PDA

View Full Version : [Completed] You Are Loved (PG-13)

PMD
15th February 2008, 03:06
Big thanks goes to all my friends here who keep me writing. And to my best friend, Jay, who helped me tie it up in a red ribbon and put a big red bow on this Valentines day present to all. Enjoy.

Title: Valentines Day Fic - "You Are Loved"

Author: PMD

e-mail: mary.davidson@sympatico.ca

Rating: PG-13 (slighty suggestive and Language)

Category: Friendship, Chlex, Clana, Valentines Day Fic, AU, Chloe's POV

Spoilers: Anything is fair game up to Season 6 (and only Jimmy for Season 6) and nothing beyond Season 6.

Summary: Chloe has had enough of Jimmy and moves on.

Disclaimer: To whomever owns Smallville, its characters, Valentines Day, a slight call out to Sweet November, PBS, U-Haul, the lyrics from the theme song to Mr. Rogers Neighborhood, and the title to Josh Brogan's song, You Are Loved, I'm just borrowing them, will give them back, not making any money with their use in this piece, so don't sue me.

Archive: At BAFsFF, BT2, Electricchlex, N.S. Forums, and SPP for the time being. If anybody else wants it, all they have to do is ask.

Author Notes: This is dedicated to Esther who has found her way back to Chlex. And thanks goes to David for encouraging me always; to Kris, a great Chlex writer who has a couple more pieces to finish (no hurry, sweetie---we are patient) and will then move on, leaving behind inspiration for us to write in her wake. And extra special thanks to Jay, who has been there always and helped this piece shine a little brighter with his looking at it. Enjoy.

Valentines Day Fic - "You Are Loved" - by PMD

Outside Chloe's Apartment Building - Metropolis

I had wasted two years of my life with Jimmy Olsen---and wasn't planning on wasting anymore on that two-timing womanizer.

I let out a sigh, looking up at the building I had called home for a while. Then I turned and looked at the boxes surrounding me.

"Is that it, Chloe?" a male voice asks me.

I turn my attention to my two good friends, Clark and Lana Kent.

"Chloe are you okay?" she asks.

I'm about to nod, but I shake my head instead.

She walks down the steps and pulls me into her arms. "It's going to be okay. Lex will make sure of that."

I pull back and smile---Lex Luthor--my best friend who had seen me through so many bad times---and the person I knew would see me through this one also.

Jimmy had hurt me so deeply that I felt---no I had given up on love or ever finding it. My heart felt dead---it was beating to keep me alive but that was it.

"Chloe, it's good to see you smile."

I frown at Lana then. And she frowns too. "Don't give up on love. If you do, Jimmy wins."

"It hurts too much, Lana. I don't---"

She pulls me back in, whispering, "Give it time---let it find you. It will---you deserve it."

She backs away and I grin. "So, practicing on being a good Mom are you, Lana?"

She nods. "How'd I do?"

"Not bad. And Clark---to answer your question---that's it except---can you load them into the U-Haul?"

He nods, walking down the steps and taking the first box.

I watch him work slowly and sigh. "He doesn't want me to leave the Planet, does he?"

Lana sighs. "He'll miss you---we'll both miss you---but we understand the reason why you're leaving. And it doesn't take him hours to get to you, if you need help."

"Well, I hope he doesn't neglect you when he's out there saving me. After all, you are going to be the mother of his child."

"Trust me, he won't," she states, with a little bit of a mysterious smirk.

I smile and give her a quick hug. Then we watch as the last few boxes are put into the trailer.

"I'll really miss you guys but---"

"---your father and best friend await you, Chlo," Clark states, walking over to give me a hug.

I back away. "I'll really miss you, Clark."

"Lex will pick up the slack, Chlo."

"Yeah, but it's not the same---you can get pizza to me faster than he can."

He snorts. "Just pizza?"

I roll my eyes and then sigh. "Well, I guess I better get started. My father is expecting me before night fall."

After a few moments of hesitation, we embrace in a warm, group hug.

Reluctantly I let go of them and walk over to the drivers side of the car. Before I get in, I look over the top of the car, and give them a quick wave.

I might have given up on the romantic side of love but friendship, never. I leave two of the greatest friends a girl could ever have, as I slip into the car. But I'm heading towards family and the best friend a girl could ever have, as I start down the road towards Smallville.

Smallville - Dusk - Outside The Talon

Well, I'm here---oh great. Why aren't the lights on---where is everybody? I mean, I didn't expect a ticker tape parade when I got home, but really. It's not open at all---and now I'll probably have to drag in the stuff all by myself.

I look at the inside and all I see is dark. What the heck?

I stamp the snow off my feet and open my purse, searching for a key. I lean against the door and it shifts---oh come on, you guys.

I know this is Smallville---land of the weird---but you don't think that normal could be here too. Like maybe a thief coming in to rob the place.

I close my purse and push at the door. It opens and I walk in.

"SURPRISE!"

I jump back in fright and then smirk. "Thanks for giving me a near fatal heart attack---whose idea was this?"

All fingers point to the bald man in the front. "Should have known---still trying to kill me with kindness are you, Luthor?"

He walks up, giving me a smirk for a moment, and then a smile. "Welcome home, Chloe."

He pulls me into a hug and I let out a sigh. "I am home, aren't I."

He backs away. "You okay?"

I shake my head.

"Jimmy?"

As he speaks, I'm hit with an epiphany---it's not all about Jimmy---it's about me and every boyfriend who's hurt me along the way.

I shake my head. "No, not Jimmy. It's me. I just don't believe in love anymore."

At that moment, Mrs. Kent comes forward. "Lex, let me take Chloe into the back for a moment. We need to have a little talk, woman to woman."

He nods, backing away, and smiles at me. "I'll talk to you later, Sullivan."

"Verbal judo---can't wait, Luthor."

He chuckles at that and then goes over to join Mr. Kent and the others. Mrs. Kent leads me to the back office.

She opens the door and I walk in, her coming behind, closing the door.

She gestures to the couch and I sit on it, her joining me. "So?"

I sigh. "I've given up on love."

"Don't let Jimmy win, Chloe. You have so much love to give."

"You know, I was thinking---it's not just Jimmy---I mean I think that the guys I've picked---it's just that I don't trust my heart anymore, Mrs. Kent."

She smiles. "I know what you mean. I was the same way too---kept picking the wrong guys until the right guy picked me."

"Mr. Kent?"

She nods. "And it wasn't all romantic at first---we were friends---and still are to this day. Honey, just don't look for a while---love will find you instead. Take a break but don't give up on never having it. Jimmy and the others are just bad choices and the right choice will come along someday."

I nod and then sigh. "You know, I think I will. Give my heart a break and maybe it will reboot itself."

"Spoken like a true computer geek," she states, with a smile.

She pulls me into a hug and then there's a knock at the door.

"Come in," I say, as she backs away.

The door opens and in walks Lex. "Everything okay in here?"

We both nod.

"All right then---let's get this welcoming home party started," he states, with a smile.

I get up and walk over to him. "Okay, who are you and what have you done to Mr. Gloomy Luthor?"

"What? I'm a fun guy."

"Really? Your idea of fun is taking over a company."

He snorts and looks over at Mrs. Kent. "Help me out here."

I hear her steps behind as she joins me. "Chloe, he's just happy to have his best friend back. Jonathan tried to fill the void but it’s just not the same."

"You made him blush with your antics on dates, I take it," I quip.

He smirks at me. "You think you know me that well."

"Took a few years but, yeah, I know you that well."

He laughs. "Okay, you know me pretty well. And you know I love a good party---so come on, you two---the night isn't getting any younger."

He moves away from the door, gesturing us through. Mrs. Kent goes first and I follow shortly after. As I head out the door, he slaps my butt and I roll my eyes.

"That's so old, Luthor."

"But it still works, Sullivan."

~

Sunday - A Day of Rest or Work

I wake up to a knock at the door. I look around at all the boxes in my bedroom, knowing there is more outside of it.

The place came unfurnished but that was no problem. I had to give two weeks notice to the Planet so I had plenty of time and help from Lex to get it ready before I arrived---including a bed with massage, for those nights I came home tired.

With all that, well, still had to empty quite a few boxes.

Thankfully last night there were a few able bodied men and women to help get them out of the U-Haul and my car. Then Mr. Kent offered to take the U-Haul back to the farm and then back to the place I rented it from on Monday. One problem solved.

Now to open the boxes and get all the stuff out and put away before the alarm sounded for work the next day.

Another knock at the door breaks me out of my thoughts.

I get out of bed and grab my robe. I walk to the door and look out the peep-hole that Lex insisted I have. Like I can tell the difference between a normal person and a meteor freak. Course, I can tell the difference between a friend and a stranger. And a friend and a meteor freak are at the door.

I open it up and smile. "Coffee---oh, you know what I like, Luthor."

"Like I would be allowed in this apartment without it---compliments of the house, by the way."

"Haha---you own the place---it's always complimentary. As to the other thing---I would so let you in without it."

"Not in the morning."

"True---so, I'll take the coffee and you can come in, sir."

He looks behind himself and that back at me. "Sir?"

"Okay---goofball sound better."

"Well, at least you aren't mistaking me for my father with goofball."

"Lex, I would never mistake you for your father."

"Lack of hair?"

"Lack of kindness to puppy dogs on his part."

He smiles at me and hands me the coffee. Then I back away and let him in.

I'm about to close the door when I see Clark walking towards us. I frown---he's supposed to stay with Lana---she's pregnant---course, only in the first trimester---hey, she's still pregnant. And it's a pregnancy with an alien---who knows what happens with those sort of things---better to be safe than sorry, right?

"What are you doing here?" I ask, as he walks in and I close the door.

"Helping a friend."

"Where's Lana?"

"She's at the farm, Nosy."

"Please tell me you didn't fly her to the moon and then onto Smallville."

"No---Lex lent us the limo---since he felt you wouldn't approve of the helicopter."

I look at Lex. "Awwww---you did?"

"Yes, it's my good deed for the day."

I feel the tears in my eyes.

For a couple of years there, I never thought I would ever see them as friends again. But one day, Lana and I got them into a room and had them talk it out.

On that day, Lex explained the room from long ago---how it wasn't only a room looking into Clark but also a room to try to explain to himself why he survived. And it was a way to try to learn and gain knowledge into protecting Clark too.

Clark looked at him with that stare of his and then sighed. On that day, Clark told him the truth and the whole truth.

Lex looked at him like he was a stranger but then he sighed, knowing that him having that room was part of the reason for keeping the truth from him. His father was the other part.

That day was the rebirth of a friendship that would be sung for years to come. Okay, maybe not sung---but remembered for years to come. And through it, Mr. Kent finally came to believe that Lex wasn't his father and adopted him as a second son.

"Chloe?"

I look at Lex. "Yes?"

"You okay?"

"Yeah."

He walks over and touches my forehead. "Not warm."

"Well, of course not---I'm a hot girl, not a warm one," I quip, pushing away his hand.

"She’s still got it, Lex."

"You think, Clark."

I roll my eyes at the guys and look around the kitchen.

"Okay, slaves---first off---unload the dishes---and Kent---no levitating off the ground to put the dishes on the top shelf. Just do it the normal way---with a step ladder, if you need it."

~

First Day Of Work - And Guess Who's the Boss

Well, it's a beautiful day in the neighborhood, a beautiful---oh, dear Lord. No more PBS in the early morning, Chloe.

I walk out of the Talon and look at the freshly fallen snow on the ground. With more to come, I hear, from the radio announcer this morning.

I decide to walk to work, just in case of the snow. It's easier to traverse the sidewalks then to drive on the road at times, with that kind of weather.

It takes me 15 minutes to get to the paper and I walk in, watching the hustle and bustle going on in the room.

"May I help you?"

I look at the girl in front of me. "Sarah---it's me, Chloe."

"Chloe! I'm so sorry I didn't recognize you. Lex did say you were arriving today---me bad."

She walks up and hugs me. Then she backs away.

"It's okay---wow, you are busy. Can I help with anything?"

"Sullivan---on time, as usual."

I look beyond Sarah and watch Lex walk out of the---editors office?

"It's a curse."

He walks up to us and smiles at Sarah. "I think they need you in the copy room, Sarah."

"Oh, right---thanks Mr. Luthor. I was just heading that way---lunch today, Chloe? We can catch up."

"Okay. See you later, Sarah."

She gives me a smile and then one at Lex, before she runs off.

"Nice kid," Lex states.

"Lex, she's the same age as me," I quip, at his words.

"You're not a nice kid," he quips back.

"Haha---so, where's my desk, Boss?"

He moves to stand beside me and gestures to the desk just outside the Editors office. We walk over and I sit down.

"Nice desk."

"Only the best for my staff."

I look up at him. "You here to welcome me? That's so sweet."

"No, actually I work here until we get the new Editor picked."

"Oh---and what do you know about editing a newspaper?"

"I read a lot about it---besides, you guys know your jobs so well---I just have to make sure I get the articles in on time."

"Good thing you weren't in charge of the Torch. I tell you, if I had a dollar for every time Clark was late---"

"---you would be as rich as I am?"

"Richer," I quip.

He laughs at that and then sighs. "I missed this."

I smile at him. "Me too. Soooo---"

"So, I'll let you get to work on your column---there are a few ideas on your desk to start off with---unless---you wouldn't like to turn the column into an advice column for a while?"

"Thanks but been there done that. Besides, you want somebody who's lost their way in love to do an advice column."

"Those who don't, teach," he says.

"I guess but I'd rather it be a straight column---unless---you really need an advice one, Lex?"

He nods.

"Okay---for all your support, I'll do it---see how it works out. But if it doesn't---can I go back to the original idea?"

He nods.

"So, where are the letters?"

He gestures to his office and I smirk at him.

"Okay, since you were so nice about changing it---it'll get them."

He walks in and comes back with a sack of letters. He puts it by my desk and then smiles. "To work, young lady."

"Yes, sir," I state, with a salute.

That gets a chuckle and then somebody yells out for him and he's off, like a flash.

I open the bag and pull out some envelopes---wonder what we have in here? Hope it's more than, 'how can I get him to look at me' or 'why doesn't she like me'. But if there are some like that, like Lex says, those who don't, teach. Besides, it doesn't work out---I feel uncomfortable with it---I can change back. That's Lex---get them to see it his way and if it doesn't work---give them an out.

~

An Overnight House Guest - A Week Later

I'd been working for the paper for a week when we had a major snowfall. It was still snowing when we left work, me not looking forward to walking in it, even if I wasn't driving in it. The wind was horrid too.

"Need a ride, Sullivan?"

I turn to look at Lex. "Only if you do two things for me, Boss."

"Chloe, it's too dangerous to have sex in the car in this weather," he quips.

I shake my head. "No---that never entered my mind, Luthor."

"Okay, what then?"

"One; you drive carefully. Two; now don't take this the wrong way but you stay the night."

"Stay the night---sex in bed isn't going to happen either."

"Hey, I told you not to take it the wrong way, didn't I?"

He sighs. "Yes you did. Sorry about that. So---"

"Well, the first one is obvious---I want to get there in one piece. The second one should be too since you are my friend and the roads are bad. So---"

"Okay---but you sleep in the tub."

"Haha---I think I can trust you to stay on your side of the bed, Lex."

He leans in, whispering in my ear, "But can I trust you to stay on your side of the bed?"

He backs away and I slap him on the arm. "You aren't that enticing, Lex."

He raises an eyebrow that gets a laugh from me---and finally a chuckle from him.

He offers me his arm and we walk slowly to the parking lot and his car, soon to be in the back parking lot of the Talon, for the night.

~

The Next Morning - Lex Mumbles Without Sound

I feel warm and fuzzy, I think, as I wake up and see an arm around me.

Knew my attraction was better than his.

I remember ending up in bed with our backs to each other last night. He was so exhausted from the day that he fell right to sleep. I finally drifted off and sometime during the night he must have laid on his back and pulled me into his side.

"Hi," wakes me from my thoughts.

I look up. "Hi yourself---I guess you find me a good blanket---or is there something more I should read into this?"

He smiles at me. "Good blanket---your body heat helped keep me warm."

I give him a slight grin and then try to push away from him. "Lex, I have to get ready for work---wait---what are you doing to do? I mean, going in with the same clothes---tongues will be wagging."

He lets go of me and chuckles. "I keep an extra set of clothes in the office downstairs, just in case."

I get out of bed and turn around. "Nice sleepwear," he says.

"I was a little warmer than you for sure," I say, looking at the bareness of his chest, above the sheet.

"Like what you see, Sullivan?" he asks, as he pulls the sheet back.

I roll my eyes and turn around, heading to the bathroom. Like I'm going to answer that question.

As I start my daily routine of washing up and brushing my teeth, I look in the mirror and see Lex sitting on the bed, mumbling to himself. I think I can catch 'Chloe' and 'tell her' and something else---maybe, 'now'.

"Lex?"

He stops. "What?"

"Either tell me what you are trying to say or stop mumbling. By the way, word of advice---your mumbling is more like saying words without sound. Try to close your mouth more."

He's blushing---awwww---that's so cute.

"Not yet."

I nod and go back to my work at hand. Not yet but hopefully someday, my friend.

~

February 14th - Nighttime

I touch the dress I have on the back of the door of the bathroom and sigh.

Just not the same going to a party with a friend, even though the friend is the person giving it. And I'm arriving in a limo---which means I'm going in style.

Still, not the same without a boyfriend.

I put on the dress and then I hear the knock. "He's early."

I walk out, forgetting I haven't done up my dress, and open the door.

"Jimmy---what the hell are you doing here?"

"Taking my best gal to the party."

"You mean crashing it."

I turn around and I hear a chuckle. Then:

"Always loved your backside bare."

Grrrrrr---I turn around and give him a smirk. Then I growl:

"Get the fuck out of here, Jimmy."

"Awww---baby---come on. It's Valentines day---the day for lovers."

"And you come into this equation as---a fat cherub, hitting people with arrows?"

He walks up to me, touching my cheek. "No---guess again."

"I'd rather guess where you'll be in a few seconds---outside of this apartment and on the way to Metro," we both hear.

He turns around to see Lex standing there, a bouquet of roses for me in one hand; some punch in the other, for Jimmy.

He's ready to hit him so hard his teeth will rattle but instead I move away from Jimmy and then in between him and Lex.

"Its okay, Lex. I'll take care of him."

He nods, not asking if I'm sure. That's what makes him a great friend---a great friend looking incredible in that tux.

I turn around to look at Jimmy. "Jimmy, it just won't work. You like women too much. You aren't a one woman man. And I want that. I want somebody who loves just me. You don't."

He sighs. "It's Clark, isn't it---that's why we're breaking up?"

"Jimmy---he's married. I haven't felt that way about him in years. He's my friend. It's you that caused this to happen. Maybe someday somebody will be there for me---but at the moment, I've got my friends to help me through this---and that guy behind me, he's one of the best. And a good fighter too---so, vamoose before I sic him on you."

He sighs again. "I blew it."

"Yes you did."

"No second chances."

"Hell, I gave you four---just go, okay?"

He nods, walking around me. I turn to watch him lean into Lex and whisper something. Then he's gone.

Lex walks up to me, handing me the yellow roses. I sniff at them and then smile. "Thanks."

"You're welcome. Are you okay?"

"I will be---if you help me with my dress."

"Okay---I'll help."

I place the roses on the nearby table, my back to him. I sense him behind me, his fingers on my zipper. It's been pulled up a bit before he got to it so he starts pulling it down.

"Up, Lex. Up."

"Sorry, so used to doing it the other way."

There's laughter in the apartment and scant minutes later, after getting finished dressing and flower in water, we make out way to his party, a yellow rose in his lapel.

~

A Year Later - Valentines Day

"Okay---where's my dress?"

"What dress?"

"Lex, you better not be wearing it."

"What?"

"Oh please, I saw how you looked at it on the hanger."

"Chloe!"

I walk out of the washroom and look at him sitting on the bed.

"Awww---its okay, sweetie. You do have better legs than me and you just want to show them off."

He gets up, that predatory look in his eyes. "I think not. You have the prettiest legs in Smallville, bar none."

"Don't you mean, bare none."

He's in front of me now and starts mumbling again.

"What's that---I can see your lips moving and I see you took my advice about keeping them closed more."

He looks straight into my eyes and my eyes pop.

"Lex, is there something you want to tell me now that you couldn't a year ago?"

He nods.

"So?"

"Chloe---I wanted to wait a year to let you have time to get to know yourself---be free of Jimmy---and maybe find that you can find love---that you are loved."

"And who loves me?"

"Hmmmm. Let me see---Clark is taken."

"Yes, he is---Lana and Lara made sure of that."

"Hmmmm---Pete is too far away."

"Did I ever tell you that Pete had a crush on me once---he even kissed me."

His eyes narrow. "How was it?"

"Like kissing my brother."

He sighs deeply. "Okay where was I?"

"Beating around the bush to tell me you love me, maybe?"

He smirks at me. "You think you know me that well."

I put my arms around his neck and lean up. "Not that well yet, but I'm hoping to. How about we stay in tonight and you tell me what Jimmy whispered to you last year."

"All right---but you've got to promise me one thing too."

"Anything, my friend."

"That if for some reason we end up going our separate ways, we'll always be friends. I never want to lose that Chloe. I need you too much---and I never have let myself be this way with anybody but you."

I feel the tears in my eyes. "You are loved too, Lex. And I promise that no matter what, friends forever."

He leans down and captures my lips in a sweetness only tasted in honey. Then he backs away and leads me to the bed.

He gestures to it but I shake my head. "What did Jimmy say?"

"He said that I should watch out for you and make sure you never run into an idiot like him."

"Well, you kept that promise, didn't you."

"I hope so. Course, I guess you could say I'm an idiot in love. Now, where were we?"

"Looking for my dress?"

"No, you were looking for your dress, which is in the closet, by the way."

"Oh," I state.

Then I squeal as he pushes me onto the bed and joins me, sliding up my body.

"So, we are loved?"

"By our best friends, no less."

As he kisses me once more, I know it took a while to find it. But would I have recognized love without going through the crushes; the bad dates; the idiot known as Jimmy; finally finding out, you are loved, by your best friends, Lex Luthor.

The End.

lexie
15th February 2008, 05:07
Thanks for the Valentine´s gift, Peggy. Completely AU but adorable.

There´s only one small detail; in the language of flowers yellow roses are given to a woman when the man intends to break up with her.

He walks in and comes back with a sack of letters. He puts it by my desk and then smiles. "To work, young lady."

"Yes, sir," I state, with a salute.

That gets a chuckle and then somebody yells out for him and he's off, like a flash.

This part made me smile. You´re really into Wally!

starmoon
6th April 2008, 08:17
i love this story it is so sweet.

Ami Rose
4th August 2012, 09:49
Lol cute