PDA

View Full Version : Evil Is Obvious Only In Retrospect (PG-13)

sadie kate
2nd April 2006, 10:48
Author: sadie kate
Rating: PG-13
Category: General
Spoilers: Futurefic, with references to the series at large. All aired episodes, to be safe.
Disclaimer: Don't own 'em. Borrowing 'em for my own enjoyment
Summary: There are some meals. Some banter. A bit of philosophical discussion. Oh, and a random foot massage.
Author's Note: I've been writing fanfic for nearly a year, but this is my first Smallville fic of any kind. Thus, it's the first fic I've posted here. I'm super-nervous, and I hope I've done the characters justice. I welcome concrit.

It was easy to disappear in New York. It wasn’t that it was that much bigger than Metropolis, but in New York, Chloe found herself unfettered by expectations. It was an unanticipated benefit to leaving everyone behind, and she had started to feel lately that she might finally become whoever she was meant to be.

Not that she was a big believer in destiny, at least not where her own life was concerned. Chloe had never been foolish enough to think that she mattered that grandly on the cosmic scale. She wasn’t like Clark or Lex, both of whom seemed to have been born in order to achieve greatness in some realm or another.

But in New York, at least, she could have the kind of life that she wanted, that she’d dreamed of since she was a child. There had been newspapers in Metropolis of course, and she’d worked for the best one. Not that there was much of a point to it, really; at least half of the big stories she had unearthed got swept under the rug. There couldn’t really be any such thing as free press in a town where everyone seemed to be in LuthorCorp’s pocket, even the managing editors.

Which was not to say that the papers in New York were any less susceptible to tampering. At least this way it didn’t seem so personal.

Chloe accepted a job with the Post, and it felt like a good fit. It was a real newspaper, but it wasn’t afraid to be a little sensationalistic. Her old clippings from the Torch were actually kind of admired by her superiors, who seemed to be a lot more open to the idea of meteor freaks than the honchos at the Times. Though, it was difficult for her to explain why her portfolio was light on stories about Superman. She couldn’t exactly plead journalistic bias without spilling some secrets she was pretty sure she’d never be prepared to share.

It was a good move, she knew. This way she could write the stories she wanted to write, without having to avoid the issue of the vigilante in spandex. This way she could write the stories she wanted to write without worrying about her bald billionaire quasi-friend quashing them. Chloe didn’t ever regret leaving. The only thing she ever felt bad about was that she didn’t feel guiltier about it.

It was easy to disappear in New York. It was also easy to forget that anyone with the right resources and enough interest could find you fairly quickly. Chloe remonstrated herself for being so thoroughly surprised to see Lex relaxing at a table in her favorite neighborhood café, the one she went to every Saturday. Then, she kicked herself for being so utterly predictable. He obviously wasn’t shocked to see her at all, and she wondered how long he’d been having her staked out.

She could have left of course, or indulged in her petty preference for bad manners and ignored him altogether. But curiosity always won out over distrust. Damn those journalistic instincts.

He smiled at her when she pulled out the chair across from his. Only he could make such an ostensibly friendly gesture feel vaguely sinister.

“Why, Chloe,” he said mildly. “What a coincidence.”

“I’ve never believed in coincidence,” she replied, pushing her coffee mug to the edge of the table so the busboy could fill it on the way by. “It’s too convenient.”

He inclined his head slightly, in lieu of verbally acknowledging her remark.

“Do you have any recommendations?” Lex asked, giving the menu a cursory glance.

“The French toast is great, if you can handle something sweet at this time of day. I usually go for the eggs benedict. I must say though, I’m surprised that you’d go to a restaurant without first researching the most popular dishes.”

“I’m feeling spontaneous today,” he said dryly. “Besides, I’ve always trusted your judgment.”

Chloe fixed her eyes on her coffee as she stirred in precise amounts of cream and sugar. Lex, of course, drank his black.

A harried waitress came by to take their order, and Lex ordered eggs benedict for them both. Chloe forced herself not to say anything about it, even though his presumption irritated her. He’d call it being well-mannered, though she knew full well it was a control thing. She figured it would save time if she just argued both sides of the issue in her head.

She looked up, and he was watching her with a hint of a smirk. Chloe wouldn’t be surprised if he knew exactly what she was thinking. It was hard not to feel transparent around him.

It was definitely too early in the morning for this. Those stale bagels at home were looking awfully good, in retrospect.

“So, Lex. What brings you into the city?”

Chloe had developed an affinity for watching televised poker, and she had started applying the tells to real life. People who leaned forward came off as too anxious. Often relaxation was really a sign of strength. She settled back in her chair and watched him

“I’m surprised you’re not already aware of my business dealings here.” Lex leaned back a little too, mimicking her stance.

“I don’t cover the business beat,” Chloe informed him.

“Still.”

“I don’t work in Metropolis anymore,” she said pointedly. “I have no reason to keep tabs on you.”

“Point taken.”

Chloe narrowed her eyes. He was being even more taciturn than she remembered. She wasn’t going to give him the satisfaction of trying to drag his real reason for being here out of him. He’d share it when he was ready. She took another swallow of her coffee and gazed at him placidly. He quirked an eyebrow when she didn’t rise to the bait.

“So, you’re not going to press it?”

“Would it matter if I did?” she asked rhetorically. “I’ve found that if you want things known, they become known. If you don’t want them known, you bury them down so deep, no amount of digging can unearth them.”

“I’m surprised to hear you say that, Chloe. You used to be so tenacious.”

“I still am,” she said calmly. “But now I choose my battles more carefully.”

“Is this a battle?”

“I’m pretty sure it’s breakfast,” she deadpanned.

“Are you angry with me, Chloe?”

“Should I be?”

“Do you have an aversion to answering simple questions?”

“Of course. I prefer to be the one who does the asking.”

She flashed him her most winning smile, and Lex grinned back. It was so genuine, she was caught slightly off guard. Luckily, the waitress came by with their food. Chloe welcomed the opportunity to regain her equilibrium.

“The eggs were excellent,” he said when he was finished.

“They always are.”

“I can see why you always get the same thing.”

“I know what I like,” Chloe shrugged.

“Really. I’d imagined you were just set in your ways.”

“That, too.”

When the waitress came by to clear the dishes, Lex slipped her a credit card. Chloe didn’t protest, but she did dig through her wallet to leave cash for a tip. Rich people were always lousy tippers.

When they exited the restaurant, Lex held the door open and placed his hand on the small of her back as he followed her out. Chloe wondered when this had become a date. Granted, it had been awhile since she had dated, but she was still fairly certain these types of things were typically prearranged.

She was surprised when he began walking with her towards her apartment. She had assumed he was driven everywhere these days, had figured it would make multi-tasking easier.

“I’d like to thank you for breakfast,” she said after a moment.

“Why do I get the feeling there’s an addendum to your gratitude?”

“I have to confess I’m a little unclear about your motives.”

“Perhaps I just wanted to have a meal with an old friend,” he said.

“Were we really friends?” she asked curiously.

“I like to think so. Of course, I don’t have too many, so my standards may be different than yours.”

“You could have called me,” she pointed out. “There was no need for an ambush.”

“Your number is unlisted.”

“Do I need to point out that you managed to find out when and where I eat breakfast every Saturday?” Chloe said wryly. “I’m sure dealing with the phone company would have entailed slightly less effort.”

“I did try to call once,” he admitted. “You were out.”

“I didn’t get the message.”

“I didn’t leave one. I wasn’t sure you’d call back. Would you have?”

“I don’t know,” she admitted. “Probably. Out of curiosity, if for no other reason."

She glanced out of the corner of her eye, and she was pretty sure he was smiling again. His good cheer was slightly unsettling.

“I’ve always admired your honesty.” Lex said cryptically She chose to ignore that.

“How long are you in town for?” she asked idly, as they stopped in front of her apartment building. She rummaged around in her purse.

“A few days. I thought I’d leave it open-ended. It all depends on my negotiations.”

Her fingers closed around the cold metal of her keys, and she pulled them out, looking up to meet his steady gaze.

“Well … enjoy your stay,” she said lamely, slightly at a loss.

“I’d like it if you had dinner with me,” he said. It wasn’t necessarily a command, but it wasn’t exactly a request, either.

“When?”

“Tonight, if you’re free.”

She was utterly and woefully free. Not that he needed to know that.

“There’s nothing I can’t cancel,” she said loftily.

“Terrific. Shall I pick you up at eight?”

“That would be fine.”

“And Chloe? Wear something nice.”

Chloe shot him a distracted smile as she made her way up the front steps. She was pretty sure if she turned around, Lex would be watching her, so she made it a point not to look back.

Lex was nothing, if not unfailingly prompt. The buzzer rang precisely at eight, and she shouted through the staticky intercom that she’d be right down. He was waiting on the sidewalk for her, hands thrust casually into his pockets.

“You look lovely,” he said appreciatively.

“Thank you,” she said, biting back a self-deprecating remark. She had made a concerted effort since high-school to be better at accepting compliments.

Lex stood aside as the driver opened the door to the limo, and climbed in after her. He
waited until she was settled to hand her a glass of champagne.

“No toast?” Chloe teased as he took a sip from his own glass.

“I think we know one another well enough to dispense with the formalities.”

“Excellent,” she smiled. “I’ll take that to mean I can skip over the small talk and ask you straight out why you’re here.”

“I told you. I’m in town on business. I assume you looked into that.”

“Of course,” she replied. “Standard corporate takeover. Everything seems aboveboard. If you’re going to be a stickler for precision, I’ll amend my question and ask what you’re doing here with me.”

Lex regarded her inscrutably before reaching into his jacket and pulling out a slip of paper. She took it from him and glanced it over.

“If you’re looking for a date, I’ve already been invited,” she said tightly, handing it back to him. “In fact, I’m the maid-of-honor.”

“I suppose I was just interested to see how you felt about it. Clark marrying your cousin, and all.”

“I think they’re a wonderful couple, and I’m sure they’ll be very happy together,” she replied automatically.

“I figured you’d say something along those lines.”

“I didn’t realize you’d been invited.”

“I’m fairly certain it was just a courtesy invitation,” Lex said. The corner of his mouth twisted slightly downwards for a fleeting moment. “The wedding’s in Smallville. It wouldn’t look good if he didn’t invite me, even if we aren’t friends any longer.”

“Will you go anyway?”

“Probably,” he admitted. “I do tend to be a glutton for punishment. Besides, how can I pass up the opportunity to see you in a bridesmaid’s dress? Undoubtedly, Lois has picked out something hideous.”

“I laid down the law,” Chloe replied. “No taffeta.”

Lex nodded approvingly, before reaching over with the bottle to top off her champagne.

“It’s nice of you to agree to be the maid-of-honor,” he said casually. “I couldn’t help but notice that you left town right after they started dating. I thought perhaps you disapproved.”

“All right, Lex. Cut the shit.”

“Excuse me?”

“You heard me,” she said. “I don’t believe for a moment that you’re here to ferret out the subtle nuances of my feelings regarding Lois and Clark’s relationship. Like you said, we know one another well enough to dispense with the formalities. Get to the point.”

“I’m not very convincing at small talk, am I?” Lex said ruefully.

Chloe raised her eyebrows at him, and he chuckled.

“I suppose,” he continued, twirling the stem of his glass between elegant fingers, “I was curious where your friendship with Clark stood. Whether it’s fallen by the wayside, as mine has.”

“Clark and I are not as close as we once were,” Chloe said carefully, after a long moment. “But it’s not the same thing. There’s no animosity there. There’s not much feeling left at all.”

“I find that curious,” Lex commented.

“I don’t see why,” Chloe shrugged. “Friendships fade out all the time. It happens. You don’t get along with him anymore, either.”

“Clark and I had a rather … intense friendship, you might say. It stands to reason that our falling out would turn the tide of that in the other direction. You were also very close to him. I don’t see how the friendship could just end, without corresponding negative feelings.”

“Maybe it would have turned out that way,” Chloe said, surprising herself with her sudden frankness. “I’m not going to deny that I had certain resentments. I don’t think it’s any secret that I felt strongly about Clark in a way that he wasn’t able to reciprocate. It got too hard to go on that way, so I moved on. But I don’t harbor any ill will, so if you’re hoping to dig up some dirt on him, you’ve come to the wrong girl.”

“You certainly like to cut to the chase, don’t you?” Lex commented, as he polished off his drink.

“I just prefer to know where people stand.”

“Fair enough.”

“So, are we still having dinner, now that I’ve exposed your hidden agenda?”

“Of course,” Lex said smoothly. “Though, I hope you don’t think you’ve uncovered all of my ulterior motives so easily. I’d hate to think that you were underestimating me.”

They were pulling up to the curb then, so Chloe didn’t get a chance to think too much about what he would have meant by that.

The restaurant was one of those trendy bistros that had probably had a waiting list six months before it even opened. It was just like last year’s hottest restaurant, and the hottest restaurant of the year before that. It was the same thing every season. Only the names changed.

Lex had probably waited until that morning to finagle a reservation, and they still had the best table in the house. It was oddly comforting to Chloe that his influence still had considerable sway, even this far outside of Metropolis. There was a certain sense of constancy.

She tuned out while Lex engaged in an intense conversation with the sommelier, and took in their surroundings. Warehouse chic was apparently back in vogue. It had probably cost millions of dollars to make the place look like a construction site. The concrete walls were accented by exposed steel girders, and the tables and chairs were intricate amalgamations of metal, glass and industrial plastic.

It could have all been very off-putting, but it was far less intimidating than fine linens and candlelight would have been.

Lex finally settled on a bottle of wine that was probably equivalent in price to a month’s rent for Chloe. The sommelier filled her glass upon Lex’s approval of the vintage, and she took a polite sip. It was excellent, but not so much better than the stuff she usually picked up for fifteen bucks a bottle at the grocery.

Chloe studied the menu while Lex studied her. She wondered if he was deliberately attempting to freak her out.

“I’ve followed your career,” he said finally, after they had placed their dinner order. “You’ve done well for yourself here. You’ve written some impressive exposes.”

“I’ve gotten more skilled at circumventing corruption,” she replied.

“I hope you don’t take it personally that I interfered so much with your stories back in Metropolis.” She knew that was about as close to an apology as Lex got.

“I realize that you were just doing what you thought you had to do in order to protect your investments,” Chloe replied carefully. If Lex realized she was skirting the question, he didn’t bring it up.

“You know,” he mused. “I thought I’d be relieved when you departed. I’ve dealt with reporters before, but none as tenacious as you. I find I miss your doggedness, though. I’ve often thought of you as my most worthy adversary.”

“I don’t know about that,” she protested. “I still keep up with the Planet. Lois seems to be a persistent enough thorn in your paw.”

“Thorns are insignificant and irritating, not truly damaging,” he said dismissively. “She’s nothing I can’t handle.”

“You might not discount her just yet. Tenacity runs in the family.”

“But subtlety does not. Your cousin sees things in black and white. You’ve always seen the whole spectrum. That’s what made you dangerous to me.”

“How so?”

Lex idly laced his fingers together.

“You seem to have a talent for making intuitive leaps,” he elucidated. “You always found out about projects that I went to great lengths to keep hidden. I have to wonder if it’s because you think the same way that I do. You don’t see the things as being black versus white, or good versus evil. As a result, you see more than other people.”

“So you’re saying that I’m more likely to dig up dirt on you because I operate on the same morally ambiguous plane?”

“I don’t mean to imply that you operate on that plane, necessarily,” he clarified. “Just that you recognize that it exists.”

“Why, Lex,” she grinned, picking up her wine glass. “I do believe, in your own convoluted way, you just paid me compliment.”

“I’m simply expressing my feelings about you as a professional,” Lex demurred. “In the spirit of letting you know where I stand.”

“Then I will admit that what you say has a certain truth. I do recognize the gray areas, because I think most of the world functions somewhere in there. I’ve never thought that a person can solely be one thing or another. ‘Every sweet has its sour; every evil its good.’”

“Emerson,” Lex identified automatically. Chloe sighed, dramatically.

“One day,” she swore. “I will come up with a quote you can’t identify.”

“I’m going to take that as a challenge,” Lex replied between sips of his wine. “And try to stump you first.”

“Good luck. After our first ill-fated interview, I made it a point to commit Bartlett’s to memory.”

“That’s a hardly a fair fight,” Lex protested.

“’When defeat is inevitable, it is wisest to yield.’”

“Quintillian.”

“Damn, you’re good.”

Chloe hadn’t intended to invite Lex up to her apartment for coffee. She wasn’t sure what surprised her more – that she made the offer in the first place, or the fact that he accepted so readily.

Lex had loosened his tie and was sprawled out on her couch. Well, that wasn’t true, exactly. He reclined back a little, with his legs just slightly askew. Still, that was about as close as Lex Luthor ever got to sprawling, and she wondered what made him so comfortable around her.

Chloe’s apartment was small and cluttered. The desk in the corner wasn’t nearly enough to contain her research, and so every available surface in the living room was scattered with hand-scribbled notes. She had swept them up apologetically, ducking around him, while avoiding his amused glances.

Despite the relative lack of space, she had never thought of her home as particularly confined. Still, Lex seemed to positively dominate the space. She was relieved when the coffee was done brewing, so she could escape to the kitchen for a few moments.

She fixed her coffee the way she liked it and left his black. When she rejoined him in the living room, she sat at the other end of the couch, tucking her feet underneath her. She had kept on the dress she had worn to dinner. She longed to change into her pajamas, but it seemed too informal. At least she had gotten to take off the damned high heels.

Lex had been studying her all night, so Chloe figured she was well within her rights to examine him right back. He was starting to get older, and it showed in the new lines around his eyes. He seemed slightly more fatigued than she had remembered. He carried himself the same way though, all focused energy, and coiled intensity, and Chloe was relieved to see that a trace of wry humor still glinted in his eyes.

Lex submitted to her scrutiny without comment, and sipped at his coffee serenely. Chloe allowed a small smile to curve around her lips, and he mirrored it.

“I was wondering if you’d tell me something,” he asked, leaning forward.

“Okay. I’ve often thought Duran Duran was underrated.”

Lex looked confused.

“You wanted me to tell you something,” Chloe reminded him, smirking. Lex rolled his eyes

“You’re so precise,” he groused.

Chloe grinned at him, then winced as her foot cramped up. She stretched her legs out, then rotated her ankles and flexed her toes.

“Are you all right?”

“I’ll be fine,” she sighed. “I’m just experiencing some belated rebellion from my feet as repayment for wrangling them into those torture devices that passed as shoes.”

Lex leaned over and set his mug on the coffee table, catching Chloe’s ankles as he sat back up. He pulled her feet into his lap, angling her whole body so that she was facing him. She made a muffled noise of surprise, then trailed off into an ecstatic sigh as he focused on her left foot, massaging her arch with his strong fingers.

“Good?” he asked casually.

“Oh god yes,” she sighed. “If that whole evil overlord thing doesn’t work out, you should definitely be a masseuse.”

“I think since I’m a man, I’d be a masseur,” he corrected mildly. “And I’m not evil.”

"'Evil is obvious only in retrospect,'” she quoted.

“Gloria Steinem,” Lex replied, boredly. Chloe raised an eyebrow.

“Why Lex, I never took you for a feminist,” she drawled. Lex ignored her.

“It’s an interesting sentiment,” he said, pulling gently on her toes. “If one were to hold to that view, it would follow that what is currently perceived as good, could be recognized in retrospect as evil. Which then necessarily implies the reverse. All you can do is do what you believe is right. An accurate moral assessment cannot be made until the repercussions play out. And anyway, ‘what is done out of love always takes place beyond good and evil.’”

“Nietszche.”

Lex smiled.

“That was an easy one.” He discounted her triumph, and she stuck out her tongue at him.

“He also said, ‘talking much about oneself can also be a means to conceal himself,'” she continued. “So, what was it that you really wanted to ask me?”

He switched to her right foot, and she moaned in gratitude.

“I was wondering how long you’ve known that Clark is Superman,” he said casually, as though he was discussing the weather.

Chloe pulled her foot from his grasp.

“I don’t know what you’re talking about,” she denied.

“Don’t play stupid, Chloe. It’s the one thing you’ve never been convincing at. I know the truth.”

She looked at him. He wasn’t lying.

“How?” she asked, stunned. He couldn’t have photographic evidence. Clark wouldn’t be that careless. No matter how many stories the Planet ran on him, there would never be a picture.

Lex observed her obvious shock and grinned, predatorily.

“I owe it all to you,” he said grandly. Chloe stared at him.

“I don’t understand,” she said blankly.

“You’re Chloe Sullivan, original proprietor of the Wall of Weird. And yet, you’ve never written a piece on the weirdest denizen of Metropolis. I’ve never been blind to the fact that Clark has unexplainable powers, and from what I’ve seen, Superman’s talents seem to run along the same lines. They also share a decidedly moralistic streak. Downright preachy, really.”

“Lois seemed to have the beat pretty well-covered,” Chloe said faintly, trying to rally. “I didn’t need to write about him too.”

“Lois spouts the party line,” Lex spit. “She writes puff pieces about his unimaginable heroism. You wouldn’t have. You would have dug deeper, because you know that most of the people in Smallville who developed some kind of meteor power were quickly corrupted by it. The only way you would have left Superman alone was if you already knew him and trusted him. Clark’s the only person I can think of who fits the bill.”

“I’m not going to discuss this with you,” Chloe said firmly.

In a moment Lex was on his feet. He leaned down and grabbed Chloe by the shoulders, hauling her up, holding her face so she had to look at him.

“How can you be so foolish?” he hissed. “Don’t you see that he’s dangerous?”

“No, I don’t. He’s … he’s Clark,” she said simply, and his hands fell away as abruptly as they had gripped her.

Lex ran his hand over his head as he walked away from her. Chloe gingerly rubbed her shoulder. He stopped by the window and looked out at the city traffic, thrusting his hands into his pockets. Chloe walked over to stand beside him.

“His abilities are … unfathomable,” Lex said, so softly she barely heard him. “Is there any way he can be stopped?”

Chloe thought about the green rocks she still kept in a box under her bed.

“He’s doing good things,” she insisted.

“That’s how it appears,” he said hoarsely. “But how do we know he always will? How do we know that this isn’t a part of some larger agenda?”

“You know him, Lex.”

“I know Clark the man,” he said. “But Superman? The name alone implies he is above the laws that govern humanity. ‘Power tends to corrupt; absolute power corrupts absolutely’.”

“Lord Acton,” she replied automatically, as if they were still trying to one-up each other. He smiled at her tiredly.

“I don’t believe in unchecked power,” he insisted.

“You do understand the irony inherent in that statement coming from you, right?” Chloe jabbed him with her elbow.

Lex rolled his eyes, and she smiled a little at the uncharacteristic gesture.

“I’ll admit that I have more money and influence than the average person,” he conceded grudgingly. “But I’m still a mere mortal.”

“I don’t know about that,” Chloe said dryly. "You do have an uncanny tendency to cheat death.”

“I’m not infallible,” he argued.

“No one is,” she replied.

He seemed to be waiting for her to expand on that notion, but she kept her mouth shut. He heaved an exasperated sigh.

“You’re not going to tell me anything about him, are you.”

“No,” she said.

“Not even why he is the way he is? I just want to understand, Chloe.”

“I get that. But you’ll have to find another source of information.”

He raised an eyebrow.

“We have ways of making you talk,” he intoned dramatically. She cracked a smile.

“Let’s not resort to clichés,” she scolded.

“I bet you can’t name the movie that originally came from.”

“I bet you can’t either.”

“I stumped you first,” he said.

“Nope. Doesn’t count if you can’t cite the source, either.”

“Shit.”

“Besides,” she said airily. “Even though I have little doubt you could find unpleasant ways to pry what knowledge you may think I have out of me, you won’t.”

Lex crossed his arms and regarded her.

“And what makes you so confident?”

She reached up and placed her hand on his face.

“Because we’re friends,” Chloe said firmly. “Or at least, we’re as close as either one of us gets to having friends.”

“Really?” he asked, sounding genuinely curious.

“Of course,” she said. “Just because I think Clark is a good person, I don’t automatically believe that you’re evil. Things are always going to be more complicated than that.”

She dropped her hand but he reached out and took it before it fell to her side.

"Shades of gray, then,” he said.

“I can live with them better than most people,” she replied.

Lex pulled her a step closer, and they both looked out the window once more. It was late, and the streets in her neighborhood were clear. A police car raced by, lights flashing, siren blaring. The sound trailed off in the distance.

“There are certain things that I will never share with you,” she warned. “Just as I am sure there are matters of your own that you won’t care to divulge to me.”

“I assume that won’t stop you from trying to discover my secrets.”

“Of course not, she admitted readily. “Not if I really think I need to know something.”

She caught his skeptical eye in the mirrored reflection of the window.

“Fine,” she amended. “Or, unless I really want to know something.”

“You can expect the same courtesy from me,” he stated idly.

“I would expect nothing less.”

Krysia
2nd April 2006, 11:25
I have to wonder if it’s because you think the same way that I do. You don’t see the things as being black versus white, or good versus evil. As a result, you see more than other people.”

“So you’re saying that I’m more likely to dig up dirt on you because I operate on the same morally ambiguous plane?”

“I don’t mean to imply that you operate on that plane, necessarily,” he clarified. “Just that you recognize that it exists.”

This was my favourite part because it goes straight to one of the reasons why I love both Chloe and Lex. The fact that they have depth to them. They aren't just black or white , a lot of times they are lost, they don't know what to do and they make mistakes [ and afterwards they have to live with the consequences of these, which in turn helps them grow. Molds them into the people they are ment to be]. It always makes me so mad, when Clark does something ambiguous and than it's just swept under the rug. My favourite is the red kryptonite excuse. Whatever he did it's not really his fault, so he doesn't have to even think about his actions. He hurt Chloe? Oh, well she will get over it. Grr, it makes him so two dimentional.
I also love the whole idea of Lex keeping Clark on his toes [ and in turn Chloe keeping Lex on his ;)]. There is some kind of a balance thanks to that.
Anyhow Great story and I hope there will be more to it, taking place at the wedding they have mentioned perhaps.

Kit Merlot
2nd April 2006, 15:34
Very nice story:D

I like that Chloe and Lex can read each other so easily, and that they both appreciate each other's intelligence and wit.

And as for Superman's becoming corrupt? That is a very valid fear, and Chloe only has her faith in Clark to justify thinking it won't happen.

Nicely done!

autumngold
2nd April 2006, 15:58
Excellent Chlex friendship piece!! I love their discussions and understanding!! Great story!!

Gaia
2nd April 2006, 16:20
Well done story. Shows are couple as the individuals as they are.
Will it have a sequel? :D hope so.

hfce
2nd April 2006, 18:52
That was an excellent read. I love when Chlex come come to an nderstanding. They see life as shades of gray. Which as it should be.

Hope :)

Louie
2nd April 2006, 20:49
lovely, I think you got them both very well.

teb85
6th April 2006, 18:44
Fantastic peice ! I really enjoyed it and you have really captured the characters well !! I'm now off to read the sequel !!

gecko
7th April 2006, 12:31
great story, loved it, loved the interaction between them and how they were trying to one up each other and then come up to an agreement that they would still look for answers no matter what the question was in regard to each other

chrisrose
18th April 2006, 08:52
That was wonderful! Perfect, true characterization... but you left me wanting more. Muuuuuch more. Looking forward to your future fics! :)

sinecure
18th April 2006, 10:30
Very nicely done. I think you captured them both so well. The back and forth was excellent. I like that Chloe is still standing by her promise to Clark, not to reveal his secret and that it extends to his weakness. I've always thought Chloe would keep that promise. I also like that she doesn't let that stop her relationship with Lex. Friendship, schmiendship, lol, they're totally doing it. ;)

falseeyelashes
19th April 2006, 04:14
I love this. If the writers of the show wrote Chloe and Lex this way, they would make an avid viewer out of me. The dialog is perfect, capturing both the snarkiness and the understanding inherent in their relationship. And I love the whole shades of gray concept because it is exactly what the two of them are all about. Just sending my love. Off to read your other piece. I look forward to more!

starmoon
24th April 2006, 23:00
I love this. If the writers of the show wrote Chloe and Lex this way, they would make an avid viewer out of me. The dialog is perfect, capturing both the snarkiness and the understanding inherent in their relationship. And I love the whole shades of gray concept because it is exactly what the two of them are all about. Just sending my love. Off to read your other piece. I look forward to more!

falseeyelashes is right the writters of smallville should make chloe and lex this way things would be so much better.

campbti
26th April 2006, 23:13
This is a fabulous story, it seems very lush in the way that you tell it with the emotions creeping out on each side. The characterizations are spot on, in my opinion. I think the inability to see grey is what has ruined smallville, it may work great in a comic book for a nine year old, but it can't work for long for adults on televisions. The complexity of the world, the grey is what makes it interesting and as someone else pointed out everything else (like Clark) two dimensional.

Excellent work, and I look forward to reading more of your stories.

Pieper
17th May 2006, 22:45
Wonderfull story.

happybum
27th May 2006, 23:54
i loved the banter between them, their legendary chemistry. I'm glad that your wrote a sequel to this lovely story. I'm going jump into the next one. Fab job. =]

angie284
8th June 2006, 05:00
First read this over at your livejoural. I'm the dork who didn't realize
sadie kate and sadiekate are in fact the same person :P. Great banter between the characters. Hope to read more chlex fics from you.

Esther25jm
25th June 2006, 08:55
Wow, this was fantastic! Their characteristics haven't changed and my favorite part: Lex telling Chloe that they're alike in some ways. I never watched the show before this season, but after watching clips from the earlier seasons and reading the character bios.....they are alike in so many things. It's what makes me love them both so much and want them together. This story just depicts that in a much stronger level. Great job!

kimmie
28th June 2006, 18:06
You're a fantastic writer and i look forward to reading more from you in the future...please!!!

-K-

ggdoll18
29th June 2006, 21:38
very nice work!!!

sylvia
1st July 2006, 12:45
This is utterly brilliant, pure, classic Chlex. Your story revealed the characters deep down, yet it never became overladen with sentiment. Instead, you kept it subtle, yet precise, and brimming with all the verbal judo one could ask for. This is the greatness 'Smallville' could have had if the Chlex potential hadn't been squished by Those Idiots At The WB. Fantastic work, you made my day. Now go and write more! :)

~*~Tasha~*~
4th July 2006, 21:56
I've read this piece now too. Nice meeting for the twoof them. It seemed appropriate, and their reparte was appropriate too. nice banter and challenging between them. It all works for me.

blip_dragon
7th September 2006, 09:15
Excellent characterisations, choice of quotes and storylines. Plus, a very nice method for Lex to work how Chloe knew who Superman was - simple but not obvious and quite realistic. I look forward to reading future stories of yours.

Nonhalema
23rd June 2007, 13:12
Great...really good story

SVfan1286
19th September 2007, 08:34
This was a wonderful story of the future. I love that Chloe left behind Clark and Lois and moved to New York and became a strong independent woman. The Chlex conversations were brillantly written, in completely in character.

That's why I love Chlex so much, they are complex and live in shades of gray, not in boring black and white.

Amazing story, extremely well written!

malugargula
20th September 2007, 01:28
Great fic
:)

happybum
2nd April 2008, 03:19
lovely fic. :D

Booksketeer
25th March 2009, 19:52
This story is awesome! Had I not went to vote on the stories, I probably would never have come across it. I love it!

Pampermousse
31st March 2009, 23:53
Great story - I'm just reading your stories now actually - they're fantastic! I can't believe I have missed them

Azulblade
2nd April 2009, 22:30
great story! im gonna have to go look for more of your stories now. btw you got me curious and i looked up that quote and found that the line was first used in Lives of a Bengal Lancer (1935) though the actual line used in the movies was "we have ways of making men talk" i think.

excusemymuse
30th June 2009, 19:50
Wow, I don't think I've read such eloquent fanfiction. Though I suppose I have learned to expect brilliant writing from most Chlex writers. Wonderful characterizations, and I'm actually a little proud of myself for recognizing some of the quotes. It left me wanting more, which is good because it's a testiment to how well written this is, and bad because you didn't most more in here...

Ami Rose
11th August 2012, 07:05
Loved it

skatiefan
19th November 2012, 00:31
This was cute. I thought Lex was going to kiss her at the end though. I liked this.

ghaziak
24th November 2012, 02:37
really good!!! loved it!

malugargula
29th December 2012, 03:53
Great fic