PDA

View Full Version : Pieces (PG-13)

Calliope
18th June 2003, 02:06
Rating: PG-13

Disclaimers: I own none of the characters. They are all owned by various rich folks with more pocket change than I will ever have in my checkbook.

Notes: Thanks in bunches to scifichick774 and Not An Addict for Beta-ing and taking the time to read. The fic jumps back and forth through time. I hope it's not too confusing. My first fic, maybe my last. The muse if fickle.

Pieces

Chloe nervously chewed on her bottom lip while sitting in the plush chair. She was waiting to have an audience with one Lex Luthor. One soon-to-be very pissed Lex Luthor.

She had taken a job with LuthorCorp during her sophomore year in college. After watching Clark declare Journalism as his major, Chloe had decided to try something else. And while she may have lost her drive for the written word, she still had her curiosity and the need to find the truth.

Which was why she was outside of Lex’s office, waiting to be summoned. No one had been happy when she began working for Lionel Luthor. Her ‘friends’ had become even more distant. Her father had tried to change her mind, but she was determined to go through with her decision. And, it had been a wonderful learning experience despite juggling classes, study time, and a job. For a while.

She had started in the Acquisitions Department, watching as the men and women around her brokered deals. It was fast-paced and exciting. Promises were made and quickly broken depending on how badly Lionel wanted something. Buildings, pharmaceuticals, people - it amazed her how easily a person’s loyalty was cast aside in the face of cash. Part of her was sickened, but part of her was also fascinated. She had remained in Acquisitions for a little over a year before moving to Development. LuthorCorp had investments in varied markets, and there was always a team working on making something better, more profitable

It was during this time that Chloe learned about the medical technology department, known simply as MedTech. Sure, she knew it existed, but Lionel had made it impossible for her to have access to it--something about her journalistic tendencies. After graduation, she had taken a full-time job in Development. It was interesting and challenging, and she loved it. Until the report.

Glancing at the clock, she noticed it was almost 5:30. Lorna, or was it Leighanne, gave her a tight smile as she gathered her belongings.

“Is he even here?”

“Yes, Miss Sullivan. I’m sure he’ll be with you shortly. I’ve got to run, but…”

“Wait. You’re leaving? Now? And I’m supposed to just wait?”

“If you want to see him. I told you, Mr. Luthor is a busy man. Have a nice evening.”

‘He’s probably in there playing Tetris, the bastard,’ Chloe thought back to the last time they had seen one another, two months ago at the LuthorCorp New Year’s Eve party. If she tried really hard at night, she could still smell him on her pillows. Chloe shook her head to rid herself of those thoughts. Their last encounter hadn’t ended well, and she predicted this one would be the same. ‘Without the fun beforehand.’

“Shut up.”

‘Quit talking out loud.’

At 6:15, just as Chloe was ready to give a hearty, though unsaid, “fuck you” to Lex, the door opened. He glanced at her, raised an eyebrow, and walked back into his office. Rolling her eyes, she got up and entered his office. If she didn’t have such vital information, Chloe would’ve flipped him off and left. But she couldn’t. He had to know. Now.

----------------

Chloe had been running around all day trying to find the health inspection report for the Price Building in Gotham. The city owned it, but Lionel wanted it, and if he had to threaten the mayor with exposing the buried lawsuits for asbestos poisoning, so be it. Marcus told her he had seen something on the fax machine, so Chloe crossed her fingers and went to the copy room.

“Yes!” Chloe picked up the fax from the Gotham Health Department and turned to see what was making that extremely annoying noise.

“Stupid shredder. We can send people into space, but we can’t create a shredder that won’t jam when more than three sheets are put in it.”

Chloe hit the reverse button, and the shredder spewed two partially destroyed sheets upward.

‘And what would these be?’

The top part of the paper was already in teeny pieces, but the bottom was clearly readable.

“…needs to be kept under continual supervision. Subject often becomes disoriented with frequent outbursts. Subject will continue to be kept away from all types of media.

Course of Action: Trial Serum 458 will be given once daily.

Projected Outcome: Subject should cease having memory flashes and become more docile. Implantation of memories will continue.”

“What the hell?” whispered Chloe. Hearing footsteps approaching the door, Chloe quickly shuffled the papers between the fax.

“Was it there?”

“Yeah, it finally came. Well, back to the grindstone. No rest for the weary. Um, other clichés I can’t think of right now.”

Marcus gave her a quick grin and shake of his head before going to the fax machine.

----------

Throwing her bag onto the couch, Chloe approached Lex, who was staring out at the Metropolis skyline.

“Look, Lex, I want to be here about as much as you want me here. But this is important. Let’s just get this over with so we can go back to ignoring one another.”

“Did my father finally kick you out of his bed?”

Several seconds passed as Chloe stared at Lex’s back with a shocked look that quickly turned to irritation and was rapidly approaching full-blown rage. Seconds away from lashing out at him, Chloe managed to rein in her emotions. Screaming obscenities would accomplish nothing. Besides, she could always key one of his cars later.

“Yep. That’s it. Just wanted you to be the first to know.” ‘Asshole.’ “I also thought I’d drop off some information you might want to take a look at.”

Lex flinched imperceptibly when she spoke. He knew he shouldn’t bait her, but just seeing her pissed him off. And aroused him. He could bluff with the best of them; never showed his hand. She was the only one who saw right through him.

“Leave it.”

“Fine. Have a nice night.” ‘Or rot in misery; I don’t care.’ ‘Yes, you do.’ ‘Did I not tell you to shut up?’

Turning slightly, Lex watched as Chloe hastily grabbed her stuff.

‘Just let her go.’

“Just out of curiosity, who’s the better Luthor?”

‘Or dig yourself deeper.’

Flashing Lex a look that would have charred lesser men, Chloe replied, “Lucas,” and walked out.

----------

Chloe tossed and turned all night. It was hard to sleep when your brain was running a marathon. ‘Who’s the Subject? What was that drug? Implanting memories? God, how do you get yourself into these messes?’

Chloe knew Lionel had had shady dealings in the past. She had promised herself from day one that if anything really bad were brought to light, she’d quit immediately. Granted, she wasn’t sure what constituted ‘really bad’, but she figured she’d know it when she saw it. Sitting up in bed, Chloe sighed.

“I think this is really bad.”

A few sentences on a partially destroyed piece of paper didn’t add up to much, but Chloe had always trusted her instincts--for the most part. And they were screaming at her that something wasn’t right.

‘So, do I quit now or...’

A hint of a smile crossed Chloe’s lips. “Not quite yet.”

-----------------

Lex sat at his desk and rubbed his hands over his face. He shouldn’t have said anything. Sure, he’d heard rumors about Chloe and his father, but he hadn’t believed them--mostly.

‘You’re jealous.’

“No, I’m not.”

‘Great. Now I’m talking to myself.’

His last encounter with Chloe hadn’t gone well. He hadn’t seen her since the New Year’s party, though that night was permanently embedded in his brain. The night, not the accusations and insults that followed in the morning.

He finally glanced down at the file folder on his desk. No label.

‘So, what was so important that she’d wait over an hour to give this to me? She could’ve left it with my secretary.’

Opening the folder, Lex began to scan the papers inside.

‘Hmm, guess Dad’s been doing more unethical experiments. Old news, Chloe, you should know that.’

He eyes stopped as he found the name Project Flower Restoration in bold.

“What the hell?”

These were human trials; plus, he had his own labs working on the Nicodemus flower. His frown deepened as he read the photographed medical charts.

ID #: LML01
Subject’s age at trial start date: 31 years old
Medical history: 2 miscarriages, 2 live births (1st son: medically fragile; 2nd son: death in infancy), mildly asthmatic, bone cancer diagnosis at 28 yrs – unresponsive to chemotherapy and radiation treatments; pronounced dead at 18:42 on November 8, 1992. Revived 18:52.
Regimen: After being revived, immediately began injections of Trial Serum 105 (200 cc); 1994: TS 225 (150 cc); 1998: TS 346 (250 cc); [see progression notes in Studies file]; tablet form being considered

More notes followed. Lex felt a sinking feeling in his stomach as his hastily eaten lunch began to make a reappearance.

‘Oh God. He wouldn’t. Except he would.’

Lex began rifling through the papers looking for anything to disprove the thoughts swirling around inside.

Subject had to be restrained when told about son. ~ Visitor has limited contact with subject due to induced stress. ~ First series of implanted memories a success.

Lex got up and shakily began to pour himself a glass of brandy. After downing two glasses in quick succession, he allowed himself to voice the one dream he’d had since he was a child. That dream had now turned into a nightmare.

“She’s alive.”

----------

Getting access to the medical labs hadn’t been easy. She’d had to call in several favors, make more than a few promises, and shell out a lot of cash. From the looks of what she’d already seen, it had been worth any and all sacrifices. Besides, a story without a challenge was like winning before you played the game. Six weeks after beginning her quest, Chloe had gathered most of the information. However, she hadn’t been prepared for what she’d found.

She sat in front of her computer and watched as the images uploaded. She thought she’d seen enough weird happenings in Smallville to make her immune to bizarre occurrences. She’d been wrong. Left alone and separated, the pages she’d seen seemed like any routine medical testing. A few odd events, but that’s why people did research. But together, it was a history of a woman’s life. Subject LML01. Or rather, a shell of a woman who hadn’t been allowed to die naturally--whose body had been saved at the expense of her mind.

She had to tell Lex. She thought about mailing the file anonymously or dropping it off and leaving, but the risk of it getting into another’s hands was too great. She had to see him, even though she had promised herself that she would never willingly do that again.

She glanced down at her chocolate Lab, Bernstein, who was curled up snoring lightly at her feet.

“Suck it up, Sullivan.”

Chloe picked up the phone.

hler
18th June 2003, 02:36
*jaw drops* but I, with the, and then the *more sputtering*..... :ohmy: ............must form words.......really good. really really good. Must continue...no options....write now. need to know what comes next.

~Heida

sydsvaughn
18th June 2003, 02:43
ok, must have more!!! this is intriguing and I can't wait to see what's going to develop!

Sara

dsapiro
18th June 2003, 04:04
MORE NOW! please. This was really good, update soon!

Ranting Idiot
18th June 2003, 04:13
hmm... what IS next? (Good start, BTW)

update soon, will ya?

-Rant

Impress
18th June 2003, 05:05
You have me intrigued. What's next. Post soon.

hfce
18th June 2003, 05:09
This sounds very promising. I love it. More please... :blinkkiss:

Hope :chlexsign2:

Zealot
18th June 2003, 07:29
That's a good start, more very soon, I hope...

Blaire023
18th June 2003, 07:38
wow....just...wow

B

sabby
18th June 2003, 07:53
Originally posted by Blaire023@Jun 18 2003, 07:38 AM
wow....just...wow

B
Ummmmm yeah and more?

S

celticangel
18th June 2003, 10:48
Interesting start, can't wait to find out more. :chlexsign1:

Sway
18th June 2003, 13:23
oooooh this is good. i can't wait for more!!

Calliope
18th June 2003, 14:31
Thanks for all the nice replys. Makes me feel all special. :blush:

Notes: See above for disclaimers. The fic is actually done. I figured I should get all my thoughts down before posting anywhere.

Chapter Two

He hadn’t wanted to attend his father’s party. Too many stolen deals, deceptions, and lies had severed any type of tie he’d had with LuthorCorp. His own company was growing rapidly, and he was able to trade on his own name. Still, he didn’t really have anything better to do.

‘Right. You’re not here to get a glimpse.’

‘No, I’m not.’

‘Mmm hmm. Tell it to someone who doesn’t know who you’re dreaming about at night.’

And then he heard her laugh.

He’d known the day she started her job. Gabe had been less than pleased and asked Lex to try to “talk some sense into his daughter”. Apparently, Gabe had never, ever, tried to change Chloe’s mind. Needless to say, she hadn’t appreciated his advice. She said something along the lines of him being a spoiled brat megalomaniac with obsessive tendencies who needed to mind his own business before butting into hers. Chloe had finished her attack on his business sense and begun listing his personal flaws when he’d kissed her.

He’d never seen Chloe Sullivan speechless.

He’d managed to keep her that way the rest of the night.

Bringing himself back to the present, he turned and found her enthralling a group of middle management types. Receding hairlines, extra twenty pounds, married. Chloe didn’t notice, but they were all ogling her while she talked. The blue, strappy, scoop neck did nothing to hide the tops of her breasts. Nor did the shimmery silk conceal her curves. Striding over, he gently grabbed her hand.

“Excuse me gentlemen. May I borrow Ms Sullivan for a minute?”

Startled green eyes glanced into his, and he could almost see the amber flecks in her irises begin to sparkle.

“Pardon me, guys. I’ll see you on Monday.”

With a quick grin to her coworkers, Chloe walked alongside Lex as they headed for the bar.

“Thanks for the rescue. They’re sweet, but… well, just not exactly who I wanted around when the clock strikes twelve, ya know?”

“Understood,” he answered, facing the bartender and not her. “Two glasses of champagne.” He glanced over at Chloe. “If that’s alright with you?”

“Of course. What’s New Year’s without champagne?” She paused for a second as she studied his face carefully. “Lex, why are you here?”

“Invitation.”

“Smartass, that’s not what I meant. So again. Why are you here? It’s sure as hell not to see your father.”

Shooting her a smirk, he shook his head no.

“Maybe I just wanted to get out of the house.”

“Yeah. Right. You thought you’d put on a suit and head on over to your fiercest rival, not to mention hated father’s, company party.”

“Something like that.”

--------------

It had been a week since Chloe had dropped off the file, and Lex had spent the majority of it in a haze. He’d gone through an exhausting range of emotions, and he’d decided the only clear course of action was to see Chloe.

He picked up the phone and dialed LuthorCorp.

“LuthorCorp. How may I direct your call?”

“Chloe Sullivan”

A few moments passed before the receptionist answered.

“I’m sorry, sir. She no longer works here. May I direct you to someone else?”

Lex hung up the phone without replying.

~~~~

Chloe was sprawled on her couch watching A Baby Story on TLC. She had spent the last week vegetating in her apartment. She decided she could get used to not working. Her television marathon was only broken by short Bernstein-walking treks outside. A half-eaten slice of pizza sat on her coffee table and Chloe watched Bernstein watch the slice.

“I don’t think so, Bernie. You know your tummy doesn’t like the pepperonis.”

Two short knocks on her door startled both Chloe and her dog. Bernstein let out a muffled bark before snatching the pizza slice and running into the bedroom.

“Hey! I saw that!”

Chloe pulled open her door to find Lex waiting.

“Lex! I, uh, wasn’t expecting you.”

Lex let his eyes roam over Chloe’s body, taking in the dark green tank top, low-riding sweats, and purple toe polish.

“I see you’re still not using the peephole.”

“Yeah, well…” Lex stepped around her and walked inside before she could finish her sentence.

“Well, come right in, your highness.”

Chloe shut the door, took a deep breath and turned around. She wasn’t prepared for the naked despair she found in his eyes. All the disagreements and problems they’d had in the past disappeared in that moment.

“Oh, Lex. I’m so sorry.”

Chloe started to cross the room to Lex when Bernstein barreled into the room. He jumped eagerly onto the new inhabitant and began licking Lex’s face.

“Bernie! Down! We’ve talked about this.”

Chloe grabbed Bernie’s collar and pulled him down.

“Sit. Now!”

Bernie quickly sat down and looked expectantly between Chloe and Lex. Chloe was surprised to see a hint of a smile on Lex’s lips.

“Much more enthusiastic greeting than what I got from you.”

Chloe rolled her eyes.

“Have a seat, Lex. I’m guessing you have a few questions.”

“Not really.”

He crossed the room, grabbed Chloe’s hands and pulled her into his arms.

It didn’t take long for Chloe to clutch onto his shoulders and return the embrace. She heard Lex whisper something into her hair.

“Hmm?”

“Help me find my mother.”

sabby
18th June 2003, 14:42
Awww man, this really threw him for a loop. I hope they'll find her together. Seems there is still something between Lex and Chloe after all. Still want to know what happened to break them up in the first place *ponders*

If the story is allready done, I want it all and like NOW!!!!!
Or at least when I get back from class, so update and update NOW!

hugs,
Sabby

hfce
18th June 2003, 14:50
Oh that was so good. Please update now. :worship2:

Blaire023
18th June 2003, 20:05
i ummm...i need more...

i'm like a junkie with this fic....so PLEASE!!! I'll love you forever!

B

hler
18th June 2003, 21:38
Ohh, me likey...more please!!
:wub: ~Heida

bluemoongirl23
19th June 2003, 04:02
I realize that I must sound like a parrot, but update now more and soon are the only words wandering around my brain right about now.

Blue

Calliope
19th June 2003, 05:38
Notes: See above for disclaimers. This part contains a bit of baby smut. Call it smu. Nothing graphic. Thank you so much for the nice comments. They make me fell all fuzzy inside. :blush:

Chapter Three

The band hired for the New Year’s Eve celebration was in full swing as Lex led Chloe out onto a balcony. A few other partygoers were enjoying the crisp night air, and they smiled pleasantly at the couple as they stepped outside.

Chloe walked to the edge of the balcony and looked out over the Metropolis skyline. Lex walked up behind her and wrapped his arms around waist.

“You’re cold.”

“You’re observant.”

“I’ve missed you. Do you even see Clark anymore?”

“Not really. Occasionally, but, I... it’s just too awkward. I’m enjoying myself, and I’m learning so much. And, before you start, I’m well aware of your thoughts on the subject.”

Chloe could feel his grin against the side of her head. Lex brushed his lips against the side of her forehead, and Chloe shivered from something other than the cold.

“I just want you to be careful.”

“Watch out, Lex. Someone might think you care.”

“Maybe I do.”

Chloe closed her eyes, took a deep breath, and tried to calm the flutters in her stomach at his statement.

Abruptly, Lex stepped back, grabbed her hand and began walking toward the hotel’s entrance. Halfway through the ballroom, Lionel stopped them.
“Leaving so soon?”

“Mr. Luthor, this has been a beautiful party. Thanks for..”

Lex interrupted her. “Dad. We’re leaving.”

Chloe heard the edge in Lex’s tone and fervently prayed that Lionel would let them go.

“Now, son, the clock hasn’t struck twelve yet.” He turned to Chloe with a light smirk curling the corners of his mouth upward. “Ms Sullivan, I wanted to thank you for staying late the other night and helping me with those figures. I enjoyed your company.” Lionel let his eyes trace over Chloe’s body.

Lex’s eyes narrowed, but a cold smile graced his lips. “Sorry, Dad. We can’t stay.” Lex stepped around his father and headed for the valet station.

“Wait. Lex. We can’t just. Will you stop?” Chloe gave Lionel an apologetic look as Lex dragged her away.

~~

She hadn’t spoken to him since they had left the hotel. After demanding he take her home, Chloe had turned the radio up, crossed her arms and stared out the window at the passing scenery.

Chloe was turning the key in her lock when she heard Lex say her name.

“Chloe.”

She ignored him.

Bernstein almost knocked her off her feet as she pushed the door open.

“Damn heels,” she muttered. “Hey baby! Did you miss me?”

Chloe was rewarded with a wet nose on her arm. “Yes, I missed you, too. Go play with your toy.”

Bernstein ambled over to his blanket, plopped down and started chewing on his rope. Chloe went to shut the door and found Lex staring at her sullenly.

“Jeez, Lex. Which best friend did you lose this time? Just come in and shut the door. It’s cold out there.”

“Chloe.”

“What? Are you going to apologize for that show of machismo? I’m not your girlfriend. We are not dating. Occasionally, when I forget who we both are, we sleep together. That’s it! That doesn’t give you the right…”

Before she worked herself up into a frenzy, Lex crossed the room, grabbed the back of her neck, and kissed her.

--------

Chloe and Lex were driving down the Interstate when Lex turned the radio off and shifted uncomfortably in his seat.

“Hey! Why’d you do that?”

“Chloe. You have many talents. Singing isn’t one of them.”

“So? I need music when I drive. And before you say one syllable, that techno crap you listen to is not music.”

A few minutes of silence passed before Chloe noticed the tense way that Lex was sitting.

“Are you sure you want to do this?”

He sighed and closed his eyes before answering.

“Yes. Even… even if it turns out to be a disaster, I have to know the truth.” His lips curled into a smirk. “Sound familiar?”

“That’s what got me into this mess in the first place. Let’s see, I’ve quit my job, your father’s probably put a hit out on me, I’m driving to Arizona with America’s sexiest bachelor - well, last year’s, at least - and, I’m hoping to find out if your crazy father faked your mother’s death and kept her alive as part of some bizarre medical experiment. Yep. The truth is out there.”

Lex’s hand covered Chloe’s as it rested on the parking brake.

“Thank you. I don’t think I’ve said that lately.”

“You haven’t. But it’s okay. You just owe Bernie a new toy. He hates staying at Bone Appetite when I’m out of town. The other dogs there are so snooty.”

Lex didn’t even mind when she turned the radio back on and started singing along to some old song by Justin Timberlake.

----------

He began walking her backwards toward her bedroom. As his lips slid across her jaw and down her neck, Chloe began to weakly protest.

“Mmmm, stop. You can’t just kiss me when I’m yelling at you.”

Chloe ran her hands up the back of his neck stopping at the bump at the base of his skull. Lex slid her coat off and stepped around it.

“You shouldn’t be allowed to wear dresses like this.”

Chloe rolled her eyes but didn’t object when he pulled the straps off her shoulders. She kicked off her heels and lost four inches.

Sighing, Chloe pulled Lex’s shirt out from his pants and moved her hands to the buttons.

“Oh, please. You should know by now that flattery won’t get you anywhere with me. I’m much more..ooooo.”

Lex’s smirk was hidden as be kissed his way down Chloe’s chest. His left hand slid to the side of the dress and he pulled the zipper down. The dress pooled at her feet followed by Lex’s overcoat and shirt. As his hands drifted down to her lace-covered ass, Chloe mused that his shirt probably cost more than most of her wardrobe put together.

When her legs hit the side of her bed, Chloe looked up at Lex while running her hands up and down and across his smooth chest.

Chloe whispered, “We really have to stop this.”

Lex lightly bit her on the side of her neck and moved his hands up to cup her breasts.

“Why?”

Closing her eyes, Chloe arched her back and let out a soft moan.

“Because…something…oh, fuck it.”

“No. I’m planning on fucking you.”

He pushed her gently onto the bedspread and started kissing his way around her right breast while gently fondling her left. Chloe scraped her bitten-off nails down his back and smiled to herself when he sucked in a breath.

Lex licked his way down her stomach before reaching the top of her pale blue panties. He grabbed both sides and slowly slid them off her legs before tossing them over his shoulder. He spread her thighs and hooked his arms under them. He blew lightly over her curls and smiled when she shuddered.

He loved the slickness and the moans. He loved that she still tried to form complete sentences even as she came. He loved the way her fingernails dug into his shoulders when he thrust into her. He loved the tightness, the sweat, and the pleas. And, when he was truthful with himself, he loved her.

She loved the hardness and the groans. She loved that he’d moan her name when he came. She loved the bruises he sometimes left on her thighs. She loved the soreness that came in the morning. She loved the fullness, the sweat, and the pleas. And, when she was truthful with herself, she loved him.

Lex slowly rolled off of Chloe but quickly pulled her to his side.

“Mmmmm. Are you staying?”

He kissed the top of her head and relaxed as she threw an arm across his chest.

“Yeah,” he replied. “Chloe?”

“Hmm?”

“Why is your dog looking at us like that?”

Only a second passed before Chloe burst out laughing.

drina
19th June 2003, 09:34
Hmmm i'm a bit confused abt the time-shifts...but the story definitely has potential..very suspenseful..I wanna know what happens to Lex's mum

sabby
19th June 2003, 10:23
Ok I definitely liked this chapter a lot, after I got the timeframes and conversations right. And I think the smu *snickers* scene was really good, the two parapraphs about He loved.... She loved... were great! And gotta love that the dog was watching them :lol:

Anyway, please post the next chap soon, can't wait for more!

hugs,
Sabby

hfce
19th June 2003, 16:32
Oh that was good . I was confused by the time frame but still was able to follow it.

roslyn
19th June 2003, 21:23
yea, i agree with drina, i'm a bit confused...did they sleep together before or after the drive in arizona? are they together as a couple or just friends/business partners with benefits? but other then that i am really liking this story, it's different, with the whole Lex's mom might still be alive thing, so update soon.

:wub: Roslyn

petriebird18
19th June 2003, 21:28
ohhh, good chappy, love the smut!
now go write more!! :biggrin:
~Deidre~
:chlexsign3:

sydsvaughn
19th June 2003, 21:29
"smu" ... for some reason, I like that term... and I love it in this story! cannot wait to see if they find mom, and am so glad they're working together! more soon please!

Sara

Ranting Idiot
20th June 2003, 02:04
hehehe. i loved that last part about the dog.

Let me guess, they're on the way to Arizona, but the flashbacks are going over how they broke up?

Continue very soon, please.

-Rant

Calliope
20th June 2003, 04:44
Notes: Yeah, I was worried about following the time line. I'm going to go ahead and post the rest and add a few modifiers to the beginning of the sections. Hope that makes it easier. Thanks all for taking the time to reply. :biggrin:

Disclaimers are above.

Chapter Four (Present)

Chloe exited the freeway and looked for the sign that would lead them to the city of Sexton. Lex had become more and more quiet the closer they got to their destination. After driving about fifteen miles, she turned into the Wandering Meadows Group Care Facility.

“Wandering Meadows? Where would they be going? That’s a dumb name.”

Lex continued to stare at the nondescript building. Chloe got out of the car and walked to the passenger side. Lex stepped out and slowly shut the door.

“I can go in first if you want - make sure she’s really here. That way, you wouldn’t have to, um, go in. First, I mean. Since we’re not completely sure, you know.”

“Chloe. I’m fine.” His actions belied his words as he grabbed Chloe’s hand and held tight as they walked into the facility.

They walked up to the information desk. A petite brunette with a short pixie cut smiled as they approached.

“Are you two here to visit someone?”

“Yes. I wanted to introduce my boyfriend to my Aunt Joanne. Joanne Murphy. I just know Brad here is going to propose soon, and Auntie Jo is the only family I have left.”

“Of course. I’ll take you to her room. Now, you do understand that Joanne is suffering from Alzheimer’s, and she might not recognize you?”

“Oh, I know. It’s okay. Come on, Brad, you’re going to love Auntie Jo.”

Lex followed Chloe and the receptionist down the hall. He caught up to Chloe and held her back.

“You are dangerous. I never asked how you got all that information. Do I really want to know?”

“Probably not. Let’s just say your father’s company pays very well and others have now benefited from his generosity.”

“You worry me, Sullivan.”

Flashing a quick grin, Chloe grabbed Lex’s hand and hurried to catch up to the receptionist.

“Here she is. Room 168. Let me know if you need anything. There’s a nurse call button next to the light switch. If she gets agitated, just push it.”

“Miss, where’s the men’s bathroom?”

“Just down the hall about four rooms. On your left.”

“Thanks. I’ll be right back, hon.”

Chloe crossed her fingers as she watched Lex go in one direction and the receptionist go in another. She took a few deep breaths to try to slow her heart down, slapped on a big smile, and stepped into ‘Auntie Jo’s’ room.

“Joanne? Hi. I’m here to visit with you for a while.”

--------------

Two Months Ago

Chloe’s day had been really good until that damn fly showed up. She was stretched out next to a pool enjoying the sun’s warmth. She had a trashy novel in one hand and an icy cold Coke in the other. She brushed at her arm when the fly landed, and it quickly buzzed away. Then it returned. To her other arm, her nose, ears and finally, her lips.

“Dammit, go away.”

“Chloe.”

‘Oh my God, the fly is talking to me.’

“Chloe.”

‘How does it know my name?’

“Chlo-e.”

“Uhgnh.” Chloe cracked an eye open to see Lex leaning on an elbow staring at her. He continued to run his finger across her shoulder and down her arm.

“Chloe, it’s eight o’clock.”

“Too early.”

Lex moved his hand to a known sensitive spot on her stomach when she closed her eye and snuggled into the bedding.

“Hey, quit! I’m awake. Man, you’re cruel.” Chloe’s eyes widened as a thought occurred to her. “Oh crap, I’ve got to take Bernie outside.”

Lex stopped her from getting out of bed.

“Already done. Fed him, too. Have you ever thought about a diet?”

Chloe smacked him lightly on his chest.

“Don’t say such things. Bern’s very sensitive about his weight. And his food.”

Chloe lay back against his chest, saw the paper and grabbed the front section of The Daily Planet.

“You can still be an investigative journalist.”

“Nah. I’m happy. Maybe someday I’ll want to write books or something.”

“Stop working for my father.”

Chloe stiffened slightly and started to sit up, but Lex’s arm around her hips wouldn’t let her move.

“I don’t want to get into this, Lex. I know how you feel. I’ve known for three years how you feel. You haven’t, and you won’t, change my mind.”

“Chloe. I..care about you. Everything my father does comes with a price. I don’t want anything to happen to you. If you need money…”

Chloe scrambled off the bed and threw on a T-shirt that had been lying on the floor.

“Whoa. Hold it right there. I don’t need your money. I haven’t been sleeping with you for the past three years for money. You know that.”

“That’s not what I meant.”

“Furthermore, what happened between you and your father is none of my concern. Maybe if you had better judgment in women, he wouldn’t have been able to take advantage of…”

“Is he using you, too? Are you snooping around my office when I’m asleep? Find any good inside information? Do you go from my bed to his?”

“You fucking bastard! Just…”

“No. My parents were married. And my mom stuck around.”

“Get out!”

Lex knew he’d gone too far. He didn’t think before speaking when he was around her, and it invariably got him in trouble. He watched as the fight slid out of her and saw her eyes grow cold with hurt and anger.

“Chloe, I’m sorry. I didn’t mean it. I just get so frustrated.”

“Just leave. I don’t ever want to see you again.”

She sank onto the edge of the bed with a dull expression on her face. Lex got up and dressed. With one last apologetic look, he walked out of the bedroom.

When she heard the front door click, Chloe curled up in the middle of the bed and let the tears fall. The bed shifted when Bernie jumped up and began nudging her with his nose. Chloe laid her head on his midsection and wrapped her arms around his neck.

“You’re the only guy I need.”

Bernie let out a soft ‘woof’ in reply.
--------

Arizona

Lex walked down the corridor and paused in front of Room 180A. Steeling himself, he opened the door and stepped inside. Room 180A was actually a suite of rooms, lavishly decorated and furnished. Lex recognized a few of the pieces from his childhood. He walked into the living area and found her.

She was sitting in a rocking chair facing the window. Verdi played softly on a nearby CD player. Lex walked slowly towards the window and the woman.

He had to clear his throat several times before he could get the words out.

“Mo... Lillian?”

She turned at the sound of his voice. There was no recognition in her eyes.

“Yes. Are you new?”

Lex swept his eyes across her face. He took in the blue eyes--now surrounded by lines, the hint of a smirk on her lips—his inheritance, and the brilliant auburn hair—liberally streaked with gray.

He sat on a nearby ottoman and took her hand. He also found himself at a loss for words.

She smiled indulgently. “You can call me Lily. Are you OK?”

Funny that she would be asking him that question.

“Yes. You just looked…familiar.” Blue eyes mirroring his own looked back at him.

She squeezed his hand.

“My son would be around your age now. But, he died a long time ago. Did you bring the meds? It gets terribly confusing when I don’t take them on time.”

“Well, no. Actually, I forgot them. I just wanted to see you.”

“Do I know you?”

Lex looked out the window and composed himself before answering.

“No.”

~~~~

Chloe found Joanne Murphy to be a delight. She was thrilled to have a visitor and treated Chloe as if she was a long-lost relative. She regaled Chloe with tales of being a nurse during World War II--falling in love with a soldier only to lose him on the battlefield. She had started talking about her late husband when Lex appeared at the door.

“Joanne, this is, um, Lex.”

Lex arched an eyebrow but didn’t say anything. Chloe saw the strain in his face and quickly said goodbye to Joanne. She promised her she’d be back to see her soon. Surprisingly, she found she meant it.

When they reached the car, Lex held his hand out for the keys. Chloe wordlessly handed them over. After finding a decent hotel, though Chloe knew it was four and a half stars below Lex’s usual accommodations, Chloe settled onto a bed. Lex began making phone calls, talking in curt tones to Andrew, Kurt, Elise, and a host of other people. When he was finished on the phone, Lex walked out onto the tiny balcony. Chloe went up behind him and wrapped her arms around his waist, resting her head on his back.

“What are you going to do?”

A minute passed before he answered.

“Shut it down.”

“But how? It’s LutherCorp. Won’t he just make it disappear?”

“He won’t have time. Besides, he’ll soon know that I’ll take Luthor and LexCorp down to end this. I’ve got copies of everything you found that will find its way into appropriate hands should anything happen to either of us. He can’t buy his way out of this. I’ll kill him first.”

“Lex…”

He turned around and put a finger to her lips. As he backed her into the hotel room, he wordlessly undressed both of them. It was slow and sweet and different. The caresses were deliberate and unhurried, the kisses long and deep.

She lay on her side with her back against his chest, their legs tangled and their fingers entwined. As she drifted off to sleep, she could have sworn he said he loved her.

Chapter Five (One month later)

It had been a month since Chloe had gotten back from Arizona. She had sent out a few inquiries to magazines and had gotten an offer to freelance. She figured that would hold her until she figured out what she wanted to do. She’d only seen Lex twice after she dropped him off back in Metropolis. She hadn’t asked him what had happened with his mother; he’d tell her if and when he wanted.

She’d seen him the first time back at Wandering Meadows. Most of the residents (or subjects) had been moved to a care facility in Metropolis. When the ‘medication’ was ended and their bodies readjusted, several had opted to live on their own. LuthorCorp had generously given the residents enough money to live comfortably for the rest of their lives. Chloe had helped Joanne settle in her new home. She regularly visited and was grateful that she had picked Joanne’s name off of the resident roster she’d bought from a nurse.

There hadn’t been a war between father and son. None of the information had been leaked to the press. On paper and publicly, Lionel decided to retire and sign his share of the LuthorCorp stocks over to Lex. An amicable family business merger. Only a few people knew it was anything but.

The second time had been at The Talon. She had been visiting her dad, Lana, and Pete when she’d seen (what could only be) his Porsche boxter drive by. He’d stopped by her father’s later that evening and told her he’d moved his mother to the estate. He’d said it was quiet, roomy and away from prying eyes. They hadn’t spoken for long before he gave her a lingering kiss on the forehead, a tight hug, and a soft ‘goodbye’.

Chloe itched to write down the entire tale but knew she wouldn’t. She grinned.

‘Well, maybe someday.’

A sharp knock roused her from her thoughts.

“Woof.” Bernie barked once then put his head back down.

“Bernie. Can you pretend to be interested? Maybe you do need to go on a diet.”

Bernie whined and rolled onto his back.

Chloe was still laughing when she opened the door and came face to face with Lex.

“You’re still not using your peephole.”

“Nope.” She smiled up at him. He looked almost happy.

“Grab some clothes. Let’s go.”

Chloe sighed and moved to her bedroom.

“Um,.. hi Chloe. You look amazing. I’m stunned by your beauty. You’re hair looks darling. Would you like to go with me to…” Chloe stopped and turned around. “Wait. Where are you taking me?”

“Sarcasm doesn’t become you, dear. Does it really matter?”

“Sarcasm is me, honey. What am I supposed to do with Bernie?”

“Bring him.”

“Oh.”

“That’s it. No snarky comeback? Sullivan, you’re slowing down.”

Chloe stuck her tongue out at him and Lex laughed. Genuinely.

“Mature, love, mature.” He got serious. “I want you to meet someone.”

Chloe stopped throwing clothes in a bag and turned to look at Lex. The smile she gave him took his breath away.

~~~~

As they pulled in front of the mansion, Chloe realized she’d never seen Lex so relaxed. Bernie bounded out of the back of the Mercedes and promptly began exploring the new environment.

“The country air seems to suit him. I didn’t know he could move that fast.”

“Hey! Quit making fun of my dog!”

“Come on. I’ll have someone keep an eye on him.”

She followed Lex through several halls before he stopped in front of the outside patio.

“I figured she should meet the woman I intend to marry.”

“Really. Do I know her?”

He pulled her into a quick embrace and kissed her soundly on the lips.

“You might have met her once or twice.”

“Isn’t it customary to ask the woman you intend to marry first? What if she declines?”

“Some think so. But, she loves me too much to not say yes.”

“Arrogant much?”

He cupped her face in his hands and looked into her eyes.

“Chloe Sullivan. I know this is unexpected and abrupt, but I love you. I’ve been an ass for the past three years. I’ve said unforgivable things and behaved like a jerk. Chalk it up to immaturity and stubbornness. Please marry me and make me a happy man. You can write or work for Wayne or investigate unusual events, or sit on your ass all day watching The Learning Channel. As long as you do it from my side.”

A tear slid down Chloe’s cheek.

“You’d let me work for Bruce?”

Lex grinned and wrapped her in his embrace. “Yes?”

“Yes - but we still have a lot to talk about.”

“Agreed.”

“Are you sure? Cuz we’re talking days worth of lengthy discussions if we’re going to have a real relationship.”

“We can lock ourselves in the library later.”

“Ha! You may think your funny, but you’re not.”

Lex leaned down and gave her a slow, lazy kiss.

“I’m an acquired taste.”

Chloe buried her head in his chest and smiled.

“Lex. Have I mentioned lately that I love you?”

Lex smiled and ran his fingers through her hair.

“Not lately. Or ever.”

“I love you…even if you are infuriating, stubborn and arrogant with zero taste in music.”

Chloe wrapped her arms around his neck and placed tiny kisses all over his face.

Several minutes and kisses later, they walked toward the back door together. Chloe saw a tall woman standing outside on the patio tending to some flowers.

“She doesn’t remember much yet. My father fed her a variety of lies, but she’s getting better. She remembers everything up to the radiation treatments, but she was told I had died. The drugs they gave her made her confuse reality and fantasy, and he convinced her it was part of the cancer regimen. Add a bit of meteor rock exposure to the base chemicals in the drugs, and Lionel had her convinced the side effects were from the cancer. Never mind that whatever they did to her to revive her completely eradicated the cancer. She still has headaches, but she’s fine most of the time.”

“Have you told her who you are?”

“No. I told her I was Lionel’s son but sidestepped any questions about my mother. Ready?”

“Yeah.”

Lex held the door open for Chloe as she walked through.

“Lily? I want you to meet a friend of mine.”

Lillian put the watering can down and walked over to the couple.

“Lily,” she said, offering her hand out to shake.

“Chloe. Nice to meet you,” Chloe returned. “Lex has said nothing but wonderful things about you.”

Lillian smiled. “He’s been very sweet to let me stay here. There was some health hazard at my last home, but Lex offered me a room, well a bunch of rooms, and asked me to stay.” She winked at Chloe. “I think he keeps me around for the cookies.”

Chloe glanced at Lex. “Cookies?”

“What? Did I forget to mention that my weakness is peanut butter cookies?”

“I’ll make a note.”

“How are you feeling today? Do you need anything?”

“I had a headache earlier, but I’m feeling better.”

Chloe started when she saw a brown flash streak across the well-manicured lawn. He was followed by man yelling “Bernstein” in a British accent.

“If you’ll excuse me, I’m going to go corral my dog.”

Chloe smiled at Lillian, kissed Lex on the cheek, and sprinted off after the butler and Bernstein.

“She’s very sweet.”

“Yeah. I’m still trying to figure out what I did to deserve her. She agreed to marry me earlier.”

Lillian gasped. “Congratulations! I’m so happy for you.”

She walked over to Lex and hugged him. Lex couldn’t help the lump that appeared in his throat and the tears that clouded his vision. He hadn’t been hugged by his mother in a decade. He found he couldn’t let her go.

“It’s okay, Ale.”

Lex stiffened, but didn’t let go. He found he could barely whisper. “What did you call me?”

Lillian pulled back and smiled hesitantly at Lex.

“I found the pictures. I remember you sitting next to the bed, trying to be so brave. You told me we were going to go to the farm when I got better. You’d even found a new horse you wanted to buy and give me. Y ou said you’d use your own money you had saved.”

“Mom?”

Lillian looked into Lex’s eyes, seeing hope and fear reflected. “I don’t remember everything - I might never. But I do remember my Alexander. And, I’d like to get to know him again.”

Lex just nodded when he found he couldn’t speak. The somber mood was broken when Bernstein ran onto the patio, sopping wet, and began shaking off drops of water. Chloe followed breathlessly and her eyes widened as she took in the scene in front of her.

“Oh. Sorry. I guess he needed to cool down - in your pool,” she gave Lex an apologetic smile before turning to look at her dog again. “Bernie! That’s not nice. Look how wet Lex’s super-expensive, ridiculously-overpriced shirt is. No treat for you.”

Bernie yawned before stretching out in a patch of sunshine.

Chloe noticed that Lex and Lillian were holding hands. She tentatively raised both eyebrows.

“Everything okay?”

Lillian answered before Lex had the chance.

“Everything’s fine. So, what’s this I hear about you marrying my son?”

Chloe saw the sparkle in Lillian’s eyes before looking over at Lex. He nodded slightly before mouthing, “Thank you.”

Chloe tamped down the urge to simultaneously squeal and cry, linked her arm through Lillian’s, and led her into the house.

“Did you know, he didn’t even really ask me to marry him? He told me. Can you believe that?”

Lex smiled as their voices faded down the hall. He glanced at a softly snoring Bernie before looking out across the grounds.

‘Hmm. Perhaps there is such a thing as happy endings.’

FIN

drina
20th June 2003, 05:12
Yay, happy endings.

Yay, after you added the time, this is not confusing. I'm glad to see Lex reunites with his mom again, but ahhh...why did Lionel have to get away from the mess he created relatively unscathed?

hurlingturtles
20th June 2003, 05:42
yay! i'm so happy for Lex! i love Chloe's dog. WHat the heck is the Learning Channel? Is that on satellite or something? Anyways, great job!

PS- Tetris rocks! (in chap 1)

hfce
20th June 2003, 08:33
Oh that was so great. I loved this story.

shipperchick
20th June 2003, 17:55
Wow! I really love this! I love the humor and realness of the characters, I feel like I'm watching a romantic comedy about two people fumbling about... and the XF style plot just adds to the complexity! Love the interaction, love the writing style, *love* Bernie.... LOVE IT! Please, keep it up!

sabby
20th June 2003, 20:15
Awww this is how I like angst best...with a happy ending! this was a beautiful story, can't wait to read your next one

hugs,
Sabby

petriebird18
20th June 2003, 22:16
Oh my god!!! I am CRYING HERE! That was so BEAUTIFUL, i LOVE it!!! :wub:
~Deidre~
:chlexsign3:

bluemoongirl23
21st June 2003, 22:19
Aww, I loves me the sweet and happy endings. One big happy family, along with the dog, of course. Lovely story.

Blue

Sab_Luthor
22nd June 2003, 02:23
oh my god it's so beautiful :crygreen: :crygreen: :crygreen:
i'm so happy for lex. he deserve it

Carina
22nd June 2003, 03:11
I certainly hope this won't be your last fic, it was great, especially considering it's your first. The plot was intriguing and the way you structured it -- switching from past to present -- worked well. And I thought it was very sweet that Chloe still visited Joanne. :biggrin: Thanks for the great read!

Catheryne
26th June 2003, 05:41
I just read this and wow :) It's a very sweet ending. The time shifts were no problem at all. Sometimes, you show a story best with disjointed narrative.

lunaluthor
1st July 2003, 20:15
so awsome funny sweet and listen this definetly can't be your last fic you have to write more of these great stories :biggrin:

suspension of disbelief
10th May 2005, 06:40
love it.....

Donutte
11th May 2005, 02:12
I so loved this story! It was absolutely beautiful... And Chloe's dog; oh so funny because dogs are just like that! But Lex and his mom were reunited; and Chloe and Lex are engaged... How much of a happier ending can you get? *teardrop*

Donutte

showntell
14th May 2005, 16:49
Nice job...

starmoon
14th May 2005, 21:51
great story and i am so happy that it ended so nicely.

darkangel
30th July 2005, 04:47
This is so sweet. :D :grin3:

darkangel
23rd September 2006, 10:55
This is simply beautiful.

herbles05
27th October 2006, 06:19
Awwww.... A happy ending and Lionel didn't even have to die! Love the story. Didn't think I wanted to read it but I'm glad that I did!

ouroboros72
7th November 2006, 21:35
THIS is why I joined up here! Really enjoyed it, me want more!!

Caliope
1st January 2007, 17:05
I enjoyed your story very much. It was well written and quite interesting.

By the way, I like your name.;)

blacktears
10th January 2007, 20:45
It was so sweet and i think i'm falling more in love with Chlex!!!
CHLEX POWER!!!

CrazyGirlWriter
13th June 2010, 12:24
so adorable, loved how lex proposed