PDA

View Full Version : [Completed] "Getting My Wish" (PG-13)

PMD
6th June 2008, 03:21
This is dedicated to two good friends but I also dedicate this to all the Chlexers out there that wonder what it would be like if Clark and Lex stayed friends and what a girl will do to make it happen---and what other wonderful things happen because of what she does. Enjoy.

Title: For David And Esther - "Getting My Wish"

Author: PMD

e-mail: mary.davidson@sympatico.ca

Rating: PG-13 (Language)

Category: Friendship, Chlex, Clana, Chloe's POV, AU

Spoilers: Anything is fair game up to season 6 and nothing beyond.

Summary: Chloe wants to save a friendship.

Disclaimer: To whomever owns Smallville, its characters, Medieval Times, and Mr. Clean, I'm just borrowing them, will give them back, not making any money with them, so don't sue me.

Archive: At BT2, Electricchlex, SPP, AM's Forum, and N.S. for the time being. If anybody else wants it, all they have to do is ask.

Author Notes: This is specifically dedicated to David for his hard work in fanfic writing to keep a great friendship going, even though it's long gone from the show. And for being a great friend to us all. I also dedicate this to Esther and her incredible ability to inspire us all with her own form of artistry. I also want to thank my friend, Jay, for looking this over---you've been my oldest and dearest friend online for years and years---and yet not long enough. Enjoy.

For David And Esther - "Getting My Wish" - by PMD

Apartment of Chloe Sullivan - Bedroom

What a night.

It was my birthday and I thought that if I could get those two stubborn asses in the same room on my special day, they would behave. But oh no---the spiraling stupidity came to a head tonight and I'm so pissed at them, I could spit nails.

Uuuugh! I'm mad at myself and Lana is pissed at herself too.

You would think we would know better, bringing these two into the same room. But oh no---I thought that at least on my birthday they would behave. Boy, were we wrong.

It started out okay---we decided to take baby steps. I kept Lex in the kitchen, talking about some new recipes I had found---him helping with the punch.

Lana kept Clark busy in the crowd---talking to our friends. Then it happened.

Clark walked into the kitchen, glaring at Lex:

'You aren't putting liquor in that punch?' he asked.

Lex glanced up from his task, a droll look on his face.

'No, Clark. I wouldn't do that to Chloe.'

'What wouldn't you do to Chloe,' I heard Clark grumble.

'Excuse me!' Lex had sputtered.

'You put her in danger just being here, Lex,' Clark gritted out.

'How's that?' he asked.

'Lex, you have a bull's-eye on your back and you aren't that great anymore---as a protector or a friend,' Clark spat out.

I remember getting between the two of them, angry at both. They just glared at me.

Lana came in then, pulling Clark away. Lex glared at him.

'Chloe, I think I should go,' he stated.

I begged him not to but the words Clark spoke next was it for him:

'Yes, Chloe. Let the new MB leave and create some havoc for me to fix.'

Lex smirked at him and then sighed. He leaned in and kissed me on the cheek. He nodded to Lana and walked towards the doorway out of the kitchen. Before he exited, he turned around and Clark did the same.

'Well, if you think me so evil, I may as well do that, Clark.'

He left and I let Clark have it. He looked at me like I had sprouted horns and then finally turned away from me.

He was about to leave the room when he turned around and looked at Lana and I.

'Pick sides and pick them now, girls.'

He left behind two stunned girls until I started to tear up and Lana walked over and gave me a much needed hug.

I just wanted my two best friends to get along again. Was that too much to ask.

I guess getting my wish wasn't going to be easy but I decided that maybe a cake wish needed a little extra ummmph:

I look to the Heavens now, wrapped in the comfort of my sheets, head on my pillow. I close my eyes and whisper:

"My wish is that Lex and Clark never be enemies, but friends forever."

I close my eyes then and fall asleep.

~

The Next Morning

I wake up, yawning and stretching. And then grimacing, remembering the night before.

"Honey---time for school!"

My eyes pop. "Daddy?"

Then I look around---stunned. I'm in my old bedroom and it's decorated like I was 15 again. Oh my God---my wish did this.

My door opens and my father comes in.

"Come on, Sleepy Head. You don't want to miss the bus, do you?"

"No," I say.

He walks over and sits on the bed. "Pumpkin, are you okay? You look---bewildered."

"I am."

"About what?"

"Daddy, what day is this?"

He tells me and I smile. It's the day that Lex hit Clark---the start of everything. He hit him and then became obsessed with how he survived the dunk in the river---and how he didn't kill Clark. That's where it all went south---although it took a while to happen.

"Daddy?"

"Yes, Pumpkin?"

"I need to get up and go to school. Can you---"

"---move? Sure."

He gets up and leans in, giving me a kiss. Then he leaves the room, closing the door behind him.

Oh my God. I'm going to do this---I'm going to make sure they're friends forever. Somehow, I'm going to do it---but now to form a plan.

~

After School

Well, as painful as it was to watch Clark go up to Lana and fall flat on his butt, I now know why it happened---it was the meteor fragment around her neck.

I can't let him know but I did go up and give him a hug---trying not to say, don't give up---one day she will be yours. I couldn't let that out---I was still hurt back then that he didn't see me as a possibility. Sometimes that hurt comes back---but not as much as back then.

Now school is out and time to set the plan into motion.

Instead of taking the bus home this time, I walked away, Pete yelling at me.

I turned around, glancing at my watch, as he runs up to me.

"Where you going, Chloe?"

"I think I'll walk home."

"Want some company?"

"Pete, as much as I love you, I really need to think something through."

"A story?"

"Kinda---I'll see you tomorrow, okay?"

"Fine, leave me to the horrors of a bus ride home, with the lovey dovey couple of Lana and Whitney."

"You mean Clark won't be there?" knowing this time he's not on the bus---but playing it out like I didn't.

"Nope---he decided to walk home too. He's in the gym---working out some of his frustrations. Chloe, is there something going on between you two?"

"How can there be if he's not here, waiting to walk me home. Besides, he only has eyes for the Pink Princess."

"Unrequited love sucks, eh?" he asks me.

Wow---I don't remember that. Wait, things are changing now---I mean, I knew he knew after the dance but not before---and now I know he knew before.

Well, don't answer him, Chloe. I don't answer him---just pat him on the arm and say goodbye. He walks away and I look at my watch once more.

I look back at the school and watch as Clark walks out the door. I run to some parked cars and hide. He walks right past the cars and starts towards the river. He looks, sees nobody is around, and turns into Speedy.

Now to catch Lex coming down the road.

I start to jog down the road myself. Please, let this work.

~

A Mile Or Two From The Scene Of The Crime

I'm here---at the spot I wanted. I hear a car coming down the road.

I dirty myself and walk towards the road, putting up my hand.

The car slows down and I walk over to the passenger side. The window is rolled down and I look in, seeing a younger Lex Luthor staring at me.

"May I be of service, Miss?"

"Yes, Mr. Luthor, you can. Can I get a ride home?"

He smirks at me. "Well, you know my name so you must know my reputation. Do you really want to take a chance with me?"

I open the door and get in, placing my bag at my feet. Then I close it and look at him.

"Well, first off---I am underage and I've heard you don't flirt with Jail time that way."

"True."

"Secondly---I'm not a brunette."

His eyes widen and then he laughs. "Very observant, Miss---?"

"Chloe---Chloe Sullivan."

His eyes widen again and then he smiles. "My manager's daughter?"

I nod.

He puts out his hand. "Well, nice to meet you, Miss Sullivan."

I dust off my hand, grimacing at the dirt that comes off.

"Sorry," I state.

"Its okay---it's just dirt---easily taken care of."

I smile, shake his hand, and then take back mine. Mission accomplished, I hope. But I still have to have Lex almost get hit by that rolling road block.

"Shall we?" I ask him.

"We shall---and a little bit slower, I might add. Precious cargo here."

Good, I think, as he starts up the car again.

~

Things Change

We're driving on for a second or two when his cell goes off. He drops it and is about to go down for the thing, when I yell:

"Lex---look out!"

He sees the intrusion on the road now and deftly misses it by inches---rolling to a stop at the other side of the road.

He looks at me and lets out a sigh. "Thanks---that might have been bad for both of us."

There's a knock at his window and we look over to see Clark looking in. He winds it down and Clark looks at me.

"Are you okay, Chloe?"

I nod yes, putting on my best acting job of being shaken.

He then looks at Lex. "Who---?"

"I'm Lex Luthor."

He puts out his hand and Clark puts out his, shaking it, and then taking his hand back, as does Lex.

"Why's Chloe in your car?"

"I was helping a damsel in distress."

He smiles at Lex and then looks at me. "Want me to walk you home, Chloe?"

"Nahhh---he's harmless---hey, Lex. Why don't you offer Clark a ride back with us?"

"What will you give me?" he asks me, with a smirk.

"Well, Clark does say my lemonade is good," I snark.

"Lemonade---I haven't had that since I was 6. That's still made with real lemons, right?" he snarks back.

Ah---the verbal judo is revving up.

"Yes, I'll make it with real lemons. So, old man, what do you say?"

He smirks once more and then looks at Clark. "Hop in---I can't decline anything asked from a beautiful woman, can you?"

Clark gets into his car and looks at me. "Not me. Thanks for the ride, guys."

He shuts the door and we're off again, me smiling knowing that half the mission is done---now to get them talking and being friends.

~

Home, Sweet, Home

Lex stops the car and looks at me. I can feel Clark's eyes boring a hole in the back of my head too.

I glance back and then look at Lex. "What?"

"Back there, it felt like you knew that was going to happen."

"Oh, come on, Mr. Luthor. That would mean I would have to be psychic about bad things coming. If I knew that---I would have told my mother not to take me to Smallville on the day of the meteor shower."

"You were there?" they both sputter out.

"Yeah---were you?" I ask innocently.

"Yes," Lex answers.

"So, was I---remember, Mom and Dad found me wondering around that day, lost," Clark answers.

"Clark?" Lex says.

"What?"

"Did you have any effects from the meteors that came down that day?"

"Not that I know of. Why do you ask?"

"Just curious. I did have a breathing problem before but now it's long gone. And it went away that day."

Oh, boy. I forgot---Clark doesn't know he's super duper. He found out back then when he saved Lex from a watery grave. What's going to happen now? I think I screwed it up somehow.

Clark ponders for a moment and his eyes light up. Then soften. I can sense it---he does know he's super---he's just not ready to tell a stranger or me---even if the stranger saved me and well, I'm his best friend.

I let out a sigh. "Who would know if he got some special abilities like being able to breathe okay---since he was practically perfect, from what his parents said."

He blushes from the words and Lex just laughs. Then he looks at me. "And you?"

I sigh. "Okay---you caught me---I'm empathic and a little psychic when it comes to things. But I think it's more the Irish blood flowing through me then that meteor show. So, interrogation over? Can we go in and I'll make some lemonade?"

"After you clean yourself up," both the guys say.

I just roll my eyes and get out of the passenger side, grabbing my bag. Clark joins me on the sidewalk and Lex joins us soon after.

I hear them talking men talk behind me as we walk towards the house.

I open the front door and let them in, closing it behind them. I walk towards the stairs, after gesturing the room they are to wait in. Like they notice me---they're in a deep discussion about hockey and how it's just as brutal as football. Something about why do football players get more padding then hockey players.

I walk up the stairs---happy to see the beginning of a great friendship.

~

The Friendship of the Century Is Born

It doesn't take long for me to get cleaned up---most of the dirt ended up in Lex's car.

I walk down the steps and peek into the living room and listen:

"Lex?"

"Yes, Clark?"

"I get the feeling that my dad knows your dad?"

"Did he tell you that?"

"No---but every time he looks at his picture in the paper, he keeps saying, that stupid bastard did it again."

"That's usually the reaction he gets from people he knows or barely knows. So, which category does he fall into?"

"I don't know if it's barely or not but I get this bad feeling it was something terrible, whenever they met."

Lex sighs. "You know, it's unfair that I'm looked at like my father, because of a last name."

I watch as Clark puts his hand on Lex's and pats it. "Well, I give people a chance, no matter what their last name is. And I'll make sure my dad does the same for you too, Lex."

"Thanks, Clark; that means the world to me," Lex says, as Clark takes away his hand.

I sob and they look to where I'm standing.

"You okay, Chlo?" Clark asks me.

"Yeah, yeah, I'm fine---just got something in my eye is all. Tears help to get it out. Let me just go see if we have enough lemonade made---I might have to make more---my dad, inhales it."

"Let me help," Lex states, getting up.

"No, no; you are the guest. Sit---I'll get Clark to help me."

"Chloe---you know what happened the last time I did it."

"Ooops, sorry."

"What happened?" Lex asks.

"Ah---he kinda got lemon in his eye and it stung for a while."

Lex gets up. "Then it's settled. I have a pair of sunglasses in my pocket---I'll put them on and then I won't have to worry about lemon eye."

I roll my eyes and watch as he takes them out and puts them on. I start to laugh as he walks around, like a blind man. Who would have thought that this guy actually had a sense of humor.

Clark gets up and grabs his arm. Lex starts to chuckle and then Clark laughs too.

"Okay, funny men, if you want the lemonade before next year you come with me. And Clark---you sit---do the reading we have to do for tomorrow."

I look at Clark's face and I know, once more:

"You forgot your books, didn't you, Kent."

He nods.

I shake my head and go over to my book bag and take my text out. I walk back and hand it to him.

"Here; read mine. I guess you left them at school again."

He nods.

I snort. "Yeah, yeah, I know---blame the Lana thing again. Lex, I don't suppose---"

"I'll give him a ride over to the school after the lemonade---less time to spend with my dad."

"Thanks---Clark; read. You, Mr. Clean, come with me."

"Yes sir!" they both say, saluting me.

I just grab the cue ball and lead him into the kitchen.

~

Questions Asked And Answered

As I go into the fridge to check the lemonade, I sigh.

"Sometimes I wonder if this is all my father drinks," I state, as I bring out the nearly empty pitcher.

"Not into coffee, I see."

"No---but his daughter is."

"Coffee Hound and Lemonade Lover."

"That says it all. So, let me just get the lemons and if you could get the squeezer---it's below the oven---in that drawer."

"All right," he states.

For a few minutes we gather the stuff we need together; lemons; sugar; measuring cup; and the squeezer.

Then he starts squeezing the juice out of the lemons---very deftly, I might add.

"A pro, I see."

"I used to do this on the ranch we went to in the summers when my mother was alive."

"Ahhh," I say, watching his face light up talking about the past.

Then it goes neutral and pondering. "Chloe?"

"Yes, Lex?"

"What's a Lana thing?"

"She's this girl that Clark has a big crush on."

"Ahhh---and she's not available?"

I turn to look at him. "Not now---but I hope so someday for his sake."

I sigh, going back to measuring the sugar and adding it to the new pitcher.

I feel his hand on my arm and look at him. "Yes?"

"You have a major crush on him too."

"Yep, but if all I can have is his friendship, I'm okay with that. I just wish that he wouldn't turn into such a klutz around her."

He chuckles. "That bad?"

"He falls down every time he's around her it feels like. And he's all tongue-tied too."

"Oh oh---that isn't a crush---that's love."

"I know," I sigh.

He gives me a slight smile and then pats my back. "Don't worry---someday you'll find somebody who will only have eyes for you."

"Thanks, Lex. And you'll find somebody too---who can drive your father crazy."

"From your lips to God's ears," he says, before going back to the lemons.

Just as long as your friends with Clark, Lex, I'll give up my dream of being anything but a friend to Clark. That's how much I love you two guys in the past, present and future.

~

Time To Go Home

I pick up the pitcher, all finished, and watch the guys, talking.

"Clark, you have to be a man and look for your chance to get the fair maiden."

"Gee, Lex, did you just come out of Medieval Times or something."

He chuckles. "Well, living in a castle sometimes I feel I'm still there---especially with that room of Father's with the weapons."

"Sounds like a very interesting home, Lex. I would love to see it sometime."

"Gentlemen---I believe it's time."

"Time for what, Chlo?"

"For you and Lex to head back to the school and pick up your books, Clark."

He jumps up. "Oh, right, books---homework. I forgot."

"Talking about Lana really does make you lose sense of anything else, doesn't it Clark?" Lex states, with a grin.

"I---I---I just can't help how I feel about her."

Lex looks over at me and I just give him a slight, resigned, smile and hope it's enough to portray the feeling that I felt in this past I'm in.

"That's okay, Clark. Someday you'll get her---I just know it," I state.

"Psychic meteor vision?" Lex asks me.

"Maybe," I say enigmatically.

Lex gets up and walks towards me. I place the pitcher down and he takes one of my hands. "A very pleasant afternoon, Miss Sullivan. Next time, coffee at my place?"

I nod and gasp as he kisses my hand. Oh God---this is just so---I don't know---civilized?

I smile at him. "Only if Clark can come too. I think he really does want to see that place of yours. And I would love to write about it in the school newspaper, if that's okay?"

I gulp at the look on his face and then it softens. "You're a reporter?"

"Ooops, didn't I mention that?"

"No."

"Sorry."

He has this look on his face like he's hatching a plot. Clark walks over, standing close to me, looking at him, wonderingly.

"What plot are you hatching, Mr. Luthor?" I ask.

"Having a reporter as a friend would drive my father wild."

Clark and I start to laugh and he joins in soon after.

I say my goodbye's to Clark and then the two of them leave.

I close the door, knowing somehow, this friendship is on more steady ground. Maybe it will save Lex from the heartache he had in the past---or if he still goes through it, Clark will be there for him, helping him through it.

~

Bedtime

I look up at the ceiling and hear the door open. My father walks in and smiles at me.

"I hear you had some excitement today."

"Excitement?"

He comes over and sits on my bed, as I sit up against my pillows.

"Lex called. He said he wanted to thank you for saving your butts by giving you a new car."

"And you said?"

"I said nothing---here's the phone."

He hands me the phone and:

"Hello Lex."

'Miss Sullivan.'

"So, what's this about a car with my name on it?"

'Just a little token of my appreciation.'

"Lex, I don't want your car."

'Why not?'

"Because I want something else."

'My condo in Hawaii?'

I chuckle at that and then smile, looking up at my father. I mouth, 'want a condo in Hawaii' and he mouths, 'no'.

'Chloe---you still there?'

"Oh, so its Chloe now, is it?" I quip.

'As long as I'm Lex to you.'

"Deal---and no deal with the condo either. What I want is pure and simple---your friendship."

'Really? No money, fame, fortune, no vehicles at all?'

"Nope---your friendship is more precious to me than anything. So, what do you say?"

'All right---but what does that entail?'

"Well, if I need help or you need help, we're there for each other. We can bounce off ideas off of each other---heck, we can get Clark to finally come forward and tell Lana how he feels if Whitney is ever out of the picture."

'And?'

"And if you are really nice you can come over for Sunday Brunch once in a while. And if you ever need to talk to somebody outside of needing help---just feel lonely, I'm your gal, pal."

'And you feel the need to talk---I'm here for you too. So, friends?'

"Always."

My father clears his throat and I look at him. Then:

"Lex, I have school tomorrow and as sparkling as the conversation has been---"

'You need to go to bed now. All right, I'll let you go. Talk to you later, Chloe. Sweet dreams.'

"Sweet dreams be yours too, Lex. Night."

'Good night.'

I hear the click and hand the phone to my father, who leans over and kisses me on the cheek.

He gives me a smile and I return it. Then he walks to the door and closes it behind him.

I lie back down and fall into a deep and peaceful sleep, hoping I'm really getting my wish that will last long into the future; friendship between him and Clark---and now a bonus---a stronger one between the two of us.

~

Morning Comes

I wake up, stretching again and yawning, afraid to open my eyes. Will I still be in the past or in the present---and will that present have changed for the best or for the worst---or be the same.

There's silence in the room.

"Dad?"

Nothing.

Then I smell it---coffee---fresh brewed---with a hint of vanilla spice to it. Dad's only into regular coffee, if he drinks it at all.

I open my eyes and look around the room---boxes---either I'm moving or I just arrived.

It's my apartment for sure, though. Same room---same furnishings---except for the boxes, all is the same. Did I not come back to the same time---the day after my birthday wish?

There's a knock at my door.

"Come in."

It opens and Lana comes in with a steaming cup of coffee.

"Good morning, Sleepy Head. Have a nice day after birthday sleep in."

"Lana, why are there boxes in my room?"

"You expect the movers to carry your clothes and stuff in their arms, silly?" she asks, placing the mug on the table beside my bed.

She sits on the side of the bed and smiles. "You okay?"

"Yes."

"Guess you are just a little overwhelmed with moving in with the boyfriend, eh?"

"I'm moving in with Jimmy?" I thought I broke up with him.

"Jimmy who?" I hear a male voice ask.

I look up and see Lex standing there, an apron on. I start to giggle and he stands there sternly.

"Who's Jimmy?" he growls.

"Ah---I'll let you two talk about this. Clark and I will keep the pancakes warmed."

She gets up and walks past Lex, who's taken off the apron and hands it to her.

She closes the door and he walks over to me, staring.

"Who's Jimmy?" he asks, softer now.

"Nobody."

"A nobody who's making time with my girl."

I'm Lex's girl---when did this happen?

"Chloe?" brings me out of my thoughts.

I look at him, a concerned look on his face.

"Are you having second thoughts?"

"No, no---I'm just a little disoriented is all---you know how I am in the morning, before my first cup of coffee."

He leans over to get my cup and hands it to me. "Yes I do---personally."

I snort at that and take a sip. Then I hand it back to him and he puts it on the table again.

"Lex?"

"Yes?"

"Can I ask how this happened? How we became boyfriend and girlfriend---and well, moving in together."

He looks at me, concerned. "Sweetheart---did you hit your head on the head board?"

I smile at him. "Just humor me, will you."

"Okay. Well, we started off as friends but it changed after I asked for your help in taking down my father---and you asked me to help you get out of that agreement with him."

"Yes---and---"

"Well, when Clark and I want to rescue you when you were taken from the safe house---I promised myself that I would tell you how much that summer in hiding meant to me. And I did---but you weren't ready yet. It wasn't until I almost died from a gunshot wound that you figured out you were---you are in love with me. But we took it slow and now is the next step. But if you are unsure---if this Jimmy---"

Before he can say another word, I stop him with a look. Then I sigh.

"Lex---Jimmy is nothing to me. An old friend at The Planet---remember that summer when I was an intern there?"

"Yes."

"Well, that's where I met him."

"But you said Jimmy when Lana mentioned you were moving in with your boyfriend."

I sigh. "I thought she meant a boy as a friend--like maybe I was moving in with him, as a roommate. But I think I would rather move in with you, instead."

He smiles at me and leans in, kissing me softly on the lips.

Our first kiss, as far as I'm concerned---but then the memories of my life now and in the past, come flowing back. Like the time where Lex and Clark are enemies never existed and never would.

He backs away and I smile. "You and Helen never married."

"Moved in but it didn't work---she drove me crazy with questions about you---even demanded we stop being friends."

"And you said, pack up or I'll dump your clothes into the pool?"

He chuckles. "Just about."

I close my eyes and search my mind again. I open them and smile.

"We got your father and he never got out of jail---he had a heart attack and died there."

"Right."

"And you and Clark are best friends---in fact, Clark suggested you and Helen live together to see if you worked."

"You know, Chloe, as much as I love this walk down memory lane, we have a brunch to do, before the movers arrive at 2."

"A brunch to do? I mean, it's just us and Clark and Lana, right?"

"And Mr. and Mrs. Kent---and your father."

"Really? Won't they cramp the kissing stylings of Clark and Lana?"

He chuckles. "There's always the bathroom."

I snort at that. "Okay, enough about them---you, leave---I have to get dressed."

He gets up. "Okay---just hurry up---they should be here soon."

"Extra help for the move, I take it?"

"That and they wanted to be here for us all. After all, Clark and Lana are moving into his apartment in Metro."

"Wow---he took a page from your book---I'm glad."

He looks at me and grins. "You are happy for them."

"Yes."

"So, I was right---one day this guy would come along who would only have eyes for you."

"Yes and he understands me more than I understand myself."

"Does that creep you out?"

"No---because I understand him more then he understands himself."

He laughs and leans down, kissing me once more. Then he leaves the room and now to get dressed.

~

Family And Friends Gather Around Us

I'm walking out of the bedroom and see them busily setting up the table.

I remember now---I'm moving with Lex back to the mansion and not the condo. I decided that I would rather be a reporter in a small town with weird occurrences---then report on Clark all the time. That can get boring after a while.

And evidently Clark and Lana are moving in together in his Metro apartment.

"Hey, Chlo."

I smile at one of my best friends. "Hey, Clark---any saves last night?"

"Quiet night---good thing---I don't think I would have survived or kept a girlfriend if I wasn't at your party. So, you excited?"

"About what?" I quip.

He shakes his head and looks at Lex. "You sure you want her?"

Lex looks at me and then back at Clark. "Right from the beginning, my friend."

I smile at their interaction, thankful that I saved their friendship and gained something more too.

I mean, going from friends to something more With Lex didn't seem possible in that other---what---timeline? But here, it felt so natural since our friendship was more solid at the beginning.

The doorbell rings and I go over to answer it.

"Daddy---Mr. and Mrs. Kent---welcome to brunch and then the work detail."

They walk in, giving me a hug and then the others.

I smile at the interactions between Lex and Mr. Kent. It's nice to see that Clark convinced him that Lex was more Lex than a Luthor---although, I'm remembering he is still a hard ass competitor when it comes to business for---Lexcorp. He went back to Lexcorp. And my father is his second in command.

And Mrs. Kent runs the charity division, with the help of Lana. And Mr. Kent isn't dead. He's not dead---I changed some more things---for the better.

"Mr. Kent?"

He looks over from where he's standing with Lex and Clark. "Yes, Chloe?"

"It's good to see you."

"It's good to see you too---all of you. I'm sorry Martha and I didn't make the party but you know--business calls. Being the Mayor of Metropolis really has its perks and its downfalls."

He's the Mayor---that's interesting.

"So, you don't regret me suggesting you run, Mr. Kent?" Lex asks.

"Not in the least. I loved farming but I can do good work here too---and with my colleague in Smallville."

"Yes, my father really does make a great Mayor of Smallville," Lana states.

Father---wait---of course; Mr. Small. Mayor Small of Smallville - interesting too.

Wow, talk about getting a lot of input at once. I feel a little dizzy with it.

"Hey, hold on there, Sweetheart. Mrs. Kent---"

I feel a hand on my arm and I'm walked over to the couch. I sit and somebody sits beside me.

"You okay, Honey?" Mrs. Kent asks.

I look at her. "Better than okay---I'm getting my wish."

"What wish is that?"

They all look at me and I answer as truthfully as I can:

"Having you all here for this special day."

"And we'll always be here, Chloe," Clark states.

"And you and Lex will always be friends?"

"Sure---best friends."

"And you and I will always be together?" I ask Lex.

"Well, nobody can put up with my traits as well as you can."

"Gee, that's romantic."

He sits beside me and kisses my cheek. Then:

"You had my attention right from the start and hold my heart in your hand."

"Now, that's romantic---I love you, Lex."

"Good, because I've had lust thrust upon me and I never want it again."

He leans in again, kissing me on the lips. Then he backs away and gets up.

"Okay---brunch everybody. And eat fast---we've got to get the dishes into boxes afterwards and the movers are coming at 2."

Mrs. Kent gets up and smiles at me.

"I'll be there in a sec," I state.

She nods and joins the others, setting out the pancakes and then sitting down.

But Lex comes back to me and sits down.

"What?" I ask him, an enigmatic look on his face.

"Close your eyes and turn away from me."

I do and sense him putting something on me---a pendent around my neck.

"Open them."

I do and look down at a pendent---a vial. I lift it up and stare into---dirt? Then it hits me. I look at him.

"This 'the' dirt---from our first car ride together?"

"None other. I was going to give it to you last night but I thought it would be better in a crowd that understands its meaning."

Oh God; a remembrance of our first meeting---could the man be more romantic or sentimental?

"Oh, Lex---this is just the most perfect gift ever. It came from your heart. Thank you," I say before I hug him and then give him a deep kiss.

"Ahhem," brings us back to reality and I start to blush, as we pull apart.

They all smile at us as we get up and join them, me sitting beside Lex.

"Okay---who wants to say grace?" Lex asks.

"I'd like to say something a little different---could I?" I ask.

"The woman of my heart has the floor."

I smile and then:

"Thank you for allowing us this time together for its precious and few in times like this. Also, whomever up there that smiled on me last night---thank you for allowing my wish to come true and making it come out even better than I ever thought it would come out. Amen."

They look at me curiously and then smile. I just give them one back and then look at him.

"You'll tell me one day, right?"

"I promise."

My birthdays come and go but this one will always be special because of getting my wish---Clark and Lex friends forever. And gaining something I never thought I would get---a deeper friendship and falling in love with Lex.

The End.

daria_103
7th June 2008, 22:54
That was lovely, it's so cute that Lex kept a reminder from their first meeting. I'd love to see more of this reality, see Lex and Chloe's friendship through the years, see them getting together and how all the other Smallville events played out but the fic stands perfectly on its own aswell.

I love that Chloe would go to any lengths to keep Lex and Clarks friendship together and that she got a big reward for her efforts. This was a really enjoyable, lovely read.

ChloeLovesLex
7th June 2008, 23:33
I just love happy endings :)
Wouldn't it have been something if that is how it went? *sigh*
Great job hon.

hfce
8th June 2008, 05:52
What a great story. I loved how Chloe changed things. Great job girl. :)

karila
10th June 2008, 13:14
I loved it!
Sometimes little things can change everything.

Esther25jm
11th June 2008, 03:35
Aww, sweetie, this is fantastic and so sweet!! Thanks so much!! *hugs* I love that Chloe was able to fix the mess that became of Lex and Clark's friendship and also gaining a relationship with Lex. Ahh, if only, right? You did a great job with the story, hon, loved it!!

starmoon
9th May 2011, 03:48
i really like this story it was sweet and fun to read.

PMD
10th May 2011, 02:25
i really like this story it was sweet and fun to read.

So glad you enjoyed it. : ) I certainly had fun writing it. : ) More to come, when my muse gets tired of reading paranormal romances. : )

cosmicpinay80
5th June 2011, 20:00
Awwww this so sweet and cute! :)

Ami Rose
4th August 2012, 06:51
Awww that was so cute loved it