PDA

View Full Version : Sequel to 'They Tell Me' - "Trust My Heart Once More" (PG-13) 04/05/2008

PMD
5th April 2008, 20:51
Here's the sequel. Enjoy.

Title: Sequel to 'They Tell Me' - "Trust My Heart Once More"

Author: PMD

e-mail: mary.davidson@sympatico.ca

Rating: PG-13

Category: Friendship, Chlex, Lex's POV, AU

Spoilers: Anything up to season 6.

Summary: Chloe and Lex have a talk.

Disclaimer: To whomever owns Smallville, its characters, the sentence from a fairy tale, and Snow White, I'm just borrowing them, will give them back, not making any money with their use in this piece so don't sue me.

Archive: At BT2, Electricchlex, SPP, AM's Forum, and N.S. for the time being. If anybody else wants it, all they have to do is ask.

Author Notes: This is dedicated to all who asked for the sequel and to Jay for looking it over. Also, a special dedication to David, who was there when it was born---egging my muse on. Thanks, dude. : ) Enjoy.

Sequel to 'They Tell Me' - "Trust My Heart Once More" - by PMD

~

Outside of the Luthor Mansion

I get out of my expensive car, that will need some cleaning out of the negative ions from somebody tomorrow. Lex, you really know how to pick them.

I lock it and walk up the steps to the door, fuming inside. How does this happen? Why does this happen?

I look up to the Heavens and growl, "God, do you not like me anymore?"

I look straight ahead. No, don't blame this on him---this is probably the Devils way of playing with me.

I sigh and take out my key, unlocking the door and opening it to my manservant, James, waiting for me. He gives me a slight smile and then a solemn one, at the look on my face.

"It didn't go well, I take it, Sir."

"Not in the least. I'm going to bed."

I start towards the stairs when he clears his throat. I turn around. "What---you don't have to turn down my bed. I'm a big boy now."

"I know that, Sir. It's just that---"

"Yes? What is it---spit it out, Man."

"There's somebody waiting for you, Sir."

I sigh. "Clark---please tell me it's not him, James. I just can't deal with his Lana problems at the moment."

"No sir---it's a young lady."

I sigh again. "I can't deal with Lana and her Clark problems either."

"No sir---it's your friend, Chloe."

I perk up and than groan. "Oh God---please tell me she didn't find out about my date with the latest disaster and she wants to put it in the Ledger."

He gives me a pointed stare. "Sir---she would never do that. She's your friend."

I sigh. "Yes, what was I thinking. Okay---where is she?"

"In the library, sir. I locked up all the secrets so she won't be falling out of any windows or learning about where the bodies are buried."

I smile. "I taught you well. And did she gripe?"

"No sir. It was odd---she was as quiet as a mouse. I'm a little worried."

I frown. "Now I'm worried. James, could you bring some coffee to the library?"

"In an intravenous bag---or in a canteen?"

I chuckle. "A gallon tankard---if you have it."

"Sir---she does need to sleep."

"And James, she can tell decaf from the real coffee."

"Oh, right. Well, just make sure she stops drinking about halfway."

I nod and turn around, walking in strides to the library. I open up the door and walk in. I close the door and then:

"Chloe!"

"You bellowed!"

I walk in further, look up, and see her upstairs, sitting at the small table. "You looking for something to stick on me, Sullivan. I'm clean as a whistle."

She gets up and walks over to the rail. "I doubt that but then I like my men, semi-clean."

"You like your men wearing bow-ties and taking pictures."

She moves to the stairs, walking down slowly. "Not anymore---you haven't heard---Jimmy and I broke up."

"Again?"

"Yes---for good this time."

She's at the bottom and I walk over. "You want to talk about it."

"Not much to talk about."

"You want me to tell you something juicy about my father?"

"No."

Oh my God---she really does seem off tonight if she doesn't want to talk or learn something about my father. Maybe I'll tell her about my night and make her feel less off.

"Chloe---I have this problem---maybe you can help me with it."

She brightens up and then smiles. "Oh, and I have to tell you something too."

I walk over and lead her to the couch. "Well, tell me in a bit. First off---I have this problem---can you help me?"

"I'll try---shoot."

I smile wickedly. "I would love to---shoot my father that is."

"Oh, oh, what has the MB done now to push your buttons?"

Magnificent Bastard---his nickname from her fits the monster perfectly.

I grin and then sigh. "Remember Cassie?"

"That girl you're dating at the moment?"

"Was dating."

Her eyes glisten for a moment and I'm captured by their clarity---wondering if I should trust my heart once more---give it another chance to find the right person. Maybe it’s her but then I think, too dangerous.

"So, what happened?"

"Well, I wasn't talking that much tonight."

"She a gabber?"

"Worse than Lois."

"Wow---that's bad. Okay, what happened?"

"She said to me---and I quote, 'Your father was more talkative then you are, Lex.'"

"Oh my God---no way---she's like Victoria the second?"

"Not quite---but he did date her."

"And you think she's a spy for him?"

"No---it was a year or so ago, she told me. But not until I accused her of being a spy for him."

"Ah---let me guess---she walked out indignantly."

"After I had wine in my face."

"Ouch!"

I sigh. "Chloe, do you think I'll ever find somebody who's never dated my father?"

"Well, I do know of a few women out there that have more taste."

"And yet, they have the taste to stay away from me too."

She leans in on me and sighs. "Yeah, well, they're fools to stay away from a nice catch like you."

"Thanks."

She backs away and takes a deep breath. "I was thinking tonight---wondering if someday my prince would come and take the loneliness away."

"And what came out of the thought processes?"

"A stunning realization."

"Which was?"

She gets up off the couch and starts to pace for a few minutes. She finally stops in front of me and closes her eyes.

"I think it's you."

I think I heard her say it's me but I'm not sure. "What did you say?"

She opens her eyes and stares at me. "I said I think it's you."

"You think I'm a prince---why?"

"Ah---you live in a castle, Mr. Luthor. Hello! Visual here."

"Okay---I'll take that. But I'm your prince---why?"

She rolls her eyes and then sits beside me again.

"Okay---first off---you are nice to me."

"So are Clark and Lana."

"Okay---you're not as judgmental of me."

"Okay, I'll take that but I don't think that Snow White saw that in her prince."

"Okay, okay---let me think. You saved me---now you can't say that didn't happen in fairy tales, right?"

"True but once more, the Flannel King has done that too."

"But he has his own princess---Lana. So, I'm out of that equation. I want my own prince and I know it's you. Why are you fighting this?"

I get up and start to pace. And mutter to myself at the same time.

"Hello---still here---talk to me, Lex. Now!"

I stop in front of her. "Chloe, I don't have the best luck with my heart. In fact, I told Clark once that I would never let myself fall this hard ever again."

"Which is why you go out with the wrong women---I get it, Lex."

I sigh. "Yes, that's true. But still---"

She gets up and stands in front of me, unafraid---determined to have her say.

"Lex, you don't think I have had problems with the heart too. I mean, you and I would be tied in the heart ache sweepstakes. But I'm willing to take a chance---why aren't you?"

I shake my head. "You don't understand the danger you are putting yourself into, Chloe. My father could have you killed."

"Oh really---I didn't think he was that strong."

"Chloe!"

"Lex, I'm not the least worried---you want to know why?"

"Why?"

"Because we both have a friend who could hit him so hard he'd be teleported back to next Tuesday."

"Clark can't follow us around all the time."

"Okay---let's put it another way---we can get a restraining order---or get him put in jail for cloning---or---"

"Chloe, I just can't take that chance."

"Bull---you know you can take care of your father with one call. You are that strong and influential. So, what's the real reason, Luthor?"

"It's my choice and I've decided to not give it a chance."

"Oh, you are such a frigging coward, Luthor. This isn't just your choice---it's mine too."

I step back to the Hazel Fury---the anger radiating off her body. "Chloe---you're glowing."

"Of course I'm glowing, you idiot. I'm empathic and in love. And I'm not the only person in love in this mansion, because I'm getting heavy feelings of love from somebody nearby. So, if you aren't in love with me, I guess we better congratulate James."

I start to chuckle and it soon goes into a full blown laugh.

"What's so funny?" she demands.

"I guess I just can't fight it. I might not ever have my fathers love but I certainly have yours, don't I?"

She turns around, her back to me. "I'm not so sure now. I thought maybe I loved you but I think James has a good retirement plan and I do love older men."

I turn her around to face me and see the grin on her face. "Very funny."

"I thought so," she quips, before she wraps her arms around my neck.

"You sure about this?" I ask her.

She nods.

"There will be danger---"

"So, never a dull moment with you, Lex. And there will be love and laughter too."

"True---but my father---"

"Lex, you really know how to dampen a mood don't you."

"Sorry---but he---"

"He will be dealt with the witchly powers of Lana; the super strength of Clark; the super intelligence of one Lex Luthor; and the empathic abilities of mine. So, what's your excuse now?"

I look down at the sprite that’s lighted my life for the past few years. She's never given up on me when others have. She's stood up to my father before and is willing to do it again, in the name of love and fairness. And she's gotten Clark and Lana doing the same. She's the catalyst in my life and always will be if I have anything to say about it. Okay---into the breach I go---I will trust my heart once more---but only to her.

"So, no excuse?"

"No excuse. You've won me over with your intellect and charm."

"And my body?"

"Oh, you got me with that years ago."

She laughs and leans up to kiss me gently and I know---I do trust my heart once more----but only to her---only to Chloe Sullivan---now and forever.

The End.

hfce
5th April 2008, 23:11
Aww that was a great update. I knew Chloe would get what she wanted at the end. :D

karila
6th April 2008, 01:29
I was glad to see a sequel.
Great story!!!

lexie
6th April 2008, 02:47
A perfect one-shot as usual, Peggy. I´m looking forward to reading the sequel that´s already in the works. Thanks for the sneakpeek, by the way.:grin3:

Lillian
12th April 2008, 16:20
I like, I like so much!!!

Ami Rose
5th August 2012, 04:56
Awwww loved it