Fandom: SMALLVILLE
Characters: CHLOE/LEX
Type: SONG-FIC
Statues: STANDALONE
Word Count: AROUND 1677
Set: TABLE TWO
Theme/Prompt: I HOPE YOU DANCE LYRICS
Rating: PG
Disclaimer: SMALLVILLE OR SUPERMAN ARE NOT MINE, ESPEICALLY LEX...THOUGH I DO OFTEN WISH THEY WERE… :(
Warnings/Spoilers: JUST SOME LIGHT FLUFFINESS, SO IF YOU WANT ANGST, SORRY MATE- THIS IS A SILLY HAPPY ONE. :)
Summary: SET JUST AFTER THE EPISODE "SPIRIT" FROM SEASON FOUR, WHEN CHLOE LOOKS AT THE DANCING CLARK AND LANA. I HATE LANA. SORRY, THAT WAS A BIT RANDOM.....
Link: http://khushiyan.livejournal.com/3277.html

I hope you never lose your sense of wonder
You get your fill to eat
But always keep that hunger
May you never take one single breath for granted
God forbid love ever leave you empty handed
I hope you still feel small
When you stand by the ocean
Whenever one door closes, I hope one more opens
Promise me you'll give faith a fighting chance

Chloe sighed slowly. This is one exhausting night, she thought, as she looked at all the happy couples dancing away the night. Even Lois had joined in the fun, grabbing the cutest guy she set her eyes one, regardless of whether he had a dancing partner, or God forbid, a date.

Gosh, getting possessed and nearly killing everyone, including your best friend sure does put a downer on any night. She chuckled to herself as she tried to wipe off the mascara caked on her face. She grumbled angrily as she realised that nothing would get done here, and marched towards the little girls room. “Argh!!” She let out a little scream as she stared at the girl who had once been her- only she now looked like she had been swallowed by a giant mascara tube. Chloe hastily began washing her face, scrubbing away all the black streaks on her face.

It took her a long twenty minutes to rinse it all off, and even then, she looked as if she had been possessed by some demonic being (which of course she had, except this time, it was more of a demonic cheerleader, Close enough… ). Chloe quickly applied some lip-gloss, hoping it would brighten up her otherwise exhausted face.

As she left the toilet, she became bombarded with cheers from a group of rather preppy young girls, all of whom congratulated her on her achievement, though Chloe wasn’t sure what achievement it was, whether it was her being crowned homecoming queen and surviving, or getting possessed and attacking all and surviving. Either way, she thanked them and hurried back to the dance to grab Lois and try to salvage such an awful night with the only remedy she could think of- chocolate chip cookie ice cream, and a lot of sleep. But it seemed that she would never get that tub or that bed. As soon as she entered the hall, there was another raucous applause. It seemed that while she had gone, Lois had the brilliant idea to rile up the students and force them to do all sorts of absurd things. One boy in particular painted a rather life-like stick figure of her on his belly and was even kind enough to give her blonde hair by smearing custard over her head.

“Er, thanks?” Chloe muttered as she took the plastic flower he offered. Chloe shook her head as she headed back to her table, but was stopped by Clark and Lana. “Aren’t you going to dance?” Clark asked incredulously, his disbelief apparent.

“Who with? I didn’t exactly come prepared with a date. The closest thing I have is Lois, and even then, I think it’d make too many boys a little too happy.” Chloe muttered, waving her hands about in depression.

“I’ll dance with you.” Clark told her softly.

She looked at him standing beside Lana, and felt a pang in her throat. “No thank you Clark. You go and have fun. I’m not in the mood to dance.” Chloe pushed past them and sat down in her chair. She was just about to slump forward and pretend this was all a bad dream, when a voice called out her,

“Miss Sullivan, would you care to dance?”

And when you get the choice to sit it out or dance
I hope you dance
I hope you dance

Chloe raised her eyebrows in shock. Standing in front of her, was the one and only, Lex Luthor. She raised her eyebrows slightly at his presence at such a place.

“Who would have thought that on a Friday night, the glorious Lex Luthor would have nothing better to do than attend a high-school dance… Certainly not me.” A smirk appeared on her lips as he rolled his blue eyes.

“Hardly. I was in an important meeting when I heard that there was an attack in school. An attack on you.” He finished in a strangely soft voice.

Chloe furrowed her brow in confusion. “Wow, perhaps a certain Lionel would find this interest in a young girl rather…frightening. Anyone would think you’d want to have your wicked way with me, and leave me with your unborn son to rot in some dangerous city.”

Lex grinned widely. “You seem to have a rather active imagination. Either that or you’ve been reading to much Thomas Hardy. And as for my father, I think he would find it more ‘frightening’ my being with you in particular. After all, ‘the woman who sent the most important man in Metropolis to prison’ seems to be quite a title.”

“I wouldn’t exactly call him ‘important’. I’d say ‘powerful’.”

“But isn’t ‘power’ important?” He asked, staring at her intently.

“It depends.” She answered rather flippantly. Lex raised an eyebrow, something Chloe found rather fascinating, as she could never do it when she wanted to. “On how much power you want. I would be satisfied with having enough power to become a reporter.”

“You would be satisfied? You have enough power to control the minds of the masses with your writing, and you would only be satisfied?”

“I only tell the truth Luthor.” Chloe began to feel very hot suddenly.

“I know that... But ‘truth’ is not objective.” It was Chloe’s turn to raise an eyebrow, but unfortunately this was not voluntary. “It could be true that I am a ruthless tyrant to some, and yet to others, to you, I am merely a man with too much power.”

I hope you never fear those mountains in the distance
Never settle for the path of least resistance
Living might mean taking chances
But they're worth taking

Chloe smiled poignantly. He seemed to sum himself up with two truths, both of which made him the ultimate paradox.

“But that would mean that you are trying to distract me from dancing with you.”

“I’m not distracting you!” Chloe replied incredulously, her cheeks burning with embarrassment.

“Now, is that true.” Chloe gave him a small smile as she took his hand and walked over to the dance floor. She laughed slightly as he twirled her round.

Lovin' might be a mistake
But it's worth making

“So how do you feel being crowned Queen?” He asked her with slight amusement.

“Oh, there is so much joy in me I think my heart will break.” Chloe replied flatly.

“I didn’t think it would be that bad. I thought that perhaps you would quite happy with another achievement on your wall.”

Chloe scoffed. “You mean the ‘Wall of Weird’? Because this is definitely one of those moments.”

“You mean getting possessed? I think that qualifies as ‘weird’.”

“No, I mean winning this prize. I shouldn’t win this. I’m not Queen material. Lana, that’s who should be Queen. She’s all princess-y anyway.” She looked over at her, who was now slow dancing with Clark. Chloe couldn’t help but feel a pang of jealousy, which was instantly replaced by a pang of guilt for her feelings.

Don't let some hell bent heart
Leave you bitter
When you come close to selling out
Reconsider
Give the heavens above
More than just a passing glance

“I think you’re more than capable of becoming a Queen. But somehow, I think that it’s a little below you.” Chloe beamed.

They continued the next few dances chatting away in each other’s arms, instantly drifting away with the music and each other.

I hope you dance
(Time is a real and constant motion always)
I hope you dance
(Rolling us along)
I hope you dance
(Tell me who)
I hope you dance
(Wants to look back on their youth and wonder)
(Where those years have gone)

Chloe smiled brightly as the night ended. She stepped out of the school happily with Lex following her. “So, aren’t you glad we danced?” He called out to her as he watched her begin to add a skip to her step.

Chloe looked back and beamed, the moonlight illuminating the new spark in her smile. “I danced, you merely helped.” Lex laughed slightly, waving as she stepped in her car with Lois passed out in the back and drove home.

I hope you still feel small
When you stand by the ocean
Whenever one door closes, I hope one more opens
Promise me you'll give faith a fighting chance

And when Chloe awoke the next morning she couldn’t help but feel happier than she should. Tiptoeing around her room so she didn’t wake anyone she grabbed her phone and dialled as quick as she could. “Is this ‘Flowers from Phillipe’? Hi, I need a dozen white lilies…” She wanted to surprise and thank Lex for giving her such a wonderful time. But it was her who was surprised. When she opened her front door to collect the flowers, she found a dozen pink orchids sitting on her doorstep, just waiting to be picked and loved. Chloe looked for a card and smiled as she read it.

Dance
I hope you dance
I hope you dance
(Time is a real and constant motion always)
I hope you dance
(Rolling us along)
I hope you dance
(Tell me who)
I hope you dance

'The next dance is mine, Lex.'

(Tell me who)
I hope you dance

Author Note: HA, I LIKE THIS ONE. I THINK ITS CUTE, IS IT NOT? WELL, I HOPE IT IS. I LOVE CHLEX. *SQUEE*

AN2: sorry for the shouting, i posted it in my LJ like that and i cannot be bothered de-capitalise it all... changing all the italics and stuff was bad enough... anyhoo, read and review. :)

Alizaleven
22nd July 2006, 22:38
Aww this was so extremely wonderful, I love it! :D

~*~Tasha~*~
23rd July 2006, 04:31
This was sweet, and I loved it. {grins} There isn't anything wrong with a nice, happy, or fluffy fic.

trixie mcbimbo
23rd July 2006, 06:00
Awww. How cute was that? Oh my Zod, that was amazing. This is a nice break from all the angsty fics out there...I mean, they're great and all, but sometimes we all just need a little bit of fluff to lighten the mood.

starmoon
29th October 2007, 05:20
that was very sweet and cute i just loved it.

malugargula
30th October 2007, 00:07
Beautiful and sweet
:)

chlexous_punk
31st December 2007, 01:16
awwww that was so tweet!

This is exactly what i wished happened that night...Chloe and Lex dancing the night away in each others arms...perfect!

You did wonderful

Vampirelover
7th January 2008, 09:39
oo this story was cute and sweet.
i liked it.:D

Ami Rose
10th February 2014, 10:37
very cute