PDA

View Full Version : I Want To Save You (PG)

Dolphin1721
31st July 2003, 07:19
Title: I Want to Save You
Author: Kira
Rating: PG
Pairing: Chlexy fluff
Disclaimer: If I owned it I wouldn’t writing fanfic and Lex would never wear a shirt.
Summary: Sometimes running away takes us right where we need to be.

A/N: This is a short un-beta’d piece. There’s not a lot of dialogue until the end. The song is by Something Corporate and is absolutely amazing.

"I Want To Save You"

standing on the edge of morning
scent of sex and new found glory
playing as she's pulling back her hair
she drives away
she's feeling worthless
used again but nothing's different
she stayed the night
but knows he doesn't care

Most of the residents of the small town would never know the peace and solace of the hour before dawn in Smallville. It felt almost a shame to destroy the silence with her presence, but she had every morning, and she would continue to do so. In the gravel beside the paved country road she had found more answers than she ever had searching through volumes in the library or on any search engine. The ground passing under her feet and breath coming ragged from her chest had become her morning ritual.

She didn’t know what she was running from or toward. Simply that in her swiftness she had found some sort of stability from the everyday angst filled problems that wracked her brain. It had been four months since the first day. It was right after Lana had taken the guest out of guest room and had given her a reason as to why they put a question mark at the end of “Nobody’s perfect. Right?” As well as the answer.

Everyday she woke in the dead of night with the alarming need to escape her own four walls. That first morning she could barely make it to the end of the street. Every morning she pushed harder, a few steps more, and now, four months later she could clear the distance between the Kent farm and the Luthor manor in under an hour.

Her breath coming in short pants she would return to her own front porch and leave whatever of herself she had found on her run, there until the next morning.

home by three
deafening quiet
the porch light's off
yes they forgot it
she cried herself to sleep
but she don't dare
then she wants to be a model
she wants to hear she's beautiful
she's beautiful

In a recent survey it was stated that if the average human could ask one person one question and get the honest answer he or she would ask God a) the meaning of life. B) the secret to happiness or c) what it all meant. If he had one question to ask that had to be answered honestly he would ask Chloe Sullivan what it was that drove her to his door step every morning for the past two months.

The first morning he had been surprised out of a perfectly good poignant stare by a movement near his front gates. She had propped herself up by the door gasping air into her lungs, her face flushed from exertion. He had thought her absolutely gorgeous there in the false dawn of the Kansas sky.

He hadn’t slept past three since the death of his mother and busied himself with contracts and business until the rest of the world arose from its slumber. However, that morning something had pulled him to the window and as he stood surveying the quiet, peace of morning he had seen her.

The following morning he had left his contacts untouched and waited for her by the window. After an hour he began to doubt she would come and that the previous morning has been a one time thing. Just as he was turning from the window he saw her coming from the road from the east her head bowed so she couldn’t see the silhouette in the window. Her feet pushed her forward until she reached his door step. He watched her for a few minutes while she caught her breath wondering what she was thinking about. Then she looked down the road which she came her mouth set in a determined line and set of.

It had become a game he played with himself to try and guess exactly when she was coming; to see if he could hear her feet shifting the gravel or the ever present rasp in her breath. He tried to feel the shift in the air when she came up the road from the east, and it his little secret when he watched her catch her breath. Every morning without fail she was there and in her raw and truthful solitude he had never felt more connected to a person. He waited for her every morning and she came like the sun from the east. He slept restlessly every night waiting until the morning when he could watch his beautiful sunrise in the darkness of night.

i want to save you
i want to save you
i need you
save me too
i want to save you

dressed by dawn and out the door
no light
she memorized the floor
so she could leave without being detected
she works till three
it's uniform
she dreams that he'll come by the store
she prays for days
the boys mean she's protected
and she wants someone to see her
she needs to hear she's beautiful
she's beautiful

The first time he saw her in the light of day after all the night time visits it had taken all of his Luthor control to not walk over to her table at the Talon, kiss her with all the passion he’d dreamt of and make it so she’d never venture past his doorstep again.

She had been sitting, quietly editing the latest edition of the Torch when she felt eyes on her as she had many times in the past months. It was a feeling of not only being watched but being protected. She glanced up and expected to see the towering form of everybody’s favorite Boy Scout but, was instead greeted by the cool stare of Lex Luthor. It was as if he could see right through her, as if he had been there for the countless mornings of souls searching. She shook her head slightly knowing it was impossible and threw a small wave in his direction.

He entertained the thought of going to sit with her when he noticed her gaze was focused behind his right shoulder. He turned already knowing what he was going to see. Lana and Clark wrapped in a passionate embrace or as close to a passionate embrace the two inexperienced teens got. It was more of an attempt that Lex would have given low marks in both presentation and technical merit.

He turned his gaze back to Chloe and saw a mere second of emotion pass over her face. When she turned her gaze back to him she offered a small smile not filled with sadness as he had expected. Hope. Hope for him. Hope for them.

She dipped her head back down to the paper before her and took a breath. It had hurt in a way that no one could understand. It was her personal Achilles heel and it had just been rammed with a large hot poker. She looked up at Lex and pushed the pain away. She had learned on her early morning exploits that nothing was as hard or as far as it originally seemed. Given time her wound would heal and she would not stop pushing for that day simply because it hurt.

She offered Lex a smile and wished he would quit staring at her. It was unnerving and sent a shiver down her spine in a completely inappropriate fashion. She couldn’t help the slight frown that marred her features when he turned on his heel and quickly exited the Talon.

i want to save you
i want to save you
i need you
save me too
i want to save you

He found her the following day sitting behind her purple iMac chewing on a pen. He cleared his throat and let out a chuckle as the small blonde nearly fell out of her chair.

“God Lex. Don’t sneak up on people. It’s very disconcerting and causes early heart failure,” she put her hand over her heart to emphasize her point but dropped it as soon as she noticed where it directed his eyes. Her heart beat a little faster when it took him a second to return his gaze to her eyes. ‘Okay so you just caught Lex Luthor blatantly being a male. Try not to dance around with joy.’

“Sorry Chloe. I used the most un sneaky mode of entrance possible. I would have used the window but I remembered that’s your favorite,” he smirked at her trying keep his eyes on her face and not her low-cut top.

“Jeesh. You get thrown out a window once and people never forget. What’s that,” she asked motioning to the box he carried under his arm.

“A present. But first I have to say something.” He pulled up a chair across from her and placed the box on the table between them. He took a deep breath and tried to do it just the way he practiced without making it sound absurd. “I want to save you.”

and she won't sleep
she won't sleep
and she won't sleep
at all

She stared at him for a moment unblinking then shook her head as if to clear her thoughts. “You want to save me?”

“I want to save you,” he repeated keeping his eyes level with her praying silently that he hadn’t made a mistake.

Chloe gave a short laugh. “I don’t need saving, Lex.”

“Everybody needs saving, Chloe.” The way she said his name made his heart skip a beat. Very Un-Luthorly.

“And what pray tell do I need saving from?”

“Clark,” he said flatly trying to ignore her wince at his name. “Lana, this school, this whole town. You’re better than this.”

They sat in silence for a moment Chloe searching his eyes for any sign that it was a cruel joke on his part. After a moment she broke the silence. “What’s the catch? There’s always a catch with Luthors.”

He smirked knowing that she would see through him if he lied to her. “You have to save me too.”

His reply caught her off guard. His voice bared the honesty of the statement. He was no longer Lex Luthor son of Satan and ruthless business man, he was Lex Luthor lost little boy who was looking for someone to love and to love him back. She placed her hand over his and leaned forward to capture his lips in a chaste kiss.

When her lips met his he knew she had agreed to whatever strange pact they had made. He pushed back against her applying more pressure and when she moaned he took the opportunity to push his tongue past her lips in a gentle exploration of her mouth.

When he pulled away from her they were both breathless their hands still entwined over the box Lex had brought in. He chuckled at her curiosity and nodded when she gave him a questioning glance. “Open it.”

She tore through the paper and pulled the lid off the box to reveal a pair of top of the line running shoes. “Yours were looking kind of shabby.”

She looked up at him shocked. “But how did… I never…When…”

“Honestly Chloe you didn’t expect to run to my doorstep every morning for the past two months and not expect me to see you.”

“How often did you see me?”

“Every morning,” when she gasped he ran his thumb over the back of her hand. “You were my sunrise. Beautiful and perfect.”

“So, O Ye savior of young maidens where may I ask is your white horse,” she asked a hint of mischief playing at her eyes.

“He’s hitched outside. The Janitor said something about a No Livestock rule implemented this year,” he laughed, the humor evident in his voice.

“Only in Smallville would we actually need a No Livestock rule.” The laughter between them faded down after a moment.

“So Miss. Sullivan do you think I could join you running in the wee hours of tomorrow morning?”

“I don’t know? Do you think you could keep up,” she challenged him with her eyes.

“Ohh. Challenge noted, Challenge accepted,” he stated leaning forward and capturing her lips in another kiss.

i want to save you
i want to save you
i need you
save me too
i want to save you
(let me save you)
i want to save you
(let me save you)
i want to save you
(let me save you)
i want to save you

fin :viking:

Carina
31st July 2003, 07:51
Oh wow... that was breathtaking. The way you wove the running, the hope of sunrise, and the concept of them saving each other -- tying it all together with the song -- was seamless. It was very well-written with some great descriptions, which brought your story alive for me; I could really see Lex standing at his window every morning, staring out at Chloe as she ran up to the gate.

"Every morning without fail she was there and in her raw and truthful solitude he had never felt more connected to a person. He waited for her every morning and she came like the sun from the east. He slept restlessly every night waiting until the morning when he could watch his beautiful sunrise in the darkness of night."

That was my favourite part. :biggrin: Hope to read more of your writing soon.

Tandy
31st July 2003, 08:22
:wub: Beautiful! Wow, that was just so awesome! I loved it really! :worship2: AMAZING, WONDERFUL, FANTASTIC!

Tandy

scifichick774
31st July 2003, 14:53
*sniff*

Just beautiful. I loved it.

kidkarmina
31st July 2003, 18:14
*sigh* heart fluttering :wub: ! Very well written that I could picture everything without conversations between Chlex; very descriptive scenes. And when they do finally conversed, it was so beautifully done that you could actually feel their friendship blossoming to something else (romantically) in the horizon. Great job :biggrin: !

Blaire023
31st July 2003, 20:18
*sigh* that was so good.

I hope you stick around and we get more fics out of you *poke poke*

you know you want to *said in a sing song voice*

~B

sabby
31st July 2003, 20:27
This was a beautiful, heartwarming and absolutely stunning story! Great job! I hope to see another story by you soon, you are definitely a talented writer!

hugs,
Sabby

L'infini
31st July 2003, 20:36
Wow, this was so beautiful. Left me with a big stupid grin on my face. I'd just like to agree with everyone else and say that this fic was just so well written, and moving and... WOW. :blush:

:worship2:

asharnanae
31st July 2003, 21:35
Beautiful, just beautiful. thankyou. :wub:

hfce
31st July 2003, 23:40
Oh that was so sweet. :crygreen: I loved it.

Hope :cool:

bluemoongirl23
1st August 2003, 04:07
That was beautiful. I loved the honesty of what Lex said. And, really, I think you hit the nail on the head. They really could save each other from everyone else. Just wonderful.

Blue

Brittany
1st August 2003, 06:26
I loved it, it was beautifully written, everything was so descriptive, I could picture everything you wrote perfectly. I think my favorite part would be when Lex sneeks up on her, & checks her out, it was just so cute! YOU SHOULD DEFINITELY WRITE A SEQUEL, something with the both of them running together, maybe. Anyway loved it, you should write a really long story next. :worship2:

lunaluthor
2nd August 2003, 18:58
so sweet and fluffy my heart melted away :biggrin:

jaded-swan
4th August 2003, 13:01
Sigh... this story is absolutely beautiful... I so agree that
He waited for her every morning and she came like the sun from the east. He slept restlessly every night waiting until the morning when he could watch his beautiful sunrise in the darkness of night.

is my favourite of all.

vardaquareien
5th August 2003, 13:29
This was an absolutely fabulous concept gorgeously depicted. I love the idea of the two of them joined through their solitude.

The way that Lex just understood her feelings was beautiful as was the fact that she could feel him watching her, protecting her, even from a distance. It was amazing the way that you built and developed their relationship before they had even exchanged a word.

What more can I say except...I hope you give us some more fics if they're gonna be as wonderful as this one! :worship2:

shipperchick
5th August 2003, 20:38
Wow. Just... wow.

That was wonderful, incredibly written, incredibly heartfelt. So MUCH beautiful language and imagery, I don't even know where to start. My favorites:

Every morning without fail she was there and in her raw and truthful solitude he had never felt more connected to a person.

I love this line, it utterly captured the dreamy and yet incredibly sharp feel of really early morning... a time that I completely associate with solitude and being nothing but honest because there's nothing to distract you from yourself.

She had learned on her early morning exploits that nothing was as hard or as far as it originally seemed. Given time her wound would heal and she would not stop pushing for that day simply because it hurt.

WOW! LOVED this line, absolutely my favorite in the story (though there were so many). The positive and resolute tone is *just* what you'd want from someone who's as mature and intelligent and at peace with herself (or at least, at peace with the lack of peace) as this Chloe. Wonderful.

“You were my sunrise. Beautiful and perfect.”

::sigh:: And that was just ...shipperific. The way you sketched Chlex in this fic is exactly what I'm always looking for... two people who, on the show, don't have any interaction, but are both lost and searching and hurting... flawed but more beautiful and honorable in those flaws than simple perfection ever could be.

Please please please write more stories!

Ranting Idiot
11th August 2003, 09:40
I liked this very, very much.

Seems I should come in the Short Stories section more often if I find stuff like this, huh? Good job.

-Rant

Val
19th August 2003, 05:02
That was.... wow, beautiful, great!
I loved the way you described everything, just awesome!

autumngold
10th November 2003, 19:23
This story is so perfect! I love how Lex wants to save Chloe, but realizes that he needs to be saved also! :biggrin: I'm a fluffy fic junky, and this story is my perfect fix! Thanks so much for writing it!! :wub: :chlexsign2: You're awesome!!

WolviesLover
13th November 2003, 22:46
“So, O Ye savior of young maidens where may I ask is your white horse,” she asked a hint of mischief playing at her eyes.

“He’s hitched outside. The Janitor said something about a No Livestock rule implemented this year,” he laughed, the humor evident in his voice.

Niiiice. Lovely banter. This fic was as sweet as they come. Thanks for sharing it with us. :cute:

sylvia
16th November 2003, 06:00
This is such a beautiful piece, perfect in the way the characters' emotions are woven around and reflected in the setting. Your descriptions appeal to all the senses, making the scenes seem so solid and real, and you have a lovely narrative voice.

Most of all I love this piece because it's exactly how I picture Chlex.

Please keep writing!

starmoon
29th April 2005, 22:12
perfect i just loved every bit of it.

slyflame
30th April 2005, 00:43
He waited for her every morning and she came like the sun from the east.

That was some beautiful imagery there. Loved the running theme of course,but I wished you would have been a little more elaborate on that particular topic :)

buddyfozzy
30th April 2005, 01:00
“You were my sunrise. Beautiful and perfect.”

This story was just beautiful. Wonderful job!