PDA

View Full Version : [Completed] Nobody's Hero (R) (Sequel to Through Another Man's Eyes)

letia84
4th July 2006, 16:20
Notes: Thank you for you interest in the sequel for this story. I have been working on to many stories as of late but its okay I’ll get to all of them since my mind won’t stop letting me think of them. I hope to keep interested in this new one. Updates coming slowly. To those reading my new crossover story it has also been updated this week. Hidden in the Shadows. (http://forums.naughty-seduction.net/showthread.php?t=4600)

Title: Nobody's Hero (Sequel to Through Another Man's Eyes (http://forums.naughty-seduction.net/showthread.php?t=4504).)
Author: Letia84
Rating: PG-13/R For adult language, some sexual content, and some violence
Disclaimer: I do not own these characters. Own by DC and Warner Brothers
Summary: Lex has everything that’s eluded him for years. He now knows who Clark Kent really is, he is in possession of two of the Kiwatche cave stones and has Chloe in his arms at last. Lex’s new found knowledge should have been the start of a new beginning of his life in Smallville but, now the most important thing he’s gained could be taken away. Lex realizes he’s nobody’s hero when Chloe’s life is placed in danger once again. During the final moments before the second meteor shower can he proven him self to be just as heroic as Clark Kent or will Lex control his own density and become more then just a hero.

Chapter 1 Fears

For a few seconds Lex had his life in order. Being who he was meant he was supposed to have everything but Lex never really had any of things he truly desired. A brief moment the things he could only dream of were in his grasp, within his reach, and resting in arms.

His eyes went white with fear once he focused on Jason holding the gun to Chloe’s head. He didn’t hear Genevieve’s demand because his attention was on a way to get Chloe out of that room before something happened to her and his fears came to life.

“My mother is talking to you.” Jason moved closer and nudged the gun to Chloe’s back.

Lex still had her resting in his arms and didn’t want her to turn and see the shotgun Jason was holding. He looked away from Jason for a moment to look down at Chloe. Her body was trembling and her heart was pounding against his chest.

His mind kept screaming that he would lose her before ever really getting the chance to have her. If he told her to leave when she arrived and stuck with his plan to protect her Chloe wouldn’t be here now with a shotgun pointed at her back.

He gave her the slightest grin to reassure her that everything would be all right even though he had no idea what would happen now. Then his gaze settled on Genevieve; her hands high on her hips waiting for answer.

“You can let Chloe go. She has nothing to do with this.” Lex finally let Chloe go, taking her hand and swinging her around behind him to get her away from the gun.

Chloe followed his lead and kept quite while burying herself against him. Lex took some comfort in knowing that she was letting him protect her, that she trusted him to take care of her.

“She’s seen me now.” Genevieve started moving closer to Lex; standing between him and her son. “I can’t very well let her run of to the authorities. Nor can I have your staff coming in here so call them and tell them not to disturb us.”

How they got past the guards in the first place was beyond him but, this wasn’t the first break in and wouldn’t be the last unfortunately.

“Let Chloe go and I’ll do what ever you want.” Lex wasn’t just going to give up. They needed him but they didn’t need Chloe. He wouldn’t put it past Genevieve to hurt her but Jason would be the one doing all the dirty work. Lex knew Jason wouldn’t want to harm her.

“I think we have a misunderstanding here.” Genevieve stepped back and tapped her son’s shoulder. Jason moved closer to him and Lex gripped Chloe’s hand tighter making sure she was hidden from sight. “You call your staff or Jason will be forced to hurt her.”

“The mama’s boy wouldn’t touch me.” Chloe yelled peaking from behind Lex.

He was amazed at how brave she was being when he could still feel her shaking next to him. “Honey, I wouldn’t taut the manic with the shotgun.” Lex looked back at her then to Jason again. “You don’t have to do what she tells you to do.”

“She didn’t tell me to do anything. Now hand Chloe over to me and make the call.” Jason tried to move behind Lex.

Lex couldn’t just hand her over without some kind of fight, even if he got shot in the process. He stepped back from Jason advances, shielding Chloe completely.

“Lex, you can still tell us where the stones are without the use of your legs.” Jason looked to his mother and she nodded at Jason’s suggestion.

Lex just wanted to bend the gun in half and knock Jason out with it. Clark and all his abilities were never around when one really need them.

“Listen to reason Genevieve. You want me; you have me… just let Chloe leave.”

“Lex.” Chloe tried to talk but he squeezed her hand stopping her from making a grand gesture to sacrifice herself. Her life was just starting and she would be leaving this small town. He wouldn’t let her miss out on the amazing life she could have because of him.

“I’m going to say it one more time.” Jason moved to stand face to face with his Lex; their noses were almost touching. “Hand her over.”

“Lex it’s all right.” Chloe wiggled her hand out of his tight grip and moved behind Jason.

Lex watched her walk away from him. He wanted her hidden behind him, away from anything that could harm her. He had to maintain his control and not lose it. He had to have a level head about him in order to get out of this mess.

“That’s a good girl Chloe.” Jason stepped back and took hold of Chloe’s arm.

Genevieve walked towards his desk. “Now make the call.” She held out the receiver to him.

Lex looked behind him and away from Jason squeezing Chloe’s arm tightly. The sight of his hands on her was making Lex lose sight of his better judgment. He moved next to Genevieve, took the phone from her hands, and made the call she wanted. Once the call was done Lex turned to look at Genevieve and she was smiling, mocking him.

“Good, now this is going to hurt.” She stepped away from Lex.

He’d lost sight of Jason for too long and now he was right behind him. Before he could turn to stop him, Lex was hit with something and knocked unconscious.

The last thing he heard was Chloe letting out a blood curdling scream of his name.

~/~/~/~/~/~/~/~/~/~

When Lex came to, he expected to be dragged away and taken somewhere remote. A place where no one would hear him scream but, he found himself still in the study tied to a chair.

“Damn it Lex. We’d thought you’d sleep the day away. “ Lex focused his eyes on Jason sitting on the leather arm chair in front of him. He had Chloe sitting next to him on the arm of the chair.

He could see she’d been crying and, from the look in her eyes, she was scared. There was nothing he could do to stop this now but give them what they wanted.

“Now tell me where the stone is.” Emerging from behind him Genevieve placed her hands on his head, leaning far too close to his face. “Tell me or I will be forced to hurt Miss Sullivan.”

Lex gritted his teeth and wanted to groan in pain from the blow he took to the head but he had to be strong through this. This wasn’t just about him and getting something over on Genevieve anymore.

“Stop!” Chloe’s voice shot out and Lex’s head shifted away from Genevieve’s grasp to look at her.

The sudden change in position he saw made his heart lurch. Jason was standing now and Chloe was at his feet kneeling. The shotgun was pointed at her back while Jason was standing over her smiling.

“I’ll tell you if you let her leave.” Lex looked back at Genevieve who was still lowered to his level in the chair.

She smiled as if she knew something he didn’t and then backed away slightly. “You tell me and you can get what you want, after I have the stone in my hands it won’t matter were she is. She won’t escape my new found power.”

Lex closed his eyes, struggling to focus on what he had to do to save Chloe from the chaos he created. If he had the stones then he could learn so much about how his life had changed when he moved back to Smallville but not at the cost of Chloe’s life.

“There in the vault.” Lex motioned his head toward the shelf hiding the vault.

“How do we open it.” Jason yelled.

“Untie me and…” Lex started but was quickly cut off.

“No, no Lex. I won’t fall for that trick. Miss Sullivan will open the vault.” Genevieve took a few quick steps back and grabbed Chloe’s arm. “Come on then, lend us a hand.”

“I’m not opening anything.” Chloe jerked her arms away from her standing between Jason and his mother.

Lex couldn’t do anything but watch them. He saw Jason grab her arm then pull her close to him. He could see him whispering something in her ear and the shift in Chloe’s demeanor at his words. He was dying to know what he said but, whatever it was made Chloe nodded in agreement.

“She’s ready to help now.” Jason nodded towards his mother and used the gun to nudge Chloe forward.

“How do we open it?” Jason looked back to him.

Taking in a deep breath of air, Lex answered him slowly. “Reach under the second shelf for a switch and push it.”

“You heard your boyfriend Chloe. Do what he said.” Jason directed her movements with the gun pointing at her.

Chloe did as she was told and the shelves moved back to reveal the vault door.

“We don’t have time for this. What is the pass code?” Genevieve moved over to Lex quickly grabbing his shirt collar. The well mannered woman was having an outburst.

He took the pain from her shaking and said what they need to hear. “40-95-32-55-29-57.”

Once Genevieve was out of the way he could see Chloe punching in the code on the key pad and the vault opened before them.

“I knew you stole the stone from Lana.” Jason yelled looking back then to Chloe. “Pick them up.” He pushed Chloe into the vault and she came back with both stones in her hands.

“This isn’t going to end well, is it?” Chloe questioned looking at Lex for the answer.

He wanted to tell her it would all end well. Lex wanted more then anything to turn things back and do something different when they showed up to save her but, there was nothing he could do now. “I’ll keep my word. Nothing will happen to you.”

“That’s very touching.” Jason said mockingly. “Now give me the stones Chloe.”

Lex watched her closely and there was something cooking inside her. He could see the wheels turning and the smirk that went across her face. Lex knew what she was going to do.

Before Jason could stop her, Chloe dropped the stone for air and clasped her hands around Jason’s free hand. Between their hands was the transference stone. The room lit up and knocked them back.

Chloe’s body emerged from the vault but Lex knew she wasn’t in there. “What the fuck did she do?” Chloe’s voice screamed.

Jason stood up from the ground, shotgun in hand. “Untie Lex.” He said pointing the gun at Genevieve.

“Jason?” Genevieve questioned.

“Mother, I’m here.” Chloe wailed walking towards Genevieve.

“Oh no you don’t” Lex watched Chloe, in Jason’s body, point the gun at herself. She had to be feeling what he felt when he was Clark. It was shocking, more than just an out of body experience. Seeing yourself talk and walk and having no control over it had to be unsettling for her just as it was for him. “You pick up the stones and mommy dearest is going to untie Lex.”

“You wouldn’t shoot yourself.” Jason, in Chloe, screamed at his own body.

“No, but I can’t say the same for your mother.” He turned the gun back to Genevieve standing confused and lost. “Now untie Lex.” The gun was cocked and Lex’s mind started to wonder when she learned to use a shotgun.

Genevieve did as she was told and freed Lex from the chair. “Give me the gun Chloe.” Lex held out his hand to her for the weapon and he took it from her.

“Sorry, I had to do something.” Jason’s voice started to apologize just as Chloe would.

“It’s all right. Now sit down and let Ms. Teague tie you up.” Lex turned back to Chloe’s body. Jason did as he was told and was holding the stones in each hand.

“What did you do to my son?.” Genevieve whined.

“He said tie me up.” Chloe sat Jason’s body down in the chair. “Now, restrain your son.”

Lex watched Genevieve secure Jason to the chair. “Now, come over here so I can see you Genevieve.”

He was supposed to be saving them but Chloe had saved him. “Get back in your body Jason.”

“How?” Chloe’s voice trembled.

“Use the stone in your right hand and you will be back in your own body.” Lex stepped back from Jason to allow Chloe’s body to move over to him. “Don’t try anything.”

“You wouldn’t…” Genevieve started to protest.

Lex looked over to her standing next to him. “I wouldn’t finish that sentence if I were you.” He wanted to shoot her. He wanted to rid himself of both Jason & Genevieve for good but he couldn’t do anything like that in front of Chloe. “Jason, what are you waiting for?”

Chloe’s body walked behind Jason, reaching with both stones still in his hand. As the stone got closer it started to glow between them then the room was filled with light and the exchange was happening.

While the lights filled the room Lex wasn’t watching Genevieve and it was now apparent she wasn’t going to give up easily. Her entire body flew at Lex’s making the shotgun useless. She put both hands on the gun; struggling with him to get it. It wasn’t very hard to get away from her but he was still feeling a bit spun from the blow to the head he took. The gun dropped between them and Genevieve didn’t give up on her attack.

Her hands clasped around his neck and she was choking the life from him. He knew Chloe was in the room, in her own body now and the shotgun was not lying far away. Lex assumed she would threaten her with gun and Genevieve would back away but she didn’t.

He looking up into Genevieve eyes and they were blood red and her hands were tightening around his neck. Suddenly, her eyes opened wide and then quickly shut. Genevieve toppled over onto Lex making them fall to hardwood floor below. When he rolled her off and could focus; Lex found Chloe standing there with the air stone and it was covered in blood.

“I don’t know what happen. I thought I was Jason. I don’t remember. I had to stop her.” She started rambling short, choppy sentences and looked as if she might breakdown at any moment.

Lex didn’t think Genevieve could be dead from one stab wound. He turned his attention back to her limp, lifeless body on the floor. He checked her pulse and she was dead. Lex’s first instinct was to look at Jason in the chair, tied up and toppled over. He was lying there unconscious on the floor from the exchange.

He didn’t want to tell Chloe the truth. All his hopes to keep her out of harms way had failed. The worst thing that could have happened was unfolding before them.

Turning slowly towards Chloe, he could see the fear in her eyes, the blood on her hands and she was shaking as if she couldn’t stand much longer.

“Is she…is she…” Her words were shaky as she took a few steps towards him.

Lex had to fix this. He wouldn’t let her life be ruined because she saved him. A life she was just starting, with him a part of it, couldn’t be ruined because of Jason and Genevieve Teague.

Taking the final steps towards her, he looked into her eyes filling with tears. At that moment; all of his fears for Chloe were coming to light. He couldn’t protect her and never had a right to but Lex new he wasn’t anybody’s hero.

Right now he had to be more then just a savior to get through this.

Lex took her face into his hands. Bringing her closer to him, he hoped to wash away the look of terror in her eyes. “Don’t worry. I’m going to fix it.”

TBC

Chapter 2 Falling

kimmie
4th July 2006, 17:14
Brilliant a sequel, I'm delighted yay!

-K-

lj715
4th July 2006, 18:09
Excellent start to the sequel!!!! Couldn't believe that Chloe used the transference stone to get Genevieve to untie Lex. I didn't even think of that. Smart girl. Loved the way this chapter ended. Sigh. Can't wait for the next chapter.

hfce
4th July 2006, 19:36
That was good and excellent start. More please... :beg:

Hope :)

autumngold
4th July 2006, 19:39
How is Lex going to fix this? Please say he is not going to take responsibility for Genevieve's death, can't he just hide her somewhere? Please post more soon!! I can't wait for your next update!!

Alizaleven
5th July 2006, 03:38
That was briliant, and very sad at the end... the one thing lex wanted to do was keep her away from this stuff :( Golly gee I can't wait for the next part!!! Update soon :D

westwingwolf
5th July 2006, 04:45
Yay! The sequel is here! Glad to see that Chloe was okay. Can't wait to see how Lex will fix this for Chloe.

letia84
1st August 2006, 07:56
Notes: Sorry for the delay with this update. Thank you all that have interest in this sequel and hope you stay along for the ride.

Chapter 2 Falling

Lex had never seen Chloe cry. He’d seen her worried, strong, and most often he’d seen her angry but, never had he seen her in tears.

She was sobbing on his shoulder as he held her in place. It was an attempt at keeping her gaze away from her hands. Even though Lex washed the blood away she kept looking at her hands as if the blood was there.

“I’m going to fix it.” He repeated to her again. If Lex was going to do anything, at that moment, she would have to calm down and listen to him. Jason could wake any moment, Genevieve’s blood was spilling onto the polished hard wood floor, and Chloe wouldn’t stop crying long enough for Lex to explain to her how he was going to fix all of this.

Chloe adjusted herself back and sniffed a few times as if she was stopping but, her eyes were still filled with tears. “We have to call the police.” She mumbled.

“No!” Lex didn’t mean to shout at her but calling the police was the last thing they needed to do. “What will you tell them? How will we explain Genevieve’s reasons for holding us hostage?” Chloe was staring off at her hands, now resting in her lap and no longer covered in blood but, she was still looking.

He needed her to focus on him. Lex needed to reason with her and placed both his hands on her cheeks, titling her up to look at him. “I will fix this. The police will have more questions than you or I can answer rationally about the stones and Genevieve’s involvement.”

Her face was moist and her body was shivering as if the room was freezing. “But…” She started and chocked back on her words. Lex could see her mind going through the events of the day.

There was little he could do with her in this state and he needed her to snap out of it. Lex wasn’t trying to stifle the natural emotions Chloe should be feeling after murdering someone but, he needed to get her out of that room so things could be taken care of.

“Chloe.” His hands still clutching to her face, Lex tried to lower his voice. “I need you to calm down for me.” She nodded a few times and Lex went on. “I won’t let this ruin your life. Do you understand?”

“Yes.” she choked out to him.

“You didn’t do anything wrong. She was going to kill me or you.” Before Lex could go on he heard a loud groan behind them. Jason was starting to stir and Lex had to do something with him before he saw his mother’s dead body.

“Don’t move, all right?” Lex waited for Chloe to nod to him then moved quickly. He picked up the shotgun at his side and made his way to Jason tied to the chair lying on the ground. He could end all of this now and shoot Jason but not this way, not in front of Chloe. Lex would have to take another route to getting rid of him.

The question remained, could he really do it? Would he really kill Jason Teague in order to get rid of him? For now the answer was no but, if in any way his life was a danger to Chloe’s, Lex would have to consider getting rid of him once and for all.

“Don’t, please Lex.” Chloe’s voice screamed out to him still quivering in fear.

“I’m not going to shoot him.” Lex spoke but didn’t turn back to look at her. The gun’s barrel was pointing away from Jason and the end of the gun was at Jason’s head. Without a second thought and before Jason could speak, Lex knocked him unconscious the same way Jason had done to him.

Lex took in a deep breathe and knew what needed to be done. His attention turned back to Chloe, who was staring at him while he was hovering over Jason. “I have to make some calls.” He started moving back to her at the sofa. He placed the shotgun back down as to keep Chloe as calm as possible.

“I need you to go into the nearest bedroom. Do you remember where it is?” Lex tried to see how much she was in this with an easy question.

Chloe knew where the first floor rooms where. She used one of them once to clean something off her clothes. Lex offered her coffee one night when she came with information on getting Lionel out of their lives. She spilt some of it on her shirt then asked for a new one. He allowed her to change in into one of his t-shirts. Seeing her afterwards may have been the first night Lex allowed himself to think of Chloe in a way he knew he shouldn’t.

“Yes.” She muttered to him, still crying but seemed to be back in the game with him.

“I want you to get out of these clothes.” Lex glanced over her, she had small drops of blood that accumulated on a few places on her body. “I want you to shower. I mean scrub yourself all right.”

“Lex I can’t.” She started to protest his instruction.

There was no way out for either of them. He wasn’t Clark and never could be him with all his strength and abilities. He couldn’t fix the problems before they happened like Clark did. But this was a problem Lex could handle. There were so many things he could do that Clark couldn’t and would have to use all of his skills now to protect Chloe.

This was his fear but he could make sure no one ever knew about this if Chloe would just listen to him.

He sat with her on the sofa, pulling his fingers through the strands of her blonde hair like he’d done when she arrived. The same way he’d done when he kissed her again for the second time. “You are going to be fine. We are going to fix this but I need you to do as I ask. Someone will be coming in and taking your clothes so leave them on the bed. Wait for them to be returned and get dressed. Then, I want you to wait for me to come and get you from the room. Can you do that?”

Chloe’s eyes closed and she breathed out heavily. She had just murdered someone and Lex had no idea what she could be thinking. He knew what he felt when he pulled the trigger and shot a man once. Over the years his skin grew thicker and he came to terms with someone’s life being exchanged to save his own.

That’s what Chloe had done but she wasn’t him and it was something Lex loved about her. She seemed to feel everything and had to be feeling this more than he wanted for her.

She nodded once before moving to stand up. “Okay.” She said with resolve then moved for the study door. Lex followed behind her quickly and opened the door for her.

“Chloe?” Lex said her name almost at a whisper. He felt like he was being so cold but he had to keep it together in order to get the job done. He reached for her cheek again brushing away some of the tears. “You know I love you?” The words may not be what she needed to hear but Lex wanted her to know.

She hadn’t said it back and he wasn’t expecting her to. Telling her he loved her was just his way of assuring her that he would take care of her. It was supposed to give her comfort.

“I know.” She mumbled and moved closer to him, kissing the side of his mouth lightly before leaving the room.

Things were falling apart but there weren’t beyond fixing. Everything wasn’t going to fall completely apart for them, not when they finally found their way back to each other.

~/~/~/~/~/~/~/~/~/~

Lex had done what he could in about and hour. First thing was to get rid of any traces of the body. Then take care of Jason. A small choice few were called upon and worked quickly. They needed little direction from him other than to make it look like it never happened. While he showered and changed, his hired helped took care of the rest.

None of the clean up men could be trusted but Lex had used them before and knew all about their lives. The slightest hint that they would double cross him and he could take care of them with no problem.

They took Genevieve to a location he didn’t want to know about. The less he knew the better off he was at lying to the police if questions were asked. They were to make it look as if Genevieve had an accident and the body was to be damage so the stab wound was hidden from detectives.

The same was done with Jason except he was to remain alive. Lex couldn’t help but feel sorry for him. He was a product of the same upbringing Lex experienced. It wasn’t easy having a parent trying to control every part of your life but unlike Jason, Lex didn’t yield to Lionel’s desires. Lex sought his own path. Even if that path was rocky and full of moments he wished he could take back, Lex would never trade them for the life Jason was living, as a lap dog to his mother.

The stones were placed back into the vault for safe keeping then, his last loose end was Chloe.

He had to keep her calm and make sure she wasn’t going to give in and go to the police. It was approaching midnight, long past time for Chloe to leave. After everything that happened that day he much rather keep her with him, but she had a father that cared about her and Lex wouldn’t want to stand in the way of Gabe trying to look out for his daughter.

Turning the knob to enter the room he told Chloe to go to, Lex had never been so terrified in all his life. He walked in to find Chloe staring blankly at her hands, resting on the edge of the bed. His dreams placed Chloe in a bed with him more times than he could count but never like this. Never with so much falling apart for them both.

“Chloe.” Lex said her name softly, not wanting to startle her.

“I did what you said but I can still see it.” She answered him with her eyes still on her hands in her lap. He knew she was speaking of the blood.

Lex knelt down in front of her and covered her hands with his to get her attention away from them. “It’s gone.” Lex said to her catching her gaze as she looked away. Her green eyes were red from crying and she still had tears rolling down the curves of her face.

“I washed it away. You washed it out of my clothes. I’m sure the study looks as if nothing ever happened but Lex is it really gone? Will any of this ever go away?” Her hands coiled around his then squeezed for dear life. “Even if you fix it, I’ll know and you’ll know that I’m a…” She was going to call her self a killer, a murderer and Lex wouldn’t let her do it.

“No, you didn’t do anything wrong.” He repeated his speech from the study. “You saved me. You saved us both and now I’m saving you.”

This wasn’t the Chloe he knew. She wasn’t the Chloe that came to see him that night. Somehow she had changed in a way Lex couldn’t fix. His only hope was she hadn’t changed so much that she wouldn’t want him in her life anymore.

“You have to go home now.” Lex helped her stand up from the bed. “What did you tell your father before leaving home to come and see me?” She sighed and had to be exhausted. At this point, Lex was running on pure adrenaline to get everything squared away.

“I said I was going to see Clark then, I was going to work overnight at the Torch.”

It was a story she must have used before and, often times, it was true. “He won’t be expecting you home tonight?”

“He will think I was working on a story then crashed at the Torch. I have been working on compiling things for my interview at the Daily Planet this summer.” Her eyes were glazed over and it was like she wasn’t there in the room with him.

Lex’s fingers pulled through her hair that was still damp from her shower. He wanted to kiss her, make her see that this was over and nothing had to be put on hold between them because of what happened. Right now the stones, the truth about Clark and the mystery that lie in the caves could all be pushed back in order to deal with this.

“Then go home and tell him just that. You pulled and all nighter after talking with Clark. Don’t mention to anyone that you came here.” He couldn’t stop touching her and felt her starting to tremble again like she’d done in the study.

“Okay.” She sniffed then pushed back her tears.

“I want you to come back here in the afternoon.” Lex wanted her to stay with him right now but she was better off with her father. At least he thought she would be. Lex didn’t want to be a reminder to her of what she’d done. If he gave her some space maybe she could clear her head and see that what happened wasn’t her fault, it had to be done.

“Okay.” Her voice was quivering.

“You will be fine. I promise you this is over now and you will be fine.” Sneaking his arms around her waist Lex pulled Chloe as close to him as he could.

She rested her head in his chest and sobbed against him softly. Her hands were clinging to him and she was having a hard time letting go. Lex let his other hand stroke the back of her hair.

He was hoping he’d done the right thing while fearing he’d done everything all wrong.

“Kiss me.” She muttered to him then pulled back to look up at him. “Kiss me so I know I’m doing the right thing. Kiss me like you did before when everything was so perfect and felt so right.”

He couldn’t deny her request because it was what he wanted. Just like before his hand stoked the curves of her cheek and his lips lowered to hers. They met and pressed into one another for a few moments. Chloe parted her mouth and slipped her tongue out to meet his.

Her hands idly wandered up his back and around his neck, pulling him down closer to her. Lex left her hair to curve his fingers around her cheek, slightly pressing them into her flesh deepening the kiss. Their tongues danced together for a few moments and Chloe was with him again.

There was something happening now that they were so close. Chloe was pressing her body closer to him. Her nipples formed into stiff peaks rubbing against him. He could hear her moaning helplessly for him to keep going but this wasn’t right.

Both her hands nudge him back slightly and trailed down his chest. They finally stopped moving once they reached the buckle of his belt. In that moment Lex knew what she wanted and he knew that this wasn’t the time.

He took hold of her hands and pulled away reluctantly from her warm mouth. “Not like this.” His eyes fought opened and he looked down at her.

Chloe’s face was twisted. It looked as if she was about to cry but was fighting not to. “Why not? Don’t you want me?” Her question wasn’t whiny but more like a plea.

Lex let go of her hands moving back to run his fingers through her hair. “It’s not about me not wanting you Chloe.” His other hand adjusted and cupped the curve of her neck.
It moved down her arm to her hip and rested there while he squeezed her flesh. There was no way Lex didn’t want to make love to her but not like this.

“You’re not all here. I think you want to do this now so you will forget what happened but I don’t want the first time to be like this with you. When it happens I want all of you here with me.” Lex finished his speech and he could see she wasn’t going to protest.

Her eyes closed with a long sigh leaving her lips. When she looked back at him she nodded once in agreement. “Your right but I don’t want to go home.” Her hand covered his smoothing back her hair. “I want to stay here with you. Can we just go to sleep together?”

It was what Lex wanted. His selfish need to protect her could be fulfilled if Chloe would stay the night. “If that’s what you want then you can stay.”

She gave him a weak smile before speaking again. “Can we go to your room?”

“Yes, of course.” Lex answered her then led them out of the room.

It would be the first time a woman has shared the bed he slept in, in the room he used at the manor. Helen thought she was in his bedroom but it was another master bedroom that was made to accommodate the two of them. There was something about his personal space he wanted to keep to himself but he didn’t feel the need to do that with Chloe.

Once they were in the room Chloe took off her shoes while resting on the bed. Lex watched and the guilt started to rise. She asked for something to wear to bed and Lex offered her a t-shirt. While she changed, he waited and wondered if he had fixed this problem.

Everything that fell apart he was able to put back together or so he thought.

Lex couldn’t sleep in the state he was in but changed into a pair of pajama bottoms anyway. He turned off the light, except for the lamp at his bedside, and then lay back on top of the covers of the bed. Shortly after, Chloe appeared from the adjoining bathroom.

His body inched up in bed and his back rested on the headboard. “Are you sure this is what you want?” Lex felt himself tense as she walked to the bed.

The t-shirt was covering most of her but he could clearly see she had taken off her bra as her breast swayed about. His mind started to wander but he had to stop. It was the first time she would be in his bed but it wasn’t the time for him to be thinking about getting her out his t-shirt.

“Yes, I want to stay here.” She answered and moved into the bed pulling the covers back with her.

Lex followed suit and lifted up to pull the covers as well. He watched her nestle down in the sheets, her back turned to him. He clicked off the lamp and turned to see her body moving up and down as she breathed.

It wasn’t clear if she wanted to be held but Lex tried anyway. He shrunk down into the folds of the bed pulling the covers over them both. His arm leisurely wrapped around her waist and he touched the bare skin of her stomach. In the darkness of the room he hadn’t notice the t-shirt riding up on her. Once his body was flush against her, he could feel her cotton panties brushing up against him as she moved into a better position.

This wasn’t going to be hard for him. Lex needed her to feel safe and that’s what he had to do. Lex would push back all the lustful feelings he had in order for him to be there for her that night.

Guilt had risen into his throat and felt like a large lump resting there. It was his fault that Chloe was in this position now but, he took care of it for her.

Lex let himself settle next to her holding her tightly. He couldn’t see her eyes wide open and tears trickling down her cheek. Some time past before he felt her breathing become steady and slow and he assumed she’d drifted off to sleep. To his dismay, Lex wasn’t as exhausted as Chloe and didn’t fall sleep until the last bit of fight in his body allowed him to.

Things fell apart but Lex assumed he had fixed them. There was no way he could have known killing Genevieve would make something else fall upon him. It would make something else fall upon the small town once again.

The fiery rocks that once plagued Smallville, and almost claimed his life as a boy, were coming back.

Chloe killing Genevieve was only the start of things truly falling apart.

TBC

Chapter 3 Temper

trixie mcbimbo
1st August 2006, 07:57
Woohoo!!! This is finally here!!! I was wondering when you'd get around to posting it . . . I already read it on your site . . . but I will read it again. BTW, may I use one of your avatars? And can you maybe show me how? Thanks!

Krysia
1st August 2006, 09:05
“I did what you said but I can still see it.” She answered him with her eyes still on her hands in her lap. He knew she was speaking of the blood.

Although I'm loving the story , this was my favourite part. It made me think of Macbeth, and not being able to live with the guilt of killing someone and going crazy because of it. Than I thought , poor Chloe if she remembered the play and than added the fear of becoming like her mom she would not be a happy camper. Can't wait to see what happens next.

hfce
1st August 2006, 14:20
I am happy for the update but guh I am so sacred to read the next part. :eek: I don't want this to end them.

Hope ;)

autumngold
1st August 2006, 17:49
My heart is breaking for both Chloe and Lex!! I love that Lex is trying so hard to help Chloe, to save Chloe!! It's not his fault that it might be impossible!! Great update!! I can't wait for your next chapter!!

letia84
5th September 2006, 06:02
Notes: *letia pokes head in to theard* Anyone out there? If so heres and update.

Chapter 3 Temper

After a horrible night the last thing one would be is happy but Lex Luthor was. He couldn’t help but smile in his sleep as he felt Chloe’s hand stroking his cheek. She was humming lightly and the sound was soothing Lex’s rattled nerves that morning.

“I’m waking you up?” Her voice was low, almost at a whisper. The grin that was growing on his face couldn’t be stopped. The change in his demeanor must have alarmed her and she moved her hand away from him.

“It’s okay.” Without opening his eyes Lex reached out for her hand. Chloe noticed what he was doing and took his hand as he was reaching for her. He guided her hand back to where it started and woke him up into the start of pleasant day.

“You snore.” She rested her hand upon his cheek then insulted him.

With his eyes still closed Lex couldn’t see how red her eyes were or how flushed her cheeks had become over night. He didn’t know but last night she cried until she fell asleep. The only thing he did know was that she was in his bed, she was soothing him in his sleep and she called him on his behavior like always.

“I don’t snore.” He answered dryly moving to find the curves of her jaw line and stroking it smoothly as she did the same to him. “I breathe deeply.”

He couldn’t see the smile on her face but heard the disbelief in her voice. Lex knew he snored but only at times and only when he was completely exhausted. Last night was one of those nights he fell asleep and every ounce of energy in his body was spent. Last night wasn’t about him sleeping; it was about him making sure Chloe had slept. About knowing she was safe.

“If you say so.” She replied sarcastically leaning over him. Her lips descended upon his; it was starting out to be a better morning then Lex had thought it would be. A better morning than he thought he deserved.

Her mouth pressed against his; he could feel that she licked her lips before touching his. He wished he could have seen her slide her tongue out over her dry mouth to moisten her soft lips into a light pink color but his eyes were closed.

He welcomed the moist feel of her mouth but shivered when her cold hand moved down his bear chest startling him and his eyes opened. Even though she was close he could see how flushed her face was and nudged her back from the kiss to see all of her.

He was taken back by what he saw. He didn’t want to ask the next question but knew he had to. The way her eyes were puffy and the flush look of her cheeks alarmed him. “Are you all right?” His words were just above a whisper not wanting to sound threatening.

“I would feel better if you just kept kissing me.” She didn’t hesitate to move back to his mouth once she answered him.

Her mouth opened slightly and Lex followed suit giving into what she wanted, wanting it as much as she did. His eyes closed again and his tongue made contact with hers sliding about each other. Chloe’s cold hand hadn’t stopped moving up and down his firm chest.

Now things had started that he couldn’t stop. She leaned onto him; his arms welcomed her body closer to his. Lex was getting to be with Chloe in a way he didn’t think possible until yesterday before everything fell apart.

His hand slid up the folds of the oversized t-shirt to stroke the soft flesh of her back. He heard her moan in his mouth and her body pressed itself closer to him. She squirmed against him and he felt his cock twitching in anticipation as to what was happening. To what was finally happening.

Chloe released his mouth and looked at him with a grin. She was making a move to get away from him but Lex gripped her tighter, not wanting her to move away so quickly.

“I’m going to take off my shirt.” She said softly. He couldn’t help but smile again and let her go along enough to take off the over sized t-shirt.

It may have been the first time Lex woke up smiling and happy because he didn’t wake up in his bed alone. Even when he was sharing his bed with Helen he didn’t wake up smiling at the sight of her, like he was doing with Chloe now.

There were so many reasons he should stop. So many reasons he had made up over the year to keep Chloe away from him.

He was taking advantage of her in her altered state of mind. She killed a woman the night before and Lex had done the right thing in getting rid of it for her. He didn’t want to be with Chloe in the state she was in the night before but that morning he couldn’t stop himself. Even though her face told differently she wasn’t acting as she did the night before.

It was impossible to stop as he watched her get on her knees in the bed then pull the t-shirt up over her head, tossing it to the side. His eyes focused on the stiff peaks of her pink nipples and he became completely hard in his pajama pants. His eyes traveled down to the curve of her hips, having thought more then once about holding on to the sweet flesh while he lowered her onto his cock. Her panties were still covering her arousal but she had to be as ready for him as he was for her.

Taking in the full view of her body this could have been the moment all his wants, desires and love could be expressed to Chloe. Lex was going to get what he wanted for once in his life and get to be with Chloe but, the moment, like so many in his life, was ruined.

The phone at his bedside rang. He ignored the sound and kept his attention on Chloe. It rang again and he saw the shift in her eyes towards the phone. He could see the disappointment washing over her but Lex wasn’t concerned with the phone. His only concern was Chloe’s nearly naked body before him.

“You should get that.” She said lowering back into the bed, reaching for the comforter.

Lex didn’t motion for the phone but knew she was right.. The phone rang out again and it was keeping him from her. “They will leave a message.” He said and tugged at the covers she was trying to hide herself with.

She gripped at them tighter. “It could be about...” She paused and her eyes closed. “…them.” She finished with a sigh opening her eyes again.

Lex hoped it wasn’t his staff calling to tell him things hadn’t gone as planned with Genevieve and Jason but if they had, he had to answer. The phone rang again signaling that what was happening would have to wait.

Everything that happened between him and Chloe had to wait.

He turned in bed and reached for the cordless phone on the nightstand. “Luthor.” He groaned into the receiver. Lex listened closely as the man on the other end frantically told him something he never thought he would hear. “Are you sure?” He questioned and the man assured him what he was saying was true; it was all over the news. Lex clicked the phone off and raced to the adjoining room.

“Lex!” Chloe called out to him but he couldn’t be stopped. He had to see if it was true with his own eyes.

He left the door wide open and inside the living room was set up with a plasma television; he turned it on and there was his answer.

“Lex?” Chloe called out to him again, his attention was fully on the television and the reporter telling him that one of his greatest fears as boy had come back to haunt him.

“If you are any where in the city limits of Smallville then you should be leaving the area as quickly as you can. The National Guard has been put into place to help evacuate the city. The meteors are predicted to hit in three hours and authorities suggest leaving as soon as possible with loved ones and leaving material possession behind.”

Lex looked back to Chloe standing in the doorway with the t-shirt on again and he saw the tears dropping from her eyes. The world was coming down around them again. This time there was nothing Lex could do to fix it.

~/~/~/~/~/~/~/~/~/~

The clock was ticking and there was little less then two and half hours until the meteors returned. Even though Lex knew what would happen when the meteors came and understood the damage could cause, he made few plans to leave the city.

Something was happening and after years of searching for answers he felt as if they could be falling from the sky. If Clark was Naman and he truly came to this world in a hail storm of meteor rocks then there could be another person just like him coming in less then two hours.

It took awhile for Lex to convince Chloe that her father needed her more. She called him and hadn’t thought about leaving Smallville until he heard from his daughter.

Doing what he’d done once before with Chloe he arranged for her and Gabe to leave the city as soon as possible which meant he had to pull a few strings with the National Guard to get them out ahead of other evacuees that heeded the warning hours ago.

There was debating and a few tears before Chloe left him but Lex knew what he was doing was the best. He would leave the city by helicopter as soon as he learned all he need to.

As soon as Clark Kent had told him what was coming from the sky that day.

Chloe told him what he was doing was selfish. That he wasn’t in Clark’s body any longer and didn’t possess the gifts he had. She told him that he didn’t have to prove his theory while possibly staying behind to die before he was allowed to share his findings with anyone. She told him he didn’t have to save world that day but Lex knew there never was a good day to play hero.

Everything she said was true but something deep down inside of him, something he told himself would never control his life was. His determination to know the truth was once again putting him in a place where the lines would be blurred between him doing the right or the wrong thing. Only this time if he was the wrong he would be the one hurt in the end.

When Chloe kissed him good bye it was as if it would be the last time. It was bittersweet to have her in his arms again knowing he would let her leave the moment the kiss was over. If it was to be the last time Lex told her he loved her again, still not expecting to hear it back but simply wanting her to know the truth.

She seemed fine when she left him but Lex knew beneath the surface Chloe was still falling apart. Chloe was still having a hard time dealing with Genevieve’s death, as she should be. Even though that morning she wanted to be intimate with him Lex knew that she wasn’t right. Now that something else was falling upon them he would never get the chance to deal with it.

Once she was gone, Lex had taken to the road himself and was fast approaching his destination. When he pulled into the Kent Farm he assumed that they would be gone but ran in on a family scene he experienced himself while he saw the world through Clark Kent’s eyes.

Martha was holding her son and from where he was in the car he couldn’t see the tears in her eyes. Jonathan was stand close by looking strong and stoic at his family before him. It was as if they were saying good bye to Clark when any normal family would be loading their son into the car.

But the Kent family was far from normal.

Lex opened the door to his light blue Porsche and approached the people he once longed to be his family until their dirty web of lies was revealed to him.

“Mr. Kent.” Lex called out to him getting his attention from Martha and Clark who were still in an embrace.

“What are you doing here Lex?” Jonathan shouted back looking less then pleased.

He was about to answer but reconsider his response. Lex wanted to know if Clark was the one who started all of this. If the meteors had returned to plague the city once again because of something he had done. He wanted to know if his quest for the stones had any connection to what was happening now. If so, how could the two stones he had in his possession explain what was happening. He wanted to know if Clark was alone or his friends and family were going to be stopping by very soon.

Lex wanted answers but didn’t ask any of the questions he had. In all his time dealing with the Kents he never wished them harm and getting them out of city was more important than his answers. Clark didn’t need the same curiosity.

“I was going to offer you passage out of the city.” Lex was standing right in front of Jonathan, who was staring him down.

“Thank you Lex…” Martha started but was quickly cut off by her husband.

“We can find our own way out we don’t need help from any Luthor.” Jonathan finished with a puff of hot air and his nostrils flared.

Lex wanted to yell at him, tell him that no matter who the help came from that there were sometimes a man should take it to save his family but he didn’t. “Mr. Kent I’m only here to help.”

“Lex I have seen the way you and your father help people and believe me you Luthors are no heroes.” As he spoke Jonathan took a few steps in on him.

Lex lowered his gaze and fisted his hands to his sides. He wanted so much to tell Jonathan off. To let him know that he may know his father but he didn’t know him. Jonathan hadn’t even scratched the surface of who Lex really was.

Once he had calmed his nerves, Lex looked back up at him and the smug look on his face, the superiority that he was better then him pushed him over the edge.

“Your pride could get you killed Mr. Kent.” Lex stared at him the same way Jonathan was looking at him. Both men were not wavering in the fight.

“Pride is something you could never understand.” Jonathan grunted.

“If pride puts my family in danger then your right Mr. Kent, I don’t understand the first thing about it. If you want to call your cowboy heroics pride then, I fear for your wife and your son. What I do understand is that the world as you or I know it could be coming to an end in the next few hours and taking my help could mean life or death to you and your family.” Lex didn’t move, didn’t so much as gesture as he spoke.

He could see Jonathan changing before him. There was always something inside him Lex knew wasn’t as good as he pretended to be and it was rising to the surface but, quickly stopped.

“Thank you for your help Lex.” Martha spoke coming in between them. She nudged her husband away from him and things had turned. It was the same motion she made when Lex was Clark and Martha was acting as peacemaker. “Jonathan and I will find our own way out of town and I suggest you do the same.”

Martha turned her gaze away from him to her husband and the look said something to Jonathan because they both went for their red truck loaded with family goods, then they drove away.

They drove away without their son.

Throughout the whole ordeal Clark was standing on the side lines not taking a side or speaking a word. He made no motion to get into the car with his family and didn’t seem phased by the fact that they left him behind.

“Clark you could have reasoned with them.” Lex said in his direction.

“My parents will be fine.” Clark took a few steps as if he was going to walk away but there was no room for him to leave. They were going to have it out and Lex moved in his way.

“I thought we agreed on trusting one another. Trust me on this, your family needs help.” Lex made what might be his last offer to help the Kent family.

He watched Clark studying him slowly. It was as if he was looking for something that was insincere about his offer but there were no ulterior motives now. Of course Lex was looking for answers but at the expense of their lives was never what he wanted.

Clark took the few steps towards him as he spoke. “Are you ready to tell me what happen to me yesterday?” The question came out as if Clark already knew the answer. As if he knew Lex switched their bodies.

“I told you when you left the manor Clark I don’t know what happen to us.” Lex was being honest when he left yesterday, before he read the truth. Lex knew everything now but was giving Clark one last chance to tell him the truth, to make their friendship real after four years of pretending. “Maybe there is something you want to tell me Clark… maybe you want to tell me what’s about to happen?”

Clark’s strong stand was altered when he asked about the meteors about to rain down on them. The worried look in Clark’s eyes looked away from him. Lex was close to understanding and he could feel Clark didn’t want him to. Somehow, Clark always managed to change the subject when the topic turned to him. “Did you know Lana’s place was broken into?”

“No, but your going tell me I should aren’t you?” Lex had been so focused on Chloe the night before and that morning he’d forgotten some of the things he’d done when he was in Clark’s body.

It was like it always was with Clark. He moved closer to his face and was going to act as if he was the world’s answer “What was taken tells me everything I need to know about who broken in to Lana’s place.”

“What was taken?” Lex said dryly.

“You have the stone that we found in China.” Clark’s teeth clinched and his eye started to twitch. They both stood looking at each other and they both saw through the other’s lies but for some reason they couldn’t tell the other the truth.

Lex didn’t answer him, just looked at him. Looked at the person who was supposed to be his friend, accusing him of breaking into a high school girl’s apartment and stealing from her. It was all true but the fact that Clark thought so low of him hurt Lex more than he wanted to admit. Lex made certain choices that he could live with but for some reason he didn’t want others see those choice for what they were; choices Lionel would have made.

“You don’t have anything to say for yourself. Just like you not telling me that Edgar Cole is on your pay roll, putting the other stone your father used to try and get out of jail into your hands.”

“I was merely taking your advice when I hired him, nothing more.” Lex’s hands were closed into a tight fist at his sides. His temper was rising the longer the talk went on but he knew better than to let himself blow. He knew his opponent and knew he wouldn’t stand a chance. “Edgar Cole has been a great asset to my staff.

“It doesn’t matter that he can read what’s on the cave walls.” Clark’s voice was raised slightly. Showing the strain the conversation was having on him.

Lex managed to stay in control with his voice but his body told a different story. “Yes, I hired him to do just that for me.” Lex had to turn this. He wouldn’t be made to feel bad by Clark after all of the times he lied. “You seem to want to throw stones today Clark, how about I throw a few your way, like why didn’t you leave with your parents just now.”

“I’m staying behind to make sure Lana gets out of town safely.” Clark was so close to him but once things turned on him he backed away.

“Are you sure that’s it Clark? It doesn’t have anything to do with the hidden room in the back of the caves?”

“How did you know about that?” Clark took a few steps away from him. His physical responses told him all he needed to know. The hidden room was just as important as Lex thought. His head turned away and his eyes started racing as if he was searching for how Lex knew about the room.

“Does it matter that I know? The question is when were you going to tell me about it?” Lex took control of things and moved back toward him, his eyes boring a hole into Clark. ”More than anyone you know how deep my interest run in the caves and when a critical piece of evidence comes about you say nothing to me. How could you possibly want me to trust you when you lie to my face everyday Clark?”

“I… was... I” He stuttered then paused, searching for the best lie. “It doesn’t matter. Just tell me if you have the stone.” He shook off Lex’s advances and demanded the stone.

“I don’t have the stone Clark and if I did I wouldn’t give it to you.” Lex motioned to walk away.

The talk was over and Lex knew his friendship with Clark was at its end. As he moved away from him he heard Clark scream as if he was in pain. When he looked back Clark was gone. There was only one way he could have gotten away so quickly and after experiencing this so many times Lex knew what he had done. Clark had super sped away but why he was screaming made no sense. Lex thought Clark was running off to find the stones.

Stones that Lex had hidden but his vault was no match for a superman.

~/~/~/~/~/~/~/~/~/~

When Lex approached his abandon manor he was hoping the stones were where he left them. Lionel’s whereabouts had been unknown to him for weeks and he was out of town so Lex knew that he wouldn’t be in the manor. Any staff that was on duty that day Lex sent away in the same convoy that took Chloe and her father out of town.

He moved through the hall quickly to find both doors of the study wide open. Moving in slowly Lex saw a mess before him and when his eyes settled on the bookshelf hiding the vault door there wasn’t one. His eyes glanced down and found the vault door pulled from its hinges lying on the ground.

“Lex.” The sound of his name was familiar to him but he assumed it was one long gone. Chloe was walking towards him away from the fallen vault door towards Lex but he acted as if he didn’t see her.

He moved towards the open space of the vault and looked in thinking he would see the two stones lying in wait for him but of course they weren’t there. “Did Clark do this?”

Lex didn’t turn to look at Chloe as he questioned her. His arms extend and his hands smacked against the vault door opening. His gaze focused towards the Chinese statue he took from the temple in Shanghai with the embedded meteor rocks in the eyes.

She was there when this happened. Lex didn’t know how she got there but he knew Chloe knew something and she wouldn’t lie to him.

He thought she wouldn’t lie to him.

He could feel her presence behind him, even though he hadn’t looked at her Lex heard the concern in her voice. “Lex we have to leave now, the meteors are coming.”

“I asked you a question Chloe.” Lex clinched his hand against the vault door frame holding himself back knowing that it was all catching up to him now.

All the pieces of a very complex puzzle could have fallen into place that day but they were all falling apart. Clark would never tell him the truth. The two stones leading Lex closer to understanding the caves were now gone. A woman was dead because of the stones and a man had to disappear for them, putting Chloe in danger once again. It was all starting to fall apart for him.

Lex didn’t go through everything he did that year, including the final straw in becoming Clark Kent in order to retrieve the stones for them to be taken from him without a fight.

“Lex the meteors will be here in less then an hour. I couldn’t leave Smallville without.” He heard Chloe’s plea behind him and it wasn’t the answer to his question.

He felt his temper rising while he fought Jonathan, he felt it pulling in to the red when Clark lied to him again but at that moment each time Chloe didn’t answer him he felt as if he might erupt.

He turned to look at her; her eyes were looking right into his. He could see she was scared and the thick air of tension pulling between them had to be the cause. His movements were swift but he wasn’t going to hurt her, his hands reached out for her and he grabbed both of her arms.

“I said did Clark do this?” Lex asked the question again his voice wavering to keep control. Her eyes shifted down to the vault door then back to him. All this stalling was taking its toll on him and Lex squeezed her arms in his hands. “Chloe answer me.”

She struggled in his grasp to get free but it wasn’t going to work. “Does it matter?” She asked sharply.

Of course it mattered. If Clark had stolen from him and she didn’t tell him the truth it definitely mattered. “Just tell me the truth.” He shook her once, not hard but not lightly either.

“Lex who cares about the stupid stones.” She started and he couldn’t believe his ears. He tossed her to the side of him trying to regain his focus on what was happening.

“I came back for you” She started again and from behind Lex listened. “If Clark took the stones then so be it, I think they are meant for him anyway.” Lex turned to look at her, flushed cheeks and wide eyes.

It sounded as if she thought he was making a fool of himself. She was justifying Clark’s actions after their talk the night before and Lex thought they both agreed Clark’s lies had to stop.

“Why can’t you just tell me if he was here or not? We both know he is the only one that could have done this and the position you where in when I came into the room tells me that you know more then you want to tell me.” Lex moved closer to her and he could see something was very wrong. Something had changed with her and Clark had some how gotten to her.

“Lex we need to leave. Please just come with me.” Her words went unnoticed because it wasn’t what he wanted to hear.

Lex just wanted her to tell him the truth and she couldn’t do it. More than that she wouldn’t. Without thinking he grabbed her arm, turned her around towards the door exiting the study.

“What are you doing?” She screamed at him.

“You are going to tell me what happen here then you are going to help me find Clark.” Lex said to her as cool and calmly as he could in the state he was in. He was dragging the woman he loved to his car.

“But the meteors.” She screamed again.

“I will find the stones Chloe, even if I have to dodge a few meteors in the process.” Lex knew his answer sounded crazy but there was no stopping him now.

Of all the people in his life lying to him this was the worse of them all. His father had done it all his life, the Kents, whom he admired, had done it to him, Clark whom he called his friend had done it and now Chloe was doing it.

There was only so much Lex could take and he let his temper take control as he lead Chloe to car and drove to the caves to find out the truth, as a hail of fiery rocks scorched the earth.

TBC

Chapter 4 Passing

kimbo
5th September 2006, 06:06
Oh man, lex and his temper! this is great! can't wait for the next part :)

lj715
5th September 2006, 06:51
Loved this chapter!!!!!! It's hard to believe that it could start with Lex & Chloe in bed & end the way it did. Can't wait for more!

hfce
5th September 2006, 07:32
That was just sad. :(

autumngold
5th September 2006, 22:11
I really wish that Chloe could realize how much Lex needs to hear the truth!! He doesn't want her to be one of the many people that lie to him!! What a great update, even though I wish Lex had waited to answer the phone!! ;) Can't wait til your next chapter!!

westwingwolf
6th September 2006, 00:00
No, after everythng they've been through, it's still going to end like this?! Stupid meteors have to ruin everything. Why can't Chloe and Lex be happy and back in bed? Why can't Chloe just tell Lex the truth? And why can't Lex just leave the damn stones alone?

letia84
18th September 2006, 03:40
Notes: I’m sorry for the ending of the last chapter. I have to say that I promise things will get better but there are some pretty big things they need to work through.

Those that have been reading beware this chapter’s shift into NC-17 material for sexual content.

Chapter 4 Passing

Time can pass slowly when you’re sitting alone. It can almost stand still when you spend your waking hours by yourself remembering the life that was so close to being yours. A life that you managed to let slip away yet again with very little hope of it ever getting it back.

Lex knew how time could torture you all too well the past month and a half. From the moment he dragged Chloe from his study during the meteor shower, his time to be with her was once again passing him by. His fears based in fantasy were clawing their way into his reality.

From the way things started that day, Lex wouldn’t have thought it would have ended the way it did. He never thought Chloe would lie to him. He never thought he would let it affect him the way it had. He never thought she would push him over in the caves and disappear to Canada. He never thought when he brought her back to Smallville that Chloe would tell him to stay away from her.

As time passed Lex was doing as she asked. It didn’t matter that he was sorry. He knew he overreacted. That she was right not to tell him what happen that day. It didn’t matter because they both could have died in a hail of fiery rocks the way he treated her. Why he couldn’t just let the mystery go was something he questioned but tried to push away a little more everyday the past month and a half.

Instead of indulging in his search of how the caves and the stones connected to Clark, Lex had a new obsession. It was an obsession that could keep his mind off his loneliness and how badly he had fucked up the day of the meteor shower. Meteors weren’t the only things that fell from the sky that day. Proof of that was hidden away in a warehouse deep into the countryside of Smallville.

While he let time pass Lex also threw himself into another project. The meteor shower left Smallville devastated. The city needed someone to help put the pieces back together and with pockets as endless as his, Lex didn’t see any reason not to lend the town a helping hand. Of course the deed wouldn’t go unrewarded because an opportunity he had thought about for quite some time was fast approaching.

Sitting in his study, looking at the empty fireplace, while sipping on one of his father’s finer single malts, Lex was allowing his mind to wander back to the day of the meteor shower. He was allowing his thoughts to go back to Chloe and what he’d done to her.

Shoving her into the cave, trying to shake the truth out of her then seeing the bright white light all seemed like a blur to Lex now. It was all a blur of rage and fury that he wished he could take back. Chloe’s absence the past month and half proved that there was no coming back from this mistaken, unlike so many Lex had made in the past.

He wasn’t upset she pushed him over. He had it coming the way he was acting that day. His only regret was that when he was unconscious there was no way for him to protect Chloe from what happen next. When he woke and saw she was gone Lex assumed he finally done it and ruined Chloe permanently by taking her out of this world but he his mind wouldn’t let him dwell on the thought.

She was out there somewhere and when he found her it should have been one of the happiest moments of his life but she recoiled from him. Chloe called out Clark’s name when she woke then the shift in her demeanor when she realized it was him made it all clear how far he’d gone that day. It seemed impossible for her to look at him with so much fear in her eyes as if he was monster when several hours ago she was looking at him with a fiery passion that had vanished and was showing no signs of returning.

Taking another long sip from his glass, Lex finished off what was his third or fourth drink. As time passed by slowly he lost count of how much he was drinking during the time he was left alone with his thoughts.

He closed his eyes, sighed deeply trying to push out the image of Chloe’s eyes staring at him the way they did when he found her. Pushing himself on his feet he took a moment to steady his stance and realized maybe it was five or six glasses he had.

There was no way he was drunk yet but, as he filled the glass at the mini bar, it appeared that he was working up to that. It was the middle of the day on a Saturday and Lex had no obligation holding him from finishing off another drink.

In an attempt to get his mind off his troubles Lex turned towards the grand piano in the room with his drink in hand. The sight he saw before him standing in the study door nearly made him drop the glass at his feet but he managed to recover it quickly.

“Chloe?” The word was whispered; not wanting to say her name too loud for fear it would make her run away, for fear that her presence wasn’t real but a trick his mind was playing on him.

The trick had been played out the past few nights while he tried to sleep. While he slept Lex could have sworn he could turn over in bed at night and pull Chloe’s soft body close to his. The feeling of her warmth pressing closer to him was so real when he was asleep just as it was the night they slept together in his bed but when he woke he was clinging to a pillow and sporting a painful erection.

“I wanted to talk.” Chloe took a few steps into the study keeping her distant from him in the room. The sound of her voice made it real that she was there and it wasn’t another trick of the mind.

Her hair was pulled back exposing her bare neck to him, leading down to the curves of her breasts which spilled over from the cleavage of her dress. The pale pink dress stopped at her knee and her freshly painted toes were covered in strappy high heeled shoes. She was wear a bit of makeup and a pair of earrings dangled from her ears. By the looks of it she was very dressed up and Lex had no idea why.

There was no way she came to him in that dress just wanting to talk but Lex didn’t let the idea fester in his mind. Not wanting to be too eager, Lex took a few timid steps toward her. All he could think of was the last moment they were together; when she was walking away from him.

“You look well.” Lex started but it didn’t seem the right thing to say. She looked amazing, she looked beautiful but Lex didn’t have the right to say these things. “I mean you look as if you’re going somewhere that wasn’t to see me.” He tried to fix the statement but it still wasn’t right.

Her lips crooked up into the slightest grin as she looked down at herself. Patting back her hair she started to speak again. “Graduation is today. A graduation we wouldn’t be having if you hadn’t poured so much money into the town. If no one has said it yet; thank you for your generosity. I’m sure it will pay with votes in the fall.”

She was like a blank page to him at that moment. As she spoke Lex was searching for any emotion he could find. Nervous about seeing him again after so long, fear at being in the room where everything went so wrong, he even looked for joy that they were together again even if it wasn’t permanent. Lex couldn’t find anything in her; he could read her so well before but now it appeared he’d lost his gift.

But Chloe had read him. She saw right through his generosity.

“I can never get anything past you can I?” Lex took another few steps closer to her. His hand was shaking a little; he was getting anxious. Tiny beads of sweat were starting to form on his smooth scalp and there was nothing he could do to stop the ache forming in his chest.

Her grin widened; it was almost a smile but it quickly washed away. “We don’t have to get into that since it’s none of my business and I don’t plan on telling anyone.”

Lex wanted to get control of himself, he was starting to tether away the longer she was in the room. He wanted to apologize but he already did that when he found her and gave her the apology that wasn’t accepted.

“What did you want to talk about then?” Lex gave her power back over the conversation. He took a few steps back to the mini bar and placed his drink down.

His back to her, Lex could only hear her heels clicking on the hardwood floor coming towards him. He turned to the right and she was standing right next to him.

Fiddling with her hands Chloe looked towards him. “I have to ask this. I know you took care of it but I haven’t been doing to well since… since… I think you know what I mean.” Her eyes drifted to the floor in the center of the room.

Lex was so worried about how he treated Chloe the day of the meteor shower that he almost let himself forget Chloe killed Genevieve in that room as well. He wanted to touch her and give her some kind of comfort but as his hand extended towards her she backed away from it causing him to retreat.

The same thing happened when she said to stay away from him. He tried to reason with her that it didn’t have to be the end between them, when it just started. When he tried to touch her and keep her from leaving she jerked her body away from him as if he had the plague.

“I know.” He said plainly, not needing to relive what happened that day.

“Good.” She was looking at him again and the question came out in rush. “Is Jason dead?” She looked tense now and it was the first emotion Lex could read on her.

He could only wonder how she was coping the past month after taking Genevieve’s life. If she was torturing herself thinking that her death lead to Jason’s, Lex could do one thing for her and ease her mind. “Jason is alive. I don’t know where he is and I think it’s better for both of us if we don’t know were he was taken to.”

She sighed long and deep then looked relieved at his words. Nodding once it looked as if she was accepting what he said as the truth. “Thank you.” She replied to him.

“You don’t have to thank me. You didn’t do anything wrong…” Lex started but was quickly stopped by her.

“Lex please don’t say it. I have been trying to convince myself that I can get over it. That I can put it behind me but it won’t go away so easily. There are things about that day and the next you don’t understand. Things I can’t explain to you.” She stepped back towards him.

His eyes narrowed and Lex could only assume she was talking about how she got to Canada. Something she wouldn’t explain to him but it was easy enough to put together that Clark had brought her to the hospital from where ever she went into the bright white light.

If Lex was going to get her back into his life he would have to accept a few things as is and this was one of them. “I understand you can’t talk about it but I don’t want you to feel as if you can’t get through this. That day doesn’t have to haunt you forever.”

He was going to try again and extend his hand toward her. This time his fingers reached the curve of her cheek and his hand moved to cup it completely. His large hand covered her cheek and she leaned into his palm. He breathed out and savored the soft feel of her in his hand then breath in the light scent of lavender that seemed to follow her were ever she went. “You don’t have to be alone in this.”

Chloe closed her eyes; covered his hand with her own and stood like that for what seemed like forever. It all came down but maybe it was coming back together. Maybe Chloe wouldn’t just toss his love aside because things had become difficult.

He was wrong. Not enough time had passed for him to be forgiven so quickly.

She used her hand touching his to remove it from her face. “I do have to do it alone Lex.”

He didn’t say a word. Lex knew this was coming. He stood and waited for her to tell him good bye, to tell him that their time had passed him by yet again.

“I’m graduating today and it’s going to be a huge step for me. A step away from the chaos that was my life in Smallville. I know Metropolis is only three hours away but those three hours are what I need to forget about what has happened.”

“You mean to forget about me?” He couldn’t look at her any longer and turned away from her. His eyes closed and he just wanted to be gone. He wanted this moment to be a dream but it was very real. The pain in his chest, the look in her eyes, made it very real.

“That’s not what I meant.” She spoke at his back and didn’t motion to move him back towards her. “I’m not going to forget you Lex. It’s impossible to forget someone that I’m so in love with knowing I need to walk away.”

Lex’s eyes shot open. She just said she loved him and it was first time he was hearing it. He knew she cared for him, knew she wanted what was happening to them finally come to pass but she finished by saying she had to walk away from him.

He stood there thinking of what to say. Lex could try and explain his actions, make her understand that not telling him, like everyone else in his life, brought out his temper. He could give her a long speech about if they loved each other then what happened could be worked through, that what happened didn’t make him love her any less and it appeared the same was true for her.

There were so many things Lex could have said to persuade her but, when he felt her hand moving around his arm, something took over his better judgment. If things were going to end then Lex wasn’t going to let them go without a fight.

His hand grabbed hers and pulled her closer to him; claiming her mouth for the first time in months. His arms wrapped around her instinctively and he wasn’t going to let her go. Her hands moved between them and she fisted the collar of his shirt pressing herself closer to him. It was easy to see that their desire to be together was still strong.

Chloe’s hands pulled him closer and she opened for him. Lex took her into him drinking up every drop of her he could, letting his hands travel down the soft fabric of her dress to cup the back of her buttocks. It could have been the drinks he had before she came pushing him over the edge to grab her like this but it didn’t matter because she wasn’t pushing him away.

He thought she wasn’t pushing him away. As the kiss deepened, Lex felt her hands loosen on his shirt and her palms pushed him away from her until she was free from his grasp. Once they were parted, her hand was covering her mouth and the other was resting at her belly. Her chest was heaving up and down and the fire he saw so many mornings ago had returned. She wanted him, she loved him and Lex wouldn’t let this be the end of it because he made a mistake.

Without a word, Chloe turned and started taking long strides away from him towards the door. Lex wasn’t going to chase her and he wasn’t going to yell after her. She wasn’t leaving, she didn’t want to leave and he didn’t have to do anything but wait. He let time pass for the past month and a half for her to come back and he just needed to wait a little longer.

Chloe reached the door that she closed behind her and she was holding onto the door knob. He could see her shaking debating with her bodies wants to stay. Her dressed had shifted up while he was grabbing at her showing off more of the back of her thighs to him.

Time was standing still for Chloe now as it had done for Lex for far too long. He moved in on her, helping her make the decision that he knew she had already made. His hands moved down the side of her dress and palmed the lush curves of her body. She planted herself flush to him and her head fell back to rest on his chest. Lex lowered his lips to her neck and nibbled a line up her pulse.

“Lex…” She said his name breathless and her body rocked backed into him.

Lex already felt the throbbing pain of his erection while he was kissing her and the feeling had increased as she wiggled against him. Lex nipped and licked his way to her ear lobe and whispered to her with his voice low and deep. “I love you too.”

The words seemed to explode in her mind and she turned in his arms throwing her body towards his. Her hands moved up and clawed at the back of his skull and her tongue darted in and out of his mouth.

Lex wasn’t going to stop this time. Nothing was going to stop him from doing this and being with Chloe at long last.

His fingers moved to the top of her back searching for the zipper of the linen dress. While he was pulling down the straps of the dress Chloe’s hands were busy at work pull off the buttons of his dress shirt. He grunted in his throat feeling her fingers dragging down his bare chest. Nudging her back away from him Lex kept kissing her until he was forced to let go. Her face was a bright pink and her she pulled the loose fabric off her shoulders exposing herself to him again for the second time.

The dress joined his shirt on the floor; she moved back to him taking hold of what she wanted. Her lips pressed into his and her hand moved over the bulge in front of his pants. She was massaging over his pulsing member. Lex felt his balls draw up, any more of this and he was going to lose it before they started.

He grabbed her hands and flung them around his neck, his arms moved around her waist and Lex took her off her feet keeping up his skilled work on her mouth. Moving them to the nearby leather sofa he let her slide down in his arms until her feel touched the floor.

Lex parted with her again sinking down into the sofa getting a full view of her in her strapless bra and panty set. They weren’t talking and the only sounds in the room were the heavy breathes coming from the both of them.

Chloe took time to unhook her shoes from her feet, then straddled him placing one leg on either side of him. Her arousal pushed down into the throbbing bulge in his pants while her hands wrapped around him. Her mouth lowered back to him and they met each other for another kiss.

Things had slowed some and Lex moved to undo the clasp of her strapless bra taking it from around her, freeing her breasts for him to hold. He may have seen them but his eyes didn’t prepare him for the soft feel of her breasts being kneaded by his hands. Chloe’s soft purrs of pleasure over his mouth and the feel of her body rocking into him with more urgency was a clear sign she was more than ready for this to happen just like he was.

Lex took his hands away from her reluctantly pulling them away from the tight buds formed on her breast. “We need a condom.” Lex could feel her heart pounding and her eyes shifted down between them.

She had to see that they were both nearly naked, their skin was flush and both their hips couldn’t stay still. When her eyes meet with him again it was as if she was looking at him for the first time. There were no words but she nodded once kissing him one last time before moving to the other side of the sofa.

Lex motioned over to his desk quickly because he kept a box in a drawer in his office. His eyes looked away from her for a second and when they returned she had slipped out of her cotton panties while her fingers were trailing up and down her arousal.

For a moment he watched her body resting on the leather chair as she pleased herself. He could hear the faint sound of her voice saying his name and his cock twitched, anticipating when he would be able to bury himself inside her. As he moved back over to the sofa her eyes followed him. She watched him undo his pants then pull them down to his ankles. He saw her out of the corner of his eye biting her lip as he rolled the condom on to his hard member.

Before he could reach for her to come back into position Chloe was already up and eagerly straddling him while holding his cock in place at her entrance. She sunk down making him hiss as he filled her. Her hands steadied her body over him by bracing his shoulders. Lex let his hands grip the flesh of her hips and guided her along with a few slow smooth strokes.

Lex watched her change before him. His hips met hers as her thrust quickened. Her mouth was partly open huffing out breaths and she was looking right at him. They were still both quite letting their bodies say everything they wanted to. Occasionally Lex grunted the word fuck under his breathes and his hand trailed all over her soft naked flesh leaving no part of her untouched.

Looking at her was too much to handle. He closed his eyes and didn’t want to see her, he couldn’t look at her eyes staring down at him or her breasts swaying as she slammed down into him. The possessive grip she had on his shoulders and the pink color of her bare skin was all too much; if he looked any longer Lex knew he would lose it.

His needed to keep control. The sound of her voice forced him to open his eyes again. “Lex, please…look at me.”

Doing as he was asked Lex opened his eyes feeling his release erupting inside him the harder she fucked him but he put a stop to it. His hands moved between them the best he could and reached the tip of clit.

Her grunts grew shorter and faster as Lex fumbled between them trying to force her release to the surface. She was looking at him but the new simulation caused her to duck her head on his shoulder, her nails drove into to him and Lex couldn’t hold on any longer. His hips bucked up into her body sending them both off the sofa for a split second and he gripped the flesh of her hip to keep her steady.

Spilling into the condom Lex thought he ruined their first time together but just as he was coming inside her, Chloe was coming with him. Her channel tightened then contracted around him causing the sound of her name to bellow from him and he could hear her calling out for him.

As they came down, Lex could hear the faint sounds of Chloe snuffling. It couldn’t be that she was crying. He resolved himself to believe that this was what she wanted; it was what they both wanted but the sound of her snuffling turned into sobs.

Lex could feel his shoulder becoming damp from her tears. “Did I hurt you?” His hands caressed her back, her shoulders any bare skin that was in reach for him to touch. He felt the tension in her body and when she looked at him the proof of her crying was so clear.

“That’s just it Lex, you did hurt me but I just made it okay for you do it again.” She lifted off his soft cock and got to her feet. Her body leaned down for her discard underwear and her shoes then made her way to her dress at the door.

“What are you talking about?” Lex reached for his boxers. He should take care of the condom but Chloe running off was more important. “You didn’t just make it okay for me to hurt you. I would never want to repeat anything that happened the day of the meteor shower.”

He quickly pulled on his pants then moved in behind her slipping on her dress and zipping it up quickly. She hadn’t put her underwear back on and her nipples where still peaked standing straight out at him. “Having sex only hurts us both. I’m still leaving and now I have to leave with a taste of what could have been.” Her mind seemed to be made up and she didn’t give it a second thought this time. She reached for the door knob and opened the door to leave.

“Wait!” Lex shouted to her holding the door from opening further. He had nothing to come back with. She thought she was a murderer and she thought he was a monster; a monster that she just enjoyed having sex with. Every choice he made, every word he said to her only made things worse and Lex was at a lost.

“There are too many things between us for this to ever work. The opportunity for us to do this, to really have some kind of relationship has passed us by.” She squeezed through the tiny opening of the door. “We should take what just happened for what it was...” She turned standing in the space between leaving him and staying. “…it was a goodbye.” Then Chloe ran off clutching her shoes and underwear in her hands.

He could force her to stay, make her talk about it but it didn’t matter. Lex always wanted to save Chloe, to protect her from the things in the world that could hurt her but Lex was no hero.

In all his careful planning he forgot about the worst threat of them all; Lex Luthor himself.

Lex shut the door and moved away from it. He sat on the leather sofa they just made love on and he let time pass. He let her words sink in that the opportunity passed him by.

TBC

Chapter 5 Alone

lj715
18th September 2006, 03:52
Loved the chapter! The ending upset me though. I want them to be together & I didn't like Chloe leaving Lex like that. I hope they can work it out. Please.

hfce
18th September 2006, 05:14
That was so damn sad. Not even the smut made me happy.:(

westwingwolf
18th September 2006, 05:43
That was heartbreaking. Please, they can't let that be a goodbye, there should be no goodbyes for them. Don't let Lex do the self-sacrificig thing, he's not a hero, he takes what he wants, others be damned. I don't think Chloe would truely mind if Lex tried to get her back. I'm sure he can do his best not to hurt her again.

autumngold
19th September 2006, 18:01
How heartbreaking!! I feel so sorry for Lex!! Why is Chloe punishing him so much for his mistakes? It's not like he cheated, he was just hurt that she wouldn't tell him the truth!! Will they ever be able to get their relationship back on track? Thanks for the update!! Can't wait for your next chapter!!

gravelgerdie
24th September 2006, 03:24
Oh that was so sad.. I don't want Chloe to push Lex away, I want her to drag him to her.... great job by the way.. but so sad

letia84
29th October 2006, 03:21
Chapter 5 Alone

Lex had been alone before. After his mother’s death he knew all too well the feeling of being alone. When he was a child in boarding school there were people around him but he was always alone. Once Lex returned home his father was far too busy to pay attention to him and the gap between them widened over the years until it spanned to the point they were at now.

A month ago if someone told him he would be as alone as he was now Lex would have laughed it off. He knew he wasn’t alone anymore the second Chloe admitted she loved him but shortly after sharing with her what he wanted for so long she was gone.

And now he was in fact alone. Possibly the loneliest he had ever been in his life.

When Chloe left him half naked in his study he was letting her go. He was at a loss as to what to say to her or what to do about her need to distance herself from him. What happened in the caves and the murder he covered up drove her away.

Not being one to give up so easily, Lex cleaned himself up, dressed quickly and drove to Smallville high. The graduation ceremony was well under way once he arrived and as he watched the students in their red caps and gowns crossing the stage Lex didn’t know what he was going to say once he saw Chloe.

He parked across the street from the cheering crowd and opened the car door just in time to hear Chloe’s name being called out. He could hear the cheers coming from Lois and Gabe then he could see the Kent family was just as loud. Lex watched her walk up the few steps to the stage and then take her diploma while turning to wave at the crowd applauding her.

In that moment Lex saw why she left him. He could see it clearly as she smiled and waved the wrapped piece of paper in her hand. The moment she was having was the start of her life away from a place that caused her so much pain. The people that cared for her were already there.

They had been there for her for so long and Lex hadn’t. He pushed her away because of his own fears and now she was moving on from him. She’d suffered so much with him in her life. There were so many things Lex had inflicted upon Chloe.

She needed to get away from him.

After she walked across the stage Lex turned to get back in his car and didn’t see that Chloe noticed he was there. He didn’t turn back to see her staring at him drive away giving her what she wanted.

Spending the rest of the night alone like he’d done so many times, Lex wondered about the celebration that followed graduation. How proud her father must be of her. He even thought of how happy Clark was that Chloe was loyal to him. She was never going to tell him what happened the day of the meteor shower. No matter how much Lex had learned about whom Clark really was he would never fully know the truth.

After that night Lex tried to let Chloe slip away. He tried to let the knowledge that his chance to be with her had passed him by sink, thus giving him all the time in the world to sink all of his energy into work.

After arriving at his concealed warehouse holding the one thing that he wasn’t expecting to see the day of meteor shower Lex had so many things to focus on other then the loss of Chloe and the void it left inside him.

The past month his scientists had told him nothing useful about the black spaceship he was now staring at. As he admired the sleek look and craftsman ship of the foreign object his staff appeared to be hard at work circling around him.

“Mr…Mr….Mr.Luthor.” The stuttering voice behind him was Edgar Cole. Lex had come accustomed to Edgar’s jittery nature over the past few months.

“Tell me you have something new Edgar.” Lex answered him but didn’t turn to look at him keeping his focus on the ship.

“We haven’t opened it.” Edgar moved in next to him and when Lex looked to him he was as frazzled as ever. Sweat was beading from his brow and he was holding a laptop clicking away with one hand while he spoke. “I…I…I don’t know why I can’t…fig…figure it out but the darn thing won’t open.”

“Edgar I’m paying you and a staff of twenty a small fortune to get it open.” Lex moved in on the ship kneeling down to exam the underside of it. “I find it hard to believe that in a month’s time you still haven’t done your job.” His eyes widened when he focused on what looked to be a symbol from the stone table in the caves. “What is this?”

Lex waited for a response but got none. “Edgar if you don’t know what I’m talking about then come down here and look.”

Doing as he was told Lex was joined by Edgar looking under the ship. “It’s another symbol sir.” He answered.

“I can see that but you can translate these symbol so what does it mean.” Annoyed with this meeting Lex stood up and waited for his answer.

“I’ll... I’ll…I’ll have to look it up Mr. Luthor.” Edgar spoke standing on his feet facing Lex still clicking away at the keys on his lab top.

“Then figure out what it means and call me when you do.” Lex took his hand and nudged the lab top closed and waited until he had Edgar’s fill attention. “Edgar when I said you were a great asset to me, I meant it. But if you are in some way not capable of doing the job I have set before you then I will have to let you go.” He moved closer hoping to give him a jolt with a little intimidation. “Do the job or you can go right back to jail were I got you from. Are we clear?”

“Yes, yes, yes…Mr. Luthor.” Edgar mumbled and Lex took his leave of him.

Lex left the warehouse to go home prepared to deal with his other problems. Once he was in his study Lex assumed he could make a few phone calls about his upcoming run for the senate then have a quick drink alone but his other problem was already standing over the bar sipping from the fine crystal.

“I thought you were out of town dad.” Lex started in on his father getting his attention off of his drink.

“You thought wrong and I would say your staff is slacking off if you didn’t know I was here in Smallville.” Lionel moved away from the bar to take a seat with his drink in hand.

“What do I owe the honor of this visit?” Lex prepared himself for another sparing match with Lionel.

The past month Lionel had gone missing. Lex was tracking his where a bouts but the last few weeks he lost touch with where he was and it appeared to be due to the fact that he was right under his nose the entire time. After being out of jail, Lionel had given up on his charity but he was still acting strangely.

Lex examined his father and it looked as if he was well. The liver cancer that he thought would get rid of him showed no sign of return, something he attributed to his time as Clark. It looked as if he was enjoying the expense account Lex set aside for him by the looks of his new hair cut, freshly trimmed beard, and the new suit he was wearing.

Why Lionel was traveling the past month had eluded Lex because there was no specific location he settled on. He moved about randomly but it almost seemed as if he was doing what he did on purpose. Taking the seat across from him Lex was going to learn why his father had been away.

“I could be subtle but then that would be very uncharacteristic.” Lionel took another sip from his glass and went on. “Where is Genevieve Teague? I have been looking all over for her and she seems to have disappeared.”

Lex heard him loud and clear. He had to force down his emotions and not react to the question. “I haven’t seen Genevieve in quite some time but, she is your friend, so you should know better then I.”

Lionel stared him down and Lex could see him using one of his techniques on him. With the right look as a child Lionel could make Lex tell him anything and everything he wanted to know but those days were long past.

His father cleared his throat taking another sip of his drink trying to draw the moment out and intimidate him. “I find it hard to believe you don’t know since this was the last place she was before she went missing as well as her son Jason.”

Lex felt the sweat starting to bead from his brow and knew he was starting to waver. His worry wasn’t for himself and what his father might know but it was for Chloe. If he did see Genevieve enter the manor the night she was killed then he saw Chloe come in as well. How he knew was impossible since he was gone at the time but Lex should have known better to underestimate his father.

Even though Lionel was penniless he still had eyes and ears in what Lex thought had become his home.

“Dad why don’t you just say what it is you want.” Lex cut to the chase and didn’t want to play his father’s mind games. If he knew something then he had to know now in order to take the next step to insure Chloe’s safety.

Lionel got up from his seat and moved closer to Lex. “I know Genevieve was here about two months ago, I know Miss Sullivan was here as well and I know Miss Sullivan was here again about a month ago and left here very…” He paused turning up the corner of his lips. “How should I put this?” He paused again sipping his drink before going on. “She left here rather altered; adjusting her clothes as if they had been recently put back on.”

Lex stood up and moved away from him. He knew that Chloe was there and they had sex; even if he didn’t say the words exactly Lex knew that Lionel knew. Moving away from him Lex took the few steps toward the bar hoping to think of a plan of action.

“You can say nothing.” Lionel moved behind him placing his glass on the bar. His father never backed down especially when he knew he was winning. “I’ll figure it out Lex. I will know what happen to Genevieve and how Miss Sullivan is involved.”

“You won’t touch her.” Lex let himself slip and turned to his father looking at him as if he would kill with his bare hands at the thought of him trying to hurt Chloe again.

“Won’t I?” Lionel said with a chuckle. “You are so transparent; I would assume I taught you better. It’s easy to see why the thought of me coming after her like the big bad wolf pulls out such emotion in you but, I’m still puzzled. You haven’t seen her in a month yet you defend her when it obvious she doesn’t want to see you.”

“I have no idea what you’re talking about.” Lex turned towards him, mostly in control of his emotions but, still on the edge of yelling at his father. “I don’t suggest you coming any where near her. You do remember what happen the last time you crossed Miss Sullivan.”

Just as he hoped the jab got to him and Lionel backed off a bit. “I’m fully aware of her and your betrayal.” He replied with the slightest twitch of his left eye.

“Good.” Lex replied as coldly as possible masking away any emotions he let slip before. He turned back to the bar reaching for a glass to pour his drink. “If that’s all you wanted dad then you I’m sure you can find your way to the guest house.”

“I’ll go now but I’ll be back maybe with Genevieve and Jason so they can tell me what happen to them.” Having the last word Lionel left the room and Lex hoped he left the estate.

Downing one glass of scotch Lex couldn’t stand by anymore and let Chloe be alone. If Lionel knew what he did it was enough to arouse suspicion as to his involvement and Chloe’s in the disappearance of Genevieve and Jason Teague.

He couldn’t leave her alone anymore.

~/~/~/~/~/~/~/~/~/~

Lex found out Chloe was working at the Daily Planet through a source at the paper then it was proven when her first byline was printed on page 73, at the bottom. There was no way he was following her and he didn’t think he could take knowing about her every moment without getting involved.

Taking the last few steps down into the basement of the Daily Planet, Lex wasn’t the least bit nervous until he caught a glimpse of her. Chloe was handing over some papers to some man and Lex stood at the steps and watched the scene play out.

“Here you go.” Chloe spoke as she handed over the print outs.

“I hope your going home.” The man replied to her and Lex started to wonder who this guy was showing a general concern for his Chloe.

“Nope, can’t get out of this basement if I don’t work a little extra.” Chloe answered him and turned back to her computer.

“Have a good night Chloe and try to get some rest.” The man took his leave of her passing by Lex at the base of the stairs. His eyes glanced at him and widened when he realized who he was passing but eventually he keep going. Lex took in his face and put it to memory. If the man was making a move on Chloe he would know his face for future reference.

“He’s right you know.” Lex waited for her to turn to him before he made his approach into the office. She turned to him slowly almost as if she didn’t want to see who owned the voice behind her.

Lex half wanted her to throw herself at him when she saw him. Even if he accepted that he was to be without her and he was to be alone Lex still thought of his last moments with her. He could still feel the tight clinch of her arousal wrapped around him and the very thought of it did things to his body that he couldn’t control. The feel of her hand brush across is cheek the morning things went wrong was always the freshest in his mind.

When she was facing him Lex didn’t get the welcome he wanted. “What are you doing here?” She stood and moved towards him as he did to her.

“You really shouldn’t work so late.” Lex tried to keep things light hoping for some semblance of what he was use to feel when he was with her before everything went wrong.

“You didn’t answer my question.” Chloe’s hands fisted at her sides. He knew she was angry but he didn’t really care. Any emotion from her was better then not seeing her at all.

His plans to tell her what he learned from Lionel slipped away from him.

“I miss you.” It wasn’t what he wanted to say, it wasn’t what he should have said but it didn’t matter. The undeniable truth was that he missed her and no matter how much he drowned himself in work Chloe’s absence was always on his mind.

“It doesn’t matter.” She breathed out deeply and closed her eyes. “I have to do this alone.”

“How is that working out for you?” He watched her going through the motions. Her lips pressed together and she looked right at him. She moved in closer to him studying him closely.

Lex reached his hand out to touch her brushing his fingers through the free strands of her hair. “It’s not working.” She whispered to him and grabbed his hands planting it against her face.

If only for a few moments Lex had her back with him but she quickly withdrew from him. “What are you doing here?” Her voice wasn’t the soft whisper he just heard; she sounded annoyed but had no reason to be. Lex had done what she asked and would still be doing it if not for his father, if not for his need to protect her.

“Don’t turn away from me.” Lex didn’t let her back away and moved towards her as she backed off. “Tell me why it hasn’t been working.”

“I can’t talk about this here.” She mumbled looking around the empty office as if some could hear them.

“Then, where can you talk?” Lex grabbed her, almost holding her against her will. He pulled her body flush to his and she settled against him. “I’m not going away.” He breathed in the faint scent of lavender that followed her.

She moved closer to him and her body relaxed in his arms wrapped around her. Her blouse rubbed against him and her hands laid flat on his chest.

“I’m going to kiss you.” For some reason Lex felt the need to announce what was about to happen. They were in an embrace; one they hadn’t been in a month. She was looking at him as if she wanted to kiss him, her body was making itself one with him and the signal of her licking her lips was a sure sign that he should announce what they both knew.

“Lex…” She started but he stopped her, pressing his lips against her own, taking in every drop of her after being alone for so long.

Her motions were tame at first as if she was trying to deny herself the kiss they were sharing. Her hands stayed at his chest and her body didn’t squirm against his like he was use to. She was pliant and still letting him move over her mouth. Lex wasn’t going to let her be stiff about this moment because he knew she wanted it as much as he did.

His arms left her waist and traveled to the back of her hair. His fingers fisted around her blonde locks and he pulled her closer to him making her open her mouth for him to intrude upon. He felt her arms move up his chest towards his cheeks and a hand was stroking him softly while the other moved to his smooth scalp to receive the same delicate treatment of her touch.

Chloe’s fight to not enjoy the kiss was over as he heard her moan low in her throat. He sucked in a deep breath through his nostrils, which flared in response to taking in her scent, and he could tell he was arousing her.

The dueling of the tongues ended as she pulled back from him slightly. Lex wasn’t sure if he should open his eyes just yet because he’d know instantly if the kiss had affected her the way it had him or if she was going to reject him.

“I miss you too.” He heard her voice at a whisper and opened his eyes to find her just as altered as he was. Lex grinned slightly, glad she was admitting how she felt but the moment was about to ruined like so many before it.

“Chloe?” The questioning voice behind them in the basement office couldn’t be mistaken. When Lex turned away from Chloe to face him, Clark looked as if he might kill him over the sight before him.

“Clark?” Chloe spoke before he could and if he did say anything it would have been to send Clark away.

“What is he doing here?” Taking the last step down into the basement Clark took long strides until he was standing in front of them. The question was pointed at Lex and he searched for the correct response.

Chloe let ago of him completely and the loss of her touch made Lex hate Clark a little more then he already did. If this was going to turn into some sort of tug of war over Chloe, Lex knew he had the upper hand. No matter how many abilities Clark possessed or how close they were as friends Chloe didn’t love Clark.

“If it isn’t obvious I’m here to see Chloe.” Lex didn’t let his emotion get the best of him. He already had an out burst that day with his father and wouldn’t fall prey to it again in front of Clark.

Clark’s nostril flared and he could see him tightening both his palms into a fist. His attention turned to Chloe for the moment as he spoke. “Are you okay?” The question sounded like Clark believed Lex was violating Chloe in some way.

“I’m fine.” Chloe answered him in a huff. “Do you mind giving us some space?” Lex wasn’t sure how she would handle Clark’s appearance but her asking him to leave gave Lex insurance that she wanted him back.

“No!” Clark shouted echoing in the empty basement. “I won’t leave you alone with him so he can hurt you again.”

“Clark I’m standing right here if you have something to say about me then say it.” Lex didn’t know what he meant by hurting her again but his first thought was the day of the meteor shower. Chloe never mentioned it and Clark denied any association with that day but just now he was telling Lex what he always suspected.

“I know what you did to Chloe during the meteor shower.” Clark turned to him; moving toward him like a hawk. This wasn’t the best move Lex made, provoking someone with as many powers as Clark had, but if getting a rise out of him would lead to the truth Lex would take the beating.

“Clark never presume to know anything about me and Chloe.” The words sounded as if Lex and Chloe were together and had been for some time. Lex wanted things to be that way and have Chloe at his side but that wasn’t exactly the way of things.

They started the long stare they shared many a time before until Chloe stepped right into the middle of it. “Clark it doesn’t matter what I told you. What’s happening right now between Lex and I has nothing to do with you.” She was looking right at Clark still starting at him until her words sunk in.

“But…” Clark stuttered turning his focus to her but he didn’t get far.

“I’m asking you to be my friend and to leave.” Chloe moved away from him and stood to Lex’s right. “I can handle myself.”

“Can you Chloe?” Clark reached his hand to her touching her shoulder making Lex step a side. “You haven’t been yourself the past two months. I think you need me to stay.”

Lex watched them share a moment. One like he had with her when he was inside Clark. His voice was low, his eyes were pleading and the sight of his hand on her made him cringe. The past month Lex thought to Chloe often and now he knew she was polluted by him in some way he didn’t know about.

He wanted to say something and was dying to know how she hadn’t been herself. The words were on the tip of his tongue yet he said nothing.

“I know you have been worried but what’s happening…” She paused and removed his hand repeating what she already told him but the inflection of her voice was harsh almost insulting. “…has nothing to do with you.”

Clark nodded once and looked at Lex out of the corner of his eye and then back to Chloe. “Call if you need me.” He walked away slowly as if he was eavesdropping on them.

Once he was clear, Chloe moved back to her desk. “Let’s get out of here.”

Hearing she wanted to leave with him Lex sprung into action. He watched her settle some things on her desk then followed behind her to leave.

~/~/~/~/~/~/~/~/~/~

Sitting in the study of a penthouse Lex rarely used he watched and waited for Chloe’s response to what he said about Lionel. Once they left the Daily Planet Lex suggested she ride with him to their current location. To his dismay she drove herself but agree to talk with him.

He told her what Lionel told him and about his current investigation into what happened to Genevieve and Jason Teague. Lex rather continue the talk they started along with the kiss they shared before Clark interrupted them but his real reason for coming to see her had to be dealt with.

“So he knows she’s dead?” Chloe was sitting on the large leather sofa in the room fiddling with her hands in her lap; he never saw her so nervous other then the day she killed Genevieve.

“No, he’s assuming things at this point.” Lex was standing over her and tried to make it easier for her by taking a seat next to her reaching for her hands to get her attention. Once she was looking at him a flood of commitment rushed through him. Lex always knew he would have to protect her from his father and that time was upon them. “What he assumes is that we were the last people that saw her and we know where she is.”

“But we don’t know.” Chloe didn’t reject his hand instead she was clinging to keep it in her lap. “Where do we go from here?”

“I want you to do a few things for me.” Lex had thought of what need to be done during his three hour drive into Metropolis. He waited for her to nod once and went on with his plans. “If my father comes to see you tell him nothing. You don’t know where they are and when he asks what you say will be the truth. Next, I want you to allow me to place a guard with you.” The guard may have been extreme but Lex wasn’t taking any chances where is father was concerned.

“A guard?” She seemed to be processing what it meant and he didn’t want to worry her but it appeared to piss her off more then anything. “You want to have me followed? No way, no how. I won’t have some person invading my privacy.”

Lex let his other hand move to the curve of her cheek to stroke it gently. He didn’t want her angry and wasn’t doing this to make her upset. He just wanted to protect her. “I won’t take chances with my father. No matter how much he says he has changed you and I both know he hasn’t. The guard will make sure my father doesn’t try anything rash. You won’t even notice he’s there.”

Her eyes settled on him and her face moved into his fingers. He heard her sigh and his touch was having the desired effect. “Okay, I have been officially buttered up by your touch to allow you to have some stranger follow me around.” She finished with a smirk and it was the first time the sarcastic side of her came out and it was greatly missed.

“I can be very persuasive.” Lex let his hands moved down to her neck towards her back to softly kneaded her shoulder. He could have ducked his hand under the fabric of her blouse but he didn’t want to force things on her.

She was moving closer to him on the sofa still clinging to his other hand twined around her fingers. “I just want this to be over.”

“It will be as soon as I get my father off the hunt for them. I will find Jason myself to make sure Lionel will never get close enough to him. I’ll start with the location my people took him to and find him from there.” Taking his chances as he spoke, Lex let his hand slide under her blouse at the shoulder to keep up the little massage he was giving her but now her bare skin was under his hand.

“Is there anything else I can do?” She moved closer to him letting his hand sink deeper down her back.

“You can come back to me.” It was all Lex wanted the past month. He couldn’t martyr himself anymore for Chloe’s well being. They belonged together and would only get though what was happening if they were together.

“I want to come back.” She took his hand away from her shoulder then moved into his body. Her head leaned into his chest and her arms moved around him. “I’m just afraid of what will happen if I do. We always get so close then something ruins it. I don’t want you to deal with what’s happening to me.”

As she rested against him Lex let his arms settle around her. His mind started racing as to what she meant by something was happening to her. Not wanting to make her leave his embrace he had to see her face. Lifting her away from him Lex could see the start of tears in her eyes. “Tell me what’s been happening.”

“Clark was right, I haven’t been myself lately.” One tear trickled down her cheek and Lex moved to brush it away. “I can’t forgive myself for what I did. I’ve tried but I can’t and I think I’m like her.”

All this time Lex assumed Chloe didn’t want to be with him because of him. He thought she was running away from his world that led her to do something horrible but it wasn’t him at all. If he was going to get her back into his life what was wrong would have to come out.

He backed away from her to get a better view. “You’re like whom?”

“I’m like my mother.” With that the tears started. “I went to see her and I learned all about her condition. While I was sitting there listening to the doctor explain what was wrong with her I saw myself feeling the same way. She’s so alone Lex and when she ran away it was the disease that did it. My mother didn’t know how to tell my father what was wrong with her. She just drifted away until there was nothing left. That’s me and I keep trying to avoid what happened that day but I keep coming back to it. I try to focus on work and school to help me forget about it but I can’t. I want to tell someone but I’m so alone because no one understands. What if this is the start of the disease.” As she rambled between sobs Lex could see her transforming.

When she was done she buried her face into her hands. There was so little Lex understood about Chloe’s mother. When she was in hiding he tried to get her to talk about it during one of his visits and she told him her mother disappeared and she was looking for her. From what she said her mother was sick and it sounded like she had some sort of mental illness.

Chloe was trying to put her life together and have the life she planned out for herself but she was losing all of it because she murdered Genevieve, a murder that Lex knew was his fault. She wanted to be alone because she didn’t want him to see her like this but it didn’t matter if she was broken. Together they could pick up the pieces.

He tried to take her hands, to get her focus back on him but it was no use. Instead he took her into his arms pulled her back into his chest and let her cry. “You’re not her. You’re hurting and you think you don’t have anyone but you do. You feel like your alone but you don’t have to be. Your mother ran away because she didn’t think anyone would understand but you don’t have to do that.”

After a few sniffles she looked back at him, her face was bright pink from crying and her tears were covering her face. “I understand and if you let me be there you don’t have to be alone anymore.” Lex finished placing a small kiss on her forehead.

She nodded once and fell back into his arms. Lex didn’t say anything and Chloe was just as silent as they held each other. They stayed like that for a long while until Chloe felt well enough to move. When she did move it was to ask for food.

He ordered food; they ate and somehow returned to embracing each. Lex held her letting her talk to him about her life and what had happened the last month until she fell asleep in his arms. There as no more mention of Lionel and there didn’t have to be because he was going to handle it.

Lex held her but knew they would have to move if they were both going sleep. He picked her up then placed her in the master bedroom in the penthouse. He took off her shoes then suit coat. She mumbled a thank you while Lex moved to the other side of the bed to hold her the way he’d done months ago. As he held her, the void he felt was finally being filled.

Lex drifted off to sleep believing he didn’t have to be alone anymore.

TBC

Chapter 6 Safe

lj715
29th October 2006, 04:10
Great chapter!!!! I hope Lex won't have to be alone anymore but that ending makes me think something bad will happen. Can't wait for more.

westwingwolf
29th October 2006, 05:10
Yes! I'm happy that they are back together but it does sound like something bad will happen again. Whatever it is please don't let Lex and Chloe be apart, those two need each other.

hfce
29th October 2006, 16:04
That was a great chapter. I am so glad they are back together. Its clear they need eachother especially since Lionle is sniffing around.

Hope :)

autumngold
30th October 2006, 01:20
I was so happy with your new chapter until I got to the last sentance!! Please tell me that Chloe is going to stay with Lex, not leave him again!! I hope that they will be able to stay together this time!! Excellent update!! I can't wait for your next!!

letia84
29th November 2006, 05:33
Notes: Please note this chapter’s shift into NC-17 for sexual content.

Chapter 6 Safe

If he could Lex wouldn’t change a thing. The pain and loss he felt in the past while Chloe was away was like nothing he’d ever known but he lived through it. He made it to the other side and after the entire struggle Lex had what he wanted for once in his life.

The morning after Chloe admitted things hadn’t been easy for her things progressively got better. She left still feeling shaken and agreed to meet with him again that night at the penthouse. Lex rearranged the work that clouded his days for the past month to see Chloe that night. That same night Lex made love to Chloe for the second time at her urging.

Lex didn’t want to push things. He didn’t want Chloe to run away from him like before but she didn’t. Things progressed from dinner that night to having sex again. Every day after that was some blurred version of the first. Neither of them declared that they were officially together but to anyone looking, it was obvious that the relationship Lex struggled to have with her was finally happening.

Chloe told him he could call her and that she wanted a number for him. Lex had a good handle on where she would be since the guard would check in with him and there was no sign of his father tailing Chloe. After the first few weeks of surveillance Chloe put some stipulations on the guard’s presence.

Lex had to compromise with her or leave her open to any attack. They settled on him following her but he wasn’t allowed in her classes at Met U or next to her desk at the Daily Planet. There was some fighting about the guard standing outside her dorm room but the problem was slowly being fixed the more time they spent together and that meant she was sleeping over with him at the penthouse or the manor.

Chloe’s absence was so long and Lex had been so alone that her presence was powerful. Her scent seemed to be seeping into every room she stayed in at the manor and the penthouse. The feeling of her lying next to him at night after night was strange and at times he found himself staring at her and caressing her while she slept. He knew he should stop, that his behavior was bordering on possessive but he couldn’t stop himself.

He had to check night after night that she was really there. His hands would move across the curves her face, down her naked body making sure he stroked the soft skin of her back and cupped the curve of her buttocks. Lex assumed that one day he would stop doing it. Chloe’s presence wouldn’t be so jarring for him when she squirmed against him, hogged the covers or clung to him just as tightly as he was clinging to her at night in bed.

Things got a little better for Chloe with concerns to her mother. She went to see her more often and agreed to meet with a doctor of her own. Lex tried his best to rid her of her feelings of guilt over the murder. One of the keys to that was finding Jason. The more she saw her mother the more at ease she was with herself realizing that the threat of being infected with her mother’s disease didn’t have to take over her life. She wasn’t sick and didn’t want to act as if she was already done for.

The past few months Lex kept Chloe informed about his search for Jason and several other things he had in the works. The campaign for the senate was fast approaching and he told her as much he could about. Until he won or lost his advisors suggested keeping his relationship with a college freshman under wraps. That meant they couldn’t be seen together in public and her friends weren’t told.

This actually meant nothing because Clark had already seen them and of course Lana confronted Chloe about it the night she returned to their dorm room. Chloe assured him there was some strain between the three of them but they would have to get over it themselves.

Lex had filled Chloe in on almost everything that would affect her except the spaceship. Chloe knew more then she was telling him about the meteor shower and showing her the ship might trigger her memory. If Lex could he would go to Clark himself but he had to be certain Clark wasn’t just effected by the meteors. If he was Naman then he may know how to open the ship.

When she arrived at the manor late on a Friday night, Lex was going to take Chloe to see the ship but other things got in the way.

Lex was alerted to Chloe’s arrival the minute she pulled up to the manor. After getting the call he took the few steps from his desk in the study to the mini bar. There was already a bottle of wine he selected earlier that day waiting for him. He heard the door open but didn’t turn to look at her. He could hear her groan as she kicked off her heels then the thud of her overnight bag on the floor and finally her foot steps walking towards him.

Lex didn’t flinch once she was behind him and focused on pouring the wine into the glasses set aside. There was a moment when he almost broke as her arms wrapped around his waist and her hands locked in front of him. He wasn’t trying to be cold towards her but a few nights ago she teased him over his excitement to see her. She accused him of becoming a sap and Lex retreated to toning down his behavior because he was turning into a sap when she was around.

“Again with the wine?” She said resting her head on his back with a long sigh. “I hope its better then the last one.”

The affection mixed with her complaint was a common occurrence. Lex was accustomed to the bitter mixed with the sweet as the way their relationship worked and it was working well so far.

The past few weeks Lex explored the world of wine with her but it appeared he hadn’t found anything to suit her palette.

“It took some time but I think I have found one you will enjoy.” Lex placed the bottle of Riesling back into the chiller and checked each pour to make sure they were just right.

After Chloe turned down several reds he moved on to whites last week. She protested the change thinking she would like something red better but it came to Lex that night in a flash that Riesling would be perfect for her.

He unhooked her arms from around him and she let go to stand at his side. “This one is very light.” He spoke while handing her the glass he poured for her then watched as she brought the glass close to her nose to smell it.

His eyes roamed over her attire for the night and it looked as if she came right from the Daily Planet office. She was only in her blouse and skirt; a few buttons of her blouse were undone exposing the start of her breast cupped inside her bra. The site of her made Lex want to grab his groin to calm the storm before it started.

To get his mind off Chloe’s desirable appearance he tried to focus on the wine. “You might notice a light floral or fruity aroma.” Lex stood in wait as she brought the rim of the glass to her lips and took a quick sip then a longer one. He heard the pleasing sound of humming as she brought the glass down.

“I hate to say this but...” Chloe placed the glass down and moved into Lex’s personal space. Doing so made him turn his body towards her so her arms could move around his neck pulling him closer to her. “…you’re right that was delicious.”

“You doubted I’d ever find something you liked?” Lex let her have her way and leaned down closer to her lips. His mouth brushed against hers and the flavor of the wine tickled his senses.

“Let me make it up to you.” She whispered and covered her mouth with his.

Her lips parted and Lex moved past her lips then her teeth and made contact with her tongue. His hands moved to the lush curve of her hips a part of her he couldn’t get enough of. Her fingers moved up the back of his head and her nails made traces up and down his skull. Now that things had started the ship’s reveal would have to wait.

Lex leaned back from her and looked down at her flush face and swollen lips. “Sofa or desk?” Her eyes were still closed but opened wide when she heard his question.

A grin twitched her across her lips before she answered. “Sofa.” The sofa was the first place they made love and they put it to great use since then.

Lex adjusted their position leaving a gap between them to undress her as he kissed her. The last few buttons of her blouse came undone with ease then the fabric fell off her shoulders to the floor. Chloe tried to get to the buttons of his shirt but Lex brushed them aside.

He heard her whimpering over his mouth as she tried to let go but Lex moved quickly to take her body into his grasp keeping the lip lock they were in while moving her back towards the sofa. Once they reached their destination, Lex let her go only to move his hand to the back of her skirt searching for its zipper. As her skirt slipped down to pool at her feet Lex moved away from her lips to get a glimpse of her nearly naked body in front of him.

“Why am I always the naked one?” Her hands moved high on her hips as she questioned him.

Lex gave her an answer by reaching for the elastic band of her panties tugging her closer to him. She giggled at him and he thought he heard her call him a Neanderthal before claiming her lips again then letting him slip her panties down to floor.

Seeing her when she first arrived gave his cock a jolt but this little bit of foreplay was making him jump inside his pants. His hands went back to freeing her of her clothing plucking the clasp of her bra loose and free her breast to take into his hands to massage the soft mass of flesh.

He nudged her down towards the sofa and Chloe took the hint moving down to sit. She reached for the hem of his polo shirt and pulled it up as high she could until he moved out the way. Her hands caressed his bare chest and until she settled on making circles around his nipples.

Lex moved back to take her lips leaning her back further on the sofa. He was rock hard and his cock was trying to force its way out of his trousers. There was shuffling as she took her panties from around her ankles and placed her legs on the sofa. Lex positioned himself to one side of them and his groin was pressing down into the leather of the sofa.

He let his kisses trail down her mouth to her neck then nibbled his way down to her breast rising and falling as her breathing quickened under his touch. The low hum from her throat filled his ears while he teased the erect buds a top her breast taking care to pay attention to them both.

His hands weren’t idle as he explored the feel of her hips then parted her legs slightly to give him access to the entrance of her arousal. The heat radiating from her couldn’t be mistaken and Lex couldn’t calm the twitch of his cock in his pants. His finger parted the folds of her arousal until he could allow one finger to rest at her entrance feeling how wet she was starting to become. Her hands fisted to the sides of the sofa as one finger disappeared inside her then he watched them grip tighter as the first was joined by a second.

Lex was in good position to lean forward to take her breast back into his mouth and did so. Her simple humming turned into a loud moan as his body started to move with his fingers pumping in and out her. The shift of his hand allowed his thumb to flick across the tip of her clit.

“Fuck me.” She pleaded with him still riding his fingers inside her coating them as she became wetter under his touch.

The sound of her voice filled the room and Lex wanted to hear her again. “Tell me again what you want.” He let his fingers slip out of her and slowly teased the folds of her arousal brushing against her sensitive flesh.

Her eyes widened as he touched her tracing a pathway back and forth between her entrance and her clit making it harder for her to answer him. “You need the ego boost.” She grunted arching her back towards him.

“No, I just want to hear you say it again.” Her insult was noted and Lex moved his hand away from her. She whimpered at the lost of contact bucking her hips up into him trying to force him back to where she wanted him.

It occurred to him that he hadn’t been down on her in a while so he moved to taste her by bringing his hand up to his mouth placing one finger at his lips and licking her juices from his finger tips. He could see she was more than aroused by the gesture as she bit down on her lower lip and Lex got what he wanted.

“Please fuck me.” Chloe whispered arching towards him again almost lifting her entire body from the sofa.

“Was that so hard?” He said dryly moving her legs out of the way so he could move to his knees between them. He reached for the condom in his back pocket.

“I don’t think we need that.” Chloe looked up at him and she flushed red reaching for his hand holding the condom. “I feel safe with you and I don’t want anything between us.”

“Are sure?” There wasn’t any reason in particular to use the condom. Lex was tested regularly and hadn’t been with anyone since the mistake he made with the woman that tried to kill him last year. Chloe told him about her one experience with some boy from the Daily Planet that did go very will. He knew she was taking birth control but Lex never had sex without a condom even when he was engaged to Helen.

“I’m very sure.” She nodded once and that was all he needed.

He tossed the packet aside and moved to remove his pants freeing his cock at last from the tight bind of his pants and boxers. Repositioning himself between her Lex took his time lowering himself between her guiding his member inside as he moved down. The feel of her as he moved deeper inside her channel made him wonder if he would be able to do this and not come before she did. He watched her stare at him; her pupils dilating as he pushed his way as far his could.

His arm bracing him above her was being clawed by her nails as he started to thrust. The muscles in his body went tense as the friction started to build and Lex wanted to keep himself together but the feel of Chloe without any barrier between them was making him lose that control.

Her hips shifted under him as the pace increased and their flesh connected with a loud slap on each thrust. Chloe’s eyes didn’t leave him and he noticed that she liked to look at him. He even wondered if watching him lose control made her do the same.

He could see her grinding her teeth keeping in her cries but he wanted to hear her. Between breathes his nostrils flared filling his mind with her scent. He demanded that he not be the only one on the brink of losing it. “Let me hear you.”

“Ahhh….” A muffled groan left her lips and she didn’t stop there. Lex was familiar with Chloe’s incoherent babbling as their bodies connected and released one another only to reconnect on the next thrust.

He wasn’t any better saying everything he was thinking out loud to her. There were some passing phrases about how wet she was or how warm she felt and often Lex recalled a fuck pouring out of him.

He could feel her muscles tightening the faster he thrust and Chloe’s nails digging deeper into him on the verge of leaving him bruised afterwards. He shifted his body above her taking her hips with him, almost on his knees between her legs to thrust into her at a new angle.

“Touch. Baby, touch yourself.” He needed some help and hoped that he was clear enough with his request.

The power of his thrust increased as he watched her head tilt back and her hands move down between them. He could feel her searching and when she found just the right spot her cries became louder.

All the signs were pointing to how close she was. Her head thrown back, her hands frantically moving between them and she was tightening around him as he sunk in deeper with each thrust. There was nothing between them as his hard flesh drove into her bringing them both closer to release. Later that night Lex hoped that showing her the ship would leave nothing between them as well.

She flung her hand from between them, grabbed his shoulders and pulled him closer to her. He could feel her body quivering beneath him and the feel of her channel tightening only made him thrust faster until he was releasing himself along with her. Losing all control, Lex was screaming her name muffled in her hair sprawled out the leather sofa.

Taking long, deep breathes Lex let go and his full weight rested down on top of her. “Lex you’re getting heavy.” She groaned and he realized he was too relaxed on top of her.

Lex left the warmth inside her to roll onto his side making her do the same to give him room to lie down. Her head settled against his chest and Lex let the moment wash over him like so many the past few months.

“You cuddle with all your girlfriends?” She said looking up to him at her side.

Lex thought about the question for a moment. He knew they hadn’t put a name to what was happening between them yet. “Was that your way of asking me if you’re my girlfriend?”

She moved over him making him roll onto his back so she could move her body on top of him. “Maybe?” She said with a frown and a roll of her eyes. “We have been going with the flow. I’m not complaining about the time I’m spending with you but I’d like to have some sort of assurance that this time we are really doing this.”

Lex tried to look at her the best he could as she rested above him. His hand moved to brush back her messy hair from her face. “This is happening. Once the election is over you can tell whom ever you want that you’re my girlfriend but you can’t tell them I cuddle with you.”

She chuckled and poked him in the belly. “I guess you don’t want anyone to know that the reserved, cold Lex Luthor likes to sit at home while reading and snuggling up next to his girlfriend that happens to be a college freshman.”

The memory she was recalling was one Lex did enjoy. All his nights out when he was in Metropolis or the parties and functions he’d been to recently, didn’t compare to arguing with Chloe over a novel she was reading for one of her classes. “That information stays between me and you.”

She smiled at him and leaned down to kiss his chest tasting the sweat that was now coating his body. “I should clean up.” Chloe squirmed against him and moved away but Lex didn’t want to let her go so quickly.

“You remember I wanted to show you something tonight?”

She smiled and nodded once. “I hate surprises; I wish you’d tell me what it was.”

Lex let her go and she reached for her clothes that were discarded on the floor. “You’ll know everything very soon.”

After cleaning up and getting dressed Lex drove them to his hidden warehouse. Maybe Chloe had answers for him or maybe she didn’t but there weren’t going to be anymore secrets.

~/~/~/~/~/~/~/~/~/~

As Lex walked ahead of Chloe into the warehouse it was odd to see the place without scientists circling around him. He could see the ship before she did. “Brace yourself.” Lex told her turning to move out of her way so she could get the full view of it.

Her eyes widened and her mouth fell open. “What?” She muttered moving into the space.

He started to recall to her what happen that day and how he came upon what she now couldn’t take her eyes off. “After you disappeared I was frantic. I was on the phone rallying some people to start looking for you when I saw it. I stopped the car and got out and there it was. There were burning cars surrounding it and some people were injured and this thing was smack in the middle of it.” Lex spoke but Chloe may not have been listening.

She moved closer to the ship and her curious nature had taken over. Her hand extended out towards the ship but she retracted it once she was close enough to touch it. She turned to him. “Can I touch it?”

“Go ahead.” Lex watched her turn back and her hand ran across the nose of the ship.

“It’s warm?” She assessed. “It’s like its still running.”

“My scientists have no idea what type of alloy it is or how to get into it for that matter.” Lex kept his distance letting her examine the craft. She looked around the sides of it then knelt down under it; her eyes settling on the same symbol that he saw the day they reconnected.

“What is this?” She questioned.

Moving close to the ship Lex remembered his call from Edgar Cole a day after he asked him about the symbol. “The symbols are layered. There are three total and they spell Z, O, D. I have been referring to the ship as Zod.”

She rose to her feet quickly not turning back to look at him. “Why did you bring me here?” Her voice was wavering and the word Zod seemed to mean more to her then he knew.

“Because I want you to trust me. I don’t want anything between us. This is important to me and I felt you should know.” Lex admitted as much as he could but Chloe filled in the holes.

“You think I know what this is?” She turned to look at him and he could see the pain in her eyes. “You think Clark told me something?”

“You always see right through me.” Lex didn’t move toward her but just waited. Chloe understood that he wanted to understand Clark but the long silence meant she knew something and wasn’t going to tell him what it was.

He could see the tension coiling inside her as her hands curved into a fist at her sides and she stared at the dark ship. “That day in the caves…” She started then breathed out and seemed unsure about going on and Lex wasn’t going to let her.

“Wait…” As much as it pained him to say what he was about to it was what needed to be said. Lex wanted to know the truth. He knew what Clark could do. He suspected he was from some other world and this ship would lead him right to him. Knowing the truth had consumed Lex for years but it only brought him suffering.

He’d gotten hurt, he lost time with business ventures and he almost lost Chloe. He put Chloe in danger the day of the meteor shower and if he it hadn’t been for him they would have been together the entire month she was away. He had to keep her safe even better he had to keep her with him.

“I’m not showing you this so you can betray Clark’s trust.” Lex started again moving next to her; taking her clenched hand into his. “If you tell me what happen that day and it makes you feel as if your betraying Clark then don’t say anymore. Showing you this is to establish trust between us. Trust is important to me and I know it’s important to you.” He waited for her to turn and look at him. He needed her eyes on him so he could finish and when she did that he went on. “I have put finding out the truth ahead of so many things. I won’t put this in front you, in front of what we are starting.”

He watched her process his words. She licked her lips and her eyes widened before she spoke as if she might cry. “But it’s not fair to you. If I keep it from you how can you ever trust me?”

Lex let her hand go to move and push back the stands of hair from her cheek. “It’s not about what’s fair, it’s about what’s right. If you think your betraying Clark then don’t tell me.”

She moved away from his touch toward the ship and placed her hand on it. “He’s afraid of you knowing. Clark was afraid when he found out how much I knew.”

Lex squinted his eyes confused by her confession. All this time Clark thought Lex was so much of a threat and the idea that they were ever friends was hammered home as not being true. “He’s afraid I’ll do what?”

Chloe turned and took the few steps back to him. “To be honest with you, I don’t understand his fear but he doesn’t want you to know. I’m sure if he knew, Clark would be trying to find ways to keep you from finding out more. He thinks you’ll expose him.”

Clark’s powers were the first layer to his secrets and lies. If he was afraid of being exposed Lex knew for months and not once did it cross his mind to tell anyone. His only thought was to know how his powers could be used and secrecy was key to that. “His fear hasn’t come to light with what I know so far.”

“I know but he would still see it as a betrayal.” It appeared as if she wasn’t going to tell him and Lex wasn’t going to push the issue.

His purpose had been severed showing her the ship and it was up to her to take the next step. “I’m not pushing you to tell me more. If you want to then I’ll be ready to listen but, for now, you know what I know and let’s leave it at that.” He was being so understanding because his need to be with Chloe was out weighed by any feelings on the matter.

“Thank you for trusting me but the way things are right now, I can’t tell you… yet it” Chloe hugged him taking in a deep breath as if she was relieved. The yet meant to him that she would tell him everything sooner than he thought.

“Can we get out of here?” She moved to leave and Lex followed after her but not before taking one more look.

He stared at the ship for moment and had no more answers than when he entered the warehouse but he had Chloe’s trust.

~/~/~/~/~/~/~/~/~/~

When Lex returned to the manor with Chloe things seemed to be calmed. They talked in the car about making plans for the weekend. It would be one of the last weekends Lex would have before he started to focus full time on the senate campaign.

As they made their way to the study, Lex couldn’t see that something was wrong. His guards were in place at the entrance and all seemed fine.

He didn’t see that anything was wrong until he opened the study door. Chloe was just behind him as he pushed the door open and saw Jason then the gun he was pointing at the door way.

Once he saw the gun everything was a blur. Jason was furious and wanted his mother. Lex didn’t have answers for him but Chloe told him the truth. He couldn’t stop her from saying she killed Genevieve and the words sent Jason further into a frenzy. Jason moved to aim the gun at her and Lex lunged at him. If he got shot then so be it, Chloe wasn’t going to be hurt because of him.

His security had turned out to be useless yet again and Jason somehow got into the house. Lionel appeared to be one step ahead of him and sent an enraged, armed, Jason to his front door.

As Lex struggled for the gun a shot rang out and everything after that become a blur.

The next thing he remembered was blood on his hands.

Lex always thought he could keep Chloe safe but he was nobody’s hero.

TBC

Chapter 7 Hero

Notes: I know it’s horrible that I left the end of this chapter rather vague. Is Chloe shot, is Jason, is Lex, did Chloe shoot Jason trying to stop Jason or did she shoot Lex by accident? All this will be answered in the up and coming last chapter.

lj715
29th November 2006, 05:39
Excellent chapter but very cruel of you to end it the way you did. I hope that neither Chloe nor Lex is shot. The smut was hot & I really liked that Lex wanted to share the alien ship with Chloe not because he thought she knew something more about it but just because he didn't want secrets between them. Can't wait for more!

westwingwolf
29th November 2006, 06:31
The smut was excellent and I'm happy that they are finally at a place where they are happy. I'm glad Lex cares more about Chloe then about the truth about Clark. Don't go writing anything about a fatal shot for Chloe or Lex because you didn't post this in the angst area so no angst should be in this fic more than we've already seen. I don't care that Lex isn't a hero, heroes are stupid, Clark could be the one to save Chloe and Lex, but that doesn't mean that Clark gets to be the one who is with Chloe. Hero worship isn't love, equality is love. I'll be stepping off my soapbox now.

I really love this fic and I think you are doing a wonderful job and I will respect whatever way you choose to end this fic, but I can't make any promises about being happy about it.

letia84
16th December 2006, 21:59
Chapter 7 Hero

Lex had been tight lipped for about two hours. He wasn’t going to say a word until his lawyer arrived but the detective in front of him kept asking him question after question.

Instead of listening he let his mind focus on the place where the blood used to be on his hands; blood that should have never been there.

“Mr. Luthor, the sooner you start talking the sooner you can leave.” The detective grunted for fifth time that night.

Lex took his eyes off his hands for the moment to look at the detective. The dark circles under the man’s eyes said he hadn’t slept much, his wrinkled appearance made him look even more worn and the slight drawl of his voice told Lex that he was born and raised in Smallville. He had nothing against this man since he was simply doing his job but he had a more pressing matter to attend to.

“As I have stated before I’m not saying a word without my lawyer present.” He replied to the man then his thoughts went back to the order of events that night.

He had wine with Chloe, they made love on the sofa, Lex took her to see the ship and when they returned to the manor he was at peace with himself. She trusted him, she loved him and he thought she was finally safe with him but she wasn’t. After the gun went off Lex did what he did to keep his promise. The police didn’t have anything. They were holding him for no reason.

Jason intruded on his home and he killed him protecting it. The first bullet went into Chloe but the second, the third and the fourth all went into Jason.

Lex let his mind go back to Chloe in his arms and the blood gushing from her showing no signs of stopping. He had to leave the damn police station to get back to her. Smallville General Hospital was seconds away but he was stuck.

“I think you know you have no right to hold my client.” The door slamming opening was the sound Lex was waiting for.

His lawyer had finally arrived and he could go where he was needed. After seeing Chloe he’d have a long talk with the man about his tardiness. The detective and his lawyer exchanged a few words and moments later Lex was released. He had to keep this under wraps not only for his sake during the election but for Chloe’s.

Freed at last, he drove without caution towards the hospital. Once he arrived there was a jolt of fear that hit him. Chloe was alert the last time he saw her but what if something tragic happened while he was away. Chloe could be dead and he wasn’t with her.

He fought with the staff a few moments and once the doctor that worked on her told him she was doing well he was still thinking of the worse. Walking down the hall being lead to her room he could only think of the worse. Everyone was looking at him but he didn’t really notice. The dried blood on his shirt, the messiness of his clothes and the worn look in his eyes was getting him more glances then normal.

“She’s here but please keep in mind that she’s resting and needs to rest.” The nurse spoke opening the door and moved aside. Everything seemed to disappear once Chloe’s body was visible lying in the bed steps away from the door.

Moving towards her bedside he could see she was breathing. The look on her face was one he was accustomed to. He saw the peaceful look night after night but never after she had surgery to remove a bullet.

He let his hand reach out to hers resting at her side. He wasn’t going to put her in a place like that again. There was one thing that had to be done. For the first time in ages Lex allowed himself to let go. Chloe was hurt and so close to death and any signs of his self control were lost. He fought them back as long as he could but a tear slid down the curve of his cheek and then another. He was squeezing her hand so tightly she woke up.

“Lex.” The soft sound of her voice forced him to look down on her. “Are you crying?” She questioned taking her hand back reaching it up to him.

“No.” He lied and it was a bad lie since he was still crying.

“I’m fine.” She said to him and it was what he needed to hear. “I will be fine.”

“What the hell are you doing here?” Lex turned to face Gabe Sullivan and the stern tone of his voice shook him a little. Gabe’s face was twisted in away that he’d never seen before. “Get away from my daughter.”

“I know what you must be feeling.” Lex started but was quickly stopped.

“You don’t know how I feel.” Gabe moved into the room getting so close to Lex he could feel Gabe’s breath. “I trusted you with Chloe’s safety when she got mixed up with your father but, I’m sorry, no matter how old she gets I won’t let her make any more decisions that will bring harm to her and by that I mean you shouldn’t be here.”

“Dad stop...” Chloe tried to speak but started to choke on her words coughing over what she was trying to say. Gabe rushed to the other side of her bed protecting his daughter.

“I want you out of this room.” Gabe was focused on Lex and he was right. Chloe was here now because of him.

During the time he spent away from her last year she was fine and the moment Lex came back into her life everything went wrong. He looked down at her struggling to focus on him trying to be strong but he could see the pain she was in. She’s wasn’t going to bouncy back from this gun shot wound and fall back into his arms like all the other times things went wrong for them.

If he learned anything from being Clark it was having all the power in the world but not being able to use it when you wanted to. He had the power to love Chloe for the rest of his life but knew it would only hurt her in the end. He had the power at that moment to let her go. The power she had over him the past few months would fade away and his loneliness would creep back into his life.

With no concern for Gabe, Lex leaned down and kissed Chloe on the forehead then moved to brush his lips against hers. It wasn’t the best kiss they shared but it meant more to him then she would understand at that moment.

Still leaning down close he whispered. “I love you and I’m sorry for what I have to do.” Then he stepped away from her looking back to Gabe. “Nothing like this will happen again.”

“Wait.” He heard the soft whisper of her voice calling after him, pleading him to stay but Lex didn’t look back. He could imagine her reaching out to him from her bed, unable to move, and the confusion in her eyes as to why he was leaving but he wouldn’t look back.

She was going to be all right this time and he would make sure there wasn’t a next time. He went home and took care of himself. Things with Jason would be taken care of. No one would ever know the truth about what really happened and it would all go down as self defense. Chloe would never know how Jason really died and it would be a secret he would keep from her as long as he could.

That night when he confronted Lionel, Lex knew what he had to do. He’d known all along that one day he would have to do this but always dreamed his father would come around; that one day he’d be a father. Lionel was cut off completely. He had nothing to his name and Lex removed him from the manor by force; the only thing he had were the clothes on his back.

He never admitted to any wrong doing but, if Lionel sent Jason to kill them, there was no telling what he would do now that he cut him off completely. He knew Lionel didn’t like failure and with nothing he would try again. With nothing Lex wouldn’t under estimate him. Lionel would find a way, he always found a way.

Cutting himself off from his father was easy but it was much harder to do with Chloe. She was in the hospital for about a week and Lex made sure her guard was watching her. The night Jason attacked them he gave the man the night off. A mistake he wouldn’t let happen again by making sure she was followed in secret; he wasn’t to be told about anything going on with her unless she was in danger. She would call but it was easy enough to ignore the calls. Even her attempts to stop by were easily stopped but not so easily forgotten.

Work would once again be his focus. The election, Luthor Corp and the black ship would all be at the front of his mind in order to push Chloe out of it. Lex had done this before, after the summer they kissed, for nearly a year and he could do it again.

That moment seeing her shot and the tears he shed would always be with him reminding him that he would only bring Chloe pain. Seeing her that last time and hearing her voice calling out to him he thought would be the last; he settled on that being the last but things were never be so cut and dry.

The past should have proven to him that Chloe wouldn’t go away no matter how hard he tried to push her away.

~/~/~/~/~/~/~/~/~/~

Lex wasn’t fine the past few weeks. There was no way he could be after what he’d given up. Saying good bye to his days and his long nights making love to Chloe were proving to be harder to do than ever. Working on the campaign was his escape and it was going well enough. Well enough until he was shot the night of Christmas Eve. If anything Lex could say his life wasn’t lacking bullets.

Watching the snow fall outside of Metropolis he let his mind go back to the dream he had when he was under the care of the finest physicians his father could find while he was incapacitated. Lionel had somehow managed to sneak his way in when Lex had fought so hard to keep him out. After what happened with Jason, Lionel had no assets but some how he made sure he went under the knife that night. He could have made things worse but Lionel wouldn’t have a cripple for a son.

“Are you sure you want to go through with the next step? Do really think it will give you your happy ending?”

Lex didn’t turn away from the snow to look at his silent advisor for the campaign. He didn’t want to hire someone like him but Jonathan Kent’s recent involvement in the election was ruining his chances of winning. If he was going to win only two things could matter to him and the life of Jonathan Kent was not one of them.

“Do whatever you have to. Find it. Fake it. Do whatever it takes to knock Jonathan Kent out of the race.” He paused looking to the man and he knew his last chance at a happy ending. “And you want to know the secret to living happily ever after? Power. Money and Power. Once you have those two things you can secure everything else and keep it that way.”

“Then I guess you don’t need me.” The sound of Chloe’s voice was so clear Lex knew it was her by the crisp and sharp tone of her insult without seeing her yet. “If you have those two things what good would I do?”

His advisor stepped aside revealing Chloe’s figure to him. He hadn’t seen her since she was in the hospital and looking at her now nearly made him fall over. The long black winter coat she was wearing had remnants of the snow as little droplets of water. She slowly made her self at home unbuttoning the coat, undoing the scarf wrapped around her neck then tossing it to a nearby chair while keeping her gaze on him. Once the coat was gone he took a moment to take her entire appearance looking her up and down in suit he’d seen her on before.

How she got pass his guards was beyond him after them turning her away for weeks but he wouldn’t put it past Chloe to talk her way back in to the hospital room. As the thought was settling in his gaze went to the door and his guard that was following her was standing there looking as if he knew he did something wrong.

“You can leave.” Lex directed his advisor and gave a slight nod to the guard to do the same.

“Merry Christmas.” His advisor spoke to Chloe as he stepped past her leaving the room and closing the door behind her.

“Are you all right?” Chloe started moving into the room closer to him at the window. The controlled look on her face was slowly fading away now that they were alone.

“As well as one can be after being shot.” Lex answered wanting her closer to him, trying to hold on to his own self control. His dream was still fresh in mind and the sight of her made him want to take her back into his arms making the past few weeks the dream and her being with him the reality.

“I know the feeling.” She looked away for a moment and had to be thinking of her own injury. The words cut into him thinking about her lying in the hospital fighting for her life. He was so busy thinking of that night he didn’t see her move to stand right in front of him. “Are you done now?”

Lex’s gaze was on her and every time he looked at her the same thing seemed to happen. He started slipping away and wanted to say whatever she wanted to hear to get her back. But he had to stick with the plan. Chloe couldn’t be with him no matter what he did or how he calculated it she couldn’t be a part of his life.

He cleared his throat and answered as plainly as he could. “Done doing what?”

She let out a long huff and cut into him again like she done so many times before. “Are you done pushing me away? Are you done being afraid that I’ll get hurt being with you? Are you done thinking you know everything and that us being apart is really solving anything? Because I don’t think you gave me a chance Lex. You walked away when I was in the hospital and didn’t give me a reason or think about what it would do to me. You only thought of yourself and when you love someone it’s not just about you anymore. It’s about the both of us. Please tell me you’re done because I miss you and I won’t go on letting you make all the choices for the both of us.”

She paused and moved closer to him leaving a small gap between them. “Why did you leave me when you said you wouldn’t? You treat me like I’m dead, as if I died that night. But I didn’t die, I’m right here and I want to know why.”

He couldn’t do anything but watch. She was starting to cry a little the more she spoke and, when she finished, she tried to hide the tears by brushing them away on her cheeks. Everything she said was true but she didn’t know the whole truth.

Instead of going into the ugliness that was that night Lex said something to throw her off. “I had a dream tonight.” He reached for her hand taking it with his keeping the small distance between them.

Her face calmed some after her long rant but she was still a bright read. His statement had her confused and she looked up at him eyes slanted but squeezing his hand for the answer. “What was your dream?”

“It was about you. I woke up in a bed with you; it seemed so real.” Lex could still smell her lying next to him and feel his arm wrapped around her body. “We were woken up by Alex.” The thought of what he was saying next was the second best thing in the dream besides having Chloe there with him.

“Alex?” She looked at him her eyes focusing intently on his face for the answer then she seemed to process it all on her own. ”Alex? As in Alexander, as in junior, as in our son.”

“Yes our son.” The words were nice and Lex hadn’t thought about marrying Chloe or having children with her but he knew he wanted her to be in his life for as long as she would stay with him. The red haired boy beaming over Christmas day was an amazing sight to see. “You woke up, got up out of the bed then I got a full view of you pregnant, very pregnant.”

She smiled at him and chuckled a little at the thought of what he was saying to her. “Is that how you see me? Barefoot and pregnant?”

“No, of course not. You were still you. You were still every thing that I love but…” He paused and realized what he was about to say next; the reason she shouldn’t be standing in front of him now. “…it all went wrong Chloe.”

He hadn’t touched her in so long the feel of her hand wasn’t enough but without warning she reached up to touch him. The warmth of her hand on face was comforting as he relived the worse part of his dream.

He let go of her hand and removed hers from him turning back to the window, turning away from her. “You died.” He said blankly avoiding her gaze as best he could.

“But that was a dream, what does that have to do with anything.” He could feel her presence behind him as she spoke but couldn’t turn to face her.

“You were happy. I didn’t think it was possible you could be that happy.” He paused again thinking back to the night she was shot. “I can’t make you happy and I can’t keep you safe.”

“How do you know that? I was happy for the past few months when we were together then you ripped that all away.” She touched his shoulder making him turn to look at her.

“You heard what I said just now when you walked in. A person like me will never be able to be with someone like you.” It was same thing he said the first time they kissed and it was still true. He wanted out of the space and out of the room but she wasn’t letting him go so easily.

“Do you honestly think I assumed you would play the election straight and narrow?” Her question wasn’t what he meant and Lex would have to make her understand.

“I killed Jason.” It was the one thing he’d been holding from her hoping he never had to tell her.

“I know you protected me, you protect us both, Jason wasn’t going to…” She was wrong and he interrupted her before she could go on.

“No. The gun went off and I saw you…” He paused for a moment letting the memory wash over him feeling the rage he felt when he saw she was hurt. “Something happened to me. I saw you hurt and I wasn’t going to let Jason live another second because of it. I fought him for the gun and got it away from him then I knocked him out with it. He was out and was no longer a threat. I could have called the police, called an ambulance for you but I shot him first. I shot him until I knew he was dead.”

“No that’s not what happened.” Chloe turned her back to him and he could see her looking to the doorway planning her escape. “You killed him in self defense.”

“I’m not the person you think I am. I’m not a hero. I’m not like Clark and I can’t handle things the way he could have with his abilities. I saw someone hurting you and set out to stop them. Do you honestly think you can be with someone that would do that?”

“I don’t need a hero and I certainly don’t need you to be like Clark. I can’t judge you after what I did to save you. I’m not perfect Lex and I don’t expect you to be. I understand what you did and why you did it but you have to understand me.” She breathed out and turned to look at him. “I want you.”

She rushed towards him, her body moving to take space with his and he wasn’t able to stop her mouth from moving its way to his. The kiss was slow at first but Lex groaned when he felt her grabbing the back of his head pulling him closer to her and he was gone. His hand went around her making her small frame fit perfect with his larger one. He wasn’t holding back letting his tongue slip in and out of her mouth until she pulled away leaving him with his eyes closed and lips wanting more.

“You’re not a hero. Jason wasn’t going to stop just like Genevieve.” Lex opened his eyes to look at her as she spoke. “You’re a good person Lex. You try to protect the people you care for. It may not be the Clark way but I think you do it the only way you know how. You deserve to be happy. The sooner you realize that the sooner you can start living your life and stop standing still in fear. The only reason you’re not with me now is because you choose to be. When you’re ready to change that you’ll know where I’ll be.”

She let him go and turned to walk away. This was his moment to choose Chloe. He had this moment when she came to him and he finally told her he loved her. He had his moment after the first time they made love and she was walking away from him the day of graduation. He had his moment a few weeks ago when she was lying in a hospital bed.

Every time he chose himself over Chloe and gave up. After everything she wasn’t going away. She wasn’t giving up.

Maybe it was time he did the same.

She was just at the door when his body followed his head and finally started listening to his heart. He moved as quickly as he could still in pain from his injury.

“Chloe.” His voice was focused and sure of what he was going to do.

Chloe turned back to him and tears were covering her face but he hoped this was the last time he would have to see that her that way. He let his hand smooth away the tears on her cheeks then he reached to kiss her lips slowly pulling away after lingering over her mouth for moment.

He took her hand then moved her away from the door to open it. Nodding once he signaled the guards he was ready to go home. Then without questioning her they walked out of the hospital together to the car waiting for him.

Maybe Lex wasn’t a hero but he was being saved every moment Chloe was in his life. Something about the way she sat close to him in the back seat of the car and held him was saving him. When he walked into the penthouse with him and helped him get ready for bed it was saving him. The kiss he shared with her before falling sleep with her close by that Christmas Eve was saving him. The feel of her next to him sound asleep, safe was saving. Waking up with her on Christmas morning was saving him.

Chloe had saved Lex in more ways then he could count. Now she was saving him from a life of loneliness; a life that he would have lived as she said standing still in fear.

Lex was nobody’s hero but Chloe was his.

The End

Notes: Yup it’s over for now. Thanks for reading. But don’t worry I’ll be back since I plan on making this one a trilogy so look out for the teaser for the third part soon.

westwingwolf
16th December 2006, 22:28
Yes! I loved how you ended it. I was going to cry if you had Lex walk away from Chloe and leave it there, but good ol' Chloe won't let Lex get away with behaving like that.

I have mixed feelings about this trilogy part. I obviously want another part because this story is so great. But this last part ended so happily, I don't want to see it messed up again. However, what is a good story without drama and angst and hopefully another happy ending. So I await to see what else you have in store for Lex and Chloe.

carly
20th December 2006, 01:51
YES! THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!
For leaving them together.
It's a great story:D
And I'll be looking for next part :rofl:

letia84
9th January 2007, 21:22
Here is the teaser for the final part of this series. The idea was Lex would see the world as Clark and realize he wants to be himself. Then he would have to see that the world isn't perfect and must expect that he can't control it all. In this last installment he has to make the right choices with the knowledge he's gained.

Keep in mind I won't be posting this until If Looks Could Kill is done and I'm very close to doing that.

Title: Getting It Right (Sequel to Through Another Man’s Eye’s and Nobody’s Hero)
Author: Letia84
Rating: R For adult language, some sexual content, and some violence
Disclaimer: I do not own these characters. Own by DC, Warner Brothers and The CW
Summary: As the election comes to a close Lex only has one chance to do the right thing. He could use Clark’s secret to push Jonathan Kent out of the race or take the higher ground and play fair. The black ship disappears and Lex knows Clark could be the only one to find it again. Lionel may have been striped of all his power but somehow he finds one last chance to rise again. So many things are weighing down on Lex and in the middle of it all is Chloe. He has one chance to choose and the wrong choice could lead to losing everything.

lj715
9th January 2007, 21:54
Sounds good...can't wait!

westwingwolf
10th January 2007, 00:10
I hope he chooses correctly! I'm sensing more angst, and I'll hope each chapter will bring a happy ending. I can't wait!

starmoon
6th April 2008, 09:12
i love it and i can't wait to read the last part.

sabby
4th July 2008, 18:00
The sequel definitely lives up to the expectations from the first part. I love how you showed Chloe's conflict and Lex's incapability of making the right choices because of his own fears.

The scene in the hospital was perfectly frustrating, because it was clear what Lex would do and at the same time I just wanted to yell at him to smarten up and stop blaming himself for things other people did.

I also liked the way you brought in the dream, too bad you didn't elaborate more on Chloe knocking some sense into his head.

I'm looking forward to reading the third in this series, to see where things take Chloe and Lex.

hfce
4th July 2008, 22:55
I can't believe I forgot to reply. Good story girl. :)

Ami Rose
28th May 2013, 01:58
Awsome loved it