PDA

View Full Version : "Hearts Desire" (PG-13) - Complete

PMD
17th February 2007, 04:35
Title: Sequel To 'Alone For Christmas' - "Hearts Desire"

Author: PMD

e-mail: mary.davidson@sympatico.ca

Rating: PG-13 (Slightly Suggestive)

Category: Chlex, Clana, friendship, New Years Eve Fic, Lex and Chloe's POV's, AU

Spoilers: Anything is fair game in Smallville.

Summary: A celebration of love and forgiveness on the cusp of a New Year born.

Disclaimer: To whomever owns Smallville, its characters, the game, Clue and its characters, the game, Solitaire, the Shadow, Cupid, any famous sayings, Hallmark, HBO, and New Years Eve, I'm just borrowing them, will give them back, not making any money with their use in this piece, so don't sue me.

Archive: At BAFsFF, BtS, BT2, Electricchlex, N.S. Forums, and SPP for the time being. If anybody else wants it, all they have to do is ask.

Author Notes: This is the sequel to my Christmas piece, sent a year after it. Decided that Chloe and Lex needed some alone time with the first New Year together. This is dedicated to all my friends who enjoy Chlex in all its shapes and forms. Enjoy.

Sequel To 'Alone For Christmas' - "Hearts Desire" - by PMD

Lex's POV

Prologue: It's been over a year since we've been together and every day, in every possible way, she makes me better---keeps me sane---loves me, no matter what. Never thought I would deserve or get it but now that I have it, I never want to let go of the feeling. And happily, neither does she. For we are each other's hearts desire.

~

New Years Eve - Early Evening - Luthor Mansion

It's been over a year since that night---that Christmas night. Last year, we were allowed our alone time to get to know each other better on New Years Eve. This year, not on your life---we had friends and family coming to celebrate the going out of the old and the beginning of the new.

I remembered the last New Years; awaking the next day, her snuggled close to me. Her comforter enveloping us in warmth, as much as her arms were enveloping me in love and friendship.

I had pulled her closer and she sighed my name and told me she was too tired to make love this morning---I'd worn her out.

I chuckle at that remembrance of the past and turn to look out the window. The snow had held off which was good, since some people were traveling from Metropolis and it wouldn't do for them to not get here.

"Hey!"

I turn around and see my brother, Lucas, standing in the doorway. He walks in, smiling.

I make my way around the desk and envelop him in a hug.

"Lex---Lexxxx----too tight. Can't breathe."

I back away, with a slight grin. "Sorry."

He laughs. "Its okay----just remember---I bruise easily. Man, this is so weird."

I back away more. "What is?"

"You happy---with somebody. Never thought I would see it after what Helen did to you."

"Well, it's because I have a great girl in my life. You should try getting one too."

"You don't think I have?"

He gives me that impish grin and I give him a slight smirk. "You have somebody in mind, don't you?"

"Maybe---maybe not. Just let me, for the moment, live vicariously through you and Chloe. So---do you have it?"

I nod.

"And the room is ready?"

I nod again.

"So, where is she?"

"Upstairs---trying to find something to wear."

"Think we should call Lana to help?"

I let out a sigh and turn away.

"I thought you and Lana were okay?" he asks.

I turn back. "We are but I don't want to see my future in pink."

He chuckles at that and I have to laugh.

"Maybe in purple, Lex?"

"You saw the dress?"

"No---I just know what one of her favorite colors is and it ain't pretty in pink---it's pretty in purple or lovely in Lavender."

I laugh. "Wow, you are a poet and didn't know it, Lucas. Why hasn't some girl snapped you up?"

"I'm a playboy?" he quips.

I snort at that. "Been there, done that---picked the wrong girls, got the right one now."

"Even Lana was wrong?"

"Yes, even Lana was wrong for me. Wanting something somebody else had isn't love---its lust at best. And if I hadn't felt that way about her, maybe Zod wouldn't have gone after her."

"But him knowing Clark loved her---that certainly merited his interest more than---"

"They were equal as far as I'm concerned---and on my part, wanting something Clark had---be it a girl or a father who loves you---is really embarrassing to me now. He's my best friend and I shouldn't have been that way."

He gives me a sympathetic look and then:

"Well, you've got both now."

"What?"

"Just like Clark, you have a father who loves you. And just like Clark, you have a girl who loves you too. So, you've got everything, Lex."

"I've got something Clark doesn't have."

"What's that?"

"A pesky and perceptive little brother."

"Well, he's got two pesky and perceptive brothers---us!"

"And don't forget Chloe is on his side too---she's very perceptive and is teaching Lana to be that too."

We both chuckle and then we're silent for a moment, until:

"So, where's Dad?" I ask him.

"Ahhhh---he went up to apologize to Chloe for the past."

"He might be apologizing for the present too, if she's in her underwear. If we hear a scream---"

"---head for the hills?"

"That about sums it up."

~

Lex and Chloe's Bedroom

Chloe's POV

"I am not Lana. I am not a clothes horse. I would rather ask for a new computer than something to wear at Christmas or New Years. And yet---what do I wear? I'm wearing black shoes---anything in here for me to wear with basic black---no, not that I can see. Certainly not what I'm wearing. I need Lana, NOW!"

A knock at the door stops my tirade and I sigh. Maybe wishes do come true in this castle and that will be Lana outside.

I smile. Well, wishes do come true or are enhanced by this place that is magical to me now.

I remembered about 6 months after getting together---Lex asked me to move in. But unlike the case with Helen, not into his room but a guest room. I accepted and it took another month before I did move into his room. Like we were at opposite ends of the corridor and as much as running back and forth to the rooms was fun and healthy for us, sometimes the mood was just gone when we got there. Not all the times; just sometimes. However, I did like snuggling, with or without the bedly workout.

Another knock breaks me out of my thoughts.

"Lana?"

"No, it's Lionel, my dear. May I come in?"

"Do you have a dress co-coordinator with you?"

"No---but I have something better."

"Oh?" I ask, walking up to the door.

"A dress---and---"

Before he can finish that thought, I pull the door open and drag him in. I look at the dress bag he's carrying in one hand.

"What color?"

"Not pink."

"Thank god. I love Lana but really, going back to pink again after wearing black---not exactly a great move. Although she wasn't herself back then so maybe she is now with pink."

"Yes, pink is her color. But you do look nice in hot pink."

I smirk at him and he laughs. "You and Lex are perfect for each other, just for that smirk, my dear."

I roll my eyes and he laughs. "I would love to see Lex do that move."

"Yeah, well, I've seen him do that move and usually because I'm getting on his last nerve that you haven't hit."

His eyes go sad and I feel terrible. I never thought I would be but Lionel has changed since the encounter with Jor-El. I thank a spirit of an alien who did what he could to save his son for it. And I thank God that Lex now has what he always wanted from his father---his love.

"Lionel, I'm sorry."

He lets out a sigh and touches my cheek for a second. "I deserve it though. I was a terrible father and a horrible human being."

"The past is the past; the future is yet to be seen; and the present is a gift from God."

"And you, Chloe Sullivan, are a remarkable human being."

"Really? I thought that was left to Lana, Princess of Smallville."

"She doesn't hold a candle to you in the eyes of the Luthor men."

"Awww---gee whiz, Lionel. You're going to make my head so big I won't ever be able to leave this room."

"And Lex wouldn't complain in the least, my dear."

"Wow, somebody's been taking lessons from his son."

He leans in with a smirk. "Who do you think taught him to do snark?"

"Ah----his schoolmates?" I quip.

He backs away. "Yes but I honed it."

"You honed his biting sarcasm, Lionel," I say.

Then I bite my tongue. "Sorry---I guess I'm still getting used to seeing you as a friend and not an enemy of the Luthor Estate."

"You've apologized to me twice and I came to apologize to you."

"About what?"

"Let's see---asking you to betray Clark?"

"Ah---didn't do that, did I."

"No---okay, how about trying to kill you and your father."

"Psssst---if I was going to hold a grudge about that, I would probably not like at least a quarter of Smallville."

"Chloe---I almost killed you---that's not holding a grudge---that's being scared of the person for the rest of your life," he states, adamantly.

"Okay, so I am still a little nervous around you but you've proven yourself different now. And do I look like Mr. Kent who held a grudge so tightly, it squeaks, let me go."

"But still---"

"Lionel, if your son can get beyond what happened between you two; if he can accept that you are changing because of learning about a love of a father for another son and see the error of his ways; can I not do that too. If anybody had a right not to believe in you---it's him, not me."

His eyes are filling with tears and I smile. "See, you're learning something else."

He arches an eyebrow, in question.

"You are learning that your own father was wrong to abuse you. And it was wrong to abuse your son---you are breaking the cycle of abuse. And learning that to love is not weakness---its strength. I'm so much stronger for loving the Luthor men, as much as I hope they are stronger for loving me."

He nods his understanding and then sighs. "I miss Lillian. And I'm so sorry that I hurt Lex for so long---hurt everybody that I came into contact."

"Father?"

We turn towards the door and see Lex standing there.

He walks in, closes the door, and stands before him. "Yes, Son?"

"I have to tell you something."

"Want me to leave, Lex?" I ask him.

"No, stay," he states, taking my hand and squeezing it.

"Okay."

He turns his attention to his father. "I want to end this year with telling you a secret I've kept for years."

"Yes, Son?"

He takes a deep breath and looks back at me. I squeeze his hand now and he smiles, then looks back.

"Remember when Chloe had the gift of getting people to tell the truth?"

Lionel nods.

"Well, she asked me why I stuck to you, with all the pain you put me through. Why I didn't just walk away."

"Why didn't you?"

"It's because I wanted your love---more than anything else---I wanted that. And for years, I held onto that one hope but at that moment, I knew I would never get it."

He looks at his son. "You were wrong."

Now Lex nods. "And I've never been so glad for that fact."

He turns from Lex who looks at me. Then Lex walks close to him and touches his arm. He turns around and finds himself in his arms and I hear, "I forgive you, Father. Please forgive yourself for causing me pain for so long."

He backs away and looks at how vulnerable his son is now---even at this moment knowing that things have changed---he's wondering if maybe he was right and Lionel was wrong. But he proves him wrong again.

I watch as father and son embrace again and I feel a little teary myself. I pick up the dress bag. Then after one quick glance, I leave the room, as quietly as possible.

~

Outside The Bedroom

I close the door to our bedroom.

"Chloe?" makes me jump.

I turn to see Lana there.

"Geez---I have to get you a bell too!" I whisper, fiercely.

She walks up, smiling. "Let me guess----Lex and Clark?"

I smile back. "Yep. For two very well formed men, they can be very quiet."

"Tell me about it," she quips. And then gasps. "Chloe, I'm so sorry."

I take her hand and lead her towards the old guest bedroom I had been in before. I open the door and place the dress bag on the table, as she does her dress bag and her purse.

Then we stare at each other---a short distance apart.

"Pink?"

"Eh?"

"The dress."

"Oh, yeah---hot---yours?"

"Don't know yet. Lionel got it for me."

"Really?"

"Yep."

Then silence until:

"Lana, what are you sorry about?"

She lets out a sigh. "About me and Lex."

I give her a sympathetic smile. "Was it so bad for you?"

"No--yes---I don't know. I was confused. Clark and I broke up and I guess I was amazed that somebody like Lex would even look at me. And well, I was enthralled by being the center of his universe but it was all an illusion."

I walk up to her and give her a quick hug and then back away. "Now you know how I felt all those years about Clark."

"Eh?"

"Well, I was that way with Clark. I thought I loved him but he never loved me and I got beyond it. How can I fault you for feeling the same way, Honey. He was my illusion---Lex was yours. Now, Clark is your reality and Lex is mine. We're okay---although I could have done without the witchy stuff."

She laughs. "Me too---glad we're still friends. And for the record---the world doesn't revolve around either of us."

"Well, Lex's world revolves around me and Clark's world revolves around you."

"Agreed."

Then she smirks at me.

"What?" I ask.

"Want to see something?"

"Sure."

She goes into her pocket and turns around. Then she comes back to me, holding out her hand.

"Oh my God!" I gasp, as I look at the ring on her left hand. "He asked?"

"Yep."

"And you answered yes?"

"Of course I did, silly. After all, I love him---faults and all. Did Lex ask yet?"

"Well, Lex isn't as fast as Clark is---speed wise."

"True---probably waiting for the special time to ask."

"Clark didn't?"

"Well, he did blurt out the question after we kissed and before we did it."

"Bet he was blushing."

"You would win that bet."

I lift up her hand to look at the sparkling gemstone and smile. "It's beautiful, Lana. I'm so happy for you. So, I'm the maid of honor, right?"

"Like I would ask Lois. Please---she kept trying to take Clark away from me."

"Lana---well maybe a little. Besides I think she did express some interest to make Pete jealous---and you weren't interested in Clark back then, Lana."

"I was always interested in him---even when I was with Lex. Sometimes I think I was with him to make Clark jealous too."

"Probably. So, no Lois in the wedding party?"

"Well, maybe---if we can get her and Lucas together as partners---in the wedding party of course."

I ponder that, thinking, Lucas does need some fun in his life and he loves to argue. What better person than my cousin---and she and Pete had broken up. Darn Pete---well, time to get Lois off the couch and back on the dance floor again. And Lucas might just be the key.

Wedding----Lana and Clark. Me in a non-pink gown, dancing with the man of my dreams and reality.

"Lex," I sigh.

"Clark," she sighs.

Then we look at each other, goofy grins on our faces.

"I'm glad Clark told me and Lex the secret---and that he took the chance with Lionel, your father, Lois, and Lucas."

"I am too. But then, Lionel changed after the Jor-el/Zod incident---and my dad can keep a secret---and you and Lex---and Lucas---well, I found out and I felt lonely at the top. All of you changed and that's what led Clark to finally tell you. If he didn't, you would never be fully with him and the others would never fully be his friend, right."

"Right."

"As to Lois---you can't keep a secret from her too long, can you?" I ask Lana.

"Evidently she is sharper than a tack."

"And just as hurting," I quip. Then I sigh. "She's not that bad, is she, Lana?"

"Nope---we're like sisters. Although---"

"Yeah, in small douses she's great," I quip.

After a few minutes, we look at the dress bags. "Lana---help me get ready?"

"Only if you help me---I'm all thumbs today."

"Deal---and I do have some stuff left in the bathroom---make-up, I mean."

"Brought mine in my purse."

I walk over to get both our bags and watch her pick up her purse. We walk towards the huge bathroom and I open the door, allowing her in first. She gasps at the room.

"My God, Chloe---this is so big."

"Luthors don't do anything small." Then I blush at the innuendo. "Sorry."

She turns to look at me and laughs. "Innuendoy Chloe coming out to play, I see."

My laughter fills the room until I open up my bag and stare at the vision before me. "It's---"

"---perfect," she states, closing the door behind us.

~

A Few Hours Later - Luthor Mansion - Guest Bathroom

Finally---finished. Lana and I look at each other in the mirror and sigh.

"We look good," she states.

"We look good enough to be kept in this bedroom."

"What?"

"Lana, Lex and Clark are going to be so close to us tonight because of how we look that they'll want us away from the party."

"To have some indoor fun becuase they can't keep their hands off us?"

"Wow, who knew you had that in your clean mind, Lana."

"You started it," she quips.

Before I can answer her, we hear a knock at the door. "That them?"

"Too early."

I walk out of the bathroom and yell out, "Who's there?"

"It's me, Lois---can I come in?"

I look at Lana and she nods her head. I open the door and look at my cousin, all in green. She gasps.

"You two look wonderful."

"You don't look half bad yourself, cousin," I state, with a smile.

I look her up and down---a deep emerald green gown---full skirt like mine and Lana's---with spaghetti straps and a little dip at the bust line. Just a little dip.

"So, you trying to snare Lucas?"

She widens her eyes and then gives me a sly smile. "How'd you know?"

"His favorite color, Lois," Lana answers, walking closer to us.

"Lana---I need to apologize," Lois starts.

"About what?" Lana asks, smoothing down her full skirt and adjusting her spaghetti straps,

Ever the lady, Lana, I think.

"Me going after Clark---I'm sorry---I was trying to make Pete jealous."

"Well---there was a lot of that going around. Lois---I'm sorry it didn't work out with Pete but look at it this way. If I can get Clark to get a clue and give me this, maybe Lucas might actually see you as something more than a banter partner," she states, putting out her hand for Lois to see.

"Oh my God---where's my sun glasses. The glare from that gem---going to blind me."

I start to laugh and Lana joins me.

"Wait till we see Chloe's from Lex."

My cousin looks at me. "He asked you?"

I let out a sigh. "Not yet."

I turn away from the girls, smoothing down my skirt, jewel-tone purple, and feel like I'm waiting for something that might never come.

I know that Lex loves me---I truly do. But I also know that his first two marriages---well, any man would take a bit of time to ask the question after those two bad turns. I don't blame him---and if I have to live in sin for a while longer, I'm okay with it.

"You okay, Chlo?" I hear Lois ask, just behind me.

I nod my head.

"You sure?"

I nod my head.

"Okay---as long as you are sure."

I hear her walk away and then turn around. "Well---maybe a little not okay."

"I understand," both girls say together.

"I mean, I'll wait forever but---"

"He loves you---just remember that," Lana says, with the wisdom of the ages.

"I know. So, shall we go down, ladies?"

"Well, we'll go down but Lex said he wanted you to wait for him." Lois replies.

"Okay---why?"

"Because he has a surprise for you."

"Really?"

Lois nods her head and then turns her attention to Lana. "So, Miss Lang, shall we go and dazzle the guys?"

She nods her head and walks with Lois to the door. Then she turns to Chloe. "You really look incredible, Chloe. If we don't see you tonight, we'll know why."

"Gee, stop with the innuendo's, Lana. I might be out of a job. By the way, where'd you learn to be so good at it?" I quip.

"Lois."

I snort at that and watch them walk out the open door, closing it behind them. Now to wait. I sit on the bed and do just that.

~

Outside the Bedroom Door

Lex's POV

After my father/son chat with Dad, we went down to join Lucas and Clark. Lana and he had arrived and he said she was up there, helping Chloe to get ready---and Chloe hopefully doing the same---she was all thumbs tonight.

An hour later, Lois arrived and to say my brother was taken by how she looked would have been the understatement of the year. He kept glancing at her and I smiled at Clark, who obviously noticed it too.

Clark walked over to me and:

'Looks like Lucas might be smitten.'

'Smitten?'

'The way he's looking at Lois---I think he wants her.'

I looked over at Lois and Lucas and smiled. I looked back at Clark. 'I'd say so. Clark, I'm sorry about Lana and---'

'No---we went over that. It's water under the bridge. Besides, knowing Lana, she probably did it to make me jealous too.'

'Obviously it worked. So, how's it going?'

'Want to be the best man, Lex?'

'I am the best man, Clark. I---oh, OH---you're---'

'---getting married.'

I remembered hugging him and being so happy that I started to tear up. He did too, from the sniffle or two I heard as evidence. Then we backed away, a little embarrassed but smiling. The other's joined us.

We all talked for a few minutes and then I asked Lois to tell the girls it was time to start the fun. As she left the room, I ran after her and amended it. Lana could come down---have Chloe stay there; I would come for her.

So here I stand---outside the former bedroom of hers---ready to give her the present I had waited so long to give her. And to offer her a sanctuary too, from the world.

I knock on the door.

"Come in," I hear her yell.

I open it and stare at the girl before me and gasp.

She's so beautiful in that jewel-toned gown of purple. A full skirt swishes as she goes back and forth on her feet, staring at me, nervous. Her top---spaghetti straps and dips just a bit, to show her ample bosom.

"I don't deserve you, Angel."

She smiles at me, as she walks towards me. "You think I deserve you?"

"I don't know. Do you?"

"Lex, I am blessed to have you in my life---even before we were here. You are my best friend and I might feel like I don't deserve you but I have you, right?"

I nod and smile, taking her hand. She makes me better---she calls me on things, she makes me think, challenges me, loves me, needs me, as much as I need her.

"We deserve each other, then. Like anybody else can handle us," she quips.

I chuckle at that. Then:

"I have something for you."

"Oh---is it bigger than a bread box?"

"Yes."

"Bigger than a car?"

"Absolutely."

"So, where is this big thing?"

"Close your eyes first."

She does that. She trusts me and that is one thing that is important to me. Without trust, there really can't be love. Or love can't survive---as well as friendships can't survive. Thankfully, not only we have it but our friends have it with us.

I lead her out the bedroom door, closing it behind us, and down the corridor. We stop and I take out the key and open the other door, turning on the lights.

"You can look now."

She opens her eyes and gasps.

"You like?"

She looks at me, her eyes brimming with tears and love. "God, Lex, this is the room---"

"---you used to hide in when my father came to talk to me during our little battle against him. I remodeled it a bit for you personally."

She nods and then moves away from me, walking to the center of the room to check it out.

This is hers---her own study---sanctuary to read, write, or just have a quiet time for herself.

There's mahogany desk on one side of the room---a computer and other paraphernalia for her use in writing. Also, there is a small bookcase beside it, for her reference materials.

Another side of the room has a fireplace---with shelves on either side, housing her favorites. There is a couch in front of the fireplace, so she can sit in front of it to warm herself or just enjoy the glow, while she reads. On the other side of the room, where the doorway is, are another couch and a couple of wing chairs, in case she would like to entertain company. Than on the other side is a small fridge and bar, filled with her favorite things to eat and drink.

All is done in earth tones---browns, greens, burnt oranges, and deep reds. And hazel---always that color---the color of her eyes.

She turns to me again and smiles. "Mine only?"

"Yours only."

"I can invite people in?"

"Yes."

She turns away and I know it's time. As she walks over to the desk and goes around it, I get into position. She looks at the computer and then looks up, at a man, kneeling before a love he never thought he would find. She gasps and walks away from the computer, the desk---all her focus on me now, on one knee.

"Chloe---"

"Yes!"

She's standing by me now and I smirk. "Can I do this right, please?"

"Oh, sorry---go ahead."

I snicker at that and close my eyes, opening them and watching her watch me.

"Chloe---from the start, you have challenged me to be a better person---called me on when I wasn't---knew my greatest secret and kept it. And never betrayed your friends---especially Clark, with his big secret that he was an alien. I trust you with everything I am---and you have deemed to trust me with everything you are. I know it's been over a year since we've been together but I guess you know the reason it took me so long to do this."

"Yeah, your gun-shy and I completely understand, Lex."

"See, that's another reason I love you so much---you can read me so well, as I can read you. Chloe, I never thought I would be going down this road again but I am. I thought love wasn't in my cards anymore but you proved me wrong. So, on the cusp of a new year, I would be honored if you would consent to be my wife."

I pull out the ring box and open it. It's not the biggest but it is special---my father gave it to me a couple of days ago---it was my mother's engagement ring---the only thing he kept of hers. Probably to remind him of her---now to pass it on to the next Luthor wife---and the last one, as far as I'm concerned for me---if she would just answer the question.

"Chloe?"

"Eh?"

"Your answer."

"You have it."

"Could you repeat it?"

She laughs and then gets down to my level. "Lex---from the start, I found you interesting and wanted to know more about you. And the more I found out, the more I wanted to find out. And somewhere down the line, it wasn't for stories as much as being interested in you as a person. And that night you told me the truth about what you wanted from your father, I knew it was too early to tell you but I started to fall for you, right there and then. So, yes, I will marry you."

I give ger a smile and then I place the ring on her finger. She smiles at its glistening properties and then back at me. "Your mothers?"

"How'd---no, forget I asked."

She leans in and kisses me gently. I lose my balance from it and we topple, her on top of me. I deepen it to the point where we both moan. But alas, we need air to breathe. I back away and give her my best evil smile.

"No---party downstairs---we'll party later up here. Right now, I want to show Lana my engagement ring."

"You sure?" I ask.

She's uncertain for a moment and then gives me her best evil grin. "Well, I guess we can be a bit late to the party. What'd you have in mine, Lex?"

"Christening the desk, maybe?" I smirk at her.

She shudders and gets up, giving her hand to me. I get up and lift an eyebrow.

"Oh, no way. The last time we did it on your desk, I had to go to the doctor to get my back into shape. It's the couch or nothing at all, Mister."

"Okay," I state, leading her over to the couch and some love making.

~

An Hour Later

Chloe's POV

We've finally arrived at the party. I get this smirk from Lana as I walk in, Clark by her side. My father is over in the corner, talking to Lionel. And the Kents look in my direction, smiling at the two of us.

"They know?" I ask Lex.

"Who do you think suggested I ask you in the library."

"Minus the candlestick of course."

"What?"

"Oh, Lex, you poor man. You have never played Clue, have you?"

"What?"

"The game---you know---Miss Scarlett in the library, with the candle stick?"

"Ahhhh---well, board games you need people to play with you. Solitaire, I'm good at."

"Awwwww," I say, with a sad look. "Tomorrow, I'll get Daddy to bring over Clue and then we'll play, okay?"

"I'd much rather spend the day in bed but what the lady wants, the lady will get. Besides, don't we need more than three people?"

"Clark and Lana can play too. Hey, Lucas and Lois too. Maybe your dad will want to join in. Finally, I can kill him without being sent to jail."

He gives me a smirk.

"What?"

"You like my father now."

"Well, yeah, but still, it's nice to be evil in a game and kill somebody sometimes."

"Ahhhh---like getting your homicidal tendencies out by watching horror movies."

"And they said you weren't smart?" I quip.

He just gives me a smirk which I kiss off his face. I move away from him, as the women join me.

"Let me see it!" Lana demands.

I put out my hand and she sighs. "It's so beautiful, Chloe."

She looks at my face and grins. "I mean, it's almost as beautiful as mine but not quite."

I laugh. "Right---let's just say they are both equally beautiful, shall we?"

"We shall," she agrees. Then:

"I want to see it!"

I watch as Lois pushes Lana aside, to get to my hand.

"Geez, Lois, it's not going to disappear at the stroke of 12," I laugh, as my cousin grabs it.

"Okay---where is it?" she quips.

I roll my eyes and lean into Lana, who stands beside me now. "You can't pick your relatives," I whisper.

Lois lets out a sigh. "It really is beautiful. I want one."

"You need a man before you can get one, Lois," I state.

She turns and looks over at Lucas, talking to his brother and Clark now. Then she turns and looks at us.

Lana sighs and pats her arm. "Go tell him how you feel."

"I can't."

"Why not?"

"I'm scared."

Martha puts her arm around Lois. "I was too---we all were. Just take that step and see where it leads. It ended up happy for us, why not you too."

"Do I deserve it---after going after Clark?" she asks, looking at Lana.

"Hey, we all make mistakes. We're all human---and yes, we all deserve love, even Lionel now," Lana says.

Lois smiles at her and then all of us. "You wouldn't mind?"

"Go!" we three say.

She turns and walks towards Lucas. We watch her lead him away from the two men into one of the corners of the room. Lionel gives me a wink as he notices this and I think, next time, it's your turn, dude.

"Chloe, may I see it?"

I look at Martha. "Sure."

I put out my hand to her and she smiles. "It's dazzling, Honey."

I look down at my hand and have to agree. There's something so perfect about a jewel that sparkles with life on one persons hand but not anothers. Like it belonged there as much as it did on Lillian’s so long ago. I look back at her face and smile.

"I'm so happy but what about---"

"---children?" Lana asks me.

I nod.

"He knows about it, Chloe. And he still loves you."

"I know---but I want him to have the chance at that too."

"We will, my love," we hear as he walks up to us.

They back away, as he comes closer and leads me away. "We need to talk."

I nod, as he leads me out the room and into the corridor, to talk.

~

The Talk

"Chloe?"

"Yes?"

"About kids---"

"Yes?" I sob out.

He pulls me into his arms. "For the moment, we can adopt---but in the near future, well---"

I back away. "What?"

He smiles. "We're pretty close to a solution for you and so many others, including your mother."

I smile. "Really?"

"Would I lie to you about something this important. Besides---"

"Yes?"

"If you haven't gone crazy now with all the evil meteor freaks after you---"

"Yeah, yeah, I get your drift but I think this is different."

"Which is why Luthorcorp is working on a solution, Sweetheart. Chloe, even if we never have kids ourselves, we can create a wonderful home for children who have been abandoned---just like Clark was taken in by the Kents. We can follow their shining example."

I nod, tears rolling down my cheeks. He pulls me back in and I let out a muffled, "I love you so much, Lex."

"I love you too."

I back away. "No, I really love you---faults and all."

"Yes, and I love you, faults and all. Chloe---what's wrong?"

Damn---I can't keep anything secret from the man---he must know I'm wondering if he thinks this will last. Well, I'll still try to lie.

"Nothing's wrong."

His eyes grown stern and then contemplative. "Chloe---three's the charm for me."

"Oh, you read me so well it's scary sometimes, Luthor," I quip.

"Turn about is fair play."

"Eh?"

"Did I ever tell you why I was nervous around you from the very beginning?"

"Because I could whip your butt?" I ask, smirking at him.

"No---because you could read me so well. I knew that keeping secrets from you was going to be an ongoing thing---and hard to do. After all you are a master researcher."

"That's true."

"And you can't be manipulated."

"True."

"But then, I got to know you that summer and I knew I had to stay away, just to protect you from my father."

"Sure---had nothing to do with the brunette in the other room with Clark."

"Well, she was a factor later on but not then. Chloe, I never loved her, you know that. I just wanted something that Clark once had."

"I know---envy makes you do stupid things. But you stopped---got them back together---and rebuilt your friendship with Clark. And Lana knows---it was only an illusion on her part---just like Clark was an illusion for me. You are my reality, Lex."

He takes my hand and kisses it gently. Then he leads me over to the other side of the hall. "Close your eyes."

I do that, trusting him completely. I hear him move away and then feel his presence once more.

"Open your eyes."

I do and see a yellow rose before me. "For the friendship that we had before and still have, even in love."

I take it, taking in its scent and smile. "It's lovely, Lex."

He smiles. Then:

"Close them again, please."

I do and then:

"You may open them now."

I do and before my eyes is another rose---red now.

"For the love I have needed for so long and found in you. You hold the secret I have always had deep in my heart. You knew why I stayed with my father and how I felt I would never find it with him. But I do now but even with it, I couldn't survive---I wouldn't want to survive---without your love."

I feel his love---it's tangible---like a great big tower, its beauty and grace gleaming in the sunshine. I sigh, looking at my ring and then back at him.

"Lex---I---"

"I know, I can be overwhelming at times," he quips, placing the rose into a vase he brought with the last one.

I hand him the other one and he puts it in the vase too. Then he walks away and places it on the nearby table.

He walks back to me, offering his hand to walk back into the room with him.

I wave it away and say, "Wait!"

"What?" he asks.

"You didn't let me say my peace."

"All right---speak away. But remember---New Years is coming up fast."

"Haha," I snort.

He just grins at me, waiting. Then:

"Lex---I'm a writer but at this moment, I don't know what to say. But I'll try. The first time you offered your help to get me away from your father, I wasn't sure if I should take it or not. But then, you took me down to that morgue and scared me half to death. I knew you didn't do that lightly or half-heartedly. I knew this was serious because you don't frighten people unless you know they are in terrible danger. I had to take you up on it. And during that summer, the one bright spot was seeing you---talking to you---beating you at cards. And the saddest part was letting you go. After that, when I got back home, you ignored me and that hurt, even though I knew deep down it was to protect me again. Then you showed interest in Lana and that made me jealous. Yes, I had Jimmy but I wasn't in love with him---I was in love with you. And I wanted to rip out Lana's heart and feed it to her."

He shivers at that and I grin. "Didn't think I was so evil did you, Lex?"

He smiles. "Obviously, you are, at least in your mind. Now, let's channel it to fighting evil, Ms. Shadow."

I smile. "Okay--maybe I need you to keep me on the straight and narrow. But I digress----so, finally, you dumped the brunette and we got closer and well, you see where we are now. Both half of a whole that is now back where they're meant to be."

He grins, pulling me back into his arms. "Two people should feel the love we feel for each other."

"They do---Clark and Lana, Mr. and Mrs. Kent and hopefully, Lois and Lucas."

He backs away. "Playing cupid again?"

"No, that's your job---I'm your sidekick remember."

"Hey Guys!"

We turn to see Clark there.

"Lucas and Lois are kissing," he states, with a grin.

"Clark----don't use your X-Ray vision," we both say to him.

"Why not?" he sulks.

"Oh, that's mature, Kent," I state, walking up to him with Lex.

"But---"

"Clark---privacy, remember. No using your gifts to interrupt a moment like that," Lex admonishes.

"I liked you better when you were bad," Clark huffs.

I shake my head and take his arm and Lex's. "Let's not start that again. Next Lex will say, he liked you better when you had the red rock on and then we'll have a pissing contest as to who was badder."

"No we won't," Lex and Clark state.

"Oh now you're making him immature too, Clark. What's next---going to pull the girls hair or put it in the ink well?"

They snort and I laugh as we go into the room and see everybody looking out the doorway to the balcony at the two people kissing.

"Hey!" I whisper fiercely to the crowd.

They turn around, chagrinned smiles on their faces. They walk away from the door and mingle amongst themselves.

"How the heck did you ever keep your secret, Clark, with all these nosy people around?" I ask him.

"Dumb luck?"

Before I can say another word, the two walk in and see sly grins on everybody's faces.

"What?" Lucas asks.

Lex walks up to him and looks at his lips. "You've got Lois' lipstick on your lips, Lucas."

"Ah--well---ummmmm---"

"We're in love!" Lois blurts out.

Lana starts to giggle and I join her. Lex just smiles at the outburst and slaps Lucas on the back.

Clark walks over. "Watch out for that one---she has a sharp tongue."

"Hey, I had to---yours was dull, Smallville."

"Hey, no casting aspersions on my future husband. I think he's perfect just the way he is---faults and all," Lana states, walking over to join Clark

"How can he be perfect and have faults, Lang?" Lois quips.

"Okay---practically perfect---just like Lucas is for you."

Lois nods her head and Lana bows, the graciousness showing once more. Lana---the peace keeper.

Lucas puts his arm around Lois' shoulder and she turns to smile at him. "Well?"

"Well what?" he asks.

"The guy is supposed to say something after the girl says something."

"Oh---okay---want a drink?"

She backs away and punches his arm, which gets laughter going in the room and from the offended too.

She smiles and rubs it. "You do love me, right?"

"Obviously, since I take this from you. Either that or I'm a glutton for punishment."

She's about to hit him on the arm again when he grabs her and we get a scene from an HBO movie right in front of us.

"Oh, get a room, Son," Lionel finally shouts out.

He backs away. "Dad---she's---"

"I know---I've got two sons in love with reporters and I'm okay with it."

"Ex-reporter," I say.

"I stand corrected. So, shall we get the champagne poured and toast what has happened tonight?"

"To the New Year coming, Father," Lex states.

"That and Lucas finally finding love---and you and Clark getting engaged to Chloe and Lana."

I walk over to Lex and look at Lana. "Double it up? And LOis as our bridesmaid with Lucas as the best man?"

"I was thinking the same thing myself. June wedding?"

"Nawww---too traditional. How about a winter wedding. A horse drawn carriage to take us to the church---snow flakes falling on our white fur-trimmed cloaks---"

"---and finding our loves at the end of this journey, waiting patiently for their hearts desires," Lana sighs out.

"Okay, when did we become walking commentaries to Hallmark, Lana?"

"When we loved and were loved back---no secrets, no lies," she states, hugging Clark.

I smile, no jealousy or unrequited love left in my heart. Just relief that Clark would no longer be alone.

Then I look at Lucas and Lois, smiling at each other and then him leaning in, whispering something that makes her blush.

I look at the Kent’s, together for so long but still looking like newlyweds.

Then I look at Lionel and my father, both thinking---about the women they once professed their love to and I pray that someday they will find somebody just as wonderful again.

I feel him looking at me and I look up.

"We have our hearts desires now."

I nod. "And those who don't have had it in their past and hopefully will again, in their future."

"Yes, they will, if you have anything to say about it."

"No, if we do," I state, leaning up to kiss him softly on the lips.

What a way to end and start a New Year, I think, before losing myself in my hearts desire's kiss.

The End.

carly
17th February 2007, 12:56
Aw! That was so sweet:D
Great story, and the idea of Lois&Lucas just brilliant:rofl:
I only sorry that this will never happen in the show, but still I have yours stories to bright up my day,right:blinkkiss
I'll be looking forward for more of your work:D

starmoon
1st March 2007, 07:30
love this story it is so sweet and wonderful and all the couples were perfect.

Nonhalema
17th June 2007, 13:45
"Clark and Lana can play too. Hey, Lucas and Lois too. Maybe your dad will want to join in. Finally, I can kill him without being sent to jail."

Loved this part the most...was laughing my ass off...

great work