PDA

View Full Version : [Completed] "Forgive But Never Forget" (PG-13) Completed

PMD
28th August 2007, 16:29
It's been while since I've done a friendship piece but this challenge from BAFsFF just begged for it, where the situation was, I mean. Nice to know I still have the touch. :) Enjoy.

Title: Smallville Challenge Fic From BAFsFF - "Forgive But Never Forget"

Author: PMD

e-mail: mary.davidson@sympatico.ca

Rating: PG-13 (language)

Category: Friendship, Chloe's POV, AU

Spoilers: Anything from Smallville is fair game.

Summary: She will forgive but never forget.

Disclaimer: To whomever owns Smallville, its characters, and Gmail, I'm just borrowing them, will give them back, not making any money with their use in this piece, so don't sue me.

Archive: At BAFsFF, BT2, Electricchlex, N.S. Forums, and SPP, for the time being. If anybody else wants it, all you have to do is ask.

Authors Notes: This is a challenge from BAFsFF (specifically Laura1) in regards to - 'what do you need to forgive?' Thanks for this great exercise to get my muse going, sweetie. Hope I do you proud.

Also, thanks to David with one part of the piece---and to Jay for looking it over. And I'd like to dedicate this piece to a friend who is no longer with us. We'll miss you, sweetie; so very much. Now on with the show.

Smallville Challenge Fic From BAFsFF - "Forgive But Never Forget" - by PMD

Prologue: We can forgive but we must never forget why it happened so as not to repeat our mistakes.

~

The Talon - Nighttime

I look at the opposite side of the aisle---a few tables down.

His back is to me and if I could---if I had x-ray eyes, I would use them to put a hole in the back of his head.

How dare he---HOW DARE HE!

I helped him to put his father in jail. Not that he stayed there long but I did do it. And not at unnecessary peril to my own life.

I soften a bit. Course, we might be dead if not for his quick thinking of getting us a safe house with an underground back door to it. But then it was my idea that maybe Lionel had the guards in his back pocket. And he agreed. Still, he had to find the house.

He looks at the waitress going by, asking for more coffee. He's about to turn back to his paper when he must sense me staring at him. He turns to glance at me and it's like he's looking right through me.

Not even a nod to signify me being there. Oooooo, he is such a jackass---I could---uuuugh.

He turns back to his paper and I hate him once more.

I helped him and what does he do---after I'm captured again. Taken from the safe house---away from my father. What does he do? Does he come to rescue me---the person who put her life on the line to help him---help myself---help others? Nooooo---of course not. That would make him a hero, wouldn't it.

And to add insult to injury---the man ignored me after the fact. He didn't even come over to say he was glad I survived. Hell, I went to him and was told I wasn't welcome---I had to leave---by a guard no less. Since when did he get security that was actually there when needed?

What a freaking idiot! He didn't do it himself---he had somebody else do his dirty work. That's his father's forte, not his.

I'm about to get up to give him a piece of my mind when the door opens and in walks the devil himself. He sees his son and then glances at me. He looks back at him and then me again.

I go back to my computer, pretending I don't see him. Don't sense the man walking towards me. Then he's standing there and I look up.

"Mr. Luthor."

"Miss Sullivan."

His hair is growing back after he buzzed it off. He gives me a smirk and leans down, whispering:

"You still helping my son?"

He backs away and I look beyond him to see Lex looking at us. His eyes say it all---and gives me the reason for staying away from me. It's his father---he's afraid I'll die this time if we are seen together by him, even if it is innocent.

I look at Lionel now. "No---in fact, I hate him."

"Good. Keep it that way and you'll have a long life, Miss Sullivan."

I glare at him. "You don't scare me."

He leans in. "Oh, I don't. I should."

I huff at him. "Lionel, you are just so full of yourself, you know that. Who died and made you the King of Assholes?"

He moves away, smirking at me. "My Dear, I've always been--as you so eloquently put it--the King of the Assholes. Never forget that."

"Father?"

He turns to look at Lex standing beside him. "Son, I'll be with you in a moment. Oh, why don't you say hello to another person who doesn't like you that much. Or is your voice too tired from doing that all day?"

"Ms. Sullivan."

"Mr. Luthor."

He's back to his father, who stares at him and then me. He pulls him away from me and they head back to his table. They sit there, having an animated conversation. Then his father gets up in a huff and walks over to me.

"Miss Sullivan, I'm sorry if I insinuated that I would kill you if you talked to my son. It seems he thinks that you being a reporter, you might have to talk to him at least once in your career. So---please accept my apologies."

"Apology not accepted," I gripe.

He just glares at me and then turns around, walking to the door and outside, slamming it behind.

I feel Lex's stare on me. I look up and he's turned around again.

All this time, I've been hurt---angry that he didn't want to be around me---talk to me---just be my friend. Now I know why and my hurt kept it from my head, but not my heart.

He did it to protect me.

Now I will forgive but never forget this---so I won't repeat mistakes again. However, I owe him an apology---but how to do it?

As I glance over at the window, Lionel is still looking in. What a goof!

Okay, I know how.

I notice that Lex now has his computer out so I decide, this is the best way.

I bring up my e-mail program and type in his e-mail addy---only one that he and I know about.

I smile, remembering how one night we had been so punchy, that we decided to create e-mail addys that only we two would know. The fun part was coming up with names. His was Baldy, for obvious reasons. Unfortunately, there was a Baldy out there so we have to add 1 to it, another he wanted No. 1. I thought that was a little too egotistical even for him. He said I was being sassy and hence, that became my name---Sassygirl---which even though I didn't care for it, I had to admit, it fitted me well.

I sigh, missing those times, and type in a message for him:

To: Baldy1@gmail.com

Subject: Forgiveness:

Hi:

You might wonder what I need to forgive---no what you need to forgive me for. Actually you might wonder why this e-mail after so long a silence between the two of us.

I was so hurt and angry that you ignored me, Lex. I just couldn't comprehend how you could let me go so quickly---you are not that rude or obnoxious. I couldn't believe I was so wrong about you and that pissed me off.

Well, now I know. Your father said I would live a long life if I stayed away from you. And I guess I have you to thank for taking that threat away. Kudos on using the interview idea, by the way, so we can see each other---I mean talk. You would make a good reporter---you think on your feet.

I know why you did it. You did it to protect me and my father. You did it to protect yourself from another loss of somebody you---liked? You did it to put up a front---a false icon of yourself for the world to see. But you did it mostly because you care about me---and you were afraid of that fact and maybe that I didn't care about you.

Don't be---I wouldn't have been as pissed or hurt if I didn't care about you. That summer was the most wonderful one of my life. You may never have the love of your father but you will always have the faith and trust of me. No matter what happens, I'm on your side.

Well, that's a long about way of saying I forgive you. But I will never forget where it came from---why it happened---and if you ever turn a cold shoulder on me again---except if you are play acting---you really want to see the Hazel Fury again. Nope, didn't think so.

Your friend, through thick and thin,

Sassy Girl.

I push send and await any response. I do notice that he stiffens and then calms down. I look out the window and notice that Lionel is heading to his car, finally.

I hear a ping and notice his IM box is open attached to the e-mail program:

Baldy1 - Hey.

SassyGirl - Hey yourself.

Baldy1 - You forgive me? I won't accept it.

SassyGirl - WHY!

Baldy1 - Because I don't deserve it. I was mean and cruel to you. I shouldn't have left you out in the cold like that. You were my friend and the only one whose friendship never wavered. And I lost it.

Sassygirl - Hey, goofball---did you not read up there. I'm still your friend, you idiot.

There's nothing, so:

Sassygirl - Lex you still alive there? You okay?

Baldy1 - Yes and no. Chloe?

Sassygirl - Yes?

Baldy1 - I'll accept your forgiveness---even if I don't deserve it.

Sassygirl - What else is new.

Baldy1 - I'm serious.

Sassygirl - So am I.

Baldy1 - :: rolling eyes ::

Sassygirl - :: giving a classic Luthor smirk ::

I sense him eyeing me and I look up at him. He gives me a classic smirk and I just stick out my tongue at him.

He's back to the computer again with:

Baldy1 - That's mature.

Sassygirl - I'm a teenager---I can be immature if I want too.

Baldy1 - And here I thought you had matured over that summer.

Sassygirl - Lex, playing strip poker with a guy who cheats isn't maturing. In fact, you were pretty immature when I wouldn't take off my---

Baldy1 - Stop or I'll start blushing like Lana again.

Sassygirl - That's right---bring in the Lana card.

Baldy1 - Sorry. :: sigh ::

Sassygirl - What is it?

Baldy1 - In order to get my father off your back, I had to agree to have dinner with him tonight to plan what to do with the crap factory.

Sassygirl - It's not going to close down again, right?

Baldy1 - Not if I can help it. You wouldn't have some rat poison in your purse, would you?

Sassygirl - Haha---you know I don't carry that around in my purse, unless I'm going to eat with your father.

Baldy1 - Please say he never invited you to dinner when you were working together.

Sassygirl - No---but I seem to remember a certain folically challenged son who invited me a couple of times to dinner---I miss having them.

Baldy1 - Well since I've been forgiven for being such an ass to you, I'll invite you over for an interview---say tomorrow night. Dress casual---dinner included.

Sassygirl - Jeans and a tank top casual enough.

Baldy1 - :: fanning myself ::

Sassygirl - Funny man. I'll wear jeans and a t-shirt instead.

Baldy1 - Purple?

Sassygirl - Naww---pink I think.

Baldy1 - Chloe!

Sassygirl - Kidding. Forgive me?

Baldy1 - I'll forgive but never forget. And to quote you about that color---ewww.

Silence for a few minutes and then:

Baldy1 - Chloe---you are okay---we are okay now?

Sassygirl - I could never stay angry with you after I finally figured out your plots, Lex.

Baldy1 - Good---because I wouldn't want to lose my co-conspirator to anything.

Sassygirl - Thanks, for staying away from me so that wouldn't happen.

Baldy1 - I was hurting too.

I sigh and then smile:

Sassygirl - I know.

Baldy1 - Damn, look at the time. Chloe, I---

Sassygirl - I know---you have to have dinner with the devil himself---and you can't be late. I'll see you tomorrow night. Bye Lex.

Baldy1 - Bye, Chloe.

Then he's gone and I look up, watching him getting ready to leave. He get up and moves away from the table. He turns to give me a wink and then makes his way to the door.

I start getting ready to leave too---dinner with my own father, whom I love dearly.

I'll always forgive but never forget what Lex did to protect me, my father, and himself. As to Lionel, forgetting is not an option to what he's done to all three of us. And forgiving, will never be in the cards, ever.

The End.

malugargula
29th August 2007, 04:51
Loved it
:)
Damn Lionel was the reason why Lex was ignoring Chloe
Bastard
Glad they talked and forgave each other

lexie
31st August 2007, 17:50
Thanks for telling me about this piece. As usual you´ve managed to convey a lot in a small package. I loved it!;)

Chaotic Soul
14th November 2007, 04:54
Very nice. Hehehe...baldy. I loved Lex being reluctant for her to forgive him, very much like him to be so stubborn.

Linda
3rd December 2007, 20:25
Fantastic, I love Chlex friendship. It was like a lightbulb turned on when Chloe realised why Lex was ignoring her, you managed to convey a whole host of emotions in this wonderful piece.

karila
24th February 2008, 01:41
Good story, full of humor.

Tanschana
18th May 2008, 04:09
Nice story! Kind of different, but I kind of like it!