Fandom: SMALLVILLE
Characters: CHLEX
Type: FIC
Link: http://khushiyan.livejournal.com/1928.html
Word Count: 3140
Set: 2
Theme/Prompt: #4. "IT SHOCKED ME!"
Rating: PG
Disclaimer: UNFORTUNATELY, I DON'T OWN EITHER CHLOE, OR LEX, OR SUPMERMAN.... OR ANYONE FOR THAT MATTER.....SO PLEASE DON'T SUE...
Warnings/Spoilers: ERM, ITS JUST SILLY. REALLY REALLY SILLY.
Summary: HE’S UP TO SOMETHING. BUT WHAT? (I SUCK AT SUMMARIES…)

Chloe Sullivan stood waiting for Lex Luthor outside her house, hoping that he would finally return from his errand and collect her. He was supposed to take her to his mansion for an ‘exclusive and intimate interview’… Or that’s what Chloe thought. Oh, as cunning and glorious as the daredevil reporter Chloe Sullivan was, she was neither cunning nor glorious enough to understand the infinite complexities of one Lex Luthor. And though she may try, in all truth, she may never succeed. For Lex Luthor was the embodiment of all those hardboiled fantasy’s young girls dream of, where they seem strong and beautiful, but inside they are hollow and alone.

Perhaps if Miss Sullivan occasionally (mind you, I do say occasionally. We can’t all be crime-fighting, caper-solving reporters now can we?) tried to look for something other than the catch of the day she’d find something in Mr Luthor worth noticing and keeping to herself (…for a change).

But these are other thoughts. One cannot ignore the impatience of young women for long. And as Chloe Sullivan stood waiting for that (darn) Lex Luthor, just as Juliet had once stood waiting for Romeo, or Desdemona waiting for her beloved Othello thinking of all the love they would have shared and multiplied, so Chloe thought of Lex, and how she would release her wrath, after he made her wait for over three hours. His little errand seemed to be anything but little. On the contrary, it seemed to be of great importance and magnitude, because Lex Luthor was never late. He may occasionally be tardy, or even a-little-after-he-was-supposed-to-be-there, but never late, (unless it was a meeting with his father, Lionel…but then you’re supposed to be late. It adds dramatic affect…).

Chloe was just about to go back into her house, and begin writing an excessively scathing and demeaning article on “The Bald and the Beautiful: How the Rich Never Care, and How We Never Stop Them” which would attempt to unveil the carelessness of those with power (namely Lex Luthor) when she stopped and stood on her steps. Although her article would be simply amazing if she did say so herself (even if she did blush at calling him Beautiful) she had to keep in mind that this interview with the boy (‘Or is it man?’) wonder could be a lot more satisfying, ‘And if I can put a spin on it, well then, I’m all for it…’ Chloe smirked viciously to herself as she thought of a fitting revenge.

As Chloe’s mind filled with strange punishments (‘drink llama milk for an entire year’) and stranger deals of blackmail (‘I won’t write anything too mean, so long as he wears a clown wig to his office for a week’), her mobile phone began to buzz in her satchel. Unknown Number. “Huh…” Chloe muttered as she clicked it open. “Hello?” She asked slightly apprehensive. Chloe melted (‘only slightly’ she would later argue) as she heard the deep voice of Lex Luthor, “Chloe, I’m so sorry. I got held up at the office.”

“Its OK Lex. I’m sure you do this to all the reporters who you want to write all sorts of scathing scandals and lies.”

"Most of those scandals are lies.” Chloe rolled her eyes.

“You know they’re not Luthor. The only lies are probably what your natural hair colour is. People say its blonde, but judging by those eyebrows and that picture of you in one of your rooms, you’re totally a red-head.” Chloe smiled slightly as she heard Lex chuckle. “So Luthor, when <I>are</I> you going to come get me? You know my baby’s at the shop.”

Chloe could feel Lex’s hesitation. “Well, that’s the thing. I can’t actually come and get you. Unfortunately, I’m in the middle of an important business meeting, and I can’t actually get out of it.”

“Oh, but you can sneak off to make a phone call to a young aspiring reporter and be interviewed by her!” Chloe screeched with severe annoyance in her voice.

“By the time you get here, the meeting will be over. So there’s really no point in wasting time: you should start walking now.” Chloe groaned in frustration and was just about to reply with a response too vulgar for even the rude mind of <I>me</I>, when Lex cut in, “Be here,” and closed his phone.

“ARGH!!” Chloe screamed. ‘Damn Lex Luthor. Just because he has a multi-billion company that can make and break lives, he thinks he can order people about! He’s just… annoying… and bald. Damn him…’ Chloe kicked the stoop and as well as instantly wishing she didn’t (it hurt), she tried to calm herself down. ‘Get it together Sullivan. You need to calm down and think of something equally mean but true about Lex.’ She told herself, unsure of whether she should be alarmed that like her cousin Lois, she was beginning to sound rather mannish with the last name, or that like her friend Lana, she beginning to talk to herself in third person…

Chloe took in a few deep breaths, as she made her way down her steeps and headed towards the Luthor mansion, ‘After all, if it all gets too much, I could just go back to the Planet and write how horrendous and cruel he is, boiling all those bunnies’.

Chloe arrived at Lex’s mansion a whole five hours after she had first scheduled the interview. With her favourite jeans covered in mud, Chloe continued marching along to give him a piece of her mind. Chloe was a little confused as she found the front gate wide open, ‘maybe he’s expecting me’, as well as the front door, ‘he invited me…’ and his study, ‘maybe he wants a study session?’

Not finding him anywhere, Chloe decided to retreat to the bathroom to rearrange herself, she was sure that her jeans had grown several new layers of unidentifiable creatures after traversing through numerous fields and that her hair had grown down to her bum considering how long she had been walking (time and space were not as normal for Chloe as they are for you and me, when walking through a field where a cow is looking at you in entirely the wrong way, it is easy to think that two hours have in fact, been two-hundred years). After inspecting herself in the mirror, she found that yes, her jeans were muddy, but that was reasonably accepted when considering her cow incident (‘I don’t like how it moo’d at me at all’), and her hair had not grown unbelievably long, but was its same short blonde self, only messier.

Chloe washed her hands and face, tried to get some mud off her jeans, failed and washed her hands again and headed towards the door (but not all at once. That would have been a feat only Clark Kent would be able to achieve…him and Wonder Woman, but she’s not even real). As she opened the door and walked out, she walked into something hard and body-like. Chloe looked up wide-eyed at none other than Lex Luthor.

“Oh, its you!” Chloe took a step back, an evil(ish) sneer painted on her face. “I suppose you now want me to write up how glorious and kind you are, rather than the truth I normally write?” She fumed, her mind slipping back to how he had left her.

“Come on Miss Sullivan, we all know that what your write is hardly true.” Chloe raised an eyebrow at the towering man. “…It’s made up ill-informed ‘facts’ and opinions.”

“Oh, so you didn’t punch someone at your friends restaurant?” Chloe leaned forward a little and clapped her hands in an exaggerated manner. Lex blushed slightly, and stayed silent.

“Ha.” Chloe laughed triumphantly. Lex rolled his eyes and sighed slightly.

“Fine, you beat me there. Why don’t we continue with the interview?” Lex began to walk down the hall towards a part of the mansion Chloe had never been to before.

“Continue? We haven’t even started yet.” She muttered, quite annoyed.

Lex meanwhile, was marching down the corridor full-speed-ahead. Anyone would think he was trying to run away from dear Chloe. ‘Either that, or he’s leading me to his laboratory to do some sick and evil experiment that will turn me into a psychotic fish’ Chloe’s mind wandered. “Hey, Lex, where are we going?” Chloe bit her tongue when she realised she had called him by his first name. And she was trying so hard not to!

“You’ll see.” Lex continued without turning. Chloe furrowed her brow in confusion. Now, Lex Luthor could be many things to Chloe Sullivan, most of them all jumbled together in one moment or word from his lips, but now, now he just remained one thing: infuriating. Chloe was cold, muddy and a mess. She had walked through all kinds of mud, gotten lost and nearly attacked by a cow and now, Lex was making her wait even longer! Oh, how the vehemence sparked from the blonde’s small body. Chloe was just about to run up to Lex and yell at him for being unbelievably rude, when he suddenly stopped walking altogether.

He turned slowly and looked at Chloe’s muddy clothes. “Hmm…” Chloe looked down to her mud covered jeans, before looking back at Lex with confusion.

“What?”

“You need…to come with me.” Lex spoke slowly, as if poor Chloe would not be able to understand the words coming from his mouth, as if his silver spoon had gotten stuck in his mouth.

“Um, if you hadn’t noticed I already was coming with you.” Chloe shot back angrily.

“No, I mean… you need to change out of these clothes.” Chloe raised an eyebrow, ‘Since when had Lex become an expert in women’s clothing?'

“Why? Its an interview, not the prom or anything.” Chloe folded her arms.
“It’s just a suggestion.” Lex muttered softly. But it was a suggestion Chloe decided to ignore. After a few more moments of arguing, Chloe demanded that Lex take her home since she was tired and severely annoyed. Lex of course, was a thoroughly persuasive character; using his charm and intellect, he persuaded Chloe to stay… since if she didn’t, she’d get fired from the Daily Planet for throwing away an excellent opportunity to interview the elusive Lex Luthor. Anyhow, Chloe relented, and followed Lex down the maze he called home. They eventually stopped at the end of a very long corridor, which seemed to lead right to the end of the house. Lex stood behind Chloe and sighed, “After you.” As soon as Chloe stepped into that room, she wished she had changed her clothes.

“Oh…my…God…” Chloe stood frozen to the spot.

“SURPRISE!!” An alarmingly large group of people yelled out from downstairs. Chloe looked down the stairs, unsure of when they actually went upstairs in the first place, with trepidation all over her face.

“Wha…” Chloe trailed off as she saw Clark, Lois and Lana bound up the stairs to greet her.

“Hey Chloe, surprise!!” Clark smiled goofily.

“Er, what for?” Chloe looked down at the people staring at her nervously.

“C’mon Chlo, you can’t expect me to believe that you didn’t know you were getting promoted.” Clark blurted out in a charmingly gruff tenor.

“I’m getting what?” Chloe spurted out with shock.

Lois slapped Clark on the shoulder and gave him a look of pure annoyance, “Way to go Smallville.” She scowled.

“Aw, Chloe. Congratulations anyway.” Lana pulled Chloe in a tight hug, before pulling and wrinkling her nose. “Sorry Chloe, but have you been getting some action from a cow or something?” Lois explained, as Chloe stood confused at Lana’s retreat.

“Oh!” Chloe looked down at her own messy attire, whilst everyone else was suited and booted and ready to party. “You guys!! Look at me!!”

“You look fine to me Chloe.” Clark furrowed his brow, confused at what the big fuss was.

“That’s why you’ll never any.” Lois pointed out to him truthfully as she pulled Chloe and Lana out of the room in order to give her the look of a lifetime.

To say that Chloe had the most explosive and amazing time ever, would be an understatement. She partied and sang and danced, all the while looking immaculate in a gorgeous white dress specially made (“Ok, ordered…”) for Chloe, which made a change from her previous entrance.

Chloe had never felt so crazy and happy before, so long as you leave out all the times she had been possessed or turned psychotic… Happiness and joy radiated from her all night. It seemed that her minor promotion from intern to junior-reporter was only an excuse to throw an amazing party, even if it was in her name. Considering she’d still be doing the same thing but getting paid an enormous $3.65 an hour made the party seem a little strange.

“You guys thank you so much.” Chloe slurred, slightly drunk at two am. After dancing all night and eating enough to burst, Chloe was feeling more than a little tipsy. “This has been the best night ever.”

“You’re welcome cuz.” Lois stumbled slightly as she made her way to her little cousin. Sometime at the party, she had drawn a large Joker-style smile on her face, growing tired of beaming all night. “But you really need to thank Lex. He organised it. He made everything so sparkly and pretty.”

Chloe blinked. Lois must have been quite drunk to say words such as ‘pretty’ or ‘sparkly’. True enough, the place did look amazing. It was decorated as a white wonderland, similar to Chloe’s outfit, with tiny white flowers and white drapes everywhere. Still, there had to be some truth to Lois’ comments, considering the vast amounts of food, music and people there. ‘Not forgetting its in Lex’s own house.’

“Here.” Lois handed Chloe a small white lily and began to place another in her hair, “Go tell him you love him and you want his babies.”

“Ha!” Chloe turned a bright shade of crimson at Lois’ horrendously drunk comments. But the idea didn’t seem so bad, 'The whole thanking idea…not the love or the babies…’

Chloe slowly stumbled through the room, looking for Lex. She scratched her head, realising she hadn’t seen him since she entered the party room. “Hey, have you seen Lex?” She asked a slow dancing Clark and Lana. They both shook their heads and told her too look for him in his study. Chloe nodded and left the room.

She began to walk the corridors, and became increasingly aware of how frightening Lex’s home became at night. She began to twirl the lily in her hands nervously as she peered into various rooms in the mansion. “Lex?” Chloe finally arrived at a room she realised was his bedroom. “Hello?” Chloe slowly stepped inside, thinking that sooner or later he’d have to return to his room to sleep… ‘If he does sleep…’ Poor Chloe had come under the impression that Lex was some sort of vampire man, who never slept and fed on the souls of the innocent habitants of Smallville.

Chloe walked towards the large oak desk at the side of his room, and sat down on the matching chair, waiting rather patiently for Lex to arrive. “Miss Sullivan, shouldn’t you be at your party?” Chloe who had been deep in her thoughts, instantly stood up and looked at Lex shocked. He wore what Chloe considered to be the most causal she had ever seen him: a black wife-beater and a pair of grey pyjamas

“Umm… well…I came here to thank you.” Chloe stepped forward towards Lex. “You really didn’t have to do this Lex, it was such an amazing night.”

Lex smiled slightly, “Its quite alright Miss Sullivan, you deserved it.”

“Enough for you to stop calling me ‘Miss Sullivan’?” Lex chuckled at her response and nodded.

“Yes Chloe.” Chloe beamed.

“I trust you enjoyed the party then?”

“Oh, it was amazing!! Seriously, it was beyond amazing.” Chloe nodded.

“Well, I’m glad.”

“I can’t believe that nearly everyone was there. I just didn’t see my dad and…” Chloe trailed off slightly.

“Oh, Gabe sends his wishes. He really wanted to be here, but he thought that if he came, he might cramp your style.”

“Ha, that’d be right.” Chloe laughed to herself. She paused slightly before continuing, “But why weren’t you there?”

Lex looked slightly taken aback. “Pardon?”

“You weren’t there. You organised this party, and did everything and you weren’t there.” Chloe all of a sudden looked quite sad, and it pained Lex to think he had ruined such an otherwise happy night.

“I’m sorry, I wasn’t sure if you’d want me there.”

“Wouldn’t want you there? Are you kidding? You get me the biggest cake I’ve ever seen, most of which was eaten by me, and you don’t come? …Why would you think I didn’t want you to be there?” Chloe asked, twirling the lily in her hands quite fast.

“I seemed to have annoyed you before.” Lex replied sheepishly.

“Oh that? It happens Lex. It happens between friends. God knows how often I’ve done it Clark and Lana, but that’s what’s supposed to happen.” Chloe paused again, looking slightly shocked, “…We are friends aren’t we?”

Lex smiled brightly, how whole face lighting up, “Yes we are.”

“Thank God. I was worried you might hate me for my snark.” Lex shook his head.

“No that wouldn’t happen. You are without a doubt one of the most courageous and intelligent women I’ve met,” Chloe blushed at the compliment, “and I enjoy your snark.”

“Likewise Lex.” Chloe nodded.

“So tell me, were you surprised?”

“Oh! It shocked me! Seriously, I had no idea this was going to happen. Since when did Clark and Lana get so good at keeping secrets?”

“They didn’t actually know.” Lex admitted. “I kind of planned it without them knowing.”

“Wow Lex, you truly are a man made of mysteries.” Chloe swooned unknowingly. It was now Lex’s feel slightly embarrassed. Sensing this, Chloe thought it time to say goodnight. Using her instincts, she quickly moved in to hug Lex, and held him close.

Lex looked slightly shocked as this short blonde held him in her small arms. Slowly he melted into her hug and sighed a heave of comfort. 'I was so wrong,' Chloe thought as she closed her eyes shut. As Chloe pulled away, he caught her arms. “What was that for?”

“For actually caring. Thank you Lex Luthor for a brilliant night.” Chloe leaned forward and passed him the white lily in her hand, and then reached up to kiss his cheek. A stunned Lex watched as Chloe left his bedroom and return to the party. He smiled to himself as he twirled the lily in his fingers, just as Chloe had done. ‘Maybe she cares too…’

He never stopped beaming since.

AN: SO I WAS IN THE WEIRDEST MOOD WHEN I WROTE HTE FIRST HALF...I HAD JUST ANALYSED THIS COMDEY FOR ENGLSIH AND THEN I STARTED WRITING THIS AS IF I WERE SOME STRANGE COMEDY PERSON!! SERIOUSLY, MY ATTEMPT AS COMEDY IS QUITE FEEBLE, SO THATS WHY IT SEEMS A LIL STRANGE AND PANS OUT TO BECOME STUPIDLY NORMAL. HEH. ITS JUST LIGHT AND FLUFFY. :) BTW, THE TITLE IS JUST SILLY. DON'T GET TOO EXCITED OVER IT... ;)

AN2: yeah, so i copy-pasted again, hence the shouting. if it bugs someone, tell me and i'll rectify it. i'm just too lazy now. :) hey, did anyone notice my epic similie?? no?? i don't blame you, it was pretty bad considering. it came out very englsih didn't it? *sigh* sorry guys, i've become obsessed with my englishness (yes, i know say 'bother' and 'dears' and 'jolly good' as if i was programmed to speak tehm from birth... maybe i was? hee...) anyhoo, i hope you guys liked it. i was in such a strange mood when i wrote it. anyway, reviews make Chlex immortal!! :wub:

Alizaleven
23rd July 2006, 13:13
Awwww awww aww and again awww I love this so much. It was so cute and wonderfu having Lex plan a whole, big party for Chloe and then not come because he thought she was miffed at him or something. I loved her giving the Lily to him at the end and the hug was sweet and good and *sigh* .. how awesome it would be to hug Lex lol... wonderful story I love it :D

hfce
23rd July 2006, 14:52
That was sweet. I read this already at your lj but its great you brought it over here.

Hope :)

trixie mcbimbo
23rd July 2006, 21:12
Awww. How cute is this? Great job!

~*~Tasha~*~
24th July 2006, 23:54
Nice and sweet. A nice respite from the angst of life.

Sab_Luthor
27th July 2006, 00:53
awwwww that was so nice of him i loved it

lazybugin
30th August 2006, 03:42
That was so sweet of him to do that for her! Great Work!

Trisana
30th August 2006, 10:20
Nice work! :)

Hugs from Trisana

starmoon
12th October 2007, 01:15
very sweet i just loved it.

chlexous_punk
30th December 2007, 22:43
soooo cute and sweet...it was also pretty funny

i loved it!

Ami Rose