PDA

View Full Version : Peace And Quiet (PG-13)

PMD
11th November 2006, 23:05
Title: For Charlie, Chris, David, Esther, and Tasha - "Peace And Quiet"

Author: PMD

e-mail: mary.davidson@sympatico.ca

Rating: PG-13 (slight Language)

Category: Friendship, Chlex, Chloe's POV, AU

Spoilers: Anything is fair game in Smallville.

Summary: Chloe needs some peace and quiet.

Disclaimer: To whomever owns Smallville, its characters, and James and the Giant Peach, I'm just borrowing them, will give them back, not making any money with their use in this piece, so don't sue me.

Archive: At BAFsFF, BtS, BT2, Electricchlex, N.S. Forums, and SPP for the time being. Anybody else wants it, all they have to do is ask.

Author Notes: This is dedicated to four very good friends. For Charlie, who keeps asking, when is the next piece coming---it's here, dude. <g> To Chris, who listens to my ideas with baited breath----breathe sweetie---it's here. <g> To David, my tireless friend in writing Smallville still---my collaborator, my friend, my ex-beta---this ones for you, dude. <g> To Esther, who has inspired us all to write with her own special charm and grace. <g> And to Tasha, who needs this more than any of us, at the moment. Sweetie, I salute your wonderful Chlex talent with this piece---or hope I do. : ) Enjoy.

For Charlie, Chris, David, Esther, and Tasha - "Peace And Quiet" - by PMD

Prologue: Silence and quiet, that's all I ask for, when studying. Is that too much to ask.

~

Metropolis Dorm Room

Why oh why did I end up in party central? I mean, at least they fall asleep, eventually, but this running up and down the corridor while I'm trying to study---maybe the library isn't that far away. But then there are loud people there and the whispering shussshs from the librarian and seeing people making out there---not a good idea.

I let out a sigh and walk over to the door, opening it.

"Excuse me," I shout at somebody running by.

He stops and turns around. "Hey---why haven't we met before?" he asks, walking over to me.

"Because I don't date jerks."

He glares at me. "I'm not a jerk."

"Okay, prove it."

"What do you want me to do---take you to bed and make you scream?"

I hold back the eye roll. "No---just please tell them to be a little more quiet---I'm studying."

"Go to the library," he states, before running down the corridor.

"You're not a jerk--you're a jackass," I yell, before I slam the door.

I walk back over to the bed and my book again.

A few minutes later I hear yelling outside and laughter.

"That's it!"

I get up, grab my backpack, and stuff all my stuff into it. Then I put my laptop in its case, grab my purse and keys, sling my backpack onto my back, and open the door.

"I am not giving up---I am just going to visit a friend, if anybody wants to know," I yell out, slamming my door and making my way to the exit.

"Hey, stay and play," I hear somebody say. Then that somebody grabs me.

I twirl around and give him my best slap. He falls away and I turn back and towards the Exit.

"Nobody touches me, unless they have my permission," I state, as I leave the madhouse.

~

Lex's Condo Building

Okay, he said I could come to his penthouse if I needed to. Except, maybe I should phone him on my cell, just in case he's got the next in the line of brunette curses in the house.

I park my car and I take it out, pushing a button and then hearing the phone number going through:

'Hello?'

"Lex."

'Chloe?'

"Yeah, it's me---can I come up?"

'What's wrong?'

Never could pull the wool over his eyes. I let out a sigh.

"It's too loud in my dorm again. And this guy made a pass at me---but I slapped him."

I hear a chuckle at his end.

"It's not funny."

'No, of course not---but I would have loved to have seen his face after you did that---you have a really mean slap.'

I laugh now. Wait---how---"How do you know about my slaps?"

'Ah---an investigator?'

"I would have seen an investigator---gossip, maybe?"

'Yeah, that's it---gossip. So, come on up and you'll get plenty of silence---except for me possibly screaming at the computer.'

"Lex, you know screaming at a computer doesn't help the problem, right?"

'I know but I feel better afterwards. Come on---I'll get James to put on a pot of coffee.'

"Coffee---you are too good to me, Luthor."

'Yes, I am---but it's worth it.'

"Thanks, Lex."

'For the coffee---not a problem.'

"No--for sanctuary for me. I really need this. See you in a bit."

'See you in a bit,' he answers back before I hear him hang up.

~

The Luthor Penthouse

I'm standing outside his door, just having had to endure the lecherous looks from a fellow owner of a condo on the 11th, on the elevator. I let out a sigh and knock.

The door opens and there stands Lex. "Hi."

"Hi," I huff, walking in with my stuff.

"What's wrong now?" he asks, closing the door.

"You really want to know what's wrong since I talked to you." I ask, after putting my stuff down.

"I wouldn't have asked if I didn't want to know. Come on---sit down---I have a feeling this is going to take awhile."

I drop my stuff and let him lead me to his couch. We both sit, and then silence for a moment. Then:

"So?"

"So, where are James and the coffee?"

"Shouldn't that be where are James and the Giant Peach?"

I snort. "Very funny, wiseass."

"Sir---coffee is served."

I look up to watch James walk in with it. "Thank God and you too, James," I state.

"God and I know how you are without your caffeine fix, Miss Chloe," he says, smiling as he puts down the coffee before us.

I smile at him.

"You know me so well."

"Yes and you are a wonderful person to get to know."

"Awww---Lex, I think your manservant is flirting with me. James, if you were 20 years younger, I'd run away with you."

"Why when you can have a man like Master Lex."

"Excuse me?" I ask him.

I look at him and then Lex. "Lex, what's he talking about?"

"Nothing---James, you can go now."

"Yes, Sir."

He walks out, backwards, and then we're alone again.

"One lump or two?" Lex asks, as he pours the coffee.

"Lex, what the hell was he talking about? A man like you, I can get?"

He places the sugar down and sighs. Then he takes my hand.

"Chloe, the operative word is like---not me---like me. Somebody who appreciates you for you."

"Oh," I state, a little saddened.

He lets go of my hand and I watch him stare at me.

"Oh, lumps---well, one is fine. I'm sweet enough."

He laughs and then hands me the coffee, after the sugar is added.

For the next 10 minutes we talk about life, work, school, and various other things. Then I let out a sigh.

"Guess I should get to work on that darn paper."

"What's it about?"

"It's called Peace and Quiet. How people are so rapidly running around that they have heart attacks and strokes because of stress. And how maybe finding peace and quiet in your life, even 5 minutes a day, might help. And what is peace and quiet to some---including me."

"What's peace and quiet to you."

"Being here with you---talking---ranting---getting it out---that's what peace is to me. And then the quiet takes over while you and I work on separate things---unlike the dorm, where they yell and scream at each other."

"Well, I'll see if I can find five minutes in my schedule every day from this day on for you then. Course, it'll be beneficial to me too."

"I'm your peace and quiet?" I ask, with a slight grin.

"Let me put it this way---you are my sounding board when it comes to my father. And I do like that afterwards we can be in the same room, in companionship quiet---unlike girls who need to talk all the time to keep my attention."

"I knew that," I state, getting up from the couch. "So, where can I set up?"

"Well, I have some work left to do in my study---there's a couch there too---and a coffee table---you can work in there too."

"Sure---let's be study buddies---in a manner of speaking."

He gets up. "Study buddies? I never thought of work that way but I guess I am studying human nature. Shall we?"

He offers his arm and I take it. Then:

"James!"

He appears.

"Could you please bring Chloe's things to my study---and keep the coffee going."

"Yes Sir."

~

Lex's Study

I settle down, taking out my computer and my notes that I have. Then I stare at the blank page, with just the title there. Where to start? At the beginning, idiot!

After a few minutes, I start to type, the words flowing like wine. I smile as I type and start to hum something I heard on the radio today. I laugh at a certain part; this is just perfect---peace and quiet---and then I sense something.

I can feel him glancing at me and I try not to smile or let on. I concentrate on the computer before me, typing, and then notice---what was once making sense, is now nonsense. Gibberish. Man, those glances are so lethal.

"Stop looking at me," I state, not looking up from my task of deleting the gibberish.

"I'm not."

"Yes you are," I say, now looking up at him.

"How do you know I was looking at you?"

"Because---I just know."

"Okay, I'll try---but it's hard not to look at a beautiful woman."

"Luthor, you are just so full of it."

I look back down at my computer, blushing and hoping he just thinks it's the heat in this place that's doing it.

I sense a movement in the air and then feel him sit beside me.

"You don't think you're a beautiful woman?"

"Not really."

"I don't understand why not."

I look up from my computer, thinking he's making a joke but instead see this quizzical look on his face.

"You really don't, do you?"

"No, I don't. I think you are very nice looking and just don't understand why you don't think of yourself that way too."

"Lex, if you had to live in the shadow of Lana Lang, you would understand. She's like this goddess and I felt like a---I don't know, mortal around her."

He stares into my eyes, his piercing blue setting my heart free. He understands---he really does.

"Chloe, Lana is beautiful in a model sort of way but you are too. Your beauty is natural---just as captivating for the right guy."

"Yeah, well, where is he? I know that I'm a 21st century woman and I can make it on my own but really, I want somebody to share things with. And around Lana it's like---where's Chloe, even when I'm there."

"Honey, the right guy is right around the corner."

I look away, not wanting him to see me blush again, at the endearment that's meant just as a comfort. Then I decide to take a big leap. I turn back. I don't want any other guy---I want him.

"But I want---I don't know what I want."

"Somebody who loves you for you?"

Chloe, do it now, or live life alone.

"Yeah. Damn it---Lex. I want the guy right in front of me!"

Well, I never thought I would see the day Lex would turn all bug-eyed and not sure of what to say---but that day is here. Way to go, Chloe. Give the man a heart attack.

"Ah---what did you say?" he finally gets out.

I give him a false face. "Forget it---I was just pulling your leg."

I close my computer, or try too. Lex stops me and then moves a little closer.

"Don't fall back. I never loved Lana---how could I when you already had my heart."

"What?" I ask, about to have a heart attack myself.

Silence and then a smile. "I believe I just told you I love you."

"What---why---why didn't you tell me before?"

"Because I felt like I was living in the shadow of Clark and your love for him."

"Clark---hell, Lex, he was a school crush. Oh, sure, I wanted more but that would never be because---"

"Because?" he asks, getting closer again.

"Because the big duffus couldn't see me for Lana. Like I would always be second best to the perfect princess of his dreams."

"But you still loved him."

"Maybe---but it's gone now. I mean, how can he be a first love if he didn't love me back. Or how can he be a love period. Man, this is sounding like a bad soap opera, isn't it?"

"Well, let's be the super couple who never breaks up."

"Well, as long as you are the bad boy who turns good and I'm the girl that helps facilitate that, I'm all for it. I love you too, Lex."

"I know," he states, leaning towards me.

I move back. "What are you doing?"

"Well, I was trying to kiss you but evidently, I'm doing something wrong."

I laugh. "No--you aren't. I'm just---"

"---nervous?"

I nod.

"Will it help to say I am too?"

"Really?"

His hand moves to my cheek, gently touching it---causing me to gasp.

"Something as important as love must not be treated lightly but reverently, and tenderly. We'll take it as slow as you want, Chloe. I've waited this long, I'll wait a bit longer.

He takes his hand away and gets up. "Work---we can talk later."

"Lex?"

"Yes?"

"I think I've done enough on the paper tonight---and I'm betting you've done enough work, since you were looking at me. So, enough with the peace and quiet essay and you conquering the business world---let's go to bed."

He sits beside me again. "You sure?"

"Well, yeah, I am tired."

He smirks at me and leans in, growling, "All right, but I can't make any promises about sleeping tonight. You are just too good not to look at all night."

"See, I told you---you glanced at me!"

"Chloe!"

I laugh. "Ha---got you."

"You certainly have, you certainly have," he replies, leaning in to finally kiss me.

The End.

hfce
12th November 2006, 00:07
That was so sweet. It makes up for the crapola that is smallville. I am glad I gave up the show but kept the chlex fics.

Hope :)

westwingwolf
12th November 2006, 01:29
I love/need to read these sweet stories to keep my happy as I watch the pain that is SV. Love James, he is a smart man.

itsjustXchar
12th November 2006, 07:45
*sigh* AMazing!

Gaia
12th November 2006, 14:05
That was so cute! And the way James pointed the obvious..brilliant:)

Baily007
15th November 2006, 14:56
oh, this was sweet! You really write the best short stories, PMD :-)

PMD
17th November 2006, 06:45
Hey Guys:

Hope: Glad you enjoyed the piece and are still reading Chlex, sweetie, while the show has gone from your radar, as it has mine too.

Westwingwolf: Awww---thanks, sweetie. : ) As to James, well, he's very observant, isn't he. :: heehee ::

SuperChick: Awwww---thanks, hon. : )

Gaia: Awww---so glad you enjoyed it, sweetie. So glad you enjoyed observant James. I really enjoyed writing him here and other versions in other stories of him. : )

Bally: Awww---glad you liked it, sweetie. And thanks for the nice words on my short stories too. Trust me, with my muse so active, there will be more coming. : )

starmoon
29th December 2006, 23:02
great story and very sweet i love the end it was perfect.

Ami Rose
22nd January 2007, 12:58
how sweet! loved it!

Nonhalema
26th May 2007, 19:41
Loved it and now I am off to the sequel...cu

carly
26th May 2007, 21:03
Really, truly cute!!!!!!!!
I simply love your stories, and absolutely adore James!