PDA

View Full Version : One Step Forwards, Two Steps Back (PG-13)

HumbugGirl
8th August 2003, 20:17
Title: One Step Forwards, Two Steps Back
Author: HumbugGirl
Email: humbuggirl@hotmail.com
URL: http://www.geocities.com/oddfiction
Pairing: Gabe-centric, hint of Chlex
Rating: PG13
Summary: Gabe Sullivan – in his natural habitat, dealing with stress and the problems of being a father.
Spoilers: None
Disclaimer: I would be lying if I said they were mine.
Author’s Notes: 1) Written from Gabe’s perspective on the things going on in his life. 2) Written for the sv_roast challenge.

Mr Luthor, Lex, Gabe mentally corrected himself, walked by his open office door at least six times a day. So regular were the young man’s excursions from his office that Gabe can almost set his watch to them if he really wanted to and Lex invariably found it impossible to walk by without sticking his head through the door and saying, “Everything going okay Gabe?” to which the answer was always a positive ‘yes’ and a mental thrill of terror at the thought something might have gone wrong that Lex knows about but that he, the plant manager, does not know about. The fear that such a question from the confident, swaggering young man invokes is both irritating and stimulating, urging him to work harder when he already knows that he works hard enough to have been rewarded with the position Lex currently holds long ago.

The only question that Gabe dreads more from his boss’ lips is the inevitable, always lurking around the corner ready to pounce, “So how are things at home then?” That question tended to stop Gabe dead in his tracks.

It could mean a number of things of course and that in itself was part of the problem. There was point of Gabe which always pointed out the fact that it might be an honest interest but there was also a part that said it might be a thinly veiled hint that he should go home and spend some time there instead of at the office. Then of course there was the other theory that Lex was *actually* asking about Chloe in an around about sort of way and that was the one which unsettled Gabe the most. Lex Luthor, renowned billionaire playboy and ladies’ man should *not* be asking questions about his daughter; especially not when the girl in question was both pretty and intelligent; a combination which would attract many a man to her. Even more so when it was taken into consideration that Chloe, god bless her, asked entirely too many questions about Lex for comfort and also happened to be only *fifteen* years old and (Gabe was nearly certain) relatively inexperienced.

As if to compound that idea Gabe now had a recurring nightmare where Chloe told him that she had gone to the plant to find him, come across Lex instead and the two of them had ended up screwing like bunnies on the ridiculously expensive rug on the floor of Lex’s office. The morning after the first time Gabe had suffered through the nightmare he had sat Chloe down at breakfast and said very seriously, “Lots of money does not equal lots of love.” Only to have Chloe say rather flippantly in reply before hurrying off, “But it does equal a house in every other major city in the world.”

It was perhaps around about that time that Gabe had felt the first twinges of the long promised ulcer. His doctor’s solution had been some new fangled relaxation technique that involved lots of laughter. The problem with that was that Gabe knew you could only laugh so long about the crap industry – it was a serious business after all.

The chime of the clock on the wall of his office, a slight knock on his door and the steady rumble of his ulcer alerted Gabe to the fact it was time to go home. Looking up he found himself staring right at the suave, confident, disgustingly relaxed form of Lex Luthor in the doorway with a smile on his features. “Gabe, I was wondering whether you wanted to walk down to the parking lot together.” Gabe offered him a brief nod in reply and hurriedly collected together his things. He walked across the floor and they stepped through the doorway, Lex clapping him on the shoulder as they did so, opening his mouth and sending a tremor through Gabe. “So how are things at home?”

Another rumble from his stomach sent Gabe reached for in antacids. The lucky bastard had probably never even had to think about getting an ulcer in his entire life.

THE END

vardaquareien
8th August 2003, 20:32
:pclol: "How do I love Gabe? Let me count the ways" (Sorry it's 4:30am and I'm slightly insane-er than usual)

THis fic is a classic - I :wub: Gabe, he's suck a cutie!!! The poor bugger, he needs a very long relaxing holiday (during which, Lex and Chloe could hook up!!)

I also luv his response to his nightmare
“Lots of money does not equal lots of love.” Only to have Chloe say rather flippantly in reply before hurrying off, “But it does equal a house in every other major city in the world.”...and of course Chloe's reply!!!

Tandy
8th August 2003, 20:58
:biggrin: that was so incredibly cute! Had a smile on face the whole time i was reading it! Poor gave, he just needs to get some time before he gets used to the idea! :wub:

Tandy

petriebird18
8th August 2003, 21:18
I LOVED this fic! Poor Gabe, i love him, but he just needs to understand that Chlex is meant to be! :biggrin: Even if Chloe's his little girl! Hey, maybe a sequel? You know, from Lex's POV maybe? Why IS he asking that question?
~Deidre~
:chlexsign3:

dsapiro
8th August 2003, 21:19
:lol: very funny. Gabe is so cute. Its like he recognises that they are meant to be, but just doesn't want it to happen. Great job.

who?
8th August 2003, 21:34
I agree with petriebird18. I would also like a sequal from lex's POV

bluemoongirl23
8th August 2003, 23:44
Gabe is the best! I love his perspective on the whole thing. I'd also like to see Lex's view on the situation, and then Chloe's. Now, go, work!

Blue

shailafter
8th August 2003, 23:51
hahahh that was an adorable fic! i also like the idea of a sequal! :biggrin:

staysixkid
9th August 2003, 01:47
Poor old Gabe. Lol. You gotta to love him! It would be interesting to see Lex's POV :eyebrows:

A-u-r-o-r-a
9th August 2003, 02:23
Daddy! Daddy coo-ool...Daddy, Daddy Coooool!

:sunny:

tigerbaby
9th August 2003, 03:09
I absolutely loved it!!! It's no surprise that Gabe can see the chemistry between Lex and Chloe

Joy
9th August 2003, 04:53
That poor man.

Why is Lex asking about 'how things are at home?' I laughed at gabe's dreams... or nightmares. Lex and Chloe dating however may really give him a fully developed ulcer....

Sequel???

lunaluthor
9th August 2003, 20:54
Gabe is a blast and he needs a long relaxing holiday and I'm sure Les is taking good care of Chloe :wub:

Brittany
10th August 2003, 05:30
The end!?! Are you crazy or just cruel? That was way too cute to stop, there should definately be a sequel where you can affirm Gabe's suspicions!

sabby
10th August 2003, 06:13
*snickers* that was funny, I liked it muchly. Gabe getting an ulcer just from supecting that there is something between his daughter and his boss heheh. poor Gabe

hugs,
Sabby

happy bunny
14th August 2003, 22:08
That was too cute and really funny. I have to agree with everyone else. A sequel is in order, so get to it!

*Kelly

Czech Angel
19th August 2003, 20:11
:pclol: Oh my god that was just too funny!
Poor Gabe, but he must accept that Chloe and Lex are just meant to be.
:chlexsign3:

sylvia
25th October 2003, 09:38
A very interesting read, I really love the perspective and tone of voice you used. It's quirky and well-written, and, like vardaquareien said, a real classic. Couldn't stop grinning.

Sequel?

autumngold
25th October 2003, 19:46
I love this story!! :wub: Poor Gabe is thinking too much! :biggrin: No wonder his ulcer is acting up! I think he doesn't want to admit that Chloe and Lex would be perfect together!! :chlexsign2: Please write a sequel from Lex or Chloe's point of view!! :yay2:

katspell
21st December 2003, 20:32
I have to add my :love: for the story. Short, sweet and to the point. I think I would like a second or maybe third story as well!!

txalb
1st January 2006, 03:03
This is too cute. Not only is it from Gabe’s point of view but funny as well. That comment about being able to buy a house in every major city was perfect, and so Chloe.

It made me laugh, thanks for writing.

txalb

cnl2003
27th February 2006, 07:19
Tee Hee...this really needs a sequel - or two, a changing POV would be cool!

persephone47
27th February 2006, 07:53
That's great but I have to 47th the oppinion of 'there needs to be a sequel'... please, it's so cute.

Ainur
6th May 2006, 01:23
This story made me me smile. Great job!

angie284
20th June 2006, 08:19
As if to compound that idea Gabe now had a recurring nightmare where Chloe told him that she had gone to the plant to find him, come across Lex instead and the two of them had ended up screwing like bunnies on the ridiculously expensive rug on the floor of Lex’s office. The morning after the first time Gabe had suffered through the nightmare he had sat Chloe down at breakfast and said very seriously, “Lots of money does not equal lots of love.” Only to have Chloe say rather flippantly in reply before hurrying off, “But it does equal a house in every other major city in the world.”

LOL. Poor Gabe has had one hell of a time raising Chloe :).

Alizaleven
21st June 2006, 11:13
Awwww lol! hehehe such a funny and good fic! Poor Gabe... he has to live with the chlex chemistry and he's her Dad.. oh goodness very funny and good like i said before lol

please oh please write a sequel :D !

~*~Tasha~*~
6th July 2006, 03:54
Poor guy getting an ulcer with worry. Not healthy, Gabe. Cute ficlet.