PDA

View Full Version : [Completed] Forgiveness Is Golden (PG-13) Completed 07/09/08

PMD
9th July 2008, 17:38
Thanks for Daria for coming up with this great challenge. Enjoy.

Title: Challenge From Daria - "Forgiveness Is Golden"

Author: PMD

e-mail: mary.davidson@sympatico.ca

Rating: PG-13 (language)

Category: Friendship, Chlex, Clana, slight angst, Chloe's POV, AU

Spoilers: Anything is fair game up to season 6.

Summary: Chloe and other's finally convince Clark to give Lex another chance at friendship.

Disclaimer: To whomever owns Smallville, its characters, The Four Musketeers, and Johnny On The Spot, I'm just borrowing them, will give them back, not making any money with their use in this piece, so don't sue me.

Archive: To BT2, Electricchlex, SPP, and N.S. forums for the time being. If anybody else wants it, all they have to do is ask.

Author Notes: This came from a challenge from a good friend, Daria, on N.S. Thanks, sweetie, for helping me get out some frustration through this piece---and just making my muse very happy. Oh, the elements of the challenge will be at the end of the piece. Enjoy.

Challenge From Daria - "Forgiveness Is Golden" - by PMD

Metropolis General

I run into the hospital, my coat flapping behind me.

"Where is he?" I ask the nurse at the station.

"Where's who?"

I catch my breath, panting like a dog and then sigh.

"Sorry---where's Lex Luthor? What room is he in?"

"Mr. Luthor is in surgery at the moment."

"Oh God---yes he would be. Can you tell me---where was he shot? How is he doing? Is he going to make it?"

Oh dear lord, I sound like a reporter---stop it Chloe!

"In his chest. As to the other questions---"

I put up my hand, effectively stopping her. I then close my eyes for a moment; praying for a man who had been so many different things to me.

A friend, a mentor, a verbal judo partner, an enemy, and then a friend once more. But who am I kidding---the day he went after Lana and used her to get Clark to come back to his senses---that changed from friend to something more intense.

Not like we took that step ever---and Clark did come forward to save Lana from the big balding bully. But at least I was there as a friend and even with Clark warning me once more about Lex, I didn't listen to him. In fact, I just told him either accept me being friends with Lex or we wouldn't be anymore.

He did, reluctantly and at some urging from Lana, who got engaged to Clark soon after. Lex---well, he just had that little smirk on his face after I told him about the engagement.

'You didn't love her at all, did you, Luthor?' I remembered asking him.

'Chloe---for years I've tried to get them together---what do you think?'

I remembered sighing sadly and then seeing the recognition in Lex about how I felt about Clark. But I knew that I was starting to get over it because of him. Still it stung a bit---just wondered if it was Clark or the fact that Lex didn't ask for my help with this.

He had frowned then. 'I'm sorry---I forgot.'

'It's okay---I'm moving beyond Clarkland and off to find my own hearts desire. I think it's more the fact you didn't ask for my help with this---I was out of the loop. But I forgive you.'

'I just wish that Clark figured out that forgiveness is golden too.'

I patted his arm again and he gave me a wistful smile.

"Chloe!"

I open my eyes and watch Lana running down the corridor towards me.

"What's happening? Is Mr. Kent okay? Is Lex okay?"

Oh God, I forgot about Mr. Kent. Some reporter you're going to make, Chloe.

I turn to the nurse. "Is Mr. Kent okay?"

"He's got a broken arm---he was pushed by somebody when the shot went out."

"Not pushed---Lex took the bullet meant for him," I railed at her.

Lana put her arm around my shoulder and looked pointedly at the nurse. "I'm sorry about my friend. Could you tell me what room Senator Kent is in?"

"Are you family?"

"I'm his son's fiancée."

She nods and quickly checks the computer. After we get the number and get the promise of somebody coming to tell us Lex's condition after he gets out of surgery, we run to the room and go inside, seeing Clark and Mrs. Kent there.

Lana walks over to Clark and leads him to a corner to talk. I walk over to the other two and they smile at me.

"Senator---are you going to be okay?"

"Yes, I am, Chloe. Thanks to somebody pushing me away, I only have a broken arm, not a broken body."

"It was Lex. Somebody told me they saw it on the news---he was coming out of that conference. He must have seen a glint of something---or heard something---and pushed you out of the way, Sir."

"Or set it up?" I hear Clark say.

I turn to him and growl. "Yeah, of course you would think less of the man. Why is that Clark? Because I'm his friend and you're trying to color me again?"

"Chloe, he set it up to make himself look like a hero."

I walk over to the man, seething mad.

"You know what, Kent. I never told you this but the man has very acute hearing---so, it's not unheard of him to hear a click of a gun barrel. I don't know why---maybe its years of practice, dodging his father. Or maybe it's a meteor power, like his ability to heal. But I can tell you for a fact; he might have hurt your family in the past but that's in the past. Now he only has good intentions towards you all in this room. I can feel it and sense it miles away. So shut the fuck up about things you don't know. The man is shot---he---he---"

Oh God, he might die and he'll never know how I feel.

I feel faint but somebody catches me and brings me to the chair nearest Senator Kent.

"Clark, Chloe is right."

I look at the Senator and smile. "I am?"

He smiles at me. "I have to say part of how I felt about him in the past still clouds me and Clark is feeling the effect. But I do know that he tried to fix his mistake with his father and Martha that time; he did save our farm so we wouldn't be penniless and have to start over again; and even if he saved me for his own reasons with a gun, he did it. It wasn't all pure two of those times but the farm being saved was. Although---he did love our vegetables."

Martha hits his good arm and then turns to me. "Chloe, I know he did bad things in the past, as well as good. But I think you changed him. And Clark---"

She turns her eyes on him. "He did what he did to get your attention in regards to Lana. He didn't want her---sorry dear," she says, looking at Lana now.

"Its okay---I'm with the one I love now because of it. That's why I forgave him."

She smiles at her and then looks back at Clark. "If Lana can forgive, why can't you?"

He fumes for a bit and then sighs. "I don't know---maybe it's the cave?"

I get up from my chair and walk over to him.

"It's a fucking cave, Clark. Our destinies aren't written on cave walls---it's just a rumor or maybe more like a story---a story that can be rewritten in real life. And maybe all the walls haven't been uncovered. Maybe it's just a part of the story you see there, if that's what you want to believe in. Don't let the past color what you feel now. Give it a chance---look in his eyes, Clark. All he's ever wanted was acceptance for who he is, not what his family is. All he's ever wanted is a family who loves him. All he ever wanted was a woman who accepted him for him, not for what he has. And Clark he's not indifferent or too self-involved with himself to see what he's done is wrong in the past. That's why he did what he did---he hoped to get you back with Lana by doing this and he did. And now you have her---and she loves you."

I take a deep breath and continue, "And you have your family too and friends like me. But now he has me too as a friend---and don't deny him that---and maybe you could try to see beyond the shades of darkness and look into the grey area and see he's worth it---to save him, to watch over him, to be his friend again."

"Son, listen to her."

He looks at his father. "But---"

"The past is the past; the present a gift---the future is not ours to see. But you can help the future along by becoming his friend again. I know you miss him---I see you looking at that picture of you and him. Just give him a chance."

He turns to look at me now and smiles. "Well, I guess he has one friend and a woman who understands him."

"That would be me, right?" I ask, jokingly.

He gasps. "You're in love with him, aren't you, Chloe?"

"Gee, Lana, maybe he's not as dense as we used to think he was."

"Chloe, it took Lex to come after me to finally ask me to marry him---that's dense."

Clark snorts at that and then I start to tear up. "He's not going to die, right?"

Before he can answer, the door opens to the room and the doctor is there. He walks in, the door closing behind him.

"The nurse said you wanted to know about Mr. Luthor's condition?"

I walk away from Clark to the doctor. "Doctor---he's not---"

"Well, surgery was a bit touch and go but he's alive. However, we had to induce coma for him to heal."

"He'll come out of it when he's healed, right, Doctor?" I ask.

He looks at me. "I've heard that people talking to others in coma's does wonders in achieving that."

I understand what he's saying. If Lex knows that he has something worth living for, he would heal faster and come out of it. At the moment, he knows I'm his friend but that's it. Well, that's going to change.

"Can I go see him?" I ask.

"Are you family?" he asks.

"Yeah, she is---she's his fiancée," I hear Clark say.

I turn to him, thanking him with my eyes and then back to the doctor.

"All right---we need to get him into his room. You can see him in 10 minutes---room 303."

"Thank you, Doctor."

He nods at me and then goes over to check on the Senator.

I look at Clark. "Fiancée?"

"Only thing I could come up with on such short notice. Sister seemed to---"

"Ewwww?"

He nods and then comes closer to me. "Chloe---go on---tell him I'll be along later."

"I will," I state, giving him a quick hug and a nod to the others.

I'm on my way, Lex. I'm on my way.

~

Room 303

I stand outside the room, a little nervous about going in there and pouring out my heart to him. Will he really hear me or not? Will I have to repeat everything when he's wide awake---or will I have the guts to do it?

I sigh and push the door open to see a man standing by his bed.

My eyes narrow and then pulse with anger.

"Get the hell away from him, Lionel!" I whisper, fiercely.

He turns away from his son and looks at me.

"Excuse me!"

I walk in, the door closing behind me. "I said leave you sorry excuse for a human being---and I mean NOW!"

He smirks at me. "He's my son. You aren't even family---you leave!"

"I'm the family he needs---so leave now before I call security!"

"Oh, I'll call security on you, Ms. Sullivan."

I walk closer to him and growl. "Go away---he doesn't need you anymore. He needs calm to heal---you just leave chaos in your wake."

He turns to look at his son and I hear a chuckle. "I'm not finished with my son yet, Ms. Sullivan. He just ruined my plans."

"Oh my God---you sent somebody to kill Senator Kent? Why?"

"Now I see why my son appreciates and fears you too, Ms. Sullivan. You are too smart for your own good. And to answer your question, I couldn't 'handle' Mr. Jonathan Kent. Not like the first time anyways. So, I tried to deal with it and once more, my son fouled up my plans."

We hear the door slam open and a very angry Clark is before us.

"You son of a bitch! You tried to kill my father!"

He walks over to him and I see Kal deep in his eyes. Damn the circumstances---Lionel is about to meet his maker and Clark is about to end up in jail, unless I do something fast.

I get between them. "Clark---don't---he's not worth it."

He glares at me and then sighs. "You're right, Chloe. But---"

I turn to look at Lionel. "Mr. Luthor, Clark and I will be testifying to your role in what happened to Lex and Senator Kent---unless---"

"Unless what?"

"No, Chloe---no unless---he has to pay!" Clark states.

I turn to look at him and sigh. "No revenge---just justice. Now I think you should have the privilege to call for security, don't you?"

He nods and then goes over to the phone, calling for security.

I know this is going to be dangerous once more but we have to do it for all involved.

Security comes and takes him away, his eyes gleaming with ways to get rid of us both.

Lex has his room looking out over the front of the building. So, Clark and I walk over to the window and watch as Lionel is lead out to a police car.

He's almost to it when we hear what sounds like fire crackers and we watch him fall to the ground.

"What the hell!" I state.

"Who---why---somebody shot him, Chloe."

"I know," I say, in shock.

We watch an officer get down to Lionel's level and touch his neck. He looks up at the other one and shakes his head---Lionel is dead.

We then watch as a woman comes out of the darkness and looks up at Lex's window. She sees us standing there and smiles, giving us a nod before she joins the police, putting out her hands for the cuffs.

"Helen?" I query.

"Guess Lionel got on her bad side too."

I turn back to look at Lex, sleeping like a baby and sigh.

"Clark---how will he feel when he finds out his father is truly gone now?"

"Free."

I smile. "I guess. Clark---"

"I'll go tell my parents and Lana what happened. I'll be back later."

"Thanks for coming at the right moment, Clark. You always were 'Johnny On The Spot'."

"Did you just call me a toilet?"

"I guess I did---after all, you did give Lex a lot of crap."

He laughs at me and gives me a hug. "Lex isn't the only one free now, I take it."

"Nope," I say to him. "All of us are free of Lionel the Loser."

He backs away and looks at Lex. "He will feel free."

"And sad."

"Sad?"

"This is between you and me but Lex once told me that the reason he stayed with his father was because he wanted his love. But he knew he would never get it. I mean, look at what Lionel said about Lex---he fouled up his plans again. Lex was nothing more than somebody to manipulate---and yet Lex wanted his love. Could Lionel have manipulated that too?"

Clark sighs. "No---not that. But everything else. Lionel is to blame for his attitude there for a while because he tainted Lex. But no longer."

"True---and now he can find the love that he needed."

"From you."

"And from you too, Clark. And your family, Lana, anybody willing to see past his past and into his future."

He nods, giving my arm a squeeze and then looking to the door.

"Go---tell them. We'll see you later."

He nods again and walks over to Lex. "Sleep well, Buddy---you deserve it. Ding Dong, the warlock is dead."

He touches his arm and then turns to look at me. "Laters, Chlo."

I nod.

He walks towards the door and opens it, leaving us behind.

Now to spend some time with the man I love.

~

A Couple of Days Later

I'm in the chair beside Lex's bed. He's still not awake yet. The doctor isn't that worried but I am.

I lean over and try to pick something off him. Nothing---I can't feel anything from him. It's like he's rolled up in a little ball and is all the way back in his head, hiding.

"Lex, did I scare you with telling you I loved you? Do you feel like you don't deserve it so you are hiding in the coma, hoping I'll leave and you won't have to deal with it? Sorry, Buddy. But I've decided to run towards love now. Unless---maybe you don't love me."

I lean back in my chair and start to tear up. Then I feel something---something sharp---a sadness---not from myself but from him.

I lean over and touch his face. "Lex---you feel sad because I'm hurting. Come on, Pal---give it to me---I can take it."

I close my eyes, concentrating on this emotion that is burrowing out of his mind into mine. I then make it disappear and place happy emotions in its place in his mind. I'm healing him---at least I hope I am.

Then it happens---a feeling so deep and true that I gasp.

He loves me---I can feel it---like floating on a sea of turquoise blue and green---a combination of us both. A warm sea---with waves of love crashing upon it. It's staggeringly beautiful.

I pull back my hand and watch as his eyes open.

He smiles at me and I smile back.

He looks around the room and then back at me, his eyes questioning me.

"Your in the hospital---you were shot saving Senator Kent."

He nods. Then:

"Who?"

"Lex, your father tried to have Senator Kent killed."

His eyes widen. Then he has this sad look in his eyes.

"Where?"

"Your father?"

He nods.

"Lex, Helen killed him."

His eyes glisten with tears. I sigh and pat his arm.

"I know, it hurts. But we'll help you through this, Lex."

"Yes, we will," we hear from the doorway.

There stands Clark, with the flowers I asked him to get from the safe house I was at, a few years ago.

He brings them in and puts them in the vase on the table beside Lex.

He then smiles at Lex. "I'm back---and now Clark and Lex can take on the world and win."

"Ahhem---that's Clark and Lana can take on the world---along with---"

I'm about to add myself but I stop. Then I feel his hand on my arm. I look at his smile and smile too. He takes it away and I know it's time to add us two to the mix.

"Clark and Lana and Lex and Chloe taking on the world," I state.

"Clark?" we hear Lex croak out.

"Yes?"

"Sorry."

He gives Lex a nod. "I know---but it took my Mom, Dad, Lana, and Chloe to convince me of that fact."

"Dad?" he gets out.

"Yeah, can you believe that."

"Anything possible now."

"Hey, stop talking---let your voice rest for a while," I admonish.

He looks at me and sticks out his tongue.

I start to giggle and then laughter over takes me. Lex Luthor---sticking out his tongue to anybody is just so funny---and unexpected.

Clark joins in on the laughter and then we hear the others coming in to visit.

For a while, the room is crowded but Lex doesn't mind. He knows he has family now---and friends---he's truly the richest man in the world.

"Rich," he mouths at me, when I can get in to see him.

"Very rich," I state, leaning down to kiss him gently.

"Love you too," he mouths, as I back away.

I just smile and watch the others talking to him---Lana saying that the Talon is doing okay. Senator Kent thanking him once more for saving him. Martha saying she's going to make him a pie, and Clark, just beaming like an idiot.

"People, I have to ask you to leave."

We turn to look at the nurse and then nod our understanding.

The others say goodbye and leave---I stay there, sitting on the chair again.

"Go home," he says.

"I am home," I state, my hand on his and patting it.

I am home.

~

A Week Later - Lionel's Funeral

I walk into his room and smile. He's sitting up and arguing with the nurse.

"I don't want to take them---I'm feeling fine."

"Well, if you want to stop feeling fine, don't take them. If you do---you take them or I'll---"

"Sarah?"

She stops talking and looks at me. She smiles and then smirks at him. "Now you'll be taking them."

She places them on the table in front of Lex and walks towards me.

"Tell him he takes them or he won't be getting out of the hospital anytime soon."

I smirk at her. "Okay."

She walks out of the room and I move into it, giving him a look.

"Oh, like you never took a pill when you should have when you were in here," he gripes.

"Yes, but I was a teenager then---not an adult like you. Not very becoming, acting like a child with your nurse. Now she won't give you a sponge bath."

"Thank God!" he says, looking to the heavens.

I pick up the cup with the pills in them and then smirk. "Hmmmm---maybe I'll tell her the worst fate would be her giving you one instead."

"You wouldn't!"

"I would."

"But you love me."

I sigh. "Yes, and that is why I would, Lex. I want you to heal up fast so I can take you home and---well, you finish that thought."

He smiles. "Okay---give me the pills---I'll take them for that incentive."

I hand them to him and he pops them in his mouth, taking a swig of water to wash them down. Then he hands me the cup and I put it in front on him.

"So, how's school going?"

"Finished my exams---got the summer free."

"Ahhh---any idea what you will be doing?"

I move closer to him and smile. "What do you think?"

"Working at The Planet?"

"Ah---no."

"Taking some college courses in the summer to add to the ones already taken this year?"

"Ah---no."

"Hmmm---I have no idea then."

I move away and sit on the chair. "I was thinking about staying around and helping your recovery. But I guess I'll have time free instead."

"Chloe?"

I smile. "Yes, Lex?"

"I could use some help going through my father's stuff and getting rid of it."

"Bon Fire?"

"Maybe."

"Charity?"

"For sure---after we dry clean all his clothes---wouldn't want anybody getting sick wearing them."

"Okay---I'll help---but no overdoing it, Mister."

"Yes, Nurse."

I sigh and look at the TV, no sound. "Lex, it's almost time."

"I know. I wish I was there just to spit on his grave."

"Don't worry---we'll do that when you feel better. Right now---oh, there she is."

My cousin, Lois, is on the screen and he turns up the sound:

"This is Lois Lane standing in for Mary Sanders."

"Why is she there?" Lex asks me.

"They asked me---I said I had someplace to be and suggested her---now let's listen."

"Today we say goodbye to one of the most influential men in Metropolis. You'll see there are kings and statesmen around for it. But no family or friends. Why is that you ask? Well, for one, his son is still in the hospital and his other son---"

"---is right here."

We turn to see Lucas standing there, smiling.

He walks in and stands by the end of Lex's bed. "Why didn't you get in touch with me sooner, Lex?"

"I didn't want to bother you," he answers.

"You know, Chloe, he's about as dense as Clark is. Lex, family isn't a bother. You know I love you, don't you?"

"I guess."

"Well, don't guess anymore, Luthor. And let's listen to Lois for once in our lives," I state.

All three of us look at the TV:

"Well, the long and the short of it the man spent most of his life making enemies and not influencing friends. So, most, if not all, are here to say goodbye to a man they barely knew. This is Lois Lane, signing off on the sad life of one Lionel Luthor."

Lex switches off the TV, as I move the chair away to allow Lucas to walk closer to him to give him a hug. He backs away and I clear my throat.

"The rest of you can come in now," I state.

The door opens to the Kents and Lana.

They surround Lex's bed and then I take out the paper that Lois gave me.

"Lois wanted you to hear what she wanted to say on the TV but felt better not to---or maybe they just didn't want her to say it. Either way, she wanted you to hear it."

He nods I should start.

"This is Lois Lane. I have to say today, I got the short end of the stick---but then, my cousin would have gotten it, instead of me. And she's already short enough or gotten the short stick too often. Until today---where Lionel has it since he's dead and going six feet under. And hopefully his spirit is heading where it's hot as hell, because it is Hell."

I take a breath and then:

"He's going to Hell today because of the manipulative, angry, sad, pathetic, way he treated people in his life. He had two sons that he could have loved but instead used one---deprived him of love. And the other---tried to turn him against the other. He failed, thank God. And now his eldest has a love that will keep him safe and warm. As to the youngest---I hope and pray one day he finds it too."

I take another breath and feel the tears in my eyes:

"Lex, this is for you and your family that I say this. My cousin saved you from the coma you hid in with her empathic ability."

I take another breath and:

"She was your enemy at one point but one night I dared her to look deep into you. She walked up and saw why you did what you did to all that you did it too. And she knew it wasn't selfish or unwise like Lionel. You did it to stop the hurting of Clark---to give Lana the love she always needed and wanted. You accomplished what many had wanted too and that makes you a good guy in my books. Got any idea where I can find a guy like you to love. No---guess they broke the mold, eh. Well, this is Lois Lane signing off and saying good riddance to bad rubbish---and let the celebration begin. Ding Dong, the warlock is dead."

I look over at the man and see a tear going down his cheek. I look over at Lucas who is just beyond words---never thought I would see that. Then I hear a sniffle from Lana and sense Clark putting his arm around her shoulder, as does Senator Kent with his wife.

"Lex, I'm so sorry that I misjudged you for so long," I hear the Senator say.

"Sir, I wasn't too forthcoming or pure back then---I'm not even pure now. You had the right and fortitude to misjudge me---and the grace to forgive me my sins by loving me right now. That's all I need to know."

He walks over and gives him a quick hug.

"Thank you for saving my husband, Lex."

He smiles at Mrs. Kent. "My pleasure, Martha.

She smiles at him and then Clark and Lana come forward. "We believe in you now, Lex. And we'll try to keep you closer to light than dark," she states for them both.

"Who's going to be doing that?" he quips, looking at me.

I just raise an eyebrow and then:

"Lex, I think I'll go get some coffee---you want any, Chloe?"

"Lucas, do you even have to ask?" I quip.

"Yeah, I forgot who I was talking to."

They all laugh and I smile. Then:

"Mrs. Kent and I will come down with you to get the coffee and some food," Senator Kent says.

"Need help, Dad?"

"No, Son. You stay here with Lex---we can handle it."

The three of them make their way out, Martha's hand in Lucas', allowing me to know that he's a part of the family too.

Then silence. I, by Lex's side---Clark and Lana behind me---Lex, staring out in space.

"10 million for your thoughts?" I ask.

He turns to look at me. "I could have been him."

The fear in his eyes say it all.

"No, Lex, you wouldn't---you couldn't. I see that now," Clark states.

I pull away from Lex and Clark stands beside the bed.

"Why, Clark. Tell me why."

"Because you feared what he was. You saw the pain and suffering he inflicted---you felt it from others too. Course, you could have turned bad---but not the pure evil your father was."

"So, why didn't I stay bad when I was bad? Why was my father the way he was? Why, Clark?"

He puts his hand on top of Lex's. "Feel that?"

He nods.

"Lionel never felt that. He killed his own parents---not him physically, but he got his best friend to do it. And what best friend does that?"

"True---but I killed for you back then."

"Not to destroy---okay, maybe to hide what you were back then---but not totally. You saved my father---and you did it again. That is not an action of a man who's pure evil. Now, we just have to balance it. After all, we are all light and dark---even Lana."

"Yeah, I can kick butt with the best of them."

Then she sighs. "Clark---tell him, please."

He looks at her, standing by him now. I get over to the other side, my hand in Lex's.

He smiles at Clark. "You don't need to, my friend. I know---you're a meteor freak, like us all."

His eyebrow lifts. "Well, a little more than that---wait---you three are meteor freaks!"

"Yep---I'm empathic; Lana can talk to dead people; and Lex can heal himself and others," I state.

"And I am not one."

"What---Clark---you have to be with your abilities," Lex says, puzzled.

Clark takes a deep breath and lets it out. Then he looks into Lex's eyes. "Lex, a couple of years ago, when Morgan was in our lives, you found out that I was an---Lex---you found out my secret and tried to save me. You accepted me for who I was but then you forgot. And I was scared to tell you again because of your father---because of how you were emulating him a bit---because I didn't want to burden you with what I am. But I see it's a burden best shared with those you love, so, I'm going to tell you once more."

"Okay---but if you want to wait---"

"I've waited too long. Lex, I'm an alien."

Lex stares at him for a moment and then smiles.

"Well, that explains the scene on the cave walls."

"What? The cave walls again. Chloe said that they might be just pure fiction when it comes to us," Clark states.

"Well, Chloe has been known to be wrong, Clark."

I snort and he looks at me, smiling. I just lift my eyebrow and gesture he continue.

"Clark, that wasn't you and me pictured on the wall, fighting---I mean, come on. I'm no match for an alien with your strength. I'm smart, not strong like that. However---"

"Zod---that was the spirit of Zod and Brainics doing. Oh God, Lex, if I had only thought longer about it, I would have seen it too. And I wish I had told you about myself but---"

"I know, my father; the room; everything conspired against us---not to mention Zod and Brainiac. But no more. Forgiveness is golden and we both have bestowed that on each other, right?"

He nods, looking down at his feet.

"Clark?"

He looks up at him. "The weight of the world isn't on your shoulders---just let it go and be who you were meant to be. My friend; the adopted son of a world that needs you; a loving husband; and a great friend to my girl."

"Your girl, Luthor?" I quip.

He looks at me, his eyes saying it all.

"Okay, I'm your girl," I say, smiling.

He then looks at Lana, who's smiling at him. "The Four Musketeers, eh?"

He nods, putting out his hand.

"To friendship."

I put my hand on his. "To Love."

Lana puts her on top of mine. "To protecting the world."

Then Clark adds his. "To forgiveness that is golden."

The End.

Further Authors Notes - Challenge Elements:

Time: slight future (a year or two after high school graduation)

Place: Metropolis where Chloe is attending college.

Pairing: Chlex

Object: A flower from the garden of the safe house.

Words:

1 - conference

2 - penniless

3 - indifferent

4 - self-involved

Esther25jm
12th July 2008, 07:05
Aww, sweetie, this was great! You had me freaking out with Chloe running in at the beginning, scared about Lex, but then you totally got me with the following scenes. Ahh, Lionel finally got his comeuppance. Hee! And I'm glad that even Mr. Kent was able to see the change in Lex and helped Clark see it, too. Loved the Chlex, hon, and the surprise appearance by Lucas. Great story!!

daria_103
13th July 2008, 03:03
It's definitely weird to see something that I played a very small part in posted in the fic section, never thought that would happen, but it's really cool - if you're ever looking for anoth challenge :) I loved that Chloe called Clark on his problem with Lex and everyone, especially his dad, backed her up.

The inclusion of Lucas is always a welcome one, especially when he and Lex are becoming a real family and Lionel is getting what he deserves. I also liked that Clark came clean about who he was and Lex, as expected, is fine with it. Great work.

lexie
13th July 2008, 04:44
As usual you´ve done a great job penning a wonderful AU one-shot. It´s so weird to see Jonathan being a nice guy to Lex for a change.

And Lionel? What a way to go! Well, he certainly deserved it.

Ami Rose
1st June 2013, 11:15
Wow that was awsome loved it