PDA

View Full Version : A Spooky Mother's Day (PG-13, Updated 05/23/08)

PMD
23rd May 2008, 03:41
This is a continuation of sorts in regards to my original characters---Lizzy and her baby brother, who was born in the Halloween piece I did. Enjoy.

Title: Mother's Day Fic - "A Spooky Mother's Day"

Author: PMD

e-mail: mary.davidson@sympatico.ca

Rating: PG-13

Category: Friendship, Chlex Married, Clana Married, Lex and Chloe's POV's, AU

Spoilers: Anything is fair game up to season 6.

Summary: Lex gets closure.

Disclaimer: To whomever owns Smallville, its characters, Mother's Day, Sting, Sheryl Crow, and the lyrics to Always On Your Side, I'm just borrowing them, will give them back, not making any money with their use in this piece, so don't sue me.

Archive: At BT2, Electricchlex, SPP, N.S. Forums, and AM's Forum, for the time being. If anybody else wants it, all you have to do is ask.

Author Notes: Thanks goes to a good friend, Milwaukee, for giving me the title for this piece. Thanks, Dude. And to Jay for looking this puppy over. And David and Esther, who have inspired me by their contributions to Chlex. Enjoy.

Mother's Day Fic - "A Spooky Mother's Day" - by PMD

Chloe's POV

Prologue: A mother's love never dies, even when they do. But a child's need for closure, makes it even that more painful, after they're gone.

~

Jamie's Room - The Luthor Mansion

It's the day before Mother's Day and I know that Lex wants me to have a great time tomorrow but I can feel his pain---the fact that he misses his mother so much. But also the fact that the MB never gave him a chance for closure.

He allowed the boy to think he could find a cure for his mother's ails right to the end. So, Lex never got the chance to say goodbye. Not even at the funeral. His father even denied him that, saying he was too young. Which was a crock of bull. But he had the power to keep him away, so keep him away, he did.

"Mommy?"

I turn away from doing Jamie's bottom and watch as my sad daughter walks in.

Her eyes are as expressive as her fathers---a watery blue at the moment---tears close to coming.

"What is it, Sweetie?" I ask, as I turn back and finish with Jamie.

She stands by me now, putting her finger out for Jamie to touch and I smile. No sibling rivalry here---at least not for the moment. Nope, these two will be there for each other---and won't be turned against the other either. Lionel's legacy of mistrust and darkness has left this building.

I put on his diaper and then watch as she moves away from him, patting his head.

I pick him up and place him in his crib. Then I give him a sweet kiss.

"Have a nice sleep, Jamie," she says.

He's such a good boy---he listens to his big sister, as he gives her a smile and closes his eyes.

I lead her to the door and close it slightly. Then I lead her down a ways to a bench in the corridor.

We sit and I wait for her to answer---never good to pull it out of any Luthor---even half a Luthor.

"Mommy?"

I give her a slight smile. "Yes, Sweetie?"

"Daddy's so sad---I wish I could take it away."

I pull her into my arms. "I know; I wish I could too."

She sobs and I feel the tears coming too.

You don't have to be empathic to know the pain Lex is going through, thanks to his father once more. And the fact that the people he loves can't lift him out of it, attests to how deep it goes.

She backs away after a few moments and wipes her face.

"Sorry, Mommy. I know how---"

"No, sweetie. Don't ever be sorry. Grampa Lionel doesn't like that but your Daddy would never be like that. He believes in showing his emotions."

"Thanks to you and his friends."

"And you too, Sweetie. You know, he changed when he met me and Clark. But it was cemented the day you were born."

"He was happy?"

"Oh, that's the understatement of the year."

"But he was sad too?"

"A little---he wished that his Mommy could have been there to see it."

"But she did."

My eyes widen. "What?"

"Don't you believe that people above watch us, Mommy?"

"Hmmmm---hopefully not when we're undressing," I quip.

"Mommy!"

"Yeah, you're right---they would look away because they are good people."

She nods and then her eyes ponder.

"What are you thinking, Daughter of mine?"

"Does Aunt Lana still talk to dead people?"

"I think soooo---oh!"

My eyes widen and then I smile. "Of course---she can talk to your grandmother---maybe even channel her."

She nods her head.

"Great idea, Lizzy."

"Well, I am my mother and father's daughter," she quips.

I give her a hug and then back away.

"Okay---we've got to make sure Daddy doesn't find out about this."

"You want me to distract him, Mommy?"

"Yes, I guess you better. The last time I distracted him well---the proof is in your brothers room."

"Mommy---ewww!"

"I thought you got over that stuff."

"Kisses I can live with---that other stuff---ewww."

I smile brightly and she just rolls her eyes.

"Sooooo---I'll go keep Daddy busy while you go call Aunt Lana."

"Yes. Just hope she and Uncle Clark have nothing planned for tomorrow."

"Nawwww---I think Mother's Day is a slow day for that hero."

"Probably. So---"

"Off I go to get Daddy smiling," she states, getting off the couch.

I get off and give her a kiss on the cheek and watch her run towards her Father's study. Oh please, let this work.

~

Lex's Study

Lex's POV

I stand, looking out the window---sighing sadly. I won't cry---I just won't cry---I have to be strong. I have to get beyond this melancholy. It's a happy day tomorrow for Chloe because she gave birth to some pretty special kids and showed me that I am a good father and husband. I won't let her down again, like I have in the distant past.

"Daddy, can I come in? I have a problem."

"Sure, Pumpkin," I state, not turning around.

I hear her walk in and listen to her walk over to the couch and sit.

I turn around and give her a smile, that doesn't quite reach my eyes.

"So, what is the problem, my princess?"

She sighs, slumping down on the couch.

I walk over and sit beside her, pulling her into a one armed hug.

"Daddy---I'm sad."

I pull away to look at her face.

"Why are you sad, Lizzy?"

"I'm sad because you're sad."

My eyes widen and then soften. "Because Daddy misses his Mommy?"

She nods.

"Well, there's not much either of us can do about that."

"I know---thanks to Grandpa Duffus."

I give her a small smile. "Yes, thanks to Grandpa Duffus."

I pull her in again. "Honey, thank you for showing me that I am a good father---that I'm not your Grandpa Duffus. You know, I was really excited the day you came into our lives."

"I know, Mommy told me. She also said you were a little sad because your Mommy wasn't around to see it. But, Daddy, maybe she was watching from above."

I sigh. "Maybe. But I still wish she was there."

"I know---me too."

~

Meanwhile - Lex and Chloe's Bedroom

Chloe's POV

Come on Lana---please be home and not out window shopping with your mother in law. Please, please, please, be home.

The phone rings 6 times before I finally get my answer:

'Hello?'

"Lana! Thank God!"

'Chloe---Chloe, what's wrong?'

"It's Lex."

'What---is he hurt?'

I sob.

'Chloe---what's wrong?'

"It's just that it's that time of the year again and his pain is like a knife to the heart---and I wish it was Lionel's heart it was stabbing into. But does Lionel even have a heart---and well---"

'Slow down. Okay, Lex is missing his mother again and you want to take a knife to Lionel's heart?"

"Yes and yes---but a figurative knife, not a literal one."

'How can we help?'

Oh, thank God for my best girlfriend.

"Well, Lizzy came up with this idea---"

~

Mother's Day - Morning - Luthor Bedroom

Lex's POV

I look at my sleeping wife and smile. I wish that I didn't have to wake her up but its brunch time---time to lavish even more love on her, with the help of Lizzy and Jamie.

I lean in to kiss her neck.

Nothing.

I lean up and blow in her ear and get a swat with her hand.

"Chloe!"

She turns to look at me. "What?"

"How long have you been awake?"

"Oh, I'd say about half an hour or so. I was wondering when you would stop staring and try to wake me up."

Before I can say a word there's a knock at the door.

"Come in," Chloe shouts.

The door opens and in runs our little bundle of energy. She jumps on the bed and inches up to her mother and me.

"Happy Mother's Day, Mommy!"

She hugs her and I smile. She backs away and looks at me.

"Do I get a hug too, Pumpkin?"

"Daddy it's not Father's Day."

"But Mommy gets a hug on Father's Day," my diplomatic wife says.

Lizzy looks at her and then me. Then she shrugs and falls into my open arms.

We hug for a second or two and then she backs away.

"Come on---it's time for the surprise!" she shouts, getting off the bed and running to the door.

She turns around. "Didn't you hear me?" she asks, hands on her hips.

"Yes, we did, Sweetie," Chloe states.

"Well, then come on, slow pokes," she says, walking out the door, slamming it behind her.

"What surprise?" I ask my wife.

"How should I know---it's Mother's Day."

"Chloe!"

She sighs. "I can never lie to you, Lex."

"No, you can't. What's the surprise?"

She gets out of bed, grabbing her robe and making it to our bathroom quickly. But before she walks in, she turns around:

"It wouldn't be a surprise if I told you."

She slams the door to a very exasperated man. But she's right---just can't let her know that.

~

Half An Hour Later - The Study

After she used the bathroom, making herself pretty---although she's always pretty---I used it.

Now we're almost to the study. I stop her outside of the door and she looks at me.

"What?"

"Is this a good surprise?"

She sighs and gives me a hug, whispering, "It will be if it works."

She backs away and gives me a kiss. Then she takes my hand and opens the door, leading me in.

"Lana, Clark, Mr. and Mrs. Kent---what are you guys doing here?" I ask.

"Well, Mr. Kent and I are going to baby sit Jamie," Mrs. Kent states, looking over at the carriage.

I walk over to it and look down at our son. "So, you're going to visit the farm---what a lucky boy."

He gurgles at me and I lean down and give him a kiss on the cheek.

I then back away and look at the other two. "So---"

"Lex, I'm here for moral support and well---"

I look at Clark and then Lana. Then I glance at my wife. "What's going on?"

"Daddy, Aunt Lana is going to help you get---what's the word, Mommy?"

"Closure, Sweetie. Closure."

My eyes widen. "What?"

"Lex, my wife and yours are going to help you get closure in regards to your mother," Clark answers.

My eyes stare at him until it hits me. "Lana talks to the dead."

He nods his head.

"And she can talk to my mother?"

He nods again.

"But before she can do it, I think Jonathan and I should get Jamie and Lizzy out of here."

"Nooooo---I want to be here. It was my idea."

My daughter gives us a classic Clark puppy dog look and I sigh. "Let my daughter stay."

"Are you sure, Sweetie?" Chloe asks her.

"I'm a brave girl."

"Of course you are. Okay---you can stay."

For a few minutes we hug and say our goodbyes to the Kents and Jamie. As I lead them out, Jonathan takes me aside and gives me another hug, whispering:

"Lex, I hope this does give you closure but if it doesn't, just know this. Your mother would be so proud of you---because I am."

He backs away and I know, he believes in me. He once didn't but it gradually changed to the point that I'm not a Luthor to him anymore---I'm just Lex.

He shakes my hand and leaves the room with his wife.

I turn to the people still there. "Well, let's get this party started, shall we?"

~

Closure For Lex

The doors are closed. We're sitting around the coffee table---two chairs on one side---the couch on the other.

Lana's eyes are closed. My wife's hands are on her's, her empathic ability helping her focus and reach out to my mother's spirit.

Lana's eyes open suddenly and she smiles. "She's here---and she has a surprise for you, Lex."

I look into Lana's eyes that are sparkling with energy. Than at my wife across from me, who's smiling.

"A big surprise."

I give her the classic smirk and she grins. "Really big and here it comes."

The room is silent. I feel a little cold. I shiver, not sure if it's the temperature or anticipation. Then the room brightens and I look at where it's coming from. I stand up, Clark doing the same, holding onto my arm to make sure I don't fall back on the couch.

"Lex, it's really big," he says.

I turn to smile at him and then back at the light. The girls have now turned around to watch and I sense their smiles.

"It worked---even better than I thought," Lana states.

"Like it wouldn't with the both of us doing it---but yeah, even better than I thought too," Chloe says.

I leave the three and walk towards the light.

I hear footsteps behind me and she's there by my side. "Happy Early Father's Day, Lex," she whispers, as the light takes shape.

My eyes widen and I feel Chloe take my hand and squeeze it.

"Mom?"

The image before me smiles---it's shimmering but it's her; it's my mother.

"Lex," she says.

I let go of Chloe's hand, reach out to her, and then she solidifies.

I hear a gasp beside me and I look at her. "You didn't expect this?"

"No---I thought a ghost but she's solid."

I look back at my mother; her smile there from long ago---before she killed Julian---before she was so battered and bruised.

"Lex," she says, opening her arms to me.

"Mom," I say before I walk towards her and into her arms.

I'm safe---I feel it. In this room---surrounded by a friend I lost once upon a time and gained back again. A super friend who helped save me from myself.

To his wife, who helped this come about---who didn't trust me at one point but forgave me what happened between us and we became what we were always meant to be---comrades in fighting evil and looking after the ones we loved.

To my wife---my life---my love. She is a very special gift---the strength and courage to hate me and then love me again. To finally not listen to the fools and cads who said I was my father. For she helped me not to be him.

And our daughter within this room---and our son without. They proved how different I am from my father. They will love and protect each other; not be expected to battle each other.

To my mother's arms---I remember long ago before the upheaval and strife. How I would leave a room after a talking to from my father. How she would lead me to the kitchen and get out the ice cream. Then we would talk and after I got it out, she would hug me and then we would sing a song. That always seemed to make things right, until the next time with my father and it would start all over again.

"Lex?" I hear behind me.

I back away. "Mother, I would like you to meet my passion and conscious."

Chloe comes forward. "Well, more like I keep his mind tuned with our verbal judo."

My mother laughs and takes her hand. "Pleased to finally meet you, Chloe."

"Likewise," my wife says.

She takes her hand away and then looks at me, somberly.

"Lex, remember that dream you had long ago?"

"At Christmas?"

"Yes, that one. It didn't come from me. It came from the darkest part of your psyche, helped along by a witch that Lana killed. She wanted you to suffer---but she picked the wrong person for you to suffer for."

"But at that point, I didn't know I loved Chloe. I just---"

"You just wanted to hurt me, Lex," I hear Clark state, walking up to us.

"Mother, I would like you to meet---"

"---your best friend, Clark. Young man, thank you."

She takes his hand and they shake. Then she looks over at Lana and smiles.

"And thank you for sending for me, young lady."

Lana walks over. "My pleasure."

She takes her hand and places it over Clark. "You both will do wonderful things for this world."

They nod their understanding. She takes her hand away and places one on mine and one on Chloes.

"You were destined to be together, right from the start. You meet lifetime, after lifetime. And the last time you met, was the final piece to the puzzle that would lead to this happiness."

"Grandma?"

Lizzy walks up to join us. Mother takes her hand's off ours, gets down to her level, and gives her a hug.

Lizzy backs away and looks at me. "Daddy, you have closure now?"

"Almost."

Mother gets up and looks at me. "You want me to stay---I can't, Lex."

"I know. I just---I want to ask if you can do one thing for me, Mom."

"Yes?"

"I want to sing with you, just once more. And then I'll let you go."

"I never want you to let me go, Lex. Just have some closure so you can heal. Never forget me---just forgive me what I did and move on from this sadness at this time of the year."

I open my arms to her and she walks into them. "I already forgive you, Mom. Forgive yourself, please."

I feel a tear or two rolling down my shirt and I don't know if it's me or her---or both of us.

I back away and she brushes away my tears and then her own.

"So, what song shall it be, Mother?"

She smiles at me. "Son, do you know Alway's On My Side?"

"Sheryl and Sting?" I ask.

She nods.

"You know that song?"

"Well, we do get to hear things up in Heaven. And no---we don't watch certain things down here. Intimacy is cherished on Earth and in Heaven."

"That's good to hear, Mrs. Luthor," Chloe says.

"Lillian, please."

Chloe smiles. "You know, Lex always got on me early in our relationship. I seemed to always call him Mr. Luthor at first---and then he would say, Lex, please. Guess the apple doesn't fall far from the tree."

She laughs. "She is just so perfect for you, Lex."

I pull Chloe into a one armed hug. "Yes, I think I'll keep her."

My mother rolls her eyes and I sense her doing the same.

"So, shall I play the piano or you?" I ask my mother.

"My piano playing is rusty---you do it, Son."

I back away from Chloe and take her hand. The other is for Lizzy. I look at Clark and Lana and gesture they come too.

Then all six of us walk over to the piano.

I sit on the bench and my mother joins me. I look at her and then the others standing around the instrument.

"Ready?"

They nod. And I start to play:

"My yesterdays are all boxed up
And neatly put away
Every now and then you come to mind
'Cause you were always waiting
To be picked to play the game
But when your name was called
You found a place to hide
When you knew that I was always on your side

Well everything was easy then,
So sweet and innocent
But my demons and my angels reappeared
Leavin' only traces of the man you thought I'd be
Too afraid to hear the words I'd always feared
Leavin' you with only questions all these years

But is there someplace far away
Someplace where all is clear
Easy to start over
With the ones you hold so dear
Or are you left to wonder
All alone, eternally
This isn't how it's really meant to be
No it isn't how it's really meant to be

Well they say that love is in the air
Never is it clear,
Try to pull it close and make it stay
Butterflies are free to fly
And so they fly away
And I'm left to carry on and wonder why
Even through it all, I'm always on your side

But is there someplace far away,
Someplace where all is clear
Easy to start over
With the ones you hold so dear
Or are you left to wonder,
All alone, eternally
When this isn't how it's really meant to be
No it isn't how it's really meant to be

Well they say that love is in the air,
Never is it clear
How to pull it close and make it stay
Butterflies are free to fly,
why do they fly away
Leavin' me to carry on and wonder why
Was it you that kept me wandering through this life
When you know that I was always on your side"

As I finish on the piano, I look around to see not a dry eye in the place---even Clark is welling up.

I look at my mother and give her a hug.

"I've got to go."

"I know."

"But I'll always be near you and yours, Lex. I'll always protect you from the darkness as much as your friends and family do."

"As I protect them too, Mom," I whisper, pulling away from her.

She looks at Chloe. "Thank you for loving him, despite his faults and failings."

"Nobody's prefect---least of all, me," she quips.

"Humor is the best medicine, besides love."

She turns to Lana and Clark. "Thank you for forgiving him and loving him like a brother."

Lana leans into Clark, tears coming down. She mouths, 'you're welcome' and he smiles.

"Sometimes it was hard but even an alien can be a pain in the butt----why can't a human."

I shake my head and watch as she looks at Lizzy---who's been by her side all the time.

"And you?"

"Yes?"

"You really showed your father he's not his father. You and your brother have both done that but you started it. Thank you for inviting me into this spooky Mother's Day gathering. I love you, Honey."

"I love you too, Grandma."

They hug and then she turns back to me. "I have to go, my precious one. But I'll always be in your heart and on your side."

We hug and I can feel the tears that stayed the flow when my father was around and fell biddingly, when she was there.

"I love you, Mom."

"I love you too, Alex."

I back away and she touches my cheek. I smile through the tears.

She gets up and walks into the center of the room, waving at all of us as she disappears.

I get up and Lizzy joins Chloe in a big hug from me, and a whisper, "Thank you for helping me get closure."

They back away and I look at my friends, who've joined us.

Lana and Clark hug me.

"Thank you for not giving up on me and helping me to get that closure, Lana."

I sense her nod.

I back away and look at the guy who saved me all those years ago---and still is.

"Thank you for being my friend now, no matter what."

He just smiles at me and nods.

"Daddy?"

"Yes, sweetie?"

"Can Mommy open her presents now."

I chuckle. "Oh, right, this is Mother's Day---not Father's Day."

Chloe snorts at me. "You would think it was the opposite but then, Lillian got closure too, on this Spooky Mother's Day."

I nod and watch as the door opens and the others walk in.

Mother's Day is always important in this household, as much as Father's Day is. But this day, a combination was brought to life, in a Spooky Mother's Day.

The End.

hfce
24th May 2008, 03:45
Aww that was so sweet. Chlex daughter is so cute and such a combo of her parents. :)

Esther25jm
24th May 2008, 06:53
I saw this was posted and had to review. Oh, hon, it made me cry again. Love that you gave Lex closure with his mother and happiness with Chloe and their kids. Such a sweet story, sweetie! *hugs* Loved it!

starmoon
27th May 2008, 03:34
i love this story and chloe and lex's daughter is so sweet and cute. she is just perfect.

Ami Rose
1st June 2013, 12:52
Amazing I almost cried. Great story.