PDA

View Full Version : Alone But Never Lonely (PG-13) - Complete

PMD
31st December 2005, 20:23
This was a piece I posted the beginning of this past year on other lists I belong too. I am going to be working on a New Years Piece for this year but I'm a bit behind, since I'm right now working on a VM piece for Christmas---I did mention I was behind, even in the VM thing too. <g> Anywho, here's something to tide you over until my muse can get into her Lex or Chloe voices---or maybe even both. :) Enjoy.

Title: New Years Eve Fic - "Alone But Never Lonely"

Author: PMD

e-mail: mary.davidson@sympatico.ca

Rating: PG-13

Category: Friendship, Chlex, futurefic, Lex's POV, AU

Spoilers: Anything is fair game up to Gone.

Summary: Lex can be alone but never lonely ever again, after a certain blonde meets up with him one New Years Eve Night.

Disclaimer: To whomever owns Smallville, its characters, Yahoo, and Bruce Wayne, I'm just borrowing them, will give them back, not making any money with their use in this piece, so don't sue me.

Archive: At BtS, BT2, Electricchlex, MD, N.S. Forums, SPP, WBFFZ and Malu's site for the time being. If anybody else wants it, all they have to do is ask.

Author Notes: First, I dedicate this to my friend Jay, who allowed me to use his name in this piece. I also dedicate this to all my friends on the list. And a special thank you to David, for checking this over. Enjoy.

New Years Eve Fic - "Alone But Never Lonely" - by PMD

The Penthouse - Metropolis

I walk into the penthouse, knowing it will be empty tonight.

James and Sandra have been given the night off to go celebrate with their loved ones. My loved one is gone---couldn't be helped even with my money. She's on a fact finding mission for a column, and I miss her, even though she left just a day ago. I feel like a part of me is missing---I'm alone once more but never lonely, as she constantly tells me.

I look around our home and smile. Yes she's right; I'm alone but never lonely. A part of her is in each room of this warm haven of ours.

A favorite chair in the living room---worn but welcome.

A favorite dish in the dining room---dinged but still delicate.

A picture or two tacked to the fridge door---frayed but still photo-approved.

A stray stocking hanging in the bathroom---loose and still lovely.

A patchwork pillow she worked on, placed on our bed---lopsided but still beautiful.

I let out a sigh and walk over to the computer---she promised to send me an e-mail.

I turn it on and there it is:

To: Lordofthemanor@yahoo.com

Hey Handsome:

I tried to call you at the office but you were in a meeting. Sorry I missed you but I got good news. I might be getting back sooner than we thought. So, I'll see you in a couple of days. Keep the home fires burning. And remember---you might be alone but you'll never be lonely, as long as I'm around.

Love you, Husband.

Chloe (the light in your life)

Back sooner than we thought. Good news all right.

I sit before the computer and type away:

To: Ladyofthemanor@yahoo.com

Hey Sweetheart:

Handsome---me? Gee, are you thinking of Clark again? <g> Sorry, I had to get that out.

I'm so happy you'll be coming back sooner than later. But I'm a little pissed that my secretary didn't let you call into the meeting. No, I won't fire her. That's the old me---the new me will just tell her never to do that again. And then tell her she's doing a great job.

Chloe, I miss you terribly. But I know, I'm alone but never lonely, because a part of you is always with me. Just wish you were here, in the flesh, so I could kiss you on our first New Years Eve as a married couple. Well, there's always next year. Won't feel the same though.

Love you, with all my heart and all my soul.

Lex (the light in your life)

I push send and then check out the other e-mails. Work goes to one file to be checked out in a day or two. This is the holidays and contrary to what my father says, holidays aren't for work.

I answer an e-mail from Clark and Lana and then close up the computer, leaning back and thinking about the New Years Eve, a year ago, and meeting up with an old friend; and finding love that magical night.

~

A Year Earlier

"Oh, Alexander, this is so beautiful."

I look at my date for the moment and raise an eyebrow. "Yes, it's nice."

She gives me a scowl. "Alexander not having fun?"

Geez---a date that treats me like a child, how wonderful.

I give her a smirk and look away. Ahhhh---the boring scum of the Earth; how far you have fallen, Lex. I wish I were home, alone, watching TV instead.

I feel her hand on my arm and look at the brunette. "Yes?"

"Well, if you're not going to be any fun, I'm going over there to talk to my friends."

She gives me a quick kiss on the cheek and is gone---thank you, God. I owe you one.

I turn to look at the others and think---I want to get out of here, now!

I walk through the crowd and find the doors to the balcony. I open them and walk out, breathing in the cool night air---relishing its tartness and civility. Inside is the devil's playground---outside, heavenly bliss.

I close the door and walk over to the edge, enjoying the beautiful lights out in the distance. Then my world is bothered by the opening and closing of a door.

"Dana, could you leave me alone for one moment?"

"I would, if I were Dana."

I turn around to see her standing there, an old friend whom I never knew I missed until she was there, smiling, her arms stretched out.

"Hey, Alex."

"Chloe?"

"Yeah, it's me, under this get-up. I bet you never thought you would see me in such a fancy dress, eh?"

I give her a classic smirk as I walk towards her. "You clean up good, Sullivan."

She gives it back. "You look good too, Alex."

I pull her into my arms, unsure she's really here until I do. I feel different---not alone in this crazy world, with her here. And I know, if she's gone again, I will feel alone again. I've got to tell her how I feel before she slips away---that I feel, what? Love? Friendship for her? Or both? But first:

"I'm lonely, Chlo."

She backs away, placing a hand on my cheek, stroking it until my eyes close. And with her next words, I know what I feel---probably always felt but were afraid to say, even to myself, because I had been hurt before by it.

"You'll never be lonely again, Alex, as long as I'm here. Alone, at times but never lonely. I promise you that. Alex, I love you."

I open my eyes, cup her face with my hands and lean in, about to kiss her; about to show her that I love her too; when the door opens again.

"Alexander, what the hell is going on here? I'm your date."

I back away from Chloe and she turns around.

"Dana, I'd like you to meet Chloe. Chloe, I'd like you to meet Dana."

Dana's eyes narrow as she walks up to Chloe, sizing her up. "Boyfriend stealer!"

"Excuse me!" Chloe replies.

"Ladies, will you please stop this!"

They look at me now. I let out a sigh. "Dana, I like you, don't get me wrong. But I just don't love you; I love Chloe. You'll find somebody, even if she and I have to do the old matchmaker shuffle again."

She let's out a sigh, gives me a tiny smile, and then turns to Chloe. "I'm sorry. It's just that this has happened a few times for me and it's getting old, real fast. Well, I guess you can't force it when it's not there. I wish you the best, Chloe---both of you the best."

Chloe walks up to her and gives her a quick hug, before saying:

"Dana, you will find somebody one day---and we'll help if we can."

"I might just take you two up on that. Well, I guess I better get back to the party---don't worry, Lex. I saw an old friend in there---he'll give me a ride home."

They hug once more and then she's gone, with a quick kiss from me. Then I turn to Chloe and she smiles.

"So, we're going to do this. Not look anymore---we've found the one meant for us. You love me and I love you?"

I nod my head. "And we're also going to leave this party."

"Agreed," she states.

As I put my arm around her waist I wonder, "Chloe, how did you end up here?"

"Well, let me tell you about that this time, next year---something to look forward too."

As I lead her away from the outside and then from the party, I think, we have a lot more than that to look forward too. But why spoil the surprises in store.

~

Back To The Present

A knock at the door breaks me out of my thoughts.

I get up, looking through the peephole, and then open the door. Standing before me is a man with the nameplate, Jay.

"Package for Alexander Luthor."

"That's me," I state.

He hands me a clipboard and I sign it. Then I take the small package and go into my pocket for some cash.

"No, that's okay---the lady took care of it all."

"Lady? Wouldn't be a blonde, about this high?"

"Yeah, and a great smile. Nice package too."

"Careful there----that's no lady, that's my wife."

"Oh, I'm sorry. Didn't mean any disrespect, Sir."

I smile at him. "No problem---she has the same affect on a lot of people. I think it's because she exudes love wherever she goes."

"That she does. Well, I better get going. Have a Happy New Year, Sir."

"You too, Jay."

I watch him walk away and close the door. Then I walk over to the couch and open the package---a DVD?

I place it in the player and turn on the TV:

"Hello, Alex. I promised I would tell you the story of me being at the right place at the right time. Well, here goes."

All of a sudden the TV turns off. What the---?

"Alex?"

I turn around and there she is, standing in the doorway of the living room, dressed in the dress she was in that night.

"Surprise!"

~

I stare at her, afraid to blink and find out she's only an illusion. I get up and walk over to her, touching her cheek and then smile.

"I thought you were---"

"That's what I wanted you to think, Duffus."

I raise an eyebrow and smile. "So?"

"So what?"

"Tell me the story about why you were at the right place at the right time."

She takes my hand and leads me over to the couch, sitting down and pulling me against her. She snuggles and let's out a sigh.

"I guess you might say it was fate. See, that night, I had this date with this idiot I was set up with. He took me to a sports bar and spent the whole night talking with his buddies. And you know how I am about being ignored."

"Yes, I do---not a pretty sight. So, what did you do---dump a pitcher of beer all over him?"

"As a matter of fact, I did. And then ran like hell. I came to the place where the party was, hoping to duck in and stay for a few minutes, while he lost my scent. However, fate had things in store with me."

"And me too."

"And you too. See I promised myself that if I ever met up with you again, I would tell you how it was you I always wanted after you saved me from your father. I went after Clark because I thought that would make you jealous. But I guess you were too busy with other things."

"Or just hiding my feelings."

"Really? You were jealous?"

"Well, at least of possibly losing what we had when you helped me take down my father. But I guess fate had other things in store for us because you were there, that night and so was I. And finally we came forward and now---"

"Now, I'm here and I have a couple of surprises for you."

I back away. "Oh, being here isn't one of them?"

"Okay, three. First off---took some doing---and Bruce's help in hiding it but---we are now the proud owners of a certain ranch in Montana."

My eyes widen in surprise. "The one my father used to own?"

"Yep."

"Oh my---I don't know---I mean, it was on the market?"

"Lex, Bruce bought it a couple of years ago. He just decided it was time to give it up for other things and the only person worthy of it was you---for all the happy memories you had there."

I pull her close to me, hiding the tears threatening to fall.

"Honey, it's okay to cry. I won't think any less of you---or any more of you."

I pull back, laughing. "Thanks. Chloe I mean it---thank you for coming back into my life and making it less lonely."

"Remember---you can be alone but never lonely, for my love is always there, inside your heart."

I lean down and kiss her gently. Then I back away.

"Oh, I do have another surprise for you," Chloe says.

"Nothing could top the last one."

"You think so. Okay---I guess it can wait until it shows."

"It shows?"

"What shows?"

"My belly, silly."

"Your---oh, really?"

She nods her head and smiles. "Yes, Lex, we're going to have a baby. Now, tell me, that doesn't top the other one."

I pull her into my arms, hugging her tightly. I sense her happiness through a sigh. Yes, alone but never lonely---and we'll make sure our son or daughter feel the same way too. For, it is the most wonderful feeling in the world to know you will never be lonely, with the person you love or family you love, by your side.

The End.

hfce
1st January 2006, 18:21
That was so beautiful. :wub:

Happy New Year!!!!

Hope :D

PMD
1st January 2006, 19:34
Awwww---thanks, sweetie. :) And a happy new year to you too, Hope. :) To everybody. :) May it be filled with lots of Chlex for everybody---happy, sad, bad Chloe and Lex, angst, whatever your little heart desires. Chlex rules!

starmoon
8th January 2006, 07:59
great story and i perfect ending yet begging to a wonderful life for them.

PMD
8th January 2006, 17:25
Hey Starmoon:

Awww---glad you enjoyed the story, hon. :) Yep, wonderful life to come for them---I refuse to think that Chloe will go crazy after having a baby---after all, if she hasn't gone crazy now, living in Smallville, will she ever. <g>

~*~Tasha~*~
16th June 2006, 22:37
Awww ... that was sweet, Peggy. {grins} I loved our little Chlexy couple memories in this one.

Alizaleven
16th June 2006, 23:19
Awww goodness that was soo sweet and cute.. I loved the end :D

Nonhalema
17th June 2007, 15:25
Loved it...found the email adresses really funny-great idea