PDA

View Full Version : Alone For Christmas (PG-13) - Complete

PMD
8th December 2006, 21:19
Well, here's my christmas fare for this year. And you'll notice that for the first time ever, I have acknowledged Zod but only because I wanted to explain why Lionel was nice now. Enjoy. And if you want a New Years Eve piece sequel to this, all you have to do is ask. :)

Title: Christmas Fic - "Alone For Christmas"

Author: PMD

e-mail: mary.davidson@sympatico.ca

Rating: PG-13 (for situations and Language)

Category: Friendship, Chlex, Holiday Fic, Chloe and Lex's POV's, AU

Spoilers: Anything is fair game when it comes to Smallville.

Summary: Chloe's not alone for Christmas this year.

Disclaimer: To whomever owns Smallville, its characters, Christmas, New Years, any sayings found within, and Lexus, I'm just borrowing them, will give them back, not making any money with their use in this piece, so don't sue me.

Archive: At BAFsFF, BtS, BT2, Electricchlex, N.S. Forums, and SPP for the time being. If anybody else wants it, all they have to do is ask

Author Notes: This is dedicated to everybody on the lists and N.S. Forums. I hope you have a happy and healthy holiday's everybody. Enjoy my gift from me and my muse to you.

Christmas Fic - "Alone For Christmas" - by PMD

Lex's POV

Prologue - I talked to her father---he won't be home until Christmas is over and done with---bad weather. I'm a bad man for having him go---now to pick up the pieces.

~

Outside Chloe's Townhouse

I sit in my car, watching her. She's sitting on the steps, watching the people go by and I smile.

This is what makes her a great reporter---no make that great novelist.

She'd given up on being a reporter about 6 months ago---letting Lois take her job at the Daily Planet. I guess dealing with my father took its toll there. But she didn't mind---onto bigger and brighter things. And with my help, I got her an agent and she was about to finish her first novel.

Its Christmas now and you would think she would take some time off, watching people walk by. But then, she's always said, Christmas is her favorite time for people watching. Now to tell her the bad news---no father this year. Maybe a best friend could help ease the pain, even if he was bringing the pain right to her doorstep.

I open the car door and get out, looking over the top of my Lexus.

"Hey!" I yell out.

She looks my way and smiles. "Hey yourself. Want to come watch?"

"Don't mind if I do," I state, closing the door and locking it with my keys.

I walk over and dust off the steps of its light spattering of snow. Then I sit and get comfortable.

"So, why are you really here?" she asks.

I look at her as she stares at me. "Never could hide anything from you."

"Well, there was that time with the brunette barmaid," she quips.

"You are going to throw that into my face for how long?" I quip back.

"For the rest of my life, I think," she adds, with a grin. Then it goes away. "He's not coming---the weather is bad, right?"

I give her a tired smile. "Yes, I'm sorry, Chloe."

She sighs. "It's not your fault, Lex. I know that Luthors have a lot of power but controlling the weather---I think that's beyond your sphere of influence, right?"

"Yes, but I could have suggested---"

"No---my dad wanted to do it. It's his idea and his baby, even if it's your company. He wouldn't have allowed anybody else to do the presentation---you know that as well as I do."

"Stubborn man," I sigh out.

"Well, it runs in the family, dude. You should know that by now."

"Yes, I have run into Lois' brand of stubbornness once in a while," I quip.

"Yeah, well, she is a stubborn person---although I think Pete has tamed her a bit."

"Who would have thought Pete could have done that feat."

"Or he would actually like you," she adds.

"What's not to like."

She whispers, "Let me count the ways."

"Excuse me?" I state, with mock hurt in my voice.

She laughs and my eyes narrow. "It's funny?"

She leans into me, wrapping her arm around my waist. "I'm kidding. Of course there's a lot to like about you."

"And that would be?"

"Well, you are good as an agent getter. And you are kind of good looking and passable at small talk and snark."

"Gee thanks. Why not just say I have a good personality and get it over and done with."

"Awww---come on Lexy---you know you are sexy, right?"

I raise an eyebrow and snort. "Yes, I'm pretty sexy but I can never attract the right girl."

"Well, maybe this Christmas, Santa will bring you the right girl, gift wrapped under the tree."

"I have no tree this year at the penthouse."

She backs away. "What? Why?"

"Well, I was wondering if I could spend it here with you, since your father won't be back in time. Could I?"

"Awwww--of course, dude. Me casa es su casa."

"That's good to hear because---"

"---you have your bags in the car."

"Only one---unlike you---"

"Do not go there or you will be sleeping in your car."

"But that would get me arrested."

"And your point?" she quips at me.

"Okay---point taken. So, you do have the guest bed made up, right?"

"Of course. I was expecting my father, remember."

"Right---I forgot---sorry."

"No problemo, dude."

I get up and dust my coat off. Then I step on the sidewalk and almost go flying. Her getting up to join me stops me from doing that.

"Thanks," I state, turning around and giving her a grateful look, at her saving me with her steadying hands.

She smiles and gestures to the car. "Need some help to get to it, old man?"

I glare at her. "I wouldn't want you to hurt yourself helping your elder to the car."

She laughs and then gives me a patented Chloe smile that warms me to my very core and I think once more, why didn't we ever get together? Okay---getting too sentimental at Christmas again, Lex.

"Lex, you aren't getting older; your getting better," she states, bringing me out of my thoughts.

I give her a patented smile of my own that few see. And then add a little sexy smirk at the end, that causes her to blush. Okay, maybe we should try, I think.

"Lex---car---before New Year?"

I roll my eyes, turn around, and head towards it again, this time steady in step but not in heart, that is racing like a runaway train.

I open the trunk and bring out my bag. And then bring out the presents for her and her father, in two big bags. I sense her joining me. Then:

"I thought you said you had only one bag?"

I look at her. "One bag of clothes---these are---"

"---Christmas presents---for me and my dad?" she asks.

"No, I've decided that Santa should have something to open when he comes down the chimney," I snark at her.

She just starts to laugh---she sounds like bells ringing when she does. Like soft pealing of the chimes. She sounds like an angel. Okay--waxing now, Lex. Maybe you should try to give her a kiss and then see what happens. Where is the mistletoe when you need it the most?

She touches my hand and I look at her, standing there.

"So---need some help with the packages?"

I nod, giving her the two bags of gifts and take my own bag, walking behind her and into her townhouse.

~

Christmas Eve

Chloe's POV

I knew that Lex coming here was because my father couldn't make it home but I hoped it was something more.

For years we've been friends but something happened a year or so ago---I saw him as something so much more---but did he feel the same.

I joked to him about finding a girl wrapped beneath the tree for him this year---but I was seriously thinking I might just do it, with me. But that passed quickly when he said he didn't have a tree this year. And I let it pass. But maybe I shouldn't.

I watch as he sits on the couch, reading what I've written for the novel. He laughs at some of it and then smiles at the rest. I done good. He's my worst and best critic and right now, he's loving what I'm writing. Just wish I knew if he loved the author more.

I let out a sigh, placing the eggnog down and the cookies I baked. He looks up from the transcript.

"What's wrong?" he asks, putting the novel aside and picking up the eggnog, taking a sip.

"I need to get laid!" I quip.

Which causes me to get splattered by eggnog.

"Gee thanks, Lex," I state, brushing off the nog from my clothes.

"You surprised me," he says, with an astonished look.

"Well, here's another headline---you need to get laid too."

His eyes widen again and then go back to their intense selves. "Okay---are you offering me sex at Christmas as a present?"

"I don't know---would you accept it as a gift?"

"Chloe!"

"Lex---I'm kidding!"

I sit down beside him and he leans in. "Right---of course you are."

Wow---what the guy can say with his voice---why did his wives try to kill him? Oh, right---they were homicidal maniacs.

"Chloe?" he whispers at me.

I hide a whimper deep inside and back away, smiling at him. "More eggnog?"

"Thanks but I think I've had enough."

"Okay---want to try my goodies?"

"Chloe!"

"Lex, my cookies---not me. Wow, mind out of gutter, please. It's Christmas."

"Okay---I think I will."

He leans over to grab a cookie that I placed on the table in front of us and takes a bite.

"Nice," he states, enjoying the cookie.

He makes short order of it and another. but I stop him at that.

"Must not get pudgy for the new girlfriend, must we?"

He rolls his eyes and then picks up the manuscript, effectively shutting off conversation again.

About a half an hour later, I get up and clear my throat. He looks up. "What?"

"Time for bed."

"Oh?" he states, suggestively.

"To sleep."

"Oh," he says.

He gets up and walks towards me. "Can I take this to bed with me?"

"Sure---happy reading, Lex."

"Good night, Chloe."

He walks over to the doorway and then looks up. "Just my luck---mistletoe and nobody to kiss under it."

I sigh and walk over to him. "Okay---kiss away, dude."

He leans down and kisses my cheek. I feel this dizziness inside me but won't show it to him---I have my pride. I open my eyes.

"Good night, Chloe."

"Night, Lex," I state, watching him leave.

So, you might have feelings for me, eh, Lex? You might have just kissed my cheek but I could see something in your eyes after you did that. Something akin to uncertainty. I've never seen that with you for any of your other girls. Okay---I'll take the bull by the horns and be a Christmas gift to you. Now where is that red Santa’s Helper suit?

~

Christmas Morning

Lex's POV

I stretch and open my eyes, looking at the clock. 9 it says---guess it's time to get up and get dressed.

Christmas' when I was a younger were like most other days, after my mother died. In fact, most times I was still at the boarding school, unless I was kicked out and then I came home to an empty home and a tree with presents. Oh, I would have given up all that my father had given me, just for one hug and an 'I love you' from him.

Ever since dealing with Zod though, he'd changed. He'd become more like the father I had always wished for. I was unsure at first but he eventually convinced me, thanks to a couple of good friends.

She just listened to him and saw how at ease he was after dealing with Jor-El. How having him in his body allowed him to see how important family was. And residual feelings from Jor-El for Kal-El, were still within him. He remembered---when I didn't---he remembered who Clark was. Clark eventually told me---and I knew that Chloe accepting the new Lionel and Clark accepting him too, lead me to accepting also.

However, this year, he was off to see Lucas for Christmas. I would have gone too but Chloe would have been alone for Christmas and I couldn't allow that to happen.

Lex, face it---something happened to you too, after the Zod incident. You saw how precious life was and wanted to find somebody to share it with. And every time you thought of somebody, it was Chloe's face before you. Time to stop fighting the inevitable and be with her. Wondering why you never were with her is no longer an option. Take the bull by the horns and tell her, you are falling for her. Or have fallen for her.

I grab my robe and make my way to the bathroom, knocking on it to make sure she's not there. She isn't and I make quick use of it and go back to my bedroom, putting on my clothes that I laid out and taking myself and the manuscript downstairs.

It's good---a best seller for sure. She really does know how to turn a phrase---always has, always will.

I walk into the living room and stop, gasping. Oh God---she does---

My thought processes stop and my widening eyes take over.

There, underneath the tree, are my presents and some of hers too. But in the middle, she's there, a bright red bow on her, along with her Santa's Helper costume. She's fast asleep---a slight snort heard once in a while. And then she starts to groan.

I place the manuscript on the table nearby and kneel beside her. I lean in and hear:

"Lexxxxxx."

She's dreaming about me? Course she is, idiot. She's there for you.

"Lexxxxx----open me up before I freeze to death down here."

I jump back as she opens her eyes and laughs.

I just give her a smirk and she gives me one back, until I have to chuckle.

"So, how long have you been awake?" I ask her, sitting beside her laid out body.

"About the time you entered the room. You should take stealth lessons, Lex."

"Hmmmm----maybe I won't open you up. I'll reject you, I think."

"In that case, I would have to leave my job," we hear from another male voice.

We look to the doorway and see a slightly snow-covered father, shaking off some of it.

I quickly back away to allow her to get up and run towards him.

"Daddy---how did you---?"

"You forget, Chloe. We have a superhero as a friend."

"Clark---of course---why didn't I think of calling him?" I ask.

"You were maybe distracted by my beautiful daughter?" he asks me.

"No, that wasn't it," I quip.

She snorts. "You know what---I think I'll rethink being your gift this year, Lex."

I walk over to them, taking Gabe's offered hand and shaking it. Then he walks out into the hallway and puts his coat on the rack.

He looks back as us and then gestures upwards. We both look and see the mistletoe there. Then we look at him.

"Okay---I can take a hint. I'll take my bag upstairs."

"Oh no---Lex's is in there, Daddy," she states, with a worried look.

"I'm sure Lex's clothes will be finding their way into your bedroom tonight, dear. Just try to be a little quiet---I'm a light sleeper you know."

"Daddy!" she admonishes, blushing like a new bride.

He just smiles at her and takes his bag, walking up the stairs, with a chuckle or two for effect.

I laugh and she glares at me. "You think it's funny to be embarrassed by your own father?"

"Well, I have been since Zod disappeared from our lives---I think it's your turn now."

She shakes her head and starts to move away from me.

"Hey!"

She turns around. "What?"

I point up. She just grins. "What will you give me for a kiss?"

I want to quip but I can't. Now's the time to come forward and make sure she's never lonely on Christmas ever again.

I put out my hand and she takes it. Then we're under the mistletoe again and I lean in, whispering, "No more alone for Christmas---or any other day."

I back away to her widening eyes and then tears. "Did you just say what I thought you said?"

"That you won't be lonely anymore because I want you with me, from this day on?"

"Geez---Luthor. Words are great for communicating but sometimes you go overboard with them. A simple, I love you would suffice."

I lean in again. "I love you," I growl.

She wraps her arms around my neck and looks up. "I love you too, Lex."

"I know."

"You did not, you big liar."

"Okay---I suspected."

"Yeah, around the time Zod disappeared and you came back."

"And the time I refused to have anything romantically to be with Lana ever again and get her back with Clark, right?"

"That sounds about right."

"Do I have to come down and force you guys to kiss!" we hear from upstairs.

She starts to laugh again and then it gets serious. Just before I lean forward again, she states, "Lex, this is forever, right?"

I nod.

"You sure---I can't deal with another broken heart from a friend. I survived Clark---I don't think I could survive you breaking it."

I back away and brush her cheek with my thumb. Then I take the ribbon and pull it off her, tossing it aside and looking at her.

"A gift to last a lifetime---I like that. I don't think I'll send it back for anything in the world."

"Good---because this has a no return policy," she quips.

"Smart move," I state, before I lean down and capture her lips in a deep kiss that lets us both know that from now on, neither of us will be alone for Christmas ever again.

The End.

lj715
8th December 2006, 21:31
I liked it so much...very sweet. A New Year's Eve sequel would be great. Excellent job!

starmoon
28th December 2006, 09:54
very sweet and funny story i loved it.

krahmogh
2nd January 2007, 20:40
yes, a sequel would be great

Ami Rose
22nd January 2007, 11:32
Awwwwwww... How cute!

Nonhalema
17th June 2007, 13:28
Great work and moving on to the sequel