PDA

View Full Version : [Completed] *COMPLETE* Sacrifices of Love (T/PG-13) 9/28/06

~*~Tasha~*~
1st June 2006, 03:33
Sacrifices For Love - (1) The Beginning Of The End
By ~*~Tasha~*~

Chapter Summary: (Rated from T) *PG-13* This starts near the end of the Season 5 finale episode "Vessel". My evil and taunting human muse Peggy challenged me to do this fic after she gave me a couple plot points. Evil Peggy, blame her. {Chuckles}

Author's Note: Season 5 unfortunately happened as it did on the show for the purposes of this fic. I have just changed some scenes in "Vessel" a little bit as a prelude to the end where I pick up and continue the end of the episode. We'll never see this for the Season 6 premiere, but hey that is what fanon is for. Hope you enjoy it. Quotes are taken or manipulated from the Season 5 Finale "Vessel".

Author's Note #2: There was some discussion about when Chloe actually came to Smallville. I had wanted to write the one scene as an earlier time in her life, but because of the discrepancies in age I set the scene for later. Thank you to everyone for their responses to my inquiry.

Disclaimer: These characters, and some of the bits of dialogue, are the property of the WB, CW or whatever they are calling themselves now. A lot of time is involved in my writing, but your feedback is the only form of "payment" that I receive. I have only the hope that you will enjoy what I come up for our heroes, heroines, and villains.

'Single' quote marks surround thoughts in this story. "Regular" quotes are around spoken words.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

"Chloe!" Clark picked up his speed on his descent down the stairs. Chaos had erupted in Metropolis. All the lights were out, and everyone scrambled to get out of the building. "Chloe!" He sighed in relief when he spotted her. "What's going on? All the street lights are out."

Chloe pulled the small silver box close to her when someone tried to grab the old radio away from her. She hastily grabbed some batteries for it, and she walked up to Clark. "You tell me?" She turned her lap top screen around for Clark to see. She knew enough about Kryptonian symbols to recognize they were the source.

"It's already reached Metropolis." Clark frowned.

"You know where it started?" Chloe hoped Clark had a good idea how to stop everything from going topsy turvy before too many were hurt. She'd seen a dozen fights already break out while people evacuated.

"Smallville." Clark looked down at the screen again. "Fine did something to one of Lex's computers."

'Just great. I guess the world does revolve around Luthor Corp,' Chloe thought to herself. The irony of the situation was not lost on her.

"I thought if anyone could figure out what it was, it would be you." Clark followed Chloe from one desk to another. 'This is not good. If Chloe looks that perplexed about a computer issue, we’re in trouble.'

"It's some sort of electronic virus, and it's spreading faster than I can track it." Chloe continued to work on the radio in front of her. She hated being cut off from the world. It was one of the reasons that she relied on technology so much. She hated being kept in the dark. "After it scaled every firewall and knocked out all high-tech communication, it's now infecting most of the city's infrastructure."

"All because of me," Clark said resignedly. 'Can I make any decision right lately?' He sighed. "I refused to release Zod."

"No time for a pity party, Kent," Chloe said with a hint of sarcasm mixed with teasing. She finally finished with the radio, and she fiddled with the dials to see if she could pick up any reports at all.

"Now Fine's trying to force my hand." Clark practically growled out the words. 'What good is being so powerful, if I can't even protect the people I care about from destruction?'

"Well, he's definitely playing hard ball." Chloe slapped the side of the radio. "Elevators, gas mains, subways ... the entire city is shutting down. It's like Y2K on acid." Her father always warned her that one day technology might be their downfall. He was being proven right in a big way.

Clark and Chloe listened to a sketchy news report that crackled over the radio. The signal wavered in and out because of the interference and connection losses.

Chloe's face rippled to show the fear she felt. "Clark, if this continues, every major city in the world is going to be infiltrated." She was interrupted by the frighteningly close sound of tires squealing.

Clark and Chloe both looked over at the street level stained glass window. Clark knew before Chloe that the police car was coming through. With his lightning fast reflexes he grabbed Chloe, wrapped his body around hers for protection, and swung them around to stop the car with his hand. Glass shattered all around them, but neither of them were cut or injured.

Chloe and Clark stared at the car for a few moments after it settled before Clark tried to take off. Chloe grabbed his arm. "Clark, it's no use. You can't save everyone."

"And I can't release, Zod," Clark sad adamantly.

"What if Jor-El was right?" Chloe was frustrated. "What if the only way to stop Zod, stop Fine, stop all of this is to destroy Le ... that vessel?" She caught herself before she said Lex's name.

Clark may have been blind to the feelings of the women in his life many times, but he hadn't missed Chloe's snatch and grab to pull back Lex's name from her lips. From the moment they found out that the vessel had to be Lex, he'd watched his friend seem to crawl back inside herself. Chloe put up a brave front, but he knew that the idea of killing Lex hurt her.

Chloe's eyes pleaded with Clark to understand. She knew he didn't want to kill Lex either, but it would be wrong of either of them to sacrifice the rest of the planet to save one man. She felt physically ill at the idea of Lex's funeral. She tried to force that image, and the tears that threatened to fall, away.

"What if something goes wrong? I don't want to leave you here." Clark didn't want to leave his best friend to fend for herself. He knew she was strong, but he wanted to keep her safe.

"You have to." Something stirred within Chloe when Clark started to walk away again. She followed his movements with her eyes, but something made her stop him before he left her completely.

"Clark?" Chloe twisted her hands together. "I may never see you again." A part of Chloe wanted to kiss him soundly to show herself that amidst all the chaos and pain, someone still felt something for her. She knew that wasn't the right thing to do. It wasn’t fair to either of them to betray the ones they really loved. No matter how much pain he'd caused her, or that he was going to die soon, Lex was the only man she'd ever want anymore.

Clark turned around to face Chloe. He gulped hard. Would this be the last time that he ever saw her? An instant later he had an armful of his best friend.

Chloe leaned up and kissed Clark chastely on the cheek, a sign of friendship not romance. She pulled back to touch his cheek with her fingertips. The tips glowed for a few seconds, but Chloe passed it off as a flicker of light from the police car half lodged into the building. "Be careful, Clark." She worried about who would win the battle that Clark was going to have to face. Who would she lose? Clark or Lex?

Clark and Chloe jumped a little at a noise and stared at the phone. It was ringing. Clark walked over to it and put the receiver up to his ear. "Hello?"

"Hello Clark. I heard you wanted to see me," Lex Luthor was on the other end of the line. The sardonic smirk that he usually wore was conveyed even in his words on the line.

'God, why does it have to be a choice between the two?' Chloe asked herself, followed by a small barely existent voice in the back of her head that said, 'Be careful, Kal-el.'

Clark sped off to meet up with Lex. He knew right where to find him now.

Clark reached the Kent farm in record time, even for him. He carefully looked around the family barn. He felt something strange. He heard the heartbeat, and he turned around to face his once friend and now enemy.

Lex emerged from the shadows slowly. He acted like he wasn't in any danger from Clark or anyone else. He took his time. "So what did you decide?" He opened his hands out away from his sides with the palms up. "Are you gonna kill me?"

"You can't blame me for this Lex." Clark gulped. He wondered how Lex knew about Clark's duty. "You did this to yourself."

"Oh come on, Clark. You love it." Lex turned and started moving closer to Clark all swagger and guts. "Ever since that day on the bridge, you've always seen yourself as my savior." He practically rolled his eyes over the word. "You'd be the one thing that pulled me off the dark path I had started. So, that's why you've clung to the idea that there is still some good in me."

Clark had seen Lex's more devious sides. He'd seen him at what he thought was his best and his worst. No matter what Lex said to him, Clark could see the hint of trepidation. Lex was all bluster on the outside, but he refused to believe that his heart was that twisted on the inside.

"You don't want to face the fact that you might have failed." Lex loved being able to stick it to Clark. He'd lived in Clark's shadow almost as much as his father's, and he was sick and tired of it. He felt strong and powerful. It was about time Clark realized that.

"Or maybe I just can't believe that someone would have so little will power," Clark countered and advanced closer to Lex.

"It's real hard to compete with the iron will power that it takes to kill one of your best friends." Lex knew a lot about Clark, even if he didn't know Clark's secret. One of Clark's weaknesses was always his martyr complex for the good of everything. He moved closer to Clark until he stood toe to toe with him.

Clark watched Lex very carefully. He had the dagger with him, but he kept searching for a way to keep from using it.

"How did you know I was going to come back like this?" That knowledge puzzled Lex. From what Lana told him, Clark and Chloe seemed to know exactly how he would come back. He tried to ignore the pang of pain that entered his heart when he found out that Chloe knew about his change and Clark’s mission, but she didn’t tell Lex about it.

"You don't realize how much danger you're in." Clark tried to reason with Lex. Somehow he had to get Lex to refuse anything else Fine would offer him.

Lex smirked and looked off to the side. He looked like he was contemplating Clark's words, but instead he was grinning with delight on the inside. 'Ever the hero, Clark.' It was time to put Clark in his place once and for all.

"I used to think you had this strong inner core," Lex began. He shook his head a little. "You were so virtuous." He nibbled on his lower lip. "And yet you lie ...” He paused to get closer into his face, and his eyes turned flinty. “… All the time." Now he was starting to get angry again. "To me, to Lana, to all the people who cared about you. What kind of sick person would do that?"

Clark stood amazingly firm and strong of will. This was one time that he wouldn't let Lex sway him into a battle of words. He had to remain calm. "If you thought this friendship was so doomed from the beginning, why did you fight so hard to keep it?"

"Because I wanted everything you had: the family, the inconspicuous life, the loyal girlfriend ..."

Clark eyes narrowed. He let Lana go to try and protect her. He never thought that she would fall into Lex's arms. Now it seemed that Lana was in even more danger than she would have been if she stayed with him.

"Well, at least I walked away with the part you loved the most." Lex stared directly into Clark's eyes with a twinkle of delight. He doubted that Lana really loved him. Lana enjoyed status and attention. He gave her both. She was a means to an end for Lex, to get revenge on Clark for abandoning him.

Clark almost lost it. His jaw clenched, and his blood bubbled in anger. The moment before he struck, a calm filled him that he didn't recognize. "You're not yourself," He found himself saying.

"Or maybe I finally am." Lex was tired of the chit chat. It was time to take some action. He would show Clark once and for all who the better man was. He grabbed Clark by the lapels of his jacket and swung him around.

Clark crashed through a beam to the lofts before he was able to gain headway again. He had no choice but to reveal himself for what he truly was. He twisted Lex around and threw him up into the hayloft with force.

Hay and wood shattered to the floor, but a body never fell. A rush of wind was the only sound to alert anyone to Lex's movements. "I always knew there was something different about you." Lex picked up Clark and threw him against the opposite side of the barn. 'The secret is finally out. I know what you are, Clark.'

Clark tried to pick himself up off the loft, but Lex was right there trying to strangle him. Clark, who had more experience with the strengths of his abilities, flipped Lex over. In one smooth move, one of Clark's hands was on Lex's shoulder, and the dagger was held at Lex's throat with Clark's other hand.

Lex nearly cried out. His body was able to withstand more pressure, but Clark was evenly matched to him in strength. So, the blows hurt. He looked up at Clark with worry in his eyes. A part of him, some part that knew what Fine was doing, realized that if Clark used that dagger it would kill him.

Both of them were distracted from their decisions by another voice in the barn. "Do it, Clark."

Clark turned his head long enough to tell that Fine was behind him. 'As if I needed another Kryptonian to deal with.' He refocused on Lex. The dagger started to glow, and it emitted a higher pitched tone.

"Let's see if you really are your father's son," Fine sneered.

Clark's hand shook, as well as the dagger. He was not a murderer, and right now Lex was still human. He couldn't do it. He just couldn't kill Lex.

Lex grinned at Clark. His heart actually ached at the pain he saw in Clark's eyes. 'Why doesn't he do it? Why doesn't he end it?' He whispered a soft, "Please" that only Clark could hear. He had seen what power did to his father. He wanted revenge on Clark in the worst way, but something told him that Clark wouldn't be the only one to suffer from Fine's plans.

"NO!" Clark snapped around, threw the dagger, and watched as it embedded itself in Fine's chest.

Fine hit the floor. His face, though in pain, was a mask of glee. 'I knew he wouldn't do it.' He delighted in the weakness that would allow Zod to enter this realm.

"What have I done?" Clark cursed Jor-El for asking something of him that he could not do. He watched the dagger glow in Fine's chest, and he cursed himself for not listening to Jor-El this time.

Lex stood up behind Clark. He had been prepared to house the Kryptonian mind. He already knew things that he never should have known. His mind told his body to freeze and wait for what was to come. He wasn't able to do anything now but watch as his fate unfolded before him.

"You've opened the portal for Zod." Fine felt the power flow through him, and the red beam that entered his body snapped to redirect itself into Lex's body.

The force of the beam's contact sent Clark flying away from Lex. He watched immobile while Lex screamed and shook. The full brunt of the beam attacked Lex until it snapped gone, and Fine disappeared with it.

"Lex?" Clark slowly stood up. "Lex?" He tried to get Lex's attention again. He carefully walked down a few steps from where he landed to get closer to Lex.

Lex, who had remained facing away from Clark since the beam hit him, turned around in a daze. He tilted his head a little, as if looking at Clark with curiosity and not familiarity.

Clark watched Lex move in his direction. He counter circled his movements because he was unsure of who he was really going to be speaking to now. Fine wouldn't have disappeared if the ritual wasn't finished.

Lex raised his hand to Clark's face. Before he could touch it, Clark edged back a little. He smirked. "You have your father's eyes."

Clark gulped in fear. Jonathan Kent was the man he thought of as his true father, but they definitely didn't have the same eyes. 'That should be the only father Lex knows about.'

Clark's fears were substantiated when Lex said, "Hello Kal-El."

"Where's Lex?" Clark asked. 'Have I still killed Lex by not killing him when I had the chance?'

"Lex is dead." Zod, now alive and well in Lex Luthor's body, didn't care if the vessel's spirit was alive or not. He was in control now. A voice at the back of Zod's mind screamed out to be free. 'I'm not dead. I'm not dead!' Zod forced the voice further back into the recesses of his mind.

"Why are you here?" Clark's chest heaved with the extra breaths he took to try and calm himself. His emotions were all twisted inside, and he couldn't let them free now.

"For the same reason as anyone who'd been imprisoned like a beast," Neither Lex's voice or stare showed any emotion. Even so, the tension surrounding him was palpable. "Revenge."

Zod turned away from Clark and walked up higher into the loft towards the upper barn door. "Your father banished me to an eternal Hell trying to save a doomed race. In the end the only survivor of his pathetic crusade," He turned around to face Clark, "Was his son."

"Then this is between us," Clark walked as he talked. "This people did nothing to harm you."

"No, but you feel no pain greater than to see others in agony." Zod smirked. His battle with Kal-El was won before it really started. "I have his memories, Kal-El. I know your weakness."

"I won't let you destroy this planet like you did Krypton." Clark's resolve strengthened. If he had to die in order to kill Zod, he would do it. Zod killed Lex, and now it was time to do his duty.

"You don't have a choice." Zod wondered what it would take to gain Clark's compliance. Maybe if he offered to save these people in exchange for Clark's allegiance, he'd accept it. "Unless you join me."

"I'll never join you."

'Oh well. It was worth a try. It would have been so much fun to corrupt Jor-El's son.' Zod walked away from Clark. "Well, I hope that's a decision you'll be able to live with. Forever." He removed a silver bracelet with Kryptonian symbols from his wrist. 'Justice will be sweet and sure. He will suffer, as I suffered.' He released the band into the air.

There was something familiar to Clark about the object. He tried to get a better look at it when it stopped a moment in front of his face, but it flew into the night sky too fast for him to see it. Clark felt the pull a couple seconds after the object disappeared. 'Oh no, the shape. It's ...'

Zod nodded to Kal-El. He saw the panic on the Kal-El's face just before he vanished, and it would delight Zod for years to come to see that look on the great Jor-El's son's face. His lips twitched into a dark grin.

Chloe dashed back and forth along the chaotic streets of Metropolis. She dodged a trashcan that flew at her, and she twisted away from someone that tried to pull her into an alley. She fought her way through the mob. Instead of finding an outlet to freedom, she was stopped by advancing Metropolis police in riot gear.

Chloe ducked back through the mob the way she came. She plastered herself against a chain link fence, praying that she'd survive the nightmare. Her prayers seemed to have been answered because she noticed a very familiar license plate on a long black limousine. 'Lionel Luthor.'

Chloe ran up to the back of the limo and beat on it. "Help! Please help me. Let me in, please."

Lionel Luthor swung open the door of the hardly moving car. "Get in." She slammed the door shut behind Chloe. "Ron, get us out of here."

The driver's window was smashed from the outside, and several people from the mob pulled the driver out of the limo.

"Ron! Ron!" Lionel called out. The car rocked back and forth, and rioters were breaking every window to get to the car's occupants.

Lionel was pulled out of the car next. "Mr. Luthor!" Chloe screamed. Glass shattered around her, and her clothing was torn when it caught on some of the broken glass on the way out the window.

Lionel Luthor tried to fight off his attackers. He was a businessman, not a boxer. He fought as best he could, but he was losing.

Chloe kicked and screamed trying to dislodge her attackers. They pushed her to the ground and started pulling at her clothes. She fought harder. There was no way they were getting any of THAT from her.

Lionel jerked upright and screamed. Power surged through his veins. His eyes clouded over, and the whites of his eyes became all that was seen. In the next moment rioters were sent flying away from Lionel. He fought his way over to where he hoped Chloe was. When he finally reached her, he threw everyone near her away.

Chloe shivered. Her adrenaline rushed through her, and she was bleeding on her face and arms. "Thank you, Mr." Her voice froze. It wasn't exactly only Lionel Luthor standing before her. She jerked back when he reached his hand out towards her.

"Don't worry, my dear. You will understand soon." Lionel Luthor caressed Chloe's cheek. A soft glow radiated from his hand onto her face. Chloe promptly passed out. Lionel stood guard pushing and kicking anyone away that got near her. He knew it wouldn't take long for her to rise.

Chloe blinked open her eyes after 30 seconds. She looked around at chaotic surroundings and frowned. 'This looks familiar.’ She sighed. ‘Pandemonium and chaos.' She pushed herself up off the ground and stood. She tilted her head to the left a little and smiled. "Jor-El?" It may not be his body before her, but she recognized his spirit. She felt invigorated by the power that flowed from their essences and into their vessels.

"Hello again, Kara." Jor-El smiled briefly. "It's been a long time."

Chloe nodded. Memories rushed back to the front of her mind instead of where they had been lodged for years. During one of Chloe's many excursions to the Kent farm in her Freshmen year of High School, she came across something that she had forgotten about until now.

(Freshmen Year of High School at the Kent Farm)

"Hide and seek?" Clark raised a brow at Chloe. "You've got to be kidding me, right? We're 15 Chloe."

Pete laughed next to Clark. "Are you afraid that you are just too tall to hide any more Clark?" He bounced on the heels of his feet. Chloe's idea sounded silly, but it also sounded like fun.

"Let go a little, Clark." Chloe loved to tease Clark. She'd only been living in Smallville for a year and a half, but she really felt like it was home to her. Clark helped her right from the beginning, and she loved him for it. He was like a big brother, a cousin or another family member. "Just because we're in high school doesn't mean we have to put away all the fun games. Can you think of something better to do?"

Clark shook his head with a laugh. "All right, Chloe. If you say so."

"Good." Chloe clapped her hands together. "You two hide, and I'll count to 200. A little over 3 minutes should be long enough to hide."

"Any rules on where we can't hide?" Pete asked.

"Nothing beyond the driveway fence line at the road or into the fields. Anything else, go for it." Chloe was excited to play the game. She needed a stress release right now, and this was just the thing to give it to her ... harmless frivolity. She closed her eyes and started counting, "1 ... 2 ... 3 ... 4 ..."

As soon as Chloe's eyes were shut, Pete and Clark took off in separate directions. Maybe this wasn't such a bad idea after all.

A short time later, "198 ... 199 ... 200! Ready or not here I come," Chloe shouted. She whirled around. She headed for the house first. After a thorough search that amused Martha and Jonathan Kent, she headed back outside.

Chloe put her hands on her hips. "I wonder where those two could be."

Jonathan opened the door of the house and spoke directly to Chloe, "I know they aren't in the storm cellar. So, you don't have to bother with there."

"Oh, okay. Thank you, Mr. Kent." Chloe grinned. 'Well if that wasn't a hint, I don't know what is.' She raced off in the direction of the barn.

'Whew.' Jonathan Kent stepped back into the house. 'That could have been a big mess. She is far too curious for her own good.'

Chloe darted off towards the storm cellar after only a cursory glance around the barn. Mr. Kent seemed like he was trying to be helpful. So, she was going to take full advantage of it.

Chloe pulled on the storm cellar door. It was secured awfully tight, and she had to put her full weight into it. She tripped over the entryway because she was off balanced still from opening the door. She peered into the darkness. "Come out, come out, wherever you are." She giggled.

Nothing and no one answered Chloe back. She was just about to turn around and leave when a strange humming sound caught her attention. "You don't have to be mean and play with me cause I missed you," She called out into the darkness and followed the hum.

A few steps further and Chloe's mouth dropped open. "Oh my God." She cautiously got closer to the large black object. It was the source of the humming, and it glowed a little bit. 'What in the world are the Kent's hiding in here?'

Chloe stretched out her hand in front of her. Her fingertips barely grazed the surface of the ship, but it was enough contact to set it off. A bright flash of light filled the storm cellar, and Chloe hit the ground.

Jonathan Kent walked out to see how the teenagers were doing. He hoped they weren't hiding around some of the dangerous equipment. He doubted that either of the other two would be immune to hurting themselves like Clark was. The flash from the cellar caught his eye, and he ran into it. He found Chloe on the floor, passed out.

(Present Time)

Later when Chloe came to, Jonathan and Clark asked Chloe about the storm cellar. All Chloe was able to remember was that she tripped coming in the doorway, and she must have hit her head and passed out. Now, she knew the truth that had been suppressed from her active thoughts that day.

Chloe's eyes looked up into the white and cloudy eyes of Jor-El. She knew who he was, and she knew why he was here. She spoke two words in question to make sure she was right, "It's time?"

Kara, the spirit and essence of Kal-El's cousin that rested in his spacecraft until Chloe touched it, was awake and alive in Chloe Sullivan. Although she had hoped never to be needed, she knew what duty she had to perform. She had all the memories of Chloe Sullivan and those of her own on Krypton. "He wasn't able to kill the vessel?"

"No, he did not." Jor-El sighed unhappily. "He never listens to me."

"Did you honestly think he would this time, Uncle?" Kara touched Jor-El's arm reassuringly. "He is confused about our ways, but his heart will not allow him to harm another in that way."

Jor-El nodded. "And now it has come to this." He clasped Kara's hand in his. "We must finish this."

Kara and Jor-El looked skyward. Their bodies lifted off the ground effortlessly, and they shot over the top of the building and back onto the rooftop.

Zod, long black leather duster rippling in the wind, turned around on the ledge of the Luthor Corp building to face the new arrivals. He'd felt their presence the moment their essences emerged. He knew they would try to stop him, but he wasn't going to go down easily. "I wondered if you were going to show up." He hopped off of the ledge.

"You never should have made it here, Zod," Kara's brave voice spoke for her Uncle and herself. It pained her to see Zod, even more so than it did her Uncle. Zod betrayed all of Krypton, but he'd used her to help him.

Kara had been the envy of her friends to garner the “romantic” attention of the great Zod, but it was only a ruse to gain her trust. What teenager wouldn't be overcome with the attention given to her by an older man, especially one as handsome as Zod was? Now she could redeem herself. She couldn't stop what Zod started on Krypton, but she could stop him from destroying this planet.

"Look who thinks she's all grown up." Zod brought himself closer to Kara. "I must say that you have chosen a nicely shaped vessel, Kara." He sized Chloe's body up and down. "It seems that my vessel has thought about that body of yours quite often. Shame on him." He laughed. "Though I can't blame him too much. You do look tasty." He reached out a hand to tuck a bit of Chloe's hair behind her ear.

Kara gripped Zod's arm and squeezed tightly. "Don't you even think about touching me."

"I plan on doing much more than that." Zod's eyes reflected the threat of retribution and pain if Kara didn't back down. The two stood close enough to appear in an intimate embrace.

The door from the main building onto the rooftop opened. Lana Lang emerged from behind the metal door. "Lex?" She covered her mouth with her hand. "Chloe? What are you doing touching her like that Lex?"

Kara growled. She knew that voice, and she bubbled over with anger at the woman named Lana Lang. Her vessel was furious, and she felt that Lana was a threat. Kara kicked Zod in the chest and pushed him away from herself. She sped over to Lana, pushed her up against the door and clutched her throat.

Zod laughed darkly. Lana Lang was nothing but a trivial cog in his plans for the planet Earth. She was of no consequence to him if Kara wanted to end her life. He had no idea what other plans Fine had set in motion for Lana.

"Ch ... Chloe?" Lana choked out.

Kara's eyes narrowed. She knew this woman's devious and yet seemingly innocent ways. She would make sure that Lana Lang did not get in the way of returning Zod back to the phantom zone.

Jor-El looked up into the night sky. Then, he narrowed his gaze on Zod. "You took my son from me again, didn't you?"

"With pleasure," Zod sneered. "I'll do it as many times as it is necessary to make you understand that I am the superior force, not you."

"You will never learn, but you will pay." Jor-El attacked Zod head on. The pair threw each other back and forth across the rooftop. Sometimes one would sail off the roof only to return to begin once again.

Lana watched Lionel and Lex Luthor go at each other like two lions. She shrieked when one of them sailed over the edge of the rooftop. She stared at them petrified when she realized that neither of them were dead but still on the roof. "Hhh ... How?"

"You've lived in Smallville all your life, and you never noticed?" Kara fought herself to stay back and let Jor-El do what needed to be done. "Are you that blind?"

"No, but you are." Lana broke free of Kara's hold and an otherworldly look flashed in Lana's eyes. "Did you really think he would come back without me?"

Kara growled. "I had hoped he would." She traded kicks and slashes with the possessed Lana Lang. Somehow, maybe because the girl had so much personal contact with Kryptonite all those years, Lana's body became a portal to Zod's female counterpart, Ursa.

Secretly Milton Fine had added things to the bottled water purchased by Lana after she saw his craft and then later at the Luthor mansion. He had a keen eye, and he knew that only Lex and Lana drank the shipped in water. The chemicals would do nothing to alter Lana's genetic make up, as the serum did when administered to Lex, but it would help to channel the right energy when he needed it. His Master was not a happy man, alone. No one on this planet would be worthy enough to be his second in command. So, he'd help to make one worthy.

If anyone had the time or inclination to pay attention to the roof of Luthor Corp - Metropolis, they wouldn't believe their eyes. Two women fought with supernatural speed, grace, and agility. They were vicious in their attacks. The battle was personal to each of them, both for their essences and their vessels. There was a lot of frustration that needed to get released.

Likewise, two males flew from one side of the rooftop to the other at breakneck speed. They rammed fists, heads, and bodies into each other in an attempt to knock the other one off balance.

Cuts healed instantaneously, bruises never appeared, and no one was out of breath as the fight raged on. It seemed like days took place when it was only a matter of hours before Jor-El pinned Zod against the door and clamped a device to his wrist.

"Our lives for our sons," Jor-El spoke. "Justice be served on Zod." He opened his hand skyward. A beam of blue light shot from his fingertips into the atmosphere. The zone that held Clark Kent captive shattered, and he fell back to earth.

Jor-El and Zod were sucked into a newly created section of the zone. Lionel and Lex Luthor's bodies went with them. Zod's screams rent the air into nothingness. Ursa's screams followed. She wouldn't be left behind this time. Hell with Zod was better than Hell without him. She let herself go and took the chance that her essence was released into the atmosphere soon enough to reach the zone.

Lana's body slumped to the ground for a minute or two. Then, she noticed Clark laying on the ground. She shook her head back and forth trying to remember what happened. She ran over to Clark as quickly as she could and collapsed next to him, holding him.

Kara grinned snidely. "How easily your affections change, isn't it?" She watched Lana Lang hover over Kal-El's body. She knew that Lana was the woman that Kal-El had once chosen for his own, but it made her sick to envision him with someone so fickle.

Clark Kent, Kal-el to his Kryptonian family, blinked open his eyes. He let Lana help him up, but his eyes were on Chloe. "Who are you?"

"Clark, that's Chloe. Did you hit your head?" Lana asked.

"He fell from the sky and hit solid concrete." Kara rolled her eyes. "Don't you think he hit his head a little?"

Clark chuckled. 'Chloe's attitude, but there is something different about her eyes.' Just like before with Lex in the barn, he felt a presence from her that he hadn't noticed before.

"I am Kara, your cousin." Kara smiled at Kal-El, but her smile soon turned into a frown. "I wish I had more time, but I have to save him."

Clark frowned. He looked up into the twisting plane that was like a mirror into the Phantom Zone. He saw Lex and Lionel Luthor screaming from inside the zone. A flash of light and Lex's body dropped from the sky onto the roof.

"Lex!" Lana started to run towards Lex.

"Oh for the love of Krypton." Kara yanked Lana away from Lex's unconscious form and knocked the woman flat on her ass and out cold. Kara dusted off her hands. "Sorry, but she was getting on my nerves."

"She does that sometimes." Clark didn't know if he should try to help Lex or not. He looked over at Kara with a frown. She was looking up into the zone again. Lex's face was gone, and Zod's true face was revealed.

Kara looked back down at Clark. She could see the pain in his eyes. She smiled warmly and cupped his cheek. "He needs my help, Kal-El. I can't leave him unprotected and alone with Zod."

Clark nodded his head in understanding. "He gave his life for mine." He may have hated many things about his father, but Jor-El had willingly given up the last of his freedom to save his son. "Be careful." He stepped away from Kara to make sure he wasn't pulled back in.

Kara looked up into the zone once more. She closed her eyes and ascended into it. At the moment that she disappeared into the zone, another body flew back onto the rooftop. "A life for a life. A spirit for a spirit. The father sacrifices for the son." A voice from the zone echoed. "What once was chained has now been freed. Live well, Kal-El."

Clark Kent helped a very displaced Lionel Luthor up off the ground. He saw the moment Kara's spirit left Chloe's body, and he knew that Chloe was back in control once more.

"Where am I?" Lionel looked around him. It seemed that he was up on the Luthor Corp building, but the last thing he remembered was being on the street with Chloe. He looked around at all the broken signs, utilities and vents on the roof. Then, he looked over at Clark. "Did we win?"

Clark chuckled. "Yes, we won."

Chloe crawled over to Lex's body. She felt like she just went 10 rounds with Mike Tyson. Her head throbbed, and she had so many bits of information and memories floating around that she was getting lost. She started repeating to herself, "I am Chloe Sullivan. I am Chloe Sullivan."

"Are you sure about that?" A groggy Lex Luthor mumbled. "Because I could have sworn that you were a hot little number named Kara." He groaned. He was disorientated, and his head was swimming with knowledge and memories that he shouldn't posses.

"Um ... yeah. I think that was still me, Lex." Chloe crawled the rest of the way over to Lex. Whatever strength had infused her body previously left her when Kara's essence and spirit did. She grinned to herself at the memory of choking Lana. She looked over to make sure Lana was still passed out, and her grin widened. 'That felt good to do.'

Lex pulled Chloe closer to him. He remembered everything about the fight, and he'd seen the tenacity that Kara showed. He knew that Kara was only showing the fire that already burned bright in Chloe.

Chloe gazed longingly into Lex's hypnotic eyes. He seemed different, more like the man she'd thought was gone.

"I know that look Chloe Sullivan, and I'm not going to tell you why yet." Lex half laughed. He was sore, but no cuts were visible on his body. He looked down at his unmarred hand and furrowed his brow. 'I should be black and blue from that beating.' He looked up at his father and noticed that Lionel's face was littered with cuts, scratches and bruises.

Clark lifted Lana into his arms. He walked over to Chloe and Lex with Lionel at his side.

"Clark?" Lex looked up at Clark. "I don't think he's gone." He pushed himself off the ground and stood up far too easily for the beating he'd been given.

"He's gone Lex." Clark reassured him.

"But ..." Lex stomped his foot onto the room, and he kicked a hole into the concrete. "I still know everything about him, and that was not a normal Lex Luthor move." He pointed at the hole in the roof.

Chloe slowly eased herself up off the ground. "Fine changed you on a molecular level, even before Zod took up residence."

Lex helped her up the last few inches and drew Chloe into his arms. "His memories?"

"I hate to say it, but I think you are stuck with them." Chloe looked over at Lionel Luthor. "I don't know about Mr. Luthor, but I've got a full set of someone else in my noggin now too."

"I almost envy you that, Miss Sullivan." Lionel sighed. "I always remember nothing when the transformation occurs."

"You knew about this?" Lex questioned his father. "That's why you kept warning me to stay away from Fine, isn't it?"

"I didn't know exactly what would happen," Lionel lectured his son. "I don't remember anything once I come out of it. All I had were the writings, and in your state of mind I couldn't show them to you."

"You still don't trust me. You never have." Lex grumbled.

"And what if I had showed them to you, Lex?" Lionel reasoned with Lex. "We would all be dead before a single punch could have risen to stop you. Fine tried to have me killed when he realized just how close I was."

Clark nodded. He shifted the dead weight of the unconscious Lana in his arms. "Fine made himself look like Jonathan Kent to try to get me to kill your father. It almost worked."

"This is like an episode of the Twilight Zone." Lex rubbed his face over his hands. "I keep hoping I'm going to wake up." A lot of things had happened to him in the last 6 months, and he wondered how much of it was his own thoughts and how much he was manipulated. He'd left himself open for the manipulation by his own quest for superiority over his father and Clark Kent.

Lex walked over to the ledge and looked down at the darkened city below. This was where his quest took him. All of Zod's memories were twisting around his own. Zod destroyed an entire civilization in his quest for superiority. Was it too late for Lex to turn around before he did the same thing to Earth?

Chloe faltered a few feet away from Lex. Her body was weak, and her mind weary. She nearly fell to the ground, but Lex caught her with his fast reflexes. He cradled Chloe in his arms much like Clark held Lana.

"I think we should take this off the roof." Lionel put a reassuring hand on the lower backs of both Clark and Lex. He felt more connected to both of them and nurturing which was a strange feeling for him. "We have to figure out a way to undo the damage that Fine caused with the computers. No one is safe until we do."

Clark and Lex carried their precious cargos into the main building. They found the cleanest room possible and laid their women down on separate couches. Given how Lana became unconscious, they didn't think it was wise to put them together.

They had a lot to figure out. Their lives were in chaos, and so was the world around them. Zod was safely locked away, but they still had a world to save.

(To Be Continued)

hfce
1st June 2006, 04:06
Oh my Goodness bravo :clapclap: if this was on my tv I would still be watching Smallville. I can't wait until part 2.

Hope ;)

Esther25jm
1st June 2006, 05:05
SQUEE!!!!!!!!!!! Ok, I know you've already got my replies from everywhere else, but dang it, I just love this too much to not comment! Oooh, what I wouldn't give to have you writing SV. <g> Can't wait for Ch. 2!!!

Gaia
1st June 2006, 11:24
Part 2! Part 2! Part 2! Part 2!Part 2! Part 2! Part 2! Part 2!
Part 2! Part 2! Part 2! Part 2!Part 2! Part 2! Part 2! Part 2!
Please?:D

hiddenangel
1st June 2006, 12:12
Hey great start, when are we getting an update?

Krysia
1st June 2006, 12:52
I just have one word for you: WOW. I love all of the characters and how you merged them with the characters from the show was just neat. I also think it's cool how Lex now has his own set of superpowers. I can't wait to see what happens next. Also I loved how Kara kicked Lanas ass and I hope both Lex and Clark will finaly see Miss Lang for what she realy is. More, please.

Kit Merlot
1st June 2006, 13:49
This is an awesome beginning--more please:D

welshy
1st June 2006, 16:07
That was a great beginning, I hope there's going to be more soon.

autumngold
1st June 2006, 17:30
If Smallville was really like this I never would have stopped watching!! Thank you for letting Chloe be so strong and part of the solution!! I really wish she had killed Lana though!! Update again soon please!!

Jopline
1st June 2006, 20:17
its perfect:grin3: :blinkkiss

Alizaleven
1st June 2006, 23:44
Woohooo!! That was so extremely way awesome! I would love for this to happen in the show. It just seems soo much more logical for this to happen then whats happening now blah to that... Please please please update soon! :D I can't wait :D:D

westwingwolf
6th June 2006, 06:10
I've decided to no longer watch SV, I'll just read whatever you write and take it for the truth. That was incredible. Lana got the crap beat out of her, Lex is now Super Lex, and then there is the Chlex. Long live the Chlex. OK truthfully, I'm probably still going to watch SV, but it will only be to get my MR fix and that's it.

darkangel
8th June 2006, 08:52
This is how I felt that the finale should have gone. Loved it, please update soon.

starmoon
21st June 2006, 08:40
that is great please update soon.

tigerbaby
22nd June 2006, 00:38
Tasha,

we've made some revisions to the forum rules with respect to rating fics and where they should be posted. Please visit and revise fic as need be.

Thanks

~*~Tasha~*~
22nd June 2006, 21:05
Thank you to everyone who has responded already to Sacrifices of Love. Chapter 2 will be posted right after this response to all the reviews from Chapter 1. I am not sure how many chapters this story will be, but it shouldn't be too many for those who don't like things to be drawn out. I will probably go with longer chapters, but fewer.

I am so giddy over several of your reviews that stated if Smallville was like how I wrote this, you'd still be watching the show. Although I am sad to hear that some of the poor writing choices of the Smallville staff have pushed such fine people away, I am ecstatic to hear that you like my version of events. I personally wish that we'd see something like this too. Unfotunately, we all know that won't happen. {Frowns}

Hopefully the updates will be more frequent. I'd like to get out at least one a week until this is done. {Smiles}

Also, I have adjusted the rating of this story based on the current rating that it has. If it goes up to an NC-17 later (like Fragile Hearts did), I will also have PG-13 versions of the chapter available (with a link at the beginning of those chapters).

A personal thank you to the following people for their reviews: hfce, Esther25jm, Gaia, hiddenangel, Krysia, Kit Merlot, welshy, autumngold, Jopline, Alizaleven, westwingwolf, darkangel, starmoon

~*~Tasha~*~
22nd June 2006, 21:06
Sacrifices For Love - (2) Regrouping Amidst Chaos
By ~*~Tasha~*~

Chapter Summary: (Rated: T) *PG-13* This picks up right after Chapter 1. Everyone has moved into the Luthorcorp building. They scouted out one of the suites that seemed untouched by the chaos outside. Lana wakes up and freaks out. Chloe finds out that Kara unlocked a lot more in her mind than just memories. Clark, Lionel and Lex try to figure out how to get the city back under control and what to do with their abilities.

Author's Note: During one of the flashbacks some quotes were taken from the Season 1 episode "Hug".

Warning: Although I won't always write her this way, my last two stories have called for a mean or bad Lana. Lana is not written nicely in this chapter or story. Sorry.

Disclaimer: These characters, and some of the bits of dialogue, are the property of the WB, CW or whatever they are calling themselves now. A lot of time is involved in my writing, but your feedback is the only form of "payment" that I receive. I have only the hope that you will enjoy what I come up for our heroes, heroines, and villains.

'Single' quote marks surround thoughts in this story. "Regular" quotes are around spoken words.

Lex stroked his fingers through Chloe's hair. He looked over at Clark Kent and Lionel Luthor, his father, while they talked. He heard everything that they talked about from his place on the couch, and he didn't want to leave Chloe's side.

Lana Lang was still unconscious. Many thoughts ravaged their way through her head like a continuous nightmare. She saw a civilization being torn apart until nothing was left, not even the planet. She trembled from her position on the couch, but no one noticed her movement.

Lionel Luthor swayed back and forth. He pressed his fingers into his temple to rub the ache behind his eyes.

"Are you all right?" Clark asked, concerned about Lionel Luthor's well being for probably the first time in his life.

"I think I'm starting to feel more of that beating I took while Jor-El was in my body." Lionel twisted his neck from side to side in the hopes of relieving some of the tension in his body.

In one moment, three screams rent the air. Lionel grabbed his head, fell to his knees and screamed out in pain. Chloe kicked at Lex, grabbed her head and screamed out in agony with tears falling down her face. Lana shot up off the couch, grabbed her head and screamed.

Clark and Lex's supersonic hearing was a curse at the moment, and both of them covered there ears and prayed that the noise would stop soon.

Lionel was the first one to stop. His hands dropped to the ground, and he panted in an attempt to regain control of himself. Images flooded through his mind from both the past and the present. He knew the keys to all the writings that he'd been infused with now as well. The memories of the past 4 years that Jor-el's essence inhabited the Earth sifted through his mind. All of Jor-El's Kryptonian memories started to flood through Lionel's synapses.

Lana awoke from her horrible nightmare. She stopped screaming when she realized that she wasn't on the crumbling planet, but in a room with a bunch of different people.

Clark walked over to Lana. He drew her into his arms. "It's all right, Lana. It's over. She's gone."

Lana looked up at Clark with confusion in her eyes. "Who's gone?"

"Whatever possessed you is gone, Lana," Clark explained.

"Possessed?" Lana looked over at the still screaming and crying Chloe Sullivan. "She hit me!" Some of the memories of her possession returned to her. "That bitch tried to choke me." She fought against Clark's grip to get to Chloe.

Clark held onto Lana tightly. "Calm down, Lana. We need to explain."

"Miss Sullivan hit the spirit within you," Lionel tried to appease the situation with an explanation.

"I was all myself when that bitch tried to choke me," Lana growled.

"So, you're evil then Lana?" Clark questioned.

Lana huffed. "It was when I first came onto the roof. She and Lex were," Her voice trailed off, and her gaze wandered over to Lex and Chloe. "He was touching her like he is now. Why are you touching her, Lex? You're mine, not hers."

Clark felt the sting of rejection from Lana. He let her go and backed away a couple steps.

"She hit me, Lex." Lana pouted. "Is this another test to see if I can be strong enough to handle if you have to hold and comfort another woman?"

Lionel Luthor resisted rolling his eyes at the brunette's naiveté. 'What did my son ever see in her?'

"Get a grip, Lana. You're upsetting her." Lex looked down at the trembling woman in his arms. Chloe no longer screamed, but she whimpered in pain.

Lana advanced on Chloe with the intent of hurting her. Clark sped around in front of Lana at super speed to keep her from getting close enough.

Lana blinked. "Clark?" She turned around to see where he was a couple seconds ago. She looked back at where he was now. "How did you do that?"

"It was the secret I could never tell you, Lana. I knew what Lex was going to become because that's how I've always been," Clark said with a bit of shame. "The one time I told you, it got you killed."

"Killed? But I'm right here?" Lana asked in confusion.

Clark took a deep breath. "I had the day taken back. Jor-el told me how to turn back time to save you." His shoulders slumped.

"Then why did you push me away?" Lana pout changed from being sent towards Lex to being sent towards Clark.

"Because I didn't want it to happen again to you, and Jor-El still took the price of a life from me," Clark said in anger. "I'd had enough loss, and I wasn't going through it again."

Lex looked up in shock at Clark. "Your father?"

Clark nodded. He looked over at Lionel. "It wasn't only your visit that did it, Lionel." He sighed. "It was the price that I had to pay. I'm sorry that I took that anger out on you later."

"That's quite understandable." Lionel frowned. "I was still the means he used. I will regret to my dying day that I could not tell Jonathan Kent quick enough that I knew your secret, but I would keep it safe."

Lana screamed in frustration. "Your secret." She pointed to Clark. "His secret." She pointed to Lex. "All of these secrets! I'm sick of this."

"Lana, Lana, Lana ..." Chloe grumbled through the fog of searing pain in her head. "It's always about what Lana needs, wants, or the pain she's endured. Do you really care about anyone other than yourself?"

Lex cringed. He was afraid that he was going to have to throw himself in front of Chloe to keep an enraged Lana from killing the woman he loved. "You're all that matters to me, Chloe," He whispered near her ear and kissed her cheek.

Lana threw her hands up in the air. She was livid. "You are all a bunch of freaks!" Her hands slapped back down at her sides. "I'm getting as far away from all of you as I can." She stormed out of the suite.

Clark slumped down in defeat on the couch that Lana recently vacated. He buried his face in his hands and cried.

Chloe shared a thoughtful look with Lex. She pushed herself off the couch next to Lex, walked over to Clark, and sat down next to him. "I guess you were right not to tell her." She patted Clark's knee. "She can't handle the truth."

"She told me that she knew about Lex's abilities, and she wasn't going to abandon him." The stresses and emotions that had built up since Jonathan Kent's death finally bubbled over. Tears slowly fell from his eyes. "Why is it so easy for her to leave me now that she knew? My dad ... Maybe I should have just left her dead."

"She is probably in shock, Son." Lionel Luthor stood behind the couch. "She was possessed by darkness, and I'm sure Miss Lang was not used to that."

"I wouldn't be so sure about that," Chloe muttered. She gulped hard as the pain in Clark's heart pushed its way into her mind. She pressed her fingers into her temples.

Lex gazed at his father longingly. He'd constantly sought out his approval. One time he even told Chloe that he just wanted Lionel Luthor to love him. It pained Lex to see the strained, but gentle, affection being bestowed on Clark by Lex's own father.

Lionel sensed his son's eyes on him. He found it easier to show caring for Clark. He wasn't sure if it was a remnant of Jor-El's presence or a sense of debt for his contribution to Jonathan Kent's heart attack. He walked over to Lex, "It's not a competition, Son."

Lex nodded slowly. He wanted to believe that was true. Even if he now realized the futility and damage of the path he'd been on, he still envied Clark's life. That much of his speech was true.

"Images are opening in my mind, Lex." Lionel rested a firm hand on Lex's shoulder. "I was just as willing to enter the zone to take your place as Jor-El was to save his son. I knew what he wanted to do, and I agreed with him. Jor-El knew that."

Lex stared at his father in shock. His thoughts rewound to what Jor-El told Zod. "He said 'Our lives for our sons'."

Lionel nodded. "Despite our past differences, I would gladly have taken your place to spare you further pain or death." He sat down next to Lex. "When Clark told me that you were the vessel he had to kill, my heart broke. As much as I knew it was what had to be done, I felt a deep loss and regret that I couldn't find a way to save you. Jor-El gave me a chance to save you."

"Thank you, dad." Lex gripped his father's hand firmly. "Thank you."

"Oh God, not again." Chloe grabbed her head and fell to the ground. She cried out in agony. "Make it stop. God, please make it stop!" She screamed.

Lex jumped up off the couch. He picked Chloe up in his arms and effortlessly cradled her whole body against him. "Shh ... tell me what's wrong."

"The pain ... The fear ..." Chloe cried and shook her head. She wanted to clear out her mind, but the emotions kept flooding in. The brief respite that she had was not enough to help her bear the barrage of deep emotions that were pounding in her brain. "Hate ... anger ... despair."

"It's Kara," Lex spoke with a hint of authority. "She did something to you."

"What could she have done?" Clark asked.

"Kara was a benevolent and kind person. Why would she cause Chloe pain?"

"It isn't Chloe's pain." Lex carried Chloe over to the window. He looked down at the chaos on the streets. "It's theirs." He nodded his head towards the street.

Lionel nodded his head in understanding. "Chloe didn't remember when she came into contact with Kara's essence until Jor-El's essence touched her. Whatever buried memories she had were released when Kara was. Perhaps that release did something else to her brain?"

"Zod seemed interested in Kara's empathic abilities. He wanted to use them to project into others what he wanted them to feel." Lex kissed Chloe's forehead. "He knew that she was a strong Empath before, and I'm sure he assumed that Kara's presence would open the pathways to Chloe's brain that controlled empathic impulses."

"The human brain only actively uses a small percentage of its full capacity," Clark said out loud. "Maybe Kryptonians found a way to train other parts of the brain to function?"

"Kara was stronger than most." Lex's eyes flickered from side to side as if he was accessing some recessed memory. "She had deeper links with her family members, and she was not only able to feel others emotions, but she could project emotions onto others."

"How do I make it stop, Lex? I can't bear this pain." Chloe whimpered. "I can feel the hopelessness of some and the anger of others. Some are lost, and some are grieving."

"You have to channel the emotions and send them back as something more soothing." Lex lowered Chloe to the floor. He wrapped his arms around her from behind. "Put your hands over mine."

Chloe linked her fingers with Lex's. She pressed her back against his chest and closed her eyes. She shivered at the onslaught of negative emotions that came her way. "I don't think I can do it. There is so much negativity."

"You're strong, Chloe. Kara wouldn't have chosen you if she thought you were too weak." Lex encouraged Chloe with whispered words near her ear. "Think of something happy or calm. Try picturing a river running through the happier times of your life, picking up each positive memory as you go."

Chloe tried to do as Lex asked. The more she focused her mind, the more the dull ache in her head started to throb.

"Think of happier times in your life: the love of your father, happier times with Clark and Pete, or the pride in one of your favorite newspaper articles that you wrote."

"The summer with you while I was in hiding?" Chloe surprised Lex with one of her happiest memories being time spent with him. "Feeling safe even in the chaos that I should have been dead."

Lex was stunned. "Really? You actually think of that fondly?"

"It was one of the scariest and happiest times of my life, Lex." Chloe gripped Lex's hands tighter. "You took care of me and loved me like I had never been loved by anyone but my father."

Lex swallowed past the lump in his throat. He hated himself even more for ignoring Chloe later on, knowing how she felt about him now.

Chloe felt the regret ebb off of Lex. "Shhhh, it's all right Lex. I forgive you."

Lex nodded. He kissed the top of Chloe's head and tried to focus his emotions on happier times. "Wrap yourself in those happier and calming memories, Chloe." He inhaled deeply. "Dad, Clark ... try to do the same."

Lionel thought back to the few times in his life when he was truly happy. He thought about the day he married Lillian. He was so proud the day he found out that Lillian was pregnant with Lex. He focused on the joy he felt the first time he laid eyes on his son.

Clark thought about growing up on the farm. He pictured Martha and Jonathan Kent's arms wrapped around him in love and caring. He imagined how happy his father would be to know how much Clark still loved his father.

Chloe gasped at the influx of positive emotions that she felt around her. She pictured herself in a bubble with the positive emotions enveloping her. The negative thoughts were pushed to the outside of the boundaries. They were pushed farther and farther away the longer Chloe concentrated. She exhaled long and hard, pushing the positive aura away from her and into the surrounding area.

Lex's heart beat fast. The strength of emotion that flowed from Chloe was amazing. He felt like she was burning within his mind, heart and soul. "That's it, Chloe. Let it flow." It was unlike anything he'd ever felt before. "Now push it away from you in one large burst."

Chloe let go of it all and pushed the emotions away from herself hard with her mind. She felt the pulse of the emotions leave her completely and detach themselves from her. She collapsed in Lex's arms, exhausted.

"Chloe!" Clark yelled and rushed to Chloe's side.

Lex lifted Chloe into his arms and maneuvered her back to the couch. He laid her down gingerly. "She'll be okay." He wiped the sweat from her brow with the palm of his hand. "It will take some getting used to, and we'll have to build up some barriers to protect her from any backlash."

"Clark, come here." Lionel stood at the windowed wall, looking down at the street below.

"Wow." The sirens and alarms still blared, but the chaotic movements below ceased. Amidst the smoke and flashing lights Clark saw people calmly milling about, almost in a daze. "That was some powerful stuff."

"It looks like we all received a little gift for the ordeal we went through."

"What did you receive, dad?" Lex looked up at his father. He hadn't noticed any special abilities being exhibited by his father, but after that statement he wondered what he missed.

"The fact that I now have the memories that always eluded me after every possession is gift enough for me, Son." Lionel smiled softly. "It was always very disconcerting to wake up without knowing how I got there or what I'd written." He turned to Clark. "I can remember the keys to decipher Kryptonian text now."

"That will be a big help because we have to figure out a way to reverse whatever it is Milton Fine did to the computers."

"As soon as Chloe wakes up, we should head to Smallville," Lex suggested.

"How do you suggest we get there?" Clark raised a curious brow.

"I don't know about you, but I managed to get from the pavement to the top of the Luthorcorp building with little effort and what seemed to be a bit of flying."

"Hmmm ... I think that the super speed would be better if we are going to be carrying Chloe and your father."

"You're the more experienced one at this, Clark. Whatever you think would be better."

"I'm not so sure I like the sound of either of those options." Lionel gulped. He was not a man that normally showed fear, but the idea of traveling at such high speeds left him uneasy.

"Fine did something to Lex's computer at the mansion. We have to start there, and you're the key. So, you have to go," Clark explained. "Chloe is our computer expert. So, she has to go too."

Chloe sat up abruptly. "Lois!" She called out.

Lex, Clark and Lionel turned their attention to Chloe. "What about Miss Lane?" Lionel asked. He knew that Lois Lane and Martha Kent were supposed to have been on his private jet before everything went crazy. "They landed in DC safely, correct?"

Chloe shook her head back and forth. "Something's wrong. I don't know what, but something isn't right. We have to find them."

(To Be Continued)

kimmie
22nd June 2006, 23:59
I'm thrilled you are continuing with this story. It is so much better than anything any of the Smallville writers manage to throw at us! You should take up writing for The WB, and first on your agenda is getting rid of Lana like you just did in this chapter!

Can't wait for the next chapter.

-K-

hfce
23rd June 2006, 00:57
What a great update. I can't wait to see what happens next. :D

Hope :)

westwingwolf
23rd June 2006, 01:23
Thanks so much for continuing this story. I need it just to make SV bearable. If I didn't hate Lana so much, I'd say have her be somewhat good so Jonathan didn't die in vain, but I really hate Lana so have her be evil or at least really dumb and get herself killed. Damn her and her stupid ideas about tests. She thinks she's everything but she's just a lousy footnote in the lives of both Clark and Lex. I love how good Lex is being with Chloe. I want to see more of that.

Skye
23rd June 2006, 04:11
wow!! this is truly amazing. Lana... what a complete moron!:rofl:

Hope Clark and company get there in time to save Lois and Martha?

autumngold
24th June 2006, 02:22
Excellent update!! I'm so glad that Lana is gone, hopefully she won't come back!! Lex and Chloe are so good together, thank goodness he is there to help her through the pain!! Post more please!!

Gaia
25th June 2006, 16:51
You are getting far toooooooo good with this I have to say:D But please don't stop. We need updates like these:)

Kit Merlot
25th June 2006, 22:14
Yeah. you continued this most excellent story:D

You've really got Lana's self-absorption down, and I love that you finally have Clark realizing what a heartless bitch Lana truly is.

Wonderful work!

~*~Tasha~*~
14th July 2006, 04:34
Hello everyone ... thank you to those of you that are still hanging with this story. I apologize that Ch. 3 took so long to get out, but it is over 6700 words long ... So you have a nice meaty and full chapter. It is basically more than the size of two of my regular chapters.

Kimmie: Oh, how I wish we could get rid of Lana so easily. LOL. I'd sure as heck not turn down a chance to write for the show ... or even just to have ideas accepted. We'd get a lot different show, I'll tell you that.

Westwingwolf: Perhaps I'll write a Reckoning redo that has Lana get killed anyways. Although Jonathan can be a self-righteous jerk often enough, I still prefer him over Lana.

Personal thanks for your reviews to: Kimmie, hfce, westwingwolf, Skye, autumngold, Gaia, and Kit Merlot

~*~Tasha~*~
14th July 2006, 04:41
Sacrifices For Love - (3) A Return To Order
By ~*~Tasha~*~

Chapter Summary: (Rated: T) *PG-13* Chapter 3 starts with the arrival of Clark Kent, Lionel Luthor, Chloe Sullivan, and Lex Luthor back in Smallville. This chapter follows through to the Kawatche caves and the restoration of technology, or at least the removal of the thing destroying it.

Author's Note: Thank you to Peggy and Esther for their continued support and input on the stories while they are being written. If it wasn't for Esther, I wouldn't even have found the wonderful world of Chlex. {hugs to them both} Hopefully I will be able to get working more on the web site that the three of us will be sharing (www.inwalkedlove.com) soon.

Author’s Note #2: Paraphrased Lex’s comments to Clark from the Season 1 episode “Hug” from the end of the episode. I checked the spelling of the caves, and according to the transcripts that I’ve read … Kawatche is the right spelling.

(Luthor Mansion, Smallville)

The chaos of a larger city like Metropolis hadn't affected Smallville as much. The power was out, but aside from a few meteor freaks, who came out of hiding, the town was relatively safe.

Clark Kent and Lex Luthor slowed down their speed in the driveway of the mansion. By mutual agreement, Lex carried Chloe in his arms, and Clark carried Lionel over his shoulder. Both passengers removed the hoods and scarves that they put on to protect them from the wind currents while moving so fast.

"I'm surprised that the castle looks unscathed." Lex lowered Chloe Sullivan to the ground.

"It's fairly peaceful, here." The emotions of several servants flittered across the grounds to Chloe. They were a bit afraid, but they weren't panicking. "Some of your staff is very loyal."

Lionel Luthor breathed a sigh of relief when his feet touched the ground, and he nodded. He was happy to be walking under his own power again. The supersonic trek from Metropolis to Smallville was exhilarating, but he felt much safer walking around on with own two legs. He didn't like not being in control. Although he was doing better about that, he was still unnerved by a complete loss of control. "Some of them have been with the family for decades."

"They are probably safer out here near the mansion anyways," Clark added his two cents worth opinion.

"We should get inside." Lex walked slowly behind Chloe. An encouraging hand kept in contact with her lower back. He wanted to assure her with direct contact to his emotions to help anchor her.

Chloe nodded her head in agreement. "Hopefully Mr. Luthor and I can make some headway with the computer system."

"Please ... call me Lionel." Lionel smiled at Chloe. "No need to be so formal amongst family."

Chloe smirked. "And since when did I become family?"

Lex groaned. 'Just great, dad,' He thought to himself.

Lionel's eyes twinkled in mischief. "I have a feeling you will be." He walked into the mansion. "Besides, we've made our own little family now because of all this craziness."

Chloe laughed. She followed behind Lionel. "I don't know if I want to be added to the family, Lionel. His wives aren't exactly poster children for sanity." She pointed behind her to Lex. Being married to Lex was the only way she’d be a part of the family in her eyes.

"Very funny, Chloe." Lex rolled his eyes. "Maybe you'll be different. You're not a brunette." He followed behind Chloe.

"That's a step in the right direction, Son."

Clark kicked at any loose stones in the driveway while he walked. Martha Kent and Lois Lane were traveling together, and he was worried about his mother. If Chloe was right, and Lois was in danger, then his mother was too. He entered the mansion behind everyone else.

Shortly after the connection fell into place between Chloe and Lois while they were in Metropolis, it snapped in two. It took several minutes to get Chloe calmed down again. She was certain that it meant Lois was dead. Lex told Chloe that it could also mean that Lois went unconscious. After 15 minutes of solid concentration, Chloe was able to feel the lingering presence of her cousin. Chloe couldn't get anything else from Lois, but the lingering familial link at least helped to calm Chloe's fears.

Lionel walked into Lex's office at the mansion. He was worried about Martha's safety. He tried to hide his concern, but he'd caught Lex watching him a few times already. Lionel could honestly admit to himself that his reasons for concern were selfish and self-motivated, but they didn't make his concerns any less valid. Although he would respect Martha's wishes, it should have been no secret to her that he found her both attractive and refreshingly intelligent. If she could ever forgive him for being a catalyst to Jonathan Kent's heart attack, he would be happy for the chance to prove his devotion to her.

Chloe walked up to Lex's desk. She knew the layout of the office by heart. So, she had no problems finding her way in the dark. Lex's computer gave off an eerie green glow from the screen. "Do you have any more charged batteries for your laptop, Lex?"

"I should." Lex, using his enhanced vision, walked over to the desk. He opened one of the side drawers. "I always keep four extras charged in case I have to go on a long trip."

"Wow, that's thrifty," Chloe teased. "I only keep two back ups."

"I can't afford to lose a multi-million dollar deal because my battery died mid-flight," Lex explained.

"Makes sense, but now I feel justified against the people who called me crazy for having that many back ups." Chloe directed her gaze towards Clark who had found a few candles to light with his heat vision.

"No, it just means you are both too paranoid for your own good," Clark defended previous statements that he'd made to Chloe in high school. "Do you have any oil lamps?"

A flickering flame light seemed to walk closer to the group in the office. Clark stood near the door. He grabbed the lamp from whomever the intruder was when the door opened.

"Wait, Clark!" Lex's voice called out.

"Master Lex?" A slight wavering voice carried through the darkness.

"Hello Enrique." Lex walked over to his butler. "How has everything been here?"

Enrique straightened his posture. "Some of the staff went into town to assist with the rescue and recovery efforts. They also took some of the perishable food into town to be used in a town wide dinner," He reported. "The rest are with their families here, Sir."

"Excellent." Lex smiled. "Good work. We'll be fine here. Go relax, Enrique." He patted the man on the back with genuine praise and sincerity. "You've earned it."

"Thank you, Sir. I placed several oil lamps around the mansion, should you need them Sir." Enrique turned on his heel and exited the room.

"Remind me to give him a raise." Lex pointed at the closing door. "That man always seems to anticipate what is best to do."

"I've always appreciated that talent in him," Lionel echoed his son's sentiments. "Although his charitable tendencies annoyed me at the time." He laughed. "He might have been my only redeemable aspect for far too long."

"The most important thing about the past is to make sure not to repeat the same mistakes." Lex clapped a comforting hand on Lionel's shoulder. "We all have a lot to make up for."

"Speak for yourself, Luthor. Some of us aren't as jaded as others," Chloe quipped. Her fingernails clicked against the keypad. She sighed. "I've dreamed of having access to this computer for years, and I can't even take full advantage of the opportunity. Life is so unfair." She pouted.

"What was that you said about not having anything to make up for?" Lex walked across the room and stood beside Chloe. "That reporter's curiosity has gotten you into trouble before."

"Very funny, Lex." Chloe stuck her tongue out at Lex. "You're just mad that I figured out Clark's secret and you didn't."

Lex leaned his elbow against the top of the desk chair. "What isn't fair is how many times I actually had the secret figured out, only to have the memories erased from the forefront of my mind."

Lionel's interest in the conversation between Lex and Chloe perked up. "Your memories returned?" He questioned.

"Yes." Lex nodded his head in the affirmative. "Whatever Fine did to me on that spaceship repaired the pathways you fried." He sighed. "It also opened my mind to all of my alter-ego's memories when I was split into two beings."

"Amazing." Lionel was in awe over the advances in biology the Kryptonians had. "It really is a shame that all of the Kryptonian information was lost with their planet's destruction."

Lex and Clark stared at Lionel with confused expressions. Clark spoke up before Lex could, "Why?"

"Do you realize the technical and medical advances that would be possible with even one tenth of their knowledge?" Lionel's voice held no greed or dishonorable undertones in it. He was merely in awe and wonderment.

"It would also be very dangerous, Dad," Lex spoke with the knowledge of how easy the advances could be manipulated in a detrimental way. "If Fine had wanted to, he could have made an army of Kryptonian like beings."

When his words were met with stunned stares from Clark and Lionel, Lex continued to explain what he meant. "I created a serum that would essentially cure all disease and ailments based on the virus cells Fine provided. I had a whole lab full of the serum." Lex sighed. "Something tells me that whatever Fine added to the serum before he injected it into me, wasn't the only vial he had."

"Oh my God, Lex." Chloe's fingers stilled, and her heart pounded. "If the wrong people were given the super abilities, it would be chaos."

Lex gulped and frowned. "Yeah, like we have now because I was too stupid to care who else got hurt besides Clark."

"Do you really hate me that much, Lex?" Clark asked. "I know we lost all faith and trust in each other, but I didn't realize you hated me that much."

"I meant what I said in your barn before Zod took up residence in my body." Lex inhaled slowly. "I was jealous of all you had, and I was hurt that you continually lied to me."

"There were too many factors against you to trust you with my secret, Lex." Clark frowned. "For a while it was because of my father's insistence. Then, when I saw that room of yours, I doubted I could ever trust you again."

"Did you ever stop to think that the room wouldn't have existed if you were straight with me?" Lex stepped away from the desk to get closer to Clark. "The more honest and up front I was with you and your parents, the more you pushed me away. I'm no saint, but I could tell you were lying to me. I could only handle so much before my drive to find the truth took over. Why would I share what I found when I knew you were lying to my face?"

"You left too many questions with flimsy or unbelievable answers," Lionel chimed in his thoughts. "Even those closest to you, like Chloe, were unable to believe your excuses after a while."

"Oh, you so better not bring me into this discussion." Chloe looked up from Lex's laptop. The flickering flame of a nearby oil lamp danced across her face. "Clark already knows how ticked off I was about the whole thing."

The laptop started to beep. Chloe looked back down at it. "Lionel, would you come here please? Kara's memories left me some knowledge of the symbols, but I have a few I can't figure out."

Lionel pointed at one of the repeated symbols that were not interpreted. "The closest translation I can come up with is "dark conduit infection"."

Chloe pondered what part or parts of the computer's systems might correlate to the interpretation. "What about those symbols?" She pointed to a repeating cluster of 5 interlocking symbols.

"Oh dear." Lionel's mouth dropped open in shock.

"I don't think I like the sound of that." Lex and Clark both walked behind the desk to look at the screen.

Lionel pointed to the first three symbols. "Human extinction from within." He moved his finger to the last two symbols. "Chaos reigns."

(2 hours later at the Luthor Mansion)

Chloe growled in frustration. She slapped her hands down on either side of Lex's laptop. The impact with the desk was hard, and the sound echoed through the room. Frustrated did not even begin to explain the emotions she was feeling at the moment. The last 2 hours tried all of her patience, and the brick wall that continued to meet her on Lex's computer fried her last nerve.

Lex sensed Chloe's anger build. They'd discovered that their previous contact during her empathic episodes had heightened their connection to each other's emotions. Their minds had extended tendrils out to each other, and they'd formed a stronger bond because of it. He was able to tell when Chloe was feeling strong emotions, as he was empathic to her as well. His senses only worked with Chloe though.

"This is impossible," Chloe yelled in frustration. "I say we find Fine and torture him until he tells us what he did."

Lionel glanced sideways at Chloe. "Such vehemence my dear Miss Sullivan." He lowered the paper translation he'd been reading. "What secret ambitions have you been sheltering as a sadist?" He teased.

"Dad," Lex cautioned, "Now might not ..." He stopped mid sentence. Chloe had a strange look on her face. "What is it, Chloe?"

Chloe blinked out of her dazed state. "I can't believe I didn't think of it before." She stood up. "Your computer could never house the mass amounts of data the virus needs."

"I saw Fine do something to Lex's computer before everything went haywire. He placed his hand on the keyboard and merged with it somehow. His hand went from solid to not and then back again," Clark announced.

"I know, but there is no way that Lex's laptop could generate the massive connections needed and the power to maintain it." Chloe paced behind the desk. Her thoughts shifted between various scenarios and plausibility's.

"When I went to the fortress before that, Jor-El said something about Fine being a part of the ship ... a brain interactive construct," Clark added.

"I love watching her when she is thinking through a problem," Lex said in a voice laced with amusement.

"Why is that, Son?"

"Look at her." Lex grinned with delight. "She radiates intelligence like a visible glow around her. You can practically see the synapses firing." He paused his praises to stare at Chloe some more. "She's beautiful, inside and out."

Lionel and Clark shared a look of knowing between themselves. They wondered if Lex realized that he was waxing poetic about Chloe. Both of them were able to see Lex's feelings for Chloe plainly on his face.

It wasn't a normal state for Lex Luthor to be in, but it was the same openness on his face that convinced Lionel and Clark of Lex's true emotions. Lex wasn't closing himself off from everyone around him. He allowed them to see what he would normally consider a vulnerability, his love for someone other than himself.

Chloe glanced between the three men, as if she just realized that they were talking about her. "What?"

"Nothing, my dear." Lex grinned. "Just admiring a beautiful woman."

Chloe looked around behind her and around the room. "Who?"

Clark laughed and Lionel smothered a chuckle.

Lex laughed until he was close enough to draw Chloe into his arms. He leaned towards her. He wanted to kiss her so badly. He needed to erase all the memories of holding a brunette in his arms to get revenge against Clark. He'd much rather be with this feisty blond instead of Lana Lang. The longer he spent with Chloe, the more memories resurfaced from a scary but tender summer that he'd shoved to the back of his mind after his father's trial.

Chloe flattened her palm against Lex's chest and gently pushed him back. "No way Mr. "I still have Lana breath"." She shook her head back and forth.

Lex smirked in mirth. He leaned down next to Chloe's ear and inhaled deeply. "I believe you are wearing a particular scent called "Eau de Clark"." He commented on the remnants of Clark Kent's scent from Chloe's embrace at the Daily Planet. He was amazed at how finely tuned his senses were.

"Very funny, Lex." Chloe rolled her eyes. "First, smelling people like that is way creepy." The new abilities Lex possessed would take some getting used to. Had Clark ever sniffed her like that before? "Secondly, a hug and a kiss to his cheek is NOTHING compared to the bump and grind I know you and Lana engaged in."

Lex quickly looked over at Clark to see his reaction. As soon as Chloe realized just how bad her comments sounded, she joined Lex's gaze on Clark.

Clark's shoulders slumped, and he shook his head back and forth. "As much as I hate the thought of Lana with anyone else, it isn't like she cheated on me." He frowned.

"I'm sorry, Clark." Lex was genuinely concerned for Clark's well being. Not only had Clark lost Lana Lang, but his best friend Chloe was also in love with Lex and not Clark.

Clark tried to be mature about the situation, but it still stung to know that his former best friend slept with his ex-girlfriend. "It doesn't matter now. She's gone, and she probably won't be coming back."

"There's always Lois," Chloe said in a teasing manner. "She's still here. Well not really here, but you know what I mean."

Clark laughed. "I hate to disappoint you, Chloe, but that is one relationship that will never happen. Your cousin and I don’t see eye to eye."

"Never say never, Clark." Lionel smirked. "I never thought a Luthor would fall in love with a reporter either. Miss Lane is a very resourceful and intelligent woman. You could do far worse than her company."

"Look at it this way, Clark. You'd have some interesting conversations to look forward to." Lex looked down at the woman he still held in his arms throughout the whole conversation. "There is something to be said for a woman who can verbal judo you to the mats." He kissed the tip of Chloe's nose.

"Thanks, but no thanks." Clark collapsed onto the couch in front of the fireplace. Although it made the room a bit warmer, the light from the fireplace helped to make the mansion look less creepy. "What do you think would be powerful enough to create the right amount of energy," He steered the conversation away from his non-existent love life and back to the topic at hand.

"Something is nagging at the back of my mind that the caves are the key to the power source." Chloe knew Clark wouldn't be happy about having to go back to the caves especially without even Jor-El's presence to comfort or challenge him.

"The caves?" Lionel asked, and he thought about the Kawatche caves for a few moments. "The device in the caves has a great deal of untapped power, I would imagine."

"It manages to transport a person clear across the world." Chloe frantically sketched some symbols down on paper. "This one is Zod's, right?" She held up the notepad.

Lex nodded. "Why did you twist those 2 symbols together?"

"I didn't." Chloe set the pad back down. "The repeating phrases in the computer code do."

"That other symbol looks like the one for Earth combined with the symbol for Krypton." Lionel stared at the combination on the pad on the desk.

"Zod!" Clark exclaimed. "He returned by merging a human body with a Kryptonian mind and essence."

"If he could do that, I'm figuring Fine knew how to merge Kryptonian and human technology." Chloe turned to Lex. "Did you leave any equipment in the caves?"

Lex glanced nervously around the room at his companions. "A couple of months ago, I started a pictograph scanning operation. Computers and lasers automated it all. I didn't want to bring any attention to the caves, and I figured anyone going in and out on a daily basis would get noticed."

"You already had access to my files on the cave, Lex. Why did you want more?"

Clark shared Lionel's confusion. Lex was a meticulous and intuitive man, but he also didn't waste time on redoing other people's work that was as thorough as Lionel's original research was.

"The symbols and images seemed to be changing." Lex walked over to his desk, unlocked a drawer, and pulled out several files of photographs.

"Changing?" Clark asked curiously. When he went to the caves during the last couple days, he had a specific purpose in mind. He hadn't paid attention to the cave walls. He'd headed straight for the device that took him to the ice fortress and left as quickly as possible when he returned.

Lex handed each person a separate file of images. "I noticed it after Fine resurfaced in the Honduras. His explanation that he was working for the government against an extra terrestrial threat drew me back to the caves. After suspecting that several symbols changed, I wanted proof that the symbols were different from the original scans."

"Amazing," Chloe looked at each image with a reporter's eye of curiosity. "Have they continued to change?"

"Yes, but I'm not sure how often." Lex pulled a key out of his pocket. "Come with me." He picked up one of the lit oil lamps, headed out of his office into the hall, and led them all up a flight of stairs to a locked door.

Clark and Lionel shared a shocked glance when they realized just which door Lex led them too. Lex's posture stiffened in front of the door.

"Whoa guys." Chloe grabbed onto the wall for support. She shook her head a moment, closed her eyes and breathed in and out to calm the emotions flying her way. "I have a feeling that I'm missing something seriously important if it has all three of you this edgy." She relaxed a little, and the others did as well as a result of her projection. "Someone want to fill me in?"

"This is the room that used to hold everything I knew about Clark in it. That included all information I had on the caves."

"Ohhhh ... Now I understand. This is THE room." Chloe nodded in understanding. "Gotcha."

Lex unlocked the door. He pushed it open and waited for everyone else to enter first. He inhaled deeply before he stepped in. "Welcome to Kent central." He half laughed.

Clark glared at him. "Not funny Lex."

"Give me a break, Clark." Lex rolled his eyes. "Even when you came into this room last, I had stopped investigating you personally. This room housed everything that I found, but most of it kept falling into my lap. I didn't actively seek it out. I kept it here to keep it locked away from anyone else."

"Boys, I don't think that now is the time to argue past sins. Do you?" Lionel stepped in-between Clark and Lex before an argument could ensue.

"You gave him the key, Dad. Don't play innocent in all of this." Lex poked his father in the chest.

"I'm doing no such thing, Son." Lionel sighed. "What's done is done. The present is more important than the past. Move on."

"Men ... Or rather boys ..." Chloe rolled her eyes. "When you guys are done with the testosterone convention, could we please get back to the matter at hand?" She walked around the room. A couple dozen large monitors were all filled with the same Kryptonian symbols and imagery that Lex's computer had.

Lex walked away from Lionel and Clark first. He pointed to each monitor one by one. “Every hard drive server in the cave handled at least 4 different scanning modules,” He explained. “One module sent light sonar pulses into the rock to judge depth and changes in the walls themselves. Another module was heat and light sensitive to keep track of any temperature or glow changes. The last two modules scanned the images themselves from different angles. Combined, they helped to give a fairly accurate 3D depiction of each symbol, image, or pattern.”

“This is amazing work, Lex.” Lionel was impressed. His research was fairly thorough, but he had been more focused on getting through the “key” area. He hadn’t paid as much attention to the images themselves later on. Lex’s quest for answers impressed the elder Luthor.

“All of the servers were on a network that connected them from the caves to these computers here?” Chloe asked.

“Yes.”

“Were you able to access them via your laptop?”

“I wasn’t foolish enough to keep them on the same network, Chloe.” Lex frowned. “But, if I wanted to I could open a counter connection to them.”

“That’s how he did it then.” Chloe smiled, content that she’d figured out at least part of the mystery.

“Fine used Lex’s computer to open a link to these computers, which then opened a link to the cave’s computers?” Clark questioned. Chloe was the one with all the technological information, but he wasn’t entirely stupid in that area.

“Yes, if he sent an energy burst from the cave’s computers through to the device in the caves.” Chloe shrugged. She didn’t have all the answers, but she felt her idea was a sound one. “With all the wireless networks these days, I’m sure he was able to set up some sort of network between the cave’s computers and the Kryptonian device.”

“I think we should head to the caves then. It seems all our answers are there,” Clark suggested.

“The easy thing to do would be to destroy the computers, but I have a feeling that wouldn’t help us get the rest of the country back on track,” Lionel spoke his thoughts out loud.

“We’re probably going to need them for their link to other networks at the very least.” Lex frowned.

“Nothing is ever easy or normal, is it?” Chloe sighed.

“This is Smallville, Chloe. You should know by now that isn’t possible.” Clark laughed. “Grab some coats this time,” He instructed. “It’s time to travel fast. We don’t have any time to lose.”

The four of them walked out of the “Kent Room” to get ready for the trip to the Kawatche caves.

(Kawatche Caves, Outside of Smallville)

Clark, Lex, Lionel and Chloe scanned the cave walls with their eyes. Chloe was the first to notice a difference in one of the drawings. "Look at this guys." She pointed to the pictograph that used to show Numan and his nemesis Segue.

"Well I'll be damned," Lionel muttered.

"The jury is still out on that one Dad," Lex teased. He stepped closer to his father and looked at the wall.

"They're hugging now, but the wall looks darker around them?" Clark spoke up. He remembered how his thoughts went back and forth for a couple years over who his real enemy would be. To see the two images embracing in a brotherly gesture shocked him.

"Maybe we really did change things." Lex turned to Lionel. "I told you we could make our own destinies."

"That you did, Son." Lionel caressed his fingertips over the rock walls. "This would be proof of that."

“I told you our friendship was going to be the stuff of legend, Clark.” Lex smiled at Clark pleased. “We just had a few bumps in the road getting there.”

"The images could easily change back," The pessimist in Clark answered. He wanted to believe that their future was on the right track, but a certain amount of doubt lingered in his mind.

"Not as easily as you think," Chloe grinned. "You two were friends when you first found these, and it still showed you both as being enemies. This is a significant change."

"Though not an entirely unexpected one," A voice from the shadows broke into the conversation. "You are very persistent, Mr. Kent." Milton Fine emerged from the shadows to face them in his physical form. "At least now you are on the right side, ours."

Clark's gaze darkened, and he advanced on Fine. No matter how many versions of himself Fine created, Clark was determined that one version would tell him where his mother was and fix whatever he did to the computers.

Fine anticipated the move and dodged out of the way before Clark was able to hit him. Fine sped to the left in an attempt to reach Chloe, but his path was blocked by Lex. "Interesting." He smirked and clucked his tongue along the roof of his mouth.

“Easy, Clark. Let’s hear what he has to say.” Lex held up a hand towards Clark. He wondered why Fine was in the caves, and he hoped they could manipulate the being into telling them what they needed to know.

Chloe's heart raced. Whatever type of being Milton Fine was, she felt the malevolence that poured from him. His purposes were dark. Whether it was because of his programming or how he was created, it didn't matter to her. She felt an evil presence within the being before her.

"Why do you protect this one, Zod?" Fine questioned with his head tilted slightly to the side.

Clark, who had been about to tackle Fine again, stopped. He looked up at Lex, and they shared a brief gaze. Milton Fine assumed that Zod was still inside of Lex. They could use this to their advantage.

Lex faced off with Fine. "She is mine." He made sure to keep his body between Fine and Chloe, and he glared at the being in front of him. "Kara made her presence known in this one. Why did you not tell me about the possibility?"

Lex's voice sent chills down Chloe's spine. She knew he was just pretending. She'd picked up on the look Clark gave Lex, but it still chilled her to hear Lex speak like that.

"But Zod, I made the dark one ready to accept Ursa for you." Fine's brow furrowed. “I assumed she would be your first choice.” Had he miscalculated whom his master would want at his side?

Lex's mind quickly went through the memories that he had after Zod's presence was merged with his own. "Why would I want something so defiled and used," He turned back to Chloe, extended his hand out to her, and drew her closer to him as he talked. When she was close enough, he cupped her cheek and continued, "When I could have the purity in this one to manipulate and corrupt to my every desire."

Fine watched every move that Lex made. His faith in his master started to waiver until Lex's grip tightened on Chloe's face, yanked her to his lips and punished her lips with a bruising kiss. Fine then laughed hard. "As long as you are content, Zod." It didn't matter to him who his master chose.

Lex pushed Chloe away from him into Lionel's arms. He hoped that Chloe would understand why he had to do what he was doing. He hoped she would forgive him for the harshness of his touch. He spun around to face Fine again. "I think it is time to restore the technology of this world. They are already weakened, and I will need something left to rule."

"If you give them back their communication, they can use it against you," Fine reasoned.

Lex laughed darkly. "They are a pitiful and insignificant race. I have nothing to fear from them."

"Although they are inferior, you will find them to be quite persistent."

"Are you questioning my judgment?" Lex glared at Fine. He gripped Fine’s shirt near the collar.

"Of course not, Zod." Fine gulped. He had many duplicates of himself, but Zod had the means to destroy his ship. If that happened, Fine knew his existence would end. He was a sentient life form, and all sentient life forms had a desire to exist. "I am merely offering a suggestion based on my observations of this planet in your absence."

"Good. I would hate to think that you have forgotten your place." Lex let go of the material in his fingertips. "Besides, the emotions of these beings are starting to affect Kara. Her vessel has inherited Kara’s gift of empathy and projection that I cherished in her before. I do not wish her brain damaged because these creatures can not control their urges."

Chloe cowered in Lionel's arms. She buried her face in his chest. Although her mind knew that Lex was trying to trick Fine, her heart broke a little over his brutality.

Lionel rocked Chloe in his arms. He soothed her with tender words of comfort and hope. He never had a daughter, but a part of him wished that Chloe would accept that role in his life. Her fire and tenacity drew him to her when he partnered with her for information on Clark Kent. Of course he assumed her naiveté would bend her to his will in the end, but she'd surprised him again and again with her strength. He may have hated it at the time, but he admired her even more for it now.

Fine looked around the room from Chloe to Lionel to Lex. Clark had stayed behind Fine against the other wall. "What is your vessel's father doing here?"

"He is the Oracle." Clark stepped into the circle of the group again for the first time since Fine arrived.

"I realize that, but he is dangerous to us." Fine directed his comments at Lex.

"He will be useful if Jor-El attempts to interfere again," Lex tried to belay Fine's worries. "Although I doubt that Jor-El will interfere now that Kal-El has seen the reason to joining forces with us. Kal-El's attachment to these beings has given us the access to his weakness. He will continue to serve me to save those he cares about the most from destruction."

Fine looked at Clark. He saw the strain that the Kryptonian was under. He delighted in Kal-El's pain. Fine figured that Zod had succeeded in swaying Clark when Fine had not accomplished the task.

Fine believed the strain Clark was under was because he had to sacrifice other human lives to save those he cared about. He didn't realize that the strain was caused by keeping himself from killing Fine before his mother was safe. Clark ground his teeth together to keep from saying something that would tip off Fine.

"Are you waiting for a personal invitation?" Lex glared at Fine. "Return the systems to order. The more she suffers will only cause my anger at you to increase."

"Oh my God!" Chloe fell out of Lionel's arms and hit the ground. "Lois!" She screamed out, clutched her head with her hands and convulsed.

"NOW!" Lex screamed at Fine. He ran over to Chloe. He knelt down next to her and tried to calm her. "Or I will destroy the ship and every trace of you with it." In his anger, the words flowed from Lex's mouth from the inherent knowledge he received from Zod's memories.

Fine ran through the passages to the dais in the open area of the cavern. He passed his hand over a couple symbols that lit up afterwards. He pressed his hand onto the middle of the device, and his body flickered in and out while he interfaced with it.

Clark Kent followed Fine, and after a yell from Lex, Lionel also followed. The lights that were set up in the caves flickered on and off before they settled themselves on.

Lionel motioned for Clark to hold his hand. He wasn't sure if this was going to work, but he had to try something. He only hoped that his time as the Oracle still left an imprint on his mind and body. He had been the conduit between both worlds, and he figured this was his way to help. With Clark's hand firmly in his as a Kryptonian link, Lionel reached out to the phasing Fine's neck with a tight grip.

Fine screamed out in agony. "NO!" He screamed out into the cavern. "You tricked me!"

Lionel laughed in glee, his eyes a full cloudy white. "We have no more need of your services. We can do this on our own." He succumbed to the devilish delight that he once lived off of on the destruction of others. The darkness of Fine’s being started seeping into Lionel’s hand.

Clark noticed that Lionel started to fade as well. He yanked Lionel back. When Lionel's hand left Fine's neck, the being disappeared. He held the gasping elder Luthor in his arms.

“Thank you, Clark.” Lionel shook his head in an attempt to clear it. His skin felt like it was crawling from the dark influences that tried to invade him. “Let’s hope I don’t have to do that again.”

“Clark!” Lex yelled from their original place.

Clark and Lionel ran back to the main room. They huddled around Chloe and Lex. “What is it?”

“Cold … So cold …” Chloe shivered. She fought to remain conscious. Her mind and body pulled her into the link that Lois unknowingly reopened when she became conscious again. “Bright … All white …”

“Where are they, Chloe?” Clark realized that Chloe must have been feeling everything that Lois was.

“Ice … snow … cold …” Chloe repeated. She passed out a few moments later.

“Chloe?!?” Lex cradled the woman he loved in his arms. “Sweetheart … come on, wake back up. Please.”

“I think I know where he took them.” Clark stood up. “Fine knows where the ice fortress is that Jor-El made for me. He probably has them there, but they won’t survive long in that cold.”

Lex cradled Chloe in his arms as he stood up. He gingerly lowered Chloe into his father’s arms. The lights were all on in the cave, and the computers were recycling into their start up modes. Whatever Fine had infiltrated into the systems before was gone. “Take care of her.” He kissed the top of Chloe’s forehead.

Lionel looked at his son with moisture in his eyes that he was unsure how it got there. “Where are you going?”

“We’re going to get Mrs. Kent and Lois Lane back,” Lex spoke with determination. “Chloe said that you have something that will transport us there?” He asked Clark.

“Yes.” Clark eyed Lex warily. Did he trust Lex not to turn on him if they were faced with another of Fine’s duplicates? Could he trust Lex not to take advantage of the key’s knowledge and the fortress’ location? He nodded to himself. Yes, he trusted Lex now. They were more like brothers because of their gifts than they were before as friends. “Let’s go.”

Clark and Lex both headed back to the dais. In an instant both of them disappeared from the caves, leaving Lionel Luthor and Chloe Sullivan to fend for themselves until their return.

“Godspeed,” Lionel muttered softly and held Chloe more tightly.

(To Be Continued)

trixie mcbimbo
14th July 2006, 05:04
Dude. Sweet. This is awesome. Totally awesome. I can't wait for the rest!

westwingwolf
14th July 2006, 05:28
Ok I love Lionel for his comment about Chloe becoming part of the family, and Lex for being kinda embarrassed about it. I love that Chloe told the guys off when they were whining about who did who wrong. And I love how Lex thinks Chloe's beautiful when she's figuring out something. But did you make a reference to Lexana sex somewhere in there? Please tell me you did not write this treachery, because if you had I must have blocked it out or something. And God forbid if we ever saw it I would need pour bleach through my ears to wipe my brain of the memory.

And I liked your explanation for how Lex's computer was able to do all that damage, b/c SV didn't give us any kind of explanation. I get that sometimes the viewer has to use their own imagination, but SV really abuses that idea. I also liked that you brought it back to the caves and used the idea that the pictures can change. I like the idea that Lex and Clark's destinys weren't literately and figuratively set in stone.

I love any moment where Lex is sweet to Chloe, so let's see Lex use more terms of endearment. Baby has always been a particular favorite of mine.

I really like this fic, I can see this foursome becoming a powerful superhero team. And as always Lana can still die. Does she still have Ursa within her or did that get knocked out? Oh and I love when Lex mocked her while he was pretending to be Zod, I always love a good Lana bashing.

Esther25jm
14th July 2006, 05:56
Sweetie, this was fantabulous!!!!!! You already know my fave part, but I've got to tell you....the whole thing was just awesome!!! Dude, I had tears in my eyes at the end....the M-freaking-B got me crying!! Ahh, I love your Lionel. Soo great and kudos for bringing back Prof. Hunky. I know, he's evil and a computer, but he's also James Marsters. <eg> Can't wait for the next one!!!! *hugs* And thank you soo much for that wonderful A/N!! *sniffles* It is my pleasure to have gotten you into loving Chlex. Loves ya, hon!!!

autumngold
14th July 2006, 06:07
Wonderful chapter!! I love how Lex protected Chloe, even when he was pretending to be Zod!! Lionel is also great in this fanfic!! He's thoughts wishing Chloe to be his daughter were perfect!! Can't wait for more!!

PMD
14th July 2006, 14:50
Tasha, you know how much I love this story and why---but you have gone beyond my wildest expectations and then some. Sweetie, being proud of your accomplishments here only scratches the surface. Like so many other's have said, I would still be watching Smallville, if you had your hand in the mix As it is, the only interest I have in the show anymore is fanfic (reading and writing). Well, done, hon, well done. :)

hfce
14th July 2006, 15:49
Oh my that was so good. If only that happened on shiatville. I would still be watching it. More please..

Gaia
15th July 2006, 15:13
You are a fantastic writer you know:D Just keep up the good work and we'll be happy:D:D

Kit Merlot
15th July 2006, 21:06
Tasha, I really like that you're having Lex and Clark reestablishing their friendship--that is one of the best parts of the story.

I'm also enjoying your version of Lionel because he sees that Chloe and Lex belong together--Good man:D

gravelgerdie
9th August 2006, 23:50
This is a great story....

Suzanne

Kekamarie
6th September 2006, 15:24
You are a great writer I love this story update soon please

~*~Tasha~*~
28th September 2006, 20:46
Hello everyone ... No, I didn't drop off the face of the earth completely. I am working frantically to get the last chapter done for this story before the premiere tonight. 5 more hours to go to get it done. I'm pretty close to having it done, but I wanted to let you guys know that I will be posting Ch. 4 and Ch. 5 of this fic today (should be before the premiere Eastern time). Ch. 5 will be the end of this story. It's ending a little different than I originally thought, but I explained it in the author's notes that you'll see.

I hope you will check back to get the last two chapters. I don't have any plans for a sequel on this one at this time.

~*~Tasha~*~

~*~Tasha~*~
28th September 2006, 22:40
Sacrifices For Love - (4) The Rescue
By ~*~Tasha~*~

Chapter Summary: (Rated: T) *PG-13* Lex and Clark have arrived at the Ice Fortress. Will they succeed in saving Martha Kent and Lois Lane from a hypothermic death before Fine can interfere? How will they deal with another Fine clone if he appears? Will we ever see the end of his interference?

Author's Note: A little bit of a SW quote as an homage to it. It fit well with the scene. So, I used it. Thank you to Peggy and Esther for their unfailing support and encouragement. They both inspire me with words and images that they share through emails, IM’s, art, and stories.

Author’s Note: I really wanted to finish this fiction before the Season 6 premiere. Between vacations, lay offs, convention trips, etc … it didn’t get done when I wanted it too. I hope that you will all still read it to its conclusion. Thank you to everyone who has reviewed.

(Ice Fortress, Arctic/Yukon)

Lex followed Clark from the entrance of the ice fortress. He was amazed by the beauty of the crystalline structure. He allowed his hand to drag across the walls as he walked. The snow and ice around him clued him in to the fact that he should be feeling cold. Even his breath showed in the air, but he felt nothing. ‘Something else to figure out,’ he thought to himself. He was getting frustrated with how much he seemed to need to learn about himself before he’d know who and what he was again.

Clark saw the wonderment in his prodigal friend’s eyes, and he wanted to ask Lex what was on his mind. They were trying to be silent though. Fine was not technically flesh and blood, but he exhibited many Kryptonian abilities. Clark wanted to avoid a confrontation with Fine for as long as possible. He had no doubts that Fine was around, but the quieter they were now, the more easily they could get deeper into the fortress before being noticed.

If they hadn’t been in the fortress to rescue Martha Kent and Lois Lane, Lex would have enjoyed exploring the structure. The reflections off the walls seemed to cause a twinkling wave of light across and into the depths of the icy surfaces. The lights danced into the depths of the structure as well as across them. It created a beautiful 3D effect that surrounded them on all sides. He could easily spend months in here just enjoying the way light refracted off of the different designs, levels and arches.

Clark held up his hand as a stop signal to Lex. He concentrated on the wall in front of him. The solid walls disappeared with his x-ray vision. He located his mother and Lois in the main chamber on the other side of the wall. He motioned for Lex to join him.

Lex walked up alongside Clark. His brow furrowed in confusion when Clark pointed at his eyes and then the wall. Lex glanced at the wall again, but he didn’t see anything different from his first glance. The wall was solid ice. It was so thick that he couldn’t see through it.

Clark bit back a sigh of exasperation. He’d forgotten that not all of his abilities were natural for him to figure out. He’d assumed that Zod’s memories during the short lived possession would have figured out the x-ray vision asset.

Lex assumed he was missing out on something important. He mouthed the word, “What?” to Clark.

Clark put his lips right on Lex’s ear and softly whispered, “Concentrate on the wall. Focus on the other side.”

Lex nodded and did as he was instructed. At first he failed. His gaze at the wall only produced the wall staring back at him. He tried again to narrow his gaze at a particular spot on the wall. He tried to picture the wall gone, and he was rewarded with a more transparent view. Happy with some progress, he concentrated harder, and the view on the other side of the wall sharpened. ‘Wow,’ He thought to himself, ‘That is amazing.’

Clark motioned for Lex to head right along the inner wall. Clark followed around the wall to the left. He emerged into the main area without making a sound. A quick glance around the cavern assured Clark of Fine’s temporary absence. He slid across the icy ground to reach his mother’s side.

Martha Kent and Lois Lane were both lightly wrapped in fur blankets. The color of their faces indicated that the blankets were only recently given to them. Martha seemed to have an extra blanket around her. Whatever Fine’s purpose for kidnapping the two women, he seemed to want them alive for a little longer.

“I didn’t expect to see you so soon, Kal-El,” Milton Fine’s voice reverberated off the crystalline walls. “I underestimated your resourcefulness.” Fine revealed his presence deeper in the cavern, but he quickly moved close enough for Clark to see him.

“You’ve underestimated a lot about me and my friends,” Clark answered.

Lex remained frozen in place behind the wall. He’d stopped his advance when he heard Fine’s voice. He wanted to keep the edge of surprise on their side.

“Your love for this human leaves you vulnerable.” Fine pointed at Martha Kent. “Your weaknesses are too easy to exploit. Yet, you have caused her more pain than I ever could.” He smirked darkly.

“I’m tired of your games, Fine.” Clark closed the distance slowly between him and his mother. “Your arguments no longer sway me. I know the truth of your lies.”

“I’ve never lied to you completely.” Fine grinned. “Everything I told you was laced with truths that you refused to accept. You believe what you want to believe and see what you want to see.”

“You’re truly demented if you believe that misguided logic.” Clark stood on the path between his mother and Fine. “You lied to me from the start about what you are. Then, you purposely used my mother in an attempt to get me to destroy this place.”

“I didn’t lie about Jor-El’s intentions. Did I Clark?” Fine circled around the outer edge of the cavernous main room.

“I don’t know what you’re talking about.” Clark’s eyes followed Fine’s movements, but he remained in front of his mother’s unconscious body.

“Jor-El promised to take the life of someone you loved as payment for his benevolence.” Fine tossed the comment out glibly, but he knew the words would strike a chord with Clark. “If you had destroyed this place when I told you to, Jonathan Kent would still be alive. So, what I told you was true, from a certain point of view. You just failed to realize that I might not have meant Martha Kent’s life.”

Clark’s blood boiled. He was furious over Fine’s taunts. What made him madder was the hint of truth in what Fine said. If he hadn’t asked Jor-El about redoing the day because of Lana, his father would still be here. He thought the pain of losing Lana was the worst thing that could happen to him. He’d found out he was gravely mistaken when Jonathan Kent’s life was stolen from the Earth instead of Lana’s.

“How does it feel to know that you can blame no one but yourself for his death and your mother’s pain?” Fine nailed the last tacks into the coffin of Clark’s guilt and twisted them in a little bit more. “All because you would rather believe that Jor-El would not do such a hideous act, even though he’d already proven to you time and again just how little Jonathan Kent’s life meant to him … the fact that he resented Kent’s place in your life.”

Clark rushed Fine. The force he used embedded Fine into the opposite wall. Clark scooped up Martha Kent into his arms.

Fine’s hearty laugh echoed throughout the chamber. The deep timbre reverberated through the crystalline structure. “Have you learned nothing, Clark?” Fine slurred the name like an insult. He pushed his way free of the wall. “You can’t kill me. I will always return.” His eyes twinkled with a devilish glee and pride at being the victor.

“And each time I will send you back to whatever Hell you spawned from.” Clark glared. He shifted the bundle in his arms before he lowered Martha back to the ground.

“I was born from the finest minds and technology on Krypton.” Fine spoke with pride and arrogance in his voice. “No human raised disgrace to Kryptonian purity is going to erase that achievement. You wouldn’t even know where to begin in your infantile mind.”

“How about a human raised vessel who now holds every memory your illustrious leader ever had?” Lex sauntered into the main area with confidence, his hands tucked into his pockets casually. Clark’s spawning statement jogged certain bits of memory from his possession.

“Zod?” Fine asked. His eyes flickered back and forth between Clark and Lex for a moment as if he comprehended some unknown bit of information.

“I think you will find your vessel has been purged of your unwanted master’s presence.” Lex’s sardonic grin leveled on Fine. “Your family of Kryptonian disgraces managed to send Zod back to the Phantom Zone.”

“Impossible. Anyone with that knowledge died long ago.”

While Fine was distracted, Clark moved both women to a safer haven. He tried to remember how far it was to the hospital in the Yukon that he took Chloe to earlier that year. How quickly could he get one or both of the women to the hospital safely and get back? He looked down at Lois and his mother. Who should he take first?

“I think you will find that certain humans have the capacity to channel Kryptonian essences without your interference. Humans and Kryptonians aren’t as different physiologically as you think.” Lex smirked. “That is something you would know about if you had a faster interface between the ship and your counterparts.”

“We are independent of one another to achieve our objectives. I don’t need an interface. It would only create detrimental clutter in my brain.” Fine huffed.

“Apparently you do need it because the last counterpart found out the hard way not to underestimate humans.” Lex taunted the “higher” being. “It seems to be a recurring flaw in your assumptions and thought processes.”

“Perhaps we were unsuccessful in achieving our ultimate goal, but we released Zod once. We can do it again.” Fine stood up straighter and glared at the man across from him. “It appears that we simply misjudged you as our selection of a candidate. We won’t make that mistake again.”

“You won’t be given the chance to make that mistake again, Fine.” Lex advanced slowly on Fine. “You are not without your own weaknesses, and I know each and every one.” His eyes narrowed into a tight glare. “If you don’t remove yourself from this planet, I will remove you from existence … permanently.”

“Why?” Fine looked flabbergasted. “I made you like a god amongst these inferior beings. You had all the power you could ever want.”

“But you took away the one thing that humans cherish above all else … Free will. Humans will give up their very lives instead of losing their ability to make their own choices.”

“You still could have made any choice you wanted, had whoever you wanted. I gave you the power to do anything,” Fine continued to question Lex’s refusal to be one with Zod. The being couldn’t fathom not wanting everything that his Kryptonian counterpart could have given him.

“Zod would have made the choices he wanted, not what I wanted,” Lex said angrily. “I never would have sent Clark to the zone, no matter how many arguments we had. I was upset because he lied to me for years, but I wouldn’t have wanted him gone. Never!” Lex jabbed his index finger into Fine’s chest on the last word with force.

Fine stumbled back about ten feet before he regained his footing. “You and Zod were perfect for each other. You both shared such ambition and immoral perspectives.”

“My conscience reared its ugly head again. I’m afraid that is bad news for you and your plans. I won’t be duped again because my eyes have been opened. I’ve seen where my ambitions can lead, and I don’t want that to happen to earth. This vessel houses only one soul … MINE,” Lex angrily spat the words at Fine.

“You will regret your error in judgment.”

“Much like you told me I’d regret mine?” Clark chirped in from a few feet behind Lex. During the time that Lex had Fine occupied he’d already raced Lois Lane to the hospital in the Yukon and returned. He missed most of the conversation between Lex and Fine, but he’d heard enough at the end to make him proud of Lex.

“Get out of here Fine, or I swear to you that those immoral principles I had will find their way to exact vengeance on my enemy … you.” Lex tossed a look over his shoulder at Clark. “I’m sure that Clark and I can easily destroy your ship and wipe you from the face of existence if you won’t settle for leaving Earth alone.”

“You haven’t seen the last of me, and you never will.” Fine dashed off at supersonic speed out of the cavern. He knew when he was beaten, at least for the moment. He would readjust his plans and return in the future to make them both pay.

“Why did you let him go?” Clark questioned. “He’s just going to come back again.”

“Even if he does, do you really think he can succeed if we are both on the same side?” Lex faced Clark. “He couldn’t succeed before without making sure that the rift between us was even greater and suspicions higher.”

“This is a mistake, Lex.”

“Please trust me on this, Clark. I know how to destroy his ship, but we have to be close enough to do it.” Lex rested his hand on Clark’s shoulder. “Between you, Chloe, and I, we will find his ship if he remains on Earth. I found it before. I know we can again. Then, we can destroy it.”

“He could simply destroy Earth instead of us finding him.”

“He is sentient, Clark. His self-preservation instincts will prevent him from doing that. He …”

A groan from a few feet away interrupted further discussion. “Cold … So … cold.” Martha Kent moaned.

“Mom?” Clark rushed to his mother’s side. He easily scooped her up into his arms and kissed her forehead. “It’s going to be okay, Mom. We’ll get you to a hospital.”

“We?” Martha’s weary and heavy eyes opened slightly to see who else was near. They opened a little bit wider in shock. “Clark, what is he doing here?”

“Helping to save you and Lois, Mom.”

“Lois? Is she safe?”

“She’s already at the hospital in the Yukon which is where we are headed with you shortly.”

Lex sighed with relief. He’d hoped that he’d given Clark enough time to get at least one of the women out of there. He was happy to know that he had succeeded. “Why did you take Lois first? I would have imagined that Mrs. Kent would have been your first priority.”

“Less questions from my mom about us being in the Arctic with them than Lois.” Clark adjusted the load in his arms again to redistribute Martha’s weight to make her more comfortable. “If Lois woke up while we were in here, I can’t even begin to think of how I would explain it.”

“Clark, why Lex? He’s our enemy now.” Martha croaked out the words.

“Not anymore, Mrs. Kent.” Lex tried to assure the women he looked up to as a surrogate mother. His turmoil with Clark and Jonathan put him at odds with Mrs. Kent, and he always missed her unfailing honesty and objectivity. She always looked at events more openly than Mr. Kent.

Martha closed her eyes. So many times she’d stuck her neck out for Lex with Jonathan and Clark. Sometimes she felt he was unjustly accused, but she wasn’t able to sway her husband’s judgment. Other times she feared just how much like his father, Lex was. No matter his intentions, Lex had put her family in danger far too often. After their recent history, how could she ever trust him again? “You lied to us, Lex.”

“And you lied to me for years, Mrs. Kent.” Lex pointed out a simple fact. “My instincts told me that there was something more going on than met the eye, and I was right. Your whole family lying to me only made it harder to keep from looking further into everything.”

“You had no right to investigate Clark. We trusted you.”

“No, Mr. Kent placated me at times and pushed me away whenever he could. Don’t you think I realized what was going on? That I felt the walls building up more and more even when I wasn’t doing anything?”

“You went after Lana, Clark’s girlfriend. You tried to smear my husband’s good name, but you ended up losing in the end. You told Chloe and Clark off insultingly. Which of these things tells me that I should trust who you are anymore?”

“Lana wasn’t dating Clark when she and I were together.” Lex sighed. “It was a callous thing to do, and I apologize for it, but I never tried to take her away from him. I used her to get back at Clark, and I’m not proud of that. I’m not trying to make excuses because really none are completely justified, but I do know that I am not the only one at fault here.”

Clark took in his mother’s weary face and shivering body. “Can this wait for later? Right now, we really need to get to the hospital.” Martha nodded her head against Clark’s chest, and Clark sped off in the direction of the nearest hospital. Martha passed out. So, she failed to notice that Lex arrived at the hospital at the same time as Clark.

Lex followed right on his heels to his side. He didn’t want to follow directly behind him since he wasn’t sure where they were going. He didn’t want to run into the back of Clark while he was holding Mrs. Kent so tenderly. He hoped that he could help her to trust him again.

(To Be Continued)

~*~Tasha~*~
28th September 2006, 23:02
Sacrifices For Love - (5) Reunions
By ~*~Tasha~*~

Chapter Summary: (Rated: T) *PG/PG-13* All of the main characters we love find their way back to each other. Where will they go from here? What is each reunion like? Will we see some Chlexy goodness? Will Martha trust Lex again?

Author's Note: Thank you to everyone who patiently followed this story. Thank you also to Peggy for her help with some dialogue in this story that helped to inspire and get me out of a muse rut. I hope you all enjoy the last chapter of this one. I wanted to get this and Ch. 4 posted before the Smallville Season 6 premiere tonight. I didn’t want any ideas in people’s heads about what happened in canon and what I did with my story. I know the two will be nowhere near each other, but I didn’t want any comparisons or expectations.

Author’s Note #2: I had originally intended to make this a NC-17 story, but the way it wrote out made it seem that such an event would be pushed. I am sure that you will be happy with our Chlex reunion, but I decided that sex between them would be a little too soon in their relationship. I hope that you will still end up enjoying the rest of this fiction without the heavy smutties. If I do write anything on this one in the future, it would probably only be a one shot “epilogue” type fic to show where they are in the future.

(Hospital, Yukon)

“What are we going to tell Lois when she wakes up?” Lex asked Clark who stood near Martha Kent’s hospital bed. “She is going to wonder how she got here.”

“I have no idea.” Clark sighed. “As much as I hate it, I think it would be best if neither of us are here at the hospital when she wakes up.”

Lex squeezed a reassuring grip on Clark’s shoulder. “I know you want to be here with your mom though. We’ll think of something.”

(On The Road Near Metropolis)

“Can’t this car go any faster, Mr. Luthor? I’m sure Lex doesn’t poke along this slow.” Chloe sighed in exasperation. No more “attacks” occurred on her mind in the last few hours. She assumed that Lois was being sedated, or she hadn’t regained consciousness yet. Either way, Lois was out of immediate danger.

“Do I look like my son, Miss Sullivan?” Lionel answered. “And I asked you to call me Lionel now.” He smiled to himself. ‘Until it is appropriate for you to call me something else because of you and Lex,’ He thought.

“You are driving one of his favorites, Lionel.” Chloe grinned. Lex was sure to throw a hissy fit over his father driving the silver Porsche. “I didn’t realize that you even knew how to drive.”

“I was not born with a silver spoon in my mouth, Miss Sullivan. I fact it was quite the opposite.”

“I well remember your dealings with Morgan Edge, even though I’ve tried to forget them.” Chloe’s light hearted teasing smile turned into a painful frown.

“My dear Miss Sullivan, let us not dwell on the past.” They passed a sign that announced the Metropolis city limits 15 miles ahead of them. “I won’t even begin to try and make up for past wrongs. It is impossible to do so.”

“I suppose you’re right.” Chloe gazed out the passenger side window. “The last couple weeks have made me start to forget the man you were.”

“I hope that you can find it within your realm to give me another chance.” Lionel glanced away from the road briefly to take in Chloe’s profile.

Chloe turned her head, and her gaze locked with Lionel’s. “Please don’t give me a reason to doubt your sincerity or motives again, Mr. Luthor. I’m not as naïve as I was during our last partnership.”

“I underestimated you then, but I will not make that error again.” Lionel’s main concentration returned back to the road. “You have a fiery and independent spirit, Miss Sullivan. I believe my son has finally met his match.”

“Who said anything about Lex and I being a couple?” Chloe knew how Lex made her feel, but did he really want her as much as she wanted him?

“Come, come now, Miss Sullivan.” Lionel shook his head lightly and tutted. “I am not blind, and most of the time neither is my son. At the first sign of your pain, he was at your side. The way he spoke your praises to Clark and I, anyone could plainly see he is besotted with you.”

Lex showed Chloe such caring and tenderness when the empathic shock of everyone’s emotions in Metropolis overwhelmed her. He’d almost kissed her at his mansion while they were working to decipher the text. On top of that the look in his eyes at the Kawatche Caves when she collapsed told her that he had to care about some. Was Lionel right? Was she finally close to one of the things that she’d wanted most in life … undying love?

(Hospital, Yukon)

“Mr. Kent?” An older nurse dressed in a set of crisp brightly colored scrubs walked into the room.

“Yes?” Clark turned to face the nurse.

“Miss Lane’s body temperature is back up to normal, and all of her vitals are back on track.” The nurse smiled warmly. Her mind had many questions about the arrival of the two women and two men this far north, but she kept them to herself. She remembered the young man bringing in another woman about a year before with the same symptoms. The second man had picked up the first woman shortly after she arrived. She silently vowed to keep an eye on things while they were all there.

“Thank you so much for letting me know.” Clark’s shoulders slumped lower in relief. “She seemed a bit worse off than my mother.”

The nurse nodded. “The younger woman appeared to have been exposed to the elements for a longer period of time.”

Lex leaned in to whisper to Clark, “Fine probably realized that Mrs. Kent was his trump card. She was the one that he figured he would need if you arrived or caused more problems.”

Clark nodded his head in agreement. Although his mother suffered a mild case of hypothermia, it was nowhere near as bad as Lois’ condition when she was brought in. “Is there anything else we can do?” He directed his question at the nurse.

“Not at this time. Miss Lane needs complete bed rest until she recovers completely.” The nurse pointed her next words and gaze at Lex, “No early rescues from the hospital this time.” She turned on her heel and headed out the door.

“Yikes. I think she remembers us from last year.”

“I’d say that is a good assumption, Lex.”

“Last year?” Martha Kent’s voice broke into the conversation between Lex and Clark. She awakened towards the end of the nurse’s visit because of the talking around her.

“When the meteors hit mom, I was taken to that fortress you were in by Jor-El. Somehow Chloe got sucked in with me.”

“That would have been my fault.” Lex raised his hand shyly. “I drug her to the caves when I saw the door ripped off my vault. I knew that she was lying to me about the elements, but she pushed me into a rock before she disappeared about the same time as the bright light filled the cave. I passed out then, but I can now assume that Chloe got sucked up in whatever transport Jor-El used to get you here.”

“When I realized Chloe was in the fortress with me, I begged Jor-El to let me save her. I brought her to this same hospital.”

“Once I was awake and able to locate her, I flew out to the Yukon to retrieve Chloe from this hospital. The nurses weren’t too pleased about it,” Lex added the final part of the story to Clark’s version.

Martha Kent nodded slowly in understanding. “That still doesn’t explain why Lex is here helping us now.”

“He was the vessel, Mom. Fine changed Lex’s genetic make up to make him …” Clark paused in an attempt to find the right words to explain the situation. “In essence, he made him Kryptonian.”

Martha gasped. “Oh no! Clark! You’re in even more danger from him now than before.”

“And we both know the other’s weaknesses just as easily,” Lex piped in. He saw the surprise on Clark’s face, and he hastened to explain what he meant. “Lana told me about the green rocks affecting the visitors after the meteor shower. I’m assuming that they cause us both problems as well.”

“I’m not sure about you, but I believe they would affect you now too. We never figured out exactly why pieces of my planet would be harmful to me here.” Clark shrugged. “Maybe we can get those scientists of yours working on something good for a change.”

“Not everything I did was detrimental to society. Most of it, while not conducted as ethically as possible, was done in the quest for knowledge and the betterment of all of our lives. I already told you why I made the serum that Fine ended up injecting me with.”

“What caused the change Lex? People don’t just wake up one day and say I don’t feel like being evil anymore.” Martha questioned Lex.

“Chloe is what happened, Mrs. Kent. Chloe is what should have happened a long time ago.”

“Chloe?”

“My quest for the elements and revenge put a wedge between us, and I pushed her farther away every day. If I’d listened to her after she returned from the “dead”, things wouldn’t have gotten so bad. She even tried to warn me away from Lana, and I threw horrible insults back in her face.” Lex wiped his face from forehead to chin with the palm of his hand. “Yet, when Zod was in possession of my body, even he recognized Chloe as someone special to us.”

Clark listened to Lex’s every word with interest. He’d seen Lex when Lana was in the car accident. Lex was scared for Lana’s safety, but that look on his face hadn’t compared to the one he saw when Chloe was screaming in pain from her empathy attack. Lex had looked like he was near to tears himself with worry and caring over Chloe’s welfare.

“Chloe gave me more strength to fight against Zod’s presence. Although Jor-El and my father were ultimately the ones to remove Zod from my body, Chloe played a part in helping me to battle within Zod’s mind while he was attacked physically. It wore him out on two fronts. I know Chloe will be able to remind me when I stray from now on.”

“You can’t rely on someone else to be your conscience, Lex.” Martha’s words held the wisdom of her years in life.

“No, but with the right woman at my side, I will be stronger to defeat my fears and weaknesses.” Lex reached down on one side of the bed and gently picked up Martha’s hand. “I know you aren’t sure about trusting me now, but please trust in Clark’s judgment. He’s seen the worst and the best in me, and he’s willing to give this another shot.”

“What about Lana? Does she know about all these changes?” Martha questioned.

“Lana thinks we are all freaks, Mom.” Clark frowned. “She’s probably halfway to another state by now.”

“What? That sounds absurd. You are special.” Martha gripped Clark’s hand with her free one. “You’ve always been my special blessing Clark.”

“Lana doesn’t feel that way, and maybe it is for the best. How many emotional roller coasters have I gone through over the years because of my longing for her? I think it might be best to close that book, return it to the library, and check out a new one.” Clark said emphatically.

“I’m proud of you, son.” Martha squeezed Clark’s hand. “I know your father would be too.” She looked over at Lex. “I’ll trust in Clark’s judgment for now, but this is the last time Lex. My family has already gone through too much pain this year. I won’t let you hurt any of us again.”

“Thank you, Mrs. Kent. It’s all I can ask for and more than I deserve.” Lex sighed with relief. “And now, I think that I have someone waiting for me in Metropolis. Good luck on that reason why you’re here that you need to tell Lois.”

Clark groaned. “I am still going to hope that she doesn’t wake up for a couple days.”

Lex laughed. With a swoosh of sound, and a fluttering of unattached items in the room, Lex was out the door and on his way back to Metropolis.

(Luthorcorp Building, Metropolis)

Chloe stared up at the monstrosity of a building in front of her. Although several windows were broken out, and debris floated around everywhere, the building was mainly intact. “Nothing can completely destroy Luthorcorp, can it?” She mumbled out loud.

“We take a licking but keep on ticking. My personal motto,” Lionel Luthor teased.

“I’m sure Timex appreciates the endorsement.” Chloe rolled her eyes.

“Why Miss Sullivan, is that sarcasm I hear in your voice?”

“Sarcasm? Towards you?” Chloe slapped her hand over her heart in mock shock. “Never, Lionel. Never.”

Lionel Luthor rarely laughed, but at that moment he was amused beyond stoicism. He laughed heartily. “You are a special woman, Miss Sullivan, a rare breed of rose amongst the dandelions.”

The wind rushed around Chloe and Lionel in a frenzy and then just as quickly it dissipated. “Are you flirting with my girlfriend, Dad?”

“Nothing of the sort, Son. Miss Sullivan and I were simply sharing in a bit of witty repartee before we headed into the building to assess the complete damage and begin operations again.” Lionel knew that his flings with some of Lex’s conquests were a sore point between father and son. Many times he used those women to show Lex that they were only interested in his money and attention and not the women that he should consider seriously for marriage. He’d been surprised when Lex followed through with his marriage to Helen Bryce. He’d tried a few times to leave enough clues for Lex to find to show her unworthiness and unfaithfulness.

“Good,” Lex wrapped his arm around Chloe’s waist and pulled her tightly to him. “Because I’d hate to have to sound the call of battle so soon after we’d called a truce.”

Chloe squirmed against Lex’s side. Lex was definitely possessive about what he considered his. He called her his girlfriend. She hoped he meant it, and she hoped she wasn’t being used to get back at his father somehow. They had to be just taunting each other playfully. Lionel Luthor was not someone she would even consider dating. Nope, there was only one Luthor for her … Lex.

Lex and Lionel stared at each other without blinking. It was reminiscent of their fights over the last 10 years, waiting to see who would flinch first. They were both too stubborn to realize that they weren’t in a competition anymore.

Chloe waved her hand in between Lex and Lionel’s lines of sight. “Not that I don’t appreciate this little display, but shouldn’t we get off the street?”

“Are you having problems with your empathy again?” Lex looked away from his father with concern for Chloe.

“No, nothing but a lot of confusion out there right now.” Chloe smiled at the tenderness in Lex’s eyes. “I think this is a discussion we should continue in private though.”

Lex walked into the Luthorcorp building with his arm around Chloe’s waist still. Lionel followed. The trio waited for the elevator to arrive at their floor. The generators had kick started the more essential systems already, especially with the computer virus out of commission.

When the elevator arrived, Lionel announced that he was going to take the stairs instead.

“Are you sure, Dad?”

“Yes, I am. I need a little time to myself,” Lionel answered.

Lex shrugged and stepped into the elevator with Chloe.

When the doors shut, and they started to ascend, Chloe asked the question that burned in her mind. “Since when did I become your girlfriend, Luthor?” She pulled the stop button on the elevator. She wanted enough time for them to discuss the situation completely before they faced Lionel Luthor again.

Lex stiffened next to Chloe. “Chloe … I … I thought …”

“Easy there, Lex.” Chloe smirked. “I never said that I wasn’t willing to accept the position … job … You know what I mean.” She blushed. “But I don’t remember being asked about it.”

“I’m sorry, Chloe. I assumed that you realized how I felt after everything we’ve gone through recently.” Lex shook his head. “I shouldn’t have assumed anything.”

“It’s all right.” Chloe squeezed her arm around Lex’s waist in a hug. “Don’t make a habit of it though, Luthor, or you are going to be on the butt end of the Sullivan temper.”

“Should I take that as a yes for the position then?” Lex teased.

“Yes, Mr. Luthor. Consider me gainfully employed as Luthor Jr’s new mistress.” Chloe laughed.

“No,” Lex said quickly. “You aren’t a mistress, Chloe.” He cupped Chloe’s cheek with his hand and rubbed his thumb over her chin. “You are a lot more than that to me. I want to do right by you, like I should have 2 years ago.”

Chloe’s eyes misted. The direct contact with Lex allowed her to feel his emotions even more strongly. She knew he meant every word he spoke. She felt the strong emotions that backed up his claims. “Oh Lex, after everything we … I died inside when you turned me away after that summer.”

Lex pressed a light kiss to Chloe’s forehead. “I know, and I can’t begin to say how sorry I am for leaving you.”

“Please don’t ever do that to me again, Lex.” Chloe buried her face in his chest. “I don’t think I could bear it if you left me behind again. If you have even a sliver of doubt about us, please end this now before it begins.”

Lex pulled away from Chloe. He intermingled each of their hands together and placed them against his chest over his heart. “You should be able to feel how sure I am of this, Chloe. I can’t promise to never make a mistake. That’s an impossible promise, but I can spend the rest of my life making sure you are happy.

“I’ll be happy as long as you are honest and here with me, Lex.” Chloe leaned up to kiss Lex.

The moment Chloe’s lips hit his, he sighed in contentment. His hands left her grip and wrapped around her waist while he walked her backwards into the level panel.

Chloe’s lower back hit the stop button, and she set the elevator back in motion. The kiss deepened. She felt euphoric. Not only were her own emotions and hormones in play, but everything Lex was feeling hit her as well. She lightly scratched her fingernails up the back of his neck and head.

Lex groaned loudly. He grabbed Chloe’s butt, a cheek in each hand, and yanked her tightly against his body. His rising hardness pressed against the confines of his pants, and he ground his erection against Chloe’s covered heat. He was getting drunk on the wave of emotions bouncing back and forth between them.

“Oh gosh, Lex,” Chloe moaned, gasping for breath. She lifted her arms up higher on Lex’s shoulders, pressed down, and jumped up. She quickly wrapped her legs around Lex’s waist and resumed her assault on Lex’s lips and scalp.

“Chloe!” Lex growled. No one had really paid much attention to his head before. He figured that they thought that without hair it wasn’t sensitive or enjoyable for him to be touched there. The opposite was true, as he was finding out by Chloe’s attentions to the taunt and hairless skin.

Chloe’s head flopped back while Lex’s lips trailed a path down the side of her neck. Her face was a mask of rising ecstasy, and they still had their clothes on. She knew they were rushing intimacy between them again, but at the moment that didn’t matter. Nothing mattered but the feelings and sensations from her contact with him.

The elevator announced its arrival on the right level with a ding. The groping pair barely noticed the door opening until they heard the sound of a throat clearing loudly.

‘Oh my gosh. Kill me now,’ Chloe thought to herself. She buried her head in Lex’s shoulder. She knew who had to be on the other side of the open door. Her heart pounded in her chest and head.

Lex fought to catch his breath and think about what to say to his father. He wasn’t able to concentrate on both at the same time. His senses were overwhelmed with the feeling of Chloe’s body against his and her feelings radiating through him.

Chloe slowly unlocked her ankles from behind Lex’s back. She blushed hotly, but she fought back the urge to run all the way back to Smallville. She slid back down Lex’s body to stand on her own two wobbling feet.

“Dad, it’s … it’s …” Lex’s mind was a blank slate, except for one thing. All he wanted to do was close the door and ravish Chloe against the wall of the elevator. He tried to shake those thoughts out of his head.

Lionel held up his hand. “Not a problem, Lex. I know how young people in love act. I’m happy for you both.”

“Right, um … I’ll go check the systems in the office.” Lex helped Chloe straighten out her rumpled clothing. He extended his hand out for Chloe to take.

Chloe clasped her hand in Lex’s. She rolled her eyes at Lionel. As she walked away with Lex she called back to Lionel, “Oh, wipe that smirk off your face, Lionel. Gloating is so unbecoming.”

Lionel laughed, turned and headed into the main office behind the new couple. He loved it when he was right.

(THE END)

westwingwolf
29th September 2006, 00:16
Yay! I love the happy ending for Chlex. I'm glad Martha is going to try and accept Lex, it was very understandable of her to be cautious and reasonable to give him another chance. I know Lex won't screw this up. He'd never want to ruin his chances with Chloe. I'd be interested to see how things are working for all of them in the future. (I kinda want to see if Lana suffered a horrible fate after she ran away.) I love Lionel's teasing ways in this fic and I especially love everything he's said/thought about Chloe becoming a member of the Luthor family.

Esther25jm
29th September 2006, 03:19
SQUEE!!!! LOVED IT!!!!!!! Ok, you know I've already given my two cents everywhere else, but I've got to say---I absolutely love the interaction between all the characters (especially Lex/Chloe/Lionel). Ooh, and you already know that I'd love that interlude, most especially a future story. <g> Ooh, and I agree with westingwolf---want to know that Lana suffered horribly, too. *hugs* Splendid story!

PMD
29th September 2006, 05:33
Well, you know how I feel about this piece. :) I loved the interaction between Chloe and Lionel in the car---heehee. And then the interaction between Chloe and Lex in the elevator---with Lionel walking up so they could be alone. And how Martha didn't trust Lex outright but still will give him one more chance, because of Clarks trust in him. And I also find it amusing that Lionel has turned into the interruptus person when it comes to Chloe and Lex. Thanks for a great piece, hon. :)

autumngold
29th September 2006, 05:59
Thank you so much for the excellent ending to your fabulous story!! I love that Chloe and Lex ended up together!! If only Lana would take your suggestion and really leave the state!! ;) I really enjoyed reading this story!! Hope you write more Chlex soon!!!!

hfce
29th September 2006, 15:00
Aww that was a great two chapters. If only the real show was like this. I would still be watching it.

jaab
29th September 2006, 17:16
Great story, though it would have been good if it was longer. But really great. :grin3:

Augustine86
30th September 2006, 07:47
I liked this version of what could have been. I love good Lionel who still is a bit devious. And Clark and Lex patchig things up for a change is also swell. I like it when Lex has friends, and this Clark is way better than the washed-up, self-righteous version of AlMiles.

Thanks a lot for this wonderful fanfic!

aloha
14th October 2006, 12:15
I'll be honest. I dont watch the show. But I do know a good story when I read it. Good job. I am almost convinced to watch Smallville again. You answered a lot of questions that perhaps like every other drama willl not be resolved without a few more seasons. Keep up the good writing.

maryperk
21st October 2006, 04:48
Very nice, Tasha. I didn't get to read the last 4 chappies. Love it.

kirt30
22nd October 2006, 20:04
loved this story so much hope you do another story

kg99
29th October 2006, 05:04
Great story. kg99

SVfan1286
7th October 2007, 19:55
I have to say that I just love this fic...I really liked how you wrote the Clex friendship, of them finally being open with each other, and becoming real friends...I loved Lionel in this, he was good guy, but he still had an edge.
The whole fight scene on top of LuthorCorp was really well written and exciting to read...I loved Chloe/Kara kicking Lana's ass, and than Lex telling her off, and finally leaving...Awesome!!

Awww the ending was so sweet and also hot with Chloe and Lex in the elevator, and then Lionel finding them*giggles*

Amazing story, so much better than the crap on the show!!!

Vampirelover
7th January 2008, 11:25
hahaha this story was great. i love how everyone was friends with each and the chlex was sweet and just great. good job i liked it:grin3:

Kit Merlot
14th May 2008, 03:44
I just realized that I never left any feedback for the last chapter of this lovely story. This was an awesome and romantic ending--I loved Lionel's reaction to catching Chloe and Lex kissing:D

Fabulous work!

Tanschana
15th May 2008, 00:41
Like!
Like it a lot!
Very good story and a very good read! Thank you!

Ami Rose
14th January 2014, 18:02
Amazing! Why could that have happened in the show! Loved it!