyes and looked around the apartment too. Not seeing exactly what was the matter, he gave her a questioning look. Looking back at him, she sighed again. “It’s just Christmas Eve tomorrow and I already ruined the holiday for us. We can’t seem to get a break. I mean Halloween you were out of town. The Smallville fireworks display was rained out when we went. And don’t even get me started about that waiter dropping dessert in my lap. And now this. I just feel like I’m at home sick. I don’t even feel Christmas.”

Lex took in the multitude of bad holiday experiences they had since the Chinese New Year. They had awful luck and he truly wondered if they were cursed to not be together. Glancing around the penthouse, he realized what she talked about. “But we weren’t going to be here.”

“I know,” Chloe groaned as she pushed herself up off the couch. “I’m just going to go to bed. You coming?”

“Soon,” he answered as her hand slid out of his. He watched her walk away, almost in a sulk and suddenly felt he had let her down. Listening to the water in the bathroom stop running and seeing the light under the door go off, he picked up the phone.

Chloe turned over and felt her body cling slightly to skin next to her. Opening her eyes, she watched clock flip over to 9 AM. Her eyes grew as she thought that Lex would be late for work and he never overslept but stopped, remembering it was Christmas Eve. And she was sick.

One eye opened as Lex’s head turned in her direction. “Good morning,” he groaned still half asleep before stretching around her.

“Morning,” she whispered back, feeling his leg move in between hers. It had been something that she got used to, feeling his naked body next to her when they spent the night together. “Feel me.”

Lex’s lip twitched at the very open ended comment before Chloe quickly corrected him. “My head. Do I have a fever?”

Lex felt of her head and nodded, “Not now, but you may want to wait before getting too active. You usually won’t spike until you get up and move around.” Chloe rolled her eyes; he was irritating knowing so much useless information.

“I’m hungry. At least my appetite is back.”

“Eggs sound ok for your stomach?”

Chloe sat up in the bed and watched as her movement pulled the sheet further down his chest revealing the small toned dip right above his groin. She loved him, every inch of him for different reasons. “Yeah. I’m going to go get some OJ. Want some?”

Lex didn’t answer and just put his arms behind his head as she slid out of bed and opened the door to the living room.

Chloe gaped at the room with her body unable to move. With her hand on the doorknob, she glanced in Lex’s direction with a childish smile on her face.

TBC

westwingwolf
12th December 2008, 08:40
Why do I get the feeling someone's college experience snuck into this story? Lot of naked frat boys running around in Texas?

Lex is the sweetest boyfriend ever! I wonder what amazing thing he's done to cheer up Chloe.

lkedino
12th December 2008, 11:37
love this story so far

lexie
12th December 2008, 15:14
I love nurse Lex. Now, I wonder, what has he asked for on the phone? A Christmas tree? Or maybe something a little bit more over-the-top?

I hope she´s better to open her presents :grin3:by the time Christmas arrives.

hfce
12th December 2008, 17:18
How did I miss this story? It is so cute! I feel bad for Chloe being sick on her vacation. I have been there myself and it is no fun when you are sick. ::/: From Chloe's smile it seems like Lex decorated for Christmas. I can't wait to see what happens next. ;)

happybum
12th December 2008, 23:10
Thanks for updating, it's cheering me up. :blinkkiss Coincidentally, I am also suffering from a flu right now. I can relate how Chloe is feeling but luckilly I recover lightning fast. I'm totally kicking the flu bug's ass. Too bad I can't have Lex Luthor nurse me back to health. That chloe is a very lucky girl. :yeahbaby: lols i keep having to edit this post b/c the meds is making me talk crazy and making me slur my English. I love the edit and delete button. They are a illiterate's bestfriend.

Kit Merlot
13th December 2008, 02:55
An awesome update!

I like Lex being such a great nurse--the man made homemade soup for God sake:grin3: And I bet he decorated the penthouse all Christmas-like so that Chloe would have a great holiday--what a sweet man:D

superag
17th December 2008, 03:31
a/n - Thank you for the feedback. Fluffy is not really my thing this year; I don't know why, but it's hard to write. Anyhoo, hope you enjoy the latest. I will try to finish it before vacation, but we will see.

Calm on Christmas Eve – Chapter 3

The first thing she noticed were the green lights that carefully were strung in tree shapes in the windows that covered the back of his living room. Even in the daylight and through the sheer curtains, she could see the perfect shapes and picture how they would look when the sun went down later.

The coffee table had a simple silver and green runner extending across its length, obviously picked out to carefully blend with the rest of the permanent furnishings. The candles, in blue and silvers, were apparently lit by someone Lex hired to come in and put the finishing touches earlier in the morning.

The dining room entrance was draped with live limbs of Douglas fir tied with red ribbon and cinnamon sticks. The limbs delicately hung to the floor. Smelling of the cinnamon, Chloe now craved a sweet coffee instead of orange juice. She gazed at the formal dining room set now adorned with simple snowflake candles in light blue and silver.

Walking into the kitchen she noticed all the hand towels and pot holders that were out of the evening before had been replaced with blue, green, and silver pieces to compliment the rest of the apartment. She looked over at the coffee pot and noticed that someone had to have just left. The fresh coffee in the pot smelled of a hint of peppermint. Pouring two cups, she carried them over and sat them on the coffeetable.

She sat on the couch and eyed the brand new piece that she had never noticed in his place. She had sworn that the night before, much less every other time she had been in the apartment that the fireplace that now flamed had never been there. Although gorgeous, she moved closer and realized that the fireplace and decorated mantle was installed as gas logs and built the night before.

Sitting in front of the perfectly warm fake fire, she giggled looking at the nine foot tree. Her smile crept up her cheeks as she looked at the white lights twinkle. The tree, though, was completely bare except for one ornament. The small ball simply had a picture that her father took of the two last year surrounded by the words, “Our First Christmas.”

Chloe glanced in the Lex’s direction as her mouth continued to sit wide open. Looking back into the living room, she rounded the corner, missing Lex slipping into his robe and watching her from the doorway.

“You know when I made the comment last night, it wasn’t your cue to make your penthouse look like the main window in Barneys.” Lex just nodded and tried not to chuckle at the comparison.

He had to admit he had probably gone overboard a bit. Sitting on the floor next to Chloe, he leaned on one hand and gazed in her direction. “I know it doesn’t quite make up for the trip, but you were right. I realized it was a little stale.”

Chloe nodded and playfully rolled her eyes. “Stale? You do realize that when the sun goes down, other people will see those trees in the window and wonder what happened to Lex Luthor. The rumors of a happiness experiment going awry will hit the Daily Planet for sure.”

Kissing her on the cheek, he chuckled. “It’s no experiment.” His eyes met his girlfriend. Taking the hand that she continued wearing the promise ring on, he kissed each finger and smiled. “I am actually happy.”

“Even being grounded to Metropolis with no work scheduled?”

Without hesitation, Lex took the drink from her hand and placed it on the coffee table. Pushing her back into the small area of the also new white mohair rug, he placed his hand behind her head and held his weight over her. “More time for you. If nothing else, this year I’ve learned to prioritize.”

Chloe giggled, “And that’s why you were late for my birthday.”

Lex leaned up from her form and glared at her. “I am done defending myself for that. You know I was waiting for that damn Federal Express guy at my office.”

“I’m just glad you didn’t get him fired for dropping the laptop. If you hadn’t ambushed him, that computer would have worked when you finally showed at the party.” Lex took a deep breath as a sly smile crossed her face. Leaning in, he gave up and placed a small kiss on her lips before she wrapped her arms around him and pulled him to deepen the kiss.

The two moaned into each other’s mouths as their legs intertwined. Lex could feel the grip she had around his neck loosen and pulled out of the kiss. Hearing her exhale and watching her eye flutter open, she looked tired still. Her color was back but her could tell from running his hand along her cheek, she was already getting warm. He blamed that partly on their chemistry, but the fever was not something he just could give her.

Pulling her up gently into his lap, he handed her drink back as she leaned into his chest. “Guess we should get started on the tree.”

Several hours the two sat on the couch and eyed the tree. They had taken their time putting up the ornaments while breaking to kiss and for Chloe to rest. She barely could believe that Lex change the digital television station to play Christmas music instead of listening to CNN.

Thinking as she put one of the last ornaments on the tree, she realized his cell phone had not rung nor had his email beeped on the laptop since the day before. “Lex?”

Lex turned and looked at her coolly from the kitchen. He had ordered her to stay put and finish the little of what was left on the tree. She could only see him moving about and had no idea what he was doing. “It looks good. The top right side could use a few more icicles.”

Chloe looked up at the place he mentioned and threw more of the gaudy tinsel on the live tree. “You know if you need to work today, I won’t be upset.”

Lex looked up after closing the oven door. “I have no work for the next two days. I wasn’t going to work regardless.” He pulled two plates out and signaled for Chloe to join him. “The tree looks…”

Chloe eyed the tree from the other end of the living and laughed. It was gaudy. It was green, blue, silver, and way gaudy. “Overdone.”

“Perfect, but it’s going away December 26th.” Chloe took her plate and followed Lex into the dining room.

“Deal.” Chloe eyed the plate and shook her head again. “You cooked again,” she commented as she put a fork full in her mouth and felt the warm cheese melt as she ate.

“Cheese ravioli, and this one was already prepared albeit by very professional chefs.”

Chloe didn’t care if he cooked it or if he had bought it catered. She was enjoying having real food again now that her stomach had stopped making turns. Sliding the last fork full into her mouth, she leaned back in the chair and put her hands in her lap.

Lex took both plates and left for the kitchen, leaving Chloe looking at the tree from the seat in the dining room. She eyed the boxes underneath the tree on the silver embroidered tree skirt and gasped. She had left her couple of gifts for Lex at the dorm in all the sickness fiasco.

She plodded out into the living room and plopped herself into the couch. Lex watched her motions and got concerned. Moving around the couch, he sat down beside her and put his arm around her. “What?”

“You gifts are at the dorm, not that I got you anything really cool. You have everything.”

Pulling her closer into his arms, she kissed her on cheek, “And the most important thing I have is right here. No gift will take place of this.” Chloe looked up as her small tears immediately were caught by Lex’s fingertips and wiped away. Pulling away to see her face, he smiled. “Now, we do have an appointment of sorts, so go get dressed. It can be as casual as you want.”

Chloe got up and had a questioned look on her face. “What are you wearing?” She now just knew to ask the question because it always determined what she should wear. Casual for Lex Luthor was different than others.

“What I’m wearing.” Chloe almost busted out with a laugh at the expensive jeans and pale blue sweater he had donned for the relaxing day. “I said casual.”

Chloe scooted across the seat of the limo parked in front of the penthouse building. A couple of errant paparazzi snapped pictures of the two leaving and seemed stunned to see the Luthor in jeans. “That’ll make the front page tomorrow,” Chloe halfway commented.

“So.” He kissed her in her hair and then leaned forward to talk on the intercom. The glass partition was up for their privacy but Lex had been very secretive on the destination. “We can go,” he calmly spoke.

Chloe felt the car pull away as she shed her coat and Lex eyed her choice of casual jeans and red sweater. Feeling her body melt into the side of his, he leaned his head against hers and loved the feeling of her arm draped in his. He watched as the driver continued with the quiet instrumental Christmas music playing in the cabin.

Feeling her breathing even out he knew that she had fallen asleep. Leaning over again, he asked the river to make another round of the city before continuing where she could sleep. Eyeing her once more, he pulled out his mobile and checked email. The 57 messages were all important, but he promised to only check them until she stirred.

Chloe sighed and moaned, opening her eyes slightly and saw Lex texting one handed. She tried not to smile at his huge attempt to not do work during their vacation together. She knew his sacrifice for turning all work off even for the holidays. “You know we can go home if need be.”

Lex leaned over and smiled at the small voice before sliding the handheld back into his pocket. “Passing time. Have a good nap?”

“Yes,” she answered as she listened to him give the driver new instructions. Turning the corner, she saw the pitch black night turn to bright colored lights. Rolling down the window on her side, she pulled out of Lex’s arms and leaned on the door staring at the miles of Christmas lights.

Lex leaned over and put his head on her shoulder, looking out the same window as her. He could barely see the smile on her face but knew it was there. “They’re really nice this year,” he quietly commented.

The car crept along behind the other hoards of cars through the Holiday light display right outside of the city. Chloe smiled and pointed out different scenes that she thought were perfectly cheesy and sweet. Passing by the next scene of the Nutcracker, Chloe’s eyes shifted from the scene to Lex. “Sponsored by Luthorcorp huh?”

“Look at the lights Chloe.”

“There may be some blood pumping through that Grinch heart after all,” she joked as she watched the entire ballet play out in lights that moved through each main scene from the show.

“It was the best I could do. It doesn’t exactly make up for the actual ballet.” Chloe’s head whipped around and looked in his direction. Seeing the questioning look on her face, he knew he would have to tell her eventually. “We were going to Moscow to see the Bolshoi do the Nutcracker.” He saw the sadness hit her face as he ran his hand along her back to comfort her.

“I’m so sorry Lex.”

“It’s quite alright. The Nutcracker is done every year, but Swan Lake during your Spring Break will be the one to see.” Chloe’s face wrinkled in confusion as the light slowly went on. Pulling him into a hug, her tears quickly faded as her lips covered his in kisses. “Calm down. You’re missing the rest of the lights.”

Chloe turned back around and felt his arms slink around her sides as they watched the rest of display pass by.

Returning back to the penthouse, Lex could see the color draining again from her face as she changed into her nightclothes and collapsed on the couch. Sliding his body underneath her head, he put down the small glass of bourbon and leaned back as he felt her fall asleep to the words, “God bless us everyone.”

lexie
17th December 2008, 04:03
That was a fluffy and very romantic evening. I wonder what else Lex´s got in store to make Chloe´s Christmas special and unforgettable.:grin3:

Kit Merlot
17th December 2008, 04:36
That was an extremely sweet chapter!

I love The Nutcracker, and while I've enjoyed the Pennsylvania Ballet's version of it, I bet the Bolshoi ballet version is just spectacular:D

And I'm loving watching Lex take care of Chloe--can't wait to see what he's got in store next.

hfce
17th December 2008, 05:42
Oh that was wonderful. I wish I had a boyfriend like Lex. I would probably marry him. :rofl: I love fluffy give me more fluff. :D

westwingwolf
17th December 2008, 09:51
That's it, Chloe and I are just going to have to fight over Lex. It might be cruel to try and take her while she's recovering from sickness, but all is fair in love and war. I'm not letting him go, he's just too perfect. Watching Christmas lights is a perfect date, don't get me wrong, I would love to see The Nutcracker performed in Russia, but cozying up in a limo with Lex looking at Christmas lights is just so private and romantic. And he decorated or had decorated the penthouse, but better than that, they actually decorated the Christmas tree together.

superag
22nd December 2008, 16:59
A/N - I'm laying in an awesome bed in the French Quarter of New Orleans putting out my last part of this little fic. I totally believe that Lex would have the presidential suite in the W. This place is fantastic. Enjoy the rest of the story and the holidays!

Chapter 4 – Finding Christmas Spirit

Chloe stretched and looked over next to her to see Lex lying by her softly sleeping. She loved seeing his face in the morning. It was before he put in his stern masque for the cruel business world. It was soft, almost happy. She noticed over the last year, it had softened even more in her presence. Lying on her side, she simply smiled as he lightly snored.

She couldn’t remember getting to bed the night before. She remembered watching a movie but never remembered seeing the ending. She knew that Lex must have moved her to the bedroom sometime in the night. Leaning up on an elbow, she lazily dragged her fingernails along his exposed arm.

Lex opened one eye and looked in Chloe’s direction. “Merry Christmas,” he whispered as Chloe’s smile broke across her face. “How do you feel?” he asked as he touched her head again. He hoped that her fever would break today. Running his hand down her face, he pulled her into a soft kiss before she could respond.

Pulling out of the kiss, she smuggled closer into his chest and huskily answered, “Much better now. Merry Christmas to you too honey.”

Feeling Lex’s hand down her back she closed her eyes and cooed until his hand found the inside of her shirt, pulling it up slightly. Feeling him tug slightly, Chloe balanced on her elbow, never taking her eyes off Lex and helped pull the shirt over her head. Sliding on top of him, she smiled devilishly which made Lex chuckle before his obvious morning bulge met her between the legs.

It was the perfect way to wake up on Christmas morning.

Chloe finally eyed the clock and slinked out of bed, reaching for her own robe to make her and Lex coffee. She turned before walking into the decorated living room and smiled. He had fallen back to sleep and looked peaceful. She wondered what it felt like for him to have what she could only think was the first normal Christmas in recent memory.

She smiled up from the table in the dining room as she flipped through a magazine. “Good morning again, afternoon almost it seems,” Lex commented as he ran his hand along her cheek and took a drink from his own mug. “I can’t remember the last time I slept that late or that well.”

“I have that calming effect on people,” Chloe jested to Lex’s comment. He nodded at her and smiled. Chloe was anything but calming on most people, but somehow she had that on Lex. He would relish seeing her on the weekends from school just forget his problems of the days for a few hours.

Chloe took Lex’s hand and guided him in near the tree. She sat down in front of the tree and coaxed Lex to at least lean against the couch while sitting on the floor with her. She glanced over the packages that were all labeled for her and then eyed the two boxes from her. “How did you?”

“One of my security personnel knows someone at campus security and called in a favor.” Chloe smiled and let the issue drop of Lex knowing a way for campus security to keep an eye on her. She picked up one of the boxes for her and looked as it as Lex rolled his eyes.

He was nervous having to buy for someone like he had for Chloe. The simple pair of diamond earrings most women took was not enough for her. She and he had now been together for what they both considered a year, making it through two birthdays and Valentine’s Day with incidents every time. But today was special.

Chloe opened the box and felt the emerald green cashmere sweater in her fingers and eyed Lex. “And when did you start buying your women clothes for gifts?”

“I actually was looking for something completely different, but the quality and softness reminded me of you. The green – that explains itself,” he smiled seeing her hold up against her and her eyes immediately brightened to match the color of the sweater.

Chloe opened the next package he handed her and watched as her eyes grew at the simple diamond drop necklace that he bought her and placed in a box big enough to throw her off that it was indeed jewelry.

“Lex,” she whispered. She couldn’t find any other words at the sight of the drop. It was simple yet probably a flawless diamond. They had discussed him showering her with fancy things and he had stayed true to his promise for the entire year.

“I know you said nothing fancy but it’s a diamond with 365 sides customly cut, one cut for everyday that we have now been together. The sweater was the Christmas gift. The drop is an anniversary gift.”

Chloe’s jaw dropped. She felt she had been stupid forgetting that she and Lex officially called their first day together being last Christmas. She hugged him and held out the drop as she pulled up her hair.

Lex undid the clasp and held the two parts around her neck. Putting the clasp back together, he kissed the back of her neck before letting her hair back down out of his hands. He felt Chloe shiver as his lips met the back of her neck and then he blew in her ear to finish her off.

Chloe turned and smiled, showing off her new necklace and met Lex’s lips with her in a quick kiss. Pulling away, she heard him quietly moan at her breaking the kiss. “My turn.”

Chloe handed a relatively heavy package to Lex and smiled as he read the small print explaining that it was his office. Opening the package, he turned his head slightly in Chloe’s direction and raised one eyebrow questioningly.

Taking the package from his hand, Chloe pulled the small metallic frame out of the box and plugged it into the wall behind the tree. Lex watched as the little display came up and Chloe handed him the remote. “It’ll play by itself or with the remote.”

Lex hit the play button and watched as picture after picture, starting with the ones her dad had taken the year before of the two of them appeared. Lex pulled Chloe back into his lap and kissed her cheek. “I know exactly where I’m going to put it.” Chloe eyed him for sarcasm but no look came. He was seriously going to put the frame in the office where everyone could see them together. “I know you said you had two but the other one security couldn’t find last night.”

“That’s ok. It wasn’t that big of a deal.” Chloe knew why he couldn’t find it. It was a gift that he could use and was definitely not out in the open with Clark and Lana there. If either saw her bondage kit that she wanted to try with Lex, they would have lost it. “I’ll save it for another time.”

Lex wrapped his arm around her as he heard a ringing coming from the office down the hall. “I have to get that. That phone is the emergency line.” Chloe felt his hand immediately drop from around her and his expression change. It was a mixture of sadness and businesslike concern.

Chloe sat and waited as Lex left for the other room. She had learned over the past year that there were moments that he couldn’t share with her, projects he was involved in that were none of her business. It was hard to separate the parts of him, but she slowly understood it was needed to make the relationship work as well as it did.

Lex walked back in and sat on the couch. Chloe could tell the news was not going to be good. “You have to leave,” she whispered.

Lex just shook his head in agreement. He was not planning on leaving. The dinner for the two of them was already planned and being delivered for late afternoon. But as with every other holiday, nothing was meant to be with the two of them. “How do you feel?”

Chloe eyed him strangely at the question. She had felt great all morning and until that moment, forgot that she had been sick at all. “I feel fine. I could use something to eat, but I can find something if you need to get going.”

Taking her hand, Lex led her into the bedroom and pulled out two small suitcases. “If you’re up to it, I hate to bring the mood down but the plant manager in Crystal City passed away last night. I need to pay my respects, but his wife is still planning on having dinner in the evening and asked us to stay. She says he would have wanted the day to remain as normal as possible.”

Chloe’s facial expression changed from confusion to sadness. She couldn’t imagine losing someone on Christmas. She silently packed and watched as Lex would glance in her direction every so often to just check on her. She listened as he called and cancelled the dinner there at the penthouse and then called for the helicopter.

An older woman opened the door and smiled sadly at the two standing on the front porch of a modest house. Immediately, Mrs. Brantly hugged Lex and thanked him for everything he had done for her family.

Chloe learned on the quick trip that Lex had gotten Mr. Brantly a job immediately after one of Luthorcorp’s competition folded in Crystal City. Lex explained Mr. Brantly was good at what he did and saw no reason because of his age that he should take retirement if he didn’t want to. The old man worked harder than most of the younger executives. He would be difficult to replace in a such successful plant.

Lex followed Mrs. Brantly into the kitchen and met the rest of the family. Chloe observed his sincere nature that seemed to creep out more and more since he and she had been together. He hugged each person in the kitchen individually and thanked them for their hospitality. They just thanked him for being there.

Chloe sat down in the living room and watched two little children staring at the tree. None of the presents were opened and the children looked understandably upset. Pulling herself off the couch, she was careful not to get too close to the kids because she had been sick.

One of the little boys turned and looked at her as she leaned against the couch. Moving over closer to her, Chloe felt nervous but knew her fever had broken since the day before. The little boy halfway smiled in her direction. “We haven’t been able to open anything yet. Papa died.”

“I heard. Your papa worked for my boyfriend.”

“The bald one? I met him before when papa took me to the office after school once. He was checking out the plant. You come to see papa too?”

Chloe ran her hand through the little boy’s hair as the other boy disappeared upstairs. She listened and heard the other boy’s steps and two doors slam. She wondered if she should check on the other one. Hearing his steps again, she looked over her shoulder as he appeared with a book.

“I came with Lex,” she simply answered.

“That’s Kevin and I’m Max. Can you read to us?” Chloe took the book and noticed the bookmark in the Christmas Carol and smiled. She looked back in the kitchen and saw the tail end on Lex’s coat hanging from a chair and knew he was busy in talks with the family.

Feeling both boys snuggle up, she opened the book and started reading where Max pointed out that they left off.

Lex looked at the time and excused himself, explaining Chloe had been under the weather and wanted to check on her. Walking into the living room with Mrs. Brantly, they both watched silently as Chloe continued reading to the grandchildren.

Mrs. Brantly leaned into Lex and whispered, “She has a way with children. They have really needed some attention today. Douglas said that she was good for you the last time he saw you. I hope you’ll be as happy with her as we were for 40 years.”

Lex glanced over at the widow and nodded almost expressionless. Spending 40 years with the same person now sunk in. He wanted what Mrs. Brantly was talking about. He wanted it with Chloe. Halfway chuckling, he shook his head hoping that 40 years down the road, he and Chloe could at least have one normal holiday.

“You were really good with the kids today. Mrs. Brantly was very appreciative of your help.” Chloe smiled as she got changed after returning to the penthouse later in the evening. She still had no fever but felt a little weak after the strange and long day.

“It was a good dinner. They are a wonderful family. I’m glad to see that you still hire some that are good, kind hearted human beings and not just cut throat barracudas.” Chloe sat down on the bed and watched as Lex changed as well. Other present laid unopened as well as a plate of Christmas desserts sat on the table untouched. “When’s the wake?”

Lex sat down next to her on the bed, undoing his shirt. Taking her hand, he felt her lean her head on his shoulder. “Thursday. I guess you’ll go with me.” Eyeing Chloe from the corner of his eye, she nodded. Kissing her lightly on the top of the head, Lex let go and hung his coat up and toed off his shoes before collapsing again on the bed. Pulling Chloe down next to him, she glanced over in his direction and smiled. “I want to be that happy when I get old.”

“Me too,” Lex commented as he wrapped Chloe in his arms and pulled her closer to him, feeling her legs drape around his.

“So, how will we ever top the strangeness of this Christmas next year?” Chloe tried to say unamused by the mere thought of the last few holiday as she ran her fingers along Lex’s chest.

“I’ll ask you to marry me.”

A long silence bit into the sounds of Christmas music playing on the stereo in the other room. Chloe pulled up out of Lex’s arms and glared at him. She watched the corners of his mouth pull up in a small smile. Placing his finger over her lips, he silenced her. “Merry Christmas Chloe.” Lowering her head into the crook of his arm, she smiled to herself. Maybe they were meant to be after all.

THE END

lexie
22nd December 2008, 17:56
That was a sweet ending, super. I´m glad she felt well enough to open the presents and share a family dinner with people who cared about Lex. The wedding proposal was the perfect ending for another unusual holiday. I wonder what Lex will say when Chloe shows him the gift she´s hidden from Clark and Lana.:grin3:

sbrown1016
23rd December 2008, 01:11
That was such a sweet story.

Kit Merlot
23rd December 2008, 02:32
This was an adorable ending to a touching and sweet story!

And how awesome that you are spending Christmas in New Orleans:grin3:

Thank you for this lovely story.

westwingwolf
23rd December 2008, 06:04
That was very sweet and incredibly heartfelt. I hope Lex and Chloe have many more imperfect holidays to come if they all end well.

dagney
23rd December 2008, 13:25
Thanks for the fic, it was nice to see the reflection of the characters enjoying each other despite the trials of real life. Dagney

Dominique
26th December 2008, 06:48
Loved it....:blinkkiss

hfce
29th December 2008, 06:06
Aww that was so sweet. I will miss this cute story. :P

Ami Rose
10th October 2013, 23:21
that was sad but wonderful thank you

Kit Merlot
18th December 2015, 02:04
Man but this is a sweet story--truly lovely work:D